Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: I'm not aligned with Putin, I'm not aligned with anybody. I'm aligned with the United States of America and for the good of the world.
Speaker 3: I'm aligned with the world. You want me to be tough. I could be tougher than any human being you've ever seen. I'd be so tough, But you're never going to get a deal that way.
Speaker 4: Do you have nice ocean and don't feel now, but you will feel it.
Speaker 3: Bless You don't know that. I'm blessed, you're I'm blessed. You don't know.
Speaker 2: Don't tell us what we're gonna feel. We're trying to solve a problem. Don't tell us what we're going to feel. I'm not telling you because you're in no position to dictate that. Remember this, you're in no position to dictate what we're going to feel. You're not in a good position. You don't have the cards right now with us. You start having right now. You don't know your playing car. You're gambling with the lives and millions of people. You're gambling with world two War three. Your country is in big trouble.
Speaker 3: I know you're not winning. Oh you're not winning.
Speaker 2: This, you have a damn good chance of coming out okay because of bread.
Speaker 5: All right, there you have President Trump, President Zelenski, Vice President J. D Vance and others in a very crowded Oval Office and what was a bilateral meeting that turned into an argument. Just bringing that to you as it's coming into our newsroom right now. They jumped in about halfway through the meeting, so we might be able to get you some other comments from the beginning of that conversation. As reporters are escorted outside of the Oval Office, Donald Trump to Vladimir Zelensky, you either make a deal or we are out, he said, telling Zelensky he has to be thankful, and he said it's going to be very hard to do business like this. As President Zelenski tried to make his case to jd Vance, Donald Trump and others, things got very chippy in the middle of that meeting. And we want to assemble our political panel. They were listening along with us here our signature panel together. Rick Davis, Republicans strategist partner at Stone Court Capital, and Genie Shanzano, of course, our democratic analyst and political science professor at Iona University. Rick, I'm not sure I've ever heard anything like that come out of a meeting of world leaders in the Oval Office. Typically an argument like that would be behind closed doors. It just played out for everyone to see. Is this relationship broken? Where do we go from here?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Joe, I'm not sure you would even say that this kind of argument ever happens behind closed doors. I mean, these kinds of state to state discussions are usually finely tuned, they're prepped, They have lots of staff involved making sure that the time that the two principles spend together is well orchestrated and that the outcome is totally predetermined. The idea that you would put these two folks in the Oval Office with a bunch of reporters to hash it out is something I don't think I've ever seen in five decades of Washington state craft. So I think what we just witnessed was something that you know, look, I mean, everybody Knewald Trump kind of you know, goes his own way, but the idea that this is either good for America, good for Ukraine, or good for the world is nuts. This was an incredible failure of diplomacy. And regardless of what happens today, maybe they get a deal and they saw it, you know, showing this makes both countries look weak.
Speaker 5: Wow, Genie, give me your take on this. Was it a conversation? A lot of people stressed out went off the rails when they heard the wrong words from Voladimir Zelensky. He wasn't thankful enough? Or was this a setup? Did Donald Trump and Jade Vance plan to do this with the cameras in the room?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I mean, you know, one of the big questions hanging over this meeting, in addition to security guarantees, which we could probably forget that question for right now, was can we work together? You know, Vladimir Zelenski trying to test out does Donald Trump, you know, like me enough that we can make this happen? And that kind of exchange is just a reminder and interpersonal relationships matter an awful lot in these things, So that seems to be very clear. There is not a lot of love lost there. And of course this is quite embarrassing from the perspective of the United States. He is talking to our ally in this war. He is talking to a country invaded by Putin. In twenty fourteen, seven million Ukrainians have fled their homeland. We are talking of hundreds of thousands of innocent people now dead, four millions still deplaced, and he is being told from the Vice President and the President of the United States, heretofore their allies that you are not being thankful enough to us as you sit here. And so it is quite an embarrassing spectacle. It does look made for TV from my perspective. You wouldn't believe it unless you saw it firsthand, that this was the conversation that the are having, And I can't imagine what it looks like behind the scenes. Is this is what they're displaying?
Speaker 5: Oh my god? Yeah, Well, what do you think, Rick? Did this feel spontaneous? And does this torpedo the bilateral news conference they had planned for ten minutes from now?
Speaker 6: You know, it's hard to tell what they're going to do to put this back together, you know, behind closed doors now, it's going to have to take a lot of work, because I think both principals are going back to their neutral corners ready to come out throwing punches again. Look, I mean, Donald Trump, I think started out this session pretty constructively, and I must admit, I mean the interjections by Vice President Vance really stoked a lot of anger in the room and was really counterproductive, I thought, and even Donald Trump at the end tried to bring it back and saying, look, we just wanted to stop the killing and get a deal. And the elements of a deal are there, right. I mean, he's had great meetings this week with you know, leaders of Europe in France and Great Britain, all of whom have guaranteed certain security measures that they would do in case of a ceasefire or a end of the war. And I mean, like he was walking in the President of the United States into kind of a very positive environment where he could, you know, I didn't have to commit to putting troops on the ground, but you know, could obviously continue to say we're going to supply you with materials and weapons because you're going to pay for them. And that kind of relationship is traditional for US, I mean, and it's sustainable over time. It's a real mature relationship between US and one of its allies and supporters, Ukraine. So everyone thought this was going to be sort of the beginning of a real mature relationship, one that's post combat conflict. And and my impression was that's not something JD. Van's wanted to see happen today and set out to try and derail it there in front of the American public.
Speaker 5: Just about a minute or two he left here Jeanie, Donald Trump invoked Vladimir Putin's talked about what they had gone through, how much they went through together during the Russia investigation. He started doing the Russia, Russia, Russia thing. He got very angry looking as he was referring to this. He also revealed that he just met again recently with Vladimir Putin. Do you think the Russian president had a sense of what this meeting was going to be like?
Speaker 7: You know, it's hard to know. We thought this was a win for Vladimir Zelensky that he got to Donald Trump personally, face to face first. And you know, I think there is going to be some criticism all around, obviously starting with jd Vance, but including Vladimir Zelensky. The reality is Ukraine unfortunately does not have a lot of cards to play. And those were the exact words that Donald Trump used. I'm not sure he needed to say it that viscerally, but that's what he said, and he's right. That's why Zelenski's task today was to do what they told Queen Victoria. Close your eyes and think of England. Close your eyes and think of Ukraine. And the reality is he couldn't get there in the face of JD Vance's taunting, and so I think he's going to bear some criticism on this as well, because the reality is Ukraine needs the support of the United States if they are going to sisto.
Speaker 5: Our panel's going to stay with us, GD Shanzano and Rick Davis. We're going to try to unpack what the heck just happened in the Oval Office. So stay with us right here on Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Balance of Power podcast. Catch us live weekdays at noon and five pm Eastern on Apple Cockway and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app. You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station. Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 5: We're going to have a conversation ahead with former Ambassador Daniel Freed. First, we want to talk with Nick Wadams, who leads our national security coverage here in Washington, DC. Nick, have you ever seen anything like this before?
Speaker 3: No, I have not.
Speaker 8: That was one of the most extraordinary bits of television I've ever seen. Obviously, the President there getting extremely angry, and then Vice President jd Vance essentially asking Zelenski to grovel and to express thanks to the US, which of course he has done many times before for the weaponry and the aid that the US has provided. So an extraordinary moment.
Speaker 9: Well, certainly so. And I guess the question, Nick, is now, what moments come after this? Things have moved behind closed doors. But initially there was supposed to be an agreement signed in front of the press in the East Room of the White House that was supposed to be scheduled to happen at this hour. Is there any indication of whether that will still happen.
Speaker 8: Well, we are trying to figure that out. I mean, the big question here is does that go ahead or are we at an impasse where essentially the relationship is totally broken. I mean, been clear for some time that President Trump was not excited about Volodimir Zelenski. He did at one point call him a dictator. Though then in the last day or two we'd had a turn where it felt like the situation was warming up a little bit, things were getting better. They thought they had a deal that served Ukraine's interests, essentially punted a lot of questions until later, but gave President Trump a document to show his supporters to say, look, we are going to get something out of this.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 8: Seems very unlikely to me that the two sides, without some further intervention, would be willing to sit down and actually put pen to paper, put their signatures on that document. Then the whole thing may end up in total collapse. But we'll just have to see. In the next hour or so, they're also supposed to have a press conference, and of course it's not going to happen, so great question.
Speaker 5: We will bring it to our viewers and listeners if it does. Nick. That was scheduled to begin seven minutes ago, but obviously things are running late. Before things started getting angry, Donald Trump said to Voladimir Zelenski, you either make a deal or we are out. You take him at his word.
Speaker 8: Yes, I would take him at his word on that. I mean, you know, the thing that's so interesting is this critical minerals deal. When you get down to it was essentially an agreement to have talks about talks at a later time, So there wasn't really anything in it that actually committed either side to much of anything. And indeed, there was some speculation that this was basically something that Ukraine and some pro Ukraine lawmakers and others in the United States could put in front of President Trump and say, listen, we got this from them. Now we can get down to the real business of actually having real negotiations, both over this deal but over a peace agreement later on. So if President Trump essentially backs out and throws himself in with the Russian side, or abandons Ukraine and lets Russia run roughshot over Ukrainian territory, I mean, this is a critical moment. This is just completely unprecedented. So again, we should have more clarity in the next couple of hours and also in the coming days. But what you really saw here was just the eruption of the hostility. We had known that President Trump felt about Ukraine from some time, but had been restrained from exhibiting. Now it feels like those shackles are basically off.
Speaker 9: All right, Bloomberg's Nick Wadams, thank you so much with reaction to the footage We've all just seen and watching it alongside us now here in our Washington, d C. Studio is Ambassador Daniel Freed, Distinguished Fellow at the Atlantic Council, also former US Ambassador to Poland and former Assistant Secretary of State for Europe here with Us on Bloomberg TV and Radio. So obviously we all saw, we all heard the exchange that happened between these three, ambassador What do you make of it?
Speaker 10: Take a step back.
Speaker 11: The US has an interest in Ukraine succeeding. Our problems in the world get better if Ukraine survives and prospers, and if Russia wins, our problems get worse. It's been quite a week. The Trump plan for Ukraine, as we understand it, could work and was getting some traction ceasefire in place, British and French led force in Ukraine, maybe with American backup, a minerals deal with Ukraine that gives President Trump the ability to say, yeah, I've got a stake in this that could come together, and now this now this blow up. Let's hope, best case that they pull it together. You know, President Trump loves drama for TV. Let's hope that they can pull it together. Sign the minerals deal, move forward, because the US, the Trump administration could succeed and Trump could get what he wants, which is to push back on Putin, be seen as doing so, and be seen as a peacemaker. Now I realize that this may be completely fanciful if in the next few hours this all blows up.
Speaker 10: I get that.
Speaker 11: But my job for forty years Foreign Service officer is to try to look at the way forward, and there is a way forward, which is why my frustration is that the administration keeps stepping on its own policy. This fight in the Oval was not necessary, especially because Zelenski is actually working accord according to Trump's plan. He's ready to sign the deal. I suspect he's ready to accept the seize fire if he gets enough security. Trump could win if he has the discipline to see it through.
Speaker 5: You've been in many rooms with world leaders for very sensitive negotiations. I'm guessing you two have never seen anything quite like that. Did it feel authentic, did it feel spontaneous or was there some show business with cameras and microphones in the room today.
Speaker 11: That's a good question. I watched it carefully. I think Vice President Vance was provoking Zelenski. I think Zelenski could have answered it differently. He was trying to explain the details. That's not what I would have done or advised him to do. But then you had the president and the Vice president basically bullying a democratic leader who is fighting for his freedom and ours. So I don't see what American interest is is advanced by having this fight.
Speaker 10: Was it deliberate? Was it an ambush?
Speaker 11: It's possible, But the larger question remains, what do we get out of having a fight? I know what Putin gets. What do we get? We get a lot. If Ukraine succeeds, and especially if we get the British and French to carry the heavy load of the security burden, that's quite a success for trumpet success for America. I'm all on board, but the administration has to follow its own plan and not get distracted by this stuff.
Speaker 9: Well, on your point, ambassador about it being in US interest to see Ukraine succeed to the extent it can, it did seem. We saw President Selensky trying to make that point when he suggested, yes, I know you're here on the other side of the Atlantic, but you could ultimately feel this. President Trump pushed back on them, saying, you know, don't tell us what to feel. But also then later suggested Zelensky, right now is toying with World War three, which presumably would involve the US, and somehow we aren't immune to conflicts like that, as we saw with the prior World War.
Speaker 10: So which is it? Yeah, President Trump was just wrong about that. We thought we.
Speaker 11: Were safe behind two oceans and then Pearl Harbor, right, we figured it out fast. We can't be the lonely bastion of freedom in the world. That's what Franklin Roosevelt, Harry Truman, and Ronald Reagan taught us. And that's the right lesson and it is the Trump administration in its more wise moments, understood that we're in a period of great power rivalry and we have adversaries Russia, China, Iran. So yeah, let's work with our friends to contend with our adversaries. And Ukraine is our friend. Maybe a little difficult sometime, but still.
Speaker 9: But the President today didn't seem to characterize Russia as an adversary necessarily. When he was asked do you feel in the middle, he said, I'm for both Ukraine and Russia.
Speaker 10: How did you interpret that?
Speaker 11: Well, that's not the language I would have used, and I don't think our position at the UN was very good on Monday where we supported a week resolution. But if that's the way President Trump wants to play it, okay, play it that way, but then land the deal, and the deal has to provide for Ukraine's security because if it doesn't, then we've been suckered by the Russians and diplomacy.
Speaker 10: Don't be the sucker.
Speaker 5: We love talking with practitioners. You're a career diplomat, bring us into the room and maybe not an extent dream like this, But when a meeting devolves, the reporters have left. Who is in the diplomatic delegation? Who gets their arms around this? Do people go to separate rooms? What do you do now? As a diplomat when the meeting just blew up in your face?
Speaker 11: You advise your principle on how to fix it? What do you do to set it right? And you and what do you do in terms of what's possible for you politically? And someone like me is supposed to find a way forward? Sosident. If I were advising President Trump, I would say, look, you made your point. Now tell Zelensky make light of it. Tells Zelensky we need a deal. Let's show people after we've pushed back that we can do that.
Speaker 5: But you get the boss alone in a room. Right now, everyone goes cool off for a minute.
Speaker 11: Now, the national security this is the job for the National Security Advisory And I think Mike Walls.
Speaker 10: Is a serious person.
Speaker 5: He was right in there.
Speaker 10: That's right now.
Speaker 11: I also think that Zelensky, he should Zelenski's people should figure out a way for him to approach Trump and make clear that yeah, he's grateful to the United States, and yeah, he appreciates Trump's role in pushing things forward. Say that it's true enough and it will help. So you at moments like this, the pros scramble, don't wring your hands, don't complain, figure out what you're going to do, figure out the way forward, and do it fast.
Speaker 5: Do They will have this news conference Kaling.
Speaker 9: Well, I was just about to ask, ambassador, do you have confidence that they are able to do that? And we'll see these two having corrected or taken the break that they need, facing the press once again, worse afternoons.
Speaker 11: I'm in an impossible position because we're going to know just how long I am. I would say this because it's Donald Trump who loves drama. And twists and turns. He could easily decide to pull it back. He could now I'm not saying he will, but I don't think all is necessarily lost.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 11: He loves TV drama and he's got one going. But the drama. You don't milk that drama. If you continue the fight, you get more attention and put yourself maybe in a stronger tactical tactical position, if you can come out and say, yeah, that.
Speaker 10: Was rough, but we've agreed.
Speaker 11: So if I were advising the President, I would say, Okay, you pushed hard.
Speaker 10: Now lands Land a deal.
Speaker 5: If you're Donald Trump, you can take credit for saving this day, can't you?
Speaker 10: If things go right, that would be my advice.
Speaker 11: Again, they're not going to ask me, but somebody like me is supposed to advise the president on how to succeed on his term.
Speaker 9: Ambassador, I apologize for interrupting, but we just got a statement from the President which reads as follows. It's amazing what comes out through emotion. And I have determined that President Zelensky is not ready for peace if America is involved, because he feels our involvement gives him a big advantage in negotiations. I don't want advantage. I want peace. He goes on to say he disrespected the United States of America in its cherished Oval office. He can come back when he is ready for peace.
Speaker 5: Pretty remarkable here.
Speaker 11: Well, that's unfortunate, especially because we showed no similar toughness in New York on Monday with a week un resolution. Not good and I don't see what American interest is advanced thereby.
Speaker 5: If there was one voice we could have at the table today, it would be Daniel Freed, Ambassador, thank you so much for being with us at this critical moment in Washington. I'm Joe Matthew alongside Kaylee Lines. Will have much more ahead with our signature panel. This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Balance of Power podcast. Catch us live weekdays at noon and five pm. E's durn On Apple Cockley and Android Otto with the Bloomberg Business Up. Listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 9: Bloomberg just confirming that the joint press conference that was scheduled to be this afternoon between President Trump and Ukrainian President Vladimir Zelensky is canceled after an argument in the Oval Office. Today was originally supposed to be about signing a minerals deal, and no sign that is actually going to take place. As President Trump has taken to true Social saying he is determined that Zelensky is not ready for peace if America is involved. He went on to say he disrespected the United States of America and its cherished Oval Office. He can come back when he's ready for peace.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so we've got a problem. This was a meeting that devolved into a bit of a shouting match. Voices were raised, an argument took place, and we brought you into the Oval Office for this conversation. It was really once Vice President JD. Vance started to address and challenge vladimir' Elenski about not being thankful enough that things started to get chippy. By the time Well Trump was speaking, he was genuinely angry and threatening to pull out of all of these talks. Now you mentioned his post on truth Social. It's possible that Zelenski will talk to reporters in the driveway because we're not getting a East room news conference now. If that happens, we'll bring you into the driveway to hear more from him. His vehicle is still parked in front of the entrance to the West wing, and we've got our panel with us. Kayleie, Rick Davis and Genie Shanzano have been listening and watching along with us. We want to bring you into the oval before we get their take on what just happened for an unprecedented moment in politics, Let's watch and listen.
Speaker 3: Can I ask you? Sure?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 4: So he occupied it our parts, big parts of Ukraine, parts of East and Crimea. So he occupied it on twenty fourteen. So during a lot of years. So I'm not speaking about Jus Biden, but those time was Obama, President Obama, then President Trump, then President Biden, now the President Trump and God bless now President Trump will stop him. But during twenty fifteen, nobody stopped him. He just occupied and took He killed people. You know what the contact twenty fifteen.
Speaker 3: Twenty.
Speaker 4: Four yea, so he kills not here, yeah, by the second right, yes, But during twenty fourteen till twenty twenty two, what the situation the same that people have been dying on the contact line. Nobody stopped him. You know that we had conversations with him a lot of conversations.
Speaker 3: My belateral conversation.
Speaker 4: And we signed with him, me like a new president in twenty nineteen, I signed with him the deal I signed with him. Mccron and mayor kill we signed ceasefire, ceasefire. All of them told me that he will never go. We signed him with guest contract quantrum. Yes, but after that he broken this is fire. He killed a people and he didn't exchange prisoners. We signed the exchange.
Speaker 3: Of prisoners, but he didn't do it. What kind of diplomacy gg us speaking about? What? What do you what do you mean?
Speaker 12: I'm talking about the kind of diplomacy that's going to end the destruction of your country. But mister President, mister president, with respect, I think it's disrespectful for you to come into the Oval Office to try to litigate this in front of the American media. Right now, you guys are going around and forcing conscripts to the front lines because you have manpower problems. You should be thanking the president for trying to bring it into this conflict.
Speaker 4: Into Ukraine that you say, what problems we have? I have been to come one.
Speaker 12: I've actually I've actually watched and seen the stories and I know what happens is you bring people, you bring them.
Speaker 3: On a propaganda tour.
Speaker 12: Mister President, are do you disagree that you've had problems bringing people in your military have? And do you think that it's respectful to come to the over office of the United States of America and attack the administration that is trying to trying to prevent the destruction of your country?
Speaker 3: A lot of questions. Let's start from the beginning. Sure, first to all.
Speaker 4: During the war, everybody has problems, even you. But you have nice ocean and don't feel now, but you will feel.
Speaker 3: It in the future. God bless you. Don't know that. I'm blessed. You're un blessed. You're not.
Speaker 2: Don't tell us what we're going to feel. We're trying to solve a problem. Don't tell us what we're going to feel. I'm not telling you because you're in no position to dictate that. Remember this, you're in no position to dictate what we're going to feel.
Speaker 3: We're going to feel very good, feel influenced.
Speaker 2: We're going to feel very good and very strong, will feel influenced. You're right now not in a very good position. You've allowed you to be in a very bad position. That happens to be right about.
Speaker 3: From the very beginning of the war, not in a good position. You don't have the cards right now with us.
Speaker 2: You start having right now, you pays. You're gambling with lives and millions of people.
Speaker 3: You're gambling with world War three. You're gambling with World War three.
Speaker 2: And what you're doing is very disrespectful to the country. This country. It's back to you far more than a lot of people said they should have.
Speaker 12: Have you said thank you once this entire meeting. No, in this entire meeting, you said thank you. You went to Pennsylvania and campaigned for the opposition in October, offers some words of appreciation for the United States of America and the president who's trying to save your country.
Speaker 4: Please, you're seeing that if you will speak were loudly about the war.
Speaker 2: He's not speaking loudly. He's not speaking loudly. Your country is in big trouble. No, No, you've done a lot of talking. Your country is in big trouble. I know you're not winning. You're not winning this. You have a damn good chance of coming out okay, because.
Speaker 3: Of the president. Were staying Yawa country.
Speaker 4: Staying strong from the very beginning of the war, we've been alone, and we are thankful.
Speaker 3: I said, thanks, you haven't been keping it. You haven't been alone.
Speaker 2: We gave you, through this stupid president, three hundred and fifty billion dollars.
Speaker 3: We gave your military equipment. You and you men are brave, but they had to use our military one.
Speaker 2: If you didn't have our military equipment, If you didn't have our military equipment, this war would have been over in two weeks.
Speaker 4: In three days, I heard it from Puttin in three days. This is how maybe less in two weeks. Of course, yes, it's.
Speaker 2: Going to be a very hard thing to do business like this.
Speaker 13: I'm gonna tell you they thank you, I said, except that they're accept the American except that there are disagreements, and let's go litigate those disagreements rather than trying to fight it out in.
Speaker 12: The American media when you're wrong. We know that you're wrong.
Speaker 2: But you see, I think it's good for the American people to see what's going on. I think it's very important. That's why I kept this going so long. You have to be thankful. You don't have the cards. You're buried there. You're people that died. You're running low on soldiers. Listen, you're running low on soldiers. It would be a damn good thing. And then then you tell us I don't want to cease fire. I don't want to cease fire. I want to go and I wanted this.
Speaker 3: Look, if you.
Speaker 2: Could get a ceasefire right now, I tell you you take it. So the bullets stopped flying and your mint stuff courting killed.
Speaker 3: We want to stop the war. But you're saying you don't want to see you.
Speaker 2: I want to see guarantee because you get a ceasefire faster than any.
Speaker 3: Greet core people about fire. What they see.
Speaker 2: That wasn't with me, That wasn't with me. That was with a guy named Biden, who was not a smart person.
Speaker 3: That was your That was with Oba. Excuse me.
Speaker 2: That was with Obama, who gave you sheets and I gave you javelins. I gave you the javelins to take out all those tanks. Obama gave you sheets. In fact, the statement is Obama gave sheets and Trump gave javelins. You got to be more thankful, because let me tell you, you don't have the cards. With us, you have the cards, but without us, you don't have any cards.
Speaker 9: And there you have it. The dispute in the Oval Office between President Trump, Vice President JD Vance, and Ukrainian President vladimir's Lensky, which has now resulted in the cancellation of a press conference that was supposed to be held at this hour with Trump and Zelensky, and Donald Trump saying on true social that Zelensky can return when he is ready for peace. We are watching outside the White House to see if the Ukrainian president does indeed depart and whether or not he speaks to press in the aftermath of this, given that the scheduled time at which he could have done so has now been called off.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: We should note, by the way, that this is an incredibly busy day at the White House. There are scores of reporters there who also came from Europe, came from Ukraine. Not to mention, of course, the American reporters who were there for a very important day that we expected to see the signing of a minerals deal between the US and Ukraine. The briefing room is packed, The Oval Office was packed with those selected to be part of the pool today, but there will be a throng of reporters. I believe Josh Wingrove described it as a zoo when he got there earlier this morning. They're in the driveway, as you can see now on Bloomberg TV and on YouTube, the vehicle that brought Vladimir Zelenski to the White Houses waiting for him just outside the West Wing entrance. And if we were able to pull out a bit, you'd see the sticks, as they call it, the stakeout position, where microphones and cameras are waiting for him. So, Kaylee, he may well take some questions. We'll find out together.
Speaker 9: Indeed, and while we wait to find out, we turned back to our signature political panel who was with us today, Rick Davis and Jeanie Schanzy know both Bloomberg Politics contributors. Rick, given what we all just listened to again, the tone, the language that these three were using with each other in the Oval Office of all places, are you surprised that things cannot move forward in the aftermath, or at least don't seem to be moving forward now?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you would think that they'd set aside the emotion that the statement referred to from the White House and regroup with their teams. I can imagine National Security Advisor Walls is in conversations with the President, Vice President and his team trying to make something out of this. You don't get these opportunities very often to have something go forward toward a constructive piece agreement like today was planned to be, and allow something like the spectacle and the Oval Office to derail it. But the statement is speaks for itself. It sounds like there's no further progress that will be had today and these teams will have to reset and find a new avenue toward diplomacy. So this is not followed along the lines of any diplomatic effort. I've ever seen lots of momentum coming into today with the meetings earlier this week with the Prime Minister of the UK and the President of France, and you would have thought that this would have resulted in a very positive, constructive outcome. Instead have high fives in the Kremlin. This is exactly what they would have wanted to see happen, and it's going to be a big step backwards in stopping the fight that Donald Trump claims is his number one priority, stop the bloodshed.
Speaker 5: High fives in the Kremlin. Genie, would it be smart politically for Zelenski to come out of that west wing entrance we're looking at right now, and take questions from reporters, try to make this case or is he dig the hole deeper for Ukraine.
Speaker 7: You know, it is such a tough call for Zelensky. He had one big job to do, which was to try to mend a here to for difficult relationship with Donald Trump today. And the clip you played is so important because you can hear him at the offset of that trying, you know, fairly innocently to explain to JD. Vance and the President the history he is a board leader for three years, the history of his going back to twenty fourteen, the two Minsk Agreement signed that Vladimir Putin after invading his country did not live up to, and trying to explain to them why they cannot trust or he cannot trust Putin to live up to an agreement now, and then you hear JD. Vance come in like a quite frankly, like he was talking to one of his young children or something, berating Zelenski. And then of course Donald Trump jumped right into that. And you know the reality is is that this is going to be very very tough to repair. It doesn't mean we won't get that rare earth mineral deal, but this goes so far beyond that. And I think one thing to watch for here is can Marco Rubio and Waltz, who are more interventionist in the traditional sense, walk Donald Trump off the ledge here and walk this back and get this deal back on track. I don't know if it's possible, but there is a big division in this administration between those who are non interventionists like JD. Vansho, by the way, in the Senate did not support aid for Ukraine, and those like Rubio and Waltz. And we have to see if they can bring Donald Trump back to the idea that a deal on the rare mineral or earth minerals would be give us a leg up economically, and then that would sort of, you know, lay the groundwork for them to move forward with a potentially relationship to be built on with Zelensky. But very very tough for Zolensky, three years at war, so many people dead, in displaced, to have to listen to the Vice president demanding that he be more express more gratitude and quite frankly the ahistorical, you know, renditions of what has happened in his own country, well.
Speaker 9: To Genie's point, Rick be as we consider the cast of characters here beyond just the President and Vice president, Secretary of State Marco Rubio, national Security Advisor Mike Waltz, those who are more hawkish in Congress, who have long supported Ukraine. I'm thinking here, Senators Lindsay Graham and others. Do you expect a collective voice here could come to check the impulses of the President and Vice president on this one, or is it ultimately what they say that will go because President Trump is suggesting he's communicating directly with Vladimir Putin.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think that's a very good question, Kaylee. What the net effect is going to be with the President's leaders in Republican Party who are, as you describe them, more hawkish toward the Kremlin. So we've not seen much evidence of that, although many of them did come out and vocally reinforced the fact that when the President called Zelensky a dictator, they pushed back on that and made it clear that Vladimir Putin's the dictator. So that being said, they have not been. Congress has not played even a marginal role in the peace process, if you want to call it that. After today, and so I can't imagine anybody's going to want to stick their neck out too soon after this debacle to see where it goes from here. So I think everyone's going to wind up taking a big step back and assess the damage in our relationships that this will result from the relationship with our ally the Ukraine's NATO members, and what their reaction to this is going to be other members of our global partners and allies that we have who see this Ukraine war as a microcosm of conflicts around the world that could be to come. And this is obviously going to fan a lot of insecurity in every corner of the world after today.
Speaker 5: If you're just joining us on Bloomberg TV and radio, we were supposed to be bringing you a joint news conference between Trump and Zelenski at this time it has been canceled after a meeting in the Oval office turned sour voice as we're raised, an argument was had, and frankly, it's unclear exactly where this relationship is going and what the status of talks are with Ukraine and with Russia. We are spending time with our signature panel right now, Rick Davis and Genie Shanzeno as we try to get our heads around everything that just happened. Here, Rick, what takes place now that President Zelenski has left the White House, the Diplomatic Corps, national Security Advisor have to hash out what might be the next step here? What do you expect?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm sure the team is meeting right now in the Oval Office with the President of the United States, the National Security Advisor, and other leadership within the White House, those who attended the meeting and those who have responsibilities for the various branches of service that will be involved normally in an event like this with a country as close as we are to Ukraine. And the real question is where do you go from here? How do you look at a trajectory that Donald Trump clearly had a plan right He has been talking directly to Vladimir Putin, creating an opening, massaging egos in the Kremlin to get them to a place where he thinks he could get a deal, you know, probably managing some of his public statements about Ukraine with that in mind, which has strained the relationship with Ukraine, but otherwise has resulted in what we thought was going to be the first step an agreement to give US access to rarers in order to in essence payback some of the money that we've invested in the Ukraine effort that's now shot. The real question is too to me that Vladimir Lensky and his team will meet back, probably at the hotel right across the Lafayette Plaza from the White House, you can see one from the other, and they're going to have to assess do they stay in Washington, do they get on a plane and leave. Do they continue to hold interviews and press availabilities that are currently scheduled, or do they take those off the schedule. Look, this was not a good day for either individual. You know, Vladimir Zelensky came to an Oval office visit knowing Donald Trump well and knowing that he has an explosive and erratic personality sometimes And I don't put any of this on Zelensky, but his reactions didn't result in a meeting that was constructive either, And so both teams are assessing that to this minute to determine where they go from here.
Speaker 9: I think we had all drawn this conclusion already, but Bloomberg is now confirming with sources familiar that the US and Ukraine did not sign that mineral steel today. They failed to sign the agreement on Natural Resources Genie. It's also worth pointing out as we have just seen now a third world leader leaving the White House this week. This follows a meeting which by all accounts seemed to be successful between President Trump and the UK Prime Minister cair Starmer yesterday, a similar one with the French President Emmanuel Crone mcrone on Monday. Where is Europe in all of this, having just had those meetings, having those two countries, having pledged support for peacekeeping troops, if a deal is ultimately agreed to, what, how are our allies likely viewing what went down today?
Speaker 7: Well, they have to just be as stunned as we all are. I mean, this was supposed to be to your point, Kelly, the book end of this week of meetings that started off with McCrone and Starmer and seemed at least on the face of them, to have been pretty successful in terms of, you know, trying to pull Donald Trump over to the recognition that the United States has a role to play in securing the future of Ukraine. And that is obviously not you know, not at all. What we've seen go on here, and I do think we have to think long and hard now about this deal. This deal was first broached by Zelensky last year. It seems to have been Waltz and Rubio who tried to bring it up again as a means to get Donald Trump on board, because we know he likes to make deals and this would allow us to get as many rare earth minerals maybe as China, or at least move in that direction. But all along the way he has been no friend of Vladimir Zelensky or Ukraine. And of course now he has a vice president who has long expressed consternation about our support of Ukraine. So you know, as we watch this go down, I am not so sure that it is going to be resurrected quite as easily as some people think. Because for Donald Trump, this is, you know, a sense that he has long had that there are points at which Vladimir Putin has spoken that he reiterates often, and he has a very very different view of the war in Ukraine than the United States have express prior.
Speaker 5: Jenny Schanzino and Rick Davis, our signature panel Bloomberg Politics contributors on a Breaking news Friday here in Washington, d C. I'm Joe Matthew alongside Kaylee Liones. We want to bring you back to the White House right now. You just saw President Zelenski's suv with a van carrying the Ukrainian delegation head right down the driveway out of the complex, as Rick said, across Lafayette Park to the hay Adams Hotel. They drove right by our tent on the north lawn where we find Bloomberg's Tyler Kendall right now with the latest what else is going on there?
Speaker 14: Tyler, Well, Joe. Just to stark difference from when Zalinski arrived at the White House this morning, he was greeted by an honor guard. Fifty six service members carrying flags of each of the US states and territories greeted him. I watched him and President Trump have that handshake right in front of the West Wing, and then just how quickly this has evolved. I mean, waiting for Zelenski to come out here on the White House North lawn, every reporter came out. You could hear a pin drop as we waited for that door to open. Ultimately with Zelenski coming out, not answering any of our questions. We also saw the rest of his delegation pile into their vans as they slowly drove out of these Northwest gates right behind me. So big developments about what happens here next. We're waiting to see if we get any additional information from this White House, if they're going to brief US reporters about what the next steps are coming. But Bloomberg News confirming that that critical minerals deal was not signed, something that President Trump said was critical for the US to move forward when it comes to negotiations to end this war in Ukraine.
Speaker 9: All right, Bloomberg's Tyler Kendall live at the White House on a historic day. I think we can all say thank you so much. And we want to add the voice now of Kelly Griico, senior fellow with the Stimpson Centers Reimagining US Grand Strategy program with us here on Bloomberg TV and Radio. Kelly, we have been checking in with you throughout the duration of this war, which is now, of course, in its fourth year. And we should all bear in mind that the President Zelensky, who we just saw leave the White House is also leading a country who is still actively at war, and I wonder how this scene playing out in Vladimir Putin obviously going to be able to bear witness to this, impacts what will actually be happening on the ground and how things move forward from here.
Speaker 15: Yes, well, thank you for having me. I will say it's a little speechless having just watch what happened. I think the good news, if there is ending at the moment, is that just in the last few days, the Ukrainian government has said publicly that they're able to sustain themselves in terms of funds, equipment, and ammunition for at least the first half of this year, so there won't be an immediate impact on the battlefield in terms of material shortages. The only thing I can anticipate if there, for some reason the United States cut them off of information intelligence sharing. We've been providing a lot of ISR intelligence, surveillance, reconnaissance information that helps the Ukrainians with targeting, and if that was to be cut off, or if they were lose access to Starlink, which of course is a Musk company, that would have a major impact.
Speaker 5: It's pretty remarkable. To your point, Kelly, I never thought we'd be talking about a moment like this, everyone we're talking with is sharing the same sentiment that you have here. It's like that moment you can't believe you're getting into a fight or was it was that stagecraft? At the same time, this is a conversation that a lot of Donald Trump's supporters were probably looking forward to hearing and seeing, not fans of President Zelenski, and they don't think that he has been grateful enough.
Speaker 15: What's your thought, Yes, I mean, I will say that my interpretation of what happened is I see it as it looked to me like he was baited, To be honest, I think the administration was probably unhappy with his remarks at Munich, which was sort of a rebuke of the administration. I think they're concerned in the administration that Tolenski is an impediment to peace, that he is the hardest piece in some ways maybe to get peace, because he's he's still very stuck on ambitious goals for Ukraine that may not be realistic, and I think there's some probably desire to maybe publicly try to rain him in. And this seems to me like it was a tactic. It just seemed like sort of a setup right, because he didn't initiate this confrontation was initiated by you know, the Vice president. Zelenski did not handle this well. To be very clear, he fell for the bait, that's clear for sure. But I think that, you know, how this plays out, this is a risky strategy. How this plays out with the American public is going to be very interesting because on the one hand, there's this sense that Zlenskay has maybe not been sufficiently grateful, uh, and you know that we've done a lot, but it also looks a little bit like the President is, you know, publicly humiliating a wartime democratic leader of another country. And so how that plays out it is hard to say.
Speaker 3: Uh, but this.
Speaker 15: Is a This is clearly a very bad, bad moment. And I think the real the real sign to me will be whether Zelensky stays in DC or not and there's a second meeting, or if he ends up going home.
Speaker 9: Well, I guess we're all waiting to find out. Meantime, you're seeing plenty of reaction pouring in on social media, Kelly the Prime Minister of Poland, Donald Tusk saying dear Zelensky, tagging him on Twitter, dear your Ukrainian friends, you are not alone. And with that said, Kelly, we just have a minute left here. But even if the US were to say, all right, we're done with Ukraine now all of our backing is gone, is Europe able to step in to fill that void.
Speaker 15: They can fill a lot of voids, but there are certain niche capabilities like patriot interceptors, face based capabilities that are not they're not able to replace that. Only the United States has those.
Speaker 5: It's great to have you with us, Kelly Griico, Senior Fellow, Stimson Center Reimagining US Grant Strategy Program, one of many voices of experience we've brought to you over the past couple of hours here on Bloomberg TV and Radio.
Speaker 9: Yeah, we do know that President Lensky and the Ukrainian delegation have left the White House, but they have not yet left Washington, nor have they made plans to expedite that process to our knowledge at least, though they did not at least at this time sign that natural resources deal with the United States again. That is what was supposed to happen today. We were expecting to see it in fact at this hour, and that of course is not moving forward, as President Trump is suggesting that Vladimir's Lensky today is gambling with World War three.
Speaker 5: We heard some pretty wild rhetoric together. That's what you could expect on this program every day from Washington, d C. Will bring it to you unfiltered and live when we can, and we'll let you know what's going on when we get back together. Thanks for listening to the Balance of Power podcast. Make sure to subscribe if you haven't already, at Apple, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts, and you can find us live every weekday from Washington, DC at noontime Eastern at Bloomberg dot com.