Speaker 1: Hey guys, Saga and Crystal here.
Speaker 2: Independent media just played a truly massive role in this election, and we are so excited about what that means for the future of this show.
Speaker 1: This is the only place where you can find honest perspectives from the left and the right that simply does not exist anywhere else.
Speaker 2: So if that is something that's important to you, please go to Breakingpoints dot com. Become a member today and you'll get access to our full shows, unedited, ad free, and all put together for you every morning in your inbox.
Speaker 1: We need your help to build the future of independent news media and we hope to see you at Breakingpoints dot com.
Speaker 2: Hey guys, Happy Monday and happy snow Day if you are anywhere in the Midwest or Greater Washington, DC area. I obviously am doing the show from home. Sager will be back with me tomorrow, also probably remote because of the amount of snow that we are getting here, but we've planned I guess i'd say a special show. We've got a bit of a star studded show for you this morning. A bunch of special guests can to join me to help me out. So we've got Shelby Talcott, who's going to join from Semaphore and breakdown what's going on within the Trump administration. Mike Johnson was able to secure speakership kind of relatively easily. Maybe that was a surprise, I don't know. We'll get her insights into what that could mean for the Republicans moving forward. Also going to have Ryan I think is going to join me at some point during the show to jump in for a couple of blocks that are particular interest to him. There was a just horfect interview from Secretary of State Tony Blanken. You know, he was actually confronted by The New York Times about his support, whether the world is going to see this as a genocide, whether a world is going to see him as someone who supported and armed a genocide. So pretty interesting and predictably abhorrent comments from him. Love to get Ryan to join me on that one. And then we also have a bunch of crazy new details on this guy who blew himself up inside of a cyber truck. There are some emails from his phone or some notes from his phone that law enforcement has released. There's also a purported email from him that questions have been raised about, but that he in that alleged email is claiming that he was trying to blow the whistle about drone activity with regards to China. So I'm going to break down everything that I know as best as I know it about that one. I am sorry that Sager's not here for this particular block, but when we get him in tomorrow we can get us two cents on that as well. Also, Elon Musk, not content in meddling in US politics or in German politics for that matter, is now diving headfirst into UK politics. A lot of interesting intrigue there, some strange bedfellows, et cetera. So break all of that down for you. Marian Williamson is going to join. She is now running for DNC chair and big news she's actually secured the number of delegate signatures that she needs to be an official candidate. So always interesting to hear from Marian. You know, a lot of what she was running on domestically, she ended up being very prescient, and it really was a crime not just to her, that's kind of the least of the problem, but to the American people into the Democratic Party that they did not take that Democratic primary seriously. In fact, not only do they not take it seriously, they actively canceled it in a number of states. So this is my first time to really deep dive with Marianne about what happened and her thoughts and reflections and her recommendations for the Democratic Party looking forward. So I'm really looking forward to that. We also are going to have environmental lawyer and activist Stephen Donziger, who was wrongfully imprisoned in really the first nation's first corporate prosecution. He is calling for Biden to pardon him. It is much deserved. Obviously, Biden has made pretty significant use of his abilities to pardon and also to commute sentences, and Stephen Donziger is one of the most deserving people you can imagine to receive a presidential pardon. So he is going to join us to make his case. So jam pack show in spite of the fact that it is me and I'm here at home with the snow is falling, all of that good stuff. So with all that being said, let's go and get to shall be Talcott? All right, guys, happy to be joined this morning by Shelby Talcott, who is national political reporter for Semaphore and does a fabulous job covering the Republican side of the aisle in particular, and there's certainly almost all the actions really on that side at this point. So shell be always great to see you. Thank you so much for taking some time out.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, let me go ahead and throw up on the screen your latest reporting here about Mike Johnson. This was before he actually won the speaker vote. You say, Trump auvvers strategic endorsement of Mike Johnson, and that apparently ended up really being determinative because you know, I fully expected Mike Johnson was going to be the speaker because there really wasn't any alternative, but I thought there would be a little bit more of a fight. So just take our viewers through what happened, what was the timeline, and what led this to being like relatively you know, easy sledding for Mike Johnson open intended there.
Speaker 4: That was really dorky.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So at the end of last year, remember just a few weeks ago there was a big to do about the spending bill when Donald Trump came in and essentially blew it up by saying that he wanted Republicans to address the debt ceiling before he took office. Now, Notably, what ended up happening was a much smaller bill passed without Donald Trump's debt ceiling demand, and that really frustrated Donald Trump and a lot of Republican allies to Donald Trump, and a lot of them blamed Mike Johnson. And so there was sort of this quiet drama brewing over on Capitol Hill. And the reason, one of the reasons that Donald Trump ended up endorsing Mike Johnson was simply because of today, obviously is the election certification. And Trump knew that he needed somebody in the House leadership in order the House speakership in order to certify the election. And so the simplest, easiest option was to back Mike Johnson. He has the most support out of all the lawmakers. And Donald Trump ended up playing a really important role because he was calling lawmakers on Friday ahead of the speakership vote, and even after it seemed that Mike Johnson did not have the votes, he called those two lawmakers up, who ended up switching their votes because Donald Trump called him. And so this really was I think a referendum on Donald Trump's power in the Republican Party more so than it was on how Republicans feel about Mike Johnson.
Speaker 2: I think that's a great point and the most important point probably out of this. So what how did like, you know, Thomas Massey was saying he was the no, Chip Roy was making a lot of noises like he was a no. These are two that you know, tend to be really ideologically sort of cut from that Tea Party mold very committed to lowering the debt and the deficit and all of these sorts of things. Did they get anything out of this or do they just decide like, Wow, there's no real alternative and Trump wants us to go in this direction. We got to get this election certified, so we're just going to go along to get along.
Speaker 3: Well, everybody that I've talked to said that Mike Johnson did not make any specific concessions. What he did do before he came out onto the House floor was he issued an ex tweet of whatever you call them, the these Days hre. He basically said that he was committed to all these fiscally responsible initiatives, which was what a lot of the Maybes were kind of looking for.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 3: I think it is really notable that after the vote, Chip Roy, along with almost a dozen other Republicans came out and said basically that the reason they voted for Mike Johnson was because they want Donald Trump's agenda past, and it had nothing to do with Mike Johnson himself. And in fact, it was despite Mike Johnson's leadership over the past year. And so that's really notable. So I think it really just came down to the fact that Donald Trump was able to convince these Republicans that Mike Johnson was the only option in order to get his agenda passed and to get the ball rolling into administration.
Speaker 2: So it is January sixth today, we all now know very well but likedoral certification is supposed to happen on January sixth. I'm out in King George County, Virginia, about an hour and a half outside of DC. We've probably got about three or four inches on the ground right now. The snow is still falling quite steadily. Are these lawmakers who I was saying, you know, quite seriously to you earlier. Many of them are aged, Many of them have trouble getting around the Capitol in the best of times. We saw Virginia Fox take a nasty fall last week. Are they going to come in and certify this election. How is that all going to work?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I mean I'm looking outside my window right now in DC and it is exactly the same. It's definitely we are snowed in. But despite that, there are no plans to push things back. The election is supposed to be certified today. That is what Donald Trump wants, that is what the rules are, and so I think lawmakers are going to do their very best to get into town now. I know there was some concern about lawmakers who had left town or were told not to leave town and might have left town. So it's going to be really interesting to see who manages to get in. But I do think that every initiative is being made in order to make sure that lawmakers are able to enter.
Speaker 1: The Capitol today.
Speaker 4: Gotcha.
Speaker 2: So the two sort of big early agenda items for the Trump administration are you mentioned? The one dealing with the debt ceiling, and then the extension of the Tax Cubs and Cuts and Jobs Act, which was the big you know, tax cut from Trump's first administration largely goes to the wealthy, has been a big priority and something he really significantly campaigned on. They're also talking of wrapping in a bunch of other stuff in a large reconciliation bill. But let's start with the debt ceiling. That I would ask you what might go into that reconciliation bill and what you've learned there, What is the plan to deal with the debt ceiling? How hard of hardball do you think that Democrats are willing to play here?
Speaker 4: How do you see this all turning out?
Speaker 2: Because I think what Janning Ellen said that they would technically hit the debt ceiling in the next something like ten days, and then they can implement these extraordinary measures which pushes it out. So it's not like a hard deadline. But basically, once you hit that wall, the clock is really ticking to lift or extended or suspended or do something with it.
Speaker 3: Remember Donald Trump wanted this address before he took office. That clearly seems like it's not going to happen. But what Mike Johnson and Republicans did sort of do a handshake agreement on is addressing it early on in his administration.
Speaker 4: And so that is the goal.
Speaker 3: But I think it's going to be difficult because, as we saw with the spending bill, Democrats do not necessarily want to work with Republicans that much, and vice versa. The reason the spending bill blew up was because a lot of Republicans and Donald Trump felt that there were too many concessions made to Democrats. So that in it of self is going to be an issue. But I also think one of the problems is going to be the fact that Donald Trump has come out and endorsed this one big, beautiful bill. As Mike Johnson said on Sunday, that's going to be difficult because it's going to Mike Johnson wants it to include the debt ceiling, he wants it to include border he wants it to include tax cuts. And passing all of that together and getting all of these lawmakers on board with so many different initiatives is going to be a challenge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And just to remind people, reconciliation, that's the process that the Democrats also use to get a number of their priorities through. It basically short circuits the filibuster in the Senate, so you can pass if you have the majority in the House, which the Republicans very narrowly do, and then you have majority in the Senate, you can pass significant things through. You know, there's a bunch of arcane like minutia about how this process works. It's relatively lengthy in terms of, you know, how long it takes to put it together and go through this process, and then they have to submit it to the parliamentarian parliamentarian rules on whether or not these pieces are appropriate to go through the reconciliation process. But there's a lot you can do through there. What are some of the specific priorities that they're looking at through that reconciliation process? And then also do you think that some Republicans, like we mentioned Thomas Massey, chip Roy, are some of them going to have an issue even ideologically with just putting this many things together, because that's one of the complaints that they've had is, hey, let's pass things in individually rather than having these gigantic omnibus style bills where everybody's pet project gets piled into you know, one giant bill.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is kind of exactly what Donald Trump and Republicans had concerns about with the spending bill was that it was so big and had so many initiatives inside of it, and they argued that it should be simplified and cut down, and that all of these individual efforts should be passed individually, and so I think you know they're going to try to close the border. That was originally going to be plan A when Donald Trump took office and lawmakers were considering a two step bill, which would have been do the border first and then get something like the tax cuts done. And the argument that these lawmakers made for that was that it would be easier to pass something like the border we get that closed. Donald Trump wants the border closed. That's priority number one, which most Republicans are on board of. So that would be the easier thing to pass compared to the tax cuts. And so what this bill theoretically, we don't know. The legislation hasn't been made yet. But when Mike Mike Johnson has talked to Fox News on Sunday and we've talked to other lawmakers, and Donald Trump has voiced his opinion. They want to extend the tax cuts and implement some of Donald Trump's new initiatives like no tax on tips would be included theoretically in this legislation. Closing the border would be included in this legislation addressing the debt ceiling. So again, this is theoretically a massive package that Donald Trump wants passed very soon into his administration.
Speaker 2: Men, go ahead and put this up. This reporting from Heather long Up at the Washington Post. She's asking the question, you know, assuming that Republicans are going to have pay fors for the tax cuts and the no tax on tips and the things that they've you know, proposed and are committed to, here's some of the things that you know might be on the list. Tariffs would be significant in order to pay for those days. Repealing clean energy programs. We know that's something that Republicans have had their sites on for a while. Unauthorized spending. This is like a vivac elon Doge thing. They have a theory that certain programs which haven't technically had their spending reauthorized, which by the way, are things like you know, VA healthcare for certain veterans, that they could could slash some programs there, or peeling Biden student loan forgiveness, ending the Education Department, cutting food stamps, implementing Medicaid work requirements, blocking Medicare obesity treatment. I guess that would be blocking like ozembic funding and child tax credit for non citizen parents, and cut the IRS funding, which actually goes in the opposite direction, because funding the IRS helps to collect tax revenue. In any case, do you how serious do you think they would be about some of these cuts. That's been a big, you know, source of interest from Elon and Vivek. Obviously, that's kind of like the whole heart of the DOGE initiative. And is it critical to them that they do pay for the cost of the tax cuts. Last time Trump was in office, he was happy to you know, do the tax cuts, not pay for them and just massively blow up the deficit in spite of Republican rhetoric to the contrary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think, you know, I think they're deadly serious. Right. Donald Trump implemented DOGE, which is Vivek Ramaswami's and Elon Musk's effort to get rid of things in the government and get cut spending. So that alone tells you that he's serious about this initiative. And lawmakers have been meeting with a Vik and Elon Musk on Capitol Hill for the last few weeks, and a lot of Republicans believe that the US government is bloated and that cuts need to be made. And now, obviously I think the big thing with tax cuts would be these tariffs, which is something that Donald Trump has talked a lot about. He says it's going to pay for it all. But there's concerns among some Senate Republicans about using tariffs in order to pay for these tax cuts, and so that alone, I think is going to cause pushback and there's going to be a lot of debate in Congress over whether Donald Trump and Republicans should use tariff. So not everyone is on board with that sort of initiative, which I think has been the main thing mentioned and with theoretically, you know, have the most cost to it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but a lot.
Speaker 3: Of lawmakers aren't yet convinced that that's the way to go.
Speaker 4: Gotcha.
Speaker 2: Last question I have, Ree Shelby, is like, you know, to the best of your sense, how is Trump approaching this administration? Because there's one theory out there that like, you know, he wanted to avoid jail time and winning the presidency was the best way to do that. But he's kind of happy to you know, outsource some of the ideological project and some of the heavy lifting to Elon or Vivague or you know, whatever other lieutenants may have ideolo logical interests, How engaged is he in this particular administration, How hands on, how micromanaging? What are your what's your sense of his headspace and what his top priorities will be.
Speaker 3: You know, I've heard those theories also, and you know, it makes sense to theorize that, but I actually think from my conversations with people inside Trump's orbit, he's very hands on in this and essentially everything that he said during the campaign is exactly what he wants. You know, you think a lot about people say things during the campaign and it's to win the primary and then it's to win the general election, and who knows if they're actually going to implement it. What Donald Trump said on the campaign trail is what we are seeing now he actually wants to implement. So I think that's really important, and he's very hands on. He has met with all of the cabinet nominees so far. But he also does have these different orbits in his circle, right, like Marco Rubio is very different ideologically than Tulca Gabbard and RFK Junior has a different ideological background when it comes to things like abortion, and so that's where I think it's going to be interesting to see and I don't think we know yet because Donald Trump hasn't taken office. But I think it's going to be really interesting to see how those factions work and whether Donald Trump ends up addressing things to directly as he has been right with Congress, he has been the one calling lotmakers directly, or whether he ends up, you know, using Susie Wilds a little bit more, or leaning on Jdie Vans or outsourcing some of these efforts.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, an interesting point you make there too, because you said, you know, he's going to do the things he said on the campaign, which has kind of been my assumption the whole time. It's like he's saying these things, he's running on these things, he won on these things, He's going to do them. But that includes also H one B. I mean, people act like this shift of his, which is genuine shift from twenty twenty to twenty sixteen, like it came out of nowhere. But you were covering the campaign when he went on the All In podcast and was like, yeah, staple the visa on the college degree. So he had already made that shift. He'd already you know, there's a bunch of issues that he shifted on over the years, Crypto being another one of them, just off the top of my head, but that had was something that he did campaign on. Now, people may not really listened to that because most of the rhetoric was about, you know, more immigration restrictionists, but he had already made that shift and had already sort of provided that goody to Silicon Valley many months ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think what's really what's going to also be something to keep an eye out for is some of the initiatives that Donald Trump wants past, like the visas, are things that his own members of his own party don't like, and particularly not just members of his own party, but some of the loyalists don't like. And so I think it's going to be notable because remember, Donald Trump talks to everybody, He asks everybody's advice, He is lobbied by people constantly, and he sometimes changes his mind due to those pressure campaigns. And so it's going to be notable because some of the initiatives that Donald Trump wants to do are things that his own allies don't like. And so where are the pressure campaigns going to come in in the next few months and in early in his administration? And what is going, how is he going to be able to be influenced or or talked out of things or talked into things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well he doesn't have to run for a re election anymore, so he doesn't have to really care that much. And also there's not really dumb, straight track record of the base actually standing up to him. They might get mad at Elon, they might get mad at Vivik, but it's never his fault, right, There's it's always somebody who's leading him astray if they feel like he strays.
Speaker 4: From their principles.
Speaker 2: And just to go back to the first thing you said after the first question, you know the fact that he made those calls and got Mike Johnson really easily over the finish line, I think that tells you how much power he still has within the Republican Party. And you know how much they see their political fortunes individually as tied to how you know, favored they are by Donald Trump. So, Shelby, thank you so much, great to see you, great reporting as always, we'll see again soon.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me my pleasure.
Speaker 2: All right, guys, So it is not just Republican members of Congress who are bending to Donald Trump's will We've been tracking here a number of instances, in particular of Jeff Bezos and other tech oligarchs who have decided to make nice with Trump, some of whom had been quite adversarial to him in the past. And we have a new example, perhaps of some of the different behavior that is going on with some of those oligarchs. So ed Poluster Prize winning cartoonist named Anne tell Nas I might be butchering that name. Sorry, guys, just resigned from the Washington Post because this cartoon was killed by the editor. Let me just pull this up full screen. You could see this. This is meant to be Donald Trump, the long tie, the protruding belly, et cetera. This is a number of tech oligarchs, and this is the guy who's that had the La Times.
Speaker 4: Obviously this is Mickey Mouse, but.
Speaker 2: This notably right here, that would be Jeff Bezos and all of them bending the knee, offering up cash.
Speaker 4: The La Times.
Speaker 2: Dude is puckering up with the lipstick here to presumably kiss Trump's feet or his ass or something like that. And Mickey Mouse completely prostrating himself in front of Donald Trump. And so apparently this cartoon was killed and This was sort of a final straw for this cartoonist who was a longtime with the Washington Post and obviously relatively celebrated.
Speaker 4: She actually wrote a.
Speaker 2: Substack explaining why she was leaving, and I'll go ahead and pull this up on the screen and read to you a little bit of what she had to say. Here she says, why I'm quitting the Washington Post. I've worked for the Washington Post since two thousand and eight as an editorial cartoonist. I've had editorial feedback and productive conversations and some differences about cartoons I've submitted for publication. But in all that time, I've never had a cartoon killed because of who or what I chose to aim my pen at until now. The cartoon that was killed criticizes the billionaire tech and media chief executives who've been doing their best to curry favor with incoming President elect Trump. There have been multiple articles recently about these men with lucrative government contracts and an interest in eliminating regulations making their way tomorrow. Lago, the group in the cartoon included Mark Zuckerberg. Of course, I've met Sam Altman. That's open Ai, Patrick Sunshong La Times publisher, Walt Disney Company, Slash, ABC News, and Jeff Bezos, the Washington Post owner. She goes on to say it's not uncommon for editorial page editors to object to visual metaphors within a cartoon if it strikes that editor is unclear or is not correctly conveying the message intended by the cartoonist. Such editorial criticism was not the case regarding this cartoon. To be clear, there have been instances where sketches have been rejected or revisions requested, but never because of the point of view inherent in the cartoons commentary. That is a game changer and dangerous for a free press. So let me go ahead and read to you what the paper's response was. David Shipley, who is the Post opinion editor, said in a statement that was provided to CN and then I think other outlets as well. Not every editorial judgment is a reflection of a malign force. Might decision was guided by the fact we had just published a column on the same topic as the cartoon had already scheduled another column, this one a satire for publication. The only bias was against repetition. So that is their side of the story. But of course this comes after what sort of kicked off this whole conversation about obeying in advance and the efforts of tech billionaires to suck up to Donald Trump, all of whom have a lot at stake. I mean, Jeff Bezos in particular, has massive government contracts and felt that in the first Trump administration, and I think probably rightly so, that he was punished and denied one particular very lucrative government contract. Of course, this man is one of the richest men on the planet. I think he's like number two right now to Elon Musk, who he's got his position solidified within the Trump administration. But in any case, he felt that that contract was withhold held. It appears he would deny this, I'm sure, but it appeers that he very much wants to be on the good side of Donald Trump this time around, and so before the election he decided to the Washington Post, decided, which he owns, of course, to spike an editorial endorsement of Kamala Harris. This became a massive, I would say, scandal. It was actually devastating to the Washington Post in terms of their business. Number of journalists resigned. Washington Post already business was not doing well under Jeff Bezos. They had lost huge amount of subscribers because they had really bet the farm exclusively on sort of anti Donald Trump resistance type editorial direction and democracy dies in darkness all of that, and so that was the readership that they had cultivated, really was this, you know, virulently anti Trump readership. That was their business choice. And you know, first of all, when Donald Trump loses reelection twenty twenty, that's going to sort of take the win out of the sales of that type of content. And then now when you had Jeff Bezos saying, oh, we're just we don't really do politics and we're just gonna stay out of this presidential race and it has of course nothing to do with my own personal business interests, they lost a flood of subscribers huge I should look up the numbers, but it was I believe it was like over one hundred thousand. I mean, it was a massive blow to their subscriber base. And so what this cartoonist is essentially alleging here is that that direction of the post that was not an accident, it was not a one off, that that's infected all of their coverage and all of their auditorial to the extent that she experienced something she said she'd never experienced before, which is a cartoon getting killed entirely because it was unflattering, not just remember to Donald Trump, but also to Jeff Bezos, who owns the Washington Post. And this is why, you know, billionaires controlling our media is such a problem. You might recall Bernie Sanders raising this point in the twenty twenty Democratic primary, and he was roundly smeared and criticized and scoffed at for suggesting that the billionaire ownership of the Washington Post might have something to do with their incredibly deceptive at times and outright wrong at times coverage of his ideas and his campaign. He was roundly mocked for that. I hope everyone can see, whether it's Elon owning Twitter or Jeff Bezos owning the Washington Post, or these giant media conglomerates that own so many different properties and so have so many vast business interests, that this is incredibly deleterious to democracy and just to getting fair and accurate coverage. So this is one more example of that. Another one I can throw this one in fairness Tim Cook, a CEO of Apple who Trump famously called one time Tim Apple, which always still sticks in my head. He is apparently the latest tech oligarch to decide he's going to donate a million dollars to Trump's inauguration. Now, in fairness to Tim Apple, he has long cultivated both sides of the aisle. He went out of his way in the first Trump term to maintain somewhat of a friendly relationship with Donald Trump. But it's still grotesque to see the way that him and Sam Altman and a bunch of others have decided that they're going to specifically cough up millions of dollars to fund the Trump inauguration, which I mean is just basically, like you know, it's just a stop right, It's just a complete soop way of sucking up to the king that they're doing. This is very indicative of where we are. You read a little bit of this artult Cole because it did have some some interesting notes here in addition to Tim Cook says between the lines, Cook a proud alabamaa to believes the inauguration is a great American tradition. Oh yeah, I'm sure that's why you're doing it. Here's him, they say in the backstory here. The Wall Street Journal, shortly after the election wrote an article headline, how Tim Cook cracked the code on working with Trump, noted that he had spent years building personal rapport with Trump, so time to cash in, I guess on that personal rapport. They also note here that other Silicon Valley inauguration donors include Amazon, Meta, Uber, open Ai CEO Sam Altman. Wall Street's seven figure donors include Goldman, Sachs and Bank of America. Crypto Exchanges Crackin and Coinbase also getting in on the action. Toyota, Ford, and GM are all also donating at least a million dollars. So one of the things with these inauguration funds is that direct corporate donations into campaigns are that's illegal. So this is a way that corporations can curry favor and you know, get their will meet hooks into this administration and try to angle for whatever regulatory changes that they want, you know, killing different regulations that they find to be anathema to their bottom line, or sucking up for procurement purposes so that they can be first in line for whatever giant government contracts and subsidies that get doled out. So this is a way for them to for these corporate entities and the billionaire heads of these corporate entities to directly curry favor and directly jockey for, you know, the favor of the king. And you know, with Trump, who's famously like this is. By the way, this is not particularly different from other administrations. This goes on under democratic administrations. Sure, if you go back and look who was giving to the Joe Biden Inaugural Fund, you'll see a similar list of characters with similarly self interested motives. But Donald Trump is particularly sort of like break In, and his ego drives so much of his decision making. You know, if you're on his good list, if you're saying nice things about him, and he feels that you're being loyal to him, he'll shower you with favors and gifts if you get on his wrong side, as Jeff Bezos did in the first administration. And Sam Altman is another one who has given a lot of money to Democrats and by the ways, very much on the wrong side of Elon Musk, who is the you know, right hand to the king. Right now, then you can be in for a really rough road. The last thing I'll note here and then I have another piece that I want to share with you because I just mentioned Elon, who is the right hand to the king, and so it's not just about curring favor with Trump. It's also about curring favor with Elon Musk, who has shown himself already to be extraordinarily powerful, you know, beat the Laura Loomers in the sort of like og mag of base on. This h one be the visa issue, immediately runs Twitter right and can use the algorithm to pump up whatever content he wants or to you know, make life difficult for whoever he wants. Occurring favor with him is also really really important. But you know, this is going to be a significant thing to track. And the biggest business area where there is the most at stake is really in this AI development, and that's where Elon comes in. That's where Sam Altman comes in, That's where everyone, Mark Zuckerberg comes in, every one of the big tech players. They want to make sure number one, that they're in the top pole position to be the leader in terms of AA technology. The amount of money that is flowing in that direction is absolutely extraordinarily massive. They're going to be government contracts at stake as well. So some of this jockeying, A significant amount of this jockeing is specifically about AI and H one B fight even is tangential and related to that fight to have complete corporate capture and unregularly bonanza of AI development without much regard to how it's going to impact jobs, workers, safety, or anything else. So to get to the Elon part of this more perfect union, noted that since Trump won, lo and behold all of these advertisers that had fled Twitter because of you know, all of the hate content and all of the Nazis that are just like on your timeline all day long at this point on Twitter. Oh, now that they want to suck up to Elon and the Trump administration, suddenly those advertisers, blue chip advertisers are coming back.
Speaker 4: Let's take a listen to a little bit of this.
Speaker 6: Not fgo.
Speaker 7: The biggest brands in America boycotted Twitter or what Elon Musk now has us calling X after he took over the platform and left hate speech run wild. Advertisers fled like rats from a sinking ship.
Speaker 8: Disney, Apple and IBM have pulled their ads from the social media site to.
Speaker 7: Which my had a pretty clear message, go yourself, Go yourself. But suddenly they're scurrying back. Hate speech hasn't disappeared from Twitter, so what has changed? Elon Musk is tied to the hip with Donald Trump and the corporate giants who wants boycotted Twitter from Disney to Comcast wants to get on their good side.
Speaker 3: Takeovery, lad.
Speaker 7: Yes, after musk takeover of Twitter, revenue collapsed and the company's value has decreased by eighty four percent. In the second quarter of twenty twenty four, X brought in only one hundred and fourteen million dollars in revenue. That's down from six hundred and sixty one million in the same quarter of twenty twenty two. Before must took the reins, the social media company was in trouble, but Musk anticipated a change of heart at the country's largest companies.
Speaker 2: If Trump wins, we'll see you know.
Speaker 4: Probably most most of the boycott left like clockwork.
Speaker 7: As the election neared and predictions of a Trump win grew, companies started turning their spendings Figot back on by going back to X. Big advertisers are lending the company a much needed lifeline.
Speaker 9: But that's not all.
Speaker 7: In an interview with The Financial Times, Lou Pascalis, a marketing expert, called advertiser's.
Speaker 10: Return to X a form of political leverage.
Speaker 7: It's a calculated move to appease a guy who said, there's a large graveyard filled with my enemies, and who's so close to Trump. He started calling himself the first Buddy, following Trump around and grooving to the YMCA with the soon to be president whenever he gets the chance.
Speaker 2: So you get the picture there. I mean, this is the tech equivalent of you. Remember, in the first Trump administration, the easiest way to curry favor with Trump was anytime a foreign dignitary or anyone came into town, had to stay at the Trump Hotel right there in DC. Now the Trump Hotel is not the Trump Hotel anymore. However, another way you can directly curry favor with Donald Trump is, Oh, he has his own crypto coin, so you could you could purchase that, or if you want to get in good with a quote unquote first Buddy and not run a foul of Elon Musk, who, as I said before, has already proven himself to be extremely powerful within this administration, while your company probably is going to want to buy some advertisements on X not because you think it's you know, directly beneficial to your brand, but because you want to make sure you're in a position to benefit from all of those government goodies. So that is the game that's being played right now. It is extraordinarily high stakes. And you know, to state the obvious, it's example number three thousand of how much the government is set up to serve these oligarchs and these massive corporate interests over you, Like you don't get an audience with the King or the first Budy. You don't get to, you know, throw millions of dollars in advertising onto their favored platform in order to get your little pet projects approved and get in good with the people who actually count. And so yeah, I know this can become sort of like par for the course in America where money is king. But this is how you end up with a situation where the people's voices really just don't count, where when money is speech, you know, the people who have the most money, they're gonna have the most speech, they're gonna have the most influence, they're going to have the most say, and you know, take a look at the way our government is run and who's run for, and take a look at how these people are behaving as the Trump administration comes into office, and you know, there's your answer of what this government is ultimately all about. The last thing I'll say on this one before moving on to the next topic we have here, which is a lot of extraordinary details that would do my best to unpack about this whole cyber truck dude killing himself and blowing up the truck, et cetera. The last thing I'll say about this is I think it was Michael Tracy who was appointing the signings without a lot of good points. I feel like I signed him a lot. But you know, Trump in twenty sixteen, part of his political power was he positioned himself as being sort of uncorruptible. He's like, I'm a rich guy. I don't need these people's money. I understand, in fact, how this game was played because I played it. I know this game better than anyone else, and I'm going to drain the swamp. Okay, I'm not saying money in politics and the corrupting influence is new under Donald Trump.
Speaker 4: That would be a lie. Both parties all in on big money.
Speaker 2: But we are seeing something that is even more brazen under Donald Trump and has been taken to even more extraordinary lengths Musk in particular giving a quarter of a billion dollars and possibly being directly responsible for Trump getting back in the White House and then being handled handed this extraordinarily vast amount of power. You know, he already got what he wanted out of that whole you know, spending deal that had been negotiate, and then he blew it up. One piece that I'm sure was really important to him was it had some limits on high tech investment in China that won against his interests because he wants to do some tesla Ai thing in China, gets that stripped down, gets his way before the Trump administration is even in office. H one b's you know how we feel about the program Personally, I think guestworker programs are inherently exploitative. I agree with Bernie Sanders, who wants to, you know, really take an aggressive approach of reform to the Hwin and B program. That is my position as well. But however we feel about the program, Trump completely flipped on a dime in order to please Elon David Sachs Mark Andresen his new tech oligarch buddies. That happened during the campaign, but obviously the fight broke out into public just recently and Elon won hands down, unequivocally. He didn't get nothing for that quarter of a billion dollars. He got so much. I mean, the return on it is going to be extraordinary. It already has been. So you know, there's a new level of sort of oligarch brazenness that I don't think we should accept. And you know how we feel about Trump, what side of the political aisle you are on, et cetera. This is about the principle of this is not This is supposed to be a democracy, like people's voices are supposed to matter in this whole situation, and instead you've got oligarchs just out and out brazenly running the show. So that's where we.
Speaker 4: Are, all right.
Speaker 2: So guys, you will recall on New Year's Day we had two separate violent incidents. One the truck attacker in New Orleans, just horrific carnage there, and the second was this guy who pulls up in a cyber truck in front of the Trump Hotel in Las Vegas and then apparently shoots himself in the head according to law enforcement, and blows up the truck with himself inside. Thankfully, the only minor injury injuries as far as I know, as a result of that attack. Afterwards, there were images of what was in the truck truck bed. It was all these like gas canisters and a bunch of large fireworks borders that apparently is what he used to detonate himself the truck, et CETERA weird thing to do, especially as we learn more details. You know, the initial image of the sky in a cyber truck outside of a Trump hotel, You're like, oh, this must be somebody who hates Donald Trump. No, turns out according to his political background. First of all, he's a Green Beret and was haad the you know, sort of like macho, more right leaning pro Trump political ideology that you might expect from someone who's driving a cyber truck and is a Green Beret. So that's weird. So what was this all about? So there have been some interesting I'm just going to go through what we've learned as best we can, and you guys can draw your own conclusions or still be as confused as I am at this moment. But we've had two major developments. One is law enforcement uncovered what they said were some notes on his phone. They expressed, uh, sort of standard right wing political ideology. I'm going to read those to you in a moment, saying that DC needs to be purged of Democrats and you know, the people need to take charge and effectively I'm doing this to call attention to what's going on in our country.
Speaker 4: Is sort of like general political rhetoric.
Speaker 2: Like I said, I'll show you those that law enforcement sis was on his phone. But then there was also this email that he allegedly sent to a guy named Sam Shoemate, who is Intel officer and I wasn't familiar with him, but apparently, you know, he's somewhat well known. Shoemate goes to Sean Ryan, who is a large former CIA large podcaster who you know, and they had this conversation about this alleged email, which purports to indicate that Liveelsberger blew himself up in truck to try to call attention and blow the whistle on the fact that these drones that have been cited are Chinese made and that they are so dangerous to our national security that it's effectively I think he calls it, quote unquote game over. I'm gonna read the whole email alleged email to you so you know exactly what he said, and that they use like gravity displacement to move in the way that they do. This is something that you know, the sort of like UFO community that they've theorized. This is total sci fi stuff that is being alleged here. Now there are people who are really calling into question whether this is a real thing. So I want you to have a lot of skepticism as we go into this, but I just wanted to share what is out there so that you can make your own determinations about whether or not you think this is legit. Let me go ahead and pull this up and we'll listen to the beginning of this end the setup. Samshoe mate here in the plaid shirt talking to Sean Ryan.
Speaker 11: I get a well, it started off as comments. So when you have a big Instagram account, you're going to miss a lot of messages because people message you know'll go to hidden messages and everything else. You miss a lot of stuff. Well, I kept seeing this comment on recent posts that I put in there and it was from this this burner account and said, hey, check your DMS. Check your DMS, check your DM. So I go in there and try to find it. There's no message from this guy hadn't come through or whatever. And then he messages again once that message was opened up, and I said, hey, your previous messages haven't come through. What what do you want to tell me? And he said, what I'm going to send you Now these are literally his words. What I'm going to send you is going to change the course of humanity. That was his phrase, change the course of humanity. Okay, a little bit dramatic. I get these messages all the time. People have this big story they want to tell, they want to expose their command, whatever it's. I take everything with a grain of salt until I have evidence improved. So this guy is insistent. He tells me. He tells me that he is a eighteen zulu who I've spoken to before, and he really needs to get this stuff to me. And then he talks about you. He says, I need you to get me in contact with Sean Ryan. I'm like, dude, I don't know Sean Ryan. I'm not that big. But he's insistent that I get him diverted to media sources, says, go to Fox News whatever else. I said, all right, tell me what you got. So I give him my proton email account, give him my signal signal number, and he reaches out immediately, and I'm going to read this initial message for you, because this doesn't have names or anything else on it, but this was his message on Sunday. He reached out and said, like I said, Sunday, this last Sunday, he said, sending with a VPN active on Wi Fi only, do not message me. I will send out updates via both signal and email, but trus me, you're going to want to be involved. Well, first of all, no, I don't. I didn't want to be involved anyways. And then so I didn't. I didn't message. I responded back to his original Instagram Instagram message and I said, hey, I got your message on proton mail and he said, cool, delete this, So I deleted it. That's how I ended up getting this message on Tuesday. So the message that this this right here, this manifesto, if you want to call it, that came in on Tuesday. And when I started reading this, my initial take was okay, this is off the deep end. It's bonkers. I can't validate or verify any of the stuff in this manifesto. And I told him that in a subsequent email, and I'll read that to you later. My response to him, and once again, my response to him elicited, hey, get me in contact with Sean Ryan Fox News, and even said Pete Hegseth, give me in contact with heg Seth. And I'm like, dude, I don't have the incoming Secretary of Defense's phone number.
Speaker 9: Sorry, bro.
Speaker 2: So that was kind of the setup. And then he goes on to read the actual email. So I'll go ahead and pull this up. And it's a little bit lengthy, so I don't know if I want to read all of it, but I will read a portion of it to you. But effectively, like I said, he's raising allegations that there we and the Chinese have this gravity propulsion technology, that China has submarines parked off our coasts and is sending drones up, and that this is like, you know, a massive national security risk quote unquote game over in terms of national security. And he also raises allegations about war crimes that he was familiar with in Afghanistan. One of the things that's kind of weird about the war crimes allegations that actually was like, there were war crimes alleged at that time in Afghanistan, but it was publicly reported, so it wasn't like this was you know, super super like secret knowledge. In any case, let me just read you a little bit of this, So he allegedly writes, in case I do not make it to my decision point or onto the Mexico border, I am sending this now. Please do not release this until January first, and keep my identity private until then, and remem of the story is here that he allegedly sent this the day before his he exploded himself in the cyber truck outside of the Trump Hotel on January first. First off, I am not under duress or hostile influencer control. My first car was a two thousand and six black Ford Mustang V six For verification, so he's saying, like, this is how improving that I am? Who I say I am, that was my first car.
Speaker 4: You can go and check.
Speaker 2: Okay, what we've been seeing with drones is the operational use of gravitic propulsion systems powered aircraft by most recently China in the East Coast, but throughout history the US only we in China have this capability are op send location for the activity is in the box below. By the way, people looked up where those coordinates were and it was a fifty one. He goes on to say, China's been launching them from the Atlantic from submarines for years, but this activity recently is picked up as of now is just a show of force. They're using it similar to how they used the balloon for sig INT and ISR, which are also part of the integrated commsystem. There are dozens of those balloons in the air at any given time. This the so what is because of the speed and stealth of these unmanned aircraft, they are the most dangerous threat to national security that's ever existed. They basically have an unlimited payload capacity and can park it over the White House if they wanted. Its checkmate, checkmate, not gameover. Sorry I missed quoted that earlier. Us G needs to give the history of this, how we are employing it, weaponizing, how China is employing them, and what the way forward is. China's poised to attack anywhere in the East Coast. I've been followed for over a week now from likely Homeland or FBI, and they are looking to move on me and are unlikely going to let me cross into Mexico but won't because they know I am armed and I have a massive I think they pronounce this a vbay. It's like a vehicle based ied. That would be the cyber truck that he blew up. I've been trying to maintain a very visible profile and have kept my phone and they are definitely digitally tracking me. Then he goes on to talk about this these air strikes in Nimero's province, Afghanistan twenty nineteen. Then he concludes, you need to elevate this to the media so we avoid a world war because this is a mutually assured destruction situation. So that is the alleged email. Okay, a lot of people have raised a lot of questions about this. This is a random dude. I don't know who this person is on Twitter, but he seemed to raise some pretty good questions and that you know that we're getting a lot of traction and I just want to provide you with all the information. So here is what random guy on Twitter says about this email. He says that it doesn't fit into any plausible explanation of the Las Vegas bombing, and he goes into a long thread. One of the things that he looks into is, you know, the the proof of the beginning where the guy's like, Okay, I had this particular kind of Mustang that was my first car. There's no evidence that that is actually the case, that that actually was Matthew Livelsberger's first car.
Speaker 4: So that's a question mark.
Speaker 2: Also, the email itself was in if you look closely, it wasn't in the like original email form. It was in a text editor. You could tell because you could see the cursor. You could see you know how when you're typing in a text editor, there's like words that are misspelled that are underlined. So like the things that he abbreviated and used this like technical jargon, those things have those underlines from the text editor.
Speaker 4: Now my understanding.
Speaker 2: Sam Schuemate says, oh, well, I put in the text editor so that I could redact names that needed to be redacted. But people have asked him for okay, well, you know this is pretty extraordinary. So can you show us, like opening the email, can you give us some proof that you didn't just like spin this up in a text editor, And as far as I know, that proof hasn't been straight, hasn't been forthcoming.
Speaker 4: So there's that.
Speaker 2: This random dude on Twitter also says that by all accounts, Matthew Livelsburg was not in an unacknowledged special access program related to the drones that he speaks of in line and according to members of the team. He says that really reads like something out of Anti China MSM talking points, which is true as well. So there's some questions about this email where it is, what it came from. I mean, there's a number of possibilities here, right, the email is real, it, you know, and he lost his mind and you know, was having like a psychotic break and this email is the product of that. It's possible the emails fake. It's possible the email is real, and he really does have some knowledge of these things and was trying to blow the whistle. So I don't know, I don't know. That's what we got.
Speaker 4: On that front.
Speaker 2: I mentioned before, there were other notes that law enforcement reportedly recovered from his phone that had more of just like a generic right wing extremist tone to them, and you know then the motive for him blowing himself up in this bizarre fashion is that he wants to call attention to what's going on in DC and how the DC needs to be purged of Democrats. Let me read you those so you can get a flavor for those as well. He says, two different notes, Fellow service members, veterans, and all Americans time to wake up being led by weak and feckless leadership who only serve to enrich themselves. Military invets move on DC starting now. Malicious facilitate and augment this activity. Occupy every major road along FED buildings and the campus of FED Buildings by the hundreds of thousands. Lock the highways around down with semis right with everybody gets in hold until the purge is complete. Try peaceful means first, but be prepared to fight to get the Dems out of the federal government and military by any means necessary. They all must go in. A hard reset must occur for our country to avoid collapse. Here's another like lengthier one, but the vibe is basically the same, and he says, consider this last sunset of twenty four and my actions the end of our sickness and a new chapter of health for our people. Rally around the Trump must Kennedy and ride this wave to the highest hegemony for all Americans. We are second to no One. So, you know, these two pieces, they don't really particularly fit together because they, you know, offer two completely different motives. One is just like, we have to take the country back and these Democrats are evil and we need to back Trump and so let's surround DC. And I'm doing this to draw attention to this cause of surrounding DC and purging the Democrats. Other, obviously, is blowing the whistle about these purported drones in this Chinese technology. So that's what we know there. The other weird thing that came out is that he was part of a reality TV show, which is just kind of strange. So here's the clip that emerged with regards to that.
Speaker 10: It's a reality show that pits teams of elite soldiers from around the world against each other.
Speaker 7: Matt and Tim from the US Army's Special Forces, better known as the Green Brats.
Speaker 10: Matthew Libelsberger and his partner Tim Kelly, both Green Berets, appeared on The Ultimate Soldier Challenge twelve years ago. On the History Channel, not only one. It wasn't even close.
Speaker 6: You know, television, they always try to make it a little bit more competitive, but we swept the whole entire show.
Speaker 10: When he appeared on the show, Libbelsburger used a shortened version of his name, Matt Berg, So it took Tim Kelly a while to put two and two together.
Speaker 6: And then I saw Matt Berg with a older photo of him, and I was.
Speaker 10: Like, oh, no, dude, I know that guy.
Speaker 6: And then it just like tore my heart out because he was a really great Green Beret.
Speaker 10: And what was he like.
Speaker 6: He was charming, he was talented, he was personable, he was kind, he was all the things that you would expect from a Green Beret.
Speaker 10: At one point during the show, Libbelsburger lost his cool in the ninety plus degree heat.
Speaker 11: I hate his ownest man, How did you take the doll?
Speaker 12: Right now?
Speaker 10: Tim Kelly says he hadn't heard from Libbelsburger for a few years.
Speaker 6: It just categorically does not make sense from everything that I have heard. He was universally valued by his team, by his peers.
Speaker 10: I don't understand.
Speaker 6: It doesn't make sense, and it is just horrifically heartbreaking.
Speaker 4: So just other layers of weirdness to this one.
Speaker 2: He was in a reality show, so there you go whatever, for whatever that's worth. We're also learning more about his past and personal history. Obviously, he was a Green Beret, had served overseas, had struggled with some PTSD and depression. He also, I think had just gone through a breakup and was going through a divorce, so there were some some personal issues at play there as well. Reportedly his wife leaving him because she alleged that he had had an affair and that had just occurred, so that could certainly have played into his mental state. Another couple of weird things worth mentioning here. So both of them, both Matthew Livelsburger and the guy who did the truck attack in New Orleans, both of them were had served at what formerly was known as Fort Bragg now it's known as Fort Liberty. There have been other extremists who have come out of that particular military base. Of course, it's a large military base. Many thousands of people go through there, So there is that. And then the last piece that I will share with you about him is apparently when he had sought mental health care. He was deemed not a risk diagnosed with depression, so again this all speaks to his mental state. He had visited the military behavioral health program multiple times in recent most months, was diagnosed with depression, but deemed not to be a risk to harm himself or others. So that is everything we know at this point. It's a weird story. I mean, very possible. This dude just you know, going through a lot after his military serve. Well, I mean he still was serving. He still was an active Green Beret, So went through a lot with that, going through some personal things, lost it and decided to take his own life in this incredibly spectacular and warrifying fashion. But many, many questions still remain here. So guys, good news. Ryan Grimm was able to join me and actually made it to the studio, so also got to check in and make sure things are looking good there Ryan, How is it out there?
Speaker 13: Everything is here, Nothing was stolen over the break, so I haven't done a full inventory, but I.
Speaker 4: Think we're pretty good, all right, Good to know.
Speaker 13: The books are all here, the baseball's yeah, we're said, excellent, excellent.
Speaker 2: So I wanted to wanted Ryan to join us for this story, which is really interesting. So Elon Musk not content with effectively buying the US government and getting to operate it towards his ends, not content with jumping in also to the German political system and backing the AfD and writing it and off ed and trying to really you know, put his imprint on that government. Has also now jumped massively into UK politics. And all of this also comes at an interesting time because he had gotten very much crosswise with the sort of MAGA faithful on this.
Speaker 4: H one B issue.
Speaker 2: So I think that's highly relevant to his choice of you know, jumping headfirst into UK politics. So let me just read a little bit of this Axios report and then get some of Ryan's reaction here, so says Musk rocks UK politics with the tax on the prime minister and support for the far right. So you guys might recall relatively recently, actually Kure Starmer, whos had a Labor party, he is the new prime Minister the UK disgusted with the Tories, really kicked them out. Was not so much a sort of endorsement of Cure Starmer or Labor, but a rejection of their opponents. In any case, Kure Starmer is the current Prime Minister. Elon Musk hijacked British politics this week with the stream of at least sixty posts on Twitter since Tuesday, attacking Prime Minister Cure Starmer, defending an anti Islam campaigner that would be Tommy Robinson, and endorsing the far right Reform Party. Why it matters, they say. The right hand man to America's next president has gone after the leaders of several of its closest allies in recent months, but his fight with the British government is turning into the nastiest yet. While Musk's ex microphone was enough to send Westminster into a frenzy, there's been intense speculation he'll also open his checkbook for Reform and It's Trump aligned leader Nigel Faraj must told Axios' Micalini had yet to donate, wasn't sure if it would be legal. Musk labeled here, Starmer here. Stormtrooper shared meme claiming the PM was more concerned about policing social media than about rape. That was part of a barrage of tweets attacking British political and legal establishment for failing to adequately investigate alleged child sex abuse rings, one most famously in the town of Roschjale, in which dozens of young girls were raped between two thousand and four to twenty thirteen. So, just to sort of TLDR this, there's a few things going on here. First of all, Musk posing labor, you know, for his own ideological interests.
Speaker 4: That's one thing.
Speaker 2: The other thing is what they're really using as a cudgel against Starmer is this decades old, truly horrifying, massive scandal where there were huge numbers of what they called grooming gangs raping young girls. And for a combination of a lot of social factors, but one of them being most of the men who were involved in these grooming gangs who were raping these young girls, most of them were of Pakistani origin, and there was the sense of like, oh, we have to be culturally sensitive, which of course the right seas on. And there was also a sense from police of like, oh, well, these girls, they're really sort of asking for it, you know. They didn't see them so much as victims, which was another piece of this. In any case, this is a decade's old story. Keir Starmer was tangentially involved in this at the time, and so that's the big thing that they're using right now as the cudgel against him. So, Ryan, your thoughts on kind of this overall story and what musk is up to you here?
Speaker 13: So you're right, there are a couple of things going on here. One is that this was a horrific scandal. It's also one that was investigated, you know, pretty seriously over the last couple of decades. In twenty fourteen, ALEXISJ produced a report that shocked the world. It made, you know, mainstream news across the globe, including I think there were like half a dozen or a dozen stories in the New York Times about this scandal that led to additional calls for inquiries, which Alexis J also led and others others led. There was a national report that she put out in twenty twenty two that laid out a bunch of recommendations in order to make it so you would have practices in place that would protect victims, that wouldn't allow them to be overlooked, that wouldn't allow these cultural concerns to get in the way of of breaking up these these gangs. She has said what she is frustrated about is that the Conservative government that was in place at the time, you know, has not implemented those fast enough. But the other thing that's going on that I think on a kind of meta level is even more interesting, is that, you know, throughout the first Trump administration you had resistance liberals. Every time something kind of new came up, they thought it was a distraction from the thing that they ought to be paying attention to. You remember all that discourse during the Trump the first Trump turned the distraction and distraction stay focused. The elements of MAGA do the exact same thing if you if you remember, over the last four years, you would even have major storms described as syops. This is a syop. They don't want you focusing on, you know, the real thing, you know, whatever it's counter Bud's laptop or whatever. They want you focusing on this, on this hurricane, or on this other event. Like they actual news events that were occurring were being described as psyops to distract the public. This one literally is that it is a concerted effort to manufacture a news event where there really isn't one, you know, you know, should the recommendations of the j Report from twenty twenty two be implemented by the Labor government now that the Conservative government didn't implement them. Yes, sure they should. Yeah, but the idea that all of a sudden there should be this global attention focused on this is very suspicious. Like why all of a sudden do they want to talk about this? And your point, I think is the obvious one. There was this gigantic H one B civil war going on which was bloodying up the Maga coalition and not going particularly well from musk even though he was you know, he had the power to win it right, it was kind of ripping the coalition apart. Of course, you get this kind of Adrian Dittman nonsense for like a day or so, and then and then it goes over to here. People in South Asia who are watching this are like, this sounds like something that India got, you know, asked Elon to kind of gin up because it's all about Pakistanis in the UK. That might maybe he got the idea from them, who knows, but somehow somebody had the idea of like, you know, what we need to really talk about is these these gang raping Pakistanis in the UK. To get every get the band back together, get everybody agreeing. After we had this difficult, you know, debate over over h one b and it to me, it it's it's an incredible example of and here we are talking.
Speaker 1: About it right on our show.
Speaker 4: Because he's on Twitter.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, I mean because exactly when the richest man in the world gets involved. You know, the UK right now is debating they have better limits on money and politics than we do. But they're debating putting additional caps on contributions to deal specifically with Elon Musk and to avoid you know, having the same fate befall them as to learn some of the lessons of what we're seeing here. You know, we must put in a quarter of a billion dollars in Trump's campaign and now has a tremendous power over our federal government. And so they're seeing that and saying maybe we need to learn something from that. And you know, I think your point is a really apt one because also the choice of vision. Again, I don't want to diminish that this is horrifying story. I remember reading about it back in twenty fourteen. The number of girls affected, the fact that there were so few prosecutions. In fact, in a few instances it was these girls, young girls. I'm talking as young as eleven, who were a few of them prosecuted themselves, as like sex workers are for dislorderly contact, absolutely abhorrent and insane.
Speaker 4: But it also has a lot.
Speaker 2: Of echoes with the way that immigration restrictionists in the US will use legitimate, accurate, undocumented immigrant crimes to paint a portrait of an entire migrant community as criminal, even as we know the overall statistics are that both documented and undocumented immigrants are more law abiding than US citizens. And there's actually similar dynamic here in the UK. You and I had both looked up the statistics. You actually have white Britons who are more overrepresented in terms of prosecutions for child sex abuse than Asians or South Asians. So it can it's also an attempt to paint a deceptive story that this is the source of all child sex abuse, to paint an entire community in this way, and for him to get back in good of like see, I do actually hate immigrants, and thistle h one b thing like, let's just put that to the side. I also have antipathy towards brown migrants that come into countries. The interesting thing here is he's also taken the side of this dude that I don't even know if he would object to being called an islamophobe.
Speaker 4: Tommy Robinson, who's like this.
Speaker 2: You know, originally like soccer rul again criminally, he has been in prison for any number of things. Currently he's in prison because he lied about this fifteen year old Syrian migrant who a video had gone viral of this kid getting beaten up and like sort of fake waterboarded, you know, this like simulation of torture at his school, and Robinson jumps in to say, oh, well, this kid isn't so innocent, and to try to link him to these sort of grooming and sexual assault allegations totally unfounded, completely libelists found to be so required by the courts to stop doing it. And keeping in mind the UK does not have free speech protections in the same day way that we would, but I think even here this would have been potentially a legal issue. He continues, puts on a film reiterating the same libelist claims, and the court issues an injunction. He actually, you know, admits to being in contempt of court. That's what he gets thrown in prison for. So Musk has also taken up the cause of this guy Tommy Robinson. Hears you know one of the things that he posted. Why is Tommy Robinson in solitary confinement prison, which he is, by the way, he's in. He's isolated for reportedly his own safety, for telling the truth. He should be freed and those who covered up this travesty should take his place in that cell. I mean, every part of that is just basically like false and fictional. But part of what's interesting here is Nigel Frage, the head of the right wing Reform Party, and Musk is now backing the Reform Party. Frage has long distanced himself and condemned Tommy Robinson like this is too far even for him, and so that's now created this other rift between Musk and Pharrage, and Musk is now coming out and saying, I don't know Nigel.
Speaker 4: Farrage effectively because.
Speaker 2: He's not on board with Tommy Robinson, this like thug anti Muslim hooligan. I don't know that he's the right leader for reform. So he's jumped in with that one as well.
Speaker 13: Right, And I almost feel bad for the people who are kind of earnestly, you know, following Musk's version of this, because if that's all you're following, and he keeps repeating to his audience, do not read the mainstream press, do not read any news other than what you get on X. The only way to stay informed is to, you know, listen to what I say and listen to what I elevate here on X. And if that's what you listen to, then you actually do think that this guy, Tommy Robinson, you know, stood up for these rape victims and exposed this this scandal of these grooming gangs, and the entire establishment, which is you know, some linkage between Epstein and QAnon was supportive of these underground uh, you know, gangs, and so therefore they locked the whistleblower, truth teller, Tommy Tommy Robinson up. And if that's what you think, and that's what you've been told, then of course you know free It's what a travesty, what an outrage if you actually look at what happened, like you said, oh, he made a very specific allegation against a very specific person.
Speaker 4: The child, by the way, the child.
Speaker 13: The court found that to be false ordered him to stop saying that false thing, at which point he could have just moved on and said other false things about other people. But he insisted on continuing to defame and libel this child and destroying this kid's life and committing contempt at court, and so they then he winds up. Now, then you could debate how a society ought to handle something like that.
Speaker 2: Is an eighteen month persons on ince too long? Okay, we could have that discussion, right.
Speaker 13: But the and in the US would probably mostly just be monetary penalties, although at some point if there's continuous contempt of court and its rulings, like even in civil cases you do then as you know, we're going to talk to Stephen Donziger, you know, who spent some who spent significant amount of time because of these contempt you know, specifically because of contempt of court.
Speaker 4: So but.
Speaker 13: It's just, you know, so I'm increasingly curious to see where this goes because if if Musk is really going to treat Twitter X, I'm now willing to call it X because it is really radically different than it used to be as a weapon in his in his culture war, which is a political war, which is a war for you know, his his own commercial interests. If he's going to continue using it as a weapon for regime change around around the world. How are other governments going to respond because he's you know, there are rules about you know what, foreign interference in domestic politics. You know, Georgia for instance, just banned you know, foreign interference and it's in it's politics. In the US, you know, freaked out because it said all all of our n g o s are going to be illegal. Now you know, we have our you know, foreig registration rules, other countries have that you're you're hearing now in Europe, calls that they just need to shut Twitter down, which would you know, be unfortunate because that would be an attack you know what it well, you know what it was was a place where people could you know, express themselves and it's still a way to reach an international audience. But if he is just going to use it as this weapon, I think governments are aren't really going to tolerate that, but maybe they don't have enough power to stop it.
Speaker 2: Well, I think we do have one example, which is in Brazil, there was a sort of you know, game of chicken or a clashing of titans between the Brazilian government, Brazilian court system, and Musk and Twitter and ultimately, you know, the Brazilian court system sort of held strong and Musc ultimately back down and.
Speaker 4: Did what they wanted him to do.
Speaker 2: So you do without getting into all the specifics, because I don't even remember all the specifics of what that particular example was about, but you do have this one example of a country saying like, no, we have our laws, you have to buy by them or you don't get to play in the sandbox. And Brazil has a very large I mean it's a very large country and has a large number of users on that platform.
Speaker 4: So that was specific.
Speaker 2: The last piece that I think is interesting here too is Owen Jones Head shared this and I actually wasn't really aware of this, but Elon Musk, at least according to the polling, is really unpopular in with the British public. I mean we're talking about sixty four percent unfavorable, only eighteen percent favorable. So you know, here in the US, we just have this instinct to like venerate billionaires and know he you know, made these great companies and whatever. We just like have this knee jerk reaction that people have to kind of be pulled back from. But in you know, with the British public. They have a lot of antipathy towards him already, which is part of why I think Nigel Frog felt comfortable, even though he would love to get Elon Musk's money and Elon musk support, et cetera, why he felt comfortable immediately coming out and saying no, I don't support Tommy Robinson. I've long distanced myself from him, and I'm not going to change that. That principle on behalf of you know, Elon Musk or anyone else.
Speaker 13: One thing I would add also, for whatever it's worth, solitary confinement is torture and I don't I don't think. I don't think anybody who's in prison, concluding Tommy Robinson should should be subjected to to solitary confine it. But you're right, it'll be interesting to see, you know, how much, how much if he has as much pull here as he's as he does elsewhere. You know, Europe is in general a pretty weak place right now. Yeah, they rely on him for Starlink for the Ukrainians like so that like he's got that leverage over them start there. You know, Starlink more broadly gives him leverage his relationship with Trump gives him leverage, so whether they'll actually pull the trigger. But you have seen a number of politicians throughout Europe saying we need to nip this in the butt and we need to just ban Twitter. But then you know, you can have VPNs and get around it.
Speaker 4: Sure, but it does that does just not use it.
Speaker 13: As a weapon for his own political ends. Well, the other thing it as a free speech.
Speaker 2: The other thing you took note of immediately is he tweeted out this thing of like, we're going to change the algorithm to focus on copy stuff, and it's like.
Speaker 13: Oh, like grooming gangs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, like grooming gangs. But also, oh, now that your guys into the in the White House, suddenly you're going to focus on Oh, everything's actually great and the US is.
Speaker 4: A wonderful place. Isn't that convenient? That timing?
Speaker 13: It's it's it's so dystopian. Yes, uh, now, now we're coming into office. Enough of all this complaining. Let's let's think. Let's let's think and.
Speaker 4: Share positive guys.
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, except for my campaigns that I'm going to launch around you know, whatever I decide is interesting.
Speaker 4: In the moment, correct, Yeah, And you know. This is why listen.
Speaker 2: He's such an important figure to follow, whether you want to or not, because of the amount of power that he wields through combination of his wealth, his proximity to power, his official position in the Trump administration, and then his willingness to use xs this weapon. So we'll continue to follow where this goes next because it could be very interesting. All right, guys, So I am thrilled to be joined this morning by Marian Williamson, who is not only a former presidential candidate who was right about many things and maybe the party would be in the country would be in a much better shape if they had listened to her, but also is a best selling author and just all around a fantastic person and thinker who I always enjoy picking their brain.
Speaker 4: Great to see Marian, Oh.
Speaker 5: It's always good to see you. Thank you, Crystal.
Speaker 4: All right, so you are doing something.
Speaker 2: It's bold. Let's just say it's bold. You've decided to run for DNC chair. And I'll just put this New York Times reporting on the DNC chair race up, which of course scarcely mentions you in it and describes you as a quote perennial presidential candidate which is very dismissive. They outline a race between Ken Martin and Ben Wickler, who.
Speaker 4: Are two state party chairs.
Speaker 2: Just give us a little bit of a sense, because this is as in the weeds as it gets, these very insular races for party chair. Give us a sense of the contours of that race and why you specifically decided to jump into it.
Speaker 5: Well, of course, after my own experience, I was curious how the DNC actually runs. You can't get more into the weeds of the effects of the behavior of the DNC than running for president. I saw the corruption. I saw the way a apparently small group of people felt they had the right to decide, for instance, to cancel a primary, which is so ludicrous and has delivered us to where we are now and what we're about to experience for the next four years. So of course I was curious, and I was curious if the DNC would be looking in the mirror. I was curious about where they would go from here. I was just observing now. Ken Martin, in my team's my campaigns interactions, was always a gentleman. He was ethical, he was honorable, have only the greatest things to say. But I also saw other behavior Sacha as we're going to win by kicking people off the ballots, etc. The more I absorb observed in terms of the conversation going on in the race, just through a cursory look at the media, etc. I realized nothing is Nobody is suggesting a fundamental change here. Nobody is addressing the deeper, the deeper levels of malfunction. That's the thing when it comes to the DNC, we're not talking about dysfunctional. When you're losing Pennsylvania, you're losing Michigan, you're losing Wisconsin, you're losing Ohio, all these red states. This is beyond dysfunction. This is into malfunction. That's when I decided to jump in.
Speaker 4: Go ahead and Mary and finish your thought.
Speaker 5: That was just the beginning. What's really been amazing is what I have discovered since. Because in order to get up to those forty signatures, in order to be a qualified candidate, you have to get on the phone and you're calling, you're calling members of the DNC. There's one group, the one that has invisibilized and mocked and character assassinated me from the beginning, who clearly took this idea, do not answer her calls, do not return her texts, etc. But the people I would get on the phone, what I learned is how this organization operates. The vast majority of the members of the DNC are deeply disempowered. The DNC itself runs, it's governance model is everything we say we don't want this country to be. It's a small group of elite, very opaque. By the way, you might have heard Zogby talk about the fact he's on the Budget Committee and he doesn't know the numbers. A small group of elites who take the same view within the organization that I felt as a candidate. Look, we got this. We're the grown ups here. We know how this is done. We don't need your input. Really, let me repeat. You lost Michigan, you lost Pennsylvania, you lost Wisconsin. You're losing the country and Donald Trump is about to be inaugurated on January twentieth. Meanwhile, there are incredible people who are members of the DNC. There is so much talent there, there's so much passion for everything you and I believe in, so much of a real devotion to progressive governance. So the first thing you have to do is return the DNC itself, if it ever was, I think I don't know, but we put it now into alignment with the principles that we say right now basically, what this is about as a consultancy class, whether it is SDK, Nickerbocker or Precision Strategies or whatever, this is about. They're having money. This is about they are multimillion dollar contracts, which are the governing principle. Their profits are the governing principle of the DNC. It is a failed business model, It is a failed messaging model. It is a failed organizing model. And you need ahead of the DNC who's going to go in there know what's really happening, which I believe the majority of DNC members do know. But a leader of the chairman of the DNC who goes in and sets those things straight to the greatest possible.
Speaker 4: Extent, it's truly a racket.
Speaker 5: And yeah it is.
Speaker 2: I know that you've actually obtained a significant milestone. You were able to get the what forty signatures required to be a quote unquote official candidate, which means what you participate, get to participate in all the forums, get to officially make your case.
Speaker 4: Is that what that effectively means.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we had forty two by the time we said we got it. We got so yes. Later this afternoon, I'll be on the labor form. Tomorrow, I'll be on the forum having to do with the state parties. It's very exciting. Uh, there's one in Detroit, there are two online, is another one in Washington, d C. So I'm the candidate for those who know that incremental change is not going to do it. More bells and whistles is not going to do it. You've got to recognize the corruption that's in the bones of this thing. Yeah, and that's that's the that's the truth we're telling here.
Speaker 2: You know, my fear is but right after election day, you know, there seemed to be some genuine shock, possible soul searching going on even among Democratic elites, and that seems to have really faded. You have people like Jim cleiber and saying like everyone just needs to chill. It's fine, Kim Jefferies put back in with no dissent, as you know, leader in the House. Even the contours of this DNC chair race, I mean, I know, you know the odds you're up against. Right, You've got the New or Times effectively through their credit writing, like not a lot of soul searching that we're seeing from Democratic elites, at least visa this DNC party chair race. And you have comments being made like these from Chuck Schumer that effectively indicate like, well, Democrats don't have a reality problem, they're just we need to tweak the messaging a little bit because people aren't really understanding just how absolutely incredible we are. Let's just go to take a listen to a little bit from Senator Chuck Schumer, and then I just love to hear from you where you think Democrats went astray and what you're hearing in terms of the level of soul searching or lack thereof.
Speaker 9: All too often, Kristen, we talked about the mechanics of the legislation and the details of the legislation, and we really didn't show the kind of empathy and concern to average or show enough of it to average working families who didn't realize how much we had done and how much we care for them. So what we're going to do is spend a lot of time talking to working families showing them how much we care about them.
Speaker 2: So you know, again this frames this as purely a messaging issue. And look, I do think Democrats have a messaging issue too. They had a president of the United States. They have a president of the United States who is really unable to articulate much of anything about much of anything. But to purely look at this as we just need to, you know, fine tune the messaging and really tell working class people just how amazing we've been for them, I think is incredibly condescending and just utterly misses the point. Of course, lets all of the people that you're talking about, the consultant class and the elites that let us down this disastrous path as a country, and certainly for the Democratic Party, lets them completely off the hook.
Speaker 5: Well, there's a lot here, including the fact that what we're consulting firms on K Street in Washington, d C know about how to talk to people in Kansas even if they wanted to, or know how to talk to people in Nebraska, or know how to talk to people in North Dakota. Meanwhile, once again going back to the membership of the DNC, you have members who do know, who have been working in those states for sometimes decades, and they are their voices are nullified. They're given very little in terms of money. It's they're just always begging for some help from the DNC. Now, the greatest deviation is not on the matter of messaging. It's on the matter of values and principles and what does progressive governance mean? What are the values of the Democratic Party. But he's not entirely wrong, because the Republicans are very good about tending to their base. They talk to people all year in a non condescending way, and they keep people informed. Now unfortunately for people like us, Yeah, they keep them informed, but always through the lens of you know, the Republican playbook. We what the Democrats have done, and I think to some extent that's what Senators what was referring to, basically just show up every two or four years, always with a gimme attitude, give us your votes, give us your money. Then you're supposed to just assume that we're going off into our wood paneled rooms and we're doing what's best for you, right, and then we'll be back in two years to talk to you. I do feel to some extent the Republicans don't walk their talk, but the Democrats haven't talked their walk. One of the reasons I want to be chair. Is that you know, if the Democrats have the White House, you have the largest megaphone in the world. If you have the Speaker of the House, you have a large megaphone. If you're in control of the Senate. We're not going to have any of those things over the next session. So the Democrat the DNC has to be the megaphone. That's why it's not enough, even the best of them who are talking about traditional political activism we have. We've got to become a prophetic voice, which is what traditionally the Democratic Party was, someone who is out there and creating an entire communications network and infrastructure to be talking to people.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 5: And a lot of that has to do with unleashing the power of those in these states who know how to talk to people in their states, including the fact if you're going to have a consulting firm working in Kansas, it should be a consulting firm in Kansas. It is the money when you were saying it's a racket, it's the money that's kept right here. Earlier, you and you were talking about O'Malley talking about how and David Pluff saying we need more money.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, let me actually I have that clip.
Speaker 2: Let me just play that clip so people know, no, right, yeah, because it is extraordinary. So David Pluff, you know, we we covered on this. I'm sure you watch the big pozse of interview with the Kamala Harris senior staff. We're like, we were perfect, we did everything right.
Speaker 5: People just don't understand.
Speaker 2: And one of the only critique, effectively, I don't want to you know, I don't want to overly generalize, but basically the only critique was David Pluff saying like we should have been a little more corrupt the way the Republicans were. Like, that's your takeaway in any case, that's what we need to this. Oh, Maley gets asked this question about, hey, do you agree with David Pluff on this from Densaki over on MSNBC. Let's go ahead and take a listen to a bit of that exchange.
Speaker 12: Let me ask you about something that David Pluff said on pot Save America someone you and I both know. He said, quote, we have to stop playing a different game as it relates to super packs than Republicans. They coordinate more than weight we do.
Speaker 4: I'm just sick and tired.
Speaker 12: Of it, and he was talking about kind of legal advisors saying to the DNC and others, you can't coordinate at all with super packs while Republicans are doing that.
Speaker 10: What do you make of that?
Speaker 8: I think there's to that observation, and that's what I've heard as well talking to people, both lawyers and also people within the d NC. We need to make greater use of the flexibilities.
Speaker 13: Not to do things illegally, but we.
Speaker 8: Need to be making greater use of the flexibilities in the law, especially for moving money around, spending spending dollars appropriately on things so that say hockey Jeffries and his congressional candidates don't have to spend that money on If we can do with there's a party. So we need to make better use of all of the flexibilities that are in the law, because lord knows, we're getting pounded because of some of them. We need to make sure that we are playing by this new and ever developing set of rules. But that's a promising our principles. We believe in the republic ORNs above the law, but we do have greater flexibilities than we're currently using.
Speaker 4: Use more flexibility in a law. Marian, what do you think?
Speaker 5: Yeah, what these people are doing including a pluff or trying to deflect from what really happened here. Remember, Hillary Clinton had a lot more money than Donald Trump did, and we all know the stories about the absurd expenditure expenditures of the Harris campaign. The real story here is not that they need more money. The real story is about what they spend their money on. The real story is about these consultant firms. It's a consultancy class, about their money, about their contracts that they get, by the way, whether the Democrats are in power or not. Meanwhile, you know, I had a meeting with some people from the state parties and they had sent me a document about the money that the DNC was going to be giving to the state parties. And I looked at it, Crystal, and I thought, maybe I'm reading the wrong numbers. And then I read it again. And then I picked up my phone and I used a calculator, and then I read it again. Maybe my calculator is broken. It was like the budget of a small nonprofit. We're talking about having to save our democracy here, and this is a consultancy class. They're talking about getting more money. They want to get more money, they want to do more with super packs, by the way, and in order to feed themselves. Because they're not feeding, they're not feeding the states. And not only that, they're not even feeding themselves in a way. Once again, I'm going to say it again, these people lost Michigan, these people lost Pennsylvania, these people lost Wisconsin, these people lost Ohio. The entire template, the entire paradigm of how things work and the governance of the DNC needs to change. That is what I believe a lot of the members of the DNC do realize. These are some very good people and some very smart people. Nobody's dumb here. Everybody gets what's happened.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 5: The issue is are we willing to demand the changes? And this is the first time, this race, is the first time in a long time that the membership of the DNC does have the opportunity to say, you know what, we're going in another direction. Yours is a failed to template, and if we continue with that without addressing the deeper problems, there won't be any real change. If we want a different government in the House, if we want a different government in the White House in four years, we're going to have to be a different Democratic Party. You know Trump is a political sorcerer. They we have to meet the level of of his frequency psychologically and emotionally with the American people, and you're certainly not going to do that with people with fake tattoos on TikTok and languaging. You know, when people were telling me some of the ways that the people in their state were offended by the verbiage, so that when Senator Schumer says, we didn't talk to them enough, even when you talk to them, you talk to them in ways that have nothing to do with that single mother who works at Walton. She's got two kids. Walmart, she's got two kids. This whole thing needs to needs to change. And we have the membership, I'm absolutely sure of it. You have so much energy and talent to be unleashed within the membership of the DNC. But that elite establishment, which doesn't even report the numbers of where that money is going, but purports to be the ones who know and the ones who know how to do this, that entire template of governance needs to change. And I'll return to it.
Speaker 2: Well, in a sane world, many people within the party party elites would be looking to you and saying, you know, in terms of the domestic message that you were running on.
Speaker 4: You were absolutely right.
Speaker 2: Some of them are even admitting now you know, you know that Bernie Sanders that class based analysis in the party, maybe they were onto something. They'd be admitting that, they'd be admitting how wrong they were to block you and others and really, you know, just completely cancel the primary process in certain instances, and they'd be saying, you know, these are the type of voices that we need in the party elevated so that we can dramatically turn this ship. Unfortunately, we aren't seeing that reckoning within the elites. But you know, I pray that you're correct in your analysis and that there's that desire for change among some of the rank and file in the DNC. Mariyan tell people were they can follow you and substack your podcast and then thank you, yeah.
Speaker 5: Thank you, thank you. Well, people go and certainly look at my substack at Maryanwilliamson dot substack dot com and the website for the race now that I've got those now that we've got those signatures, the website will be up today or tomorrow. But people can certainly follow me on social media. I'm out there and at this point I think we have we have the critical mass of people who understand what the problem is. Now we need a critical mass of people who have the spine and the courage to say we're going to change this, because the assault on our democracy is simply too great to tolerate.
Speaker 4: Very well said Mary, and great to see you. Thank you so much, My pleasure