Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: The video is apocalyptic.
Speaker 3: Some of the news broadcast I'm watching with what's happened in California, Los Angeles, Pacific Palisades.
Speaker 2: Man, it's heartbreaking.
Speaker 3: It's one thing when you get out of your house and you're safe and you've evacuated, but you still lost your house. And that video it is it is really really tough. It's it's devastating in more ways than one. So the firefighters, thank God for them. And I always think about this, you know, whenever you're in a hometown, you're small town and you see the firefighters out there and they'll have that day where they have their boots and they're collecting money. Think about that next time. Just think about that next time with those great people. But uh, you know, well, this feels like it's a yearly thing that goes on an annual thing. Unfortunately with California and these winds are whipping, I mean eighty ninety miles per hour, you're not sure where to go even when you evacuate. Talking to a friend last night at two in the morning my time, and he said, I don't know where to go in the which direction said, it's scary, so the proverbial thoughts and prayers, but certainly more than that, whatever that is, certainly more than that. But really really that you watch and you're like, that is real, and that's happening right now. It's almost like from a movie set. But it's not all right.
Speaker 2: Our job is to be a diversion.
Speaker 3: Our job is to entertain, make you laugh, make you think, make you smile, and we'll try to do that today. We got the Minister of Humor here, Fritzy in the back row. You got seat, and you got Marv, you got Paula yours truly and of course the back room guys.
Speaker 2: Good morning.
Speaker 3: If you're watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app to watch the program. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of The Dan Patrick Show, and this first Hour brought to you by Rapid Radios, the official walkie talkie of the DP Show. Instant Push to Talk offering national LTE coverage, nose subscriptions ever, business owners keep in touch with up to two hundred staff members at one time one push of a button. Go to Rapid radios dot com up to sixty percent off and free shipping. We'll talk to Chase Daniel, the former quarterback. He'll join us from now. He's driving up from San Diego to Los Angeles and he works for Fox Sports one. So hopefully Chase will be okay commuting from San Diego up there with the fires. Mike Florio on the comings and goings here of you know, Antonio Pierce gets fired. I was not surprised that he got fired. This has Tom Brady's fingerprints all over it. In my opinion, as a minority owner, if I'm Mark Davis, it'd be crazy not to use Tom as the sounding board to say what do you think we should do, how do you think that we should approach this, and what coach do you have in mind?
Speaker 2: So Florio will join us a little bit later on as well.
Speaker 3: Got a poll question, Play of the Day, stat of the Day eight seven to seven three DP show operator Tyler sitting by. He'll take your phone calls. Got a big basketball game tonight. It'll be the Thunder against the Cavaliers. Thunder the best in the West, the Calves the best in the East. That's National TV. And then you'll have Spurs in the Bucks so you got Wemby against the Greek freak. So maybe basketball will take the spotlight and showcase some great talent, some great teams there coming up later on tonight. Back to Antonio Pierce being fired, I didn't think he was going to keep his job because of Tom Brady coming in. Now, if they had the number one pick, then I thought, sure, he's not gonna keep his job. It's you want to come in, Okay, let's start. Let's start with a coach and maybe we get a quarterback here. I thought they were gonna go all in on Michael Pennox last year. Now they could have gotten bow Nicks, but they got Rock Bowers, who is gonna finish runner up and Rookie of the Year. He was great, But you gotta find your quarterback. Now, imagine if you had your quarterback. I mean that's another thing. When you look at Rock Bowers and Malik Neighbors. They put up these unbelievable seasons with bad quarterback play, which makes it like if you're grading it on a curve, Damn that's impressive. So here are the Raiders with the sixth pick. Now, it's not a heavy quarterback draft. You're gonna have cam Ward, who right now is the favor to be the number one pick. If the Titans hold on to it, then Shadoor Sanders. Then you're gonna have Jalen Milroe at some point. But if you're the Raiders, are you going to get maybe somebody in free agency?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 3: I was talking to somebody, a former TV executive who is well connected with the owners around the league, and I'm talking to him about a couple of things, and I said, would the Raiders kick the tires on Aaron Rodgers? He said, well yes, and he goes, I would too, because Aaron respect for Tom Brady. Raiders, you're playing inside.
Speaker 2: Half of your.
Speaker 3: Games are going to be now granted you're in the AFC West, but if you want to do that bridge quarterback there And I said, okay, Like, I just I can't get into the Aaron Rodgers business now.
Speaker 2: I just can't.
Speaker 3: And I know those are respectable numbers that he put up, but there's just so much more that's going to go with this.
Speaker 2: Now, are you like, what do you have and you bring him in? What do you like? What are your expectations? Hey, let's win five games.
Speaker 3: Hey, it doesn't matter what our record's going to be peop who are still going to show up.
Speaker 2: We're a tourist destination.
Speaker 3: I don't know what the mindset would be for the Raiders that how quickly do they want to win? But if Tom Brady's involved in this, Tom Brady, he's not used to losing, and that's what I think. How do you expedite this? Does he bring in Mike Rabel? Does Mike Rabel? And this is another thing I asked the former TV exect. I said, does Mike Rabel turn down the Patriots as a way of showing respect to Bill Belichick? Because what happened at the very end with the Craft family in Belichick?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: He said, yes, I could see that happening now. Once again, this is just somebody's opinion on this, because I don't think anybody really knows what goes on with the Patriots.
Speaker 2: They're pretty, you know, close to the best.
Speaker 3: But if you're Mike Brabel and you have respect for Belichick, would you want to go back to where Bill coached and created this legacy? And he's going to have I think multiple opportunities. I think Brabel will have a couple of different places to choose from, which is interesting because he was available last year and maybe he decided that he didn't want to coach, didn't want to be a head coach, maybe wanted to kind of step back be, you know, a consultant for the Cleveland Browns. But now he's going to get that opportunity. But Brady's got to get his quarterback. That's the crazy part of this that the greatest quarterback now needs to find a quarterback and who's going to be good enough?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 3: Is that where you go to Sam Darnold. That's a possibility as well. So I think there's so much going on. Then you got the Dallas Cowboy situation Mike McCarthy. Now the Cowboys said no, you can't interview with the Chicago Bears. It's kind of interesting that in a week's time, if he's not re signed, they can't do anything about it. But then if he's not rescign and then they're not bringing like, I don't know what the hold up there is. But Jerry Jones after the game on Sunday was asked about Mike McCarthy interviewing elsewhere.
Speaker 2: Then I would say, go talk. I really would go talk.
Speaker 5: Sounds like I just.
Speaker 6: Let Zeke do that got But I don't want anybody here that's not healthy to have somebody around it wants to be someplace else.
Speaker 3: Really, it's not Okay, then why didn't you deny permission? Mike doesn't want to interview with the Bears. He'd rather stay with the Cowboys. But if you're not going to resign him and let hingm go interview with the Bears, mind boggling. Mind boggling. All right, Seaton, what's pole question for the first hour of the program.
Speaker 2: Well, we got a few of them here for you.
Speaker 5: Let's see PAULI sent one over the head coachless team that feels furthest from the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Furthest from the Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: Head coachless the phrase this sounds weird. Look at this, we're head coachless. How's the rest of the body? Okay, well, let me think about that. Maybe we'll do that in a few minutes. Okay, what else do you have?
Speaker 4: Seed?
Speaker 5: Uh, let's see we have better gig Fox Broadcaster or Raiders front office.
Speaker 3: Well, he is a part owner, so that's different than and they kept Tom toe LESCo as their GM.
Speaker 2: I just see Brady as a one and done.
Speaker 3: He does the Super Bowl and then he decides that he's going to be more involved with the Raiders. I just don't see Tom sort of in and like one foot in, one foot out with the Raiders.
Speaker 2: I just he's too much of a competitor.
Speaker 3: And it's one thing you can compete in this business, like I compete with myself every day. We compete, you know, with ourselves each day. But this is different. These are wins and losses with Tom and creating something, building something, and I think that would probably intrigue him as opposed to being a broadcaster. I mean, Tom can be at a certain level and he knows that there'll just be people who don't like him just because he's Tom Brady or he beat their team or whatever it might be. You know, Tom is competing against Tom, and I think that I don't know if he gets the same kind of adrenaline rush now he will when you do a playoff game, when you do the Super Bowl, Tom's going to be like, oh my god, that was awesome, but it's still not that awesome of playing in it. Or you're part of a team. Now it's a different team. It's the Fox broadcast team. But he's used to winning and losing, and when you get done with the show, only you decide if you've won or lost. Hey, how did I sound?
Speaker 2: Was that good? This is different with the Raiders, yes see.
Speaker 5: But if his plan was to be part of the Raiders organization, right, he's a minority owner, but he wants to be involved in the day to day operations. Why would you sign a ten year contract at Fox?
Speaker 3: Well, he got that before he got the Raiders situation. He didn't know that was going to be approved. Now, once again, I don't have any information on that, but I'm just thinking. I think Tom realized broadcasting is a little bit tougher than he thought. The thing he thought, you know what, this is fun. I'm around the game, and I've been around a lot of former players and former coaches who realize that those who make it look easy, that's how they stand out. Those are the stars. It's not easy. But when you make like John Madden made it seem like, oh man, you just kidding them in them mom, But it was so much more than that, Like you have to put in your time. Tom can't even go and be in these meetings now, Like he can't even be there to talk to these people like you know, the analysts normally do. So I think Tom it was an offer he couldn't refuse. And then I think he probably realizes that all right, I kind of like it, you know, it's kind of fun, but nothing compares to competing, and he's one of the ultimate competitors. And that's why I think. And look Andrew Marshawn of you know, the media critic, he's the one who brought it up and said, hey, he thinks Tom's going to be one and done.
Speaker 7: Yeah, pulling if you had this could be a five minute poll question. If you had a bet that Tom Brady has one job a year.
Speaker 2: From now, which would it be the Raiders?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 7: The competitive angle, yeah, yeah once once again.
Speaker 3: You know, I was around Drew Brees and when you're when you're in the studio, it's sterile. And that's what it's really jolting for these former coaches and players.
Speaker 4: It's like.
Speaker 2: Watching these games and.
Speaker 3: Then you talk a little bit about them with highlights and analysis. But if you go to games, broadcast games, there's a whole different energy when you walk in. And I thought, okay, maybe that can replicate something that Tom had when he played. That feeling and I Man, I like this. I think he realized it's a little bit tougher the critics. You know, you can't just go out there and say I'm gonna throw a touchdown pass. It doesn't work that way. Or man, wait till they get this analysis. And Tom is working with somebody who is trying to help him bring up things that nobody else is bringing up, Like he wants to get that he's a competitor there. And I was told that he works with somebody at Fox and they're trying to give him these stats, you know, things that he can work on bring up. And then it's like, all right, I see what you're doing there, Tom, Yes, Ton.
Speaker 2: Is he more concerned about his look or how he sounds in the air, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think his looks are all set, I think, but though, yeah, well, I think he's pretty good for a little clearly. I think in the next ten years he'll look pretty good.
Speaker 4: Still.
Speaker 3: His voice, his voice is something that you know it he doesn't have that great voice, But I don't know if that would factor in it all. I think this is just Tom. Get a coach in there, maybe get Mike Rabel in there, and then you find your quarterback, and then this is a different way of kind of differentiating you from anybody else.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: Elway tried to do it, it didn't work out. Now others have tried to be part of a franchise, and certainly great quarter Hall of Fame court of Dan Marino's with the Dolphins. This is something where if you create something like this, I think you just put that on the resume. It's another thing to put on the resume and say, yeah, I did that, did you yeah?
Speaker 7: Pulling as journalist Tom Brady just last night posted a picture on vacation. He's at the beach with a football in his hand. He goes, man, it's January. I got to see how the arm is. See if I can still do it like for fun. He's just goofing around. But of course he's shirtless and he looks the lighting is just perfect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he could still play, that's the thing. He looks lean he will.
Speaker 3: He will be the best quarterback in the building with the Raiders next year. Even if they bring in Sam Darnold, Tom or bring in Rogers. He Tom would probably think.
Speaker 2: You know, I could probably do this. It's just you know, this is.
Speaker 3: And I wouldn't rule it out after watching Lebron last night. Now it's different. Lebron's, you know, freakish the dunk that he had against the MAVs. But you know, in his mind, Tom probably goes, I could still do it. Only forty I'm only forty seven. I can see that, all right. Glad you're with us and whatever role we play in your lives on a daily basis, certainly those of you in Los Angeles, hopefully we can be a diversion for you today.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 8: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 9: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 10: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 9: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 8: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture. Stories that well. Other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 9: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So check us out.
Speaker 8: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 10: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 8: Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific.
Speaker 9: And if you miss any of the live show, just search Kvin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media.
Speaker 10: That's Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 3: Chase Daniel, co host of The Athletics scoof City podcast, host of The Chase Daniel Show on YouTube, and co host of The Facility on Fox Sports One. Chase joining us from his car driving through Los Angeles. How would you describe what it's like driving through Los Angeles right now?
Speaker 4: You know, I'm on the ten right now, then getting trying to get to work. You know, Fox is about six miles from Pacific Palisdays. Also, there's a huge brush fire going in Pasadena. But I'm going through downtown LA right now, traffic, a ton of smoke, maybe some fog, but it smells. I mean I started smelling smoke about ten miles south of downtown LA. So just trying to get through this. You know, it's a lot worse than probably what people think. Pacific Palisades one of the premier neighborhoods in LA. I mean, it's just burned to the ground. It's going up to Malibu right now. Just a really scary, scary thought for a lot of these people. Thirty thousand people already evacuated and as zero percent contained. And the crazy thing about it, Dan is there's ninety nine mile per hour wind gusts. Yeah, and so that's the difficult thing here for these firefighters trying to contain it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was live texting with somebody who lives in the Pacific Palisades over by Riviera and he was evacuating. You know, he said, I you don't even know where to go, He said, I don't know what.
Speaker 4: Direction the thing exactly, and there's some road closures around, so we're having to do that. But my wife and I literally were in Pacific Kyle States Village the whole thing is burning and the houses. We were there this weekend we did a staycation up from San Diego where we lived and just saw it for the first time. It was just amazed at how nice it was. I think it was built in twenty eighteen and it's just completely devastated.
Speaker 3: Right now, I'll make the awkward segue so we do talk some football here. More surprised that girod Mayo was fired or Antonio Pierce.
Speaker 4: For me, I think it was Drove Mayo. I think that was a surprise firing of the cycle. Look, I don't agree with it either. You bring him in. What did you think was going to happen when you when you draft Drink may your your entire team, really your offensive weapons, not where you want it to be. Look what Belichick did in this last season, and you you know, you have this coach and waiting term for him that he's had for a while, and you just give up on him for one year. Doesn't make a lot of suff And you don't even start Drake may at the start of the season. I think things could have been different, Like they're like, oh, he's not ready, he's not ready. Well, he's played exceptionally well shown some growth. This firing to me is two things. One I guess that Robert Kraft and the Patriots didn't like the progression and the developmental plan for Drake May and two like it just screams Mike Brable and so it looks like, you know, who knows what direction they'll go. I just think he got the raw end of the deal in my opinion.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but then Antonio Pierce gets fired, which I wasn't surprised. I thought Tom Brady's fingerprints are going to be all over this franchise, right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean there's no doubt about it. That was the one. You know, you go five and four as an interim coach and I think they were four and thirteen or something like that. It comes down for me with the Raiders and Tom Telesca, which I like Tom. They didn't get a quarterback this past year. They could have easily had the mo to move up to get one of the top six guys. I mean, look at what bo Nicks has done, right, they end up with Brock Bauers. I understand that, but I mean this definitely has Tom eighties singer prints. He's gonna have a say and the next echo. So then you look at who who's out there for him, it's like, oh, well, Rabel as well. So it just seems like Brabel's name keeps coming up everywhere.
Speaker 2: Well, give me the best opening right now.
Speaker 4: You know. For me, I'm a huge Chicago Bears fan, and I like what the Chicago Bears have done. I like what they have on defense. I like what they have on offense. They got to get Caleb playing well. But one of the main openings that I think actually would attract some people. And you're gonna think I'm crazy for saying this as the Patriots job, because you do have your franchise quarterback. I would argue that Drake May along with Jayden Daniels, are probably the top two quarterbacks that have developed throughout the entire year. They have their guy in Drake May. I fully believe that, and they have a lot of cap space to spend in free agency, so it depends on who they get, but I like both of those. I'd probably Patriots for me.
Speaker 3: You have to have an offensive minded head coach. Like what's more important to a quarterbacks development your offensive coordinator or your head coach.
Speaker 4: Oh, I think it's your head coach. There's no there's no more important relationship in my opinion, based on the teams I've been in the Hall of Fame coaches I've been with, and that relationship between a head coach and a quarterback, right. I just have said this always about defensive head coaches, and I've been with few. I've been with two of them, Brandon Staley and the guy and Detroit who got fired Matt Patricia. Everything is the quarterbacks fault when it goes wrong, or everything is the offensive fault, right, And I think that when you have an offensive minded guy, he protects the quarterback a little bit. So when you have these young quarterbacks and when stuff doesn't go right, I've just seen things go awry when a defensive head coach takes over because it's never their fault.
Speaker 3: We're talking to Chase daniel co host of the Athletic Scoop City pod cast, also the Chase Daniels Show on YouTube, which is great. He breaks down more film probably than anybody, and co host of the Facility on Fox Sports One. Speaking of breaking down film, I'm curious what if the Ravens go back and look at what Lamar did or didn't do these previous playoff appearances and you're going against a familiar opponent here, what do you think the Ravens will do differently or Lamar differently to get them past that first round.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a good question, man, and everyone knows. You know. Lamar Jackson's career playoff record two and four, nine touchdowns, nine turnovers in his career in the playoffs a one to one ratio. He was at a five to one ratio this year. Dan, For me, when you're playing a team for the third time and I've done it a few times in my career, stuff gets weird, it gets interesting. You know them, the Steelers know you. I would love to see Lamar get out of the pocket early in the game and make them to his legs. And I know you're like Chase, you ran for almost eight hundred nine hundred yards. I get that. But I think when you get into a game where you know each other, they're going to have a great plan defensively. The Steelers are. I think if Lamar uses his legs early, I think it's going to get them off Kelter and then it'll open up the past game. And then obviously you know Derrick Henry over nineteen hundred yards rushing. I think that is a big part of their deal, is like control the football, play in smash mouth football, you know how this is in the AFC North. I think this game will actually be closer than people think. I know, the Ravens are playing really well as a way, and the Steelers obviously four game losing streak, but I think this will be close.
Speaker 10: Chase.
Speaker 3: There's a lot on the line here, and some of it is just the perception. Some of it could mean changes. John Harball hasn't been successful in the postseason recently. Mike Tomlin hasn't been successful recently. Lamar hasn't been successful recently. Russell Wilson's trying to hold on. I mean, there's a whole lot of storylines in this game.
Speaker 4: I mean, it really is, and I think the biggest one and what we've been talking and that was the biggest proponent when when Russell Wilson was six and one, I said, hey, let's resign him right now, you know, and then all of a sudden he's like, okay, you know, zero to four, a couple of big red zone turnovers. As of late, you can't point the finger right at him. I think that's a big storyline. How does Russ play? If Russ doesn't play well, do they look behind door number two? This year for the quarterback. We had a conversation on the Fox Show of the facility. Hey is Mike Tomlin on the hot seat and I was like no, no, no, no. And the more you think about well, I mean, like, you know, sometimes this might be good for a change. I'm not saying that he's not one of the best coaches out there, but it could be time for a change. And then everyone knows Lamar thing. I think that's easily the number one storyline in this game is like, Lamar, you've put up Really you could be an MVP again this year. You could be a three time MVP, although I think Josh Allen will win it. You could be an if you go and you go two and five in the playoffs, what is your legacy? Like, I think that's a great game for storylines. You hit them all man, all.
Speaker 3: Right, before I let you go, give me the surprise this weekend. There's gonna be a road team that's well, maybe even a home team like the Rams against the Vikings.
Speaker 2: But you got a surprise for me.
Speaker 4: I look I would not want to go into Tampa and play the Bucks offense and Liam Calm and what they're doing, because they are playing really well. I think a team that can do it though, is Jade and Daniels and the Washington Commanders, even a rookie on the road. We all know what Philly did last year. Layden egg in Tampa. It's just a weird place to play in the playoffs. But Baker's having the best year of his career. I wouldn't be surprised if dan Quinn has some good defensive minded strategies to help slow down Baker, and then I think Jayden really balls out with his legs. I think zach Ertz sketches a touchdown. I think they might win on the road.
Speaker 3: More importantly, safe travels this morning. Thanks for joining us. We'll talk to you soon, Chase. Thanks for having me on Dan, Chase, Daniel.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio wapp.
Speaker 3: Mike Florio is joining us on loan from Pro Football Talk. Always great to talk to Mike, and you can see him with Chris Simms Monday through Friday, preceding this show on Peacock. Why did the Raiders wait a day to fire Antonio Pierce?
Speaker 6: Well, you know, first of all, Dan, there's no happy New Year if it's not too late to say happy to New Year too much of all? Yes, okay, that's fine, Happy New Year anyway. I mean, what's the alternative? Unhappy New Year?
Speaker 10: Is that? What happens?
Speaker 2: How about just hi Mike? How are you hi?
Speaker 6: Hi?
Speaker 4: Dan?
Speaker 6: Unless you are going to jump into the chase for Mike Vrabel, which maybe the Raiders will. You can't have face to face interviews with coordinators from other teams until January twenty, so you don't have to make a snap decision right away. But you'd like to think, as Jerry Jones so eloquently said last week, going into the Week eighteen game against the Commanders, the hey is in the barn on what you're going to do about your coach. The Patriots knew why wait now, Look, there's an element of awkwardness that creeps in when you're firing the guy still in the locker room after the regular season finale. But once you know what you're going to do, any delay in implementing it runs the risk that someone else is going to find out and it's going to get out there, So you know, whether it's Mark Davis wanted to talk to Tom Brady who was working on Sunday and not at the game and not available for Davis to cauc us with.
Speaker 10: Whatever the case may be.
Speaker 6: One day isn't a huge thing in the grand scheme of things, because if you're looking for coordinators, you've got a couple more weeks before you can even sit down and talk to them.
Speaker 3: I talked to somebody yesterday I trust in the business, and we were talking about a variety of things, including Brady's fingerprints all over the Raiders' situation here, and I said, I thought Antonio Pierce was going to be fired, So now you're the Mike Rabel situation, Rabel Brady relationship. And so this person said to me, I could see a scenario where Vrabel doesn't go to the Patriots because of his allegiance to Bill Belichick and what the Crafts did to Belichick out the door. I don't know if he would do that. You know, it seems like he's the obvious guy there. But can Brady convince Brabel to go to the Raiders.
Speaker 10: Well, that's where.
Speaker 6: It would become extremely interesting, interesting if Brady would use the way the Patriots treated Belichick, even though it kind of fell apart for Brady and Belichick near the end, but that's a way to convince Rabel not to go back there. Rabel's going to do his own thing. Rabel's going to do what's right for him. And he's got that red jacket with the crest on it that makes him a member of the Patriots Hall of Fame. It's going to be tough to pull him away from New England. But he's the one guy right now who is going to have multiple opportunities interviewing with the Bears today. Saints want to talk to him, Jets have talked to him, Raiders presumably will want to It's everybody with the Jaguars so far have been linked to him in one way, shape or four.
Speaker 10: And at the end of the day, he'll know in his heart whether he wants.
Speaker 6: To go to New England despite the things that happened with Belichick, and I could see Rabel compartmentalizing it. I could see Rabel smoothing things over with Bill. If Bill's noses out to joint. How dare you take that job and go to New England when I was there all those years? And you know, Rabel's got He's got a lot of parcels in him where he'll make his point in a very blunt way, but it's also kind of a charming and funny way, and he's good with people in that respect. And I think that he'll manage Belichick and he'll go where he feels like he should go. And it just seems like a no brainer for him to go to New England. But how many times do we see no brainers that just blow up and go a different direction.
Speaker 3: How do you think Brady like after he does the Super Bowl? Do you think Tom Brady's won and done as a broadcaster.
Speaker 6: I think that Tom Brady and I made this point last week. Tom Brady either has no self awareness whatsoever to realize the various landmindes and conflicts of interest, and it's just a bad look him trying to do two jobs that do not mesh. And Miles Simmons of PFT put it best when this was all first percolating. He wants to be the best at everything he does. It's impossible to be the best possible broadcaster you can be and the best possible part owner of a team.
Speaker 10: You can be.
Speaker 6: And he's either completely oblivious to that or he is hyper aware of the fact that he can do whatever the hell he wants, and he's going to do whatever.
Speaker 10: He wants to do.
Speaker 6: But I think at some point he's going to realize not being able to go to the games, not being involved with the team in the regular season as involved as he'd like to be, because he has another job that keeps him occupied on Sundays in other cities covering other games. I think at some point he's going to realize on his own that I shouldn't do both. I can't do both. I want the competitive juices. I want to be in the fray. I want to be with the Raiders full time. And I think that there are people in the league.
Speaker 10: Who are quietly hoping that's the way it goes.
Speaker 2: Will the Lions lose both their coordinators it?
Speaker 6: Well, you know, Ben Johnson is only gonna leave if he feels like it's the right opportunity. Alignment with the front office is one of his top factors, and he's learned from the mistakes of others where that window opens to be a head coach, you jump through it, and you land in a briar patch and two three years later you're out of a job, and you'll wish you hadn't left. And I also think, and I heard this this weekend, he'd much rather be the mad scientist who is designing all these different crazy trick plays and exploiting defensive weaknesses than the guy who's at the center of attention, the guy who gets all the pressure, the guy whose address gets posted online and people show up at his house. And Dan Campbell goes through a lot. Now he makes a lot more money, but four or five million a year for an offensive coordinator's not bad life. And you get to do what you want to do, and you don't have to do with all the hassles of being.
Speaker 10: A head coach.
Speaker 6: And he seems to be just sensitive to the fact that life changes dramatically when you become a head coach.
Speaker 10: It's got to be the right spot.
Speaker 6: And I would not rule him out going back to Detroit and just waiting and waiting and waiting for the perfect opportunity.
Speaker 3: Talking to Mike Florio, Pro Football Talk Live co host also contributor to Football Night in America, we just played our weekly game of in or out. I'm sure you've heard of it. The first pick of the NFL Draft will not be a quarterback. Are you in or out?
Speaker 6: I'll say I'm out because if the Titans decide they want a quarterback, they'll take one, and if they don't, I think they should trade the pick to a team that really falls in love with one of these quarterbacks. Now, it's still early in the process, and whatever teams have put together by way of preliminary draft boards that goes out the window once the coaches aren't coaching anymore and they get involved in the scouting process and their opinions begin to skew things. So there's a lot of work still left to be done. But just from the standpoint of teams that need quarterbacks, you got teams that have franchise quarterbacks and teams that don't, and the teams that don't are.
Speaker 10: Trying to get one.
Speaker 6: And the Raiders are a team that could maybe trade up with the Titans. You know, there are teams out there that I think if it's not the Titans taking a quarterback, they'll trade the pick to a team that wants one. Because the Titans could then parlay that into a bunch of other picks that could address other needs.
Speaker 3: If Jared Goff wins Super Bowl MVP, He's going to the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: Are you in or out?
Speaker 6: I'd have to take a close to look at his entire career. It would be his second Super Bowl appearance. You know, the Rams basically attaching a first round pick to get him off their.
Speaker 10: Books is not a good look.
Speaker 6: I don't know that it's enough to get to the Hall of Fame, but it puts him on track for something that three years ago we never would have dreamed possible, because I mean, this never gets described this way. But the Rams gave up an extra first round pick, They gave a one and a three for Stafford, and they attached the first round pick to Golf to get his contract.
Speaker 10: Oh wait, that's how far he had fallen in the eyes of Sean McVay.
Speaker 6: And it might have been the best thing that ever happened to him because it sparked this resurgence where, yeah, you know, I'd never thought of that, but I still think he'd have more work to do.
Speaker 2: Rank Final one.
Speaker 3: Aaron Rodgers will not be a player or a broadcaster slash analyst next season?
Speaker 2: Are you in around?
Speaker 10: Well?
Speaker 6: I think if he retires, he won't be a broadcaster. He said he'll walk off into the sunset. But I also can't imagine him fading away from relevance and keeping his mouth shut. I am out on him not being a player, though. I think he'll find a spot next year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do you think he will?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I've been watching Pittsburgh. I think Pittsburgh makes a lot of sense. And Sims made a point today this guy Chad Brinker that nobody heard of until yesterday, who somehow arrived in Tennessee two years ago and is now completely in charge of the operation. Nashville is a place where Rogers has a house. The Titans need a quarterback. Here's the key. Brinker was with the Packers from twenty ten through twenty twenty two in the front office. And we know how Rogers feels about the Green Bay front office. And he either loves Chad Brinker or he hates Chad Breaker.
Speaker 10: There is no in between with Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 6: So you may scratch Tennessee off the list right now if he doesn't like Chad Brinker. But I can see Aaron Rodgers and Mike Tomlin finding a way to join forces for one season, and man, that would be exciting.
Speaker 3: The MVP conversation is always fascinating. And you have a guy that if this was the Academy Awards, it's Josh Allen's turn, they would probably say whereas Lamar Jackson probably had his best performance. But you get voter fatigue, You get voters who go, yeah, but he doesn't do well in the like people.
Speaker 2: Have their own criteria here.
Speaker 3: What do you think this comes down to as to why this quarterback will win the MVP?
Speaker 6: Well, and I said this the other day, trust your gut if you're a voter, because what we do as humans we find objective statistics and facts to support whatever it is our gut is telling us to do. Anyway, watch Josh Allen, watch Lamar Jackson. Look at the season Lamar Jackson had in comparison to the last year.
Speaker 10: When he was the MVP.
Speaker 6: And I know that other guys had less seasons than that, and guys had better seasons than I get.
Speaker 10: All that, but you had to trust your gut. Who is the MVP.
Speaker 6: And you know the problem with this award, Dan and I say, this is one of the voters fully cognitive in the fact that they may take the award away or they vote away, and if they do, I don't care. What the hell is an MVP, Like, what does it mean? I heard Chris Fowler talking about it during the game on Saturday.
Speaker 10: Most valuable to your team? Well, is that what it is?
Speaker 6: I mean, it's an age old debate in sports, most valuable to If it's the most valuable player to the league, it's Patrick Mahomes every year until he retires, because there is no one bringing value to the sport like him. So it's just a crazy thing. And I just tell people, whatever your gut feeling is, go with it, because if you start coming up with objective justifications, all you doing is because we can find any stat to support whatever it is we want to do.
Speaker 2: Wow, but don't say that you don't want your vote. They can take it away.
Speaker 6: Oh well, let me tell you something. I've spent about this week. And this is a busy week, and I know we're covering sports. I've had real jobs. Real jobs suck. I'm not complaining about my job, but to throw another ten hours of work between the All Pro votes and the awards ballots on top of everything else, for the grand total salary of zero dollars in zero cents. You get to a point where you're like, you know what, I wouldn't be so upset if they.
Speaker 10: Took my vote away.
Speaker 3: I'll take your vote, okay, but I don't know if the commissioner will let me have it.
Speaker 10: Trust me, the commissioner has nothing to do with it. I would not if the commissioner, how did you have the vote? Yeah, I wouldn't have the vote.
Speaker 2: He would vote against you getting a vote.
Speaker 10: He would he would blackball me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, well you can ship me your your m v P vote.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, Mike, thank you.
Speaker 4: D's talking.
Speaker 2: That's Mike Glorial. Happy new year of mine.