Speaker 1: Hey, guys, Saga and Crystal here.
Speaker 2: Independent media just played a truly massive role in this election, and we are so excited about what that means for the future of this show.
Speaker 3: This is the only place where you can find honest perspectives from the left and the right that simply does not exist anywhere else.
Speaker 2: So if that is something that's important to you, please go to Breakingpoints dot com. Become a member today and you'll get access to our full shows, unedited, ad free, and all put together for you every morning in your inbox.
Speaker 3: We need your help to build the future of independent news media and we hope to see you at Breakingpoints dot com.
Speaker 2: Everybody here remember a Liberation Day and Trump randomly announced this whole chart of tariffs that we're going to be charged on, including some island that only had penguins on and it was the whole thing was ultimately struck down by the Supreme Court. And so now all of the companies that pay those tariffs are coming to the government at hand saying, hey, pay us back to put this up on the screen wall. Street Journal reports that tariff refunds are here and they are turbo charging earning earnings Apple, Nike, and FedEx. Are just a few companies recovering big sums relatively quickly. Some are passing at least a share on to customers. Well that's rather interesting, isn't it. So we've got billions of dollars that are changing hands here. Apple alone is getting two point two billion dollar tariff refund, Nike is getting nine hundred eighty six million FedEx, about eight hundred million, Amazon six hundred and forty million, GM five hundred million. Have you received any tariff refunds for the additional prices that you paid, because, of course, the way this worked is yes, the companies paid the tariffs, they then passed on much of them. There's been a lot of analysis of this. Much of that price Sike went straight to you, the consumer. So you do have a handful of companies that are saying that they're going to provide their customers with refunds. Most of them are not consumer facing companies. They're companies that sell to other businesses, or it'll be the businesses that get those refunds.
Speaker 4: Down the line.
Speaker 2: But meanwhile, this is really hadding quarterly earnings for these large businesses, so as if they weren't already reaching record profits in many instances, they're getting even more profitable, profitable because of this whole tariff situation.
Speaker 4: Apple said it's.
Speaker 2: Tariff refunds contributed eleven cents to per share earnings in the most recent quarter. That's about five percent of the quarter's total. Ge Healthcare Tech said tariff refunds had contributed eighteen cents of their dollar twenty four share it reported in earnings for the quarter end of June thirtieth. Companies said it had received one hundred and seven million in refunds and expected thirty eight million more. So got to love the way that just once again consumers left here holding the bag for all of this.
Speaker 3: Right, and by the way, the thing is, have you ever needed money from the government. It's right like, if you ever overpay your taxes, they.
Speaker 1: Owe you some money. I think I once waited ten months.
Speaker 3: This was rolled out in a matter of months to get as much cash from the government's hands back into the S and P five hundred fortune five hundred companies as quickly as humanly possible. It's kind of like when you pay your taxes, they take that money the day that you submit it. But if you ever need anything back, good luck to you, and it's amazing that whenever it's a big company and they need a bunch of money, they get it instantaneously. The top line is that forty s and p five hundred companies have reported nine point six billion in terra free funds over ten billion dollars. By the way, that's not even the most amount that is left to be doled out. As of now, one hundred and twenty eight billion in refunds being processed and a total of one hundred and sixty six billion in tariffs have been invalidated under the IEPA Emergence International Emergency Economic Powers Act, So there's still billions more dollars that are left to flow into the economy. Almost none of that is coming back. What's even crazier is how it shows that these companies, it's all financial engineering. It's all literally based on a tari free fund that they're boosting in terms of their bottom line, and we're getting nothing from it. I mean, many of these firms, they say refunds are dwarfed by the tariffs that they still pay is what they claim in some cases. But in general, especially for a lot of these technology companies, they are not lowering their prices whatsoever. Will actually will really know when iPhone. I think iPhone comes out. The new iPhone is going to come out next month at the Worldwide Developer Conference.
Speaker 1: Let's see what the price is. Yeah, at retail, if it's still higher, bullshit? Okay, because you got your refund.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's the other thing is they raise prices to reflect the tariffs. When the tariffs go away, do they bring the prices back down?
Speaker 5: Maybe?
Speaker 2: I haven't seen any evidence of that. I would like to see some statistical analysis of whether or not that is happening. But we know when it came to inflation, especially the COVID era inflation, they would raise prices not only to deal with the inflation of their inputs, they would raise it beyond that. And then once inflation goes down, they don't lower the prices for you. The prices only go one way. And then they're getting their refunds and they're still not bringing the prices down, and they're certainly not sending, you know, a little kick back to all of their customers who help them float this thing up front.
Speaker 4: So it is very illustrative of.
Speaker 2: How our economy seems to work, and also really important now because Trump is still holding on to some there's some terror regime in place, so it continues to be relevant there. But also as we head into another period of increased inflation due to the Iran War. You know how all of these companies will operate. They will do the exact same thing. And that's why if you look at trends historical trends, corporate profits as a percent of GDP are at an old time high. That means they are eating more of the economy and there is less left for you. So this is just one more example of how even though initially they were you know, pitching fit and they're suffering, et cetera, at the end of the day, now they're getting these TERRF refund checks and they're using it to pad their earnings, and you still were able to charge you higher price.
Speaker 1: And I just checked.
Speaker 3: So for example, remember because at the time Baby Year went sky high with tariff, so I just checked, the price of the stroller that I bought is still well over one hundred and fifty dollars more today than it was at the time I bought it.
Speaker 1: This is fourteen months ago.
Speaker 3: That's so Razoicly, it's not that long ago that I bought the stroller. The car seat is also one hundred and twenty dollars more than what I bought it for, so same thing. They incorporated it in the tariff, but the teriff price they just never lowered. So I mean, and I've talked about this before, you can't buy a used car. I mean, you can if it's on secondhand market like in terms of Facebook, Marketplace or something.
Speaker 1: You're not supposed to.
Speaker 3: Buy a used car seat. It's one of the few things that you can't recycle in terms of baby gear. So new stroller, new cars, a lot of new parents these days. You're getting slammed because over ninety percent of this stuff is all made in China, and all of it was hit initially by tariff. They increased the price. Now they're getting the refund. I just checked their website. There isn't shit shown up on the website of the stroller. And these are all the stroller companies from what I can see, there's a website which actually put them side by side for where they are. Many of them are either one to two to three hundred dollars more than they worry. I mean, back in the nineties, that's the entire cost of a stroller, not just surprise increase.
Speaker 2: Right, We're there, that's exactly right now, not even then, I mean it's not that long ago then maybe're right. Yeah, there's a term for they call it taking price, and it just means like what they can get away with. And so they found they could get away with this. People accepted the prices because they had no other alternative, and so they're going to continue paying forcing you to pay those prices even though they no longer have to pay the tariff. There are a couple other economic stories that we wanted to get in here as well. So as prices go up for you and consumer budgets continue to be stretched, debt, personal debt reaches new all time high levels, let's see what our president is doing to help alleviate the burden. He's thinking about reducing capital gains tax. Of course, this would be overwhelmingly if it would go to who the rich, So he's literally this is how out of touch this guys.
Speaker 4: It really is incredible.
Speaker 2: He's seeing this as a way to boost his position in the midterms by calling for cutting the capital cutting the taxes of the rich. He thinks that is going to be a winning midterm strategy.
Speaker 1: Country club boomers around the world celebrate.
Speaker 2: Your working class billionaire at work here, guys, congratulations.
Speaker 3: Country club men across the United States celebrate this potential. So I'll explain it, because it's actually even crazier. Trump has expressed interest in indexing capital gains and exemptions for homes of sale worth two million dollars or less. So you know this is the great This would be the greatest boomer tax cut in the history of the United States to extend and increase.
Speaker 1: Cap gains up to two million for these people.
Speaker 3: Who probably bought it like a couple hundred thousand, and make them pay nothing. In addition to making it, Remember who owns the vast majority of these stocks, and who are these people doing capital gains sales up to fund their lifestyle On the it's all the retired people, rich retirees, So those are the people who it would be a dramatic cut for. Also, I think it would have a cyclical effect where some idiot, your idiot nephew who's a day trader on his way to going broke, well, I got to do it because capital gains are going down, and so he would be even more encouraged to lose all of his money. I just saw a steady yesterday that it's quote. Day trading is directly correlated with IQ and education. So if you are a modern day day trader and you do not work for Susquehanna Partners are one of these, you're probably an idiot and you should probably stop.
Speaker 2: Okay, Wait, the more likely you are to day trade, the lower your IQ is.
Speaker 1: Lower your IQ and lower your education level. So it is. It is a direct correlation of education and IQ.
Speaker 4: It makes ten because because it's quick, riginal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like it is gambling, exactly.
Speaker 6: What it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, so okay. The Steelman argument for the capital gains reduction for the two million dollar houses is that this would help encourage boomers to sell those homes and move and downsize and move. And I'm just thinking, like, you can't think of any other way to accomplish this goal than giving them another tax cut, than giving rich people even more money. Look at the taxes, like they have broken the progressive taxes. It does not exist, especially for the actual like ultra wealthy, it does not exist for them. But yeah, if you are homeowner, you're already getting a much sweeter deal than renters from the tax code. And so the only way you can think of to try to gently encourage people to downsize and move on to these homes is to give them yet another tax cut. Like there's got to be another way that's going to be more effective than what we're talking about.
Speaker 3: Right, And again, I might be some CPA might come after me, but I'm pretty sure that if you're married filing jointly, yeah, you're right around. So that's what you're married filing jointly, and if all of your long term gains are if you make less than let's say, withdraw ninety eight thousand dollars from the market, if you're married filing jointly and that's your income, you pay zero dollars in capital gains, you pay nothing. And then even in terms of the capital gain, I don't know if he mentioned short term and long term, because obviously that's a difference, but dropping it down to seven, I mean that would be a massive win. Like these are for people who are extraordinarily wealthy, Like we really can't comprehend how much wealth these people are sitting on. I was reading a story about the number of people with five million dollars in their vanguard accounts. Is like millions of people now, like millions of Americans are in the five and the ten million range. More power to I'm happy for you, you saved, he retired. I'm not saying we're going to take it, but it's like, fifteen percent ain't all that much to ask for whenever we're talking about a cow long term capital gain, especially when you and I are sitting here paying i don't know, after tax income rate of something like twenty thirty whatever percent just W two income. And then for average Joe, I mean, especially if you're a normal middle class guy between FIICA and but yeah, between FIKA health insurance and the progressive income tax rate and you get your paycheck, especially if you live in New York or something like that, you're looking at look sixty percent of your money. That's crazy, Yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 2: And and these are the people, by and large, you know, when we're talking about older people with these multimillion dollar homes who benefit the most from the most prosperous for the middle class exactly like time period in American history, so to you know, to pay the capital gains, the launch term capital gains, tax on your multimillion dollar residence. Doesn't seem too much to ask.
Speaker 4: But don't worry.
Speaker 2: It's not only rich people that this administration is looking out for. They're also looking out for money launderers and other variety of con artists. Let's put this last piece up on the screen. This is very significant. So it sounds very technical, it's pretty straightforward. Actually, finn Sen is permanently ending beneficial ownership reporting requirement for the frame it of millions of small business owners. So previously, when you were setting up a business and LLC something of the sort, you had to report out who actually was the owner of this business. So you couldn't and this is a relatively new regulations passed by Congress bipartisan way.
Speaker 4: They wanted more transparency here.
Speaker 2: Why because LLCs tend to be used extensively for money laundering and financial fraud. So you would have all of these series of shell companies of various LLCs that would hide the true owner, which would end up being some like Russian mobster or something of that nature. Okay, So they put this in place to try to crack down on that, and by all accounts, it was somewhat successful, and there was a whole registry of who are the actual beneficial owners of these companies, so who actually owns them, who's actually benefiting them. It also comes into play in terms of real estate transactions and major cities that become the playgrounds not only for global elite, but ways of them laundering money from illicit crimes they're committing around the world. So, anyway, Trump decided we're not doing that anymore, at least not for domestic businesses.
Speaker 4: Foreign businesses still have to do it.
Speaker 2: And not only are we not doing that anymore, we are going to delete the entire previous registry that existed, so that all of the information that was already collected is now going to be disappeared and impossible for law enforcement, for example, to use to try to crack down on various money laundering and other fraud schemes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and look, small business guys, I get it. You and I had to fill this out. It took me an hour.
Speaker 1: It was a pain in the ass.
Speaker 2: It's an hour, all right, It's not that big a deal. Let's be honest.
Speaker 1: It's still annoying. It was annoying. You know, why why do they need all this information for me?
Speaker 6: I get it.
Speaker 3: I hear you, I'm with you, the paperwork, all the taxtics, it's super annoying. That said, that said, we should consider that as small business people, that it's actually us who are the most screwed by this type of system because predominantly we're mostly the people who actually comply, whereas a lot of these loopholes are being used by the old rich or shady vehicles to hide around and to move money for beneficial ownership status, specifically to evade the taxes which again most of us law abiding small.
Speaker 1: As most people actually pay.
Speaker 3: And so in the long run, it's actually to our benefit, you know, the more of the the more that I looked into it, because you're like, well, by not capturing that, you know, you're actually giving them much more.
Speaker 1: You're basically giving them the.
Speaker 3: Free pass while you go through all the regulatory compliance, which most of us do. And I think that's why it really pissed me off, is because looking into it, this was quote sold as a victory for common sense and for American small business. Like they said, this CTA was to unmask domestic shell companies. The problem, though, is that the shell company problem was very real. Part of the reason why Congress passed this law in the first place. So, yeah, it is ridiculous. And I know that this has been a bugaboo for the ultra rich in particular and some small business guys who just don't want to fill out any paperwork, but just generally like the cap gains thing. And this to me, I was just like, how you've got even the Ken Paxton is out there being like twenty five thousand dollars tax deduction for health insurance. You know, all these crazy doubling the child tax crit and Trump is like, let's have the cap gains rate for boomers.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, and last thing on the fraud part, right, this is administration that talks a lot about fraud when it's convenient for them, when the targets are convenient for them. For example, in Minneapolis, right, Jade Vance is the czar of rooting out fraud or whatever DOGE was supposed to be about rooting out fraud. They found literally there were no prosecutions that came out of their gutting the federal government. It's supposedly to try to root out this kind of fraud. The reality is number one, Trump has gone on a pardon spree. Of many high level fraudsters who have ripped off Americans to the tune of millions of dollars. And not only are they're not having to serve their prison time, they're not having to pay back.
Speaker 4: The people that they defraud.
Speaker 2: It is just reading a story about a guy who was ripped off by some pyramid scheme. That fraudster was pardon, No longer is he going to get that restitution.
Speaker 4: And this is a guy who voted for Trump. Was like, what the hell?
Speaker 2: Federal white collar prosecutions are at a forty year low, So if you're a white collar criminal you can just basically get away with it at this point, especially if you know, slip some money to Magar, to the Trump campaign or the ballroom or whatever particular thing he's raising money for now and now you have this action which blatantly makes it easier to commit fraud and financial crimes. So this is not just this isn't a standalone action. This is very consistent with a widespread pattern of enabling and encouraging frankly white collar crime from this administration.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, let's get to big bend. Sorry, we film out of order.
Speaker 1: Sometimes Isaac standing.
Speaker 3: By he definitely didn't just record it. Very excited now to be joined by friend of the show. Isaac's all. He's the founder of tangle News. Great friend of the show. Good to see you man, Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 6: Yeah, thanks for having me. Always glad to be here, Siger.
Speaker 3: So, Isaac, you I've been at the forefront of highlighting the construction of a border wall, or at least that's what they're saying that it is that's going down in Big Bend National Park. Let's go and put this up here on the screen, some of the video of the destruction in the national Park. This is particularly drawn scrutiny because, as you have pointed out, this is a very low traffic area, significant amount of destruction to the park is happening. In addition, it appears that some Trump contractors are involved. So before we get to the Trump administration pausing construction, it appears at the request of the governor of Texas, give us the background about what led to this national outcry.
Speaker 7: Yeah sure, so, I mean, as you probably know in your audience find knows, President Trump has promised to build a contiguous wall across the southwestern border, and they have made some prime rest in California and Arizona and parts of Texas, and now they're moving down into southwest Texas, which is the Big Bend region. So there are plans right now for these thirty foot steel ballard walls actually outside the National Park.
Speaker 6: In some of the counties that run into the National Park and are.
Speaker 7: On both sides of the park, they had plans for thirty foot steel ballared walls inside the park. There was such an outcry when those plans were released that they sort of updated their maps to say, no, actually, we're just doing vehicle barriers, which are these four to six foot tall walls and roads, and we're going to put some fencing in and some new technology, but we're not going to put in these thirty foot steel ballard walls. Then there was a bunch of outcry and rage about that, because, as you mentioned, there are basically no migrants who cross through the National Park. There's about one hundred to two hundred a year we're found inside the park. And just for context, in a single month in October fiscal year twenty twenty five, in the Swanton border sector, there were about a thousand migrants who are apprehended. The Swaton border sector is the border sector with Canada. It's Vermont and New Hampshire and parts of Massachusetts. So that's one thousand migrants there in Big Ben National Park. In the entire last fiscal year there were one hundred to two hundred migrants who were found in the national parks. So, you know people who are outdoorsmen, Republican sheriffs, hunters, local businesses. You know, my family lives on the border ive property there. My cousins have a river guiding business. They're about to be blocked off from the Rio Grand. They won't be able to do tours down the river because there's going to be border wall outside the park and fencing in vehicle thereas inside the park, cutting off their access.
Speaker 6: So there's been a huge bipartisan outcry.
Speaker 7: And finally yesterday the CBP commissioner said that he was pausing construction and heading down to the park to put boots on the ground, which I'm grateful for you you would think he would have done that before the construction start, but I'm glad at least for now there's a pause.
Speaker 4: Let's put D two up on the screen.
Speaker 2: There's a Trump donor that was awarded some of these construction contracts within the park.
Speaker 4: What can you tell us about this?
Speaker 7: Yeah, so this is a big part of the story and something a lot of people are focusing on, which is this construction company, Barnard Construction, is owned and operated by a guy who gave over a million dollars to the Trump campaign in twenty twenty four and then got awarded this one point seven billion dollar contract to bring construction of the border wall down to the Big ben region. And obviously, for anybody who's paying attention, this looks like somebody who just bought a billion dollar grant from the President for a border wall that's unnecessary and unwanted in this part of the country. So one of the big things that we're trying to figure out now is what they're going to do.
Speaker 6: With all that money.
Speaker 7: This CVP says, you know, we're not putting this border wall, this thirty foot tall border wall up in the park, but the roads and the pathways that they're constructing in the National Park follow the exact same line on the original map that they release showing where the thirty foot steel bollered walls were going to be. So I want to take the government at its word, but a lot of people down in this area are obviously skeptical that this is just going to be a road or just going to be some four to six foot tall vehicle barriers. A lot of people think they're going to clear this land and then eventually this wall is going to come in, and you know, it just looks like a cash grab by these contractors who are just taking a bunch of federal money, our tax dollars, to go destroy a national park and then destroy this region outside the park, which it should be said, in the lower forty eight is the most pristine, untouched part of the United States. It is literally the wild West. Four to five hours from the closest airport. You can drive on roads for two hours without seeing a single person. It is a treasure of you know, America's pastime and especially of Texas, and it's why so many tourists go there every year.
Speaker 6: It's just kind of escape and go off the grid.
Speaker 7: And now it's that risk of becoming part of the big security state.
Speaker 3: Right, and I want to underscore this is not, you know, some liberal outcry. The governor of Texas, Greg Abbott, gave a press conference yesterday saying there will be no border barrier built on Big Ben National Park. It appears like what you're talking about. Family members West Texas ranchers and others, hardcore Republicans in R plus forty districts are the people who are pushing heavily against this. We do have a video of the CBP commissioner talking about the pause.
Speaker 1: Let's go ahead and take a listen, guys, we'll get your reaction.
Speaker 6: Isaac, I just.
Speaker 5: Landed in Texas headed to Big Ben National Park last night. I put a pause on all activity in.
Speaker 8: That park as far as construction goes, until I.
Speaker 5: Can get down there and do a personal evaluation, talk to some stakeholders, talk to local law enforcement in that area, and more to follow this.
Speaker 3: So the pause, obviously, this was you know, from I don't know. You tell me, what do you think that the eventual outcome was. It seems to me that the governor and much of the tech at Texas Agriculture Commissioner, many of these other officials seemed to be the ones who really pressured the Trump administration on this.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Governor added is taking credit for Rodney Scott, the CBP Commissioner, heading down to Big Ben and pause and construction.
Speaker 6: He said, that he had a conversation with.
Speaker 7: Him over the weekend and that he believes this is a direct consequence of that conversation. He said that publicly, so I have no reason to doubt that story. I mean, the interesting parts of that video are a the CDP commissioner conceding that construction is happening in Big Ben.
Speaker 6: We all know this because, as you showed, there's.
Speaker 7: Videos and photos of bulldozers and backos, you know, running across the Big Ben National Park ground.
Speaker 6: But it's worth saying the CDP for the last couple.
Speaker 7: Of weeks has denied in court and in their public statements that any construction was underway. They were saying that they were surveying and assessing the land and hadn't actually broken ground yet, you know, despite the videos going viral online. So I think it's notable that he acknowledged the construction was real and that he's pausing it. The other thing I'll just say is there is a process for all of this, for this kind of thing, you know, in national parks and outside national parks, which is, you know, as much as I sometimes loathe government regulation, there are things like environmental reviews, there are stakeholders who have meetings.
Speaker 6: They get to meet with the CBP.
Speaker 7: Business owners say look, we need this access point on the river, or this piece of private property has.
Speaker 6: This value to so and so economy. They didn't do any of that.
Speaker 7: They waived all the environmental laws, they waved all the processes that are normal in this situation, and they just started building. And that's why the outcry has been so crazy. I mean, people on the border want border security, they just want it to be done in a way that's smart. And as you mentioned, we have MAGA Sheriff Statius Cleveland, who I mean his Twitter feed is literally him posting pictures of migrants he's capturing in the desert and he's on CNN, he's going on National News, he's posting on Twitter about how stupid the border wall in the Big ben region is because you don't need it. What you need is technology to be notified that somebody has crossed the border, a movement, heat sensors, those sorts of things. Yeah, if you bring border wall stuff out there, you're just going to destroy the landscape and build a bunch of roads by the way that the cartel and migrants can then use to escape into the United States, which is one of the crazy ironies of this whole story.
Speaker 4: Just put up some flot cameras.
Speaker 1: Y No pointed at us, pointed that way on iron.
Speaker 4: Well, last question for you.
Speaker 2: I saw something about US seating hundreds of thousands of acres to Mexico as part of this project.
Speaker 4: What is going on there?
Speaker 7: Yeah, So the story there is pretty simple. All across the Rio grand which is the most precious water stores in West Texas, there are private properties that all bunt the river that are cattle ranchers. They're river guides like my family. They're outfitters who take people on these you know, off road journeys or horseback riding or whatever. The map of the wall is right now lace you know oftentimes hundreds of yards, if not quarter half a mile in from the river on the Texas side. So you can't just put a wall in the middle of the Rio Grande River. It floods the construction being possible. So they have to put the wall on the American side. And what that means effectively is that they're cutting Americans off from this critical water source. They're cutting Texans off from this critical water source, and they're putting a bunch of American texting land on the other side of the border wall. And so what I did through an assessment of the map and putting it into Claude. One of the very few positive use cases I found with AI, by the way, is figuring out how many acres of land is actually going to end up on the other side of the thirty foot steel bollered wall according to the DHS maps, and it's about two hundred and eighty thousand acres of Texas land that's going to be on the opposite side of that wall. And once the walls are built, the access points are controlled entirely by the federal government by DHS there. You know, we've had stories in the past the people who get key codes to get into the river, you know, to get through the wall there's like a gate there, and then they become a target not just of the cartel but of locals because they're the person with the key code and the access creates all these crazy dynamics and scary things for these people who own this land privately that are facing eminent domain threats to have their land taken from the federal government. So you know, it's not a sovereignty we're still going to control the two hundred and eighty thousand acres of land on the other side of the border wall, but private US citizens are going to lose access to it.
Speaker 6: And for me, that is just an insane thing to.
Speaker 7: Do in this moment, is to give away three hundred thousand acres of precious American land to Mexico, which I think is what the administration is doing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Isaac, you've been at the forefront.
Speaker 1: Matthew McConaughey, where are you, man? You know you're all in Texas.
Speaker 3: You got nothing to say.
Speaker 6: I got to say.
Speaker 7: There's a lot of ride or die Texas brand people who.
Speaker 6: Have not spoken.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying, you know, we've got our eyes on you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no doubt you're sipping beers with Shane Gillis in some bullshit soccer game.
Speaker 1: You don't have ship to say about Big Ben. Get the fuck out of here, man. You know I don't want to see you down.
Speaker 3: I don't want to see you when Longhorns gear come college football season unless you.
Speaker 1: Guys speak up for the Texas silent No, Crystal, this is a this is a big deal down in Texas, all right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the stars at night, Thank you very much, Isaac. We appreciate you man, thanks for having me man. Very excited now to be joined by Jared Cooney Horvath. He is the author of The Digital Delusion, a tremendously influential book how classroom technology harms our kids learning and how to help them thrive again. He is a neuro scientist and has extensively studied this issue, and I'm excited to talk to him. Jared, thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 8: Appreciate it, Thank you for having me on.
Speaker 3: So Jared, you have been again one of the leaders in this movement to move technology from the classroom. We have seen examples of this purveyed both from K through twelve all the way up to college. F two guys, just the latest example of something we're seeing. College kids are using AI agents to take entire online classes for them, logging themselves directly into course management software so they get the grade, but they're not actually doing the work. We see cascading in different types of these effects as technology has entered the classroom. So big picture, why'd you decide to write this book?
Speaker 1: What data?
Speaker 8: What is spared?
Speaker 6: You? Yeah?
Speaker 8: My background is just in human learning. How do humans learn?
Speaker 9: So I've worked with schools for fifteen years on just if this is what learning is, what does that mean for teaching? What does that mean for students studying and parents? And it was really around COVID. We've known for a long time that digital tech wasn't great for learning, but it.
Speaker 1: Was always somewhat peripheral.
Speaker 9: Until COVID hit, everyone went digital rightly, so you had to do something. But when COVID ended, no one ripped that band aid off. Everyone stayed heavy digital and kept pushing forward. And all we've seen is literacy numeracy scores really just continue to drop lower and lower. So that's why I figure now is the time to just put the data out there and say, look, we know that tech isn't great for learning, we know why tech isn't good for learning.
Speaker 8: Maybe we make different decisions in schools now.
Speaker 4: So let's put F three up on the screen.
Speaker 2: This is some of the latest data about the way US test scores in most states in the Union have been declining. Why US test scores are any generation long decline? And there's only a handful of states, It's like Mississippi, Hawaii, maybe one more that have bucked this trend. Over the past decade and a half. You're pointing to the advent of ed tech in the classroom. How do you separate that, though, from there's a lot that's happened over that time period. We had a reduction in the No Child Left Behind standards. We've had the introduction of personal smartphone use outside of the classrooms, so kids are on their screens in an unstructured way outside of school. So how do you look at all You of course had COVID and you pointed to the more significant learning loss that occurred during that time period. So how do you look at all of those things that happen and pinpoint in classroom ed tech as the single most significant factor here?
Speaker 9: Well, this is, to be fair, everything you've just said completely matters for emotional development, for social development when we just focus on cognition. I think an important thing to remember is we're not stuck in the US. We've got data from over ninety countries now over the last about twenty five years from international exams from their own countries testing regimes, and what you can see is in each country, as digital technology moves from a peripheral to a central feature in education, that's when their scores will start to go down, so it's not tacked to any one year. It's unique to win schools and in the US as well, when those states adopt digital technology, we can.
Speaker 8: Also then go back.
Speaker 9: Since nineteen sixty two, we've been doing academic research which is causative, directly linking digital tech and LFE learning and showing that when a screen enters learning learning compared to say analog methods, tends to go down.
Speaker 8: And then you can also with COVID, you.
Speaker 9: Can start to see do what we call regression analyzes where you can take the hit of COVID, remove that from data sets and say is there anything left remaining? Take sees out of the equation, take non classroom tech. Use be very specific about where you're using UTH statistics, and we still find the same thing. But I always say, look, the data is one thing, and that's very much in our favor, but it's the mechanisms. Once you get down to biology, we have better explanations for why tech doesn't work than anyone else does, and that seems to be the kind of the ceiling factors. We can kind of explain why it's happening, and no one else can really do that as well as we can.
Speaker 1: Can you go into that?
Speaker 3: So, like I think, I in particular, so I'm thirty four, so when I was coming through K through twelve, that was really the height of every student gets a laptop, the interactive PowerPoint. This was seen as a boon to the teacher in the classroom. I was telling you before the segment, my own mother's first professor of early childhood education, a big proponent of educational technology, has some challenging questions.
Speaker 1: She wants me to ask you, but.
Speaker 3: Just generally, what's wrong with that mechanism that you just talked about about technology itself as a medium for learning. Why isn't it the hope that we thought, let's say, twenty years ago.
Speaker 9: So there's going to be dozens of different mechanisms, but let's just stick with kind of the reading one. A big aspect of human memory is spatial location. Where in space does something occur, becomes a massive aspect of our memory for that thing, and ultimately determines how we can access that information later. Now, think of a book until this book here burns into dust. Every word has a clear, rigid, unchanging, three dimensional location till this book disappears. The word saddle will be ten percent of the way through left page, top, left hand side, It ain't going nowhere. That will become part of the memory I form and will ultimately determine what I learned from it. So this is why if you're an avid reader of books, you know, when you finish a book, you might not know verbatim everything you read, but you will know where in the book everything occurred. Like there's a quote you're looking for, you can almost flip right to it. Now take that same thing to a screen. All of a sudden, the words saddle is going to start at the bottom.
Speaker 8: Of the screen, pull through the middle, disappear out the top.
Speaker 9: There is no three dimensional location, so an entire aspect of human memory gets dumped. So this is why when people read from a screen, at about the four or five minute mark, the brain will send you a signal saying I'm not getting this, like I don't know where any of this belongs, and we just start skimming rather than actually reading.
Speaker 8: We just start looking for keywords. Off we go.
Speaker 9: So this is one of those easy mechanisms where we can say, if you have the exact same thing on a piece of paper versus a screen, people will remember more comprehend better from the piece of paper than the screen, just by the way biology and memory works.
Speaker 6: It's super interesting.
Speaker 2: So let me get you to respond to what are the critiques?
Speaker 4: I read?
Speaker 2: This is from chalkbe we can put this up on the screen. So they were talking about the way you analyzed the impact of ed tech specifically, and the writer says that the overall impact of ed tech in the studies that you cite is actually positive. Horvat says the effect is too small to justify the use of tech because it's smaller than the effect of typical classroom instruction. Taking that into account turns the ed tech results negative. He says, this is a key methodological decision on which your conclusion rusts. But according to Elizabeth Tipton, who's a Northwestern University statistician counts herself as an ed tech skeptic, she says this is not the right approach. Your benchmark, she says, is wildly unrealistic and carefully designed studies in which two groups are both receiving some sort of instruction, most effects are quite small. In that context, an effect above zero would be encouraging. So my understanding of this critique is basically, when you just look at the impact of ed TECH without comparing it to what would be happening if you weren't using the ed tech, the impact is either negative or somewhat positive. And so it's your choice to say, okay, but instead of the aed tech, if we were doing this other instructional method, that the learning gains would be more. That leads to the result. And again this statistician is saying that this is not the right approach to do the study. So what is your response to that critique.
Speaker 9: There are multiple ways to run statistics, and I hear everyone, but the point we're trying to make is every educational study. Oh so, there's a man named John Hattie down in Australia who's looked at over three hundred and fifty thousand studies in education. Over ninety five percent of them have a positive effect. Basically, his argument is everything works and this is why, because learning is biological. If you change your hat, a kid will learn. If you sing a song, a kid will learn. If you put a kid in a closet for a day, take them out, they will come out cognitively more developed than when they went in. Because biologically you can't stop it. So the argument from that side of the equation is always we cannot use as a baseline and education, otherwise everything goes. So you have to have some sort of different baseline in our field to figure out what's better than average. And in his argument, and if you look at any statistician, that value is going to sit somewhere between point four and point five. Now that number doesn't have to mean anything to anyone, just know that ed tech really undershoots that value. Whereas things like reading from a book, having a discussion with a teacher, doing a pair and share with your peers, those have values way above that. So you get start to see when we compare different strategies, yeao, some are going to be far better than others. But if you can go down to a study where you are comparing one tool to something without that tool in an equivalent condition, you hit what's called a randomized control trial. Now those are really really easy to do, not easy, but doable in fields like medicine, in fields like physics. They are almost impossible to do in social level fields like school. So imagine you give one school group a bunch of laptops and you don't give another school a bunch of laptops, then you can say laptops were better or worse than no laptops. Right, wrong, Because now we've got to worry about what were the pedagogies each school was using. Were these teachers asking kids to recall and these weren't. Were these teachers giving homework and these weren't. There are so many competing variables that when you want to look at the social level, you have to use these higher level values and use more averaging because we just can't drill down far enough to the specific random control trial mechanism.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 8: So I it sounds like like I'm skirting the issue, but it's not.
Speaker 9: It's just a different form of analysis, and social sciences require one more so than the other.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: And one of the challenges I saw Jared is he right across the west IQ scores and began to fall even as time spent in school kept rising. The answer lies in the meteorize rise of educational technology. But kind of to come back to Crystal's original point, which is really impossible to ignore. How do we separate out the technology from the digital milieu that we swim in as in these children, especially twenty twelve onward are inundated with screen time at home, either from television on the iPhone, and then you add educational technology onto that. Why is that not a modest effect and a significant effect, Because to my eye, what's happening in the home and in the rest of the world and all of that general screen time, which we know reduces general IQ, should actually be more of a significant factor. Or please challenge my general line of questioning.
Speaker 8: No, and it absolutely is.
Speaker 9: For general level IQ, it's going to be very difficult to parse things out. But we're lucky in school we can do these specific measures where we can flat out ask kids how often do you use tech at home? How often do you use tech for these purposes at home? And we can also ask them how often do you use tech in schools? How often do you use tech for these purposes in schools? So in a lot of our data sets are international ones. Anyway we can differentiate between those two modes again, account for one on and say what's left. And probably the biggest example of that would be East Asian countries. Is everyone knows East Aging countries are highly technological, their economies are based on technology, their kids are spending more time on tech for gaming purposes than anywhere else. Believe it or not, those are or pre COVID were the least tech using countries in the world when it came to school Singapore, Japan, China, Korea. These people were not using tech in schools. They said, use tech outside of the classroom. But when you're in a classroom, we're going with analog methods that we know work. And it's no surprise that up until COVID they had always peaked out on literacy, numeracy, science scores. They were always beating everyone else, even though their kids used more tech in the real world than kids, say in the US, they used less tech in school, and they still saw better cognitive growth than we did.
Speaker 2: HOWD do Where I get hung up on some of this as a parent in particular, is understandably we tend to talk about just tech as a broad bucket or just screen time as a broad bucket, where obviously, like when my kid is just mindlessly scrolling YouTube shorts, that is a really terrible brain rotting thing. Whereas to be honest, I think there's an argument that some of the video games that they play that require a lot of like language and social interaction and problem solving, et cetera, which is what a lot of the East Asian screen time you know, is centered around. I'm not sure that that's bad for them in terms of brain development, at least in some level of reasonable moderation.
Speaker 4: So how do you think.
Speaker 2: About, like you know, the quality of screen to do you have a hierarchy of which times, which types of device time are better or worse for kids developing minds?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 9: So again, I won't focus on out of school. So anytime you use a screen for entertainment letter rip, go for it. I'm just talking about straight learning. So in our context, when we're talking about digital technology and learning, it's any internet connected student facing device that is going to lead them down a path of non learning. But if you twisted my arm on the other stuff, you're right. I mean something like video game where you can hear another person's voice. And I didn't know this till recently, but that's what kids are doing. They have headsets on them, they're actually talking to other human beings. If you can hear another person's voice and you're actually communicating with them, that's fine. I mean it's not great, but I mean go to town with it.
Speaker 8: It's versus like texting.
Speaker 9: So we can do this kind of hierarchy right where if a group of human beings are hanging out together, we can measure the type of chemicals that are being released to demonstrate what kind of social bonding they're showing. And as you'd expect, when they're hanging out together, you get a lot of these social bonding chemicals. When kids are interacting via text, you get none of those social bonding chemicals, which is a good sign that text based communication isn't recognized as actual social interaction biologically. It's more recognized as isolating and threatening, which is one of the reasons why kids who use a lot of texting based tech like social media and stuff usually have lower scores on sense of belonging those things. But if you can hear someone's voice, so like when we were growing up, we used to call each other all the time. You have that long chord on the phone, you'd go sneak into the pantry. We didn't know it, But when you hear somebody's voice, you can get the same type of chemicals you get from social interaction. They're not as strong, but they're definitely there. They're not absent like texting. So I'd say, if you had to do a hierarchy'd say, look, if you're going to play video games, sit on the couch next to the person like we used to do n sixty four. You're going to get the best benefit next to that. As long as you can hear people in your talk new them, that's going to be next down the line. And then if you're just gaming by yourself quietly, that might be third.
Speaker 4: Down theap line right ectly.
Speaker 8: You're right, it's it's kind of how we're using them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And there's also just like a modern reality of some of my son's in middle school and you know, he's a gamer, and this is what he and his friends do. You know, if I was to tell him, like no video games, that would cut him off from a lot of his social life that he has now, because this is just sort of the reality of the world that we live in.
Speaker 4: So reflect on that.
Speaker 2: But also, you know, how do you and I know you focus more on tech deployment in school specifically, but you've also spoken in thought some about how parents should approach technology in their home as well. How do you approach that conversation without putting the entire burden on parents and shaming them at a time when look, everybody's doing their best and we're up against these like multi billion dollar companies that spend a lot of money trying to make their tech addictive and make sure that your kids are glued to the screen.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and that's it's one of the hardest things we have to face is it's the cigarette problem all again. We're giving something to our kids that we know is dangerous. I don't think there's a parent out there that's thinking, you know what, my kid needs more tech. We all kind of know that as soon as they're done with tech, we're going to have this half hour window where they're just crazy. They're going to have to get off of that. But you're right, it's how they built their social life. We basically lost that battle. So what I tend to say with two families when it comes to learning, anything that has to do with learning, if it's homework, if it's a reading, if your kid has to do a worksheet, print it out, buy a printer, do everything learning based analog. The first thing we have to do is separate the screen from learning. Kids view the screen as an entertainment medium and rightly.
Speaker 8: So that is what they do.
Speaker 9: They spend over two thy five hundred hours every single year using this machine to rapidly switch between media content. When we now say now use the same exact tool to learn, which requires sustained focus, they can't do it. Most of them only make it about six minutes before they go right back to Well, I'm just going to open this tab. I'll check this out. So anytime it comes to learning in your house, make it analog by a printer, get it out.
Speaker 4: Beyond that, print it out is a very strategy.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I would say beyond that too.
Speaker 9: Just start with a tech audit and totally non judgmental for all the entertainment based tech. Just spend one or two weeks with you and your kid. They do it, you do it? How often do you use it? What are you using it for? And as a parent, does my kids see me use it? What message is that sending. Just get a sense of the lay of the land, see what's going on, and then make small changes as you see fit. If you try and change everything at once, it's always going to bomb. It's like trying to change your workout regime in one minute. Doesn't work, right, Just change one thing. Say maybe next week, let's see if we can't shoot for an evening where the family watches a movie together instead of does text something like that, and then you just build your own values.
Speaker 1: That's my last question, Jared.
Speaker 3: One of the things I love about America, if you live in a locality, you can actually have immense impact in your school system. Like Crystal was telling you, they parents band it together. They're like, hey, we want our kids off machines. School board actually did it. So my daughter's going to be in school in a few years. I'm going to start going on to the school board meetings. What should I start demanding of my school board around this conversation about technology? What kind of guidelines if you were to design it from scratch, what should I push for?
Speaker 9: Go in first, get a coalition. One parent talking is always going to be viewed as a nuisance. Ten parents talking. Now we're going to start paying attention at schools. That just seems to be how it is. Don't go on the attack. Go with a level of curiosity. If you go there saying you're doing it wrong, they're going to push back.
Speaker 8: Nothing happens.
Speaker 9: Say look, do you guys know how much and what type of tech is being used in schools, And what you'll find is ninety percent of the time the answer is no, No one tracks this data.
Speaker 8: So say, cool, let's just do a tech audit for the next month.
Speaker 9: Can you just track what programs are kids using at what year level and for how long? And maybe we can even just if they have their own iPads that they've been given, we can just plug in a program that'll do that for us. Then we can say, okay, where's the data. So once we know where kids are using it and they say maybe they use this program but not that one, we can say, okay, do we have data that that is an effective way of learning? And what you'll see is ninety nine percent of ed tech tools have no data with them. Ed tech was the one field that was never regulated at any level. Your toaster has gone through more clearances than the pros we put in front of our kids tomorrow at school. So we can just say, cool, what's the data, and then we can make it clear that Okay, if there is no data, then either we've got to collect it, in which case, don't give it to every kid, do a small experiment, or b we wait till they collect the data improve it to us. If the focus of school is learning, then at the end of the day, every decision we make has to hinge on does this improve learning? And if there is no evidence that it is doing that, and if there is evidence that it's harming on the other side, then by all means we're in a good spot to say maybe we pull that back, divest a bit until we have better data to say this is something for our kids.
Speaker 3: I think it's a very smart approach that you just laid out. I hope everybody goes and buys the book, engages with the work.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much, Jar. We really appreciate your time.
Speaker 8: Thank you Jared, Oh, thank you both.
Speaker 3: Thank you guys so much for watching. I hope you enjoyed it. AI Block, it just went too long. Today we're talking with Jared quite a bit, so Crystal and Emily will be doing that tomorrow, so you get a special trade then and we're about to do the AMA so we'll see you on a bit.
Speaker 5: Spot. People to British