Speaker 1: Broadcasting from the Hip Hop Weekly Studios. I'd like to welcome you to another episode of Civic Cipher, where our mission is to foster allyship, empathy and understanding. I am your host, ramses John.
Speaker 2: He is ramses Jah, I am q Ward. You are tuned into Civic Sipher.
Speaker 1: Indeed you are, And today we have a very special episode because we are joined by good friends of the show. These two are community leaders, activists and they are aka's and recently we all had a fun time and a core memory, as Talay puts it, at the Kamala Harris campaign rally in Glendell, Arizona, where she addressed a number of things, including her plans for her administration with respect to Israel and Palestine. So we're going to have a conversation with both of them. I'd like to welcome to the show Brandy Irvin, Hello, and to Lei Hornback Hello, Hello. And so we want you to stick around for that conversation because again we are going to get the black women's perspective on Kamala Harris. And this is something that we have talked around on this show, but today we have two black women who also come from a lot of the same, let's call it primordial sort of stuff that indeed Kamala Harris comes from as well. And to know what this moment is like for you and to kind of sit at that intersection is something that I think a lot of people need to know about, especially with so much misinformation and disinformation out there. The second half of the show, we are going to be talking about something that we've talked about before.
Speaker 2: This time. Q is going to take the.
Speaker 1: First Mike position, the lead role, and give us some advice on how to talk to our political opposition online and just kind of share what he's learned and what he knows and what he's learning.
Speaker 2: At not know. I was given advice today.
Speaker 1: That he is because he learned something recently that I think you will be in a treat force take around for that and so much more. But before we get there, it is time for some Ebony Excellent shout. I think you shall.
Speaker 2: Today's Ebony Excellence is sponsored by actively black. There is greatness in our DNA. Visit actively black dot com. Today's story from NBC News Paris, American men have competed in track and feel that the Olympics for one hundred and twenty eight years. Never before, however, has there been someone as young as Quincy Wilson. The sixteen year old ran the opening leg of round one of the US four by four hundred meter relay Friday inside Statte de France. With that run, Wilson became the youngest male US Olympic track champion, eclipsing middle distance runner Jim Ryan, who was seventeen at the nineteen sixty four Olympics. Wilson later became the youngest Olympic mail to receive a gold medal after the US four by four made up of Chris Bailey, Vernon Norwood, Bryce Deadman and Rye Benjamin one gold over Botswana on Saturday. While Wilson did not compete in the finals, his effort in round one earned him the hardware and Friday's race, Wilson faded in the last one hundred and fifty meters to hand over in seventh place, three seconds behind the leaders, but Team USA did not panic with strong legs from the other American runners, seeing the US recovering to finish third and into Saturday's final. Without going into detail, Wilson said afterward he was not completely healthy. I knew I had a great three legs behind me, Wilson said, and I quote, I knew it wasn't just myself, because by myself we would be in last place. Wilson handed off the teammate Norwood, whose forty three point fifty four leg got the US back in contention. Norwood described himself as very proud watching Wilson. Quote, I was kind of in the moment because I was watching a sixteen year old running in the Olympics. Olympic history, Norwood said, the Olympics is a very interesting time for us to be very patriotic while also being very black and in an interesting position to be in in this country.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that absolutely is some ebony, excellent for you, and we are happy to celebrate it.
Speaker 2: All right, let's talk.
Speaker 1: To black women about Kamala Harris. So, as I mentioned, we were fortunate enough to go to Kamala Harris's campaign rally in Glendell, Arizona on August ninth.
Speaker 2: It was cracking. It was yank.
Speaker 1: Let's just talk to him.
Speaker 2: I did the bank here bounce for the first time.
Speaker 1: Gosh the music though, shout out to DJ Javin. So for many of our listeners around the country, you know that the show is based in Phoenix, Arizona. Obviously we discussed national issues, but we have a sort of a unique lens through which we view politics in this country and the state of marginalized people in this country. Because being in Arizona, it's kind of like Middle America, but it's also really big city. I think we're the fifth largest city in the country. It's also swing states, so there's a lot of blue, a lot of red, and this is kind of like, you know how Florida is an interesting place. This is kind of like the Florida but one of the most interesting well you know, but it has a very Florida s like you might hear some wild stories coming out of anyway. So our being here, we certainly take advantage of the unique position that we're in. We do get visits from obviously political leaders, We do get a lot of things that you would get into New York and La Miami places like that. But also this is the I think this is the headquarters of the KKK is in Glendelle, Arizona, not far from this camp where this campaign rally took place, if I'm not mistaken. So again, an interesting place to be and to you know, grow up in and this campaign rally, I was told was the biggest political event in Arizona political history, which certainly speaks to the moment, But I don't know that it will speak to the moment more than the black women who were positioned behind Kamala Harris at this event. You know, there was a few moments that when viral, a few moments that the media took out of that event, and those moments, you know, when you look them up online, you'll see Kamala Harris speaking, and of course the crowd behind her is seated behind her with the signs that say Kamala and the signs that's a coach that are kind of supporting Tim Walls and so forth. But in those photos right behind Kamala Harris are the two young women that are in studio with us today, and they were back there wearing their pink and their green and they were supporting their I want to say this right, Sarah. That's how you say it right, Solo. I know the word is soro, but I always hear Sarah, so either way it sounds Camilla says sorrow.
Speaker 2: That's the That's where I got it from.
Speaker 1: Okay, And for those that don't know Sora Camilla is doctor Camilla Westenberg was a frequent contributor to this show who was also an Alpha Kappa Alpha member. For those that don't know, Kamala Harris is an Alpha Kappa Alpha member as well, you made it a point to mention that she is an Alpha Chapter A k A member and chapter indeed and this moment and again, let me back up a bit for those who don't know the A k A is a sorority. Actually, why would I tell this story? You are here, Why don't delay? Why don't you tell us about the AKA.
Speaker 3: Absolutely Alpha Kappa Alpha story incorporated. It was the first black sorority established for collegiate black collegiate women, and so a CHI in nineteen oh eight gives you some insight into the history and challenges and barriers that our founders overcame to make such a historical milestone in black history.
Speaker 4: Happened fantastic and founded at Howard University.
Speaker 3: At Howard University of oh So pretty Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Yes that's an HBCU by the way. Okay, so years ago Kamala started being black, I guess again, so that she could pledge a divine nine sorority. Alpha Chapter at an ABC.
Speaker 1: She knew that was she in forty.
Speaker 2: Years she was going to play that Trump card and come back out black.
Speaker 3: Yes, and while we are proud members of the sort incorporated in our opinions expressed tonight do not reflect that of the story.
Speaker 2: Sure, absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 1: Now I think that.
Speaker 2: You being.
Speaker 1: At that event behind her wearing pink and green, knowing that she uh skipped out on meeting with I believe it was Benjamin net and Yahoo when she had an opportunity to to fulfill her prior commitment to go to I believe it was Houston. Am I wrong?
Speaker 2: Is it Houston?
Speaker 1: No, that's correct, Okay, So tell us about what was going on in Houston. Actually I think it was down Dallas.
Speaker 3: It was our uh boulet. So all members of the Storty come together every four years to accomplish you know what we what we set out to accomplish as service to all mankind. So formal business setting conference like environment and centered on keynote speaker as you can imagine. So it was a big deal of course to have a common present.
Speaker 1: Okay. Now, if you still don't know how big of a deal this was, and you are just now coming to the conversation about akas. I will be the one to tell you about my experience, and you all feel free to jump in. Q. You included in terms of service you mentioned service all mankind. I've never seen anything like it. The woman who's closest to my mother, she's certainly my college mother. She comes and does to show me. You mentioned her name, doctor Camille Westenberg. Her whole life is lived in service, and her support system is the akas. And she's not the only one. They're everywhere I've been with and it's just a It's an amazing thing. Because you know when people say bet on black women, black women save this country time and again, black girl magic, all these things, the thing that comes to mind most frequently to me is a Ka's There's there's no other. My sister used to compel me to go to AKA events and she's like, you need to go and don't come back without a wife.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: She was on what happened Ran.
Speaker 1: I'm still working on her because I don't know, but.
Speaker 2: I thought she hit you with the beatbox.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, But here's the thing. I think that all of these sentiments are well founded. You two were at this event with Kamala Harris, Uh, talk to us a bit about what it meant for you as a black woman. Brandy, We're gonna We're gonna go with you this time as a black woman to sit there over the shoulder of the vice president soon to be president of the United States of America who is your so roar and witness that moment.
Speaker 4: Like nothing short of amazing. And I'm sick to think that almost wasn't going to attend, but it was so amazing, Like not even just me being a black woman and have been in being part of the same sorority as our Vice President, Kamala, but just being there with an arena full of people who were excited and had all this energy and we're excited about this energy towards change and could see like a brighter And I know this sounds so cliche and just corny, but to see actually see a brighter future with someone than what we've been experiencing or what we can imagine in the future if there's an alternative. So just being there in that moment and then being able to be like right behind her, like girl, you have backup because we're here and you know, and and it's almost like yeah, like you have backup, Like we're here, and it's not even just about being you know, to the level of AKA and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: It's like.
Speaker 4: Or her party, or her running for president or her being the vice president. It's like, this is our sorority sister, and we're going to support her endeavors, which that day happened to be that.
Speaker 1: But also.
Speaker 4: You know, me personally feeling like wow, like there's someone who looks like me that will have, in you know, a short few months, would have the power to like really make a positive impact in this country. And it's exciting to even think about, to even imagine, like just the hope in the in the joy of just seeing it, Like it's I don't know, I'm gonna carry that like with me forever.
Speaker 2: The sad thing is that you said it sounded cliche. Maybe it used to, ye, but it doesn't anymore. You know, politics in our country have become very divisive, a lot of mudslinging, a lot of name calling, and the other side more specifically, they don't even campaign on policy anymore. They jump off the porch with hate and division, you know, racistristry and things that divide us. They look to divide us. So it's not cliche at all. And I think that what was so for Ramses and I especially, what was so energizing and so refreshing, is that they didn't come on stage hating on anybody else. If you look at that crowd, you see campaign signs and American flags, you don't see schwashtikas, you don't see Confederate flags, you don't see anti anything.
Speaker 1: Everybody was happy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So that's you know, you said cliche and but it's actually nowadays not cliche anymore for somebody to just come out and give you hope and enjoy and happiness.
Speaker 4: You know, they say laughter is contagious, and like you also know how the other side kind of tries to condemn Kamala for laughing and being joyful, but it's like the reality is is that's starting to spread and and that energy there's been there's an energy shift because she is happy, she is smiling, she is a positive energy. And you know, and I feel that you know, people who aren't that way, you know, feel attacked, but you shouldn't feel attacked by someone being happy and joyful and spreading it. You know, to me, it reminds meself like I like, you know, we laugh, we have a good time.
Speaker 1: We have a good time.
Speaker 4: You know, how to be serious when you need to be serious, But like if you're not being serious, it's okay to laugh a joke, to crack a smile, to be you know, chummy with people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would just add, you know, it is a historic moment. It's a historic time, and so I think that was just further events at our experience, not only being in the building, but where we lucked out or blessed to be positioned that was unplanned. And so you know, just our not only presence in the arena, but on whether that was television or whatever. It was already historical moment. That's why we went right. But to now have that tangible kind of evidence, uh, you know, the trail that we're there, Yeah, it was. It was a blessing.
Speaker 1: So let's let's let's keep going with you today because you know, we've talked about one of the things that we've witnessed is that this campaign should be exciting. It is. Okay, it is exciting. Joe Biden stepping down and making way for the next generation, if you will, of leadership in this country and embracing how that leadership looks. That's no small thing. So there are those of us who recognize the gravity of the moment and we appreciate it. But there are people who are kind of like trying to suck the oxygen out of the moment. They're trying to kind of sour the moment somehow. And a lot of the attacks on Kamala Harris aren't necessarily based on really anything tangible. There are things like the way she laughs or silly nonsense like that. One of the things, of course, and I want you to speak to this, is whether or not she's black. Now we know that her parents are immigrants to this country, but she's she's mixed race, right, Her father's Jamaican, and so that was what anchors her to blackness. And we talked about her history pledging you know, AKA at nineteen years old, which you don't do unless you're a black woman, you know what I mean. But as someone you know to lay as someone who is black and Fijian, kind of speak to that a little bit, like how those attacks hit you and how maybe that feels bizarre or if it's something that you're you're comfortable with or you've known about or whatever. So talk us through that a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, they definitely hit me home for me, I can I can relate to that. I think also just coming up in Arizona, right, and I think we're five to six percent black now growing.
Speaker 2: Up that much three to four percent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we've grown.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have grown, right, we have grown. But so I can relate on many aspects of the questioning right of blackness. But I do think that both can be true. She is both you know, East Indian, East Asian excuse me, and also black. I think what's most important is the perspective she brings to the table a minority, right, because that minority perspective is something that we all share, regardless of what group you identify with. Right, race is a social construct anyways, that's a whole nother discussion. But culturally and those connections between all of us, is that is that minority perspective. But I think to counter that in terms of issue black which is just the most ridiculous argument anyways, but we do have to address it, right, it's out there. I think one thing that we all know to be true that does unify black people in particular is a black experience, and I think a lot of that is lead a black experience with who you are on the outside, right, your features, your skin color, and so we know that won't step into your room, whether you're half Fijian, half Indian, half whatever. When you do look black, you experience the world different than those who don't. And so you know, I think just having someone who also has that black experience is enough. Let alone she is black, Yeah, absolutely, Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know the other side has this very strange standard that they hold themselves to and a completely different reality that they use to judge and view us that entirely different lens. Their narrative on our vice president changes daily. Some days she put on black conveniently so that she could run for president, which I don't know how they would see that as some advantage.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Other days they highlight her blackness and call out ways that she is somehow less qualified because of it. So they DEI higher. So they speak out of both sides of their neck with regard to her ramses, and I have our perspective, our sense of pride, and our sense of you know, it's interesting talking about DEI right us feeling like we belonged and feeling personally proud of where your soro is right now, but we could not imagine, you know, aside from and I'm actually glad that we have not, specifically on this portion of the show, gotten into specific policy one because she's been running for president for what three weeks, whereas most have far longer to construct, you know, their ideologies and what they think their campaign strategy and what their legislation and policy platform is going to be. She had to on the fly go from being the active vice president to now the presumptive candidate to run for that position. But we're spending a lot of time talking about how it felt. And I think that's important because I told Ramsen and I even spoke to you guys, there was a moment during the rally where I just start taking pictures of strangers because I just watched them experiencing joy out loud children. I saw a family that was three generations together there and and you know, Brandy, you and I spoke about, you know, the women in our family who when they became of age to vote, couldn't, and just the idea that now they get to elect someone that looks like them, and you all get to elect someone specifically that looks like you, the personal sense of pride that comes with that.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, there's a whole discussion that we had that I want to invite you to check out at the Black Information Network. It's on the Black Information Network Daily podcast where we do get into some more issues, but for now, I just I appreciate you sharing that perspective because obviously this is something that people need to know about how special this is.