Speaker 1: Hey, guys, ready or not, twenty twenty four is here, and we here at Breaking Points, are already thinking of ways we can up our game for this critical election.
Speaker 2: We rely on our premium subs to expand coverage, upgrade the studio ad staff, give you, guys, the best independent.
Speaker 3: Coverage that is possible.
Speaker 2: If you like what we're all about, it just means the absolute world to have your support. But enough with that, let's get to the show.
Speaker 4: All right, Good morning, Welcome to Breaking Points staggers out today.
Speaker 3: I'm here, Krystal.
Speaker 5: How you doing doing well so far? How about you, Emily? I'm great to have you here.
Speaker 4: Doing just about as well as John Bolton un CNN last night, who was proudly announcing that he is going to vote for Dick Cheney in twenty twenty four. He did it in twenty twenty. That's made with principles.
Speaker 1: A little too on the nose. Honestly, to be voting for Dick Cheney in twenty twenty four is really wild.
Speaker 3: At least vote for Liz Cheney if you're going to do it. Yeah, maybe even.
Speaker 1: Work upgraded figure resistance model of warmongering. Yes, yes, yes, anyway, important things to get to. In addition to John Bolton's voting preferences, we have some inflation numbers that just came in yesterday.
Speaker 5: Hotter than expected.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about what that means for you, and obviously what it may mean for the political landscape as well. There's also another really fascinating story with regard to inflation data. A government agency was caught feeding secret inflation information to you guessed it, Wall Street, who can benefit to the tunes of hundreds of millions of dollars from such inside information. Break that down for you as well. We've got some new abortion comments from Trump trying to contain the fallout over that new Arizona decision, and we also have some question marks about what exactly is going on.
Speaker 5: In his campaign.
Speaker 1: Yes, there's a sort of tale of two campaigns going on here, so we'll break that down for you. Also, turns out lunchables are even worse for your kids than you may have imagined, which is the problem for me personally, because yes, I do feed my kids lunchable, though probably not anymore.
Speaker 5: So we'll break that down for you.
Speaker 1: Very excited to be joined, honestly honored to be joined by ISRAELIJOURNALI is Gideon Levy today with Haretz. He's going to break down the very latest that is going on in Gaza, including an Israeli airstrike that killed the sons and grandchildren of a Hamas's political leader. Tucker kicked a hornet's nest over Palestinian Christians. Will bring you those comments and the fallout.
Speaker 5: Emily and I, of course will react.
Speaker 1: John Stewart with a great monologue calling out Biden's hypocrisy on Israel versus Russia and human rights. And I'm taking a look at Jonathan Chate's latest piece, which may be his worst yet, which is really saying something. So breaking down this piece where he's you know, he's going after protesters, saying that they're illiberal and authoritarian. There's a lot to say about that one. So let's to get to this morning.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, absolutely, yes, all.
Speaker 5: Right, So let's start with that inflation data.
Speaker 1: Let's put the numbers up on the screen so you guys can see coming in higher than expected. This is per Heather Long from the Washington Post. She's got some charts there on the screen you can see as well. So she says inflation in March came in at zero point four percent for the month. That is an annual rate of three point five percent.
Speaker 5: In the past year.
Speaker 1: The forecast was four point three percent and three point four percent, respectively, so you can see higher on both of those metrics. She goes on to say that gas and rent accounted for over half of the March increase. Higher gas price and high rent are keeping inflation above three percent. She had another tweet where she broke down the specific increases in a variety of categories that were really noteworthy, and some of these are just extraordinary. So car insurance up twenty two percent in the past year. I really have no idea what the hell is going on there, Car repair up twelve percent, baby formula up ten percent, veterinarian bills up ten percent, Rent up five point nine percent.
Speaker 5: Obviously that really hurts.
Speaker 1: Electricity up five percent, restaurants up four point two percent, gas up one point three percent, and home health care for the elderly stored fourteen point two percent in the past year, the largest increase that we have ever seen in that category. So you clearly have a number of areas, in particular, some that are most near and dear to Americans in terms of their pocketbooks that continue to spike emily. There's you know, a lot of fallout from this, obviously the political fallout, we'll get to that in a minute, but it also raises a lot of questions about what the Fed is going to do next. There was, you know, the feed is stopped increasing interest rates. There was a thought, oh, maybe next time they meet they may actually cut interest rates. That's something that people who especially are looking to buy homes are really hoping for because the mortgage interest rates make home buying even more unaffordable than it would otherwise be. But that is effectively off the table now with this hotter than expected inflation report.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that is a really good, good point. And I think another thing to look at here is that as the Biden administration, I know we're going to get to Biden's comments in just a second, they say inflation is coming down. The juxtaposition of these numbers with that, The important metric to look at is in some of those numbers that Crystal just pointed out, it's not even that the rate of inflation is slowing. And that's what we saw in the top line numbers too, And that's what the Biden administration has pointed to in some respects saying the rate of inflation has slowed year every year, month over month, and that's what's really been able to they've been able to use it as somewhat of a tool. That's not what we're looking at here, and that's basically all they have. Whenever they get a number like that, it's basically all they have. But when you're looking at fourteen percent increases in rent or five point nine percent increases in rent, yeah, I mean that is devastating. It's devastating, and people feel it, and there's no way you can talk around it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we know at this point, you know, at the beginning of the inflationary cycle, h the idea that corporate profits and basically profiteering was contributing to this was really dismissed as this fringe idea the further we got along, and that wasn't the only thing that was going on, but that was actually a significant chunk of it was corporation seeing and they would admit this on earnings call, Hey, we can get away with raising our prices. So of course we're going to raise our private prices because we want to hire a profit margin. That trend has continued. There have been increased reports about how that is at this point contributing actually a majority of the inflation across a variety of categories. And we've also covered here specifically with regard to rent, that there is a nationwide epidemic of basically rent collusion, where they're using these algorithmic programs to squeeze every penny that they possibly can out of renters and colluding amongst a lot of large landlords in order.
Speaker 3: To do so.
Speaker 1: There's actually legal action being taken against this in both federal and state courts.
Speaker 5: So you know there are supply chain issues.
Speaker 1: Each of these categories has their own specific story, but corporate profiteering is a big part of this, which was basically put off the table to talk about for a long time. Joe Biden has started to talk a little bit about the corporate part of this, but has done basically nothing about it. As you mentioned, he was asked yesterday about these inflation numbers.
Speaker 5: Let's take a listen to his response.
Speaker 6: Thank you, mister president. Last month, you predicted the Federal Reserve would cut interest rates thanks to falling inflation, but today data showed that inflation rose more than expected. For the third straight month. So how concerned are you about the fight against inflation stalling and do you stand by your prediction for a ray cut.
Speaker 7: Well, I do stand by my prediction that before the year is out to be a rake cut, there's may delayed a month or so. I'm not sure that we don't know what the Fed is going to do for certain, but look, we have dramatically reduced inflation from nine percent now so close to three percent. We're in a situation where we're better situated than we were when we took office, where we're inflation with skyrocketing and we have a plan.
Speaker 8: To deal with it.
Speaker 7: Whereas the opposition, my opposition talks about two things. They just want to cut taxes for the wealthy and raise taxes on other people. And so I think they're they have no plan. Our plan is one I think is still sustainable.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is obviously one of the biggest political risks for the Biden campaign. He's got a number of political problems ahead of him. Don't get me wrong, his age being one of them, his unconditional support for Israel being another one of them. But consistently voter say the economy, inflation even as consumer sentiment has improved a little bit and people's sense of the economy has improved a little bit, and we did get a really good jobs report last week, and unemployment is low. I mean, there are some things that they can point to, but this is just a major source spot. I saw numbers last week, Emily, the same groceries, for the same basket of groceries this year over last year, you have to spend four hundred and forty five dollars more a month.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's astronomical.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the amount of money that represents for ordinary people is huge.
Speaker 5: That is huge.
Speaker 3: It's huge.
Speaker 4: And I continue to think the strategy of acting as though you know your eyes are lying to your your bank account is lying to I think that is a really, really big error for the Biden campaign. And it doesn't mean that like from a political strategy perspective, where you're spinning and you know you're doing the usual bs. I'm not saying Biden should walk out and take credit for it, though I would give him a lot of the blame, But I'm not saying that's what he has to do. He should, though, empathize with people because people are really hurting and it has happened, It has transpired under his watch. And there's a whole lot more to this than people just not remembering how good they have it under Joe Biden. Are not understanding? Yeah, And that continues to be the line from the White House. Why aren't you reading Paul Krugman? Why aren't you accepting what Paul Krugman says about the economy. It's like, actually, why aren't you accepting what's happening to normal people when they go to get their groceries.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's exactly right.
Speaker 1: And that was really underscored by a noteworthy moment from a top Biden surrogate, an ally, Jim Clyverd. He was on MSNBC, and his whole argument was very similar to what you're saying. It's like people just don't understand how great things are. And he's going on and on all that we brought inflation down and MSNBC lear has to break into his comments with a CNBC reporter with these numbers on inflation being hotter than expected just coming across at that moment.
Speaker 5: So let's take a look at that awkward exchange.
Speaker 8: It's an inflation today, it's about forty percent of what it was when Joe Biden took office, and so the inflation rates are down and people's incomes are up, not what they may here on social media. One of the focused group people talked about social media and the misrepresentation, disinformation. All of those things are out there, and that's the battle that we have to fight, and we've got to do a better job of fighting it more effectively.
Speaker 3: So I'll validate that.
Speaker 9: I think the disinformation out there is distorting the entire process. I think social media doesn't help, but there's also a lack of validation that these voters feel. And I'm going to bring in Ander Ross Sorkin right now because we've just got breaking news. The consumer price index increased at a faster than expected pace last month, a signal that inflation remains stubborn ley high.
Speaker 1: And this has been their line, blaming disinformation for what people are able to experience in their own lives. I mean, four hundred and forty five dollars more per month for your groceries we had. Now we have actually in some instances wages surpassing the inflation rate, but you may have already been behind from previous inflation in the past. That your wages didn't catch up to not to mention, the course of the Biden administration, we've seen the social safety net that was erected during the COVID era, all of that being stripped away, So the previous supports you had, and not only in terms of direct checks, also in terms of child tax credit other programs that's gone. Inflation remains high, and they're blaming disinformation for people not understanding what they're experiencing in their own lives.
Speaker 3: And this seems to be the strategy that they're sticking with.
Speaker 4: I mean, we're like a couple of months into the strategy now, and it's I mean you can see it in real time fail for Clyburn on Mourning Joe on Morning Joe of all places, where inflation to them basically means nothing. It means like maybe their intern gets them, you know, a medium coffee instead of a large coffee, but not even that, yeah, you know, when they go run out to get their coffee. So I mean, it's just ridiculous and the problem is going to be Also, they continue to deflect to like different Trump culture wars things. I don't mean culture were in terms of abortion, but like these questions of like Donald Trump is just you guys forget how bad he is, Like the Trump amnesia line. They try to build into this inflation thing. You don't remember how bad the economy was under Donald Trump, et cetera, et cetera, don't remember how bad it was with COVID. The View was talking a couple of weeks ago about how Anna Navarro just she felt like she couldn't even play words with friends. She was constantly so stressed out during the Trump administration. She really sad that she's back to playing words with friends now, so that's good news.
Speaker 1: But they keep Americans and a Navarro can play for words with friends, but.
Speaker 3: It's like it's their crutch.
Speaker 4: It's their crutches, like Donald Trump was horrible, so they don't have to talk in substantive terms about the economy. They don't understand that it's actually probably less risky for them to empathize with people.
Speaker 3: It's a struggling right now.
Speaker 5: That's right, And there's a way you could approach this.
Speaker 1: I don't know that Joe Biden is personally capable of this, but there's plenty of evidence out there. Like I said that a significant chunk of this pain and this inflation is directly because of price gouging and corporate profiteering. So when you get a report like this, don't try to dismiss it, don't try to underplay it. Don't try to convince people that their lives are different than their lives actually are. Come out hot with rage at the corporations who are jacking up prices, who are making fat profits of many of these companies making the biggest profit margins they've ever made before. Come out hot and filled with righteous anger at those individuals and at those corporations that are causing pain for American consumers. And you know what, it's not just theater because the reality of it is the presidential bully pulpit does still mean something. When Joe Biden did a little bit of conversation about meat packing plants and the way that they were price gouging, it actually had an impact. You could see the way that they altered their behavior in real time because they felt that scrutiny from a presidential level. And they know, hey, this guy's got a lot of power. He could mess with us here, you know, from an anti trust perspective. In other ways, yeah, and it's bad publicity and so and corporations are very like skittish about that sort of scrutiny, and so they actually improved what they were doing and it had an impact. But instead you see this, you know, instinct constantly to gaslight and insists that the problem is actually just the media is not explaining to you or.
Speaker 5: Were too dumb to understand, and what the reality of the economy is.
Speaker 1: No, the economy is, you know, it's complex for some people. Sure, if you're an older person who has a home and a lot of savings, you're probably doing okay, even though you know for you inflation is a problem too. If you're a younger person, you're trying to get a home that is wildly out of reach, You've got student debt hanging over your head. You've got some real problems here. And it's not imaginary, and it's not because you don't understand what's going on. Something Sager and I've been talking about here is there's this curious inversion and at least some of the polling where older Americans who had been more consistently Republican, Joe Biden is actually doing a bit better with them, and younger Americans he's falling off with now. Part of that I think is Israel Gaza, no doubt, but that doesn't explain Trump picking up support there. And I do think that the difference in the experience of the economy for the young versus the older generations is a big part of that story of what's going on in some of the polling that's come out.
Speaker 4: And my best guess as to why he's not addressing the price gouging as much as he could be just from your political standpoint, is that it broaches this issue of the legislation.
Speaker 3: He's passed the.
Speaker 4: Super high spending and he can defect. But that's what's interesting, because he did that in big ribbon cutting ceremonies with these bills.
Speaker 3: He's very proud of these bills.
Speaker 4: It's like this is what he wants to run on, but he's afraid to talk about them. It's a total catch twenty two and it's an unfortunate situation for him because he's afraid to talk about to validate that inflation is not going down.
Speaker 3: What did he say, dramatically decreased?
Speaker 4: He's afraid to talk about that instead of just coming out and saying I passed necessary spending, which I don't agree with but he could certainly agree with that. Say, I passed necessary spending and then corporations jumped on the bandwagon and are trying to take advantage of us trying to repair the country. But they don't even want to talk about that because they don't want to validate that people are really still feeling inflation.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think the fact too, that analysis about corporate profiteering came from the left just constant. Like anything that left says or argues, the mainstream of the Democratic Party feels.
Speaker 5: The need to be against other way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean really, since like the Clinton era, that is their natural instinct. That is certainly Joe Biden's natural instinct. And there's more indications now there's an interview I don't know if you saw this recently with Ron Klain, who is Biden's original chief of staff, when you were getting some more progressive things out of this administration before he left, and one of the things he was saying him is, like Jesus Biden loves talking about these frickin' bridges, But you know what, people aren't like experiencing a bridge at.
Speaker 3: The grocery store.
Speaker 1: They are experiencing their grocery prices being higher than they used to be, so we need to focus a bit more on that. And he is absolutely he is absolutely correct, And I don't think it's a mistake that since Klaan left, not that things were perfect when he was there, but there's really no affirmative economic agenda whatsoever. It's more of just like a hope and a prayer that things are getting better and will continue to get better, which you know evidence by this report. Hope is not a strategy. Let's put this next piece up on the screen from Heather Long. I mentioned this before, but I really need to do some more digging or we need to get an expert on to explain to me what is going on here, because this car insurance and car repair spike is really wild. She points out over ninety percent of US households own a car. Vehicle insurance is up twenty two point two percent in the past year. That's the largest jump since nineteen seventy six. Vehicle repair is up eleven.
Speaker 5: Point six percent.
Speaker 1: One theory I saw floated Emily, but I don't know if this is you know, this has backing or not, but it sounds kind of logical.
Speaker 5: Is during COVID. People were driving a lot less.
Speaker 1: There was a kind of a bonus on car insurance came down because it was, you know, less risky car insurance ensures. We're having to put out less money because people were just driving less. Presumably there's a similar dynamic going on with repairs. Because people were driving less, there were less auto repairs.
Speaker 5: So now that you have.
Speaker 1: A spike in driving, a spike in auto repair, perhaps that's what's driving this huge jump. But that is a massive expense for a lot of American households. Ninety percent of him, as she points out, own a car. So this is really matters.
Speaker 4: Yeah, ninety percent of American households own a car. But it's always worth remembering actually that journalists are disproportionately clustered in New York City and Washington, d C. And listen, I didn't have a car for a really long time here, so it used public transit. I walked, And that's similar to a lot of journalists. So this is a big blind spot for the media. It always has been gas prices. Some journalists do have cars. Many journalists do have cars, but a lot of them actually just don't. Even these are not things that even register for them because they're taking the subway or they're walking and they're you know, I think I think that's why we're sitting here, Crystal looking at these huge spikes and being like, wait what, Because if there were more media attention paid to this over the course of the last couple of years, I think we would all have a better understanding of what was going on. But it's always been a blind spot for the press.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no doubt about it.
Speaker 1: And also, you know, many of whom want to help the Biden administration and don't want to talk about this too much and are subject to this same you know, shaming over quote unquote disinformation around the economy. So let's put this last piece up on the screen from the New York Times. Their headline, inflation was hotter than expected in March, unwelcome news for the Fed. They dig into this prospect I mentioned earlier. You know, there was there's all these indicators of like, oh, what does Wall Street think that the Fed is going to do? And Wall Street was saying there was a decent chance you were going to get a rate cut here coming up.
Speaker 5: That is basically off the table.
Speaker 1: Now, you know, it is most likely that rates will hold steady. I saw Larry Summers out there for what e's worth saying, you know, we have to now expect that it's possible we could even see go back to rate increases. This has a lot of political implications, although it's kind of you know, it's a dual edged sword. So on the one hand, when you get rate cuts, you get you can have a hotter economy. You also have lower mortgage interest rates, which come you know, really follow very closely what the Fed is doing. So those are good things. On the other hand, it can contribute to inflation. So that's the argument in favor of the continued you know, trajectory or increasing the rates. So you know, and if this comes into the fall and the Fed is changing rates, that can have also political implication, something that Donald Trump is keenly aware of and it's already been discussing. So in any case, the fact that this inflation report came in hotter than expected, probably changing the Fed's plans and definitely taking a rate cut off the table for the for now.
Speaker 4: And puncturing the narrative bubble of a lot of experts over the last several months. Not sure that will come as a surprise to anybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true, though there was a lot of like, oh, we did it soft.
Speaker 5: Landing, and you know, no.
Speaker 3: Mission that were accomplished.
Speaker 1: There was a lot of mission accomplished going on in the mainstream discourse, and I think this is a real reality check moment for them. At the same time, there is an incredible scandal unfolding at the Bureau of Labor and Statistics or here eyes glaze over. It has to do with non public secret information being released to a group of what they described as super users, who of course are all on Wall Street in position to make millions of dollars based on this non public information. Let's go and put this up on the screen. This is for the New York Times. A lot of other outlets reporting on this as well. They say new questions on how a key agency shared inflation data.
Speaker 5: I think that's to put.
Speaker 1: It pretty mildly, a government economists had regular contact with quote super users in finance record show at a time when such information keenly interests investors, keenly interest them. Let me go ahead and read a little bit of this report for you. So this all started back in February. There was an email that was sent to a group of users explaining how a methodological tweet could have contributed to an unexpected jump in housing costs in the Consumer Price Index, and it was addressed to quote super users circulated rapidly around Wall Street. Journalists got their hands on this and said, wait a second, what the hell is going on here?
Speaker 5: Is there some official list of.
Speaker 1: Super users who are being clued in on all of this information? And the bls, No, no, no, it's just a one off. This is not normal procedure. Don't worry about it. Well, now, we had a Freedom of Information Act request that showed that the agency, or at least that economist who sent the original email, was in regular contact with users in the finance industry. And what you can see here is one of those exchangers exchanges where a super user said, Hey, would it be possible to be on the super user email list? The employee replies, yes, I can actually do the list. Reporters' efforts to reach the employees identified the Bureau confirmed were unsuccessful. They described this individual as a relatively low ranking but long time official within the Bureau of Labor Statistics Standard statistics.
Speaker 5: I'm confusing myself. Statistics dahm, right about that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So anyway, the fact that you have people in finance emailing this person.
Speaker 5: Like, hey, can I get on that cool list?
Speaker 1: Indicates this was not a one off, and they got their hands on additional emails, some of which did, in fact contain significant non public information. Now this is like some really wonky stuff about oh, we're making this methodological change and how we can calculate that housing inflation, et cetera.
Speaker 5: But if this is what you do, and.
Speaker 1: You're trading potentially one hundreds of millions of dollars based on this information, and what's going to do to the markets which you know, by the way, when this inflation data came out yesterday, a huge market crash. So if you have a heads up that that's the sort of thing that's coming, you can imagine the kind of bank that you can make off of that. It is an extraordinary scandal. And the last thing I'll say here is, you know, let me give you a sense of who some of the recipients on this were. Apparently the names were redacted, but their employers were not, so you're able to get a sense of, all, right, well, who are these quote unquotes super users. They say that many of the recipients appear to have been in house economists at large investment banks like Barclay's, Nomora and BNP Paribas. Others work for private research firms which sell their analysis to investors. Some recipients appear to have been analysts at large hedge funds such as Millennium Capital Partners.
Speaker 5: Revan Howard, I don't know who these.
Speaker 1: People are in Citadel, which trade directly on their research, and at least one case, emails to super users appear to shared methodological details that were.
Speaker 5: Not yet public. So it's exactly who you expect.
Speaker 1: It's these in house economists, it's people at these firms that sell their research so other rich people can benefit from this inside information, and it's firms that can directly trade on this research as well.
Speaker 5: So it's it's.
Speaker 1: Honestly, it's pretty extraordinary, and frankly, based on the details that came out here, you know, the agency is not really commenting at this point, but this supposedly low level employee seems to have copied, you know, a large distribution list within the BLS. So the suggestion is he certainly didn't think he was doing anything wrong. And is very likely this was sort of you know, accepted or even authorized and directed from higher level officials who you know, likely knew what was going on. I seriously, I seriously doubt it was just one employee freelancing on this thing.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, And a couple of points.
Speaker 4: One The New York Times actually broke a lot of the story open because of Foya. They filed Foyer requests. I got this like vast scope of what had been going on. And all you need to know basically is that in the Time story, it says one of the BLS employees, and this is the Times rights. The BLS had announced the change in a news release in early January, but did not publish details about it on its website until mid February, two weeks after the email from the employee. One of the BLS employees said quote, it wasn't appropriate to be sharing information that.
Speaker 3: Wasn't public and hadn't been fully vetted.
Speaker 4: So if the BLS is saying that it wasn't and was not appropriate to be sharing that information, just internalize that for a moment, because that tells you what you need to know. The BLS says this is not appropriate. There you go right, it's a high stakes not I shouldn't say error because it doesn't sound like it was an error. It sounds like it was systematic, so not appropriate and on that scale. And those are the two big takeaways I think from the story that I would hope continues to reverberate, because there's a lot more to know about exactly who was benefiting.
Speaker 1: I'm surprised this isn't a bigger story, to be honest with you, because it also raises a lot of questions about like, Okay, well, if this was just what they were doing at BLAT, what other kind of non public information is Wall Street and their wealthy clients?
Speaker 5: What are they benefiting from?
Speaker 1: You know, it contributes obviously to not only the sense but the reality that there's one game being played among the wealthy and another one being played among everyone else. Just to give you a sense of the tone of these emails, that one that I mentioned and that you know definitely contain non public information, they say. On January thirty one, this employee send an email to his super users describing coming changes to the way the agency calculates use car prices. At the time, a crucial issue for inflation watchers The email included a three page document providing detailed answers to questions about the change and a spreadsheet showing how they would affect calculations. Quote, thank you all for your very difficult, challenging, and thoughtful questions, the email said, it is your questions that help us flesh out all the potential problems. So do you really think this employee was just on his own or her own freelancing? And compiling this three page document with the you know frequently asked questions and a spreadsheet showing how they affect calculations and telling these super users, Hey, thank you. We're taking in your input. We really appreciate it. We really appreciate it. You really think this person was just freelancing? It's going to be interesting to see how this agency handles this situation. If they just escape this scapegoat this one employees, Ah, he was just he or she was just freelancing, We had nothing to do with it. Or if there are larger recriminations and we really come to understand how widespread this communication was and whether this was the only instance, you know, this particular list of super users in this type of information, or if there's way more sharing of inside information than we have an understanding of at this point.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, absolutely.
Speaker 4: And the other thing at the end of the story that is noted is they say, you know, the after years of remaining loan stable, inflation started to take off in twenty twenty one and it has remained a major newstry ever since because it influences federal reserve policy. Is a major driver of market training. Well, yeah, no kidding. And on top of that, I think you put it really well in the beginning of this segment, Crystal, where you talked about the potential scale of this. It's not just one person talking to you know, ten different people sharing a document with ten different people. It is then the decision that those ten different people make at all of their places, and it just can have a ripple effect throughout literally the entire economy. As that paragraph highlights, it is a major driver of market trading. So you have this employee engaging in long back and forth one on one. He says, I can't share some of this data. But that's not a benefit that everyone gets obviously, So it's a I agree with you, this should be a much bigger story.
Speaker 1: So the economy a big problem for Joe Biden. But Donald Trump has some problems of his own.
Speaker 4: Emily, Donald Trump, you will be shocked to learn, has some problems of his own. Now, Donald Trump was in Atlanta yesterday. He bought some thirty milk chicks for people at a Chick fil A?
Speaker 3: Did you see that?
Speaker 5: I did see that. Do we know flavors? Do we have any any intel there?
Speaker 4: Not that I'm aware of, but will certainly update everyone.
Speaker 1: The obvious choice, go to choice at Chick fil A.
Speaker 3: The frosted lemonade Chick fil A is incredible.
Speaker 5: Die I'm a fan of the diet frosted lemonade.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, yes it is.
Speaker 5: Do you people still get canceled on the left for going to Chick fil A?
Speaker 3: By the way, I was gonna sy I think you might.
Speaker 5: Die. Frost the lemonade is amazing.
Speaker 3: There you go, cancel Crystal hashtay. Let's get it trending.
Speaker 4: But dontap was in Atlanta yesterday and he was doing some back and forth with reporters actually after he had touched down in Atlanta, And so let's actually just roll this clip of Donald Trump talking about the Arizona Supreme Court abortion ruling that thrust their abortion law basically an entire state of Arizona back to eighteen sixty four.
Speaker 3: And I covered this yesterday, but you didn't mishear me.
Speaker 4: Eighteen sixty four is where the Arizona Supreme Court said the law now stands with the abortion basically the abortion policy that when Arizona was a territory passed in eighteen sixty four. Everyone's pretty familiar with the story by now. But likely that'll be overturned in November. Not overturned, I shouldn't say that sounds like a legal term, but the people of Arizona will likely overturn that November. There's a bale initiative underway right now to enshrine abortion rights into the constitution. So Trump was asked about it. Here's what he had to say.
Speaker 6: Arizona go too hard.
Speaker 10: And Arizona go too more.
Speaker 11: Yeah, they did, and that'll be straightened out.
Speaker 10: And as you know, it's all about the states rights. I'll be straightened out.
Speaker 3: And I'm sure that the governor and everybody else are going to bring it back into.
Speaker 11: Reason and that'll be taking care of I think very quickly.
Speaker 10: What do you think about Florida? Fort Hard is probably maybe going to change. Also, see it's all of what it's the will of the people. This is what I've been saying. It's a perfect system.
Speaker 4: So for fifty two years people have wanted to end road me a way to get it back to the states.
Speaker 10: We did that.
Speaker 3: It was an incredible thing, an incredible achievement.
Speaker 4: We did that, and now the states have it, and the states are putting out what they want.
Speaker 10: It's the will of the people.
Speaker 12: So Florida is probably going to change, Arizona's going to definitely change.
Speaker 10: Everybody wants that to happen.
Speaker 3: And you're getting the will.
Speaker 13: Of the people.
Speaker 10: It's been pretty amazing.
Speaker 5: It's pretty amazing, he said, it's pretty amazing.
Speaker 4: He said it's the perfect system, which I think some people in California would disagree with because they're basically ruled by referendum. If the people has some interesting effects in California. But that's his line and he's sticking with it. It's actually funny because he said on Monday, you put out a big statement that had a huge ripple effect throughout the conservative movement into abortion movement, saying this all needs to be left to the states. Essentially after the fall of Row, you know, Trump basically is like, I gave you guys the end of row, so we're just going to kick it back to the states now. And so he actually this Arizona ruling gave him an opportunity to try out that campaign strategy, that messaging strategy, and he's sticking with it.
Speaker 3: Crystal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean this was very inconvenient for him and for all Republicans, frankly, but especially for him because, like you said, he just did this whole thing of like, all is this beautiful democracy, will the people's states rights? And then Arizona's like, how about in our state we ban it completely in a way that would be acceptable to about five percent of the population who hold this position.
Speaker 5: So his whole leave it up.
Speaker 1: To the states thing kind of immediately undermined by the reality of this decision in Arizona. You know, I also think listen, he's he realizes abortion is a big problem. Yes, very clearly. Absolutely. I don't think there's really anything he can do about it, though, no matter where he tries to message himself, for what words he put, whatever he does, because the bottom line is he's responsible for Roe versus Wad being overturned. That's the bottom line, he's celebrated. Even in those comments, he was celebrating that, so you know his latest effort here can put this up on the screen. From CNN, he was asked, I think in that shame exchange, would he sign a federal abortion ban?
Speaker 5: He said, no, we don't have any more details about.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, what if it was fifteen weeks, whatever, it was six weeks or is it just if it's.
Speaker 5: A blanket abortion ban, would he not sign it?
Speaker 1: There's also other questions, Emily, as you know, probably better than I do, some of the people who would potentially be involved in this administration, they're looking at the Compstack Act and enforcing that, which would be a de facto abortion ban without actually having anything having to be signed or passed through Congress.
Speaker 5: So what about that? So it doesn't really answer.
Speaker 1: A lot of questions about the sort of these sort of like nuanced in details, but it does show you politically he's trying to run as far away from this as he possibly can. But again, I mean, the Biden administration has already the Biden campaign has already put out a very powerful and emotional ad that Zager and I played on Tuesday on this issue. Trump has continued to you know, celebrate the fact that he was the guy that got Roe versus Wade overturned and frankly, you know, his whole leave it up to the states thing. It really smacks of political opportunism and pandering because it's not a moral position. Like if you actually are pro life, and you you genuinely are, and you think abortion is murder, you're not going to be like, oh, but it's cool if it happens in California.
Speaker 4: Like Californians decide, right, Yeah, No, it doesn't make a lot of sense. Although so I heard Nancy Mace I talked about this yesterday on NPR kind of going with the strategy in these conversations with MPR and talking about how most Americans find themselves at this point of agreement in the second trimester.
Speaker 3: So most Americans are.
Speaker 4: Not on board with the full Democratic policy prescription, which is basically like row allowed for states to make their own decisions about what happened in the third trimester. And Nancy Mace and a lot of Republicans have said the best way for the GOPED a message the abortion issue is to talk about that and then talk about you know, sort of kicking it to the states after we find that point of consensus. People have tried the fifteen week strategy that was Lindsay Graham's big idea. People have tried all of these different ways of talking about it since Roe, and nothing is working.
Speaker 3: Nothing is working.
Speaker 4: So that's where Trump came out and tried to going into the summer, neutralize the question of abortion by saying, this is my position, it's now up to the people. Interestingly enough, the Arizona Supreme Court had a similar point. They said this should be decided not by the court, but by the legislature and the people of Arizona, which is why they allowed the eighteen sixty fourth thing to go into effect. And the people of Arizona are going to make a decision. And it's not necessarily ironic, but that being on the ballot in November. Good luck to carry Lake and Donald Trump in November.
Speaker 3: If that's on the.
Speaker 4: Ballot in Arizona, it could be on the ballot in a lot of other states too, and some of which are swing states.
Speaker 5: It's all about in Florida as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wonder what you make of that, because listen, on the one handed, Florida's trend to the right seems pretty clear.
Speaker 5: How much does Santus want to buy, like sixteen points or something.
Speaker 1: I think Trump wanted by four if memory serves thereabouts, which is not like a crazy margin. It's not a massive mart And especially if you believe the polling, which I'm not sure if I do or not, but if you believe the polling that shows Joe Biden actually doing pretty well among older residents. Florida famously in Arizona two has a lot of older residents. It's I'm not saying Florida will be in play, but it's.
Speaker 5: Not crazy to me at this point.
Speaker 1: Since you have the abortion ballat initiative, you have a weed ballad initiative, you have you know, this older population which seems to be more friendly to Joe Biden than any other, you know, age demographic group that Florida could possibly be put back in play really kind of solely.
Speaker 5: Based on this one issue. It's also wild.
Speaker 1: I know you and Ryan did a great job covering this yesterday, but watching Republicans like Kerry Lake, who previously all is a great, great law that's on the books. We already got a great law in the books talking about this eighteen sixty four thing. And then when the court actually rules the way she claimed she wanted them to rule, she's running away as far and as fast as she possibly can. And you know, it was one thing when this was all hypothetical, Yeah, exactly. It was one thing when you could talk about fetal personhood and heartbeat bills and whatever, when you weren't having court saying okay, well, if that's the law, then there's no IVF anymore. It was one thing when it was theoretical. Now that it's very real, and public opinion has really shifted. And we covered this together that since Roe versus Weight was overturned, it wasn't like there was one shift and that was it. People have continued to move to the pro choice position, breaking what has been a multi decades long fifty to fifty.
Speaker 5: Split on the issue.
Speaker 1: And I just don't think that there is really any messaging fixed for this because there's a big.
Speaker 5: Reality problem right now.
Speaker 1: And I know that the advice that the RNC gives and Nancy Mace was talking about, Donald Trump has tried to use as well as like, okay, we'll talk about the third trimester, because that's where Democrats are on the shakiest ground. That made a lot of sense when Roe was in place, because all of the battleground over abortion legislation was about the third trimester, because that was you know, that was effectively what Roe determined.
Speaker 5: Well, that's not the battleground anymore.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 1: The battleground is over these near complete bands. It's over things like IVF even stem cells, things like that being put back on the table in this real flashback to the early two thousands kind of debate. And I think the best Republicans can hope for is that this kind of you know, fades into the background that people are talking about it as much. But as long as you have these ballot initiatives and you have continued court decisions like what just happened in Arizona, good luck with that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, there's going to have to be a massive shift in public opinion and the cultural sort of position on abortion if Republicans want to push the issue forward without losing and suffering massive losses.
Speaker 3: Biden knows this.
Speaker 4: So Biden was also asked about the Arizona ruling yesterday at the White House.
Speaker 3: Let's rule this, this is B three on.
Speaker 10: The issue of abortion service factory. What do you say to the people of Arizona.
Speaker 6: Right now, we're witnessing a law going place that dates back to the Civil warrior.
Speaker 7: Elect me, I'm in the twenty twentieth century, twenty first century. Not back then you weren't even a state. I find thank you all very much.
Speaker 10: So.
Speaker 4: The senns you're hearing, the dulcet tones of White House reporters shouting at the top of their lungs is at Joe Biden as he leaves the podium and.
Speaker 5: Beautifully slowly shuffles away.
Speaker 4: We may have an entry for best bidens, questionably of all time there when he said, elect me, I'm in the twentieth century.
Speaker 3: I guess that's incredible.
Speaker 1: Better than the nineteenth century, which is but the Republicans are in that is the kind of choice that we're faced with in this election. But didn't exactly stick the landing there. But obviously I mean the fact that it's in eighteen sixty four law.
Speaker 5: Yes, it is very it is very potent.
Speaker 1: And I'm reminded very much of the ad that was run in the Kentucky governor's race a young woman who was raped to saying, listen, Daniel Cameron, the Republican if he's governor, I'd be forced to carry my I think it was her stepfather who raped hers baby to term. This was incredibly potent in that race, which you know, really shifted towards Andy Basheer, the Democrat it was able to get reelected, wasn't really even close at the end of the day, and Kentucky much more conservative on this issue than the majority of the country. You know, it was wild for me, having lived in Kentucky previously and being like a little bit obsessed with their politics to see because Democrats have been getting killed in Kentucky for years now on abortion. You know, this used to be a solid Democratic state for years and years and years. Was one of the last to sort of realign with the Southern realignment. Appalachia, West Virginia, Kentucky where like the last two states to really realign there and still at the state level elect Democrats, as you can see with with Andy Basheer, But it was cultural issues that killed Democrats in that state. So to see like this the way the script flipped and suddenly it was Democrats who were wanting to talk about abortion. Previously, Republicans were running all their ads on abortion this was the thing they wanted to talk about the most, and to have that flip on a dime. The Republicans are trying to avoid the issue as much as possible, Democrats are trying to run on the issue as much as possible and winning on.
Speaker 5: Abortion in the state of Kentucky. That was wild to me.
Speaker 1: And obviously, you know, there are tons of extremely just heart wrenching, emotional stories out there that are all the result of Row versus Way being overturned. And you can bet you know Joe Biden's got a lot of other issues, this is the.
Speaker 5: One area where the more.
Speaker 1: This is being talked about, no matter how Republicans try to message, the stronger the Biden campaign's hand is here. I mean, I sort of feel like it's sort of the reverse of immigration. Is that issue for Republicans, which no matter what Joe Biden says, as much as he's like, I'm just like them, I'm just as you know, crol and hardlism.
Speaker 5: I want to do what Trump wants to do.
Speaker 1: It's a bad issue for them and there's really nothing they can do about it at this point without really shifting the cultural narrative about it, and the media narrative about it in all of those things in ways that I personally support. But the more you're talking about that issue, the more you're basically in quicksand for the Democratic Party at this point, it's the same for Republicans. The best they can do is just hope that it's not a big topic a conversation.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely, there's really nothing they can do. I agree with that completely.
Speaker 4: And there's been a flurry of stories just in the last couple of days about both the Trump campaign and the Biden campaign, because again, we're heading into summer now, we're heading into convention season. The parties are both I know, it's insane, both very busy planning for a summer of campaigning. And I'm actually really excited to put this next element up on the screen. This is before it really is hilarious, Crystal.
Speaker 3: There's a two different stories here.
Speaker 4: One is an Associated Press report on the Trump campaign and the Biden campaign, and some people were looking at it and saying, these are huge takeaways. Less than five staffers in each battleground state for Trump, they can't afford to hire staff until the summer, and GP staffers are trashing the twenty twenty four campaign.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, over at.
Speaker 4: Vanity Fair, Gabriel Sherman tweeted his own story out where he said, for the May issue, I report on Trump's weirdly competent and savvy twenty twenty four campaign.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and inside the terrifyingly competent Trump twenty twenty four campaign.
Speaker 4: So it's unclear as to whether Trump is just extremely competent or so competent he's incompetent.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I just don't know what to make of it.
Speaker 1: Actually, do you have any insights into what is reality here? Because as I was reading the piece that said, okay, they only have, it is kind of wild that you're this close to the conventions and everything ramping up, you only have like five staffers in battleground states. Meanwhile, they contrast the Biden ministry, the Biden campaign is doing a much more you know, traditional Okay.
Speaker 5: We've got our offices open, we've.
Speaker 1: Got our big staff on the ground, We're ready to do our mail and balloting push and all that stuff. On the other hand, when they ran in twenty twenty, the Trump campaign spent way too much money early and then they were screwed down the stretch.
Speaker 5: I think in Georgia.
Speaker 1: They only they spent a tiny amount of money on advertising because they just didn't have it. What's his name, Brad Parscal's not his name. He was really sort of thrown under the bus for spending wildly and you know, putting the campaign in really dire streets from a funding perspective, on the way, you know, on the way down the stretch post labor days. So I'm wondering if there wasn't a lesson learned from that of like, we're gonna we're gonna harbor our resources, make sure that we've got everything we can. And then there is a reality of a lot of his money has gone to legal bills. You know, it's also hampered some of his ability to campaign because he's got all these trial dates and court appearances that he has to make as well. So strangely and surprisingly, Biden is actually out campaigning more than Donald Trump, which is certainly not something that I would have predicted.
Speaker 5: So I'm not one hundred percent what to sure what to make of this.
Speaker 1: On the one hand, I also think field programs, sorry, field people out there, are overrated. They don't do all that, especially in a presidential campaign where everybody already knows who the candidates are, they've got their opinions formed, etc.
Speaker 5: On the other hand, I do.
Speaker 1: Think that the mail in ballot initiatives and early voting initiatives that Democrats used in twenty twenty were so significant as compared to the non existent Republican efforts, and like anti Republican efforts, like the fact that they were opposed to.
Speaker 5: Mail in balloting.
Speaker 1: I actually think that factor alone was the game changer. So it kind of depends for me on how I look at this, whether this is actually consequential or not.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I misspoked this as an NBC story. There's another AP story we're about to talk about. But in this NBC news story, there's a source quoted saying this is like comparing a Maserati to a Honda twenty twenty head staff and the bodies in place to turn out the vote. This current iteration is starting from ground zero and we're seven months out from the election. Meanwhile, the Gabriel Sherman piece in Vanity Fair is talking about how Donald Trump is surrounding himself with ultra loyalists. Now he's sort of learned the lesson of twenty sixteen and twenty twenty. By the way, twenty sixteen is a great example of your point about field operations. Asked Hillary Clinton, how that sort of traditional competence stump for her?
Speaker 3: I guess she's won the popular vote, but that's you know, you're see one president.
Speaker 4: Well, you know she's the rightful president if it weren't from leadmir Putiny. So anyway, all that is to say, this is a jexposition of a couple different things. On the one hand, you have a campaign that may be struggling to a wreck to that kind of infrastructure.
Speaker 3: On the other hand, you have.
Speaker 4: A campaign that is at least getting Gabe Sherman to believe it's so competent, because shockingly competent in fact, because Donald Trump is, it's not leaking. So like they would point to the crazies, like I shouldn't even say crazy so much as like the eccentric people that.
Speaker 3: Were in his first campaigns.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and just said they leaked all the time, and Trump would pit them against each other in ways that intentionally sewed chaos, and that in and of itself was a huge distraction. But now he's just laser focused on the job at hand. Doesn't matter though to your point, Crystal, if you also have to pay huge legal bills that are going to take away, no matter what, from his ability to campaign on the ground. That's why he's not doing so many rallies because they're stupid expensive.
Speaker 3: So there are real challenges for him.
Speaker 4: Being around the country in different courtrooms is going to be a real challenge for him.
Speaker 3: So it's a couple of different things.
Speaker 4: On the one hand, I do think he learned his lesson of you know, you really need to have He installed loyalists at the RNC, for example, like ousted Ron and McDaniel.
Speaker 3: Here's the AP story. This is the next element.
Speaker 4: As Biden tours the country and visits Swing states, their headline says Trump is fundraising and playing golf. You know, it's still Biden is really out there in a way that I find surprising. They're doing these really carefully, really carefully stage managed.
Speaker 3: Events, and.
Speaker 4: It's based what they can do at this point. But I'm sure Trump would be doing that if he could.
Speaker 1: I think they feel like they have to to try to combat the you know, Biden's too old sense and Trump, meanwhile, I think, probably feels like my people are with me, like and I got other stuff going on, and I need to be raised of money because they are significantly behind. Even with this huge fifty million dollar fundraising event that they just had, they're still significantly behind where the Democrats are. And as mentioned before, some of that is bled out through legal bills as well.
Speaker 5: So the problems for him are real.
Speaker 1: You know, the two dueling narratives there, Both of them serve a sort of like useful liberal narrative. On the one hand, the Gabe Sherman one, the terrifyingly competent, Like even that language that's like the biggest Democratic or left of center or anti Trump fear is oh shit, last time we got lucky because he was incompetent. Yeah, so the worst of what he wanted to do, like stop the steal. I mean, it is true, he wanted to steal the election, and he was basically too incompetent to actually get it done.
Speaker 3: And he wasn't surrounded by yes men.
Speaker 1: And that's right, he didn't have all his loyalists in place. So now this time around, he's got his ducks in a row, he's got all his loyalists in place, he's got a plan. It's going to be different, and the most terrifying version of Trump is going to occupy the White House. So that narrative is served by the Gabe Sherman piece, you know, the other piece of just like haha, will laugh at how this is like bumbling and or they don't even have staffers. They're on money, like he's you know, he's on the ropes, et cetera. Obviously serves a different, useful liberal narrative where the truth lies. It's very hard for me to discern from the outside, but you know, I think we have enough data points at this at this juncture to say it does look like Trump is taking on a little bit of water and that he isn't doing as well as he once was in the polls.
Speaker 5: One indication of this, for what.
Speaker 1: It's worth, is the predicted odds now actually have Joe Biden favored over Trump. We can put this up on the screen, So Biden is at just looking this morning, fifty two cents.
Speaker 5: Trump is at forty six cents.
Speaker 1: So, you know, for again, for what it's worth, the people who are trying to bet based on the outcome of this election, now there's slightly favoring Joe Biden. We've had a number of polls that have shifted in his direction, though it's still very much is a jump ball. And part of why maybe Trump is maybe taking on a little bit of water he can put this up on the screen is his legal troubles. You know, this is the latest headline. His former close executive Alan Weislerberg, who really was like his right hand man in a lot of ways, was just sentenced to five months in jail for lying basically lying on behalf of Donald Trump right, which is no one should go to Rikers. That's a whole other story. But part of what he was I think he pled guilty to here and took this deal, was lying about the size of Trump's the pet condo, the penthouse, which is central to Letitia James civil fraud suit against Trump in New York. So the fact that all these stories Trump's criminal trial on the Stormy Daniels hush money thing, I think is set to start next week.
Speaker 5: It's happening.
Speaker 1: They're still trying to delay it, et cetera, et cetera, but that looks like it's going to start imminently. All of these stories are in the headlines more and more as legal action ramps up, and maybe that's one of the reasons why possibly he is taking on a little bit of water here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Michael Cohene claims Weisselberg has a lot of knowledge of what happened in the hush money case, and jury's selection for that is set to start next week. I think it's yet to be determined what a fact these legal battles have on Donald Trump as we get closer and closer to the election, how voters react to it.
Speaker 3: But you know, we were talking about this earlier in the show, Crystal.
Speaker 4: I know for sure one thing that likely won't be the most effective for the Biden campaign is just leaning on the Trump is insane crutch over and over again when inflation is where it is.
Speaker 1: Maybe, although it worked pretty well them in the midterms, I would have said that too true. But it did work pretty well for them in the midterms, and you know the.
Speaker 3: But with the whole country, I mean in a presidential.
Speaker 1: Maybe I don't know. I genuinely I really don't know. You know, I think abortion is way more potent than I expected it to be. People didn't vote on the economy in the way that I expected them to in the midterms, where Democrats really outperformed. We've had all of these special elections that have gone to Democrats, and it could be the case that when you have a general election and you have a much wider electorate, that some of those trends are less significant. But I genuinely don't know at this point, which is why oftentimes I feel like when we cover politics and the show, we'll do one block that's like inflation is really bad for biding, and the next one's like an abortion and really good drum, and I really bad for Trumps.
Speaker 5: So I don't know. That's where I am. I just genuinely don't know.
Speaker 1: One thing I do know, though, is I am not gonna be sending lunchibules in my kids lunchboxes anymore. So consumer reports out with some new information about lunchables, the popular item packed in many school lunchboxes, including plenty of times in my kids school lunchboxes.
Speaker 5: Now I feel like a terrible mother.
Speaker 1: But also, and this is very notable, was recently approved to be included in cafeteria lunches. So kids are also you know, getting these as school lunch and their schools in many schools across the nation. Let's put this up on the screen with the details. So the headline here is should you pack lunchables for your kids' school lunch? The answer effectively is a resounding no. CRS tests found the lunch kits and some similar ones from Armor, oscar Meyer and others contained lead and other contaminants and were high in sodium. Let me read you a little bit of this report. So here are the findings.
Speaker 5: They say.
Speaker 1: There's a lot to be concerned about in these kids, says Amykating, a registered dietitian at Consumer Reports. They're highly processed and regularly eating process meat I mean ingredient many of these products has been linked to increased risk of some cancers. We also found that some kids had potentially concerning heavy metal and how do you say this?
Speaker 5: They late theay late levels.
Speaker 1: And they're too high in sodium, especially for kids. Do you think the school lunch versions might be better? Sorry, they have even more sodium than the store pot versions. Bottom line, we don't think anybody should regularly eat these products, and they definitely shouldn't be considered a healthy school lunch, says Eric Boring, PhD, a Consumer Reports chemist who led CRS testing. Let me just read you a little bit more here about the lead and cadmium piece, which to me was in some ways the most concerning. They say, Our experts found lead cadmium are both in all of the kits that they tested, even in small amounts. Obviously, these heavy metals can cause developmental problems in children. None of the kids we looked at exceeded any legal or regulatory limits. Still, five of the twelve tested products would expose someone to fifty percent or more of California's max allowable dose level for lead or cadmium. Our experts use those values because there are no federal limits for heavy metals in most foods. That is a relatively high dose of heavy metals given these small serving sizes of the products, which range from just two to four ounces. Their analyst says, for example, the kids provide only about fifteen percent of the sixteen hundred daily calories that a typical eight year old requires, but that small amount of food puts them fairly close to the daily maximum limit for lead. Even if one meal kit doesn't push a kid over the limit, it puts them in the danger zone because there will likely be exposure from other sources. So if a child gets more than half of the daily limit for lead from so few calories, there is little room for potential exposure from other foods, drinking water, or the environment.
Speaker 4: Emily, it's really I mean, I shouldn't say it's a shocking report, but it's shocking in the respect that we our food safety standards are so completely distorted. And one of the reasons for that is just actually even in the company that oversees launchroples in their name, which is Craft High Craft Hines. These are very powerful companies in Washington, d C. Obviously, Hines is the family that John carry married into and Hunter Biden, the Bidens actually have used to at least have relationships with people in that family. And it's not just that specific. I mean, it's just years and years of completely turning the regulations into Swiss cheese based on who has access, and that's how you end up getting things like this approved for school lunches, and that makes more money for the company because that means it's more sales around the country. So it's just a special interest carving out or car at chipping away at which should be obvious standards that we understand, but we can't trust the regulatory agencies to do that on a consistent and principal basis.
Speaker 1: So way back in twenty ten, I out of nowhere decided to run for Congress. I was a new mom, And maybe this sounds silly, or maybe it sounds really I don't know how it sounds. But one of the things that really drove me to take such what at that point in my life was a really drastic step was I was shopping for baby bottles for my infant and realized I had to be really educated to make sure there weren't toxins in the baby bottles. And you just start to think, You're like, this is insane. How could we expose these little, vulnerable beings to such a perilous system. And when you really start to pull on that thread, it connects to everything, because, like you just said, there's a reason why lunchables are allowed in school lunches. There's a reason why lunchables are allowed to have potentially dangerous amounts of lead. And it is all about money and politics and corrupt capture of these regulatory agencies and the assault on these regulatory agencies in the neoliberal era, where the budgets are cut and they're staffing stripped, and they are undermined to the extent that even if they had the standards, they don't have the capability to enforce the standards. I did a piece back in the Rising Days about similar things being found in baby formula, and you just ask you, like, as someone who's trying to do their best for their kids, how do you even know what that is?
Speaker 5: Because listen, I was under no illusions lunchibles were like the.
Speaker 1: Greatest options for my kids, but I didn't think they were the worst.
Speaker 5: Am No big deal?
Speaker 11: Right?
Speaker 1: If they have these occasionally, that's fine, right, No, apparently it's not.
Speaker 5: And specifically you put this up on the screen.
Speaker 1: Watch them posted a report a while back about how lunchibles ended up on school lunch trees and the sub had your weak rules in industry power have allowed ultra processed products onto the menu. And there's a lot of things going on here. So first of all, you've got school funding, you know, being undermined, which means both that you have fewer cafeteria workers will guess what, lunchables super easy.
Speaker 5: You just stack them up.
Speaker 1: Kids can grab them for themselves, and they are familiar with them and they're likely to eat them. Number Two, the group that makes these recommendations has a ton of received industry and has industry ties. So of course if you're craft times, they say, this is a twenty five billion dollar growth opportunity in the school lunch market. And in order to meet these little bit of standards that we have for quote unquote healthy school lunches, which are utterly pathetic, ketchup is still considered a vegetable by the way, you know, they could tweak it a little bit, and actually in those tweaks to up, for example, the protein content, they just pump it full of even more sodium, so they're actually in certain ways worse for your kids. The quote unquote healthy school lunch is actually worse for your kids. And it gets to not only this corruption, but also it gets to like, what are our values in this country?
Speaker 5: Yes, what are val Like? We're feeding kids.
Speaker 1: Poison at schools. We're a wealthy country. We can't afford to have at least some decent, nutritious stuff that our kids are eating when they're trying to learn and their brains are developing and they're in this critical time period. And look at the health fallout, look at the obesity rates, look at the chronic health problems that we have in this country, some of which is, you know, due to the fact we don't have universal healthcare, and a lot of it is due to the fact of the influence of big food and how cheap and easy this stuff is and how much we pump kids full of it from a very early age.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a lot of this happened really quickly, and we were like the frogs in the boiling pot and didn't realize that we were guinea pigs in this mass experiment that had some really damaging consequences. One of the interesting things we can put the next element up on the screen about lunchables in particular. This was a San Francisco Gate story. There's some actually some good books that have been written or that touch on this topic of actually lunchibles in particular. The subheading of this story is a cigarette giant turned the middling product into a lunchtime juggernaut. Well, what that means is actually, as cigarette sales started to plummet, Philip Morris, Philip Morris made lunchabules. They popularized lunchibles. Essentially bought lunchabules and found a way to market them with great success, market them to parents and find a way to make them super, super tasty for kids.
Speaker 3: Here's a great quote from the San Francisco Gate piece.
Speaker 4: They say, if your impression is that the lack of nutrition in lunchibles is a byproduct of cost saving measures, Lunchible's history belies that perhaps the strangest thing about Lunchible's legacy is that its manufacturers repeatedly try to pivot toward healthier ingredients, only to fail every time. They just continued the lunchibles with fruit line. People actually might even remember that it's just their business. This is their business, and it's really I think perfect that Philip Morris is who popularized the Lunchi bowl.
Speaker 10: It just speaks to.
Speaker 4: Exactly how backwards are approach to food food safety is. And I think we're starting to catch up and starting to understand the way that these foods are intentionally designed to maximize their addictive quality, is to maximize their non perishability or their slow perishability and all of that. It's really sad, but we've all been experiments in this for you know, decades. My mom's rule was I only got lunchables on field trips, and that was like the best, because I love pizza, lunchibles.
Speaker 3: They're really good. They're really good.
Speaker 1: Kyle loves people Pizza lunchable that is that is not surprising at all, so disgusting because they're not even heated. Uh, it's just like this cold bread. Yes it's great and it's like gross tomato sauce.
Speaker 3: But you get to make it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's but that was the thing.
Speaker 1: So apparently the origin story is oscar Meyer had like balooney was not really popular anymore, and they had all this.
Speaker 5: Extra bologny and they're like, what are we going to do with all this boloney?
Speaker 1: And so this is what they came up with was, Aha, we'll market it to these kids and be like, oh.
Speaker 5: You're in control.
Speaker 1: You're empowered in your lunch because you, you know, put the cracker in the cheese and the meat together, so you're.
Speaker 5: In control of the lunchible. You the kid, You the kid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and to and obviously listen as a parent, you know, I can relate to this. I don't know why I hate making school lunches like I hate making lunches. There's something about that. It's like the bane of my parental existence. And so if you've got this thing, you can just pull off the shelve and stick in the lunch box. It's pretty nice, right, So it appealed to the kids, appealed to the parents, and they started selling like hotcakes. But the problem was, to begin with, it actually wasn't profitable because the trays cost too much money. And so that was the Philip Morris when they bought I guess they bought Craft. Yeah, so it was Oscar mind and then they merged with Craft and morris By's Craft anyway, whatever.
Speaker 5: Already there's a monopoly story here too.
Speaker 1: By the way, they're like, well, no, if you're selling them, we're going to figure out how to make them profitable, and so they crack the code of how to make them profitable and then the rest of his history. But you know, I also think it's the fact that the fruit ones and the more healthy ones failed also says something too, because it's not like, obviously, if you just get the lunch abowles out of the food system, then it's all going to be fixed. It's that you have a whole systemic problem. And so yeah, kids are like, oh, this is the I'm used to eating all the time, So no, I don't want this like healthier version I want the crap. That's what I'm used to, right, That's what my body is like raised on and expects, and we obviously see disasterus health consequences down the line.
Speaker 5: So anyway, the reason.
Speaker 4: We're so attraction to these foods, at least you know, in the moment, short term, is because they're not There's these are combinations that are not found in nature, right, and it's made to be as palatable as possible. Like think about like skittles, like taste great immediately and then you're like, oh, I just ate plastic, all right, but I just feel like right, yeah, but it's that's again, these are it's it's preying on I think a real problem of moms needing convenient, Like moms are overworked, moms are doing so much and parents in general are doing so much, and this is just like praying on the need for something really easy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's kind of a two income trap story here, yes as well, you know, as you need to income earners in the household time to you know, carefully prepare a healthy and neutrient.
Speaker 5: Just lunch is less available.
Speaker 4: And I don't know the story about lunch bols in particular, but a lot of these foods have been given the rubber stamp of healthy because they have corporate capture the at the regulatory agencies that allow you to put that you're healthy on the box of cereal, that you're a good source of whatever in the box of cereal, and it's just it's not really true in the big pictures. So it's really sad what we've allowed to happen to the thing. And just very briefly from a conservative perspective, when there's criticism of regulation, you know, I think there's some reasonable criticism of regulation in some sectors, but in other sectors when we're talking about literally the thing that is the building block of a healthy family.
Speaker 3: How can you have a healthy, happy.
Speaker 4: Family if what we are eating we are told is healthy and it's actually terrible for you, Like, that's not the pathway to fulfillment, success as a human being, just prospering as families. It's just obviously deregulating the industries that are our physical health when our physical health is on the line is probably not the way to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a real conservative core value of putting actual family values, yeah, and protection of children above even like corporate profit margins, absolutely so I think that's an important note.
Speaker 5: All right, guys, for the latest sound of Israel and Gaza.
Speaker 1: Are very fortunate, Pete joined by a fantastic guest this morning, so let's go ahead and get to that. For the latest on developments out of Israel and Gaza, we are very fortunate this morning to be joined by an extraordinary journalist and Israeli journalist, Gideon Levy. He's also a calumnist for Haretz and an author. Welcome, sir, so great to have you.
Speaker 10: Thank you very much for having me.
Speaker 1: Let's go ahead and put Gideon's latest column here up on the screen. The headline here is no victory awaits Israel in Rafa, only more death and destruction. We just read you a little bit of this for the audience. On the eve of the possible quest of Rafa. One camp demands Rafa and another camp demands the release of the hostages. No one says no to the conquest of Rafa. No reservist threatens to refuse to serve in Rafa if Israel invades the city. In the face of the lust for blood and revenge. There is no opposing camp. Only against Benjamin nt Yahoo, the primary culprit, but not the only one. Is there a determined camp. What do you think is the significance of the Israeli plans to invade Rafa.
Speaker 11: I know their way of thinking, namely that without Rafa we will never break Hamas. But they say souls in Communis they say soul. So in Gaza city it's always like the horizon. The next stop will be the finest one, and you'll never reach it. Because meanwhile, in the north part of Gaza you see this Kramas is big. We have to know a few things about Rafa. Raffa is the southstu in the Gaza street, mainly operated by refugees from nineteen forty eight, a very poor place.
Speaker 10: I've with them many times.
Speaker 11: But in this war, in the last half year, one point two million uprooted people replaced. People were told by is to find rescue in Ruffe. Without any kind of infrastructure or water, would no place to stay, living in kind of tents. And now Israel wants to invade this biggest refuge place in the world, maybe the biggest refugee place. Sorry, And I asked myself where will those people go and who will guarantee their lives? Those are people who went through hell in the last half a year. Those people lost everything in their lives. Part of them lost their relative, their parents, their sons, their children. Part of them lost their homes. Also they lost their own What do we want them now? So therefore, by my really opinion is Liz, give it up, give it up, because nothing would make out of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I want to stay on that point of what could come out of it, even you know, sort of taking the net Yahoo argument at face value about how this is essential to the destruction of Hamas. From your perspective, if this is if this operation goes ahead, what even is the best case scenario for the net Yahoo administration, Because one thing we know for sure is that it's it's not going to destroy Hamas and an operation in Ravas there is just that's that does not assure the destruction of Hamas. So what could the outcome be even the best case scenario for the net Yahoo administration.
Speaker 10: No, there is no best case scenario. There's nothing good in this scenario.
Speaker 11: The best sending case scenario from their point of view was really to destroy Hamas. But we both agree that this is not achievable because Hamas is of being destroyed, and there is story such an organization. There is a way to harm the military capabilities, and this is what it done enough in the last half the year. There is no best case scenario. PONTANIAO. I'm afraid there are also different calculations. As long as the goals going on. His government is in power, there are no elections, and his career is guaranteed. Is it the only consideration? I'm sure not. Is it one of his considerations?
Speaker 10: Yes? Is it jitimate one?
Speaker 1: Get in you right in your column. There is no opposition to war in Israel, and I wonder why you think that is. I mean, at this point we even have the US government acknowledging there's a famine at least in northern Gaza. We are seeing children who are starving to death, babies who are starving to death. We have somewhere around forty thousand Palestinians who have been killed, many of them the majority of whom are women in children. Why is there no significant opposition to this war in Israel?
Speaker 11: Because something very dramatic happened on the seventh of October when Israel and israelis stall nose atrocities in the south, the killing the kidnapping and other crimes that were conducted there.
Speaker 10: They decided that they are.
Speaker 11: Not interested anymore at all any kind of embassy toward the Palestinians, in any kind of dialog with the Palestinians, in anything with the Palestian It's a very emotional, primative reaction, which I cannot criticize, but that's not the policy.
Speaker 10: And above all the Israelis and Israel.
Speaker 11: Go to the conclusion that after those crimes, has the right to do whatever it wants, and this is almost illegal, enormous as well as things like any country in the world, and it cannot do whatever. Words to this year have to add the fact that the Israeli media, free and commercial, private owned, had decided voluntarily that they are not going to batther the Israelis with scenes from Gaza.
Speaker 10: You will not see the suppware, you will not see the starvation, you will not see the destruction.
Speaker 11: Because we know you Israelis, you don't want to see it, and we will do this service for you, and we will not show it for me.
Speaker 10: And that's that's fatal.
Speaker 11: Because most of the Israelis are not exposed to nothing from what is going on in Gaza, and this shapes their mind.
Speaker 10: They really believe that Israel.
Speaker 11: Is killing only terrorists who deserve to be killed, and Israel is living peace ws in and are quite happy about this warm as they are very unhappy with the fact that the ostrigers are still missing. They are very unhappy with the killings of Israeli soldiers. They are very empathetic about the unbelievable human tragedy on the other side.
Speaker 4: Well, and just on that point about the hostages, and while we're talking about Rafa, because that is front of mine for so many people, and as you were just explaining, is really public opinion. What's the potential outcome for the remaining hostages if there is a ground.
Speaker 3: Operation in Rafa going forward? What's the potential outcome is there?
Speaker 4: Is it possible that the kind of best case scenario of recovering hostages safely and getting families some closure or at least some certainty, is an outcome ahead or what do you make of that get in You.
Speaker 10: Know, I don't know. I don't know, because nobody knows where are the hostages.
Speaker 11: But I know one thing is really striving now for six months to release them through military pressure, very messing military pressure. Killings and destruction. It didn't work. Why would you work?
Speaker 10: Now?
Speaker 11: We have to realize that the hostages will and can be released only in one way, through a deal, and a deal means Israel paying for their release, paying not in money, but in terms of releasing a Palestinian prisoner, big quantities and other conditions. If joy is so eager to see the hostage frae, it should have gone for a deal long time ago.
Speaker 1: I wanted to get your reaction getting in if we can put guys D one up on the screen. Yesterday there was an Israeli military strike that killed three children of the Hamas political leader is Mael Honiah and Gaza, along with a number something like three of his young grandchildren as well. There was a lot of theorizing that this could be connected to the ceasefire talks that are ongoing. I don't know how likely successful those ceasefire talks are going to be, but do you see these two things as connected? Because the theory was that now, who doesn't really want a ceasefire at the moment, as you pointed out and many others appointed out as well, he needs this war to continue in order to keep his hold on power. Do you think that there's a connection there and what do you make of these strikes?
Speaker 11: The Isuelis claim the authorities claim that this operation was not approved by high levels. Is it true or not? I can't tell, but that's their claim. It was local commanders who approved this operation. If so, then something is very wrong in the decision making process of the Israeli Army because such sensitive operation, feeling six members of the family of Israeilanea in such a sensitive time, which goes for high ranks and politicians and government, shows that we are facing anarchy in the Isuli Army. This cannot be accepted that such an operation will not.
Speaker 14: Be approved by the highest drinks until the primaryst so other either there is a plucky or they are lying and most possibilities I cannot tell you where is the truth?
Speaker 10: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think it's now long been clear that the military operation in Gaza has not been some surgical hunt for Hamas. Obviously, Nanyahu has his own political considerations of just trying to hold onto power as long as possible. But from your perspective, getting what is the true goal, what are the true motivating reasons for the all out destruction and annihilation that we've seen, and starvation used as a weapon of war that we've seen in Gaza.
Speaker 11: I truly believe that the main motivation is to punish, to take revenge, to show the people of Israel that we are doing something too, that we are teaching the Palestinians and Hamas lesson.
Speaker 10: Every serious person knows that much more or will not come out of this war.
Speaker 11: Nothing of the goals will be achieved, and nothing worth achieved than half the year. It's not that I'm speculating now. In half the year, one of the longest walls between Israel and Palace is the achieved nothing. Why to believe that another half the year will be any better? But by the end of the day, it's really to punish and to take revenge.
Speaker 10: Is it legitimate? I doubt it. Is it justified? I don't know. Is it clever? I know that's very much.
Speaker 5: What level of pressure do you feel personally?
Speaker 1: Because I have to say, I really admire your courage being and as really journalists runing an Israeli newspaper and expressing opinions that, as you yourself will readily admit, are basically unheard of throughout most of Israeli society. What sort of personal pressure have you come under, especially post October seventh.
Speaker 11: I must be friends with you and tell you that if from so many points of view, I went through was wars. From my perspective in terms of being exposed to pressure, to threats, and two Fotina even had the bodyguards because there was no other choice.
Speaker 10: The main.
Speaker 11: Loneliness, the main really challenge, is the fact that many of my friends changed their mind in.
Speaker 10: This war and didn't turn back.
Speaker 11: So part of what was called the Beascamp really changed its mind dramatically, and I'm more lonely than ever. It's not very pleasant, but it's much less pleasant to be in now refugure in rough at this I can ensure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, we really admire your courage and your principles. I've been reading you closely for quite a while now, so it's an honor to get to speak with you, and I'm so grateful for you taking some time with.
Speaker 5: Us this morning.
Speaker 10: Thank you very much for having me.
Speaker 5: It's our pleasure.
Speaker 3: Stay safe.
Speaker 4: Tucker Carlson over at the Tucker Carlson Network did an interview with a pastor in the West Bank, a Palestinian pastor in the West Bank that made huge waves sort of across.
Speaker 3: The online right this week.
Speaker 4: I would just want to start with a clip from the interview and then we can get into why exactly people are so upset about it. So here's a Tucker Carlson with Isaac Munther, a Lutheran pastor again in the West Bank.
Speaker 12: If you wake up in the morning and decide that your Christian faith requires you to support a foreign government blowing up churches and killing Christians, I think you've lost the thread. Just to end on this, if you had a message for Christian leaders in the United States, whether in government or in churches, or just citizens who care about the religion their fellow Christians, what would it be.
Speaker 13: It would be to remind them that when the state of Israel was created, it was not created on an empty land. It was created on a land that had many a self indigenous Potestinians, including Palestinian Christians, and that that state they support, that state they celebrated as a fulfillment of prophecy and the sign of God's state to the Jewish people. For it to become a state, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians, including Palestinian Christians were forced to leave and have never returned. There is a very very brutal war taking place, and a war that I've described using the word genocide because it's a war that has used if it's starvation as a me and fellow Christians are suffering because of that war.
Speaker 12: Father, thank you for your thoroughly decent and sensible analysis, and I hope it's heard by Christians.
Speaker 10: Ruth the West.
Speaker 3: Okay, so again the key Tucker Carlson quote.
Speaker 4: There, if you wake up in the morning and decide your Christian faith requires you to support a foreign government blowing up churches and killing Christians, I think you've lost the thread. That could also obviously be applied to the United States in the Cold War era. We talk about Al Salvador and all of that. But just sticking here for now, it's worth noting there's so much to kind of break down from this, but it's worth noting that so I grew up missourition and Lutherans in the United States a more conservative denomination of Lutheranism than Evangelical Lutheranism alka the Evangelical luther in Church of America. This denomination of Lutheranism in the Holy Land. Is it's worth again saying more liberal this particular. So the person that Tucker Carlson interviewed actually was sort of championing the ordination of women, like kind of a progressive denomination, progressive version of Lutheranism, which is an interesting kind of crossover with Tucker Carlson finding common cause on that question of Christian persecution. There are about three thousand of his denomination Lutherans in Gaza. There are forty seven thousand Christians. At least that was as of twenty seventeen. I'm sure that number has gone down. So he also went viral last year, which some people may remember. Chris, so I think you remember this. He had this viral sermon Christmas sermon where he said if Jesus were to be born today, he would be born under the rubble in Gaza. He gave a sort of homily around Christmas where he said Christ and the rebbel a liturgy of lament. That was the title of the service. Here's another quote from him. People keep leaving because of the political reality life under a very harsh Israel Israeli military occupation is difficult to bearn As a result, many young Palestinian Christians continue to leave, for example, Bethlehem, that's where one of his churches is one of the churches he leaves leeds choosing to find a better and easier life elsewhere. Now in the best the sort, I'm trying to put the best faith approach to Tucker's critics here, and I don't think this was I think this is probably a strange and it probably not the best.
Speaker 3: Interview for Tucker.
Speaker 4: But his critics of him just having this conversation with this Lutheran pastor. You know, they said this particular pastor was championing Hamas because they pulled this clip of him in an address on October ninth saying, you know, one of the scenes that left an impression on my mind yesterday, and there are many scenes, is the scene of Israeli youth who were celebrating a concert in the open air just outside the borders of Gaza, and how they escaped. What a great contradiction between the besieged poor on the one hand and the wealthy people celebrating as if there was nothing behind the wall. What is happening is an embodiment of the injustice that has befallen us as Palestinians since the Knakba until now. He also said in that address, we do not justify or support the killing of civilians or the abuse of corpses or prisoners. War is always ugly, but the hypocrisy of the world is something truly harmful. Today we are called first to pray, pray for the word to stop, pray for protection for the innocent. Every human being who dies is a human being created in the image of God. God does not rejoice in death, and we do not rejoice in death. But because he says things like Israeli occupation, I think he referred to the siege at one point, it's obvious that he's coming from what we in the United States would category as a leftist position on this particular question. It's obvious, but to say that Tucker Carlson should not interview and should not have expressed any sympathies for someone coming from that perspective who lives it every day in Bethlehem, which is a very contested territory. To say that his perspective is not worth hearing out in the United States and there's no reason for somebody to express sympathy with that position, I think is actually really unfortunate and speaks to the way that we have, just even on the right, created these blocks and these bubbles that it's just you cannot even ask questions without being categorized by some people. There's some really good faith disagreement on this, and I would disagree with some of what Tucker Carlson said in that interview myself. We have to be able to talk about some of these things, though, because there are more than forty thousand Christians in Gaza.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that is a very uncomfortable fact. I think for people who are just lockstep, anything Israel does is fine. There's also obviously religious view. I mean, the religious group that has the most favorable view of the net Yahoo government is not Jewish Americans, It's white Evangelical Christians. So Michael Tracy actually tweeted this out, and I thought this was well said. He said, Palestinian Christians are the most cognitive dissonance inducing demographic for the pro Israel GOP consensus. Many GOP voters literally do not even know.
Speaker 5: That they exist. That's why the pro war cheerleaders.
Speaker 1: Are reacting so angrily to Tucker simply interviewing one of them. With regard to this pastory right I was familiar with. I saw his Christmas sermon which was beautiful and went viral, and I think, you know, spoke to humanity. I wouldn't say it was left wing. I would say it was pro humanity. In fact, some of the messaging and it was rather conservative, talking about the commercialization of Christmas and how Christmas is not about Sannah and a tree and gifts, It's about the message of Jesus. I saw another sermon of his that went viral as well. So he's been a very powerful voice. He lives in Bethlehem under Israeli occupation, surrounded by settlements and having to deal with all that that entails and the Christian population of Bethlehem, and this is one of the things that was really I think contested in some of the reaction has significantly diminished, and the reason is quite clear. There's a lot of polling on this. Seventy eight percent of Christian residents of Bethlehem cited Israel's occupation as the main reason why they moved away. Only three percent blamed the rise of islam movements like Hamas. Because this was some of the pushback, It's like, oh well, Bethlehem used to be predominantly Christian and it's not anymore. And it's because of this these Muslim fundamentalists. Well, according to the Christians who moved out of Bethlo, that's not the case. They moved away because they were living under occupation and all of the indignities and humanities that that entails. This was written up by Electronic Intofada, but it was a you know, a nonpartisan organization that did the polling here.
Speaker 3: That's exactly yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Bethline surveys show support for town of Christ's birth and confusion over its location. They also interviewed Americans who were pretty confused over what exactly was going on in Bethlehem, but that key data about seventy eight percent saying it was Israel's occupation is the reason that they left. And in addition, you know, obviously you have had churches under assault in the Gaza Strip. In fact, you had two Christian women, a mother and daughter, who were sniped and killed in the early days of this conflict.
Speaker 5: We covered it here. I don't know if you all recall that or not.
Speaker 4: But Idea have disputes it, which has also became an issue in this whole viral conflict Trinac.
Speaker 1: By the way, I personally believe the eyewitness eyewitnesses who were on the ground versus the idea of who lies all the time.
Speaker 4: But one of the oldest churches, maybe the oldest church actually in Gaza was bombed and lots of Christian died there earlier in the war. Sharin Abu Akle was Christian, was Christian Al Jazeera journalist. Obviously, the IDF story changed on her.
Speaker 1: Well, they admitted they killed her though, yes, ultimately they admitted and again that she was a Christian Postinian Christian, and.
Speaker 5: The attacks American too.
Speaker 1: They attacked mourners at her funeral as well, if people recall but.
Speaker 3: And so if we can't even talk about this, that's a little ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and even the you know, the pushback, oh this you know this pastor he said, X y Z listen. I don't know every word that this man has uttered and whether I co signed them or not. But that doesn't really rebut what he's saying, what Tucker's arguing here, and the comments I saw that he made about October seventh, you know, I tried to gingerly and very carefully make some similar remarks about the festival goers.
Speaker 5: This is not in any way.
Speaker 1: To sanction their murder, which was horrifying, which was an outrageous, indefensible atrocity. I'm not denying that, I would never deny that. But there was something that was worth commenting on about the fact that's so close to the Gaza strip, this open air prison. You had people who were going about their lives as if that was completely invisible, and that was the overall reality of Israeli society prior to October seventh.
Speaker 5: Was this idea that.
Speaker 1: We can just keep these people out of sight, out of mind. We can go ahead with normalization with Saudi Arabia, with other Gulf Arab states. We can just pretend they don't exist. And net Yahuo would say things like, you know, I can control the height of the flame. They would go in for these boeing of the lawn operations every now and again, but for your average Israeli they never really had to come into contact with Palestinians.
Speaker 5: So that seemed to me more what he was commenting on.
Speaker 1: But again, even if he said something about October seventh that I genuinely objected to, that does not undercut the argument that's being made now. Now, the other thing I would say is that you know, with regard to and choosing this particular issue to push on and focusing only on Christians as opposed to the many, many more tens of thousands of Muslims who've been slaughtered in Gaza. You know, the most charitable interpretation is kind of the Michael Tracy one of like he knows this is the one that's the most difficult for the right to deal with. But you know, the uncharitable interpretation is like, well, you only care about the Christians. You don't care about all of humanity that is suffering in Gaza right now, the little you know, Muslim babies who were being starved to death, et cetera. But I'll give it to Tucker. He sure knows how to stir the pot, that's for sure.
Speaker 4: Speaking of which, yeah, we can just quickly give everyone a flavor of the backlash.
Speaker 3: Put you two up on the screen.
Speaker 4: One critic of Tucker who said, quote, there is no one in America, American life who thinks less of Christians than Tucker. He doesn't like Jews, but he at least doesn't think we're stupid. Even Trump's Bible selling is transparently transactional. Tucker's entire stick relies on his belief that Christians are dullible, gullible SAPs. That's from a senior editor over at Commentary Magazine. By the way, I mean, Tucker has very openly in the last couple of years talked about going much deeper into his own faith personally, which I've heard him do it at events. It's a very compelling story, and it's actually a very honest story. So I sort of take issue with that point that there's no one in American life that thinks less of Christians than Tucker Carlson.
Speaker 3: Here's a tweet from David M. Friedman. This is the next element we can put up.
Speaker 1: This was in Trump's Ambassador Israel, so particularly noteworthy that he made this commentary.
Speaker 4: Yes, he said, Tucker my friend. Before the Palestinians took over Bethlehem pursued into the Oslo Cords of the mid nineteen nineties, Bethlehem was under Israeli control in his population was eighty percent Christian.
Speaker 3: It was one of the centers of the Christian world.
Speaker 4: Since Oslo and the resulting Palestinian rule, Bethlehem became eighty percent Muslim and Christians are afraid, but they don't speak out against Palstini authority because you just can't survive.
Speaker 3: You know, this is an interesting.
Speaker 4: Point because you talk about the Azads, you could talk about I mean, you could go into a lot from that point. But it's also just this idea that because Tucker interviewed this pastor, he doesn't believe that there are also Muslim persecutions of Christians like that happens too, Like he's not saying it doesn't. And so it's just this this is what I meant earlier about the boxes and the bubbles that like, if he asked questions, he's immediately categorized with this full suite of opinions that he may or may not hold. But in this case, it's very likely that he would never dispute that in a million years. You would never dispute that, because he talks about it frequently, you know, the sort of like what's happened in Paris and different places in Europe. So I just it's very frustrating, but that's also I guess the nature of Twitter. We can put this next sweet up on the screen from Dan Crenshaw, Sager's best friend, Dan Dan Crenshaw. He took the opportunity to say, this is who Tucker is, a click chaser. Tucker's mo is simple, defend America's enemies and attack America's allies again just immediately prescribing to him this full suite of opinions. Because and Crenshaw then mocks the idea that you're just asking questions. I would really prefer that people did just ask questions as opposed to people just swallowing the line that Dan Crenshaw feeds them.
Speaker 1: Look, I don't have a high opinion of Tucker Carlson, but you have to deal with like what he's actually laying out here and not just below always just chasing clicks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, that's just cheap and easy.
Speaker 1: To go back to the Freedman comments about oh, Bethlehem was under Israeli controlled its populous to eighty percent Christian. He says that resulting Palestinian rule is why Bethlehem became eighty percent Muslim and Christians are afraid. This goes back to the polling that I had before. Yeah, that's just not true if you ask the people that left, that's not the Muslim rule was what did I say three percent said that the rise of Islamic movements like Humas were the reason that they left. Seventy eight percent said it's because of Israeli occupation. And even if you put the West Bank aside, you look at what's happening in Gaza, like Christians are being killed, their churches are being attacked.
Speaker 5: These things are undeniable.
Speaker 1: So you know a lot of and you hear this not just with regard to Christians, but you hear this with regards to other minority groups within Israel outside of.
Speaker 5: The occupied territories.
Speaker 1: Oh well, you know, if you're a Muslim in Israel, you'd rather be a You have more rights there than in many other countries in the Middle East. But they never want to talk about people who are living under occupation under this apartheid system. Yes, if you are a small minority group that does not threaten the demographic majority, they'll you be okay. But then if you say okay, well just extend those rights to the palestinane thrower living in the West Bank and in Gaza.
Speaker 5: Can't do that.
Speaker 1: And you know, to your point Emily about the about more universalist values, like I have no interest in and am opposed to Muslim fundamentalist governments, and I opposed to Jewish fundamentalist governments and Christian fundamentalist governments. And you know that's I believe in the pluralism and secularism that we have at our best here in America, and that is across the board and not subject to, you know, my feeling about one religion or another religion.
Speaker 4: By the way, a lot of the Chinese nationals coming over the border right now say they're Christians who are seeking asylum here because of religious persecution in China, and so I think it's just another great illustration of how sometimes our reflexive categorization. And you know, we have different opinions on what's happening at the border, but we so many like human stories get lost in that categorization that's fueled by places like Twitter. It's sad, well, Christal, I got a preview of your monologue a little bit earlier, and there's some real deep cuts in it.
Speaker 3: I'm excited to hear it. What have you got for us?
Speaker 1: There are countless Washington who've made an entire career out of being perpetually wrong, but in all the right ways. It's amazing how you can excel in this down simply by adopting all of the DC approved wrong takes, some by the way, with utterly disastrous consequences. One of the individuals who has successfully charted such a career path is New York Magazines Jonathan Chate, and now he has added another doozy to his list of extraordinarily bad takes. Ready for this one at a time when our country is blocking aid to people who are starving by defunding UNRA and shipping two thousand pound bombs to be dropped on babies in refugee camps. Jonathan Chate has identified the real villain in the situation the activists who disrupt democratic elite political events calling for a ceasefire and an end to genocide. Here is that piece. The headline is the left wing authoritarians shutting down the Democratic Party. In it, Chate invites us to imagine a world in which trump aline protesters are able to disrupt and drown out a Jamie Raskin's speech on democracy the horror. He then posits that it would be obvious that such a tactic was unacceptable in principle, but since its pro Palestine, protesters using this method criticism has been muted on a fear that to aggressively disagree with such protesters would risk permanently alienating them from the Biden coalition. Chit writes, quote, this pattern of behavior is illiberal and dangerous. Drowning out speakers and disrupting exercises in politics, regardless of its cause or the target, is wrong on principle. Now, before I engage with the details of his willfully bankrupt arguments, let's start with the most obvious and frankly most important point. Jonathan Chait is a well paid, well connected calmnis for New York Magazine who can apparently write and publish pretty much whatever the hell he wants, And his choice right now is to tone police the protesters desperately trying to feed starving babies, block an ethnic cleansing, and stop a genocide. Imagine tutting the abolitionist for their unseemly tactics. You know, harboring fugitive slaves is wrong on principle. You can imagine a nineteenth century Chait opining, or imagine scolding civil rights activists for disrupting ordinary americans lunch counter experience. Sure, I may have some quibbles with Jim Crow, But these lefty Marxist are out of control.
Speaker 5: Or had he lived in Germany during.
Speaker 1: World War II, excoriating those secretly plotting Hitler's overthrow, these are illiberal tactics, Chait may have declared. Now, not a single reasonable person would look back upon such a person in making these arguments and see righteousness, justice or liberalism. Instead, it is atrocity apologia. Or more to the point, if disrupting a Joe Biden's speech is illiberal, how shall we describe secretly expediting over one hundred shipments of weapons to massacre children who are simultaneously helping to starve to death. But Jonathan Chate is a man determined to place himself on the wrong side of history at every chance he possibly can. During the Iraq War, you could find him in the pages of the Washington Post castigating liberals not to go along with those crazy lefties who were doubting the ironclad evidence of Saddam WMDs.
Speaker 5: He wrote, and I quote.
Speaker 1: The notion that Bush made up the whole thing about weapons of mass destruction has taken root on the left and is creeping ever closer to the liberal mainstream. My fellow liberals who have taken up this line are once again making a disastrous misjudgment.
Speaker 5: He argued in twenty.
Speaker 1: Sixteen that liberals should quote earnestly and patriotically support a Trump nomination because Chate was so confident that Trump would lose to Hillary. Now after getting his Trump nomination, which wish, he then wrote this column, which Age, like sour Milk headlined, Trump won't win Michigan. In general, Chate's beat is to serve as an anti left reactionary. Where we find the left taking out some position on an issue, whether it is opposing the Iraq War correctly, criticizing Obama correctly, supporting Bernie over Hillary correctly, or opposing genocide correctly, you'll find Jonathan Chate working feverishly on a column explaining why these positions are an affront to decency and not the stuff of serious fellows such as himself. And so it is with this particular column let's go ahead and dive in, shall we first. Chake claims in his initial setup that these activists, the pro Palestine activists, have been handled with kid gloves by those who should be trashing them, writing quote, because Democrats perceive some of the protesters as potential Biden voters. They have soft peddled their criticism of their tactics. Oh really, tell that to Nancy Pelosi, who just reiterated her suggestion that Ceesfire protesters were effectively traders doing.
Speaker 5: The bidding of Vladimir Putin.
Speaker 1: On the contrary, Pro Palestine activists have been relentlessly smeared, doxed, and subjected to abuse since the outset of this conflict and before.
Speaker 5: By the way, you may.
Speaker 1: Recall an entire multi day news cycle around the activities of protesters on college campuses. This smear campaign was then supercharged by billionaire Bill Ackman, who sought to blacklist pro Palestine activists from ever getting hired by anyone. You might recall Rashida t Lee being officially censured by Congress, backed by the votes of dozens of Democrats, for retweeting a protest call for equal rights for all over to the Sea. Similar censures for those Republicans calling for Gaza to be nuked or for all Palestinians to be slaughtered have not been forthcoming. You might also recall Karreean Jean Pierre standing at the White House podium and saying that sees fire calls were quote repugnant and is not even remarkable at this point when protesters are branded anti Semitic for criticizing a genocide in the ideology that lies behind it. But if these relentless attacks were not enough for you, don't worry. Jonathan Chait is on the case now. He argues his qualm is not with all protesters, just with those who use what he deems to be illiberal tactics.
Speaker 5: Quote.
Speaker 1: I'm not referring to tactics like holding protest march's speeches, social media posts, organizing uncommitted votes in the democratic primary, or other exercises of First Amendment rights. I'm specifically referring to a campaign to shut down speakers who oppose or even in many cases, simply decline to endorse the movement's agenda. He argues that he is simply looking to protect the speech of those like the President, who is just doing his earnest best to participate in this glorious democracy of ours.
Speaker 5: First of all, with.
Speaker 1: Regard to the president, specifically, if Joe Biden would like to avail himself of more opportunities to speak to the American people, I know I for one, would really welcome that perhaps he could sit for more news interviews, since he has done vastly fewer than any other president in modern history. Perhaps he could agree to debate as opponents, as he refused to do in the Democratic primary and has as of yet not committed to do in the general election. Speaking though more broadly, of the speech rights of Democratic Party congress people, let's compare, shall we, the amount of speech permitted by the pro zionis side versus the antidenticide side. Last week I interviewed Motaz Salem. He's a Palestinian American activist. He's seen more than one hundred of his family members killed in Gaza. I cannot even begin to comprehend this level of loss, or what it might do to me, or what actions it might lead me to take. Frankly, but Motas has channeled his grief and rage righteously. He spends his days stocking the halls of Congress, confronting members wherever he can find them, hoping that some waste, somehow their humanity and shame will catch up with them as they realize what they have done. Hoping that perhaps if they can see him as a real, full human being, they might also see those children starving to death, or those parents slaughtered seeking aid his own family members, maybe they will see them as real, full human beings too. Yesterday, Motaz was part of a group in which some members were arrested for shutting down the Senate cafeteria. In other words, he is engaging the sort of confrontational tactics that Chaite deems quote unquote illiberal. Now Motaz is doing everything he can to non violently make his speech heard, but in American politics, all of the odds are stacked up against him because not only is speech speech, money is also speech, and one of the best funded political organizations in the entire country is dedicated to making sure that Motaz's speech is never heard. That be a pack, of course, which has pleasure to spend one hundred million dollars to block any candidate with even the potential to criticize the Israeli government and to punish those who already have the long standing bipartisan commitment to unconditional Israeli governments. Is a testament to the strength of APEC's extremely well funded speech. What's more, Biden and the Democrats will have literally billions of dollars in this election cycle to back up their de facto progenocide speech. So while Motaz and his fellow activists, God bless them, are undoubtedly a constant source of irritation for Joe Biden and Kareem Jean Pierre and Tony Blinken and many others, it's not because it seriously impacts those people's free speech. It's an insult to all of our intelligence to pretend that is actually the case. How can the speech of Motaz compete against the billions of dollars in presidential bully pulpit a arrayed against it. It's an irritation because these powerful people must be confronted on a daily basis with what frauds they really are, how they use the language of humanitarian values in international law right up to the moment that it became uncomfortable for them, And now they have Greenland armed and assisted one of the worst atrocities in recent history. Adding insult to injurious stupidity, Chade has a suggestion for how these protests should properly go about making their views heard in our great democracy. He writes, the pro Poalestinitian movement is barely even attempting democratic participation. The movement could have run an anti Israel candidate against Biden, but never bothered, no doubt, anticipating they would lose. Okay, First of all, both Cornell West and Jill Stein do exist and are running. And in case you were wondering about Chate's enthusiasm for allowing such candidates to participate in our democratic process, he's also the type that will definitely smear third party candidates as being secret Trump lovers. But I also wonder if Jonathan Chait is aware Joe Biden had primary opponents and they were completely shut out by the Democratic Party and the corporate press. How's that for illiberal? And I am not talking about figuratively speaking here. The DNC ordered the primary states to best benefit Joe Biden. They refuse to host any debates, and as if that wasn't enough, key state Democratic parties just blocked Biden opponents from being placed on the ballot and canceled their primaries all together. There literally was not an electoral process to participate in the party effectively canceled it. As David start to point it out, quote, when a political party makes it impossible to express dissent inside a normal process, it should probably expect that people will then try to express descent outside the normal process. If you want activists to use more polite tactics, maybe get outraged about these genuinely illiberal and authoritarian tactics that have left so many feelings like their democratic free speech rights are effectively meaningless. Or if you're looking to be outraged, maybe just maybe get outraged at the powerful politicians who are responsible for this annihilation, providing diplomatic cover, shipping weapons that make such destruction possible and inevitable, Those who are responsible for starving these children through their inaction, and through actively defunding the primary aid organization that could serve them. I might suggest this could be a more worthy use of your.
Speaker 5: Time and of ours.
Speaker 1: By the way, Jonathan Chate closes out his piece with this line quote, If your movement's goal is to prevent those who disagree from expressing themselves, and you delight in meeting out abuse and humiliation to your targets, you're showing the world you cannot be trusted with power.
Speaker 5: Yes, let's allow.
Speaker 1: The serious people to hold power, the ones who are serious about supporting the slaughter of more than fifteen thousand children, As the world watches in horror. These are the types in whom Jonathan Chate places his trust. And if you don't like it, then you can send a strongly worded letter, so long as that it is in the proper cordial tone and doesn't have a prayer of changing a goddamn thing. And Emily, I also think this calm.
Speaker 2: And if you want to hear my reaction to Crystal's monologue, become a premium subscriber today at Breakingpoints dot com.
Speaker 1: All Right, guys, thank you so much for watching today. Emily, thank you so much for sitting in with Sager for Sager, thanks for having Sager in spirit.
Speaker 4: Scaga was here in spirit, not in the chair, but he was here in spirit.
Speaker 1: Zaga or we'll be back next week and we'll be back with our regular scheduled program.
Speaker 5: And so guys, enjoy the weekend. We'll see you soon.