Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This He's Talking Cowboys string live.
Speaker 2: From the Dallas Cowboys World Course at the Star in Frisco.
Speaker 4: Six pesscot tixis touchdown.
Speaker 1: And now your hosts Isaiah Standback, Nick Harris, John Mashoda and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 5: Go Dallas Cowboy.
Speaker 2: It is a victory Monday. Don't you talk in front of me on a victory Monday. What are you doing?
Speaker 6: Nick Harris, still haven't figured that one out.
Speaker 2: It's a victory Monday here on Talking Cowboys. You gotta wait for the.
Speaker 3: Beat to You gotta wait for all of it to happen, and the song starts going, and by the time like the song ends normally I'll be at the Cowboys beat the Patriots thirty eight to three on Sunday afternoon. And then you pause while it.
Speaker 2: Plays in the distance.
Speaker 6: You gonna run that back.
Speaker 2: It's called hitting the post. No, it's okay, Cat. It was a Ford slap and a backwards slap. It was sounded like both. I mean a thirty eight to three. It was a forward and a backwards boom. It was it was a Rick James.
Speaker 7: It was.
Speaker 2: It was a Rick James slap one in the five fingers. What were you wanting to wanting to fit in there right at the beginning.
Speaker 6: Oh no, I was just saying I don't quite figured that out yet. Oh that's so I said the song.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh yeah, yeah, I mean it's okay.
Speaker 3: There's only been three wins so far, still very early seventy five percent.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And the biggest and most significant loss handed the Bill Belichick in its entire head coaching career, a thirty five point beat down at AT and T Stadium. It was really an unbelievable showing from all three phases, and it got back to what the Cowboys did in weeks one and week two, because then you now you look at that Week three matchup as a potential blip. I don't want to name it as a blip just yet, but now it has the potential to be one after what they did to the Patriots on Sunday.
Speaker 6: Yeah, absolutely, and it was.
Speaker 5: It was something actually I wrote about last night, was Arizona was the exception, not the first two weeks, because they came back in Week four and they almost immediately replicated what they did in the first two weeks. The defense got after it early, defensive touchdowns, special teams was helping out. How about Chauncey Golston catching a two point conversion and then the offense it was effective getting down the field. And I'm sure we'll still talk about red zone this week, and you know that'll be a point. But you know, when the defense is performing like this, it's tough to find anybody in the league that can beat them. And I mean that, I really don't think that anybody in this league and beat them. When the defense is playing like like they were last night, like they were against the Jets, like they were against the Giants, it's just too much to overcome.
Speaker 2: Do you want to talk about Hunter Lipkey too? Do it? Do it now?
Speaker 6: You know since you brought it up.
Speaker 2: Oh there's an undershirt.
Speaker 4: I know, there's no way nice, Oh way one moment.
Speaker 2: Oh this is happening deep. I almost got it this morning. This is coming to the state pull back for life. Wow, I love this. WHOA made it this morning?
Speaker 5: Fresh fresh off the rack, Fresh off the rack. It'll be eighty dollars on Nick Harris dot com later, but like it. But yeah, how about our man get in the end zone.
Speaker 2: I knew you were a hundred lipkey Stan.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm always going to bring it up, especially when he has his first NFL touchdown. I had no idea that was coming. Yeah, I had no idea. Should have known that was on.
Speaker 2: The way I saw the undershirt. I should have known. You should have known he wears an undershirt.
Speaker 6: Though normally right, Yeah, but it's typically black, but it's inside out. It's inside out details inside out shirt. Yeah, it's an inside out shirt that I made this morning.
Speaker 5: And it's honestly like, I used to work out in this shirt and I found like a sweatstain on it.
Speaker 6: I was like, you know what, I just need to get rid of this.
Speaker 5: So this is the last day this this shirt is ever being used and then it's getting sold to anybody who's a hundred lucky stand like the auctions open should give.
Speaker 3: It to charity or something that'd be kind of like for real, Like if he wanted to auction it off for real and then maybe give.
Speaker 2: The money to charity. Why not?
Speaker 6: Yeah, why not?
Speaker 2: But just an idea, just an idea. What do you think about the wind that was? Do you want to talk about a Hunter Locky.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, I do, yeah, absolutely. I actually talked to him after the game in the locker room and he was so high. He was so excited. He was like, yeah, I spiked it, gave a little flex and then I forgot the ball and Dak had to come up.
Speaker 6: And give me the ball.
Speaker 5: I saw that, he said, he just kind of like blacked out on the sideline. He says he doesn't remember anything after that.
Speaker 6: He was just excited. I was like, let's go.
Speaker 5: But I will say with Rico Dawdle potentially missing time, I will figure more out today probably and later into this week. They're gonna need somebody to step up in pass protection in the backfield, but also a guy that can be a thread out of the backfield, because you don't want a guy back there who's just being used for pass protection and then everyone knows what's happening pre snap whenever that guy's on the field. So there might be an opportunity for Hunter Lucky moving forward, not only what we saw last night after Dalda went down, but just in general.
Speaker 2: M two things Kyle right off the back.
Speaker 4: First thing, I want to send uh some some good vibes and prayers up for all those players that have to go to in the meeting room with Bill Belichick this morning, because that is going to be horrific.
Speaker 2: So definitely they're gonna need you, guys. Prayers.
Speaker 4: Second of all, just saying I'm just gonna be it's gonna be by, It's gonna be real.
Speaker 2: By it especially at one in three. Yeah, it's just not good. It's not good.
Speaker 4: But the worst loss ever, worst loss that's not gonna sit very well, just telling you.
Speaker 2: And second of all, uh no disrespect man.
Speaker 4: Like I did not believe that Dallas was going to be able to control the trenches. I also didn't think that that Tyler, Biada and Martin we're gonna play right. But still even with those guys playing, I knew it was gonna be a tall task against against this new England front, and they shut it down, right, they shut it down. Unfortunately, you know, Judno only got a small dose. I would have liked to see that matchup more right, having a solid defensive end really going up against our front to use that as a kind of a marker as a test. So prayers up to him. Hopefully he gets has a fast recovery. I know they had a couple of major injuries over there on their side. But I did not believe that Dallas was gonna be able to hold it down the way they did on the front, and that was on both sides of the ball. And I was completely proven wrong, And I am glad that I was proven wrong, because these guys you have to be able to control the aspect of the game. There is no question marks in regards to the personnel outside the interior line of this team.
Speaker 2: On both sides of the ball, there's there's no questions.
Speaker 4: You know, you have the dbs, you have the receivers, you have the running backs, you have all the skilled position players. You can have all that, But the question mark has always been can you move the ball on the ground effectively whenever you want to? And can you go ahead and stop teams from running the ball. That's always the only questions that really ever exist on this team. That's what they are aside from kicker going to get into the camp, and we always have a kicker coming out of camp, right, But they answer that call. And to your point, seventy five percent of this year, right in terms of what we've seen, they have executed. They have actually They've shown us that they're fully capable of doing that. People can keep looking to the Arizona game all day long. I don't look at those games like that. The reason why is because every team presents a different matchup, and unless you're facing that team twice a year, I can't call it up. I want an old game or whatever, like I give the other team respect. They beat you that day, right, So Dallas has an opportunity for going forward to beat every team that shows up on their schedule.
Speaker 2: And that's all they can control. What happened happened. Now.
Speaker 4: They just have to continue to put out this type of performance every single week. And obviously we'll get into it later on this week they have a big test coming up.
Speaker 5: Almost every position group and unit reboundy yesterday. I mean that's that's without stating, but especially the trenches on both sides of the ball.
Speaker 6: I mean they were dominant.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 6: It started with Tyler Smith.
Speaker 5: I think on on the offensive line, Tyler Biattish had a good game before he got pulled out.
Speaker 6: I think like third quarter Zach Martin as well.
Speaker 5: I mean Chewy Doga even held his own whenever Judn was in for for most of the game. So and then on the defensive side, they were generating push. In the run game, it was Hankins, it was Mazie getting in there on a probably I think I had about fifteen snaps for I was Neville Gallimore had the game of his life. I Patrick Walker was sitting next to me in the press box, and it felt like every five minutes, I was like, did you just see nev Nev just do that?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, didn't have count in his helmet or something like that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was. It was crazy.
Speaker 3: I think hit best his best day so far. I mean, you could add it up on the list. The interior of that defensive line set the tone just as much as the interior of the offensive line set the tone on the offensive side. So I think it's impressive to see the jump that they did make, because that was one of our questions last week was how much can you fix in one week? How much can you turn around in one week? And it turns out you can fix quite a bit in one week. The Cowboys are used to this. They're nine and one since the beginning of the twenty twenty one season. Following a loss.
Speaker 2: They know how to rebound.
Speaker 3: And they've done so very well since the start of that season. But I think this might have been the most impressive one because of how down the loss of the Cardinals was, because of how much you were dominated on both sides of the football, and then the way you come back against a really good Patriots defense.
Speaker 2: I don't want to talk about their offense.
Speaker 3: Their offense has plenty of problems, and we saw that again yesterday, but that defense came in as one of the top units in the NFL, and you made them look like they had just as many problems as the offense.
Speaker 5: I will say, even as the night went on last night and I'm watching that Jets Chiefs game, yeah, I continue to feel better about where this team is at. Even coming out of Week three against Arizona. The Chiefs and the Bills both struggle with that Jets defense, and the Cowboys did their way with him.
Speaker 6: And you can look at the Patriots as well.
Speaker 5: You know who the Patriots have played so far this season and what they have put together defensively, and what the Cowboys did to them literally from start to finish last night. So man, I think I think there's a lot of great things to take away, not a lot of negatives.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I want to save the defensive talk for the next segment, but I want to start on the offensive line.
Speaker 2: You brought up Tyler Smith.
Speaker 3: Tyler Smith is quickly becoming one of my favorite players maybe in Cowboys history, because I really love the way that he handles himself.
Speaker 2: I love the way that he plays the game. You talk about a guy who's willing and open to being a good teammate.
Speaker 3: You saw that last year with the way that he bounced inside and outside, the way that he plays the game with a ferocity, with an intensity of physicality. He is uber strong, but also just the way he handles himself off the field too. And now I'm talking in terms of favorite player in Cowboys history. I'm not saying it's the best player. I'm saying one out of the guys that I've watched or interacted with, he's one of those top guys because he did his job all day long. And so last week against Arizona too, I thought that was maybe one of the two bright spots in that Arizona game, was what he was able to do just by himself on an island at the guard spot.
Speaker 2: Then he gets some help back from Tyler Biattish.
Speaker 3: He gets a full week of reps with Chew Madoga and he helped push that defense backwards and it was really impressive to watch up front.
Speaker 5: I love what Tyler Smith did from start to finish. I mean there wasn't a ton of pressure generated on deck throughout the night. I think he was sacked once or twice. But I mean the running game was able to be effective, effective enough to get the passing game going. I think completion's to ten different receivers yesterday, that's just a credit to the protection.
Speaker 2: Areas to eight different players too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, everybody got involved, absolutely wild. I think a little bit of that was just, you know, it kind of getting out of hand late. But if you looked at this box score probably you know, mid third quarter, that would still tell the same story. But Tyler smith Man, it definitely looks like he's made a second year jump, which we always talk about the second year jump. I feel like we haven't really talked about it with Tyler Smith since the started training camp, just because of how good his rookie year was. His second year jump has all pro potential.
Speaker 2: Yes, Isaiah raising your hand speaking of second year jumps, Oh you were gonna take my transition here? Sure what Jaylen Tobert?
Speaker 3: Oh, I was on your saying, Jake Ferguson, Jalen freaking Tober, how about that?
Speaker 4: Listen here, everybody wants to talk about his offensive contributions. And yes, he has made a substantial stride in that, right perceptions, fifty three yards.
Speaker 2: It's more than what he had in the entire.
Speaker 4: Absolutely two season. He's been showing up over the past few weeks. Right, this is not just the first time he showed up this year. Right, They just threw it to him more often this time around.
Speaker 2: Was he four for four? Yeah? Four for four?
Speaker 4: How about the effort and the execution on special teams? That was the most impressive thing to me, because that is the most undervalue thing from the fans perspective. Fans we can really look over for the majority of the time because they go straight to the commercial.
Speaker 2: Nobody talks about it. Right, It's all right, we'll be right back, right, But that's when you go get the chips, right, you know you've been holding it dream, That's what it is.
Speaker 4: This dude, I don't understand how difficult it is to make a play from the gunner position. Okay, he was going against arguably the best gunner in the history of football.
Speaker 2: He was playing again.
Speaker 4: On the other side of the ball was Matthew Slater, who's arguably the best gunner and special teamer ever in the history of the game. Right ten Pro Bowls, He's going to be a Hall of Famer, probably one of the first Hall of famers at the specialist position.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: On the opposite side, you had Jalen Tolbert going down there taking on the challenge. Whether he was thinking about Matthew Slater or not, I don't care, but he was going down there and showing you exactly what he's capable of.
Speaker 2: From the special teams perspective.
Speaker 4: He had an impact on his game in a major way, going down there and making a big hit. Okay, just taking off just I was about to say something else, taking off.
Speaker 2: Just I mean, I didn't say it with your check. I haven't seen that speed out of him. He has kind of that personality.
Speaker 4: It is kind of like I'm chill, like I have the capabilities, but I don't always show it. He took that limitar off. He was the best thing in the world for me to see. I'm not sure if everybody else saw it, but he went down there and made one heck of a play and then followed it up.
Speaker 2: With offensive plays.
Speaker 4: So, however he was on the field and was being asked to be utilized, he was producing. And that's all you could ask of anybody on the roster. But even more so from where he came from last year to where he is today, super kudos to him.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: When he came in and made that tackle on that punt return, I first thought it was CJ. Goodwin just because of how fast he closed and the ability to make that tackle and the physicality and the tackle too. Yes, And then when I looked down, H'm like, oh that's eighteen.
Speaker 6: That's Tolbert. Yeah, pro hesitation.
Speaker 5: It was super awesome to see. And then in the receiving game he was just as effective, I mean, getting physical with guys on the boundary. I think he was matched up with Christian Gonzales once and it had beat him, but Dak had gone the other way.
Speaker 6: But it was really good to see Tolberry esh show.
Speaker 3: Was and looking at his snapcowns offensively, I mean, Tolbert ended up with twenty four offensive snaps seventeen special team snaps. If you're going to play like that on special teams and then contribute and catch all four of your time targets and make some moves on offense, you will see more than twenty four snaps and that was thirty four percent of the offensive looks.
Speaker 2: He's gonna see that. Continue to step up. That's not bad on the way.
Speaker 3: I want to go to Jake Ferguson too, because that was the other second year jump that we're taking a look at.
Speaker 2: I mean, seven of seven for seventy seven yards. You should have gone on handling ance game. Yeah. I was about to saying you can't.
Speaker 3: You can't gamble in the NFL, but you could. He might have had some luck if he would have gone to the slots. But seven to seven for seventy seven. When you look at Jake Ferguson, what impresses you the most about what he's taken, what step he's taking going into the second year.
Speaker 5: I would say the thing that's impressed me the Moses is run blocking. Actually it would not even be in the receiving game. That was something we had to talk about. And it's saying a ton because when we came into the season, when we went into draft season, we were talking about how the Cowboys need a tight end that can assist in run blocking, especially with Ezekiel Elliott being out now and you don't have that added protection and pass pro as well if you wanted to throw him in that situation. And man, Jake Ferguson is has taken that upon himself and he's excelled with it so much so that it's allowed that tight end group to kind of just develop at their own pace in that department. But talking about the receiving end, man yesterday was great getting him open in the seams, quick routes. He's that safety net for dak Prescott across the middle of the field that I think will just consistently, We'll consistently see these type of performances from Jake Ferguson.
Speaker 4: I think, yeah, Fergie, I haven't really paid much attention to his running blocking, so I can't speak to that right now, but in terms of his reception, I mean, he's being that consistent guy. I mean, everybody knows Dakla is a good tight end and he's fighting him. He's finding them often. I mean, he came into this, he came into this game with the most targets in the red zone in the entire NFL. He probably left the game with the most targets in the red zone in the entire NFL. He's just becoming that tried and true, trustworthy tight end that you could really start to depend on. And that's why you're seeing his attempts right and reception start to go up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think the way that you're looking at this tight end room now is Ferguson a considerable gap between the guys that are that are there. Of course, Peyton Hindershot was inactive. He's been dealing with a bit of an injury. Luke Schoonmaker, he's been doing okay, but he had the driver he had to play.
Speaker 2: That might have been the best thrown ball of the.
Speaker 3: Day from Dak Prescott, and it was a it was a drop in the end zone.
Speaker 2: Got to catch that one.
Speaker 3: But for the most part, I think this tight end room, it goes back to what we talked about prior to the season when we were in draft coverage, is Okay, you've got something to grow with here. It's still not there yet and you still don't have it as a dominant weekend, week out tight end group. But you have the pieces there to utilize, and they've been utilizing them along the way as well. I want to talk red zone later in the week. Yes, I don't want to talk about it right now. This is a happy day, positive. This is a happy happy day because of that. When we come back here on Talking Cowboys, we're gonna switch the focus to the defensive side.
Speaker 2: Deron Bland dB enough set dB.
Speaker 3: The dB has a big We'll talk about de Ron Bland and the Cowboys defense when we come back with more Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 8: After this, Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Faster, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 1: Five G requires compatible plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com. Slash five g for you for details.
Speaker 9: Black Rifle Coffee Company serves premium coffee to people who love America. When you drink Black Rifle Coffee, you are directly supporting veterans, law enforcement, and first responders in your community. Black Rifles expert roasters love coffee almost as much as Texas loves football, so it makes sense that America's coffee partner with America's team. Go online at Black Riflecoffee dot com. Fuel up with the official coffee of the Dallas Cowboys. That's Black Riflecoffee dot Com.
Speaker 2: To fuel up.
Speaker 3: Today, Cowboys fans. After that move, We've just coined the term rowdy replay. Let's roll back the table.
Speaker 7: Okay, there's our mascot Rowdy, cheering on the boys, and now he's on his phone on his.
Speaker 2: Bank of America Mobile banking app.
Speaker 3: Staying on top of his finances with his virtual financial Assistant Erica.
Speaker 7: Bank of America's digital tools are so impressive. Cowboys fans just can't stop banking. Learn more at Bank of America dot com. Slash can't stop banking.
Speaker 3: Everkay, It's only available in the English language. Must download the latest version of the Mobile Banking app only available on so Like mobile devices. Message in dat raigy apply number FDIC.
Speaker 10: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of Dr Pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller.
Speaker 2: Would you, Dear Doctor?
Speaker 1: My friend supported me during a tough time.
Speaker 11: But what's the right gift that says thanks for being the shoulder to cry out?
Speaker 10: Okay, this one's easy. I say, give her a delicious Doctor Pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavorable do Now, just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 2: To Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This portion of the Talking Cowboys podcast is brought to you by Quaker Oats, a super trusted superfood Quaker Oats, the official oatmeal sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. We've got Isaiah standback, Nick Harris, Chris Beam in the back. I'm Kyle Yeomans. We have a special guest for this segment. Okay, Hunter Lipkey.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's Lipkey Day.
Speaker 5: I hope y'all expect it that this is what the show is gonna be now, it's gotta be right.
Speaker 6: It might be the rest of the week.
Speaker 2: Everybody at home is probably like, wow, hundred lip Key's on the show. No, it's just a piece of paper sitting in a chair.
Speaker 3: But it's a great photo of Hunter Lookeys spiking his first career NFL touchdown. Nick, What was the moment like for you in the press box? I mean you were in the stadium, you were in the venue. I mean, what would it feel like whenever your guy found Peter.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, I actually heard a whistle pre snap, like I don't know, I may have come from like the stands or something. So I didn't even really take it seriously whenever it happened. And Patrick Walker was next to me, and the Nick Eatman was a couple of seats down, and they're all looking at me like that's your guy, that's your guy, And I'm like, oh, this is this counts, this counts, let's go. So I didn't even really get to take it in as soon as it happened.
Speaker 6: But uh no, it was. It was super cool to see that.
Speaker 2: That's unfortunate, yeah.
Speaker 6: But it's fine. He'll have many more.
Speaker 2: So oh good, Oh, thank goodness, I'll can do a cart. Well, the next one, we'll see, Oh can you do?
Speaker 6: I was about to say, I first need to practice a car.
Speaker 2: Wheel just ocase his shoulders.
Speaker 6: I'll just okay, a lot of.
Speaker 2: Things, all right.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about this defense. Deron Bland a company. Three total takeaways, two of which go for touchdowns. The Cowboys right now three defensive touchdowns.
Speaker 2: On the season.
Speaker 3: They also have the most in the NFL since DC dan Quinn arrived in twenty twenty one. That's twelve defensive touchdowns. I want to see that compared to some of the teams in the NFL. Like, I know, twelve is not even close to comparable to offenses since the start of the twenty twenty one season, But I feel like that's a crazy number to even talk about over three seasons, let alone what he's done.
Speaker 2: You think so twelve? I mean offense is sure? There's more than at least one offense in the NFL. You think so since the beginning of twenty twenty one, there's no, no, no, no, no no no.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, yeah, if it was twelve years, would be great, that's my mindset.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or maybe even the three this year is probably comparable.
Speaker 5: I would like to see it compared to what this defense did, just like in the twenty tens, because it felt like they would go a whole year without a defensive touchdown and it would happen and it would be like blue Moon. But twelve and three years, I would like to see that compared with last decade.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's our research proce, maybe it is. Maybe that's what.
Speaker 3: We look into today, all right, But Dron Bland two picks. He was a talking point in the wrong way, the poor way. Coming out of that Cardinals matchup. Dan Quin said he had a nice match, but you go back and look at the film. Arizona targeted to Ron Bland, and they took advantage of really the short amount of time that he was able to practice on the boundary.
Speaker 2: He rebounded in a big.
Speaker 6: Way, Yeah, a huge way.
Speaker 5: He was a spotlight whenever Trayvon Diggs went down, and everybody was comfortable in moving him out if he talked to anybody in the building. And you see why after yesterday, him just being able to not only lock down guys, but his ball skills, being able to track down that kind of stuff. I mean, goodness, the one play that the pick six. Mac Jones had tried him earlier. He had gone across his body to the opposite dropped, not even opposite Hatch, just opposite sidelined, and Blane just kind of like he kind of missed breaking on it. And he said it postgame he was like, he wasn't gonna get away with it again, and so he came and he broke on it, and once he picked it off, he was gone. I mean, there was he could have gone two hundred yards.
Speaker 6: That was going to be a pick six.
Speaker 5: And then he had a really great pass deflection too. I believe that was late in the first half where he just closed super fast, and his closing speed is the best on this team right now. I think with Trayvon Diggs on the field, they're one A, one B. But man Deron Bland is holding his own and he has the most interceptions in the NFL since the beginning of twenty twenty two, and when everybody is healthy, you easily put him corner back three.
Speaker 6: That's just that's wild to think.
Speaker 2: He may even be corner two if you think about it.
Speaker 3: Not on the boundary, he would go back inside because that's where he's comfortable. But I mean he's the one that's making the majority of the place, and he has been since he entered the league. So I think you could have that conversation that he's the second best corner on this team.
Speaker 2: Nothing against Stefan Gilmour. That's just how good dron Bland has been to this point. What do you think about dB and the defense yesterday? DB's a really good dB, he really is.
Speaker 4: I mean, ever since he's touched foot on the ground, since he came in last year, he's done nothing to make plays. He's been nothing to be a consistent resource for these guys. You go back to when the line of duty called upon him last year and he answered the call. You know, obviously she was a Jay Lou went out last year, right, so he stay, he steps in, makes place. That's how you find out. That was his introduction to the league, was getting interceptions. So we spoke highly about him last year because he answered a call. Now all of a sudden this year he was already a starter, but now he answers a call. If Trayvon Diggs going down, your your best, your best cornerback on his team goes down, and he steps up, goes from the inside. All Right, we need you to go outside much like uh, much like a Tyler Smith last year. Right, you know, you know, answer answer to the call. You got that Riocky class really stepping up in a major way. Now he goes out there and makes plays at the outside cornerback position, and it was It's just awesome. It's really cool to have be able to have that depth on your team that you could really depend on not only to execute their assignments, but to be playmakers.
Speaker 3: It's crazy because we've talked so much about the front seven and the pressure that's put on mac Jones, and there was certainly pressure there.
Speaker 2: Yesterday, maybe not as many sacks.
Speaker 3: You had the strip sack from Dante Faller Junior leading to Leyton van der Rash and his first NFL touchdown. He told us on the postgame show yesterday that it was the first touchdown he scored since he was playing quarterback in high school.
Speaker 2: He wasn't even playing an eleven man football in high school. I mean, so this is the first time in eleven man organized football that he has scored a touchdown. But the second sact came later. It was just kind of a no big deal.
Speaker 3: Toward the end of it, but it was the secondary that I thought did the best job. Going back and watching the film, I thought stuff Gilmore was solid. Of course, we saw what Jeron Blam was doing. Then there were times when Duran was beat off the line of scrimmage, but then he would make a play late or he would he would make the right take the right angle, make the right read, he would read the quarterback the ball skills he talked about getting there.
Speaker 2: And making a play.
Speaker 3: But then I really liked the interior of that defensive line too, and we talked about that a little bit already. But it allowed everyone else to play free off the second level, and it allowed for guys like Layton van der Rush and Damoon and Clark to have probably one of their.
Speaker 2: Best games of the year too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was just about to say Layton vander RESHI had his best game of the season so far yesterday. He was flying downhill in the run game, he was playing really well in coverage. In the getting back into the secondary. That second level was awesome, and that's something we really talked about last week. It was not only the interior defensive line, but the second level really needs to step up. If this defense wants to maximize its potential. They answered that call, and they did that even when in a game where Michael Parsons was mostly kept quiet. I think the Patriots did a really good job of keeping him limited. Also, he was off the field for a little bit in the first half with what Aaron Andrews called a tweaked knee on the sideline. But even aside from that, whenever he did return to the field in before that, they did a good job of limiting him and limiting the edges in general.
Speaker 6: DeMarcus Lawrence same way.
Speaker 5: And so it was that interior defensive line, that second level like, hey, guys, we need you to generate that pressure now, and they did that.
Speaker 3: How big is it to have the defense step up the way that they did, and specifically the guys that struggled against Arizona interior defensive line linebackers and have them step up and show that, hey, that was possibly as huge.
Speaker 4: I mean when you talk about the defensive line, the defensive line starts everything defensively for any team. I don't care who you are, right otherwise, just give up, give up the cookies every single every single play. But by the d line performing well by them getting off the snap count. Like Gallimore was, I don't know what he was doing. He was playing out of this world getting off the getting off those snapcount.
Speaker 2: But defensive line gets.
Speaker 4: Penetration allow us these second level guys Vander ash and Damone Clark to be your leading tacklers, and that's what you want. You don't want your defensive backs being your leader leading tacklers on the team for a game. So you have vander Esher, I think we had seven combined tackles, Dumont Clark has six combined tackles. That's what you want to see on your stat sheet because that means the teams are trying to run the ball and they were ineffective because the linebackers were free to flow when you try to.
Speaker 2: Get to the sideline.
Speaker 4: These guys are going out there, you know, cornerbacks are consuming the receivers and the linebackers are able to free flow because the lignemen aren't working up to your second level. So when you have that, when you have that impact on your defensive line, the benefit actors are always going to be your linebackers. And that is very important for this team and it's going to be very important for his team coming this week.
Speaker 3: And one question I've been dying to ask you since I started watching the film back this morning.
Speaker 2: There were a lot of times I.
Speaker 3: Found myself looking at the certain plays that had mac Jones rolling out or pressured or whatever ended.
Speaker 2: Up happening, and the mistakes happened from Mac Jones.
Speaker 3: I kept asking myself, was this a product of the Dallas defensive scheme? Or was this a product of mac Jones having just an awful game? Because he was not good, and Patriots fans will say the same thing, Bill Belichick will say.
Speaker 2: The same thing. I'm sure Mac Jones will be all the same thing. Yeah he was not good.
Speaker 3: But was that a byproduct of how good Dallas was defensively or maybe just a mixture of both.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think I don't think you can just look at this game. I think you have to do exactly what Nick was saying and go back and look at the sample size from the previous three games and say, Okay, well, you know, make Jones, Yeah, even though he was terrible last night, this is what we've been doing to everybody. So when you look at it from that perspective, you have to give credit to the scheme and the personnel, and you have to wig wag less on the fact that the quarterback was just an awful quarterback.
Speaker 6: I think it's a little bit of both.
Speaker 5: For sure, you don't make that throw to Deron Bland on the pick six and say that it was the defensive scheme that just overwhelmed. Great play by Bland, not taking anything away from him or to Pack, But I wouldn't have made that throw. I feel like I've never been in the heat of the moment, but I don't feel like I would have anyway. The defensive scheme, I think from the very beginning though, really overwhelmed Mac Jones as well.
Speaker 6: So it's a credit to both.
Speaker 5: If I had to put it at percentages, I put it like sixty five thirty.
Speaker 2: Five, okay.
Speaker 3: And another reason why I asked the question is you've done it against Daniel Jones, You've done it against Zach Wilson, You've now done it versus Mac Jones. Can you do it against Brock Purty. That's my upcoming question.
Speaker 4: We're gonna find out. We're gonna find out. I mean that, obviously, we'll get more into the forty nine ers this week. They have far more weapons, far more, far greater offensive scheme. So this is gonna be a chess match. Obviously in the offensive coordinator defensive coordinators booths.
Speaker 2: How about this?
Speaker 3: Did it build your confidence level in this defense going into Mac Jones?
Speaker 2: It doesn't change any It doesn't change anything for me. I mean, I think we listen.
Speaker 4: I'm not don't gonna take anything away from from our defense. Our defense is absolutely bawling out and I don't care who's that quarterback for the posing team. It's hard to do what this defense is doing. These numbers are absolutely insane. The pressure is insane. They are across the board how guys are making plays. But those those quarterbacks are not good quarterbacks. Let's just just keep it one hundred Daniel Jones, you know, Zach Wilson and.
Speaker 2: And Mac Jones.
Speaker 4: Those guys are It's probably at the bottom of the league when you talk about quarterbacks. But you don't control who shows up on your schedule. They show up on your schedule, You take care of them. Their performance is their performance. You just take advantage of it when you can. So obviously it's gonna be a step up. I don't think I think pretty as a relatively good quarterback. I don't put them as a world beater. I just think that the scheme and what they do offensively is absolutely amazing over there in San France. So everybody's gonna be challenged. Dan Quinn's gonna be challenged there. Their film study is going to be challenged, right, Their discipline is going to be everything's going to be heightened. I mean, this is you're about to play one of the better teams in the league, as has been one of the better teams in the league for a long time. So you have to step it up, continue to make the plays that you've been making, but you're gonna have to everything else gets fine tuned.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: The windows are going to be dwindled down. You know, you're not gonna have quarterbacks throwing the ball late and across the across the field, right, You're gonna have to be right on top of everything. So not that you still can make your plays, but the room for error is going to be a lot less.
Speaker 5: I'm most definitely more confident after yesterday, just because I was worried at coming out of Week three. I was like, what's going to be the exception here? The first two weeks or week three, and it ended up being Week three. Re established that confidence and watching what Christian McCaffrey did in the first half yesterday, I was really concerned just about the run game in general. But my bubble gut have been calmed just a little bit. I think we're gonna need to see it. I'm gonna need to see it before I'll be completely like, Okay, you know, I need to see San Francisco go out there for four or five drives and see what that run defense does. But pus talking about Brock Party specifically, I don't. I think it's less about going against Brock Party this week, and just more so against going against all eleven on that offense with their skill guys, with their offensive line having to generate pressure with the guys that they have up front, and then the secondary having to step up with the weapons that they have. That's gonna be way more important than what Brock Party does. You know, I really like what brock Party has done early in his career, But he's a system guy.
Speaker 2: Yea.
Speaker 6: If you can defeat the system, you beat him.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: There's ways to win this game going up this week, and of course we'll talk about it mostly Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, taking calls tomorrow. But when we come back here on Talking Cowboys have one more question for Isaiah, and then we're gonna get to the smelly stickers we're gonna give away our players of the game. We're gonna put it on the helmet and we are going to give some.
Speaker 2: Smelly stickers away.
Speaker 3: After the Cowboys beat down the Patriots thirty eight to three of the Final in week four, we'll be right back with more Talking Cowboys right after this.
Speaker 11: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere tractors, combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, hater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 9: Are you ready to take coffee off your grocery list?
Speaker 2: Forever?
Speaker 9: Black Rifle Coffee Club is here to help as a Coffee Club member, You'll get your favorite coffees roasted package and ship to your door free of charge on your preferred schedule. Set it, forget it, and never run low on coffee again. Members also get exclusive deals on coffee products and discounts from partner brands. Ease your mind and let Black Rifle worry about your coffee supply. Go to Black Rifle Coffee dot com to join the Coffee Club today.
Speaker 3: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order.
Speaker 2: Plus.
Speaker 3: Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 8: Tod thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G. Fast reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 1: Five G requires compatable plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details to Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Back here on Talking Cowboys. This segment is brought to.
Speaker 3: You by Invisile Line, the official smile of the Dallas Cowboys, and also brought to you by the Dallas Cowboys Fan of the Year, presented by Captain Morgan, Isaiah Stanback, Nick Harris, Chris Beam in the back of Kyle Yeomans. Before we get to smelly Stickers, I want to ask Isaiah a question every day this week leading into this matchup, because I'm just curious on how it is from a mental standpoint for players going from a win like that where you're dominant, you control in all three phases. Thirty eight to three. Just take down Bill Belichick and the Patriots. You execute so well in week four, but then you immediately look ahead and you're looking straight at San Francisco, and this is not a game that will be overlooked. This is a game that's been circled for quite some time. On Monday. What is going through the player's mind today, whenever we're having this recording, whenever we're going through this.
Speaker 2: They're not gonna hit the practice field today. They have the off day tomorrow.
Speaker 3: What is Monday like in a week like this, when there's such a big game on the horizon.
Speaker 4: Get yourself feeling as good as you can, like literally, get your body feeling as healthy as possible asap because you know what's going to be a freaking bloodbath. You know that you're going to get beat the crap physically in terms of just of battling. And then you hurry and get your film done, You get your film study out the way. You hurry and get this game behind you, and you try to finish that off the first.
Speaker 2: Half of the day.
Speaker 4: You get your workout in, you do your treatment, you get your body, you know, swim, whatever else you gotta do to start feeling right, and then you start literally locking in on your next opponent because you know.
Speaker 2: There's a lot to study. There's a ton to study.
Speaker 4: You start looking for any cues that you can that's going to give you some form of an advantage. And you want to have as much film work done as possible prior to having your Wednesday meeting, your Wednesday morning meeting, uh, special teams, coaches, you know, personnel meetings. You want to have as much done as possible because once that scheme is presented to you, the game plan for the week, you want to already be ahead of the curve. And most of the time you go in there and you start trying to figure out, hey, what can I get from you right now before Wednesday so I can get ahead start.
Speaker 3: So when you when you were talking about film, you're looking back at Arizona.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you want to hurry up and look at the New England game.
Speaker 4: I mean you want to you beat the crap out of them, right, So you go and you figure out, hey, let me get my if I can get my grades early, let me get my grades early. You know, hurry up and review that because coaches honestly don't want to spend a lot of time on that. Typically that's what you're you know, your Mondays are four, you come in and get your film stuff done, and you get your reviews and you go over to watch the film, and then tuesdays your quote unquote day off.
Speaker 3: Would there ever be a game where you completely throw the film out in a win like that thirty eight to three where you say, listen, don't don't go look at that.
Speaker 4: You don't throw it out, but you you you don't spend as much time on it. Okay, Okay, So, especially when you have an opponent like the Sambrahan popping up, I don't want your focus on what you just did. You executed that, We knocked that out the park. There's some things we need to tighten up. Okay, here's a couple of clips of what we need to sure up going into this coming week. This is what we put on film, right, we expose ourselves in this regard. Let's go ahead and highlight this so that we don't have that same exposure going into this week, and then let's get done with it. Okay, Listen, we got a whole lot to talk about this week, right, This, this is.
Speaker 2: What we have to worry about.
Speaker 4: These are the personnel issues that are present. These are the schemes that are present. This is what they like to do. This is our game the last time we played them, right, the last few times we played them. This is what the commonalities that they keep presenting these you know, you start looking at all the analytics, right, they do a great job of breaking down the analytics versus this part of the field. They like to run this. They're like this personnel this percentage of the time. I mean, it's a lot, it's a lot that goes into it, but you start diving into it because literally, when you are prepared for a matchup, you're in the huddle and you're when you're super heightened, everybody's talking the same language. We get in the huddles like okay, it's thirty six Okay, you remember thirty seven percent of the time they're doing this right, or whenever we come out of living personnel, they're doing this right.
Speaker 2: Keep an eye out for this.
Speaker 4: And you get to the line of scrimmage, you look at what they're doing, You look at your teammates, you're like, okay, yeah, got it. Boom right, we're on the same page. Because we've we've already reviewed this so much. We've looked at the analytics, we've looked at the film. We know their tendencies and you know that you're gonna get kind of a curveball here and there just in the beginning of the game, but by the second quarter, we were all settling in. This is the time of the year now, we're settling in to who you are. That's what you are.
Speaker 3: And that's kind of what Mia McCarthy's always talked about the first month of the season is a lot of feeling. Yep, it's a lot of ebbs and a lot of flows of who you are identity wise as a team.
Speaker 2: He's talked about that not only.
Speaker 3: In the past, but especially this year being the case with some of these injuries up front and you're still trying to feel it out. I mean, San Francisco is one of two teams that are undefeated right now, and the two teams that are undefeated right now is are the teams that you're trying to catch. That's San Francisco in Philadelphia. Those are the only two teams in the NFL that have a four to zero record. Everyone else has a loss, so do the cowboys. But with that being said, I mean, you have a chance not only to find that ebb and flow and settle that down this week, but you have a chance for that benchmark of say, here's how we stand up to the teams we're trying to catch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I think for the most part, for the guys who have been here and the guys who have faced the forty nine ers in the past, you just pay back.
Speaker 2: Is absolutely is revenge. It's absolutely so. There's no way to suppress that. No. No, you want to hit him in the mouth, you want to hit him in a mic.
Speaker 4: And that's why I said, you want to get as healthy as you can, as fast as you can. Michael Parson is limping around a little bit yesterday. He should be in treatment all day long, Zach Martin, Get him in treatment all day long.
Speaker 2: Tyler, be autist. Go sitting a dog on cool tub. Get the hamstring ready to rock and roll, Tyler.
Speaker 4: You know, Tyron, Tyron, figure it out right. I don't care if you need to go get in a hyperbaric chamber. Do whatever you want, Tyron, Go find a hyperbaric chamber. Okay, drink water, eat all that stuff.
Speaker 2: Get healthy.
Speaker 4: The boys need you this week, my dog, You're be doing a good job, but this is going to be a grown man's game upstair in the trenches, right, So you need all your dogs. You need all your dogs. So do what you can to prepare yourself and get locked in. This gonna be a heck of a matchup.
Speaker 2: Can't wait. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Speaking of Dak Prescott and his press conference after the game yesterday, the very last question he was asked was what was the feeling, you know, walking out of San Francisco last week or last year with that lost in January? And he just kind of paused for a second and looked at the reporter and he was like, it's obvious you just want to piss me off going into this week. And I appreciate that. I do, Actually I do. I appreciate that. I appreciate that.
Speaker 6: So he's locked it, yeah, and then he walked away from from the podium. That was that was it for him.
Speaker 5: I don't even know if that was supposed to be the last question, but he walked away after that, and that was that was it. A lot of players ra asked yesterday when is the focus shift to San Francisco? The only person that didn't say immediately was Deron Bland, because he was like, I want to celebrate this.
Speaker 6: I'm not. I'm not looking at San Francisco No Tuesday.
Speaker 5: But everyone else is like, yeah, you know, it's it's start, it's now, the week is here. It's not too early, because it is, it's now. So Michael Parson's especially, he's really, he's really amped up for this one. It's gonna be it's gonna be fun, man, It's gonna be a lot.
Speaker 2: Of fun Sunday Night Football.
Speaker 3: This is the one that you've had, You've had circled for quite some time.
Speaker 2: As soon as that schedule came out. This was the first one you said.
Speaker 5: Yep, I think this was the first game that came out on the schedule right, like they probably were like it was a it was a promo game that they had done before the schedule release.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I turned on my TV last night just to go back and watch the game. I usually watched the game broadcast back when I get home, and I turned it on last night, and ever, the first thing that popped up on my TV it was a promo of Cowboys forty nine Ers Sunday Night Football.
Speaker 2: And Man yes, sir, hopping on this quick.
Speaker 4: Osce mccarthys's work cut out for him this week. In terms of managing emotions, we'll talk about that a little bit.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 3: I like that as a conversation. We do have to get the smelly stickers. Nick will let you start things off. You were in the stadium at at and T who's stopped out?
Speaker 5: I figure a certain defensive player. We'll probably get mentioned here by somebody, So I'm going to take an offensive player, right. And I was looking at this pineapple during the break, and it's a pineapple that looks like it's sitting on a stack of books.
Speaker 6: And what do books do?
Speaker 2: They teach?
Speaker 6: They teach they make you smart.
Speaker 5: And I think somebody who had a very smart day yesterday and played very efficiently was mister twenty eight for thirty four Dak Prescott.
Speaker 2: Ooh took Sandbaggan? What you what? I like that? You wanna go next?
Speaker 4: Well, since he took young Dak, I know where you're going on the defense side of the ball. Why.
Speaker 2: I need to look at some fruit here, buddy, Okay, yeah, find some fruit.
Speaker 3: There's some peaches that's just like grape scented stuff.
Speaker 5: I got it, strawberries, most amazing over here, I got it.
Speaker 4: Boom see that beamer, m see that right there is a very happy what is that a peach?
Speaker 2: Yeah it's a peach.
Speaker 4: Yeah, very happy peach has has the love in his eyes. This right here goes to mister Jake Ferguson. Oh, mister Jake Ferguson, seven for seven for seventy seven hot hand in a dice game, babe, leading the NFL in rezone receptions.
Speaker 2: He is the man.
Speaker 4: He is becoming Dak's tried and true, trustworthy guy, and he's becoming a very dependable resource in the run game and obviously in a pass game.
Speaker 2: For this team, they need a tight end to be tried and true. They have one. Shout out the old Fergie. So the hearts in the eyes of the peach there is. That's that's how he looks at Oh, that's how he looks at Dak. Absolutely interesting. Okay, so that's Jake Ferguson looking at Dak Prescott. There you go.
Speaker 3: There's the sticker right there on our cowboys helmet full of smelly stickers.
Speaker 2: Of course we'll get we'll get John tomorrow.
Speaker 3: But you can also send in your smelly sticker picks by texting the text line.
Speaker 2: I don't have the text line number in front.
Speaker 3: Of me, but if you have the text line number, send in your smelly sticker vote.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna give mine. With these these grapes. You see these grapes right here? What do you do with grapes? You pick them? Right that? That was incredible.
Speaker 6: Audio Isaiah stand back, ASMR, No.
Speaker 2: It was, it really was. You picked grapes. You know who had a couple of picks last night. Bang.
Speaker 3: You gotta give it to him. He was by far the player of the game. And I think all three of us could have given our smelly sticker to Dubron planned and it still probably wouldn't have been enough, because not only is he stepping in into a massive, massive role change, going from the inside to the outside and playing on the boundary, but he has stepped in and.
Speaker 2: Made plays significantly.
Speaker 3: Two pick six's already this year, three interceptions eight since he entered the league as a fifth round pick out of Presno State. Speaking of picks, I mean, talk about the value pick of the twenty twenty two draft. It might be Deron Bland all the way across the board, so credit to the front office, credit to him stepping up and continuing to do big things on that defense. But that's gonna do it for us here on Talking Cowboys, Happy Victory Monday, Cowboys Nation, enjoy this one for a little bit, but we're about to turn the attention to the biggest game of the year to this point, the Cowboys and the forty nine ers coming up this week on Sunday nine Football.
Speaker 2: We'll break it down for you as the week goes along.
Speaker 3: We'll have a Talking Tuesday Tomorrow eight eight eight eight five five two two nine seven.
Speaker 2: Give us a call.
Speaker 3: We're gonna be taking your phone calls throughout the show and we're gonna try and fit in as many phone calls as we possibly can get under early get on there early.
Speaker 2: You can give us a call right now for Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Storyline starts at ten am with Nick Eatman eight of eight eight five five two two ninety seven as well for Chris beam Isaya stand back, Oh man, Oh goodness, I'm.
Speaker 2: Gonna do that again for.
Speaker 3: Chris Isaiah stand back, Nick Harrison, Kyle Yeoman saying so long on a victory Monday, the Cowboys beat the Patriots, thirty eight to three.
Speaker 2: We'll see you tomorrow with more Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 8: This has been a production of dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 7: Cowboy