Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Waken Jake. As we are in tier list season and we are doing first base. This is gonna be a breeze right first base. Put the best hitter you got and let him catch the ball. This will be one of the ugliest tier lists we do this year. I am joined by Jolly Olive BBD and I think you know, we normally like to get some tiers in front of you. We have some concepts we've discussed. First base might blow some people's minds what we're about to stumble into because there is a pack of Lamont Wade our guy Vinnie p that I there is a middle tier of first baseman that I currently don't know how to slice up. Jolly, what was that? Was that a dance move?
Speaker 2: It's the only position I didn't get to play in Little league. Okay, so I'm a little biased against first basemen. They got to live dreams that I never got to live.
Speaker 1: First base is a nightmare.
Speaker 2: But it's a little messy. It's a little short guy, But I always wanted to try. I could pick it. If it was high, I can't get there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you didn't want that. I had a couple games and that was just a bad time.
Speaker 2: At least you got those get it first. It's just everyone's just looking at you.
Speaker 1: Luckily, these guys are tall. We will find out who the shortest player is coming up. Probably a Rise, Probably a Rise. He's listed. He had a nice Instagram post, him and his wife, a bunch of kids. Everyone is looking good.
Speaker 2: Let's spend thirty minutes on that.
Speaker 1: Andrew Vaughan, don't say that to me. We won't start there. Here's what we're gonna do normally. We we have the list, and we I think we have our S tier. There's been a couple names thrown out, but we're gonna do this traditional tierless style. We're gonna start off S tier ABC D, and then we're gonna separate as we go because I'll be honest, I'm a little frazzled. The S tiers kind of clear. There's a couple guys you can negotiate up or down and may maybe we will look at that.
Speaker 2: That's nice. The whole squad man you show out looks great.
Speaker 1: Miami Rise kind of has a see through shirt going on, like that's that's the vibe. That's what I want.
Speaker 2: Okay, he's still a padre right, that didn't change.
Speaker 1: We'll see by the time this comes out.
Speaker 2: I don't know, kind of flexing his wife, kind of big time half those slides. We're just her.
Speaker 1: We love that for her. So we're going traditional tierless s tier ABCD, and I think we can chew off the top jolly. I think we mutually agree that there's four that deserve to be at the top. I think there's one guy that could make a push for a solo one, but he doesn't have quite the resume yet. Would you like to dive in?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the way I'm sectioning this off is the guys that are either getting paid nine figures or are going to get paid nine figures as first baseman. Uh. The one who's going to paid nine figures is vladimirker Or Junior. This is his walky year. He's coming off a fantastic bounce back year, bounce back in the way that he was always good, but that was a truly great, elite caliber season last year. Nine ops, thirty bombs, one of three RBIs career one thirty seven ops plus he's going to be twenty six. He could get better, you never know, uh, And he's gotten better defensively, and we know how feared of a slugger he is. He will be the ball or the bell of the ball at next year's fore agency class. I think I had it right and he belongs at the top, no doubt in my mind.
Speaker 1: So I think, oddly enough Laddie with what he did last year. If there's anyone who has a claim to be on top top, it is Vladito. Yes, six point two war ninety ops one sixty six ops plus. I mean the way he finished last season, and when I say finished, I mean basically the second half of the year, finished sixth in MVP. I do think I think Gladdy grew up a little bit. He's turning twenty six in a couple weeks. Youth factor goes for him that there may be more in the tank or last season just might be the regular. He does have a career one thirty seven ops plus, which is lower than I think. It's lower than Harper. I believe it's lower than Freddy career, and it's lower than Olsen's career. So there's definitely people that would come on here and say Olsen should maybe be a tiered down. I think I think the two arguments that Bryce and Freddy are linked for life. That's just how it goes. Olsen and Freddy also linked for life. I think Matt Olsen's last year, you can make an argument a tier down. I think it was a weird year and the year before that, as you've noted, Jolly fifty four homers, one hundred and thirty nine rbs and six oh four slugging all at the NL.
Speaker 2: A better better than what Vladdie did last year.
Speaker 1: Matt Olson correct put it in context, Matt Olsen has played every game the last three seasons.
Speaker 2: And that matters to me.
Speaker 1: That's cool that, Yeah, I think I hope that the tierless next year, as Vladimir Guerrero Junior on a tier all by himself or maybe with another one of these guys like Bryce Harper's still new to first base. Yeah, how silly is that in the defense, Like he grades out well for a first baseman, which nobody grades out well for a first baseman. So that's kind of cool to see. And yeah, Matt Olson with a hot April could be on track for another fifty homer season. Also, Matt Olson thirty two point eight career war.
Speaker 2: Madd Olson's entered like an interesting conversation.
Speaker 1: I mean, he'd have to, he'd really have to keep it rolling until he's thirty five to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not saying that he's going to make the Hall of Fame, but I think his interesting conversation is he had one quote unquote down year where he was still a four or player, hit thirty home runs and played every single game, Like, oh, I guess he's not among the elite. Adilson's still really really good and he definitely belongs up here. So I had like that slight moment of like do we move him down? Because you can see a world where it's those three and it kind of looks right right, But Matt Olson definitely belongs up there.
Speaker 1: I think they all belong. I could see any of those players having a better year than everyone else on the list, Vladdie with the easiest up potential, and honestly Father Time and Freddy when does it happen? Thirty five hasn't happened yet. Last year the numbers ticked down, But when I say tick down, one hundred three oh ps plus, like they ticked down for Freddy Freeman. He hit three point thirty one the year before to eighty two last year got six and a half war.
Speaker 2: It's Freddy Freeman, like a first ballot Hall of Famer. Kind of feels like.
Speaker 1: Well, world series. I'll tell you what also matters, World series and being liked by the media. He's been MLB's media darling for eight years now.
Speaker 2: I think Freddy's the first bound Hall of Famer.
Speaker 1: Poppy and he was a d H didn't even.
Speaker 2: Play the field.
Speaker 1: Eh, let's leave that s here. We'll see if we need to circle back and separate anything I think we've done. I think we've done good there. Do you want to do the next tier or do we want to?
Speaker 2: I don't want to some of the bottom I don't want to do any of those. I know it's a disturbing mess. I have a couple pairings that I like, and then after that it's kind of out the wazoo.
Speaker 1: Tyler Soderstrom on the A's of course, please don't say that into the microphone had some nice numbers last year. Scaring people had some nice numbers last year. Jolly.
Speaker 2: I have Paul Goldschmidt and Carlos Santana group together. They got paid roughly the same money and free agency. They serve kind of similar roles. They're club first dudes who are a little bit on the older side, who can still hit at you know, league average above league average. I have them somewhere in the middle in a tier called your dad's old glove, your dad's old glove, your dad's old glove that he gave to you as like your first really good like you had your little league glove and now you have your first good glove to your dad's old glove. He's been using it for years.
Speaker 1: Man Carlos Santana turns thirty nine in April. Damn Paul is a young thirty seven and about to have a massive season. Uh okay, so BBD naturally put that in the Sea tier for now. We can call it your dad's old glove. I'll be interested to see if anyone we think deserves to be lumped in with them. And it's got a very similar contract.
Speaker 2: Open to discussion. Because Paul goldschmianth was in our second tier last year next to Bryce.
Speaker 1: Harper, Well Goldie took a step back, and we're talking about Matt Olsen and could he reach Hall of Fame and Harper Freddy like Paul Goldschman's got that sixty two point eight war in the bag and he had an eight hundred ops in the second half of last year. Does he find the porch a couple of times? The pin stripes? The pin stripes?
Speaker 2: What's look at Paul Golchmith's Sprayshart, Are you getting it? Did he go with any home runs like one opo home? You went for a homer twice last year?
Speaker 1: It's PPP prep season. A lot of the nerd sites do say he will pep with that porch? Well, he would have. I think he would have gained like three homers as a yank last year. We'll figure that out. Two years removed from MVP one. Yeah, and uh hey, maybe he needs to wipe the cardinal off of him just a little bit. Uh tell me, who is your favorite cardinal free agent signing this year? That's rude, blank blank space.
Speaker 2: That's what I was thinking.
Speaker 1: We are recording this February tenth, that should be noted.
Speaker 2: The Piaveta welcome, come on down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Mets.
Speaker 2: No, we don't need a picture to who to Saint Louis. Okay, he looks like a cardinal.
Speaker 1: What do you mean? No, he does. Let's see what the Olds do this year as they are fighting for ground. Paul goldschmid seven point four War, three point one War, one point three War. So there's a nervous side of that. Carlos Santana was kinda on that boat and last year just said, fuck it was bad. So we respect your dad's old glove. Let's see what gets filled in above them. Let's jump to the second tier. When we go from Olsen, Harper, Vladito and Freddy, I guess who's the first name.
Speaker 2: I think it's Pete, which is weird because I feel not one hundred percent confidence saying that, but I feel like he can't go any lower than that, right, I mean, he's the biggest home run bat on this list.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because it's twenty twenty five. Yes, you get paid in free agency for what you're about to do, you don't get paid for what you've done that. I think the two names that were the hot topic at first base this offseason, Pete and Christian Walker, both have their argument. Pete's going to get at least thirty million dollars to play baseball for this upcoming season, and if he plays well, he will cash in even more than that, or he's got an insurance policy for next year. Christian Walker got the contract everyone kind of expected, and it's the whole two way. He leads every defensive first base metric you could possibly look into while being a very consistent. But I haven't looked at Christian Walker's numbers. He was a hot topic of this free agency and then he wasn't ops plus the last three years one twenty one and he's won the Gold Glove all three of those years. His war has gone down per year. He will be turning thirty four on March twenty eighth. Is that opening day?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I I'm very interested to see. Arizona's a good place to hit. That's been a good lineup. He was very comfortable there.
Speaker 2: These two feel linked to they currently are. Yeah, they just feel like, like in the same way that like Freddy and Olson are kind of always connected. These two feel like they're gonna be connected even though they're very different players. Yes, like Walker's glove first and like very consistent offensively. Pete definitely not a glove first dude, but he has like the offensive volatility where like one year he could put up forty six homers and people aren't gonna be like surprised, you know what I.
Speaker 1: Mean, maybe this year I'd like that, you think so I'd like it.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: And Uncle Steve's got to get that check book out.
Speaker 2: I think he's good for it.
Speaker 1: What if he wants flatty pork dose.
Speaker 2: There's a DH spot in the National League.
Speaker 1: Now Pete to third. Okay, let's party the dos. I think those two begin this. The question is my one other name here feels wrong? Okay, but then you look at his page and he absolutely belongs to be next to some of these guys.
Speaker 2: But maybe not.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: I'm having a really tough time with Nathaniel Lowe. I think we all are at a really tough time with them. He's never been below the average offensively in his six year career. Last year he was a one twenty ops plus. He doesn't have the home run power that Pete does, and doesn't have quite the glove that Walker does, but he kind of feels like a hodgepodge of the two. I mean, he's definitely more doubles than Homer's.
Speaker 1: Won the Silver Slugger in twenty two, won the Gold Glove in twenty three, and last year he had a very Nathaniel low season, and.
Speaker 2: He just feels better than the guys that are going to be below them.
Speaker 1: Can I tell you, Okay, here's a weird sniff test. Okay, White Texas trade him.
Speaker 2: I think it's so Jake Berger has more years of control, and I guess they wanted to swap in one guy for less money. He was more years of control. But I do think that Nathaniel loves the better player get a little more powerful.
Speaker 1: I just signed John, they signed Jock, so that's your lefty DH replacement. It's great for the next I guess they got Burger at a good value. So I don't know. That's just been one that's thrown me off. And we're talking about you know, your network is your net worth? Wow, Christian Walker got the contract maybe plus a year than what people were expecting or I don't know. In the range. Pete was chasing AAV and blew his cover that he wanted to be a met, but he didn't get the full contract he was expecting.
Speaker 2: He will be the highest paid for his spapes in next year.
Speaker 1: Nathaniel Lowe was traded for Robert Garcia, and the whole thing throws me off. It was from California. Robert Garcia is from California.
Speaker 2: And Robert Garcia is good. He's got three nasty pitches. But it felt just like a years of control type thing, which is a good way to build your roster.
Speaker 1: And it was a team that was pretty desperate for bullpen.
Speaker 2: Health right, and the Marlins were dumb enough to trade Jake Berger who still had like tons of control. So, like, I get it from that standpoint. And this is about Nathaniel the player. Not really like him getting traded. It's just a weird discussion. Like I still don't really know why it happened.
Speaker 1: Maybe Robert Garcia is good, he had a negative war last year.
Speaker 2: I don't where do you want to put him?
Speaker 1: Jacob, So there's Pete and Christian Walker, sure lump together for life. I like Nathaniel Lowe. I'll tell you one that's tormenting me, Wilson Contrara's I hate these here. I don't know if he can play the position, but if you tell me the hitter, I like, go look at his offensive stats since and like these numbers, we'll probably get better.
Speaker 2: That You'd think he doesn't have to catch. You'd think, so does he? In the second tier of a position that he's never played. I think I draw the line there. I've never seen him play it. I don't know how it's gonna.
Speaker 1: Look well, like his bat's not that good, but it's good. I think we're gonna get old headed out like he's tier.
Speaker 2: He's a name value list. It currently kind of is name value list. So who's who?
Speaker 1: Nathaniel Lowe?
Speaker 2: Third tier is good?
Speaker 1: Wilson contrere is. I'm just gonna yell some names real quick, is there? I'm gonna yell every name. How about this, here's a fun exercise. Okay, every name that I'm currently looking at that's frustrating me on what their value is. Josh Naylor, he has an argument, Sure, he has an argument cosas yes and no, he's got to do it for like a year, but his stats are.
Speaker 2: But now he's got that full one sixty two and it's nice.
Speaker 1: Right, but he's got to do that for a full one sixty two, Like would you rather? Would you rather have a first base next year? Paul Goldschmid, Carlos Santana or Tristan Cassas, Tristan Trists and Cossas. So that's coming up. But I'm not even frustrated with that. I can figure that out. Vinny p might be too close to the sun there. That is what it is. We'll get there. Rhys Hoskins mm hmm.
Speaker 2: I'm a little lower on him.
Speaker 1: I am too, but also am I.
Speaker 2: It's the it's the leg injury, okay.
Speaker 1: Lamont Wade Junior on.
Speaker 2: Base God, I think he's like, I think he led first base in an on base percentage last year. I don't don't need second.
Speaker 1: Wilson and Treres I already talked about that. YONDI Diaz get rid of his slow start and he was a baller again. I think there there's some nerd stat that he was top eighty fifth percent tile and sweet Spot contest, Sage and the biggest hammer.
Speaker 2: Come on.
Speaker 1: And then Nathaniel low like, I don't I don't know how to separate these.
Speaker 2: So I've got some ideas. Sure, I think that we make the B tier the my brain hurts tier, and we just throw all these guys in there because they all have like a hitch right. Wilson has never played the position before.
Speaker 1: He's never played first.
Speaker 2: Casas doesn't have the full season. Nathaniel Lowe has just kind of been good, not great, And I don't mean that in a negative way. He's just been a solid, good first baseman. But but Alonzo and Walker have had great season.
Speaker 1: They can be game changers, right, game changer.
Speaker 2: Naylor hasn't played your position right, doesn't rack up war.
Speaker 1: No, I mean, did he had defense? Did he get boosted by Cleveland getting rid of some outfield seats last year?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, I forgot about that. That was weird.
Speaker 1: His numbers landed, They're fine. The thirty one homer stand out more than the ops plus the county. Okay, I feel better with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Defensively he played with three other like great defenders are like yeah, like I feel like otherwise bad defense where he'd have to be scooping more like, do we talk about he's not a great defender. I was worried there was gonna be a much bigger conversation for Josh Naylor to be up on this list.
Speaker 2: I don't think there is.
Speaker 1: He he slowed down in the second half last year. I didn't realize to what degree. In the first half last year twenty two homers and eight one six ops. He slowed down in the second half.
Speaker 2: So okay with him like me and Dalton. Both the dbacs acquired their new designated hitter, not their new first baseman, and he's their first baseman now, so we'll see easy.
Speaker 1: So let's let's all right, let's put those Okay, So who's up there. That's Wilson, that's Low, that's Cassas, and that's Nailer and then Vinnie. Who would you rather have next year? Goldie Santana or Vinnie Vinnie Vinnie. A part of me, I'm thinking that row is gonna become two rows. A part of me was just gonna say, like, make that into two rows. My brain hurts, Please make my brain hurt. Oh and that's Vinnie and Casus. Yeah, I'm open to that. Let's make two rows there. We're gonna need two rows.
Speaker 2: Because they also kind of feel like they go together.
Speaker 1: Cassas has just done more right, but he doesn't have a full season. Cassas has done it at a higher level. I should say not having the full season hurts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they both, Yeah, they're both. They're they're high in games. Is one thirty one and one thirty two for these two guys.
Speaker 1: They again, I'm an OPS plus guy nowadays. Sure, Cossas won twenty five ann he won six one twelve career. Who's won eighteen last year?
Speaker 2: Kaufman's tough.
Speaker 1: Coffin's tough.
Speaker 2: Fenway not tough fen Way, know it's tough.
Speaker 1: I might have just read the Rock stats. I was on Josh Naylor's page. Benny, where'd you go? There's Bennie Vinni's a career one sixteen ops plus. Yeah, this is gonna be He's twenty seven, this is gonna be his. I mean he's really only got one full season and that was last year.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying. They're kind of the same class, Like they're both young people are both really excited for what they can do, but also nervous because they haven't.
Speaker 1: Seen s get the full year and be a guy. Yeah, where does Lamont Wade go? Has anyone ever seen him play baseball? Honest question?
Speaker 2: Isn't he more an outfielder?
Speaker 1: Not so much as stop. I think he's a great picker and not much else going on Defensively. I know there's some nerd stuff about, like he hits velocity and spin both very well.
Speaker 2: His on base was one tick lower than his slug that's his game.
Speaker 1: He gets on base.
Speaker 2: He gets on base, that's valuable. That's extreme.
Speaker 1: Have you seen moneyball?
Speaker 2: I heard playing first base is easy. That's what I heard.
Speaker 1: The last two years, two hundred and fifty two games, he's gone on at a three seventy six clip proposal.
Speaker 2: Okay, Lamont Wade does not great out well defensively at first base and can hit. Do we agree on that?
Speaker 1: I think I can agree with that.
Speaker 2: Y Diaz does not grade out well defensively and can hit.
Speaker 1: I think I have another guy too, Luis.
Speaker 2: Arias does not it out well defensively and can hit. That feels like a.
Speaker 1: Group a couple batting title winners. There they.
Speaker 2: Are contact over you just talk to me out of Wade being in there?
Speaker 1: Now, Well.
Speaker 2: You totally did.
Speaker 1: Oh all three of them lead off?
Speaker 2: Do they really?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I kind of love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one one b hitting one and one something like that, one hitting one, one hitting one, one hitting one. Put that's above Goldie and Santana. Oh question Mark. The Olds are flying down the board.
Speaker 2: It doesn't feel right about them below. I think it's above. Who would you rather have?
Speaker 1: If I think, if we're being honest, I would rather have Louis Arise Yandi is Lamont Wade gets interesting, but every stat tells me I would if you could tell me Lamont Wade Junior could get on at a three seventy three clip in front of Aaron Judge next year, I would love Lamont Wage.
Speaker 2: And that that question is not who would you rather have on the Yankees? It's would you rather have on a baseball team? Like take out defensive issues, whatever construction of the roster, like who what what's the better player? I think the three of them move above, And it's it's an age conversation too, you know what I mean? Like fall off? They could, they could fall bad.
Speaker 1: There's an argument that Paul Goldschmid has already already pinky old, isn't it Yandy turns thirty four in August? That's okay, Cuban.
Speaker 2: I like the way we sorted that out.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, we have some things happening.
Speaker 2: We have a lot of tears.
Speaker 1: Good Wilson contraras Wilson. I mean, if he can catch the ball, he's going up.
Speaker 2: He caught the ball for many years of his life. Get a whole position named after it.
Speaker 1: If his offensive season is repeated and he's fine at first, I need to see the guy play first base. This is a guy that had problems catching.
Speaker 2: Can I just say this is the weirdest contract of the past five years is the Wilson Contrats Cardinals contract.
Speaker 1: Because they keep being mean to You're not our catcher and you're the reason we're losing. Actually, you will catch, though, and we're not going to trade anybody in the season, and then we're gonna let everyone go and we're gonna make you a first baseman even though you want to be a catcher. He smells of a trade.
Speaker 2: There's four years left on the deal.
Speaker 1: But if he hits and he can catch balls at first base.
Speaker 2: They need to full reset.
Speaker 1: I'm with you, that's how they reset.
Speaker 2: I'm with you.
Speaker 1: God, don't trade him to Seattle. And there's my Seattle Mariner shrap real, which brings us to Luke Raley some numbers that like him. I'm just gonna get Jonah bride on there.
Speaker 2: See, this is the problem with the bottom is that there's a lot of guys that have like one thing going from.
Speaker 1: Hey, let's let's clean up the bottom. I think Colt Keith hasn't seen him play the position. I haven't seen him play haven't seen him hit. I hope he has a very nice career. We thought we thought you were a Tree Sweeney last time.
Speaker 2: He did think you were.
Speaker 1: He's had a lot of appearances on this.
Speaker 2: We didn't mean that.
Speaker 1: Anyone want to go to battle for Spencer Horowitz.
Speaker 2: You could hit a little bit. I feel bad putting him at the bottom.
Speaker 1: I kind of do too.
Speaker 2: He's got after.
Speaker 1: Strum, all right.
Speaker 2: I don't know anything about Tyler.
Speaker 1: Watch ball. Whyika there is no time for this?
Speaker 2: Why did he have a one? Fourteen ops plus?
Speaker 1: It's pretty brief but still a lot of games. He's like he was a real prospect.
Speaker 2: His first round pick.
Speaker 1: Was Oakland a's hit. Damn, no time for this kind of true.
Speaker 2: Andrew vaugh Bottom kind of feels like we know who he is at this point.
Speaker 1: I wish I didn't I bought some Andrew Vaughn stock. Really I would love to get him anywhere else.
Speaker 2: Twenty homers, seven fifty ops.
Speaker 1: Damn really no.
Speaker 2: Nuts yr No. In my head, he had one in my head. It was twenty twenty one, but he was a rookie in my head.
Speaker 1: Twenty twenty two he was like legit good, which like these are good numbers, but as a twenty four year old, that's a very nice season in twenty twenty two for Andrew vaugh I thought we were building something.
Speaker 2: I mean, go ahead and make an argument for Andrew Bond.
Speaker 1: No no, no, no, no no. The bottom of this list Jonah Bride, Sorry, new friend, but yeah, like you know these young guys, you can talk yourself into Spencer Horrowich, Sure, maybe there's something in there.
Speaker 2: I think that might be a teer.
Speaker 1: Michael Toglia, Like he hit, he hit twenty five last year. He's a Spencer Steer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's Spencer. I have Shanwell and that young guys. You want to talk about conversation like what is he? Like?
Speaker 1: Does Cold Keith deserve to be with the young guys? He's had a full rookie year, slow starting good?
Speaker 2: Yeah, why is he?
Speaker 1: I thought the numbers were a lot worse. Okay, how about the second to last tier before the olds? Yep, put Cold Keith up there?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, hey, real prospect. He I didn't realize how close the league average the season got last year.
Speaker 2: So we're doing like a young guy's tier.
Speaker 1: Then, yes, these are guys that we have hope for okay, Like I'm looking at Chanel Januel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's another like high draft pick. They didn't sign a first baseman because they believe in him.
Speaker 1: Solder shrum Hive. Yeah wrong, right now?
Speaker 2: Another first round pick? Is this the first round picks? Tire these guys all first round picks?
Speaker 1: A first round pick?
Speaker 2: Come on?
Speaker 1: Cole Keith is a fifth round pick.
Speaker 2: Andrew was the third overall.
Speaker 1: I have some Andrew va on SoC and I'm still sitting on it.
Speaker 2: Who went after Andrew?
Speaker 1: Trade him to a good team.
Speaker 2: Do you know who went one and two in Indre Von's draft, Adley Rushman and Bobby but Jr.
Speaker 1: I'm still a Vaughn guy, Riley Green two picks later, j J. Bolda Carroll, I have Andrew Vaughn stock and it's going back. But maybe this is the year. Maybe this is the year. Like where does Michael Bush go? Man?
Speaker 2: Bush goes above these guys?
Speaker 1: I think, where do the Orioles belong with Michael? Michael Bush had almost three war last year, full season. Here's what we're doing, Top one hundred prospect. Here's what he goes with Vinnie and Cassas. Yeah right, I'd like him to make my brain hurt. Rights.
Speaker 2: Plus, he's he's the only one with a full season lefty right, Yeah, yeah, he does, he does. I think he has more war than Passquatch and he's only played one year.
Speaker 1: That's fine. He's still a top one hundred prospect entering last season.
Speaker 2: I think I'd rather have him over Louise Orias.
Speaker 1: That's interesting. I mean, Louis rises a wrench in every conversation, so I'm saying kind of doesn't play defense, has an argument for best contact hit or we've seen I'd rather have the guy that can also hit right. It starts getting into your team a little bit. And Michael Bush what if he gets better?
Speaker 2: Right? All three of those guys have the youth factor.
Speaker 1: The reason Michael Bush is a Cub is the Dodgers just didn't have room for him.
Speaker 2: Literally didn't have room on the roster for him to play.
Speaker 1: Who's in on Luke Rayley? Is that? You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 2: Is that how you normally start conversations.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was not popular at the Super Bowl. He feels like he belongs.
Speaker 2: With Oh my god, is he not an outfielder?
Speaker 1: He had one great year last year.
Speaker 2: Stats last year he's been good for multiple years.
Speaker 1: He's playing first base for the Mariners.
Speaker 2: That's so messed up that they would do that to us.
Speaker 1: By the time this is out, maybe they've signed Justin Turner and really will return to the outfield. But he's played. He's played a lot of first base in his life. Also, damn it, Luke Rayley is he in my brain hurts? It's a little bit, man, it's a little bit. I think his savant is also pretty at times. There's actually a dark horse position for him. I think Luke Rayley got some leadoff run last year.
Speaker 2: Let's check today.
Speaker 1: Let's check. Maybe I dreamt that the leading Okay, he let off. He let off like eight times last year, So I don't think three games started up there. My brain has that in it, but I don't know how to do anything else.
Speaker 2: I have him in my brain hurts. He's the epitome of my brain hurts. I didn't think about Luke Raley at all before this tier list, and I just discovered that he is.
Speaker 1: Now, do you brain hurts or please make my brain hurt? I mean, he's You'd rather have Luke Raley than Tristan Cassas. That is a lie.
Speaker 2: That's a lie.
Speaker 1: The test came back and said that.
Speaker 2: Was that's a lie. But that's a that's a name value thing. Dude.
Speaker 1: We're getting name valued pretty hard.
Speaker 2: We're getting name valued because Luke Raley is objectively, right now a better player than Tristan Cassas, which is a crazy statement because even I don't believe.
Speaker 1: That Luke Raley is six four two thirty five. Okay, like sprint guys, I was about to ask what sprint speed you've got on He's like NIF or something. What Grayley flies? Luke Rayley's a.
Speaker 2: Glitch eighty eightieth percentime ninety split. The difference, everything about him that I've learned in the past five minutes. It's made my brain hurt.
Speaker 1: He's up there, He's like a lot of center fields.
Speaker 2: And you owe it to Mariners fans? You do? You do? You owe it to Mars fans. You're so mean to them.
Speaker 1: This hurts my brain.
Speaker 2: You look like brain hurts.
Speaker 1: This is there's something beautiful about this, and there's something horrible about this. I know I have Yankee syndrome, but in my head, Goldie and Carlos Santana could have fine years this season. Yondy arise, I expect to have very strong seasons at what they do Wade. The expectations not there. But he gets on base, and that's how the Oakland Athletics almost won something. Barry Zito, Nope.
Speaker 2: Tim Hudson, no, think you older because Scott Hadiberg got on base, Sully.
Speaker 1: That reference was for my sister x Files, who's not even on the board right now. Why don't you say anything about Spencer Steer? Are you scared?
Speaker 2: I have no thoughts on him. I have him. Okay, do you want to hear.
Speaker 1: My you have? Where would you have? Have you had had him?
Speaker 2: Your brain's fully broken thought, here's my tier at the bottom. You're righty, at the bottom, below your dad's old glove. I have Jake Berger, I have the two Orioles first Baseman, I have Steer, and I have Hoskins. I have no idea what I'm calling this tear, but they kind of just feel like.
Speaker 1: It feels kind of wrong for him to be below the old But now I feel like we're getting rude to Santana.
Speaker 2: Now we're getting really rude to Santa.
Speaker 1: You can almost pencil Jake Berder and for thirty.
Speaker 2: Homers you look like you're having a horrible time.
Speaker 1: I am, I mean, I'm maybe is it something about like how are you hitting thirty homers? And there's part of this that makes me just want to do it as a thirty person tier list and just do like a gun to my head. Who do I want at third base next year? Or first base? Jonah Bride your last And I'm sorry, dude, and I don't know you, and you're probably a nice cat. See your first round pick? Why do I care?
Speaker 2: He was?
Speaker 1: Yeah, twenty third round pick, Jonah Bride. Don't look at.
Speaker 2: His ok Here's here's what we're doing, and this is final. Okay, here's what we're doing. We're putting Bride and Vaughan together with the whole hodgepodge of the young guys who haven't really proved it yet but we're like weirdly interested in. So it's like Jose Miranda Spencer, Horowitz, Michael Tolia, Sean Well, Colt, Keith, Jonah Bride, Soderstrom, Vaughan. That's a tier. All of them are.
Speaker 1: Just a tier one line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one line, because that's that's what it is. That's what it is. Any one of them could break out and become great. But you have no idea because all they've done is had like either brief stretches of greatness were great two years ago, or they're just a high draft pick. So we expect them to be great, but he can't really say anything else about them. And if we keep dwelling, our brains are gonna combust.
Speaker 1: I like Nolan Shanuel, you're on your own.
Speaker 2: Kid.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be twenty turns twenty three on Valentine's Day.
Speaker 2: Let can we make this tier? Let someone be mad about this? Just let someone be mad about it. That's it.
Speaker 1: I mean, almost every fan base should be.
Speaker 2: Let someone be mad at this. You're mad about it, I'm mad. Yeah, you're mad about this, and you gotta let Andrew Vaughn go. You're hurting.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna bring up Ree Hoskins, right y?
Speaker 2: I think so?
Speaker 1: All right? How about this? Okay, Reese Hoskins, and Jake Berger currently deserve each other.
Speaker 2: Okay, drinking buddies, not the name of a tier. They just look like they would be drinking buddies. They both work at a construction site.
Speaker 1: Reeese one of the nicer guys in baseball. Jake Burger has to be. Name's Jake Berger? Who else belongs with them? Pardon me? Has all of these guys together, and it's like, you can reason there's a chance at thirty homers. Are we being too harsh on Reees for one year on a bad leg?
Speaker 2: I'm worried about the leg going forward decently, worried about that.
Speaker 1: The numbers didn't land in an awful spot.
Speaker 2: No, he kind of had like it's a down year after a leg injury. He had goldies year offensively, but he didn't have anywhere closer to that defensively, which is why I'm harding him the numbers. The numbers are pretty similar.
Speaker 1: Like, okay, I'm not even gonna say that sentence because that would just blow up the whole thing.
Speaker 2: What's that? No, you gotta say?
Speaker 1: Come on, could Reese have a better year than Wilson?
Speaker 2: I don't think.
Speaker 1: I don't think so. I don't think it's baseball. Anything can happen. Okay, Jose Miranda's on the bottom. You can't look at him anymore. Had the most hits ever consecutively that your cousin made Hamilton great? Yeah, how about that? Yeah, it gets overlooked pretty quick. You think my job's cool. Cousin Hammy Zach saw it this weekend. Ever, tweeted Zach, who's not on the board currently, Spencer Steer has to go with the pile at the bottom. The four names I'm looking at, well, Spencer Steers out them. The three names I'm looking at are Jake Berger, Rhys Hoskins and both Orioles. But as one man.
Speaker 2: And I have those three and Steer as a tier above the young guys.
Speaker 1: You're putting Steer above. Yes, you have some Spencer Steer style.
Speaker 2: I do know about.
Speaker 1: I kind of like that.
Speaker 2: I think Steer is going to get better now that he has one position. If you look at his baseball reference, each of the last two years, he's played six different positions. I'll say he was good back to back twenty homer seasons. I think he's a good player. I think he deserves to be above the bottom tier for sure. Who would rather have next year Spencer Steer? Paul?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. Maybe that's the point I don't think, Paul. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I feel like I've made you lose love for Paul.
Speaker 1: Yes, kind isn't what I expected. No. I mean there's there's something to being a certain level of reliable. I think Paul and Carlos should bring for one more summer slash one of them probably won't. We know they can pick it, Yes, Steer, I know there is a guy who like hasn't been good at any position. I kind of want to rename that one more summer question mark. I'm okay with them because I think that's what they're looking for, Just one more summer.
Speaker 2: One more summer for old times sake.
Speaker 1: So, babes, you've cleared the board. On that page, every available to us is on the board.
Speaker 2: I have them. Yeah, but now we can.
Speaker 1: Do some So now we have to finagle.
Speaker 2: That was my rationale for the BOTTB tier. Let's just get him on there and then we'll figure it out.
Speaker 1: Top tier is what it is. It's very good baseball players, Okay, Pete and Christian Walker. Do they deserve their own tier over Wilson, Contraras, Nathaniel Lowe, Josh Naylor, Grayley? What what did we just don't land?
Speaker 2: He absolutely belongs up there.
Speaker 1: I cannot say that. I can't say that with a clean conscious. I cannot Where do you want to put him? I'd put him a tear down, make my brain hurt. I mean, okay, Jolly, you want to play games.
Speaker 2: He's not mad.
Speaker 1: I've got a.
Speaker 2: Game, Mariners. Make you mad. I understand this.
Speaker 1: Hey, you play a lot of out of the park baseball. You're putting together a team I do. Hey, Jolly, you could have and money doesn't matter. Let's say your owner, Steve Cohen, would you rather have Luisa Rise or Luke Rayley for first base to be your first baseman in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: I'm picking Luke Rayley.
Speaker 1: Dude, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Luise Rice cannot play the position.
Speaker 1: Yandi Diaz or Luke Rayley.
Speaker 2: Yandi's a little more interesting because I think Yandi's a little better defensively. He's got a little more popp.
Speaker 1: What do you do? You have Luke Rayley being prime John Olrood at first ball?
Speaker 2: But I'm saying, this is a guy that played corner of field well, so I have to imagine he plays first base well.
Speaker 1: I mean, he shouldn't even be in this conversation.
Speaker 2: Yes, I thought he was gonna be in the left fight tier.
Speaker 1: Why you should be mad at the Mariners rated out poorly at first base last year. That's all I'm saying. Yeah, okay, I'll get over, Luke real, Jake, it's your show. I'm getting over.
Speaker 2: Let's move him down. You move him down.
Speaker 1: He's moved down for now.
Speaker 2: One being bading one. That's right.
Speaker 1: Paid. Pete and Christian Walker be on their own tier. I think the tops.
Speaker 2: I think so because they just got paid like it. I don't see any of the well we know for a fact controllers didn't get paid like them. He got paid less. I don't think Nailor is going to get paid like that, And I don't think Nathaniel lo is gonna get paid like that.
Speaker 1: Pete and Christian Walker can be game changers for your season. Christian Walker plays the whole year offense and defense. You're looking at thirty homers, five war Pete Alonso. If he has a Pete season, he can put up a forty five homer season. You feel that, yep. I think that separates them from everyone else currently, So I'm okay with that, I think.
Speaker 2: And then like you can even just play the resume game too, Like, how many great years do do Pete and Walker have compared to the guys below them? Say more Contrarest gets unfortunately snake bitten because he's never played the position. If he had two years of first base, even one year of first base, he'd go in my second tier. But he's never played the position.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I guess it'll be interesting. Bryce Harper. Bryce Harper has changed the tone. Yeah, first basily I got to see it. First first base became the oh he actually first base isn't easy to play, and Harper's kind of been like I figured it out. Let's see what Willie does. So Wilson Contreri's Nathaniel Lowe, Josh Naylor. I feel okay with that.
Speaker 2: I think I feel okay with that too.
Speaker 1: Costas is a tough one for me. I think he's really good. He's never played what's his most games played.
Speaker 2: In a seasons?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What was that last year's War?
Speaker 1: I don't know how his defense is going to rank out. I know his foot speed is slow, and trade him. I don't really know. They were begging the Mariners to take him. It feels like they got Luke.
Speaker 2: Then you're gonna say that I knew the next word.
Speaker 1: And Marrier's outfield is stacked. I have I don't know what he's of respect for Luke Raley while being offended by him.
Speaker 2: I have him below this tier now, who Louke Crayley?
Speaker 1: I think so?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I like what contreres can be at first base. I know what I'm getting from Nathaniel Lowe. I kind of know what I'm getting from Naylor. Does he need to go down for you?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Are we overvaluing him?
Speaker 2: I don't think we are at all.
Speaker 1: Well, Luke Grayley doesn't hit lefties at all.
Speaker 2: Good exposed?
Speaker 1: What? Okay, how much of a gap should there be between Josh Naylor and Jake Berger?
Speaker 2: Oh? Right, now, there's a massive gap between.
Speaker 1: Currently on our tier list. There's a massive gap. Jake Berger was real good. I drove by his childhood home.
Speaker 2: Listen, man, I'm just I just make video essays. Okay, So I asked me the hard hitting questions.
Speaker 1: Naylor has a leg up on Burger.
Speaker 2: Jake Berger's here last year is not that Good's the league average bat and worth worth less than replacement level at first base, and he played one hundred and thirty seven games. I don't feel that bad about him being that low, But I do appreciate your question about me. I just I try to talk.
Speaker 1: Things through in one second half. That's what helps me.
Speaker 2: It's a name value thing.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: It exists.
Speaker 1: Cassas, Passquatch, Bush, and Luke Rayley, all lefties, all young, all with a chance to be very really good.
Speaker 2: Is gonna be thirty. I think Raley goes down. Those three are such a tier. Really just doesn't. He doesn't fit. He's a little bit older, he's not a first baseman. He's in a corner outfield.
Speaker 1: I mean, I can't tell you he's going to be better than Lamont Wade.
Speaker 2: And he's a platoon player, and maybe he should bat lead off. That's the thing for me. Really is a platoon player. The other three aren't. They're gonna play every day, they're every day first baseman.
Speaker 1: Those he's batted leadoff he has.
Speaker 2: I think that's okay, And you hate the Mariners.
Speaker 1: Mariners. I like that. We kind of have a letter egoing here.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, kind of. It's a long last.
Speaker 1: Leg, okay, Wilson, Nathaniel Naylor, Cassas, Vinnie and Bush.
Speaker 2: That feels much better.
Speaker 1: Something I can come up with something fun there Arise Diaz, Wade and now Luke Raley is with them.
Speaker 2: You want to move no.
Speaker 1: Name value is something I'm okay with that tier.
Speaker 2: It hurts to have name values. I think the most egregious here because you think of batting titles and you think Arias has been like the gun for higher batting title guy. But the book is out on him being a one tool player. He's a one tool player, and that one tool is elite, probably better than anybody else in baseball. But he is a one tool player.
Speaker 1: It's true. It might be better than anyone else's tool. Right, a nice tool that my way gets on base Luke Rayley, what can he do?
Speaker 2: What can't he do?
Speaker 1: The Olds searching for one more summer Goldie and Sandana. Yeah, I mean this starts. This part starts to get a little tricky because, like I'm looking at the tier below that Burger. It kind of depends your team's construction. If I needed if my offense needed thirty homers, I'd I'd rather have Jake Burger than Goldie at this point. If I needed a two way, seven hole hitter, I'd much rather have Paul gold right. Santana has some similar arguments. He crushed lefties last year. He played gold glove defense. But yeah, I think I'm Okay with the Olds tier. I'll tell you what if I did this before free agency, I would I'd much rather have Nathaniel Low for a lefty reliever.
Speaker 2: Nationals made off like Bennetts and that I feel like people won't realize that.
Speaker 1: Just kind of forgot to do anything else this winter, A little scared of this. That Mo the right move. Okay, so that's Berger, Hoskins, the Oriel Orioles hybrid human which is a great player, but his two people. If we're gonna knock Luke Rayley's platoon splits, Spencer Steer you love.
Speaker 2: I like him, solid player. I always like the Reds and Thews on me down.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what that bottom row Miranda Keith, Shanuel Soderstrom. I've become a Joonah Bride guy. The numbers are crazy. The numbers are kind of nice. Andrew Vaughan, you know how much of that stock I've had totally barely got mentioned. And he hit twenty five last year with a two point two war.
Speaker 2: I met him. He's a massive human being.
Speaker 1: Is he a bottom of the guy.
Speaker 2: We might have to split up the bottom round. That's the next conversation.
Speaker 1: That's the problem. Pop. I don't know how you do it. I don't know the difference.
Speaker 2: I am perfectly comfortable leaving everyone.
Speaker 1: I think. Unfortunately, that's the answer. I would just if I was a Rockies fan, okay.
Speaker 2: Which you are? Which you are? Mind you.
Speaker 1: Totally. It has some stuff he needs to work on. Yeah, and that's fine. So does everyone in the big strike cats right, there are some strikeouts. Oh, batting ages low, he's hitting homers, which, hey, we like those. But negative war that's cool, Okay, earn your way, earn your way. What would you change? At this point, I just I'd rambled up and down the Is there anything you would change? You're a tough time I am, I am, I I'll something. I'm happy I've landed on because at first I was looking at this first baselist, I was like, what the fuck? And I still obviously am to a degree. The depth at the position is a little impressive. Jose Miranda can be good, Colt Keith can be good. Shanual can be really good. So I've gone through all these names. Horwitz had some nice numbers, and it's getting penciled in to be like I like that. There's not a couple of these positions you look at like shortstop, I feel like Urcia and a couple of those names. It's like, it sucks we have to even talk about there's no upside. It's this is what you're gonna get, and that's okay. These guys have serious upside.
Speaker 2: I don't think there's a bad player. Is that crazy to say.
Speaker 1: There's not a player on here that if they were on your team you couldn't talk yourself into. Yeah, I mean it'll turn all these players have hope, which that's that's kind of cool. I mean, Jake Berger could in that lineup as things click.
Speaker 2: Like get on yourummy eyes.
Speaker 1: Reese has a okay, Jake Burger just feels let's let's rename these s tier. You want the nine figures.
Speaker 2: I have it as nine figure man. Yeah, that was just an easy separator from me.
Speaker 1: Like chasing each other's wallets. You get paid, I get paid, I get paid. I'm about to get paid.
Speaker 2: I got a new home, old home for my second tarer. But we can think of something better.
Speaker 1: I was thinking. I think like new money because they both just signed a deal. Yeah, there's a uh something about doing free agency right and doing free agency wrong. Come on, good cop, bad cop?
Speaker 2: Uh good owner owner.
Speaker 1: That's that's first basement. I want to circle back, right, Jolly likes the new home.
Speaker 2: What is it? There's something better there, there's something better.
Speaker 1: I'll come back to it. My brain hurts, and please make my brain hurt. Well, let's get let's Cassus Vinnie, Tristan Vinnie and Michael Bush Pasquentino and Cassas Lefty futures. Give me one sixty two something like that.
Speaker 2: I think it's give me one sixty two. Give me one sixty two because that was kind of the uniting thing with all of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like that one be batting one. That's something. One more summer.
Speaker 2: I like that, this one, the second, the last. I'm out in trouble with. I'd love thirty Homers.
Speaker 1: A lot of good first basemen.
Speaker 2: That's also good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, some something with thirty homers.
Speaker 2: It's like, have they all done it? I mean, I'm sure the Orioles combined I have done it. But Steer hasn't. Steer's been twenty back to back.
Speaker 1: What I need pop to pop? Like none of those guys are playing defense.
Speaker 2: Right, need pop to pop like Hoskins needs pop Like twenty five homers out of those guys is almost disappointing except Steer. Steer's kind of the odd.
Speaker 1: But I like need pop to pop. I me to Steer if he did a thirty homer season, we'd be like, Steve might fly up. Yeah, if he can pick it, need pop to pop. That's just a fun word sentence to say, Pat, you're mad about this. I want to change that. We've got a lot of youth and potential. Uh potential almost like first base is stacked, Like I don't know, potential in both directions. Like if I'm an Angels fan, I'm not happy.
Speaker 2: If I'm a fan of anyone on the spots.
Speaker 1: They're happy with.
Speaker 2: Bottom tier, but not in a bad way.
Speaker 1: No offense.
Speaker 2: M now that that would.
Speaker 1: Read no offense. Your bad team should like this guy?
Speaker 2: Yeh.
Speaker 1: I mean Twins are the only ones that can get loud there. I think Tigers, your MEDA team should like this guy. Likes this guy.
Speaker 2: Mid team high upside, which that leaves.
Speaker 1: That Alonso Walker tier is Walker boris no right? Uh oh, I don't know Martini sports management. Okay, Martini. I think it's just like something about like a favorite son. Yeah, I was, I just went to like the graduating class, like they just hit free agency together and they got compared.
Speaker 2: Like long lost brothers.
Speaker 1: Brothers, yeah, misplaced brothers.
Speaker 2: Two halves of an elite first baseman.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the glove and the stick, Yeah, the glove and the stick figure. All right, geez, let us know what was horrible. I think if you're a baseball fan, you just you just went for the ride with us, and I think you understand why.
Speaker 2: I think this is a good list.
Speaker 1: I think this is a good list. I could see if I was a fan of the bottom row, I would be a little hot to trot the bottom two rows.
Speaker 2: Feel like you're happy there.
Speaker 1: The depth of this position ended up actually making me feel better because I got scared when we were We're doing the second second tier of first basement and I'm thinking about Wilson Contreras. I just I don't know, and hopefully that comes true for Cardinals fans in baseball. Let us know where you think we went absolutely wrong. Let us know where we went right. Thank you to Jolly Olif, thank you to BBD, and thank you to Uncle Dan Jack's a Production, to Patch Productions, John Blie Media and Workhouse Media.