Speaker 1: I am all in again.
Speaker 2: Oh, let's you. I Am all in again with Scott Patterson and iHeartRadio Podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I am all in Podcast. Want to eleve the productions. iHeartRadio Media. iHeart Podcast. We are at season three, Episode six, Take the Deviled Eggs air date November five, So yesterday was the what the twenty third anniversary of this episode? November five, two thousand and two, And by the time you're hearing this, it'll be even older. Jess confesses to getting a new job to pay for his car, but the town is upset because the incident with Rory's car and that the accident, Rory and Lorie ten cherries Baby Shore and find out way too much information about Christopher and the town. Lonner stages a podcast a protest, not a.
Speaker 2: Podcast, but a podcastiled into the future.
Speaker 1: He tiled in the podcast a Protest, A protest Director Daniel Babbitt, writer Daniel Palladino, and I am joined today yet again by Brandon Brash. Hello Brandon, how are you?
Speaker 2: What's happening? Scott? I'm great?
Speaker 3: How are you?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 1: Good? Good? You're from Saint Louis. You're best known for your daytime soap operas eight hundred episodes, Hospital, five hundred episodes Days of Our Lives? Did you have something against Days of Our Lives? You did three hundred less. We'll get into that. You might recognize him as Jamie who dates Paris Geller for the first three episodes of Gilmore Girls. Now Brandon. We start off the Shenanigan's here with Gilmore Girls town meeting, Taylor's holding a town meeting, and Miss Patty's date with Jesus keeps interrupting it, which is kind of funny. I discussed the town Loader and him holding a protest in the square. He doesn't want him to do it. Taylor does. The reverend and the Rabbi, which was a very funny scene with Taylor allowing the town Loader to protest in front of the church. I really enjoyed that banter between the Rabbi, the priest, and Taylor, and.
Speaker 2: It was great. The Rabbi's hot dog line was just was pretty spot on. Yeah. Classic.
Speaker 1: So this episode definitely shows the quirkiness of Stars Hollow, Brandon, who's your favorite Stars Hallow resident in this episode?
Speaker 2: In this aside from Jesus, you mean aside aside from hey zeus my favorite stars Hollow resident. Gosh, that's a great question. It would have to be. I don't know. I enjoyed. I enjoyed the bit at the end with the deviled eggs in the car and Rory and Lorelai getting getting some revenge on Jess, poor Jess, by the way. But uh, I would have to say, because I think it was Rory's idea.
Speaker 1: Maybe Rory Okay, after the town, meaning Okay, just gets the Brandon just got a car, just got a cart car after the town, just pulls up to Luke's in a car. It's a beater, you know it's it's a real beater. But but Luke wants to know where he got money, where he bought it?
Speaker 2: What grown man though, did not dream of doing what Jess did right, just saving up and buying a beater of a car and having the wherewithal to fix it. God knows, I don't, but I've always wanted to be that guy. It's like, yeah, I need to, Uh, I need to. I can't even think of a car park, that's how terrible I am at fixing cars.
Speaker 3: You know what.
Speaker 1: I Yeah, continues to be skeptical. Yeah, there was always that guy in high school that pulled up in a car that was like emitting so much smog that it was like people would run away from it. And he was very proud of that car.
Speaker 2: He was. Yeah, jeez.
Speaker 1: So Luke continues to be skeptical and asked Gypsy about the car and how he paid. How Jess Payton even goes through Jess things to find out more. Yeah, letting Ury get into an argument with just about his new car. Uh what do you think about that little that little argument with oh the.
Speaker 2: One that uh yeah, that they that they kind of pick with Jesse.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: I was so curious because obviously it's been over two decades since I've watched an episode of The Gilmore Girls and been on The Gilmore Girls, so a lot of stuff has fallen by the wayside. But so Jess, Jess and Rory were a couple before this, right, And did Jess cheat on her? Did he must wronged her in some way? To dress the response, it was the car accident with her car.
Speaker 1: The car the Dean built for Rory.
Speaker 2: Oh see that hurts. See now I like the deviled eggs scene even more. Yeah, was it warranted? So did did just take responsibility for the accident or was he like, not my circus, not my monkey.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Yeah, I still can't get that image out of my head. Does it really matter if he took her responsibility?
Speaker 2: No, I'm just I'm trying to justify the anger, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Uh, well, you know it's like teenage girl anger.
Speaker 2: It's teenage girl anger, and it's TV.
Speaker 1: So this guy, this guy is making out with this blonde chick right in front of me, right in my face, seemingly every day. Yeah, and then he destroys my car and then has the nerve to park this thing, just piece of junk, in front of front of Luke's Ever.
Speaker 2: That's that's pretty brutal. Yeah, that's that's pretty brutal. I'm not gonna lie, right. You know, I did a lot of crappy things in my twenties, and I don't know if I would have done that, So shame on you.
Speaker 1: I think I think I think that Jess definitely loses the car game, yeah to Dean and Dean. Dean wins the car gaming, he wins the boyfriend game. Jess seems to be, you know, distracting Rory so much with his looks and his coolness and his brain and now this junkie Now, now he comes up with this junkie car. Really, I don't know, he kind of he kind of really gets kind of lambasted.
Speaker 3: Yea.
Speaker 1: In this episode, Jess knows Luke went through his stuff. He finally tells him he's been working at Walmart. Luke is impressed, and he just then he just rides him. He just he just seizes them.
Speaker 2: So I have a question for you about that, if you don't mind, yes, please, And I mean I don't remember what I have for breakfast on Saturday, so I don't know if I expect you to remember this. But my favorite scene of that whole episode was the reveal of just working at Walmart and the banter between you two. I thought it was brilliant. I thought it was fun, it was natural, it was it was effortless. So my question is, was any of that improvised? Oh no, how you were? You were letter perfect on that?
Speaker 1: Oh no, you don't improvise in this show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, see I did. I only did. I only did three three episodes, so I don't know. But it was so good. It was like I want I would have watched an hour of that conversation.
Speaker 1: Oh when have you ever seen Luke having so much fun? That guy didn't have a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that was it.
Speaker 1: He was either like very stelic and kind of like you know, down, not down, but just shut off, cut off. Yeah, yeah, and intense looking, or he was you know, ranting about something. But he was rarely happy, right and this is this is and that it shocked me too because it's like, hey, you know, he looks really happy. Yeah, because he's having a good time totally. And I think it was just a great opportunity for Luke to I don't know, deep in the relationship somehow. I think he was so thrilled that Jess wasn't you know, hadn't committed a crime to get the money, and he was actually like maybe his influence was working and he was gaining some responsibility and he got a second job and maybe this for just so it was all relieved and happiness and you know, now I've got you know, like my little sort of you know, rent to son here. Yeah, but it was it's nice to see him light and lighthearted.
Speaker 2: And yeah, it was a great scene.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you. On the way home, from Sherry's Ror and Laurli obviously devil egg yesh car. Right, should Luke trust Jess Moore at this point? Do you think I think?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think I think after the whole you know, I'm working two jobs and I save to get this car. I didn't do anything illegal under the table, didn't win it, you know, didn't win money gambling. Yeah, absolutely, absolutely, And.
Speaker 1: Just at the point that he appears to be turning his life around a little bit, this is when he is the least attractive to to Rory.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, girls love the bad boy.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's a lot of he's a conformist now with a car.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so he's boring all of a sudden to Rory Brandon.
Speaker 1: Do you remember your first car? Yeah?
Speaker 2: It was a Ford Probe. What a name for a car, right.
Speaker 1: Robe, Rob, Yeah, yeah, not a verb?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What was your first car?
Speaker 1: My first car that I that I purchased, Oh, that I purchased her?
Speaker 2: That okay.
Speaker 1: My first car that I purchased was a Volkswagen Beetle.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 2: What color it was?
Speaker 1: It was baby blue? Beautiful and I should have painted it, but but I just I don't know. It was like a perfect car. Yeah, perfect air, you know. Yeah, And it's just you know, stick shift. I drove the hell out of that thing, man, and it just never broke down, and it just it was just you know, it's just my little car.
Speaker 2: Love it. Yeah, better than my Ford Probe let me tell you. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: I didn't really have a choice of the color because I bought it used obviously, but man, it was it was a it was a honey. That thing just was like in perfect condition. Nice all right. Rory gets invited to Sherry's baby shower. She admits that she's been in contact with Christopher apologize Laurel I think she doesn't need to go, and she felt like she was betraying laurrele I to begin with. So Rory decides to go to Sherry's, but as Laura's dropping her off, Sherry's these Laurel and invites her in. She's being very persuasive and Laura I reluctantly agrees.
Speaker 3: To participate in the festivities.
Speaker 1: They're in Christopher's apartment. Cherry basically remodeled the entire apartment away from Chris style. Laurrela has been awkward playing games, and they find out a lot about Sharon Christopher, he has been unbelievably supportive, and then she thanks him for convincing She thanks Laurai for convincing Christopher to be involved during Suki's wedding weekend, involved in their relationship. So Morrela has a meltdown in the bathroom because she hates hearing how great Chris is.
Speaker 2: So was she still hung up on Christopher?
Speaker 1: You know, did you find this to be a little awkward?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Right, I think for the same reasons I found it a bit awkward. It's like, this is a stretch, you know, rehabilitating a guy who has, you know, consistently let down these two. Yeah, and then here he's in a completely different situation that we're not really involved in it all. We haven't seen any of this. We're just hearing this through dialogue. We haven't had the experience of it yet to sort of forgive him, right, And yeah, that's why I thought it was. It was difficult, Right, it was difficult scene, I.
Speaker 2: Thought, Yeah, I thought it was. And again, I don't have a lot of the backstory because you know, I came out in season three, so didn't I don't know anything that went on before that.
Speaker 1: I here's some thoughts to artists for you, as if we need any. Harry's to be saying all the right things about Christopher. But Laurel and Road know another side of him, which I think we've been trying to explain to our audience, who already knows far more than we do. Do you think Laureli is jealous because she didn't get Sherry's version of Christopher when she was pregnant.
Speaker 2: That was my first thought, absolutely, that's yeah, she did not get that Christopher.
Speaker 1: What does she have that I don't?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Nice for one alphabetized CDs?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, what does she have?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: It was like a neat thing. It was orderly, she's orderly.
Speaker 2: It could have been you know, he could be Christopher could have been one of those you know man children, right, and you know, can't pick up his toys, and so Sherry's right behind him, you know, just picking up making him some banana brea, you know, come by.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Maybe Christopher just needed a mom.
Speaker 2: He needed and that's who that's who Sherry is to him. Whereas Loralai was not ready willing or able to play that role, probably not willing to play that role because who wants who wants to be their partner's parent? You know, it's a whole other podcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, how hard really would it be to attend the NeXT's baby shower? How would you handle this? Like the male male version? How would you handle that?
Speaker 2: What is the male version of a baby show?
Speaker 1: I don't think it's a bachelor party?
Speaker 2: I guess you.
Speaker 1: You wouldn't go to the bachelor party? Would you?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Would you be close enough to that dude his circle of friends to be invited to the party? No?
Speaker 2: No, And even if I were, I don't know that I would want like why why? Yeah? She should have gone, she should have gone shopping.
Speaker 1: Right, you know what goes on with those things? And then you go back to her and say that now I have the AMMO to get you back because guess what mm hmm, Mayor Dinkle, guess what, mayor the mayor? Did you know?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Right? Nothing good comes from nothing good? Nothing good can come of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So you think you think Sherry's being too pushy when it comes to forcing a family with Rory and Laurel Iman. Did you hear all it? Did?
Speaker 2: It did seem forced when she said that, you know, oh, I've already. Yeah, I mapped it. You know, I know how long it'll take for Rory to to walk the two point six miles or whatever it is. Yeah, that was That was a little much. That was a little like, I'm trying to be your mommy and and uh as someone who was. It was interesting watching this because I last time I watched an episode of Goo More Girls, I was in my twenties and now I'm in my forties and I'm remarried, but was a single father. So imagining myself in Lorelei's shoes with some dude right flipping the role, reversing the roles, some dude just stepping in newly wanted to be my daughter's father, I'd be like, no, man, yeah, and I'm not coming to your bachelor party.
Speaker 1: Right exactly, yeah, right, the protest, I believe that was Dan Paladino as a birth that was Okay, I think it was Dan. I think it was.
Speaker 2: And do we ever see him again?
Speaker 1: Does he in the you know, he was in the pilot episode walking out of the diner the very first scene, okay, or the second scene, the first scene inside the diner. We see him leaving the diner as as Laurel eyes walking in Okay, and Dan has been in I hang a couple maybe several Okay.
Speaker 2: So it's like the Larry David Easter eggs on Seinfeld. The damn Palladino's of Okay makes sense. That's awesome.
Speaker 1: He's creating lore. The the protest is about to start. The crowd gathers in front of the church. That's a nice little towny thing. The town owner tries to hang the sign up, but it rips in half. We can't see what's on the side, and they wonder what the hecks he's he's shouting about apparently starts with an arm right, and Jesse sees. This is where Jess sees someone that egged his car. Luke points out that that's Paprika, So that's gotta be double X.
Speaker 2: That's that's a good observation.
Speaker 1: By the way, is a very as the person who cooks. Yes, the protest fails. I thought that was pretty funny Rory and Laurel I walking by just and telling them they were they were home all night.
Speaker 2: So many alibis, yeah, just unprompted. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Overall, what did you think of the episode.
Speaker 2: I enjoyed it very much.
Speaker 1: I had.
Speaker 2: I had several laugh out loud moments again, that scene with you and Milor you Jess in the in the apartment, with the Walmart conversation. It was great. I would have watched again. I would have watched an hour of that. I enjoyed it very much. I enjoyed watching Gilmore Girls knowing I wasn't gonna be on the episode. Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Yeah, So let's talk a little bit about you.
Speaker 1: You're in three episodes MS boyfriend, Jamie. Do you have any idea what you were in for? Is Paris Love Love interesting? I mean, I know you read the scripts, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no.
Speaker 1: I that first day on set.
Speaker 2: Oh it was. It was terrifying. It was absolutely terrifying. So I went to I graduated with a batchel of fine arts in theater, and so I you know, I could have moved to New York and been on a Broadway show that day and known exactly what to do, how to do it. I was not prepared to hit a mark. I was not prepared for any any of the process of filmmaking, none of it. And so I show up to set and they tell me to get settled in my dressing room, and to come out when I'm settled in. I didn't know that meant like put your stuff down and go to makeup. So forty five minutes later, I hear a knock at the door, like what are you doing, dude? I was like, Oh, you told me to settle in, So yeah, so I drifted over to makeup and got eventually got on set, and I mean, not my finest acting moment, for sure. I was terrified.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 2: I was like, I nailed the audition because auditioning was easy for me, and then getting on set was like all of these things that I had never heard about or seen before. Really as far as like in the eyes and the shoes of an actor, it was. It was intimidating, to say the least.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, what was it like doing your scenes with Lisa Will? Did they do my chemistry? Did you guys do a chemistry check for the audition?
Speaker 2: No? There was there was no chemistry test. No there was. I think there was just an audition and then a producer's session and that was it. I booked the job. Uh, And no, we didn't meet until we showed up for work. And yeah, Liza and I hit it off. Immediately. I really enjoyed working with her. There was a natural kind of banter there and it was a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Had you watched any episodes with her before? Did you know what you were walking into?
Speaker 2: I had no idea what I was walking into. This was before I think YouTube, This was before streaming, so it wasn't like I could be like, Okay, I'm gonna pull that up and watch an episode, right. So I was told to speak quickly and I basically just applied all the notes that I got in the audition for the day.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, Paris and Joyle are divorce. Now on the revival, you think you got a shot something else? You're coming back?
Speaker 2: I would I would love nothing more than to come back. So whoever was listening, yeah, I would love that. I would love that. It would be great.
Speaker 1: So you have over.
Speaker 3: This.
Speaker 1: This is thirteen hundred episodes that you did on General Hospital and Days of Our Lives. Did the quickness of Gilmore Girls? Now? I know I already know the answer this question. I believe that you thrived on the Gilmore Girls. That in correct. Stop me if I'm wrong, Because you were such a veteran on soap operas, Because soap operas they do ten pages a day, minimum, don't they. They do even more than that.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: So it's like it's like coming on to Gilmore Girls was probably relaxing for you, given the schedule that you have to deal with every day on a soap opera. Correct.
Speaker 2: Well, yes, but uh, this was my first job. Gilmore Girls was my first job.
Speaker 1: You had, you had, you hadn't, Oh, this is no job.
Speaker 2: The daytime didn't come till five years after Gilmore Wow. So no, it actually it was great because Gilmore Girls as a first job is kind of like a baptism by fire right. Oh, there's everything moves very quickly. It moves quicker than any other primetime show I've ever done. And it was great because, yeah, you have to show up and commit and know your lines backwards, forwards, upside down, and so yeah, it's it definitely paved the way for a much easier foray into daytime. And I mean there were days where I just myself would have thirty forty pages of dialogue, no joke on Days or on General Hospital. Yeah, because those shows shoot about a show and a half a day, showing a third to a show and a half, so it's over one hundred page either day.
Speaker 1: They do one hundred pages a day, yes, oh, good gosh, yes, oh and most of the time, Scott, you get one shot, one shot if the words come out and they make sense and no one fumbles.
Speaker 2: Egregiously, you're moving on.
Speaker 1: I'm just this is stunning.
Speaker 2: It's crazy, dude, it is. There's nothing that prepares you better for any other role than a daytime show.
Speaker 1: Having okay, now, having gone through twelve hundred episodes, you think you would have walked on the Gilmour set salty, seasoned, ready to rock, no big deal, like, just go ahead, hit me with your best shot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, oh I got eight pages today, okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Wow what a bummer, you know, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Wake me when it's over, you know it's yeah, it's my gosh. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh man. You know your problem is you're not You're not very much fun.
Speaker 2: You're really I know, I get that a lot. I have no friends none.
Speaker 1: It's been it's been wonderful catching it up with your Brandon. I wish we had time. Thanks for the laughs, thanks for the injury, appreciate it anytime.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me. Really is you got it?
Speaker 1: Buddy, and to everybody out there, remember Holidays Made Here. Go to the Warner WB Studio Tour dot com website get your tickets for Holidays Made Here. I'm going to be there every single day December eighteenth to the twenty fourth, and December twenty sixth through January fourth. Christmas Day is off. They're giving everybody a day off to celebrate Christmas. That's a nice of them, I thought, so I'll see over there, Warner Brothers. Holidays Made Here. Get your tickets. Best fans on the planet. Let's celebrate this holiday season live and in living color. Thanks for all the support and cards and letter keeping coming and we're in lead. We will follow.
Speaker 3: State see.
Speaker 1: Everybody'll forget. Follow us on Instagram at I Am All In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com