Speaker 1: One of your classmates teammates contemplating retire Lebron Lebron.
Speaker 2: You want to you want to get you get your doll, get your let me get.
Speaker 3: Your Yeah, go there, go ahead, give me that, Give me that all my life.
Speaker 4: Grinding all my life, sacrifice, hustle peg Price won, Slice, got the brow all my life.
Speaker 2: I'd be grinding all my life.
Speaker 4: All my life, the grinning, all my life, sacrifice, hustle Peg Pryce one Slice got the Brons sat all my life, I'd be grinding all my life.
Speaker 1: Hello, welcome to another edition of Club Shaha. I am your whole, shining sharp. I'm also the propriet of Club Shah. And the guy that's stopping by for a conversation and the drink today is an NBA All time great.
Speaker 2: He's a three time NBA champ.
Speaker 1: He's a Finals MVP, a thirteen time NBA All Star All Star Game MVP, eight time member of an All NBA team, three time member of the All Defensive Team, member of the seventy fifth Anniversary Team, two thousand and nine scoring champ, Olympic gold medal medalist. He's the Miami Heat leader in points, games, assists, still shot made shots taken. His number three is retired by Miami Heat and Marquette. He's an Emmy Woman, New York Times bestselling author, executive businessman, host of the game show The Cube on TBS, A model once voted NBA's best dressed player. Father, philanthropist, husband d Wade Did I get it all in? Bro?
Speaker 3: I was looking he was a gonna come through the door.
Speaker 1: I ended up going. I was like, who walking through.
Speaker 2: The whole card? Relieve anything, y'all? D Wade? How you doing?
Speaker 1: Brother?
Speaker 2: Thanks for stopping by.
Speaker 3: Now, thank you for allowing me to come here.
Speaker 1: Man, this has been a year to make it. I saw I DM you a couple of years ago. You say, hey, I'm gonna get to you, and I'm gonna get to you. And then I saw you at the premier of Redeemed Team. I said, Bro, did you forget about me?
Speaker 2: Said?
Speaker 1: I forget about your A. I got some things going on, but I'm gonna get to you. And then you hear, let's do this time. So I appreciate it. I appreciate you getting it man.
Speaker 3: I'm great. That's that's the easy thing. That's easy thing, right, I'm great. And then everything else after that.
Speaker 5: But uh man, I've just been living life and I've been I've been learning how to live life differently than the bubble of the NBA, which we all know is you know when you know when you play sports, you know you in this bubble.
Speaker 3: It's a great bubble.
Speaker 5: And so the bubble got popped a little bit four years ago, and so just sudjusting to life.
Speaker 1: Before we get started, Let's have a toast. This is my Kanyac Laportier. Lest toast your career, Hall of Fame, career, one hall of Famer to another. And my Kanyac, you have a wine a wine seller.
Speaker 3: All the best, bro, thank you, and he sent me.
Speaker 5: You send me this to my house, got this beautiful glass and everything. So everybody out there when you send gifts.
Speaker 3: M hmm. Okay. I was going with my new rags. I took it off in the car, really take it might still got the lines on it. I was like, I ain't even I ain't gonna do that. I ain't gonna do that.
Speaker 1: You were a first ballot, unanimous hall of Famer. What does the Hall of Fame mean to Dwayne Wade?
Speaker 5: So I've been thinking about this because you know, we all have dreams of places we want to be. And even in the midst of those dreams, I can't say you don't believe it more you do? You just you put a plan together, you and you go attack tack it. And so once I got the call from Jerry Colangelo and said you are in the Hall of Fame, Like I got that call, right, like, I just took a moment just to like to myself, Man, I just was like, in a way.
Speaker 3: Right, like I know who I am, Like I've.
Speaker 5: Been living with myself for forty one years, right, I remember, you know how I grew up. I remember my dreams and my hosts and sent them out loud, and how many people told laughed them you or told me that wasn't And so to be able to be like man, forty one years old, I've accomplished everything in a game of basketball that I could ever dream of. And to be able to kind of top it off the way the way that I'm able to when my kids, being older, understand a little bit.
Speaker 1: Hall of fame is the ultimate validation.
Speaker 5: It's the validation of it because it's the it's the entire it's the entire body, your entire body of right right right, and they say when you get done your entire body of work, that you deserve to be with the best. And so before it was the top seventy five, before I knew that was possible, which is incredible. The Hall of Fame was like, all right, when I get done with this career, I need to be I.
Speaker 3: Need to be in that.
Speaker 5: I want to be that first ballot right now. I want to be that first battle ballot. Y. You know, I'm not saying that about second, third, fourth, because you know we all have our own route. But for me, I was like, I want to be that first back.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So, when.
Speaker 1: When you were a kid and you're growing up in Chicago, you're like, okay, with the NBA at the forefront, did you say, you know, I just want to do something to take care of my mom.
Speaker 2: Was the NBA always at the front.
Speaker 1: Of your mind?
Speaker 3: The NBA was the only front.
Speaker 5: Like I played football, I may have played around with, hey, I want to be a I thought I wanted to be a cop, but I really didn't. I was scut of police and so I was like, oh, but I like the I like the badge, I like the outfit. When I was a kid, I might have told my mom I wanted to be a doctor, in a in a cop just because I thought those were the things that she was going to support me in me telling my mom as a five six seven year old kid, Hey mom, I'm gonna be the next Michael Jordan. I want to go play for Chicago Buys. That's not realistic in my community. Being a cop is realistic, right, And so, but I always wanted to play an NBA because I grew up at the perfect time with basketball and the team that the city that I grew up in, Chicago, Jordan was that the It was.
Speaker 3: The hype, Eric Jordan Scottie.
Speaker 2: Did anything else matter?
Speaker 1: No, Like I.
Speaker 5: Feel so lucky now, Like when when when the documentary The Last Dance came out, I just feel so lucky to like I was a kid in Chicago that knew about all these stories that everyone knew about, right, and so I was going back on my mind, like I grew up on these stories before it was the social media or things went viral. Dennis Ramin was down in Chicago going viral right downtime, you know what I'm saying. And so Chicago Boys was everything my dad put the ball on me in my stepbrother's hands when we were young and basketball became everything.
Speaker 1: Right, You're going in with Dirk no Whisky, Tony Parker, Greg Papa. You had great matchups against Dirk. You played against Tony Parker NBA Finals, beating one. You grew against Pap a lot. What does it mean to go with like like, man, dirt. Everybody knows that dirt brought in the stretch. When you see that one legged step back is him. You see Tony Parker, the guy that can penetrate and use the float game to the excellent Greg Papovich ain't nothing needs to be said about him.
Speaker 2: Do you do you think.
Speaker 1: About like, man, hey, I got I got a pretty I got a pretty nice class.
Speaker 5: I'm going there with Oh well yeah yeah, I forgot about power for everybody else that's not Paul.
Speaker 3: I told Pa said, black community is Paul.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is power. Yeah yeah, you just dropped it. Hell yeah the way you.
Speaker 5: Paul Gasol, Pow, Becky Hammon, so many others, and so if you know anything about my career, Shannon, the individual is great. Right individually, I have to work for everything that I that I wanted and I got but the team is where I succeeded, right, right, that's what my career when you look at it everything, it's like he was on these great teams right where it's the Olympic team, where it's the team of Shaq Well Lebron with all these guys and so to be on to be able to retire and then to be able to go into my next team or my next family would be the Hall of Fame team, Right, I mean, I'm looking like, Yo, what other Hall of Fame crew that looked like this?
Speaker 1: That's that's that's I remember telling the guy, this is the Hall of Fame is the ultimate fraternity. It's so it's so select. If you if you a capita, not to disrect them. They got ten twenty thousand members. If you are to make a side five you're a cute dog, you got twenty five thirty thousand. If you an althle sigma you aka.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: Think about how many men have played and how few have that jacket.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you're very elite.
Speaker 1: Now there's eight billion, there's seven billion, eight billion people in the world. It's only about five or six hundred they got a jacket like yours.
Speaker 3: So I'm ready to play, and I ain't. I don't even know what sport I'm ready to play.
Speaker 1: I'm just I'm getting warm up here. I'm like, yeah, that's about it's fighting. You see. You don't got me high up?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 2: What would it be?
Speaker 1: You see a lot of a lot of organizations with their great players. It's not just enough for them to hang their jersey in the arena, to put its statues outside. You see, Dirk just got a statue. The Lakers are with Kobe and Shock and all those greats. What would it mean for d Wade to have a statue outside the Miami Arena.
Speaker 3: That's a tough question for me, man one, because.
Speaker 5: Yes, when you get downe playing your game, when you get done playing this game, you you're hopefully the goal is to become a statue, right right, Like you want to play and become a statue right right, because the greats have a statue. Michael Jordan's had a statue, and so yes, I want I want those accolades because I saw others have them, right, But it's also a part of me too, that's like, that's that's man given. It could be taken away by man. I don't like getting things that can be taken away by man, and so I don't celebrate those and I don't look for those because it's temporary, right. But you know, so if it's given to me, I know I earned everything that is giving that is to.
Speaker 3: Come, right, I've earned it already, and.
Speaker 5: So if they decide to give that to me, I mean, it would be amazing place where people can come to the arena to Miami and see it and see it.
Speaker 2: It's all something about being the first.
Speaker 5: It will and being the first will open up the floodgates for your d statue, right Lebron statue, Chris Boss.
Speaker 3: Statue, a Lines of Morning statue. You start building this legacy.
Speaker 1: Getting no statue. I don't know, Pat Radigo, did that happen?
Speaker 2: But we talked about that, which so.
Speaker 1: When I was reading that you purchased a minority share in the Utah Jazz and I'm like, why he Miami Heat great? Why didn't he apports us sharing that? Why go way out there? How did how did d Wade Wade County Heat legend go across country and purchase a share.
Speaker 5: In a franchise relationships business opportunity? You know, at the right time, for me, you know, Miami and I sometimes you got.
Speaker 3: To step away from you know, the.
Speaker 5: Career, right too close to the career, too close to not getting some of the things that I wanted, not getting some of the things they wanted. And for me, I wanted to step away and be able to build and work on our relationship, which I think we've continue to do. I wanted to be able to to support the Heat without feeling that anything, without without feeling the obligation when I'm feeling this whatever I felt in the midst of the business of the game, and I needed to get rid of that. And so I would have jumped right back in it if I would have came back into the fold, because I would have been once again that same mindset, what I'm not doing, what I'm not getting, what conversations I'm not a part of it.
Speaker 3: I want to root for my team.
Speaker 5: I want to support Jimmy, I want to support you d I want to support Spot without feeling any way that I felt before. And so for me when it came to basketball, when it came to like getting the opportunity to learn what that side is like, I felt it was better for me to learn with someone that was that I built a relationship with it.
Speaker 3: I'm closer with from a business standpoint.
Speaker 5: Because this is business now. This ain't bas this is now business. And so I don't have a business relationship in Miami with the ownership making not a business relationship. I have a business relationship with Ryan Smith and what we're doing, you know what we've been able to do in this small period of time.
Speaker 2: I could be wrong, Correct me if I'm wrong.
Speaker 1: Does d Wade feel he gets the respect and the appreciation that he deserves from the Miami Heat?
Speaker 3: What do you mean from who in the Miami Heat?
Speaker 1: Heat is a brand? He really is two peoples in pat Rock, Okay, because you didn't leave temporary. Normally, the historically great players don't leave vir free.
Speaker 2: I mean something happens, and I.
Speaker 3: Think something happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, check me if I'm wrong.
Speaker 2: I'm looking.
Speaker 1: I'm sitting back having been a next professional athlete, and I'm saying, man, this man he took less money to get Lebron. He's taking less money and less money, and you're telling him take less money and we're gonna go get KD. Take less money. We're gonna go get X Y M C. Take less money. Okay, I done take less money. You didn't get any of those guys.
Speaker 2: What you boy? What you got for your boy? Now?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I had that mentality at one point. I'm grown now though, that's his business. It's a cold world, right, and so a lot. Did it make you feel at the time, Oh, it sucked.
Speaker 1: I left.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I went through championships Wade County and and I left right, and I left for you know, obviously a few different reasons. But it hurt, yeah, And so I believed I drunk the kool aid. Like most of the young players come in. They drafted me. This is family.
Speaker 1: He coach my city. It ain't yours. It's not yours.
Speaker 5: And when it's time to make a decision, the business had to make a decision. And unfortunately for me, the decision that I wanted them to make at the time I wanted them to make it, they didn't make. And so it affected how I felt about everything that I put into what I was told I came in. I'm a grown man now, I understand this is business, and so I don't feel a way. I will not allow that to I cannot allow that to stay on my shoulders. Let me carry it like a backpack because I learned so much in Miami, so I can't just leave with the negatives because the positive ill way the negatives. Even though the negatives you know, yeah, I mean stafle in my bank account, man, it's definitely my BANGK account. But like it's still things in a sense. But the sting is helping me in business, it's helping me in life. So as much as I like the positive that I learned in Miami and all the things that helped me become a man, and all, I got to take the other.
Speaker 3: Things that come along. I heard a little bit too to come along.
Speaker 5: With it because these things as well, it's helping me become a better businessman. It's helping me ask different questions, it's helping me go into things.
Speaker 3: A certain way.
Speaker 5: And so it's a lesson out there for everybody, right, and it was a lesson in it for me. And so I have no ill attend. I come in that arena and I'm who I am when I'm the same person I am outside arenas who I am inside with everybody, because I appreciate my time there.
Speaker 1: How I have organizations been able to convince the fans that whatever they do is business. Whatever the player does is out of greed, selfish motivator.
Speaker 5: I don't understand that at the PR for the organization, they got the best PR.
Speaker 1: You lead you being greedy, they do it. They did what was best for the team. What about my team? What about the way team?
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, I have no idea how that's like, that doesn't make sense, right, Like you can get traded, no phone call, no nothing. You find out on social media and you're gonna get your video and everybody gonna stand up in chair. Right, but let you leave in free agency, and wat's what happened when you come back right from most guys.
Speaker 3: You're gonna get boomed.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we talked about and so it's just a PR. It's just it's the way it's spent. It's the way it is, right, and it's we can come out and we can cry about as much as we want, right, but that's just the way it is. And so now the players got controlled in the way that we have, the way that the players have control because it's still ran the owners still, yeah, we know what it is. The players have more control now, right, and now you see the one likes the way the players are so ain't no win, Ain't no win from either side?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: When you get in the business, how do you approach the business? You mentioned Ryan Smith, you're in business with him. How do you approach the business aspect like you do? Do you approach it like you did the basketball asp you put that kind of time, that kind of effort, that kind of energy, because I'm sure you to be great, d way, you know this. You gotta eat sleep, breed basketball. So now do you eat, sleep, breathe business?
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 5: I don't play basketball no more so my life, besides being a parent and a son, and a father and a husband and all these things, business is my life, right. And so, as I like to tell people, is I've been spending so much of my time trying to become a Hall of fame athlete. And in the midst of that, you have so many people that are put in place to help you alone, and there's so many things that you don't learn and you don't know. And so when I retired, I didn't know much about business, right. I didn't know much about all these things that I'm a part of in business. So I took some time and say, all right, well, let me start learning, and so I need to learn how to invest.
Speaker 3: You'll invest just because it sounds good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's your man.
Speaker 5: And so when it comes to business, when it comes to a Riot Smith and these certain individuals you tried to link yourself with, I want to link myself with people who want to want to teach me, right, Like who's thirsty? Who understands that I want to learn and you're willing to teach me. You're right to say, come on in this right, open this.
Speaker 3: Book up and let me show you.
Speaker 5: And so those are the partners that I look for that I look that I look at because I know I don't know everything. I ain't been to school in twenty years, right, I ain't been in school in twenty years.
Speaker 1: But when you were there, it was like it wasn't like you were going to get a fire.
Speaker 3: I agree the way i'd be like broadcasting a journalists.
Speaker 1: But you're right, but you haven't been to school in a while, so you really haven't had to apply yourself like you're having to apply yourself now.
Speaker 5: Right, And so I yes, now I know that I can take the things that I learned in sports and I can use those same tools apply them to how I wake up in the morning, how I work out in the morning, how like all the steps that it takes, because I had those same steps to try to be great basketball. And the hard part is we want to now you want to, like I want to be I want to I see magic, I see I won't.
Speaker 1: See I want to see it.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh, Kevin, just soda is coming for a hundred man. Oh this like and and not like in the hate like, oh, like that could be me, because.
Speaker 1: That's how I look at it. Any time I see somebody do something like, man, that could be me. I wonder how you let me ask you this? This is what I really want to know in business? Are people willing to help you in business? Because like in basketball, were guys willing to give you information that could help d Wade become a better player. So are people in business willing to give you information like guys on the court, like guys in the NBA.
Speaker 5: Yeah, once they realized that I was a player, so once they took me serious, Okay, business the same thing, once they realize that you're serious about this, right, and it's not.
Speaker 2: Just something right, like.
Speaker 5: Like people that have way more money than you and I that's not sitting here. They don't have a lot of time. You get a meeting with somebody, you get fifteen to thirty minutes. You don't get three out of the time is money today time is money, and so they need to know that you're serious. It's like the same thing when it came to sport, right, and so I try to be I try to be serious. I try to walk in with the knowledge and the information and questions and questions and questions and questions because I know I don't know everything.
Speaker 1: Right, you're the host. You were talking about camera. You're like never the million years that I think I was going to be, No, but here we are.
Speaker 2: What was it like? What made you have? What?
Speaker 1: How did you come up with the idea and say, you know what game show? That's what I'm gonna be.
Speaker 3: Definitely not like that. No, it happened like this. Okay, it was doing COVID. We on the Zoom. When I retired, I got into TV. I did T and T for three years.
Speaker 5: I had a production company, fifty Knife in Prairie that I started with Wonder Media, and so they came to me, We're on the Zoom with the whole team and they're like, hey, we got this amazing concept of the show called The Cube that's been feminine the UK. I believe at that time it was ten eleven years and so we.
Speaker 3: Talked about the show.
Speaker 5: I got a chance to look at the thak, I got a chance to go look at all the youtubes and I was like, man, I love this show.
Speaker 3: I want to be a executive producer. This is great.
Speaker 5: So we shook hands on EP before we got off the call. Eventually they said, oh, and we would love if you can host, and I was like me, I started sweating up.
Speaker 1: Executive producers like you know.
Speaker 3: And and then I So I took a few days.
Speaker 5: And how it works is this if I'm scared to do something, I ain't talking about like bungee jumping scared. I'm talking about something that's attainable or something that I want to do, Like I like, I actually want to challenge myself. But when I retired, the first thing I did was I took I took a voice lessons right because I knew. I was like, man, one day, I may I may have this, I may be in front of the camera. I will have a microphone in my face. Let me learn how to project my voice. Let me let me, let me take this uh, this Chicago tongue that I have, let me learn how to get through my words right. And so I was already prepared and preparing myself for an opportunity.
Speaker 3: But when it came, I was scared.
Speaker 5: And then it took me a couple of days long, as like, you can't be scared, and so I said, I'll do it.
Speaker 2: As if everything you thought it would be.
Speaker 3: More, I actually didn't think.
Speaker 5: I like it as much. I enjoy getting an opportunity. I spent about three hours per episode with each contestant, each family, and I get a chance to sit there for three hours on it, and one get to know individuals that I will.
Speaker 3: Never get to know, right.
Speaker 5: Two I get to you know, to be able to help people get over this this fear. I see fear when they in Q, I see nervousness. And so this is a time whereas a leader, I get to step in. I get to lead. So it's so many different things that you take from sport or you take from your life and in the show, and that three hours that I'm sitting in front of them, I'm trying to help them accomplish something that that I know is way harder than they think it is, right, they don't know what the game is really like. And also too, it's gonna change communities, it's gonna change their lives, right, And so I have an opportunity to to be a host of a game show that you're gonna see is gonna change people's experiences, but it also has the opportunity to change your life. Ten thirty fifty thousand dollars change people's lives. And so for me, man, it was like, I want to bring joy to families. I want to bring joy to you know, to living rooms when this pandemic ends. And that's why I jumped into the Cube. And I'm lucky that we on our second season. TV has brought us back and hopefully we keep going.
Speaker 1: For those that haven't watched the Queue, what's the concept behind it?
Speaker 5: So the concept is you have probably sixty seventy games or versions of and they all and they all can take place inside of this queube. Right, It's a plexiglass. It's this big plexiglass that looks a little different than this and inside this queue, which brings its own like once you go in that door closed. It brings its own level of like, okay, everything got small right, right, right, cloth now I make clothing. Now my breathing is a little different, right, And so it just brings its own different challenges of all these different games, right, it's individual games. It's games where you you tag your teammate in, y'all got to come in, y'all got to do it together, right. And the hard part about it is it may be a game, and I just explained it like this. It may be a game where you sit up here and you got a ball, a piece of paper up and let's say you got to throw it in the garbage camp.
Speaker 3: You say, I can do that the way. That's not hard shot?
Speaker 5: How many how many lives are gonna take you to do that? How many times are you gonna try to throw.
Speaker 3: It and make it?
Speaker 5: It may take you four Right now, you've lost four lives, and so to be able to play this game, you get nine lives, but you want to got you got seven games?
Speaker 3: Seven games? Not as I could do it.
Speaker 5: You may spend four lives on one game on a thousand dollars. And so the precision that you gotta have the ability to be able to have no ego, because it's some games when you come in at queue that you are not good for, which your partners may be. It's certain games that I know that you gotta that you got a blind phone, you gotta walk through these standing cone your shoulders too wide, you can't do.
Speaker 3: You got to type in somebody else. So man, I just I love it.
Speaker 5: I love being able to sit across from individuals that I never met, and by the end of that three hours like we've connected and hopefully I've done my job as a host to help them reach their goal.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at some of your hosts in the second season, your wife Gabrielle, you and your La La Shaq, mind shopper.
Speaker 2: What what is the guest? What?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: What? What was Shaq like? Because you know Shack think he could do everything.
Speaker 5: Shaq bust the cube open, he fell through the back of the cube.
Speaker 3: I didn't even know you can do that.
Speaker 1: I know you can go through the cube.
Speaker 5: That's what that was Shack. We had him, there was his birthday. He didn't know what Shock din't know what was going on.
Speaker 1: He showed up.
Speaker 3: He's like, man, flash what I'm doing.
Speaker 5: I'm like, just enjoyed and then like he didn't want to he want to stop, right, he we kept, he kept asking for more tries and more tries, and like, Shock, you can't keep git more.
Speaker 3: Tries because I need another life. I'll buy another life. So Shaq was shocked. Man, he brought.
Speaker 5: He brought a lot of excitement to it. He broke a lot of our games. So like really he was like, it's one of them. You will see on the commercial where he's getting these balls out. He broke the sides.
Speaker 1: Shock didn't realize that.
Speaker 3: You don't know, but.
Speaker 5: Man, I you know, like this was the first year we tried like adding Celeri because we had a lot of people will call and hitting us. Sam, we can do that, that's easy, and so he's like, all right, so come on to the show. So we had a few come and try and it wasn't ez easy as they thought.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at Melow Carmelo, Anthony just retired. What advice would you give him about retiring? About retirement, what can he expect?
Speaker 5: He can expect it to be different, he can expect it to be on him. You know, I know you think basketball is on you, but you got a team, you got a lot of teammates, you got coaching staff, you got trainers, you got everybody to get you to the gym right every day.
Speaker 3: You don't have nobody like that in retirement.
Speaker 5: You know, you still have your team, you see all the people that love you, but like it ain't the same, and so every day you gotta them feet, got to hit that ground right.
Speaker 3: And what you want a commissing that day has to be on you and it has to be set by you.
Speaker 5: That's that's the one thing I learned, Like when I play, we got reake up calls on the road.
Speaker 3: I don't get a wake up.
Speaker 5: Call, nobody telling me to get up and work out, to eat healthy, to do all these things.
Speaker 3: That's this basic that is without the work.
Speaker 5: This is just how how I'm gonna how I'm gonna maintain my body after retirement. On No one's telling you that, right, And so you got to realize that it's on you, you know what I mean. Like when I played with the team, I went and got my chest scans and.
Speaker 3: My EKG because it was scheduled right now. I got a schedule, you know.
Speaker 1: What I mean.
Speaker 5: So once you realize, like I woke up and there I said, oh, so this is all on me, all right?
Speaker 3: This familiar for me then, and so he got it.
Speaker 1: Do you think the white Howard should have been on the He only got seventy five slotes, maybe what five thousand guys that played in the NBA, maybe a little bit more, I said to say, But I don't know how it got.
Speaker 2: He was a dominant big.
Speaker 1: In multiple years, like three time Defensive Player of the Year.
Speaker 3: But not just like he got.
Speaker 2: Right, he was a dominant. He was dominant.
Speaker 3: I really don't understand.
Speaker 5: Like I know a lot of people have a lot of things to say about Dwight Howard as his personality or whatever. Everybody would like to take a shot the right, I mean, we all out here, everybody can take a shot at whatever they want.
Speaker 3: But when it comes to that man actual work, that's body of.
Speaker 1: What life and dislike. He got the backpack on. He tried hoop shots. But when the game, when they when they jumped the.
Speaker 5: Ball is undeniable. He took that team to the finals dead. This is I mean, and I'm not I'm like, I know what I'm saying that about. You can pick a lot of guys to be on this team.
Speaker 3: It's all.
Speaker 5: It's all subjective, right, depending on who's picking. But when you're talking about this, this generation, his last twenty five years, right, how many names can you think of? What the White Howard name is not in there? And I know T Max should be in there and other great players, but that was the White how one for me was tough.
Speaker 1: How difficult is it for you you have a son? Lebron has a son, now mellow Lebron has two sons. You have son, we're gonna talk about the later, have a son play. How difficult is it for your child that bears your last name to play the sport.
Speaker 2: That you played.
Speaker 1: Gotta be tough because you know you're getting Your dad would have made that. Your dad would have done this. Your dad would have did that.
Speaker 3: Man, I didn't have that pressure. Did you have the pressure you had it from your brother? I never had that pressure like I had an older brother. It was good, but he wasn't Hall of Fame. He wasn't at a level of the Sharks. He wasn't at that level.
Speaker 5: And so I have no idea what Zaire is experiencing from that standpoint, right, And I can't act like act like I know. But for me, and to me, like, none of that really matters when you're in between those lines, right, And so having a dad with this name or in this sport can get you in the door, can get you looks, and also can get people to talk about you.
Speaker 1: Yes, it worked.
Speaker 5: So for me, it's about what you do when you get between the lines. That's what all determines if you shut people up or you keep them talking, or you keep them talking. And so as I don't understand my son's journey, and that sympathized with, you know, I go and I look at my let me see what kind of hate he getting, right, I sympathize with this young man who gets hate for nothing.
Speaker 3: No one knows me. He's on his own journey in life.
Speaker 5: And he's been you know, whether it's me, whether it's Brownie, whether it's this player, this player, he's getting compared to them, and I'm just that's life at the same time, Right, You're going to be compared to a lot of different people if you if you want to do something great.
Speaker 1: I had had Ken Griffy or one time, and he said he kind of he always saw his go see his son's play, he said, but it was tough on him, he said, because if his son made a mistake and he struck out, the people in the stand will say, well, you're not your dad. And Griffy one day said, he said, well name five players who are so let me put that in my nose. We get that to my son. Yeah, yeah, yeah, he said, well name five players who are. But d just imagine, how do you think your life would do? How different would your life have been like today's kid with the social media aspect high school, college. You did have some social media later in your NBA, but I don't think you started with it.
Speaker 2: How different would your life have been?
Speaker 3: It's too much access. I got four kids now, it's too much access.
Speaker 1: You better have too much access.
Speaker 3: You can get to anybody because you got everybody number.
Speaker 2: You know what It was the.
Speaker 1: Way back when you and I was growing up in high school and in college. If you saw a beautiful girl in Miami, you don't know if she was from Miami or where she was from. You might not ever see again. Now you just go on social media. You're like, oh she and I can get there or I.
Speaker 2: Can get it here.
Speaker 3: That's listen.
Speaker 5: I'm glad social media walning around as I was a young boy trying to focus on accomplishing something that only a few can accomplish. You know how focused and locked you can't have distraction.
Speaker 1: You can't the media like a Lebron like like Mahomes or Tom Brady or you talked to d Wade is different.
Speaker 5: I give these kids a lot of credit to be able to juggle both. Like I understand the great, the great things about social media. Yeah we get the benefits, yes, But on the on the other end, if you're trying to accomplish what I know a lot of these young men say or what they're trying, and they get up every day to work their ass off and accomplished this distraction, it's going to get in the way at some point when you're trying to go to that when you're trying to reach that penthouse level in your sport right.
Speaker 1: Right, like you can get you can get to the first level.
Speaker 5: You get in the lobby, Yeah, you're the hotel, but there's a special key card that goes to the penthouse, right And it's a lot of sacrifice that you got to have to get to that penthouse level. And a lot of guys won't get there because of certain things. That's a distraction, and social media is a big distraction for the for the generation.
Speaker 1: How how many did you have to leave a whole lot of homeboys? Because everybody, you know, people say they sacrifice, and you sacrifice a lot, Like as far as your time, you know, you didn't go to you missed a lot of your kids things, recitals and piano lessons or whatever the case may be. You sacrificed a lot of that. But sometimes I'm noticing guys won't sacrifice a homeboy. Man, he was there from the beginning. Man, I can't let my homeboy go pro. But he holding you back. He put you in a situation where you can't climb to the top because he's holding you back. Was it difficult for you to leave some of the homeboys even though you're like, yeah, bro, we grew up together.
Speaker 2: But where I'm ascending to.
Speaker 3: It was, and it is right, especially when you're young.
Speaker 5: When you're young, man, you growing up and you growing up in an improvished community, all you got is your homeboy, right, your family right, And so y'all all have the same dream together to a point where your dream become everybody right, right when you're the one who's and so man, when I made it, Man, my whole everybody was we made it, we in here, and so you carry that, You carry that mentality like, yo, we all here, we all made it, and you try to allow access for everybody, because if you're that person, you try to allow access to bring everybody with you. But we all know how that's gonna work. It's only gonna be. Man, if you lucky, you'll find a maver Carter in a bunch. If you lucky, if you're lucky, you'll find someone who wants more than what just they're giving. Because everybody, when you get into the league, you get in that situation, everybody loves what. They love, the sneakers, they they love, the outfits they get. How many people you're gonna find is gonna out go and be like, yo, thank you for getting us here. Now I gotta go get mine right away. I ain't talking about once is over and it doesn't happen often. And a lot of it too, is you are not in a position where you come from enough to tell these individuals, hey man, I might be able to value a gift to say, you know, thanks for being my homeboy. You gonna watch you go even a car because we got it like that. But I can't take care of your entire life. That is that is for your entire life. And so that's a hard conversation to have when y'all all have a dream.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we all grew up. Man, I knew you were you to have anything. Man, you at my house. You sleep on my couch?
Speaker 5: Yeah, cause you feel like man, yeah, and if you don't got to. Most most times people get rid of stuff like this when they got a woman to come in and she'd be like, yo, he can't be sleeping on the couch your homeboy can't have to keep that because that's how it is, right. And it came it took my wife to come in and be like she was older woman that came in, like, what's going on in this frat house?
Speaker 1: Y'all got going on? What's something is doing room?
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying. And I kind of have to like, oh, you're right, I'm with a grown woman.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 5: I had to clear shop a little bit. And so sometimes it takes certain people to come in to show you like yo, like what are you doing right? And you know, hopefully it's not something that happens that's in a negative form to make you be like, oh, I got to get rid of. And it's not about getting rid of, it's like, hey, like I got here because X, Y and Z we all hear. Hey, you want to go to school, You want to do something for yourself, You want to do something for your family, for your kids. One day you're gonna have a daughter, Like and I just talked to my brother, say, you got a little girl. What you're gonna show her? She looking at you to see how it is that what man she wants? So what are you gonna do?
Speaker 3: You don't want to. You don't want her to be like, oh he get money from Uncle Dwayne. Where you need something?
Speaker 5: You want her to know that you get up every day, you go work and go grind and make sure she has what she needs. And that's what her man should do. Whatever it is, however, you want to raise your child. And so that's that's how I approached it eventually, right, you.
Speaker 1: Got no dog in the fight through the lot been going over the last three four months with Jah Moran. If you, as a player or a player, what advice could you what advice would you give him?
Speaker 2: And what advice would you give him. If you were his father, this was your place.
Speaker 1: Ja Morant's Dwayne Wade's son, what advice? What would you tell him?
Speaker 5: I mean, that's that's obviously a tough question. But you know, I what I try to do with my kids is like I don't like, I'm not trying to I'm not gonna act like life.
Speaker 3: Is not gonna happen, right, Okay, you know what I'm saying. I'm not gonna act like some mistakes are not gonna happen.
Speaker 5: Try to minimize them, but you try to, right, that's our job to try to minimize, but they're gonna happen.
Speaker 3: Actually, you need some of them to happen.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: So I'm not gonna make this about shame on you. Okay.
Speaker 5: This is a part of this journey that we're on. This is this is something that we can use as a learning lesson and learning too. And my question to anybody is what do you want for your life? And so if you sit and tell me, because I know what y'all probably won't. He wants to be one of the greatest, correct Now, you want to be one of the greatest. Okay, Now, let me open up the books to show you what the greats do and how they go buy their business and how they separate this in it like you know what I'm saying, it's more so of Sean.
Speaker 3: All right, let me open up the book. Who your favorite players? Oh?
Speaker 5: I love Kobe, I love Lebron, I love MJ. Let me show you what the guys that have a statue, This is how they did it, and the look they went through stuff. Right, All these guys, all of us go through something, right, Look how they And so it's just about showing the man like he's job's twenty three years old. Three, he's a young man who's supposed to make mistakes. Now, do we want him to make the mistakes that he made? Of course we don't. But that's not our we don't get to determine that, right, And so it's a it's a mistake twice, No we don't. But if you make it twice, we don't want to make it three times. We don't get rid of you because you make it twice. That's not how this works like this, we can't do that. And if I'm your father, that's not that's not my ministry. I'm here, I'm here for the long haul. And so if I'm your father, Okay, you've made the same mistake twice. You know what, I've done the same thing. I've made the same mistake twice in other instance as well. It just wasn't in front of the whole world. And so that's how I go in and that's how our parent my kids. It's not I don't go in with shame with you, because I know that when you got to make certain decisions, you can have a lapse for one second.
Speaker 3: It ain't even got to be a whole twenty four hours.
Speaker 1: It could be one second.
Speaker 5: Lapse changes a lot, and I've had them right, and so you know, I just think like, like, I don't know j'all like that. So I wouldn't pick up the phone and be like, yo, young fell he not listening to me necessarily like that. That's not my ministry with him, but as someone who wants to see him go to the level that man. John Moran is my one of my favorite players to wise. If I'm gonna spend my cash, jians on my top three players that I'm gonna go spend my money on. And so you know, my conversation with him will be that what do you what do you want for your.
Speaker 1: Future one of your classmates teammates contemplating retire Lebron, Lebron, you want to.
Speaker 2: Know, you want to get your get let me get your.
Speaker 3: Yeah, go ahead, go ahead, give me that, give me that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know you're talking about the man just had forty ten and nine on Yeah, you don't hate Okay, Okay, I was gonna make sure we're talking about the same.
Speaker 1: But he's But he said, you know, nobody get weary. Man. You know it's getting hard and hard for me to summon it up. You know, I'm playing on this t give you a little week. There is the getting harder and hard for him to summers it up. And you know I ain't getting no younger. I need a little help here and there. So you didn't buy the part that Lebron was thinking about.
Speaker 3: All my money still in my pocket, I ain't buy nothing.
Speaker 1: It's the moment after the game, man.
Speaker 5: It's a lot like that, you know, Like obviously they where they came back from shout out to the Lakers, from making the moves that they made to help them make that push, and so yeah, the conversation in the locker room may not be as funny no more, because you don't have a lot of comment with the next generation, right right, You get tired of the travel. The travel gets old because you ain't traveling around the world.
Speaker 3: You ain't going out to France.
Speaker 2: Yea a Sacramento, you know, go to Utah.
Speaker 5: Listen, it's only so many times that you want to keep doing that same route. So yes, when you look at all of that, it beats you down mentally. Physically, we know what it is. I mean, he's a physical specimen. But at the same time, physically it's gonna beat him down, right, Okay.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I ain't gonna ask him.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna say, bro, you for real that that's not about that's not my But like I looked at I was like.
Speaker 3: Okay, I ain't buying that. I know what I know.
Speaker 5: Where after the season right now, would they asking you this question in this more? But also know when he get away and he go ahead to Mexico, he go away to the south of France, he on his yacht for the summer. He gonna look around and be like, okay, the King coming, the King coming back.
Speaker 3: I'm getting ready.
Speaker 2: How many more years do you think Lebron can play at this level, it's.
Speaker 1: Greatly because we've never nobody has ever been in their peak, regardless of sport, as lonely as this man has been in been in.
Speaker 2: This is prime, so to speak.
Speaker 1: Nobody's had a twenty year peak's injury.
Speaker 3: If he doesn't get injured, he takes care of himself. I mean, he's a.
Speaker 1: Look at him.
Speaker 3: First of all, let's look at one of his legs is two of mine put together. He ain't built like a normal person.
Speaker 5: Okay, so that was God gave him that blessing. You built different, and so he has the mental to continue to keep the mental strong. That's one of the hardest parts. If you physically can play, mentally, you lose it quicker than even physical Sometime, like mentally I was done. I had I had two three more years at a certain level. I could ever about twelve to fifteen the game of the team off the bench. But mentally, because of the injuries, because of all the things that it beat me down where it wasn't I love the game, I can't wait to watch the game. But mentally, and so Lebron has been able to mentally tell himself.
Speaker 3: You're not tired, you're not injured.
Speaker 5: You're like he's been able to mentally do that, and now I've got a chance to watch it for four years like he would if he was hurt.
Speaker 3: He never would.
Speaker 5: He couldn't even talk that language in front of him, Like even if bro, you hurt, Now I'm not hurt.
Speaker 3: Your ankle hurt? No, not hurt.
Speaker 5: Because the mind is strong, right, his mind, and so that's why the strongest, that's one of the strongest twos is his mind. We know it from an IQ standpoint. You and I look at him like, oh man, he has a crazy IQ. No, he has an intelligent, strong mind.
Speaker 3: And so that allows him to keep going.
Speaker 5: And so long as his mind stay strong, which is obviously it gets hard and hard every year, right, and his body says strong. I mean he's he can average twenty plus for the next.
Speaker 2: Couple years of argument.
Speaker 1: He doesn't miss those games with the growing first year in LA, he doesn't hurt that ankle and missing Let's just say, for.
Speaker 5: You can't say that if I don't have three kne So we're doing ifs nown you the league, Yeah, I had one in college and two in the league.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're doing if. Now, Okay, because we're doing if then let's talk.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, how about this year.
Speaker 1: We're not gonna do our year here, Okay, if the ankle doesn't get hurt this year, the tendon this year.
Speaker 2: Do you think the outcome is different between them and Denver?
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 5: I think the outcome is different between the Lakers. With him getting that time away. Actually, we got a chance to see them grow as a team outside of Lebron. Okay, we got to see a d grow at that level. Obviously when he's on the floor, we was like top five player in the league. Right, We got a chance to see what the d LO can bring and what all three can bring.
Speaker 1: He actually really grew. Ron's absence.
Speaker 5: The best thing that happened to the Lakers, right was Lebron's absence because it allowed him to not have to depend on him right, Right, Because when you got a great player, you depend on that great player, right, And so they had the rock and they had something to play for in the middle of that, and so I think it was great for the Lakers, and that allowed him to come back. And if you seen when he came out, he was a different player than it was where he went out. Even though his numbers were still big, he wasn't leading the charge as much. Right right, He was allowing Reeves, he was allowing a d and all these guys to do their thing, and he was just kind of a shadow box until he needed to be Lebron.
Speaker 3: And so it was beautiful to watch d Wade.
Speaker 2: I think you did something not a whole lot of guys could do.
Speaker 3: Sacrifice.
Speaker 1: You sacrifice. Now it's one thing to sacrifice if we come together. But I'm already established here. I've already won the finals MVP. I've already demand here. And you asking me to come, you coming in my house and asking you to share, You have me sharing. You want us hitt the head of the table when that's my head of the table. Now you want me to get out of my bed. You gonna get the big bed. How were you able to do? Everybody can't do that the way everybody say that now you know, everybody to get in front of the camera, it is, oh, yeah, you know, I sacrifice all day, but you know deep down everybody can't do what you did. How and why?
Speaker 3: Well, why it's easy? I wanted to win.
Speaker 2: Everybody say they want to win.
Speaker 1: Well, they be.
Speaker 3: Lying, Okay, all right, we said, now what's the action?
Speaker 5: And so I wanted to win. And the reason I wanted to win because when I came in the game, this is what was said to be in this breath, in this conversation, you have to win championships. Every generation is different than the conversations surrounding guys is different. I didn't have the Steph Curry range. I didn't have the dame like I wasn't gonna put up thirty thousand points, right, so for me to put my name and sign my name in heaven, I wanted my game to be accumulation of it all. But it needs to be winning. It needs to be led by winning for me, right, And so that wasn't a facade. And when the opportunities came, I always put myself in a position to do that right. And so you can ask anybody who work with me, maybe most people who walk in the room with me in the meetings, and it could be a meaningful weight enterprises. I don't sit at the head of the table. I like to sit in the middle, like to sit in the seats in the middle. I like to be amongst everybody, to have conversations with everybody.
Speaker 3: I don't want to be at the head. It's lonely at the head of the table. And so when Lebron came and C became, I was like, Oh, you want to sit.
Speaker 1: At the head. Cool.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna go where I'm comfortable. Because here's the thing. I haven't been a star of my whole life. I played so many roles my entire basketball career, and I think that's one of the reasons why I look at myself as one of the greatest players, because I didn't do it one way. I showed you how to be great in so many different ways and so many different times. My game change and evolved so much right and so to me, that's greatness as a basketball player. And I wonder challenge myself throughout my career to see if I could do stuff different, like, Okay, thirty points a game, the League one did that, What's next? Finals MVP got that did like I'm all about like what's next? And so when the opportunity came in twenty ten, I was like, Okay, this is another challenge for me to play with somebody I never thought i'd play with someone I admire so much, but how can I play with the guy that I know is ball dominant.
Speaker 3: When I become ball dominant, right, pick on my challenge.
Speaker 1: And so I just learned how to play off the ball.
Speaker 3: I learned, Well, you want you see the back cuts?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you got a budget, you got a bunch of yeah game you like.
Speaker 2: You run an old Prinston.
Speaker 5: James mcga and you know what to go back real quick. I'm sorry because I didn't say this. We talk about the Hall of Fame when you talk about Dirk cast changed the game for his position, right like, right now, you got people the stretch, you got people in the gym, right now putting that try to get that one tight hit right Tony Parker, I felt like Tony Parker was amazing point guard, but he was like a he was like a big man because when he got in the post, his footwork was crazy. When he got in the paint, his footwork was crazy, like he got you up and numbers all there, right, and so just just amazing to see like a point guard, but when he got to the paint, he became one of the best big men in the game. A lot of people don't know that Powell. When I played with I played with Powell one time and we got invited to Barack's President Barack Obama's forty ninth birthday powder party at the White House, and I got a chance to play with Powell.
Speaker 3: Kobe was like, don't get used.
Speaker 2: To it.
Speaker 3: Was hitting me with I was like, oh, Kobe, this is easy. I gotta throw the shack. You actually getting it back. So I just wanted to throw that out about the Hall of Famers.
Speaker 5: Man just so honored to be in a class with guys who changed the games for their position.
Speaker 3: I think I was one of the guys who.
Speaker 5: Came in and evolved and evolved, evolved the game in my position and gave it just a little different.
Speaker 1: Look, where are you on this, because somehow it has gotten skewed over the years because they've taken away from it. It's like, if you don't have a ring, you can't be great, d Wade. I believe you could be a great player and not have a ring, because they are great. There are players that have multiple rings that aren't great players, and there are great players that don't have any ring. So when did this happen that if you don't have a ring you're not a great player. When did that happen? With it two thousand and five? When did this happen?
Speaker 5: I don't know when it happened. You know, man, a lot of people have what we have right here. A lot of people have a microphone, and their microphone is powerful. And so someone said this alone the way.
Speaker 2: And you said enough, people started believing, like, yeah.
Speaker 5: It makes no sense, Like here it is, okay. So I won a championship in the NBA, I didn't win in college. They went in high school, so far and so on. So does that make me greater than Carmelo? Because Carmelo wanted college. Cammello probably wanted a couple state championship, right, Like it's different times. We have an opportunity because of our talent, because our team, But that time is there for you, right and you try to strike that doesn't happen just because you're a great Playerization you gotta do they part right. You got to put the right team around you. You gotta put the right talent around Like if you look at Alan irvs in the Philadelphi's seventy six ers, they put the they structured the right team around him to give this many chance to be his to be his individual great self.
Speaker 2: Take the ball out and they did.
Speaker 3: They roll. Hey, you block shots at the rim? Yeah, yep, ex know, if he throw it.
Speaker 5: To you, you better shoot ten to fifteen feet only like they played their roles right and so but it took the organization, It took the gym and to everybody to make sure there was the right talent around Ai. So you're telling me Ai is not great if he don't make the finals run, or if they don't bring in my tumble, if they don't bring in these guys to open the floor for him to defend for him, all these things. And so the concept of a great player is not great because he didn't win a ring.
Speaker 3: Everybody can't win a ring. You'll have a different champion every year.
Speaker 1: And that's what it was, that defeat. Now, the rings would be meaningless if everybody won one. What's the value in that.
Speaker 3: There's no value in it.
Speaker 5: That's why it's such premium on it because everybody can't get one. It doesn't matter how great you are. You will not walk away with a ring just because you're great. It's players that are way greater than me, and they won't walk away with three rings. Right, That doesn't mean that I'm greater than that, I'm better than them because I have three rings, right, or because another player has one or two, because you got players that got rings that ain't even didn't do nothing to get those rings, so they make them.
Speaker 3: That's not how it goes. Now, I understand that.
Speaker 1: Okay, when you start talking about that pyramid, Okay, now it's third, second, third rings map.
Speaker 5: Well, because here we go, let's go back to the hotel. It's a different room, right, Like it's a hey, we all great, Yes, what you say one ring group is going over here? Okay, we'll just say that who got three rings?
Speaker 3: Going?
Speaker 1: You know how it go?
Speaker 5: And so I got a card for the three rings. I can have conversations with a couple of guys in there, but I can't go to the four or five. It's certain rooms I can't even go in, right, So it's okay, doesn't take away nothing from your greatness. We can all sit in the room of the top seventy five, top hundred, But then they gonna separate you from the rooms of champions, right, but your.
Speaker 3: Team's gonna be in that with you. They don't bring champions in.
Speaker 5: One person because it's not golf it's not tens and so far. So your team got to come into the two six Miami Heat. And so if they haven't put a team around you that allows you to be there, or if your time and hasn't hit, it's timing. Michael Jordan came around and messed everybody timing. Yes, Lebron James been in the finals ten to twelve years, how many opportunities do you get? Doesn't And so I hate that notion because that doesn't mean that Dame or and I'm not saying he won't get one, but right now that Dame is not.
Speaker 3: You can't tell me Dame.
Speaker 5: Is not one of the greatest players that we've seen play this game. If he walk away with no rings, does that take away where we've watching Dame? Not for me, not individually. It just means it doesn't. Now we know if he got the right team, he's not selfish. We know Dame gonna make sure other guys eat right. But he hasn't had the team that has allowed him at the right time to be better than the Lakers.
Speaker 1: Need to be more selfish. When he had that seventy one, I said, you need to be more selfish, you need to get eighty that night they started telling you like, nah, But let me ask you this. When you played with Lebron, you see him from a distance, Was he better up closed than you thought? Even you thought he was from a distance?
Speaker 3: One? He was better in practice and I thought he was in the games.
Speaker 1: What.
Speaker 5: I didn't get a chance to watch the other goats because it's multiple goals to pro in what era. But I did get a chance to watch this era. One of this era's goats, which is Lebron, Kobe's won and Lebron's one. And when I saw him in practice, it was a separator from.
Speaker 3: Me of good to great to goats.
Speaker 5: You cannot do the things that he did and how he did it.
Speaker 3: And so so we take it for granted. Of course, of course we do.
Speaker 5: And it's not that we won't have another great player to come along. We just will not have another n Right, we're still talking about Jordan all these years because we took.
Speaker 3: It for granted in the moment right now.
Speaker 5: It's like it's like when you watch when you watch the dunk contest with you there, sometimes you can't see what really happened, right, You got to look everybody looking for the instant replay slow motion, slow down, actually see what happened.
Speaker 3: That's what happened.
Speaker 1: When your career ends.
Speaker 5: As a Lebron career ends, we're gonna actually start looking at seeing what happened and what he actually did. Right and now we're gonna be like oh, because right now we're in it and we send it in fast motion and we can't really see everything that he's accomplishing.
Speaker 1: If they were to redraft the two thousand and and your class, the two thousand and three class, obviously, Lebron's gonna go number one?
Speaker 2: Where's d Wade going if they redrafted? So we had.
Speaker 1: Lebron one dark old Mellow cb U if they redraft, So we redrafted.
Speaker 5: Like redrafted after the career, like where we redraft? What point are we redrafted in? Like now was we sitting here or.
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You know what?
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's do I think even if we redrafted, Lebron's gonna go number one. We we agree with that. So yeah, we go back.
Speaker 5: And look at everybody's career. Okay, where do you think you going? Where I should have went? Probably if you could do it to Denver?
Speaker 2: Denver, so you should have been a third pick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Mellow should have been a second pick and not. And Chris Boss was a fourth pick.
Speaker 5: But you know, when it comes to bigs, is about what team needs that kind of big, right, So obviously Toronto needed them.
Speaker 3: Miami Heat needed a big.
Speaker 5: They would have drafted Chris Bosher Toronto and take them right right, I would have went to the Heat.
Speaker 3: So if you do it all over, I would probably go third to Denver.
Speaker 1: Right. Yeah, there's been a lot of speculation. I think Mellow brought it up. So don't get mad at me, Mello said. He said, don't get mad, Mello said.
Speaker 2: Bello said he should have been Rookie of the Year.
Speaker 3: He should have been rooky. I heard that you.
Speaker 2: So I ain't trying to start nothing, he said it.
Speaker 5: Well, he said, at least cold, it's an argument. Yeah, he had an argument then, and he has an argument now. Takes nothing away from Lebron and the regular year. But let's look at what Mellow did over there in the Western Conference.
Speaker 1: On the game, six rebounds the game, almost three assists, shot forty four percent from the floor, and his.
Speaker 3: Team made on the playoff team playoff team.
Speaker 2: Lebron was twenty one twenty one point.
Speaker 1: Nine five and a half rebounds six and sists, shot forty three percent from the floor. Team didn't make the playoff co work here of the year.
Speaker 2: It should have been.
Speaker 1: It should have been because they get it for Grant Hill and Jason Kidd.
Speaker 3: Yeah, y'all showed us that y'all can do it right. Co work here of the year.
Speaker 5: If we're going by the numbers and how everything is, like, right, Like, yeah, Lebron had more assists. Yeah, but when you look at it, he's doing this on a ready.
Speaker 3: Made playoff team, which is harder.
Speaker 5: Right, Lebron's doing on an eighteen year old kid that's coming in to save a franchise.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: They both deserved it, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Mellow line, Yeah it could have been.
Speaker 5: Okay, Yeah, listen, Mellow ain't trying to take nothing away from Bron, right. Mellow is like, but I know I put the same effort level work in, but y'all didn't want to. They don't want to give it to him. He and he was warning to do rags they want. They won't mess with Mellow at that time. But I mean, if you look at it at that time, it's it's been a few times. What it's All Star games where a certain times you're like, oh, two people, should they deserve it and it's okay to code.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you think they'll be code m vps.
Speaker 5: Well, I don't know that the games changes so much what they do one from the East versus and one from the West.
Speaker 1: No, why not? Well that I mean they don't. You don't know what baseball do. It happened like American League MVP and National League MVP. Football don't do it. You have one m v P. I don't think they'll do that.
Speaker 3: But it's not why not?
Speaker 5: It's not equal? You don't play every team equally. You don't like it's not so why are you giving out.
Speaker 2: You think the West plays different than the East.
Speaker 3: They play at a different time, for sure, No they do. It's different. Like why not have an East versus?
Speaker 5: Like I understand how it's been, But if we break this down right now and all these new awards that's coming up, why not reimagine this thing that ain't.
Speaker 1: Really got no new award They just gave him from names. You know, you got the labbird in the Magine doctor the ward you got.
Speaker 5: No, but you get MVPs for Eastern Commerce Finals. I didn't get an MVP for East Commerce finals. I just got it for the NBA fight. So like their new awards. Now at it, it's more you got more.
Speaker 1: Man, Yeah, Lebron would showing up being none questions Lebron got you would have ten Eastern conferences.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it'll be a lot. Like you get some scoring Chameman. They given all these awards.
Speaker 1: They can clutch award how many times?
Speaker 3: And fourth quarter I was in there, I was the leading scorer. No, I mean awards I have.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 5: So if we're reimagining things, then let's reimagine it. Let's give an MVP off for the East and the MVP off for the West.
Speaker 1: Shock comes to Miami. You're already solidified as a player. How easy was it for you? How accepting were you of shock? Like man, and we're getting shot.
Speaker 3: It's shocked. I would be a fool.
Speaker 5: I would have been a fool, and I would still be a fool if I didn't come in all ear my ears opened, my eyes buck white and listening to everything. That one of the greatest players, I mean at that time, he already had three rings on the fifty Greatest Players of all time so far and so on. So I was like this, yes, yes, hey, that's why I went the ball right. Oh yeah, listen, he let Shaq is a very honest man to me, and our relationship is a one two punch. He came in, he sat down just like this. We sat down and it was very candid. It was very short. He was like, listen, Flashes, is your team? Wait one flashit. He eventually got to that, I'm going to help you become one of the greatest to play this game. I'm going to help you be a superstar. When I asked for the ball, throw it.
Speaker 3: To his hand, it was we had a real easy relationship. If Shaq did like this to that right hand, turn five, get shocked the ball? What you want? You want a lie, big fellow, I have nothing to like. Shaq helped me and sold me, like my confidences. I walked out on that court.
Speaker 5: It's, you know, like when I got the NBA the Miami Heat that we want nothing.
Speaker 3: Nobody was checking for us.
Speaker 5: When I walked out there my second year and Shaq was walking out there, my shoulders got a little bag of test my big you see my big brother, right, you know what I mean? And so he helped me so much. He took my career that was probably gonna go like this.
Speaker 3: Right away.
Speaker 5: And it was the confidence that he gave me. Think about him, man, one of the greatest evers say is your show.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna back you up. I got you and everything.
Speaker 2: Man, I'm looking at you.
Speaker 1: In your third season, you lead the Heat to the to the championship, You're the finals, MVP, and y'all went four straight. You go forty two, thirty six, forty three, thirty six.
Speaker 3: It's a bad boy.
Speaker 1: Forty forty two, thirty six, forty two in game three, thirty six, in game four, forty three, in game five, thirty six.
Speaker 5: In game six, the haters gonna say, I shot twenty three throws.
Speaker 2: Yeah, big points.
Speaker 1: You were you were you were attacking, you attacking the back, you and you are attacking food back.
Speaker 3: Well, I want to jump shooting fool.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you that I was gonna get in one way or the other.
Speaker 2: So what's going through your mind?
Speaker 1: Because that one game, I don't know if it was Game three or Game three, you guys were down, and I remember you saying like, Man, I ain't.
Speaker 2: Going out like that.
Speaker 1: I ain't gonna like I ain't going No, that ain't about to happen.
Speaker 5: No, First of all, you want you one thing we all want where we come from.
Speaker 3: We want some stripes in the hood.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: Back at the crib, I need my stripes.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: I'm sitting there and I'm like, we ain't getting we ain't about to get beat like this.
Speaker 5: I know everybody back in Chicago, but I know they watching this game, right, And I just through that time, I was just thinking of everything. I'm like, nah, I ain't going out like this. If I'm gonna go out, I'm about to go out letting these things fly. This ball about to go up, baby, I'm gonna tell you that. And then they start going in. But just the mentality to say, you know what we hear. I don't know because I'm young, so I don't I don't know if this is gonna happen again, I'm not even thinking that way. But what I do know is if we go down three, oh, it's probably it's probably over. And so we get so when we came out of that huddle down thirteen at the crib, I was like, well, our young fella, all the things you told yourself if you get this opportunity, yeah, flash all these cool nicknames it's time to do it.
Speaker 1: Did you know you were gonna have that type of night going into the game, because sometimes you can tell, like man the way to shoot around and warm up. I felt really good, so you kind of get a feeling that something special might happen.
Speaker 5: Well, so a lot of people, I mean doesn't make it like it doesn't make me a hero or hit work at all. But I was sick when I was sick in the round before, and so once we got to the first two games versus Dallas, I was still sick.
Speaker 3: We got a butt beat.
Speaker 5: But if you watch my numbers, I had like twenty five twenty nine, Like I was in that range. Maybe not high percentage, but I was in that range, and I was I was like out there figuring things out right. I was like, Okay, this is where I can tag, this where I can get my spot, so far and so on. So by the time we got to game three, now we're home, confidence is a little bit more. I'm feeling better physically, and so once I got to that that moment, like I was able to kind of pick the game apart because I've already had a doses of two other games of how y'all guarded me in the fourth and so now it was about me. Just changed my mindset of not doing the same thing, and so maybe I attacked a little different, Maybe I attacked a little sooner. All these things started changing as the series went on, and so it really is a boxing match, and they did us like this. The first two games they kept us at like this, and then a game three they were they were hitting us right, and so I had to kind of change my disposition. Had the Floyd Mayweather on them, I had to go a different show with the b and kind of change up, trying to change it up. And then we got a couple of calls, We got a couple.
Speaker 3: Of shots to fall change the entire series.
Speaker 1: Were you surprised that the Lakers traded Shot to the Mami?
Speaker 5: Uh? Yeah, because I didn't really like it was at social media. I didn't really know about the beef, the internal beef that people talk about. I still don't know Shot and I didn't talk a lot of that wasn't our relationship, and so so he didn't.
Speaker 1: So when you when he got there, he like Lakers there, he wanted he wanted to do another.
Speaker 2: Ring, but he wanted to be first.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was not. It wasn't no secret Kobe can't get a ring before me. It wasn't no secret.
Speaker 5: In Miami, we all knew, Like I remember it was we were, uh we were sixteen games into the first season Miami. He ten and six Los Angeles Lakers maybe either tennt six or nine to seven.
Speaker 3: Check fact check me. We had a meeting led Bashack.
Speaker 5: He went the fuck off because we had the same record as the Lakers at that time.
Speaker 3: You know what we did. We're on the twelve game winn the Street, lost one or two.
Speaker 5: We went on a ten game win the Street, and we end up having the best record in the league for a long time.
Speaker 3: But like, he didn't want to be at the same pace as the Lakers.
Speaker 5: He didn't come here to be average, right, and so like he demanded something out of us that allowed obviously that pushed us to help us win that championship.
Speaker 2: So how excited was he to get that ring before Kobe?
Speaker 3: You heard his dis track they have with this record that came out he did, So there you go. Let's go back and look at the lyrics of the distrack you.
Speaker 1: Got compared with, because when he came there, they're like d Wade about to be the next Kobe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, I ain't like that.
Speaker 2: You ain't like that.
Speaker 3: Oh why would I like that? I don't want that.
Speaker 2: You don't want you don't want that pressure. You want that.
Speaker 1: I ain't want that. That smoke.
Speaker 3: Kobe got three rings at this time.
Speaker 1: He's twenty twenty four years old.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he got three rings, Like I played the way I played because I.
Speaker 3: Watched Jordan Iverson and Kobe.
Speaker 5: Right now, you're talking about IM, like, don't put me there yet, I'm two years in the league, right, And so they did, and it become like like I'm still a kid who was like, I sickly still want Kobe's.
Speaker 1: Autographic, Yeah, asking for the shoes at the back of you.
Speaker 3: I'm secretly like I don't even want to push up on him too much.
Speaker 1: Yet I'm like, I don't know.
Speaker 5: And so as I was trying to find my foot in the league, I said, going to lead they Now they're now pinning me with one of my favorite players, I guy that I only played once the year before because he was injured the second time.
Speaker 3: And so now it's this inner beef.
Speaker 5: That we don't even that I don't even know that's there that I didn't calls that the media has called.
Speaker 1: And so now we ain't talking each other.
Speaker 3: He come.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm not.
Speaker 5: Saying he wasn't, but it's gonna be a little extra because y'all say that he next, I'm gonna show y'all's that's Kobe. And so what it did do is it fast checked me. It brought out a little bit in me because like I knew that my goal. I was like, all right, right, he got he has to look at me as an equal, not saying that that he thinks I'm on his level, but he has to get some sleep the night before he plays me. He has to guard me. You got to pick me up ninety four feet whatever it is. I need to respect from him. And so that's that's how I took it. I didn't take it as oh, yeah, I am the next code.
Speaker 3: I'm in this role.
Speaker 5: No, I ain't young had that that's Kobe.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 5: And so I think I built my own sidekick role, like to call you a sidekick.
Speaker 3: I think I build my own lane of how right? How my signe kicked ten year.
Speaker 1: Was I'm looking at your season in two thousand and eight, two thousand and nine you became the only player to score two thousand points, five hundred six, one hundred and fifty steels, one hundred blocks.
Speaker 2: You won't the scoring title. Do you feel you should have won the MVP that season?
Speaker 3: Of course? But also understand why Lebron won it.
Speaker 5: I think they won sixty seven games, sixty two games, and the evers roughly the same, Like I understand it, but like as an individual, brother, Yeah, that was my opinion.
Speaker 1: How different would Dwayne, how different would your basketball life be if you had a regular season NV peeling would you would you look at your career any different?
Speaker 3: No, I've just been in a few more conversations hearing it.
Speaker 1: Well, right now, they got you as the third bread shooting guard behind Jordan and Kobe.
Speaker 2: Would you agree with that?
Speaker 5: I don't care, Like until the next person come along, they make me the fourth for the fifth, it doesn't matter like I Yeah, we're talking in the barbershopping, were talking about rankings. Yeah, I want my name to be mentioned with great So if you tell me I'm third, I'm not first, so I'm mad about that.
Speaker 3: But if you tell me i'm third, I can respect the top two that's in front of me.
Speaker 5: Right, but also too, I understand it's all subjective as well, is it? West was Iris in the Two Guard? Do you love James Harden's style?
Speaker 1: Do you love this? Like?
Speaker 3: I mean what we're doing here?
Speaker 5: So for me, like to be mentioned with the greats is all I ever wanted to put a number on it. The number moves right. Maybe I know we're thinking right now that that Jordan and Kobe when it's in its in stone.
Speaker 1: But like these, nobody pass Jordan Kobe. I don't think. I don't think nobody. I don't think they're gonna let anybody pass Jordan. We not.
Speaker 3: I know one thing about us. Our generation ain't gonna let it.
Speaker 5: We ain't gonna let this nobody come along, because we're gonna fight and defeend Jordan Kobe forever forever.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: So for me, man, it's like in my position, like.
Speaker 5: And I'm very honest, I was a very great player from from my abilities. I maximize all my abilities, That's all you can ask, right, I maximize it. Because of injury, I didn't I wasn't able to get to the level that I knew I could get to. Right my mind, I'm in goat level of my mentality and my talent.
Speaker 1: Wade doesn't have. D Way doesn't tear his knee injury, doesn't tears me in college. D Wade doesn't have the two knee surgeries in the NBA, and he played sixteen seasons.
Speaker 2: What's d Waighte numbers you?
Speaker 5: You're doing your goat conversation with me, You're doing what's your bad?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, so I'd have had a gold Bans on what I'm talking about, d Waighte.
Speaker 5: Well, maybe, like I said, we're talking about if you take away the injuries away, I'm still playing basketball right now if I want to wow, right, because it's the injuries and everything in the mental right, But if i'm if I'm healthy enough, like I could, I know, I just like you understand some about my game multiple ways, right right, I played the game ault away, so even right now when I got older, I went to it, I had another game and still was effective as an old player.
Speaker 1: So in my mind, you motherfucking right, I was one of them.
Speaker 5: Do like you couldn't tell me in six seven o eight that I wasn't going to where I wanted to go, right right?
Speaker 1: Like why why not?
Speaker 3: I'm ten?
Speaker 5: Like the league is not it's not hard for me. I'm averaging thirty a game in the NBA, right and so far and so on. I'm you know, and I already wanted I already want to find his MVP. I already won a championship in my third year.
Speaker 3: I did that.
Speaker 5: So in my mind, I'm very confident and quietly cocky about where I'm going.
Speaker 3: Right, and then injury started boom boom boom, right, and that it humbled me real quick.
Speaker 2: When did you realize?
Speaker 1: When did you realize that you, possibly because of the injuries, wasn't going to reach the ultimate player that you wanted to become, that you was gonna have to Like, Okay, I'm a great player, but I know I had so much more in me if I didn't have this injury.
Speaker 3: I mean, as you get older, so somewhere in that Big.
Speaker 1: Three era where you didn't look the same that twenty fourteen that lad Lebron.
Speaker 5: I wasn't the same. Ain't no, look I was. I was getting shots all before all the game really, oh man, So we'll do documentary later, okay, like all the all the knee injections and the shots and all that stuff. Man to get out there and perform like I did a lot of those things to be able to get out there. My body had felt like it got I got by mac Truck, and that's how I was playing right now. I was doing everything to medicate myself to be out there. And so yeah, I realized that at a point, man, I think it was one time, like you just over the years, like when I used to get past somebody, one step, I'm at the rim and body, I'm putting you in the rim. Right then it became one step, I don't even get to this floater.
Speaker 1: One step, let me.
Speaker 2: Get to the side.
Speaker 1: Step I can't even get back.
Speaker 3: It's the same. So like you, you know these things.
Speaker 5: If you're a person who get out the shower in the morning, you actually look in the mirror at yourself, you know who you are, you talk to yourself in the mirror like I do. So I knew over the time, I was like, oh, I'm losing a little of these steps.
Speaker 3: I'm not as explosive, I'm.
Speaker 5: Not as this, And that doesn't mean I can't still be great and I can't play this game. But I started to see it, and so it for me once I started doing it, I'm like Okay, like, who's up next, Lebron?
Speaker 3: You do more? I do a little because you know that you can't. You can't carry that same load no more. It ain't the same.
Speaker 5: I can't get to that rim point two second nine is zero point four point five. It's a little different. They can close in on me. I can't be as great. And so like all these little things, I started to understand, and I started to like, Okay, calculate, take a step back, move your game this way, go to the post, go to mid range on like all these things right, and so like, you gotta be You gotta be mentally sharp in this game if you want to stay a long time.
Speaker 3: It can't just be about the physical as you know.
Speaker 1: How did how did you recruit Lebron to get him? To convince him? I ain't.
Speaker 3: More of this.
Speaker 1: I ain't recruit Lebron. I don't.
Speaker 3: I didn't recruit Lebron. What do you mean?
Speaker 2: I mean? So, how'd you give you to Miami? Could I know Pam Riley recruited?
Speaker 3: No? Well, god recruit.
Speaker 1: I was just I was just what did.
Speaker 2: You What did you tell him? What did you tell Lebron?
Speaker 1: What did you tell you?
Speaker 2: You told you made some promise and something no I didn't like.
Speaker 3: I don't think no one would ever believe how all this happened.
Speaker 5: Well, it's gonna be hard because it's gonna take multiple people to tell you.
Speaker 3: Because I have a perspective. Lebron has a perspective.
Speaker 1: We'll give you since you here, I have you would I get you perspective, but you give us, you give us.
Speaker 2: How it played out to you.
Speaker 5: How it played out to me was once again as I started off, as we're as stars in this league. You're determined and you're you're picked on or you're lifted up by the championships you win.
Speaker 3: And so you got a young player like Lebron who he knows what.
Speaker 5: He needs to do to be at the level that he is today, and so he knew at that time that he couldn't probably do it there right at that moment, and so enter, what can I do with that?
Speaker 3: Who can I do it with? Previous years before that, we.
Speaker 5: All signed the same contract, so we can give ourselves flexibility, not saying hey, we're gonna play together in three years, but let's give ourself flexibility. And so that flexibility was like, oh shit, you wade a free agent. Oh, Chris Boss. So we everyone started thinking different around that time, and for me, it wasn't like it wasn't real until the Miami to got a call from my agent got a call from the Miami Heat, and they let us know that they actually put money aside or they can figure out a way to get three max players.
Speaker 3: Because at first it was just two Max players.
Speaker 5: So the conversation changed when the Miami he made that call to say we can get.
Speaker 3: Three max players. And then Lebron and I got on the phone and I just leave it at that. It's a lot of things that.
Speaker 1: Happened that Oh okay.
Speaker 5: And so then we got on the phone and we got on the phone because Lebron called and said, hey, let's get on the phone, just like we did three years ago prior to that. Lebron, my agent, Henry Thomas, his agent, the ty Leon Rose.
Speaker 3: We got on the phone.
Speaker 5: We talked about the contract situation, We talked about the five year deal versus a three year deal, the benefits. At that time, we were working together because we were all new at this.
Speaker 3: Right we're young dudes who friends.
Speaker 5: Wow, So we were working together and like, yo, you're twenty you're this age, you'll be this age when that deal is up. You older, you needed short, shorter deals, you can get more money like this.
Speaker 1: Time we were talking.
Speaker 5: We were young guys, but we had a different view on things, and so we kept talking throughout the process and when free agency came, another conversation, and a conversation led to huh.
Speaker 3: We could do what we could play together? And they just went from there.
Speaker 1: Do you even though they say we got a deal for three match contracts, did you think this was like? Could this be a reality? Could this be realistic? No?
Speaker 5: We didn't see it at that time, right, We didn't see especially players, free agents, guys, three guys, a.
Speaker 3: Good team, who they want? Where were they doing that at?
Speaker 5: A team had to go get an older agent, superstar or someone else and package them together.
Speaker 1: And that's what we did with the Celtics when they got Guard that.
Speaker 3: You got lucky, You drafted some guys and some guys, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: You get a Kareem, You get Kareem the magic Magic.
Speaker 1: Kareem's there, he win the final when the irregular season MVP, they drafted Magic and then two years later that Daves worded with the first you go, how that happened?
Speaker 2: How he how you win the finals?
Speaker 5: And did you get you know what I'm saying different time back then, as we stayed on winter time, they were doing corn flips and all in the back like it was so like.
Speaker 3: I never first of.
Speaker 5: All, I never imagined and I don't know if people believe me. I never thought Lebron and I would play together. I had a meeting with the Miami Heat about this before, two years before we ever played together. Was do you think And I was like, zero points zero zero zero zero, zero point one percent chance that would ever play together, right, right, And because there was a lot of conversations out there, and I never I never thought it was until I sat with him face to face and I see that it wasn't about scoring titles no more.
Speaker 1: For him.
Speaker 5: It wasn't about all the things that you know, the commercials and MVP's and all the things he had. He had that, but he was still empty inside and he wanted and needed something else for his career. And me being one of his good friends, me be one of the best players in the league, me being a free agent at the same time, me being in a nice city at the same time, it was attractive and it was sexy, and so we had an opportunity to sit down and talk about it.
Speaker 1: What did you think when you heard Lebron say not one, not two, not three, not four, not five, not six, not seven.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't.
Speaker 1: I didn't.
Speaker 3: I didn't take it seriously. Anybody out there who took that serious? Like, come on, guys, like we were having.
Speaker 2: A parade, right you paid, there's a media you dot.
Speaker 1: You know, we in that with our fans, like we're in that talking that one. You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: When that we jacket we're doing we do when the crib.
Speaker 1: With our homies. You know, you put a little sauce on yourself.
Speaker 3: You had a little too.
Speaker 1: That's what he did. He had a little sauce, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: And then that sauce became Oh, we're gonna hold him to it, that's all. Like we never we never say were about to win seventh straight, but we knew he was gonna be a problem.
Speaker 1: The Big three, the hate and the vitry all you got.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was nasty.
Speaker 1: Have you ever seen anything like it before or since? Not in that way.
Speaker 5: I never actually never seen hate. I heard about hate, heard about it from my ancestors. You know stories about my ancestors. I heard about it from my mom and my uncles. Never seen hate until Lebron decided to come to Miami. Then I started seeing hate up close. And hate is an ugly thing. And so it was a like for us man like, I think a part of us didn't understand, like, we're still young young men who.
Speaker 3: Are playing this game of basketball.
Speaker 5: We're boys, were traveling playing together, our kids get to grow up together, like we're excited about this, and then on the outside, everybody in the world is calling us all these things. And so it wasn't a joyous year to play basketball at all. And I think that was the one thing coming out of that year, even though we lost in it. And I always say, one of the best things that happened to us is that we lost in the finals. That well, one of the best things that happened to us media wise is that we lost in the finals. Because if we're the one in the finals in twenty ten, we was gonna be jacket.
Speaker 3: It was nothing.
Speaker 5: No one was gonna be able to say to us, we were going to be two, and so it humbled us. It put us at our level and allowed us to focus on what was real.
Speaker 1: And while we got together, it was reported that you guys all went went away. You you you. I think mellow. I think Chris, Paul and Lebron and all your families went away and you had a conversation with Lebron about it's okay, Bro.
Speaker 3: It's okay.
Speaker 2: I need you to be I need you to be you.
Speaker 5: No, I mean, that's not how it happened. Well, first of all, it wasn't a CPA, it wasn't mellow. It was the trip that everyone's talking about was just my wife, I, Savannah, Lebron, and a couple other friends of ours. Okay, And that was the trip where we started having different conversation.
Speaker 3: That was right after we lost.
Speaker 5: We had a couple of weeks away, and then we had this trip plane and we start having different conversations about while we lost, how we lost.
Speaker 2: And I just was.
Speaker 5: Sitting there as I always do, I sitting there listen, and I listened to I heard Lebron talk and everything that I was getting from.
Speaker 3: Lebron and that year, even though he had a great year, and even in that.
Speaker 5: Moment, was still hesitation, and so I for me, I was like, Okay, if we're going to reach the level that we're going to reach, and how I can help us it is to take that that hesitation out of one of the game's greatest players, because I watched him play and I know what he plays, how he plays when he has no.
Speaker 3: I shot two in a row. D Wade ain't the way.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, you know what I mean, Like, it's it's human nature, a d waiting how to bucket in a while. Let me, no bro, press on you that dude, Go be that dude. We're gonna do what we gotta do to make sure that you good and we good. Because this is ultimately about what we all sat down and said we want to do.
Speaker 3: We said we want to win rings.
Speaker 5: No one said that when I need an extra endorsement or you needed extraly this.
Speaker 3: We wanted to win rings.
Speaker 5: So for us to win rings in this day of age, you have to be who you are.
Speaker 3: And that's besides Kobe.
Speaker 5: It's the game's greatest player, right And so I can't stand in the way of that. I can't let my ego and my price center with it. And I said I was doing it in the beginning, but it was always like, hey, first year, I think we both ours twenty five a game. It was kind of even same shots, this same this, same possessions, coach, don't need to worry about that.
Speaker 3: You don't need to worry about that.
Speaker 5: I've always played around multiple players, I figured out.
Speaker 3: And that was our conversation.
Speaker 5: It happened after the trip that happened in the actual in the gym one day. It was Lebron coach Fizdale and myself and I told him right there I was, and I just remember the look on his face. He was kind of like puzzled looking at me, like you for real? And I was and so but at that point, I'm saying like it had to be bigger than me, which was hard to do because we all come in like check the name on the back. But I just had to look at myself in the mirror and say, this is not why you playing with Lebron, James and Chris Bosh. You're not playing with them to check the name on the back. You play with them to check the rings on your fingers.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 3: And so let's get to that.
Speaker 1: What happened in the math series, y'all better.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm, we got.
Speaker 2: You look at that a little bit.
Speaker 5: I mean the honest We got all aiden, got all coached, and if you go back and asks the players, you go back and the expo he got. The coaching staff got all coach and the players got all played. When it came down to winning. We didn't close our games, right. We had game you had a sixty boy lead Game.
Speaker 1: Two at home.
Speaker 3: We're fifteen.
Speaker 5: You don't lose that. We don't close our games. But that's bad. That's players and that's coaches.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: And so we got all coached by Rick Carlile and his staff, and.
Speaker 5: We got all played by uh Dirk and Jason Terry and JT J.
Speaker 2: Kid.
Speaker 1: But that little J. J.
Speaker 3: Barreer, Nobody give him credit. JJ Barreer was the one who changed.
Speaker 5: We didn't have no answer for him. We okay, Dirk, you know what you're gonna do. Let's just u d make his shots tough, make it hard on him. He try to make him not shoot fifty percent, make him have an off night, but he's still gonna get twenty. Jason Terry going right, you can't stop them, right. We knew all these things, but no one playing for little JJR to come off the bench. And do what he did right. And I look at him, I say, from a not from an MVP as an award, but from as a player who really helped push that series over.
Speaker 3: I give it to JJ because we didn't have no answer for him.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 5: And so we as a team, like obviously Lebron struggled. We talked about the everge seventeen points a game, players struggled and what sucked about it is because of everything that was talked about and all this, But at the end of the day, me as a leader, spoil as a head coach, we got to do a better.
Speaker 3: Job to make sure that he's not struggling.
Speaker 5: How are we getting him the ball in certain places to make it easier for him, because you know, as a player, all you need is one thing to go your way and to turn everything around.
Speaker 3: We didn't do enough of that for a guy who was struggling. For whatever the.
Speaker 5: Reason is, we all have had our struggles, and so as a leader I looked at him myself, I was like, you didn't do enough.
Speaker 3: D like and you will see a clip.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm cursing brown out, I'm in his ear, I'm talking to him, but that probably won't the way I should have done it. Maybe I should have done something else right, And so we were more talented, but they were a better team.
Speaker 2: Pat. I saw Pat Riley say so.
Speaker 1: Think that players came in his office and the manner that they fired that he fired the coach. It would reported you and yeah, I saw that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you didn't do that.
Speaker 3: I don't remember doing it.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying I didn't, but I don't remember doing that. I don't.
Speaker 5: I mean I knew coach Bowl at that time two years in. The one thing is is when when Lebron decides to talk about everything on his documentaries or whatever he decided to do, he would talk about what we talked about Riley as a coach versus Spore as a coach. And I'm meeting before we even played together. And one thing I told him, you don't want Riley to coach his team.
Speaker 3: Ain't got nothing to do with Pat love them. You don't want Ridley to coach his team.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 5: And even though was not experienced, and we needed a coach that was experienced so we can win championship right away. We're ready, We're gonna deal, We're gonna We're gonna help him grow.
Speaker 3: Now you don't want Godfather to come down.
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 3: He did it in two thousand and six. I experienced it.
Speaker 2: And you ready for him to go back? Yeah, what did you think that? What do you think past saw and Eric to say, you know what, No, this is the guy. He can get it done.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: He's turned himself into one of the best coaches in the NBA.
Speaker 5: Well if you see, that's once again why you don't listen to players at times, because if you listen to me.
Speaker 3: When they first hired Spae, I was like, what are you doing? This is the this is the wrong decision, right.
Speaker 5: I remember when Mickey and and Nick Harrison set me down and said, hey, we're we're bringing up up Spoe from them like spose in the video room and then he sat behind a bench and they was like, hey, we're gonna hire from within and and it's gonna be er exposure.
Speaker 3: And I was like, I'm looking for a big name coach, maybe I'm a star.
Speaker 1: I'm like, who we're gonna get Dog? And I knew I.
Speaker 5: Had a great relationship with because Will worked me out. He was my workout guy, right, So I liked Spo, but I didn't know as a coach, and so when he first got there, he was a terrible coach, but he was a great guy to prepare you. He was gonna work his ass off. No one was gonna outwork him, no one was gonna be more prepared to him.
Speaker 3: He just had to learn when the called timeouts, what plays to run out of timeouts, what league game like, all these things.
Speaker 5: That you got to learn as a coach. As a star player, I had to go to with coach. And that's why our relationship is what it is today because we went through this right, We went through thank you, this, and we went through all of it because the journey right of a young coach, and so.
Speaker 3: The whole we walked in and try to get him fired.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I was in that meeting.
Speaker 3: But maybe I was. I don't know. I don't remember that. I don't remember trying to get him fired.
Speaker 1: Lebron leaving Miami. Did you guys have a conversation? Did you know he was thinking about leaving Miami? And did you think he'd go back to Cleveland.
Speaker 5: I didn't know he was thinking about it right away. Man, we just had a four year run. That was not what I was thinking about I didn't think Cleveland was on the on the docket at all. Right, Once that letter came out four years probably, I was like, well, it's over for them.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, And so I was when we went into free agency that summer.
Speaker 3: I didn't think that we were we wasn't coming back, right.
Speaker 5: I thought we was going to retool, right, this is what teams do, they retool. And so once I started hearing the noise on the outside and I started hearing Cleveland, I started seeing things, I was like, oh, it's some true to the noise, some truth tot And I didn't even know it was a thing because we never talked about Hey, that was never our conversation. And so when I did get the information from him that he was headed back to Cleveland, I mean I took it like I'll take everything else. I took it on the chain because I'm not a selfish guy.
Speaker 3: I mean I do.
Speaker 5: I have selfish acts and selfish moments, but my whole being is not selfish. And so that's what that man want to do for his life. Like I support him doing it. I just got to now figure out my life because I had a whole different plan for how I wanted mind to go.
Speaker 3: And you know.
Speaker 5: One thing I told him in that moment we were sitting outside the plane. I think even the Cara crew might have got us talking because we had just flew back in from Vegas before the announcement was made the next day and we're sitting out there and I told him, I said, man, listen, everybody's gonna win no matter what do you do. If you stay here, we all win. Lebron James stays in Miami and we win. You go to Cleveland, Cleveland's gonna win. Ultimately. You gotta do what's best for Lebron right. And so if this is what's best for Lebron, James, Savannah, James, Bryce and Brownie and Missouri wasn't at that stage. If this was better for your family, you got my If you're looking for blessing for me, you got my blessing.
Speaker 3: Right, I'm not gonna hold you back.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 5: I gotta go deal with my side because I had a whole different mentality.
Speaker 3: I opted out of my deal. I did all these things because.
Speaker 5: I'm like, hey, we retooling, right, And so a lot of people like to say, like, was it a part of me. That was a little pissed. Yeah, I'm human. I don't want to lose the best player in the game.
Speaker 1: What do we do? Why did we lose him? Right?
Speaker 5: And also too now I got to figure out my future, right because I've given up a lot of my stardom and not giving up my place for you to for you step in and have lead us.
Speaker 3: And so it took me a while.
Speaker 5: And Brian and I had a conversation later once before I got to Cleveland about that moment and how I felt right like and how he felt. We sat down his man and we talked about that moment and we moved on from it.
Speaker 1: That was a difficult time for you because you gave up twenty million dollars that wasn't repaid to you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you don't get money back. Hey, money don't come back.
Speaker 1: People. You can make more, but you ain't getting that. You ain't gonna get I don't care.
Speaker 3: Nobody tell y'all you can't recruit that money.
Speaker 1: No, the current.
Speaker 2: Miami heat, I've never seen it, d Wade. I'm a little older you.
Speaker 1: I'm a lot older to you, and I followed the game probably longer than you've been alive. I've never seen anybody like Jimmy Butler. I've never seen a guy play one way in the regular season and then play another way in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: I've never seen it.
Speaker 3: Need not at the levels he No.
Speaker 1: Yes, how does a guy that's you know, I mean, he's a good player, don't get me wrong, But if you look at a playoff you're talking about history. He's he has historically great playoff game.
Speaker 3: How does he do that?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean I don't know how he doesn't. But what I would say, what I learned you guys are welcome for me going to Chicago. By the way, what I say what I learned about Jimmy when I got a chance to be around him in Chicago for the season is some players lead with their IQ. Lebron will break down a whole fourth quarter few every play in the press conference, and you're like, oh, man, he's the smartest basketball player because he has a high IQ. Jimmy Butler don't lead with his IQ. Jimmy Butler leads with his toughness. Jimmy Butler is one of the smartest basketball players that I've ever been around. Right, It's just it's just how you decide to look at it. So when the playoffs come, everything slows down, right, you get to learn everyone Tennessee and all this, so you ain't got to be traveling playing a different one opponent. This is one of the smartest players that I've ever been around. Also too, in the midst of being a smart player, some players have that switch that they can turn on. Everyone doesn't have it, but certain players have it. Jimmy Butler has shown us over his career, and you go back in all the playoffs, You're like, oh, damn, Jimmy was in that Eastern Conference final. Jimmy was and that Jimmy wasn't that He's been a part of teams, he saw players he likes.
Speaker 3: He's a student. He watched Derick Rose.
Speaker 5: He watched me when I came into Chicago, like he was everywhere I was at. Jimmy was at because he wanted that knowledge, right, and so you put his work ethics.
Speaker 3: That he has that is second or nine.
Speaker 5: You put the confidence that Miami give them to say, hey, you the guy right, like, think about it. All we want sometime is to be seen. Yes, Miami was like, yo, Jimmy, you watched this off. Oh I see you you.
Speaker 3: Crazy, all right, you go crazy, match at crazy, Let's go do this.
Speaker 5: You give him that confidence. And also too, you give someone who's smart. And also and Jimmy's like Jordan in the sense in this way, he's always looking for something to piss him off.
Speaker 3: So in the New York Serious I was like, oh, he had Tis. He's all about Tis.
Speaker 5: He then made some stuff up about what Tim did him when Timson did.
Speaker 3: Everything for him.
Speaker 5: He made something Tims pissed him off in practice of Minnesota, and he was like, it was ain't about the Knicks, It's about Tibbs. So he has that he can go to that level where he can zone out and focus on one thing or somebody, and so he just it's everyone can't.
Speaker 3: Do that, right, He has a switch.
Speaker 1: Right. They say he's a tough teammate. To have coaches saying he's a tough player to coach, why.
Speaker 5: Because he gonna do it his way, you know, to be coaching, we got to do what the coach say.
Speaker 1: That ain't Jimmy don I'm not saying he's.
Speaker 5: A bad player, like a bad teammate or a bad person. Jimmy knows the game. Jimmy knows the work he puts in the game, right, he's very committed to that.
Speaker 3: No one is going to work me.
Speaker 5: No one is gonna know this better than me, not even you, coach, So you can't just throw something out there at Jimmy.
Speaker 3: He's going to.
Speaker 5: Challenge you on He asked you why we do it that it gonna challenge you, right? And you you want your you want your best players to challenge you. That's how it makes your better coach. But when you get a reputation in a space that they don't want you to challenge right.
Speaker 3: Now, you're a problem, your bad. Yeah, you go into a situation where they're like, oh, you're challenging me, let me challenge you back. Okay, that was a good challenge. Tap it up, let's go. And that's what he found.
Speaker 5: So he found a home in a place that they both got a little. Miami ain't for everybody, and Jimmy Butler is not for everybody, and so Minnesota, Philly, Chicago they experienced Jimmy is not for everyone because Jimmy is going to challenge you.
Speaker 3: He's going to challenge your organization.
Speaker 5: And now I said, he's gonna walk in and say demand players he's going to challenge you to play at his level.
Speaker 3: He's going to challenge you to be where he is.
Speaker 5: And work how he works and all these things, and so no one likes to be challenged.
Speaker 3: You a problem if you challenge me.
Speaker 1: You mentioned earlier that you were very, very surprised that Lebron went back to Cleveland, given that the letter that Dan Gibber, the owner who had worked so closely with Lebron James, with the things that he said, because now all of a sudden, it's not about basketball, you've made it personal. How is Lebron Lebron is a very forgiving person because there are guys that's taking shots at it that he's willing to embrace again like, oh now we may we cool later for that.
Speaker 2: How is he able to forget because you know we don't. We're not. Most people aren't.
Speaker 1: As forgiving or as forgetful as he is, especially when you say, look, if you say something to me in private, just me, and you know, okay, cool, like I don't rock with you.
Speaker 2: No more but cool.
Speaker 1: But when you put it out there for twenty five one hundred million people to read, nah, I can't rock with you on that level.
Speaker 3: No, more Bron, Yeah, bigger man than me?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: How do he?
Speaker 1: I'm penny, Yeah, how did he set that aside?
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't know, like, And that's why I never thought Cleveland was in play, right, you know what I mean? Not saying that I never thought he was gonna be a Miami forever like you want thinking that way, But I never thought Cleveland was in play because I'm and so if I was going off for how I would have done it.
Speaker 3: No, I'm not coming back to you. But at the same time, man Lebron has a journey and it's.
Speaker 5: Bigger than a letter that Dan Gilbert could put out. It's bigger than what someone's sitting across the table from. You may say it's bigger than because when you like, he's been King James since he was twelve years old.
Speaker 3: He has had a vision for how he wants this to go.
Speaker 5: And if you allow all these individuals to get in the way of your vision, then it becomes theirs. What they want for your career, that's what he wants for his right And so I looked at that move going back to Cleveland. Is this man, first of all, bigger man than me in that moment to go back. But it wasn't about Dan Gilbert. It wasn't about the Cleveland Cavaliers. It's about Lebron James and his family and what he wanted to accomplish and how he see his career going and so to be able to fly higher than most people, right like Lebron playing has been at forty thousand since he took off, right like mine, here's some turbleines we landed.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, I landed my play.
Speaker 5: Back at twenty nineteen. He's been at forty thousand and higher since he started. And so to be at that level you have to look above, and he looked above and got what he needed for his career, right yeah. I think the most interesting thing that you I'm sorry in his community because that was important. I promise, yeah, and I say that and I'm sorry interrupt, but I say that to say when he went back, he implemented something that was bigger than basketball.
Speaker 3: That's when you was like, I see you.
Speaker 5: He implemented, I promise, he implemented the schools, which now has implemented the housing. And it was about the community of Cleveland that he wanted to He wanted them to feel like winners, right, And in the midst of it, yeah, we all have. I feel is about how and why because that's we're human. But if I'm looking at it from his standpoint, I'm like, oh, I see you, you.
Speaker 3: You up here. We all was like, we all was down here looking up like, Bro, you shouldn't.
Speaker 1: Do that, right the Wade, I think you're a phenomenal basketball player. You've accomplished a lie, But I think your greatest accomplishment is the way you've embraced your child wanting to transition. That's not an easy thing to do, because we all have. If you have a daughter, you have an idea what you think your daughter was going to be or what you wanted to become. If you have a son, you have an idea of what you want, especially if you played sports. I want my son to play sports, either the doctor. If I'm a doctor, I want my son to be a doctor, lawyer, YadA, YadA, YadA. But for you to embrace Zaia, to embrace her journey, how did you come to because obviously you had to sit down and you had a conversation. She comes to you when she sits down and she says, Dad, this is how I'm feeling. This is how I'm thinking. And you say, what, well, it's not my journey.
Speaker 5: Like, I'm not that selfish. I can't make your journey in your life about me, right, Like, I just can't do that. Yes, And I was telling someone this the other day when Zaia was born. She was born May twenty ninth, which is Carmelo's birthday, right right, birthday to my brother. Toast to my brother on his retirement. By the way, told some this this right.
Speaker 3: Here, listen about this fire. So if y'all go look at it.
Speaker 5: I have Zion Lebron, has Bryce Mellow, has Kanye all within about a two three week span, all that kids on girl hooping together.
Speaker 1: Oh we we all, Well we're gonna have three we all.
Speaker 5: So yeah, like obviously I had a boy. I had another boy that was my second boy in the room. I'm like, okay, this is what we do with hooping family, and see what happens when you start making plans for other people out right.
Speaker 2: That's her journey, that's her journey. But you played that, you played.
Speaker 3: Oh you couldn't tell me we were't gonna be on the circuit right now, babe. We were hooping, We got weaved in the bag, you got to wear waves on. We're doing it too.
Speaker 5: Then I got to meet my child, and a lot of people like to talk about Zia's transition. To me, Zaia hasn't transitioned into anything but a kid and now a young going into a young adult. I've watched her go through life. It hasn't been no transition for us. It's been a transition for the world. But for us, I see the same kid that I've seen since May twenty ninth, two thousand and what seven, nothing has changed.
Speaker 1: Did you know where their signs?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Did she? Because you know, boy, if you play with trucks, girls play with dogs.
Speaker 2: You know, girls dress up, boys do this. So you saw signs at a very early age.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that much.
Speaker 1: He's not like what I'm thinking a boy should be or what I was when I was that age.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean think about this. I mean, you're in the locker room. I'm in the locker yea right, we don't we we we ignit. I'm say ignit.
Speaker 5: And so I come from a culture of men throwing around the F words, yes, yes, around the gay word, yes, just like it's high by right, just throwing it around. Right, And so I have a child at home that we're basketball, baseball, we're doing what you do, Hey, let's play this. I have a try to home. It's like I don't want that. I want to take I want to go that. I want to take dance lessons. Okay, well let's go to dance. I would try to home when I come home. She got the shirt wrapped around her head like it's like long hair. I gotta try at home that I'm watching, we're certain things that's different than what I would buy for my son, right, right. And so this is at three years old. So I'm in my home my wife, and now we have a conversation about it. And for me, instead of walking in and.
Speaker 1: Say hey, stop that ship.
Speaker 3: Cut that ship, like like people got to do that.
Speaker 5: I got to stop you when you're doing when you're doing something for you that they don't like.
Speaker 3: Right, So instead of.
Speaker 5: Me walking in the room and say you stop that ship, it was my job to sit back and say, okay, let's have a conversation.
Speaker 3: Was alight and let's see where this goes.
Speaker 5: And so my first conversation with her is about hey, understanding what you like to wear? And how you like to be in the house right outside of his house. They're not ready for that, right right. I don't even know if we were ready for that. And so we slowly just let her be who she wanted.
Speaker 3: To be in our home.
Speaker 2: Is that your first wife or this God?
Speaker 1: This is what God be?
Speaker 3: Who you want to be in our home? And we're gonna watch it.
Speaker 5: We're gonna learn alone this journey because at that moment, I think, you know. And the thing that's a blessing in my life is that I that I that I got with my wife at the time I got my wife, because.
Speaker 3: It exposed me to the world. It exposed me to friends I have.
Speaker 5: Some of my best friends are Jason and the There. Well everybody knows it's my style of Jason. His husband is a there. I got a chance to be exposed to them early. And we all have our thoughts about like how we perceive people who you know are gay, right, who are man and man?
Speaker 3: It was a woman and woman, we like that, but this man and man we have our perception, right.
Speaker 5: So I got a chance to spend time with him, being around them, a vacation with them, all this and that, and I'm like, what the perception that I had, It's not even a question in my mind.
Speaker 3: That was my friends. I don't look at them. I don't look at they're they're married, they love each other, they argue like we argue all the same nothing.
Speaker 1: So that's their life.
Speaker 5: I had experience. And so in the midst of that experience through the world because I was out of my community, I was out of what my uncles and my dad and everybody you told me, I'm now looking at the world and I'm looking at my child. And so I got a chance to watch my child nine years before the world even heard about Zia. So when everyone started telling me what my child is, I'm like, how you gonna.
Speaker 1: I've been with a whole while.
Speaker 3: And I talked to my child. Do you talk to my child? Because I do.
Speaker 5: And so I sat down and talked to my child about as she was growing up, about the things she wanted. And I tried to make sure that the things that she wanted, what she would work hard at, was presented to her, not what I wanted. And that's the problem with us is we're gonna and and and I would like to say this because of the NBA or because of my basketball talents, and because of all these things, I've been put in a position where I actually could wait and allow my kids to grow up and I don't have to say, hey, I need help with.
Speaker 3: These bills, Hey you gotta do this. You got to be that because.
Speaker 5: Some communities, some households, they have to do that because of their circumstances. We don't have time to figure out who you want to be and what you want to do. We had that figure out your time, right and then now you get you get kids who's later in their life. They didn't have their relationship with their parents early on because their parents had to make them whatever the culture was, whatever.
Speaker 3: The time was. Our time was different.
Speaker 5: So we had an opportunity to sit back and say, you know what, I don't want all.
Speaker 3: My kids to be exactly the same anyway. So you know what, my three year old son at this time, Zaia, let me live Zion, let me see what, let me see what Zion want to do.
Speaker 5: And slowly but surely Zaia started growing and we started watching ain't not a second of this is Zia like.
Speaker 3: That's why it's funny to me.
Speaker 5: I'm like in the world, I'm like everybody on the outside, I got something to say, And the inside.
Speaker 3: We're talking about school.
Speaker 5: We're talking about like like I sit down with my child, we talk about Hey, okay, so the doctor said this, what do we gotta do, Like, let's talk about your health, Let's talk about what the future looks like. I'm talking about real life things, right, because everybody on the outside got a pursu aout that gossip, because.
Speaker 3: The gossip is we all the same.
Speaker 5: Tell me, let's go into all these communities in LA and you're gonna see everybody's different, Everyone lives different, everyone is different, everyone loves different. So because I'm an athlete, and because you know I had a I have a boy at birth, y'all expect that this boy is supposed to do x y Z, just like Zaire had expectation. Y'all expect him to be the NBA superstar because I had him and blah blah blah. So everyone else on the outside have the expectations of my family and my key. How you're gonna have expectations of my feeling and my kids when I'm still learning and I'm still.
Speaker 1: Trying to still trying to figure it out.
Speaker 5: I'm trying to figure it out because I didn't grow up in this in this environment. So let me check myself, because if I make it about me, I'm gonna have a kid that's gonna go through life, that's gonna be miserable, there's gonna go through life. I think the statistics on kids, especially in the transgender community, when it comes to suicide, it's very high. Right when you don't be when you're not seen, when you're not seeing, just as a person who get up every day and work hard and grind, you got a problem with it, right, You got a problem when no one sees you. So I got a kid in my house that I can't see and I don't take time to look at and see, then this kid is gonna feel unloved and on wanting from from the father who's mother.
Speaker 3: You guys know my situation right. My ex wife is very public, very public.
Speaker 1: Very natural.
Speaker 3: I'm the parent in the house.
Speaker 5: I have to see you, I have to hear you, and so my child and I have a very open, honest, straight for right between the eyes relationship about the journey who you are, what you're experiencing, because I don't know, because I've never experienced that and it was never shown to me that it was Hey, it was never it was never presented to me.
Speaker 3: And so being in a position that.
Speaker 5: I'm in as a father, it's my job to understand, to be able to say, Okay, everybody, I don't want y'all commenting on my life. I don't want y'all comment on my daughter's gender, my daughter's sexuality.
Speaker 3: That's not what I want.
Speaker 5: But because we're public figures, and because I know it's other kids in the world like Zion, as other dads in the world like me, and it will be forever because we all are not the same, right, then I allowed, then I share a little bit of her journey, a little bit of our journey, because we're both going to the journey that native one of us knew we will be on, right like this, this entire journey, And so I don't think about I think about the safety of my kid.
Speaker 3: I think about the safety of other kids in the trans community.
Speaker 5: I think about, you know, how the world is trying to hush and and and exile entire community like you do not exist as black people.
Speaker 1: Do we know about that? We do?
Speaker 3: Damn right, we do. And we the main ones that are talking about the trans community.
Speaker 5: We the main ones that won't open and accept and we want the world accept us, like what are we doing? And so I'm playing a different plan field that most people who comment on my life because I understand the position that I'm in a lot of black families in the communities they don't see or hear, don't get a chance to hear these stories from us, don't get a chance to see these things from us. And so, yeah, I'm sure to a lot of people, I look crazy. I don't care about looking crazy to y'all, I care about making sure that I'm there for my kids.
Speaker 1: How difficult is it not to have the support of the other parent with what Zaia is going through? And I think the thing is that that probably what Zaia wants most is for her parents to understand the journey that she's chose to embark upon and be accepting of that journey that she and barking a pun and you have accepted it, jumped on this thing with both feet. But it seems like he's getting some resistance from a mother. Is that difficult for you because you see it's hurting the child.
Speaker 3: It's difficult. It's difficult for me. So I can't even imagine what it's like for her.
Speaker 2: Did she talk to you about it? Does she have a relationship with her mom?
Speaker 5: She has whatever relationship that she wants to have. I assume she's sixteen years old. Yeah, you know she's getting older, and so you know the relationship is controlled by phones. Now she lived my mother doesn't live here, right, she lives in my home.
Speaker 2: But you don't.
Speaker 1: You don't force Zaia to pick up the phone and call her mom. You don't force the mom to like call cause you know sometimes you know kids like did you call you that? Ever, my daughter came to live with me, My oldest daughter came to stay with me, and her mom would get into it, you know how women get into it, and she'd go, day what I call her? I said, no, we're not gonna do that. Pick up the phone and call you whatever you got going on, no matter how you mad at her, she's mad at you. We're not gonna do that.
Speaker 2: You don't do that.
Speaker 3: They don't have that relationship. That's a different relationship. It got to be both ways.
Speaker 5: And you're talking about a kid like isaiahs. She's way advanced, way, she's way above everybody.
Speaker 3: Thinks she is.
Speaker 5: You're talking about a kid who has experienced something that I don't even know about when it comes to the relationship that she's.
Speaker 3: Had to try to have with a mother.
Speaker 5: She's been living with me since she was two and a half three years old, and as I said very openly, like my wife ain't any part of all this. And so what I will do is I will give credit to my wife who has stepped in and stepped out and become a figure, not a mother, that's not a mom, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: I know it's titled step mom bonus moms.
Speaker 5: She's become a consistent figure in her life and as a woman who she they can have conversations and talk about things that I just can't help her with in the midst.
Speaker 3: Of all of what's going on.
Speaker 5: Like I only know what I know, and I only know what questions I can go out and ask, right, But they have different conversations that I can.
Speaker 3: It's different.
Speaker 5: Trust, So you know, for you know, I remember watching my dad step up and be a stepdad, and I didn't I just knew it was a lot of other kids around.
Speaker 3: I ain't know really what it meant, right, But to be.
Speaker 5: That's a heroic position to be to step in to someone else's child. Yeah, become an important figure in their lives. And she has been in this journey because I would be lost if it was just men ziay out here on this journey, right. And so to be able to have not only my wife, to be able to have our community, it allows us to be able to go through all this feeling like we have armor.
Speaker 1: You might be the biggest de sire in yourself, might be the biggest advocate for the trans community because who you are, and you can put someone famous because like you said, they'll hurry like man, nobody know who you guys are. Nobody even cares about you.
Speaker 2: But you give it a face, you give it a name.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this the wade I mean, because like you said, you had zias issues two and a half in zaire your oldest son. How was it being in the NBA and being a single path.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, first of all, I had, My community is large, it's not noning. Ever, like I didn't get divorced and.
Speaker 2: Like, yo, let me get them kids.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was like, let me get these get in these straights, getting these Miami Street.
Speaker 1: At getting these Miami be nice. I'm like that what I got? What the two kids at the crib?
Speaker 3: Yeah you said? It changed everything? And for me, man, I wrote a book about it.
Speaker 5: You know how my life became bigger than basketball because at that moment when I had to fight for custody, because it became I had to fight for crusty, because it wasn't just hey, joint cussy, let's raise these kids. It became for me it was like, Okay, what's the most important thing in your life? It's basketball more important than your kids.
Speaker 1: For you to get them the wade you played, You an NBA player, You're a professional athlete. For the judge just say nah the kids going with him?
Speaker 2: Do you know what that means?
Speaker 3: I know, I know. Yeah, I dealt with it all.
Speaker 2: I've dealt with y'all.
Speaker 1: Hey, for a father to get custody of the kids, it's not a it's not an easy task.
Speaker 5: It's not and I mean it's a lot of you know, a lot of things I could say about that, but I'm very thankful that I did get custody at the time I did, especially being Zia's father. There's been a way different journey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, bazire if because it seems like your your ex is not as accepting of her situation as you are.
Speaker 3: My age don't live in my world neither. She don't live in our world.
Speaker 1: Understand, But she doesn't understand. She's not she's not she's not exposed to, like you said, your stylists and her husband and his husband and some of the community that you've been exposed to since Iia has undertaken this, this this transition to try in the world.
Speaker 3: And I go everywhere, I go to communities all around the world.
Speaker 5: I see I see difference in everywhere and everybody see different.
Speaker 3: Ways that husband and wife live. It's so many different ways.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm fibe. I don't care what you do.
Speaker 1: I'm vibing you cool, husband, husband, you cool, We cool, and you you all some stuff.
Speaker 2: I'm some stuff too. I'm a vide right.
Speaker 5: So if she's not, she's not exposed to the life that I've been able to do. Well, it's a lot of people that I know that's not exposed. Now they become accepting of it because the love for me, my family, Zia, or just because they feel like they need to be just to stay in the fold. But when it comes to how I'm able to love and accept from what I learned growing up. It's because of my experiences and where I've been people that I've been able to.
Speaker 3: Get connected to you.
Speaker 5: If you haven't been able to do that, if your passport ain't stamped, if your relationships ain't larger than the ones you grew up with in your community, you're gonna stay at a certain level of thinking and how it should be. The world looks so different than it did when I grew up in Robins, Illinois, and so the world is colorful, man, it's beautiful, it's unique, and my daughter's a part of that colorful, beautiful, unique world, and so why not embrace her just like I want to be accepted. I want to be embraced, right like we all want to be embrace and accepted.
Speaker 3: For who we are.
Speaker 5: And so I don't When I look at my daughter, I look at someone just like me, that's trying to be accepted, that's trying to learn, that's trying to grow, that's trying to exist in this world. And I don't look at gender. I don't look at sexuality. I don't look at her choices and how she want to be when them doors closed.
Speaker 1: I don't want to know what you do. She don't want to know what we do.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean? And so it's my job to make sure alone this journey she's growing up, that I sit with her.
Speaker 5: I have conversation with her doctor about Hey, how does this journey affect my daughter?
Speaker 3: How does it affect her her mind? How does it affect her physical? How does whatever it is? I need to learn this stuff of sitting there like, nah, nah, you ain't. You ain't do that? Why would I do that?
Speaker 1: Why would I?
Speaker 5: She gonna get to her life real soon, she'd be eighteen, it's happening. So why would I stunt your growth as a as a human being while youre living under my room?
Speaker 3: Before? I know one day you're gonna better do what you want to do. So this is, this is what you want to do. You wanna play sports, you want to dance, you want to do this.
Speaker 5: Let me help you do it because we have resources, we have people we can contact, We have people that you know what I mean, that could open up doors. And so for me, man, it's parenting is not making you in my likeness.
Speaker 3: You look like me, That's enough. It but you're not me, and so I gotta get to know you.
Speaker 5: And a lot of parents either don't want to do it because that's actually been a parent, can't do it because of circumstances, can't do it because once again circumstances of how community gonna look at you, how the man gonna look at.
Speaker 3: You at work?
Speaker 5: Like I understand the journey. I understand that everyone can't just be accepted and open arms about it.
Speaker 3: I get it. But also in the midst of just understand that you're stunning the growth of your kids.
Speaker 5: We have a small window when we have an impact on our kids' lives, right small, A small a small window that's ending in my life?
Speaker 3: Was I she turned sixteen? Yeah, as we go on, I'll still be but that impact and that voice that.
Speaker 2: I have fun of your Ruth, she'll be out on your own.
Speaker 5: And then so what am I teaching her? What lesson is I'm gonna teach her about the world that she's going out in. That the world only looks this way. No, baby, the world is unique. The world is colorful. So my daughter is gonna she's going on on this world and she's finding people that that looks like her that talks like her, that has the same dreams as her, the same thoughts as her. Just like I did the NBA, I found people that was connected with me and that was my community. And so we just got it's just a different community than me. And and that's just I just look at it different.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: Man, you you still on there? I mean, you be blown up there the man, I'm I'm listening.
Speaker 3: I don't know how I'm always in pop culture.
Speaker 2: Man, you are you and Gabby my wife?
Speaker 1: Your wife? Because she made the comment about you and her split fifty to fifty you can you can.
Speaker 3: You get into that?
Speaker 2: Can you clarify what you mean? Come that's bad into that little that's that's very unique.
Speaker 1: I've never heard of a situation, especially a married couple.
Speaker 2: O can we daity?
Speaker 1: I think it might be you know, hey, I got the movie ticket, You get the popcord and the cabby. You know what, they take it out to dinner. You you leave the tip, you do the valet. But she's like fifty to fifty household, and I think she kind of explained it. But you gotta be y'all got you here so you get.
Speaker 3: You know what I was saying. I was like, you know what's crazy when you have it's think pieces that's going around the world about me and my wife.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: And I haven't said I haven't given no color to this, right, but it's think pieces going around about me as a man.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, that's make that man make his Wife's been fifty the man is there?
Speaker 2: So the same thing, too deep with that gonna lie?
Speaker 3: You saw the same thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you make up as I see how you gonna make that woman pay? He got all that cheese, he makingna pay fifty?
Speaker 3: All right, So let's talk about it. I'm talking about it. So the whole fifty to fifty concepts.
Speaker 5: Okay, So I understand what fifty to fifty means, right, Fifty to fifty means that everything in life. You got your half and I got my hat, and we're gonna put this shit together, try to make a hundred.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, we're bout to about with the groceres you put in the hood that I put it.
Speaker 3: That's how fifty fifty goes. That is not how our relationship works, all right. We don't see everybody think fifty fifty. They think, hey, if he getting a sign wich you got to put fifty percent on that. He got one hundred, two hundred. Whatever people think I got, that's not how it works. Fifty to fifty in our household is.
Speaker 5: First of all, let's say I have twenty to fifty responsibilities and my wife have twenty to fifty responsibilities.
Speaker 3: And when I say that, that means she has a mother, she.
Speaker 5: Has a sister's, she has her dad, she has her she has a lot of things that she's responsible for.
Speaker 3: Right, you know what she does, she pays one hundred percent of that.
Speaker 2: Right you know what I do.
Speaker 3: I pay one hundred percent of my life. When our life come together.
Speaker 5: My wife is a working actress who spends time away from the family to go work.
Speaker 3: Do our bild.
Speaker 5: We decided together because I think I said one time we was in Miami.
Speaker 3: I said something about it be in my house that I paid for.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 5: Wife looked at me. She was like, you will never say that to me again when it's something that we share. And so my wife was like that when we move to La I.
Speaker 3: Got half on it. You will never say my house again.
Speaker 5: Wow, she said, you can say that in arena, And so in our life at home, fifty to fifty. We purchased it together, right, our daughter. Anything that goes on our daughter, fifty to fifty, we share it together. Now it's some things I pick up or something she picked up. But she does something I does.
Speaker 3: I do something. Right, if we take a if we.
Speaker 5: Take a yacht trip, we could do it fifty to fifty, or I can do it myself. But my wife is a working woman, right, She's a boss and an independent woman her own life. She's like, I'm gonna put you know what, that little two hundred, that little two hundred that she was gonna spend on this, I'm gonna throw something else on that We're gonna go on a bigger trip.
Speaker 3: We gotta ball out, like this is my wife, right, Like I don't know about y'all, but I like having a wife. That's like, that's cool, you can do that.
Speaker 5: The house we live in, thank God, and hidding heels nice house, right whatever millions, we could have had a house, a nice house on my fifty percent too, right, it'd been nice. She was like, no, let me put something else on and let us live a little different.
Speaker 2: Oh, they got a little bigger.
Speaker 5: So we probably shared three things in our life that were fifty fifty on right. Everything else, I'm one thousand percent and she's one thousand percent right. And so we decided that certain pieces of our life we would share in it.
Speaker 1: But d Wade, that.
Speaker 2: Works for y'all.
Speaker 1: Why why does it matter if it's seventy five twenty five, if it's if it's eighty five fifteen.
Speaker 2: That's your life.
Speaker 1: Why everybody is so consumed what goes on in everybody else household when they household f up?
Speaker 3: Well, listen, that's a whole nother story. And that's just the word I go to sleep.
Speaker 2: They're like, oh, man, you see that d Wade making his wife. I mean, I was just saying. I was just joking.
Speaker 3: I wish, I wish, I wish, I wish I could make my I don't make my wife do anything. First of all, if I could, we wouldn't been the headlines all the time. I'd be like, when you stopped talking, you know what I'm saying, my wife is.
Speaker 2: She gonna respond?
Speaker 1: Now you say something, you say something, you get out of the pocket with us.
Speaker 3: Listen, if my wife had this microphone way before I did, y'all been watching Bring It On for a long.
Speaker 1: Time, right, She been bringing it on for a long time.
Speaker 5: So like when she say fifty fifty and people take a clip of it, yeah, I understand. Like I listen, I listened to all the things pieces I laugh. I'm like, okay, that's the point right there.
Speaker 1: I get that, but that ain't how we live.
Speaker 3: But I understand your point.
Speaker 2: They took it in this little interpretation that.
Speaker 3: You're fifty fifty everything. Now, it don't work like that.
Speaker 5: I do all right for myself, but in certain moments that we want to do better together, we do better together.
Speaker 3: And what And first of all, listen, I told my wife. I said, hey, baby, listen, you're not about to be taking all this time away from the family building your wealth while I'm spending all mine.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: I don't know where they do that at.
Speaker 1: All I know is you know what I mean? She come home, be like baby, it was good. I'll move on from you.
Speaker 6: And I have spent all my cheese. Shene build all her You know what, I told us how many kids I have before we started? I asked wives, like all kind of stuff, right when cheese go all over the place. She's just building on her cheese and I'm spending on mine. Listen why they do that at you know what way talking?
Speaker 2: You know what in that bob?
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. Oh, now, I ain't do this by myself though, I been have a little wig.
Speaker 5: About So everybody think fifty to fifty means that, hey baby, I need Hey baby, I'm gonna go get this sandwich.
Speaker 3: You got, you got, you got ten dollars on it.
Speaker 5: Right, come on, y'all, y'all got y'all gotta y'all gotta be come on man like, y'all gotta stop this.
Speaker 3: You're gonna stop this small thinking man.
Speaker 2: Right, I'm glad you cleared that up. But she did. She's like, yeah, I signed the prenup because what are you have before he met me? Is what a you ha before he met me?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: What we accumulate together, that's what we got.
Speaker 3: But what we rock with? Yeah, yeah, and what she has like and that's the thing.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: Now I told her the same way.
Speaker 1: I'll signed a prenump too.
Speaker 3: Right. You a millionaire, you got money, you work hard for yourself. You should.
Speaker 2: I think everybody, I think everybody should have.
Speaker 3: A prenumb Why not you're getting assurance, don't you.
Speaker 1: Because your people? I mean, I ain't happy when I didn't have anything. I said, I'm gonna sign a prenup. They're like, Sean, why are you gonna sign a product? You ain't got nothing. I say, so, if I leave, I want one hundred percent of my nothing.
Speaker 2: I don't want fifty nothing nothing.
Speaker 3: I don't want nothing. I want all of But what I don't want to do is if she decided to move on from me, she got two hundred and I.
Speaker 2: Got ten, exactly exactly.
Speaker 3: I've been spending all my money and all these dance recitals, all these games, all these trips, everything, and I just stable. Oh man, take care of everything I do. I take care of my mama. I take care of my daddy. I take care of boom boom boom boom boom.
Speaker 5: When it comes to me and my wife, I take care like this and another thing. We're go on trips, were on all this stuff, y'all see the big trips. Now my wife will put it on a big trip. It's a whole calendar year where I had to step in and I have to make sure that the relationship is spicy, that is sexy, and my credit card gets used through everything.
Speaker 1: You feel me? Yeah, so yeah, we fifty fifty and three.
Speaker 5: I got about fifty to one hundred things that I paid for that I'm responsible for everybody, So thank y'all for the thing piece.
Speaker 1: You have a Zobbie, your youngest daughter Kavea Cavia that you through surrogency, and you said that you and your wife had a lot, a lot of miscarriagters and you had a conversation with her. You sided that one night, say maybe come on that I can't keep putting you through this because you saw the pain and the anguish that it was causing her, and she's hurting. You're hurting even more because you know how bad she wants to be a mother. Yeah, being the step mother is fine, but there's something about your own.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you saw the pain that it was causing her, and you said, baby, we ain't.
Speaker 1: Got to do this no more.
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What was that?
Speaker 2: How?
Speaker 1: How?
Speaker 2: What was that conversation?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: It was a tough conversation.
Speaker 5: As a man, you want to you want to stay out the way and get out the way when it comes to this whole birthday conversation about.
Speaker 3: Kids because you won't do much right a minute job.
Speaker 1: You don't do much, so you know.
Speaker 5: It took me a long time to even say that to my wife because I knew what was important for her and also knew what was important for us.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: She knew I wanted a daughter, she knew I wanted to, you know, to grow my family. She knew I wanted to grow our family. Once we start having conversations about right, a family, right, and to watch her go down the journey if anybody know the journey.
Speaker 3: It's a lot of shots. Yeah, it's a lot of doctor physics.
Speaker 5: It's a lot of things to make you feel like you're not like that, you're not a whole person, that you're empty, that you don't have this, that you don't have that.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of because did you feel less than a woman?
Speaker 2: Because you.
Speaker 5: But it's a lot of steps leading to that that make you feel less than right because it.
Speaker 3: Could take someone over here like this.
Speaker 1: You can have twelve kids.
Speaker 5: And so being there, all the conversations with the doctors, all the conversations with my wife, all the pain, all the helping her take shots, all of watching her take shots, all watch for five years. The miscarriage is that at the end of the day, for me, I was like baby like I married you. I want to go down this journey of life with you. We don't know how long this jurney gonna last.
Speaker 3: And so what is what this is doing is this is taken away from you. Is putting your.
Speaker 5: Health in harm's way. This picture don't work without you. So if it's no you, it ain't no expending this family. And so it became a point where it started becoming dangerous for her to continue to keep doing all the things she was doing.
Speaker 3: For all the years.
Speaker 5: And so that was a hard conversation for me to have because I'm not doing nothing. I'm just holding your hand, I'm just supporting, just listening. My body is physically not going through any of these things. And so I don't want to step in in the way of our dreams and your journey. But the end of the day, the journey, don't this picture. Don't this picture Now, we got to have a star in this movie, and you the star in this movie. And so she listened because that's what it was about.
Speaker 3: It was about getting to the ultimate goal of having you know, ourmericle chap, having our daughter right. And every day I look at my daughter, man, I smile at her.
Speaker 5: Because she don't even know how how much work went into getting her here, how much her mother wanted her, how much her her dad wanted her, and everybody around, the doctors and the surrogate mother and all the people that helped her, helped us get to this point where to every day wake up and hear daddy and hear mommy.
Speaker 3: From my daughter.
Speaker 1: Right, I'm gonna get you out of here on this one, d way, there was some infidelity in the relationship, or there's something that transpired, Was it harder for you to sit down and have a conversation and to tell her that something had happened outside the relationship? Or losing the finals.
Speaker 5: Way harder to have a conversation with my now wife right, who wasn't at the time, but my now wife about it, like, you try to.
Speaker 3: Think of everything possible.
Speaker 1: Because you think about what you're gonna say, and you're also thinking about how she's going to react.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, you're thinking about it all. It's all scary.
Speaker 1: One.
Speaker 5: The whole situation is scary enough. Your public figure, that's yeah, yeah, but you you've heard you know that this is going to it's gonna hurt that you've been building a relationship with and a life with Right And no matter what people say on the outside or what people want, the thing this and that like ultimately, like you gotta sit with you, and you gotta sit with this person and this is who you're gonna be.
Speaker 2: With, right.
Speaker 5: And I had to had to sit with my wife about this, well my now wife about this, and had this conversation.
Speaker 1: You told her before it came became public. Yeah, yeah, yeah I did, because I don't know d way that she just stuck with you that thing to come public and you ain't have the conversation with her.
Speaker 5: Man, Listen, let me tell you, I couldn't. I couldn't have gotten through that moment without her sticking with me, you know what I mean. Like it was a weird in the playoffs, I think even in going into the finals at whatever you was, man.
Speaker 3: That was that was a rough time for me.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 2: So you got a lot on your mind.
Speaker 3: You got a lot on your mind. You're keeping you know, you're keeping something from people you love, right, And it's heavy at night when it get quiet, yeah us just you and your thoughts. Yeah, them thoughts is loud and you and it gets it gets loud up here.
Speaker 1: In his mind.
Speaker 3: And so it came to a point where yeah, way before you know, and I tried to pussy foot around it.
Speaker 5: I tried to break up with her. Hey, you know things has been bad lately. Hey, we've been having a little this is relationship anyway, Like I tried to all that, she kept showing up. And so it hasn't been perfect. It would never be perfect. But that was nine years ago, right, and we're still we go to therapy. We've been to therapy, right, We've had shouts about it, We've had a regular conversations about it, and so it's been something that is going to continue to be something that I have to work at and work on. It doesn't go away because years come or because I say I'm sorry or whatever it is.
Speaker 1: And so is that the hardest part of any way to know that you've done this, and it's probably always gonna be a source of contention, It's always gonna be something that to possibly be brought up.
Speaker 2: It might be ten years from now, it might be fifteen.
Speaker 1: You guys might be seventy five years old, and you still.
Speaker 5: Might have to well when it comes to my wife and I, Yeah, that's that's hard. We got to always it's always there. But when it comes to my son, that's hard for him. This is gonna always be there. He's done nothing, sustained as on him for no reason, right, And I think about that more than you know, Like we're dopts and we're gonna get.
Speaker 3: Through it, or we ain't gonna get through right, we're adults in this space.
Speaker 5: This is a young kid who has already got a negative impact next to his name, and he hasn't even had a chance to complish, right, And they already got a negative next to his name because of how he was brought into this world.
Speaker 3: And I think about that.
Speaker 5: I think about my you know, son that bears my name, and I think about my wife, like of course I think about I think about all my kids.
Speaker 3: I think about it all. But ultimately, what I do know is at the end of the day, this is my family. This is my story. We gonna get through this.
Speaker 5: How we gonna get through, But we're gonna get through it, you feel me? And so you know, I think you know, time, distance, space, it doesn't help it, but it makes it.
Speaker 1: It allows you to.
Speaker 3: See things differently when you have time away from it.
Speaker 5: And so my wife and I nine years later, are in a different space where we're able to have different conversations about that moment, about the future of my son, about how we want to incorporate, how we want to be, And that's just one aspect of this long journey, right But ultimately.
Speaker 3: For me, it's all about making her understand that.
Speaker 5: I'm continue to grow, continue to you know, to work on myself, not understand, but show her right, and she's showing me. It goes both ways. But in this instance but also too at the same time, love my kids. This is my story, and I didn't ask for it to all.
Speaker 3: Be this way.
Speaker 5: I don't know what's coming in the future, but right now this is all mine, and so as good as it looks or as bad as it seems, it is mine.
Speaker 3: And I'm thankful to even have the good in my life.
Speaker 5: And I'm also thankful to have the things that's little want comfortable to talk about and deal with an experience, because that makes you live a full life, right And so that's all I'm trying to do, is trying to figure out a way to live a full life together.
Speaker 1: Congratulations on the Hall of Fame and congratulations on the wine. Wine sellers, go ahead and get you a couple of bottles. D Wade appreciate you, brother.
Speaker 3: Thank you. I appreciate it.
Speaker 4: All my life, grinding all my life, sacrifice, hustle, bad the price, want to slice, got to brow the dice, swap all my life. I'll be grinding all my life. Yeah, all my life.
Speaker 1: Grinding all my.
Speaker 4: Life, sacrifice, hustle, bad to price, want slice, got to brow the dice, the swap all my life.
Speaker 1: I've been grinding all my life.