Speaker 1: Well, good by boss, the territory ladies and done. But I'm sorry, I'm a little bit late. But Paly tow man, man, I can't breathe. I don't know what's going on. Fourteen straight wins for the Red Sox. What the heck is in the air right now? What is happening right now? I can't even get my thoughts together. This is one of the most insane things I've seen as a Red Sox fan. Pretty much, I think most of us have. I thought two thousand and four would be the most insane thing I ever see, and here we are in twenty twenty six seeing something like this, where one win away from tying the franchise record for most consecutive wins fifteen back in nineteen forty six. I mean, you had some of the greatest players in Red Sox history on that team, guys like Ted Williams, Bobby Dower. Unfortunately, that team lost to the Cardinals in seven games in the World Series. But you know what, Let's try and reverse that. Let's go break that streak. Let's go win a World Series this year. I can't breathe. I don't know, I can't feel my face, I don't know what's going on right now. This is unbelievable. The longest win streak recently, the three most the three longest win streaks the Cardinals with seventeen back in twenty twenty one. I don't know why that one slipped my mind. We got the Indians back in twenty twenty, or with twenty two back in twenty seventeen, the A's with twenty back in two thousand and two. This is incredible, ladies and gentlemen. And if you obviously didn't realize already, Red Sox win final score six to five, record improves to fifty one and forty eight. They've won nineteen of twenty one and obviously fourteen straight. This is incredible, ladies and gentlemen. Just when you think that it might be done, just when you think you're like, all right, this is one of the greatest rides I've been on. But this might be it that happened a couple of times. Here tonight happened. Look because you had also another red hot team coming to Fenway Park. The Oriol has been doing damage against some other teams out there, and they came in and uh. In the end, the Red Sox took advantage of a ton of sloppiness from the Orioles here they made a whole bunch of errors left him right here tonight they took advantage. They battled back all game and Caleb Durban. What a moment man for Caleb Durban. Man, it almost like it all It almost gets me like a little emotional, you know, like it what a moment for the guy. You know, like that, that's really cool to see a guy that he got off to sucks a bad start, and everyone including myself, were like, man, we should have kept Bregman. You know, this guy did nothing wrong coming to Boston, a guy that was just a scrappy player, over looked coming up as a baseball player. You know, a guy that's a little undersized, but just a scrappy player, a hard working player. And the way this guy has been playing over the last couple of months and then he gets a moment like that, you know it. I don't know, that makes me a little emotional, to be honest. What a great moment for the guy. You know, he's been working hard, he did everything he could and he got a moment like that and he had a packed Famway Park on their feet. I mean chanting the guy's name, you know, just erupting for the guy. That's actually, in my opinion, I think one of the As long as I've been a Red Sox fan, There's been a lot of great moments, but man, that one. And yeah, maybe recency bias is coming in, but that, to me was really cool. He deserved that, he deserved that. Wilson and Willier, big nights for them coming up a clutch hits Wilson just holy cow, this guy was full of energy here tonight. Set he coming up cluction. How about Sung, Chick Sang? I mean, this is what I've been talking about. This is what I've been talking about here. It's guys like Shang who are stepping up and doing the little things. You know, I could really, you know, go deep into this, but this is why depth matters within an organization. You know, Chang, you know you're wondering, Okay, you know, maybe this is a guy that can help out at some point, but you don't have to be a guy that is batting three hunger with an ops over one thousand. You could do even little things like Chang did here tonight, aggressive base running, scoring a run and making the grab at the end of the game. What a what a play? I mean, holy cow. I mean, we're all so excited about the the wins streak, the fourteen straight wins, but it felt like what an incredible play that was to end the game. And it almost because we're all thinking about this streak and the turnaround this year. It's like, in a way, it gets like overshadowed, but like, what a play to end the game, sung Shake shechng Man. The pitching. The pitching was not great here tonight. Obviously, this is a battle here tonight. It was a scrappy game. It was an ugly game, more so from the Orioles side defensively. But Peyton Totley did not have the breaking stuff here tonight. He did not really he had I think one change up here tonight. I think he threw five curve balls on the night. He was mostly leaning into the hard stuff. And yeah, he was racking up strikeouts here tonight. He had nine over five and two thirds. But listen, when you don't have when you're not able to expand the repertoire deeper into the game, these guys are gonna get hits off you, especially a hot Orioles team. Like this, who have good bats. He gave up a lot of hits here tonight. He was pretty predict for the most part. He had a tough third, tough sixth inning. You know, Tyron Guerrero ran into a couple of bumps there, Chatman, running into a couple of bumps in the ninth inning there he got saved by Chang. This was not great pitching here tonight. But the grittiness of this team. The man, it's unbelievable. But in a way, it's kind of believable when you just see the kind of guys that they have on this team. You know, obviously, you know it's it is unbelievable to win this many games in a row, especially with how bad you were. But like, in a way, it's like you have the perfect blended guys that are gritty players that do the little things like just play the game of baseball. You know, Man, just gotta love what you're seeing here. You gotta love it. Man. This is uh, what a ride? What a ride? Sir? In the chat six away, we're six away from my proclamation of getting twenty straight wins after the nightmare flight. Listen, it feels like every game is getting the last couple especially, I mean they're getting tougher into the last few, They're getting tougher and tougher. It feels like you're really having to grind these out. So I'm wondering how long this is gonna go. But if they could give me twenty, man, I'll be I'll be the luckiest guy on the planet. I need that tweet. I need that tweet to come true. Man, I need six more, man oh man. Welcome to the chat, everybody. Once again, another magical night at Famway Park. Just a Monday night here. It's July twentieth, and we got another another night of amazing baseball. Welcome to the chat, everybody. We're gonna go over this. We're gonna go over the scoring. We're gonna go over the pitching. We'll go over Game two for tomorrow. We'll even talk about a couple little reports that we've had over the last couple of days or so. Getting closer and closer to the trade deadline two weeks from today. Well, actually we're under two weeks now by what about four hours, I think it's six pm Eastern time on August third, So we're within that two week window. We're getting closer and closer. We'll talk about one guy that could maybe be a possible option for the Red Sox. I'll get into that in just a little bit. Let's get to it here, ladies and gentlemen. We have a lot to talk about here. If you can, again hit the like button subscribe if you are new. We got to start off with Peyton totally again. I mean, listen, hey, the fastball as usual looking great. He looked good out there. Excuse me, he looked very good out there. Everything was looking you know, the fastballs were looking crisp. But that was pretty much shit again. He threw six curve balls, one change up on the night, and you know it was he had a few, a couple of good innings, but he was pretty hittable for the most part. And it started off in the first inning. A couple of doubles Gunner Henderson, Tyler, O'Neill, a couple of doubles there made it one nothing. But then he strikes out Alonzo and Mail, so you know, wiggled out of that a little bit. He did settle down for the most part. Over the next few innings, he struck out a few, gave up another double to Gunner, Holy cow Gunner. Henderson was a doubles machine here tonight. It ended up giving up a home run to Christian and Canarci owned Strand. I completely forgot he went to the Orioles recently. He hit Alonso, but then Alonzo gets thrown out at second base, so you know, he was able to kind of work around a couple of things. Within the sixth inning, Tyler O'Neil with another base hit. He strikes out Mail, but then he gives up three straight bass hits to Varis Jackson, Chris can On, Canarcio, Strand again. That ended up making it a six ar sorry a four to three game at the time in the sixth inning, and that was it for Peyton totally five and two thirds, eight hits, four earned nine strikeouts. That is a good strikeout number right there, and only walked one of the nights. So they were some positives, but it was a bumpy knight for totally. Tyrone Guerrero ends up coming in. He strikes out Huff to end the six Guarreo went back out for the seventh inning ward with a double, Alonzo with a base hit, Gunner with a strikeout, but then Tyler O'Neil on the ground out Anthony Siegler had a chance at a double play there to get yourself out of the inning, but ended up dropping it, trying to transfer it, ends up making the play at first base. But you know what, even though you'd like for Siegler to be able to, you know, turn that double play there, I love I love the awareness of Siegler right there, right right away. He I can't believe I'm even this is how happy we are. I am somehow some way praising that he goofed up on a double play. But listen, hear me. I just to me, that really shows the kind of ballplayer that he is. Just strong awareness, just thought so quickly on his feet. Oh crap, don't got the double play? All right? Quick throw the first right? That I think really showed you what kind of a player he is. And obviously he's come up with some you know, pretty big moments here. But I'm glad he was able to at least get the out there. I mean, how many times have we seen over the years right where, hey, you don't turn a double play and then it turns into something mess here. So hey, at least he got that. But it did give the Orioles the lead back. He ends up striking out Beavers to end the inning. Winlock ends up shutting it down for the eighth inning. He looked good. We'll get back to the ninth inning in just a second. But we got we got some offense to talk about, ladies and gentlemen. Now, like I said, the Orioles did score first here tonight, and that's another thing I forgot to mention. You once again fell down early. You've been doing that as of late. You've been falling down early. The pitching has not been amazing in the early going as of late. So Orioles once again, or Orioles getting the one nothing lead in the first inning. But then the second inning, you are able to battle back a little bit. Wilson Masa with a couple of base hits. Durban with a flyout that moves Wilson over to third base. Gotta love the aggressiveness there. And then Duran, even though he has not been able to do much as of late, comes up with the sack fly that does tie the game up. At one third inning, you had a couple of outs, SETI gramb all the second base, Jackson over at second, ends up making a bad throw SETI. He gets the first and then here comes will Your.
Speaker 2: Break retired one to one. He shoots that one toward the alley. Tavares will not get it. It's out of the track, up against the monster. Peck comes sit on.
Speaker 1: Rounding on his way.
Speaker 2: The throw, will not get it, and it's fire to the back.
Speaker 1: That was such a bad throw. My god, my goodness, that throw home on the Williard double. The Orioles were what the heck was going on with their defense here tonight. We have all experienced that kind of defense over the last few years with the Red Sox, but this Red Sox defense is different this year. We haven't really seen a whole lot of this Orioles defense here in Boston. Gotta love that, Thank you, Craig Bresla. Third inning, so you end up taking a two to one lead there, and then here comes Wilson liner and knocked down by Henderson.
Speaker 2: He can't make the play, They don't make a play, and another run is in.
Speaker 1: So this was one of the I think few examples of Wilson not really hitting a ball hard but still finding a way to do some damage. Well. Gunnar Henderson ended up causing most of the damage there. It deflects off of his glove and then Willier was able to score. So, once again taking advantage of a bad Orioles defense, ends up being a little quiet the next couple of innings. Within the sixth inning, you end up waking up a little bit again. The Orioles did have a four to three lead. They came from behind there, but Willier leads off the six with the base hit. Well, actually, let me take that back. It was a groundball back to Boz, but a bad throw from Boz another error from the Orioles. Willier ends up getting the second base there, and then here comes Wilson.
Speaker 2: Swinging a high ride left field back toward the wall. That ball is off the green, Brady, is it contris ticket for two dives in safe?
Speaker 1: Man? That base running there from Wilson. Man, Oh, love that Love that Holy cow Wilson. Man, that is that is the kind of player you want in Boston. H that gritty base running right there. Love that he gets up. That guy's pounding his chest. Man, Ah, you love to see that. I thought that was actually a home run off the bat, the way he kind of just golfed it. I thought maybe that was going to get into the seats. Unfortunately fell short. But it was the seventeenth double on the year. I'm actually a little surprised about that. I thought he had more doubles than this. I thought he was at least in the twenties. But he ends up coming up big. That ties the game at four to four. But then the seventh inning, then the seventh inning again the Orioles taking lead again. This was not an easy one here tonight, ladies and gentlemen. They take a five to four lead, but then the seventh inning you're down five to four. Wong with the base hit, Chang groundball to short Long ends up being out at second base. Siegler ground out, moves Chang over to second base, and then here comes Setti breaking ball base into the left Chang rounds war Trouss to run.
Speaker 2: Star said, I taking off for a second. The Red Sox just keep on relentlessly bouncing back and it's a five five.
Speaker 1: Game once again. Just another bad throw from Ward there said, He ends up getting to second base. Unfortunately you weren't able to capitalize on that. Williard did fly out, but that's okay. Here comes Whitlocks, shutting it down. To the eighth inning. And the eighth inning didn't start off great for the Red Sox. Wilson with a strikeout, Massa with the strikeout. But Caleb Durban What a moment so.
Speaker 2: Far, quiet night for Caleb's flying out twice the right and ground to the short swinging a high fly ball left field.
Speaker 1: This is deep.
Speaker 2: Packet goes yes, sir, that's on of hair. Holme run. The Durbordator touches it all. The Red Sox on top again.
Speaker 1: Listen, I I love the Dave O'Brien call. And I know Caleb Durbin has been called the Durbinator going back to last year, but listen, I'm still gonna stick with my nickname of dirt Dog Durbin because the guy is a dirt dog. He's a scrappy guy. This guy became a fan favorite here tonight. People have been obviously his turnaround this year. People have really seen that he's worked hard, he's gotten himself right. But go back to when that trade happened. We sat right here when that trade happened, right, we're all feeling still feeling the sting of Alex Bregman going to the Chicago Cubs. He did pivot ranger Suarez, but you were still wondering who was the bat going to be? Who were they gonna get at third base? And then came across our screens Caleb Durban going to the Red Sox. And I sat here and I said, I'm gonna paraphrase this, but I said, listen, this isn't the sexiest, the sexiest of moves. This is not the big blockbuster signing, right But I said, right here, Durban is a guy that's a scrappy guy, a bit undersized, but he's a hardworking player. He's a gritty player. He's a hard worker. And I said, right here, that's a guy I could see being a fan favorite in Boston. And I think that might have just happened here tonight. I think that really cemented this entire turnaround for him. And you think back to why the Red Sox brought him into the first place, right obviously, well they needed someone for third base, of course, But you look at the profile with him, a guy that's you know, he's not a mashermind. He means, he's not that star player like Alex Bregman. But the one thing that jumped off of the screen when you looked at the stat cast page the pull air percentage, and I'm sorry. I know a lot of you out there you like the traditional stats. I do too. I like me a good looking batting average. I still am a batting average kind of a guy. But I also like the metrics, like the eggs of v Low. I like how much a guy can pull the ball, you know. I like all the nerd numbers too. I like a little bit of both. But I did take notice of the pull air percentage with Durban And you think Famway Park, right, and yeah, he had to work on a couple of things working with gradam g swing right. That got a lot of attention in itself. But a guy that he is has that ability to hit to all fields. He has just that great hit tool. But a guy that really showed last year with the Brewers that he could pull the ball. And that was a huge, huge thing coming to Feenway Park. That was something you envisioned, a guy that could hit the ball into the monster seats. And it happened here tonight. Happened here tonight in one of the biggest ways possible. What a call from Dave O'Brien, What a moment for Caleb Durban. What a moment for the Femway crowd. What a moment just for a baseball fan. I don't care what team you like. That's just incredible, especially in a streak like this, in a back and forth game like it was here tonight. Man oh Man Shaman comes in for the ninth, and again this did not end easily. Cows Are with a walk, he strikes out Alonzo and Ward, but then here comes Gunnar Henderson with another freaking double. Here tonight, Gunner Henderson. He's had a bit of a down year offensively, I think going back to last year too, But man, that is a guy that I've been going back to when he you know what, was it twenty twenty three or twenty four, I can't remember. Every think it was twenty three when he came up. Whatever year that was, I mean, the guy was just mashing. I think it was a couple of years ago. He had just an amazing year. That's a guy.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: He is gonna wreck Havoc anytime you go up against the anytime you go up against the Orioles. But he had another double, but also great job from Jared to ran out and left I read quick throw back into the infield to hold the runners Ward or cows a sorry staying at third and Gunner at second. So that was really good defense from Duran out there to be able to get the ball back in taller O'Neil. This guy mashed one to Shang over a shortstop ninety four miles an hour off the bat. Actually, I thought it was like in the hundreds at least, but Shang with just an amazing play. Let's take a listen the o twod O'Neal line drive.
Speaker 2: Cott Chack catches at how that's fourteen in a row. Baby, the Red Sox cheap on, rolling six to five fourteen straights for just a second time in franchise history.
Speaker 1: I'd have to go back to nineteen forty six.
Speaker 2: Ted Williams was a young superstar the Red Sox last fourteen in the road. That team would win fifteen straight, which the Red Sox will try and equal tomorrow night here at Fenway Park.
Speaker 1: You see Creg, You see Craig, he's smiling up there in that in those box seats in the the in his sweet If you want to if you want to ask who the happiest guy is, if you want to know who the happiest guy on the planet is. It's not me, It's not you, It's Craig fricking maybe not even Caleb derban I think it's Craig fricking Breslo right now. Holy cow, that guy. I mean, listen, you want to talk about Durban, you know, with the huge turnaround he's had, But holy cow, people were coming after Craig everywhere Boston, the national media. I mean, shoot, like you thought that guy was gonna get fired, Like you thought it was just a matter of time. I mean, listen, in the end, right the players play, you know, they have made this happen. But you know what, you know, here's the thing with me when it comes to Craig. I was always one of the guys out here that said, listen, he's made a lot of good moves. And yeah, like when it came, when it was getting to that time, I think, you know you're fourteen under and yeah, I've said I do still think, you know, you could have made a couple of more moves in the offseason. I still think that. But you know what, everything's coming to play. Everything has come to fruition here, did he did you expect it to happen this way. Well, no, but I think it's safe to say Craig is is very safe at this point. And the radio Heads can't believe it. They are what radio station was I listening to here today? Holy cow? I shut it off in like twenty seconds. They were still finding a way to somehow get some negativity in still like, what in the world He said something. I don't even remember what they said. I'm like, what are we doing? Holy cow? The radio heads out there, they can't believe it. I really want to remember what I was listening to. It was something like, oh man, they've been on this incredible streak and walk she's gonna end up holding at the deadline. They're not gonna do anything. I'm like, I can't believe it. They still somehow find you know, I'll give him some credit because that is they still find a way to bring the negativity into Boston. But they're not gonna bring us down, ladies and gentlemen, the Radioheads, they're not gonna win this one. It's a positive show here tonight. It's a positive time. But everybody, we are gonna take a quick break. Holy cal I need to breathe for a second. I feel like I'm my head's about to explode. Let's take a quick break. If you can really quick hit the leg button subscribe if your new award from one of our sponsors tonight, We'll be right back.
Speaker 3: If you're watching us, you already know we're wearing mack Weldon right now as we talk about a great brand that makes things so comfortable and easy to wear. But if you're listening to the show, let me tell you a little bit more about Mack Weldon with my friend Eric Kratz.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's comfortable, it's light, it's summertime right now. For me, though, they cater to what I need tall clothes. Normally, when I buy tall clothes it's like something that's cumbersome and boxy. It still fits incredibly well, super light, perfect for the summertime. They got me all covered.
Speaker 3: Comfortable performance material can be yours. Mack Weldon is the spot. Don't sweat the heat this summer. Feel as effortlessly cool as you look with Mack Weldon. Go to Mackweldon dot com and get twenty percent off your first order of one hundred and twenty five bucks or more with promo code foul. That's m a c kW E L d O N dot com code f O U L.
Speaker 1: Well, as exciting as that was, ladies and gentlemen, we have another game tomorrow. You feel like you might have just won the World Series for crying out loud. Holy cow. I don't think that's quite at the level of the Shane Victorino home run into the Monster Seats against the Tigers back in twenty thirty or the Grand Slam. Definitely not to the level of that, but like, gosh, when I see the ball going in the air, like that high fly ball going into the Monster seats, I couldn't help but think of that Victorino home run just a little bit. If you ever want to ask me, like if anyone ever asked me, Robbie, when was the time, like what was your biggest freak out moment? Like what was the time where you just went insane watching the red side in like a good way right where I just like freaked out. I'm screaming all over the place that one when Victor Reino hit that Grand Slam, I came on glued like I couldn't believe it. I had my neighbors I was in an apartment like they were banging on my wall, like the Holy Cow. I was making people mad. But I went nuts during that. I still remember JD. Drew's Grand Slam against the Indians back in two thousand and seven. I went ballistic over that. I couldn't. I was at a friend's house that night. I was still in high school at the time, right, you know, I don't even remember if I had a car. I think I had a car. Yeah, I had a car. I was seventeen. I went over there and we put the game on, and all my Holy cow like, I was running around his house just screaming. I think I just kept repeating. I kept screaming Jad Drew Man. Now, obviously those are postseason huge moments, but listen Caleb Durbin's home run here tonight. That was awesome, awesome. Where was I. Let's go to game two. Let's go to game two. What do we got going on for game two here? Tomorrow? Let me pull this up really quick, picturing matchup for tomorrow. Well, actually it is. Did they announce it is Ranger Suarez for tomorrow? Okay, so he is the listed starter for tomorrow. So it looks like he's gonna be coming off the il even more great news. Even more great news, Ranger Suarez is back. He looked like it was in a good mood here today. They shot the camera to him a couple of times in the dugout. He had a smile on his face. I think I heard them saying before the game that he was like messing with the reporter a little bit. He was messing with the media, like I guess he was like grabbing his leg or something. He's like, I'm just kidding. So he's good to go. And remember we talked about this with Ranger when that signing happened. You're he has always had these kind of injuries, right, So, yeah, this is gonna happen, but good to see him back. So the one thing you got to think about with Ranger, as good as he's been, could there be a little bit of rust here tomorrow with Ranger. We'll wait and see. But overall, I mean, there's a reason this guy went to the All Star Game. He has been one of the best pictures in baseball. Seventeen starts. E. L. Ray at a three point one point five the FIP is a half a run lower at a two point six y one a three point zero f war On the year, he's been great, so we'll see what he looks like here tomorrow. It'd be great to see him get into a groove, but you got to proceed with caution there, because again, it's been a little bit since he's picked. When was that last start that was against the Angels back on June fifth, I mean it's it's been a couple of weeks, be a little over a couple of weeks when he takes the mounds, so eh, not really too worried about it, not really too worried about it. We'll see, but uh, going up against mister Ranger here tomorrow. We got the man that just got paid recently in Kyle Bradish. Just got himself a nice extension. Nineteen starts on the year el Ray at a three point six y one fifth is a little bit higher at a four point zero zero. The one thing that jumps off the page with Kyle Bradish is he walks a lot of guys he's gonna have, he's not gonna have the best command. Let me pull up the stackast page here. Let's take a Lookxie, what have we got cooking here? With Bradish? Taking a look? I mean, listen, he's gonna get a lot of ground balls. So hey, you know, for the Red Sox that have been making a ton of contact, Hey, let's see if you can turn some ground balls into some productive outs here tomorrow. All right, move some runners over, do what you gotta do, get the job done. But you know you're gonna get a lot of ground balls. He does a good job at keeping the ball out of the air. However, he's not gonna get a lot of swing and miss. He's not gonna get a lot of guys to chase out of the zone. He's gonna walk guys. He's in the twenty first percentile with his walk rate. He does a pretty decent job at limiting the hard contact. So again, he's really gonna be leaning into the sinkers thirty four percent of the time this year. He's gonna give you some breaking balls, sliders and curves. He'll come at you with some four seamers. But he's more of like, you know, kind of a crafty guy that's gonna try and get some weak contact. If we're taking a look at the pitches within this year, now, if you can find some four seamers to get into, that could be your best bet. Well, I'll get to the other pitching just a second. But against four seemers this year, batters are hitting two to eighty against it, with an expected slugging of four sixty seven. However, when it comes to his sinker, it's a very good pitch this year. Not really a whole lot of not a whole lot of luck against the sinker this year, batters are only hitting two thirty eight against it. Expected batting average of a two seventeen, expected slugging of a three forty one. So he's gonna be good with the sinker, but the slider five point twenty one slugging off the slider seven home runs. So when it comes to the command, it's been iffy. I'm looking for some sliders hanging over the zone. I'm looking for some four seamers that aren't well located. We'll see what the Red Sox can do. And uh, he had to start a little while back against the Red Sox. Let me actually pull that up really quick now. The last start against the Red Sox that he had was on April twenty six. It was kind of a whatever star five innings, four hits, three runs for walks. So we'll see I mean, hey, they've seen him once. He's seen the Red Sox once, but this is a pretty different team. The last time he saw the Red Sox, I remember that was still Alex Korra running the show. That was Alex Cora's last series with the Red Sox when Kyle Bradish pitched. There's a different team now though, So we'll see what happens. We'll see what happens. But I'm excited for it. I'm excited for it. We are going to go over a couple of trade one report and one Mott trade out there that was floating around here today. That kind of drove me insane. I'm gonna get into that, but we do have one more break. We'll be right back.
Speaker 5: This episode is brought to you by fan Duel Ball Fans, the MLB season is in full swing and FanDuel is giving you a chance to call your shot with daily dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why FanDuel is the home of home runs. So Are you ready to play your game? Head over to FanDuel dot com slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com slash Podcast. To opt in for daily dingers and make your free pick on who's hitting a homer, playball and swing for the fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball. No purchase necessary, opt in required. Bonus issued as non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem call or text one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 1: Alrighty, So, like I said, we got the trade headline in under two weeks, and we got a report. We've actually been getting this report over the last few days or so, but we had a third report about it yesterday regarding Luis Garcia Junior on the Nationals. Now. The first report was from The Athletic, from Will Salmon and Spencer Nusbaum. I'm sorry if I'm mispronouncing that, but let's just say from the Athletic, they said that Luis Garcia Junior was getting some trade interest and they mentioned the Red Sox in that article. Yeah. Kind of time went by a little bit and then all of a sudden, Sean McCadam he mentioned Luis Garcia in his Sunday article, didn't say that he was hearing anything, but he said, Hey, Luis Garcia Junior could be a fit. So I was like, okay, and then we got one from Hector Gomez yesterday. I believe Hector Gomez has been kind of hit and miss. I feel like he's gotten some stuff right, but then there's some other stuff. He'll put it out there and then it just never happens. I don't know. I'm not very familiar with the reporting of Hector Gomez. However, it was the third report and he put out there yesterday that the Red Sox are showing a lot of interest in acquiring Luis Garcia Junior at the Nationals first basement at the deadline. Now, when it comes to Louis Garcia, let's pull up the good old Fangrafts page and he's having a pretty good year. And remember we just saw him a little bit ago. He was at Fenway Park the last time the Red Sox lost a series. That's when we saw Louis Garcia, and he had a pretty good series. He went three for ten in that he had a couple of balls off the Monster. He had a double and a base hit drove it a couple of runs. He looked pretty good. Now with Louis Garcia Junior, he's having a good year at the Nationals, hitting two seven on base at a three to twelve. But the slugging is what really sticks out. A five forty five slugging, a one point thirty WRC plus twenty homers. Now with Luis Garcia, he's mostly a first baseman and a DH. Now. He was a second basement not too long ago, but the defense was just atrocious. They moved him over to first and he's actually been pretty good there. Now you might be wondering why would the Red Sox be interested in a first basement when you have Wilson Contreras, And I still have some questions with this. I do wonder about the fit because obviously you got Wilson at first and he's not a good defender at second base. So really the only way this in my opinion, and what do I know the Red Sox have been proving us wrong all year is I could see him mostly dhing and then playing a little bit of first when Wilson maybe needs a day off off his feet to DH or whatever. You know, Wilson's gonna playing every day. He's he's he'll go crazy if you take him out of the lineup. So that's the only way I could see Garcia playing first if they bring him in. Maybe they could work him in at second base a couple of times. I don't know, Like, do they feel like if there is strong interest there, do they feel like they could improve his defense? I don't know. Maybe Flores can get with him. Not so sure, but I feel like the most realistic scenario would be like some bit of a rotation but mostly Dhing. But then you ask the question what happens with Masa? Massa has been very good as of late, So how do you make that work? I don't know. Then I started thinking even more, like could there be a scenario where you move Duran and then Masa cand in a playing left? Like could you do that? I'm not sure? I'm not I feel like the fit right now is the biggest question mark comes to the acquisition of this player. However, he would bring a pretty nice bat to this lineup, and we've all been even though this has been an amazing ride. You still have been thinking, hey, we probably need one more bat here to really solidify this. His offense would be really good. And I actually wonder if maybe they took notice of him at Femway Park when they were here hitting a couple of balls off the monster. Now with him, he's going to be more of a pull hitter. Taking a look at the statcast, So when you think of poll hitters that are lefties at Femway Park, obviously you think of one of the best of all time and David Ortiz, right, you know, obviously Ted Williams. But when you think of Luis Garcia Junior, the metrics look really good. The expected numbers are good. He's hitting the ball hard, he chases quite a bit out of the zone, doesn't walk a whole lot, but he's not gonna strike out a lot. He's gonna make a lot of contact hardcome intact. Then you wonder about he's pulling the ball more this year? Does he have the power for Femway Park. Well, when you look at the expected home runs for him at Fenway Park, he's got twenty on the year. It goes down to eleven at Fenway, So that's where I get a little iffy, But I can understand why they like the profile because he is an aggressive guy up there. He is going to make a lot of contact and he has had a good offensive year and maybe I don't know, do they feel like they could have him try to go opo a little bit more play with that monster because he did show that ability. So that's kind of where I'm thinking with this. Also, we got a super chat coming in. I'm going to save super chats for the end of the show, so if anyone wants to drop one in end of the show, we're going to take a look at it. But you know, again with this possible trade. Also speaking of a trade, he has one more year of control, and combined with the fact that he is having a good year, he is gonna cost you something. He's gonna have a decent amount of surplus. It's not gonna be through the roof because he doesn't have the strongest track record and the defense is pretty much limited with him. He's at first base, so one year of control, kind of a so so track record, not much defense there. That's gonna throttle his his overall ceiling when it comes to trade value. But that could also work into the Red Sox favor right where they may not have to give up a whole lot for him. You're definitely not giving up no, obviously, you're no way you'd be giving up Arius in this kind of a deal. You wouldn't be giving up I and Sin in this deal early in this deal. No, those guys have way more value this point. But could you possibly match up with something with the Nationals with Paul Taboni who knows the system very well? You know, I don't know, could you send back, say Kyson Witherspoon, who is having a down year at his first year in the pros, But you look at someone like that and they need pitching over there in that organization, Could someone like Kyson Witherspoon, maybe Marcus Phillips possibly could you send back, say, if they wanted a position player, maybe Henry Godbout, you know, who is having a good year in the minor league. So, I don't know. I feel like there are ways to be able to get a deal done here and you wouldn't have to give up any of your highest value prospects, all right, So I say keep your eye off for this. I'm more so wondering about the fit. I'm wondering if there could be some other moves that could follow that if they did it, Like I said, like, I don't know, because where do you fit Masa? But he's been hitting so well, I don't know like that, Like that's an interesting part to me is he has been hitting great lately, and I don't know, is there a world where you could move Dran and then Masa ends up playing left right and then hopefully Roman comes back, and then Masa kind of just goes back to the bench, you know, I don't know. Even then it's still like, man, you'd have Masa and Luis Garcia Junior like pretty much sharing a lot of DH time. Like I don't know. It's a little bit of an effie fit, but it would be an offensive upgrade nonetheless. Now, Holy Cal, I gotta talk about this article here today, Holy Cal, I about lost my mind. You see that guy on the screen right here, his name's Hunter Goodman. You see that title, Hunter Goodman to Boston. Five moves I'd like to see by the MLB trade deadline. You start scrolling, scrolling, scrolling, and there is Jimmy Jim Jim. Let me zoom in on mister Jimmy, Jim Jim. There he is in the flesh. Ladies and gentlemen. Jim Bowden, also with the Foul Territory Network obviously was a former GM in the game of baseball. He's put out some interesting proposals over the years. This one, though, I could not get behind it. I will say, even though he has gotten ragged on for a lot of iffy proposals in the past, I've there's been a couple where I'm like, you know what, that's actually not bad, So I will give him a little bit of credit. But this one absolutely not. Do not fall for this. Ladies and gentlemen, do not do it. And this is why, this is why I don't like stuff like this, right, because in today's world, you see something like this. You got a nice, you know looking website, you got the Athletic, it's the New York Times. You're thinking, oh, man, oh look at this trade. Oh wow, that's what it would take to get Hunter Goodman. Okay, well that must be right, that has to be true. It's Jim Bowden. He was a former GM and in the game of baseball. Wow, I can't believe that's what it would take. Okay, but I believe it. It's the Athletic, It's the New York Times, it's Jim Bowden. This has to be true. No it is not. Don't even buy this. Don't do it. Don't do it. This is not. No no, no, no, no no, do not buy this. Could I see the Rockies asking for this, Yes, I could, absolutely, But you are not giving up that much for Hunter Goodman. I really like the profile of Hunter Goodman. I think that guy could be an awesome right handed bat at Famway Park. He's a power bat. It would be great. But ladies and gentlemen, we got to take a look at the deeper metrics. I'm gonna turn into a bit of a nerd. Excuse the nerd, But as you can see here, ladies and gentlemen, yes, he hits the crap out of the ball. But this guy has a lot of strikeouts. You're gonna get a lot of chasing out of the zone, a lot of swing and missing. You're gonna see a lot of strikeouts. That is going at least as of right now. Things can change. You could always work on things in the offseason. Right as of right now, though, that is going to limit his ceiling in the future. And yeah, he's got a good amount of control left. And yes he's a ketcher. But speaking of keccher, he's not gonna give you amazing defense. The framing's not great. You know, he's kind of the middle of the road when it comes to the blocks the pop time. But you know, there's not really much there at least as of right now, unless he really showed some improvement. Again, you know, the game of baseball, it is dynamic, right Guys can they can get into the lab, they can work on some things, but you're looking at what you have right now, and goodman, right now, while he does have good trade value, I'm not saying like this guy's not worth anything. He is. He is going to have some decent surplus value twenty eight and a half million as of right now. How are you coming up with that value where you're taking a look at the projections moving forward, he's let's actually see really quick public projections as of right now when it comes to his zips over the next few years, they're giving him around a two winds above replacement. That's around you know, if you're looking at the value of one wins above replacement, you're looking at around nine and a half million per so let's just say that's about twenty million dollars. He's got three more years of control, so that's about sixty million. But then you factor in that he's going to be going into arbitration next year. His salary is going to start bumping up. He's not going to be, you know, in the pre arb salary anymore. And right now they're projecting that he's going to end up making forty million dollars over the next three in a third years because of this year two's but mostly the next three years, you are going to start seeing a good bump in pay and that and he he absolutely is going to have decent projections moving forward, pretty good, but the money that he's going to make is going to compress that. So you always have to remember trade value. Yes, the guy hits dingers, he can hit the ball far and he has better road splits, So don't even use the chorus thing. He's a good guy, he's a good power bat. But you have the front office is are always going to factor in how much money is this guy projected to make. We may not like it, but that's the truth. Now, when you consider the market. Now, let's get to this part the market. Yes, that will absolutely bump up that price, especially for how much it would take for the Rockies to move on from him, to actually be willing to give him up. Yeah, it's gonna take a lot. But you are not doing this. You're not doing that. I if that actually happened, I guarantee most front offices out there would be like, what you gave up a top fifteen?
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: I know people are gonna say, oh, Marcelo Meyer, he's really dropped off this year. Yes, obviously, and that has hurt his value, but he is a top fifteen. He was a top fifteen prospect in the game of baseball not too long ago. Sure, he has definitely not lived up to expectations this year, but that doesn't remove the fact that he has five more years of control still in his pre ARB years. Top fifteen prospect not too long ago, So there's gonna be good projections based off of the scouting right, and he plays a high value position at shortstop teams they look to build around shortstops, and when you have a guy that has had scouting reports that show a lot of upside, potential, upside both offensively and defensively. Marcella Meyer is going to have a lot of value, especially now because he has a lot more control left five more years after the season. So when you take all of that, he's gonna have a lot of surplus value. Now. It's definitely come down, right, Absolutely, it's come down because of the bad year that he's having, but it's still at a decent level. Taking a look here and again, baseball trade values. It's not it's not the end all be all, it's not gospel by any means. But what they do well is they really show you the fundamentals of how a trade should work. Now, you can disagree with certain values and maybe money earned, but they at least get paint a pretty solid idea of how a trade should work. So Marcella Meyer, as of right now, because it's also dynamic, they are constantly updating because it's always changing, right, you know, they go off of public data, so you know, scouts they're going to change up things, right, They're gonna you know, and obviously performance is going to change his projections, right, and what front offices think with Marcella Meyer one more time before I kind of move on to the rest of the trade. He hits the ball hard, he plays a good feel, he plays a good shortstop. We've seen it. He's been hurt this year. That's another thing too, It's like how much has that injury really affected his performance? So you don't fully know as of right now until you actually see him play a big sample not hurt, so we don't fully know. But anyway, as of right now Meyer, his value has come down, but it's still going to be very good at around thirty million dollars as of right now when you factor in the projections and the money expected to be earned over the next five years for him, and so be honest, this is actually a pretty low value for a shortstop prospect that was just inside of the top twenty last year. That's that's really not high when you consider where he was. He was in the sixties seventies at one point. So it's really come down. And again with Goodman, we've already talked about how the value can get limited there, but it doesn't stop there. It doesn't stop there. Now let's throw in Connolly early and I mean i've pretty much already said, you know, the year years of control and yeah, he's been hurt, but connily Early has shown time and time again that he can be a very dependable starter in a major league rotation. He has moved on from the prospect status. He has already proven that he can handle major league innings. Starting pitching is scarce. Good starting pitching that can consistently throw give you major league innings. That's hard to do. Connily Early. When you combine that, yes, is hurt right now. But when you combine with what he's been able to do with five more years of control still in his pre RB years, yeah, he's gonna have a good amount of value as well, but that's come down recently because of the injury. If he comes back and he's pitching, well, that's gonna go back up, right, because again it's it's dynamic when it comes to trade values. It's not a set thing and that's that's it. This could definitely change. So those two are ready their values. When you consider the five years of control along with top prospect statuses, Connolly Early was a top fifty prospect not too long ago. So when you combine the control, the status not too long ago, Connolly Early, more so the track record that he has been able to show you myy er, it's more ceiling at this point. Yeah, that is going to when you consider the whole package of every the attributes that I just mentioned, it's going to far far outweigh Hunter Goodman. That could definitely change next year. Both those guys could completely fall off the map, and then that could be different next year. So but right now, that's gonna be way higher than Goodman. But it doesn't stop there. Then you got Carlos Dervas. Now, yeah, Carlos Nervas has had his struggles this year, but with Narvas, he's got four more years of control. Is one of the best defensive catchers out there, so he already has a good floor. I mean, how many times have we seen catchers in the major leagues over the last several years you wonder, how are they in this lineup? Like Austin Hedges, for example. The guy couldn't hit the side of a barn, but he was a great defender and that's why he'd be in the lineup every day working with the pitching staff. Novas has been a great defender, so he's gonna have a high floor at a high value position. And then you consider the fact that he's got four more years of control. Yeah, he's gonna have a pretty good surplus there. It doesn't stop there. Then you know Kaysen Witherspoon. Okay, sure, he's having a down year in his first year. He's got a little bit of surplus because he was a first round pick not too long ago. There is still some ceiling with him. But when you combine the package here compared to Goodman. Again, this is not a knock on good Goodman. But and I'm and again I want to stress I'm not just focusing on the player. I'm focusing on the whole thing, the performance, but also the projections, the money. That's what front offices do when they're weighing trade value. And yeah, market value is gonna come into play too, you're gonna have to up your bidding. I would be shocked if you saw a deal like that. That would be irresponsible. You should not do that. Don't do that. And I've already and I had a lot of people coming at me here today saying Robbie's a he's like a forty home run guy. You'd fit perfectly at Femway Park. I get that, Yeah, he'd be awesome at Famway Park. But he strikes out a lot, So that's gonna that's a bit of a red flag moving forward. And then the defense is kind of so so, so the ceiling is a bit of a mystery. With Hunter Goodman, he's definitely giving you some dingers. I love me, I love me a good long ball. We all do. But again, I'm looking at it from a surplus value point of view. I'm not looking at it from a player only a player performance point of view. This is not a good trade. This is not good and now, and I'll say one more time, I understand the market coming into play, and listen. If you want to go trade Marcelo Meyer Connolly Early in a package to go land a big piece out there, Hunter Goodman should not be the piece. You should use those guys value to try and get yourself someone like Zach Netto or you, I mean Shae Langliers. Because he only has a couple more years of control left, he's not going to have the highest surplus because he's getting closer to free agency. But at least in that aspect with Langliers, he gives you good production on both sides of the ball. The guy's got a cannon of an arm. He's got good power. That would still be pretty far apart, but at least in that case, Langliers gives you more upside again, Hunter Goodman is I would not be mad about getting Hunter Goodman. I don't and I get the trade deadline. You gotta get uncomfortable, but not like this. This is not uncomfortable. This is irresponsible. Do not do that. Use meyron early to go get someone like zach netto go see if you can pull off something for Shay Langliers. Shoot, go pull go pull off something for Hunter Goodman. But not at this price. No way. That's like going to go get like a PS five You know what does it cost? Six hundred dollars these days? And like yeah, you know, okay, it's a little limited out there, right, Okay, I might have to pay a little extra to go get that PS five, right, okay, you know, yeah, six hundred dollars normal? All right, there's like I can't find one anywhere, Uh, all right, I'll go eight hundred. That's as far as like that's you know, eight hundred, right, you're not gonna you don't go and pay fifteen hundred dollars for it, right, Like that's ridiculous. You don't do that, no way, no, especially if you can if one store has it, you know, has a PS five there, you find another store where you can go buy it for the eight hundred dollars instead of the fifteen hundred, you know, like, don't do that. No, please, like listen, no disrespect to mister Jim, mister Jim Bowden. But and yeah, I could see the Rockies asking for this. Of course you got to start high. But that's not what it should be, all right, if you're asking me what something realistic? I could see Carlos nervas, right, you know, could you do Connolly early Carlos nervas, you know, like this would still be considered a major overpay, but it's still in the parameters of getting a deal done, right, it would be uncomfortable. This is uncomfortable right here. So like maybe if you throw in like one or two like lower level prospects here with earlier nervas, then yeah, like maybe that could That's where you're at, right, that's where you can get a deal done. But no, you're not doing marcel And also that's another thing I want to say too. The Rockies don't need Marcelo Meyer. They got Ezekiel Tavar already, but then you got Ethan Holliday. Sure he getded up moving to third base at some point, But then they just drafted Tyler Bell, so like they already have a lot of these guys, so like Meyer doesn't really fit them from an organizational point of view in the first place. Yeah, could they use some picturing. Sure, Carlostnrvius replace Hunter Goodman, gives them a catcher. Sure, that's as far as I would go for Hunter Goodman, Connoley early, Carlos Nervas. That's already uncomfortable for me. But you could convince me to do it.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I probably wouldn't do this, to be honest with you, but you could at least possibly tempt me. Right anyway, That's all I got for this one, Ladies and gentlemen. I got a little heated in that about that. Nope, I don't want to do that anyway. We're gonna wrap it up here, Ladies and gentlemen, Holy cow, were having the most positive night, and then we got into that and I started getting grumpy. We're gonna end this on a positive note. What a run for the Red Sox. Man oh Man Holy cow, this is uh, what a time to be alive. Want to run something we have never seen here before. Let's go for some history tomorrow. Let's go to tie that record fifteen straight. You got the Orioles here tomorrow. Oh yeah, we got super chats. I'm so sorry, I'm okay, super chats. Here we go, super Chats. Let's go to the first one. Marcus fourteen baby, Let's go Red Sox. Love this show, Marcus. I love you, my friend, I love you. It's just it's all the love here tonight. Marcus. Thank you so much for coming on by. Thank you for supporting the show. Appreciate you man. Carl Thomas, Oh no, or Carl Thomin. Sorry I thought I saw Thomas. Don't do this to me, Carl, don't you do this to me. Don't you don't. Ah, you've done it, You've done on it. Carl Shaman reminds me the past few in the past few addings of Craig Kimberl in twenty eighteen putting runners on and then getting out of it, making for a various stressful night and Craig Kimberl, I think I think I almost lost my life back in twenty eighteen when Craig Kimberrell would take the mound that you know. I know you got all the health trackers these days, the Apple Watches, the Whoops, they track your your heart rates. I'm glad I didn't have an Apple Watch or a Whoop back then. It probably the heart rate would have been through the roof. Craig kimberl Hey always love me, kimber Well, Yeah, actually I had one of the best reliever seasons I think, definitely in Red Sox history. But he had one of the best seasons in twenty seventeen. Yeah, Shabban, he's getting a little iffy lately. You kind of wonder if if he's trying to if he's working on something. I don't know. I don't know. But again I mentioned this, like, I wonder if the front off like they are holding their cards close to the vest. They're not saying like, oh, yeah, we're buyers. They're not doing that. They're saying like, yeah, we're gonna see what We're gonna see where we're at. They're not letting the emotions get to them. Especially, you don't want to put stuff out in the media because then the other teams are going to see that right. So they're still going about it the right way. And I've said it before. I wonder if they get creative. You know, I would love to keep Chapman, but I just wonder if they end up doing something moving on. Yeah, Craig Kimberrel oh Man, what have we got from Paul? Did you hear about Oh? There it is, Paul. Thank you for the super chat, Paul. I think I gave you about fifteen minutes on this. Yes, we did hear about it. And I quite the day looking at that one and seeing all the different responses to it. Oh Man, Paul, that was fun here today, Paul again. Luke Weaver for bullpen reinforcement. Sure, I'd love Luke Weaver. He's awesome. He brings just a good vibe as well. We all like to use the word vibes these days, but Weaver's a guy that's just he just seems like a fun dude to have in the clubhouse. And he's been great on the mound over the last couple of years. He's awesome. He has a good strikeout to walk ratio. He's very tough out there in the later innings. I would love someone like Luke Weaver. I do wonder, you know, again, if you end up let's say you move Chapman, I don't know, like do you bring in Weaver all right? Or keep Chapman and bringing Weaver to add to it. I wonder though, if they end up going for a lefty, that's where I could see maybe aj Minterter, maybe Brooks Raley from the Mets, maybe your reunion with Brennen Bernadino. I don't know, he's having a good year, but yeah, you kind of wonder maybe maybe Weaver could be on that list. I think we have caught up to all the super chats, ladies and gentlemen. I think we have all we have caught up on all of them. TD. Can Guerrero be the closer? I don't think so. I think where he's at right now, that's a perfect role for him. Like that sixth seventh inning kind of bridges the gap to the eighth and the ninth. I like him in that spot. I think, don't mess with that. Don't mess with that. If anything, ad a lefty to that mix to kind of help him out in those innings. That's where I'm at and where I'm at next is going to bed soon very happy everybody. I'm gonna wrap it up right there. We'll be back here tomorrow. Let's check on the game time one more time. We'll be back same time tomorrow, Ladies and gentlemen. Seven to ten Eastern time is the start. Ranger Suarez back on the man. We've been back right around the same time, Ladies and gentlemen. I want to thank all of you for coming out here tonight. Appreciate all the members coming out. Paul, don't do it, Steve, all the other members. Oh, ball Cap Sports was here. Jim are you still here. I don't know if you're still here, but ball Cap was here. It's going on, Jim. But the other members that stopped on by, I'm just making sure I'm not seeing any others. Let me see. Let me see that's all the members, unless there's another someone else put something in the shot. Nope, don't see anything anyway. I'm out of here. I'm gonna wrap it up right there. If you kind of the way out, hit the like button, subscribe if you're new, and we'll see tomorrow, ladies and gentlemen,