Speaker 1: Today we have a very special guest, stand up legend actor writer played at Boston College.
Speaker 2: Tight End Folks, Massachusetts native. My name is Gary Goleman, Gary.
Speaker 1: Goldman, Gary Gorman. He's a gentleman, Gary Golvin, Gary Goleman. In studio, we're looking at the Squish the Fish game, the nineteen eighty five AFC Championship between England Patriots and Miami Dolphins. The AFC Championship.
Speaker 2: Who ever would have believed in the early part of the season that the Patriots would be here.
Speaker 1: There's no way We're gonna be Miami, who were happy to make the playoffs.
Speaker 2: We had not won a game in Miami in eighteen years, that's my entire lifetime.
Speaker 1: There was a feeling of momentum and death. Say so, I'm getting the chilse.
Speaker 2: I'm getting the chills that you remember that it was the Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: Play Games with Names is a production of Ihearts Radio Welcome to Games with Names, presented by Win Bett, and on today's episode, we are talking the nineteen eighty five AFC Championship between the new England Patriots and those Miami Dolphins with Gary Goleman. Good episode Patriots before Tom Brady Talk. The reason New england Ers are so funny, not just the os, not just the os other reasons.
Speaker 3: It's because they're miserable.
Speaker 1: They're happily miserable, Kyler. They they are happily miserable. Just like I am. I am one of you New England, you are one of me. We are together in harmony. And that's what we like to call the transition to the next segment of what we're talking about in this episode, the transition of Gary Goleman from football to comedy guy played at.
Speaker 2: BC flawless transition, BC, oh Eagles, Doug Fluteie BC, a lot of awesome BC talk, and then we wrap it up with taking in some of the foam and finally narrowing it down to naming the studio.
Speaker 4: We'll come to a consensus. A consensus may be met.
Speaker 1: Is it met or are we doing a poll? We yeah, we got a little bit everything a right, Let's see, man, that's a fun episode.
Speaker 4: Hey, let's get into it.
Speaker 1: Make sure you check out Games with Names on YouTube, Instagram, x, Snapchat and TikTok at Games with Names. Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, wherever you listen to your podcast, comment a game you want us to do and remember, rate and review. Call in at four two four two nine one two two nine zero four two four two nine one two two nine zero. Leave a message for some great game reres. Tell us some of your old war stories, some iconic games, some bar stories, or whatever.
Speaker 2: Just calling.
Speaker 1: We've been getting a lot of great calls on this line. Our fans are wild, Our fans are awesome.
Speaker 4: We love them.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: My mom used to say when I would come home and the kid would call me weird, I say, Mom, I'm weird, and she'd say, we all have a little of our own.
Speaker 4: Weird Angie, So wise, So Wise.
Speaker 1: Games with Names is brought to you by when Bet. Win Bet brings the excitement of win Las Vegas and Encore Boston Harbor to your phone. Join when Bet today and bet with the official online gaming product from Wind Resorts. Let's Go.
Speaker 2: January twelfth, nineteen eighty six, Miami Orangepool Stadium, Miami, Florida. Don Shula and Dan Marino our game away from heading back to the Super Bowl, but the scrappy Road Warriors from New England that other plan this This is the Squish the Fish Game.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Games and Names presented by win Bet. Today we have a very special guest, Gary Goleman in studio, a stand up legend actor. Writer Avid Hooper played at Boston College, tight End Folks, tight End Folks, Massachusetts native and born on third base is on Max right now. His memoir Misfits Growing Up Awkward in the Eighties is out. Also check it out. Welcome to Games and Names, Gary, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: I'm honored. I've been a fan of yours for a long time. I've been We were talking about this earlier in awe of your transition from kenn State University quarterback to a renowned receiver and a legendary man, because I'm I'm a pebd Massachusetts City so and a huge Patriots fan from it, and I can't wait to get into this from the time I was six or seven years old and the embarrassment of riches that you and your teammates brought to us that New England fans, as you know, will never appreciate because they're so spoiled. But we grew up with just We were happy to make the playoffs and it wasn't considered a failure if we didn't blow out the opposing team in the Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now, you know, we had an unbelievable run. But with what you just said there, you started out as a fan at six years old, right, And I came to Boston in two thousand and nine. Patriots had three Super Bowls on their belt. Yeah, Celtics just won a championship, the Bruins were fighting. The Red Sox just did the whole Crazy Kittens Boodle thing in two thousand and three. So the city was vibrant.
Speaker 2: Was sport. It was like sports. There's no fall, winter, spring.
Speaker 1: It's baseball season, football season, hockey season, or baseball season. Now, in those tiers when I got there, we were kind of, you know, we were flirting with the top of the city just because we were all so good and we had Tom Brady. Yes, in whatever year that was when you were six years old, we're going to be Patriots. In that era, I think they had to have been four because there's a big Socks town, big Celtics town, and then the cult following into the Bruins is always the Bruins.
Speaker 2: They were four, but because they were the only thing on on Sunday if they sold out, That's what I don't know if you ever knew about this, but if the Patriots didn't sell out, they would black out the game on television to sell tickets. That's where the NFL was at the time. So we would root because we couldn't afford to go to Foxborough and pay the pocket and go to the game. So we would pray that the people with money would go to the games so that we could watch it instead of listening to it, and that we would listen to it on the radio, which is not the same. And so in nineteen seventy six, I think it was whenever I started watching football, all anybody wanted to talk about was how the year before we almost beat the Raiders, but we got we got robbed and Stabler had gotten away with something. So that's what I grew up in, and that that we had. Well, you have to understand about Boston fans is that for most of our lives, other than the Celtics, we were living this thing where we were going to be heartbroken. It was just a matter of how it was almost It was very similar to growing up Jewish. Not our history was that something horrible was gonna happen, just not sure when and what it'll be Yeah, and that was the Yeah, that was the thing with the Red Sox and the Patriots that they would break your heart and you were you were taught at a very early age it don't go all in because they's it's Charlie Brown trying to kick the football. And then by the time you got there, everybody was so used to winning that it became I don't know, I hope you didn't listen to talk radio, but the most miserable Monday morning people, even if the Patriots would win, they didn't win by enough, and and they they had weakness is that they were going to talk about for hours on Monday man. And and so I I, at least over the years, have been so grateful for what the teams have brought me. But I think a lot of the newcomers got spoiled. Oh.
Speaker 1: I mean it's a it's it's it's a different beast now in that. I mean, that's title town, yes, and that's been built over thirty years and you've been a part of that town before it was title town.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean you still had the Celtics that had the eight championships.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we had.
Speaker 2: Doug Flutie at Boston College who kept the hearts at about the time we're going to talk about today about the Miami Patriots game.
Speaker 1: But we we rallied around that.
Speaker 2: Boston College football team because they were they were winning in a way that the Red Sox and the and the the Patriots hadn't hadn't down. They went out and won a national championship that year, right, they won the Cotton Bowl. The Cotton they won the Cotton Bowl and the Miracle Miami Ericle Miami and and then so they were ranked third in the in the country, which was the one of the highest rankings in my lifetime. I think when they had Mattie Ice, I think they were ranked third at one point second.
Speaker 1: I was at that game.
Speaker 3: Really yeah, when matt Ryan lost his heisman.
Speaker 2: By the way, that's Kyler and his prominent beard.
Speaker 3: Earlier, whenever Virginia Tech talk comes up, I have to chime in, so continued.
Speaker 2: No, I got it, I got it, I understand. And so yeah, that that was that was my history with the sports and and yeah.
Speaker 1: So let's let's get into it today. We're looking at the Squish the Fish game, the nineteen eighty five AFC championship between the New England Patriots and the seventies Miami Dolphins. Dan Marino Miami Dolphins. I know, I meem that only beat the eighty five Bears. Yeah that year, Yeah, Miami Dolphins. Yeah. So why we picked this game?
Speaker 2: Gary, Well, I think I live in the past to the greatest tent and uh, if you see my book, you'll you'll be confused, but also sort of amazed by my memory of my childhood, Like going back to my first day of kindergarten. I can remember the different lunch boxes that were used and the kids and things that were said. So the games as big as the eighty five and I think it took place in January of nineteen eighty six. I think it was the eighty five eighty six seasons. So the Patriots had had been promising every year they had they had good players. And that's the thing that I think a lot of people miss out on. If you if you have a winning team, is that you're in love with a team. But when you have a losing team, over the years, you fall in love with certain players and you and it's it's a very it's a very nice community. And I think the players appreciate that they're they're expected to do their best and that they're there for a long time and you love them. And so we were. We were in love with guys who had been on that team. There was one guy, Julius Adams, who had been on the team. It felt like my entire life. And and then Anthony Collins and and Andre Tippitt jew Yes, yes, I wish he had gone all I know. I wish he had gone all the way into the Hasidism because I think that would be a great look on him.
Speaker 1: He is a black belt.
Speaker 2: And we man did we love Tippett because if you don't have a whole team of superstars, you cling to these superstars like Andre Tippett who just was doing what he did on that team. And Steve Nelson was a very special player who had been there his entire career.
Speaker 1: So we just we just loved these guys. And who's the other quarterback?
Speaker 2: Was the quarterback in this game, and I think he had been a Heisman like finalist at I think Illinois. But he was a wonderful player and very charismatic. And Grogan had been with us his entire career and we adored him and he was very talented, but they could just never get over the hump and they had bad breaks. And so when they were making this run, they beat the Raiders, which was like this redemption because the Raiders had broken in our hearts and we hated the We hated the Raiders like we hated the Yankees. The Raiders.
Speaker 1: The Raiders were a good football They were amazing, Yes they were.
Speaker 2: They were amazing, and and it might have been a team with like Alzado and Matuzak. Maybe I'm not sure who the Raiders personnel was that year, but I do remember that the the the Miami Dolphins were a rival, sort of like the Yankees, but also the Raiders were everybody was the Yankees to us because we were constantly being upset by these teams, and we had not won a game in Miami in eighteen years. That's that's my entire lifetime. I had never seen them beat Miami in because I was fifteen when this when this whole thing happened and the other thing.
Speaker 1: And I don't know if you felt.
Speaker 2: This way because you were playing and probably distracted by other things, but it was like an extra holiday. If the Patriots were were competitive back then, like everybody in the community would get so excited. There were parties and so it was like it was like another Christmas that year especially.
Speaker 1: And here's the other thing.
Speaker 2: We were kind of we were kind of like, all right, our Super Bowl was beating the Raiders. There's no way we're going to beat Miami. And then my word, and then and the only thing with the Squish the Fish is that there are New Englanders who are still confused by the dolphin not being a fish technically a mammal. And I think we could have a very interesting argument with a lot of older New England as to whether Squished the Fish was was an accurate portrayals of the of the dolphins taxonomy.
Speaker 1: I mean, you tell me a Charlie from Summerville. Charlie and the cat's in.
Speaker 2: The car in Somerville knows that the dolphins have been like, Nah, does it swim in the ocean?
Speaker 1: A fish?
Speaker 2: It's a fish. It's a fish. Does it go good with rice and soy sauce? It's a fish, kid, it's a don't get the spotting up.
Speaker 1: So we have a segment. We'll get back into the game. Okay, but we have a segment we go back into time.
Speaker 2: January twelfth.
Speaker 1: I'm very good at this in eineteen eighty six, of course, because it's a stighty five season, but it's the playoffs, so that means it's January. And the number one movie was Out of Africa.
Speaker 2: Do you ever see it?
Speaker 1: Never?
Speaker 2: Never saw it because it seemed too spot for me at the time.
Speaker 1: I was like, this is a Nazi Fazi movie and it's.
Speaker 2: Probably playing in Lexington and probably playing in Richie Rich Lexington.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know where that is. Lexington is a very affluent community and in the movie The Fighter, they go to a movie in Lexington because he doesn't want anybody from Lowell to see him. And his girlfriend says, why we going to Richie Rich Lexington to see a movie? And it was they were seeing Labelly pac which was a French subtitle movie. Anyhow, I'm giving too much information. Out of Africa I never saw because at fifteen I only saw movies that had like Ferris Bueller or Michael J.
Speaker 1: Fox. And at the Rocky four comes out in a couple of months in the Greatest, you know, the greatest you know, I know it's not the it Fazi Rocky. Yeah, but I was a kid watched, Yeah, eighties, it's so watchable.
Speaker 2: But but here's the thing I think we're coming up on, like the well maybe it'll be fifty years and twenty twenty six of the most watched title fight of all time Creed versus Balboa one. Yeah, I mean that that was a great movie. Nobody gave Balboa a chance ever, and he took him. He took him fifteen rounds. He was a mob enforcer.
Speaker 1: I mean, was.
Speaker 2: A leg breaker for a second rate loan shot. Rock speed is what we need.
Speaker 1: Rock. What's your favorite Rocky movie? Rocky one, Rocky one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think, I mean I've definitely seen it over one hundred times, and I just I think every performance and every line in it is so good. Yeah yeah, I like that. I I but Rocky five, I mean they're also Rocky five was the worst one. But I said that's the worst. I loved it too, Yeah, the Tony Morrison right, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: But I was also younger, you know, like when you're a.
Speaker 2: Kid, Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, you're like you're not thinking about Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I remember first seeing Rocky Flourd.
Speaker 2: It was like America versus Russia Underdog, Like I literally that's literally inspired my my playoff Beard.
Speaker 1: Wow. It was when Rocky went to and he didn't want any distraction and he just had the Russian in the mirror.
Speaker 2: He just wanted to drag large, That's all he wanted. So that was kind of like where I started.
Speaker 1: That is awesome, man.
Speaker 2: And was there a movie that you would watch repeatedly during a season to psych yourself up or a.
Speaker 1: Or anything like that. There was in college? Okay, in college I would watch Rudy Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But but here's my issue with Rudy.
Speaker 2: I always felt so sorry for the walk Ons that I was like, why are you getting your at least we're on scholarship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, my dad made me come here. Yeah, at least we're getting a scholarship.
Speaker 2: You are doing this out of love of this game that is kicking your ass every day. I mean I admire Yeah, I admire it, but I I I often felt sorry for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was for me. I just I would get so fired. I don't know why. I was a great I love the soundtrack, Yes, that's awesome, and I love I love Favreau in it, yes yeah yeah, And then I I you know, the the grind part of him now for the team.
Speaker 2: I don't know why.
Speaker 1: No, it's incredibly it's incredibly inspiring.
Speaker 2: I got it.
Speaker 1: I get it completely. It comes out that the guy didn't wasn't anything like that. I talked to Montana over read.
Speaker 2: A part of it.
Speaker 1: It's like this Rudy movies, like Rudy Rocket, that's slap dig I'm like, oh that's ah.
Speaker 2: That's hilarious. Oh my gosh. Yeah, I've never heard a good story about the actual Rudi.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That. Yeah, it was a great movie. Hollywood great, oh, Hollywood Disney right, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The number one song was That's What Friends Are? Yeah. That was a very that was a very lovely Diane and Friends.
Speaker 2: Yeah. One of her friends was Elton John, Elton John, John Warwick, Elton John TV Wan TV wonder. That was so.
Speaker 1: That was kind of it was kind of like the we are the World ye, I think for for the HIV AIDS. I think maybe was this, but it was uh, we are the World's for AIDS.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, that was for for uh famine in in Africa in nineteen eighty four. And then this I think raised awareness and money for HIV AIDS research.
Speaker 1: That's good. Yeah, you know that, and that's I see that. That shows are you know you're a generation before me. I'm an old man.
Speaker 2: It's a very nice way to say I'm an old but like for me, no, it is a generation before be the thing like ours would be like a TikTok.
Speaker 1: Trend or nine to eleven right, well, yeah, nine to eleven, Well that that would be like our JF like my challengation, whereas mine was John Lennon's John assassination.
Speaker 2: Yes, or like the challenge. I don't remember the challenge. I kind of was a challenge. I was in ninth grade. I think, Yeah, that was that was hard.
Speaker 3: You don't remember the challenge? The challenger happened before you were born. Oh what's the what's the other one that had the teachers that was challenging? Think in Colombia, Colombia, I think Columbia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wasn't there another one?
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 3: I think I've lost track of my shuttles. This is this is there one close by? This is by far our darkest. Let's go back segment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Chernobyl meltdown my word. Well, they knew they were bringing on a depressive, so they covered the some dark times in the in the eighties. You know, karate Kid also came out during this work off. Edelman was born May twenty second, eighty six. You're a Taurus like my dad philgo Gemen. Oh, you're on the cosp Gemini gem two sided, guy, You're two sided. But but here the here's the thing, the side I'm getting today. Isn't it incredibly humble? Down to earth young man? You were raised well and had good coaches. Is that is that where you're gonna rely on You're a kind person? Tight ship.
Speaker 3: He's on the right level of microdosing right now.
Speaker 2: He hit it. He's got it today.
Speaker 1: Kyler, Well they started too. Oh wow, yeah, I remember that. I used to love You're getting a car. You're getting a car. Oh my gosh, it was. It was incredible. She was in the sports World nineteen eighty five eighty six. Oklahoma beats Joey Paz, Penn State and Orange Bowl for the national title.
Speaker 2: Are you college football guy?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: And so clearly Boston College is your spot. I let yeah, I love boss in college. But I also remember watching that game and every year New Year's Day was a really special time to watch great to watch great college football and the thing is is that I don't follow the Heisman like I used to. But I can remember Bo Jackson winning the winning the Heisman, and then I think, I want to say, Barry Sanders wanted a year or two later or something like that at at Oklahoma State.
Speaker 1: But yeah, doc on him. It's so good, right, Yeah, his dad, it's their best running back of all time. Jim Brown, me and they you, it's so funny. I just love I love Barry.
Speaker 2: I could watch highlights him and it's like he was our Gail Sayers right one hundred, I mean.
Speaker 1: Every kid and just to see talk about humble and yeah, a man that like took it to a whole other level. I don't even want to be on the field for that two thousand yarder because I don't want the record.
Speaker 2: Right, And and like I was saying, fans in Detroit, I mean they they they've raised him to the level of a deity. I mean, they love him so much because that he was all they had for so long. Yeah, and he didn't switch teams. I mean, he's really a commendable guy.
Speaker 1: He really is. I mean, and you can see his relationship with his sons from that dock. He's just he's a good man.
Speaker 2: His dad was.
Speaker 1: It was a nut, but he was doing something right. Yeah, you know, you know you look at that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Marcus Allen was the NFL m VP because that that was Raiders Allen.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, Raiders Allen. Yeah, high knees. Yeah, he was a stud. I remember a lot on the T. Yeah, he played for a long time.
Speaker 2: Hes a winner two, Yeah he was Yeah at usc USC Yeah, they have the most, right with six or not.
Speaker 1: We just had linerd On he was dropping right Liner Liner the lefty. Yeah with Reggie Bush.
Speaker 3: Oklahoma's got seven Oklahoma, Wow, Kyler.
Speaker 2: In Ohio.
Speaker 1: In usc all right, Alo, they all have a lot.
Speaker 2: They're all very good.
Speaker 1: The Celtics lose four two to the Lakers in the eighty four finals. You remember this, I do.
Speaker 2: Remember that because we won the first game by thirty four points, I think, so it was they were already burying the Lakers and they were gonna have to break up the team. And then the Lakers won in six games, which it was very depressing. But the Celtics came back so strong in eighty six and put on the floor one of the greatest teams of all time. And I put them against up there with the with the last Dance Bowls and some of the Warriors teams. I mean they were, but the Lakers were incredible back then. And then the other thing that was very sad was was that the Bias then bias thing. So we won the NBA Championship, but then we had the draft. Took him second behind Brad Dougherty from UNC and he played at Maryland, and I remember thinking, this guy is just as good as and I'm not a person who exaggerates or hyperbole. I was like, this guy is as strong athletically as as Michael Jordan. Will you have the drive? Who knows? But then we found out. I remember my friend Mike Murphy called me up. He said, Gary, did you hear that Len Bias side? And I said, that's not funny?
Speaker 1: How was it? How was that a funny joke?
Speaker 2: And so I think, now that I think about it, that's probably my JFK moment is finding out that Len Bias died from CNN, which was like this brand new news network at the time. And then yeah, and then the fall, so the so the Patriots losing the Super Bowl, and then the Fall the Red Sox lost to the Mets and Bill Buckner's era. That was just like I was literally crying, Like who cries over a ballgame? But I cried that the Red Sox lost it. It felt like like a death.
Speaker 1: I cried when the goddamn rally monkey came and beat my Giants. Really yeah, like three to two, right the.
Speaker 2: Right? Yeah, Oh my gosh, Oh I got it. Yeah, I mean, yeah, that's crazy. How fandom really in community? Oh yeah, you know the supporters as sports, I mean, it was much more prevalent in our days. Sure, I mean it's changed just because information and people have a lot of different you know, interest these days.
Speaker 1: Sometimes they're and you can have different interests these days. He used to be just sports, No.
Speaker 2: But sometimes they're rooting for things such as the gambling outcomes, but also how their fantasy teams been doing, which which I played one year and the guys were so cutthroat that I vowed never to do it again. And yeah, you know, I played with Kyler. We have a we have a Coast Productions fun team.
Speaker 1: And how you doing, Jeels, I'm middle of the pack. I'm six and six right now. I need to do a couple of trades. But I mean I'll go on and just putting content. I'll go on thinking I'm doing something smart, watching on a guy that you know might have a oh yeah game coming up. Yeah, like thirty guys got them waved already. They must have been on. Like these guys are putting serious hours into this thing. Oh yeah, yeah, that was the thing that they were putting way more hours. I got a I gotta go to the grocery. I have a life, goddamn it. Yeah, I mean, Kyler, you giggle, you're picking up all those good little running backs.
Speaker 2: Should I pull up the stands? No?
Speaker 1: Leave it there there. Well, let's set to the stage for the Miami Dolphins. Okay.
Speaker 3: So the nineteen eighty five Miami Dolphins, uh led by Hall of famers Don Shula Dan Marino, went to the Super Bowl year before right, yep again and lost to the feig nine Ers and then also Hall of famer Dwight Stevenson Center get some o line love. They were coming off a season in Super Bowl, right, they lost the forty nine ers. That was the year Dan Marino threw for forty eight touchdowns, so they were filing themselves. Dan Marino held out in training camp this year more money, and so the Dolphins had a bit of a slow start and then they kind of picked it up late in the season.
Speaker 2: They were out.
Speaker 3: They had seven straight wins, including a all time matchup against the eventual Super bowlchampions, the eighty five Bears on a Monday night game, which at the time was considered one of the greatest and most watched Monday night football games of all time.
Speaker 1: Surpassed by that Rams Chiefs Ones A couple.
Speaker 2: Of years ago. Everyone was like, I think, yes, that was some game. That was a crazy game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we played them on Sunday Night Football, like a couple of weeks later, I think, or some primetime game. It was forty to forty three.
Speaker 2: It was yeah, no, they put up I mean, but the Miami Dolphins at that time were a modern offense like what we see now, throwing so much and and whereas the Patriots were grinding it out and and that, Yeah, that was the matchup in in that playoff game. This was like the era. But mock Mock Dupa and Mock Clayton would just they would make circus catches. And another game that I remember from my childhood. I wonder if you've ever seen highlights of this was the Chargers versus the Dolphins. It was Fouts, yes, Dan Fouts versus Dan Marino, and it was either overtime or last second play, and it was It was considered one of the one of the great games of all time. Like the final score was in the forties but maybe either a touchdown or field goal separating, and it was just it was really inspiring these guys. I remember Kellen Winslow being carried off the field with two guys. Like remember that old thing where there was no stretcher. You would just have your teammates kind of you would put your arms around them and they would kind of hobble you off the field.
Speaker 1: The guys had jobs in the off season too.
Speaker 2: It was like, yeah, it was like the Civil War where they would just put a splende and you would bite down on a stick while they while they chopped off your foot.
Speaker 1: Well, they'd obviously give you a shot of you know, gramozel cough medicine.
Speaker 2: That was your your number totally. They would get you drunk first and then yeah and then amputatee and then they would throw in some dirty ass alcohol into the yes, yes, and then you would go back out there with missing, missing a foot and an elbow.
Speaker 3: So that game was called the in Miami Chargers one forty one to thirty eight place January second, nineteen eighty two in the Orange Bowl, which our game is in. Also, it's a fun fact Dwite Stevenson was also in that team too.
Speaker 1: Wow, thank you, Kyla. You're a great producer here.
Speaker 3: This is you're missing Jack.
Speaker 2: You're missing Jack? Oh?
Speaker 3: Really yeah, I'm filling in.
Speaker 1: Oh killing in.
Speaker 2: Well we got to look at four three. Yeah, that's very nice that Kyler gave a shout out to Jack. Well, what's what's your thoughts on the city of Miami. It's it's, uh, it's not my speed. I'm a I'm a I'm a stay at home guy, and so I don't really like to stay out late in the party scene. But I recognize that, I recognize the draw in terms of the the uh quality of the personnel in the in the clubs and the and.
Speaker 1: The bars and and quality. Yeah, there's some high quality there.
Speaker 2: And I understand that it's a very lucrative place to live for a professional athlete because you don't have to pay the state taxes. But I really I like the Northeastern cities to live in, although I lived in Los Angeles for six years and I loved it. Yeah, really really good people. They say everybody's yeah, they got everybody's phony. But if you find your group, you're finding some of the best of wherever they came from.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I believe that, yes, but I love That's what people always ask me, the difference between like East Coast in LA West Coast. I'm from the Bay Area, so it's completely different up there, but it's it's Yeah, people on the East Coast are meaner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know what you're getting right, Yeah, So that exactly not a lot of bullshit. Yeah, there's no agenda.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no one wants to say hi because it's fucking three degrees outside.
Speaker 2: You got to shovel your goddamn car. They're more real. But you know what I'm getting off of you. I and I only spent a small amount of time with him, but he was very similar to you. When he's a Bay guy, I shouldn't say he's a big guy. He's a California lifelong person, lived in LA but Bill Walton from the UCLA and I guess grew up in San Diego.
Speaker 1: But then then Bill Walton.
Speaker 2: And he just, I mean, has lived one of the all time legendary lives in terms of his the time of his existence and the people he intersected with. And he's just really like I remember telling him what an inspiration he was, and he was like, I had great coaches and great family and it sounds like you you always come off so humble, but you've lived one of the great lives so well. I mean, it's really nice. It's refreshing. I appreciate that. But I'm just telling you, you know, that's I believe that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And no one gets to anywhere by themselves, right, and there's always a support system of something or a group or a friend, a mentor coach. But it's nice for people to hear that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I appreciate that.
Speaker 3: No, I mean, it's amazing. You brought up Bill Walton because I just mentioned Jack, who normally does this. He sets up these rundowns and he had Bill Walton in the sports and really because Bill Walton signed with the Celtics. Yeah, yeah, yeah, And I was like, I'm going to cut it. I don't know about Bill Walton. We wanted to talk about it.
Speaker 2: I love watching Bill Walton that like when it was concerts and ship. Yeah, he's always talking about Grateful Dead. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So you're you're in Boston, so you're getting a Pack ten game at like ten o'clock and you got Bill Walton talking about LSD and yeah about you know, the Packed twelve.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's more than color commentary. It's colorful. I honestly watched just for me.
Speaker 1: Too, me too. It's kind of like the the show on T n T was Shack Yes, Carl, Yeah, I don't even watch basketball. I know, I watched the halftime. It's this weird sitcom. I love it. Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 2: Charles Barkley is is the funniest athlete I have I've ever seen. He's a great dude too.
Speaker 1: Oh really he's that's so nice to hear. That's really great.
Speaker 2: I've heard that. I've heard he's very he's very generous and the earth. Yeah, he's so funny.
Speaker 1: My word. He doesn't mean to be always funny though, Oh really, no, not always.
Speaker 2: Oh I just love him. What about these Pats?
Speaker 3: Okay, so the nineteen eighty five Patriots, they're kind of identity. There was a tough team. They were coached by Raymond Berry, which a fun fact about him is he was one of John Uniteds's favorite receivers back. He was playing Tom Cult legend and was a teammate with Don Shula for two years in Baltimore.
Speaker 1: As wow, I didn't that makes sense.
Speaker 3: So this is a great defense led by Hall of Fame and notable jew Andre Tippet. As we mentioned, they gave up only eighteen point one points per game and had twenty three interceptions. They were both a top ten defense and a both top ten offense as well. There was a bit of a quarterback controversy we talked about with Steve Grogan and Tony Eason.
Speaker 1: You can see that they're a tough football team when you're starting quarterbacks. Got under sixty percent completion percentage in eleven touchdowns in seventeen Yeah.
Speaker 2: Interceptions, yeah, I mean, but look at Craig James was oddly some you Yeah, and he was he was an carrier. Yeah, and then he became a commentator for the college football and on ESPN for a long time and he was really yeah, really good. And Stanley Morgan, oh my gosh, he was. Yeah, you would have loved him. He was the records Yeah, and and for a team that didn't throw very much, but if they threw, they were they were throwing him. We had some really nice Sadly, we lost a tight end named Russ Francis from that era who played for the Niners as well. But he was he was a man, a wonderful tight end back when they used to block a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, you know, I do Fox with with Rob Gronk and we'll sit and talk and I always pick his brain whenever because we'll watch all the games together and I have all the TVs. Yeah, sitting there, you got Howie Long. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm sitting there and I'm like, Yo, gron what do you think about this kid? He's more of an H back. Go Gronk, what do you think about this guy? He's more of an H back. He really things that the true tight end position, there's only like two to five, two to three that are a traditional tight end that could sit up on the end of the line of scrimmage block of nine technique. Right, wow, you know what I mean. There's not many guys that do that. Yeah, a lot of these guys. It's become a pass catching position. Oh, it's an extra wide receiver. Yeah, you know what I mean. You get big total livers and then you're playing the personnel group game, and now they don't have to block the ends anymore. They can get up on you know, a smaller backer. Oh yeah, game, it's completely changed.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it's so much faster it is. I can't get over it sometimes, Gary, How was how was your blocking when you put it awful? My blocking was My blocking was awful. My technique was was awful. I relied on being able to jump very high and I had good hands, but my my blocking, I could never do it. They used to call it a reach block. Yeah, and that and that yeah, and that's a really that's a really hard block. And also when I was in high school, they didn't want you to use your hands. They wanted you to block with your shoulder, so that yes, the flippers. Yeah, so you would get called for a holy call. And then when I got to college that you were allowed to use your hands and get in there, and it was it was a very difficult adjustment. And then the other thing going from a high school to college was that you you had to In high school, they.
Speaker 1: Just threw the ball high you caught it.
Speaker 2: In college, it was like, well, if the if you have a rolled up corner, then you have to make this dission, this decision, And I was like a rolled up what now? I was It was really hard to keep up with it with the playbook and it wasn't as sophisticated as your playbook.
Speaker 1: No, but at every every level that you go up, yeah, it's a big jump. Yeah. I can remember, Yeah, going from high school to junior college and I was a jump just as athletes. Yeah, and you know you do well in junior college you go to everyone was the best.
Speaker 2: In their area.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you go to that and it's like you have to learn a new language.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But the idea that football players are any athlete are our meatheads is so false and insult thing because the level of intellect and the decision making, the quickness. Not to mention the kinetic genius that you guys have, but anybody I know they make fun of gronk, but anybody who can do these these reads is has it has an intelligence. Maybe not for chemistry and physics, no, but right, but for for the movement and also just the decision making quickness is really impressive.
Speaker 1: I played in the league for twelve years. I played with some meat heads. Really, they couldn't follow the the.
Speaker 2: There's there's like maybe one to three guys on a team that are just either so big, so fast, I see strong.
Speaker 1: I see physically. They were able to dominate and do that. They won't do it for a long time now, right, you know because people learn your moves when you get on film, yes, and people can prepare for it, yes, but you know they can sneak out. There's some meat heads that can sneak out a couple of years. All right, all right, thanks for thanks for nobody. Also I also say that too, Like, uh, I got a little disappointed in Meryl Streep because I was a huge Meryl Streep fan, still am. But when she went on the she won an award for Best Actress or something. It was like five years ago or something, and she goes she called out the athlete community, like where the arts were this? And I go, you know how artistic it is to be able to have this vision, to be able to set up a block, do a spin move that's like that's a person's art.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: You know, like you said that kinetic art, yeah, movement, yes, yeah, you see some of these guys run. Yes, they're big, strong, fast, but they have footwork like a ballerina.
Speaker 2: It wasn't a coincidence that Jerry Rice dominated Dancing with the Stars. Yeah, yeah, right right, because he's an artist. Yeah, there were a lot of There were a lot of players who who could have been equally impressive and dance or things like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Emmit Smithton boll too. Yeah, Oh my gosh, it was awesome. Yeah, won great feet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you get offered every single year to be on that show.
Speaker 1: I'm not going on Dancing with the Stars. Good for you. If I got to go there, we got problems. I love Dancing with the Stars. I'm a big fan, but let me let me like doing this.
Speaker 2: No, you can do your you can use your brain in your mouth to do great things.
Speaker 1: And Meryl Streep, you know, are still a fan. But you know it hurt me.
Speaker 2: No, I get that. That is hurtful. And there's part of the country. I love UFC. In the NFL. Where are the arts artistic? It is narrow. She didn't have to she didn't have to take bring us down. Yeah, exactly exactly.
Speaker 3: So to wrap up this Patriots team, a little bit of quarterback controversy. Grogan was up and down his whole career. They drafted Tony Easton in a pretty incredible nineteen eighty three draft class for quarterbacks. John Lway, Jim Kelly, and Dan Marino was drafted actually after Tony Easton, so Eason won the job start of the year. I believe two and three separated his shoulder.
Speaker 1: Say those guys again real quick, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: So the whole draft class, you know, just the three guys that were before him, John Elway at first overall, Jim Kelly at fourteen, who was after him. Dim Reno was after Tony. So Tony Gyson was drafted to fifteen.
Speaker 1: Little problem with his nose, if.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean. And wasn't the Bears quarterback in that draft class too.
Speaker 3: Also was Todd black Legs and Ken O'Brien. Where the other people drafted in the first round. I don't know about McMahon. I can come back on McMahon. So there's a little controversy with the quarterbacks. Easton goes down to the shoulder, Grogan comes in. They win six games in a row, and then Grogan breaks his leg and a lot overtime loss of the Jets and then Easton comes back in and then finishes out the season. Also would be remiss if we don't mention Hall of Fame Patriot legend John Hannah.
Speaker 1: This is dog Hannah from Alabama, Hannah from a BAM.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean that was how desperate we were for superstars that we were in love with an offensive lineman guard.
Speaker 1: He was different though.
Speaker 2: That's tight though, Yeah, that's tight. I loved him. I love I always clicked with the line like I love Logan Mankins. Yeah, I love Logans. Yeah, of course, just the dude. I like Matt Light and Matt they were really good guys too. That the interesting wrestler. Yeah. The interesting thing with the offensive lineman, and I'm sure this is not unique to Boston College was how close they were.
Speaker 1: And and and they were real family.
Speaker 2: And because they're they're not getting all the all the notoriety and everything like that that but they're doing all the hardest work you got to win the game. And they never touch a football.
Speaker 1: No, they're the ultimate selfless team player. Yeah, don't say much. They all hang out by each other. Yeah. Yeah, and their average life expectancy is like thirty nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're like professionals. They're like wrestlers, right, they're they're like professional wrestling.
Speaker 1: It's changed. It's changed because you see him. All these guys now, as soon as they're done, they shed sixty pounds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yes, yes, you know, yeah, more a lot more information these days.
Speaker 1: No, it's true.
Speaker 2: You know. Back in the day, they yeah, keep it eating.
Speaker 3: So John Hannah said of this season, my goal was to play sixteen years. And during that season nineteenighty five eighty six, I had a torn calf muscle, two torn rotator cuffs, and they'd blown up knee. They repaired both shoulders at the same time. When I went to get my knee done, my cartilage looked like sand. My femur was wearing down. I was told by the doctor that if I had a job I could do outside of football, I should go do that.
Speaker 2: And that's what I did.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's tough. The shoulder, knee. Oh, surgeries, I can't imagine. I'm very lucky. Wow, twelve surgeries. It's like every off season it's like going into the get a pit stop.
Speaker 1: Man. When you know the radiologists and the nurses by name, Yeah, hey Mary, are you doing it right? Oh? Man? Did you give me a little extra scoop on that one?
Speaker 2: Oh my god? But I will say going, I have gone under and those when you're counting down.
Speaker 1: That's a man that feels good.
Speaker 2: Just go sleep. Sleep The best note tossing and turning just ten, I'm out, Michael Jackson and Prince is that? What is that?
Speaker 5: Was that too?
Speaker 1: I think so?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: RP Alright, Uh, let's set the stage of this game first we get to the game. What was the whole thoughts of the city of this team just tough team, everyone's proud of it?
Speaker 2: Or yeah, I mean it was like I said, it felt like a holiday. Yeah, like like we didn't get school off, but everybody was focusing on that and everybody was in a good mood the way. Do you remember like Wednesday before Thanksgiving at school, everybody's like even the teachers who don't like you are being kind and looking out for you. That's what it feels like in New England. Maybe get when the when the when the Pat's Red Sox Bruins or are going for a championship and we we we were not that hopeful that we could win in Miami, but there was a chance for a for a miracle. We had seen what flute he had done in Miami recently, and so we were, yeah, we were all about this. I think, yeah, there was there was maybe a destiny vibes and and sports radio was it was basically this guy called Eddie Andandlman in New England. He had a show in w hd H and it was it was Sunday night, so one night a week you would hear sports talk and then sometimes Sunday morning they were shows. So it wasn't a it wasn't a twenty four hour broadcast. There was one broadcast. And remember he had a he had a song parody about this team with all the players because some of the players names rhymed like lip It and Tippett although it was La pet but Andre Tippet, lip It and Tippet, and Blackman's a sackman. The d doesn't play, it attacks, the Dolphins will go down today to Raymond Berry's pats. That was the song. I can't bet I'm getting the chills that I.
Speaker 1: Remember those that you remember.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and and so we and we hadn't won in a while. The Red Sox hadn't made the playoffs since nineteen seventy five.
Speaker 1: So that's ten years.
Speaker 2: That's a lifetime nowadays, right if the Red Sox won ten years without even making the playoffs and then and the Patriots had beaten the Jets and then the Raiders, so there wasn't there was a feeling of momentum and destiny. But we never went in Miami. Eighteen consecutive years of losing in Miami.
Speaker 1: So that yeah, so we were ten years.
Speaker 2: We were not we were not convinced they would win. And then oh my word, it was the Super Bowl for us.
Speaker 1: It was the Super Bowl to the Super Bowl, Yeah, super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Games with Names is brought to you by my friends at wind Bet. Wind Bet is bringing the excitement of win Las Vegas and Encore Boston Harbor to online sports betting. Whether you're re creational player or a serious handicapper, win bet is your ticket to every exciting wager, from straight up bets to parlays, teasers, and any prop bet you can dream up. All players have access to win rewards and can redeem them for resort credit in Las Vegas and Boston. Sign up today and get in the game online or visit Boston sportsbook at Encore Boston Harbor there's no way better to enjoy sports with little extra winning in your pockets.
Speaker 2: Betting is a team sport. Join the win bet team and bet with the best.
Speaker 4: Must be twenty one or older and present in the state where playthrough win bet is available. Terms and conditions at winbet dot com. If you were someone you know has a gambling problem, call one eight hundred and five to two to two four seven zero zero. Kyler set the stage.
Speaker 3: So the lead up to this game we kind of touch on all of it. Patriots were wildcard team, kind of a road warrior, beat the Jets on the road, beat the number one Los Angeles Raiders on the road, and then eventually beat this Dolphins team on the road to go to the Super Bowl Dogs Road Dogs. And this was the first team to make it to the super Bowl from the wild Card and this is the first team to win all three road games to make it to the Super Bowl. And Gary mentioned too about this Orange Bowl Jinx. The Pats were oh to eighteen in the Orange Bowl.
Speaker 1: I didn't realize that they had never won there.
Speaker 2: I just thought it was eighteen years in a row, which makes sense because the team was not that sixty.
Speaker 3: And maybe since nineteen sixty six. I don't know if they had won one in the past. They did win one on the road in Florida in Tampa, but it was in Tampa onge.
Speaker 1: The Orange Bowl. They owned us the Orange Bowl, I mean wow.
Speaker 3: And then leading up to this game from the Dolphins side, because of the matchup they had with the Bears, and everyone was viewing that that was such a matchup and this was going to be an incredible Super Bowl over Dolphins Bears the rematch. Ye offense, great defense, let's go. So they were kind of looking at and they were writing a I think a seven or eight game win streak into this.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 3: And then also Squish the Fish was selling t shirts and yeah, I remember that.
Speaker 2: That's amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's good fun, it really is.
Speaker 3: And then the game is not a the most remarkable gameplay. I think the thing here is a lot of.
Speaker 1: The anticipation kind that's remarkable. Yeah, that's called tough. You want to be a tough team. You gotta run the ball, you gotta stop. They just gotta cover kicks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they grounded out.
Speaker 1: It was it was Craig James, Anthony Collins, and this guy named Mosy Tatupu who was like a local, a.
Speaker 2: Local legend of Samoan legend and and also a Patriots legend. He could always be counted on to get you the really tough yards. He was so tough and strong and and beloved. There was this group called Mossy's Mooses, which was like the equivalent of of Like they would make a big sheet, put it on and they were fans of this guy who only carried the ball four or five times, but he blocked. He blocked really hard. Yeah, and he was really important to everybody. We Yeah, the blue collar type players are just so beloved in New England after all these still that's a big thing. Yeah, yeah, the lunch pail guys, that's what they loved about. Julian Edelman, who was once quoted as saying, I love getting hit.
Speaker 1: Your young, dumb and full of cup. You don't know what you're thinking.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking of that. I'm like, oh, it's so stupid. No, but is this not just a perfect display of what your city is through football teams?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yes, totally tough, totally top fifty on the round. Yeah. And by the way, you could see that maybe if it was in a cold weather game. But to grind it out like that when in my end and it was just Tony Easton. He did not throw many many attempts, I mean, and he made most of them. And it was basically ball control. And then, and here's the thing. Growing up as a Patriots fan, they were always a run first team. They would run on third down and then and then punt on fourth down like they would maybe throw sometimes on third down position. But yes, totally, but they they would. Yeah, they weren't a team that would air it out very frequently. And and Grogan I thought had a good arm, but they just yeah, they were They were a ball control offense. Yeah, I can't, you know, I'm looking at everything. I'm looking at all the numbers. But Don Shula is a handsome guy. No, he had a gorgeous had a wavy hair, and and over the years I did. It just drives me crazy that the those old Dolphins guys get to celebrate every year when a team loses. It drives me nuts like.
Speaker 1: That that we had that.
Speaker 2: Yes, I wasn't the I know, but someday it has to happen, and if only to to shut those guys up because they're they're smug about it, and they they don't bring into the fact that they did not play a sixteen game regular season and the playoffs run as ard to us.
Speaker 1: That means it's probably never gonna happen. It may never happen because it's eighteen. It'll be eighteen probably in the next three years, right, and you know there's an extra playoff game less byes. Yeah, that's it's that's regardless if it was fourteen or whatever. That's that's an impressive stat just to have guys to be able to get up every week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know how it is. No, I know, I know.
Speaker 1: The start of the season, you're excited because it's the start.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 1: Then the days get short, man, it's tough, gets cold. Yeah, your body starts tot you got an ankle, your having all day? Yeah, you know, week seven to twelve, you're sitting there miserable.
Speaker 2: Sun's gone.
Speaker 1: You go into work, it's dark, you leave work, it's dark. You see you see the sun or the cloudy grace guys of Foxborough for that's depressing. It's very depressing. I used to have this little light me too. Yeah, the light in my locker the light box. Yes, it's supposed to give you the UV yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, it's really helpful. But it's and that's the vitamin D supplements. They were huge into that. That's yes.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, most people are vitamin D deficient. Let's do let's do a quick PSA. Yeah, get your vitamin D.
Speaker 1: Vitamin D, but you also have to have calcium to break down the vitamin D. So don't forget the calcium as well. Oh and needs to be able to break it down.
Speaker 2: Okay, So take a calcium supplement as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, because that's what helps the vitamin D get breaking down. That's really helpful.
Speaker 3: Let me wrap it this game. So final score was thirty one fourteen. We touched on the big things was Patriots out out rushed the Dolphins two fifty five to fifty six. They you mentioned Tony Easton only had twelve pass attempts, but he threw for three touchdowns. Dan Marino, you went twenty for forty eight, two touchdowns, two interceptions, and there was six total turnovers from the Dolphins for this game.
Speaker 2: That is something else. The Marino was as good as it ever got. I'm looking at the face masks and they're I mean they're similar to what people wear when they're fencing.
Speaker 1: Right they are. I don't know how they ever saw I mean that was that's what I grew up seeing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, line right, yeah, and.
Speaker 1: They have those neck rolls and the huge shoulder pads. Now it's as small as you can. Did you wear any knee pets my first three years? I didn't, and they needed it with knee or thigh? Isn't that good just to be faster? I don't know why. I just thought it looked cooler.
Speaker 2: The vanity. Yeah, my word.
Speaker 1: It was more of all the studs on the team were doing it.
Speaker 2: I see, you know, I get it. To do that, I get it, I get it. That makes sense.
Speaker 1: And then you get a deep thigh bruise and Belichicks like, what the fuck are we go? Jesus So he would mandate us. He mandate us in practice, put it in games, you could take them out.
Speaker 2: Was there ever a point where you felt comfortable with somebody like that or is it always ill? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, after like my second Super Bowl win, okay, and like a historic catch, then I felt like I could crack a joke at them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just always every experience in to this day.
Speaker 2: My high school coach and anybody who coached me in college, I still call them coach, and I still want to make them proud and please them.
Speaker 1: I still Isn't it interesting?
Speaker 2: It is?
Speaker 1: But I mean, but they really were so meaningful to us.
Speaker 2: I mean, especially at our at our youngest ages, they mold your your outlook. And I don't think everybody should play a sport, but you should play something where you have to rely on somebody for mentorship and guidance and also something that somebody helps you improve at something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it's a great lesson, right I think there's so many life lessons, Like I have a six year old right now, and I love that she's in soccer teams, she does gymnastics, tennis. The life lessons you learn in a team sport or I think so much on a different page, just because in life, you're not going to go through this thing alone. And anything you do, you have a job, you are this a You're gonna need other people, and so you need to learn at a long young age how to work with people. You need to learn at a young age to rely on other people. You need to learn at a young age that people are going to rely on you. You need accountability. You're going to learn how to compete. You're going to learn how to set goals. You're going to learn how to sacrifice and all these things. Like as soon as she gets old enough where she can make her own decision that she don't have to play, but at least you'll have that instilled in her and she'll feel that and then she can go to what she wants. Yeah, I love it right now. It's not a this isn't a democracy a dictatorship.
Speaker 2: That's good. But I mean the other thing, And maybe it's obvious, but it was. It was unusual I think when I grew up in the nineteen seventies in a community that was that.
Speaker 1: Was mostly white people with people. Yeah, it was white tough people.
Speaker 2: And then but through basketball and football and and sports, I was able to interact with with people who didn't look like me. And it was really it was important to understand, now, they're no different than you, they want the same things, They work as hard as you do, sometimes harder, and and so that that was very helpful in that circumstances.
Speaker 1: Communities, culture.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I know a lot of people who who are in certain fields that never intersect with people who don't look like them, and they're.
Speaker 1: And and it's really they're missing out. And that's just and they they probably acted a certain way around people because they don't have experience. And that's what the sport does. It caused you to experience other people. Yeah, and I've been blessed that way with comedy as well. People have different backgrounds and interests and and and and who weren't even born in America. Frequently it's been really cool. And it's really cool because you guys have a common interest.
Speaker 2: Yes, Yeah, so that's what brings you together. And that's and that's the other that's the other thing. They didn't care where you came from, as long as you could play or or loved the sport.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was really special. A lot of stuff to be learned from sport. You know, it's definitely not for everyone. No, there's so many No. But it could also be music instruments or something like that.
Speaker 5: That.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's the first thing that comes to mind when you think of this game? After the game, before the game, when you think of this game, I think of my dad.
Speaker 2: I think of my dad because I'm from a divorce family. So he would come on Sundays, and Sundays meant watching the Patriots with him, and he was such a good fan.
Speaker 1: I never heard him criticize the players.
Speaker 2: He would be disappointed, he would be sad, but he never said because a lot of New England fans say, don't don't follow the Red Sox, don't follow the Patriots, I'll break your heart. But my dad just loved these guys and these teams. And I remember how happy he was and how he wasn't a pessimist, which a lot of Bostonians are. He really believed in the team from week to week and it would be become disappointed. And we were just so thrilled by that game and so excited about the super Bowl. And the great thing about the mindset back then was that making it to the.
Speaker 1: Super Bowl was the super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a dream come true, and we were happy it wasn't It wasn't a failure if the team lost, is it now? I feel and I feel for the Buffalo Bills fans. Yeah, because it happens four times in a row. It's comical.
Speaker 1: And then what they're going through right now, Yes, you think that this is their time?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's heartbreaking, but but I just I feel for those fans because it's it's uh, you give your heart and soul.
Speaker 1: You really do those people. I'll tell you right now, those Buffalo fans, they haven't they haven't experienced a lot of success, and they still love their team. They love their team.
Speaker 2: They've never been.
Speaker 1: Leaked off so many different ways. Anytime, oh wow, anytime you go into Buffalo from three years old to one hundred years old, you're getting the finger after you leave.
Speaker 2: Was there ever something somebody yelled and not in the profanity, but something like I remember just certain things would be yelled from from opposing teams and they would like get you.
Speaker 1: Like really like Gary your hair or something.
Speaker 2: It would really be it would be like that hurt my feeling.
Speaker 1: You want to know what hurt my feelings? When it was a third and eight and all of a sudden, I see a pink dill do get thrown onto the field and it says Brady's dildo. That's what That's what traumatized me. And I sat and watched, Sorry that happened to you. I sit and watch the referees. They're sitting here having a discussion on how to get it off the field. One's kicking it off. They don't know what to do.
Speaker 2: It was that. That's what I remember from the Buffalo, Buddy, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: It was so big.
Speaker 2: Yes, as the Beastie Boys, I think toured with that.
Speaker 1: So the Patriots went on to Super Bowl ten or twenty, super Bowl twenty at their first in franchise history, the first X rated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the first extra Oh my gosh, truly, there was wow. Literally that was on the field.
Speaker 1: I was actually impressed with the fan that imagination to sneak this thing in because it's not easy getting nuts into that stadium. No, that's really impressive.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, I don't want to I don't want to make any any guesses that where it.
Speaker 1: Was hiding it. The Patriots lost to the Bears, the eighty five Bears with that Super Bowl shuffle, sweetness the Fridge or McMahon, that beautiful defense, that forty six defense, forty six to ten, but they were winning three Ryan, Buddy Ryan, they carried him off the field. Yep, carried him off the field. Yeah. I love Buddy Ryan. I like the Ryans too.
Speaker 2: I know U.
Speaker 1: I saw Rex at the Belmont when he was still the head coach of the Jets. Oh wow.
Speaker 2: And it was right after that whole foot thing, that Welker. Oh my god, we were all there.
Speaker 1: That was really funny, man, it was that was next level. It was funny. We ended up losing though, but yeah, we were.
Speaker 2: He was.
Speaker 1: He was great about it. He's a fun guy.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He seems like he has a really good sense of humor.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then his brother, I saw him, he's the same way. It's just it's such such rich in history of that family. Yeah. Really, this generation more than the the guys in the seventies and eighties. I do like seeing the guys after the game hugging each other from the opposing teams.
Speaker 1: It's basketball.
Speaker 2: I know it upsets the old school people, but these guys understand what they went through. And it's not like they're they're letting up because they're playing somebody they went to camp with or college with. They want to just for the sake of their own integrity and there and they and their egos beat them, and and so I I understand. It's like the boxers who hug at the end. Nobody understands what they went through. Like like I remember one of my favorite matches of all time was uh no Drago Balboa when when the Balboa I feel I feel he brought it was. It was gonna end, but he sped it up. He sped it up.
Speaker 1: It was more diplomacy.
Speaker 2: But that didn't hurt. What what was the line.
Speaker 1: Can change? Yes, yes, change is good. Yeah, yeah that was when of That was a really good documentary. But getting back to after the game, after the game, yes, I understand what other guys go through, and there's a there's a respect. Yeah, there's always a respect because I've been in every situation on that field, a guy trying to make the team, guy trying to earn a role, the guy that's trying to keep up his expectations that the standards that he's made for himself have been on every side of that. Sure, but before game, oh yeah, we can't talk. No no, no, no, no, no no talk No. I can only sneer at you, thank you? Yeah yeah, no one hundred after.
Speaker 2: Game all shake your hand if we win. I would if we win. Frequently, when if we lose, I used to just literally get off. Yeah yeah, frequently I would box and I would I would tell my opponent I must break you.
Speaker 1: I must break you. That wasn't me. I mean, draga, what's it?
Speaker 2: I remember this one fighter had a prediction for the fight and his prediction was pain. Yes, Lang was one of the all time heavyweights. I don't care what you say. Some people love Tyson, other people Ali, but Lang one of the all time w you see champions. Yeah, you just talking about his wife talking about Oh my god, he had to go to l A yeah and get a little get a little brother life in to get his rhythm. Yes, oh my god, I love that woman. That was one of the low key, one of the best, oh, one of the the most watchable.
Speaker 1: I mean it was one of the best fights of all time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I love the training.
Speaker 1: There is no tomorrow, Julian, there is no there is no tomorrow.
Speaker 2: You know that.
Speaker 1: That's that was And once again, like my career goes into these rocky movies.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: There's there is a time where you're doing the magazine covers, yeah, and you're you're living on cloud nine and the wrestling thunderlips thunderlips, Yes, and then all of a sudden you get hurt or something. There's something that happens, you lose your confidence and you gotta you gotta build it back. Confidence is every a big percentage of the game. How do you How do you build your confidence? It's a it's a constant struggle.
Speaker 2: But I do gain confidence by thinking of things that I initially I wasn't able to do and then do it easily without thinking. From tying your shoes to making free throws to dunking a basketball, all these things in your life that you're like, I can't do it, I can't do it, and then you don't give up. It's like that that San Antonio Spurs thing where you you hammer the stone every day and it doesn't even crack, there's no evidence, and then years later it cracks wide open and it's just like, keep pounding that rock every day. And so it's I think my confidence is that John Wooden idea, the preparation and giving it all and then what else can I What else can I do? Yeah? That pyramid of success, man, it still holds up and it was written in the fifties. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for me, I always uh, you know, as an athlete, you know you deal with confidence because you you know, especially when when you play on a team like New England because there's there's a standard. Yeah, like you know, you know, if we don't win a super Bowl, it's a failure at least when we were playing when I was, when I was on that team.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So you for me, if I would ever lose the confidence if I dropped a ball or something, you know, I didn't perform a certain way in a game, or I missed a couple of.
Speaker 2: This or that.
Speaker 1: For me, I would just always go back to the fundamentals. I would think, I hear my dad in my in my head because my dad's very frank, He's very uh very He was a very tough guy on me. You know, he's the type of guy that you know, i'd go, where are you in the birth order?
Speaker 2: I'm the middle, Okay, tough, I'm the middle. Okay.
Speaker 1: My brother was seven years older than me too. It's like a different family, different family. So he used to like just Wally Molly wop me. Wow.
Speaker 2: You know, so my sister's three years younger.
Speaker 1: But you know, he was.
Speaker 2: He was the type of guy that I'd go, I'd go work out and he'd come back and I'd.
Speaker 1: Be dying and he goes, you beat those three kids. I'm talking.
Speaker 2: I was working about myself. Dad, He doesn't you're in the NFL.
Speaker 1: Now, there's three kids in high school right now that are training and that have a picture of you on their wall. Wow, that are thinking about taking your job. Wow, they are thinking about taking your house. And I think, like, that's the kind of stuff. So I always whenever I lost my confidence, I would always just go back to fundamental work. Yeah, work my way out of it, and just try to stack good days together, you know, just you're either getting better or you're getting worse. Sure, and if you break everything down in your day to day, if you could stack five good days together and you just keep on competing with That's what I had to do for me. And I had to keep myself in a happily miserable mindset, Like I have this whole thing where we have this merch I sell. It's called happily miserable. Okay, because I was miserable, But I needed to be in that mindset.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the underdog mindset.
Speaker 1: The underdog mindset, the world's falling mindset. Like I needed that for me to hone in and keep my focus. Sure, you know, So work was always my my way to get my confidence back. And if you want to improve on something, you know, Belichick would always say this, if you want to improve, you can't just go work hard. Yeah, you can't just go run. You can't just go lift weights. Yeah you're you're working hard, but you need to find someone, a mentor coach, a person that can tell you what you need to work on.
Speaker 2: Yes, and then you work hard at that. Wow, And that's how Yeah, you know what I mean. So that's how Like that's really inspiring always. But are you able to turn it off? And are you able to one thing that I always have a hard time? Wasn't It reminds me of Bob Knight where he would I remember in that book I read The Season on the Brink, where he would yell at a player and he said, why do I want you to be a better player than you want to be? And so there are certain mindsets which are hard to be around, especially after they're they're not playing athletes, because they hold everybody to high such high expectations. And then Kyler pays for it and it's true and and you and we have to be cause I find that with my my wife sometimes because she has artistic pursuits, and I tell her how I would go about it, and she's like, stop trying to make me be you and.
Speaker 1: And let me enjoy this.
Speaker 2: It's it's it's interesting because we we have this, we have this discipline that worked for us, and and we want to impart it on people.
Speaker 1: But it can be very off putting. I talked to my dad about that all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, because I have like small businesses and you're managing people, and and I go to the factor of like how I was managed, Yeah, for twelve years of my life, right, and it was so successful beyond dreams, beyond dreams. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I was never told the things I did well I was expected to, right, I was only told the things I needed to work on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know. And I and my dad's actually he's he's very similar to me. He's small business owners, so he's had a lot of experience with people.
Speaker 1: Was he athletic.
Speaker 2: He was, but his dad.
Speaker 1: Died when he was three, and his mom, you know, she was in and out of marriages. He grew up in a trailer park, so he became a mechanic. At fourteen. He had to help wow, help help out my mom, wow, Grandma. So he always talks me, you know, he always kind of lets me know that you can't live like what you're saying. You can't. You have to turn that off. Yes, yeah, you know what I mean. And it's and it's hard for me because I'm still transitioning, yeah, from something I've been doing for two decades, three decades, yeah.
Speaker 2: You know. And it's been like that since I was eight years old. Yeah, and it's changed when you get to be a professional and then it's all football.
Speaker 1: You don't have school anymore. You have football school, you know. Yeah. So like I mean, that's it's a part of life, is learning what you have to do to improve. And my dad's a good person that helps him with that. But I definitely need to be able to turn it off, sure, you know. And when you have a kid, it helps you with that, you know. My dad was a hard ass. My dad was very tough on me because that's what dads were like back and he didn't have any he didn't have anyone. Yeah, who would have trained him? Yeah, you know so, but he's now the complete opposite now now he's the softy. Are you hungry your grandfather? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Do you need anything. That's so nice.
Speaker 1: Oh look, let me let me rub your feet, like literally, that's great.
Speaker 2: So wow. I mean the pride he must have though, Well, it was a.
Speaker 1: Team effort my mom as well. You know, she's a stubborn little lady.
Speaker 2: But that's a special thing for mead to have a son who els areas. Yeah. My dad, uh, he was a huge part of it. Sure, no, I know, yeah.
Speaker 1: My dad's kind of like a Jewish mother.
Speaker 2: That's so cool.
Speaker 1: Literally, that's great. You know, nothing's ever good enough, but he's always comforting me.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh that's so nice. Oh my gosh. But in the same twisted kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, Oh that's interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was watching your stand up. Your mom cracks me up. Oh thanks man. Yeah, she's she's just quite hard. She really is a sweetheart's quite depression. Yeah, he's smiles the whole Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah. She didn't never met a happier kid. Yeah. And then I held up this book called The Lonely Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: The Lonely Trade. She's just the level of denial.
Speaker 2: But nobody understood back then, nobody knew so I I yeah, it's a product of that generation. Yes, exactly exactly, and we didn't have that relationship with our parents like kids do today where they can go to them and say, listen, I feel this way. If you were bullied, you kept that to yourself unless there was something you could do about it. So yeah, yeah, or try to figure out a way to solve these things by yourself, because they were working so hard, especially as single mom is is just this interesting warrior in America that or on the planet that they just have to have to get by and they don't have a lot of time for nonsense.
Speaker 1: So that's when my dad always tells me when.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Dad, I'm stressed out. You know a lot of shit going on. Yeah, you don't know what stresses I know, I go, what what are you talking about?
Speaker 1: Dad? I got you know, a lot of shit going Yeah, you know what stresses. It's when you have three deaf kids, fifty dollars in your bank account with two hundred dollars in bills. Wow, that's who my grandma was. My dad has three deaf brothers and sisters. Oh I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So and he's like significantly younger, but yeah, you know, he goes that's stress, and that's a single. Mom.
Speaker 2: Is your grandmother still alive? No, she passed, all right, Mary, Mary, God love her. She was the best.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's get back to the old football then. Yeah, she had a tear over here and thinking about grandma.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have one quick question, and I think one of your specials you mentioned your mom would go to a dentistry school to get her teeth done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's my newest special.
Speaker 3: Does that be you?
Speaker 1: The Boston University School of Dentistry.
Speaker 3: My grandma did the same thing.
Speaker 2: Really, Oh my gosh, that's incredible.
Speaker 1: And it was a nightmare.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. Yeah, teeth were these poor people couldn't afford dentistry. So our family, my mom had a lot of dental work. She would go to a school that had a school of university that had a school of dentistry, and these kids would take their mid terms, but it was my mother's my mother's bridge work and her and her molars and things, and they they weren't competent and she would be in great pain. And and that's what we had to do. Was really I feel for her, man, it was. And the other thing was we would have to drive into Boston, which was poor people have cars that don't work, so sometimes we break down. Would just be on the side of the road waiting for a triple A to come, and it was just, oh man, it was a it was a nightmare.
Speaker 1: That was before the big dig.
Speaker 2: We'd go over this thing called thest the Mystic, the Mystic River bridge, which everybody would call the Mystic River.
Speaker 1: We're going over the Mystic River and and I was like, who is this, mister river?
Speaker 2: And she was a Mystic river? The river We're driving over it to go into Boston. And you had to save up money to pay for parking. I remember that was part of it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: They on the pike when I was there. Yeah, the traffic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and these four people who worked in the tobos were just miss miserable. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: But there's sweaters though, that Mass Pike sweater I love.
Speaker 2: I did love those. Oh my gosh, I would love one of those.
Speaker 1: Amazing.
Speaker 2: Tyler is an absolute delight, the whole staff here.
Speaker 1: I really enjoy you people, We enjoy you.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I really appreci I was hoping I was doing.
Speaker 1: A good job. Now you're doing killing it all right. Dann Marino the best to never win a Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Who else are we thinking about in terms of I've got some names, Sanders, Barry, Sanders, Moss. Yeah, maybe the greatest quarterback to never won a Super Bowl?
Speaker 1: Is that possible? Although Jim Kelly was great, but he was better than Jim Kelly.
Speaker 2: Jim Kelly was. Man, That's that's a sad story. I know it's heartbreaking.
Speaker 3: I thought you're gonna say the cancer.
Speaker 1: Yeah that too, that too, I probably take the dip out of my lip.
Speaker 3: Also Junior, se Bruce Smith, Ladanyan Thomas, and philp Rivers. I forgot I played with you. He was a very special person.
Speaker 2: He was the nicest guy in the world. Yes, Like I remember he We were at Capitol Grill.
Speaker 1: My parents just came in. We were about to play in a playoff game, and I was taking him out to dinner on a Friday. This is in December maybe January, so it's freezing outside. Yeah, Junior rolls up in flip flops, shorts and he always wore this hat and his ukulelely on his back.
Speaker 2: Seriously serious because he used to be the Capitol girl. Every you know.
Speaker 1: That was his flip flops. Flip flops but Hawaiian.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he grew up in the tropics and he wasn't bothered by the mountains.
Speaker 1: This dud was the most manly man ever. Wow, manly man but soft hearted too. Yes, that's the way he came off. And he and he went up to my parents and we grew up in the Bay Area. There's a lot of Polynesian culture, so I grew up with a lot of Tongueans, a lot of Samoans, a lot of Hawaiians like that was part of my football team and my football life. Oh that's cool. So Junior sayou was a god like in California. Sure, because he was on the Chargers. He did, you know, the whole was a usc guy too, you sc guy. And you know I got to play with him.
Speaker 2: And he came up to my parents and he and he and he goes, mister and mister Edelman.
Speaker 1: I just want to say, you raised a very great young man play a long time in this league. And this was when I was a rookie and I was still wow. Yeah, it's incredible to have Junior say out come and my dad, you know, he's all shy and stuff like, yeah, watch this guy for a long time. This was his twentieth year in the league. Yeah, by the time I was playing with them. But I remember you stood out in the preseason. You were very promising link financial that was that was a big game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it was Tom's first game back from the a c L. That's right.
Speaker 1: Wes wasn't playing, That's right, My first game in the NFL. My word, any nerves, Oh so nice. I was very nervous. I was a very nervous. Yeah, because I cared so much, of course.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know you get yeah, and so much was was you were so invested.
Speaker 1: So invested, and yeah, especially in that you know, you're playing for your job. Yeah, seventh round draft pick. Yeah, first preseason game. Yeah, well, didn't play, so they started me and they told me like right before the game. So it was kind of like it they test you psychologically. I want to see if you can. Yeah, you know, Kenny handle that we're gonna tell him twenty minutes before the game that he's gonna have to you know, because a lot of guys can't and they want to see it in the preseason of course, you know.
Speaker 2: And first play it was a kickoff.
Speaker 1: I went down, I made a tackle and they put me on a kickoff that day went made a tackle. Then the first punt return I took to the house, and then the first play.
Speaker 2: Did you think you were dreaming? I did, right, because I have I still have dreams where I where I score touchdowns that and to do that on that level because it's more competitive, my word, I can't imagine.
Speaker 1: You don't really know either when you're in camp. Yeah, there's a lot of thud. You're not taking to the ground. It's not like college or you know.
Speaker 6: A hit.
Speaker 2: But if Hard Knocks has show on us anything, it's that you might get cut even after having an incredible game. Yeah wow, yeah, all right, continue, I'm sorry, no, but it was just you score that and then you run back that the touchdown, and then.
Speaker 1: It was Brady's first game, so everyone was kind of like very nervous because you know, the knee thing. Yeah, and every like everyone's kind of on eggshells. Bill wanted to see our how we were playing, They wanted he wanted to see how Tommy was psychologically, because when you go through injury, that first live contact, when you're getting real bullets, it's different. You know, sometimes you you don't want to.
Speaker 2: Stick your foot and you know there's a lot of it goes back to the eye of the tiger.
Speaker 1: The tiger first play gives me the swing route. He throws me a little swing. I caught his first ball. I'm like, this is awesome, this is easy.
Speaker 2: Really. I ended up having a bunch of catches, and you know, I had a good game. And next week there is something to the ignorance of the brand new right where you don't know it.
Speaker 1: You know, next week it's against Atlanta and I'm still like on the verge of making the team like a house to punt. And I had a lot of production in the first game. I had a tackle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like we had like Randy Moss Wes Welker trying to galloway like there's.
Speaker 1: A numbers, but how many gays are on the team. Yeah. And so the next week I go and I'm returning to punt and I shake off a guy and another guy comes in and he my foot gets caught and I sprained my ink. I get a high end sprain. The worst first play the first play that I got in and I was out for three weeks. And now it's during cut, Yeah, and I'm sitting there stressed out, like I don't know if I had enough. You know, it's short term memory with guy. That was four weeks. Yeah, next up. And you know, Billy O'Brien was our o C at the time. I knew him in high school. You know, did you he went to Saint John's Prep.
Speaker 2: How was he? Can I tell the truth? Yes, he was an arrogant prick. He's an arrogant prick in high school. I mean, billios a fiery guy. I just he went Here's the thing. I went to the public school. He went to the private school same times preps. So I resented him to begin with, and then when he wasn't friendly to me, I was like, fuck this guy.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, he can come on. We used to call him te Kettle.
Speaker 2: But I knew his wife in college. I was friends with Colleen, who was the sweetest woman. So I'm I'm talking about how he was in high school, which a lot of football players are high school so I'm sure he changed. But what was it? Okay, all right, he's like that ass while you like, yeah, yeah, no, of course, of course I will say this. I respected him, and I knew how hard he worked as a as a player because he went to Brown. Yeah, and then he was a smart guy and he was serious. So I liked that, but I I just I don't know. It's probably two uh teenage two teenage boys who were like yeah, yeah, but we had a mutual friend who played with me at Bosson in college that this guy Mike Panos, who I don't know if you are, if you met him, you'd remember him. He's very charming. Anyhow, So you're in camp and oh, yeah, a three week injury.
Speaker 1: And he comes up to me, and the whole week of because cut day is there's a Friday, and then there's a week off. Yeah, where you establish a team and it's like the turks in there just taking lives, you know, which wants to see you get your playbook, you know that. Like you're sitting in the locker room and guys are just getting plucked. Of course, so you know, Billy Owould was messing with me like, hey, her Buffalo's got a good third corner, meaning like I was making the team, yeah, but I don't know if you're making the team yet. And I was sitting there like I'm like a little kid twenty two years old. Yeah, And finally I went home and I was sitting there by my phone the whole time, because they'll still call you when you go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they never got the call. Amazing, So how did you find out that just by kno getting a call, that's the worst. That's how that's worse. Yeah, at least call me tell me making it totally. No, they don't. Wow, you just come in and you just was there anybody who was the opposite of that, who was saying keep doing what you're doing. I remember my friend Mike Power was in the Houston Oilers and Warren Moon took him under his wing and said, you keep making those out passes because nobody else can make those ones the sideline from the pocket, and you keep making those, you're going to stand out. And so he made it very far in the in the cuts. But was there anybody who was like that?
Speaker 1: Fred Taylor really or Fred Taylor? Yeah, of course. So I didn't have a car yet. You know there'd be a for training camp, there'd be a six o'clock bus you could take from the team hotel Okay to the stadium. And so I'm sitting on my on the curb waiting for the bus and Freddie t rolled out and he has a cool old like dope car. He's like, yo, a young buck, come with me nice and he brings me in there and you can see he could see that I'm straight because it's such day to day. There was two practices a day when I first started, you have double days. You had run game in the morning passing the afternoon. So you have like two practices that you're thinking about going into the next day, you know, because you have to correct everything. Am I gonna get cut? I didn't make that block, I didn't make that this. Yeah, So he could see that I was going through my head. I was, you know, And he's in a different part of his career where you know, listen is he's on the back nine. He's already a superstar. And he gets me in the car and he goes, hey, young buck, there's a lot of ups, there's a lot of downs. You just gotta be smoon, You'll be all right. Wow, it's all he said. He's a very very made a few words. Yeah that's all he said. And then we sat and he started taking me to practice a bunch and you know, but that's what I thought about, like, all right, I don't get too high on the highs, don't get too low on the low, Yes, is kind of.
Speaker 2: But but there's something about somebody with your personality and drive and humility that people want to look out for because you're that makes for a good teammate and and for a good person in the locker room to hang around with somebody who's not going to be an ego and and so that's a that's a really great lesson. And you want to be that. You want to be the for the rest of your life. You want to be the Fred Taylor to somebody's Julian Adaman.
Speaker 1: Well and that and that's you know, there were other players on the team, you know that weren't like that, sure, because you know this is.
Speaker 2: Blood, blood work. No, of course there's guys there like, hey, you're here to take a spot. Yeah, that wouldn't help.
Speaker 1: And yeah, that's once I got to where I was at and I and I established a role and had some success, I'd always be tough with the young guys because that was when I got there. Everyone the whole Patriot way was like making guys accountable, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course you're doing them a favor.
Speaker 1: You see, you see Teddy Bruski working his dick off, and if you're not. He's going to tell you you're not. Wow. If you hear that from him, you're gonna be humiliated the whole day. Wow, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: So, like, yeah, I would handle it where I would call guys out, but I would always pull him the side, like Jacobe Myers, like he would always have.
Speaker 1: He was you know, he was a young player. You know, he was an undrafted guy and I saw that he could play. Yeah, he just needed you know. Like, so I would always bring him the side, and I'm like, yo, yeah, don't worry about that they're bitching on this. You just gotta do this, you know what I mean, because you know what he's going through. But if there's some little arrogant asshole, yeah, of course, yeah. You know there was a few of those, right say, bro, yeah, coach, don't ask you a question, don't fucking talk in the room.
Speaker 2: Wow, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Let us get our work in yea, because there's some guys that are trying to be hands up coach. Yeah, you know, like you do that, you're kind of showing off the other rookie that probably doesn't know what's going on, calling out to me. You're doing good. Because he ain't doing Oh wow, there's a whole dynamic in Yes, yeah, that's fascinating. Anyone take you under your wing during comedy?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, there were there were so many, so many older guys and and even now, I mean, i've he's not that much older than me. But but jud Apatow has been such a great mentoring guide. I remember after my special airity called me up and he said, you're feeling hungover right now, like like let down and what else is there? And he said, Uh, you can get right out there and try to do even better and chase that high all over again.
Speaker 1: But it's a.
Speaker 2: Treadmill that you'll never get off of the only thing that we really have that's real is is our friends and our colleagues in this and our families and and chasing after fame and and that lifestyle is is a dead end. And I remember that was so helpful because I I didn't think there was anybody else who could have said that, you're feeling off after some things so great happening on HBO and the premiere and all the promotion that you do in the interviews, and somebody saying and you don't feel that good, right now when everybody's telling you should feel so good, that's normal, and don't try to feel good right away. You don't have to outdo yourself. You just have to continue to do whatever you do to get out of bed and work hard every day. But you don't have to to please the world. And and sort of there's this thing with with fame, and I have friends who are who are involved in just having to stoke that fire all the time and keeping the public eye and it's relentless, and it's it's you have to have a really strong head on your shoulders to be able to maintain your integrity and your personality through that. And I've heard it compared to looking straight into I think Tom Hanks said, fame, you don't want to look at right.
Speaker 1: In the eye, like like the sun. It can burn damage you.
Speaker 2: And I remember this this author that like John Updyke, said that this this fame is this mask that changes your face or burns your face or something like that.
Speaker 1: And it's a yeah, it's it's it's.
Speaker 2: A double edged sworded it affords us these incredible opportunities, but it can also be poisonous. It can be and I can I can relate to that from when you know we.
Speaker 1: Go out when Super Bowls. Yeah, like my close group around me. Yeah, like I you know, you have your people that or that see the real you always because you know when you go when when you're a person under a microscope, you're you're having to be on always. Yeah, especially when you leave the house for anyone you're at the gas station and ask you this. But I would get into these like we would call it the super Bowl saddies, Oh wow, because you go all year yeah, and for that one goal, and you would achieve that goal and like you're already thinking about the next year, how much harder it's going to be to a team that goal again because whenever you have success, now you're America's most wanted. Yeah, they're going to play their hardest. There's a lot more studying going into your game. The people are watching you more, you know, they want to see, right, if you could do the you know. So yeah, there's those expectations and those standards that you know you're sitting there like, man, fuck, we gotta do it again now, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: And there are only three or four people on the planet who understand how you're feeling. You can't go to just anybody and say I won the super Bowl last week, I'm kind of feeling kind of glum.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's true.
Speaker 2: Yeah wow.
Speaker 1: And then you feel bad because you're not happy because you just went of course, yeah, there's guilty, bad because am I just a miserable fuck?
Speaker 2: No, no, not at all. You're you're you're a human being.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Gary, do you think if you played football in like now generation that you would have? Of course, worts in general would have kind of stuck with it further, like with how people in mental health is a little bit more open. Oh it's sports now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's interesting, It's it's possible.
Speaker 2: The only thing is that I think that in order for me to have succeeded, I needed to get that confidence that Julian was talking about earlier. And and that was a big What was interesting was when I stopped playing football and went to the coach, he insisted that I that I stick it out, and I was like, but I'm like the worst player on the on the team. But there's something to depression that is that is telling you you the worst player on the on the team, and and and so with without that aspect, the confidence and and physically I was I could jump and jump higher, run faster than everyone at the tight end position. But mentally I felt like a like a grasshopper. I was that I was, that I was incompetent, I was incapable, and I would get overwhelmed and I would I would one of the things. I don't know if this ever happened to you, but I would get to the line of scrimmage knowing that the snap count and then fuck.
Speaker 1: It up because I was so I was so.
Speaker 2: Anxious and we'd have to run and everybody and I was like, look at me, I'm I'm incoonfident and it just it builds on itself, and I think so.
Speaker 1: So it's it's.
Speaker 2: Possible that there's a that there's a universe where I was able to get my confidence back and feel that way. But I don't.
Speaker 1: I think it was more likely.
Speaker 2: That I that I made an informed decision.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I still have I still have dreams about it.
Speaker 2: It's funny, at fifty three, I still have dreams about things that happened when I was eighteen or nineteen years old, and they have better results.
Speaker 1: No, it's it's a different generation. There's it's I worked with a sports therapist when I was.
Speaker 2: That was like an in its infancy when I was when I was playing, and I did have a really good therapist at the college who had worked with the other athletes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it was it was literally a lifesaver. I used to work with I think someone in college and then I you know, and then I was having some stuff going off the field that was starting to like mess with my game, you know what I mean, like as you're thinking about So then that's when I started seeing a therapist in Providence. I go over this that like the oldest war in the country, what's it called? That one over in Providence. But there's scary every time I went because it's really dark. But I go see my doc over there, and and it helped. It helped me because it just allowed me to you know, open up and it was very in it. It was an infancy in the league. At that time. I was the only guy in the team doing it.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Now it's you know, there's a lot of a lot more resources because the information, you know, So you know, I I needed someone to help me. You know, even I come off sometimes as a confidence strong like everyone needs someone no, of course know, and it doesn't have a therapist. Could be a friend, but it just got to be someone bounce for a long time. I'm sure your father was part of that, was my Yeah, yeah, that was my dad. Yeah, it was just different practices.
Speaker 3: Well, you and your dad talked to a rabbi weekly now too, Yeah.
Speaker 1: We sweet around. What's your rabbi name, Rabbi Hamilton. Oh, what a great Hollywood.
Speaker 2: Hamilton.
Speaker 1: That's that's amazing, Boston.
Speaker 2: I have a very close friend who's a who's a rabbi, and and man, I can talk to them for hours. Right, They're just they know everything and and they're also so informed about other religions and philosophies and history and and and it's really they're really special people and resources for great for great wisdom.
Speaker 1: Great wisdom and and you know, great perspective. Yes, yes, we always we study the Torah and we'll take little he'll have his little you know, his passage is and we're going over each week and.
Speaker 2: Educate each other. But he'd be able to break it down. That's wonderful. What a great time in life to explore that, because for me it was from the time I was eight until thirteen. Yeah, and I couldn't appreciate what I was being given. I mean I did enjoy a lot of the a lot of the history lessons, and a lot of the the the rituals and things like that, but also I wanted to look out the window and be outside a lot during Hebrew School. But I think it's it's so incredibly valuable to have to have the lessons in faith at this point in our lives, definitely when we're grappling with especially as a dad. Yes, as a kid, yeah, totally, totally. So many things were playing when I was a kid. It was Atari Atari twenty six hundred. I saw your bit, you know, kids playing sports, your compete with the best video games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, well that was the nineteen eighty five AFC Championship game.
Speaker 2: We were here to talk about something.
Speaker 1: I can't remember what it was.
Speaker 2: No, oh, you know, this just gives us an excuse we wanted to explore you. Come on, I really appreciate that, man, This is uh. I was so looking forward to this. I didn't I didn't want a fanboy out or anything like that.
Speaker 1: But you've brought me so much.
Speaker 2: Joy over the over the years, and we're such a refreshing personality on in New England sports. And I've every interview i've seen you you give. And when I was a guest of a friend who was on the Seth Meyers Show and it was right after the one of the biggest moments of your life, and you were just so humble and took a picture with me, and I remember thinking, this is a really real guy, and a nice guy and a humble guy who is very very compelling in terms of your personality and the way you came off with Seth and everything like that. You're You're very.
Speaker 1: Lovable now you I appreciate that. Okay, Well, hopefully you can take it in.
Speaker 2: I know it's hard for men to appreciate compliments from other men, but nah, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know you that very that much. And here you could tell you have a very contagious You're warm. Oh I am, I am. I am a war I'm a warm I'm a warm, sensitive person.
Speaker 3: So very kind eyes we are.
Speaker 2: I do have very kind eye Kyler.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, you guys are great. Did we miss anything?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we got a couple of stuff for corrections. I'd be remiss if we don't talk about Tony Franklin, the Barefoot Cooker that this also, Julian, you mentioned the Red Sox won the World Series in two thousand and three was actually two thousand and four.
Speaker 2: Four.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Barry Sanders won his Heisman nineteen eighty eight and then Tony Easton he finished second Heisman voting. He lost to Michigan's Anthony Carter and he earned the nickname Champagne Tony because he did play for the University of Illinois and then also Dancing with the Stars. Winners we had at Smith, Donald Driver, Heinz Ward, and Rashad Jennings.
Speaker 2: Jerry didn't get one. Did Jerry not win?
Speaker 3: I don't get Jerry one?
Speaker 1: He was good though, Wow, he cut the rug.
Speaker 2: He could really.
Speaker 3: Move and then one more. In the nineteen seventy six Patriots, you mentioned when eleven and three and lost twenty four to twenty one to the Raiders in the divisional round. It was a bad rough in the passer call in the Pats against Kenny Stabler on a third and eighteen that was panned as a bad call. Yeah, It's become known as the Ben Dreff game.
Speaker 1: That was the ref right, Oh shit, when wait, we say it again, what the ref game?
Speaker 3: That's the It's called the Ben Dreff game? Who was the ref? Because the Patriots lost because of a bad rough in the passer in what year? Nineteen seventy six?
Speaker 1: It would he murder him?
Speaker 2: Probably?
Speaker 1: How do you get a rough in the passer? Like I've seen some of those hits.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those hits were not Yeah, nineteen seventies Sad Jack Lambert and no teeth, Oh my gosh, four army.
Speaker 1: People, it was awesome. Man, my school, oh.
Speaker 2: Wow, and sort of Thermon monson right, I think so, yeah, and Billy Crystal.
Speaker 1: Billy Crystal, Drew Carrey, Nick I didn't know that, Nick Saban, Nick Sabanu holds, Lou holds Wow. Michael Keaton, we have that. The National Guard. They were there May fourth, nineteen seventy They were definitely there Rough one. They used to be the biggest party day though really it was like a we used to celebrate it. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I could see that. Chermania they called it.
Speaker 2: Oh because there was a stirt called street called Sherman Street, Wow, Germany on May fourth, Wow, Kent State Golden Flashes. So you just you just wrote your book a memoir. Yeah, it's a memoir of kindergarten through twelfth grade, and but includes a nice chapter on Hebrew School, does it. Yeah? I thought that I think you would you would find very very funny because my intention is that Hebrew School and then Jewish Summer Camp is this opportunity for Jewish boys to be around Jewish girls without gentile boys, uh competing for the gloves. So that Yeah, so it's like we were the Jewish boys were able to stand out a little bit and get get run the bases a little bit easier.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you get a load loaded deck.
Speaker 3: I got one last point too, on the point. So I had the pleasure of screening uh, your special that's streaming now on on that when we release it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, no, and uh, I can play that game.
Speaker 3: You talk a lot about the lack of Jewish hockey players in the Hall of Fame, and as a hockey player myself and a general well wisher of the Jewish people, I'd be remiss if I didn't call out some amazing young Jews that are playing in the NHL right now.
Speaker 2: No, I agree, but I will say that I was. I was talking in nineteen seventy eight. Now they're the Hughes brother.
Speaker 3: Hughes brother, Yeah, really special, and Adam Fox won yes, and Adam five.
Speaker 2: These guys will probably make the Hall of Fame and make my joke dated. But I was talking in nineteen seventy eight to my dad, and I was playing hockey, and he said, let's let's see how many Jewish players there are in the Hockey Hall of Fame, because you know, as a Jew, we really cling to the athletes who stand out, the Sandy Cofaxes and the Hank Greenberg's and the Julian Edelmans and the Dolph Chases.
Speaker 1: And so my dad said.
Speaker 2: Okay, there is zero Jewish players in the Hockey Hall of Fami. He said, just for a point of comparison, Garre, more Jews have been the Messiah than have made the Hockey Hall of Fame. He said, You're more likely to walk on water than you are to skate on it holding the Stanley Cup.
Speaker 1: So we know where you got your comedic.
Speaker 2: My dad was telling me Dad, my dad was very good joke. It was a good joke. My dad was a very good laugher also, which it which helped my dad. I think nobody would be more prouder of me.
Speaker 1: Than my than my dad. Phil Bellman was a really special guy.
Speaker 2: He was very kind, affectionate, generous man who really believed in his son.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it sounds like sounds like a bench.
Speaker 2: He was really a mens Yes, the true definition of a mensch. Yeah, well yeah, I was really loved dad son. Yeah talk, Yeah, I got a good dead. Now we got a segment.
Speaker 1: Let's segue this bad boy to the scoring. The game presented by win Bet. The name of the game is Squished the Fish. We go through and we grade the steak Star power gameplay name, and we total up, we get the average and we see where it ranks within the games that we've done already. Gary, Okay, so the stakes of this game, this is to go to the super Bowl. Zero to ten decimals? All right, what do you think we.
Speaker 2: Should give this?
Speaker 1: I think it's an eight point eight eight point eight. Yeah, it's a very fair See that's another thing that I felt about you. You're a fair man. Yeah. This is a team that never made the super Bowl and had never.
Speaker 2: Won in this stadium in eighteen years. That's that's a generation, I think in some cultures. Yeah, that. That's a very honest answer. Great answer, because we did have potentially maybe our next president come on here and just start screwing up all the scores.
Speaker 1: Mark Cuban, we had him, Oh wow, you know he's running right now? Is he running? That's what that's what it says.
Speaker 3: I'd watch the spinoff series.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he went on put everything ten and ruined the whole scoring program.
Speaker 2: So so back to star Power was his game MAVs Heat Game five. Okay, that was a great game, Dirk.
Speaker 1: Katie, Dirk second half star power in this game though, Gary, all right, So we had Dan, Andre Tippott.
Speaker 3: And Tippett Sula kind of down the middle. We've done Pro Bowls like, you know, five Hall of Famers a part of this game, right.
Speaker 6: I was.
Speaker 2: I mean you had hand him, but he didn't have that star. I mean it's probably a seventy two point two very very very very fair scoring here. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And gameplay, gameplay, I mean, the running game was it was extraordinary, I think for the for the Patriots. Marino obviously had a bad game throwing, so I I mean I'll give it overall in eight point zero.
Speaker 2: Eight point zero and the name Squish the fish. Well, I mean in terms of accuracy, it has no accuracy. But what rhymes with with mammal? That would or or uh camels.
Speaker 1: It's a verb. We would need a verb to do to the to the trample of the mammal. But that doesn't rhyme, that's not a that's maybe a slant.
Speaker 2: Rhyme, but that that would have never taken off. But squish the fish is very memorable. And the image image Patriot destroying the dolphin, which is I mean, kind of a hate crime when you think of how lovely the dolphin community is and and but so.
Speaker 1: One of the animals that have said for fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm gonna I'm gonna give it an eight point seven for the name.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what is our total? Eight point one seven five? Where does it stand in the games?
Speaker 3: It fits between the twenty eleven AFC Division around they can't Wait game, Jets Patriots, we did with Rich Eisen and the two thousand and seven Fiesta Ball thattually Big Game with Boise State, Oklahoma and the Super Bowl twenty seven. Company is a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Love Isisen? Yeah? Julian, who is the like your closest longest friend, Like do you have any friends you were friends with in grade school. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my boy Kurt oh Man moves out here. You went out he actually he got he took a job in Boston. So like my first seven years there, I was away from all, you know, everyone out here and there he moved out there. I know he's back in all. Had a blast. Yeah, he was a and we we became friends that my mom was babysitting his older sister, you know, before we were born. We became friends like that, especial.
Speaker 2: It's great when you have I have a friend, my friend Jason her which has been friends a sixth grade and and we have these like setups to jokes forty five years old. He'll just say it name, look at somebody who looks like somebody we haven't seen.
Speaker 1: Language. You guys have a language.
Speaker 2: You have a language. Yes, that's the exact right way to put it. And it's so I'm so grateful.
Speaker 1: I'm in a text group with like seven eight of my friends from high school. Oh really, that's awesome. Yeah, it's we stayed pretty connected. It's a great feeling.
Speaker 2: And then also you know our generation, I play video games here and there, and that's another way for us to right on and yeah, gets at the headsets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh that's really cool. You know I stayed close with those guys.
Speaker 2: You know, it's great to hear.
Speaker 1: Now all your friends are your your kids friends, right so oh yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I've heard about that. Yeah, hold back until you Yeah we miss anything? Do we miss anything? No, we didn't miss anything. I think I got it.
Speaker 2: I got across my admiration for Julian, and you lived up to every expectation I had in terms of your hand, your hang, hangout.
Speaker 1: Ability, and you're the real deal man.
Speaker 2: So don't sure you, man, I do love that plug Born on Third Base is now streaming on Max. And then my book Misfit. This is this is great. This is a great. This is an excellent podcast. I'm so honored and grateful to you had me on.
Speaker 1: So so you.
Speaker 2: Say thank you Gary, I say thank you. Julian Kyler. Yeah, Leah, sorry Lea, how.
Speaker 1: Do I forget the princess?
Speaker 2: Leah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you, thank you, thank you. Well that was that was a good episode.
Speaker 4: I wasn't there for the interview, but man, y'all killed it. You know, kind of met his new best friend. They were these guys hit it all.
Speaker 2: A little bit of a fan Gary, I feel like my heart got warmer. It's very kind, nice guy. I feel like I just got shot in the heart with careness. I don't know, man, I you know, he he kept on giving me the eyes of like he didn't want to get I've seen his act. I've seen his act. Okay, we all know Gary Goleman. Okay, you know he's the self defeat. I saw that, and he he like didn't want to turn it on for me.
Speaker 3: Oh man, he wanted to be strong, he.
Speaker 1: Wanted me, but then it made me vulnerable.
Speaker 4: Low key therapy session for a few minutes.
Speaker 1: I felt like the vulnerability clicked together. I loved it. And as you know, we have the hot line up and running four two four two nine one two two nine zero hit me on the what is it? What's the Drake hot likely?
Speaker 4: And then there's also Pretty Ricky, a lesser known one that was a hotline. Remember that one, Pretty Ricky, Reggae Ricky and.
Speaker 2: This week.
Speaker 1: Pretty Ricky. This week we are checking our messages for suggestions on what you all think we should name the studio.
Speaker 4: We're casting a wide net here you can comment ig Twitter, YouTube, everywhere to call in of course, TikTok anywhere. I'm scouring the comments. So first and foremost, we'll kick this off with some suggestions from the comment section. First, we got the Gladiator Studio from r D six Hawkladiator.
Speaker 1: I just that just brought me back to like day Ball walking down the hallway. He always try to get you the DS nuts comment. Day Ball was a D nuts guy full DSE nuts. Wow, I'm even more preparing for the AFC Championship. I'm not trying to talk about these nuts. And then Long would get up and he was also he'd be like, hey, you heard about Jamal. I'm like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 2: Who? Jamal? Who? Jim Olden is caking your mouth?
Speaker 4: Dude, I can't even go to Wendy's anymore with the boys. Oh you like Wendy's Wendy's nuts in your mouth?
Speaker 1: You know I would have heard. I've heard them all. What was another whatever, let's keep going on.
Speaker 4: Then glad the ed old Den from Buck Hancho that was in the YouTube comments. I like that, that's got a good ring to it. Yeah, we got the Film Room from Cole Miller three nine three four. Yeah, a little down the middle, straight line. But we do watch film in here.
Speaker 7: This film room, the house of jewels. House of Jewels is solid. That could almost just be I could apply to the the entire just little seven to one one zero, shout out little.
Speaker 4: I like that one.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 1: It's kind of good.
Speaker 4: This bitpit is pretty good. From from Climba one point five clambers.
Speaker 3: Plan this explain the spit pit to me, like we're spitting? What's happening here?
Speaker 4: I think we're dipping baby, Oh we're dipping and spitting baby.
Speaker 3: There we go.
Speaker 1: Hey, we do not recommend this for any.
Speaker 2: Of our users. This is a terrible habit. This is a pd PSD or yourself as a school special babysd.
Speaker 1: This is a p s at on not picking up bad habits. So all you kids out there, this is bubble gum.
Speaker 4: And then we Kyler and I I think all of us are in the room. Gotta gotta put our brains together, and uh the broajouts the bro joe. That's that's been used when uh Dola Dola's he used to.
Speaker 1: Call the ping pong room downstairs of his house. That was like unfinished. We've already talked about this, I think on this podcast. But it was unfinished, and I kid you not. There was probably three hundred tens of Copenhagen thrown out above gum bubble gum, and we.
Speaker 2: Would just that was the real spit pit. We'd be spitting because it was under it was unfinished. It was all cement. It was like we were in Russia, the best spitting on the walls, sweat, a little freaking bows, fucking.
Speaker 4: Speaker feet just sticking to the floor.
Speaker 1: No, we were sliding cement with like yeah, it was it was a little plays.
Speaker 2: It was c but there was still there was so much dust and dirt that you would slide right on it, you know what I mean. It was fun.
Speaker 1: The wet's save the brojo. We'll save the bro jo.
Speaker 3: Got the game.
Speaker 4: We got the game room. I little little down down the middle, but this one from Amanas off the Judeo instead of the studio judio little polarized, kind of tight. Okay, uh the room where Jewels dominates in pool. Still have yet to get a dub off.
Speaker 2: Your brother, Yeah, but I've I'm not the dominant. If anyone's out there listening, I actually want to hire a pool coach.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm coachable. Sometimes I'm on and then sometimes I'm off. I don't know where I'm hitting it on the ball correctly or if i am some you know, like sometimes I'm dialed but he got it's too inconsistent, and I don't know my mistake from when I hit my mistake, so then I can't make a correction in my head. So pool people out there, YO, hit me up in the DMS. Need a pool coach.
Speaker 2: Is the Black Widow?
Speaker 4: As a listener, come ill, I said that last night, Black Black Widow, she rocks.
Speaker 3: But also I think the real reason this is happening because Kurt Jules's friend has been stepping his game up significant. He's been running the table.
Speaker 2: The table we split last night.
Speaker 3: Thurty boy, all right, you want to hear all right, let's hear.
Speaker 4: Something twenty four line dropping soon in Tear Designs.
Speaker 3: Guys, all right, let's let's uh, let's let's crack open some of these voices.
Speaker 1: Let's hear these voice notes.
Speaker 8: First off, Jewel, thank you for everything you've done in New England. But I see you need a name for your studio, and I think the best option for you is Edel Nuts nuthouse. So if that's an option there, you guys go with that. At least get me a shout out on air, but a jewels. Thank you for everything you've done. Man, you have been an absolute icon in New England, a god amongst men. Some will say so thank you, Julian, everything you've put on the field, everything you sacrificed for. You know, some of us just wish you were still out there trying to make our team a little bit better. But yeah, Edel Nuts Nuthouse, what you need to do?
Speaker 1: Jack, Will you stop having your friends calling.
Speaker 4: That glazing was crazy?
Speaker 3: But the real takeaway nuthouse.
Speaker 4: Nuthouse is decent. Edel Nuts Nuthouse sounds like it could be a good franchiseable restaurant too.
Speaker 1: It is kind of nuttying here.
Speaker 2: It is a lot.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you were to cut into like a middle of a nut and like you were, you know, like those old like cartoons where they go in like the brain, and like you said, I don't know which one was that. There was some I don't know regards most of it like probably in the middle of or not. Yes, yeah, that's a good one.
Speaker 4: I like that one.
Speaker 3: He didn't live one.
Speaker 4: He didn't leave one.
Speaker 1: Well, shout out to that guy that blaser. He yesked for a shout out. I can't give you a shout out here, you know.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, this is Gustal for girls about the I'm from Tekas. Gustavo's name for the studio would be the outhouse, because you're gonna talk and ship spin the ship, talking about the old ship, the new ship, every ship, all the ship. You know, fuck it. You know that's how it supposed to be. Don't when you're tired, you choulding on it, your dad or your uncle, brother son, whatever. Always it's a good place to go talk. The ship also known as the outhouse.
Speaker 4: Yeah, ou house, not bad, dude, Stava bringing the heat.
Speaker 2: The father.
Speaker 1: I like this guy.
Speaker 3: That's a that's an Internet translation transcription. Don't they're not perfect. We haven't got to a final form of AI yet.
Speaker 4: I like thinking that is that it is Gustavo's father, though this guy rocks.
Speaker 2: Who's Gustava the outhouse?
Speaker 3: I don't know, yeh, out house, it's fun.
Speaker 1: Uh Gustav isn't that the guy from Beauty and the Beast gustav gustaff all right, that's another one, Gustavo's father, good good one out.
Speaker 5: Hey jewels, big fans, man, big big fan. Appreciate it, Appreciate you a lot. Recommendation for your new studio. I mean you are a squirrel squirrel man, so I would recommend the squirrel cave like bat caves.
Speaker 1: Just a thought. Squirrel cave. I like it, squirrel cave, I like it. Squirrels one living caves.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a little a little clunky.
Speaker 1: To but hey, Batman had a cave, we're bats leaving caves.
Speaker 2: What are squirrels living trees?
Speaker 3: Treehouse?
Speaker 9: The squirrel treehouse, squirrel treehouse. The tree we do, look, it could be if you cut like, we could be in a big tree in here. Likely all this wood grain, the lights coming through.
Speaker 1: A little holes might be onto something that will gain dash Man.
Speaker 2: All right's another one, Hey fellas, love to see that we're back.
Speaker 6: Named for the studio.
Speaker 1: I feel like if we're not calling it the Hall.
Speaker 5: Of Games and we're doing ourselves as disservice here.
Speaker 2: It spilled from New Hampshire, Love your jewels.
Speaker 1: What did he say Hall of Games? I didn't wreck. I didn't hear that the Hall of Games, the Hall of Games.
Speaker 9: It's Regal, some would say to Regal, I was going to say, it's like a wing in Canton.
Speaker 1: The Hall of Games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, got the boy Watch, the boy Watch.
Speaker 3: Okay, well that's that's what we got, so some good stuff.
Speaker 2: Appreciate the calls.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's kind of whittle it down to three and maybe put a Twitter pole or instat pole. What are you thinking?
Speaker 2: Maybe five?
Speaker 1: Five?
Speaker 6: Five?
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, if it's five nuthouse.
Speaker 4: Nuthouses up there, because it's got a double meaning, because you're nutty. What did you say, edel nut nuthouse, eedel nuts nuthouse. Those would be good on T shirts. I feel like, just go nuthouse, simplify it.
Speaker 2: I like, uh, the spit pit.
Speaker 4: Spitpit's good, spit pit sneaky, sneaky good.
Speaker 3: Elden's good, edel Den. Hall of Games. You gotta give one boring straight line.
Speaker 4: We'll give them Regal the judio that's off. Yeah, we gotta give us offs in there too. All right, we'll put the Stay tuned for.
Speaker 3: The pole soon, Stay tuned for the pole. Leave comments jewels.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. I like it. I like the suggestion. Just reminds me too much. Of the family Jewels.
Speaker 4: I know we've probably heard that a million times.
Speaker 1: So may every little kid. You just think they were so funny. When I first we didn't, I'd be like, Hey, my name's Julian. People call me jewels. I'm like family jewels, Like what the fuck?
Speaker 4: God?
Speaker 1: Yeah, dude, family jewels, I'm like balls, got them?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: What an episode? Thanks again to Gary. That was a fun episode. It was awesome to get to know him a little bit. And that's been another episode of Games with Names, presented by when Bett. Remember to follow Games with Names on YouTube, Instagram, x TikTok, and snapchat. We will see you all next week, guys. Games with Names is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iheartrati