Speaker 1: It is time now for my Strawberry Letter for today, and if you need advice on relationships, dating, work, sex, parenting, and more, please submit your Strawberry Letter to Steve HARVFM and click submit Strawberry Letter.
Speaker 2: We could be reading your.
Speaker 1: Letter live on the air, just like we're going to read this one right here, right now, and you never know it could I say.
Speaker 2: It could be yours. It could be yours.
Speaker 3: Buckle up and hold on tight. We got it for you here.
Speaker 2: It is Strawberry Letter.
Speaker 1: Nephew, Thank you. Subject. I don't want her in the family. Dear Stephen Shirley. I was a coach at my son's high school before I retired. My son went to college and had a girlfriend that my wife and I loved. They dated for three years and he wanted to propose right after college, but my wife encouraged him to sow his oats a bit before settling down.
Speaker 2: I'm a romantic, so.
Speaker 1: I thought, if he was truly in love, why wait, and why risk losing her? Well, he lost her because she wanted to get married young. My son was hurt and I hated to see him like that. He immediately started hanging out with women that were the direct opposite of his ex girlfriend. I could barely hold a conversation with some of the young women, and I couldn't believe the outfits they wore on dates with our son. So fast forward to last month when he announced that he's been dating someone for about six months and he thinks she's the one. He said, she's someone from his past and they reconnected online and have fallen in love. He showed my wife and I a picture of her, and my jaw dropped. My wife thought she was very attractive with a great figure. In my mind, all I remember is her terrible reputation and all the fights she got in. I recall her getting arrested when she brought a gun to school. I know people can change, but their body counts don't. I could never tell my wife about her because it would be a bigger issue. I can't tell my son what to do with his future. But this isn't who I want to bear my grandkids. She already has two sons that her mom is raising. Do I stay out of it or talk to my son? Ooh, what a dilemma, because you want to help, but you've got to talk to your son. You have to, you know, he's going to want when he wants, regardless, but at least if things go badly, you can say to yourself, don't say this to him, but you can say to yourself that you tried to stop him from making this big mistake. And just because the first girl got away doesn't mean that's true in every situation. You can talk to your wife about what you're thinking too. I mean, your wife has her own mind and her own thoughts about these situations. Then you guys can talk to your son together. Marriage is too hard, marriage is too big of a step in life just to sit by and say nothing. The one thing I will say is don't talk badly about this girl to your son. That will only put him in protective mode and want to be with her more. And yes, you are right, people can change, and maybe she did change.
Speaker 2: But one way to find out is I tell you what. Invite her over to.
Speaker 1: Dinner, to some family gatherings, some reunions and such. Maybe invite her to church so you guys can see how she moves. And she should definitely bring her two sons so you can see what's up with them. And you want your son to see everything. You want your son to see everything on full display so he can make an informed decision as much as he can. And after you do all of this, if your son still wants to marry her, then Dad, you got to step away from this. You got to back off. He'll have to learn through life experiences. Tommy, it's a tough thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 3: I'm a parent. I got three kids. You know you always want them to make the right decisions. He had a good girlfriend, and your wife talked him out of that one basically right and told him he should go throw his oats and think about it. Has she not pushed him away from that? He might have been with this girl that was really good for him, But you, y'all help make that decision. Now. Y'all ready to make some old decisions. So y'all all in it. Whether you think you're not, let you think you from the distance doing it. Now you are in it. You are in his business and you're trying to help him make his decision. Now. Now he got somebody two babies gunpacking back in the day, and now we got to make sure this don't What are we making sure? We want to make sure this doesn't work out? Or do we want to make sure, she's a change person. But me as a father, what I would do is pull my son to the side and say, Okay, I know this girl all right, I've seen him before, I know her. Let me tell you what kind of person she was back then. I don't know if she's the same person now, So don't put any judgment on it, but at least put it in this space so he'll at least know. All right, you got to make your own decision, and you got to be happy. But I think you need to Uh. Six months is not a long time to be turning around saying Okay, we should be getting married now. I think y'all need to go. You need to encourage your son to go. Well, how about dating her another year and a half. How about making it two years before you decide that you want to marry this girl. To me, if this is my boy, I want you to be with him, I would like to see you do this for two years and then you will decide if that's the right one for you or not. Then you're gonna decide if them two boys is somebody that you want to raise, because you're gonna be in they life, So you got to you gotta have to step up already, your father, and let's make sure she ain't. She still ain't packing this gun, you know, let's make let's get a look, let's figure out that this gun is still around. She's still that kind of girl. You know, she ain't in school no more. If she take it as a gun in the car to take it to work out what we did with it, you don't know what she's anywhere. So that's my take on it. I think you should really pull your son to the side, have a man the man conversation with him and try to point him in the right direction. But the most important thing is you're letting your son know I am not telling you what to do. This is you a grown man. This is going to be at the end of the day. This is going to be your decision. But I'm your daddy and I'm not your I'm not your daddy if I don't stand here and at least give you some advice, you know, throughout the sun and say hey, let's let's let's do this a little bit longer. Six months, so how about this. Let's be engaged with another year and a half and then maybe you'll be able to decide if this is the woman for you.
Speaker 2: Yep, I agree. You got to talk to your son. All right.
Speaker 1: We'll have part two of our response to the Strawberry letter coming up at twenty three minutes after today. Strawberry letter subject is I don't want her in our family. We will hear from Junior right after this.
Speaker 3: She still got that gun.
Speaker 4: You're listening Hardy Morning Show an educase and is a transformation every day. The third Good Marshall College Fund transforms lives through scholarships and career advancement opportunities. Over a half of billion dollars has already gone back to students who needed most. We also connect companies with exceptional HBCU talent through workforce development initiatives. I am a proud HBCU graduate, and my education helped me reach my fullest potential. I'm continuing that tradition with my daughter, who will be attending in HBCU this fall. Generational excellence continues. TMCF is America's largest organization that exclusively represents the HBCU community.
Speaker 2: Join us in being part of the transformation.
Speaker 4: Applied, donate or partner with us today at TMCF dot org.
Speaker 2: All right, we're going to recap Today's Strawberry Letter.
Speaker 1: The subject is I don't want to In the family, A father wrote in he was a coach at his son's high school and his son went to college. He had a girlfriend in college. He and his wife loved this girl. They thought she was the right girl for their son, and the girl wanted to get married right away, but the wife was a little hesitant. The boy's mother was a bit hesitant because she wanted her son, you know, to get all his wildness out, you know, and so's oats and all that before he married this young lady. Well, the young lady didn't want to wait. She wanted to get married young, so she went ahead and broke off that relationship. The son was heartbroken about it, really really heartbroken. The dad hated to see his son like that, So the son immediately started hanging out with women that were the direct opposite of his ex girl. And then recently he came in and told his dad that he met someone and he thinks she is the one after only dating her for six months. Now, the dad happened to know this girl. He knew that the girl got arrested for bringing gun to school. He knew about body count I don't know how he knew all of this, maybe just by being the coach, but he knew a lot about this young lady that his son is thinking about getting engaged to and marrying, thinking she's the one.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: The wife said, simply said, she's attractive with a great figure. So the dad thinks she has a terrible reputation. And what he's asking is should he stay out of it? Oh and by the way, the girl has two sons of her own as well coming into the marriage. So the dad wants to know should he stay out of it or should he talk to his son junior.
Speaker 2: Let's just go ahead and just put this out here.
Speaker 5: Let's go ahead and just see we have lost him.
Speaker 2: He's not coming back. The sun is gone. Me and Timey don't have the power to change this man's mind.
Speaker 5: Daddy, you don't either, because what she doing to your son is what we've always seen ric opposite.
Speaker 2: I know the girl he was.
Speaker 5: With with such an angel? What did he dating the devil?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: Oh, this six is something different.
Speaker 5: Now it's oh it's crazy.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 5: Oh that rum he experienced.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she got a nice figure too.
Speaker 5: Well, she got way more experienced because she got two sons. Well, meet your new grandchildren and put your valuables up because they're coming. Mama, carry gun. I know these kids robbing. There may be six or seven, but Man Man and jos John coming. You better put your stuff up. They're talking about the mama raising the kids. Y'all fingna raise these kids too. You better you better not go to sleep before they do.
Speaker 2: What did you say their names were? You Man, Man and Jojahn. They coming. You better get your whole package.
Speaker 3: You can.
Speaker 2: You can forget that knock wanning her in the family. She in uh huh oh.
Speaker 5: Y'all got to stay with family home too, and then she find a daddy for these kids. All she gotta do.
Speaker 2: Is just keep doing what she doing. This boyfriend, marry Hunt. You talk about six months. What did you see that ring? Next week?
Speaker 5: That's coming gonna be nice next week?
Speaker 2: You don't think that's just soon?
Speaker 5: No, no, no, no, no, I think it's too so we just can't do nothing about it.
Speaker 2: Okay, Man, he's under a spell right now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that girl fined to Imma said, you know what's you know? She finally when Mama says she got a nice figure and she's beautiful.
Speaker 2: And what we love crazy.
Speaker 5: We took that gun and hit him across the head, but he said, ooh, that's love.
Speaker 2: He abused me. O got a knot on his forehead.
Speaker 5: Every time you see his something on his lip, bust. He got a bad across his nose.
Speaker 2: He always getting me and he loved it. Y'all talking about what we're gonna do.
Speaker 5: You're gonna let it in the family. You're not fixing this.
Speaker 2: This boy is gone.
Speaker 5: He had the good thing, but y'all told him he gonna sew his old Now he's sawing the oaths.
Speaker 2: Now, y'all mad, he is gone. Making up your mind. He's not coming back now. He been, he been handcuffed, he's been emptying.
Speaker 5: He's been. He been. He been arrested by her so many times he kneed handcuff. He just he just in the room, just handcuffed, Shut up, lay out.
Speaker 2: He just out there just. I mean, he just been abuse.
Speaker 5: He had everything happened to him.
Speaker 2: He been hell in the closet. He liked that.
Speaker 5: Have y'all seen Darren.
Speaker 2: We ain't seen there in three weeks. He been in the clock. I hold him captive.
Speaker 5: What you mean she ain't come in the family.
Speaker 2: What you can do. It's going there, you know you know what.
Speaker 5: She go to work and guess who's watching them?
Speaker 2: Man, Man and Judge Ellen.
Speaker 5: Something to eat and we eat.
Speaker 2: It's over what we can do for him.
Speaker 5: This girl is fine too.
Speaker 2: She know a sucking when she got one. Chief, How do I know that, Charlie? I was one.
Speaker 1: Oh wait, this is personal for you.
Speaker 2: The closet, my good girl. I found one I couldn't hand.
Speaker 5: I said, Oh, I knew when I was standing there, she was kissing me and she pulled her.
Speaker 2: Lifts back and she slapped me, and I liked it. I know her.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: Har why you guys love crazy?
Speaker 5: And I'm gonna tell you. And I gave him my checks and everything. Every time I did, I brought it all the way back to everything.
Speaker 2: Wait, you gave her your checks, Junior. I didn't know. I was young.
Speaker 4: Sure, you know.
Speaker 2: I want to tell you.
Speaker 5: I thought money would keep it. She didn't in Spinish.
Speaker 2: Hey y'all, I remember this. Yeah he knows.
Speaker 5: I remember.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you fine?
Speaker 5: Crazy to You.
Speaker 2: Couldn't tell Junior nothing time to tell me?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Why open?
Speaker 3: Wow? I'm doing everything.
Speaker 1: Post your comments on Today's Strawberry Letter at Steve Harvey FM. I'm insurrem and Facebook and check out the Strawberry Letter podcast. Throwing Your Life Heart Radio app free never sounded so good. Downloaded today coming up in forty six minutes after the hour. I think Junior has recovered since then. He'll have sports talk coming up right after this.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Steve Harvey Morning Show.