Speaker 1: I spent the last fifteen years in my life fighting like hell to make sure that I never ended up here.
Speaker 2: I'm not used to riding shotgun. You should don't want me to drive.
Speaker 3: I know, money, it feels good to get behind the wheel once in.
Speaker 4: A while, But the island pulled me back.
Speaker 2: Like an undertooe.
Speaker 3: I love that sea air.
Speaker 2: Nothing like it. Hey, I think you missed a turn.
Speaker 3: I didn't miss anything. We just have a quick drop to make first.
Speaker 2: Then, so I thought you was going to hurry to see her.
Speaker 3: All right, we'll get to her soon.
Speaker 4: I really thought I could work with the current find my way ashore.
Speaker 2: While we stopping.
Speaker 3: Because we're here at the beach.
Speaker 1: I should have known the second I tried to put up a fight, I was already dead in the water.
Speaker 2: We both were. So we're making the drop here.
Speaker 3: You could say that, Marcus, what the fuck is this due diligence. Let's gotta move on, shall we? If you'd be so kind as to lend a handy.
Speaker 2: It's okay, I'm gonna figure this out. That's what a god. I'm gonna let anything happening. Thanks, I gotta take it from here. Okay, you made your point. Just give me a chance to talk to it.
Speaker 5: I gave you that chance.
Speaker 2: And you blew it. I know I fucked up, but we ain't gotta do this. You've left me no choice.
Speaker 5: Stop.
Speaker 6: Please, I'm sorry, but this is what happens when you don't follow waters.
Speaker 5: Nicholas.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 1: A week ago, I thought I finally had a shot at getting free of this place once and for all.
Speaker 2: But a week ago.
Speaker 4: I hadn't met her.
Speaker 8: Underwater episode one the first night.
Speaker 2: You're my right?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 9: That depends, are you, mister Nicholas Alexander?
Speaker 2: Only my boss calls me Nicholas.
Speaker 9: All right, Well, then let me be the first to welcome you to the island. Nico. Uh, can I help you carry one of your suitcases?
Speaker 2: I'm good, I got it.
Speaker 9: Sorry. Most of the folks I drive to this, you know, want to be waited on hand and foot as soon as the Hilland not that there's anything wrong with that. The resort pays me to make sure everyone feels taken care of.
Speaker 2: What's your name? Uh?
Speaker 9: Diego, sir?
Speaker 2: All right, listen, Diego.
Speaker 10: You don't need to watch your mouth around me, all right?
Speaker 9: Whatever you say, boss, popular guy.
Speaker 2: That's my I'm on the deadline.
Speaker 9: Well, you picked the perfect week for a business trip. The island is beautiful this time of year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember, Oh you visited before.
Speaker 2: Something like that.
Speaker 10: Is the music, Okay.
Speaker 9: I want to make sure your trip starts on the right note.
Speaker 5: It didn't even mean to do that.
Speaker 2: We almost now.
Speaker 9: It won't be long now, desinos all the way at the southern tip of the island. But we're making good time. So when we were down here last you don't mind me asking fifteen years ago, it looks different. I'd say it's been so built up I barely even recognize it sometimes, and I've lived here my whole life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it must be rough watching all these tours just take over everything.
Speaker 2: It's not all bad.
Speaker 9: I wouldn't have this job without them. And trust me, driving to him from the airport all day beats the alternatives. I'm saving up to open my own little tour company down here, though. I'm a good enough talker and I know all the local gossips. Plus I want to get some of that tourist money flowing into my family's pocket. You got kids, not yet, but I've got two little sisters who might as well be mine.
Speaker 2: Can we go any faster.
Speaker 9: I'm glad you asked see.
Speaker 5: You that way.
Speaker 2: I do love you anyway. Yeah, yeah, of course I'll keep you posting.
Speaker 9: Damn, that's one demanding job.
Speaker 11: Man.
Speaker 2: You don't know what to happen.
Speaker 12: Afternoon, sir checking in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, name is Nicholas Alexander.
Speaker 6: M m ah, yes, I see you've booked one of our deluxe few ocean suites.
Speaker 12: Excellent choice.
Speaker 10: Yeah, if you could just point me in the right direction in my room, of.
Speaker 12: Course, sir.
Speaker 6: But at first I'd love to walk you to some of our all inclusive offerings.
Speaker 2: It's not that kind of true.
Speaker 5: Excuse me, yes, it drops a key, my hero, you go.
Speaker 9: Nego You okay, boss, you look like you're having a sunstroke or something.
Speaker 2: No, I was.
Speaker 6: Just I apologize, sir. Diego has a tendency towards over familiarity.
Speaker 12: Just one moment. You are not on a first name basis with our guests.
Speaker 5: Show some respect.
Speaker 10: Diego and I are getting along just fine.
Speaker 12: Oh I'm sorry, mister Alexander is fine.
Speaker 1: I just don't like seeing my friends get pushed around, of course, so can I please get my key?
Speaker 12: Of course you'll be staying in sweet one oh two.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it.
Speaker 6: I'll have one of our porters show you to your suite Diego. I have another pickup for you at the Diego.
Speaker 2: Can you show me to my room?
Speaker 12: Oh uh, certainly.
Speaker 2: Thanks for that. No, that's all good, don't tramp.
Speaker 9: Here's your not so humble a vote for the week. I hope it's to your liking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this will do. So.
Speaker 9: This is your sitting room. The bedroom is through there, and there's an outdoor shower on the patio if you want to freshen up before you go. Looking for that woman from the lobby. I noticed you noticing her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's hard to miss right.
Speaker 9: Whole place has been buzzing about her ever since she got here. You're gonna try and mix a little pleasure in with your business.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll see. How would you like to pick up a little extra cast this week?
Speaker 9: I wish I could, but I'm on the schedule pretty much every day and I.
Speaker 2: Can make it worth you.
Speaker 11: Why, I'm pretty sure that's more cash than I make in a year driving.
Speaker 2: The job does come with some perse.
Speaker 9: No offense, boss, but I try not to get mixed up in jobs to get paid out from mystery envelopes of cash.
Speaker 1: Don't worry, You're not getting your hands dirty. I just want to make sure you stay available. I'll s five hundred a day, so.
Speaker 2: It'll do. All I ask is that you stay close. Okay, we'll do.
Speaker 9: And thanks.
Speaker 1: I've been down to get a moment to myself since I left New York. But as soon as I did, I realized it wasn't just the present that was haunting me on this island.
Speaker 2: It was the past too. Fuck am I doing here?
Speaker 1: Everything I heard, smelled, and taste it here dragged the past a little closer to the surface. And that would have been just fine if it was just the good memories. But as for the bad.
Speaker 3: Mom where are you?
Speaker 2: I kept those farther little surface for the reason.
Speaker 12: Good evening, sir.
Speaker 5: Are we waiting for anyone?
Speaker 2: Yeah, just gotta grab a drink.
Speaker 12: Of course, you'll find the bar just through there out in our terrace.
Speaker 7: Okay, what'll look very handsome?
Speaker 2: You got a million?
Speaker 7: This is your first day, Justina?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, checked in this afternoon.
Speaker 9: I knew it definitely would have remembered seeing you around.
Speaker 1: You can't possibly keep track of every single guest that stays.
Speaker 7: Here, of course, not just the cute ones speaking of, I'll be with you in a sec vibe.
Speaker 13: Take your time.
Speaker 7: I'll see what she got your eye on.
Speaker 9: She's not on the menu, my guy.
Speaker 2: I'll settle for the bourbon there that.
Speaker 11: I can do.
Speaker 12: Hold the rocks?
Speaker 5: Do you when you're a favor?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 2: And how's that observe?
Speaker 6: Is this?
Speaker 9: He taken?
Speaker 5: I have a feeling it's about to be.
Speaker 10: I mean, looks like you still need a drink.
Speaker 4: I would love to buy you.
Speaker 13: I can buy my own drinks things, of course.
Speaker 11: Of course, But I mean just because you can doesn't mean you should have to have this.
Speaker 13: If you can guess what my drink is, you can buy.
Speaker 2: It for me. Okay, okay, you're on.
Speaker 13: Apparrel sprints lax substance, Martine Tustagy. Oh oh now you're just hurting my feelings.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, well how about this?
Speaker 13: Oh sorry, three strikes baby? All right? Excuse me?
Speaker 14: Could I get an old fashioned like as a constellation prize over here?
Speaker 7: Come and ride off, hansom, But your brisde ego.
Speaker 3: Much obliged, have.
Speaker 2: A have a good life.
Speaker 5: I planned to.
Speaker 2: Usual you know it.
Speaker 9: It was a trick question.
Speaker 2: Sorry my drink.
Speaker 5: There was no way he.
Speaker 13: Could have possibly guessed it because Elena invented it for me.
Speaker 5: It's a seek.
Speaker 2: You're good?
Speaker 7: Oh, I almost forgot?
Speaker 2: Wait, why you need a blow towards?
Speaker 9: Did show the pineapple? Obviously?
Speaker 13: Oh, Elena, it's perfect.
Speaker 15: I know.
Speaker 7: You too enjoy?
Speaker 13: Can I tempt you into trying one of these?
Speaker 5: They're pretty delicious?
Speaker 2: I'm cool, but thank you.
Speaker 13: Ah a whiskey man, very original look.
Speaker 2: I like to keep things simple. It looks a little sugary for my taste.
Speaker 13: Don't underestimate it. It may look sweet, but it's strong as hell. You're right though, it's probably a bit too complicated for you.
Speaker 10: All right, give it here.
Speaker 13: Can't resist a challenge.
Speaker 5: Never, don't worry.
Speaker 13: You're gonna love it.
Speaker 5: Trust.
Speaker 1: Mmm mezcal pineapple obviously. The smoked sea salt rim is a nice touch. Could use a little dash of cayenne, though, but it's pretty good all the same.
Speaker 13: Oh that's some palette. I'm impressed. Are you a mixologist or something?
Speaker 1: I just know a thing or two about the local flavors down here. Mm So what's this drink called? Just in case I want to order another?
Speaker 5: It doesn't have a name yet.
Speaker 10: What if you were the inspiration is you name it after you?
Speaker 5: I'll take that up with Elena.
Speaker 10: Good credit.
Speaker 2: What credits do?
Speaker 10: But if they were to name it after you, what what they call it?
Speaker 13: Ana?
Speaker 2: Hey, Hona, I'm Nico.
Speaker 13: You mind if I come closer?
Speaker 5: Nico?
Speaker 2: Not at all?
Speaker 13: At least let me put your entirely uncomplicated whiskey on my tip as a thank you for picking up my key.
Speaker 2: I wondered if you recognize me.
Speaker 13: You don't exactly blend in, says the.
Speaker 2: Person who seems even more out of place than not do.
Speaker 8: So.
Speaker 13: Where are you from?
Speaker 2: Based in New York?
Speaker 5: Ooh?
Speaker 10: Red flag? I la?
Speaker 1: Then it's you supposed to be nice to my face before you start talking shit behind my back.
Speaker 13: Maybe, but I'm not a big fan of doing what I'm supposed to good.
Speaker 2: I like how direct you are?
Speaker 5: You think I care if you like me?
Speaker 10: No, but I do have to admit that only makes me.
Speaker 2: Like you more.
Speaker 10: Someone's a masochist? Why you into that exclusively?
Speaker 2: Somehow? I can't tell if you're joking.
Speaker 13: Keep people guessing and you never have to give them a straight answer.
Speaker 5: Nico?
Speaker 2: Is that what you're doing down here? Looking for answers?
Speaker 5: Who says I'm looking for anything.
Speaker 2: Everyone who comes here is.
Speaker 10: Including you.
Speaker 5: I guess.
Speaker 13: If anything, I'd say, I'm looking for an authentic experience of this place.
Speaker 1: Well, you're not gonna find out here Thatstino couldn't be further from what the island it's actually like. But lucky for you, I happen to know a thing or two about the real island.
Speaker 10: I can show you if you want.
Speaker 13: Oh yeah, you really think you can show me something I haven't seen before?
Speaker 2: I know it. I actually gotta call it a night.
Speaker 13: Oh okay, Hey, Nico, don't tell anyone.
Speaker 5: About my drink.
Speaker 2: Your secrets safe with me. I'll see you later, Honor. Yeah, yeah, I know it's late. Listen to me. I found her.
Speaker 15: Mm hmm, I said, Hulo a k preacher, my sexemonal Issa can't tell if you can't leave him or refume State and Grand just Giezer.
Speaker 14: Don't Underwater is an Interval Presents original production with Temple Hill Entertainment and Clamor, starring Jason Derulo and Alexander Scheff. Written by Katrina Day, directed by Pat Kelly and Chris Kelly, executive producer, Jason Derulo executive producers from Interval Presents Alan Coy and Jay Kleinberg executive producers from Temple Hill Entertainment. Marty Bowen, Wick Godfrey and Alex Addison executive producers from Clamor Rich Statter, Aaron Hilliard, Adam Reynolds and Alison Chana Executive produced by Katrina Day, Executive producer from Future History, Frank Harris. Special thanks to Henry de Sources, Marketing Lead Samara Still, Business development Leader Cheffy Allen, Sweg Meggie and Operations Lead Sarah You. Post Production audio services by Helliam Kelly, Sound design and mixed by Paul teed Eskindek. Dialogue edited by Max Collins. Original music by Jenevieve Vincent. Songs arranged by Genevieve Vincent. The cast includes Jason Derulo as Nico, Alexander Ship as Anna, Cary, Alexander as bank teller and additional voices, Bo Bridgeland as Jordan's, Michael Darry as credit reader and additional voices, Anisia Dubois Dahlia and Young Dahlia, Andrew Frankel as stranger in additional voices, Walter Gray the Fourth as male tourist and additional voices. Melissa Greenspan as female tourist and additional voices, Alice Hunter as Elena, Jeremy Jordan as Gabriel, Josh Keaton as Matteo, Taara l Angela as female guest and additional voices.
Speaker 2: Jonathan Leon as.
Speaker 14: Young Matteo, Donnis Leonard Junior as Alias Parker, James Logan as young Boy, Emily Martinez as Carman, Michael McLoone as Marcus, Carlo Renata as Bartender, John Carlos Sabagal as Diego, David Shatraw as male guest and additional voices. Andre Siglutzo as Sebastian, Cameron jay Wright as Young Nico, and Hannah Zamora as Mia. Produced by Lillian Holman, post produced by Justin Schow and Lauren Berkovich. Associate producer Erica Lowe. Music supervision by Melanie Mitchell. Music clearances by Deborah Mannis Gardner DMG Clearance is Incorporated. Audio engineered by Ian Fogerty and Ed mckintye at Gold Diggers, Brett Tuban at the Relic Room and Jordan Sweet at Challie Recording Studio. Assistant engineered by Derek mcgroene and Amperorzeri. Vocal coaching by Bianca Blush Atterbury, casting by Marlice Gussenhauer, Sibby Kersch and Brentagata. Additional casting by Melissa Berger, Brennan Salem Everett and Scott Forbes at CESD Talent Script supervisor Tamara Black, Production supervisor Lizzie sam Production coordinators Ethan Aronson and Sean Green. Production assistants Chelsea Perry and Samara Malik. Additional special thanks to Riley Fulsome in Maxim Carlick. Underwater was recorded at Gold Diggers in Los Angeles, California, Cellis Recording Studio in Los Angeles, California, and The Relic Room in New York, New York. Make sure to follow Underwater and listen on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Amazon Music, Sirius XM, or wherever you get your podcasts,