Speaker 1: This is Frosted Tips with Lance Bass, an iHeartRadio podcast. Hello, my little Peanuts, it's me your host, Lance Bass. This is Frosted Tips with Me and my lovely co host husband, Michael Turkey Turchin. I'm excited for our first show back season two of Frosted Tips, and we are starting out with a bang because it is Father's Day, Daddy Day edition, and we have brought our favorite dads to the show today. Not only are you an amazing dad, Turkey Turchin, well, we have some great dads with us too, Brian Austin, greatest hair.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes yes.
Speaker 1: And we also have Alexander James McLean a k a a J. From the Backstreet Boys and also my son's namesake.
Speaker 2: I love watching this banter. It's so cute. It is, it really is. We're just going to start. I would love to be on the car ride home. I just I just.
Speaker 1: Would so you I hear want to start going by Alex more than AJ.
Speaker 2: Yeah you know so so a J.
Speaker 3: I've now kind of learned is a persona is a character if you will that you know, I as as one fifth of the Backstory Boys when I went on this little self journey. This past summer, I spent ten weeks out in Scottsdale, Arizona, went to an amazing place for a intensive outpatient program called The Meadows. Not so much for my sobriety, but really to kind of get to the roots and clean out the pipes and you know, deal with some past traumas and whatnot. And you know, learned two very key words that I never used in my vocabulary since birth. One is boundaries. That's a big one.
Speaker 2: Love that word. Well, it's a big word. Yeah, when you're born.
Speaker 3: That's a lot to say, a lot of syllables that And then authenticity you know, right, that's another one. Yeah, I mean, thank you, thank you to the most amazing woman that I've never met, and I cannot wait to meet miss Brene Brown.
Speaker 2: She really inspired.
Speaker 3: And so oh she's incredible, does a bunch of ted talks and she is phenomenal. Her mantra is Braving, which I got tattooed on my arm, which stands for boundaries, reliability, accountability, fault, integrity, non judgment, and gratitude.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 3: So yeah, So Alexander James is me being my true authentic self And uh as I said to you earlier before we started. Alexander James has a bone to pick with you?
Speaker 1: A bone pick?
Speaker 2: Yes, I do so.
Speaker 3: I you know, Pride Pride just happened here. I texted you twice. You did come out hanging out with you guys, and I got crickets crickets.
Speaker 1: I did not get a message.
Speaker 2: Wow, get your Instagram going having so much fun.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Wow, I did not see this.
Speaker 2: It was like you had fun scene in the morning because you're a dad.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, I'm up at seven. Oh my god, I did not see this.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Rude, yeah, rude.
Speaker 1: So do you want to hang for Pride?
Speaker 4: That's weird?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, sure, fit me in next.
Speaker 1: You know, Pride was so fun this year because we had zero plans. Usually always, you know, hang out either at Heart or Rocos, and I just kind of sit there and watch the craziness happen. This year I went into the festival for the first time and it was a crazy lineup. We had Kylie Minogue, we had dip Lo Bbi Rex, Lambert Lamber.
Speaker 2: It was all my friends. Thank you.
Speaker 1: It was fun. It was fun. So yeah, four other Bags boys, the other four Backstree boys.
Speaker 2: They didn't invite you, just left the tour. He was there.
Speaker 1: It was crazy.
Speaker 2: Should have been there, yeah, I should have should have.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it was fun and the most visited Pride in history I think so far. Yeah, some records. So take that. Sorry for shoving it in your face out there, but here we are. I know this. That's the funniest phrase to me. Just don't shove it down my throat, don't put it in my face, and just like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 4: Things that are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but somehow I came back from Pride and I didn't notice until like a few days later. I'm like, I'm scratching the back of my head. I'm like, something's wrong with my hair right here, and I realized that it had been burnt. Someone burned my hair. And the only thing I can think of is someone just took a lighter and just went because it was.
Speaker 4: Just next to a heater.
Speaker 1: I think I would have felt that.
Speaker 2: I don't know you would have felt if somebody.
Speaker 1: Well I thought so too, but I don't know. I don't know. I did have a drink or maybe you just have a crusty yeah, but yeah, so someone burnt my hair or I burnt my hair. I don't know, but.
Speaker 2: That's that's the truth, Michaels. Michael's giving me shifty eyes, like, maybe that's the person you.
Speaker 1: Do this to me? That does sound like something you would do. What your hair is?
Speaker 4: All?
Speaker 1: Right? Well, it is Father's Day. Happy Father's Day to two amazing, three amazing dads here, and we're amazing, amazed. I am a good dad. I think I'm a good dat. But I'm glad that you are here because I want to get into because y'all have been dads longer than we have. So we're gonna need some advice, I think, because we're now getting to that age where they're really impressionable. Now there, you know, they can they just learn things. And now now we have to watch right, Okay, we've got to watch what we say we do. So now now we have to like really be in it instead of just looking at them like, oh, there's nothing I could do for your just a blob sitting there on the couch. Now they're like human beings ready to go. So my question to you guys is, uh, is there something that you wish you would have done when they were younger that you didn't do that you're like, oh man, when they were two, I wish I would have started this. I know I was a perfect dad, because one thing that I want to do is, you know, they get a lot of art right there at school. They come home with all this art, and like, what do you do with it? You know, do you save it memory box? Like, okay, that's that's a lot. But now they have these books now that you can just send in the photos and they create it, right. So we're going to start doing that for the next birthday. So every birthday we're going to collect all their art and do that. And I'm understating how.
Speaker 2: Big the room is going to have to be houses this collection of books.
Speaker 1: But they're pretty thin books. They're pretty thin books, and we're going to combine on both kids are going to have one book. So you know, wait, how how old are your kids now?
Speaker 2: Two and a half? Two and a half. I mean the last I had probably more fun than the kids did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, would you do.
Speaker 2: Birthday party? That place was incredible.
Speaker 1: Little candy Land. When we were kids, we didn't have that crap, you know, we just had the McDonald's.
Speaker 2: Where was what was the play? It was also called candy It's like an indoor playground.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like indoor playground, and there's Mickey and Minnie showed up.
Speaker 1: And scary Mickey Minni.
Speaker 2: They were a little like they were.
Speaker 1: They were six foot five, yeah as Mickey and mine.
Speaker 2: I was on Royd very tall, a little.
Speaker 1: Skinny and tall like slender.
Speaker 3: Many had the adorable outfits.
Speaker 2: They were full on, a league of their own, and these two baseball as soon as you walked in, I'm like, that was.
Speaker 1: Just it was great where we have. So they were Halloween babies, so of course every year for their birthday and it's going to be a Halloween party, which is my favorite holiday. And they're obsessed even to this day. They only asked for scary things to read, like scary I wrote this Halloween book that's coming out this year, and they every night Scary Street, Scary Street. I'm like, what hap about to Santa Claus, come on, can we do it?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: They have ghost poppings.
Speaker 2: Ghost Journey.
Speaker 5: My eight year old is all about like all the horror games and the horror things, and it's all like five nights at Freddy's time and like all of these things.
Speaker 1: I love that because I grew up with scary Halloween like my grandfather, my dad. They were all about just doing scary and I love that because it desensitized me to Halloween. I always I was never scared of I like.
Speaker 2: I used to do a haunted house. I won't do Halloween hard nights. I don't like to be scared, you know, like I jumping.
Speaker 3: I don't like people like my knee jerk reaction is to punch you in the face. I don't want that, but I will watch the goryoust most revolting films.
Speaker 1: I love her See. I'm the same way. I don't like being scared, but I scare the crap of of him all the time.
Speaker 2: I think, I know you guy.
Speaker 5: You guys ever go to the Haunted hay Ride and that's not that's not scary. Well the hay Ride, you know they ride is a Griffith Park.
Speaker 2: That's my old so they do.
Speaker 5: They do the walk through mazes and some of those get the hay Ride. I used to go to when they first started, and it was scary, like they had that you get to a section, there'd be were wolves or like Jason Vore, he's auld be on a hill like all these cool things.
Speaker 2: Now it's not as not.
Speaker 1: As part of it.
Speaker 2: But the walk through.
Speaker 1: The thing that gets me on that walk through is at the end when that tunnel where it starts you.
Speaker 4: It's like walking through like like if you're claustophobic, because like you're through like a giants anus.
Speaker 1: Out and you're like, is uh.
Speaker 2: They had one maze where you had to like crawl through.
Speaker 5: They had just like this little kind of cut out in the wall and the guy was like pointing to it and I was like, I'm not that's like and he was like, no, that's the only way to go.
Speaker 4: There's a really good one, remember the one we went to. There's one in the thirteen Doors seventeen doors I've heard of that.
Speaker 2: Oh nothing's as bad as what is it?
Speaker 3: Mcamee manner, Like that's a whole like you're physically.
Speaker 2: Being tortured, Like to is that out of state?
Speaker 3: It's out of state and it's like you like a forty page waiver and no one's ever completed it.
Speaker 1: There's been two documentaries on it. One just came out about how this guy is not good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's.
Speaker 4: For free and there's like waitless forever and he goes to his house and he like tortures people.
Speaker 2: From they'll pull your teeth out, they'll like make food. Yeah, I don't understand what. What's the the.
Speaker 3: New thing though for us that my best friends got me and my kids hooked up, which like we are obsessed now is escape rooms. Escape rooms is all the rage and a couple of my kids love them and one hates love him skap rooms because it's also good team building, like having you know, a four year gap between both my girls. You know, they're always kind of competing for the attention and competing, you know, which is natural. But now in this type of a scenario, we all have to work together, and they do so well, like they're smarter than dad.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you that I I suck at escape rooms terrible, terrible, like all sitting on it for like ten minutes and be.
Speaker 2: Like I have not.
Speaker 1: We've done like four and like two are just crappy. You're like, okay, and then two are really good. But yeah, they're a very hit or miss, very hit or miss. We did. Speaking of haunted houses, which I love as a kid, always built harnted houses, like that was my thing, Like you take the garage over, you know, trigger treating.
Speaker 5: Halloween, My mom take graves in the front yard. Have I wear my Freddy Krueger costume or hop about and kids didn't want to walk down the lall we did.
Speaker 1: We lived into Luca Lake years ago, and uh it was we rented this house because we were living in New York at the time. Uh, the old Jonas brother's house, which was funny because like little kids and mail would come for them all the time. Like this is ironic trying to find Jonas buzs and you find an instinct number. Uh. So we were we were moving out or November first. We had to be out right, so we had all the furniture of the house and we were in this neighborhood, which, if to Luca Lake is the best place to go trick or treating is I've never in my life everyone has full candy bars. It is nuts. Thousands of kids get bust in their nuts. So like, why don't we just go ahead and build a haunted house, you know it's empty. So we did, and we kind of forgot that it was it was for kids. This is definitely from more adults. We had a dexter kill room. I mean it was there was elaborate.
Speaker 4: We had like thirty people will come.
Speaker 2: So you hired a bunch of people.
Speaker 1: Friends just came and it was so good and we kept telling the parents were like, I don't know if there is this is good for little kids, like oh fine, the amount of kids that pete and poop their pants and oh it was not but the best thing ever. Even it's on youtubef you want to see lances. So you were in other people's kids and I mean there because we did have halfway through there was an exit and they a lot of people use that.
Speaker 3: Where where I currently live, there's a there's one street in the community that goes SAMN and I mean it's it's better than Hard Knights in many ways. And there's a lot of the same houses. They do the same thing well.
Speaker 5: And people spend thousand, they heads of thousands. They'll have like easily skeleton like horses, animatronics, crazy.
Speaker 3: And there's one house right on the corner that does a haunted house every year. And Lyric, my youngest, was like the one pushing for us to go through it, and I'm like, do you really want.
Speaker 2: To do this, babe, And She's like, yeah, I got this. I got this. Within seconds of walking in, she attached herself to my leg didn't look and like, so thank you to my brother in law.
Speaker 3: He would go ahead of us and like tell the people, heay, we got a we got a six year old. She's freaking out, go easy. So we didn't really get to experience what they were gonna do because they will like run up and touch you and like get in your face. And then afterwards she's hysterically crying. We're about halfway back to my house and she's like, that was awesome.
Speaker 2: I did it. That was awesome, and now she wants to do it again. So she says, until you're there. We're there exactly until you're back in the hallway and leg.
Speaker 3: I mean, but they had some really clever like little rooms there. I mean it was there. They basically gutted their entire garage and their.
Speaker 2: Whole first floor crazy. I mean, they really go all out.
Speaker 5: I used to go to a not scary farm when like when it first opens, and they used to have some walk through.
Speaker 2: Mazes that were crazy.
Speaker 5: Like guys on like spongy cords jumping down and they come down and like spring back up, you know, two floors and like all sorts of for the.
Speaker 1: First time last year, and I'm like, yeah, it's definitely better than hard Knights. Oh yeah, it's a little scarier. And there's so many actors out there.
Speaker 2: And they smoked the whole thing up.
Speaker 5: It's like they're sliding at you on knee pads and they've got like the can.
Speaker 1: Do y'all have a favorite? Did y'all ever do family costumes with your kids? Like a group costume?
Speaker 3: We tried this year or this past year to be a Marvel family, and unfortunately my oldest daughter's costume didn't turn out the way she wanted, so she kind of was Scarlet Witch in her own way.
Speaker 1: I guess a little bit.
Speaker 2: Did she throw a wrench in the whole thing though? She was like she was just you know, she was really really upset about it.
Speaker 3: So we had to like last minute put together this kind of makeshift scarlet, which I've been the same thing the last five years. I found this amazing guy who used to work at Disney back in the day doing all of the costs and he since retired, and he made like a movie grade quality Deadpool costume, which is my favorite. You know, Ryan Reynolds is my mancarage. So that's what I've been every year and the kids go nuts because the costume is that good. But kids can be mean, Like when they ask me something and I respond, they're like, you.
Speaker 2: Don't sound like Ryan Reynolds. I'm not, you know what I will, you know. But this was the first year I didn't go as Deadpool.
Speaker 3: I went as Spider Man, but my my mask didn't work right, so I just kept the mask off, had the whole costume, had a backpack on, and just put a baseball cap on and I got more people loving the look of it than anything else. And I'm like, and we had to make shift because when he made it, he didn't put something in the crotch like a like a superhero has like that that Ken doll crosh right, So there was no cup there, right, Okay, So it's like full moose knuckle going on in this costume.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, I don't want to freak out.
Speaker 3: These kids, you know, like very well, oh the Spider Man, what's happening right there?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: But like, but this was the first time that there was more teenagers, which were kind of being kind of asses, like ruining it for all the little kids that want to go like trick or treating. So you know, I had to bite my top a lot.
Speaker 2: Area that street gets that way like later on in the night all the time. Yeah, I had to bite my tongue at the end. Yeah, it's like this is not for you.
Speaker 3: Like this is you know, you're past that age now, Yeah, what is six year old?
Speaker 2: Fans?
Speaker 1: What is the oldest you would want your kid to trigger treat? Is there a.
Speaker 2: Cutoff forty six? Yeah, I don't think there's a cutoff. I think there's just like a moral exactly.
Speaker 5: There should be some sort of like moral age online. Okay, don't don't be an asshole, don't don't like completely run over little kids, you know, and not look back.
Speaker 2: Or and if you're the parents, like don't don't wear like lingerie and things like I've seen some of the moms. Don't be a sexy nurse like not raggedy. Yeah no, no, no, no trick or.
Speaker 5: Treat street like saying that like you know, some some party at so exactly, or don't do that, don't do that.
Speaker 2: Go to the Hollywood Cemetery.
Speaker 1: It's about birds and the bees. Now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this next one, I think the plan, if hopefully I'm home, is to do the Wizard of Oz.
Speaker 2: That's the next family.
Speaker 1: Your guys gonna do that one too?
Speaker 3: Is still no, no, no, I'm gonna make my own because I'm the Scarecrow, so that's pretty easy to do. Elliott wants to be Toto, Lyric wants to be Dorothy. Uh my brother in law wants to be the Cowardly Lion. But he wants to be the Cowardly Lion version from American Dad.
Speaker 2: So he's got like he's all like the.
Speaker 3: Cowardly line on top, but from the bottom down he's in heels and like fish nets.
Speaker 2: I'm like, okay, whatever, dude, all right, man, bring it.
Speaker 1: That's a choice.
Speaker 2: Yeah he's a sexy yes, okay, but they get I think Rochelle's either going to be the tin Man or the Wicked Witch. I'm not sure she hasn't see.
Speaker 1: I love group costumes and we try to think of one every year. Every year. This is the third one we're gonna have, but yeah, there's always one. Because we were trying to do which which one did Panucci not want to wear, like, well, you just run a whole family costume. He wouldn't put something on his head where it was Yeah, it was yeah, but what was it was a group anyway, It's supposed to be teen wolf, So I don't know what the group.
Speaker 2: For me.
Speaker 5: As the kids like continued to come like as I had more and more, it was like, my my costume now is like whatever I can move in the easiest. I need to safely get them through a neighborhood.
Speaker 1: And I don't like to be hot.
Speaker 2: I don't like to be hot. I don't like to be uncomfortable.
Speaker 5: Well, and it's like you spend hours working on costumes for the kids and then they want a trick or treat, they want to do one lap, and then they're done because they've got their bag of candy.
Speaker 1: And you're like, what did I put all this work into this costume for? Well this year? We will a couple of weeks ago, so Airbnb and Pixar got together and did the Incredibles House. So they saw that, yes, so they you know Edna, you know the mode, the designer of the costumes. So they created her mansion and where she creates all the superhoots, superhoots, super suits.
Speaker 4: And yeah, Sla in Hollywood took it over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so they invited us over there with the kids I'm like, okay, Like you know, you do these experiences all the time and sometimes they're hit or miss. We did this blue one that we're like, okay.
Speaker 2: We did the Century City.
Speaker 1: Yes, like we didn't know what to do, Like is they we're gonna tell us, like what to do? And there was five hundred kids everyone like this is crazy.
Speaker 2: They just recreated the house.
Speaker 5: So you kind of walked through and they're like, now you get like into the gift room afterwards where there's like stuff to buy, and the kid, is.
Speaker 2: That all year round? Is that there are No, it's not a year round.
Speaker 1: It's called what was that called? It's yeah, it's camp.
Speaker 2: It's called about the Incredible House.
Speaker 1: So I don't know what it's called. They just invited us over. It's Airbnb, you know is doing it. So we went there and it's the jit all right.
Speaker 2: I saw that's insane.
Speaker 4: The like rebuilt their entire house inside.
Speaker 1: The entire thing, so you see see the suits get tested on with fire and ice and I mean and then you go and they have what's her name from Project Runway, one of these contestants like only three times. Yeah, she is like the designer and so you look at all the swatches and all the kids are like picking out the colors, they want the different fabrics. Way yeah, and then you know, you put it all together and you're designing it and I mean it's takes like over an hour to do all this stuff. It was so much fun. And then they're like okay, and then they made suits for us and they're like, Okay, you'll get it in like two weeks. Like, oh, we actually get to have suits. Yeah, we.
Speaker 2: Really superhero out Okay, hold.
Speaker 1: On, kind of like guess, oh my god, Jit.
Speaker 5: I'm not sure how I feel about the choices and colors and fabric, but that's uh.
Speaker 1: I think the personal joy me and me and Alexander's are really like that's I mean, I think we did good.
Speaker 2: Okay, I need to take the girls there. That is awesome. It's not amazing, right, it was just for I think.
Speaker 1: It is still right now. I think it's there for a couple of monks here.
Speaker 2: We just went a few weeks ago.
Speaker 3: I want to go to the So there's another airbnb. I don't know where it's at, and it's the X Men ninety seven. Oh yes, and it's every room it's all done like the old comics and just like the actual TV show, you can stay there, stay there in like Jubileese room or in beasts room. I'm a huge comic book guy and Marvel, so I'm like, and when you walk in, there's a sentinel head in the front driveway like it's daywhen.
Speaker 1: And you're watching ninety seven, right, it's the new show. Yeah, I haven't seen it yet, Oh so good, loves it so good.
Speaker 2: Same the first one that was Saturday mornings for me, me too.
Speaker 1: So exactly. So yeah. So now that we've done the superhero thing, I think every year I want to try to find a designer just to make us a new superhero suit every year. So every year we're just a different superhero, all right, because there's just they love it and they ask to wear it every day. Superhero. He's bubble neote because he wants his powers or bubbles. Oh okay, and she is ultraviolet ultra violet. Is this a Halloween episode or what?
Speaker 2: Like Father's Day? By the way, happy Father's Day?
Speaker 1: Is there a holiday that is the most fun for you and your family?
Speaker 2: So I think I think Halloween's the most fun. Yeah, yeah, for sure, Halloween and or Christmas, Halloween.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Christmas is fun, but Christmas is So we tried a new thing last Christmas, which a friend of mine suggested and I was. I tried it and I was like, it's amazing. Normally Christmas morning, everybody gets to the tree, they tear everything apart, and it's over in like fifteen minutes. Ye're like, oh my god, I've been working for like three months.
Speaker 1: That's me.
Speaker 2: So he was like, instead, you do a couple of presents.
Speaker 5: Then everybody gets up, puts on their pajamas, goes outside for like a walk or does something, and you come back in. You do a couple more presents, and then you have you make breakfast, and you do so we ended up stretching Christmas out through the entire day's idea. It's really good the kids then, because they had time after they open presents, I'd put them together, they'd play with them. The problem leading up to this was like my kids would find things and they go.
Speaker 2: Hey, I've got this. I was like, yay, you got that.
Speaker 5: For Christmas last year, they had no idea because they just shove everything to close. Because they have the two things that they remember at the end of their half hour destructions. So it was amazing and it was great, and then people came by and they brought presents and so it was like this slow It really ended up being like a family experience.
Speaker 1: I'm going to do that this year. I think that was a really good idea because I'm the person that I'll go all out for that type stuff. I mean, I plan it for days this year. I was also on TikTok, which we're going to make a tradition where h so you know where the tree is and all the presents are in the living room, Well, we put wrapping paper on the entryway, so it's just one big present basically, and so we all stand there and we count to three and then they have to bust through it. And then when you bust through it, you see the magic of Christmas, right, I mean, it is such a fun moment. But then they just fly through the present. So I'm definitely taking your advice.
Speaker 5: Works really well, and it made it like a fun family day.
Speaker 2: It was and the kids.
Speaker 5: I was afraid the kids would be like, you know, just like foaming at the mouth to open more stuff, and they were fine. They they played with everything that they got during the day.
Speaker 2: I still have batteries and toys and have.
Speaker 1: So many presents that have not even been like unwrapped, that are just in the garage waiting for next Yeah. I just it's just too much.
Speaker 3: There's a there's a basketball goal that still is in the box that I got for Elliott because she was all about basketball and then like she's over it now.
Speaker 2: I'm like, really, I mean I can't return it now. There receipts not good anymore. We've had Barbie signed the box and sell it there.
Speaker 1: We have had Hot Wheels, some crazy huge Hot Wheels thing and the Barbie dream House in our garage, just waiting for them to turn three because it says three plus. I'm like, well, okay, we're gonna wait till three plus. Yeah, And I just thing is gonna take up too much fucking room in my house, like we're already we're we like minimalism and so you know, we.
Speaker 3: Definitely doesn't work with We're a big Legos family. We're a big Lego We hadn't gotten too the Legos yet. We we love Legos, like there's obviously the more adult ones that are like three thousand pieces, but like Lyric and Rachelle just did.
Speaker 2: One of of.
Speaker 3: Of a stitch and it's freaking awesome and like she's so proud that she did it. Granted she's seven, but still legos is that's a that's a really good one.
Speaker 2: But I'm definitely gonna use that shocked pace of play.
Speaker 1: And I always do you know the Christmas Eve, you have one that you know, open up and usually it's I like to do the pajamas so we can all wake up in our little Christmas So we were.
Speaker 2: At Christmas Eve.
Speaker 3: Everything family growing up, All the presents were on Christmas Eve. Christmas Day was just food.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 5: What's another idea too that that my fiance saw on on Instagram. I think it was that seemed really cool that you can only do for a few years. Someone in the family would dress up like Santa Claus and be putting presents under.
Speaker 2: The tree the night before.
Speaker 5: The kids could come out and see him, but couldn't speak to him. So they saw the magic of like Santa doing this stuff, so they knew he was there, but then they had to go back in their rooms, and so it's all about like, you know, he's there, but no interaction.
Speaker 2: Yeah, obviously you don't want to turn and face. I still believe. I still believe.
Speaker 1: Are you catch it on the rdom camera? I still believe what you catch it on the ring camera?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's amazing.
Speaker 1: Are we do we want any? Are we done?
Speaker 2: Are we? What?
Speaker 1: Are we done? With kids? You want more? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Even numbers good?
Speaker 1: Even five?
Speaker 2: Five?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's odd. I'm just saying, yeah, I was gonna say yous for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like it's I mean, and yours ranges? What twenty two to almost two? O?
Speaker 1: You? When do you sleep?
Speaker 2: I don't, I don't.
Speaker 5: It's uh, it's amazing though. It's I've learned so much having kids because you you realize, especially when you're five, in that like, oh you start off thinking, oh I want my son and my daughter to be like a little version of me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love dancing, love the.
Speaker 5: Things that I love, and so you're you spend all this time trying to like mold them and make them into something, and then you realize later on that it's like they're these kids, They're exactly.
Speaker 2: Who they are.
Speaker 5: You're not going to mold that at all. The only thing you can mold is morally making sure that they.
Speaker 1: Are good people.
Speaker 2: Going into the world doing whatever it is they're supposed to do. Because like, if I look at my parents, I'm so.
Speaker 1: Different from my parents. They are who they are and it's crazy we knew that, you like six months old.
Speaker 4: Different, Yeah, I guess six months our kids were so different and like they like just weird things that, like just the behavior everything.
Speaker 2: It's like, you can't they.
Speaker 1: Are who they are, yeah, and you can't. Yeah, you can't change.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 5: I think the more you stop like trying, you stop fighting that, and the more you just accept it and you like learn to enjoy.
Speaker 2: It, enjoy it and brazy because.
Speaker 5: Now I'm excited every time they do something new, when they do something that reminds me of me, or there's a similarity of like oh my god, you really love music as much as I do.
Speaker 1: Or it's cool but.
Speaker 5: I'm not pushing for it. Yeah, it's my oldest son now is acting. But he found it in school. He was doing theater in school and he found his own love for it. And it's like, it's amazing because I can share all of these experiences.
Speaker 1: I know. We Alexander started showing that he loves music, you know, loves playing instruments. So I'm like, okay, it's time to get a piano. Like, I'm going to get a keyboard for him, And so we go to Guitar Center and it was so fun to go there for the first time with your kids and let them see all the instruments and play everything. And then finally I'm on the keyboard and he loves it so much. He's already like mixing things. And then he pushes himself back and cracks his head on the fireplace and the back had three staples. So it's our first state. Oh boy, perfect baby, I mean so much moons.
Speaker 5: How I love that it ended with staples to stables.
Speaker 1: I know our poor a girl, Lisa Giggles, who everyone was on this show. She was our assistant for twenty years now. Almost like she's named.
Speaker 4: An ambulance with like our bloody song. We're like what she's like, Oh, he's.
Speaker 1: A fire truck ambulance, which they love. He's where.
Speaker 2: He's really good at the piano. Where do you see him. He's very practicing, really hard, play it like bach.
Speaker 1: But yeah, what was y'all's relationships with your dad's growing up? Oh wait again, let's unpack this let's unpack.
Speaker 2: That's up.
Speaker 3: That's a oh yeah, didn't have one.
Speaker 2: Dad wasn't there.
Speaker 3: I just recently reconnected with my dad after about forty.
Speaker 6: Years last October, when Joey and I were doing a con and then we did our first performance together in Tampa before the tour started.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I just needed to kind of sit down. And it was after my whole stint in you know, Arizona, and I was, you know, I felt like I had the control to kind of sit this down and do this my way. And you know what was really frustrating more than anything was even after the conversation, you know, I kind of stepped away from it, felt a little better about things, but obviously I'm not ready to go play catch in the front yard. But what blew my mind was months later, we're in the Bahamas for How's birthday, his big old fiftieth birthday, and my mom calls me and she's, I don't know what brought this on, and she's like, you know, I just want to let you know. Don't know if you know, but your dad was a musician. That's how I met your dad.
Speaker 2: He was in a band.
Speaker 3: He played bass, And I'm sitting here going wow, like you kept that from me for so long? Like I didn't think anybody in my family was musically inclined except my grandmother who was an insane jazz pianist, but she got stage fright.
Speaker 2: She couldn't she just couldn't do it. But I'm like, wait, so my dad was a freaking musician, like seriously.
Speaker 3: And you know, so when I when I talked to him recently, we were that's all we talked about was just music. And He's like, you know, when I'm not of this world anymore, I want my collection of these amazing fenders and all these things to go somewhere.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, yeah, I'll take really good care of.
Speaker 3: Him, you know, but but yeah, yeah, you know it's a work in progress.
Speaker 1: Now do you did that heal you in any way?
Speaker 2: Because I know, I mean, it started it, but it started it.
Speaker 3: It started it, but it didn't it didn't close anything. Because my mom had kept letters from me, Christmas cards for like, she kept everything from me for years.
Speaker 5: Did he have a conversation with you and talk to you about like when you were born, what he was going through, Like what why the circumstances ended up the way they did.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: I mean, honestly, the gist of what I got from both my parents was, now that I've talked to both of them about it was that, you know, had me too young, wasn't ready for the responsibility kind of thing. But growing up, I was told my dad was jealous of me, that's why he left.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, how could you be jealous of your kid? Your kid's not even who told you that? My mom, my uncle who.
Speaker 3: Kind of took the place of like a father figure, and then my grandfather, and those are the only men in my life, you know. So looking back on it now, it's like it all makes sense why I took the path that I took outside of the drugs and alcohol and the party, but like even women and everything, like my whole perception of relationships and everything. And you know, I'll sell myself out objectifying people because that's all I knew. You know, I don't do that on purpose. I don't do that to this day, But it makes sense to me now why that was my perception of what's real and what's not. I had no one to really look up to or base any of this one, you know. But I mean we probably talk once a month. Right now, I'm still you know, he's been sick and not sick, and sick and not sick. So, you know, my mom asked me recently, She's like, if your dad passed away tomorrow, would you go to the funeral? I said, I really don't have an answer for that, because if they asked me to go and say something, what the.
Speaker 1: Hell do I say?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know anything about you.
Speaker 3: I know you're from Cambridge, mass you're a musician, and you're basically a certified genius like your IQ is through the roof. He's a techie, you know, worked for IBM. He spent up months or years I think living in Japan. You know, again, it's all fragments. You know, I don't know enough, but but.
Speaker 1: I'm glad that you're getting some of those answers.
Speaker 2: But if you look at him and me side by side, it's frightening. Really we are mannerisms, which is crazy, Like the way yeah, the way we sit, the way we talk, our cadence. I'm like, it's unselling to me, Like why.
Speaker 1: I'm starting to see that in our son.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 1: It took a couple of years, but now I'm starting to see so much of myself. It took a couple year because he's only a couple year.
Speaker 2: It's entire life. It's his entire life for me to see he's just like me.
Speaker 1: At the first Hi, I'm like, oh, I don't like whatever. I didn't even think you look like me. Now he's starting to look more like me. He's starting to do the same things like oh crap.
Speaker 2: Like that's Elliott.
Speaker 5: I'll spot little things every once in a while, like I'll be doing something and I'll look.
Speaker 2: At my hands and I'll go, that's my dad's.
Speaker 5: It's so weird to see because I remember like looking at things like that.
Speaker 1: What about you?
Speaker 2: I had?
Speaker 5: So I had a very different experience my dad. So my dad is amazing. My dad was young when I was born. He was twenty five when he married my mom. She already had two kids. Then he had me, which so that was for me turning thirty, I was like, I've got to get on this, like having kids thing in life, thing like this. I'm way late. I'm so far behind what you're supposed to be doing. My dad musician.
Speaker 2: He's drummer.
Speaker 5: He was touring a lot when I was young, so I was home most of the time with my mom, but my dad was always super present. But you know, he comes from a military background. His dad was in was in the military, So it's very that generation and that upbringing was very much like, you know, do as you're told. I'll tell you the best way to fucking do things. Otherwise shut the fuck up, like you know, let me, let me just guide you, like I know what's best. So it was definitely a bit stifling, you know when you when I got older, and it was like I had to do things then for myself because I was like, God, I don't know how to do any of this stuff. And one of the other things that was really that that I noticed later on in life was that my parents always held my parents on such a pedestal. I aways looked up to them and what it is they did, because they never grounded my view of them, like they never apologized for things. They were never human and if they made a mistake, it was just kind of like they made it and they brushed over it.
Speaker 2: It was like on to the next day.
Speaker 5: So I always make a point now with my kids of apologizing for mistakes that I make, for things that happen because it's like, I don't I don't want you guys to think that I am any better than you are. You know, I've experienced a lot in life, so I want to help guide you through things, but I also want you to experience life in your own things as well. So it's a it's a juggling act. But I morally from my parents. My moral compass is so huge, so I owe them the world for that, and I want to.
Speaker 2: Be the opposite of my dad.
Speaker 1: Obviously it will always.
Speaker 3: I am very invested in my kids and even something as simple as last night, me and the girls went to get dinner and one of the managers at the restaurant as we were walking out, he like stops us all, and I'm like what they do and he's like, you have the most like sweetest girls.
Speaker 2: They're so respectful.
Speaker 3: They've said thank you, they've said thank you, they've said thank you. Pick out a cookie and like gave them some cookies and they were like, oh, thank.
Speaker 2: You so very much, and just that's just what restaurant is that love We were Love's last night.
Speaker 5: As soon as you said like, he came with the cookies and like literally the Calabasas It's like it's kind of like Jerry's Deli used to be, but it's a much better version of way.
Speaker 2: Their menu is massive.
Speaker 5: They have like they bake everything and so desert and all sorts of st.
Speaker 2: And we literally get the same thing every time. There's no change.
Speaker 5: Friday nights, it's clam chowdert.
Speaker 2: My French toast, literally French toast.
Speaker 1: And it's the place we go to pretty much every day. Is the Beverly Glenn Deli. Okay, yeah, Glens, And it's you know, it's our favorite little Jewish deli. And the kids actually don't go crazy anymore, so it's an actually good experience. But I get the same exact thing every single time.
Speaker 2: Crossroads. My girls love.
Speaker 3: They had no idea that it was vegan, right, and like they're just going to town. And then afterwards I'm like, you know that was vegan. They're like, okay, whatever.
Speaker 2: I took my son there for his birthday.
Speaker 5: That's when he ordered the cocktail and I was like, this is not don't check his ID, this isn't happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a frosted tip.
Speaker 1: I need from you. Guys. We are having such a hard time finding food for our kids that they will eat it. My girl's better, she'll actually eat like a chicken nugget, a fish stick. Right. I'm trying to get some kind of protein in them because.
Speaker 2: I tried to go against fried.
Speaker 1: They won't even eat fried. I mean the French fry every once in a while, but it's just sugar. I mean bread, sugar, bread, sugar. Red Shirt will not eat anything else. Is there a trick into getting them to know when?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like we try and do as many like vitamin gummies and things just to make sure that because if you go in like you know, oh no, I want the healthiest stuff for you, and I want that and then they don't eat, then then they're not getting any nutrients at all. So it's like you have to and it changes, it'll it gets better.
Speaker 2: It does. But two and a half, I mean, yeah, you're super independent, saying.
Speaker 4: Like her son who's now sick, still has never had a green vegetable, and she's all about cooking and everything you.
Speaker 1: Refuse to do.
Speaker 2: I mean it's also I mean I got lucky.
Speaker 3: Both my girls eat everything and they love like their seaweed and they love their vegetables, and I love this that and the other. They're kind of getting a little bit away from certain proteins, like you know, chicken or steak. But you know, we'll put that in here and there. At least my youngest is not living off of bac and cheese anymore. But the best advice I would give is they're also sponges. So whatever they see you eating, they one or the other might lean towards one of you to want to eat what dad's eating.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Like, so I hated vegetables until about three four years ago. I hated them, But being clean now it's sober trying to like put on size all this stuff. You gotta eat your greens so like, and I, you know, I gotta stop making a face when.
Speaker 2: I eat the broccoli and like.
Speaker 3: But by example you have kids, kids are gonna want to be like what their parents are. If they're eating something green, they're gonna go, oh, try it and then, oh, my god.
Speaker 2: The only thing my kids eat that ugh, I don't know why.
Speaker 3: Out of the can sardines out of a freaking.
Speaker 5: Can, all over caesar salad. I'm like, I don't want the sardines?
Speaker 2: Is wrong with my children?
Speaker 1: Did they even get their hands on a can of sard gema.
Speaker 2: GiMA gets it and they freaking literally eat.
Speaker 1: My grandfather, my papa. It was so disgusting. He would love a canno sardines and buttermilk. Think about that.
Speaker 3: It just sounds like restantly or even worse genera that whole like, but like literally.
Speaker 2: Open the can is like like you're eating the depression and stuff. They just ended up eating all extra warm buttermilk.
Speaker 5: And he wasn't eating sardines and buttermilk.
Speaker 3: Like I've seen all those people on like eating that.
Speaker 2: What's that? Just give me five minutes.
Speaker 3: What's that fish that makes everybody want to It's like like Sweden or there's that that like viral challenge with people eating that fish that's supposed to be like the worst smelling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and would anyone want to viraly do challenge exactly?
Speaker 3: Like I'll do certain things, sure, but I'm not going to eat something that's gonna make me projectile, vomit or die.
Speaker 1: Like what was the puffer fish that you know exactly how he's done that?
Speaker 2: How he did that? We were in freaking Japan.
Speaker 3: Obviously, it's one of five chefs in the world that are allowed to serve it. But dude, if you're off by one scale.
Speaker 1: Your dad.
Speaker 4: Like every other one.
Speaker 1: But it's the you know, it's the excitement of But if.
Speaker 2: You get the wrong piece, you are you will die. I have too many kids now to like risk it just to try some fish.
Speaker 1: How much I'm a daredevil, But now that I have kids, I'm like, No, I don't need to skydive anymore.
Speaker 4: No, I don't need to eatl I never will be.
Speaker 1: Lance that will have to talk about because if I get if I get a seat, I'm going, I'm sorry. It's so safe. Now what a space is so sick?
Speaker 2: Why would you?
Speaker 3: You can literally fly in a giant It looks like a giant with.
Speaker 1: Of course really yea my whole life. I want to be a national.
Speaker 2: It's a giant pedole.
Speaker 1: All right, Let's play a game when we come back from this break, because I have lots of things to play with you guys. One before we go, though, congrats on the how do you say it? The the at at at peak your mocktails that you're doing, Yes, tell us about that before we go break.
Speaker 3: So at ten, who is an amazingly talented individual from Montreal.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: He played soccer in Montreal and then actually played for the.
Speaker 2: Jets uh here in the US for a couple of years.
Speaker 3: He's also sober, like myself created this amazing mocktail brand. Uh so, I am a brand ambassador and a partner and uh it is. The mocktail thing is here to stay. Like almost every single restaurant I've been to now anywhere has it as as as an option. It's just like luten free or vegan options. And now, granted, when I got sober, you know, there's a lot of drinks surprisingly that I never tried. So I tried a lot, but so I don't know if that's what it's supposed to taste, like, like I never had a mohido, never have them, But my friends that have tried it are like, dude, this tastes like a mohedo, And like I tell people, it's it's it's kind of like you know, when you're younger and you see mom and dad having a drink after dinner whatever, and maybe they get a little bit tipsy.
Speaker 2: You want to be like that kind of thing.
Speaker 3: So like they'll pour like apple juice in your glass and you'll act a little loopy.
Speaker 2: Oh it it's.
Speaker 3: You know, it releases that dopamine that we all get from drinking or partying or dancing or whatever we're doing. But you don't get foam while you're still in that social atmosphere.
Speaker 2: You know what you're doing.
Speaker 3: You can get home safely or be the DD and make sure your friends are good. And it tastes amazing, it honestly does, and it's all it's all natural, organic and it's I mean, I'm telling you it is the new wave. It's currently only available in Canada, but eventually we are going to bring it down to the.
Speaker 1: That is the this young generation. They don't drink much at all. They don't like to go out, they like to be at home and they don't like to drink. So mocktails are the big thing.
Speaker 2: Well it's either they do that or they they don't eat before they go out. They as soon as they walk in the club, they do six shots and then before you know it, they black out and they don't know where they end up. And it's like it's just on set.
Speaker 3: Like me being an alcoholic, like I always I'm not picking on them, and I'm like, you guys have no idea how to drink, Like you don't know what you're doing.
Speaker 2: You know, first of all, just have a salad. Just have a salad.
Speaker 3: When you have a couple shots, guess what, have a water. Then you can kind of go peet a little bit of the alcohol, drink some more. You don't walk in and go six shots deep. And then you know, if you're a young lady you wake up in some guy's house, you have knowd how you got there. Or if you're a guy and all of a sudden you end up in a bush somewhere on Hollywood Bulevard like he's been.
Speaker 1: He's woken up in a bush before. I was in a bush.
Speaker 2: Burning bush was a hedge. It was totally different. It was wasn't blooming. It was I was drugged.
Speaker 1: I don't think you're like eighteen.
Speaker 2: I was like twenty.
Speaker 4: They were trying to drug the pretty girl I was with. I'm pretty sure you're welcome.
Speaker 5: I've been drunk, but I didn't wake up, so they just wanted to get you out of there.
Speaker 2: No, I think I just took her to the yeah.
Speaker 1: But then his friends leave him and all my.
Speaker 4: Friends woke up at the bust of five in the morning and outside the club in Miami, beats' missing my phone and wallet and a shoe. And luckily the bouncer knew my twin sister because he had a crush on her, and I was like, her up and then I just get this. I have a vague memory of this, her little car pulling up.
Speaker 2: I'm being put in some bad that could have ended really really bad.
Speaker 5: You could have you could have signed from that haunted house, and you could have been missing tea.
Speaker 2: And also of things.
Speaker 4: To attack me or not leave me.
Speaker 3: But it is interesting though that you say that, because like I don't know the brands, but I know that there was a few liquor brands, for example, that pulled out of Coachella this year because they don't want to be associated with some of the aftermath that happens, even though it's personal choice. But so there was like a company called New Bar, a bunch of mocktail options at Coachella at Stage Coach, and they couldn't keep these mocktails on the shelf like they were just going And that's incredible.
Speaker 1: Well, a lot of times they're on drugs.
Speaker 2: Well there's also that a mic. Well they're all they're all doing shrooms. Shrooms is all the rage. Now it's a little microding thing. It's the whole mushroom thing.
Speaker 3: Like obviously, you know, people are comparing it to like weed, where it's like, Okay, you can't die from it.
Speaker 2: You'll do dumb things, you'll make poor.
Speaker 3: Decisions, or you'll have an out of body experience, and then it's over, you know, and you don't do it every single day, although there are the is that smoke weed daily all the time.
Speaker 2: But see there you go. I used to not so much in it.
Speaker 3: But then there's obviously the Kenne means and all these things that are like that's a little bit more severe.
Speaker 1: I just don't. I can't do anything that I can't be in control of, Like I just I would not be good.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: And also people are now terrified, thank god, they're terrified of who of what's out there now because of because of fetanol, you know. I mean I've literally lost eleven friends because of it. And it's like so they're switching to stuff that hopefully doesn't have it in it. But again, you just never.
Speaker 2: Know, you know what I mean. It's just not just just don't do any of it. Go. There's there's more ways to have fun.
Speaker 1: Have a motel have a mottetail exactly. All right, guys. Well, as usual, we're running out of time, so this is definitely gonna be a two for it because I have a lot to talk about with these guys, So all right, we're gonna leave it here. Look for the second episode coming out very very soon. All right, guys, Hey, thanks for listening. Follow us on Instagram at Frosted Tips with Lance and Michael Turchinard, and at lance Bast for all your pop culture needs
Speaker 4: And make sure to write a review and leave us five stars six if you can see you next time.