Speaker 1: Here we go, Padre Slugger, Gavin Sheets. We might we might have to.
Speaker 2: Oh I like this, I like that.
Speaker 1: Like that way, that's more of a trippy Friday. Now we're on the I don't know what's going on there there. It is Padre Slugger joining us right now. But before you say hello, this is Lance Lyn's ft guest hosting debut. So Lance, do you want to introduce your former teammate.
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, you're welcome for let me bring you helping them bring you on because you need some love for sure. Man, how's everything going?
Speaker 4: Everything's great, man, Really enjoying San Diego, really enjoying this team, this organization, and it's been fun so far.
Speaker 5: But the real sprints just beginning now, which is exciting.
Speaker 1: All right, So I'll do the burning question right from the jump. What changed? Was it getting away from Lance or something else?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think getting getting away from this was definitely good for me. But you know, I think, uh, getting this organization and and just getting kind of a fresh start, you know, was was really important for me. And you know, something this off season that I was excited about. And obviously you know, whenever you get non tendered, it burns a little bit, But for me, I was just excited about a fresh start and getting somewhere where, you know, winning was the most important thing.
Speaker 6: Talk to us a little bit about forget about baseball right now, we'll get back to that. You just had a new baby daughter. You're a little sleepy in those eyes. How you feeling right now? Congratulations? Healthy, happy, hopefully and my mom is doing.
Speaker 5: Well, healthy, happy.
Speaker 4: We timed it really well, you know, Sunday I missed one game and then wrote it right into the All Star break and yeah, such a such a cool, cool, just experience. Most respect for my wife after watching everything that she went through and going on a ten day roadstand right now is tough obviously being away from them and only getting a couple of days with him, But no, we got a healthy baby and a health of mommy, so it's uh, it's been great.
Speaker 3: Hey did you use my advice and make sure you didn't gripe about your back hurting sleeping?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I did, I did.
Speaker 5: That was that was good advice?
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I didn't want to bring up how uncomfortable a couch was for a couple of nights, but I felt I felt that I would just wear that one and and be supportive.
Speaker 5: But I appreciate you. Uh. I think that was a good piece of advice you gave me perfect.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. I want to talk a little bit more about family.
Speaker 6: Your dad, Larry, played eight seasons with the Orioles, Tigers and Mariners. Talk a little about what he is ingrained in you in baseball, the grind, you know, the ebbs and flows of the of the ever lasting, getting humbled all the time. What are you and your dad have talked about over the years, just so you know, to get your mind right here, because I find this so interesting and fascinating how family members and it genetics makes, you know, the world go around in this baseball world.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 4: You know, it's fun because each year we've had different conversations. You know, in the beginning, it was how to come up in the league and and stay in the league, and then it was you know, I've had different roles. I've been a platoon player, I've been off the bench guy. Now this year I'm an everyday starter. So you know, being able to talk to them through each scenario and how to handle your situation, how to you know, make the most of each role that you're in, and so every day it's a it's a different conversation, but just having someone that's been through and understands how hard this game is and what it takes to stay in this league for a long time has been has been very important.
Speaker 1: Gavin, I'll do another classic question. I'm sure you've been asked it before. What are the differences behind the scenes that are helping you prep for games? Every organization runs themselves differently. We've spoken to quite a few players either on the padres or that are former padres. You say, the info and the preparation is elite, is top notch, and I know you don't have a million teams to compare it to, but I'm sure friends around the league have talked to you about them as well.
Speaker 5: What do you got for us?
Speaker 4: Yeah, the way we prepare here in the and the stuff available to us is awesome, you know, just preparing on a daily basis for the pitcher at hand.
Speaker 5: And but I just like how simple they keep it.
Speaker 4: You know, it's they don't they take out the eye wash and you know, the most important thing is is six forty every night?
Speaker 5: You know, it's it's.
Speaker 4: Not about you know, it's not about the We get our work in for sure, but when you show up to the ballpark every day, you understand the most important thing is is once the game starts. And you know, I think that's that's most important. You keep all your effort and your energy and you save it up for the game. And we're extremely prepared. And the way we go about our business and the way we talk in the meetings and just prepare for the game is pretty special.
Speaker 1: How did it come about when you linked up with the Padres? Like take us through that process? Like you mentioned, you know, it never feels good getting non tendered. Of course, I'm sure that adds some juice for you. But what happened after that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, then it was you know, seeing the interest around the league, talking to a couple of teams.
Speaker 5: And narrowing it down.
Speaker 4: And you know, it's funny one of my one of my big mentors that you know, Lance played for a while was Tony LaRussa, And you know, I had some I was talking to some teams that Tony was.
Speaker 5: Was knew the guys running it, and you know he he.
Speaker 4: Spoke very highly of of Shilt and you know, he felt it would be a good fit. And you know, I talked to him and obviously you know, making it, making sure the Padres was a good fit as well, you know, what they needed it and what you know, what I could bring to the table, and you know, and then the business side of it is is the business side of it, So that's the negotiations with all the teams and everything.
Speaker 5: But just felt like a really good fit.
Speaker 3: Hey, I know you you signed to be a d H and you're getting some left field time and I've seen you run out there, but I've seen you progress over the years when we were from Chicago on the years, how much how comfortable were you out there? And you know, is it something you were expecting as the year went on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think when I came in it was it was going to be mostly first in First and d H. But as the season per dressed on and what our needs were and you know, being able to go out there and help us out there has been huge. And I feel like I've gotten a lot better out there. You know, put in a lot of work with the guys here, and you know, I think that's the cool thing about being able to play different positions is you allow yourself to get on the field in many different ways, and you know, being able to help this team and play out there every day has been It's been a lot of fun.
Speaker 5: It's been a new challenge for me and really embracing it.
Speaker 1: You know about the best place to buy, sell, trade, or look for that special card in your world. It's called Arena Club and aer Kratz just went through a little slab pack experience and.
Speaker 2: You went big. You went for the Ruby Pack. I love it.
Speaker 7: I love clicking on the Ruby Pack and knowing that we're going to open something that is going to be epic. H I got a cal Rican Junior autographed one of forty two. I'm keeping it right now, but I would love to have it in my hands, so I might even have them send it to me already graded everything taking care for me.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: You want to hang it up and stare at it all day, go for it. But if you're in there to get something else or to sell.
Speaker 2: It away, you can do that.
Speaker 1: They've got the buyback program, or you can put it on the marketplace yourself. Tons of options. This is where the best cards live. It's arenaclub dot com. Slash foul and use the code foul for twenty percent off your first slab pack, or if you'd like to purchase a card, twenty percent off your first card purchase again Arena club dot com slash f o U L use code f o U L.
Speaker 6: So I got a gyues no question, and then I'll ask the real question I want. Do you naturally hate the Dodgers? Now since you're on the padres.
Speaker 5: I enjoy the rivalry. I enjoy.
Speaker 2: That.
Speaker 6: I love that political answer. I'll take it, no worries. How how are you guys gonna get over the hump this team, the Dodger's been struggling. It's always a battle against them, but they always seem to come out on top of the division or what have you in the playoffs. You know, not to bring up bad things and what's been going on over the recent years. How do you guys get over the hump here and get through to this dog your team and make a run. Because last year, my partner here, Scotty, thought you guys would have won the whole thing if you would have won those last two games last year. So talk to you about how you guys finally get over the hump here and finally beat the Dodgers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm excited for the challenge.
Speaker 4: You know, obviously on paper they are what they are, and you know, obviously we're not going to shy away from because we have a lot of star Town as well. And you know, I think that you know, our our pitching has been extremely good this year, our hitters are We're starting to pick it up and get it going. And you know, obviously at the deadline with with Peller and the way he does business, anything can happen. But you know, we got Michael King coming back hopefully soon, and you know, our team's really line it up to be special. So you know, I think that, you know, the biggest thing is is not worry about other teams and just kind of control what you can control and go out every day and put stack wins up and see what happens. But you know, obviously the Dodgers are the head of the pack right now, and you know, we're excited to, uh see what happens in this next sprint.
Speaker 1: I think you nailed it with the inclusion of Prowler in that sentence.
Speaker 2: So this is one of the.
Speaker 1: Premier Gunslinger executives in the game, which is fun for I would say basically everyone, right, it's fun for players when you get some help. It's fun for fans to follow really of the entire sport. We want more trades activity, and he's always making phone calls. He is more aggressive than most. So during this time period we're ten days away from the trade deadline. Do you get a little fandom in you in a good way where you're keeping track of the rumors and the reports. Are you one of those people that are checking the phone obviously? I know most club basses now have the guys in the phones a lot. Is that happening over these ten days here? And this is different. This is different from the White Sox days, where the phone checking is probably in a different way like uh trade.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, it is. It is completely different.
Speaker 4: I remember in twenty three sitting with Lance and a couple guys and by thirty minutes later they're all off the team. So this is this is a little different now. But yeah, I've never seen you know, I've never seen Preller not.
Speaker 5: On the phone.
Speaker 4: So think we're always kind of looking around and you know, I know from just looking around the league when when I was with the White Sox, you always look to see what the Padres do because you know he's aggressive and you know he wants to win.
Speaker 5: I think it's great for baseball.
Speaker 4: I think you see now there's so much parody around the league and so many teams that are in it, and you know, obviously at the trade deadline, anything can happened, and teams bolster up around the league. And I think it's an exciting time for fans. I think it's exciting time for baseball. And you know, we'll see what happens with us.
Speaker 3: Hey, like you said, I know it broke your heart when I got traded from the White Sox years ago, and you're like I heard you're like the lost puppy running around the playpass, didn't know who to follow or anything like that. That being said, now you get to play every day and you know you're in the lineup. Is that hurt the golf game cause we're not getting to play much or what are we working with?
Speaker 5: It's definitely, it's definitely hurt the golf game a little bit in a good way.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: It's, uh, this is probably the least I've ever played. You know, I missed it a little bit. I got to play a couple of times in the road days. But you know, between playing every day and the baby, now it's it's gonna be off season.
Speaker 3: Only it looks like, yeah, you're finally grown up. Now it's good for you.
Speaker 5: Yeah it feels good.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I still still enjoy taking money from you on the on the course, but that can always wait till the off season.
Speaker 3: Hey, that was Graveman. Don't get us confused. You always took it from Graveman.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: So I've got a few fan questions. This is a perfect one to start with because it involves Lance as well. So we can get Lance on the screen for this one too. Let's four box it. Okay, So Mike g said, for Gavin, how would he how would he approach that bad against prime Lance Lynn? And how would Lynn try to get him out? So we'll let Gavin.
Speaker 5: Well, I think we can.
Speaker 4: I think we can pull up the tape last year of our bats, he threw me a two oh change up with the guy that throws ninety percent heater. So you talk about the fear factor already, but I think there was a double down the left field line, and uh yeah, I actually had him sign the ball that you know said I was one for two of the walk and I put on their two oh change up on their well.
Speaker 5: So I had that sitting in my house at home.
Speaker 3: The question was Prime, Right, we're not talking last year in your career and missing a couple of hamstring tender.
Speaker 4: Look, I just I just saw the Saint Louis Cardinals jersey on, so I just figured it was Prime Lancelne.
Speaker 3: Wow, Yeah, you know, no, right he did? He shot a sinker. You know he's hitting fourth. He late barrels, slapped the ball down the left field line, so you know, yeah, a little bit of a slappy, but you know that's kind of fits his mold. That's he was a platoon guy back then too, So you gotta slap. You gotta get your knox just to hope you get in the line up the next day. So I get it. But you got Prime. Let's go to Texas, right, Todd? Prime? When you're just when I'm punching tickets, it's just four seems.
Speaker 2: Buy him up.
Speaker 3: Top all day long, and then every and then cut her in hard, let him hook it foul, Yeah, let him hook it foul. Thinks he's on it, and then it's buy him again up top.
Speaker 2: Oh my, So he's not catching up to the one up here, all.
Speaker 3: Right, and he's gonna he's gonna keep trying to get to it too, but he just gets it. It gets a little here, he gets a little here.
Speaker 2: He can't do it. That gets.
Speaker 4: This brings back to all of our clubhouse back and forth, and I do miss it.
Speaker 5: I do miss it.
Speaker 2: It's all good. It's all good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, I'll get you another one. This from Chris Fan. Question Gavin, what's uh? Basically asked, what's what's the diet at this point in your life to kind of keep you fresh throughout a whole season? And what have you learned about that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I think the biggest thing for me is just you know, this year, especially playing out there every day, especially in left field, has just been you know, sticking on all the proteins and just recovery. It's been more recovery than I've ever done in my career. And you know, just a lot of protein cars before the game and then you know, hydrating up and getting ready for the next day. Especially right now we're on this East Coast swing and and the heat and humidity has been has been tough. So yeah, recovering more than ever and being conscious what you're putting in.
Speaker 1: Okay, I got one more for me. Back to the White Sox days again, are you keeping in touch with a lot of the guys there? Like you know, obviously you're not there anymore, and you mentioned it was good times when you had Lance there, But do you keep in touch now? Is more of a veteran right You've got dirt and your spikes in the league to provide even just motivation to some of the guys that are trying to find their footing or obviously going through hard times in terms of wins and losses.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's funny. I don't know many of the guys there now, you know. I know some of the pitchers, and obviously Ben and Tendi and I are really close and Luis Robert, but a lot of the guys are new and you know, I still stay in touch with a lot of staff. I love the staff there now, and you know, some of the guys been reaching out to me and congratulating me on just the years so far. But you know, there's been a lot of turnover there. I've been in touch with Vonnie a lot. I love to see what he's doing in Milwaukee. Really happy for him, and uh, you know, just just some of the guys. Obviously Ben in tending and I stay in touch a lot, but you know, a lot of the guys there young, and you know, it's an exciting, you know, exciting quarter that they're running out there right now. And you know, I know they have a lot of pitching coming up for him as well. So there's just been a lot of turnover there. And but I you know, it's I spend a lot of time there, and I wish nothing but the best for those guys.
Speaker 6: All right, last question overall here. I want to get Padre love here because I love watching you guys play. I love the personalities on your team. Talk to us a little bit about Tatis Machado, who's a guy in that clubhouse that you you nobody would understand, how funny, how just funny the dude is, like, talk to us about some of those personalities, like a guy everybody like, no way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think, uh man, it's it's such a fun clubhouse, just the brand that we play and the fun that we have in there.
Speaker 5: But you know, for me, it's Luisa Rias you know he is.
Speaker 4: He's hilarious and just the energy he brings and and just the behind the scenes. He's been a ton of fun to play with. Obviously, playing against in the Minnesota I could see some of that, but being around him every day has been has been a blast. But just seeing you know, Manny behind the scenes and just the work he puts in and playing every single day and playing through the aches and pains, and you know, just just not worrying about it, just going out there every day and and playing. And I don't think he's missed a game this year, so so seeing him and Toddy the way they go about their business. But you know, just the behind the scenes funny guys is Luisa Ryas for sure.
Speaker 2: It's fun to watch too.
Speaker 1: That's a very different player from you.
Speaker 2: Ever try hitting like him?
Speaker 5: Just I couldn't. I couldn't do it.
Speaker 4: I watched him in the cage and it's impressive. But I think i'd be out this league pretty quick if I tried to.
Speaker 2: Hit like.
Speaker 3: I could get him. I could not get him out.
Speaker 5: It's crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, well, Gavin, this was awesome man. Thanks for stopping by for Lance's FT hosting debut.
Speaker 2: How do you do?
Speaker 5: Wouldn't miss it?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: I love that Savana Banana's shirt on him too. That was fun team out there high pants. I don't think those high pants are your look. But other than that, I thought it was.
Speaker 2: Pretty cooor.
Speaker 3: Is either that or mid Casts, But the Midcasts might have been a place since I am retired, that's a retirement look true.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was certainly a retirement.
Speaker 2: Look there you go.
Speaker 3: I retired for a couple of years.
Speaker 5: Appreciate you guys a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you man. We'll talk see Thank you guy. Brother