Speaker 1: Welcome to future future production of iHeartRadio. I'm your host of Many Parasites, Katie Golden. I studied psychology and evolutionary biology, and today on the show, we are talking about animals who explode. That's right, our very own Creatureheimer, in honor of the Oppenheimer movie. Of course, last week we did a Barbie episode about pink animals. This week we're doing an episode about animals who explode, from tiny explosions to an actual World War two story. All these animals are blowing up literally in credible discover this and more as we discover the age old question what's the pond of death? Joining me today is my friend friend of the show, writer, director and podcaster Adam Ganzer.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome. I love the even nature bows to the zeitgeist. Yeah, animals must be trend.
Speaker 1: Animals gotta be on trend. They gotta know they do what's trending on the socials, on threads, Blue Sky, whatever that other website is. You know what we're calling whatever we're calling the Internet these days, But yes we are. We're we're doing a We're doing a Barbenheimer of course. This week is the Heimer part of the Barbenheimer, because we're talking about exploding animals, Adam, how do you feel about explosions?
Speaker 2: About explosions? I was raised in America, and therefore I instinctively pump my fists anytime I see it, right, even when it's a truly tragic situation, and I.
Speaker 1: Still Adam Ganzer actually kind of likes war crimes. He's into it.
Speaker 2: Listen, I've been socialized this way.
Speaker 1: Nothing as much, right, Nothing you can't there's nothing you can do about it. We have fireworks, we have fireworks. We cheer for fireworks. How are we not supposed to cheer for war crimes?
Speaker 2: Right? Right? Our song, our national anthem, is literally about.
Speaker 1: Exploding bombs bursting in. Yeah, we're helpless, and we're helpless in the face of jingoism, truly. So some animals do indeed explode, and we're going to talk about some many explosions that are very interesting, very weird, little gross, uh, somewhat tragic, maybe so.
Speaker 2: Great, maybe I don't know.
Speaker 1: So some ants like to pull a bit of an Oppenheimer, which is a new sentence in the English language. So ants like to use themselves as tiny chemical warfare bombs. So there are a couple of species of ants that do this are C. Sounder sea and see explodins, which you know, good job of the scientific name for that one.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, right to the point direct.
Speaker 1: These are two related species of exploding ants. They are found in Southeast Asia and they quite literally have an explosive temper. They will rupture their own abdomen, releasing a small explosion of sticky, yellow toxic fluid when they are disturbed. So yes, they do not the explosion this kills the ant. The ants does not survive rupturing its own abdomen. It's much like a bee where it stings and its butt kind of falls off. It is the ultimate defensive technique. So they have glands that run through their entire body that is stilled with this horrible yellow goo. When they encounter an invader ant or a predator, they will suddenly and sharply contract their abdomen, which ruptures the gland, which basically causes them to burst like a little gusher and all of this sticky toxic goop comes out and sprays all over the their.
Speaker 2: Target like a like a delicious dangerous tree.
Speaker 1: Yes, next time you, yeah, next time you pop a gusher in your mouth. Just imagine it's an ant doing the ultimate sacrifice.
Speaker 2: That it's dying to defend its colony whilst you enjoy its screamy go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, except don't eat these. I advise against it, right because yeah, it's not it's not delicious, uh gushery goodness. It is toxic and corrosive.
Speaker 2: I I'm well, I mean, can I ask a couple? I have Yeah, questions the way what what? What? What predator needs these gusher ants to to be deterred? Like what are they deterring?
Speaker 1: So they're mostly deterring other ants. So if ants are attacking their colony, they can very easily attack these ants. Uh, and basically deterring most other like small it would be other insects essentially, like once you get to bird size, this technique doesn't work very well because the bird's just it's too big.
Speaker 2: Right, they like and they'll they'll develop a taste.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you just watch it's gushers to birds.
Speaker 2: They exactly have you have they tried diplomacy in their evolved state? Have they tried evolving diplomacy instead of this? They tried?
Speaker 1: Yeah, just like they've evolved tiny hands to shake with the other ants.
Speaker 2: It's amazing that it's two other ants. Yeah, that's my favorite part of this.
Speaker 1: It's other. It can be other species of ants, other colonies of you know, like well, actually, I guess I've never seen anything about if the same species gets into fights, because then you just have a big goopy mess of these exploding all over each other.
Speaker 2: And is it corrosive to them? Like if they touch the goo, are they corroded? You know what I mean? Like is it toxic? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they avoid it, okay, And like the one that explodes is already gonna die. So it's no skin off, right, broken back, Yeah, it's exoskeleton. Yeah. So this goo is very sticky. It slows their movements, and it's corrosive, so it kind of dissolves them as well. So it's not great to get on you.
Speaker 2: Is it bright yellow?
Speaker 1: It is yellow?
Speaker 2: Is it yellow the way I'm imagining it?
Speaker 1: It is?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it's like these colors sometimes, you know, like the toxic colors. It's like, yes, that is indeed toxic. It's kind of like I mean, I guess this is a little bit less like an Oppenheimer and more like that guy in the end of Doctor Strangelove. Who rides the nuke, because you know.
Speaker 2: That's exactly it, wohooing his way into disaster exactly. Uh, it's funny to me that it's in Nickelodeon colors. Yeah, I mean I shouldn't say funny, more like, uh, twisted, Like there's a twisted aspect that it looks cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's kind of yellow, little yellow goop, right, Yeah, you kind of like so when you see it happening, it's not like a little like mushroom cloud explosion type thing. You just kind of see an ant wrestling with another ant and then suddenly the one of the ants is like covered in yellow goo and the other ant looks kind of like wrong, kind of broken, like a like a like a glow stick that's sick, like a glowstick that's been snapped in half. Yeah. So this act of explosive self destruction is called autothysis. It is a type of altruism that, you know, the very extreme type of altruism.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I'd say it's as altruistic as it gets really yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So it's not just ants that do this. There are actually some species of termites who also do this behavior. So, yeah, soldier termites in the species glossothermes Oculatis will within the confines of their termite colony, grab onto an attacker and explode the glands near their head by nearly beheading themselves and forming a rupture between the head and thorax. Then they excrete a yellow goo onto their attacker, which researchers believe is meant to block the tunnels to the colony and sort of fix the attacker. Just glue the attacker into the tunnel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and their kids. I mean, like it's just like what a prank to pull on your kids.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's off your head just pops off. I mean, this does kill the termite's it's hard to survive, sort of like rupturing your own essentially, what's a neck. Uh it's not really a neck, but you know, yeah, so.
Speaker 2: That we accept it as a substitute. It's a next substitute.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, it's the it's the termine equivalent to an ex So the goo acts as a glue and also as an alarm pheromone, alerting the other termites in the colony that there is an intruder. Uh. So, you know, basically like you've popped your own head off like a pez dispenser. You've gooped on this guy and now everyone can smell your goo, and it's like, oh, it looks like like Helen uh found a trespasser.
Speaker 2: The sweet smell of terror. Yeah, we better go the other way, so do I. So I got to assume this happens because creatures are biting their heads off. I got it right. That that makes sense, doesn't it? Why? Why?
Speaker 1: No? Not necessarily the the uh they are just kind of the way that they're beheading themselves is by contracting their muscles.
Speaker 2: So it's sort of a like it's a reflexive thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. So it's like like literally kind of like a pez dispenser flipping its own head back.
Speaker 2: I mean, it is the most funny image I can imagine. Uh, I think, like I I've been thinking about it the whole time I'm talking. And the head squeezing off for goo, pretty funny way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the go I mean, the head I don't think comes completely off. That would be really funny, like a champagne bottle with the head just like but I think it's more just like it's like near the head, like near where the head and the thorax meet. There's like this rupture, and it just kind of like like I don't know, like a little confetti cannon like.
Speaker 2: A movie slit throat like where it just like its sprays everything.
Speaker 1: Right exactly exactly, except this goo is also yellow apparently, which is interesting. I guess yellow is just universal goo color.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the color of poison.
Speaker 1: Insects, color of bad goo.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Can I So termites are basically already corrosive beings, like if I like, just that's how I feel about scientifically, they will destroy everything, Like if they get in your house, they're already basically a tub of yellow goo in your walls, you know what I mean, like just slowly corroding it. So it's wild to me that some species like, no, we can do better. We could, We could, We could go for a y.
Speaker 1: We could be even more irritating by us squeezing goo out of our necks like a tube of tooth exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: It's toothpaste, tube of doom. We can be there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And if you are worried about termites, uh, if you ever find like a pile of like weird little brown like tiny brown pellets that you sweep up and it keeps like reforming you got you got termites. It's called it's called frasts, which is a cute name for an incredibly destructive and horrible problem.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's also a cute way for them to murder themselves with toxic good. They're sort of cute with their benevolent or malicious activities.
Speaker 1: With their self annihilation. It's it is, yeah, the PEZ technique. It's you know, good job, termites.
Speaker 2: I guess can you imagine what if the guy who invented PEZ saw this and was like, I know what I could do right? Candy?
Speaker 1: What if it was shaped like Donald Duck and did candy right?
Speaker 2: What if it had Goofy's head on it and it's still the head still popped off, but out of its neck came pellets of candy. Kids would love that.
Speaker 1: He's just he's taking just let me let me taste mone of these. Let me taste that. He tastes a term He's like, no, this one's no good. I gotta I gotta do something different.
Speaker 2: I think it's not candy enough. We make it look slightly morey.
Speaker 1: It should be made out of sugar instead of toxic goo.
Speaker 2: Very smart, right, yeah, brilliant man.
Speaker 1: We assume well, we are going to take a quick break, and when we get back, we're going to talk about a mystery, a very mysterious mystery, an explosive mystery.
Speaker 2: Wow, yeah, that doesn't sound like how that sounds like a terrible way for a weekend to go, but I'm excited.
Speaker 1: Seems like a terrible way for it to go after you've had some like really spicy food.
Speaker 2: Thank you, You went right where I'm going, same brain over.
Speaker 1: Here, are right? We are back, and we are going to talk about a mystery, the mystery of the thousand exploding toads.
Speaker 2: That one thousand exploding actually over a thousand. That's so that's the low balls, right, that are oh good?
Speaker 1: He was more around one thousand, three hundred. But a thousand exploding toads rolls off the tongue better than a thousand, three hundred exploding toads.
Speaker 2: Okay, and this is a this is a noir caper. I assume, right, we're gonna we're gonna find some darkness in the toad hard or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this actually happened in Hamburg, Germany, in two thousand and five. Okay, Uh, Public officials and scientists were confused because toads just kept on exploding like little toad balloons with a splatter of on trails up to three feet are about a meter away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd be confused by that. Yeah, why are animals becoming balloons of goo? Why is that happening?
Speaker 1: I'd like to Yeah, No, I I feel like that's a real head scratcher. When you got a bunch of toads that are exploding, real real.
Speaker 2: You can't just walk past it. That's the kind of case you get.
Speaker 1: You get drawn in, right right, you make you're making little chalk outlines of just a toad sort of splayed out.
Speaker 2: It's just a big splatter. Yeah, every line of it sort of.
Speaker 1: You know, the goop shape, the wiggly goop shape.
Speaker 2: The splatter happened in here as you so, yeah, and a splatter pattern.
Speaker 1: Yeah, toad splatter experts are actually in high demand. Uh, there's the very highly specialized.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: Yeah, over one thousand toads died this way, so much so that there was a bit of a panic. Uh. Tabloids started calling this area the pond of Death. Uh. People were warned to stay away, into keep their children in pets away in case the pond was full of some kind of mysterious chemical that was causing these toads to explodes. Theories went around that it could be some kind of toad exploding pathogen, it could be a pesticide, maybe even a fungus or pollution. They didn't know. It was scary. Even more puzzling is that there were no eyewitness accounts of the toads exploding. So like you'd think, you know, someone would at least see one of these toads like just randomly popping off, but nobody had seen it.
Speaker 2: This is like seven for the toad culture, right. It's just like, what's at the bottom of this.
Speaker 1: There's a methodology, there is definite m oh adam, Do you have any guesses what could be causing the toad explosions.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna guess the real thing in a second. It thrills me to think of scientists getting together they're impositing what this could be. I just imagine one guy walking into the bicycle pump and just dropping it. I've got it, guys.
Speaker 1: These toads have an inflation fetish and it's not going well.
Speaker 2: A helium tank he just puts it in there. These are kids that went too far.
Speaker 1: It's that scene from Shrek that kids are re enacting, like where you know they like blow up the snake and the toad. I think can make a snake and toad balloon. Remember that that makes sense, it's frem shrack. I always felt really bad for the snake and the toad that got like blown up into a balloon balloons. It seems like that would hurt them and be sad for them.
Speaker 2: It would hurt of it. Also, you get immediately immobilized as a balloon, right you'd think like, oh, balloon sounds fun. Now man, it's basically like body jail. Yeah, you can't go anywhere. You're stuck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, No, I don't like that. That's a panic attack.
Speaker 2: That's one of my nightmare. Yeah, added to the pile. Uh. I'm going to guess that it's a digestive related issue. But they're eating something that's that's uh like something that is the equivalent of baking soda to the vinegar in their stomach or something.
Speaker 1: A Minto's truck and a Coke truck both crashed near the pond.
Speaker 2: There was a surplus of high school volcano prize yes that year that we're all being dumped in the lakes.
Speaker 1: Yes, I don't know, so uh, you know, or could it have been some kind of secret government toad exploding experiment, like.
Speaker 2: I mean, the only other conclusion, right, exactly, the only other option.
Speaker 1: Well, apparently the leading theory as to what happened is murderous crows. So toad expert doctor Frank Muschmann believed that crows were carefully cutting open the toad's toxic skin and selectively plucking out the toads livers based on these small incision marks that doctor Mutschmann found on the toads.
Speaker 2: His name is Mushmann Musmann, so not not mush not mush Man.
Speaker 1: Not mush Man.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm not making fun of his name, just say it would have been amazing if his name.
Speaker 1: Is Mushman, and it would be I would I would definitely love there to be a doctor Mushman who studies toads, you know, just.
Speaker 2: A suggest destiny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so uh. The reason it would then explode, right, is that toads have this behavior when they are attacked, they will puff up, so they like inflate themselves with air to appear bigger, to look you know, not very snackable something that could not easily be swallowed, something that couldn't be easily attacked. Uh. But these toads. Uh, it was theorized that they had an incision in the from the crows basically doing a liver ectomy and eating the liver. And because they had a hole in it, it's like they would fill themselves with air. But then that would just force all their organs out of the hole. Oh no, like again, like a tube of toothpaste. Uh, you know, like a balloon full of organs. I don't know, I just imagine you're squeezing a bunch of organs out of a hole by pushing air into the toad.
Speaker 2: I mean it's yeah, that's amazing. And also like that's actually somehow the saddest thing I've heard so.
Speaker 1: Far, I know, just like you trying to defend itself but then it accidentally uh you know.
Speaker 2: It's it just shoots, it just squeezes out. Its organs are popping out there like they're popcornans.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's yeah, it's like silly string but out of a toad. Just terrible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the string is like vital organs.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly. Well, some scientists weren't satisfied with this theory. Crow behavioral researcher, who I believe is just a crow apologist, doctor Miriam Sima, believed that crows were not behind the attacks and that crows would not be so picky as to only eat the livers that like the crow, would eat the rest of the organs as well. But my counterpoint, as a non expert to this expert's opinion is that crows are smart, and smart animals can be jerks sometimes, right, Like I think because it like it happened in like two thousand and five, and it would happened in this localized area, I feel like it was just a few crows who were doing this. Yeah, yeah, who learned that livers taste good and that they can selectively grab the liver and just chow that down. Because there is this more recent case of orcas, the two orcas who went on a killing spree eating just the livers of sharks. So oh again, like Orca's very smart, crows very smart. What happens when someone gets too smart they start eating livers. It's the hannibal lecter phenomenon.
Speaker 2: Yep, they find out about key ant, they got a whole thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. I mean, Einstein probably ates some livers. I'm you know, like, uh, Elon Musk not eating livers because I don't think he's very smart.
Speaker 2: He's rejecting liver every time somebody offers it to him, which is all the time. He's just never, never even eating pete.
Speaker 1: He's just burning himself trying to make pop tarts. I read. I read that excerpt from there was a book about I guess SpaceX in the early years, and apparently Elon Musk kept burning himself because he was trying to take pop tarts out of the toaster. Anyways, what are the chances that crow Doctor is just a.
Speaker 2: Bunch of crows and a lab coat? Hmm I greater than zero?
Speaker 1: Right, It's yeah, plausible, plausible, Yeah, plausible, passible, plausible, scientifically plab not proven, but plausible. It can't be libel because I'm saying it hasn't been proven. I'm just saying it's plausible, correct. So yeah, I I I think that there was like a few crows that were doing this, uh, two thousands of toads just like and I'll take this liver and that'll be mine, and yeah, just like they each time yin yeah, and crows can talk, so they can probably say yoink right, so uh yeah, liver is also very nutritious. So I feel like these were just like gormond crows that uh learned to appreciate the taste of toad liver and did not really care that the toads exploded or thought it was funny.
Speaker 2: I could see them it was funny, yeah, because honestly, it does seem like a funny image.
Speaker 1: It is kind of actually funny. I mean, I feel really bad for the toads. Obviously, I'm a toad fan. I think they're cute. It's still a little bit funny for that to happen. Like you pluck out the liver and then this toad just inflates until it explodes. It's you gotta admit, there's a certain grim humor in that.
Speaker 2: You pluck a liver out, it puffs up, and then you just start seeing kidneys spitting out of it like there like somebody threw a stone from their stomach.
Speaker 1: It's like the crow equivalent of getting one thing out of a vending machine. But then it knocks down a whole bunch of other things, right, and.
Speaker 2: All shoots out and the crows like, man, we figured everything out. We figured everything out. This is our xanadu, the pond of death or whatever, that's that's our Zena.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just like if crows figure out the secret way to make like pluck something out of humans that make us explode, like we're in for it.
Speaker 2: Lord, yeah, good lord. They won't stop doing it either. Yeah, Like those crows didn't learn anything.
Speaker 1: No, they didn't learn a lesson.
Speaker 2: They didn't learn anything.
Speaker 1: They learn well, they did learn something that it's really funny and good total livers.
Speaker 2: From toads, liver good, explosion better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that they learned exactly. Yeah, Well, we are going to take a quick break, but when we return, we are going to talk about a real World War two story involving exploding animals. So we're going to talk about a World War two story involving exploding animals. And I promise this is not as horrifying as it sounds. I mean it is a little horrifying. It's a little bit so it's kind of funny. It's a little bit.
Speaker 2: I promise tragic, it's kind of funny.
Speaker 1: It's you know, it's one of I would say. I mean, World War two is generally not a funny topic hot take. Generally, generally it's not funny. Generally it's horrifying. This is one of the funnier World War two stories. So unless unless you're a big fan of Rats, which personally I actually am. So I feel conflicted about this story because it's funny, but I feel really bad for the Rats.
Speaker 2: But it's not like Hogan's hero is funny. No, it's it's more of a grounded humor.
Speaker 1: It's it's more of a gallows humor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, kind of yeah, I'm excited, not a.
Speaker 1: Haha funny, it's a oh all right, all right.
Speaker 2: Laughter, laughter, heels, I'll wove.
Speaker 1: Yeah, take a take a stiff sip of brandy and sort of exhale sharply out of your nose funny. So yeah, to cap off our Creature Heimer episode, let's talk about World War Two. So arguably, just as consequential as Oppenheimer's work on the nuclear bomb was the effort to create another type of super weapon, the explosive rat. Of course, I'm joking, it was not nearly as consequential as the nuclear bomb, because we aren't, you know, currently sort of in a world dominated by mutually assured rat destruction.
Speaker 2: That we know of, that we know of that, we know that.
Speaker 1: But maybe it's the rats pulling all the strings.
Speaker 2: Dude, honestly knowing what I know about crows. Now, No, rats are just as smart as crows. Yeah, they're just they're just flightless crows.
Speaker 1: Really pretty much there. Yeah, rats are quite smart, which makes this a little sadder. Uh So, during World War Two, British special operations got their hands on a bunch of rats. Okay, okay, it's so far. Good job, guys.
Speaker 2: I enjoyed the idea of the transaction to get that, right, but fair enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, just like Jerio, I will need five hundred rats if you please, right, for a country.
Speaker 2: Some government officials like you know, sequestering it or whatever, for some guy in a back alley. Yeah, I'll need all your rats.
Speaker 1: Yeah, keep calm and give me five hundred.
Speaker 2: Routs and give me rats, and give.
Speaker 1: Me rats all of your ruts. So sadly they killed the rats. Rest in peace, uh, little dudes, gone before your time. An unjust and unjust and to these poor little rats. Then they taxi dermied them and they sewed a small amount of explosives inside of them okay because they were Look, you know, while Oppenheimer was working on his little nuclear bomb, the British were really getting down to the the hot the higher sciences, the more esoteric sciences of what if we sowed some explosives inside of dead rats?
Speaker 2: Yeah? What if we jokered some rats? Yeah? What if we joker bombed a couple of rats?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: Okay, right right? Yeah? What if it's like that scene and breaking bad with that guy's head on a tortoise, except its rats and there accept it and there's no message, it's just rats.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So you might be wondering why you would put explosives inside a rat, how you would use a rat bomb. Well, the idea was this, Uh, if these rats were planted in factories, trains, or power stations, they would presumably be disposed of by the German by being shoveled into the boiler or furnace. Because it's like you find a dead rat, You're not gonna give it a little rat burial, You're just gonna throw it in the furnace, burn it, and that would cause an explosion and sabotage the boiler. And if the boiler fails, that might cause a larger explosion. So it's like, maybe it's real.
Speaker 2: This, this is a this is a this is kind of a Rube Goldberg device of a plan. Here.
Speaker 1: It's it's a little bit like that game mouse Trap, except it's it's a German trap, but the bait is dead rats.
Speaker 2: And all of them are mice. Everything they have to do is mice similar to get the trap to go off. I don't know, man, Yeah, not sure about this plan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a it's a bit of a stretch, right, Like it's it's a bit of a weird plan, Like, how do you know they're gonna throw it in the furnace? How do you know? Like it's the explosion is going to be big enough to actually sabotage the whole factory or train. Well, we'll never know how successful they might have been because the Germans intercepted the shipment of exploding rats right away.
Speaker 2: Ah, so that is another amazing twist in the story. And they're like, we could use these rats.
Speaker 1: Well, it's interesting because the rats sacrifice was not completely in vain. Apparently the threat of exploding rats was potentially more effective at inconveniencing the Germans than if the rats had actually been successfully deployed, because German military command became kind of paranoid that there were more exploding rats out there and had to use their resources to try to find the other exploding rats and get to the bottom of these exploding rats.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Unbeknownst to them, as soon as this first shipment of rats was intercepted, British Special Operations just gave They just dropped it.
Speaker 2: They're like, fuck, maybe the rat. Maybe this whole thing's been bad.
Speaker 1: Maybe, now that I reflect upon things, maybe explosive rats was not the genius idea that'll win this war. They just dropped.
Speaker 2: Perhaps perhaps trip wires would be more effective, or just putting bombs there already.
Speaker 1: Perhaps pigeons with spikes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, let's get a really big bomb and drop that on them instead.
Speaker 1: What about a really really large rat with a bomb inside of it.
Speaker 2: Now you're talking Humphrey exploding. They started sewing rats together to make a super rat.
Speaker 1: Rat parachute, parachute made out of rats rat aeroplane. So, yeah, they gave up. But so there were no more exploding rats. But the Germans wasted a bunch of resources trying to find more exploding rats, trying to figure out what the whole plan is with the exploding rats. Certainly it couldn't be as simple as them just sending the shipment of exploding rats. So they wasted a bunch of time trying to like basically go on this red this, this red herring, this like trying to figure out what was going on with the exploding rats when really it was as stupid as it seemed and unsuccessful as it seemed. But the Germans were like, they must be up to something really insidious with these exploding rats, and we've got to figure that out. They waste all the time.
Speaker 2: Is this is extraordinarily funny. I know, if you understood how funny this is. Like I'm like, in my brain, I'm like, this is such a great comedy movie. Like just one guy's obsessed with I can make bombs and rats, and everyone's like a bad idea, dude, super bad idea. He's like, just give me a battalion of guys a couple million pounds, you'll see, right. Fails immediately. But then of course the Germans get very worried and they start to you know, mutually assured rat destruction. As you said, he writes itself. It's a perfect movie.
Speaker 1: This is I don't understand why very funny, why Quentin Tarantino didn't make this movie.
Speaker 2: Right after his final film, this tenth film about a movie critic. How about rat bombs? Right, you know, rat bomber. Let's make that.
Speaker 1: I know that basically all of Hollywood is on strike, so I'm not gonna be I'm not going to be a scab. But what like, Look, you need to cave to the requests of the writers because we need this rat movie. We need it.
Speaker 2: We have rat bombers, we need it. We need it. It would heal the world, it would.
Speaker 1: So please give the writers and the actors fair living wages because I need the exploding rat movie.
Speaker 2: That's right, And play this on a loop during the Academy Awards conversation right where we talked about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, yeah, do that. Maybe, oh, exploding rats in the Awards but they're not real. But okay, okay, okay, back up, they're not really exploding rats because of course we don't want to hurt anyone, but just the idea that there could be exploding rats might make it might make it less likely for someone to cross the picket line. I'm just saying, you never know when a rat might explode.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's the that's the feeling we want movie audiences to have. Yeah, every rat as your enemy.
Speaker 1: Now, yeah, you know that was in that movie like with Matt Damon and uh Leonardo DiCaprio Departed. Yeah, I just remember as the rat movie. But yes, the Departed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's did you know, by the way, that they didn't have the final shot with the rat when they first shot that movie. The editor told Scorsese, you need you need this last thing, you need the rat at the end, and they shot it in pickups.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 2: That's what I've heard. I've heard that they.
Speaker 1: Just call up this rat actor at three and it's like, yeah, what do you need a Yeah, you got a movie? You want me to all time? I all right, serving coffee, okay, I'll come.
Speaker 2: Finally it's rats time to shine. Yeah, that's what I heard. I don't you know, I can't. I wasn't there, so I don't don't.
Speaker 1: I did. I did laugh, uh involuntarily when that popped up, because like I was enthralled by the movie and really into it. And then as soon as they zoomed out and showed us a rat. I just like it was.
Speaker 2: Come on, I get it, I get it, bro, I get the idea.
Speaker 1: But if the rat had exploded.
Speaker 2: Then whole other idea greatest movie all time maybe.
Speaker 1: And then then they could end with like the end dot dot dot question mark.
Speaker 2: Exactly right, the only, the only appropriate ending.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we don't know that rats were exactly Well. I think we've covered as many exploding animals I can take without starting to spiral into an existential crisis about you know, rat assured destruction.
Speaker 2: I'm going to cry for two hours after this podcast, just.
Speaker 1: For every single toad that exploded. Those poor toads. Don't care as much about the termites.
Speaker 2: No, I think of them as evil and their death as a victory for me.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you think about it, though, they used to just eat trees, but then we turn the trees into houses, So what are they going to do?
Speaker 2: That's true. I'm going to refuse to think about that.
Speaker 1: No introspection, think you Well, before we go, we've got to play a little game, Adam, do you like games?
Speaker 2: Sure? And then a rat opens like.
Speaker 1: Would you like to play a little game?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd love to.
Speaker 1: You just open a present. There's a rat inside, and inside the rat there's a smaller present, and inside that present there's a bomb. Yep, So we are going to play a game called Guess Who's squawking? The Mystery Animal Sound game?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Every week I play Mystery Animal sound and you the listener, and you the guests, try to guess who was making that sound? Can he any animal in the world. Last week's mystery animal sound hint was this don't get too cocky. You may have to think further back to get this one right. So adam any guesses.
Speaker 2: So, just to be clear, the hint was for this animal.
Speaker 1: Yes, don't get too cocky. You may have to think further back to get this one right.
Speaker 2: Because I mean, it sounds like a rooster. But it's not that. It's some you say, further bat to get this one right.
Speaker 1: Further back.
Speaker 2: Okay, so it's not.
Speaker 1: The common phrase further bat.
Speaker 2: That's what I was. What is this a Batman riddle?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: What exactly?
Speaker 1: And tower me this what became before the chicken and the egg? Ah, that would have been a better hint. What became before the chicken and the egg?
Speaker 2: That Batman Mmm, I'm gonna go ahead and guess that that you mean further back, like on the evolutionary scale, and say this is this is some kind of lizard, kind of That's what I'm gonna guess. Everything else in me is saying, no, Adam, no chance it's a lizard. But I'm gonna go ahead and I'm trusting your hint on this one.
Speaker 1: Some kind of lizard.
Speaker 2: No, you're wrong, No, it's so wrong.
Speaker 1: Congratulations to Jack M, Joey P. And Grant W for all guessing correctly. There red jungle fowl. So, the red jungle fowl is a tropical species of bird that lives in Southeast Asia. When you look at one, it might seem kind of familiar. It looks very similar to a rooster. It is smaller and more brightly colored than a rooster or a chicken. But around eight thousand years ago the jungle fowl was domesticated and it's spread across the world, and it's speciated into chickens and roosters, the ones that we know as are lovely farm animals.
Speaker 2: So I was right about it being an ancestor, yes, but wrong about how far back to Yeah.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, if you had guessed dinosaur instead of lizard, you'd technically be correct because birds are still birds are still technically dinosaurs. So if you're like, maybe it's a dinosaur, I would have had to give it to you.
Speaker 2: Which is which would have been even sillier for me to say, because how would you have a recording of a dinosaur? But okay, sure sure.
Speaker 1: Uh sadly, Adam, you were wrong, So this pile of dead rats shall not be going home with you.
Speaker 2: You must now pick which rat is the one you must open. Yeah, we have lots of rat jokes today.
Speaker 1: Well we're really we're really leaning into the rat jokes. Well, onto this week's mystery animal. Sound the hint. She may seem to have a tough exterior, but Betsy here doesn't like to be bothered.
Speaker 2: Sh sh hear that. Yeah, yeah, any guesses should have a tough exterior, but Betsy here doesn't like See father, and I thought I was gonna get a cow.
Speaker 1: Quol or something.
Speaker 2: Uh, pounce up the bird. Uh, I'm gonna guess it's uh some kind of like it's it's related to an ostrich.
Speaker 1: Interesting related to an ostrich some kind of rath type bird. Well maybe you're right, maybe you're wrong. I can't say, because we will reveal the answer on next week's episode of Creature Feature. If you think you know the answer to this week's mystery animial sound, you can write to me at Creature Future product gmail dot com. And hey, if you have any other questions or comments or whatever, you can also email me. I won't be mad. Uh and Adam, Where can people find you?
Speaker 2: Uh? Well, I'm definitely gonna stay on X Where do you find Uh? You can find me on X X way yeah, uh at the real game. I'm also on every other social media site, including Hive still somehow at the real gans and you know, you can find my Twitch channel saying. And my podcasts are mostly on a Patreon called small Beams, where I do talks about directing and about lots of other movie related stuff, video games, all kinds of stuff. Come check me out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, check it out small beans and every single like, I don't know, there's twenty social media's now that we've all got to be on simultaneously. And somehow I.
Speaker 2: Do check I check Blue Sky. I'm still checking threads. I don't know. I don't know. We'll see about threads I'm just and hive is just funny.
Speaker 1: To me at this one. I'm so tired.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's not good, None of it's good. It's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I need I need like an army of exploding toads to manage all these social media accounts. I don't know how they'll do it.
Speaker 2: But I need a crow to selectively rip out X's liver. Yeah, final explodes, and we can just.
Speaker 1: Tell the crows they're delicious livers inside of our keyboards, and then they can post on all these websites exactly. Well, thank you guys so much for listening. If you're enjoying the show and you leave a rating and review, I greatly greatly appreciate that. I literally read every single review, and all the ratings really do matter a lot to me because they help the podcast appear decent to other people. And thanks to the Space Cossics for their super awesome song XO. Lumina Creature features a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts like the one you just heard, Visita I Heart Radio app Apple Podcast or Kisabeth forbby you listen to your favorite shows the next Wednesday