Speaker 1: It's time the big a q a A to b a q a, which is saying to the big q a Mandy, the big a q A different day to.
Speaker 2: B a q a a.
Speaker 3: A little reggae flavor.
Speaker 1: This is my question answers. You have questions, We have some answers. Although we are not your mama, your cousin.
Speaker 2: We are just your internet friends.
Speaker 1: So we're not your attorney, financial advisor, doctor, any of those things a k a.
Speaker 2: The people that you pay for advice. That's who you should lean into. Which is a little bit of salt on that meal, just just a little sprinkle, so see your grandma, not us. Okay. Our lawyer friends love when we say that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we have consulted them and they take But today is my data, shine, y'all, career question to day.
Speaker 2: Let's t read the questions because if you said you got to I got to get something.
Speaker 3: Man to he goes, take a stretch, break, take a nap.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Nah, you know Tiffany has tons to always add to the convo. But we are taking y'all's career questions, and you want to submit questions, whether it be career, business, relationships, dating. We know some things hit us up. Hit us up at Brown Ambition Podcast on i G. He can send us a d M. You can also email us Brown Ambision Podcast at gmail dot com. We love getting y'all's questions, and while you're at it, leave us a review too, because if you can type a question out, you can type a review. That's just a fact. All right, all right, tip, can we get the first question?
Speaker 1: Please?
Speaker 3: Me?
Speaker 2: Me, me me, I'm just gonna be reading questions today. Man, it's gonna be answering me me, me, me want Maana White.
Speaker 1: This question is for Duke from Duke because that's not his real name, but they said the leader's.
Speaker 2: Name is Hey. I've been a listener for years. I wanted to ask a question. Leave my name out, so it's just going to call you Duke.
Speaker 1: Duke says, how do you deal with getting a raise at a job when they don't discuss it with you before you find out it's happening. I'm stuck with what just I'm stuck with just take what we gave you, or do I have options to advocate for more? So my raise is more of an oops adjustment to my info being wrong, and there's systems years of service experience and whatnot. I'm still up for a merit raise that comes up in June, but I just found out randomly, in my words, oh are bad. We have been playing you all these years, and until we upgraded the system and people put their own information into it, it would have never been changed.
Speaker 2: Duke, thank you for all y'all do black this.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's a little bit confusing at the end when he's trying to say as far as like the them and people putting their own info into it. However, this is really familiar to me. And on the one hand, I'm like, oh, kudos to your company from making a change when they saw that there was something amiss. But I also understand how it can feel as an employee to get the news that you have basically been underpaid, you said, for several years at this point, which would you know, I don't know how much the adjustment was for you. Maybe it was a couple hundred dollars or whatnot, but you can start to spiral, you know, into thinking about all what you could have done with that money over the years, and what it means that you haven't been paid your worth and that really sucks. As far as like negotiating it. They've already done that work behind the scenes, and at that point it's been decided for you, like, okay, based on this new system that we've got for compensation, we're going to be making compensation adjustments. And compensation adjustments are basically when the company itself is saying we're either underpaying this person or they're not in line with like this new if they can come out with a new way of describing their their pay bands or in this case, it sounds like years of service play a different role in you know, calculating compensation than it had in the past. So they're like, we're just gonna square everybody up so we're all on the same page and then we can move forward from that same page. And you've seen I have heard of some companies also in the wake of twenty twenty doing some work to identify racial pay gaps, which is entirely on the company and the people working behind the scenes at that company to find out because if you have been employed, you you know, got hired recently, they don't ask you for your racial information. So it's really people because or their your ethnicity. It's like not required of a company to track that kind of thing unless they really want to. So companies or gender for that matter as well. So companies have to go out of their way to try and see, Okay, where are their pay discrepancies? And then if there are pay discrepancies, what are we going to.
Speaker 2: Do about it?
Speaker 3: So on the one hand, like I said, like I'm glad that they did this work, can you negotiate it at that point? No, because you don't have any of the information. The best you can do is with this experience is think about, Okay, well, I definitely can't trust these moiles moos.
Speaker 2: That's a keep.
Speaker 3: Track of what I'm worth and what I should be getting paid. So I'm going to make it my business to stay in the loop, like be you know, stay in a space where you can understand what your value is in the marketplace. By that, I mean take job interviews and see what other companies are off offering. Regularly scout for job openings that are similar to the role that you have, and especially in states where they actually list the salaries. Now you can see if you're being paid on par with what those salary bands. Are. Find some you know, some trusted colleagues, peers in your space, and find a safe way for y'all to talk about your salaries. You know, be careful of who you speak to, but you definitely can build relationships with folks who will be candid about what they're paid, and so you can stay in the know about your own value because this has shown you that when you leave it up to a company and human beings who are biased and have busy careers of their own, and things can slip through the cracks. No one's going to care about your worth and getting and paying you equitably. No one's going to cary about that more than you do.
Speaker 2: Hey, be a fan. We're going to take a quick break and we'll be right back.
Speaker 3: That being said, you're you know, you found out that you're up for the standard mayor increase in June. That's all very cute, but that doesn't mean that you still can't negotiate more on top of that. So I would definitely, you know, start doing your research, start putting together your own idea of what your value is based on years of service and all of that. And if you want to ask for an additional raise, I would do that ahead of that June review cycle, and it can't hurt honestly, but to have the strongest case for a raise in June or even before that, you want to be out there now it's March. Start hitting the job applications online. Now, start, you know, letting people know that you're interested in different opportunities, because if you have a real offer, or even the idea of an offer on the table, that's going to give you some real leverage. And it's just way more likely that the company's actually going to give you that increase if they think they stand to lose you, which if you don't have another job offer, they're kind of like, we just gave Duke a pay adjustment. He's fine, he's not going anywhere, So maybe if we're to lose you, so he's been underpaid, say like it's just four years and it was two hundred bucks a month, should he get all that back money.
Speaker 2: The debbie he makes.
Speaker 3: That's really on the company, I think. But I also think that if they haven't offered that, and thanks for asking, because that's a piece that I believe, like for you, for example, I would ask them for more details on like what is it about my pay that, how did you guys adjust it? And then if it's based on years of service, Like, so, how long has it been that I have been underpaid? And can we get a lump some you know, bonus of some kind a bonus that doesn't that you know, can that's going to hit your account and after taxes be as much as you were, you know, be as much as you were. Granted, that's called like what's it called truing up or I forget what that word is.
Speaker 2: There's a word for it.
Speaker 3: They can basically, so let's say in total, you were underpaid by one thousand dollars, So instead of just giving you a bonus for one thousand dollars which will be taxed at your regular tax rate, they would do it like let's say your tax rate is twenty percent, so they would give you like a twelve hundred dollars bonus so the taxes can come out and you know, you're left with about you're about made whole made even. Yeah, I think that's worth looking into. And I mean, I don't know what the lead goal.
Speaker 2: I don't know if there's like a legal standing like if I was underpaid, Like what does that mean?
Speaker 3: I mean, at the end of the day, unless you could prove that they discriminated against you and that's why you were underpaid, then I'm not sure. And that's really hard to prove that because you're a woman, or because you're a person of color, we paid you less. You need to have a lot more information. You need to have information about what every other person at the company your role was making and compare it. So it's a real high what's that expression in law, So it's a high bar. It's a high bar.
Speaker 1: But even if it wasn't because of color or gender or whatever, if they just they admitted, hey, we've been underpaying you, like for what your role was, Listen, they can justify.
Speaker 3: Companies can come up with so much justification from why they're paying somebody. Well, you know this person came from a higher price point from another company. They were hired in the past year. You've been here for seven years, and you know they keep giving you these merit increases. This is another example of why being loyal to a comeany for a long time can actually leave you in a space where you're underpaid compared to the market, because you may be getting these merit increases but not the big compensation increases that you would have had had you had to go into the open market and people have been on you and you know, give you a higher pay. So yeah, there's a bunch of ways, and they're not all like I've said this before, but like as a hiring manager myself, I had ended up with people on my team who were doing similar work, very similar work, and being paid differently. And I had to even sit with myself like how could I let this happen? And a lot of the times it's not because we are malicious, evil people. It is because time goes on. You forget, the market changes. Someone comes in and a certain budget was the way it was when they were hired, and then the economy changes, the business change, the business plan changes, you get less of a budget the next time around, and it's like there's all these different tugs and pool polls.
Speaker 2: I don't know what that means.
Speaker 3: There's always yeah, I know, maybe sort of tugging on the money the purse strings, you know. But again, that is why it's on you, the employee, anyone who's working to really advocate for yourself and make sure that you know you're not falling through the cracks. And that's very unlikely that you're going to end up in a situation where you're being undervalued compared to the market. And yeah, just a really good example, Duke of you need to be keeping your keeping out there, keeping your eyes open to the market, staying open to job interviews, don't get too complacent, and at the end of the day, don't trust anyone else to care more about paying you fairly than you do.
Speaker 1: Zoo, Well, we're going to take a breaky break, We're gonna come back. Oh before we take a break, though, I'm gonna do it like because the next question the person made it very clear they don't want to hear from me, So.
Speaker 2: Hi, I am going to give a little.
Speaker 1: Advice myself this in meantime because if you because I know this is a career segment, but and if you watch her, if you listen to our Wednesday show, I made an admission that I am really intimidated about active investing.
Speaker 2: I invest passively, have her.
Speaker 1: Retirement account and investment accounts, but just kind of like set it and forget it, which is much better than nothing and actually has a really pretty solid strategy. But I've always wanted to learn how to actively invest my dad. I used to watch my dad do it and I kind of just felt like it's it's too hard for me despite all the hard things I've learned how to do. So I told myself, this is the year the excuse stops. And so I reached out to my friend Terry I'm and asked her if she would coach me. Terry might know her from trade and travel. She is She had the number one not just investing class number one course on teachable period for like two or three years in a row. She has taught thousands of students how to invest. And what I love about Terry is that she's actually an educator. She actually was a either assistant principal or principal for a number of years. She went to MIT. Just really smart. She was like an assistant principal for a number of years. I didn't know yeah before she started her business. So Terry's just really smart and just to really when I look for someone to help me, I look for people who not just know the knowledge, but can show you the knowledge like through teaching, like know how to actually teach because I'm a teaching snob.
Speaker 2: Since you I wanted to teach.
Speaker 1: So anyway, I asked Terry to teach me, and she was like I can do that. But also just so you know, in April she was told me this maybe in February, that I have a five day challenge that you should join but also participate like speak at And I was like, well, I can speak because I'm not an active trader, and she said no, that she's having like guest speakers come on to talk about how what does it look like to prepare to invest? So I'm actually going to be talking about how to budget and save money so you have money to invest. But Terry's doing this five day challenge. Day one is like what is the stock market? So it's really for beginners. Day two, what are index funds?
Speaker 2: Day three?
Speaker 1: How what is a brokerage account? How to open one so we can actively open one. This is where a lot of people get hung up. Day four is how to buy a stock. You'll be able to buy a stock alive with her. In day five how to sell a stock. So it's really taking your first trade to break through to say like I can do this thing. And of course she has other things that she teaches, like more in depth, like she has like an eight week course or whatever, but that's not what this is. This is just a five day I want to get started, and so this is what I'm starting with. So I am speaking about budgeting and saving and getting ready, but I am an actual student, like taking the class. So if you want to do this challenge along with me, Terry gave me like a special links. It'll be in the description show notes trade and Travel dot com slash the Budgeonista. Let's trade and Travel dot com slash to Budganista. It's happening in April, I think, what was it?
Speaker 2: Mandy was like the fifteenth to the nineteen nineteen.
Speaker 1: Yes, and it's from seven to nine pm Central time from fifteen to the nineteenth that you'll be able to like watch and take class with us. So it should be a good time. And so if you are a beginner like me, a little service, but know that you have the capability and you actually want like a teacher to teach you. This is my coach and so I get to share her with you. Trading travel dot com slash Buchanista in the show notes. So we're gonna take our break and come right back because we have another question from Mandy.
Speaker 2: Or whatever.
Speaker 3: Wistener and doesn't know what she started.
Speaker 2: I'll just tease it.
Speaker 1: And we are back ba fal So this listener is TMI. Wait, do you see the not so subtle shade? I ain't imagine, TMI, because I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 2: This is a Mandy question. She says, Hey, Mandy and Tiffany, I love you both, but this is a Mandy question. I love that though, honestly I do so.
Speaker 1: TMI says, I got offered an amazing position at a new company, making twenty k more a year from my current position.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. Should I tell my current employer the reason I'm leaving? Or should I just put in my two weeks and dip? Oh, yes, that's right, dip baby, dick, coy baby, dip.
Speaker 3: Come on now, I love us. What a great like a great question to put alongside the question from Duke in the first half of the show, because you're seeing what can happen, Duke, if you are out there in the job market like she's about to go, I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Twenty K raise.
Speaker 3: They're never going to give you that kind of raise internally at the come unless you are like blackmailing them for some reason, like you have some proof of evidence that your CEO is up to no good whatever. You can get this kind of raise by quitting your way rich, like I talk about all the time. But this is a very simple question. So that obviously twenty k more. I mean, come on, that's you know, reason enough to leave. But I hope also it gives you, like the step in your career that you want and you're going to work for a great team and all that. But asking you know, should you tell your current and floyer the reason you're leaving? I mean, that's really up to you. My biggest my question for you would be do you have any interest in staying if they were to match your offer? And if the answer is hell, no, even if they give me twenty k as well, I don't want to stay here anymore, then you could let them know. You know, at the end of the day, it came down to the compensation, but also you know, wanting to leave for X, Y and Z reasons. But it's really like do you care enough? Because that information is only going to benefit them if they care to listen to it. But there's not really a lot to be gained on your end from telling them why you're going to be leaving. Okay, It's also like you've heard of exit interviews right to but just this is a mandy question, so you know, just trying to like keep you in the loop, but like also just the movies, noodle budget what. But the exit interview is another thing I get asked about a lot, like should I really lay it all out in the exit interview? And I always say, like, h at the end of the day, if it's going to make you feel lighter to get that off your chest, Okay, it's really in the company's interest to get that kind of feedback, But it's not the time to settle a score or air your major a grievances because it's going to be delivered to an HR person and they may just you know, take the proverbial you know, piece of paper, ball it up and throw it in the trash and say, Kobe, you know what I mean, Like your brant may never go anywhere. So yeah, it's up to you. If you want to tell them, then fine. But you can absolutely ask your manager for a meeting and say, you know, I've had such a great experience working on this team. I've loved getting to contribute and do X blah blah blah blah blah. But I've decided to take another opportunity at a different company. There's nothing that requires you to say what company you're going to, especially if you think you have a non compete agreement and you're and you should check. Like, you don't need to say what company you're going to. You don't need to give any kind of details, just say, you know, I'm going to keep it private for now, but I'm going to be leaving and I'm happy to put in, uh, you know, do a two week notice so that you know, you guys are not left in a bind. And then you can just shut your face.
Speaker 1: And that's going to be the name the podcast this episode, Did Baby Dip?
Speaker 3: Did Baby Dip?
Speaker 1: To the lay to the Right?
Speaker 2: I love that. I love that.
Speaker 3: But congrats because that's freaking amazing.
Speaker 1: That is freaking amazing now And honestly, like and many gave the best advice, I don't have anything to add to that other than like, as an employer, certainly I would like to know if I'd lost a really good person. But you don't owe that to me, you know, Like I mean, it would be nice to know, like, oh, tivity, it's been great working here, But you know, I did because I might not have the twenty thousand, but it lets me know, Okay, this is the cost of what a cost to keep somebody really good. Let me keep that in mind for the next time. But certainly I'm going to wish you luck and be like, I love that for you. But every employee is not going to be like that, so.
Speaker 3: For sure, and it also be nice, I think as an employer to hear that there's really nothing I could have done different. It's just the pay, you know, it's all about money. Yeah, And if that's the case again, you have to be ready for what if they say, hey, well we can match this off or we don't want to lose you. What's your what's your answer going to be? Then are you willing? Because I've been asked that before multiple times and I usually just go ahead and say, you know, this is a really great opportunity to me. Even if y'all are match would be willing to match it. I would be you know, really honored. But I'm going to end up taking this new role and then kind of give an example like it's a leadership role, it's this that I'm moving, et cetera. Yeah, because you want to ideally keep that relationship and keep it healthy because you never know where they may end up and vice versa. You don't want to act too crazy, too cocky, be like you know, dip, you know.
Speaker 2: You don't put the name behind your back. Not too much dip bunny.
Speaker 3: I don't even know what that means, but you know, like chip on your.
Speaker 2: Shoulder basically like you're you're you're feeling yourself a little too much like you Yeah, this couldn't. Couldn't.
Speaker 3: Let's take the muchellobout my highro, you know, like just we're always trying to live to that expectation, right, But great question. Thank you, t m I and I hope I did you proud?
Speaker 2: She did?
Speaker 3: And you what was your name? In?
Speaker 2: My name is Tiffany? Sorry?
Speaker 3: Boy?
Speaker 1: Did you see what the Kellogg's CEO said about families that are struggling financially that that's okay because they should eat.
Speaker 3: Cereal for dinner? Is am I making that up?
Speaker 2: I said? Is this a is this a simulation of stupidity?
Speaker 3: First of all, have you seen cereal prices lately?
Speaker 2: I mean you can't even avoid it.
Speaker 3: A woman who buys them?
Speaker 1: Girl expect I remember a series respective when I was a kid, cause my mother was not buying the fancy calog cereal because it was too much money.
Speaker 3: And being the plastic baggy. I mean yeah, we would triruit.
Speaker 1: We would get the you know whatever, the the white box name, you know, like the the life cereal, you know, like you So if it was called cheerios, we would get the the the O o's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeahs fruity, the apple was delicious, so it would be like apple snacks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, appleed apples, That's what it was at Ingles, Ingles, it was expected.
Speaker 2: Then let it alle now please, we caldn't even regular cereal. But can you imagine the level of.
Speaker 1: Like just lack of awareness, like, oh, that's okay because they can eat cereal in the in the US they and not in USA that we're suggesting that baby should go to bed with just sugary snacks.
Speaker 2: Like what is even? Is what an idiot? Anyway?
Speaker 3: Callogg's fans rejoiced to see cereal being sold at all time low after CEO's contra Hershaal comments sparked a boycott of the brand frosted Flakes. Hey, why didn't they didn't reach my grocery store because frosted flakes were still healthy expensive. Yeah, they were ninety nine cents really well one day, so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sure, sure we'll be back at it.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I just thought that I just it was just because I know I felt left out, so I had to put a little something like I have something to say.
Speaker 3: I know it's very Marie. And when I let them eat cake.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, that's very much what he was giving. You know what happened to her? What happened to her exactly? I did not miss that day in history class. We did what.
Speaker 3: Oh man, Well, it looks like they're getting their just desserts and the public continues to do the right thing with these boycotts.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, if you enjoyed our baq, and we know you did, and you have questions to ask, you can we are Brianna Bischon podcast on social media on ig slide into the d MS and ask your question. Always make sure that you know if you don't want us to say her name, let us know. Ideally give us a fake name that we can use because it's fun. And you could also email us at Binha Vision podcast at gmail dot com. If this was an episode that you'd like you know you.
Speaker 3: Did share it.
Speaker 1: Please, we would love more people to hear from us. Share I know, tag okay us share, I guess.
Speaker 2: We're thirsty.
Speaker 1: Share it and then also to leave us to review, because reviews are how more people even find us.
Speaker 2: We already have thousands of reviews, and we would love thousands mores. And I said, mores. We love y'all. Okay, we'll be back next week. Bye baby DIEP, come on out,