Speaker 1: Abby Monday, it is your Second Date podcast. Thanks so much for being here. It's Brook and Jeffrey in the morning, and I would love in the comments today for people to share the awkward ways their date ended, you know, not all or.
Speaker 2: Just a simple kiss or a little hog news.
Speaker 1: Some of them get weird and that definitely happened in today's Second Date Update.
Speaker 2: Yep, so let us know because you know we love reading your comments. What do you see?
Speaker 3: Lex Yes seven Ish said, Hey, guys, listening all the way from Malaysia.
Speaker 4: Cool.
Speaker 3: I discovered the show through a Second Date Update clip on TikTok and I've been hooked ever since. I started with the Second Date playlist. Then I moved on to Awkward Tuesdays and mass speakers, and now I'm all in on the full show.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, I mean you do get a full hour if you somehow want more of this. Remember we have a second podcast feed that is just Brook and Jeffrey. It's the same goofy pictures of us in the in the in the pod, but you'll find it and you can get even more.
Speaker 2: All right, We're gonna start your Second Date right now.
Speaker 5: Second Date Update. I'm not sure if you guys remember this. But about six months ago, we did an awkward Tuesday phone call with a listener named Kevin who wanted to ask out his coworker and he was super nervous about it needed our advice. The call wasn't perfect. Yeah, he had some stumbles along the way, But she's sound like every call that we do, absolutely flawless.
Speaker 2: I'm tried to remember what happened In.
Speaker 5: The end, she did say yes and agree to a date with him. I guess I don't know. It was a yes bottom line. Now, apparently they went out a few times, things fizzled, didn't quite last. So Kevin has jumped back into the beautiful oasis we call the modern dating pool. And again, that was months ago. So, Kevin, how's it been. Have you had a lot of dates in that time?
Speaker 4: Like ten ten, ten days?
Speaker 5: You did dates in the last two years.
Speaker 2: You're doing some work. Congratulations, you're a catch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I actually haven't had a second date.
Speaker 2: But is that from your choosing, Like maybe you didn't want to go out again with any of them.
Speaker 4: No, I would have been happy to go out with really any of them again.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, okay, that's hard. You're here we're going to help you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they haven't been the greatest. I actually had a really bad one. Yeah she was a nice girl, I thought, But when I walked her out to her cards opened the door, and then she just suck her punched me, and then drove off.
Speaker 5: Wait what did you say? I did not expect that sentence?
Speaker 2: That is terrible face? Did she punch you in the face?
Speaker 4: It was actually in the back of my head. I was opening her door, and then all of a sudden, I just felt.
Speaker 5: This, like, did you ask permission to open the door for her? Because she mayn't really have not liked that fast enough for her.
Speaker 4: Maybe so, I don't know if she thought I was going to kiss her or your head?
Speaker 2: How are you going to kiss her?
Speaker 5: Maybe she thought that you were trying to steal her car.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 2: It has to be a self defense.
Speaker 5: He's not like, give me the keys.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Wasn't that bad? I don't know.
Speaker 5: Some people give off natural grand theft daughter vibes, so maybe you fell into that category.
Speaker 2: Ask for you? Okay?
Speaker 5: Now I am yeah, concu so a sucker punch girl the one you want us to call for a second date. Update, We'll call her fighter. Well, who do you want to call?
Speaker 4: I've had this really bad luck until I met Chelsea.
Speaker 5: Chelsea, Okay, it's a new girl.
Speaker 2: Hey, okay, no physical violence.
Speaker 5: I hope you'll tell us about your I'm assuming you went on a date with Chelsea.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she didn't punch me.
Speaker 5: Actually perfect, we're improving.
Speaker 4: I thought, a good sign, and we connected the best out of all of the first dates I went on.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well what made what made it the best?
Speaker 4: Felt like I could talk to her because like when we went on our coffee date, it was a good conversation, even though it didn't last very long. Okay, it was actually like twenty minutes.
Speaker 2: Why was it so short?
Speaker 4: You know, I'm not really sure my friends got by and by your friend? Yeah, I don't really know why.
Speaker 5: Okay, So you had a friend come by randomly and you talk to the friend a little bit, and you feel like maybe she got offended that the attention was taken away from her.
Speaker 4: I make I don't know. That would be weird to me.
Speaker 5: She got a friend in what.
Speaker 1: Happens if you're only there for twenty minutes and you have a five minute conversation with a friend, that's one fourth of the date, they learned.
Speaker 5: Trying to play it off. Hey, Brooke, good to see you here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, are too successful and beautiful.
Speaker 5: I feel like I normally wouldn't ask this, but I feel like I need to know Chelsea. She's not the barista, right, You're not considering that a date. That's creative, Like she doesn't work there.
Speaker 4: No, she doesn't work there.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's a good question. How did it end? Yeah, after the twenty minutes? How did you two leave it?
Speaker 4: She said she had to do something, so we got up and left. And I guess that was kind of weird too, because I was kind of like behind her for a couple of blocks. She what walked.
Speaker 5: Away the same direction.
Speaker 2: That's like the most awing ever.
Speaker 5: And then she started to jog, and then you started to jog. You're like, hey, I'm gonna run out of someone weird chases you.
Speaker 4: I end up I lost her, I.
Speaker 1: Lost you, I think, Yeah, that's really Did she know you were back there?
Speaker 4: I don't think so. I don't know.
Speaker 5: Okay, but you weren't following her. That was just a coincidence you had the same route home.
Speaker 2: Dude.
Speaker 1: I hate that even when that happens with my friends, were saying goodbye at the restaurant, and then we're like.
Speaker 5: Yeah, get it, you get it all right? So how long has it been since this twenty minute date?
Speaker 4: I credit two weeks?
Speaker 2: Two weeks? Okay, I have you reached out much with her?
Speaker 4: I was texting her quite a bit?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we may, said, yeah, we might.
Speaker 5: We might find out if you've crossed any lines or how many texts you've actually sent when we call her here.
Speaker 3: I think it's more how far he did cross.
Speaker 5: Them, or maybe they were right in that sweet spot. We don't know, Brooke. Remember when you said you had hope.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do have hope as long as you didn't send her a picture of the back of her.
Speaker 2: Head as she was walking away from you.
Speaker 5: On this he was just trying to make sure she doesn't get sucker punched back there. What did I was going to.
Speaker 4: Say when I was on last time, Brooke? You told me to be more certain, So I'm really trying to be here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, in their car.
Speaker 2: There's a balance that we need to discuss. But maybe enough.
Speaker 5: Period and weren't trying to be weird. You were just trying to walk to your car.
Speaker 2: And maybe that's not why she's not calling me back at all.
Speaker 5: We're making stuff. Okay, well let's call her and use that assertion to aggressively get you a second date. When we called Chelsea right after this hold on second date update, don't you hate it when you're on a first date and the girl says she has to go and you accidentally follow her all the way home? No, jef, I think it.
Speaker 1: Was only three blocks to be fair, I mean enough blocks to be alarming.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but you lost her. That's what happened to our listener, Kevin. Sort of. He wasn't following his date Chelsea on purpose. They just left the coffee shop at the same time, and he coincidentally was walking behind her on the street for a long, long while.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, at any point, did you think I should take a different route.
Speaker 5: Or just stop for a second? No, stop, hope, he didn't think speed up, let me catch up with her. Did that thought come to your mind at all, Kevin, any of those?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I didn't think it was that weird, and so I've been thinking about it, like while we were on hold, and I think you should tell her that I didn't intentionally walk behind her, because I really did it.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you want you want us to let her know that?
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, okay, okay.
Speaker 5: We're not exactly sure what happened there. We just know that the date was only twenty minutes long, which is kind of short to get to know someone. That's honestly the bigger concern for me, like why did she only stay for twenty minutes? The following is a totally different story. If you were in a hurry, why would you even schedule a date during that time?
Speaker 1: They were just trying to squeeze it in and it's like one of those pre dates where it's just like a quick coffee, like will this be worth a full night?
Speaker 5: You didn't catfish her with like a photo of Liam Hemsworth, did you, because you do sound like a Liam to me right now, kind of hunky.
Speaker 4: I'm actually bushing right now. But no, does a name could.
Speaker 5: Have fooled me. Let's call Chelsea here. We'll see if we can get an explanation from her. If she picks up, all right, here we go. Hello, Hey is this Chelsea?
Speaker 6: This is who's calling?
Speaker 5: This is a radio show calling called Brook and Jeffrey in the morning.
Speaker 6: Hey, Chelsea, Uh what what?
Speaker 4: What? Is this.
Speaker 5: This is fun for some of us. It's fun. It's a segment we do call the Second Date Update. And we're looking at sorry.
Speaker 1: Okay, just listening, just actively listening.
Speaker 5: By interrupting me. But let's okay. We're trying to help out one of our listeners that you went out on a date with recently. He says he had a really good time with you, but it ended kind of short. His name is Kevin.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm hoping that was a smile and not a laugh.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sensitive.
Speaker 5: We're calling because Kevin told us a little bit about your guys' date coffee date, coffee date, and from what we heard, it sound pretty fun.
Speaker 2: Tame short.
Speaker 6: That was two weeks ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he he liked you, He thought you were awesome.
Speaker 2: He wanted to see you again.
Speaker 5: He said he's been pursuing it actually and texting you, trying to organize something, but he doesn't understand why nothing's happening.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he has sent me quite a few texts, but I guess I'm confused as to why he doesn't understand why he start moving forward.
Speaker 2: Did you write him back?
Speaker 4: He?
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess we never asked if you ever texted him back.
Speaker 6: From my perspective, he was pretty obvious.
Speaker 5: The only the only idea that he had about the date about why it would have ended so quickly is he did mention one of his friends stopped by and said.
Speaker 4: Hi, that's what he said.
Speaker 6: He he said, a friend stopped by.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like that.
Speaker 2: You think that they weren't actually friends?
Speaker 5: Was it his ex?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 6: I mean, as far as I know, I don't think it was an ex, but I don't know. Thirty seconds a minute into us meeting at the coffee shop, this guy comes over and sits like right next to us, isn't looking at me at all. So I asked Kevin. I was like, Hi, can we introduce him?
Speaker 4: He's like, well, no, no, don't.
Speaker 6: He's not engaging in the conversation. He's just my emotional support friend.
Speaker 5: Emotional support friend.
Speaker 6: So originally I thought he might have been kidding, and so I laugh and he's like, it's not funny.
Speaker 4: This is Charles.
Speaker 6: I've had a couple of poor dates, and Charles is really there to just kind of help me with my confidence and communicate more effectively. I mean, I think if maybe I had been given a heads up, I would have been more.
Speaker 4: Open to the idea.
Speaker 5: Emotional support friend.
Speaker 1: Vest Dude, that's amazing that he can find a friend that will take the time to go on a day with him. I mean, but I'll say I think that that says a lot about Vin that he must.
Speaker 2: Be a good I need to know, is Charles sitting on his phone? Is he's just listening.
Speaker 5: We got the impression that he just popped in real quick and left.
Speaker 4: No, not at all.
Speaker 6: He was there the whole time. He wasn't really engaging in the conversation. He was just there.
Speaker 2: Did he hype Kevin up ever? You know, like he's sport?
Speaker 6: I mean, he laughed at some of the things that Kevin said, but beyond that, there wasn't much in her action.
Speaker 2: Everybody friend Charles a few tables over.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we didn't know that was how it played out. We got a little bit of a different version of that story.
Speaker 2: Charles is on the phone too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because, oh my god, we have an emotional support friend quietly listening on the other line right now. Just to make sure that I do a good job with this segment. And that person is Kevin.
Speaker 6: Kevin's here, what he's on the phone?
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's really Actually he wants to talk in this conversation, so I'm going to give him permission to jump in and say something.
Speaker 1: Okay, if he's there, Keviny there, Yeah, I'm here.
Speaker 2: How you doing, buddy, I'm good.
Speaker 4: I'm just I'm listening. Yeah, I don't understand what the big deal is really, Kevin.
Speaker 5: When did you get an emotional support bro? You didn't tell us about that? Well?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, a friend is a friend. He doesn't need like a title or.
Speaker 5: You sounds like you gave him a title. You you called him your emotional support friend.
Speaker 1: Kevin, you brought him along on the date and didn't tell us the whole time.
Speaker 4: I mean, yes, he was there, but he was there for me.
Speaker 5: Sure, sure, Chelsea. Do you see where he's coming from?
Speaker 6: I guess. I mean, but you kind of have to put my like yourself in my shoes, Kevin, And it's it's a little bizarre to just have a third person there without kind of giving the heads up why, and not engaging really in the conversation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, are you mad because he didn't laugh at your jokes and he has.
Speaker 5: I'd be mad. That's a good question, guys, Chelsea.
Speaker 6: No, not really. I don't think I was particularly funny because I was kind of creeped out by the whole thing.
Speaker 1: I told so many jokes and just I mean, Kevin, do you think that maybe you could have told her prior to the date that he was coming along.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's going to be right.
Speaker 4: I didn't need to tell her because he wasn't going to do anything. Like, he's just the wallpaper. He's going to be there now for me.
Speaker 5: So what I think, Kevin, Chelsea is saying that it's hard for her to connect romantically with you.
Speaker 6: I don't even mean romantically, I just mean as a person to person it's hard.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Kevin, it's a little bit distracting, Kevin.
Speaker 6: Maybe he's waiting for Charles to responds.
Speaker 5: Charles speak up right now?
Speaker 4: Okay, so it's a little bit distracting, I guess. But like the thing is, I can tell him to do whatever I want. Does that make sense because I'm the one that's paying him?
Speaker 5: Oh you paying.
Speaker 1: Hard?
Speaker 4: I mean, okay, yeah, he was technically not facing you for the time. But I mean, I could guess I could get him to like face the wall if you really wanted.
Speaker 5: Well, I do think that would be better. That's that's at least a good first step. Can we agree on that?
Speaker 2: Awkward Kevin?
Speaker 5: I mean, people need to tell him we left the rest.
Speaker 6: Of the day.
Speaker 5: But the blindfolded a ball game, you can't see, you can't speak.
Speaker 2: Compare the both of you. Emotional support is totally normal and needed. But let's get you a dog or you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but dogs can't laugh.
Speaker 4: At jokes exactly. And it was a good date.
Speaker 2: It wasn't.
Speaker 6: Did you hear it wasn't a good date. I am so sorry, y'all. I don't understand why this was even a conversation. It is awkward and weird, and I've got to go. I hope you all have a great day.
Speaker 5: Sounds like you need an emotional support friend to deal with that.
Speaker 4: She keeps having to go, and I think that's true.
Speaker 1: She's not interested, and I don't know that you're going to find many that are interested when Charles.
Speaker 2: Has to be there with you. But a dog, a lot of women would be interested.
Speaker 4: Yeah, emotional for animals are kind of weird. I prefer people.
Speaker 5: Okay, Okay, well maybe again, maybe just follow her home again and see.
Speaker 2: If she.
Speaker 5: Stops brook Jeffrey in the morning, Man, I don't say this about many people, but this show is an open door for Kevin whenever he wants to come back. He is officially a friend of the show, even if he wasn't being one hundred per century full with us about his emotional support friend. I like him and I would let him follow me home anytime.
Speaker 1: Is he the only one that pushes back on dogs that people are better than dogs?
Speaker 2: They're not, Kevin. People are your problem.
Speaker 5: Yeah, everybody agrees. All the people on the textboard, they're saying dogs.
Speaker 2: Are better than bele Yes, get the right emotional support.
Speaker 5: Actually, wait, did his emotional support friend follow Chelsea home too?
Speaker 2: So there's two dudes following.
Speaker 5: If there's two guys following you, now, I kind of understand the creepiness, especially when he's talking to his friend and going, what is the boy?
Speaker 1: You didn't understand the creepiness when the guy was sitting next to him staring at her.
Speaker 5: The date itself was pretty odd. Yeah, I mean he's just being supportive.
Speaker 2: No better ways.
Speaker 5: Yeah, way hoped you should have done a FaceTime totally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean he honestly could have had him on speakerphone and just set the phone on the bay, you know.
Speaker 5: There's lots of life lessons to be taken from these segments, and you can go find them online wherever you get your podcast at Brook and Jeffrey and then email the show. We can call that person who wasn't calling you back
Speaker 2: Brook and Jeffrey in the morning.