Speaker 1: So will I. Uh I got seat four.
Speaker 2: Deed and it was and it was magical. Was it magical? Didn't make it magical, It was magical all the way around.
Speaker 1: Jensen and I decided to take the kids to their first ever live wrestling event. They have gotten very into wrestling over the last couple of months, and they play the video game. We watch, you know, Monday Night Raw. We've watched all of the events. Uh they call they wrestle, which they call wrestling with their bodies.
Speaker 3: As opposed to what wrest with their money.
Speaker 1: Well, because they'll say, can we play wrestling? And then it's you mean the video game, no, with our bodies. And so we do promos, we do entrances, we play entrance songs. They come out one by one, they put on a whole performance. They have memorized all their favorite wrestlers moves and it's really incredible. And so we decided, okay, money in the bank. June seventh, it was the day after our run of live shows. So you know, me who's like always concerned about when I'm gonna get my sleep, was like, it's okay, it's gonna be worth it. We're gonna take I'm gonna be exhausted, but we're gonna take them. It's gonna be the best, and it was. We got the money in the bank briefcases which they were thrilled to carry to the event. And then we get there and we are sitting in the second row right just facing the wing and to their eyeballs when we walked into into it Dome and saw the way it was set up, and they because there were ladder matches, which means they were, you know, climbing up on the ladder to get to the briefcase that's hanging over the center of the ring, so all the ladders were out. Their faces were like.
Speaker 2: When I walked in the first time.
Speaker 1: Correct, it was just like being there with Will Yeah, and it was incredible. We had the time of our lives and no one was sitting in front of us for the first hour and twenty minutes of the wrestling match. And then all of a sudden, there's like some hooplah and there's like a bunch of people come up and we're like, what is going on? And Jensen goes it's Courtney Kardashian and I look up and I yep, I see Travis Barker Courtney Kardashian and they're adorable baby boy, and they come and sit in the three chairs directly in front of us. Yeah, And it was really cute because their son kept turning around and talking to Adler, and Adler was totally taught. It was like, Hi, look at my briefcays and like. And Adler had brought some wrestling figures with him and so he's like, do you want to see my wrestling figures? And it was really cute too because before Adler handed over one of his wrestling figures, he asked Travis Parker, can you touch this? And Travis was like, yeah, I can. So cute. They were an adorable little family sitting directly in front of us, and then without any warning at all whatsoever, there were cameras directly in front of us and they were on screen and I had no idea what a little hambone Adler was. Yeah, Adler knew how to find his lens. He was like, oh, oh, there's two heads here if I just get right in between him, and then he's making faces. He's like rock on and he's going like, oh, he's just hamming it up for the camera, and I, you know, I didn't. I wasn't even aware of all of that was going on. I was just sitting there, absolutely thrilled to be there, thrilled to be watching Adler having such a good time. Keaton was having the time of his life. And then within five minutes our phones started blowing up. Your family was just on TV. Oh my god, Adler is killing it. You guys are just on TV. You should see Adler. It's the greatest thing ever. And so there it is. There's there's the posts. It says Travis Barker and Courtney Kardashian at WW money in the bank.
Speaker 2: So that's Courtney Kardashian.
Speaker 1: That's Courtney Kardashian. And that's Travis Barker, the drummer from Blank one eighty two. He's a drummer, right, And there's Adler finding his lens. Keaton was sitting on Daddy's lap for this part, so you can you can only kind of see him. And I'm just smiling in the background, happy to be there, happy to be alive for d And yep, I now know what it feels like to be for you can feel it. I've now seat four D.
Speaker 2: It hits your bones. God, it well I'm honored to have you sitting next to me. Uh, as long as again you take the window seat and I take the aisle, will be fine. Yeah. So four C and four day we're together all the.
Speaker 3: Way back and coach just right on camera and b.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was exactly like what happened to will they hire on the Kardashian Family. And it was great. I love it. I absolutely love it. It was it was wonderful. So anyway, I feel like a part of it. I feel like I get it now, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's good. Well again, we traveled again this weekend, and it's just how many times did it happened? I took pictures of you with so many people? I mean, so we get you on the flight home. The flight attendant comes up and leans over me, like get out of my radio way yeah, and says like, oh my god, we're so happy to have you on the flight. Could I get a picture with you later? And Daniel's like, of course, of course, no problem, and then she walks away, and then another flight attenant comes up and goes, this is for you and like puts a little note on her seat like everything, and then walks away and I get up to go to the bathroom, and then the first the note lady recognizes me. So about then a half hour into the flight, the flight attenant comes back and goes, we'd like to get a picture with you two, if that be okay. Like somebody then told her like, oh, you know the guy sitting next to her. Yeah, it was, oh my god, it's just traveling.
Speaker 1: Thing is that they had no idea writer was on the flight. We said, we were like, you know, writers on the flight. He's just sitting way back there somewhere thirty eight ALP.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I still don't get it, right, I still don't get it. It's like for an hour flight, two hour flight, but it was like nine two hour flights, and you're checking your bag every time. You're that guy he was gone for a long time.
Speaker 3: Well, I also have wardrobe for our show. I was bringing the manifesto book that never used.
Speaker 2: We never used. Oh man, yeah, no. Traveling with both of you is certainly an experience because everyone has their own travel method. I like to get there a certain amount of time. I like to board the plane first. I like, you've got your things. So when you throw somebody else into the mix, who's like Oh dude, I'm in the back and I'm checking a bag or I'm getting ready. Nice everywhere, you.
Speaker 1: Like to board first, and if Writer is checking a bag and doesn't have a bag, he likes to board last.
Speaker 3: I wait for a final boarding call. Why the person and last person on the stand in line to get on the plane. If you need the overhead bag space, I get it. Otherwise, No, that's why I wait for head backspace. It's chilling the airport until final boarding. I've got to check it our next round. So I'm going to be that guy. Now I'm going to be Writer in the next round.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna have to check it back because I'm gone for two weeks. So yeah, it's going to be.
Speaker 1: It was nice knowing you will it was nice traveling with you.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll see. I'm sure i'll hear that you were there. Did you see that was Depang. I'm like, yeah, I've met her before, so yes, she's really nice. She's really sweet. Traveling with Danielle. Yes, very interesting.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Pod Meets World. I'm seat four D.
Speaker 2: I'm seat seventeen B, and I'm still C four C.
Speaker 1: Welcome to today's episode recap. It is season six, episode thirteen, We'll have a good Time Then. It originally aired January twenty second, nineteen ninety nine. The synopsis Sean and Jack's absentee Dad chet reappears and promises he's here to stay. It was directed by David Kendall and it was written by Gary H. Miller. Now, before I jump into our guest stars, do you guys want to talk about year overall thoughts?
Speaker 4: Laugh riot, This was funny, so funny, funny really like yeah, yeah, I mean the entire second half is really silent.
Speaker 3: You know, there's just no laugh so, I mean it's so there's something jarring about that. And it's just also like I feel like a lot of this episode put a lot of pressure on all the actors, you know, like Blake has to have a heart attack on camera, die on camera. Yeah, it's like he has Like it's so it's it's an It felt awkward to me in that regard. It felt like, you know, there's just a it. I think I think it was like our show's attempt at being like a a place, like a real drama play, you know, where like something happens on stage, and it just put a lot of pressure on the actors. But you know, I also like I couldn't I don't know how much of it was the memory of the emotion or seeing myself being emotional, But I freaking cried like you when I started crying in the show, I was like crying in real life, sitting here less like by myself watching I was like, I'm really emotional. So you know, I don't know, Like I said, I don't know how much of that was just like being in the memory of the experience or like seeing myself. I don't know. It just felt very obviously, it felt very personal. So that was I guess effective or felt like maybe that was a thing worth noting. So yeah, I don't know, it just it just it is. It's I like the idea that Jack and Sean have this dynamic. I love that we're finally taught, that Sean's finally saying what he's his problem is and all and all that felt great to hear. But yeah, it was. It's a jarring. It's like a very special episode in so many ways. So just tonally, it was like whoa we are in a drama show. And so but I think if you know, if I put that aside, it was good. You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I kind of feel the same way this needed to be a two part episode with a funnier bet story because there's no B story. It's just that's that's what this is is. So again, it is it's a very special episode, and it's a good, very special episode. I mean it's the acting's good and the writing's good, and so yeah, in that sense, I liked it. But it is it is a very heavy twenty two minutes, and I think forty four minutes broken up with some kind of bet story probably would have made this story more impactful than just kind of throwing it the way it is. But it's it wasn't bad. I mean again, everybody was good, The performances were good. You're emotionally invested in the characters, everybody coming in, and you know it's it's also it's Blake. You know, Blake is great and watching him come back, there's this energy to him on the screen that is just you can't take your eyes off of him. So it was. It was enjoy I mean as enjoyable as a melodramatic special episode of sitcom can be. This was a good version of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I really loved it. I really I was in it. I was happy that for once, Chet was being kind of held to the fire about what his lifestyle has done to his sons, and he couldn't escape it. He couldn't just tap dances way out of it because he was in the hospital. I loved that. I think the reason maybe it didn't bother me at all that it wasn't super funny or funny at all after the first half is that, unlike other episodes where we are very clearly trying to strike a balance, this one didn't feel like it was trying to strike a balance. It was just going to be We're doing an emotional, true family story, and I'm not going to try to sprinkle in jokes here and there s nobs story. Just this is what we're dealing with, and it's real life, and it's real finally, drama coming to a head, of the differences between Sean and Jack, the differences in their relationship and how they relate to check, just all of it. I loved all of it, and I was really invested. And you know, Matt was so good. Yeah, writer you. I feel like saying you were so good is like me telling Will He was so funny it's like you're always so good and not that Matt is not always so good, but Matt has not had as many opportunities to showcase.
Speaker 3: Ye, I think Matt and I have better chemistry and drama.
Speaker 2: Yester chemistry and comedy.
Speaker 3: Right, but but it's I mean I say that, but I also remember they tried this and when he first came on, but we just didn't have it yet.
Speaker 1: He didn't have the chemistry yet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or it just wasn't written to the right way. I don't know. Whereas this when we're like in those confrontational scenes.
Speaker 2: I was like, I kind of believe one of these feats.
Speaker 3: I believe, like I love my One of my favorite moments was I was like, came, we look at you and me. We don't even have a relationship. I was like, thank you, Like this feels right, Like this physics why it were honest, because they split you up. They brought you in and tried to put you together.
Speaker 2: It didn't work, so they split up to where now it's Jack and Eric, to where people are kind of forgetting like we've even said, like let's wait your brothers, you've kind of forgotten about that, and now they're playing to that where it's like, look, you're back in my life and we don't even talk. I mean, it's one of those things where it's yeah, no. Matt was was.
Speaker 1: Very very good in that I believed every moment of it. And I also really very much believed that you guys each had your own totally separate relationships with Chet and and every time you'd you would bring up like you just must not be feeling what I'm feeling like, you know, it all felt so real and his the way he was able to pull back because it's such a fun like it's so easy to be defensive when someone says something like that to you, and then in the in the defensiveness to really like out, but he did it from such an a like a truly empathetic place for what you were going through. I don't know. I just really loved underlayed, and he played it in the you're hurting, so I'm gonna I'm gonna accept that you're trying to hurt me too, but I'm not gonna let us take it that way. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I really enjoyed it, though, I think now looking back, if the producers saw the Lobster as much as I did, be super pissed. It's in every single scene.
Speaker 3: Really, did you anywhere?
Speaker 2: Didn't see it anyway? Right over Rider's shoulder when he's doing this emotional thing sitting next to Chet. It's in the the uh student store. It's in the I mean, I must, we must to the point where Suon and I were going lobster, lobster, lobster. I mean, it's everywhere.
Speaker 1: So you saw it for the first time last week.
Speaker 2: Last week, and now the students maybe this.
Speaker 3: Is when it started.
Speaker 1: This is the beginning of it.
Speaker 2: You're like sitting You're in the hospital, sitting in the chair talking to chat, and right over your shoulder there's just a giant lobster sitting on the desk.
Speaker 3: Dom room.
Speaker 2: There's the lobster in the student store. In it must have been in five different places in this episode, and I was like, oh my god. If they knew she was doing this at this point, they would have been pissed because it's everywhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh that's so funny.
Speaker 2: Everywhere.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: The Lobster episode well guest starring Christopher Carter as Kenny. Christopher grew up with two pioneering parents in the business. His dad Robert was an actor and the founder of the prestigious Negro Ensemble Company, and his mom, Nancy, was the founder of the first talent agency to only represent people of color natural artists. Christopher appeared on the Cosby show, Good Morning, Miss Bliss, a Different World and played Andre on Hanging with Mister Cooper. He appears to have left the business soon after his appearance Boy Meets World, and then the comedic genius of Blake Clark makes its triumphant return as Chet Hunter. We have not seen him since season five, episode two. This is his ninth of twelve Boy Meets World episodes that he appeared too. And then we have Julio Oscar Mitchosa as doctor Sanchez, a character actor with almost one hundred and fifty credits to his name in everything. He had quite a distinguished moment on our show, but he also played Detective Ruiz and Bad Boys, and appeared in movies like Jurassic Park three, Little Miss Sunshine, and Larry Clark's very weird movie Ken Park. He also guest starred on TV shows like Miamivice, Coach Gray's Anatomy, and Welmfeled Yes.
Speaker 2: And he plays Julio the apartment manager.
Speaker 1: Yes, in an episode titled The Kiss. Hello.
Speaker 3: Yep, what an actor Matt I remember working with him. Yeah, we'll get into it.
Speaker 1: Sadly, he died of a heart attack at the young age of sixty two.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't know he passed away. That sucks.
Speaker 1: And then we have Shannon Wells as nurse. You may recognize her as Grandma Winslow and The Power Rangers or from small parts on Community Raising Hope, Veep and Transparent. She really landed some great roles later in life, including a part in Christopher Nolan's Inception. She worked right up until twenty nineteen, and she passed away in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: So was she an inception though? Was she was? She?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well. We start our episode in the student union, Corey and Sean walk in together. Sean is sporting some very cool rave cargo pants.
Speaker 2: Man, I love them, dude. These pants were The pockets were distractingly large, to the point where it's had a five minute conversation about whether the stripes, because they also had stripes with major pants look very fast. So the question was did this were the stripes first? And then they put the pockets over the stripes or did they put the pockets on and then stripe and then stripe under.
Speaker 3: So what kids used to do in my hometown is they would buy Jenkos and then they'd cut them up the side and then put an extra strip of fabric of like your favorite whatever color. So like this was a fake. This was like the processed version of what like kids were doing, what you're doing, like people were doing. It was like that was so you have like these giant bell bottoms that you'd create out of your already giant Jenkos. People would add a strip of fabric and they would be like crazy bright colors or like like a flower print along the side or something. And then it got co opted and became like what this was was would you repurchase them already.
Speaker 2: With raptingly large pocket?
Speaker 3: I mean, but you know what's so funny? Okay, So I went, I went and picked up my my, my friend's kids with Indie and picking them up from their babysitter. And this woman walks out. You know, I have no idea nineteen twenty she could have just walked right out of nineteen ninety. Yeah, like her clothing. I was like, oh my god, you look like everybody. I went to high school with the top and the and she had the big jeans. I was like, so I could dress like this now. I mean maybe not me, but a twenty year old would dress like this right now and be totally fitting in. I was like, oh my god, this is Yeah, it's so weird.
Speaker 1: When we go to the mall, I'm like, I wore that. I swear to god, I wore that to high school. That's exactly what I was wearing.
Speaker 2: Well, my pajama bottoms and the zipp A puddy is now like the look, we just wear that all the time. Yeah, no, we so.
Speaker 1: Cory suggests they grab a coffee before class, but Sean says, what's the point of even going to class? Corey explains, because otherwise we have to go to war. Sean continues to pout, I am at war. I'm at war with myself.
Speaker 3: Now, that might be one of the worst lines in the history.
Speaker 1: I am not going to disagree with you.
Speaker 3: I was like, what what I am at war? I'm at war?
Speaker 1: Why the way I am?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: What was me put to start out of nothing?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Just give a little guys, let's let's do a rewrite.
Speaker 1: That was come on.
Speaker 3: Usually Boys World is yeah, I know that one with you.
Speaker 1: I agree with you if we needed a tweak and a punch up. Right there after that, I'm in. But at the start of this I was like.
Speaker 3: Oh, no, I am at war. I am a war joke also feels like from the you know, like Vietnam eras okay, and then no, I know.
Speaker 1: Corey says he just needs to relax. Jack appears and offers to buy them a coffee, and Sean freaks, what are you trying to say? Jack repeats himself calmly. What I'm trying to say is, hey, guys, buy you a coffee.
Speaker 2: By the way, this is where one of the place already starts. It's in the it's in the student store, it's being sold to hanging on one of the rooms.
Speaker 3: Must always be there, then, because you say you saw that, that's what sewn last week too.
Speaker 1: Right now he was in a different spot of the student was on the cash register.
Speaker 2: So yeah, this is the first I was like, oh, hey, the lobster. They did get it in this episode. By the ninth time, I was like, oh my god, it's everywhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Sean says he can afford to buy his own coffee. Jack explains he was just offering. Corey chimes in, I will take a lot, and he does his hand to his chest again. Isn't this great? The three of us having coffee, just us guys. Why do we never get to do that? Then on cue a woman they can blame, Tapanga calls out for Corey and he ditches them without a second thought.
Speaker 3: The effective women on male bonding exactly.
Speaker 1: Kenny, another college student, walks up to report a nasty situation. Over at the pool table, we see an older man standing with his back toward us, lining up a shot. Kenny adds, old dude has been running the table like he built it. Beat my butt for fifty bucks. Sean's surprised. He's the best stick around, well besides himself, of course. Kenny asks, so you think you can take him? And that's when the old man reveals himself. It's Chet Hunter, Sean and Jack's long lost dad. Sean smirks, I don't know, I never have before. Kenny asks if Sean knows him, and Sean grins kind of, he's my father. Over at the pool table, Chet declares, I win again. A poor college kid hands him some cash, and Chet cheekily asks double or nothing. I'll let you break. Sean approaches his dad and jokingly asks, is this what you're doing for kicks now, hustling students out of their tuition? Money Check corrects his son, I'm not hustling. I'm teaching, teaching them not to play pool with a stranger. He shows off a giant wad of cash and emphasizes especially when that stranger is me. He opens his arms for a hug and Sean accepts. Then Jack approaches for a little less enthused of a hug and asks what he's doing here. Sewn interrupts before he can answer. He guess is passing through on your way to somewhere else, but Chet tells him he's wrong. In fact, he's arrived at the spot where he's going to stay put.
Speaker 2: I took a look at my life, right even just the two hugs, you kind of set up the whole relationship just in those two great absolutely just that moment that's all you needed right there, big enthusiastic hug and then kind of like I'm getting to know you hug. It was it was great. Those little moments really sold the relationship.
Speaker 1: I thought completely agree. I took a look at my life and I said, Chet, and I went, what he needs to spend more time with his two sons. Sean knowingly laughs the.
Speaker 3: Way he's so annoyed with himself, like that's the way everyone talks to shit, and so he talks to himself like that too.
Speaker 1: So, Bunny, I know what. Sean knowingly laughs, you got fired, didn't you. Chet tells him not to nitpick. The point is he's here and he's staying.
Speaker 3: I was so glad to see that Sean's disappointment with his dad is played light here. You know what I mean exactly, because it's actually if you read the lines the way it's written, it's like, oh, you're gonna leave. Like I I could have been sarcastic, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was probably takes where I did do that. But at some point, clearly the very correct decision was made, either by me or the door or Kendall or whoever, or Michael, to say, make sure that you start from a place where you're saying all these things. But it's totally fine, because it's just like it's all funny games until the heart attack scene, at which point I finally confused, but it was like, oh right, you need somewhere to go, you know, you want to start out. So even though Sean's saying all this negative stuff, I was like smiling and laughing it off and like rolling my you know, and I thought that was I was so glad to see that. I was like, oh good, we have somewhere to go.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: So much of that is helped by the fact that then you have Jack there to not be laughing along with you. It really sets up that there's some like Chet's like a little offended, You're clearly laughing it off, and you've got Jack in the middle, who's like this is awkward, right, Well it really it's.
Speaker 2: Funny because it's because Jack didn't grow up with Chet. Jack is like ten year old Sean here. He's so excited, he is the best I'm going to get a chance to be with my dad. And then there's the actual Sean going like he's out of here the second he gets a chance.
Speaker 3: Which is a classic charisma trap, right when you have somebody who's a complete narcissist charisma it's like when they look at you when they spend time with you, like I am the center of their universe and then they don't care about you, and.
Speaker 2: It's like, right, oh, yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Know and if and yeah, I've definitely had this experience where you see that happening to somebody where you know, you're like, oh, they're doing their things, this person, and this person's going to get their heart broken, like we've all thought that. It's very well well laid out.
Speaker 2: Yeah and common in actors.
Speaker 1: Frankly, yeah yeah, Chet adds on his way to the pool table, just as sure as I'm winning this next game. But Sean has a different idea and picks up a pool queue for a challenge of his own. And then we're still in the student union. It's a little later. There's one striped ball left on the table and Sean's eyeing it for the win. He hits it right into the pocket and everyone cheers, and.
Speaker 3: Now ball and now we definitely I am not a pool shark, like mister will.
Speaker 1: Frail was not done by somebody shoot me?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, like I was.
Speaker 2: While I was lying on the sho they couldn't hit the nine.
Speaker 3: Dude, I am so bad at pool, Like I finally just stop, I finally don't even play anymore because it's so not fun, Like I ruin everybody's game. It's like I just make it. It's like golf, it's like I'm so bad that it's like we're here for eight hours. I'm so sorry. Let me just hit your I'll just do whatever. So I finally have stopped. But I was watching myself. I was like, maybe back then I thought I was good, and maybe I was okay, And sure enough when it catch the shot being made, they go.
Speaker 2: Someone else.
Speaker 3: I was already bad back then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so funny.
Speaker 2: And she plays nine ball apparently. Yeah, games oppressive.
Speaker 1: He I don't mean there how many normally?
Speaker 2: Well, eight ball is the one where you get the black ball in at the end. That's that's eight ball. Where nine ball you have to do them in order. That's all the striped ones. So when you play nine ball, you have to do them in order. Yeah, it's a faster game, but it can be more technically skillful with the playing nine ball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, He confidently rides right up to his dad to collect his winnings. Then Sean shouts out, here's your money back, guys. And I love this moment that you give your money.
Speaker 2: On the cash back and you know he needs it too. That's the thing. You know, Sean needs it, but he's like, I'm not I'm not taking money from my friends exactly.
Speaker 1: I thought it was a really it's a it's a nice character building moment again to show who Sean is.
Speaker 2: Well you're also coming off of I don't even want to take a cup of coffee from you exactly. And it's like this whole episode is about a lot of the episode is about how Sean can't afford any of this stuff and he's got a lot of cash in his hand, but he's like, I'd rather be poor than take it from my friends.
Speaker 3: It also makes it okay when Sean has such a chip on his shoulder about money later because it's otherwise you kind of want to smack him and be like you whiney bastard or whiney being so prideful. But you've seen that he is willing to give money away when it's not his, do you know what I mean? Like he is charitable himself. But yeah, because it's a really and he's defeating his father in a way, like yes, you know, So it's like all the dynamic. It's really good writing. It's like pretty perfect this whole setup. Yes, just rewrite that first.
Speaker 1: Page, I know, and he throws the cash on the table, creating an all out panic to get the money back.
Speaker 2: Check.
Speaker 1: Congratulates his son on some fine shooting, and Sean reminds him he learned it all from him. Chet tells his boys from now on there will be lots and lots of times for us to playpool. Jack warily asks, so you're really staying for good? Chet says that's the plan.
Speaker 3: He puts a year old, make a little boy.
Speaker 1: Chet puts his arms around the brothers and announces, I'm so proud to have two boys in college. He says he's going to get one of those official Penbrook University sweatshirts, and he leaves for the student store. Jack excitedly tells Sean, ever since I've been here, he's been on the road. I guess I just can't believe I'm actually going to get to spend time with my father. Sean scoffs, you're not. Jack's confused. He said he was staying. Sean explains that man doesn't know how to stay. Trust me, He'll be gone before your next class starts, and that's when Chet returns Now with a huge smile and a bright red Penbrook sweatshirt and a foam face.
Speaker 2: Here, huge smile and a small sweatshirt. That's the He needs a bigger size. Sorry, but that was he was tugging that thing on one size bigger Chet.
Speaker 1: He wants an official college tour, starting with the laboratory where they torture the mice. Then tonight Chet will treat them to dinner at Steak and SuDS. He gives the boys a big group hug. They're going to be a family. Then with his big foam finger, he points toward the door to the mice, and then we're at the apartment. Chet leads the guys in size. What a meal? He loves beef.
Speaker 3: Are just so kind of random, but anything out of his mouth.
Speaker 1: He's about to have a heart attack.
Speaker 2: I spend the day. It's like, I love me some red meat. Meat.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, Sean is mad at his brother for picking up the check. Jack brushes it off, but Sean's adamant. He said it was on him. Why you got to be such a show off, insists Chet. We'll get it next time, and he asks his dad, how about every Thursday night Steak and Sud's night Chat grins, I'm there, but Sean knows better. Don't hold your breath. Rachel enters the living room and greets everyone, forcing Chet to stop dead in his tracks. Look what somebody left in your house? He tells Rachel. I've been to three county fairs, two pig stickings and a goat rope, but I ain't never seen nothing like you.
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 2: So is Chet originally from the South? Is he from the Deep South? And he comes up to Philly and gets a woman pregnant and has Sean? Yeah, and all the others and all the other kids. Yeah, right, okay, I mean yeah, I mean he's clearly from.
Speaker 3: The Blakes from Georgia, right, right.
Speaker 2: I mean guess that's where there they're playing it from, right, Okay.
Speaker 1: Jack introduces Chet to Rachel and she says she's heard so much about him. Chet asks, did they tell you my wife passed on? And I'm starting to date again. Jack shoots him a look, and Chet says he's just kidding. I love the dear woman, wherever the hell she is. Meanwhile, Sean is on the couch looking very moody. Rachel decides she wants to get a picture of their family for her scrap book. I don't know why we had to say what she needed a picture for. She'd just be like, no, let me get a picture of you guys. I don't know why she had to be like for my scrap book.
Speaker 2: So is that scrap book also just hundreds of pictures of little kids sitting on Santa's lp.
Speaker 1: Yes, from Santa's littlpers. I mean, she's never mentioned it before, but it is just right after she collected those polaroids. So Chet grins whatever your pretty little redhead desires. As Rachel turns and Chet asks Jack what is she six'? Seven he jokes that she could eat a pie off of his. Head rachel returns with her camera and tells the boys to get. Together jack And chedd are grinning from ear to, ear But sean still doesn't look too. Thrilled rachel, says, Smile, sean it's your. Dad sean gives a week smile and she takes the.
Speaker 2: PICTURE i thought all that looked just Like, riderstrong take you a. Picture none that was. Different it's kind of like, this and it's, like come, On, Riders and then he's kind of half, smiles, like, yeah just taking a picture with the rider every.
Speaker 1: Day Then chet decides he wants a picture Of jack with his future daughter in. Law rachel And jack oblige just As eric walks. In and now this is the second episode in a row where there's been a moment where she, says you, know in the last one she said she wanted five, kids and he says he wants, one maybe, Two and then he changes his mind when he hears that she wants. Five and now he's, calling they're, really in my, opinion they're setting up where this is.
Speaker 2: Going, yeah they're setting it up right. Now this is the. Start this is also the fifth time Of eric walking in on something With jack And rachel touching each. Other and, yeah it's like it's just the new.
Speaker 1: Thing, yeah, yep chat waves Hey. Eryl then he Tells jack to hold her. Tight eric does not like, this so he tries to pry them apart and Asks, chet how you? Doing when are you? Leaving jack answers he's, Not he's. Staying rachel's so happy to hear, this But sean interrupts the happy. Moment CAN i just clear something? Up the man is not. Staying he never, has he never. Will chet's had Enough you've been busting my chops SINCE i got. Here what is your? Problem sean, ASKS i don't have any. Problems what would make you THINK i have any? Problems rachel hops in and gleefully asks how about? Cake sean says he's not, hungry But rachel fetches it. Anyway it's her famous homemade double fudge whipped cream. Cake chet says he'd love. Some eric answers the ringing phone and, responds, yeah he's right. Here he hands it To chet and apparently it's his Friend, tommy but not the little Orphan tommy That eric brought home For. Christmas, also how?
Speaker 3: Different call him?
Speaker 1: Here he's given them.
Speaker 2: The number he gave him the. Number, OKAY i FIGURE i thought about that, too and THEN i figured somebody who's a wanderer and.
Speaker 1: Reach for exactly here's Where i'm gonna be, This i'm staying with my. Boys here's.
Speaker 2: There just reach me at this.
Speaker 1: Number, yeah, exactly so Different. Tommy not sure why there was such a name shortage on boy it meets we're.
Speaker 2: Old but the same, why same. Reason everybody's last name Is williams or.
Speaker 1: Or was it A Jonathan?
Speaker 2: Jonathan?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well to be fair we had Three williams on our.
Speaker 2: SHOW i, know, yeah that's so. True that's. True that's, True.
Speaker 1: AND i guess as far as confusing names, go it's not that confusing that it's Not tommy The orphans.
Speaker 2: Or he And tommy are in some kind of scheme, Together tommy and The orphan that would make ge.
Speaker 3: Him a job In.
Speaker 1: Vegas over the, Phone chet asks how much are they? Paying he clears his throat after hearing the number and softly says he'll get back to him on. That what do we think About blake's? Acting pretty? Good pretty?
Speaker 3: Good, yeah pretty?
Speaker 2: Good solid antenna. Too it's not not a, retractable it's the solid one piece. Antenna those were expensive At Radio.
Speaker 1: Shock oh. Yeah Once chet hangs, Up sean, asks.
Speaker 2: So when you leave?
Speaker 1: It chet fights. Back that shows you how much you. KNOW i just got offered the best JOB i ever, had dealing blackjack In. Vegas but you didn't hear me SAY i was going to take, it did, You sewan COUNT i didn't hear you turn it. Down chet insists he's going to turn it. Down he's just keeping his options. Open sean is, fuming that is so like. You you always do this over and over and over. Again you come into, town you make all these, promises and just WHEN i think we're actually going to get, close you take off. Again then the realization Hits, Sean oh my, God i'm. You chet asks what he's talking, about And sean, EXPLAINS i can't keep a. RELATIONSHIP i drive all my friends, AWAY i hurt EVERYBODY i care, about AND i wanted to be like, really the only part of that is the relationship. Storyline you haven't really Put corey's still your best. Friend sean And tapanga have actually become more.
Speaker 2: Friends sean And angela were. ARE i, mean he had a decent relationship with her until he ran.
Speaker 1: Right but THAT i. UNDERSTAND i understand him.
Speaker 2: The one that's the one.
Speaker 1: Part i've got somebody who loves me AND i can't even you, know, LIKE.
Speaker 2: I don't know that's WHAT i should have.
Speaker 3: Been, yeah, yeah, YEAH i take care of my.
Speaker 2: Pig, NO i mean you're incredibly.
Speaker 3: Loyal, YEAH i, Think, yeah that connection could have been made Without, yeah it could have just been about, romance, yeah, right or just not being able to commit just in. General, right it's just the idea of, LIKE i just this is WHY i can't.
Speaker 1: Commit, yes because even if we think ABOUT i was into, photography THEN i was into. THIS i have a hard time making a choice in my life and sticking with, it like, You so even commitment to WHAT i want to, be you're you, know like if it had just been an overall thing of, like the only Thing i've learned from you is how to not stick with.
Speaker 2: Anything, yeah but, THAT i mean that doesn't even really work because he's in. COLLEGE i mean he's, Like sean's on the right path right. Now so the only thing that isn't right is. Angela, yeah so, YEAH i should have just been. Romantic, Yeah jack butts, in take it.
Speaker 1: Easy sean says this doesn't concern, him But jack reminds him That chet's his father. Too chet changes the. Subject he's going to eat some of this, cake but after a bite he Breaks, Hey, Okay i'll Call. Tommy i'll tell Him i'm not taking the damn. Job you. Happy Then chet looks disoriented and grabs his. Chest he's in. Pain jack And seawan get their dad over to the, couch And chet slumps down without saying a. Word and we're in the. Hospital jack And sean are pacing in the. Hallway jack says his hand feels like it's gonna fall off from all that. Paperwork sean can't believe what he's. Hearing he's in there with a heart attack and you're out here complaining about. Forms jack explains they weren't going to treat him until somebody filled out the. Paperwork Until, sean he's really been out of it since the ambulance. Ride sean, argues, well maybe you're not going through WHAT i. Am jack doesn't want to talk about this right. Now he just wants to go see their, father and they march off To chet's hospital. Room the boys.
Speaker 3: Entered him listening to, that listening to you summarize it, BACK i don't think we need this, Scene, no, no because we say all of this l later. Me you, know we could have just started in the hospital. Room i'm curious why this scene because it's like all the tension come out between me And jack in front of like for the rest of the. Episode, Yeah AND i was just, like, yeah, yeah little.
Speaker 2: Have been about the money not because, again even if you have this, scene it wouldn't have been awful for shond to have been, like, oh, yeah the, paperwork thanks for. That. EXACTLY i, know you, know because it's that's not about, money that's just about filling something out and.
Speaker 1: One person has to fill it. Out there's you, know it's not.
Speaker 2: Like, right so, yeah so how much does the room? Cost that's when it's then like you wait a, minute, yeah.
Speaker 3: You're, right which is the next, thing like you just start with a, tension but you know Where i'm with him in the, room and then he comes in and THEN i attack. Him it's all the same stuff, happens like.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, no you're. Right not not a needed. Scene so then we're In chet's hospital. Room the boys enter to See chet lying in the bed with his eyes. Closed sean surveys the big room And jack, EXPLAINS i thought it'd be nice if he had his own. Room shan, demands whatever this nice room, Costs i'm paying. Half jack tells him not to, worry his stepfather is willing to. Help this only Pisses sean off. More my dad AND i do not need charity from your. Family he Asks jack multiple times how much the room, costs and Finally jack reluctantly tells him two thousand. Dollars sean nods, okay And jack clarifies a Day, Sean.
Speaker 2: I'm, curious how rich do you Think jack's dad? IS i mean he grew up like, wealthy like wealthy will last, episode, Right so if he's driving a far he's he grew up like with millions of, dollars, RIGHT.
Speaker 3: I, think so okahamas.
Speaker 2: Everything, yeah, Right so he grew up a rich kid that's like upper middle class but like a rich, kid which.
Speaker 3: Going back to When jack was, introduced like if he had shown up in like really expensive, clothes you, know like they just didn't they have like, that like the you, know and even though he's a nice, guy if he could come across as like a rich kid when we first met him would have.
Speaker 2: HELPED i, Think, yeah, YEAH i.
Speaker 1: Agree sean, yells what are they out of their freaking? Minds sean reaches into his pocket and Gives jack twenty dollars to, start WHICH i. Love it's, great great moment take both boys walk over to their dad's bedside and realize his grave. Condition and then we're In topanga And angela's. Dorm corey is reading a beautifully written letter about his love For, tapanga and we.
Speaker 2: Really lobster over his, shoulder hide over his. Shoulder giant. Lobster, yep didn't see. It oh, man it's All i've been seeing. Now it's LIKE i don't see any of the. ACTING i just see lobsters. Everywhere so.
Speaker 1: Crazy, well we realize he's reading. Vows corey smirks it To, panga sitting on her, Bed this is really, sweet BUT i Think i'd rather wait and till our wedding day to hear your. Vows topega reveals those aren't her, vows those are his. Vows corey's taken. Back he appreciates the, input but don't you THINK i can write my own wedding. Vows topenga, Smiles you're, right why don't you. Try angela is on her side of the, room, now interested to hear what he comes up. With corey, begins sometimes two people who love each other are in, love and because of that, love they love each other To pega just stares at. Him he, caves all, right you write the. Vows she's happy to hear, it then moves on to the next topic their wedding. Night corey's excitement is palpable To. Penga she corrects Him, bermuda and he, Replies i'll call you whatever you. Want so, funny she, Clarifies we're gonna honeymoon In. Bermuda it's the perfect, climate fabulous, food and just about the best darn snorkeling this side of, Anywhere corey, admits BUT i don't want to be in the. OCEAN i want to be in the room a. Lot tapanga asks why he's so obsessed with, sex and he clearly explains BECAUSE i don't get Any there's a knock at the door And corey tells her to hold that. Thought, kenny the pool player from, earlier pokes his head in to Tell corey he has a, Call So corey Tells tapanga to hold that thought and. Leaves, meanwhile To, pega gushingly Asks, angela isn't my, patient Little corey? Cute angela admits he's not going to be so cute when his patient little head. Explodes then a Shocked corey. Returns he tells the girls That sean's father had a heart. Attack then we're back In chet's hospital. Room chet wakes up and Sees sean sitting beside the. Bed what?
Speaker 2: HAPPENED a giant lobster over his? SHOULDER i mean right over your shoulder it. Is it's it's not even hidden at this, point so it was. AMAZING i mean it Was sue AND i again go, like, oh oh my, god it's right. THERE i mean it's, like, yeah it wasn't even like you had to spot it.
Speaker 3: ANYMORE i can't believe they NEVER i, mean do you think and then you.
Speaker 2: Cut back to it again and it was, Gone so it was like it was.
Speaker 3: Cool so maybe they pulled it after the first. Take, yeah that's probably what. Happened if it, was LIKE i think we can see it on. CAMERA i wonder all that. Happened they were, like we got to pull the lobsters too. Up it wasn't even.
Speaker 2: Hidden oh my.
Speaker 1: God So chet wants to know what. Happened did you hit? Me sean tells him he had a heart. Attack chet looks, around where are all the other. Patients sean says he got his own, room And chet's eyes go. Wide, well that can't be, good But sean tells him it's because Of, jack who's outside filling out. Paperwork sean wants to talk about what he was saying earlier back at the, apartment but right Then eric And rachel walk. In rachel is freaking. Out oh my, God oh my. God chet wants to know what the heck is wrong with. Her eric, explains she thinks she caused your heart attack with her cake of. Death rachel clarifies she didn't think the cake caused. It it was a contributing. Factor eric, agrees while bracing his own. Heart, well that sucker was rich. MAN i still That chess means myself.
Speaker 2: Get some levity in there. Somewhere so.
Speaker 3: Funny BUT i didn't quite realize that there really is No bee story, no BECAUSE i thought, maybe, yeah like WHEN i when The Corey tapanga stuff, STARTED i was, like, thought it's going to be.
Speaker 2: A vow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Runner but there it's all just one off. Jokes they never come. Back.
Speaker 1: Interesting. Wow, no THE b storyline is really all the all The it's multiple different relationships and how and how they interact and are changed In shawn's life based on his.
Speaker 2: DAD i would, say if THE a story Is chet And, sean THE bt story Is sean And Jack jack, exactly so, yeah.
Speaker 1: And then A c storyline Is sean And angela in relation To tapanga And corey and. Family, Oh, Alan Amy feeney arrives and now this Is sean's, family but also his. Dad and you know it's really it's Like sean.
Speaker 2: Is the true.
Speaker 1: Centerpiece and everything is about their relation to.
Speaker 3: Him.
Speaker 1: Yeah chet, says come, here, darling And eric starts to walk. Over not, you you. Moron chett Tells rachel it wasn't her cake of death that gave him the heart, attack it Was shawn's yelling and. Screaming sean decides to go Find jack to tell him he's. Awake in the, Meantime rachel admits To chet that she was worried about. Him eric jumps, in the way your eyes were bugging out of your head was totally. Cool chet looks At rachel and creepily admits it's worth living just to look at this lovely. Face rachel And eric look at him with big, smiles And rachel asks if there's anything she can do to. Help chet does have one favorite Ask tomorrow Is jack's, birthday so Maybe rachel could go pick something up nice that he can give to. Him rachel is more than happy to do. That in, fact she thinks she has the perfect thing in. Mind before she, leaves she Kisses chet on the cheek and tells him to take care of. Himself eric stays behind and puts on a surgical. Glove just, try try and.
Speaker 2: Relax i'm pretty SURE i was gonna say you had to, him because there.
Speaker 1: Was no way they put in the script That eric puts on a glove and tells him to try and. RELAX i am convinced it was an.
Speaker 2: Ape you also see if you Watch blake's, face he's laughing because this is this is my go to. Joke every TIME i go to a, HOSPITAL i always put on a glove and, go all, right just try to. Relax, so, yeah this has gotta be totally.
Speaker 1: MEAN i thought it in the. MOMENT i was, like that was not. Planned and then we're in the hospital waiting. Room jack arrives to Tell sean their dad is asleep. Again sean, nods sleep is. Good jack has a crazy thought this whole ordeal could be a blessing in. Disguise sean doesn't. Understand jack Explains chet's gonna have to slow down so he may stick around for a. While sean shakes his. Head a, second he gets out of. Here he's going straight To. Vegas jack tells him he doesn't know that for, sure But sean argues he does Just Then Amy Allen poeney walk out of the elevator to See sean put himself. Down he tells his, BROTHER i am. Him jack tries to tell him he's, not But sean won't. Listen why else would he not be able to get close to. People he Uses jack as an. Example they're, brothers but they're not close at. All this appears to Hurt. Jack Then alan walks over To. Sean he wants to know how they're holding. Up sean acts like he's doing just. Fine jack thanks them for coming. Down pheoene tells the boys to take all the time they, need don't worry about, school And amy adds if they ever need to, Talk she's.
Speaker 3: There no That phoene's like in charge of all of. College she can.
Speaker 1: He now works at the. COLLEGE i can say he is the college he. Is, ye don't Worry.
Speaker 2: Peene, pepper don't worry about. Anything i've got it taken care. Of, wait what can you do?
Speaker 1: That sean doesn't say, anything So alan pulls him in. Closer, sean void of any, emotion insists he's.
Speaker 2: Fine this so if when the whole entire series is, DONE i think one of my favorite never really, addressed never really gotten, into never really establish isn't, right but never really delved into anymore than it. Did favorite relationships of mine Is alan And shawn.
Speaker 3: Agreed couldn't agree. More, man it's a. Rate it's like. That remember remember that MOMENT i pointed out when we were watching. It when what was? It it was During we're in the driveway and, says come here with your. Family it was a. Moment, yeah it wasn't like a big. Moment it was just, like, yeah, oh you can stay here because your. Family and Then alan went on about something and it was, LIKE i love. That it's like this low, key incredible connection and it's great in some. WAYS i wish we could have hung a lantern on it for an.
Speaker 2: Episode, yeah it's a Phenomenal, yeah something that they, do something where you don't know what's going, on but they end up trapped in a car. Together so something where there's just scenes of the two of you for a b story would have been really great because it's a wonderful relationship between the two.
Speaker 1: Characters it really, is and you feel it anytime there's a scene like this where there's a conflict or an issue and Now alan And sean have to be in the same room about, it because even in that episode we didn't the peeing on the cop with the alcohol episode when he really is hard on, you there's those moments where you're, Like, wow you wouldn't talk like that to somebody unless you you did feel like a father to.
Speaker 2: Them, yeah you, know unless you love.
Speaker 1: It, Ah and, uh you feel it here too that you can see That alan sees this is this is. Big this is a big moment In sean's. Life it's affecting him in more ways than. One and the way you respond to it writer As sean really trying to pretend like you're, fine but it's so, clear it's just bubbling beneath the. Surface it's so.
Speaker 3: Many he goes on to say he's gonna take take, me take care of, me you. Know he basically says he's going to adopt.
Speaker 2: Me, like, yeah it's, great it really is.
Speaker 1: Great we're back In chet's hospital. ROOM a nurse is Adjusting CHET'S iv and he asks if she can slip a little tequila in. There the nurse, retorts you mean to go with that cigar you're hiding under the. Mattress chet, chuckles you Know i'm dating this, tall beautiful, redhead But i'd drop her in a second for, you sweet. Buns the nurse looks at. Him you repulse. Me, amy who just entered With alan And, feenie gets a kick out of. This well he's. Alert she Grabs chet's hand and he lights up when he Sees. Phoene that's some college they got you. At you're moving up in the, world huh with that pool table and. Everything phoene, asks, maybe when you're feeling, better we play a little game of nine. Ball chet offers fifty. Bucks i'll let you. Break phoene nods you're. On Then chet Asks alan for a big. Favor can you look after my boys After i'm. Gone alan tells him he isn't going, anywhere And amy Assures chet he isn't. Dying chet, EXPLAINS i don't mean. DYING i Mean i'm moving To Las. Vegas alan wants. Clarification wouldn't you rather be here with your? Boys chet simply, responds please look after. Them alan And amy exchange a, look And alan, responds of, Course i'll look after, them But i'm not the one they. Need and then we're back in the hospital waiting. Room sean is passed out in one of the chairs When, Angela, corey And topanga. Arrive corey wakes him up and asks how he's. Doing sean says he's, good he was just resting his. Eyes he makes eye contact With angela And topega asks how your? Dad sean tells them the doctor mentioned bypass surgery To peka asks if they can go in and see, him And sean says his dad would like. That she, leaves But corey And angela hang. Back after a brief, Pause angela Gives sean a big hug and follows To, panga now alone with his best. Friend corey asks If sean is. Okay sean tells him he's lying in, there he's. SICK i should be putting my arms around him and telling him THAT i love, him BUT i can't BECAUSE i am still so angry at. Him corey takes a seat next to. Him you, know all these years he's been sort of blowing in and out of your, life but now you got him right in there and he isn't going. Anywhere Maybe i'm not the one you should be talking. To and, like even just reading it, back it makes me so. Emotional but you, know that is such a very very real thing that you go through when you have a complicated relationship with, somebody and to see it expressed so c, clearly to See sean be so in touch with it, too for all of us who have rooted For sean and have seen the way his parents have treated, HIM i mean they are terrible.
Speaker 3: Parents, Yeah and it's but it's it's also just like this is this is all that sort of what we've been making fun of this entire, season you, know this sort of, emotion this is like this is the well written version of. That whereas Watching sean avoid his emotions is so actually, exciting you, know it's actually like it makes you want to lean in other scenes Where i'm just Like i'm not, Ready, Angela i'm not, ready without any sense of like why the character is doing that just feels, performative whereas this, LIKE i, Mean i'm basically not doing, anything and yet your heart's breaking and you see And corey doesn't even Have it's not like it's not. Dramatic it's it's it's avoiding drama and it's so much more. Compelling so it's like to difference between melodrama and drama you, know this is just Just sean's Saying i'm okay To, alan and you know it's so much more. Effective SO i just wish the show had figured that out. EARLIER i guess you KNOW i had. DONE i leaned into this as effectively as it's doing in this. Episode, yeah, yeah it's, great it's really.
Speaker 1: Good so then we're back In chet's hospital. Room sean is reading by his sleeping dad's side When jack walks in and, whispers how's he. Doing sewan admits he looks so. Helpless jack nods in. Agreement his nurse didn't think seem to think he was so. HELPLESS i offered her a job to take care of him when he gets, home AND i can still hear her. Laughing seawan argues he doesn't need a. NURSE i can take care of, him But jack thinks he needs professional, care which is something he can arrange to. Happen sean, Scoffs, wow you got this whole situation figured, out don't. You jack says he's just trying to take care of. Them sean fights, back, WELL i guess it's easy to be efficient when you're not feeling WHAT i. Am jack reminds him that he Is chet's son. Too But sean, wonders are you when you were a little? Kid did you sit next to him while he WATCHED tv all night, long hoping that he'd say something to. You did you ever once clean up after him when he came home? Drunk and when he didn't come home at? All did you lay in bed thinking it was something you did that drove him? Away and when he was, gone did you walk around and make believe that everything was okay when inside it was tearing you? Apart?
Speaker 2: Oh so.
Speaker 3: Great it's so great because it's like it's finally hearing the truth About, check you, know which we've alluded to for so many mares And plant and it's like it's really. Effective it's like a really because you Love chet as he as an audience, member you're yond by him and it's so. Funny and then to have this, yeah it's like oh, god, yeah.
Speaker 1: And then really the response being, NO i didn't get to do any of those. Things that's another very real. Thing the Life.
Speaker 3: Punch it's a great. Scene it's the dialogue is really on point in the.
Speaker 2: Scene If matt had matched your, intensity it wouldn't have this. Worked, yeah it was really really. Good, yeah it really.
Speaker 1: Was You, SEE i KNEW i had a father and he was gone from me my whole. Life sean jumps back. In but you turned out, Okay, jack you know who you. Are you deal with. Things Me i'm just another version of. Him right Then chet opens his. Eyes Sean seawn's. Embarrassed oh, God, dad you're. Up check. Continues i'm. SORRY i didn't do right by your. Son i'm a lousy. Father, sean with a crack in his, voice asks you heard WHAT i. Said chet responds with tears in his. Eyes, Yeah you've been saying it your whole. LIFE i just never. Listened i'm listening. Now sean walks over and bursts into. Tears i'm really screwed, Up. Dad it's Like i'm watching myself do these things THAT i hate AND i can't stop. Them why couldn't you just stick? Around WASN'T i good enough for? You chet's crying now, Too, No, SEAN i wasn't good enough for. You he extends his arms and the two of them. Hug sean cries, OUT i need, you, dad And chet REPLIES i need you, too.
Speaker 3: Son this was such A i, remember like the first run through because it was, like you, know you've rehearsed something like. THIS i remember like whenever you rehearse, it but you don't really do, it you, know you don't fully commit in the say what you want to, save you, Know AND i remember the first Run i'm pretty sure it was the first. RUNDER i don't think it. Was the actual tabment was one of the. First the run through is, Uh blake just losing, it you, know like seeing me cry and then he started crying and THEN i LIKE i remember him after the scene being, LIKE i forget how he put, it but you, know it was something to the effect of like we just bonded so. Much and for, him he had never he'd always thought of himself as a comedian who, acted and that this, moment this scene and that, rehearsal that run, through or maybe it was. Shooting he like took me aside to, say LIKE i feel, like you, know we were, acting and like it changed me and this was like a real AND i remember being really bonded to him in, that you, know and we were already, close but it was that moment of, like oh, wow this is so, great like it was he was like it was sort of a revelation for, him like it was you, know, well he was.
Speaker 2: Great in the scene, too even even leading up to the big emotional, stuff just trying to catch his breath and he's out of breath as he's doing his. Dialogue he was.
Speaker 3: Great AND i THINK i think this stuff made him very. Uncomfortable as you, know he had not come up through the ranks as an actor doing theater or doing ever doing. Drama he was, always you, know a character doing the comedy. Stuff AND i remember him being he was very affected by this in like a really positive. Way was LIKE i think it he knew that he could do this and he could actually enjoy that process and be. Vulnerable and what.
Speaker 1: A compliment to you that really what he felt was that you elevated his.
Speaker 2: Game, yeah he brought it up each.
Speaker 3: Other, yeah we both just like you. Know and THEN i remember turning from this moment and like SEEING i Cannot i'll never, forget, like, uh that sense of, panic like when you, know we think he's dying and looking At Matt lawrence And matt like just. TEARS i don't even know if it's the take they use because you can't really, see but we're Seeing matt just tears like dropping down his. FACE i was, like Oh, god he's in it, too like We're it was so like we were in like the three of us were just in this like it felt it felt like, trauma LIKE i remember it like a real trauma. Memory you.
Speaker 2: Know that's like the.
Speaker 1: Scene really does play that. Way it plays so.
Speaker 3: Real. Yeah, Really And i've had so many PEOPLE i mean this episode in, general it's not this, scene BUT i Mean i've had a lot of people that conventions them in just in, life say like had to having lost a parent or you know that this this this episode really really really affected. Them And i'm, sure, yeah it's you, KNOW i THINK i think that's as much as we were talking about the tone and all that stuff in the, beginning it's like it's a huge. Swing i'm sure turn off some, people maybe a lot of, people but for the people who did get through to this is like a this is a hard hitting.
Speaker 2: Episode so you, also you this is the perfect, example And you've talked about this a number of, times, writer this is the difference between drama and. Melodrama this is drama for a, Purpose this is real. Drama this is traumatic and it's something that. Matters it's not just angst for no. Reason and that's why it hits this hard because it's it's. Grounded and even when you.
Speaker 3: Think about like The turner hospital, scene, RIGHT i, mean think about the cult dynamics versus your father's like the cult. DYNAMICS i, mean as much as we were committing wholeheartedly to The i'm Finding god and all, that and it was played for an emotional, truth it didn't feel earned by the, story whereas this is just literally earned by the.
Speaker 2: Story not talking, exactly there's no interaction between the, two whereas you and you And blake are just.
Speaker 3: It's like this whole scene is just it's really an effective.
Speaker 2: Scene it really is very much is.
Speaker 1: Well chet promises that this time he's staying and he's not going. Anywhere sean, asks you mean it BECAUSE i feel like you're the only one who can help. Me chet proclaims we're a. Family it's about damn time we started acting like. One then he turns To, Jack, hey you got a birthday coming. Up he reaches for his side drawer and retrieves a rapt. Present just As jack is tearing open his, Gift chet's eyes go wide and he reaches for his chest. Again sean notices and asks what's. Wrong chet tells him to call, somebody sending both boys into a. Spiral.
Speaker 2: Jack this is Where i'm. Sorry they. Needed they needed the sound of the, beep, YOU i, Miss AND i really wish they had even just a low hospital, yes, yes do you hear code blue or something like that to give it just that little more? HEIGHTENED i agree.
Speaker 1: With, YOU i, did. MISS i expected when he grabbed his. CHEST i, Expected and where's the? Beat so where's the hospital? Sound jack quickly runs, out yelling for a. Doctor sean holds his hand And chet Whispers i'm, Sorry sean and then goes. Silent and then we are in the hospital waiting, room the entire, family Including feenie or sitting around With eric balancing on a. WHEELCHAIR i was, like whoa will balancing on?
Speaker 2: That i'm pretty, good pretty good at.
Speaker 1: That sean is stressing their dad has been up there for a long. Time in that, Moment, morgan who is in this, episode Tells sean And jack she helps their dad will be, okay.
Speaker 3: Very.
Speaker 2: Weird.
Speaker 3: WEIRD i, MEAN i GUESS i had to, explain AND.
Speaker 2: I guess she has to they have to fulfill her contract and she has to say. SOMETHING i need a certain.
Speaker 1: Number BUT i think if you're there and you don't say, anything or you just considered, background in which, case like even if they are willing to pay, you you can't do.
Speaker 2: THAT i don't.
Speaker 3: Know, NO i think they have they have to pay for a certain amount of, episodes so they decided to put her. In they could have just paid her for the episode of not had her there all. Week you know, what you write somebody off the, show you still can just pay.
Speaker 1: Them, Right and you're just, saying, then just don't have her as a member of the family in the, hospital because, like why couldn't they just ask her to be there and then just not say. Anything BUT i think she has to be there.
Speaker 2: Family then it's like, who but it's also. Who then it's who's watching, her who's with? Her so it's like that just everybody's never.
Speaker 3: Bothered, YOU.
Speaker 1: I, know it's it was just also in the way it was LIKE i think it was supposed to, be, like let's not make it super, heavy but the tone of, it it feels very very. Odd jack nods his, head so DO. I phoenie assures Them chet is a, fighter and besides he owes me a game of. Pool sean Asks jack if he's going to open his, presence So jack tears it open to see. Inside he admits that's something he doesn't. Have, then a doctor played by an actor with one of the weirdest jobs In Boy Meets World, history makes his way into the waiting. Room jack And seawan spring up for the news and he's as with tears in his. Eyes we lost.
Speaker 2: Him have you remember what he said to? You, yeah, dude, absolutely.
Speaker 3: Yeah he pulled me. Aside he pulled me into around the. Corner he's, like come with, Me come with. Me and we went around the corner and he's, Like i'm going to tell you a story with my.
Speaker 2: Eyes.
Speaker 3: OKAY i was, like, okay.
Speaker 2: Okay he just pulled me, aside going to.
Speaker 1: Tell you before he did that scene that we lost.
Speaker 3: Him it was like on the day of the, show he was so he was so in. It he was.
Speaker 2: So because the.
Speaker 3: Story with this and it's so great because he does all the emotion that correct, well it's it's so much more, effective like what are?
Speaker 2: We what are? WE i?
Speaker 3: Mean if you notice in in whenever this scene plays out on A tv. Show it's always from a. Distance you always shoot it through a window down a hallway and you watch somebody go oh and cry from far. Away becau because when you're too close to this, intensity it never quite lives up to it never feels it never feels, real even if it, is you, know so you always if you every time somebody gets death news in a, movie it's played from behind around a, corner just for audio or, whatever and so it's a very difficult and they kind of like force the moment to be. Played and yet so he plays the emotion and then it cuts away TO i think somebody's dropping their. Head so it's not on just me because it's too. Much it's so it's like a. Lot so, yeah it's it's it's an interesting.
Speaker 2: It's a great moment for an. Actor it's not particularly real because a doctor couldn't have that much emotion for every patient that he, loses he or she. LOSES i, mean they're usually kind of cold about. It not, cold but they this is my. Job If i'm going to die every time somebody, DIES i can't do. This so but as an, actor he took that and it's a perfect example of a guest star coming. In you've got two, lines, yeah and you're still you can?
Speaker 3: IT i mean watching, THIS i WAS i was upset BECAUSE i had such a clear actor instinct THAT i didn't, do which IS i, like the SECOND i get the, News sean should have just walked. Away sean should have just turned and walked, away, Right like that's that is exactly What sean would, do right like we lost. Him, Boom i'm not going to stand. Here i'm not going to be in front of all these people like and like AND i don't know IF i maybe said that and they wouldn't let me or. What But like to, me WHEN i was watching the, SCENE i was, like what Would sean? Do he would be in that elevator in about zero point two. Seconds he would never want to be with this half fake brother behind. Me like it's, like just get me the hell out of, here like none of these people this is or like, AGAIN i knew this would, happen you, know the sense of, like oh, GREAT i, left you know he left it he left? Again that would it would be anger and it would be get me the hell out of. HERE i don't want to be with these. People and so the fact THAT i didn't do. THAT i know that's.
Speaker 1: Interesting everyone is. Shocked the doctor explains his heart wasn't strong. Enough the boys can't. Speak the doctor apologizes and To panga picks Up jack's. Gift it's a framed photograph Of, Chet sean And, jack the photo That rachel took. Earlier we zoom in and that's the end of our. EPISODE i think we.
Speaker 3: Should do LIKE i would, just we should make Just rachel's.
Speaker 1: Scrapbook what do you in? There pictures of her xx is crossed over, it bottom.
Speaker 2: Of, hair of toenails of her.
Speaker 1: X, pinderis board of, robes favorite, robes bath, bombs, ye, cooking cooking stuff yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: The recipe for her special chocolate chocolate huh.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's a good. Idea let's make one of.
Speaker 2: Those.
Speaker 1: Merch join us for our next, episode recap season, six episode, Fourteen Getting, hitch which originally Aired january twenty, ninth nineteen ninety. Nine as, always you can follow us On instagram Pod Meets World. Show you can send us your emails Podmeets worldshow at gmail dot. Com and we've got.
Speaker 2: Merch today's merch sponsor By steak And SuDS come On.
Speaker 1: Podmeetsworldshow dot com writer send us.
Speaker 3: Out we love you, All. Poddsmith Podmeets world is an iHeart podcast producer hosted By Danielle, Fischel wilfridell And Ryder Strong executive Producers Jensen carp And Amy, Sugarman executive in charge of, Production Danielle, romo producer and, Editor Taras ubasch, Producer Maddie moore engineer And Boy Meets World Superman Easton. Out our theme song is By Kyle morton Of. Typhoon follow us On instagram At Podmets World, show or email us At Podmeats World show at gmail dot com