Speaker 1: From UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn this stuff they don't want you to know. A production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hello, welcome back to the show. My name is Matt, my name is Noman.
Speaker 3: They called me Bed. We're joined as always with our super producer Dylan the Tennessee pal Fagan. Most importantly, you argue you are here. That makes this the stuff they don't want you to know. Now, guys, I'm thinking for the beginning of this we get into like, let's really set the scene, Dylan Andrew. Could we get some kind of like ominous you know, espionage music? Perfect? Yeah, No, give us like you're great at this. Noom, give us like a give us like a want to beat. Okay, okay, I like it. I like it. Here we go. I love a throat seeing. So we're setting the scene. A fellow conspiracy realist. Let's say, Matt, Noel, you and I have all gathered together. We're off the books. We're in and out of the way cafe. It's a side street in Vienna and uh, Noel, Matt, we're grabbing coffee. Uh, whichever you like to order. Remember, there is symbolism involved. So we're having a polite conversation with a well dressed, unremarkable, middle aged gentleman. And we've all, you know, all four of us have seen this guy here and there at previous parties. He speaks with a refined pod Oxford tented English accent. Yet we know him as a representative of our friends in Moscow. In this conversation, which is polite as pie, he speaks for Moscow. And so he comes to us, Matt Nole and he he we're getting You know, Nole's got cafe Olay, Matt, what kind of thing do you get at a coffee bar?
Speaker 2: Keeps barkeep? Yes, yes, I'll have I'll have one. Bailey's in a shoe.
Speaker 3: Okay, Bailey's in a shoe. Cafe Ola, h call me espresso.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: We're having this very polite conversation with this guy, and he places two documents on the table. The first document is a police report, and this police report, translated from Russian, details a fatal car crash earlier that week, just that week in Saint Petersburg. Turns out a US diplomat pulled a hit and run after are colliding with a young man on a motorbike. The second document shows a photo that all of us recognize. It's a man that we internally call John Smith. He's been held in Russian custody for three years now. And this well dressed man putting these things again politely on the table in this out of the way cafe. He says, My friends, we can all agree it's best to keep things collegiate. We are at a wonderful time in our conversation, So why rock the boat? Surely we can figure this out together.
Speaker 4: Geez, yeah, I'll do whatever you say, buddy. That accent.
Speaker 2: Is this story referencing the actual crash and death that involved Harry Dunn.
Speaker 3: Which we will get to. Uh, let's say, loosely inspired by possible events.
Speaker 2: Okay, wow, yeah we do? What do we do?
Speaker 4: It's not only for us to do. He's kind of I mean, we kind of know where things stand, right. Isn't that the whole idea that we're being strong armed at this cafe amongst polite cohorts?
Speaker 2: But wait, who were we? Why is he telling us?
Speaker 3: Are we We're uh, we're just some guys at a cafe.
Speaker 2: Weird horses.
Speaker 3: So folks, welcome to our episode on diplomatic immunity.
Speaker 2: Do you love me?
Speaker 4: I know it's a reference to Matt.
Speaker 3: Okay, we all know it, just like we're at the cafe. Yeah yeah, excuse me, uh Viennese server. Could we have one more Bailey's in a shoe another cafe Oley and espresso and my friend, Hey, would you.
Speaker 4: Like Earl Gray?
Speaker 3: Earl Gray? Sleepy time in a busy town.
Speaker 4: Let's hit a quick sponsor break and we'll be back with more on diplomatic immunity.
Speaker 3: Here are the facts, all right, what is diplomatic immunity? First off, you know, obviously it's I don't know. The weirdest thing we can say about it is it's like a cultural version of vaccination.
Speaker 4: Can we also say a real quick right up front? It's some bulls?
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, yeah. It really does seem like that, especially when you get into the real world. Examples that even people like the State Department make YouTube videos to try and explain, and when you watch them and you hear the way local law enforcement officers are supposed to interact with consulates and diplomatic.
Speaker 4: Training video from the nineties, Matt, when you're describing this I'm sorry, but feels yes, yes, okay.
Speaker 2: Cool, but animated but animated yeah, Well, and you can't show anything that actually happened or any of the specifics, but you can just illustrate what happens in these situations. So diplomatic immunity, what these things are trying to show, right, is the literal immunity that certain individual human beings have to the laws of a certain country they're operating in because they don't live there, they're on a mission there there.
Speaker 3: To the rule of law. Yeah, it's it's at the most basic level, it's the idea that certain human individuals, due to their position in one government, will be holly or partially exempt from the rule of law in another government in another regime. So this guarantees basic stuff like freedom and travel, safe passage in or out of a country. And to this point, you know, obviously it's sounds a little bit bonkers, like why are we placing some people as automatically better than other people?
Speaker 4: Question, is this the kind of thing that the current administration might start to put the kaibash on? It just seems very anti their whole vibe.
Speaker 3: Well, as we'll see, there are a lot of conspiratorial soft factors involved. That's an excellent question, and it's one that people have wrestled with for no kidding millennia. History has proven that concepts like diplomatic immunity are surprisingly ancient. You can go to Indian epics like the Ramayana, you can look through any number of examples in ancient Greece and Rome. Cultures across the world kind of have this, and across the chasms of time they kind of have this loose gentleman's agreement or understanding that if you know, King matt sends a messenger an envoy to the sultan null. The thing is, no matter what kind of news is delivered, the receiving sultan is not going to kill the messenger, not going to kill that envoid. That's the origin of the old saying, don't shoot the messenger.
Speaker 4: Unless you're the mouth of Sauron, in which case you get your head cut off.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 2: See, But guys Plutarch and Sophocles taught us about these in the stories that they wrote, and one of the primary ones that is cited often is this concept of one I guess sultan or king or somebody at the highest level of government in a country did that very thing. We're got so angry at the bad news that was delivered that he killed that person and then everyone was afraid to share information to that king that was bad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I certainly think there's way problematic issues around it that were going to get into, but in general, it is sort of a guarantee that information can be shared freely without fear of immediate retribution.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and as always, let's go to the primary source. I love you're pointing that out, Matt. The line that stands out to me, and I think to a lot of us is from Plutarch in his work Lives, where he says the first messager that gave notice of Lucullus's coming was so far from pleasing Tigrains that he had his head caught off for his pains, and no man dared to bring further information without any intelligence at all, Tigrain sat while war was already blazing around him, giving ear only to those who flattered him.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well that's the point, right, That's kind of the point of this, not the point, it's one of the main points of the State Department, and a lot of the stuff that exists under the State Department is to intelligence gather That's what all of this is about. So even as dipple mets are operating within the United States and United States diplomats are quote operating in other countries. It is this weird little game that we've talked about in our spy episodes. It isn't exactly the same thing, but it is directly tied to it.
Speaker 3: And as we'll see, there are other forms of immunity that I think trouble all of us, especially with the KSA, Saudi Nationals and some incidents in Japan where they absconded with or they leverage state power and corruption to save accountable from justice. We'll get to that towards the end as well. I mean, like this is the great point. It is not to say that everyone always respects this loose agreement, especially pre Vienna. There are so many real life horror stories about rulers who got bad news and they broke a covenant. They didn't just murder the messenger. They didn't just shoot the messenger. They would torture them in brutal ways and then send pieces of the body back as the message to that foreign power in general. To the earlier point across the span of human civilization. Everybody said, you know, this is dirty pool, this is below the belt.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, for sure. Before we go below the belt, guys, can we just quickly talk about town criers? Mm hmm, sure, yeah, I think yeah, I think we mentioned it before. I can't remember the context of the episode, but it was kind of I don't know, mind blowing in a way, but also makes a lot of sense that back in the day, specifically in the United Kingdom, it was treasonous to harm a town crier. I feel like we've talked about this before. Yes, oh, okay, okay, I didn't. I didn't realize that that we could. In a way, the crier was the diplomat of the crown like that, coming out to the people to speak right of the words of the king or the queen or whatever.
Speaker 4: It's in theory an arrangement that benefits both the people and the crown.
Speaker 3: You know, it's the Twitter of the town, right, It's the social media of the day. So if you have a problem with what's being said and you kill the platform, then now you have to find a new platform. So there's logic to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, and it's a full affront to the person who was making those statements, right, this concept right of that, and that's the way I'm thinking about consulates and diplomats now in this version, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, metonomy Like in our early you know, our opening thought experiment, this Oxford accented man speaks for Moscow very much is Moscow, and so the town crier is very much the king, and so a relative of a sovereign. Back in the cursed days of monarchies, the relative of the sovereign is autonomy. For the sovereign is the crown is speaking for and behalf thereof. So the logic being that any injury or insults to that envoy is indeed a direct attack upon the government or the regime represented. You know, like it's so weird because this was incredibly important back in the day. It was such a party foul that the intelligentsia of the time would say, if you, even if we don't have you know, modern laws, if you break this agreement, if you kill the messenger, you have violated divine protocols the gods. The gods should punish.
Speaker 4: It's an act of war at the very least, right.
Speaker 3: Yes, and happened very many times, especially as the kanate expands through so much stuff, so many examples. We can fast forward to modern diplomatic immunity. Let's call it nineteen sixty one. There's a little town in Austria called Vienna. They're known for their coffee shops. There's a thing that occurs in nineteen sixty one, the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations. This is still to this day, as we record on April eighteenth, twenty twenty five, it is still regarded as one of the bar nun top tier international agreements in all of human history, because it says, look, even if your countries are fighting, even if there is a regional or dare we say, a world war, we're all going to make a deal where you can send representatives to respond to stuff, to propose some stuff, and you can't kill them. You gotta let them get out. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, just this concept that we all need to be able to talk first about whatever it is, whether it's economic stuff, whether it's trading, you know, making some kind of trade for prisoners, you know, all of these things. We need to be able to talk at least before we start firing weapons at each other. It's a great idea. It is weird to me that it was written in nineteen sixty one, but it wasn't officially entered into force for three year well almost yeah, no, almost exactly three years in nineteen sixty four. So it's and that.
Speaker 3: You aske didn't have a version until nineteen sixty eight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it makes sense though that I guess it would take that long for enough countries to say, okay, yes we agree when everybody else sends people to us, will be careful with them and let them do whatever they want, even though it's not It isn't saying that these this the accords and this convention and everything. It gets really close to saying people can just do what they need to do in your country.
Speaker 3: It's it's very much like in personal experience. We won't spend too much time on it. It's very much like for anyone who's been to a college dormitory and you have an RA or something where they resident advisors and they say, look, I'm just a few years older than you. We're all from different places.
Speaker 4: We all got to live together, like becoming the op so quickly you know, it's all monitor right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Just don't make trouble, you know what I mean like if you if you know, you might drink a little beer, you might smoke a little pot, or just don't let people see it and don't be a dick to the other people in the door.
Speaker 4: Maybe yeah, the one flavor of RA, but then you also have the real hard nosed ones that everyone despises. But you're absolutely right then, But.
Speaker 2: For me it goes even further. It's and and also, I'm the RA, so I'm gonna need to do things any that you don't need to know about. But I'm gonna you know, I'm gonna be doing these things. And you might even see me doing some of these things. Yes, but that's that's if I do it, doesn't mean you can do it.
Speaker 3: That's great because now our RA I love this example because now our r R A is going to one door room and saying, look, we all know this guy came into your room and took a massive and he did smear it on the walls. But there are factors at play that are bigger than this.
Speaker 2: All right, Yeah, he doesn't have to clean it up. That's just one of the rules.
Speaker 3: Someone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, and we will also let me the RA know that he did it, so you know, and I'm aware that he did it.
Speaker 3: We all know. We've all seen his SpongeBob pants. It's clearly this guy. So investigations continue. Yeah, this is this is at heart a mission critical thing. This practice of the concept of don't shoot the messenger, diplomatic immunity. It has saved civilization from war and it has definitely saved a lot of diplomats, add a lot of diplomats.
Speaker 2: But it's made a lot of deals too.
Speaker 3: It's made so many deals. That's part of it. There is very much an art of a deal. Unrelated to the book, this is also a concept that all of us found widely misunderstood in the modern day. I remember when this came up and we decided to make an episode about it. Maybe it was on air, maybe we were hanging out. But the question is, is diplomatic immunity really a get out of jail free card? But can if you're powerful enough in say Foreign Ministry or US State Department, can you actually get away with murder to understand that we got to bust some myths it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm already so uncomfortable.
Speaker 3: Yes, because we can get prosecuted. Yeah, like the three of us, and.
Speaker 2: If I if I go into the Nordstrum somewhere and take three thousand dollars worth of business jackets and stuff them into a bag. This is this is an actual, real example, and I walk out and the store says, hey, you can't do that, and they call the police. I go to jail for a felony. But some other people might not.
Speaker 4: The thing's question, do they get to keep the stuff?
Speaker 3: All right, you said you were going to be cool man.
Speaker 4: I'm just asking, I'm just it seems like there has to be a limit to this diplomatic community business.
Speaker 3: All right, Yes, and that's perfect. That's our first misconception, and it's partially the fault of Hollywood and fiction and film. Not every embassy employee the world round has some sort of magical blanket immunity under the Vienna Convention of nineteen sixty one, which again the vast majority of countries have ratified. The laws of this magic getaway card only applies to the top diplo dogs. So if you're saying one of the it guys, massive apologies, you still have to pay your parking tickets at some point, unless you're not really an it guy whatever. So if you're a non embassy employee. Right like, if we all just get a wild hair and we say, hey, when's the last time we went to Bhutan together? If we're just visiting a country, we don't get immunity. And that's why, that's why it is very important wherever you live, if you are traveling to a different country, always check to see whether your country, your origin country has an embassy or a consulate in the place that you are visiting. Let them know your travel plans if it is possible for you to do so. Yes, Yeah, the US State Department is you know, we know folks in there. They're doing their best kind of in an uphill situation right now, but they will they will be readily transparent with any concerns they might have.
Speaker 2: Dude, let's really quickly. I think we've talked about this too, but let's establish this as well. You will hear the words embassy and consolate thrown around sometimes as the same thing. It's synonymous, but they are not the same thing. An embassy is the primary version of one state's operations within another state like a host country. And then and that's usually in like the capital city. But then the consulate is there can be multiple consulates, and those are in strategic areas for maybe economic stuff, trade stuff, or other types of missions that might be happening within a host country. But they're very interesting. You can look up both. You can get in too the minutia of it. It's like officially what they do, but diplomatic relations between the two governments generally occur at the embassy. Consulate. Stuff often goes into like the cultural.
Speaker 3: Things, which is really interesting, Yes.
Speaker 2: Because that's where I don't know, I feel like that's where that's where some of the Shenanikins can occur there because it is there there they are the people. The consulate is the place where the one on one stuff happens between people who are visiting a host country from the consulates country. That's where they interact often.
Speaker 3: Yeah, picture it like DMV or DDS. Our official line is that for UH, for someone visiting foreign country, your consulate, UH, your regional consulate is going to be the place where there's a little window and you wait in line for a former stamp. That is our official line to your point, Matt. There are many cultural programs out of consulates, and there's great time and care paid to those programs.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I got Uh. Just, guys, I got invited to a very interesting cultural thing for China recently here through my son's school. That was very interesting. The way it was worded, Did you go? No, I haven't gone yet, but I might.
Speaker 4: What do you mean, oh, yes, can we crash?
Speaker 2: It's it's maybe yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Can you give us of the No, it's just it's so language.
Speaker 3: Did they give you the jimmies or something? What's going on?
Speaker 2: I didn't get the jimmies, I got the shakes. No, No, I just it was one of those things where the way it was worded specifically was so much in promotion of China. It reminded me a bit of some of the Shenyun stuff. But maybe from the state's side, does that make sense?
Speaker 3: It does make sense such that I think I may We're not going to say it on air, but I think I may know what you're talking about.
Speaker 4: I think I might have gotten an invite too.
Speaker 3: Also, there's a there's an International rud convention that occurs every so often in Houston and Atlanta. If you guys want to go.
Speaker 4: That sounds great, tasteful throws.
Speaker 3: Speaking of speaking of tasteful throws. Here's the here's the straight poop on this, and we're back. If you are one of those top diplo dogs, you are an ambassador. Usually in the US, at least typically, there's a mix between lifelong career public servants, very high fluting experts on a region, and straight up political hires. There are ambassadors who might not even speak the language of the country in which they reside. But if you are in that rarefied air, you cannot be handcuffed, arrested, detained, you can't even be prosecuted by law enforcement in the country that you're working in. Caveat asterisk, caveat asterisk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dude, can I give a quick example of this? Okay, So the State Department of the United States or the United States State Department US sorry, or the US Department of State. They have a YouTube channel, you guys, and on that YouTube channel they posted this thing, and they give an example of that I kind of already talked about. It is the woman who was caught shoplifting three thousand dollars worth of goods from a mall. The police showed up and they said, oh, yeah, you have too much. This is like too much money and goods. This is a felony. I have to detain you like I have to arrescue. And she said, well, she said no, this is a real example the state department gave. She said, oh, no, my husband is a diplomat. I have diplomatic immunity. And everybody who has diplomatic immunity or supposedly has a state department issued ID like a driver's license, but from the state department. And she shows that to the police officer. The police officer is required to make a phone call that just goes to the state department and they say, hey, I am confirming these numbers on the back of this idea this person's identity, and the state department will say yes or no to whether or not this person has immunity. If they have immunity. In this case, the felony part, the arrest cannot happen. The arrest cannot happen, so she has to be let go and just go on her way.
Speaker 3: Like, really, that's true, that is all true. Everything you just heard is factual, folks. There are other misconceptions. That's a high level thing. It doesn't always happen. For instance, if you are the spouse of an administrative employee. You may not have the same considerations and superpowers. People also maybe confuse diplomatic immunity with the idea of that as soon as you put your foot over the threshold of an embassy, you are automatically on sovereign territory. That is not quite true. You do not automatically get the rights guaranteed in US law just because you made it past the front gate. There are exemptions and exceptions to this, to all of these concepts. Most notably and horrifically, I think we've all seen the stories of North Korean refugees escaping the Hermit Kingdom and getting by hook or by crook to mainland China and then risking their lives to get past those front gates for the r ok that be South Korea to most Americans, or to the US embassy or another friendly, friendly country, And you can see terrible videos of Chinese authorities literally snatching these people by the back of the neck as there as they're almost.
Speaker 4: To freedom by the scruss.
Speaker 3: Just so, and if China catches these folks first, they're considered not refugees but rather illegal economic immigrants. They're deported back to a life of horror in the DPRK. So there are exceptions, sort of like how for a long time during the Cold War, United States standing policy is, hey, we don't like illegal immigration, but if you are from Cuba and you touch foot on the soil, we got you. Not if you're Haitian, not if you're from the Dominican Republic, but specifically, if you're from Cuba and you make that ninety mile trek, then we got you. So there are many exceptions to these ideas of immunity.
Speaker 2: Oh for sure. And the State Department wants you to know that just because someone has immunity doesn't mean they have immunity of consequences for their actions.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: They're very they're very strict about this, and they say, just because some nobody can't get arrested for a felony they committed, doesn't mean that the State Department isn't going to get a full detailed report of that incident, and then maybe the embassy itself or the consulate or the State Department will take action.
Speaker 4: That could mean losing your job at the very least, right or getting stripped of your diplomatic you know, schrcial powers.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, yeah, yeah, you nailed it. There are consequences because being exempt from like having diplomatic immunity in a destination country or a country of residents, does not provide diplomatic immunity in a country of origin.
Speaker 4: And let's just remember too that this all even comes into play and stuff kicks in when you get caught, well everybody knows, you know, and then it becomes a potential diplomatic crisis or a pr night. There has to be dealt with in some way, you know, to keep the relationship between the countries, you know, in good standing.
Speaker 3: Yes, many variables, And I want to spend a second before we move on to that idea of getting caught. Yes, getting officially caught is not the same thing as the polite conversation we had at the top of this show in Vienna.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, it's not the same thing. It's also getting caught by a police officer that just lets you go isn't the same thing as being caught in the public eye, right if And and let's let's get to this next point about diplomats and consular employees driving vehicles in LAS parking violations, moving violations, driving traffic, motor violations.
Speaker 3: Right right, Dy's as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, like this is a big This is a real big deal. And we talked about it when we were we went we went pretty deep into the diplomatic relationship between the United States and Saudi Arabia a while back, and we talked about this a bit.
Speaker 3: But our previous episode, why does the US let Saudi fugitives flee the country? We're gonna spend some time on that later too. Okay, we recorded that in twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, so not that long ago. Oh my god, you can't believe for so far from twenty twenty already. But this is this is a huge deal because, just like that other example, the Statement Department goes into some of these violations, including getting like anyone else in the world would get a DUI if they were definitely intoxicated and crash their very nice consular vehicle into a railing and destroy their vehicle. But in that case, a police officer cannot arrest that person for any of those things. They just have to let them go and notify the State Department.
Speaker 3: See the car, make the call. Yeah, this is a third lighter misconception parking violations. It's a whole ridiculous bag at badgers. We do want to recommend an excellent piece from NPR way back in twenty eleven. Shout out to the journalist Mark Memmett who points out that Washington, d C, and New York City in particular are still quarreling with various foreign diplomats and embassies regarding parking tickets. Now, if you've ever been to New York City or d C, first off, they're great towns. They're two of the best towns in the entirety of the United States, and parking sucks there. Parking is a hostile environment in DC. And these folks have people, they have, you know, stuff to do. Matters as state. It's ongoing. But the scary thing is, unlike an average person, a non diplomat committing a crime, every crime you commit in this role is negotiable. That's where the danger lies.
Speaker 2: Oh dude. In the example the State Department gave of that dui dude. Who the dui dude? It was in Maryland, by the way, right outside d C. I think in Arundel County makes sense. It's where it all happened. The embassy, his home country's embassy that's within the United States ended up terminating his assignment and sent him home, and the US State Department suspended his license that he got through them, and they made him pay for this for his three other violations, which I'm pretty sure we're parking violations as you're talking about, Ben, But so so there are consequences for these things, right, But it's not at all, as you're saying, the same way that anybody else would get would have to deal with consequences.
Speaker 3: Right Right, it's a it's a different it's still a pop, but it's a different kind and we're not going to reuse that sound. C The other the other thing we have to set up here is that this type of immunity is not permanent, nor is it consistent. One of the first things they really hammer home in DOS or in any foreign ministry kind of employment regimen is the following. Your origin country can always get a call and they can agree to waive immunity just because you know you are the high muckety muck for whatever Ottoman Empire is in vogue. It doesn't mean the Ottoman Empire is required to support you. They can get the call and they can say, oh yeah, ah man, beat me here Dylan. They can say, oh yeah, no, yeah, fuck that guy. Put him under the jail. You can meet with consequences. And it's all because despite the modern legalese and all the accords and whatnot, this is still the ancient gentleman's agreement. People are still just sort of handshaking on this thing. And that should scare you.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, for sure, absolutely, just to get in that idea that you put forward, been the idea that diplomatic community has varying degrees, right, Because there's one last example I want to put out here from that video. I'm sorry the guys I got all hypes on this animated State Department video. This one other thing.
Speaker 3: They're really good, by the way, everybody should check them out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you guys know the highway four hundred that goes from Atlanta up north. Now, there's an example from Roswell, Georgia, which is a town along that highway as you're going back into the city, where a dude got pulled over on August fourth. They didn't give it like a year. I don't know why, but he was going ninety two miles per hour on four hundred, which is a big no. No police officer lights and sirens pulled the guy over. He showed yep, he showed his State Department ID. It got checked there via the phone number you call on the back, and it was noted that this guy does have diplomatic community. But the state department says this quote the driver, as a consular officer, has immunity only for his consular functions, so he had to appear before a criminal court for charges regarding non official acts. So in this case, he got cited for like unsafe driving and like because he was going so fast over the speed limit, which I believe is like fifty five maybe sixty five right in that area. But he did have to end up going to court for that for those charges. But this is what the State Department finishes that with. This is the case for most consular officers, but there are some exceptions, So always call the state department, and that is speaking directly to law enforcement officers.
Speaker 3: Just check in and we'll get to that point about official versus personal duties as well. Well. We got to hit you with here, folks, is that there are obviously a lot of loopholes, caveats, soft variables, asterisk so on. As a result, it is sadly not surprising that the concept of diplomatic immunity has been corrupted, conspired with, leveraged, and abused. And that's what we're looking at tonight. We're going to take a break for a word from our sponsors, and then we'll ask what happens when this immunity goes wrong? Years where it gets crazy? All right? First type of corruption with this the funniest one. We have it in the notes as uh, screw you guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that's about right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So what happens though? What is screw you guys as the first type of corruption? Yeah?
Speaker 4: I think it's relatively self explanatory. In some cases, when a foreign government and gets into a situation involving diplomatic community, they may just decide to ignore the rules of that country that their person is deployed in. So this is once again kind of a callback to some of those ancient examples of don't kill the messenger diplomatic community, you know, one point zero. So, just as there were warlords of the time who might slice the head off of someone bringing some particularly unwelcome news and send that head back to the rival rulers as a sign of their displeasure. Dare we say an act of war. More modern governments, you know, have exercised a slightly less dramatic, but equally fu form of violating terms of the Vienna Convention numerous times. This has happened over the course of more modern history. It often happens during periods of international or regional dispute, particularly when there is something of an uprising or a revolution.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pre war and during war, that's when the paranoia gets its worst.
Speaker 4: I mean, technically, isn't all time not during war?
Speaker 3: Pre war you know that's good? Or post war? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, post war is another form of pre war. As we know, it's common.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you don't kill them in post war. That's when you.
Speaker 4: Watch it, when you try to be nice and make agreements.
Speaker 3: Nuremberg has entered the chat. The idea is, I would argue human civilization is in a toxic relationship with itself. Yes, just a few periods in between violence. What I love about the example you're setting out there, Nolu. The anecdote of warlords of old deciding or choosing how they send their reply or their message. It reminds me of the old joke I don't know a familiar with this is with a lot of people. But uh, the old joke goes the guy, one of the court members opens the box that has returned from the connet and they find human head with the word no written on it, and they really need the know's. Yeah no, it's it's insult injury, they said, your highness, I believe the con has replied, Yeah, yeah, with revolutions. We got two examples that will be helpful here and hopefully uh memorable to all of us playing along tonight. Them then receiving a head in a box, Well, we're not going to send heads. I don't think we have it in the budget.
Speaker 4: They are quite pricey, especially they're really photo realistic looking fake ones.
Speaker 2: Pinkies exclusively, yeah or pinky toes mm toes, very very much, in my opinion, an overrated part of Human Anatomy.
Speaker 3: Check out the dailies.
Speaker 2: Oh all right, all right, so.
Speaker 3: It's the French Revolution. There's this guy named Napoleon. He's most famous for being in Bill and Ted's excellent Adventure the first one.
Speaker 4: Uh pivotal, Yes, pivotal character.
Speaker 3: Really the star of the show, this guy Napoleon, who was not that short. He went crazy arresting all foreign diplomats he could touch during his rise to power and his ascendancy toward the French Empire. And he he did this despite the sort of gentleman's agreement about diplomatic immunity. He arrested all these folks because he said they're actively conspiring against the new France.
Speaker 4: This sounds really familiar, This sounds well.
Speaker 2: Enemies from all the countries.
Speaker 3: Well, history would proved Napoleon Batch crazy for a number of reasons, but it would also prove him correct in this regard. The monarchical powers of Europe were super pissed at him, and they were doing anything they could to kill him.
Speaker 4: Well, when you treat everyone like an enemy for long enough, they eventually become enemies. It's a self fulfilling prophecy.
Speaker 2: So weird that works.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: Then, in nineteen seventy nine, we had another revolution, this time in Iran, and it was a whole other bag of badgers.
Speaker 4: That's right. Fifty three US citizens that included diplomats, were held hostage inside the US embassy in Tehran. The Iranian revolution really could be a series unto itself. But we'll just talk about how this impacted the idea of diplomatic community. The positive note is, of course that the hostages were released. However, it's a bit of a play, you know, when you look at the timing, it doesn't it just feels, you know, But that's sort of the nature of a lot of these diplomatic deals. They're all kind of strategic plays.
Speaker 2: And now you can go back to twenty eighteen and listen to our episode that we did on Iran back in the day. Can't remember what it was called, but it was about the imperial time in Iran and then how everything changed, and I think we even touched on this exact revolution.
Speaker 3: You can also watch this popular Western media. You can watch film adaptations like Argo I think it's called, which goes into a hostage crisis.
Speaker 4: Where they made like a fake movie and that was true, that actually happened.
Speaker 3: Yeah, those hostages are released on January twentieth, nineteen eighty one. This shows us that there are bigger issues not just with the concept of diplomatic immunity, but with the concept of international accords in general. The rules only work when every one agrees to follow them, just like painted lines on the interstate are the only things stopping other cars. From swarping at.
Speaker 2: You, and that nice thing that some new cars have that makes you stay in the same lane, but sometimes doesn't understand what lanes are.
Speaker 4: So it beeps at you when it turns off that lea's mind does I've.
Speaker 3: Been using it.
Speaker 4: It actually works relatively well most of the time.
Speaker 2: Or it makes you try and turn into traffic across the line because it doesn't understand it's a line.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like how early GPS services would say the best possible move is for you to take this impossible left.
Speaker 2: Yeah, through the woods.
Speaker 3: Through the woods, over the river. Yes, yeah, Look, if a given state doesn't want to play along, there are sovereign power the international community can impose consequences carrot and stick stuff right sanctions. We're gonna pull out of this deal, But if we exercise empathy, you realize these macro maneuvers, they're not really helpful to the individuals who have been detained, imprisoned, tortured, or murdered in the meantime. And you know, we're not going to get too into this for our own time here, but we also suggest to you folks that there are state powers currently using quote unquote terrorist groups as proxies when they violate diplomatic immunities, so they can say, oh my gosh, it wasn't us. You guys, we're just as confused and pissed off and worried as you. You know. Oh, by the way, you have a few of our very innocent people in your prison. If you consider a trade of some sort, we can talk with these terrorists, even though we don't know them, again and we definitely don't control them, Maybe we can work something out. Wow, spooky, stuffy. Yeah, sometimes immunity doesn't It just doesn't work. That's not the worst part. Let's go to the second type of corruption, uh, crimes. Who doesn't love to do a good crime? Don't email us?
Speaker 4: Just really feel good? This really makes you feel alive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just have a feeling, you know.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 3: Diplomatic immunity can be weaponized as a cover for criminal activity. As was pointed out earlier, the law and all international accords technically do not cover. You don't get immunity if you are doing private acts that are unrelated to official duties. To spend this out. That means that if you are if you are a top level diplomat, you get caught doing something unclean and creepy or just dumb and impulsive like shoplifting. You would have to prove that's part of your official duties. That doesn't mean you automatically get in trouble. But if you or your legal team can make a case that says, you know, this guy is stealing snacks and one tourist hat as a diplomat, as a representative of the UK or the US, then you scooch it.
Speaker 4: Is that the same as leaning him.
Speaker 5: I'm not sure, okay, fair, Oh oh, oh, guys, I can't believe I haven't already brought it up. Whenever we talk about diplomats, I'm always fascinated by this, this idea of this attached a case or this diplomatic pouch that everyone's always screaming about. That's where all the secrets are hidden, right, that's.
Speaker 3: The hot one. Yeah, diplomatic pouch or diplomatic.
Speaker 4: Bag, diplomatic capoose if you will, here we.
Speaker 3: Go, diplomatic valise, diplomatic shipping container.
Speaker 2: Career in all shapes and sizes, diplomatic Fannie pack.
Speaker 3: It's kind of like how any airplane the US President is on is air Force one. It becomes that. So anything you put the right official stamp, lock and seal on. That container gets some of the same rights that individual diplomats have as people. You've got a bit of immunity. Your container cannot be searched. It can't be seized so long as it contains articles for official diplomatic use.
Speaker 2: Huh huh. How do you confirm if said items enclosed are for official use?
Speaker 4: Well, you can't because you can't look inside. Don't ask stupid questions. Back what no cheating? Sort of a Schrodinger's situation.
Speaker 2: Yea, I say so, Therefore it is right right, right.
Speaker 3: This is methemphetamine for government purposes, so you can stay late to do all the work.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: These North Korean counterfeit supernotes are for the Swiss Bank, not for you, guys. Don't cham us up. You said you were being cool. Yeah. North Korean officials have used diploma pouches to smuggle drugs counterfeit currency. One example of how easy it is for this stuff to go wrong. Do you guys remember back in twenty twelve, someone not officially identified used counterfeit diplomatic pouches to send thirty five pounds of cocaine straight to the UN.
Speaker 4: That's a lot of pouches. Broh, it was.
Speaker 3: Two bags, I think, yeah, two bags they officially caught.
Speaker 2: I guess that one.
Speaker 4: That's a question that I have though, like the nature of the pouch in terms of it being an accessory. Oh, it can be anything, or is it like a particular style or brand.
Speaker 2: You can ship huge things in these huge pouches they've created, as long as it's got that State Department official language and stuff.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, contains like it just needs the lock and seal and the super fish stamp.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or if you just I'm looking around, I'm imagining stuff that I could fit into some of the pouches I've seen. You could fit a guitar in some of them. And they have this like brown kind of color that is just off putting in a weird way.
Speaker 4: Who can also forced me to do it?
Speaker 3: I'm googling, Like here, I have a lunch box from our friends at McSweeney's with the right stamping, with the right heraldry signage and lock and seal. This would qualify as a diplomatic pouch. WHOA, that's yeah, cool lunchbox too, you know what.
Speaker 4: Some of these are more like diplomatic duffel bags. And they're like diplomatic bag, the property the People's Republic of China. A twelve five eighty seven is the one that I'm looking at. And then there's one or like literally a wooden shipping container with that stamp on it and like draped with a velveted cloth that says diplomatic pouch.
Speaker 3: That's correct. Yeah, classic, sweet. Yeah, they've got this style over function.
Speaker 4: Sure. Actually they're big into function overfunction. They're they're an equal measure of style.
Speaker 3: What's that aesthetic called hemma? The Swedish concept is this aesthetic of living comfortably? We agree with it anyway. This the thing with this smuggling of massive amounts of cocaine is that they were not using real diplo bags. They knew most people do not understand what those look like. So they made a close counterfeit and it made it all the way from Mexico City to New York City, primarily because most people couldn't tell the difference, and they got shook. They saw something that looked like a bag they have maybe seen earlier, or looked like signage they have maybe seen earlier, and they said, oh, okay, we gotta you know, move this forward. It didn't get popped until it made it all the way to the actual United Nations.
Speaker 2: Dude, Okay, let's talk about that. So if you put a phone number on that bag, that is like a lot of the other state department signage for diplomatic purposes, like the ones that's on the license the licenses that people carry, like the one that you can find on a license plate on some state department issues cars. Sure, you just call that number, and whoever's on the other end, you ask questions or try and confirm is this bag legit? And you probably, if you're like me who called like one of these numbers earlier today, you just believe whatever the person on the other end of the line says.
Speaker 3: So it could be a fake number.
Speaker 2: Yes, you just put a fake number, and now you just, oh, this is that's kind of terrifying.
Speaker 3: Well, unfortunately, I don't know if it works anymore. But this was a great exploit and you absolutely nailed it. There's also a log record of people pretending to be diplomats, which is also cartoonishly easy, you know, if you've got your vinegar about you.
Speaker 4: We do have to say, though, this.
Speaker 3: Is the part we really want to get to yes, some individual diplomats and people we could call VIPs do get away with stuff, a lot of stuff with very few things in the way of actual consequences. And speaking of crime, yes, individual diplomats and people we could call VIPs do get away with stuff up to child abuse, domestic violence, manslaughter, willful murder. It gets really dirty, really quick. And that is going to be part two of our series on diplomatic immunity.
Speaker 4: It feels right, there's just so much there and it's really truly kind of plumbing the darker depths of this topic. So please tune in for part two.
Speaker 3: In the meantime. Thank you so much for tuning in, fellow conspiracy realist, diplomat, non diplomats, criminals and non criminals alike. We can't thank you enough for your time. We want to hear your thoughts, your experiences. Tell us if you've ever seen a shady diplomatic pouch. We try to be easy to find online. You can get us on the internet, you can call us on a telephonic device. You can even send us a good old fashioned email.
Speaker 4: I'd like to put forth that the producer and DJ Diplo is missing out on a crucial merch opportunity. You should have diplomatic pouches.
Speaker 2: Are the pouches that play his songs when you open them?
Speaker 3: Maybe that's how you know it's real.
Speaker 4: Yes, exactly, And what are some ideas that you might have for merchandising opportunities for DIPLO. You can write to us all over the internet where conspiracy stuff on x FKA, Twitter, on YouTube we have video content galore for your enjoyment. And on Facebook with our Facebook group here's where it's crazy. On Instagram and TikTok. However, we're conspiracy stuff show.
Speaker 2: We have a phone number. You can call it right now. It's one eight six six two one seven two o eight nine. Oh wait no, sorry, that's the Diplomatic Security Command Center.
Speaker 4: Call that one to leave them. You don't even have to limit it three minutes.
Speaker 3: I call them all the time. Ask for Steve.
Speaker 2: Just actually, let's not harass the State Department has.
Speaker 3: Just check in with Steve's your reasonable questions.
Speaker 4: We're also lonely.
Speaker 2: They are available twenty four to seven.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: If you want to call us, our number is one eight three three st d w y t K. It's a voicemail system. When you call in Please leave a cool nickname for yourself and let us know within the message if we can use your name and message on the air. If you've got more to say than can fit in a three minute message, why not instead send us a good old fashioned email.
Speaker 3: We are the entities to read each piece, of course, by fundance we receive. It does not have to be a long email. It can be any length format that you wish. We want to see those ancillery links. We want to hear your favorite stories. We also always love to hear recommendations for new episodes you feel your fellow listeners may enjoy. Be well aware, yet unafraid. Sometimes the void writes back, so you can see us online. You're not gonna catch us in vienna. Conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff they don't want you to know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.