Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: In the Jungles of northern me and Maar, close to the border with China, a town called Pungwah sits in a small valley. It's surrounded by forested peaks that are sometimes dusted with snow. But against this scenic backdrop, a sprawling industrial operation is transforming the hilltops.
Speaker 1: So you have these hills, these very dramatic hill slopes, with these pools kind of midway up the hill. So there's like kind of a lattice work of pipes that's laid over boreholes. So yeah, it is sort of industrial and dystopian, but also set in a very remarkable, very beautiful part of the world.
Speaker 2: Timothy McLaughlin is a journalist and a freelance contributor for Bloomberg based in Singapore. He says Pungwa and the surrounding region of Kachin State have come into the spotlight lately because a ground there is rich with precious metals rare earths that are in high demand right now.
Speaker 1: Meanmar is hugely significant in the rare earth's industry. It is the third largest producer of rare earths globally, behind the US of China.
Speaker 2: These rare earth elements are worth billions of dollars. They're key components in your iPhone, your electric vehicles, and even missiles used by the US military. And Me and Mar isn't just any producer of rare earth. It's a crucial supplier to China, accounting for more than half of the country's total imports last year. But the region around Pungwa has been disrupted by a long running conflict between me and Maar's military junta and a rebel group, the Kachin Independence Army or KIA.
Speaker 1: The current Hunter took power in twenty twenty one, and it has been a very tumultuous, bloody period for the country for the past couple of years. It's important to understand that Memr already had a large number of armed groups who were fighting the central military primarily for greater autonomy for their ethnic groups, and so the past four years has seen a massive surge in fighting. You know, the military has been able to hang on to most of the middle of the country, but their control over the periphery of the country and the borderlands has suffered quite a bit.
Speaker 2: Hungwah is part of that embattled region. The Kia took control of the area late last year and that's created a headache for China.
Speaker 1: So they take over to these mines by the Kia a huge complicating factor for Beijing and came at a really inopportune time because where it's became this big global trade issue kind of rate as the KA took over these mines, and so Beijing and Chinese companies are now buying rare earths from them, so funding them. But then they are also supporting the memr military of the junta, so they are on both sides of this fight.
Speaker 2: This is the Big Take Asia from Bloomberg News. I'm wanh. Every week we take you inside some of the world's biggest and most powerful economies and the markets, tycoons and businesses that drive this ever shifting region. Today on the show, how a rebel army in me and Mar became a major player in the rare earth's industry and what its new dominance means for China next door and for global supply chains. Despite the name, rare earths are really not that rare. They can be found all over the world, but they're almost never found on their own in nature. The minerals are mixed in with other elements in the ground and often at low concentrations, and that makes mining them a complex process. In me and Mar, rare earths are usually extracted from the soil.
Speaker 1: On hillsides, so you have these very dramatic hill slopes with these collection pools that are sort of at the bottom midway up the hill. The collection pools they're lined with tarps, so the water tends to have this kind of turquoise color to it.
Speaker 2: And to get these rare earth elements into these vast collection pools, a process called n C two leaching comes in.
Speaker 1: It's sort of like an IV drip for a hillside. You're dripping this leaching agent into the hillside. So there's like kind of a lattice work of pipes that's laid over boreholes and then there's little taps and so this is just going down into the ground and then later towards the bottom of the hill washed out and what comes out at the bottom is this mixture of rare earth water leaching agent that's collected in large pools sort of like concrete industrial swimming pools, and the rare earth sludge settles at the bottom. The water is drained off, and that sludge is then baked in these big furnaces that look like massive pizza ovens, and the resulting product is are rare a docksides.
Speaker 2: When demand for these metals began to take off in the mid two thousands, China was by far the biggest miner of rare earths. It accounted for nearly all of the world's mind rare earth supply and was also the biggest refiner. But around twenty ten, China began shutting down many of its small scale mines.
Speaker 1: China started to see the environmental impact it was having. Pumping millions of liters of this fluid into the ground had enormous ecological impact, especially of watersheds and river weys.
Speaker 2: The wastewater that's full of chemicals and toxins is typically directed right back into the nearest river. It can contaminate the soil and the waterways downstream and cause landslides. A lot of the mines that China shut down were located in the country's southwest along the frontier with Miunmar, and as the industry shut down in China, the mine operation looked just across the border. To get back to business.
Speaker 1: You can see that on the ground level when you know Chinese miners arriving, but eventually you can start to see it from space because the mines start to get dug, the pools start to fill up. You can also see the road network getting built, and the road network kind of goes not that far. It goes from China into these mines and then the trucks kind of go back out.
Speaker 2: A geospatial analysis found that in just about seven years, hundreds of new mining sites have sprung up in the area where Pungwa is located. China became the biggest buyer of me and Mars rare earth. It imported more than eight hundred million dollars by twenty twenty one. That's eight hundred times what it bought just a decade ago.
Speaker 1: They have large deposits of two specific elements which are turbum and dysprosia, and they are important to making rare earth magnets, and these magnets are now found in a lot of electric vehicles, five trains, wind turbines, guided missile systems, and these two elements are added to magnets to enhance their capabilities to make them able to work at higher temperatures. Without losing the magnetism that they have. And so right now these magnets are a huge point of contention between the US and China. While these magnets are coming from China because that's where they are made, the elements that are going into them are coming from Vnmar in many cases.
Speaker 2: And what kind of impact then, are we seeing of this mining boom on the environment and on local communities.
Speaker 1: You're seeing people and other groups realize that there is a huge amount of money, huge amount of demand. We're going to see these minds expand probably outside of Kitchen State to places that are controlled by other groups who think that they have similar geology and they can also kind of cash in on this rare gold rush at the moment, but I think the environmental impact is probably the most pronounced right now. All you're seeing the rivers and streams that are very important to the way of life for small villages and cities and towns at this part of the world getting totally ruined. And it is also becoming a cross border issue because these watersheds run through Southeast Asia and so some of this stuff is now flowing into Thailand, and so you see the Thai government tie civil society becoming concerned about this. There's also concerns about the structure of the mines, the safety you could imagine, pumping millions of gallons of liquid into the side of a hill makes it inherently unstable. Often people are getting trapped in tunnels or killed by landslides. So yes, overall, environmentally and labor regulations wise, very much sort of the Wild West at the moment.
Speaker 2: And while mining companies have been tearing up the ground in search of rare earth minerals, the region around the mines is being torn by a bloody conflict between the government and rebel groups. After the break, the crucial supply of rare earths in the hands of a rebel army the risks for China and the world. For years, the town of Pongwa in northern me and Maar was under the control of a warlord allied with the country's military junta. The rare earth's minds in the region were operated by Chinese companies, and the shipments of the precious metals ran like clockwork. Reporter Tim McLaughlin says that Chinese government generally sees me and Mar's military regime as a stabilizing force along its border.
Speaker 1: Beijing's greatest fears that the country would splinter apart and there would be some sort of Syria type situation right on a huge border that they have, And so they sat on the fence for a while, and then when they saw the MEMR military started to struggle last year and maybe losing some key strategic outposts, they really kind of came off the fence and threw their port behind the ME and R military. Not because I think there's any deep love there. I think it's because they really fear the country just crumbling, and they think much like the BOMR military does, that they are kind of the glue holding this all together.
Speaker 2: But that changed late last year when the KA, the armed ethnic group battling the military junta, advanced on Pungwa.
Speaker 1: The Kitschin Independence Army is fighting a larger, decades long struggle against the VNMR military for greater autonomy for the Kitchen ethnic people. Late last year, the KIA started fighting their way towards this point, looking to capture not just Pangwa, but capture all of Kitchen Special Region one and kind of take it as their own.
Speaker 2: The KIA took control of Pungwa along with hundreds of valuable rare earth minds overnight. That made the rebel army one of the largest players in the rare earth industry. But Tim says this change of control in Pangwa has put China in a difficult position. It's bordered with me and Mar is long, so it needs to secure the cooperation of the military junta, but it also needs the rare earths that are now controlled by the rebels.
Speaker 1: The KA is complicated because they are fighting the Vnmar junta and so Beijing and Chinese companies are now buying rare earths from them, so funding them. But then they are also supporting the Menmar military of the junta, so they are on both sides of this fight, and they have voiced their displeasure to the Kia. They've also closed the border on occasion to try to sort of force their hand. So we did see the mining shut down and saw the border close for a long time. It is since reopened because we could see the exports going out of VMMR into China now, so you know, an agreement of some sort between these companies between the Kia between China has been reached for now, but like many things in Nmar, at the moment, how long it will last, how steady it is, is in open question.
Speaker 2: By purchasing the rare earth's mind in Me and Mar, China is effectively funding the Kia, perhaps a military huntes greatest and most long standing enemy. This puts China in a pickle, and that's why it's now looking for other suppliers of these in demand elements.
Speaker 1: You'll see much more coming from Laos. You'll see mining startup in parts of Bandmar where Beijing has better relations with the armed groups that have closer relations to Beijing, and so the big official Chinese companies could go in and operate. You're not relying on this kind of ragtag middleman to kind of do this stuff.
Speaker 2: As China tries to find other places beyond Me and Mar for rare earths, the US is also scrambling to find its own alternative to China. In July, a rare earth mine opened in Wyoming, the first in the US in more than seventy years. At the same time, the US is also tentatively eyeing Me and Mar.
Speaker 1: For rare earths. There's been some interest from State Department and other groups about kind of sussing out and getting a feel for the current situation and what it's like on the ground. Right now, the US has very limited engagement with Meanmar, MEANMR is massively unstable at the moment. You know, you have the hunta fighting armed ethnic groups, you have them fighting smaller pro democracy groups that popped up Dow for the coup. The Hunt is starting plans for an election, which I think could be very destabilizing. And then of course you see the military running a really horrific campaign against its own citizens.
Speaker 2: And Tim says there are more than just political and humanitarian considerations for the US to factor.
Speaker 1: There's just really, really really huge logistical issues. I mean, it would take moving tons of rare earth material from a sort of undeveloped, far remote corner of the kind, and then you'd have to move it across the country that's covered with hundreds of warring ethnic groups and armed groups to a point of exit. Then the question is, well, where do you bring it to refine it? And the answer to that question is you bring it to China, because China is the only place that has the capability to refine this stuff. So now we're back where we started, right and that is assuming that Beijing would allow this. Why would China allow any US firms or companies or linked people come into their own backyard and take what they have obviously deemed a national security asset from them. So there's a myriad of issues. There's obviously been the sort of moral issues of the country and dealing with various militaries, but just the logistics and geopolitics of it alone make it sound almost inconceivable.
Speaker 2: And now you've got this rebel army added to the geopolitical mix. It's such a wild card.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I don't think there's another situation that ever reached the geopolitical tension that we're seeing now between the US and China with rarersts in the middle. And so you have these big superpowers and these big tech companies and huge investments, and then when you drill down one of the key players here is this group that really was born out of a anti colonial struggle against the BMR government. And then I think the other thing kind of wildcard here is technology in the advancements. Maybe rare earth magnets will be innovative out of existence. Do you already see some companies touting that they're running their ev motors with batteries that don't have rare earths in them. Maybe we're not talking about of them in the same way, whether it's in ten years or fifteen or twenty years. So there's also this other kind of unknown as the kind of where this whole industry goes.
Speaker 2: This is The Big Take Asia from Bloomberg News. I'm wanha. To get more from The Big Take and unlimited access to all of Bloomberg dot Com, subscribe today at Bloomberg dot com slash podcast Offer. If you like the episode, make sure to subscribe and review The Big Take Asia wherever you listen to podcasts. It really helps people find the show. Thanks for listening, See you next time.