Speaker 1: From Indianapolis, Indiana. Our coverage of the NFL Scouting Combine continues. Lucas Oil Stadium, the site the on field testing beginning tomorrow, but across the street in the Indiana Convention Center. Hot and heavy on Radio Row in the Media Center and welcome in its jags am from Radio Row in Indianapolis, JP Shadwick, John Osier, and the King of the Combine has arrived to sit in his throne all week long. It's Bucky Brooks. Welcome to Indy man.
Speaker 2: I'm excited to be here, Like it's one of my favorite places, one of my favorite events to as end. Get a chance to see you old colleagues, get a chancey the new class of players coming in and catch.
Speaker 3: It with you. Guys.
Speaker 4: It's truly like the Pied Piper when you follow him around here. I mean it's you can follow him. He is, He's an icon. But I'm not sure Bucky, that your event is going to be your event for that much longer. I think the Combine feels to me like it's changing. We'll talk about that later in the show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like definitely not the same.
Speaker 2: Not as many people and not as many personnel coming out to the bench, which is kind of depressing.
Speaker 1: Everybody wants a piece of Everybody wants a piece of Bucky Brooks. I mean the latest monk came out. We'll get to that. It was yesterday, just in time for the combine. In your visit here, and everybody wants to talk to you about your selections for their team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hopefully I can.
Speaker 2: I can remember who I put there musical chairs. I mean, you're sitting there laying on a Sunday night trying to throw darts to try and figure out who's and what's what. It's a lot of fun. But right now the Monks will not have as much accuracy. We haven't even done free agency yet. No, I haven't got anything. I haven't cut players yet. Yeah, we're still trying to figure it out.
Speaker 4: Not have as much accus so they'll have like less close.
Speaker 2: As you can kind of narrow it down. But yeah, like you know, like right now we're really guessing. Yes, this clickbait a little bit, a little bit, a little just a little it's a little clickbait, clickbait.
Speaker 1: Imagine that Bucky Brooks with clickbait. Charles Davis, NFL Network, CBS Sports, Serrius XM Radio coming up in just a little bit. He's around Radio row as well. He'll join us here in the program in just a little while. Of course, the big reason why we are here every year is that the GM and head coach speak with the media, and they did that yesterday, Trent Balke and Doug Peterson really setting the tone for the start of the twenty four campaign and beyond. The league year officially begins March thirteenth, but this is really the start where the messaging begins for how they're going to move forward. John and Hey, collective front was the idea, right. There was a lot of noise in the system after the nine and eight and the collapse to get there and miss the playoffs. But both were out there yesterday and now they have a course moving ahead.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I thought both of them on our show, and then when they're on the podium the nice job setting the tone and clarifying which Trent had said a couple of weeks ago. Look, this was a nine and eighteen, it was not a one in sixteen team. They don't feel like they're far away. Trend on the podium probably said it best. Very disappointed by the end of last season, but focused on moving forward. But yeah, I don't think they're that far away. Do you agree with what they were saying? And are there are there moves that they can make? Are there things that they can do quote easily to get to where they want to go?
Speaker 2: I think so. Look, I don't think the team is far away. I mean, it's funny. It's just the way that the team finished that that led to disappoint.
Speaker 4: It was a nine and eighth three fourteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it just it just felt bad, just because the tail spin that the team went on down the stretch, but also coincided with Trevor Lawrence suffering a handful of injuries not being able to play at his best, but also not having Christian Kirk there having a handful of other injuries to impact the performance and that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's this.
Speaker 2: It's clearly an excuse because injuries are going to happen. But if you go back and look at the amount of closed games that they lost, how they lost those games, and the performers of their star players, the injuries did have a big impact on the way the team finished the season.
Speaker 1: A lot of talk yesterday Doug Peterson, of course, is at the podium I will hear from these guys coming up some bites from yesterday. But then after I had a little scrum off to the side with the local media as they often do here before the run to Radio Row, and that's when the offensive play calling question line started to come up. John, you were standing right there, and Doug Peterson said, Hey, everything's under evaluation still.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: He expressed great faith in Press Taylor, which I do believe he has. He didn't waiver from Press all year. I think Doug's thought on it is that him and Press are of such like mind if there's not much of a difference what I'm called plays in the first half one and second half in twenty two. But that being said, Brent Martin, I didn't nicely have asked the question. Doug might be one of the best play callers in the NFL. And Brent's question to him was, if you're that good at it, sort of doesn't it make sense for you to call it no matter how good Press is at it? And you know that made sense to me, And Doug didn't really address that question in particular, but he certainly left the door open to call plays.
Speaker 3: Bucky Well, I think as a head coach.
Speaker 2: Ultimately, you have veto power and you're responsible for the performance of the team, and as the noise escalates around the team, sometimes as a head coach, you got to jump in there. I do often wonder when your superpower is you're one of the best.
Speaker 3: Play callers in the league.
Speaker 2: To see control of that, to me, sometimes you wonder why. But I think the great example for Doug is looking at his old mentor, Andy Reid, and Andy Reid has been able to cycle through a few offensive coordinators, guys who have called plays, but when it assists the same Yeah, But then when it gets down to it, Andy recalls the plays in those critical moments. And so maybe it's a bit of that ying and yang where look fresh you call it, but in some of these gotta have it moments, or based on the field on the floor of the game, maybe he has to step in and do maybe a little more of the play call and than he did last year.
Speaker 4: And Doug did say, and I believe it's from talking to head coaches over the years. He liked that thirty thousand feet view all right, that you're able to get when you don't have your nose sort of in the play sheet game situations and maybe he's sort of adjusting to that a little bit. How to best balance that? Does that make sense Buck Well?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because when you're the head coach, there's so many other things that you response before outside of just being the offensive play caller. You have to understand what the defense is doing, what issues are giving them problems, the special teams, how you want to tie it all together. Sometimes when you're the play caller, it it's harder to kind of manage the entire game and kind of coordinate all the different phases to the to the team that's it. He has been such a good play call that he has done one of his big quarterbacks throughout his time. You do wonder by stepping back, how does it impact the thing?
Speaker 5: I kind of liken it to. I mean, like playing a video game.
Speaker 2: You and I can all play with the same team, but we have our own different styles and flavor that we add to it. Doug Peterson's flavor is a lot different than Press Taylor, and so I don't know, I kind of missed some of the dug stuff that he was doing the first year in Jacksonville.
Speaker 1: And he made reference yesterday also to you know, had to step back a little bit. Some other things were going on off to the side, and I guess you can infer that maybe it was some defensive issues he had to kind of oversee a little bit more, and maybe with a new coordinator in may not have to do as much of on that side of the ball. He's not really used to that, and maybe he can get back to some of that.
Speaker 4: He certainly said he hoped that, you know, you hope your defensive coordinator high right, Nielsen works out where he's that guy. He didn't say that Mike Caldwell wasn't, but he made reference to that a little bit. Didn't really get into what he was talking about, so to speak, of what he had to address. But if you change your dynamic just a little, then in big moments, maybe that changes it a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it does change it a lot.
Speaker 2: And so here's the thing about an offensive head coach play caller. When you're the play caller and the head coach, a lot of times you want a defensive head coach, meaning the defensive cordin is in charge of that side of the ball and you're just able to work on focus on offense and not entrust it. But because Mike Halweb might have been having some issues on that side. He had to step in and do more, and that distracted him from being able to concentrate on what he wanted to do on offense.
Speaker 1: Our guest today on Jags Am from the NFL on CBS, NFL Network, Serious XM Radio. I guess another king of the combine. I didn't know there were multiple cash it's Charles Davis Kings. Yes, what's up, Charles? How are you?
Speaker 6: I'm doing great? Yeah, we got yeah, Yeah, we're good. Got I'm doing I'm doing well. It's so great to see all of you. And Bucky's got to be sick of me, because Bucky just spent a week with me in New Orleans, the HBCU All story, the legacy story. But thank goodness, I get a chance to hang with all of you again.
Speaker 3: This is great.
Speaker 1: Good to see you. And we're reviewing Doug Peterson and Trent Balkey at the podium yesterday, Jaguars leadership and some of the play calling storylines that have come out of that on the offensive. So you saw the Jags how many times last year?
Speaker 3: God?
Speaker 5: We saw him what three times? I believe last year?
Speaker 6: I think I think it was three times. I know we saw you in Pittsburgh. It was a good win there Kansas City at home early when it was three and twenty seven degrees.
Speaker 3: It was very high.
Speaker 6: I will tell you this is a true story. The people who bring you games and televised games and will always get overlooked because you know, you know what's about our camera people happened to be out there and that that so person who runs the handheld.
Speaker 5: You know, we got it on your shoulder and you're doing it. Those cameras are black.
Speaker 6: Okay, Black's not the color you want in the heat, right, you don't want any of that.
Speaker 5: It was so hot. Literally had to go to the hospital with burns on his hand.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 5: Oh okay. And we had another camera person fall out that day.
Speaker 6: It was brutally, brutally hot heck of a football game and Jacksonville had multiple opportunities to win.
Speaker 5: It couldn't score in the red zone.
Speaker 3: Now you know a couple of years. Yeah, that's the deal.
Speaker 1: So we're talking about offensive play call and Doug Peterson didn't close the door yesterday on taking it back.
Speaker 6: And you know something, he shouldn't And I don't mean that as a slam against Press Taylor or anything like that.
Speaker 5: You're the head coach. What is best for your team.
Speaker 6: The only thing I would say, and Doug needs no advice from me, but look at what Carolina did last year and don't do that. And this is this is coming from someone with full respect for Frank Reich, because I love Frank Reich. I hated how it went for him at Carolina. But to say, you're going to be the play caller with a rookie quarterback who's number one, turn it over mid season and then take it back Bucky, that's a quarterback. Yeah, it's well, when you commit and go, that's all I say.
Speaker 3: It is hard.
Speaker 2: So we were having a conversation before you came on, and we were talking about maybe he learned something from watching Andy Reid. You certainly have seen the Kancity Chiefs, and it appears that even though he has a coordinator who is calling plays and Big Red, big Red takes over. And so I do wonder do you think that Doug can kind of pick up the phone call and they say, how do I navigate?
Speaker 3: How do I manage this situation where I'm a.
Speaker 2: Really good play caller, I have a young guy that I want to groom for kind of an elevated role. How do I kind of dip in and dip out when it comes to play call?
Speaker 5: He absolutely can call him. You know that Andy's gonna take that call. Those are all his kids, all right. He groomed him.
Speaker 6: Plus he can go back and remember his experience because Andy was still calling the plays and Doug wasn't a full time play caller when he came. Remember how Andy would let him call parts of things in different spots and.
Speaker 5: Then crunched down.
Speaker 6: I got it, I got it, and then off they would go. So he remembers how it all went.
Speaker 5: To me.
Speaker 6: It is much more about what you were saying. You're rooming a young play caller. If you want to call plays, How do I do this with this young play caller? Where that young play caller I don't lose him because he feels like I've taken something from him. That's gonna be the key if it Doug Peterson wants to do that. Mike McCarthy went through it. Remember he gave up play calling, but he always took it back in the off season and was definitive about it. When he would take it back, it wasn't during season.
Speaker 3: I'm taking it.
Speaker 5: I think that's where Doug is going right now with his dilemma.
Speaker 3: Charles.
Speaker 4: Right before you got here, we were talking about Jaguars season. Obviously it finished disastrously, which sort of made a nine and eight season feel like three and fourteen, right you maybe being a bit separate from it, where we got to get into the minutia overall, where do you see this team? Can you bounce back from what happened at the end of last year? How do you assess it going forward?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that they can. It was a major shocker. I mean, I'm not going to sit here in sugarcoat. The whole thing is.
Speaker 6: I watched it go kept thinking they're going to figure this thing out, this is going to this is going to happen, They're going to be Okay.
Speaker 5: The last time we saw you was Cleveland, right and that which was terrible. It was terrible.
Speaker 6: But you remember that was right after the Monday Night or where where Trevor got rolled up and we weren't sure he was going to play and he came out and played. Look, two seasons in a row in the AFC South, the division title was locked up at mid season, and neither one of those teams won the Division Tennessee the year before you reeled them in.
Speaker 5: Last year it was you. Houston comes in.
Speaker 6: I think it's fixable because I think the culture that Doug Peterson sets.
Speaker 5: Up is fine.
Speaker 6: I mean this, This is not other cultures that may exist around the league, where once you collapse like that, there's no coming back.
Speaker 5: I don't see that at all.
Speaker 6: And I think he and Trent Balky make the key the key decisions that have to be made in order to improve this team. And I expect him to fight it out again this year. But I think the competition's gone up because I think Indianapolis it's gonna be a problem.
Speaker 5: I really do. I think that they're going to.
Speaker 6: Be an issue depending on Anthony richardson where they go. We already know where Houston is. They found themselves, but Bucky can tell you better than any one. Young teams that play ignorant the first year out the second year also they know what they can lose.
Speaker 5: It's a different deal. I can't wait to see how Houston handles expectation. Last year was just like.
Speaker 6: I want to see how they handled the expectations going in Tennessee.
Speaker 5: We know is hitting the.
Speaker 2: Reset, But so think about expectations, the expectations around Trevor Lawrence. Everyone was expecting a major jump coming off that playoff performance.
Speaker 3: Could he be a top five quarterback?
Speaker 2: When you look at Trevor, because you've been around the league, you've seen other quarterbacks, how do you kind of slot him in the equation with the other elite quarterbacks are I'm the league.
Speaker 5: I haven't put it.
Speaker 6: I can't put him in elite yet, but the elite potential, it's all right there.
Speaker 5: Everything that we see is right there.
Speaker 6: Just what you talked about Bucky, the how he can't bounce back in the playoff game even before, how he played down the stretch. The Kansas City game encapsulated everything for me last sure, and it was early, but it.
Speaker 5: Encapsulated it all.
Speaker 6: Some brilliant plays, But what it is is Jerry Glamville used to say all the time, you know, you run the football to set it tone, but when it's time to ring that bell, you gotta be able to throw it. And inside the red zone, they couldn't ring the bell against Kansas City. And Trevor made two bad throws. And when I say bad, throws the air mailed them. Right receiver had a chance air meltal. Those are throws of the elite quarterbacks don't miss. And I think one day we'll be talking about Trevor Lawrence not missing those throws and we'll be talking about being an elite quarterback.
Speaker 1: Charles Davis with us here on Jags AM from the Indiana Convention Center at the NFL Scouting Combine. So now moving ahead, Jaguars have the seventeenth pick. We've talked throughout the off season.
Speaker 3: Card.
Speaker 6: That's a lot of notes because I was up last night to him thinking about the thing.
Speaker 1: Those all your Jaguar notes.
Speaker 6: No, no, these are multiple, multiple teams and multiple situations in the home because because you know that this is like when like cards like that, like when like oh, believe me he does don't don't, don't act like he does.
Speaker 5: But like Winnie the Pooh something bear of little brain.
Speaker 6: So I've had to make sure I put this all down so I got a chance.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, I mean, so moving ahead for the Jags, right corner back, they got a new defensive coordinator coming in. They couldn't stop to run the second half of the season, so defensive line, especially the interior, might be something to look at, but you got to protect the quarterback at some point two in the interior.
Speaker 5: So you know, right now, where are you listen?
Speaker 6: Offensive tackles a loaded position. I mean, I think you can get a really good one down at seventeen. So if that's where you want to go, depending on where the teams go, because we're gonna have a run on quarterbacks early and it wouldn't be surprised, It would not surprise me at all that some of these quarterbacks get pushed up and create a second.
Speaker 5: Run that we're going to have.
Speaker 6: Right, So if you have that, that eats up spots and then all of a sudden, what if the big.
Speaker 5: Kid at Oregon State around.
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 6: What if he's still available sitting there at that point? You know, what's the kid at Penn State?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 6: So, so you know, it's just so many different names that you're gonna go with. JC Latham, I love Autabama. I feel like he's a right tackle. So if you're thinking about true left tackle, that that might be an interesting thing. If you're think about listen, I just sat with Byron Murphy from Texas. If you're talking about interior defensive lineman. Yes, that's a whole lot of man right there.
Speaker 5: There's no question.
Speaker 6: And at corner. I don't know he's gonna make it down to you, but he might.
Speaker 5: Rigstraw, Oh, Missouri.
Speaker 6: The reason I say that is because in your division there's a running back in Indianapolis. Are going to try and get going again, Houston. Actually you got defensive head minded head coach. He'd like to run the ball a little bit more. And they started to do that, trying to emerge who it was. Damian Pierce had a bad year, but they jumped that back up again because Devin Singletary played really well in Tennessee.
Speaker 5: With Brian Callahan.
Speaker 6: I don't rule that out because if they do find a way to resign, Derrick Henry as a good starting blot from because he's gonna have a young quarterback.
Speaker 5: But Rakestraw will tackle out at the corner.
Speaker 6: So I know we're talking about Terry and Arnold, right, we're talking about Nate Wiggins hit Clemson. All that, you'll have an opportunity for an elite corner.
Speaker 5: I think if you want one at seventeen.
Speaker 1: That's the way you went, Bucky on your latest mock one of seventeen mocks, you're.
Speaker 5: Gonna which one did you? Who'd you have in Nate Wiggins?
Speaker 2: And part of that is because Ryan Nielsen coming in Christy Sharp, the way they want to play on the perimeter, a lot of press coverage doing those things. But you had a chance to see someone that is of interest Quinnon Mitchell, Yeah, from Toledo. You had a chance to see him down at the Senior Bowl. What can you tell us about this small school standout?
Speaker 6: This kid, to me, has a plan when he lines up to play. He's one of those side saddle guys, right, meaning he wants to be able to look back into your what your offense is doing. So he wants to be on the outside of the receiver and kind of catch you at break points and then go get you. A week at the Senior Bowl, I thought that, you know, really, I thought he lost like one major route. And by the way, it's a five yard game. It was against Roman Wilson, and Roman threw about eight moves in including the last one, and at the end of the day, you're like, okay, five yards, I'll give that up. For the most part, he competes for anything downfield.
Speaker 5: The year before it was a major ball hawk. He took the ball away.
Speaker 6: Didn't get as many opportunities last year, but he still had almost the same number of passes broken up. I think he's a legit item. I was really impressed by what I saw. And if somehow that's the guy, I don't see any reason why he you know, that wouldn't be a good pick for you.
Speaker 1: All right, Charles's final thoughts with you here. What's the rest of your week looking like?
Speaker 6: Here in Indye hanging out with Bucky here, because because we're both about to get ready to go to work for NFL Network on the draft stuff Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, you know, check your local TV list things like we used to say, and I'll be doing that. But the truth of the matter is I'm still playing catch up, you know, and trying to learn all these kids and learn all these prospects. And this is valuable for people like me, like guys who do it year round, they should be in pretty good shape.
Speaker 5: And this is it's not finishing school.
Speaker 6: But you know what I'm saying, right, hockey for me, this is like the first day of school, okay, And so it's it's a lot of fun. I've done work, don't get me wrong, but at the same time, and I get to see them move and do all the other things. So that's gonna be a lot of fun. And I'll be spending a lot of time on the field, which really really is fun for me. It keeps me involved and I'm right around these kids and I get to kind of do.
Speaker 5: You measure a little bit?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, that's sort of a sort of a deal.
Speaker 6: We were in New Orleans and there was a quarterback that we liked, and both of us were walking in the field and we made sure we got next to them so we can kind of measure them them up, size them up.
Speaker 5: That's what you get to do here at the Combine.
Speaker 1: You're the best, Charles.
Speaker 5: Thanks, I'm so great to see you guys. Continue success.
Speaker 6: I'll be up to bout you during training camp, maybe even before, and I hope we get some more games.
Speaker 1: Funny ahead that Charles Davis, We're back with more in a moment. It's jags Am from Indeed. Welcome back to Indianapolis. Jags Am continues. Move the Freight, Move the Freight. Magellan Transportation voted coolest office based in Jacksonville. Apply online at Magellanlogistics dot com. Magellan is spelled m A g E l l a N. It's jags am from Indianapolis Or thanks to Charles Davis, John Ozier, Bucky Brooks with us here on Radio Row. Trent Balke and Doug Peterson joined us at the table here yesterday and we asked them both about the days following the season, the meetings, and how they found a path forward.
Speaker 7: The biggest thing, too, is just talking to players, and we had really good, good conversations with players at the end of the year. You know, just how can we as a staff help them and do and do better?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 7: And and you know, so that's kind of where it starts for me, That's where it starts, and really with the players and making sure that that I'm doing and the staff is doing everything in our power to make sure that they have the best available to them on the football field, can execute and we can execute at a high level, because obviously the last month we.
Speaker 3: Didn't do that.
Speaker 8: When you end up the way we did that, there's the wise and the first thing you have to do is answer those questions, what are the wise?
Speaker 3: How do we end up there? And I think we did that.
Speaker 8: We assessed it, and if we do that and we make the changes that we feel we need to make, we're going to be looking back and saying this was a good process that we went through. This organization maybe needed to go through this to get to where we ultimately want to go. Nobody likes to lose, nobody likes to be out of the playoffs, but really, at the end of the day, there's only one team standing that's happy with how their season ended.
Speaker 3: We obviously weren't happy.
Speaker 8: We got together, we sat down, we talked it through, we made it a plan along with the rest of the stabs, both personnel and coaching, and now it's time to execute it.
Speaker 1: That, of course, was yesterday Trim Balke and Doug Peterson. The full conversation with both here at the table available now on Jaguars dot com, and those are take us through some of those. I don't know how many of those kind of conversations after a season you might have been involved with in a scouting capacity, but those are not fun, but they have to be had.
Speaker 2: It's an important reset, right, Yeah, It's an important reset because what you want to do is you want to tell the truth, you want.
Speaker 3: To honestly assess where your team is.
Speaker 2: And it's one thing to be hopeful and optimistic about what the team is going to accomplish, but after the season, you saw exactly what the team was and you have to evaluate the team for as it was.
Speaker 5: It's a nine and eight team. Where can we get better?
Speaker 2: What is the personnel actually like From an ego standpoint, do we need to give our draftees more opportunities or do we need to move on from some of the guys that have underperformed. All of those things have to be included in the conversation, and you want to put the best plan together that allows you to get back and to look be a better team than they were last year. And sometimes it takes having to those hard conversations and making tough decisions in the offseason about who remains on the Jaguars who's not.
Speaker 1: You'll think that some of those began though, as the season was starting to wind. Now, they don't just magically start, no, you know, January.
Speaker 4: Eighth, But the tone changes, right, Yeah, you sort of stop hoping a guy is going to get better in the last few weeks, and then you say, okay, well, he's not or we know now we have to move on from this veteran. Do we like this rookie's coming up behind him? So this these last six seven weeks always fascinate me because you wind up at the combine. Now everybody it's the cliche, and everybody really is O and O again, everybody really has hope. To me, I liked what Doug and Trent said here yesterday, you know, but now they have to go execute it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they have to go execute it.
Speaker 2: And it's really important given all of the fodder that existed in Jacksonville about the two being kind of like having an acrimonious relationship or whatever. Can they get on the same page and can they make decisions that are in the best entries of the team and not individual agendas, And so whether it's free agency, draft picks or whatever, everything has to be done with what is best for the Jaguars in mind, and that requires taking an honest assessment of the team and where they need to make improvements to get this team to where we know they want to go.
Speaker 1: We've got plenty ahead. We'll take a time out back in a moment. We'll hear from Daniel Jeremiah fard of him.
Speaker 3: Oh DJ, he joined the podcast.
Speaker 1: Yes, move the sticks pod right, should be fun. Back in a moment. We'll hear from him, and then we've got time a little later fanatics fan questions, Oh, we put out the cat signal and we've come up with some good ones.
Speaker 5: Cool.
Speaker 1: We'll see if we can match that with good answers as well. That's a little bit later, and this is jaggs af.
Speaker 3: The receiver group. We can say this every year is loaded.
Speaker 9: I have twelve in my top fifty which I posted to the day that the record is eleven receivers going in the top fifty. That happened twice. One of those years was nineteen ninety four and the eleventh receiver.
Speaker 3: Was Bucky Brooks. How about that. That's a little nugget for you. Wow.
Speaker 9: So I think there's a chance that could go down this year. I think we could see that many receivers. It is stacked wide receivers, deep tackles, deep offensive tackles, deep corner. Has a good amount of depth there. It's an interesting kind of hero zero draft this year.
Speaker 1: Welcome back as Shags A m from the Indiana Convention Center, Indianapolis, JP Shadwick, John Oser, and Bucky Brooks. That was Daniel Jeremiah, NFL Network Draft analyst and the full conversation available now on Jaguars dot Com. Eleventh receiver that year.
Speaker 2: Huh yeah, eleventh receiver and based on the way to career played that I probably shouldn't have been eleven, Like I had to go and play deepense.
Speaker 5: So I don't even really count.
Speaker 2: But versatility, the versatility, But I think it's a great point what we're seeing, and it's been talked about on other platforms and other mediums. This is the byproduct of what we call seven on seven culture. These kids are being exposed to the passing game earlier. They're having more reps and more opportunities to catch the ball and do things where they master the passing game.
Speaker 3: And so it's not a surprise that.
Speaker 5: Each and every year we see a very deep.
Speaker 2: And talented collection of pass catchers make their way to the league. It's really hopeful because if you're the Jaguars, you don't have to expend the first round pick to get a quality wide receiver. Second third round, there would be people that are available that can come in and contribute.
Speaker 5: And so it's a position that you always can keep.
Speaker 2: An eye on because you can't find contributors outside of the first round.
Speaker 4: Okay, conceptually, Bucky, does that turn it in terms of the draft long term? Does that make it sort of like running back where unless you're special special that it drives there? It should drives it down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it should because we talk about some line demand. If you're having so many talented players that are so closely graded, it should allow you to go elsewhere for a position that has a shallower pool to then come back in and get it in.
Speaker 3: When you look at guys like.
Speaker 2: Puka Nakula, fifth round pick that comes out of nowhere and plays at a high level, you think about our nemesis in our division, Tankdale and what he was able to do immediately for the Houston Texans, And the list goes on and on about these receivers that were taken outside of the first round that popped immediately. Yeah, you certainly can find receiver outside of the first round that can come in and be a big time player.
Speaker 1: Where are you We've talked a little bit with Charles about this, but you know, cornerback in this defense, you know, is it the highest priority? Where would you rank the priorities of need right now.
Speaker 2: For the Jags, I'm always going to op for somewhere up somebody up front over as opposed to somebody in the back end, particularly a defensive tackle, because it depending on how they decide to play. Trayvon Walker ultimately determines is her edge play player is a guy that moves inside as a tweener. Do you need another pass rusher on nickel downs when it's obvious passing situations. A lot of that will be determined those conversations they have with Ryan Nilsen what division of the defense is in terms of the cornerback position. You can get some guys outside of the first round that can do it, but I would say the pool that cornerback is deeper than.
Speaker 3: The pool at edge rusher.
Speaker 2: And so if edge rusher is a priority, like we think it always is, you got to invest in the edge rusher or the defensive tackle early, come back and get the corner later.
Speaker 4: And then what do you do interior your offensive line? I mean, it's always hard because you wish you had three picks in the top twenty instead of one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I would say this, there's some guys that are intriguing. The conversation revolves around guard and center. There's been a lot of conversation about center. It's a really solid center class the guys that you can get, but also with the offensive guards. You can get those guys. But you have to remember we're at a time there where all of these guys are like swing players, meaning they can play multiple spots. For instance, there's a guy from Duke coming out grand Board who's a outstanding player, but he's a tackle, but he also has center experience, and so trying to find guys that can do multiple things.
Speaker 3: That might be the way to go because you start a.
Speaker 2: House side kee comm inside try and find a place for them to be able to put your best five on the field.
Speaker 4: At the same time, Award Mighty used to say, the kids always should learn how to snap, because you gotta have.
Speaker 2: Everybody needs to learn how to snap. Everybody, Hey, everybody snap. You should be snapping right now during breaks.
Speaker 1: We got a minute and a half. I'll learn in a hurry. We're back in a moment. The fanatics fan questions and we'll wrap it up after this. From Indianapolis, this is jags Am.
Speaker 10: You know that's an aygoing discussion that we're having with his agent. In fact, later today I'm gonna have another meeting with him as well, So just ongoing.
Speaker 3: I don't want to speculate on that.
Speaker 8: Let's just you know, we got a week, a little over a week to work with here. We're gonna work diligently with his agent to try to come to a resolution.
Speaker 3: On this thing.
Speaker 10: So that's that's where our focus is right now.
Speaker 1: Strip Balky of course at the podium yesterday. The full podium access available at tag wars dot com for both he and Doug Peterson. Welcome back. It's jags am k P. Shabrick on oser Bucky Brooks Our thanks to Charles Davis. That was obviously with the Josh Allen negotiations ongoing, and that was yesterday. Apparently meetings yesterday with the representation. The same idea for Calvin Ridley. Bulky said that they met with Ridley one on one in the office last week, so that conversation is ongoing, and said don't worry about the draft picks off as much. They want to get the player. Yeah, and no matter what that takes. Okay.
Speaker 4: Also supposed to meet with Ezra Cleveland's people at some point this week as well. So that's going on.
Speaker 1: A lot happened that time of year. And then what March fifth is the deadline for the franchise tag book He the second part of that answer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so there are a lot of things that you're trying to juggle. The one thing that everyone needs to be aware of and this bowls well for the players and wells as a team. The salary cap going up. Surprising number goes up by thirty million dollars, and so that opens up opportunities to do some things. So, for instance, we kind of thought that maybe Cam Robinson would be gone when now the cap goes up, that conversation has kind of shifted a little bit, which helps the team in terms of that having the harmony, the continuity on the offensive line. The number going up also helps when it comes to trying to fit in a bigger contract with Josh Allen and maybe Calvin Ridley. How does it go? You have to be optimistic if these things are going to shift. The Calvin Ridley conversation changes though, because t Higgins sign into franchise Tag, what's Nail available on the free agent market?
Speaker 3: Say what you want about him?
Speaker 2: He now becomes a more and more key free agent, and so that could be that could cost a few more coins to retain a service.
Speaker 4: Yeah, can let him go all of a sudden, You're trying to replace eight touchdowns in a thousand yards.
Speaker 1: So I.
Speaker 4: Like that eight touchdowns one thousand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right. Who doesn't. Time now for the Fanatics fan questions. DAGs fans gear up at fanatics dot com with all the latest DAG styles. Shop now and get today's special offer. Fanatics dot Com officially licensed everything. We put the cat signal out earlier last night. Here's the best we've come up with at climber Yoda two five eight eight nine. What are the chances of bringing to Neil Hunter and keeping Josh Allen as well? Seeing a few reports that link us to Hunter.
Speaker 2: Look, that would be great, but you're gonna have to give up something to get him. But it would be fantastic to be able to pair Josh Allen with Daniel Hunter and to have Trademon Walker, because to win at the highest level you need to have three pass rushes, two outside, one inside. That would allow you to kick Trademon Walking inside on some of those special downs.
Speaker 3: I would like it but now can you pull it off? That would be the bigger thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's been rumored for a long time. With rumors like that, I tend to take a let's see if it actually happens, because you can get lost in a million of these things. Would it makes sense?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 4: But like Bucky said, can they pull it off with? You know, do you want to give up the equity either cap equity or if it takes trade. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know either. Next question at No Hobby two, why are they so defensive of the offensive line?
Speaker 4: Well, I'll tell you this from first back, I said answers all the time. There's no gain to not talking positively about the guys in media availabilitiest media availability situation. And you can say what you want, Okay, you've got to replace the center, you got to replace this guard. Well, then if you get to the draft and you don't like what you're trying to replace and it doesn't quite work out, well, then you criticize something for no reason. So they know that there's spots, Doug said yesterday, there's places where Luke Fordner's got to get better. There's places where every being alfason. It's got to get better. But you defend in this situation because as a coach in a GM, there's no reason not to.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, he doesn't want to put throw his guys under the bus, regardless of what those internal discussions have been, he TRIMBALKI the players, I mean the coaching staff and the personnel staff, they understand where they have to go, but it's not for public consumption.
Speaker 3: That's why you don't want to do it.
Speaker 2: Because if you pus them out there and then they're unable to pull off the plan that they have in place, well, now you've got to play a disgruntaled player, a player who doesn't have the confidence of the coaches.
Speaker 3: He knows that it just makes it for a more difficult thing.
Speaker 2: It is better to just put the positive spin on it and to tack that situation later.
Speaker 4: But you can tell from the way they've talked they know the line needs to get better. It's not like they're sticking their head in the sand on it. But there's a certain way that you talk about these things when you talk about it in this time of year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let was talk yesterday that you know, the line that they thought would be the starting line played one game together. Yeah, last year, the continuity mattered a lot, or lack of it for the lack of success up there.
Speaker 5: I mean, you certainly had a big impact on you.
Speaker 2: Just the best offensive lines play together the snap at the snap at the snap, and we just didn't see that level of consistency last year.
Speaker 4: One the Doug's point, especially on the left side, he didn't, So that's what really destroyed that that side of the line for that season. Doug talked about that all.
Speaker 1: Game final question at jbsnsley. How will Peterson evaluate the offensive play calling and make a decision moving ahead? What does that process entail?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: I mean, I think you go through the entire offseason, You go back, you've looked at all the games, You continue to let Press work at it, You do all the things, you get into preseason maybe preseason games, and kind.
Speaker 3: Of go through the process and see how it's going. He'll know when.
Speaker 5: He needs to make that decision whether he needs.
Speaker 2: To jump in or if he can trust Press to continue to go with it. I think it's an ongoing development that we have to monitor.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know that we'll know the exact process because for Doug, a lot of it maybe feel meaning, Hey, I like what I like what's going on. Defensively, I like how this game situation got handled last year with a chance to reflect, maybe he does feel more comfortable about what Charles and Bucky were talking about. Hey, I'm gonna let Press do it. But then there's gonna be situations where there's a means where I can come in and take over. So I think the process is just study, evaluation, conversations.
Speaker 1: You have it, fanatics, fan questions are in that'll dole bit for our show today, We've got Jack's Happy Hour Thursday, four o'clock on tenchin xl AM and the Jaguars YouTube channel. Pete Priscoe will join us at the start of the show, and doctor Kevin Kaplan from Jacksonville, Wor's Beef Institute, the Jaguars team physician scheduled to join us as well to talk through all the combine medical checks and things bay for the medical A fun conversation. Busy day ahead. We'll have interviews coming up later throughout the afternoon on Jaguars dot Com and Bucky Enjoy your palace.
Speaker 2: I will, I will enjoy. Hopefully I get a chance to see you guys. We can hang out. I know John has the credit cards, so we make sure we run to Pila ring the bell.
Speaker 1: We will do that. That's John Oser, Bucky Brooks. I'm JP Shatrick. Thanks to our entire crew here in Indy and back in Jacksonville, and thanks to you for watching jags Am