Speaker 1: Welcome to NFL Daily, where we love a dislocated thumb. I'm Greg Rosenthal here in the Chris Westling podcast studio. It's a camp Buzz Tuesday with my friend Nick Shook, the offensive lineman. Did you mangle your your fingers up like a lot of the linemen like Baldy style?
Speaker 2: I aren't too bad.
Speaker 3: I got a little bit of of oh bend here, but nothing terrible.
Speaker 1: I'm double jointed with the thumb, so it looks a little it looks a little funny. I can also bend my fingers all the way back, so that's completely except okay, no, I went I can touch the back I mean, which.
Speaker 4: Is it's not good for you.
Speaker 1: It's a big it's a big thumb day around the NFL because, yeah, A J. Brown dislocated his thumb and Mike Rable made fun of it a little bit at the podium.
Speaker 4: Guy, I think he's gonna be okay. I think I think he's going to be okay.
Speaker 1: Now I tell him the lineman do that every other snap, and you know, it's not a national story when Alignment pops his finger in place.
Speaker 5: But we had a little bit of fun.
Speaker 1: I love seeing Rabel there at the podium has kind of been under the radar, by the way, just Mike Rabel beat a normal coach again, got a lot of grief for using the dog as a shield on his first training camp press conference. I don't know if you remember that shook, But when you consider the off season that Mike Rabel has had, the noise has quieted down, and yes, AJ Brown didn't miss any practice time and he's out there going one on one with Christian Gonzales day after day, which Rabel says has been a highlight of camp, just seeing kind of these two greats going at each other. In the last few days, he's been beating Gonzales down the field. I don't know if I have a question or a bigger thought on this. I just thought I would start with thumbs because I saw our friend Gerald McCoy was on Get Up Now, our NFL network brethren are now regularly on ESPN, and he showed some pretty disgusting digits were bangled.
Speaker 3: Look, that's part of the wear and tear that comes with playing in the trenches in the NFL.
Speaker 4: But I'm all about digits. I'm all about keeping people healthy.
Speaker 3: I'm all about you know, minor injuries at best, because we're in training camp when worst things happen.
Speaker 4: You know what else of them all about?
Speaker 2: Greg, Yes, I don't know.
Speaker 4: If you're into the aesthetic of the game as much as I am.
Speaker 3: But yesterday the new sideline gear was released, new caps, which means one thing for me, it's time for me to get a new rob Low hat.
Speaker 1: This wow, is that that's not part of the new sideline gear.
Speaker 4: This is last year's sideline. Yeah, you're the old NFL hat.
Speaker 1: Okay, So yeah, this is a real advertisement to join us on YouTube. We're there every day. Obviously we love you listening to the podcast. But you can see Nick Schuok there, I will check out that Sideline gear. We're way off track to start the show. It's a Camp Buzz episode, which means we're hitting the news as quickly as we can. We're getting you out of here before our division preview, which will go up on Wednesday. We got some big contracts signed, but John Robinson is now locked up long term. I decided because I don't think he's making enough money to make a very impromptu all underpaid team that would just fly through. And then some other bits and Bobs in terms of injuries around the NFL, and also the QB tiers with that Mike Sando puts out every year. We'll have some takes on that at the end of the show, but let's start with John Robinson. Fifty one million dollars guaranteed on a three year deal. It's an extension up to seventy five million dollars. When I heard that Bajhon Robinson and Jamior Gibbs might be resetting the market, I was then disappointed by the amount of this contract. That's why I'm doing an all underpaid team. I know he's making more than every other running back in the league, it's by like a million or two over Saquon per year, but man running backs are still underpaid. If Jon Robinson can't get more guaranteed money than the guard that they signed earlier this week, I mean, what are we talking about, Nick Schuck, Well.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's it's indicative of the fact that despite the the re emergence of the importance of the running back position, running backs are still not paid as well as we would like them to be, even when you're a player of John Robinson's caliber, and it's because of the shelf life as we all know, and I totally agree. In fact, if anybody's gonna be upset about it, it's probably the other running back that's was doing the hold in this week, which is Jamiir Gibbs. Because these were always going to be tandem deals. He's yet to sign with the Lions. He's probably not gonna get as much money as he thought he would either. If you do the fifty one million guaranteed over three years, right, it's what seventeen a year average guarantee per year. That's still a million behind Saquan's average guarantee per year.
Speaker 4: And I have to blame.
Speaker 3: Saquan a little bit because after he got paid, he wasn't as good as he was the year before, which, of course is very ever to have a two thousand yard season.
Speaker 4: It's just not fair, man, come on pay the running backs.
Speaker 1: I was referred to Matthew bergeron Look. It's a one to one comparison because it's the same team. Matthew bergeron a upper middle class guard. Shall we say, it's been like okay in his NFL career, got sixty million dollars guaranteed from this same Falcons team on a four year ninety six million dollar extension. I understand the guard market is different than the offensive line market, but I just remember Raheem Morris and a lot of other people pointing out last year, this is the best player in the NFL. This is not Saquon Barkley at the age that Saquon Barkley was at Kyle freaking pittscot like three years fifty four million. It's not that much different. It's less, but it's not that much different than Bajon Robinson. It doesn't make any sense to me, And you're absolutely right. I'm glad you made that point about Gibbs because usually you want to be the second guy to sign the deal. But in this case, I wonder if him and his agents saw this and thought, really, bro because everyone thinks you're a little bit better than me. Let's listen to Dan Campbell, who might have been happy about this Baijon Robinson deal coming down. This is him speaking on Tuesday.
Speaker 5: I think it's certainly not going to hurt. I mean, it's not gonna hurt, but we'll see, you know, we'll see. I'm look, I'm just to get Gibbs back out there. Every day that goes by. You know, that's that's another day that you feel like you miss with him and getting them out there with the guys and and him being doing his part. So but there again, man, It'll get done when it gets done.
Speaker 1: Jamir Gibbs talked to the media briefly after practice on Monday. He was out watching practice for the first time that they had seen him, and he said he wasn't holding out because of contract related and then they asked him, well, what are you holding out?
Speaker 2: He's like, I don't you know, I don't know.
Speaker 4: He said, he said, what I'm aiming toward? Uh, I don't know.
Speaker 3: This is the same running back who when I went to the Pro Bowl and I tried to ask him about like a new offense, you know, moving on from last year's offensive coordinator to Detroit. I was like, how's it gonna look? And he goes, I don't know, we haven't been there yet. Yeah, okay, simple, Yeah.
Speaker 1: You're not gonna get it much out of him. I'm disappointed. And yet it's tough because fans would get on bajon the If ever someone was going to reset a market, it was going to be him, really whole holding the Falcons feet to the fire, like you just will never convince me that he is worth like eight million dollars less per year than Chris o'lave, Like, what are we doing? What are we doing here? Everyone recognizes he's a better player.
Speaker 3: It's this is the power. This is why Arthur Blank made Matt Ryan president of football. It's the ability to schmooze his players into taken contracts.
Speaker 4: Now so friendly.
Speaker 1: They just they just took advantage of a guy who did have more years left on his contract with a fifth year option and all that. So he is getting the deal early. That's worth pointing out. But this, this contract's going to age well. We'll get to other contracts that have aged well in a minute. It's a Flowers contract that came down on Tuesday morning, four years up to one hundred and forty million. They're not even saying the up to in the original announcements from these insiders. I'm watching you insiders. You gotta at least say the up to. It's just straight up lying. At some point they say one hundred and eight million dollars. I'm not sure if that's guaranteed or in guaranteed a player that I've struggled with because he's so different than most wide receivers and yet he's always freaking open. And this team would stink if they didn't have Zay Flower. So very important to them. And as you look at the lists of long term wide receivers, he deserves to be on it. And so if you're the next one up, you're going to get paid pretty well. I think he's somewhere in that top twenty five receivers in the league. Not sure how high you would have him, Nick, I would.
Speaker 3: Put him in there as well, both because of production and importance to this offense. This guy who's had a thousand yards receiving twelve hundred last year. In each of his last two years, he's got nine total touchdowns between the last two years. He's key part of this passing game. He was a key part of the passing game under Todd Mounkin. I'm curious to see how his role might evolve with a new offensive coordinator now in town and Todd Munkin being the coach of the Browns. But I think he's proven that he's worth this type of money to this team where they don't have you know, they haven't spent a lot of money on a receiver, which is unlike most of the other teams in the NFL.
Speaker 4: But it is interesting with these contracts because we have.
Speaker 3: The up to one forty on the extension and we have the one hundred and eight million guaranteed. So if you start sorting guys by average guarantee per year, he lands in the top three. He's actually had a justin Jefferson in terms of average guarantee per year because mental math tells me that's what twenty seventy year fifty four twenty seven times four is one o eight.
Speaker 4: I believe something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, and so that would put him, you know, just behind George Pickens on the franchise tag. So's that's good money. We'll see if it ends up being the four year, one forty up to one forty that we see right now. But it's something that he deserves and it's a key part of the Ravens as they take this next step into their new era with Jesse Mitcher as their coach.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: When we when we put him on our all thirty two you know rankings, he ended up in the twenties with with me and Nate Tice when we did our wide receiver rankings. He and Lamar Jackson have a pretty special connection. And now I think just the way that they understand each other and where they're going to be, it looks unpredictable.
Speaker 5: Z A.
Speaker 1: Flowers has a little bit of Antonio Brown to him, where it's like I'll run the route that just gets me open and you figure it out. And Lamar and him are great at putting that together. So Lamar is on my underpaid team. I just decided let's go through the veteran contracts. Obviously the best rookies. The guys who are on rookie contracts still like a Puka Nakua, are the most underpaid players in the NFL because they just haven't gotten that veteran contract. I wanted this to be limited to veterans who are the most underpaid. Lamar is my quarterback fifty two million dollars a year, which sounds pretty great, but it's still, you know, over ten under the top guys and less than Brock Purty, Jared Goff, Trevor Lawrence does act as his own agent, but it's more about that he's like the next up and he's going into a contract year. Lamar Jackson my pretty clear all underpaid quarterback at running back. It's a guy who signed pretty recently, James Cook only at eleven million dollars per year. Like, what kind of shocking that James Cook is making half as much as the top running backs in this market and he's probably not gonna get his next deal this this These numbers are from the over the Cap website, so thank you to them. What do you what do you think like Lamar is gonna get with the Ravens. Do you think he will be the highest paid quarterback in the league. Do you think it'll happen before this year? Like, how do you think this all plays out? It's pretty crazy to have a player this good going into his contract year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that he'll probably get past Dak Prescott.
Speaker 3: I don't know if he'll get past sixty four million per year with Patrick Mahomes because of the way that they've structured that and then allows him to kind of get in that range. But I mean, it's the perfect time it's going to happen, because it has to happen before next year. His cap number next year is eighty four point three million dollars. You have to stretch that out over the future. So he's gonna get a raise, it's gonna climb the charts, and it should. But because of where the quarterbacks rankings, you know, get deep into the numbers, the nerd category, the financial nerd category of this podcast. Beneath maybe you have to do attatch between beneath Patrick Mahomes and Dak Prescott. You have four quarterbacks, five quarterbacks. Yeah, counting, it's hard to count a spreadsheet for me, but fifty five million dollars per year for Matthew Stafford, Jordan Loved, Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawrence, and Josh Allen.
Speaker 4: I think Lamar will pass all of them.
Speaker 3: Get in that Dak and Patrick Mahomes range because it has to happen. But and I agree, I think that he is relatively underpaid. James Cook, I think is the better point of the two, as crazy as it sounds, because the guy you led the NFL in rushing last year sixteen twenty one yards on thousand, six hundred twenty one yards, twelve touchdowns, he's been the engine. We give all the credit in the world to Josh Allen, as we should, but he has been the real counterbalance to Josh Allen.
Speaker 4: The real engine of the offense.
Speaker 3: His success has allowed Josh Allen to be that much better as a quarterback. And yet the way that they handled this contract, there was a period there where it felt like the Bills just weren't interested in paying him, and then they he ended up, you know, kind of forcing their hand, but they kind of went out. But with this deal, I mean, there's a number of running backs that are well ahead of him in apy, some guys who signed recently, some guys you didn't sign recently, you've got immediately in front of him, or Josh Jacobs, Travstn, Alvin Kamara, Jeremiah Love on a rookie contract, Jonathan Taylor, Like he should be making more money than some of these guys, Kenneth Walker, who just signed this year, and yet he's you know, he's under contract through twenty twenty nine now, So that's elaborated it be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess so. And I don't want to root for management in these cases. No, And someone pointed out, well, but John Robinson has the highest guaranteed of the running backs. I'm like, no, he doesn't, because a rookie Jeremiah Love actually had more guaranteed money than him, which is just if nothing else, Bijon should have just held their feet to the fire extended this thing a few more weeks, but he wanted to get back with his team. The rest of my all underpaid team Mike Evans, but that was partly by choice. He took less money to go to San Francisco, but he is less making less money per year than Josh Palmer, which is crazy. Nico Collins somehow just signed a raise a deal, and yet because they got him at such a discount early rate, he still is underpaid. To me at tight end, I couldn't really find a great tight end Chicko Conqua, I thought, actually will wind up being underpaid to the rookie. The guys on the rookie contract, Brock Powers and Colston Lovelin were my choice there. The offensive line, Andrew Thomas got a ton of guaranteed money, but he is an elite left tackle that is only making twenty three million dollars per year and they hold his rights for another like four or five years. That is going to age extremely well for the Giants, so he's never gonna leave there. At defensive tackle, it's Videvea who's looking for a trade. Cam Hayward is still at at a good price. I know he's old, but he's still playing at a very high level. And then his teammate is my choice at edge, Alex Heismith only making seventeen million dollars a year, only got twenty seven million dollars guaranteed. He is due a new contract. At linebacker, I liked Fred Warner still, yeah, I know that contract's fairly recent, but he's just so good that kind of similar to Bajhon Robinson. Wow, he's only making twenty one million dollars a year, Like that's like David Edwards money, like the guard for the Saints. Like it's just it's impressive. And then Jalen Petree is my defensive back at thirteen million dollars a year. He's kind of transitioned into a nickelback. He was a safety. But man, that is that is a bargain. So those are that's my all underpaid team. I don't know if anyone stands out or anyone else you wanted to put on there.
Speaker 3: I have an issue with classification when it comes to some of these guys who are listed as linebackers but they're living more in an edge roll Nick Herbig is one of those guys, because when you're trying to compare Alex Highsmith's contract, you have to factor in Herbig, and then you have to consider the Steelers overall cap situation. They obviously have a ton of money dedicated to JJAT or tj WAT excuse me, at forty one million dollars per year. And then you go down the list and it's like, if you combine edge and linebacker salaries, you got to go pretty far down to find high Smith at seventeen per year. You get Herbig at twenty five per year. They're kind of operating, I mean, within the same financial poll, but it's also the same positional pool for the most part. But then again, you look at the Steeler's cap space three million dollars as of right now, four point nine projected next year according to over the cap It balloons in twenty twenty eight. But it explains why high Smith is far down on that list.
Speaker 1: And he might get traded. I think this is going to be his last year on the team. So that's our quick all underpaid team. And yeah, but John Robinson might immediately go on it because he's that good. Some notes in terms of injuries around the NFL. On this Tuesday, the Jets rookie tight end Kenyan Sidiq is out. Sounds like it's gonna be a little while. Aaron Glenn sounded optimistic that his rookie tight end could be back for Week one, but he's already been out for three days and what I hate to hear is that it's a recurrence of this growing hernia issue that he's struggled with a little bit coming into the draft out of Oregon. So there's been a lot of positivity about the Jets offense at training camp so far, some Jets fans wondering is that a bad sign about their defense?
Speaker 2: Either way.
Speaker 1: Kenyan Sidik who is going to be a real weapon next to Mason Taylor, that is one to watch. I'd be really disappointed if we don't get like full city to start this season because I'm in on that Jets Titans Week one game. It's it looks ugly, but I want to see what it looks like.
Speaker 3: I just want to see what you and yet Bob solid revenge opportunity there Titans too.
Speaker 4: That makes it even juicier.
Speaker 3: I always worry about core muscle injuries now the groin herney is a little bit different than your traditional core muscle injury. But like I think about when I think it was Odell's first year in Cleveland, where nobody really knew that he was dealing with a core muscle injury for most of the year. But talking to him, talking to Jarvis Landry, who was dealing with a hip injury that entire season, you understood by the end of it why they were limited in the way that they were. And I would hate for a guy like Sadik, who is an athletic freak. That is his greatest strength is his athleticism. He still kind of needs to work on hands consistency. I would hate for him to have to deal with that in his first year in the NFL. When the level is raised, your athleticism is more important than ever. If you're limited by something like that lowers your ceiling. I would hate that because I'm excited. That's one of the twelve personnel groups that I'm most excited to watch this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are so many times where I can remember a second year player and the off season storyline is, well, I missed that time in training camp and he never really caught up was banged up rookie, I mean, and it makes sense that just like you, you never really catch up.
Speaker 2: You need that time in camp. So I'll keep you keeping an eye on that.
Speaker 1: Some other injuries, DeVante Smith and mackay Lemon are out of practice for the Eagles on Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Will see if those are series.
Speaker 1: Lane Johnson has also been away for the team for three days for personal reasons. I check out the Zach Jackson and Friends podcast covering the Browns. He thought day five for Day and Pads was another day where Shadur Sanders one, and that Shadur Sanders is clearly winning this quarterback competition so far, and that the rookie wide receivers are looking good there. We'll see if the Browns agree and if that continues. One guy who doesn't have to battle for his job anymore is Matthew Stafford and our producer Eric Roberts on the ones and twos running back and forth playing and the sound drops. I thought this was an interesting SoundBite here from Stafford that just kind of speaks to where the Rams are at right now.
Speaker 6: You know, there was a lot of high quality plays out there, plays that you know in the books will go down as good for the offense, and in the books that will go down as good for the defense that sometimes you just tip your cap, you know. I mean, they covered a couple things really nicely and were plays where maybe in a game they shake out a little bit differently, go to the ground or whatever it is. But like, man, that's as high quality of practice football as I've been around.
Speaker 1: I'm not surprised. I'm looking forward to being there on Wednesday. We will you know, talk to the team and everything that'll go up on Thursday. But for a veteran like that, who's looking kind of swoo Matthew Stafford right now, definitely ready to go for the season, Like it's going to benefit that offense and that defense to go up against each other throughout camp.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what's the old saying the cliche iron sharpens iron.
Speaker 4: Everything has good.
Speaker 3: Vibes coming out of the Rams camp right now, and it's going to continue to be that way for as long as there's every reason for that to be like that. I mean, you don't want an injury or something terrible to happen, but understandably so, everybody's excited about what they have and it's good to hear that they're a well oiled machine at this point in training camp, when you're working out a lot of kinks elsewhere. But I do have one recommendation, and this is so superficial, and I know it doesn't matter, but the shirt that Matthew Stafford was wearing, it looked like he just got off of a water ride at an amusement park.
Speaker 4: That's bad.
Speaker 2: That's bad.
Speaker 4: Matt, pick a better shirt.
Speaker 3: I know it doesn't matter, it's under your pads, but like when it comes to the press conference, just wear something better.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're saying that's not it's not flattering.
Speaker 4: It's not flattering.
Speaker 2: It just looked.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it does look like it that the shirt you wear, or at least that a man of my age wears at the public pool like in Vegas.
Speaker 3: If you're there, Yes, yes, I just got off the front row of the log flume. I'm drenched with my kids and I'm ready to take a family photo.
Speaker 4: Now, let's pick a better shirt.
Speaker 2: I mean, he is a family man. He's got like four daughters.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about Netflix and their broadcasts of NFL games this year.
Speaker 2: I just thought it was interesting.
Speaker 1: Nick Foles and Clay Matthews added to the Netflix crew. So their set is l Duncan, who hosts all the Netflix sports now, Michael Irvin's who's been with Netflix now like that, and Nick Foles and Clay Matthews like, okay, let's see it.
Speaker 3: I don't know, is this the same This is the same platform that Luke Keley's gonna be on.
Speaker 1: Right, Lukekley will be the game broadcast correct? Yeah, with no E loook and I think they're going to try to like make it the same group throughout. So we're gonna be watching. It's Australia, it's the second game of the season, it's a big game like Rams forty nine ers matters, and this is the crew.
Speaker 2: So I always like to keep an eye on the new broadcasting talent. Is Nick Foles gonna be inspiring? And see he was sometimes pretty good at at the podium. I could see him being okay, as.
Speaker 3: Long as we don't get a cameo from a random former player and a cross sport involvement like Jamis Winston pushing a hot dog cart at this season opener and Netflix's MLB coverage.
Speaker 1: Let's not do that, or Bert Kreischer like a comedian, and then we don't need We don't need that. We don't need a lot on Nick Foles's nickname either, some other nugs around camp. Derek Moore, who is the rookie edge for the Lions that they are counting on to really play a lot for them, is going to be out for about a week, maybe ten days with an injury. Brian Branch reportedly looking pretty good on the side field according to Colton Pouncy of the Athletic and some optimism that he could be back for Week one. The Dolphins tight end Greg Dolsch has been out for a little while, could be out next week, but just wanted to note that and then happy trails to Akello Weatherspoon, a former RAM last year and forty nine er before that who was placed on the reserve retired list. There's been a couple of these each day. There are a couple of players I'm not as familiar with, but just like guys who the gaming in them, no more so nice veteran career for a Keller Witherspoon. Let's wrap up by talking about these QB tears that are out from Mike Sando. I told you I wanted to just mention it at the end of the show right before we started, and there was something on there that just.
Speaker 2: Gave you, like the the what like just like you went, absolutely what what?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 2: That wasn't an invitations?
Speaker 5: What what it was?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 1: It was like the reaction that people have in the stills for the YouTube videos, which we need more of.
Speaker 2: Frankly, Eric, it's like, you know, it's like stuff like that. You can use that one. What was it, Chuck?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: What was it that made you do that?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: That's like outlined. It's like a heavy stroke in the outline there. Okay, So first off, shouts to the Athletics graphics team. You guys always do a fantastic job. And I thought this is a perfect way to visualize these tiers. So at the top of this article there is this pyramid style graphic in which Trick Mahomes is at the top and there's little subheads, little descriptions that explain why they land there. Yeah, and it said Patrick Mahomes is no longer a unanimous Tier one quarterback and I went, what, Yeah, really, there's a GM out there that believes that Patrick Mahomes what what is not a Tier one quarter.
Speaker 2: Or a coach. It's fifty.
Speaker 1: You know, it's a little misleading, like it's fifty votes. I guess he's probably a bunch of haters. Like it's literally one hater who thinks he's a Tier two quarterback. Look for this season alone, he was coming off at Torney Co. And we did our quarterbacks draft. I think we had him third or fourth, which felt disrespectful, but because of the injury, but overall, yeah, he it is a little crazy, but it's one guy that's a little crazy. It's you know, Josh Allen had two guys who did not think he was Tier one. Same thing with Matthew Stafford. Joe Burrow was the last guy in tier one. And that's where I was by far most surprised that Joe Burrow is a li locked in Tier one quarterback according to them. Okay, I'm fine with that forty six votes to four, and that Lamar Jackson is not twenty eight people put him in tier two. It's like they're like, I don't really live in a world where I put Joe Burrow ahead of Lamar Jackson in anything. Like you can't even say last year, where which was Lamar Jackson's worst year in a while, it was that big of difference because Joe Burrow wasn't healthy and Joe Burrow's very often not healthy, and so that is curious to me that Lamar got bumped down that far off of when he's not getting like the grace certainly that Mahomes gets and he shouldn't overall, but he did when you know, two out of the last three first team All Pros and nearly two out of the last three MVPs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, we're moving the goalpost here. The rubric has changing based on the quarterback that we're evaluating. Because if you want to complain about Lamar and maybe not finishing every season healthier playing all seventeen games, we can say the same exact thing about Joe Burrow. And yes, I think Joe Burrow is a better pastor than them Jackson, but overall talent, they both belong in the same category. I don't know why we would dispute it otherwise. Lamar went down. His voting average was one point five to six. It declined by nearly half of a tier for what what reason? Because this are we treating this like MVP voting? Well, oh, teams quarterback of the best team.
Speaker 2: He played through injury poorly.
Speaker 1: But again, like I'm not holding against Joe Burrow that when he started the season poorly coming off some of these offseason injuries, it's like, yeah, he's rounding into form, and yeah it was not the Lamar that you normally expect to see if he's not healthy. He was still fifth on the list, so I'm not going to go too crazy here. Probably the other surprise, I mean, Drake may is down in tier two. You gotta they gotta earn. He's got to earn, like his his love from the group. But yeah, you have him tied with Goff right below, Justin Herbert and Dak Prescott. Not how i'd see him, but I get that he has to earn it, and I do like that. The coaches and GM's in content is were pretty similar to how we finished. When we talked quarterbacks, I had Purty tenth and Jordan Love like eighth or ninth. Jordan Love ends up tenth, Purty ends up eleventh, tied with Caleb Williams, Jade and Daniels next at thirteen. That is all very similar. Where I disagreed the most was CJ. Stroud actually being way lower at twenty like but behind Bonicks, behind Baker Mayfield, who's up there at fourteen.
Speaker 2: I know it was a rough end to the year, behind Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 3: You're laughing, but come on, bro I managed to think, well, wait, hold on, this is something that I do weekly during the season. I have an entire spreadsheet for the week by week comparison. So I went to the end of last year.
Speaker 4: Nailed it. Bo Knicks was eighteenth on my list.
Speaker 3: CJ Stroud was twentieth on my Listkay last year at the end of last year. But that is one season that is not the overall reputation. But it does make me smile a little bit when a lot of these end up landing pretty close to where I had them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's one where I think it'll change. Like to me, he is absolutely at that level with a Baker Mayfield. And you know, Trevor Warren's not getting a lot of love, which I think was interesting that he still has to prove it down there at sixteen where the coaches in the GMS kind of want to see the consistency out of him, but pretty significantly below where Brock Purdy and Caleb Williams are, for instance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think they gave Jayden Daniels, and look, there's only been two seasons with Jaden Daniels. One was amazing, one was extremely forgettable and just a nightmare because of health issues. I think they gave him a little bit too much credit in placing him there.
Speaker 4: But that's projection. I think a lot of this is projection.
Speaker 3: But if we're going off of projection, I believe that Trevor Lawrence is going to climb in this ranking too. Sixteen makes sense because I was in that camp too, where it was like, I don't know, I don't think he's ever going to get to that level that the Jaguars are paying him to be at.
Speaker 4: And then I saw the second half.
Speaker 3: Of last season and I'm really excited to see if he can replicate that this year from the first week on with Liam Cohen an hear two. If that happens, he will climb and he will finally turn his reputation into something that's closer to the potential that he's always been given since he was a Clemson.
Speaker 1: Here's a thing, though, he is the last like solidly tier two quarterback. That second tier was massive, So they're putting him in the same tier as Herbert and lamar in Drake may As just like a big Tier two and Jalen Hurts is the definition of kind of the median of the NFL right now, stuck between Tier two and two, Tier three, twenty five votes for Tier two, twenty five votes for Tier three, and then the next you know, spots down as I mentioned were Bo Nicks Aaron Rodgers in CJ. Stroud absolutely outrageous and it calls the entire votes into question that one person put to Shaun Watson as a as a Tier two vote. One person also had Aaron Rodgers as a Tier one vote. Like It's why I like to point out sometimes like not everyone in the league I knows what they're talking about. There are plenty of coaches in GM that don't watch the other teams that I value your opinion and many other media's opinion much more than some of the people in the league, including the guy who gave Deshaun Watson a Tier two vote.
Speaker 4: Wow, you could.
Speaker 3: You could throw one hundred cards blindly at the dartboard and you'd still end up with a lower ranking than high the tier ranking that they that one person gave to Shaun Watson. I mean, my God, you're just not watching the game.
Speaker 1: Kyler Murray down there at twenty three. That feels about right right now. Daniel Jones at twenty. I thought it was interesting they sorted the class of twenty twenty five quarterbacks Dart cam Ward and Tyler Schuck in that order. I would probably have the reverse order, but they had them all extremely close, so ultimately it's those three guys. It's very interesting to track over time, like how they separate. You've separated yourself two shows in three days. Here Shook very excited about what's coming up in the Nick Shook world.
Speaker 2: And you've also got got a big column coming out next week. Is that right too? Or is that this week?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you're just going to see a lot of me with different columns. Okay, all next in the weeks ahead and Pro Football Hall game coverage. That'sday night, baby, Okay. I look forward to seeing what you write, what you say in Canton. Will be doing a live show after the Pro Football Hall of Fame. I know the game itself is not that big, it's not gonna be big takes from that, but we just thought it'd be fun to kick off the first primetime game of the Year with a live show on YouTube, So check out myself and Jordan rod.
Speaker 1: Reed for that show. But we got a couple shows before we even get to that. That's going to be at eight pm Eastern Thursday night. Before that, we are going to have an AFC South preview with a first time NFL Daily guest that is coming in your feed on Wednesday.
Speaker 2: We will see that