Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 3: Cowboys.
Speaker 4: This He's Talking Cowboys Spring live.
Speaker 2: From the Dallas Cowboys World Tours at the Star in Frisco, dot Tis any point touchdown and now your hosts Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez, and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 4: It's a wonderful Wednesday edition of Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, live from the Star in Frisco, Texas and the s WBC studios. Welcome in, everybody. We've got the whole cast and crew ready for you to rock. Patrick No, C Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Isaiah Standback, I'm Kyle Yeoman's Chris Beam in the back.
Speaker 3: Chris Beam. Do you have the sounder?
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 3: It's okay, that's fine, it's fine.
Speaker 1: I have one.
Speaker 4: What's the sounder that sounds like breaking news? Go ahead, it's rare. We rarely have breaking news off the top of the show in.
Speaker 5: The middle of the morning.
Speaker 3: We are developed nine AM podcast developing.
Speaker 1: It is developed development, breaking developing.
Speaker 4: Thank you for this is it though, I mean it's breaking comes to paper.
Speaker 3: What I'm about to say, is breaking developing.
Speaker 1: Development afterwards, it's breaking, but it's.
Speaker 5: Breaking right now that there's a lot of things in development developing.
Speaker 4: Jadavi Clowney is in the building. That is the breaking news.
Speaker 1: I like him.
Speaker 3: He is here. He is on a visit with the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 5: He just having breakfast her.
Speaker 3: No, he's having a workout.
Speaker 6: I thought it was no C. Honestly when I saw him originally, I was like, that looks like no C.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 1: He just hit the gym and grew You're a liar, but I love you. No, it's definitely been confirmed that Jadeveon Clunty is in the building. Yeah, so we'll see how that goes. He's here for a tryout slash workout with the Dallas Cowboys from a first round pick. Everyone knows Javeon Clowney very well. If you are even a remotely casual NFL fan, you know of Jadeveon Clowney and his contributions to his respective teams over the years. Free agent right now Cowboys obviously goes without saying they move on from Michael Parsons, get Kenny Clark in the building, but they want to see apparently a veteran a mercenary, if you will, if you will, if you will, a mercenary come in and help their young budding pass rush. So we will see if they can come to terms on a deal with Jadeveon Clowney. Right now, it's just a conversation and the workout and we'll see, we'll see. I mean, he's he's still got some tread left on those tires. I mean, he averaged I think five and a half, if almost six sacks between the last two. Actually between the last two he had five and a half a year prior. He had nine and a half the year prior. Oh better still yeah better, nine.
Speaker 6: And a half of Baltimore in seventeen games and four times and a half fourteen stone the Panthers. Yeah, so he still got some trail left on the tires, to say the least. And I mean, obviously I'm with it goes without saying. The reason I say developing is because again, if you know Jadavion Clowney, then you know that you have to pay today Yon Clowney. If you know the Dallas Cowboys, you know that typically that becomes a part of the talking.
Speaker 1: Points, right, So that's what I mean. It's it's definitely promising optimistic. I love the fact that in the Shattenhamany era they're going out and they're trying to resolve some things ahead of time. Last four seasons, twenty six sacks. Is that good? That's pretty good.
Speaker 5: Guy that's thirty two years old.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would take five and a half sacks. Ye, sign me up.
Speaker 1: If you get just take six on a one year deal.
Speaker 3: Sure you know, yeah, you give me four and a half sacks. I'll be fine.
Speaker 1: Give them three million dollars one year deal for six secs.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you'll get six acts? Getting which one? Which one get free? Goes back to what I was saying. This is why we said developed.
Speaker 3: I think it's more like.
Speaker 4: I think it's more that's a fun game. I think it's more likely that you would get him for three than.
Speaker 1: He would get six sacts.
Speaker 4: He's it's weak in the middle of the week for two of the NFL season.
Speaker 1: What do you think?
Speaker 4: And he's still sitting in our building having breakfast at the training table.
Speaker 3: He's not a hype.
Speaker 1: Nothing for a veteran at thirty, nothing for a veteran.
Speaker 6: It means, especially when their named David, we just talked about yesterday you want to make you want to make a show. Bet, We just talked about veterans that are available for that. Are that are mercenaries? Okay, guys that are available sitting at the crib, higher gun, higher higher hit man guys. Those guys typically aren't on rosters week one.
Speaker 5: Why they want to feel it out and and the rule.
Speaker 6: For a week two exactly, veteran veteran football players, if you're on your roster week one, your whole season is guaranteed in terms of your contract. That's why some of these guys, guys like him are sitting at the crib up until week two.
Speaker 3: So what would you think it would cost snag a guy.
Speaker 6: Like I think probably you got pay him probably five five?
Speaker 4: How about we how about we split the difference four and under, four and under five, four and above. You and I make a show bet right now? Hey, okay, four and under is my.
Speaker 3: Side, four and above is yours?
Speaker 1: Hot sauce, hot five sentims. What is that? Oh no, no, we're talking base.
Speaker 3: What goes to the salary cap?
Speaker 1: Base, not escalators?
Speaker 3: Three and a half base you're right there, Well.
Speaker 1: No, it's not the same thing.
Speaker 6: I'm talking about the potential Cowboys if they're able to put his deal off. If they if they are able to come to agreement, he shows up, he's able to have a good workout, they say, you know what, yay, let's move forward. There is going to be in you're dealing with the Dallas Cowboys, right, You're dealing with the Dallas Cowboys signing a veteran who's was a mercenary. Okay, it's going to be incentive heavy.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Performance, yea performance. So that being said, I'll stick with my three as the base and I'm still right there at one point two five incentives, so full point two five max.
Speaker 5: And if our incentives, I hope he makes them. And you're only making a position that already has like decent depth, arguably better, which is something that we haven't done in a while.
Speaker 1: Not decent depth with pass rushers.
Speaker 5: That's fair, that is, I think your ends have a decent depth. But like you said, for that specific role that he brings, correct, you don't have that player right now. Correct.
Speaker 1: But one thing, so, what do you know about Jadavian Clowney?
Speaker 6: Will you know that he's a he's a large human being who's well respected.
Speaker 1: He's not what he used to be.
Speaker 5: So he looks like myself.
Speaker 6: He's so he's he's tall, he was in great shape. Yeah, he's tall, he's lanky, he's a big body. But he's violent. And I don't care what year you want to I don't care what year you want to go point to, is he's violent at the point of it attack. He is going to pursue the quarterback with reckless abandonment. So like in terms of the energy and the culture that you're trying to create on this defensive front, he goes along with what you have out and and he adds a pass rush element.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 6: I think you have Marshaw Kneeland, who's really your He's a he's a two gap kind of guy, right, He's gonna push the pocket type of dude.
Speaker 1: He's not really a true pass rusher.
Speaker 6: You have Dante Fowler who's here to rush the passer, right, coming off his twelve and a half sacks from last year. Donovan Azeraka, you draft him to be your pass rusher, but we saw how light he was last week and kind of got thrown around a little bit. It's gonna take some time, right, So it's not to say he's not going to be have an impact, but it's gonna take him.
Speaker 1: Some time, right, Like, be realistic.
Speaker 6: You saw him versus ones last week, and as an ownership group and as a front office, you have to understand, Okay, let's give this young man some time. Let's not put so much pressure on him to be our guy right now. I oppose from Dante Fowler. So outside of those guys, you don't have a guy that you're like, yeah, that's my pass rusher in third down situation.
Speaker 1: So you need a guy that can go do that situational and he would be a great addition in that capacity. And I mentioned it a few minutes ago. I love the fact that you know, however you feel about the Michael Parson's trade, it's done. It's in the books there it is. But when you look at Schottenheimer, he's not and Will McLay, they're not resting on the laurels of what we know what Israku can be, we know what Sam Williams can be, we know what Marshaun Naland can be. They're saying that all of that's true, but it's also true that we're not going to wait around to find out that they can be the impact piece. We're gonna let the year progress and they're going to one of one or multiples of those guys are going to turn out to be impact guys before this year is over. But why not bring in the mercenary that's proven and still has trade left you Well?
Speaker 6: Also, best case scenario, right, you have these young guys that are you're giving them time to develop and they're hoping that you that they contribute in the way that you like them.
Speaker 1: To earlier then later. Right, But if the best.
Speaker 6: Case scenario is you bring in some veterans that are plug and play guys can execute your game plan that you're trying to get accomplished, and then if you're young guys come along faster than you were hoping. Now you have waves of defensive linemen and I keep going back to that, especially in this division, your defensive line, you need two waves of defensive alignment. You need d ends that you can come in in waves, and you need interior d linemen that you can have in waves waves. If you're able to do that in this division and in this game of football where the top teams are getting bigger and bigger and bigger, at the offensive line position, you have a chance.
Speaker 1: The Philadelphia Eagles are big upfront.
Speaker 6: If you want to talk about going the going to going outside the outside of the conference, the teams that you're gonna have to face if you're able to get to the big show, those guys are huge. Okay, if they're huge, why did KC struggle last year? Why did they struggle last week? Because they again pushed around up front? Right, the hardballs have figured it out like this is our this is our reperts woild We get big fellas up front that move people.
Speaker 1: Yep, whether it's Baltimore or whether that's that's the charger.
Speaker 6: So teams are realizing that the trenches is where it all starts and ends. And we can obviously sprinkle in our position. Guys, we still need your skill guys and guys that go make plays. But at the end of the day, we control the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 5: Let me just ask you guys with this really quickly. Jevin Clowney, he's a name that we all know. I don't think I think his name has a lot of pedigree behind it. I don't know that he's that player that a lot of people still think that he is. But my question is, does is this indicative to you guys of a difference in planning for the Dallas Cowboys. Do you think they're coming into this season with a different mindset that they have completely I haven't seen a move like this, particularly week two, signing a guy that you obviously need. I haven't seen this.
Speaker 1: Go back.
Speaker 6: I mean, we can go back into no Sea's repertoire, go back into the historic history books since Schunnenheimer has taken over, what moves have taken place here with the Dallas Capital.
Speaker 4: Trade for picking was a big one Murray right off the jump. Yeah, you signed s Kiril. Trade Murray, you trade for Kyrie Elam quite at you try, You trade Micah Parsons, which is an interesting deal. And then you turn around and Kenny Clark in return, who is incredible in his one game.
Speaker 1: This is this is this?
Speaker 5: This is a Schottenheimer two twenty five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, interesting it is.
Speaker 4: It's a different mindset, okay, and I think I think it adds to the little bit to the formation of twenty twenty five. Was not what the Micah Parsons trade was for, But oh goodness, Kenny Clark comes in and when he's on the field, the Cowboys allow two point seven yards per carry. When he's off the field, it's six point six yards per carry.
Speaker 3: In that first matchup. It is some science.
Speaker 4: It'll be on big flat, Big Facts later in the day as well. So when you talk about, yes, Kenny Clark showed up, and it's like, oh, we have a legitimate defensive tackle. We just got to finish the pass rush, and all of a sudden, our defensive line is still nasty even without Michael Parsons. And I think that's the realization that's happening here is, Hey, the defensive tackle room is much better than it was. Oh so Niggy Zoo one week one fourth highest pressure rate out of all defensive tackles.
Speaker 3: In the National Football League.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 4: Then you have Kenny Clark right there. Then you had Solomon Thomas who did some great things. You didn't even have Mazzie Smith active, and you can put him in the fold. Now that Perry On Winfrey's not in the fold and he's on IR for four weeks, so you have depth at that room officially because of Kenny Clark and what he's done.
Speaker 3: Then you bring in a Jadevian Clowney.
Speaker 4: Add that to the depth that you already have at the dresser spot, and hope somebody, whether it's Clowney or somebody else that's on the field, can finish and tackle the quarterback and sack the quarterback. Then all of a sudden, I think we're looking at this defensive line in an entirely new mind.
Speaker 1: So let me add some more signs to the Clowney, to the Clowney situation, and it's more proof that Clowney very much still has tred left on his tires, even at thirty two years old, let's say thirty one. Last year, I just randomly went to next Gen Stats. Shout out to next Gen Stats. I chose a random game for Jadeveon Clowney for the Panthers. Just a random game, any old game, any old game. Average get off in this particular game, this was against the Cincinnati Bengals and Trey Hendrickson. Okay, against that that team, zero point seven to six average get off that game, zero point seven six seconds. Is ridiculous in and of it. This was a guy was thirty one years old, and if you want perspective for that, Michael Parsons get off in the Peckers debut was like zero point seventy nine, So slower Jadeveon Clowney at thirty one, interesting had at least one game in which he was faster off the ball than Michael Parson's approaching peak levels.
Speaker 3: There's something left there, There's some.
Speaker 1: Bit, a little bit, a little.
Speaker 5: Bit, and if he's in a rotation that warrants him being fresh all game long. Yeah, I like it.
Speaker 3: Was there any injury concerned with him last year.
Speaker 1: That you got? He started fourteen games last year. Yeah, So.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean a lot of times if they bring in a guy and he's eating breakfast.
Speaker 1: From last year seventeen the year, there's.
Speaker 4: There's going to be some level of interest there. On the Cowboys side of things, I like it.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 4: I think it's an over the top move, No, but exactly how I just out it's another thing you can add to the to the list of moves you've already made.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, And I don't think they're done. I don't think they're I think shouldn't be. Like I said, I think this is indicative of a change of operation for the Dallas Cowboys, and how they're willing to operate now going forward. No, I feel you, Isaiah, We're not done.
Speaker 1: How do you feel him?
Speaker 5: I feel?
Speaker 1: Do you feel? I love? How you feel?
Speaker 4: Gentleman named Trell in the comments is clowning the guy Isaiah was talking about.
Speaker 3: We get that.
Speaker 5: But I'll take them.
Speaker 1: But I'll take them. They'll see what happened. No, I won't. I like it that he was potentially keep the man? Okay?
Speaker 3: One of those?
Speaker 5: All right, Isaiah, my how forward of you.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the show, sir, my.
Speaker 4: Friends. That's the one lostros spot that's open now.
Speaker 1: The Cowboys, yes, potential, potentially want to open.
Speaker 4: We'll see whether or not something develops out of that story. But Jadavian Clowney in the building today for a meeting with the cowboys.
Speaker 1: APO. Oh you guys are the same size? Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Easy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I don't know about that one.
Speaker 4: All right, News and notes, Patrick, anything else to stick out?
Speaker 3: Cowboys were off thatterday news.
Speaker 1: That was the news. Yeah, No, cowboys were off yesterday. No transactions that are of note. They they waved injured Christian Matthews defensive back. They brought in lad in training camp. Didn't have much of an impact, wasn't able to practice much dealt with some injuries, and now he's been sent a free agency with an injury settlement. And just outside the building, for those that were wondering, two former Cowboys, two former Cowboys draft picks found a home. We talk about the Panthers and jenevon Clowny potentially arriving from the Panthers. Well, the Panthers did sign Israel Mukwamu to their practice squad and Deuce Fawn with due Lands with Sean Payton, Buddyron huge for him. Guess who else is on the staff with Sean Payton, Darren Sprolls. I was about to say Sprolls, Wow, so that might be the perfect first star.
Speaker 5: That's awesome, a fortuitous arrangement.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 6: That's freaking awesome, dude. I love that for Duce. I love that for him.
Speaker 1: So two guys who deserved a first start somewhere they got it is gumble and we didn't get a successful career. Man. I just I just he just needed the system, he needed Sean Payton and Darren Sproull.
Speaker 4: Remember Sprolls, there was so much a comparison, There was so much a smaller running back guy with a similar skill set coming after Kansas State, strong built back.
Speaker 3: He took like three years or four years to find his groove.
Speaker 4: That's part of why I think Dallas was so reluctant, apart with the everybody Vaughn conversation.
Speaker 3: But they love to Douce.
Speaker 4: They loved who he was as a person, as a work worker, work ethic, all of those.
Speaker 3: Things check the box. I agree with you. I think there just needs to be a spot for dudes.
Speaker 5: They need to have him sort of premeditated in using him in the offense. They need to have a plan for him, and I don't think either. McCarthy definitely did not have that in mind. And I just don't think as we've gone along bringing in new running backs, I don't think that was the system that will fit you suited him best.
Speaker 1: Your point, who better to know what to do is awesome with bone than Darren Sproll?
Speaker 6: How cool is that for him to have him even as a mentor, that that's the gold standard, Like like who are you in the NFL? Well, there was one guy that was like me, who is that guy?
Speaker 1: Oh he's my coach, He's awesome, he's your coach in your head, coach kind of knows how to core with running backs who can operate him.
Speaker 5: Genuinely happy for the guy. I know, I know we're talking about the Broncos right now.
Speaker 1: But Broncos as much as we're talking about a cowboy as a cowboy. Yeah, and I'm not we will Cumble. I was still the shocking one of not shocking. It was surprising. It was surprising that he didn't make the fifty three. I'm not gonna say shocked, but I was surprised.
Speaker 4: Remember Sean Payton, did coach Darren Sprolls too? New Orleans boom boomed in around this question.
Speaker 1: Answer.
Speaker 6: The Matthews settlement was he wasn't on active, He wasn't on fifty three?
Speaker 1: Was he?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, no, he started on reserve.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that didn't count as a spot.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 4: When we come back, it's time to turn the page to Week two of the NFL season, the Cowboys taking on the New York Giants Sunday noon kickoff on Fox.
Speaker 3: Because it's Wednesday if you're new to talking Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Every Wednesday, we preview the Dallas defense taking on the opponent's offense. So we'll break down This Matt Eberflus defense for the Cowboys taking on Russell Wilson and the Giants offense Matt Naghbors and company. Isaiah's got his techno bull shirt on. It's got that touchdown Cowboys? Is that Who is that underneath?
Speaker 3: Is it Michael Irvin? It's Mike, Mike.
Speaker 1: It's Mike.
Speaker 3: Mike's on the shirt.
Speaker 4: We'll talk about the defense when we come back with more talking Cowboys right after this.
Speaker 1: Did you want that?
Speaker 7: Every day begins with a promise, a promise to work hard and to build a future. That's why we're here providing the tools, expertise and John Deere equipment you have relied on for generations to help you get the job done right.
Speaker 2: We're with you.
Speaker 7: That's our promise to you, because no matter the project or the challenge you're facing.
Speaker 1: Where with you? Where are you noted?
Speaker 4: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some black Rifle coffee.
Speaker 1: How's it going?
Speaker 3: You see that Cowboys game?
Speaker 2: Oh? I watched.
Speaker 1: I've been seeing some good things totally. They have some talent. You have some great talents, and.
Speaker 3: They got some fight hoping. This is the year me too.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm Cody.
Speaker 3: By the way, I'm Travis.
Speaker 1: Nice to meet you. Travis. Go Cowboys Go.
Speaker 6: Cowboys make a new friend based solely on their shirt choice.
Speaker 3: What would you like the power to do?
Speaker 1: Bank of America the official bank of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 5: Copyright twenty twenty five. Bank of America Corporation. I'm home, Hey.
Speaker 8: Mom, Before you ask, I've done my homework and the dishwashers unloading.
Speaker 1: Nice. Hey can you hey? Hon?
Speaker 3: Yes, I've got the finale ready to play.
Speaker 1: Here's your wine. Wow.
Speaker 5: Isn't it nice not having to ask? We think so.
Speaker 8: That's why if there's a network interruption at and T will proactively credit you for a full day of service. Guarantee credit for fib or downtime lasting twenty minutes or more, or for wireless downtime lasting sixty minutes and more caused by a single incident Pact to ten more towers. Restrictions and exclusions apply at dot com slash Guarantee for.
Speaker 4: Details to Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Back here on Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 4: This segment has brought to you by in visil Line, the official smile.
Speaker 3: Of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: I didn't give the comment of the day yesterday, and I'm disappointed because.
Speaker 3: It was a really good one.
Speaker 4: It was saved eight Canalis on the YouTube channel said it took PTO just to watch the show live and still miss thirty nine minutes of it. It's kind of funny how life works on you sometimes.
Speaker 3: But appreciate you taking PTO. And I don't know if he's watching live today because he.
Speaker 4: Took PTO yesterday. But hey, if you're watching after the fact, thanks for watching, Thanks for loving on the showing on the podcast.
Speaker 5: If you're gonna take PTO to watch the show, it needs to be a say with your just Friday, I think, hmmm, I feel very confident in saying that.
Speaker 3: Week Huh is that your favorite day of the week.
Speaker 5: It's my favorite episode of the week.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, Unless he was planning to get on the phone, he missed the opportunity of mine is talking Talking Tuesday.
Speaker 3: I love Talking Tuesday. All the days have their different.
Speaker 4: And I teased it in the last segment, but there is a there's a formula to this whole thing.
Speaker 3: Tuesday is talking Tuesday, QB visions.
Speaker 4: Monday, you have Monday's the reaction day of course after the game.
Speaker 1: For the most part.
Speaker 4: Of course, this is all thrown off if we play on Monday or Thursday, but Tuesday's usually talking Tuesday. Wednesday we preview the Dallas defense versus the opponent's offense. Thursday you flip it Dallas offense versus the opponent defense, and we have the QB vision segment in segment two is usually how we kind of roll with that and then say it with your chest. Friday is a hodgepodge of whatever the biggest storyline, biggest topic, biggest pressing need. We'll play some games, we'll have some fun, and.
Speaker 3: We'll say it with our chest.
Speaker 5: I love it.
Speaker 3: They all have their own little appeal to me.
Speaker 1: I just want to thank you for using the word hodgepodge. I don't think. I don't think it's utilized enough just in life in general.
Speaker 5: That's also an excellent rundown for anybody that's new to Talking Cowboys, you know, Yeah, because like you imagine, there are we of course, we have our people are faithfuls that have been here for a long time, myself included. I've been listening to to Talking Cowboys for years. But then you have people that are probably just now like figuring out, like, oh wait that there's the Dallas Cowys doing nine shows a day.
Speaker 4: To check these out, and it gives us some level of rhyme and reason to keep a consistency.
Speaker 3: Throughout the year.
Speaker 4: We're gonna have different topics of conversation, uh, but at least kind of the structure of it all.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Wednesday's breaking news day. We'll always have breaking news for.
Speaker 4: You right here off the top of the show, I guaranteed all right. Cowboys defense taking on Russell Wilson and the Giants offense coach Schottenheimer was asked about it the other day because of his relationship with Russell Wilson during their time in Seattle.
Speaker 3: What does he do best?
Speaker 4: He said, He's one of the best deep ball throwers he's ever been around.
Speaker 3: Can he still do that? Yes, you think so?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 3: So what about with the.
Speaker 4: Weapons that he has around them, Guys like Mylik Neighbors starting to become one of the elite receivers in the NFL.
Speaker 3: Yep, you think he can do it there in New York.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the Giants have the skill position weapons in terms of the receivers. There's no question about that. Their receiving corps is respectable. To me, you started talking about Molik Neighbors is a He's a dude. You go back and watch his game from last week. He was routing people up his route. His routes are nasty and they're very very discreet, like his nods and the way he stems his routes. Likes there's not a lot of indications, not a lot of indicators for the opposing defense and secondary to kind of tip your hat as to what route he's about to run like. He's very good at running routes. Darius Slay's respected Wandale Robinson I think is one of the more underrated receivers in the league. I think he does a good job running routes in terms of Russell Wilson, Russell Wilson didn't have a shot last week. Everybody's coming after him and saying, you know, put in Jackson dark and I know Jackson Dart had a great preseason and all that jazz. But Russell Wilson, if you go back and watch the film, Russell Wilson, the balls that he had time to throw was still accurate. Russell Wilson still had the velocity. Russell Wilson still put the ball on the money. Majority of that game. The defensive line of the Washington Commanders literally held up the face of the Giants offensive line and slapped them all day long. The left tackle needs to go go see the priest and talk and everything else because he, oh my goodness, he was so bad you're talking about.
Speaker 3: It's not Thomas, right Tom.
Speaker 1: They're trying to get him back right now, Hudson or something like that, James Hudgs.
Speaker 6: Listen, the offensive line is bad. They're they're rushing, they're running. Attack is bad. Their past level is very vertical. They're not getting any pushed. There's pretty much a stalemate at the line of scrimmage. If not getting pushed backwards, they're not getting to the second level.
Speaker 1: They're past blocking is abysmal. It is really bad.
Speaker 6: They're timing seemingly as all off. The tight ends can't block, the tackles can't block. I mean, Russell Wilson just had zero time. But when you look at the routes, the routes were there. Conceptually what they're trying to do offensively. When they're spread out, I like their routes. I like their concepts. When they're in condensed sets, I think it gets very convoluted for them. They try to run some stuff down in the red zone with condensed splits. They try to run little bunch sets, things that are close to the tackle box, and the spacing is just not there at the routes. The routes are on top of each other and defenders are all in the area of the receiver. So I think they're condensed sets. Though they liked to try to get to those, I think they don't. They don't have it figured out yet in terms of spacing and timing. But when they're spread out, those guys, yeah, they're they're getting to day Bowl system and those guys are getting open. But Russell Wilson had did not have the time last week he did not.
Speaker 5: And in terms of that, I mean, obviously Russell Wilson can still cook. I genuinely believe that he doesn't have any time to throw the ball, and even what he does, he doesn't have enough confidence in his offensive line too stand in the pocket because he feels the pressure coming when it's not even there. He expects ghost. It's crazy.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 5: Their defense, the rushing defense thirtieth in the league last year, doesn't look to have improved by any stretch. They had thirteen plays in the red zone, eleven of which were inside the ten yard line, led to three points.
Speaker 1: It was bad.
Speaker 5: That is really bad. And when you have a first and goal from the one yard line and your first play Brian day ball, your first play is a gimmick trick play to your back up right tackle, that is a problem. That is indicative. That is saying I don't trust my offensive line to get me one yard in four tries.
Speaker 1: Wow, Listen, Russell didn't have time on that one.
Speaker 3: And we're talking about what do you need on to make that appro You need time.
Speaker 1: And we're speaking generally as far as saying Russell Wilson didn't have time, And I know a lot of fans. They hear that and they say, okay, well what does that mean. Let me tell you what that means. The Giants' offensive line on forty five pass blocks, forty five dropbacks, they allowed twenty eight pressures. That's insanity. More than half the time that Russ dropped back is that sixty percent? Yes, he was under duress, which is to Josh's point why he started feeling ghosts even when they weren't there. He went full of Sam Donald. Okay, so that bodes exceptionally well for the Cowboys, especially if Andrew Thomas can't come back for week two. Because you mentioned James Hudson. You guys mentioned James Hudson. He was accountable for nine of those quarterback pressures. Nine. There was some series whereas back to back, Yeah, back to back play And credit to Russ given that he was pressured twenty eight times, only allowed two sacks, only sacked twice. He was running for his life. But in running for his life, he couldn't set his feet. He couldn't get the accuracy level that he wanted had he been able to set his feet. So I mean, this is a game where with or without Jadeveon Clowney specifically with but whether without Jaevion Clowney. This is a team and the Cowboys who came off of a great pressure rate against the Philadelphia Eagles. They didn't get home but.
Speaker 5: Once, and that's the thing they can get.
Speaker 6: I do have one concern because I'm not rid of we're laying this out as if Dallas is about to just run through some hot dogs.
Speaker 2: Work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they still have a lot to work on, and I think I do.
Speaker 6: Believe that it's an opportunity for these young d ns to work on their pass rushing, maybe.
Speaker 3: Clown or without. Maybe that's why he's in the building.
Speaker 1: Well, last last you'll played the Giants. Let's think about it. Last week.
Speaker 6: The first half, I'm pretty sure the D line was instructed to two gap and try to contain Jalen Hurts. They weren't pass rushing the second half. You saw Dante Fowler started. You remember me in the middle of the game, I was like, why are these guys not rushing the pastor like they're running right down the middle of these guys are not picking a shoulder when you were.
Speaker 4: Mad at how much he pinched into and you go back and watch on the film watching it live, it was bad watching it on the film. He's being pushed inside almost every was frustrating, right your pastor it was a rough week one. If you're a pass rusher and you're being told to not pass rush, like instinctively you're gonna be like, let me get to this quarterback and then you go to do that and you're like, crap, I'm not doing my assignment right and you get screwed. So but in the second half you started seeing Dante Foller especially and Donovan Azeraku, they were being allowed to do their pass rush and they started picking one side of the tackle instead of going down the middle of the tackle, and they started getting some pressure. So it's not as if Dallas can't rush the pass or it's just I believe they were in being instructed not to be a focal point there. But I m bringing that up because the times that Russell Wilson was able to have some time and was able to pick apart the defense a little bit was when the Washington Commanders were playing zone. When Washington Commanders were playing zone and the and the New York Giants were not in condensed sets, Russell Wilson, he was decisive he was quick, the ball was out of his hands. You knew, you can tell confidence that he understood what the zone was where the ball was supposed to go with that particular concept and it was old school russ right, just boom, see the ball, dump the ball. Let's walk with confidence is get back to that line of scrimmage. The Washington Commanders played a lot of mando man defense a lot because they had confidence and their ability to get home at the defensive front. Last week, Dallas didn't show hardly any man to man if at all.
Speaker 1: I have to go back and let's see.
Speaker 6: So I am interested to see if Matt Eberflus in acts Manda man defense, because we did not see that last week, and that was partially scheme.
Speaker 5: What you simply can go one v one and win this game. Yes, they don't have the personnel to beat you in that if you're just going man to man like I said, or like you said, if you're incorporating more of a blitz package with Eberflus, which you can do, want to disrupt them early and often. I think that's a great idea. I think if you incorporate the blitz very early on, you're going to have success.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I want to know what this secondary get the matter in man, we don't know. We don't know how healthy Trayvon Diggs is and his ability to garden man. We don't know how confident Darron Bland is and his ability to garden man. We don't know Kyrie Elam in a game situation. And now we don't know. We saw them in zone last week and they were very, very effective. That's what I was going to but I want to see it in man. That's what I was going to point.
Speaker 1: At, because I understand the concern or the intrigue for you seeing Russ having some success against the zone that was run by the Commanders. We said this coming out of the Giants game, not the Giants game, I'm sorry, the Eagles game. Wherein now we know that the Cowboys secondary can play an elite at elite, an elite level in zone versus multiple actual weapons A J Brown, devonte' smill, super Bowl champion, right right, those three guys plus Jalen Hurts throwing the ball and it got her and got her. Right. So when you look at the Commanders, they don't have that that artillery the Giants. Oh, when you look at the Giants. They don't have that artillery, right, they have elite neighbors three Swandale Robinson. Can he can play some ball? Yes? Again, but is he Devontae Smith.
Speaker 3: It's not the same.
Speaker 1: Though it's same, it's not. They don't have the same caliber weapon that tight end either. So if you're going to switch to man for this game, because you believe that Trayvon Diggs and Jerry Jones said it on one five three the Fan, he believes that Trayvon Diggs is capable of being fully unleashed. Now, okay, if that's the case, you're talking man coverage with Trayvon Kyeir and then Deron. Again, the Giants don't have the personnel to match up against that, and then combine that with the fact that the offensive line for New York simply cannot stop a running nose, right, So the pressure is going to be there. So this is a perfect game to be able to be a man because it's short in the coverage windows.
Speaker 3: Can I add some numbers to this conversation.
Speaker 1: I like numbers.
Speaker 3: There are some.
Speaker 4: These are good numbers too. Cowboys utilized in twenty twenty four. So this is last different coordinator keep that in mind, they still utilized more than eighty percent of opposing dropbacks in zone coverage. They were in zone coverage for more than eighty percent of the time all the way throughout twenty twenty four in that spot, and they had all in every game they had more than fifty percent in zone coverage except for one game, and that was Week eleven against the Texans, who have some weapons in their own right. Last week you talked about it, you said they used a lot of zone.
Speaker 3: You didn't see any man. It's because they didn't play man.
Speaker 4: The Cowboys deployed zone coverage in every single one of the thirty three Jalen Hurts dropbacks in their Week one loss to the Eagles, only the second team to do so in a game since it started the twenty twenty four season. The Bills did it in Week thirteen last year, and that was the only other time that a team in the entire NFL has only used zone.
Speaker 3: And I get it, it was a matchup thing.
Speaker 4: You're going to see it because of the way that the Philadelphia Eagles run their offense and the way that they have the weapons on the outside. I don't know if even with the matchup against the Giants, We're still going to see a whole lot of man just because traditionally, this group, this personnel package used zone last year.
Speaker 3: They've only used zone this year. Why change it going into it?
Speaker 4: But it would because and the reason why, I guess is because Russell Wilson knows how to read his own and he can pick it apart.
Speaker 1: That's one.
Speaker 3: But at the same time, I don't think it's going to be a huge discription.
Speaker 1: I do think this will be I was going to say, I think this is We're right here. I think this is going to be a huge test of will Matt Eberflus quite literally tailor his game plan on a week week basis question which you might and that that I'm right there with Isaiah on that particular point because I see the numbers. I understand that was zimmer last year, that was Dan Quinnen in years prior to Zimber. We don't know what Eberflus looks like. What we just saw was eber Flus. Look at how vig Fangio uh not found you, but how the Eagles just how they were able to take advantage of the Cowboys with their personnel set right, their offensive personnel sit. A lot of that was against man coverage. Eberflu said, the hell with that, what would you what would you rather have?
Speaker 6: Would you rather have a decoordinator and Matt Eberflus that changes from week to week basically as opponent, or would you rather have them have this base defenses.
Speaker 5: Like tr Eflues. That is that is what has killed us so much in the past. I want someone that is malleable, that is able to look at the guys across from you and say, well, that's not going to work this week. We need to change things up. And it's something that we I mean he even did in the second half last week, change it up. It wasn't working in the first half. You weren't able to contain Jalen Hurts, wasn't able to get pressure, No, not at all. So immediately came and started and bringing pressure. And then and halftime grinded was the long halftime, and then you had the delay and everything. But the defense played much better. They held them in the second half, and they contained Jalen Hurts for as much as they could in that second half and squon I mean it was crazy. I mean I want that. I want someone that is malleable, and.
Speaker 1: It also makes it very difficult for the opponent you have coming Nope next week to be able to settle in and say, well, they have these tendencies. Well, if your tendency is to adapt every single week.
Speaker 5: What are you giving the namecy?
Speaker 1: What is your tendency?
Speaker 4: Here's the numbers from Eberflus last year prior to being fired by Chicago, and he was the defensive play callers, so keep that in mind. Bears defense played zone coverage on seventy eight percent of opposing dropbacks that last season, the ninth highest rate in the NFL. Only the Cowboys and Seahawks have allowed a lower passing success rate when playing zone coverage than the Bears this season, and that was.
Speaker 1: In twenty four. Okay, so he's still like zone.
Speaker 4: He's going to play a lot of it, but it's not one specific type of zone. It's different types of Yeah, it's gonna makes imagine disguise and throw different wrinkles into the whole thing. It'll be interesting to see if they utilize any kind of man going into.
Speaker 1: This, which is it. It's awesome if you have a pass.
Speaker 6: Rush, Yeah, yeah, zone zone defense when guys can play zone and understand zone and play with each play you know, to each other's.
Speaker 1: What's the word? I'm looking for strengths.
Speaker 6: Strengths right, and you're okay passing off zones like, hey, this is my area. I'm passing it off to you. Now, Kyle, you're passing off the path, passing it off.
Speaker 1: Just go.
Speaker 6: When you can do that, it's awesome because it makes it very difficult to find passing lanes if somebody's always coming into a zone when you're running a route. If you can have a pass rush with that, it makes it almost impossible for opposing offenses to have success throw on the ball, which is why when you start seeing people come in the building, you need somebody to go get the quarterback.
Speaker 1: And I know people in the chat are gonna be like, well, you let wanted some the best guy in the league out the building, understand, But what can you do with that?
Speaker 6: Like we always said, that's a great move if you use the space, if you use the picks to go out there and make your team better across the board. If they can Dallas Cowboys can elicit a pass rush without the necessity to blitz while running zone collectively and getting better every week at their zone coverage, it is going to be difficult for opposing offense to throw the ball.
Speaker 4: That's how the passing game looks going into this week two matchup. When we come back, we got to talk about the run defense and how they may fare against Russell Wilson.
Speaker 1: The Dunna ball.
Speaker 4: SE's still mobile enough to run the football when we come back right after this.
Speaker 1: But Kenny Klore, I'm home.
Speaker 7: Hey, Mom, before you ask, I've done my homework and the dishwashers unloading.
Speaker 1: Nice? Hey can you ahn?
Speaker 3: Yes, I've got the finale ready to play.
Speaker 1: Here's your wine? Wow?
Speaker 5: Isn't it nice not having to ask?
Speaker 1: We think so.
Speaker 8: That's why if there's a network interruption, at and T will proactively credit you for a full day of service guarantee credit for fiber downtime lasting twenty minutes and more, or for wireless downtime lasting sixty minutes and more caused by a single incident impact in ten.
Speaker 1: Of war towers.
Speaker 8: The strictions exclusions apply. See at dot com slash guarantee for details.
Speaker 4: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee isle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag, box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle coffee today.
Speaker 9: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of Doctor Pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller, would you.
Speaker 4: Dear Doctor? My friend supported me during a tough time.
Speaker 6: But what's the right gift that says thanks for being a soldier.
Speaker 2: To cry on?
Speaker 9: Okay, this one's easy, I say, give her a delicious Doctor Pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do. Now, just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 4: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and Right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is full of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP to Talking Cowboys back here on Talking Cowboys. The search is on for the twenty twenty five Fan of the Year, presented by Captain Morgan. Now through September twenty ninth. Nominate extraordinary NFL fans, dynamic duos and game changers who rep the Cowboys with pride turn every game day into an unforgettable adventure. You could be sent to Super Bowl sixty. Enter to win NFL dot com Slash Fan of the Year.
Speaker 1: Have you ever had Captain Morgan before?
Speaker 3: Don't ask me questions you don't want the answer to.
Speaker 1: Do you drink it your leg doing the Morgan stance system? Yeah?
Speaker 3: All every time?
Speaker 1: Every time?
Speaker 3: Yeah, eth you have stop right here, right here, Ask me if I've had it within the last twenty four hours.
Speaker 1: I would never do that to you.
Speaker 3: I would never because I've got talking cowboys.
Speaker 1: Are you potting under the influence Thursday football?
Speaker 5: So that's black and raffle coffy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is black rifle, double cup and double cu cow what they call, right, Patrick knows you Walker? Yes, Isaiah stand back Christ being in the back of Kyle Yellman's Patrick, you know what time it is.
Speaker 1: It is time for Yes Science Science, Yes, sir, the first edition of lab Coat of the twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: That's lab coat with a cave with a K, no scenes with a K.
Speaker 1: Right. So, since we're talking about Cowboys run defense versus the versus the Giants attempt to run the ball in this coming Sunday's matchup, you should attempt attempt because that's that's what they're going to do. I'm going to draw circle around Kenny Clark.
Speaker 5: Oh, he's pretty good.
Speaker 1: It's pretty good. Uh. He acquitted himself exceptionally well in his Cowboys debut against the Eagles.
Speaker 5: But no, no, no, no, that was against Saquon Barkley.
Speaker 3: It was all works.
Speaker 5: You can't tell me, he was.
Speaker 1: I can, I will. I just did the starting O line for Philadelphia. That is correct, that's him, okay, And now he's going against a Giants offensive line and that's not an attack. That simply is not what he went against against the Eagles. But we talked about Javeon Clowney's get off. It's insane in the upper you know, point zero seven. But Kenny Clark point I'm sorry, zero point eight nine seconds last week against the Eagles. And if you want context on that, a lot of fans asked me on Twitter, Well, contextually, what does that put him against some of the best defensive tackles in the game last week? Well, Chris Jones was zero point eight seven. Thank you, Lawrence. He's pretty good. He's coming to town. One point eight seconds. Quinn Williams with the New York He's pretty good. He's one point one nine seconds. The big fellas, Yes, the only five players on the Cowboys roster had a quicker get off last week against the Eagles. Then did Kenny Clark. And all five of them are defensive ends. You have a nose tackle, not a three tech.
Speaker 5: No, I don't know. A big fellow, A big.
Speaker 1: Fellow getting off the ball faster than a lot of defensive ends in the league. That's what the Giants are going to be up against between him Osa, Solomon and Osa and Sally.
Speaker 5: Shut the big.
Speaker 1: What was Solomon Thomas's get off?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: I got you, I got you? He was thrown. You know what's crazy is is you would look at my eyes to see me. They they do not toceive you. Let's see where it's at. That was science. By the way, If you guys didn't pick up what you know he was putting.
Speaker 5: Looks like from a street fighter b.
Speaker 6: They just they just cast.
Speaker 1: Did you see that? It's a goott Yeah, that they're casting of questions that I didn't get in that one. You could have did you very well could have? My friend, why did you not? I mean you've done w w E. Why are you not doing?
Speaker 6: Why are you not an action here? You never know what I'm getting into next, he never knows. I think you need to I need you need to put it out man might dabble. I think you need to put it out there. If we're being completely honest to answer your question. Solomon Thomas was one point one eight seconds right there alongside Quentinn Williams also was zero point nine eight seconds and those guys were still eating well with that get off. And then compare that to what Kenny again, Kenny Clark's getting off of the ball like a defensive end actually faster, quicker is a better word, quicker than a lot of defenses.
Speaker 5: And then next to him in rotation is Zangeief from street fighters and Solomon Thomas.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, let's.
Speaker 5: Check it out. There is.
Speaker 1: Fight. So yeah, Cowboys run defense has a chance to really do something special and good looking against the Giants offense who simply could.
Speaker 6: Not run the ball at all. Twenty three for seventy four Yeah, ungreat, very ungreat.
Speaker 3: Twenty three carries for seventy four.
Speaker 1: Yards, very ungreat. Not ideal.
Speaker 3: Well, not just that the Commanders having a good interior.
Speaker 1: But in perspective forty four of those rushing yards with Russ that's true.
Speaker 4: Okay, So man, that brings up my next question of yeah, the mobile quarterback week two in a row, he can still run it. Does that present some level of concern just because of what you saw from Dallas in week one?
Speaker 5: If you had the same game plan as last week where you're just worried about your linebackers managing the current linebacker situation, Jack sam Bourne, if and Kenneth Murray closing in on Russell Wilson, I think you will be absolutely fine.
Speaker 4: It's a little easier to close in on thirty plus year old Russell Wilson than it is Jalen Hurts right now, well a little bit.
Speaker 1: If you take him I know, Jim, I don't know. I know that I do know, Jim.
Speaker 6: If you take out Russell Wilson's eight attempts for forty four yards, which were on broken place because they don't script Russell Wilson to run the ball, then between Tracy Singletary and Scottiboo they collectively had fifteen attempts for thirty yards.
Speaker 5: But okay, that's not good. But don't let Schttaboo get going.
Speaker 1: Man, he's physical. I'm not worried about him running around. You just better have more than one person. You know what I do like And you're right, Skatabool is very physical, especially if you ever watched any of his collegiate tape State Reef my friend, good grief. That being said, I have to say I like this level of physicality I'm seeing from just Shottenheimer's team, and of course that permeates. We'll talk about the offense as well, the offensive line for the Cowboys, but defensive line again, Kenny Clark and Osen Sally that interior is just nasty, Like they play nasty. You know who else if you can get them on a contract and not let.
Speaker 6: Them shout out quick shout out to shout out to Aaron Whitecotton. Yeah, yeah, Like, we cannot blow by the fact that these position coaches are going to have a tremendous impact on the identity of these position groups and the culture of this team. Like people talk about we talk about players all day long, and we talk about the head coach or even the coordinators. Right oftentimes, the position coaches spend more time with these guys than anybody else on the staff.
Speaker 2: YEP.
Speaker 6: So when you see players start having success, when you start seeing position groups start to take on a different identity, it's not by chance. It's not by chance. So we're giving a lot of kudos to how this defensive front played last week. It's not that these guys are just like, Okay, yeah, you know what I'm saying. Kenny Clark comes in here, or everybody's just following Osa's like, no, this is a requirement if you're playing for Aaron Whitecotton, who was the best, the best D line coach in football last year. That's what everybody called him coming over from from the Jets. He brought a certain mentality and a certain standard with him when he came to the Dallas Cowboys, and everybody is embodying who he is. Everybody is demanded that they put out a certain effort, that they get off the ball, that they play with a certain violence like this is mandated by the position group. Coach and I under people need to understand that that is not by chance.
Speaker 1: And the Jets missed Aaron Whitecotton last week.
Speaker 4: They definitely did. And it throws me all the way back to training camp. As we wrap up the show, here throws me all the way back to training camp. There was a miked up segment with Brian Schottenheimer. One of the conversations he had was with coach Whitecott and he said, man, there media is playing you, playing you up. They love you, they love what they've seen so far. And this was middle through, midway through training He said, we haven't played anybody yet. There's no reason to build me up yet. I love that mentality. By the way he said, they haven't played anybody yet. You know what they played somebody. They look pretty good, and I think there's one step in the right direction, and we'll see what White Cotton can continue doing as we go along here in this.
Speaker 3: Twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: We're not clowning around.
Speaker 3: No, not at all, not today.
Speaker 2: Baby.
Speaker 3: When we come back tomorrow, we'll have some QB vision.
Speaker 4: We're gonna preview the Cowboys offense versus that Giants defense. See how Dak Press goot in that passing game can get going and keep it going against the Giants in Week two for Patrick goc Walker, Josh Roderriguez, Isaiah standback, Chris Beam in the back, I'm Kyle Yeoman saying so long from Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 3: We'll see you tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Wait a best.
Speaker 2: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.