Speaker 1: The volume, Jae, we will get you out of here on this.
Speaker 2: You're the head coach at Dynamic Prep High School in Irving, Texas. Max Prepp announced that Dynamic Prep finished number one in the final Top ten high school basketball ranking. Joe, when you were playing, did you know always knew you wanted to be a head coach?
Speaker 1: And what's that journey being like for you?
Speaker 2: Listen, brou I had no idea that I was coach. I was a head coach, to be honest, well, it's no man, Honestly, it's been one of those things where to be completely honest with you, man like I.
Speaker 1: You know, I was kind of dealing with some stuff.
Speaker 2: I was dealing my own personal issues when it came to you know, I had a little abandonment issue, you know, growing up. You know, I met my dad when I was thirty years old. He died thirteen months later. I was thirteen years into the NBA when that happened. So I've always struggled a little bit with this thing. And and and then obviously after the deal happened in Detroit, I started, you know, I didn't I didn't love playing as much anymore, Okay, because of every day and so when I was done, I wanted to just go and be with kids, give back what was given to me. I was fortunate enough when I was a young boy at Xavier McDaniel start a little team in Columbia, South Carolina. Tyrone gave back alex English had some camps I used to go to. So I just wanted to give, you know, give back to kids, man. And I just really put my head down and just started, you know, investing into the community that way. And it's been We've had an amazing run, you know, with the drive nation the club. You know, we've had a bunch of lottery picks, uh and first round picks and even second round picks over the last eight, you know, eight years. And you know, I feel like I needed to start a school, which is more of an impact because you get them five days a week versus you know, two or three days a week when it comes to club. So, you know, I'm energized about it. Honestly, I don't know how long.
Speaker 1: I'm a coach.
Speaker 2: I'm a coach again next year, but I do believe that, you know, you have to give back if you have knowledge and ability to get back to your community, man, you gotta give give you take those tools and give back to these young kids. Not on these kids, but most important, these parents that don't quite understand what it is, you know when it comes down to the business of being a pro and approach it that you got to do every day to become a pro and not skip steps. And so that's the reason why you know, I do what I do, and that's why I started doing that in prep. What you just gotta be honest with him. Your son not gonna be Lebron James. He's not gonna be Steph He's not gonna be Michael George. Because you know, every everybody, every every parent, they kid is that kid. But you know what I'm gonna tell you, I'm gonna tell you the truth. Okay, the first time ever I have more parents talk about N I L than they talk about the pros. Oh yeah, really crazy. They wear everybody on money there is that are looking to retire off their kids going to college. And so when you look at the product, right, the product now, and you know, when you're talking about the pros, the deterioration of it is happening at the youth level, right. And so now you got everybody in place running and go grab kids, and I got this so I can get you a deal.
Speaker 1: And so the parents are so their mind is.
Speaker 2: So so so so frazzled, that can't think appropriately. So they making decisions based off the economics of what they're hearing, not knowing that that that that true, that true money percent is really two percent anyway getting the money everybody ain't getting ain't getting all that right, right, yes, And so that's the thing where we try to we try to bring some some real positive information and tools and attach your day to day with what you say you're trying to get to, right, And so for us, our job is to continue to invest into the need to show people, Hey, look man, this is about the work. If you do anything about oh Joe, when you guys coming through, you wasn't worried about where you're gonna where's gonna be chosen? Right because you was good. Yeah, I was already chosen, right, That's what I'm saying. So we weren't about the reps and the work that we got to put in. I am absolutely making no All Star game or getting picked for this or getting picked for that.
Speaker 1: So that was coming no matter what.
Speaker 2: I just got to figure out can my schedule handle it right?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: But right now people are willing to stop working to try to try to talk about or try to get something they ain't invest in. No, no, no, sweat echo into from the start.
Speaker 1: And so that's what's.
Speaker 2: Problematic about everything. And that's why you see in the transition happened so hard. It was becoming so hard, and that's why college now coaches are saying, we only trust twenty five year olds. Yeah, we don't trust high school kids no more. Which twenty five year olds they had you pro by now? Yeah, if they've been and started asking that. I mean, you know, people asking I remember hearing the question whether Blake Griffin was so good?
Speaker 1: Why do you go back for a sideboard sea? What I mean?
Speaker 2: You know, if a guy's good, it's like basketball. If a guy don't come out after freshman year, well man, he must not be that good. I mean, you're not gonna You're never You're never gonna see another Tim Duncan. You're not gonna see a four year superstar like that. You're not, You're just not. It's not gonna happen.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: It's not them fans mad because they got to eat send their kids to school, right they want to They want to skip that damn level two to go get some money.
Speaker 1: It's crazy, bro, And it was crazy.
Speaker 2: I'm just down at the live period down in Memphis two weeks ago and I'm talking to the coach. I'm in the gym talking to the coaches for the clsic club side, and they said, man, we just hit checking boxes, so we really getting we really recruiting out of the portal. And that's staggering to me because again, as a parent, my kids going to ask and you next year to play the acc But Charon, I'm looking at this and I'm trying to you know, I'm still have to count for the other parents I have. I'm a little bit like, damn, like really, so these kids you got some kids is actually really doing it the right way, and he may get skipped over because the coach is now checked out because now they so they're too afraid to recruit a high school kid because they think the high school kid gonna get him fired. Wow. Well it's a money game now. So it is kid three four a half a million. If he don't come there and get busy, the coach is gone. Okay, And plus The thing is jail is that you can't coach kid like you. You get on a kid now he getting into that portal. Ain't no correction. You just gotta let it. Sometimes it's just like you gotta let the kid run them up. Like bro, I'm just trying. I've tried. Yeah, I'm gonna coach you hard because you sit you say you want to go to that next level. Yeah, okay, this is what's gonna take for you to get there. Yep, one hundred percent. And I'm ana shout out at my school. That's the reason why we just year three we win it, right, we know we get break the best prep school because I'm not about to let no parent come to my program telling me what to do with the kids. Because you talk about BeO taking care of your kids. Say, okay, hey, I want to go to college. I want to be the best to go to college. I want to go to the pros. I know that shit right, right, So which one of y'all play in college ball? Which one of y'all play in the NBA, the w NBA. Okay, get back over there, let me do this. But you know what, you know what I call it? Though, I said, look, I say this to parents all the time. I said, would you let a career and I ain't got no problems with line care people, right, would you let a career?
Speaker 1: Line care?
Speaker 2: God do your account? Nah? I said, well why would you? Why would you mess around with your kid unless somebody else that is not has no history. You ain't got to be a pro it has no history of doing the things of everything that your kids said he inspired to do. And we see that too many times, man, And then you know, obviously we got to be a little bit better in our community and how we work together as well too when it comes to these kids. Yep, Jail, thank you for joining us. You got anything you want to promote working? They find your ig, Twitter, Facebook, anything you want to get.
Speaker 1: One of them? Yeah, just yeah, I g man. Yeah, I'm gonna tell you man, I'm gonna start doing a little bit more. I'd like to come back on sometime soon. Man. Absolutely love to be on.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: You know, I was a little bit again.
Speaker 2: I told you about my dad situation, so I never wanta with my daughter at Texas.
Speaker 1: I didn't want to miss a moment with my son.
Speaker 2: Now I'm an empty nester, so I'm about to start hitting these rounds on, you know, and I'm doing stuff like this with you guys and your TVs.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: Oh, absolutely, your daughter to the volleyball player, right yeah yeah, yeah yeah, Okay, that's my mini work.
Speaker 1: Congratulations on bad man, Jail. Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 2: Jermaine O'Neal, six time All Star, three time All NBA selection from Oa Clear High School in Columbia, South Carolina.
Speaker 1: Jail, thank you for thank you for joining us. Man. Come back and join us soon. Oh chill, I mit you, mad, I'm coming down to Miami. Broh, come on, man, come on down here. Man.
Speaker 2: We can play one on one. All right, we can do that.
Speaker 1: I'm all right. Appreciate y'all. Man A right, appreciate it, Jail, Oh Joe.
Speaker 2: During a during OTAs this week, aj Brin admitted surprise at his current mindset coming into the league. We're taught we're playing for this reason, we're playing for the trophy, and once we got the trophy, it was just like I thought everything would be fulfilled, like the hard work and everything, but no, it's a journey. It's the journey that matters the most, that means the most, because those are the moments you look back with your teammates, those are spending time with you, going to war with You're suffering together, you're winning together. Yeah yeah, I mean once you look.
Speaker 1: I wanted to be a Pro Bowl player.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to build all an All Pro player, and I wanted to win a championship.
Speaker 1: I ain't thinking about no Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: I ain't even realize the Hall of Fame until Mark Kinsler told me in ninety six. Like man, He's like, Bro, you could put it together a couple more years, you can go to the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 1: I was like what.
Speaker 2: I was like, they take seventh rounders in the Hall of Famer. It's like it don't matter what run get drafted, and they go by production. I was like, Okay, that was the first time that I had really even gave a thought now mind you, Ohoe. In ninety one, we played in the Hall of Fame game. I went to that very building that my bus resides in. That's dope, not even thinking they did never even Doe, Bro, I'm from Glenville, I'm from Savannah.
Speaker 1: State Hall of Fame. Yeah. Man.
Speaker 2: Joe Green in the Hall of Fame by Terry Bradshaw Rogers Stalbach. The greats are the greats in the Hall of Fame legends.
Speaker 1: Yes, but you.
Speaker 2: Realize and it's not good enough to make one Pro Bowl because anybody could do it once. Yeah. Can you go back when they know you the guy, when they game plan for your ass? Can you get can you become an All pro again when they game planning for you? Yeah? When you walked to the middle of field mat hell of game shak man O Joe, Hey man, you gave that work today, O jo A. Don't worry about we see your ass again. Yeah, that's what I want. I want where y'all going to meeting on Wednesday. I want y'all circle to aid that tighty end of eighty four. We got to deal with him. And I totally agree with AJ because there's nothing like That's what you O yo. I never missed the game, I missed the bus rides, the plane rides, the bull driving in the locker room, in the training room joking, and the meeting room cracking joke. That's what you because that's what you're never gonna be able to replace. Ever, you never, you never and you look you're not best eating with everybody, but you're not gonna be around ten eleven guys that y'all laughing at joking back, You're.
Speaker 1: Never gonna be like that again. It's never gonna be like that again with you.
Speaker 2: Nah, It's not. And listen, and just what you just talked about about A J.
Speaker 1: Brown.
Speaker 3: I've become a little bit more fond of young bull Man as of late hearing some of the things he's talked about. I'm not going to get it into detail on it, but his perspective on life and other and other topics that I've seen him speak on.
Speaker 1: And.
Speaker 4: He's becoming a huge, a huge favorite of mine. Not even the receiver A J.
Speaker 1: Brown.
Speaker 3: I'm talking about the human being, the person, the husband, the person he is and values and morals in which he stands and said, I never knew that about him. I never knew it about him because I've never had the opportunity to interact with him outside of the game of football. But but hearing him and where he stands, you know, and in his belief the very very very admirable from the outside looking in on on what I thought the individual was like, no, based on what I see on the field, but in who he truly is off the field.
Speaker 1: Dude.
Speaker 3: I love, dude, man, I love He's real sharp. He's shock and he got a sharp mind.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: So it was a joy to see him in a different light than.
Speaker 3: What I expected based on the football player that they got to watch on Sundays.
Speaker 2: I remember we won the Super Bowl and obviously, man, there's nothing like it. Like I said, we broke the NFC. The NFC had run fourteenth straight Super bowls oko and to win it and to hold that trophy, to actually to actually be on the field, to have the confittie come down to your colors and you got the trophy. Now, think about how many times I've seen the Super Bowl winning team go on the field and get that trophy and everybody's looking at it.
Speaker 1: Now I finally have it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, A small kid from Glennville, Georgia, went to Savannah State and seventh round draft pick and I'm the starting tight end to announce my name and everything, and everybody in Glimmer say, you know what, I know somebody actually played in the Super Bowl. As a matter of fact, I probably went to school with him, if brother or his sister. That was me and winning that trophy there was that was that was like that was. That was at that point in time, probably the crowning achievement of my career.
Speaker 1: And I remember going into the off.
Speaker 2: Season and I'm like, because back then, you know, in sixteen games on shoe and then you know, we had to still had the two weeks and so we started playing. I mean we first week, so I think I think the super Bowl was damn near like the end of January.
Speaker 1: It wasn'tn't it. We didn't bleed into February.
Speaker 2: And I just remember, like the off season on show, I was like, man, so I took I took about an extra week off and got back into it. And I remember when we came back to OTA's and Mike got up in there like, Hey, congratulations, guys, I'm proud of this. I'm proud of you guys. He said, if you want to be special, you got to do do it again. Yeah, there are a lot of teams that won one in a row. He said, if you want to do you want to be special, you want to be remembered.
Speaker 1: We got to go back to back. And that was the mindset that we adopted.
Speaker 2: And I remember once to see we came out of I mean, we had a we had a great you know. As a matter of fact, we had a great, uh training camp.
Speaker 1: Everything was great. We're having fun.
Speaker 2: And Mike would put one like most teams have their schedule up there, all sixteen games. We put one game at a time. He said, this is a sixteen round fight. We go on one round at a time. Oh, knocked the Patriots out, and so we just going down, just check it out, just checking them off, checking them off for Joe, checking them off thirteen weeks because think about it, we won our last last game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well our last two games ninety seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when our last two games in ninety seven, now last game in ninety seven, beat the Chargers. Then we go through the playoffs, win the Super Bowl. Then we come out. So we win like eighteen straight games. Oh Joe, feeling good. Yeah, get to the playoffs. But I agree with everything he said. There's something about that moment. And when I get on the phone and I talked to Burns or me and Ross Smith calling Foots a feed some of them guys, man, we just hey, man, you repersented. So we're at the back of the plane, Jonie. I mean, very few times, O Joe, do we ever talk about the Super Bowl game itself. We're talking about going to the game. We're talking about on the plane ride back, on the bus ride back. Very seldom do we mention anything about the Super Bowl itself. We always talk about the plane ride or Man, you remember we got a man we got snowed in and we had to go get people on snowmobiles to go to Buffalo. We get the Buffalo like one thirty two o'clock in the morning and we got a one o'clock game. Yeah, man, I bet that was so much fun. Ain't nothing like that? And nothing like that? And then when you're in it, o jo, Yeah, you don't get to enjoy it. You don't. You don't because you're in it and you feel if you enjoy it, it's gonna take you out of that mindset of what you need to do to make sure you try to stay in it.
Speaker 1: So ain't nothing like that? Hey. A. J.
Speaker 2: Brown said he's also upset about the current hair haircut price in the country.
Speaker 1: Haircut price are crazy nowadays.
Speaker 2: I used to pay twenty dollars for a cut, Hey, Jay, ain't no more money cut cut?
Speaker 1: But we I used to pay five.
Speaker 2: Two fitty hey, and what I but you gotta realize, on you, I'll get a haircut in the seventies. He and my brother, my grandfather get maaded my brother. You know, four dollars, two to five dollars. Hey, we get both of us get a haircut in college. That's all you're giving you a teammate, And I wish I would play a guy five dollars to cut my haird What times are different?
Speaker 1: Black?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh Joe, Look how you got no problem? You know? Hey, good sixty dollars for a cut.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go ahead and timp your phoney, Oh Joe, dude, be they be wanting two three.
Speaker 1: Hundred to cut me.
Speaker 3: Man, listen, it's time, listen, John, fifty dollars for apart? Hold on, you talking about a haircut two hundred dollars by two steaks at the grocery at the grocery store, what forty three dollars?
Speaker 1: Yeah, boy, you well guess what how about y'all there in the restaurant? Seventy dollars?
Speaker 3: Hey, so at least you got two. Hey, they got to make their money up some kind of way.
Speaker 2: They ain't got no you not look look a lot of times, a lot of times what happened on Joe is that if an af if Barber's cut, athletes, celeves and entertainers, they want to live that lifestyle.
Speaker 1: Right, Bro, you need this.
Speaker 2: You need to play, pick up, a play a sport, You need to act, play an instrument or dance, sing or something, because you not finna come up on me. Hey, I grow dreds first. I grow dred I get twists and I'm not paying no three no cut. I don't care if I got twenty thirty forty fifty sixty million, I'm not paying no three of dollar.
Speaker 3: That's a lot. That's a lot. That is just a cut. That listen, that's a lot.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: Now what we can say is is about our but but but our friend not too.
Speaker 4: Long ago, who's down here in Miami. Not that kind of service.
Speaker 3: Yes, I forgot, I forgot, I forgot an Instagram name, but for that kind of service.
Speaker 4: Not Yeah, one hundred dollars Now, were talking?
Speaker 2: We can we can, we can talk. Yeah, Okay, if you're gonna cut it, you're gonna diet, you're gonna give me a facial Yeah, got that now that I understand.
Speaker 3: Now, I'm not gonna get that every time, right time but every so often, you know, you got your nice little date night with your girl you want you want to get Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Boom, there you go. Now you're good.
Speaker 1: Please man, you think i'ma let.
Speaker 2: You're gonna be on my head for cutting my hair for thirty minutes and I'm gonna go give you three hundred and then you wanna expect to tip tip? Who tip? What I gotta till, don't eat excited to ride the bus. That'll be a terrible experience for everybody. I ain't got that for Yo Joe dude. But uh nah, I try to think, hey, j Yeah, well I'm saying I think I'm trying to think. When I played, how much was I playing for a cut?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I was playing by twenty thirty dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I paid the dude cut by hair.
Speaker 1: Now you do a good job. I give him.
Speaker 2: I give him a hey, I think he's like forty five fifty ocs of hair.
Speaker 1: I give him a.
Speaker 2: Hunt damn damn. Big money. Okay, yeah, big money. But he did do a good job of get me in because, like, like when I was in Atlanta on Yoe, I like all my I like, I don't like the you know, I don't do no walk in.
Speaker 1: I like a standing appointment.
Speaker 2: So for my nails, my facials, my haircut, my massage, I would pay for the hour, pay for the whole year.
Speaker 1: God damn.
Speaker 2: Paid the whole year. Because guess what, o't Joe? When I say what I say, Hey, I want my time them more have to move somebody to get men as opposed to them moving me to get somebody else. He didn't already paid everything out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I donet pay you. I done got back.
Speaker 2: Hey, whyn't you? Hey?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Hey, I always did that.
Speaker 3: And you you complaining about me on you fifty two hundred and you paying for nails, manicures and headcuts a whole year.
Speaker 1: They're providing the service. What you doing? You take your money out of my pockety? I can't.
Speaker 2: I can't pay them. I told her, I said I would. I told them, Bob, I would pay you money. But oh, you old me fifty nine hundred. I can't pay you.
Speaker 4: I ain't never heard nobody do that. Well you b y, Hey, oh JR. Check this out?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: I remember I paid.
Speaker 2: I had ran out because I get like so I got this package and that lady runs a special on facials. You know, if you go ahead and pay you by twelve, I get a mustle, she'll give you fifteen. I bought the package, got the job at Fox. I still got some old the book. I have some of the books. I ain't got it no more. But uh yeah, but I like that. I like a static appointment. They know I'm coming at this time. Hey, uh, we're not gonna We're gonna get my massage Monday. I should get massages Monday, No Wednesday and Friday. That's what my massage, haircut was Thursday, nails Thursday. I like that. I like know what I like. I like structure. I like a schedule. I like being on the schedules. I think everybody knows that. And I'm gonna be A and I wanna be A and I'm gonna be I'm gonna be ticked if I come in there and I gotta wait longer than five minutes because you know I'm coming. I've already paid you for this time, so he don't be trying to get an I can squeeze you in. Come at two forty five when you know my appointments at three, because I'm gonna feel some type of way I'm gonna be sick, So just so everybody know, should discuss the hate he receives online while saying he's planning to be visible in the Cleveland community, not to nine percent of the hatred directed at me is towards my pops and then I'm just his son. But the kids didn't grow up in the era where they watched them play. It's just the older generation that does it to me rather than younger people. Because when I come to a person and there's no negativity, I see, but it's all over online.
Speaker 1: That's why I say I like going to ski.
Speaker 2: I like going to schools in person and actually meeting the kids, and any question they have, I say, just ask me whatever the question you want.
Speaker 1: Pick any question, no filter, no anything.
Speaker 2: That's what they say and I and then I just answer whatever they need me to answer.
Speaker 1: What you think on Joe, any truth to what he's saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, most definitely, most definitely listened. Is the young folks really don't have a problem with it.
Speaker 1: They enjoy them.
Speaker 3: But it's the older kids, not older kids, the oldest older folks in general.
Speaker 2: Right, that's hating.
Speaker 3: And yes, some of the hate does come from his father, but Also, some of the hate is going to come from him and what he's been able to accomplish so far, what people mistake for arrogance or cockiness, which is merely confidence, which is all he's showing. Some people don't like that. Some people want to be humble. They want you to dim your light because it makes them uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my life, it hurting your eyes, your light shining bright.
Speaker 3: It It might do, but I'm not deming it. Obviously, he's he's a quarterback.
Speaker 4: The quarterback position is supposed to carry themselves a certain ways. It's a way in which he doesn't carry himself.
Speaker 3: And he hasn't been given any grace as opposed to other quarterbacks that were just as boisterous.
Speaker 2: You know they don't you know.
Speaker 3: What the money Listen, Listen, it's different. It's a double standard, but it is what it is. So you understand that. I hope he doesn't change anything. I hope he doesn't change anything. Just put his head down, do the work you need to do, and handing your business, and change the quarterback position, which hasn't been good for the rounds consistently in a very very long time, since number nineteen, since since.
Speaker 2: Bernie colsar in the eighties. Yeah, and before that you got to go back to Otto Graham. So they really don't have two good quarterbacks. I'm wishing oh Joe well, I'm wishing him well. Man, Oh yo, You're not gonna be able to win with people because if I dress nice, Oh, he tried to show off. If I dressed down, he broke you See, ain't no in between. No, it ain't no in between, because it's you. You you projected, you're projecting. Uh, the man's confidence. The man believes in himself. Every everybody that's ever accomplished anything has.
Speaker 1: Believed in themselves.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you're the only If I don't believe in me, who else don't believe in me? Exactly when people told me, shann you ain't gonna do nothing, I believe the one person that told me I would meet because I was the one that was gonna be lifting that weight.
Speaker 1: I was gonna be the one that was running.
Speaker 2: I was gonna be the one that stayed in and didn't go out and party.
Speaker 1: That was gonna be me. Now, if it didn't happen on Joe, I wasn't.
Speaker 2: Gonna be able to blame anybody because I knew what I wanted to become. I knew what I wanted to accomplish. But no matter what you do, if I say, y'all going out there to do, I'm bragging, then I don't show up and play well. He's sorry, he terrible. I told you what I was gonna do. I'm bragging. I don't do anything. I'm not in the good I dressed well or he tried to show off. I got hold of my he broke hey list, So how do I win?
Speaker 1: By no?
Speaker 2: Ca I eat at a nice restaurant. I man, I wish I would play one hundred dollars for a steak man. Them dreams cost thirty dollars. They see me that a fat food chain man, he got h Hey, he can't eat. He was a fat food chain because he can't eat the hun You see what I'm saying, O Joe. So at some point in times, you just got to be secure in who you are and do what you want to do. No matter what do what you want to do can't please everybody, right and that and that's the that's the that's the hardest part, is that because before oh Joe, you didn't have all, you didn't have. We didn't have social media, so people couldn't jump in your comments. People didn't have a way of saying anything. I mean the national media day. You know you had a bad game that would tear you up. But now I mean, everybody jump on your timeline. Everybody got something to say. Everybody.
Speaker 3: You have to be in a in an error where everybody is very sensitive individuals that are in the limelight, where the it be sports, uh uh, entertainment, entertainment. You have to be mentally strong. Mentally you do you just you just have to be. And if you're not, if you're not mentally strong, you don't need to be in certain business businesses in general because oh they coming for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah sometimes because look, everybody's not happy for your success and sometimes they want to see you successful until you become successful. And then you know, I told you, Andrew Shows told me a great quote. He said, the easier it is to make money doing something, the more resemful and enbious people will become of you. Because everybody feels like they got a voice and they can talk. So if you makeing X amount of money, the I can do that? Why he get to do it that?
Speaker 1: I can't you see everybody realize I ain't fit to be sixty nine.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna be able to run No. Four three forty. I'm not gonna be able to hit the curveball, the slider or the change up. But talking O Joe, you need to tell me or the camera and the microphone, and he can make that. He making that kind of money and making that kind of money. Yeah, So the easier it is to do something, the more resemful and nbious people will become of you and it. And I'm not look like I said, I wasn't used to this, O Joe. I wasn't. I wasn't used like Puy. I'm expecting Kansas City to dislike me. I expect the Raider fans to dislike me. I'm on the Broncos. We beat hell out your team. You should dislike me, right, But what I got into this and I didn't know. I didn't know I had this even at Undisputed, cause you know, I was everybody's favorite uncle.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, don't Joe.
Speaker 2: I was talking about the George Floyd, I was talking about Walter Walter Scott.
Speaker 1: I was talking about Eric Garner.
Speaker 2: I was talking about Sandra, but I was, I was doing all that stuff on't Joe. We talked about the Colin Kaepernick skip and I. We talked about it when everybody else had abandoned it and would nobody touch it. We touched it and I'm talking about with both feet. So I was like, I'm on my own night because everybody kept telling me, Man, you need to be on your own. You don't need to be taking this YadA YadA, y'ada. Okay, man, he'll sell out, he gossip me, he's zested. It's like with damn, but then they gonna come now. But but you know what and and uh, you know, lots of the share that that that comes along with it. I was like, really, they come along with it. I've always felt I wanted the port and damn the fame. M you know, you hear a lot of people say, oh, your fame and fortune. Nah, I could I could have I could have did it. I could have picked the fortune.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, listen, it's nice. It's nice to be the fortune is very nice. I hear a lot of people tweet that out. I want I want the money, not the fame. But it's really hard to have one without the other. It is it's very hard to have one without the other. And there there is, there's, there's, there's no given.
Speaker 1: Take well, it all depends on how you accumulated it.
Speaker 2: See if you've accumulated in sports, if you accumulated it in entertainment, it's hard.
Speaker 1: A lot of these billionaires, they're walk by you. You wouldn't even know who they were. No, you wouldn't.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't, yes, you you would have no earthly idea that such and such is worth a billion, two billion, eight hundred million, because they didn't make it in a way that you saw them make it. See if a guy playing sports here, well, Lebron James has made eight hundred million and with five hundred million in NBA salary. Tom Brady made three hundred plus million dollars in the NFL salary, So you can see that. But a guy that invested in Google that you didn't see. A guy that brought Netflix from the video, you didn't see it. Somebody had Berkshire half the way, you didn't see. So and they sitting on tons or they got this invested in a startup uber and now they ten x fifteen x thirty extra money sitting on hordes or cash.
Speaker 1: Ojoe, Yeah, walked right by you.
Speaker 2: You never know, never never know.
Speaker 1: But uh but you know what, don't Joe?
Speaker 2: And and now you see it comes along with it, that comes along with his territory. I feel bad for I feel bad, but I think should do or being in the situation that he's in and being who he is. I think his daddy's prepared him for this. I think he's prepared him extremely well. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: You know, time got it.
Speaker 2: You know people say time with self and he's going back and forth playing football and basketball.
Speaker 1: Well, don't heat the boat, bro, I mean, think about it.
Speaker 2: If you can make if you can make twenty million doing one job and you can make another twenty million doing another job.
Speaker 1: He was like, nah, I don't want that twenty million over there. You know.
Speaker 2: It wasn't like he was doing on the free. They were paying him to play baseball. Yeah, he leading two checks and he was good, damn good.
Speaker 1: I mean you but it's tough.
Speaker 2: I mean some people are some people are delighting that he got he went into the fifth round.
Speaker 1: But I you know, oh, joy, ain't where you go is what you do once you get there. That's it.
Speaker 2: That's my that's my favorite line, because at the end of the day, you're gonna have to show one way or another you for cad War with the first pick. He's gonna have to show what he can do in Tennessee all the everybody you would get help and to show the pass and cleat okay.
Speaker 1: You know, and prove you are what you say you are.
Speaker 3: And he's flying under the radar right now too now because of all the attension that yes, and he's flying under the radar.
Speaker 2: I'm wishing him well too. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, I know you from Miami, but everybody, wou wasn't happen when with the Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: Probably not, No, hell no, I didn't care either one thing.
Speaker 2: That my dream ain't yourys. Hey, I don't know what your dream. I ain't living your dream. I'm living mind. Hey, it ain't mean I ain't.
Speaker 3: It ain't matter who cared and who cared, not nothing. I knew what was gonna happen when I got there. I can tell I tell.
Speaker 1: You that.
Speaker 2: I ain't worked this hard to have a cup of coffee. Oh yeah, you know I tried out for the Broncos. Oh no, it was gonna be no try try. I don't know nothing about that, don't Joe. I ain't had no choice but to make it. That's it. That's it, the work to put all that years. Think about how long you've been playing. I think I started playing tackle football at nine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I started at Foe Liberty City Optimists, I mean Miami Lake's Optimist.
Speaker 2: I'll never forget. Yeah, I started playing football at nine years of age, so nine. It got drafted at twenty one turn twenty two like two months later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so thirteen years that what I mean? Not making it wasn't no option for me. I knew they had something.
Speaker 2: I can do, And now I have a thirteen year special team career. But I'll go play in the NFL something and don't live. No, don't give me no chance. You've been a chance that you want to get out there now getting the job back.
Speaker 3: I'm thinking about that, man, that's so long ago. Yeah, nineteen ninety eight, Miamon Lakes Optimists. I remember my coach too, Miami Lakes Optimist, Python's off sixty seventh Avenue.
Speaker 2: Why you wasn't no damn four years old in nineteen ninety eight, What the hell you talking about?
Speaker 3: I'm thinking about my first coach. I'm telling you what I can. I can remember recollect you said nineteen ninety eight. Yes, I started at four, but I don't remember my coaches when I started at Yo.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you when I first remember my coach Dell Dunn't yeah yeah with my first coach. His mom was a substitute teacher, right, and that dad pe smoked all the kids tell about you want to play football for my son? You want to play football son?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I like you better? You better you talking to my grandma. You married boy? Aha, yes, ma'am. Bus dropped me off. The lady let damn it run me over pulling in the yard.
Speaker 1: Well, no, lady, I got the brother with damn Yeah. You know you could have called.
Speaker 2: Damn man. That's that's some good memories. Man. I never ye Dorsey miss with Western Sol he was my second coach. Yeah, yeah, yeah, because you know you, you chick, you picked everybody got to pick three. You get to pick three players because I like you do it on Joe, see like I can't. I came late. They had already started my first coach. They had already got their team. I already picked, but I was gonna play on her team and it and I was like, I gotta play on his team because he's gonna take me home.
Speaker 1: You know, hey, if you want breaking. She had to drop home.
Speaker 2: I couldn't play right because and we didn't have a one car, and my sister was gonna be coming to pick me up from practice. So Mary say, uh uh Francis, uh you gonna fetch You're gonna fetch that boy home? Yeah, Mary, I'll pray him home, Okay. So she brought me home. Next year Dorset, I went the first round, brought me home and then uh what was the guy? Uh Billy shoemaker? Uhh wow, man, I can't think of the guy's name. Oh, your damn might have been? Was it Dale Kickltter? Dale kicklatter might have been my coach. I gotta I gotta ask Libery tomorrow. But I got that ride home though, yeah. Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: And when I.
Speaker 2: Played, when I got to the high school, O Joe, I know was they wasn't supposed to do it, but you had to because my aunt my sister would drop my aunt off to all the football games, basketball games to track me.
Speaker 1: SHP.
Speaker 2: You had to start, damn you. Oh you had to take my aunt home. Yeah, my aunt ride home. It be all the guys in my aunt. Hey, hey, coach, you know my aunt. Oh yeah, she can come on.
Speaker 1: That's dope, man. Yeah man, she she would. My aunt Jane called top. Uh. She went to.
Speaker 2: Every football every one of my football games in high school.
Speaker 1: Everyone one of my home basketball games.
Speaker 2: She was there. Every one of my track meets. She was there every last one of them.
Speaker 1: Damn, I come out. He I get dressed. Stop you ready to go?
Speaker 2: Yeah, she get a she get in the band, she get on the bus with us, every one of them. There was some days. As a matter of fact, my track coach and my high school football coach, coach Hall.
Speaker 1: Actually he going to the Hall of Fame. My brother.
Speaker 2: He coached my obviously, he coached my mom. My mom graduating in sixty. I graduated eighty six, So twenty six years. He coached fifty years.
Speaker 1: Yep. He told the doctor, coach on will probably be about.
Speaker 2: Oh, coach all, mama eighty one. So coach All, she'll be about eighty seven, he told the doctor. He said, coach, how you doing. He said, I'm doing good. He said, I got one more guy, I got one more boy to get into the Hall of Fame. And then Doc, I'm good. After that, I don't care nothing about after that. Yeah, yeah, man, that joke. He called my sister. He gets in, coach'all, I don't know. Okay, when you find out, let me know. So he got it.
Speaker 1: She drove up there.
Speaker 2: She told him, coach, Allie, but I showed good. So we just we just booked here. His wife reservation.
Speaker 1: Uh. Thank the other day. I think Shelley took care of the other day.
Speaker 2: That's what That's what makes it special, Ochoe, when you have a coach that's been a part of this. He coached my mom, he coached my uncles, my driver's in, my son, you know, all my aunts, my sister, me, my brother. And then it was a part of it because he lived in Savannah. The home games, I look, I see him on the side. I see him stand over the side. Had a white guy named Billy Strickly, O Joe. Only white guy there all come from Glennville. The only white guy at the hall. He was at the That man was so proud, O Joe. He said, this the priest day of my life. That had to beat the he was he's the pharmacist so my grandma would send my sister there to getting medicine. Not have no money. He said, don't even worry about it. Don't even worry about it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Billy Strick was at the game, standing standing on the side. I would see him because he obviously he Ad and Coachy all knew each other. They be standing there. That's what that's what, that's what makes it fun. Coach All drive, he drove to d C drive, the Tennessee Drive to Jacksonville.
Speaker 1: If I'm close Atlanta driving, he coming. Yeah.
Speaker 2: If it's anything, if it's anything under twelve hours, Coach All gonna drive.
Speaker 1: He coming.
Speaker 2: We played Carolina in the preseason game. Coach All there. Coach All there. Yeah, man, because you know when when they first started, they played at Clemson and then they got their own stadium. Coach All coming, and uh man, it's so great. It's a it's a unbelievable feeling that he gets the experiences. It ain't a whole lot, it ain't a whole lot of guys coach to coach two guys that go to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Uh and he got he's in the coach He's in the Hall he's in the UH Georgia Coaches Hall of Fame. Man, he was so proud that he told his men, my brother went up there and went up there for that man. That's what it's all about. Oh, Joe, Gravis Hunter. Travis Hunter had a busy month. First, he was selected number two overall by the Jacksonville Jacks in the NFL Draft. Then he graduated Colorado May fifteenth, and on Saturday, he got married to his longtime girlfriend, Leanna Lenie. He gave her a gift ceremony worse at least at least six hundred k. It's a Mercedes band AMG sixty three bravers a hundid.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think nice. Yeah they nice.
Speaker 2: But your boy ain't got that kind of bread. Yeah, bread boy got that out of bread. No, if they had it, he ain'ybody want to be Oh once you get to a certain age like myself, O Joe. Yeah, about to be fifty seven in a month. Yes, sir, I done had everything. I won't now a yeah you want to chill?
Speaker 1: I did it? I done? Did it? I done? Did it? I don't had the Ferrari and the.
Speaker 2: Rolls and the Bentley body beds and range I don't have all that, get it all, but a I'm happy for the young fellow.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I made he looks so bad. He looked happy, very happy.
Speaker 3: Man. Listen, that's what That's what it's about at the end of the day. And I'm glad him and his wife ignored all the haters on our side. Ignore all the haters. Everybody gonna have an opinion. Everybody gonna have to say this, blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: Whatever.
Speaker 2: I am as long as they happy.
Speaker 4: Traph focus on what you got to focus on.
Speaker 3: Go out there and turn Jacksonville in Duval County upside the fuck down.
Speaker 1: Turn it upside down. We should have that should have been us many years ago. O yo, never man, Wait, what's what should have been us? Married? Oh?
Speaker 4: Ship right now that I've been trying to get you, man, man, listen, I'm I'm.
Speaker 1: About you.
Speaker 4: Oh I'm getting married. I told you I'm twenty twenty six. I'm not playing.
Speaker 3: Hey, let me tell you. Let me tell you something. When when the ball, when that ball? When that ball dropped December.
Speaker 1: What thirty first? Yeah, I ain't got time to play. I ain't got man.
Speaker 2: Oh, Joe, you had me. I had this white linen outfit. I was gonna wear this, and listen, you're gonna still be here. You're gonna still be able to wear it. I'll tell you that I ain't got time to play. Ain't nothing out Damn man.
Speaker 1: You're right, you're right, you ain't You know what, Joe, you're when you're right, you ain't wrong.
Speaker 3: And listen, boy, I ain't got time to play no games. By I'm jumping the broom. Two of them, yeah, two of them need be I told you listen, pay attention.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: Think about all the stories we've been talked about. Yeah, all players, basketball players and everyone that's having success. Do you notice what they all have in common? They all were married. I want some of that. I want some of that. I'm telling you, I'm telling you listen, God, I'm gonna tell you what Grandma.
Speaker 2: Just told me. God ain't finished with me yet. He wait, he's waiting on me.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna finish the work that needs to be done with you until I have a foundation to build it on.
Speaker 2: So I'm gonna go ahead and create that foundation now.
Speaker 4: Now now watch that. Everything just just start.
Speaker 2: Just and until you pay me fifty nine hundred when I get on you.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna take as long as God till.
Speaker 3: Hey, listen, I'm out. I tell you what I'm gonna I'm gonna tell to God about it.
Speaker 4: Let me see what he say.
Speaker 2: Let me let me, let me tell you. You need to tell them the bill about it. Hold on, let me pray on it. Why you gotta pray on my money?
Speaker 3: No, it's not. It's not about praying all your money. Just I want to talk to God about it. You ain't t all them yet. Yeah, we talk.
Speaker 2: He's about are you promised to God? You know, UK ain't got no patience and I should be trying his patience. I need to give him his money.
Speaker 3: Noah, listen, Jesus got the will. Don't worry about it. As long as Jesus got.
Speaker 2: The will, be going in the right direction. Well, I ain't in it, So I need you to pay me my fifty nine hundred. I ain't anything will that between you? Hey, God, I need you to cut your I need you to give you fifty that hundred. The cash I got you. I got you any pressure, ain't no pressure. Well, congratulations mister and missus Hunter, miss Hunter, enjoy your gift. UH sixty three brad Les eight hundred them things nice to you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, an nice, they real nice, they real nice.
Speaker 2: All right, Now it's time for our final segment of the evening. It's time for Q and A. Cash said, y'all talking about haircuts. But imagine what we pay go to the hair salon robbery but cash hair is the thing.
Speaker 1: We get our.
Speaker 2: Haircut every week or sometimes twice a week. Yes, so just imagine playing bro. Imagine paying every week. That's twelve hundred dollars. That's twel hundred dollars a month. Oh no, I know at the time, I was getting my hair cut two times a week, right, because you know, being on television, So you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Don't Joe, I have?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: So I get my haircuts.
Speaker 2: I get my haircut Sunday and then I get it cut again on Wednesday. So imagine three hundred dollars, three hundred dollars, I six hundred dollars a week, six hundred dollars a week times four, that's twenty four hundred times twelve. Damn you you got money, boy? No, no, no, no, I told y'all off, no damn haircut. But y'all, but but see y'all be getting a lot of stuff done. Y'all be you know, y'all. Sometimes y'all get what they what they call them h laf front they begin.
Speaker 1: Y'all, y'all, y'all get way.
Speaker 2: They take ash off, they do they no, I can see if they're putting the frow on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and listen, it's a lot of work goes into day. And now listen, you gotta think. You got to think now some of them wigs that they get, yeah, they get they different prices of that stuff.
Speaker 1: Now they get expensive.
Speaker 3: They Yeah, we can go from two hundred to fifteen hundred now, dependent depending on you.
Speaker 4: Gotta get your last she's done then you got oh yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. How long? How long? How long? How long a wig last? For y'all?
Speaker 3: It depends on the person. Depends on the person. Now, some people take care of the wigs and some people don't. Okay, they should should last year anywhere from by the good three weeks, a good three weeks.
Speaker 1: So they got to go back touched up again.
Speaker 3: Huh yeah yeah, especially especially you know, you do any kind of color to it. You can get be on for you gotta take care you wi some people don't take care of the wigs though they don't.
Speaker 1: Okay, Quentin May said, strip clubs, will you signed for you? O Joe? He said, script club was the sign for you?
Speaker 4: No no, no, no no no no no.
Speaker 1: Well what do you mean?
Speaker 2: Strip club will the sad for me?
Speaker 1: What you were in? Now? You were that booby trap? Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, I took.
Speaker 2: I took, I took twin. I took twin up there, I took okay, up there, you know.
Speaker 4: Matter of fact, man, my oldest my oldest daughters came with me too.
Speaker 1: M hmm. They had a good time. Huh.
Speaker 4: Listen, we had a good time. I ain't throw no money, though, I ain't throw the money.
Speaker 1: Oh they threw the money.
Speaker 2: I mean they they had their own money. Though. You think I'm going to strip club for the spit?
Speaker 1: Mike got damn money.
Speaker 2: How do you think I'm the somebody else?
Speaker 1: Right? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, I ain't even paid you. You think I'm gonna pay them?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: That that's what I was waiting on you to go there. That's what I waiting go right outside your head. I would wait on you said, Yeah, I threw the money up Oh oh absolutely, Hey, listen, listen.
Speaker 3: I'm all about I'm all about supporting, you know, the naked hustle. But at that time, I'm not in a position where I can do that.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Nick Markin said, hey, now that to a postpone. Oh you'll have another out for your fifty nine hundred. Now what that man is gonna wait till twenty twenty six to pay you? Nah, you're right, you're right, get you, get right you you ain't wrong, You're right. That's what he's waiting for. Nah he wait, he waiting, he waiting all that time to pay me my money.
Speaker 3: Not really, I can app, I can prepare it to you right now. No Apple, pay no like cash at.
Speaker 1: You got zell?
Speaker 2: Huh no, bag.
Speaker 1: Hey, thank you.
Speaker 2: For joining us for another episode of Nightcap. You watch the New York Knicks come from twenty down to defeat the Indiana Pacers one oh six to one hundred. They out scored him by sixteen in the fourth quarter thanks to Cat who was sensational in that fourth quarter, Jaylen Brunson with Jalen Bronson. Phibodeau switched up his lineup. He inserted Mitchell Robinson. Josh Hart came off the bench, and they were able to come from twenty points down in the second to win this game. And now we have a series. Now can they make it two to two going back to MSG. That's what they hope, that's what the goal is. On Tuesday, thank you for joining us for another episode of Nightcap. Y'all know who I am. I'm your favorite NK Shannon Shark, my partner and co hosts Liberty City's own Bengo Ring of Fame, Mano Ree pro bowler, All Pro he's been outside lately. That's Chad o Josenko Johnson, and we want to thank our special guests to talk basketball. His former team, a six times NBA All Star, a three time All NBA selection from eu Claire High School in Columbia, South Carolina, Jermaine O'Neill. We want to thank Jaoe for joining us. Please make sure you hit that subscribe button. Please make sure you hit the light button and go subscribe to the Nightcap podcast feed. Guys, wherever you get your podcast from? Even what's up that?
Speaker 1: That's much? That's my oldest.
Speaker 2: Okay, what I broke? MA, I'm good man, I'm good. Make sure you subscribe. Hit that subscribe button. Don't get on your phone and hit the subscribe button.
Speaker 1: Nightcap. I've been subscribed.
Speaker 2: Show you every subscriber counts. Thank you, guys. We're not where we are without you. I understand that. I think everybody at Nightcap, especially O Joe and I, we understand. The success that we've enjoyed was because of you, because of your eyes, because of your ears, because of the word of mouth. And you've helped us grow exponentially and we cannot thank you enough. So thank you for your support, and you'll continue support. Make sure you check out Shape by Laportier. We do have it in stock now. If you can't find it in the city or state near you, you best believe by the end of the year we're going to be in a city or state near you. But in the meantime, if you cannot find it, order it online. We'll ship it directly to your door. It is the best tasting Vsop Kangyak on the market. Don't take my word for it. Try it. You will not be disappointed. Please drink responsibly and stay safe. Make sure you go follow my media company page on all of its platform Shayshane Media and My Clothing Company eighty four with eighty four being spelled out.
Speaker 1: The link is pin in the chat.
Speaker 2: Supplies are limited and once they're gone, they're gone, so please grab yours wile supplies last. We're back tomorrow night and we have a very special guest, Number one overall draft pick, Grandmama Larry Johnson joins us to help us break down the ok See Thunder and the Minnesota Timberwolves Game four. Thank you guys for joining us again. We'll see you tomorrow night. Thank you guys. Volume