Speaker 1: Cut over that DJ Moore nisode Touchdown Touchdown Pairs. I am Jeff joniaclitz Is on Donnie got what was like playing for Coachy Digg. I don't want to answer any questions like that pressure coming is a big trouble.
Speaker 2: Dotie gos Montes Sweat.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: Bears et Cetera brought to you by Geico, with the voices of the Bears Jeff, Jonyac and Tom Thayer, searching for answers on the offense and much more as we get you set for Bears Packers in week eleven, Episode one ten of the Bears et Cetera podcast with Super Bowl winning Bears guard Tom Thayer. I'm Jeff Joniac. We're brought to you by Geico. A painful nineteen three loss to the Patriots sends the Bears to.
Speaker 2: Four and five through nine.
Speaker 1: Eight more to go and the most challenging part of the schedule beginning next Sunday at noon against the Green Bay Packers.
Speaker 2: Tom a lot of ty Jess.
Speaker 1: I'll also here on the status at Hollis from Coach ebra Fluss and at the podium on Monday, DeAndre Swift and TJ. Edwards, two veterans with insights of interest for us to break down as well, but most keenly interested in what you had to see on tape and specifically your reaction to my interview with Matt Eberflush and we'll get to that in a little while, but just over all your reflections on what's going on.
Speaker 4: They have to figure out the big picture of how to play complimentary football in all three phases, because you can go out there and you can criticize the performance of the offense and you can say, look, they got to kind of reinvent themselves to see how to play better, to do better, and to score more points. This is they're still playing good defensive football. But because you know, when you talk about a score that's nineteen to three, nineteen is not a great deal of points in the NFL with the beginning field position, if the offense could take advantage of that and they could get themselves in the scoring column, and then you're allowed to do a couple things more aggressively on defense.
Speaker 5: And when you have a guy like Tyler.
Speaker 4: Gordon back in the lineup, he gives you that type of versatility that you can attack from different angles in different levels. So if you're really looking at the big pitcher. What can we do starting Wednesday at practice and continue through the walkthroughs and into the meetings to make us a more efficient offense.
Speaker 5: So we complement the defense and the special teams.
Speaker 4: And that's why you're a professional coach, and this is what you've been doing your whole life. This is why you're a professional football player. And it kind of DeAndre Swift said that a couple times at the podium and so and you started it.
Speaker 5: This is Bears packers week. You don't need to say a lot more after that.
Speaker 4: This is an emotionally packed week that can do a lot to get this thing right back on its feet.
Speaker 1: Now, you mentioned not reinventing the wheel, that kind of thing. Is it possible to do that midseason or are we just talking about a different approach, whether it be coaches players, both coaches and players at how this offense is supposed to be working.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 4: I just think, you know, last night on Bears Game Night Live, we are talking about, you know, Keenan Allen, DeAndre Swift, what do you do well that you can build upon going forward? And the passes and the examples to Keenan Allen that can affect dj Roma, Dunz a Cole Comet and everybody else that can catch the football on this team. It's about the efficiency and the timing of getting the ball out of Caleb's hands. He's got great accuracy, He's super efficient on the short distance passes. Allow it to get into the hands of the playmaker and then let them make the play. Don't count on yourself as a quarterback that has to make the biggest of the play.
Speaker 5: Just make the play that's offered to you.
Speaker 4: And we saw repeated examples of it to Keenan Allen that I think that can carry through to every team that you're going to play the remainder of the season. Then you have to look at the plays that DeAndre Swift runs well because they're being blocked well. If that's the outside zone plays where you can use the athleticism of the offensive line to get outside the power base and compete more against linebackers and defensive backs. If you have defined point of attack plays that you just tell the running back follow the offensive line put the responsibility on their shoulder, and DeAndre Swift even said at the podium, if it means that I got to put my shoulders down and get three plus yards per carry.
Speaker 5: That's what we have to do. To me, it's not an impossible task.
Speaker 4: It's just going to watch the tape, maybe backtracking and watching a couple of other tapes, and just see what you're repeatedly doing well, and you can do it. You don't need fifty plays going into a game. You can do it with the five best manageable plays run wise that you can run repeatedly out of different formations, and then the passing of getting the ball out of Caleb's hands.
Speaker 1: Good new Chicago United Airlines is getting brand new planes with all the bells and whistles, like Bluetooth connectivity screens at every seat in room for everyone's roller bag. United proud to fly the Chicago Bears in you two. So let's listen in to the status at Hollis with the head coach Matt Eberfluse as he investigates what potential changes might be in store for the Bears in advance.
Speaker 2: Of the kickoff against the Packers.
Speaker 1: All right, thanks very much Matt for joining us once again. How you feeling today?
Speaker 6: Okay, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: I imagine not an easy day this week at Hallis Off for you and your staff as you contemplate some some tweaks, some changes to your offense and and how it operates moving forward.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think it's important that you take the time to do that process, you know. And again, we're we're all disappointed in the last three weeks. We know that, But what's the what's the solutions and the answers uh to you know, moving forward? And what's best for the Bears, you know, and not only what's best for the Bears, what's best for our offense, what's best for the for the quarterback, what's best for the defense, what's best for special teams? And and again we're in the process of doing that. And again we've got to find some answers here. You know, we're playing some good football teams coming up, We've got our division starting, so it's it's important we get that done this week.
Speaker 1: And it's easy to just make rash decisions in a moment, right, Uh, you got to gotta temper your own reactive nature.
Speaker 2: Everybody does. Everybody has that, and then you know, kind of take a very thoughtful process.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's got to be thoughtful.
Speaker 7: It's got to be what's best for everybody and what's best moving forward? And uh, you know, I know a lot of times you know, a tweak here and a tweak there is good and uh, and it can you know, it can be you know, improved with just that much. And I think it's important that we we look at it that way, and you know, going forward, there's going to be adjustments and changes because we need to get better.
Speaker 6: As a football team.
Speaker 1: Is it's almost like being a car mechanic, to be honest, you're a car mechanic right now.
Speaker 2: Bring in the car.
Speaker 1: Hey, it's just not running right. There's something you know, the engine doesn't run right or whatever. And it's not just like swapping out four tires.
Speaker 7: You got to look at the engine right and you know, and you you make that analogy, and I think it's a good one. But you know, there is evidence on tape that we have played good football. We have played good compmentary football offense, defense and kicking, and our offense has scored a bunch of points, you know, uh, in consecutive weeks.
Speaker 6: You know, so it's it's it's there.
Speaker 7: We just got to make we got to find that winning formula and uh and get back to that, you know, And and and not only get back to that, but improved from that. You know, it's got to be an ongoing process through the rest of the season, and you know there's going to be tests, and there are going to be adversities come up, and you know, playmaking and putting guys in position are going to be at a premium going forward. And that's where it is right now.
Speaker 1: One of the biggest things is the protection obviously, or how it's handled from the quarterback to the offensive line of the backs, tight ends, wide receive, whatever the case may be. You're you're going to keep experiencing that. Right They're going to load up extras on the line of scrimmage and make you figure out a way to stop it. Is that the quickest problem solve to get the offense back running at a smooth level.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, it's always important that when you know defenses crowd you up up front, that you you know you have things to get over the top, and you know those are things that you can do that multiple ways and multiple designs. But again, that's an important thing to do because you know, defenses in this league, you know, if they see something that's working, they're going to keep running it.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 6: So that's that's an important that we find answers for that.
Speaker 1: And like you you told me and Tom Sun after the game, I talked about the offensive line and I'm paraphrasing, but it's like a puzzle right now. You don't know what pieces are healthy week to week in game so many times as has happened, but nobody cares. You know, opposing team is not gonna care about that. You just got to figure it out somehow, some way. And but you're really you're rigga digging in deep to your depth.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, we have.
Speaker 7: We have done that during the course of the year. We started out the year pretty solid, you know, with uh, you know, a little bit of injury here and there, but you know, for the most part, you know, we've had some guys shuffle in there and shuffle out, you know, so we just hopefully we'll find some guys back, you know, this week, you know, based on injury and based on how they practice, uh, And we're hopeful that way.
Speaker 1: And so you meet so many times with Caleb and have that relationship with him, you would be the first to know if there is any concern about what a lot of quarterbacks, young quarterbacks if they get hit a lot, sometimes they start seeing go. So I'm not saying he is. I'm just saying you think about David Carr. I think about David Carr all the time. In his rookie year and as an expansion quarterback he was. It's so many times it likely affected his career. How do you make sure that doesn't happen?
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, it's just I know that I do know this that you know, Caleb is confident, he has confidence in the in the guys around him, and uh, you know, he's he's in his rookie year and he's learning as he's going. And again we're looking for improvement from him and for our offense and really for our whole football team.
Speaker 1: All right, So even though things didn't light up on the scoreboard, there's always something positive. As you say, when you watch the tape, what are some things offensively? You feel there is there, there's evidence of building on after these last couple of yuys.
Speaker 7: You know, I showed and I showed the guys the first part of that game, you know where you know, we did some really good things. You know, we went three and out on defense. Uh, you know, we end up you know, having that great pump return which is which is a flip the field type of play. And you know, then on offense, you know, we ran the ball uh effectively when we did run it, and uh, we got to stay to that, you know, and there were some tight window throws you know, to in uh you know, to roam there were some tight you one of the throws DJ, there were some good throws in there.
Speaker 6: And again we just got to be more consistent with that.
Speaker 7: And then when we get into the scoring zone, you know, when we get to that kick line and the scoring zone, we got to do a really good job of of course, we're not trying to kick field goals. We're trying to score touchdowns, and we have to do a good job of maintaining that kick line. You know, if we're on that kick line, so we have at least come away with.
Speaker 1: Three so that the bummer body like the field position was so good. That's an enviable moment early in that game. You know it four times or three times.
Speaker 7: You had the interception also, you know, so that that to me is copmentory football. And I showed the guys that those three sequences there to start that game. So again that's Uh, that's playing cop meentary football. We just got to cash it in there.
Speaker 1: Let's look defensively, how did you guys in your opinion, whether the absence of a big bill inside there's such a presence.
Speaker 7: As we've discussed, our goal is three to nine average. We were four to one, so we were close to it. We ended up having a couple of one. Is that that that came to there? But for the most part, we kept the cup. We kept the big cup, you know, so we didn't have big explosives there, and uh, it was better. It was better overall. I thought the guy stepped up in there in terms of the d tackles, played solid pickings, you know. Uh, BC played well, you know, so we just got to continue.
Speaker 6: To do that play We don't. I know, we play a lot of guys, but we have to play well and be consistent there. And I thought it was better yesterday.
Speaker 2: But you like playing a lot of guys though at the same time, right, yeah.
Speaker 8: I do.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And I really think Booker's coming on if you watch him and the way he's playing. Really excited about him, the way he's playing the run game, and the way his passion and energy and his strike is really and he was really close on a sack too, so his development's really coming along.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mentioned him because he sticks out like the violence which he plays with. Like you said, he there's no quit in him. He's always showing up somewhere. Maybe he didn't finish the play sometimes, but that's coming.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 7: And I also so pointed out, you know, Kyler Gordon coming back first, coming back, and he really played a nice game, you know, in terms of his reaction, in terms of his you know, playing the run, playing in the past. You know, I really think that, uh, you know, he really came back in good shape and in a good way.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: And the ones, you know, I talked to Elijah Hicks after the game. It's kind of the first time I've talked to him since he's been here. What a what a nice, nice young man, and his very thoughtful approach to the outcome of that game. And and you know, having that interception right there in your hands. These things are and that was in the end zone. I'm sure Bayer thought he had one. Those could have made a difference in the game as well. The ones you didn't finish, yeah, there's no doubt.
Speaker 6: And you know, and then in the pocket.
Speaker 7: You know, we thought we gave you know, gave away a couple of sacks just you know the other day too, I think we could have had some strip sacks in there. But again, those are big play moments, you know for a football team, you know, when you set the field there, get those takeaways on a short field, those are always always big time moments.
Speaker 1: Okay, we can talk special teams real quick. Uh you mentioned the dayan Ray Carter. He seems to always come up with some some good play and in his opportunities. What'd you think of the day for Tory Taylor with the wind being so unpredictable yesterday, I'm sure that impacted everybody because you never knew where it was coming from, at what time of the game, the gusts. I could feel him in the booth out of nowhere, like that was the day yesterday.
Speaker 7: It was real, It was real, and it was you know, flipping the field and getting you know, field position was at a premium. You know, Tory has done a really good job this year when he was when it has to cut it against the wind or lay it up there, you know, you know, you know, going with the wind also, and he did a really good job of managing that, you know. I know, I think he figured it out really fast, you know, after that first pun of his But he did.
Speaker 6: A really nice job.
Speaker 2: Those are great learning tools for him for the rest of his career here.
Speaker 6: You know, so I think came and Cairo in there too.
Speaker 7: You know, the expertise and the knowledge that Cairo has of soldier field is is is unmatched. And I think that having his experience there helps him too.
Speaker 1: All Right, it's a roll up the sleeves, dig in kind of moment. Green Bay Packers next. Uh, I know you're focused on taking care of your own house right now, not not worried about what they're doing.
Speaker 2: But off the buy, we we know what they are.
Speaker 1: I mean, let's just took like it from a one one new angle is a new defensive coordinator that we haven't facing, Jeff Haley.
Speaker 2: What do you know about where he approaches the game and what you might expect that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but you know, I've seen some crossover games with our opponents very sound, you know, a little bit different structure. You know, plays a shell but also will drop in and play some single high and you know it has it has a pretty good butitz package too, you know, and I know if they did a good job of taking the ball away and that's a that's an important part for them, So we have to do a really good job of protecting it, you know, locking up the football. So again, so it's uh, in an offensively.
Speaker 2: Obviously they're gonna run.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they're they're.
Speaker 7: Explosive, you know in the run game and obviously the pass and they they're they're one of the top five offenses in the league, you know. So they got a really good skill you know, in terms of their new runner and the uh, you know, the skill set at receiver, and you know, it's gonna be a big challenge for us, and we're excited to have been soldier field.
Speaker 1: All right, Jessh Jacobs the running back you're referring to, all right, good luckily did prepped this week.
Speaker 6: You got it.
Speaker 1: Thanks, thank you, mat Tom. I think it is important you said it before going into this interview. There are things they do well. You can't dismiss the entire first nine weeks of the seasons as a failure. Absolutely not. You're a sub five hundred team at the moment, but the whole season's there before you. So taking his time gonna figure out what's the best plan of attack. Everybody knows it has to get better. Everybody knows they got to get more points on the board. Everybody knows Caleb's got to protect himself and the team has to protect Caleb. Coaches have to figure out the game plan to protect Caleb better and face what they're going to continue to face. How are they going to diffuse the bomb? The bomb is the blitz. The bomb is a six man protection needed sometimes seven, sometimes a nice stunt that gets home. Everybody is putting the pressure on the Bears until they stop it. And that's really what you've been pointing out week after week after week, and they're going to continue to see it until they stop it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So the point of emphasis there is then we talked about. Is it passes out of the hand quickly of Caleb to all the dynamic receivers the Bears have. Is it getting back to running screens that can deceptively be run against multiple multiple people pressure at the line of scrimmage. Is it the type of trapping and the interior blocking schemes that you can use against an opponent that wants to be over aggressive at the line of scrimmage and those are all those things are going to be investigated by the coaching staff and you know, and to see what best suits the Chicago Bears right now.
Speaker 5: So that's what I said.
Speaker 4: This isn't something that they cannot do, and they just have to fold their tents and show up week by week.
Speaker 5: And even again.
Speaker 4: Going back to DeAndre, paying attention to the detail during practice, make sure that you don't have those pre snap penalties, whether it's false starts or whatever, that comeback to haunt you throughout it and take away an entire series. So if you can correct those types of issues, you're gonna be on at home the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 5: You're gonna be in command of the cadence.
Speaker 4: And if you have to simplify that, and I'm not saying simplify so much that the defense knows what you're doing, but simplified enough where you don't have pre snap movement penalties that come back to haunt the whole series.
Speaker 1: Hey, let's listen in to Deandres we have. I talked to him after the game on Marquee and he was great. He was great, understood the impact of what's coming up down the road. He's a guy that's been on two different teams in this division now, and he had plenty of good things to say at the podium.
Speaker 2: He spoke like a true leader. Let's listen in.
Speaker 3: I know what we do need to do as players, and let's execute better. That's what I do know.
Speaker 10: Yeah, Andrew, do you have a sense for why the offense has been so ritchitty since the bye weekend?
Speaker 8: Get much going consistently?
Speaker 3: Come down to detail execution things. That's all correctable. I guess we just need to execute better as a unit. It's tough when the position that we are in, when the defense and special teams you have been playing how they've been playing all year, and we can't really, you know what I mean, help them, guys. So we need to figure it out a way to you know what I mean, come out on the other side of that and uh be asset for this organization.
Speaker 10: Is it concerning to you that when we've talked to you about you many players throughout the year, that it's been the same thing where it's talking about details execution since we've won.
Speaker 4: That's the answer we've been given for some of the things that have gone wrong.
Speaker 10: Is that a concern nine weeks ten weeks in now.
Speaker 3: But that's still a problem for sure, because at the end of the day, we uh, everybody's here to do a job and we want to produce and we want to all play together. We want to play well together. So it's not clicking.
Speaker 5: This is dead.
Speaker 3: But at the end of the day, it really comes down to execution and detail. But it does get tiring of saying the same things over and over again. So just got to and I mean, everybody just gotta do their job.
Speaker 2: What do you see when you get the film.
Speaker 3: I just feel like everybody can be a little bit more intentional in the work, take a little bit more pride and the detail and the focus that that goes into it, the preparation that goes into it throughout the week. So when come game time on Sunday, is execution because we've seen it on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. So I feel like that's where we can grow and get better. First and foremost, it starts on Wednesday.
Speaker 10: When you're during the game yesterday, when you see the score and you see the struggles you guys are having, you look at alongside you, you see DJ, you see Keen and you see Call, you see Rome, See what's going through your mind? That collection of guys isn't putting up the points.
Speaker 8: It's frustrated.
Speaker 3: It's frustrating just to I'm not gonna sit up there and talk about the talent and all that that's that's on the offense, because everybody sees that on paper. But we got to do a job as as us collectively of finding a way to showcase that on the field, which we have a great opportunity ahead of it. That was the last game we played in the season, so we'll blessed with another opportunity to go out there and go to work.
Speaker 10: Are you worried at all about what this is doing with to Caleb seeing him sad as much as he isn't going through.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, I continue to uh talk to him and try to help lead in any way I can. No, he ain't phased at all. I know he's gonna gonna learn from everything, which which we all need to do. You can always learn, can always be better. But I know he gonna learn from everything that he needs to learn from and continue to work.
Speaker 9: And it's the frustration of thinking that you guys should be better than you are with the reality that rookie quarterbacks are rookie. You know sometimes things you know are gonna take.
Speaker 3: Him yeahs and flows throughout the NFL season, I said, that wasn't the last game of the season that we played. Could we have had that? What we want that one back? For sure? We have another opportunity, a great opportunity this week. It's the visional opponent. So if you got any ounce of competitive bone of your body, you should. It's a show.
Speaker 1: He's in your camp, Tom, find the things that work, and let's do him better. Let's let's be laser focused at practice. He's putting himself in that category and everybody in that category. So you know, players, players, the players want to lead. Well, players got to then lead on the field and practices as well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, I really like what I heard out of DeAndre Swift today.
Speaker 4: I mean I have a whole new respect for him because I haven't heard him much on the difficult situation that he was facing at the podium today, and he stood up there and spoke like a true leader on this football team. But you know, the whole thing of being layers are focused in practice and in meetings and walk through to make sure that mentally you're.
Speaker 5: On top of the game and everything.
Speaker 4: That's but you know, you may even have to pick up the tempo of practice and give them more because I know that nowadays with the collective Bargaining Agreement, you don't have the luxury of being in pads, so you're not really out there beating each other up. You can't afford to do that at this late stages. But if there's a more of a realistic tempo to practice and you get an understanding at the speed of the receivers and their location according to the passes called things like that could help the timing of Caleb and we're talking about speeding up the process of the passing game to take away a little bit of the pressures.
Speaker 5: Maybe that's something that you have to invest.
Speaker 4: A little bit of energy in to get more realistic in the timing of what you see on Sunday?
Speaker 2: Would that help the offensive line?
Speaker 1: However it may be constructed against the Packers based on injury and availability, Would that help the offensive line the most?
Speaker 5: One hundred percent?
Speaker 4: It does every segment, every facet that you're that you're a part of, the speed of the game helps you. And like I said, I'm not talking unrealistically about going out there and punishing themselves during the week so they don't have it on Sunday. It's about making sure things move a little bit faster in front of your face. So you know how to adjust athletically. You know how to adjust when you have combination blocks, whether you know wherever they may happen. And if you see a faster pace of pressure, you gotta put the idea in the head of everybody that's involved that, Okay, I need to get this ball out of my hand three quarters of a second faster in the game, and if you present that in practice, you get a better understanding of what that timeframe really is.
Speaker 1: According to the Next Gen Stance the NFL Stance Service, Caleb his time to throw was two point seven nine seconds. That was the worst since weeks one and two, facing the teams he faced then. So yeah, that's not a lot of time, obviously, but enough time to get the ball out if you know where you're going with the ball.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Exactly, I one hundred percent agree with you, and I'm glad you brought that up because if you take what that average time is and then let's take the five completions to Keenan Allen, and let's look at the time that the ball was out of his hands and those completions, and I bet you it changes significantly from that two point seven.
Speaker 5: Nine or nine seven.
Speaker 1: It is crazy that when you put it in those terms, just how quick two point seven nine seconds is or three seconds? But that's that's a football play and but it is. It is a snapshot though, of just how challenging it is, especially when they when you know they're coming, you know they're bringing blitz. Is they got blitz more than any other game this season forty eight point eight percent, highest of any Bears opponent this season. So you know, pages are going to be taken out of this playbook again until the Bears solve it right and are these are things they're they're tasked to do. Here have a new or gently used coat land around Head to your local jewelasco until February tenth and donate one of your new or gently used coach to the thirty sixth annual Chicago Bears Coat Drive.
Speaker 2: Helped keep Chicagoans warm this winter. Also, speaking with TJ.
Speaker 1: Words, he had a very nice game yesterday with thirteen tackles to lead the team, had the interception that was thrown right to him by Drake may Uh. And he's always a picture of of of leadership and maturity and common sense when he takes the podium as well, and when asked simply about how to get better, it's the same thing you and I have been talking about.
Speaker 2: It comes down to that. In the NFL, it's about execution. Let's listen.
Speaker 11: In more to t J Edwards, I thought our prep was good and everything like that, but it was you know, to that point to where you know we didn't we didn't create that juice, right. It's it's either us getting to take away or kind of getting a rhythm on the other side, and it's all it's everyone together, right.
Speaker 8: It's never a one sided thing with that aspect.
Speaker 6: But I do I do.
Speaker 11: We all acknowledge it as something that we want to continue to focus on and at the end of the day come in especially at home. You know, someone's got to make a play to get things going, and uh get that head in the right direction for sure.
Speaker 10: TJ is the snowball effect of the last three weeks, Like still from all out of the hail Mary, and all of that is it's something else.
Speaker 8: I mean, I just don't work. You know, we're not executing I think from top, top to bottom. You know, we've seen that.
Speaker 11: We know that's it's not to our standard what we've done, no one's you know, I think a loss is a loss in the NFL, and all of them are. All of them are tough, right, whether it's the Hail Mary or this last one or Arizona, it's kind of that's kind of how that goes. And all we can do is figure out a way for it to look better going forward, like we have to. There's a there's a sense of urgency and we understand that. But that's one thing that I know can't happen is getting hung up on what went wrong and uh not being able to move on.
Speaker 8: So I know it's gonna be a good week of prep for us, for sure. When you've been on.
Speaker 3: Teams before, whether in the NFL or in college, that have gone through maybe stretches of losses, like what what worked to get on the right track again?
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think, especially in our in this league, accountability huge and I think I'm truly understanding, you know, whether it's whether it's you not have an understanding of what's being asked of you or if you know, because you can kind of take I think what we've what we've kind of seen is you can kind of take a you know, maybe you just miss a tackle or something like that. Right, it happens and that, but you know, being in the wrong spot and those things or something that we always want to make sure we're on top of. So it's getting those things fixed up so we don't beat ourselves. That's the the biggest thing in this league. Everyone's too good too. If you hurt yourself, it's going to be a longer, a longer down for you. So we're just trying to look at everything we can to get this thing going. We're we're excited for this opportunity. It's a it's a big one. It's an exciting one. Uh, it's going to keep unplugged.
Speaker 10: We heard a lot about accountability obviously after the Washington game. Yeah, a lot about it last week. What can you guys do to make it different this week? Because I imagine it was a point of emphasis last two. So what do you how do you figure out a way to actually make it stick this week?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 11: You know, I think it's it's player coach communicating with each other in terms of maybe what we need and what they see and getting on the same page with that. But it's it's such a thing in this league that if you're off by a little bit right, you get beat, or if you're off by a little bit, you're you know, the drives extended, or it's it's a three and now it's it's such a small.
Speaker 8: Margin for air that we have to be on top of every single detail.
Speaker 11: And you know, it's one thing to say it, and it's one thing to you know, give it the speech and that in that sense, but we got to go and show that we're understanding it and that we're we're correlating those meetings and a walk through to the field on Sunday because that's that's really what we are.
Speaker 8: That's our resume, right.
Speaker 1: Players like Swift and Edwards and Comet in previous weeks and many others on this team. It does, It does give you a slice of insight into a calm approach because you can't be wigging out here. It's still a team that has won four games. It's a team that has again I'm gonna emphasize the whole season in front of them. They can make a lot of noise if they pull this thing back together. They've shown that they can. And I don't care who you play and what where everybody's ranked defensively, it doesn't matter. That's just a bunch of math, because as we know, each and every week in the league, you can stub your toe each and and every week, somebody's going to upset somebody. Each and every week, somebody is going to win a game they shouldn't. But if as long as you stay focused and just take one at a time, all these coaching cliches you can come up with, you can turn the direction of this thing on a dime as quickly as it's turned in the negative way.
Speaker 5: In a dime, Oh no doubt about it.
Speaker 4: And you know, DeAndre Swift was a great example of leadership at the podium, and so was TJ. Edwards, And I think both of those guys realize if you got into the auditorium before a team meeting and there was no head coach standing in front of you, you'd have to realize that the guys sitting in the seats are going to be responsible for this thing getting better for this thing getting turned around, because no coach is ever going to be in a stance during the course of the game.
Speaker 5: Pay attention in meetings.
Speaker 4: The effort that you give mentally and physically in practice is going to reflect and the results on a Sunday.
Speaker 5: So TJ and DeAndre Swift.
Speaker 4: Are a great example of leadership, and I think they stood up there and talk about the importance of concentrated work, ethic and effort during the course of this week and every week to follow.
Speaker 1: We're brought to you by PNC Official Bank of the Bears and tastes like Middle Time Celebrate Responsibly, Miller Brewing Company, Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Ninety six calories and three point two carbs per twelve ounces. Time four the Geico brings you more football stat of the Day. Interesting eleven teams three and six in the NFL through Week ten. Pretty rare that a third of the NFL has playoff hopes that are flickering. And it's only early November, approaching mid November. But and in the history, only nine teams have come back from three and six. Has nothing to do with the Bears record, it's.
Speaker 6: Just a stay.
Speaker 1: But since nineteen ninety so not many five teams have been three and six and made the playoffs since the wildcard expansion in twenty twenty. They include, and I'm just using this as a reference, the twenty three Packers, the twenty three Rams, the twenty two Jaguars, and the twenty one Eagles, all teams that you know, made noise in the playoffs significantly here in the last couple of years. So the Bears are in a better position at four and five and now take on their our tribal So let's dig into that a little bit. I don't know what you think of that stat. Somebody put it out there. I just thought i'd sent it your way. Tommy, Well, you know, you listen.
Speaker 4: To all those stats of the past and the different examples of teams what they're able to accomplish with the certain records.
Speaker 5: But we've been talking about this all season.
Speaker 4: This season does not start till until week eleven, that's right. I don't know how many times we have said that. Yeah, I can remember being in the viewing suite during any camp and the different people that would come and watch practice would ask that question about not records, but big games and all that. And each time we reference it doesn't really start until week eleven. And so when you bring up the topics and the different examples that you just brought up, here we are, man, We're ready to rock and roll. No matter what the record is. You still got the whole division to play. So I think there's some excitement still to come in the this NFL season. There's still some excitement to come for this Bear season.
Speaker 1: Let's find out what they're truly made of. I mean, what this team is truly made of. They believe in themselves. They believe that they've got talent to get the job done. Coaches believe in the players. Players believe in themselves. That's significant. And don't look at this as a big mountain you have to climb right now. All you got to do is climb that little bunny hill right now.
Speaker 2: It's the Packers. That's it. Week one.
Speaker 1: Don't look at the entirety of the schedule because in reality, there's a bunch of teams in this league still trying to punch their way into what they really are. Some are not, some already know who they are. The Kansas City Chiefs haven't played high level football. They're winning games. They know how to win they've told everybody by how they play, they know how to win, and it's a whole different bunch of reasons why. But the rest of the league is just still trying to figure out what they are or what they are at this point, and that includes the Bears, and so whatever changes appear to be coming, we don't know what they are as of this taping. Hopefully they look at under the microscope and the way that is constructive, productive, and that players are going to be put in a position to win.
Speaker 4: Alls I'm looking for is a confident Bear football team walking off the practice field on Wednesday, feeling good about the effort they just put out there and going, Okay, let's take the momentum of this Wednesday practice and turn it into a Thursday practice. Be efficient, be smart at the line of scrimmage, make the right decisions, work at a speed that is relatable to the speed of what you're gonna almost see on a Sunday. And if you can walk off those practice fields feel good about what you just left behind, that creates confidence inside the locker room. Then it increases a positive conversation inside the locker room amongst the players, and it has something build on in the meetings and stuff. So just start with a great Wednesday practice and feel good about walking off the practice field, and I think that'll do a lot for your mojo.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this question.
Speaker 1: Would a win over the Packers be bigger than a Hail Mary loss to the Washington Commanders for this football.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, of course, a division win against a team that's considered a good football team. You know, you look at the touchdown interception ratio between the two quarterbacks playing in this game. Jordan Love has thrown quite a few interceptions. So yeah, you go out there. Hey man, we just talked about ten seconds ago about the season doesn't start until week eleven, and here we are right back at that subject. You go out there and you beat the Green Bay Packers at home, in front of your home crowd. But all of a sudden, the narrative changes about the Chicago Bears and about the seriousness of the relationship in where they are in the division. So heck, yeah, man, give me that win, and I'll be the happiest bear walking out of that stadium.
Speaker 1: Blue crossing, blue shield of Illinois right here at home, driving access toward healthier communities through it all, let's dig in a little bit to before we give our Thursday preview, but let's look at the defense of the Green Bay Packers. Coach Flues intimated that's definitely a change with the new defensive coordinator there, Jeff Hafley right now, Rashan Gary and Kenny Clark two and a half sex zero sex respectively. However, they've got I think thirteen players that have combined for sacks, so they're getting a lot of production and they're taking the ball away.
Speaker 5: That's the only they only have twenty two as a team.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it's not like they have a guy up there that's almost reaching double digits, like when you see Cincinnati or what Hutchinson was doing in Detroit.
Speaker 2: And Trey Henderson, Boy, he's good and he there in Cincinnata.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yes, and.
Speaker 1: Against the Vikings and Lions in two big games they were home games. They trailed twenty eight to nothing against Minnesota and twenty four to three against Detroit. So again, I know we think of the Packers only through a bear's lens because of the streak of losses and the inability to knock them off on a consistent basis. But they're not humming either at a high level just yet, so there is opportunities here to make some noise. Now, offensively, you alluded to the quarterback turnover prone throws, no question about it. What does Jacobs look like in the back field for them, the former Raider versus what they had and the guy that did a lot of damage against the Bears over time. Now at the Minnesota Vikings and Aaron Jones, the difference in their styles. Is this more of a battering ram back in your opinion.
Speaker 4: The difference in the styles of the two backs, it's because of the quarterback. You think of what Aaron Jones did with Aaron Rodgers and how sometimes he could deceptively go through a play action fake and have a swing pass out.
Speaker 5: And also now.
Speaker 4: He's on the edge of the defense and he's he's running more in open space, where Jacobs he had to develop. He had to develop a battering ram style, a guy that could have multiple carries in the course of a game because he was playing with a struggling quarterback in his first stay with the Raiders. But now you're playing with a guy like Jordan Love who's not at the level of Aaron Rodgers, but he is playing a solid brand of football over the last couple of years. He doesn't really give you the versatility of Aaron Rodgers in terms of a pass catcher, a downfield weapon and not necessarily an our po guy but an outside zone type of player. But still Jacobs can do it all. I mean, he's a good, durable running back that's had success in the league because he's willing to have high double digit carries if they need it.
Speaker 1: Emmanuel Wilson has really come on well as a change up as well. They still have aj Dillon, but this running back has done a nice job. So stop of the run again, It's going to be a big, big part of this whole thing for the Bears defensively. All right, Well, that gives you a little sneak peek at what we're looking at. Got to dig in deeper for the Packers. Can't wait to the matchup. We'll have it for you starting at twelve POHT two on ESPN one thousand of the Bears Radio Network. Bears Fan Steinoffls is a PROMP partner of the Chicago Bears and this Bear season, Stein Officers is partnering with Special Spaces Illinois to create dream bedrooms for children battling cancer. For every false start by the Bears defense during a home game, Steinhoffels donates one thousand dollars to Special Spaces Illinois shop in store and online at Steinhoffels dot com. That's gonna do it for us, thanks to head coach. Thanks to Bears head coach Matt ebra Flus. For Tom there, I'm Jeff jonahak As always, thanks for listening everybody, and please subscribe now in the Chicago Bears official app apples, Spotify, YouTube, or wherever you get