Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Joe, Katty Armstrong and Jeckie and he arms Wrong yet to live from Studio C.
Speaker 2: See, we got a brand new month on our hands.
Speaker 1: Exciting as that. Here at the Armstrong and Getty Communications Compound, we.
Speaker 2: Are under the tudler Jibber general manager, the great, the flawed.
Speaker 1: He rolls to who's that greatest hitter of all time in Major League?
Speaker 2: BEZ ball fan for life for betting on bzbell is past.
Speaker 1: Oh he died.
Speaker 2: Yes, he died at the age of eighty eight, I think for somebody eighty three eighty three, which good news for him is he bet one thousand dollars it outlive Chris Christofferson, so that's a good payoff.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Wow, not appropriate. I just read a phrase I didn't know it. Let's see, I like throwing around the Latin when I can the mortuous, nil nissy bonum of the dead say nothing but good Nah. I'm more of a Jerry Seinfeld view of has enough of him anyway? Who are you to argue with latin? You know I have said this before and it's true. The biggest bias that occurs in the news industry is what you cover, and that's the one most people, I don't think get. What you decide to cover is the biggest bias, and so I try to bounce around on news. I try to be I think like a regular person might be, although I don't know how.
Speaker 1: Many regular people do that.
Speaker 2: I think maybe most people are either I only want to hear the democratic side of things, or I only want to hear the conservative side of things, so they just stick to their own news source. Anyway, if you were watching MSNBC today, for instance, you are completely unaware of this longshoreman strike, completely unaware it is even happening. If you watch Fox, it is the biggest story in the country. The biggest story in the country, Bigger than Israel going in on the ground, bigger than the debate tonight, is the longshoreman strike. What would be your guess as to why Fox made such a big deal out of it and MSNBC made such a small deal out of it. You have a guess Politically, well, not shockingly, I'm going to come at this from a conservative point of view, but I think it's universally agreed that this long shoreman strike, should it stretch beyond a very short period, will cause serious economic disruption.
Speaker 1: So it is absolutely a legitimate news story.
Speaker 2: I think the eagerness or hesitancy to cut it is all about your attitude toward organized labor. On MSNBC, the narrative of powerful union with members who make a lot of money, he's going to screw up everyday americans lives is not super attractive. Yeah, well, that's kind of the way I was wondering. If that's the case, it's unless there are some details I haven't heard yet. It looks like the dock workers, the long sherman are really on the wrong side of history on this all the way around. Their biggest sticking issue is absolutely no automation, No automation at all.
Speaker 1: You're going to put it in writing. Give me our.
Speaker 2: Jobs are going to be protected from technology forever. Give me a freaking break. Yeah, gitting up a lot of sympathy. Plus they're looking for something like a seventy seven percent raise. Yeah, they were offered. They were offered a fifty percent raise and turned it down. So I don't know how that plays for most of America. Either, you turn down a fifty percent raise. I'm making about twenty percent less because of inflation with zero rays. So right, like I say, jeitting up sympathy for that position is going to be well impossible.
Speaker 1: But the whole no automation.
Speaker 2: I understand why you want to fight that, because your job's going away. I know lots of people around here in the radio industry have lost their jobs automation.
Speaker 1: Tons of them.
Speaker 2: It's a thing, and it's it can suck. But man, this might be the first I don't know if it is or not, but on the leading edge of this getting a lot of attention because AI is going to be this all day long, all day long, every day, for every industry you can think of. Well, right, and unfortunately, the prairie dogs of Cubicle America don't have powerful unions and can't choke off commerce for weeks at a time and bring this country to its knees. I again, I get if I were in if I were running the union, I would do exactly the same thing. If I have the ability to pret tech my members' jobs for a little while longer, I think I'm gonna try to do it. But it's impossible to make the argument that that's better for the economy, that's better for American general, that's better for consumers, the only people. It's better for those guys with those jobs.
Speaker 1: But they can. I sympathize. I would try to do the same thing.
Speaker 2: But nobody is on your side, fellas no now trying to hold on to an antiquated way of doing things. Sorry, ain't gonna work. You're striking against cars as blacksmiths because you want to keep shoeing horses. I just it just ain't gonna happen. And we can't compete with China and whoever else if we still got human beings unloading ships with their unbelievably generous time off and healthcare packages and four oh one k and everything like that. I was just reading that in the Wall Street Journal. Good lord, I wish I had that deal. I should have been a longshoreman. But we can't compete against the rest of the world. We still got human beings unloading ships and everybody else's got it automated, right, Yeah, yeah, of course it could be argued that a lot of our automation was made in China and has spy wear and kill switches and god knows what else. Probably small pox spewing tanks in the board ready to do their evil bidding.
Speaker 1: So they think it's last part was kind of made up. Don't panic size.
Speaker 2: They think it's going to cost the economy about five billion dollars a day while the strike's going on. But as you said, it's the After a few days, it becomes a supply chain problem super fast. If we all remember the pandemic, whence the supply chain gets messed up, it takes a long time to straighten it back out. There are already ships parked out in the ocean that we're supposed to unload, and then they'll start backing up and you'll start seeing things not on the shelves, and we know how that goes if it lasts very long. I don't think they got any leverage. Thirty six ports are closed. I just saw up on the television. Wow, that that is seriously a problem. Though the whole no automation ain't going to happen. Yeesh AI is going to cause that for paralegals, not just doc workers, for for for budges. You can't come up with enough names of industries that AI is going to do this too. Sure, Yeah, yeah, and it's going to be an uncomfortable future. I still maintain and if this is self declownment, I will readily admit it on the air. If I am no longer on the air, I will write a personal letter to each and every one of you. Clown I am. I am of the mind barely because this is so not me. I think AI will be the technology that reduces employment, doesn't grow it.
Speaker 1: Oh, I think so too.
Speaker 2: Famously, the lad Heights of the world have vowed that about every development technology throughout the ages. But it's actually grown economies and created more opportunity than it's taken away.
Speaker 1: But AI, I wonder.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hum, So you think the reason it's not going to covered on the lefty channels is because they ain't in a winning position.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: It makes organized labor look well indefensible. Oh yeah, you can'ty objective standard if you're gonna just do the top line demands. They turned down a fifty percent raise and are asking for it.
Speaker 1: Oh f them.
Speaker 2: Most people are gonna say, yeah, so yeah, I think so that's the way that works. They got a debate tonight. I wonder if that topic will come up in the debate. Be interesting to see how that plays out, how Walls reacts. Joe Biden is refused to enact the Taft Tartly Law, where he can jump in if there's a big giant national strike that's affecting commerce and safety and all kinds of different things, he can jump in and tell him you.
Speaker 1: Got to go back to work. But he says he's not going to go. He's a good old union Joe, old straightened Joe, not going to do it.
Speaker 2: I just hope the dock workers will remain polite and well spoken and gentle as their reputation holds through the years. I believe we're working on getting some clips of some of those genteel folks, even if we speak. I did hear a gentleman using foul language this morning, and I didn't improve what.
Speaker 1: A dock worker.
Speaker 2: Uh, we should start the show officially. I'm Jack Armstrong, He's Joe Getty on this. It is Tuesday, October. First, the rents do there.
Speaker 1: It's too damn high.
Speaker 2: You know, they used to be kind of a joy, but now it's just one hundred percent true. I saw a political ad the other day. Uh, I don't know if it was just for California or nationally. But it was a whole string of regular people on the street saying the rent is too damn high.
Speaker 1: The rent is too damn high. I bring the rent too damn high. That was the whole ad. And it is it's too damn high.
Speaker 2: I know mine is. Anyway, it's October first, twenty twenty four. We are armstrong and getty, and we approve of this program. All right, let's rock into October officially according to CC rules and regulations, here we go A one two three four mark two to.
Speaker 1: One bit from Shall.
Speaker 2: Rotop four thousand, one hundred and ninety.
Speaker 1: Two baseball's all time hit. Later, Pete Rose.
Speaker 2: They had a quite a discussion on NPR today about Pete Rose, the baseball player whose heyday was in the seventies, so you got to be a certain age to have actually experienced it, about how he was such an American icon, represented America, became sort of the face of America for a lot of people sports wise.
Speaker 1: I thought that was interesting.
Speaker 2: I'd never really thought of that before because of the whole working class Charlie Hustle thangy yeah, which I thought he also was a kid, Yeah he was. He worked like a maniac and played harder than anybody else. He was not a prima donna by any stretch. How come nobody else has adopted the sprint to first when you walk thing? Because I thought that was so cool as a kid.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't remember. I don't think anybody else has ever done it. If he walked, he would sprint to first instead of which is the way he went. Well, they call it a walk. You could argue he was a little nutty. In fact, it's inarguable that he was a little nutty as part of what made him great, right, and he enjoyed the challenge of prognosticating future baseball results.
Speaker 1: Does that make him a bad guy?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't want to get into that again, but I think it's weird if you're going to have a Hall of Fame that talks about baseball records, but you don't have the guy that's gotten the most hits and the guy that's hitting the most home runs in there. I don't know exactly what you're doing, but fine, well he will. He will go in the Hall of Fame. Now I can practice.
Speaker 1: Now that he's dead. Well, he was banned for life. Well, and you're so.
Speaker 2: Your argument is he's no longer alive. Yeah, an clime ban ends when you're no longer alive. It's right in there in lifetime. It's right in there lifetime. Well, yes, yes, there's no joke to be made.
Speaker 1: It was exactly what it means. They just didn't want to give him the satisfaction.
Speaker 2: I should violated the inviolable law gambling on your own sport.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I ever met Pete Rose or not. I should have though.
Speaker 2: If I didn't, I should have gone to Vegas sometime when he was just an old fat man sitting at a card table outside of casino and you know, paid for a baseball, shook hands with him as Michael.
Speaker 1: My nephew got his autograph two months ago.
Speaker 2: Oh cool, yeah, oh wow, there you go. I have him claim it was Pete's last autograph. I got Pete's last. He keeled over internet. He just heat finished the e and then he was just right there on the floor. How does mailbag look? That's fine, it's good clever. It's on the way and our text line is four one five two nine five KFTC. For some reason it being uh, October on my watch when I looked at it today was striking just wow. So we got three months left in twenty four and then it's twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: What the hell? The math checks out.
Speaker 2: Once in a while that happens, just just like, how how are we a quarter of a century into this century already? I know we need to recheck the numbers or tap on the glass to see if the machine is working correctly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: And there's something about October. It's the final quarter of the year. It's unquestionably the fall. Something about it feels very transitional in a way. That's well, if you have kids in school, I guess September holiday season is looming because you can feel Halloween, which leads into Thanksgiving in Christmas, and yeah, all.
Speaker 1: That is sterness in the face.
Speaker 2: Well, you're celebrating Halloween if you're a Satan worshiper. I am not. Here's your freedom loving Court of the Day, interrupting our series from Huxley because Jeff and hogs Nipple, Tennessee boy hit hard by the hurricane, passed along this from Friedrich Hayek, which I absolutely love. Teachers, journalists and other second hand dealers in ideas appoint themselves as representatives of modern thought, as person superior in knowledge and moral virtue to any who retain a high regard for traditional values. There isn't much cachet in affirming traditional values. Challenging them is much sexier. That's why every teenager does, which is fine. It's all right to passage when you got to numbskulld Adults doing it well into their thirties, forties, sixties, et cetera. It's pretty annoying. Mailbag Woo woo drops note mail bag and armstrong you getty dot com loyal listen. Robert sent along this note along with a helpful link. Is the title of his email, speeking people in their forties and above.
Speaker 1: You might recognize the joke. S'mod is that you?
Speaker 2: It's me Roberts take off on a very famous piece of the youth literature of the past. He's talking about the sweeten year of death. There is We're going to have a second moon for seven days on Earth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I heard that. It is a meteor. It's a rock the size of a school bus.
Speaker 2: It's going to kind of connect and stay in orbit for a couple of months and then you know, cut loocive orbit because of various astrophysical mathematical realities, and then go on, it's merry way. They had a joke about that on Saturday Alive. I thought was hilarious. You didn't think it was funny, Michael. Michael picks the funny jokes from Sorry I Live. You didn't like the moon joke. It's okay, all right, Hey, you never know, one of those NASA folks, Robert Wrights, might have been a DEEI higher. They forgot to carry the one on a calculation. Blammo, election day cancel because the rock the size of a school bus slams into a swing state as Trump was saying, something nutty.
Speaker 1: Could happen.
Speaker 2: Their joke was something like, the new slim moon is going to make the old Moon really look like a fat ass.
Speaker 1: Wow. Wow. I didn't like it either, Michael. You're Jared and Missouri.
Speaker 2: On the topic of the perils of AI, there's a constant theme in literature of humanity destroying itself with its creations, from Frankenstein to the Matrix and hundreds of other stories. You're quite right, good reason to fear AI, because, as we know it's not the AI exactly, but the inputs to AI that make it dangerous. I'm far more concerned about some rogue idiot inserting white males are the anime into the programming of Wardrones that I am about Skynet coming.
Speaker 1: For boy, No kidding, that's a good point. Let's see do we have time for this? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Great note from Bob n simple Jack, pork Shop and the Gang. I was listening to the Boys Falling Behind segment of Monday's show I'm a Dad to Two Boys seventeen nineteen. I've seen the demoralization of boys over the years. In the late seventies, when I was in middle school, we had metal shop, wood shop, auto shop. In our high school, we have none of those classes. There's no class to stimulate and attract our young men to use their hands to create and build, and physical education classes not a requirement. Seems like the goal of high school is to offer an easy path with easy classes to graduate. And they talked about every empowering TV commercial is about empowering women. Yeah, never dudes, and lots of classes that appeal to the feminine side, right, Yeah, that's rough, dang it. Come on in China, we're weak and effeminine, heartbreaking. We have a lot of news to catch you up on it's debate day, among other things, so stay with us, armstrong and getty. Kamala Harris released an eighty one page book outlining her economic policy because you know how women.
Speaker 1: Like to go on and on, and.
Speaker 2: Just wanted to bring that up because the eighty one page book that Kamala Harris put out explaining her economic policy before she gave her speech had eighty three mentions of Joe Biden in it, more mentions of Biden than there were pages, yet didn't mention his name once in her address that day, which most people found pretty interesting. I mean, that was worthy of being on every page, but not in the speech at all, with the assumption I think that nobody's ever going to read it. And she and she and her her running mate Tampon Trotzky tim are are just hammering the idea that she's the candidate of changed. We can't have anymore. We can't take another four years to this garbage. We need change, Kamala. You know. So we are five weeks from today from the presidential election, and we have a vice presidential debate tonight. But I had forgotten this, which to me means the Trump people aren't doing a good enough job. The fact that I forgot this, I was reaching reading Mark Calprin's morning newsletter like I usually do, and and on his list of things for both sides was the Harris Wall's ticket is the most liberal ticket the United States has ever had with a major party, which is clearly true. But I'd forgotten that, I think, and I think the fact that I've forgotten that is it's not being hammered enough. That should be the like, the only thing most people know this is the most liberal ticket we've ever had in our nation's history, which is it's actually true.
Speaker 1: That ought to be a never ending drum beat.
Speaker 2: You're right, but on Trump's improv comedy tour, he just see riffs on whatever he feels like at that moment.
Speaker 1: A little frustrating.
Speaker 2: Don't hit her for being dumb or mentally deranged or whatever. It's the most liberal ticket in US history. It's out of the mainstream that will win you the election. It's just undeniable. Trump is running a terrible campaign. He may still win because he's up against a terrible candidate, but it's a terrible campaign, awful. Jd Vance has been a lot more disciplined. I've been reading various bits of analysis about.
Speaker 1: What now.
Speaker 2: You got cat ladies, you got cat eating, that's your discipline. Wow, Wow, the two cats as it's big called boy.
Speaker 1: That's a good point.
Speaker 2: So a bunch of analysis about how Jad smart. He's a Wall Street guy who did a book tour. He debated a moderate but a truly liberal Democrat for the senescee blah blah, and then Wallas's debating skills.
Speaker 1: And it'll be fine.
Speaker 2: Bring it on, see if you can land any punches. I'll watch as long as I can stand it.
Speaker 1: Ninety minutes.
Speaker 2: But the Wall Street Journal, in their big preview ninety minute, I know that's enough for anybody.
Speaker 1: There won't be a single American watching that last half hour.
Speaker 2: I would have you didn't know, truer words never spake, sister, Yeah, I'd only have as the moderator, three prompts. All right, you say something really mean about him? All right, your turn, you say something really mean about him? All right? Well, all right now number two? Why is your candidate a good candidate?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: All right, now you all right, Number three, why is the other candidate a crappy candidate? All right, We're through here, everybody go back to your lives. Thanks for tuning in fifteen minutes.
Speaker 1: Max.
Speaker 2: How about CBS announcing the candidates will be fact checking themselves. One, that's what a debate is, so thanks for that. And two isn't that an acknowledgment that that what ABC did was a horror?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have not come across anybody defending ABC and David Muhr.
Speaker 1: What that woman is?
Speaker 2: I don't know if you have to watch many debates, it's not the job of the moderator to jump in and fact check people. Oh who That point they just tried to make was not a solid one and can be refuted on this basis.
Speaker 1: No, that's not what the moderator does. Oh, I hate David Muir and that woman, but they aren't doing it tonight. You have no name? She girl?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Oh, anyway, let me get to my point.
Speaker 2: So there's all this analysis of the comparative skills and you know, the possible tactics and blah blah. But then I get to this in the Wall Street Journal, what might Walls be asked about his handling the Minneapolis riots following the George Floyd thing, his management of the COVID nine pandemic, his exit from the National Guard, and the leftward shift in Minnesota politics and policies, and I thought, Wow, okay, that sounds pretty legit.
Speaker 1: What might Advance be asked?
Speaker 2: Vance will likely be asked about his twenty twenty one comment that the country is run by childless cat ladies and why he elevated a falsehood about Haitians in Ohio eating household pats the two.
Speaker 1: Cats doctrine Jack brought to our attention. Wow, so it's gonna be both the cat questions.
Speaker 2: He also might be asked to explain why in twenty sixteen he called Trump an idiot and compared him to Hitler, and why his late as twenty twenty he continued to be.
Speaker 1: Critical of him.
Speaker 2: So very little of that is about what policy would be when you're in office, and not a single damn syllable of it would affect the lives of Americans. No walls is like National Guard record or whatever. I get that being a story like when he first landed on the scene a month ago or whatever, but god dang it, I don't care about that anymore. At all mind, I.
Speaker 1: Could see taking shots.
Speaker 2: At him for being a serial resume patter, but no, I don't particularly it's it's not a pivotal issue. But I do think it's interesting that in the Wall Street Journals fantasy, perhaps most of the stuff about Walls is pretty relevant because it has to do with policy and track record, as opposed to the van stuff, none of which affects any Americans life in Iota unless you're I don't know, a pet store owner in Springfield, Ohio, and sales have gone down because people figure they'll buy the cat and then just get eaten anyway, So what's the point. Why why is this never a question in a debate? What's the role of the federal government? Mister Walls? Oh wow, how about that? Instead of digging into you said in twenty twenty one childless cat whatever, more Americans than ever and on the federal government for money?
Speaker 1: Why do you think that is? Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Just you know, that'd be interesting. So the New York Times is trying to lower expectations.
Speaker 2: They had an article yesterday about Tim Walls is so nervous, he's chewing his fingernails. He's never been in a debate like this before. He's new to the game of politics, which is a bit of a made up story, as he's been in politics for twenty years and debated a whole bunch of times, and really good on his feet, and I doubt he's the least bit nervous. A crock of crap that is yea. But yeah, lowering expectations quick note that I wanted to get on to my main point in bringing all of this to your attention. My habitations, my expectations are boredom.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Ninety minutes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, difficult to watch, continually reminding myself you have to pay attention, Joseph. You have to pay attention right scrolling through your phone checking out baseball scores. I kind of like this note from sideshow Bob. He's a speaker of truth. It's a seer of reality. It's funny seeing all the comments about Kamla not doing anything about the border is veep.
Speaker 1: As a side note, no effing fan of hers. Veeeps never do anything.
Speaker 2: In fact, the last one did exactly one thing I can remember, and y'all wanted to hang him for it.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's good, Bob, That is a good point. Yet that happens.
Speaker 2: Vice president's regularly run usually not let this, but they regularly run, and then they always have to all of a sudden act like they were consequential when they were just hanging around waiting for an international funeral for four years and well, and the reality of it is the job has no duties except breaking ties in the Senate and is famously just useless. It's a career killer. As often as this it is a career launcher. But Kamala and Joe absolutely flogged the notion for the last four years that she was the last person in the room. She was his closest advisor. She was the border zar or all right, the root causes zar. How's that going? And now it's about face that. No, she's the candidate to change, so it's all phony. But to have it both ways is a little annoying, and you want to stick it to them anyway. Here is my action at my actual point, after asking about the National Guard and cat ladies and Hitler, not a single word will be asked, probably about this Wall Street Journal opinion piece a Medicare election bribe for seniors. This story is admittedly complicated, but it's the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid services, touting in a press release that average Part D premiums will be declining by ninety dollars next year, while benefits will improve thanks to the Inflation Reduction Act and other new enhancements that actually cut funding for insurance companies who said they would raise premiums, which would depress benefits, which would cause the pharmaceutic companies to declare war on the pharmacies and something something, and our entitlement programs are utterly falling apart and built on fraud, top to bottom. Fraud and dishonest accounting is the part, is the point of this article. It's actually quite interesting. It's just very difficult to explain. Not a word on that we'll hear about child ass cat ladies. Well, it's always been true to a certain extent, and it's more true now than ever.
Speaker 1: We're more into.
Speaker 2: Like in the personality of the person than their stance on thorny issues things that affect our lives, right, yes, yeah, And for the record, having a cat or two does not make one a cat lady in my world. I thought we decided three was the over under three and a half. Yeah, three and yeah, three and a half is the over under. If you have three cats, you're definitely under cat lady suspicion. You tell me you got three cats, I'm in your house. I'm like, that's a that's a lot of cats. They're a fair number of cats. But four, yeah, what the hell cat lady? Now if you are a child in cat Lady, or what about cat lady whose kids are grown?
Speaker 1: What does JD.
Speaker 2: Evans have to say about that? You raise your kids, they're they're fabulous, good citizens, nice folks, honest, hard working, patriotic Americans.
Speaker 1: And now you have seventeen cats. I don't know you.
Speaker 2: Does Jdvans think you should not have a say you got that many cats? Me and my Haitian friend Harvier are getting up the cookbook.
Speaker 1: They're eating the dogs, the people that came in. They're eating outs. They're eating I want to they're eating I want to talk about live there.
Speaker 2: About medicare, and you two clowns with it. Never mind, you clowns. That's gonna come up early in the debate tonight, you know it is. And I'm gonna roll my eyes so hard it might get kids.
Speaker 1: Come help me. Dad's eyes are stuck again.
Speaker 2: The Haitian cat eating thing will come up early in the debate, don't you think first Yeah, maybe first fifteen minutes.
Speaker 1: Maybe first question. It might be the two cat doctrine. Yesh, God, oh God help us. We got a couple of wars going on.
Speaker 2: I hope there's some questions about that, and you see where everybody stands. And then the dock workers strike. I think that'd be a good thing to hear their opinions on. I don't know how Walls would handle that, because it seems to me that the Left is trying to ignore this dock worker story, so maybe CBS won't even bring it up. Anyway, we got some more other news to get into. You might not know about some of those things. We'll try to fill in the details. What did Joe Biden say yesterday when he was asked about the strike? What did you say yesterday when he was asking about Israel going in on the ground in Lebanon? Both of his answers were troubling.
Speaker 1: Bat care all on the way.
Speaker 2: I've noticed that with parenting, I've got a almost thirteen year old and a going on fifteen year old. You only think about this sort of stuff constantly, the whole parenting thing only constantly so, and not only for my own kids, but just for society in general. As much as we talk about it and it gets talked about, I still think it's underappreciated. The great change that had happened in the last twenty years of nobody walking around staring at the phone to everyone walking around staring at the phone is underappreciated. It's so ubiquitous and there's so little you can do about it that I guess, you know, why even talk about it. But that is the biggest change to humanity, maybe ever in a short amount of time. You know, the Industrial Revolution came on much slower than that, or lots of other things. The I think about it, maybe I think about it too much, Maybe I got a problem. Maybe I should see a therapist about this. But like, drive him by a bus stop and everybody's staring at their phone. I think then twenty years ago, they'd either been talking to each other or reading a book or thinking or something, but they wouldn't.
Speaker 1: Have been staring at their phones all the time.
Speaker 2: All the kids coming out of the high school and I pick up my son, everybody walks out looking at their phone. Four people walking out of the school together, all looking at their phone instead of talking to each other. It's just what an amazing change leading to this. I think this fits in this guy, Yanni Applebaum, who I don't actually know. He writes for the Atlantic, and it looks like his politics are not mine, but he's He's definitely right about this. Tweeted out and then got a whole bunch of responses to educators. This is about the incoming class of college freshmen all across America, and particularly at elite universities, but I'm sure it's the same everywhere. Teacher in Illinois told me that, Okay, I'll start with his large numbers of students arriving at highly selective universities are unprepared to read a book cover to cover because no teacher has ever asked them to do that before. That's his article in The Atlantic.
Speaker 1: Good Lord.
Speaker 2: And then the response is from teachers all across the country to this, saying, yeah, basically, here's a public high school teacher in Illinois who used to structure her classes around books, but now focuses on skills such as how to make good decisions and about leadership. Students read parts of the Odyssey and supplements with music articles and ted talks, but do not read.
Speaker 1: The entire book. Here's another one.
Speaker 2: That I like.
Speaker 1: The blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: During the fall twenty twenty two semester, when a first year student came to his office during office hours to share how challenging they had found the early assignments in literature humanities class. It required students to read a book, sometimes a very long and dense one, in just a week or two. But the student told the advisor that her public high schools she had never been required to read an entire book. This is somebody who got into an elite university. She had been assigned excerpts poetry and news articles, but not a book cover to cover, and found it quite daunting. Here's a Melville scholar at one of your fancy Pans universities who switched American literature on Melville from Moby Dick. They dropped Moby Dick and now read the short stories. One has to adjust to the times. The teacher said a number of professors told him for his Atlantic article that their students see reading books as similar to listening to vinyl records, something that a small subculture might still enjoy.
Speaker 1: But that's most relic of an earlier time in the blink of an eye, as you were describing, right right, Yeah, wow.
Speaker 2: So kind of similar to what you were saying earlier about AI might be the first time. I think it's going to be the first time that the technology advancement actually does away with a whole bunch of jobs and doesn't replace them with new jobs. I think this is one of these scares that is going to turn out to be true. The whole We did a thing a while back on all the things jazz was blamed for when jazz became popular music. Jazz was leading to promiscuous sex and economic problems and people couldn't read and blah blah blah. Everything was blamed on jazz. So all of the ideas to play in a jazz band, and I certainly hoped so, but my hopes were dashed.
Speaker 1: But lots of different changes in society. You're blamed for all kinds of things.
Speaker 2: This one the intention span staring at the phones, can't read a book is not good.
Speaker 1: This is not going to be okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the intellectual stuff bothers me, but I think it bothers me less than the connectedness stuff, the emotionals, the mental health stuff of not being connected to your peers, not laughing and joking and poking fun at each other and sharing your idle thoughts with each other.
Speaker 1: That one really bothers me. Yeah, I don't think it's going away. We have a lot more for you. I hope you can stick around.
Speaker 2: Moby Dick the Whale winds spoiler alert, Armstrong and Getty