Speaker 1: Native Lampod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 1: This is episode one hundred and twenty two of Native Lampod, where we give you our breakdown of all things politics and culture. I'm Angela Raie with my co host Andrew Gilliman Bacari sellers. Today we are joined by best selling author, journalists and certified social media thug new hosts of Flagrant and Funny with our dear sister Carrie Champion Jamail Hill, who is also.
Speaker 2: Host of Politics Podcast.
Speaker 1: As you all know, it's a part of our recent Choice Media network family.
Speaker 3: Jamel, Welcome, Mamas and lady.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm so excited to be able to join you guys because I am a listener and so you know, it's just like double judge.
Speaker 5: I've been waiting on my turn to jump in. I can double judge.
Speaker 6: It's been a long time coming.
Speaker 5: Like I just been waiting, it has been. It has definitely been a long time coming.
Speaker 3: And I think the last time I saw you, Bacari, I feel like we were doing CNN together.
Speaker 7: I think we had a week on the late night Late Night and.
Speaker 3: You as always uh sunning people as normal. So I enjoyed myself immensely, but happy to be with.
Speaker 5: Gets you everywhere with him.
Speaker 2: That's all he needs, That's all he needs.
Speaker 8: K you.
Speaker 5: I appreciate you welcoming me.
Speaker 2: We are so grateful to have you well.
Speaker 1: Andrews said his babies are on spring break, but car is worried about his baby's giving bad luck to the final four, but you know, we're gonna keep hope alive for the kids. And I just I want to tell you all we're thrilled to be here. I still am feeling very somber after Reverend Jackson's passing and hearing the full weight of everything that he's offered the world. And so it is our honor to try to continue at least part of his legacy and bringing truth to your homes, to your cars where you listen to our podcast. And right now it's time for us to jump into four years situational awareness. As Andrew and Baccari arrantly called FAIZA, that is a court for intelligence, the less serious, the top secret intelligence less serious. Four year situational awareness could also be very serious. And you are going to see right now the first clip. Actually it's the headline today from EPA to dj A. Recent Pro Publica report shows inherent conflicts between surprise, the Trump administration and several of its officials and the entities they are responsible responsible for overseeing and regulating in more than thirty two hundred financial disclosures. I encourage you all to go and look at this report.
Speaker 2: What y'all got on this?
Speaker 7: Are we surprised?
Speaker 8: I mean.
Speaker 7: The entanglements of the Trump administration.
Speaker 9: They are looting government, they are raiding government, and I actually just like the boldness of them.
Speaker 7: If the American people aren't gonna check them, I.
Speaker 9: Mean because and everybody else, everybody else in government was like the president's family stealing, I might as well steal too, Like you're not gonna be the only one to eat, so let me, let me get my little piece. I don't think we've seen grifters like this, and I just always giggle when they are so they talk about different cultures or communities, and we've talked about filing a community on this show, and how they label an entire community pirates because of they feel as that they're pillaging from one sector of government or not.
Speaker 7: And here you are just they still in public broad.
Speaker 5: I just want you to correct me if I'm wrong.
Speaker 3: This is the same government that told you that Snap recipients buying an extra box of Caprice was what was going to bankrupt everybody. I just want to be sure that I have this correct. This is that same government that if somebody else bought some Dorito's cool ranch flavor, it was gonna break everything. But it's totally fine for them to just openly rob the American taxpayers.
Speaker 5: I just want to make sure I got that correct.
Speaker 9: We haven't even talked about it. We're not talking about it today, but we haven't even talked about them crab legs.
Speaker 7: Oh where.
Speaker 5: When it is seven hundred each like what he said?
Speaker 2: He said, I got it. I got some old I got a little bit of over a budget.
Speaker 6: Left over for some books in my day.
Speaker 1: I just bombs and lobster tails. I mean, I mean, I just will never understand.
Speaker 3: So Clinda ain't going to Costco because you know, you get lobst tails the fat ones for like thirty bucks for like Costco.
Speaker 6: Spot up friend, well, shout out to Costco.
Speaker 1: It's a home based company who it's very conscious conscious and we expe appreciate Costco. If you ever want to advertise, go ahead and do that, because that was free. But the next one won't be. Now I'm speaking of free, let's talk about free love.
Speaker 2: Miami Center, Bomb out of Bayo Jay, this is your clip. You run it for us, tell us what's going on?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 6: Bam?
Speaker 3: Out of By you dropped eighty three points, and as many a fella has said across social media, this is exactly what you want to do when your lady comes see you play.
Speaker 5: Is drop eighty four points.
Speaker 3: Second most highest scoring output in a single game in NBA history, will of course being the first with one hundred points. Bams is now number two on that list. Kobe is number three. He had eighty one. Which it was the twentieth anniversary of that in January, I believe it was. And so a lot of love for Bam, a lot of love for black love because Bam gave a very passionate, heartfelt shout out to Ajia Wilson who did his press conference with him after the game, and it was very cute and very sweet. And it's just so ironic because Asia Wilson said that Love and Basketball she did not like the movie, and she's literally loving basketball right, Yeah, you.
Speaker 10: Now have the highest game among active players in the NBA. The person sitting next to you has the w NBA type for the WNBA scoring record and the most among active players in the WNBA. Just how do you both sort of process the events of this evening.
Speaker 11: Well, she's been gone for like a week, so she was complaining about how I got my ten thousand points and how she wanted me to wait so to have eighty three the first game she's here is very special. You know, the behind the scenes and the workouts and the conversations, they're very motivating, and obviously you see what she does and you get inspired every day by that. So I'm thankful to have her in my life.
Speaker 12: I mean, I see the countless hours that he puts in. I see the early morning workouts, the questioning the self that I see all that, and so for him to be thriving so well in that space during that time, I didn't want to mess up any mo Joe, because we are two the most routine people ever, and I'm just like, all right, if I'm not in my seat, he's doing pretty well. And I remember I sat down and you missed your free throw, and I was like, all right, let me go back to the bag. But at the same time, I knew I wanted to just be there to show my support. But this has been an incredible game, obviously, but journey for BAM, witnessing it firsthand, the highs and the lows of it, it's been so much fun. And I know he says that I'm his inspiration, but I don't think he has a clue how much he inspires me to continue to be the person that I am. But to show up for him, that's my biggest goal, is always just to be present and.
Speaker 2: Show it for him.
Speaker 12: And I was a little mad that you got your ten k and I wasn't here, but you made up for it.
Speaker 2: I love it. I love it.
Speaker 7: I love that all sweet. There's been a lot of hate, man.
Speaker 9: Let me tell y'all, y'all, y'allo love button Angela and Jamie's little love button down in Houston.
Speaker 7: A real pretty what's his name coach at Boston.
Speaker 5: He straight up hated. He hated he was the court.
Speaker 9: Yeah, he said, he hated on throws he took. He hated on the fact the team.
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, I just want to pause on this defamatory fix what you just said about me and Jamil and this man. We don't have nothing to do with this man. We don't want to know before.
Speaker 5: Palmer, I not.
Speaker 2: I never met this man.
Speaker 7: I want to everybody.
Speaker 9: Andrew, I don't know if you've seen this man, but he's a he is a very handsome attract He is.
Speaker 2: A walking problem.
Speaker 1: He no tea. I stand with thank you, Harriet. No, that's right, shoot the best from Afar.
Speaker 6: I'm wondering if I would be intimidated if if my girl was like running me through the fitness workout routine because he volunteered a little more than she did. She says, I've been there. I watch, I watch he's like when she's there and pushing me and counting me down, so and so forth.
Speaker 7: Time V of the w n B A, he's sitting next to a different family work.
Speaker 6: I mean, that's a that's a serious deal. That's some intimidation. But I love that they got a statue mutual inspiration and motivation and encouragement minus the jealousy. And should the jealousy show up, it shows up because the other one reaches an achievement and you happen not to be present for I just think that's if we needed, uh, not not a symbol, but a demonstration of what a healthy looking. And I ain't in the stuff, so I don't know. But what I saw what looks like a healthy, healthy relationship, a give and take. I got you when you got me. I thought that was nice.
Speaker 1: I hate to uh give, give our audience whiplash. That's exactly what I'm about to do. There is a thin line between love and hate, and so surprised. Fox News is engaging and Revision is history by showing old footage of Donald Trump receiving the remains of soldiers rather than the actual footage from March seventh at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware. The remains of six soldiers who died in an Iranian drone attack after the US and Israel conducted airstrikes on the country were brought back home. The Commander in chief failed to remove his baseball cap in their honor, and Fox News decided to run some different footage.
Speaker 2: We got both.
Speaker 13: Let's run it meanwhile, turning out to your headlines, President Trump, First Lady Milania Trump, Vice President JD. Vance, and Secretary Lady Usha Vans attending a dignified transfer to honor the final homecoming of the six US service members killed in Kuwait. The solemn ritual returns the remains of troops killed in action. It is considered one of the most somber duties of a commander in chief.
Speaker 1: So he got the baseball cap on, and he didn't remove it normally at his custom as you all know, to remove hats for fallen soldiers. You would expect that from the commander in chief. Prizes here on the propaganda side or on Trump's not knowing the rural side.
Speaker 6: I mean, didn't he tell us, like people dying war and like Morris coming, it's.
Speaker 8: Just going to be.
Speaker 7: That way was the way in which he.
Speaker 6: Prepared American families and American men and women who give their lives quite literally for the country and protection of all of us, and hopes that when the President sends you there, he's got a good reason for doing so, and that hopefully that reason has something to do with the safety, security of the country and our respective interests. But the dignified transfer is an incredibly solemn occasion, and the same flagrant way in which he talks about life and other people's lives, not his, but other people's I mean, that's basically what he put on demonstration, you know right there. It's a shame, however, that Fox News has to cape for him so hard that they literally manipulate footage to make him look dignified when his true self is undignified.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's not a surprise considering the length of the degree in which Fox lies their viewers every day, and I'm often marveled at the fact that we actually allow this. The other part too. I'm gonna remember something that actually George W.
Speaker 3: Bush said when he was in office during the Golf War, and that he stopped playing golf, and a big reason why he stopped playing golf is because he didn't want the American people to see him playing golf while their sons and daughters are at war, because he thought it was a bad optic. If George W. Bush is saying that, that makes this look even worse than it already does.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I just wanted to note real quick that we're no longer at six where it's seven soldiers. And I just think that as we talk to our listeners about the toll, it's not just the bombs that we see and the fireworks in the sky. Their real lives that have been lost. A lot of young people don't have a chance to grow up because we're in a war that when we don't know why we're there truly and too, we don't know how we're going to get out.
Speaker 6: So got be over one hundred and six injured. They were finally forced to release that information. But aside from obviously the lives lost, over one hundred men and women are injured as a result of this incursion, that all of us are still scratching our heads trying to figure out why we're there.
Speaker 1: Yes, I want to switch gears quickly to.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 1: We said last week a broken clock is right twice a day, but this is.
Speaker 2: A really good one.
Speaker 1: Republican Governor k Ivy showed a little bit of mercy. You all may have been following the activism around Charles sunny Burton. He was scheduled to die this week despite not pulling the trigger in a nineteen ninety one shooting, and the Republican governor of Alabama decided to commute his sentence. He will still spend the rest of his life in prison, but his family is expressing a tremendous amount of gratitude.
Speaker 2: Let's roll the clip.
Speaker 6: It's been a decade long fight for clemency for Burton's family.
Speaker 7: What does today feel like for the family.
Speaker 14: It feels over.
Speaker 7: Amazing, Burton's son and daughter telling w b r C. They've been praying for this day to come.
Speaker 4: That's when I said, if they want to take my father, I meant you and I prayed very hard. He can't help my dad, and I think I think it's ivory for saving and spare in his life.
Speaker 14: We've been fighting this for a very long time, and you know, we had our setbacks, we had our triumphs, we had our setbacks, and now we just did a beautiful triumph for my hard work, for my friends.
Speaker 7: People weave know like it was a long it was a long journ, long journey.
Speaker 1: Well that is a somber one, bed. I mean, his life has been spared. I don't think we should have the death penalty any anyway. I want to hear from y'all what you got.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I got. I'll never forget this. And I don't know if y'all know this, but that Angela made me think about this. Kate Balwin one night or one day was interviewing me after the mother Emanuel shooting about Dylan Ruth, and she asked me directly on TV, how do I feel about the death penalty and just losing nine people that I knew? In that fashion, I was literally like, I don't know. It made me question faith, It made me question judgment, It made me question and then people get sensationalized when they talk about the death penalty, like what happens if somebody storms in the house and rape your entire family and throws away your favorite all. You know, it makes you, It makes you think about things in a different way.
Speaker 7: And so I am.
Speaker 9: Still politically unsettled, although I do know that the death penalty disproportionately affects people who look like Sonny. My last point is you've got to always remember, particularly in the South, hands of one, hands of all, if you're out. I hope young people listen to this make good decisions, because if you're out and somebody makes a crash, dummy decision.
Speaker 7: All of y'all going away.
Speaker 9: Over there on the northwest, where Angela is in California, they call it fell any murder. In the South, we call it hands of one, Hands of all. And so many people want to know why Sonny's in the situation he is, and that is the reason that he is going to still serve the rest of his life in prison.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the daughter of the deceased man who was killed all those years ago wrote to the governor spoke up. She said, her voice as a survivor of her lost loved one, should mean something, and she said, if you think this is justice, this is not justice. I don't believe this to be justice. Do not take this man's life. Oddly enough, y'all, the man who actually pulled the trigger, uh and and and uh killed the deceased, actually had his his sentence was commuted. He was on death row and was removed. Sonny was the only one remaining on death row, and he actually didn't pull the trigger. But as as Bakari, our attorney resident, is pointing out, if you with the people who do the crime, everybody is charged for the same crime. And in this case, obviously it worked out for the better. But y'all, I'm just curious. Angela and Bacari, our resident attorneys, like, when do we see the law change so that you know that individuals who didn't touch a gun didn't kill anyone. May have been in a car in the commission of an act, but may not have known the act was going down, is prosecuted and god forbid, put on death row having not even done the you know, done the deed.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 6: But but this is a good this is a good one for k Ivy. She did say that she did this to preserve the future of the death penalty in that state.
Speaker 1: Well, and I will say, Andrew, as you know as a former LAGED official, it is up to the states. They have to decide individually what the law will be. And that is up to the legislatures. Why it's so important for us to vote. And I know you have something on this. The Georgia special election.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so there was an election this week, y'all. Marjorie Taylor Green seat down in Georgia and the most Republican seat in the entire delegation from the state of Georgia. And there were some positive, I think outcomes. We'll see what happens in the long run. But take a look at who the two finalists are and what was a very crowded feel.
Speaker 8: Democrat Sean Harris finished as a top vote getter with thirty seven percent of the vote, while Republican Clay Fuller came in second with thirty four percent.
Speaker 15: Well, I think you're sitting with the results tonight. The voter support what President Trump is doing in an endorsement our campaign, and I think the Republican Party is going to unite around us because they know that the Democrat is too dangerous. We can't have a Democrat representing Georgia fourteen. It would be a tragedy for our community.
Speaker 16: I think what you're going to see here real soon is people going to say what I'm going to put beside this time party, I'm going to vote with us best for my Kris and grandkids. And that's why I have nothing but confidence tonight, and I have confidence tomorrow.
Speaker 7: And the day after that that.
Speaker 16: More and more Democrats and Republicans and independence are going to come my way.
Speaker 6: So Sean Harri is there achieved actually the majority of votes that were cast in that special We could all pontificate about what that looks like in the final in May. Most expect that that seat will remain with Republicans. But y'all, it is of note that Sewan out performed how Kamala Harris did in that very same district shit Chi thirty one percent of the vote, he achieved thirty six percent of the vote, and so even if that seat doesn't come the way of Democrats, that just gives you a light in inlet into how Democrats are overperforming so far in these special elections. That trend continues.
Speaker 1: Well, as you just noted Andrew, the race and midterms are in full effect, but it's not without an intense redistricting battle. Up next is Virginia, with the map already approved by the General Assembly. That map would have ten seats that lean Democratic. Early voting has begun in Virginia, and so have the Shenanigans. As we get into our longer length topic. The response from the GOP was insane. They sent out a civil rights based mailer, and we have this clip from a social media the influence that believe her name is Suzanne Lambert, who had this to say about the mailer.
Speaker 8: I was getting ready to go to the gym, which is why I look like a young Justin Bieber. But a follower sent me this message about a very mysterious mailer that they received yesterday. There's a special election in Virginia right now through April about redistricting, which we want to vote yes on.
Speaker 17: The top line message we want to vote yes. So what U to say?
Speaker 8: You'll notice it says, just like Jim Crow, they want to take away your voice. And you're seeing a lot of Civil rights era images, presumably of black people.
Speaker 17: Okay, that's important black people, because what else does it say?
Speaker 8: It says our ancestors fought to represent.
Speaker 17: Us our ancestors.
Speaker 8: So one could safely assume, if you're looking at this flyer, given that it only depicts black people, that the person sending it is a black person, right or at the very very least has the interest of black folks in mind, which, of course makes no sense because voting yes on this measure would actually protect the interests of black people, and no black officials would lose their seat from their redistricting measures. It would only be white people the other house to include who paid for it?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 8: So what says here paid for by Democracy and Justice Pack? Only problem with that Democracy and Justice Pack doesn't exist, like straight up does not exist, but Justice for Democracy Pack does exist, and its treasurer is listed as Christopher woodfin addresses the same, Well, what do we know about Christopher Woodfin On? We know that he has only ever donated to Republican politicians ever, and two that he is most certainly not black. So when he says our ancestors and our rights, who.
Speaker 17: Exactly the fuck is he talking about.
Speaker 8: What we also know about Democracy for Justice pack is that it was created four days ago and only has one large contribution from a major Republican Now, the question is, did they.
Speaker 17: Purposely put the wrong name on the mayor?
Speaker 6: If people want to go look it up, there's a lot net. Well, I tell you it is a lot.
Speaker 18: A lot, a lot.
Speaker 9: For the people are listening and not watching Angela, Angela explaining your messiness right now for people who.
Speaker 2: I just want to apologize.
Speaker 1: I want to apologize to our viewing audience, our listening audience that may be over wait, because I I just this is getting worse.
Speaker 2: But CARTI, why did you have me?
Speaker 5: Because you couldn't fix your face?
Speaker 7: I was to have man.
Speaker 2: Just like I didn't see that person had no idea. No, I didn't have any idea.
Speaker 1: This man has no neck like I've never seen anything like that in my life.
Speaker 2: I was really like, oh my god, that's a I wait, is that ai?
Speaker 8: I was?
Speaker 1: Anyway, here's the point, guys, let's get focused let's get focused.
Speaker 6: They wants Greenland because it looks so big on the map. Greenland is not to scale. I assume that.
Speaker 1: Maybe he's not to scale. Okay, okay, all right, you think it was like I don't even remember when we were talking. We were talking about Readish districting. Okay, Yes, so there's another.
Speaker 7: Which is very important.
Speaker 2: Yes, vote yes, vote yes, yes, they said.
Speaker 1: Queen Gayleen from from Virginia says, we are telling people, don't guess, vote yes. So they are trying to meet the energy of Texas, North Carolina in Ohio and trying to make sure that there is more representation in Congress to knock out all of what they tried to do with Midtermy districting. What I think is really crazy about this mailer, y'all is it literally has?
Speaker 2: I mean, hopefully we can pull the images up.
Speaker 1: I think I sent them to just like Jim Crow, they want to silence your voice. And then this black man there, it is this black man who used to be in the Virginia House of Delegates says that this was him although we just saw him and unless he is transracial, that was not him. And also he would have gained several hundred pounds to be that man that's in that picture responsible for this mailer.
Speaker 2: So I just I think that it's fascinating. Our ancestors fought to represent us. That's right.
Speaker 1: The people who have this mailer out are the descendants of the seventeen seventy six ers. We, however, are the descendants of sixteen nineteen, and it's not our ancestors. Our ancestors wildest dreams would be that we could vote and we would be represented in the House, among other places. I want to roll this clip for you all to react to. This is the speaker of the Virginia House of Delegates. His name is Don Scott, and he had this reaction to this crazy mailer, which I think we need to highlight.
Speaker 18: I love, folks, when I see people sending mailers using images from the civil rights movement, brave men and women facing down the KKK, people who launched, who bled, who died for the right to vote, to try to trick black voters in Virginia.
Speaker 7: I take that very personally.
Speaker 18: The civil rights movement is not a problem, and for them to do that and then to try to bring in another black man after the fact to say that he was involved with it when we know for a fact.
Speaker 7: That was not the case. They brought him in after the fact.
Speaker 18: The blood and sacrifice of those who fought for the right to vote belongs to all of us, and it will not be hijacked by anonymous MAGA line political operatives trying to deceive our communities. And let's be clear about what's really happening here. Donald Trump put us all in this position. Donald Trump and Republican legislatures across the country are trying to rig the mid term elections because they know that policies are so unpopular, no one in their right mind would continue to support them.
Speaker 1: So y'all that I think that's the part for me, and I want to I do want to hear from y'all, but I just got to say, I believe there's a special place in fiery hell for coonery, and I would like to show that this is the coon around I'm talking about moves behind an anti redistrict and flyer in voking Jim former go Op delegate. He represent the Hampton area. It would beyond Delegate ac Cardoza.
Speaker 5: This ain't our people, Jamil, your old people.
Speaker 2: Said, man, that's the oh that he don't really have a neck either.
Speaker 1: It's the no Neck Committee responsible for this ad what y'all got.
Speaker 18: I'm done.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be quiet because.
Speaker 5: Now, But like I I hope that people understand the bigger picture.
Speaker 3: And I've said this before and getting into arguments with conservatives, It's like, if your ideas were that much greater, why do you feel the need to cheat If you think they're really that much more popular, if you think you have broader vision, if you think if you believe all the things that you say about the type of America you want us to have, then you wouldn't need to do stuff like this. And unfortunately, we have a public that, because of the day to day challenges of life and just trying to put food on the table, have a livable wage, put a roof over their head, that things like this are very easy to fall for. I mean, and especially now that we've sort of programmed people to try to look out for coming to you online, because we know that communities of color are definitely targeted with misinformation and disinformation online and so people tend to not do have the same level of skepticism when it comes to the mailers and the television commercials which we have seen in many elections have a deep impact and influence on how people vote.
Speaker 5: So I'm glad that the attention is being drawn. But the part that I'm worried about is how many people will already have fallen for this, and whether or not they will receive the proper and correct information to know how to vote accordingly.
Speaker 9: I think Jamil's first point was just brilliant because I say something similar when you oftentimes, because I don't know how many of.
Speaker 7: You all have seen, and I challenge you all.
Speaker 9: I was watching it some this morning, but the deposition from the DOGE employees, and they just they really just fell apart when they would question about about d I just about any of the beliefs right. And so when you challenge conservatives on things like this on ideas, usually you find out that you can win on that playing field because they understand even that their ideas are not better for the country black, white, poor otherwise. The other thing is if your vote wasn't so important, people wouldn't work so damn hard to take it from you. And that's what we're seeing day in and day out. But I'm glad that the battlefield is in Virginia. Because my favorite elected official in the entire country. I know that it's weird. People will be like y'all are in politics too deep when you have like a favorite elected official, but like you know, her picture is I send her picture to folk.
Speaker 7: But Senator Louise Lucas, l Louise Lucas, I don't know if y'all know.
Speaker 9: Years old, graduated from Norfolk State twice and will tell you about yourself. I mean, she single handedly stop the redskin what do they call the commanders commanders, you know, from coming out there and taking advantage of her constituents, and she's helping along with the Speaker of the House, fight back. And I just think that this is the place where I'm glad this I'm glad this battle is taking place because you're seeing what happens when you have smart, very talented, particularly black folk in leadership position able to fight back. And so I have confidence with when last point is, we've always had obstacles. Life folk have always had obstacles, whether or not as Georgia, whether or not it's this, whether or not it's the same, you know, let America, and it didn't matter, We're still going to come out and vote in extremely high numbers and overcome this.
Speaker 7: And I do believe that this will pass with a yes.
Speaker 6: Yeah. In my race for governor, they did phone calls into black households telling them the wrong date of the election, giving them the date beyond the election to go. Don't forget. We need to have his back, you know, this sort of coon talking, you know, menstrual voice on the other end. And I will tell you there's often debate around whether or not we should highlight these things. If we should talk about them, does it serve the purpose or do the work for the opposition, for our community to lift up what the myriad strategies might be to keep us from and hassles that you might have to encounter in order to get your vote cast and also count it. But I got to tell you we have a resilient community. We have a resilient constituency. They are mature adults enough to hear the truth. God knows. I would prefer them getting a forecast of what to expect when they go vote from us, rather than showing up and seeing armed you know, military armored vehicles outside of polling places. So I just, I just I hope for those who are still arguing, let's not talk about these distracts actions. Let's not talk about what the Republicans are going to do, because we may inadvertently suppress our own vote, because people may just decide, Look, I don't want to put up with that, so I'm not going to participate. I think people draw the exact opposite conclusion when you work so hard, as Baccari pointed out, to keep me from voting and keep my vote from mattering, but I'm sleeping outside the poll. We are organizing a sleepout before election day. But I think we gotta highlight these things so that folks have a real sense of the mystery and mischief the other side is going to be up to nobody knows.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: The other thing that I think is important to bring into this mix. We're talking about redistricting efforts in Virginia, of course, but we also can't turn a blind eye to some of the tactics that the Trump administration have turned to within the last couple of months. So we know in January, at the end of January, the FBI went to raid Fulton County's voting records from twenty twenty as if to give Donald Trump any credibility to what he was alleging, then also seeking out votes, which we know Fannie, our dear sister Fannie Willis was working on trying to prosecute him for the election fraud he was actually committing. But at the end of January, authorities see seven hundred boxes. Seven hundred boxes related to an election six years ago. There is nothing to look for from six years ago except for intimidation of voters in a very very important election in Georgia, as we know coming up. It's important everywhere, but it's particularly important in Georgia because we have the opportunity to hold.
Speaker 2: The Senate to elect a new governor or not.
Speaker 1: So seven hundred boxes related to this probe all in Fulton County.
Speaker 2: Who's in Fulton County? Y'all? Okay?
Speaker 1: And then the Homeland Security Oh, by the way, by the way, the FBI field agent in charge, his name was Paul Brown, I believe was fired for expressing concerns about this FBI raid. So I also want to make be clear about that if you're not a yes man or a yes woman for Trump, you gotta go. So then after that they went to Arizona. Guess where they went to Arizona, Miracpa, Maricopa County. Who's in Maricopa ain't no white people. So I just I want to point this out. This is over, you know again, the twenty twenty election results all from a debunked claim that there was, uh, there was election fraud happening there. The former attorney general in Arizona looking into this, and of course it's been a debunked, debunk claim.
Speaker 6: So anyway, I don't even think it's about I don't think it's a I don't think this is a rewind to the last election. I think you doubt this is pretext for this is them trying to push the limits of their authority to show the American people what they have the capacity to do. What courts will step in to keep them from seizing ballots, What courts will keep, you know, stop them from going and seizing voting machines on the evening of elections when those machines should be counting votes and sending them directly to the headquarters and counties all across the country. I think they are here testing the limits of not their authority, because they don't have the authority to do this. They're testing the they're testing the limits of who gonna check me, who's going to stop me? And with what military are they going to do it with. So I again, when we talk about the things that we should just anticipate, be prepared for Democrats, anyone who cared a democrats democracy, see loving person, Please please please don't handle this like we might address the normal rigors of a of a of an inquisition reasonable in nature, even if we disagree with the outcomes. This is not what this is. This is authoritarianism at its at its alphabet, at its dictionary described level. Being persecuted by Trump and all of his SIKA fans. There are no check people to keep him from doing this. He wanted to seize the ballots last time, and fortunately there were people like Kelly in places said nah, we can't do that. The Attorney general of the country who did that. Now, who thinks Pam Bondy is going to stand in front of Donald Trump and say no to anything? Nobody we know, nobody.
Speaker 5: We know that's not happening.
Speaker 3: But I think it gets to what really is the soft spot in our democracy, and that is we continue to forget that the democracy only stands as much as the people willing to actually protect it. And what we know, definitely knew from what happened previously, was that if not for Mike Pence, you know, by the thinnest, thinnest of margins, did things hold together.
Speaker 5: And so when you lose, or when the people who are supposed to protect the democracy no longer do, the institution is not going to defend itself. And many people knew that this version of Trump would be far more dangerous because he was going to have those sick of fans you talked about, who do not believe in actual governance, who do not believe in the rule of law, who do not believe in a certain decorum that should be part of politics. Because as much as I hated as last administration, this one is like, this makes the last one look like child's play. And the difference is this time around they don't believe in those things that they're willing to do whatever the king wishes. And so I think what is frightening for me is that I don't think the American people are actually alarmed enough that I get it, Like a lot of people are dealing with shortbandwidth. They have already said their intention was the flood zone with hourly horrors of which we're like what and to the point where you feel hopeless. But I think they're playing largely works because when I see things like what is embolding in Georgia and Arizona, and that yes, there's outrage among those who pay attention, but the people who really need to be outraged.
Speaker 3: And paying attention are just kind of in this web of I don't even know what to do in this moment, and that to me, it's the apathy that worries me.
Speaker 7: Sure three quick points.
Speaker 9: I think that we're overlooking the psychopathy of the president of the United States. So I disagree with Andrew just slightly because I do think that a lot of this is done because the president believes he won the election in twenty twenty, and so I think that he is asking people to go out and kind of do this excursion into finding him the votes, which we all know doesn't exist. But I also think that you're right, Andrew on the back part, because I do think that there are people around the president, the Stephen Miller's, the Bannons, et cetera, that want to exploit that underbelly, and what they're saying is, look, we are not going to wait until six years later. If we don't like the results of Arizona, we're going to take those ballots before they're countant, or after their accountant, or whenever the hell we want to. Then were just going to figure out how to count them, and we we gonna count them and one or basically, we'll ask Donald Trump how much you want to win by today?
Speaker 6: So I need you to find me y'ah.
Speaker 7: Eleven thousand, right, I need you to I want to win by I want to win by twelve points, right. So I think that that's a part of it as well. And I don't I just don't think.
Speaker 9: I just don't think that we have the urgency one and people don't understand how to fight back too. And I'm it's hard because we don't have a fighter yet in the ring. I guess this is where Andrew would be like Macari, we don't need a fighter in the ring.
Speaker 7: This is about democracy. The people can do it.
Speaker 6: Hey, Minnesota showed us.
Speaker 7: In Minnesota showed us. You're right.
Speaker 9: I just think I wish we had a fighter in the ring too. But I guess that time will come soon that we're all going to have to rally around somebody who at the very fundamental portion of their life is pro democracy.
Speaker 6: I hope it's not a person. I really hope it is. And I honestly think Minnesota is a blueprint in the sense that when people see the threat at their doorstep, there's a red line and they're saying, you're not going to cross it here. So if it's in my community, this is not some esoteric I believe the talking points that he's looking back sixty years to see whether or not he won or not. This is me saying no, right now, this man is trying to take say it again.
Speaker 3: Isn't that bad because by the time it gets to your doorstep, it is too late.
Speaker 6: No, I think this is going to be real time shit. I think that they I think we're going to be traumatized by the swiftness and by the audacity of what they're going to attempt on election day and the ten days leading up to election day for early voting states, and then the way in which they're going to assault the court courts. But mostly they're going to assault public opinion. They're going to get out there and they're going to say, remember back then, when the Cab County stole all those votes and we had to take those ballots. Remember when the Latinos allowed fifty thousand immigrants across the border so they could vote that day. I think this is going to be head on a swivel type stuff, and it's going to require us to have not a knee jerk, but I mean unprecedented levels of response to them stealing what is that lection?
Speaker 7: That's the quest?
Speaker 6: Well up two thousand in Florida. I was here for that. I mean, you couldn't keep us down. We were down at that We were down at the Capitol and at the Sties States Office. It was mayhem, complete and total mayhem.
Speaker 7: Narrator states. We still lost, and I think.
Speaker 6: We lost a five to four, We lost a five to six or what was it, a seventh four four to.
Speaker 1: The Supreme Court. I think here's the here's the point that I want to raise in this moment. What is scary to me is that during the country's two hundred and fiftieth anniversary year, we are now at a place we were fighting for the fundamental right to vote, fundamental access to the ballot box, whether or not our ballot should be counted. Who was making a very partial determination about who gets to have their say, And we've already had that battle. We had it in the Constitution, there's an amendment for that. We had it in the nineteen sixty five Voting Rights Act, in every authorization after that. So I'm just saying that at some point, the law of the land should stand. Whether you're mad about a black president winning the election or not. All of this shifted again to partisanship after Barack Obama won the election, and I think that until this country is willing to come to terms with its ugly history, the fact that the vestiges of slavery are alive well and present, like, we are going to continue to repeat this, And so yes, we should fight, but also we do need fighters. The fighters need to show up. This should be something that is talked about consistently. I'm gonna tell y'all because I started talking about Reverend Jackson at the beginning.
Speaker 2: I used to get so mad sometimes.
Speaker 1: When no matter what we were talking about, somewhere Reverend Jackson got on the stage and he always brought up the right to vote.
Speaker 2: And I'd be like, we're fine, we're voting.
Speaker 7: We just bought it.
Speaker 2: Were good, you know, And now this is pre two thousand and eight.
Speaker 1: By the time twenty ten and the Tea Party rode around, I was like he might be onto something. When voter ID and all the suppressive measures that they introduced in state legislatures all throughout the country, cutting back early voting days, figuring out how to have voter ID, it's just an idea.
Speaker 2: You have to have idea to get on a plane.
Speaker 1: Everybody don't fly right, Everybody don't Everybody don't live right down the street from.
Speaker 2: A Department of Licensing or DMV.
Speaker 1: Everybody can't afford a passport or to get a new birth certificate. Like, we have a privileged way of thinking about this, and it is suppressive and harmful to our elders who fought the very fight for us. And yes, it is frustrating to have to have this fundamental conversation, especially when there are people in our communities who are like, I would love to talk to you about voting, but I can't feed my kids tomorrow. We have to be able to walk and chew gum at the same time.
Speaker 2: Hell to something.
Speaker 1: We got to be able to meet people's basic needs. But also this is a basic and fundamental right. It should be constitutionally protected in ways that it's clearly not because our Supreme Court is willing to throw everything in the balance.
Speaker 9: So andew you preach we need to clip that, because that's that's fire there and true. But let me also tell you why we in this situation. The reason we're in this situation is because we never punished the Confederates. I remind amen, Amen, I remind people of that all the time. The most trees in this group of people we've ever had walked the country, we never punished them. The same people who brought us Jim Crow, who brought us the black Codes, we never punished them. Those are the same people who on January sixth showed us that they were going to storm the Capitol.
Speaker 7: We never punished him. Now those people are running government.
Speaker 9: So I and Merritt Garland didn't help us. I always say that the reason we're in this situation is this country never punished the Confederates, and now we're stuck here still, we're dealing with one hundred and Angela. The reason it's so hard is we're dealing with one hundred and twenty years, one hundred and more than one hundred and thirty plus years of that entrenched history of having individuals who don't believe in the very essence of what this country should be still running government today.
Speaker 6: I think it predates them. For instance, Americans don't want to reckon with the fact that we didn't allow all people to vote. We alloted white men who were landowners to vote, and guess what else, they did not have to be citizens of the United States of America to vote. That has not always been a condition of voting in federal elections or local elections in the United States of America over its history. It did not begin that way. This country has always prioritized the most powerful, the most well connected, the most well constituted individuals, and quite frankly, if they had it their way. And this is why Donald Trump doesn't face as much resistance within his party as he should trying to be not just a kleptocrat, but quite frankly, to return this this nation to some kind of aristocracy or worse. Is because they fundamentally don't believe that the proletariat should have access direct access to the ballot box. And by the way, the Framers didn't believe that either, we did not have direct elections to House members to Senate members, to the presidency, and we still don't have direct elections to the presidency. We were electing people to go and then hopefully speak for us in conventions and as Electoral College voters and as US senators, but we were not supposed to have this much direct proximity to one the vote and then to what is supposed to be inured from it, which is power. They don't believe we should, so they really want to return to a foundational premise where the most powerful, the most well connected, the most well heeled, even if they are not US citizens, are the ones who basically get to control.
Speaker 2: Things absolutely well.
Speaker 1: We will continue to be following all the redistricting efforts, the midterm mid term redistricting efforts, by the way, and all of what's happening as we lead into the twenty twenty six midterms, and efforts by the Trump administration to still kill and destroy the midterms, and all of our efforts, our collective efforts to fight back. So thank you all so much.
Speaker 19: Who cares about truth for the last more than seen it.
Speaker 1: Okay, everyone, for my call to action today, I am lending it to a friend of the show attorney to Mario Solomon Simmons, who has this update in the Creek case.
Speaker 20: Peace Families to turn to Mario Solomon Simmons.
Speaker 7: We all know when there's.
Speaker 20: Assault on black people, and black people's right to vote anywhere is an assault on all of us everywhere. Over one hundred thousand black folks up being denied the right to vote by the Muskogian Creek Nation. And for a little bit of context, many of you are you know that last year we won in the Moscowyan Cree Nation Supreme Court five to zero that we have every right as any.
Speaker 7: Other Creek citizen.
Speaker 20: Yet they are standing in our way and stopping us from voting, from getting housing, education, benefits, everything because of anti black discrimination. This matters to all of us because our dignity as black people are under assault. This is no different than Governor George Wallace in the nineteen sixties standing in the doorway at the University of Alabama because he didn't want black students the opportunity to integrate the University of Alabama. It takes everyday people like you who are able to organize and stand against tyranny and racism and injustice, and that's what we need. You to do stand with us, just the same way that the NAACP Legal Defense Fund and Lawyer's Committee and Representative Maxine Waters, There's so many others. I need you to go to justicef Black Creeks dot com. Learn this amazing history. You may be a Black Creek yourself and don't even know it. Follow this case that's going to impact thousands, tens of thous the black fems all over this nation.
Speaker 7: Go to Justice for Black Creek today. I want to hear from you.
Speaker 2: Thank you to Mario.
Speaker 1: Okay, who else is got next?
Speaker 9: I'm gonna chime in here and just say my call to action is this is the best time of the season. This is March madness. I'm so excited about it. A break well now, I mean, unfortunately, I have to take my kids with me to the women's final four. My wife is making me do that. The last time they went, we lost to Iowa in the semi finals.
Speaker 7: That's a whole other.
Speaker 2: Kids for the reason.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, I got to even get permission from coach Day to let them go. So we'll work through all of that. But my call to action is go out and make sure everyone watches women's sports.
Speaker 7: Go out there and support.
Speaker 9: If you have a local playing game or if you have one of the top sixteen teams in your area, you won't see anything better or a better environment than women's college basketball during this time period. So my call to action is go out and support and watch these little boys and girls throughout the NCAA tournament, show up and show.
Speaker 6: Out, nice, nice, nice, Well, mine is spring break. My kids are off for starting this Friday for a week and always, you know, I approach this season with joy, intrepidation, trepidation because they are going to eat us out of house and home.
Speaker 7: Over those days.
Speaker 6: I really appreciate when the school yard feeds them, but I look forward with a lot of anticipation because we get to spend some meaningful time together and with two middle schoolers and arising a fourth grader, third grader are about to be fourth grader who is going on forty. Each of these moments really do mean so much more. It gets, you know, the importance of it gets amplified. As Jay and I were told when we were first having kids, They'd say, the days are long, but the years are short. So my charge is is, if you got kids, grandkids, neighborly kids, you the funcle, the or the I don't know if they say whatever funcal is fun uncle. I don't know what they say for aunties, but fun aunties. Spend some time, meaningful time, ask questions, be curious, and courage, and then pray for all of us who are stuck with them for seven to nine days.
Speaker 1: All right, now, well, we want to hear from our guest host, Jamel Hill on her call to action.
Speaker 5: All right, my call to action is for the w n b A and NBA leadership to get their act together.
Speaker 7: Help.
Speaker 5: You know, right now, it's in a contentious labor struggle.
Speaker 3: We don't know if the season will start on time. And granted, the negotiations seem to be moving toward a positive place. But listen, these women have sacrifice, They have done all the things. They have given this league a really good foundation.
Speaker 5: Now it's time to pay them.
Speaker 3: You know, they have a two point two billion dollar media rights deal that kicks in next season. You have multiple franchises that are valued at over three hundred million dollars.
Speaker 5: The players see this, They want they money, Give them they money. It's just that simple. So my call to action is for the NBA and the WNBA leadership to actually act like leaders, and especially considering this is Women's History Month, what better signal to send than to pay these women?
Speaker 6: Pay me what you owe me, pay me.
Speaker 2: I'll yeah, all right, all right, well, welcome home y'all.
Speaker 1: As always, we want to remind everyone to leave us a review and subscribe to Native Lampod. We're available on all podcast platforms and YouTube. You can follow us on social media and substack, or check out native lampod dot com. If you're looking for more shows like ours, check out the other shows on our recent choice media networks. Politics with Jamal Hill, who's here today, Off the Cup with sc Cup, and Now you Know with Noah de Barrasso. We are Angela Raie, Andrew Gillen, Bacari Seller's Jamel Hill for today, Welcome home y'all there and thirty six days, two hundred and three six days until Mentorm elections.
Speaker 19: Welcome home to the Native landing on the podcast face that's a for greatness.
Speaker 7: Sixty minutes is so hit, not too long.
Speaker 19: For the great shit, high level combo politics in a way that you could taste it then digest it. Politics touches you even if you don't touch it.
Speaker 9: So get invested.
Speaker 19: Across the t's and Doctor I Kill Them, got them ass sellers, staying on pendans or why you could have been anywhere but you chose us. Native Lampard is the brand that you can trusty.
Speaker 1: Native Lampard is a production of iHeart Radio and partnership with Resent Choice Media. For more podcasts from our heart Radio, visit iHeart Radio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.