Speaker 1: No, really, no, really?
Speaker 2: Hello everyone, Hello, I've decided to do the show in the British eccent time.
Speaker 3: Can't you realize they cut this off? We just started the episode.
Speaker 2: Hello, this is the Gold Yeah, it's gonna be coming.
Speaker 4: I'm Jason, this is my partner.
Speaker 2: It's not the British and this is all podcasts. Really no, really, the podcast with Peter and I explore things that make us.
Speaker 3: Go really no really, Okay, I.
Speaker 4: Guess that's it, right, Thanks.
Speaker 3: That was our trip from the Victorian era with you. If I'm going to do something modern, I like to keep it spicy. Yeah you do, all right.
Speaker 2: Today we are talking about something that I am intimately familiar with our guest today. There's many, many things we want to talk about, but this was the one that started my head spinning on a really no really. So I've done runs on Broadway, you know, I've done long runs with things. But we're gonna check with a gentleman today who's has one of the biggest shows in Las Vegas and has had had can make that claim for years and years and years. But my mind started to go crazy when I heard that to date he has done his show, which is he's alone said over four thousand times. That's just a mind boggling number that to me of doing anything.
Speaker 4: I don't care if you love it hate it.
Speaker 5: Did you talk about repetition? You talk about repetition over and over. And you know, I'm always obsessed with you because I go Broadway, You're doing the same show every night. What's the that would be a nightmare for me to repeat?
Speaker 2: And I'm sure what we'll get into with Scott is that it's not the same every night, but it is. There is a repetition to it. It's not a factory job. And in some ways what Scott does is harder than a factory job because he has to also create the illusion of spontaneity.
Speaker 4: And I'm making this up out of.
Speaker 2: My having fun and enjoysh It's not like if you're on a factory floor in an assembly line. You don't have to pretend you've invented the muffler for the first time.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: And this came on the on the heels of Phantom of the Opera closing right after thirty five years and reading the article on the New York Times with the trumpet player who every night, and I thought of Scott comes in, sees the same people. How you doing right? And then he goes backstage. She's that person and this same thing.
Speaker 2: The trumpet player gets to do crosswords in between songs.
Speaker 5: No, he never sees that, he never sees the show. But Scott, the really really is he's still doing it. If I know Scott, he's never gonna return. What's you gonna do?
Speaker 2: So we're talking about a gentleman. We know Scott Thompson. You probably know him as the International Comedy Sensation Award winning comedian mister Carrott.
Speaker 4: Welcome to really No really, sir, I love it.
Speaker 6: And you just answered every question you don't need.
Speaker 3: Well, we know what it's like talking to you, so we figured what's he gonna get?
Speaker 5: I'm right here at by the way, the Marshall Marshall white fraid you're like white face, knows you did like your fellows. He said, I'm gonna do white face, but only to the lighting. That's not lighting. It's never you never know what Scott. Look at the ie make up in the hair, that's not lighting. That's Scott.
Speaker 1: No. I swear on my life, and I mean literally on my life, and this is not a joke. I just had lunch and this woman next to me said, I don't want to get weird, nurse, but are you like, are you into like are you cross dressing? And I just was like, God, if I am, I'm doing a horrible job. Right.
Speaker 3: I was going to say, whatever you're doing.
Speaker 1: The guys like, don't don't you know who he is?
Speaker 6: And she's like no, and then said he's like.
Speaker 1: Carrot top, and then all of a sudden it became okay, Oh, it's just go.
Speaker 6: You're fine.
Speaker 1: You can you can wear make up, your carrot top. You're supposed to wear making.
Speaker 3: Oh is that?
Speaker 2: Let me tell all my friends in the LGPT community. You just have to be carrot top and then anything okay?
Speaker 5: By way, Scott Scott never get it's great going out with Scott because you never get noticed.
Speaker 3: Listen, I would love it. Nobody would know I was there.
Speaker 5: You can see Scott like you can see the Wall of China, the Great Wall of China.
Speaker 3: Astronauts can see Scott.
Speaker 6: You know, But you don't want to be reckoned. That's kind of silly.
Speaker 1: So I've been al with friends before where they were way more famous than me, and they were like well, you wear an hat, right, I am wearing it hat.
Speaker 6: Wearing a hat? Does it like it doesn't make you go away? Like like, oh.
Speaker 3: Y the way the hat?
Speaker 6: I met Top with a hat on.
Speaker 5: I met Scott when he started out, and Scott at the time, which is incredible because he saw people we're going to talk about respect because Howie Mandel in this very studio talked about how we talked to Carrot Top about respect and being a prop comedian and gets looked down upon whatever.
Speaker 3: But I met Scott.
Speaker 5: We pitched a TV show with him, a kid show, and Scott at the time was doing colleges. He was the most successful act on colleges, like ever you know.
Speaker 2: There's got that was what the That was the prop act right that you had to schlep everything around.
Speaker 1: I had, Yes, I had done Yes. I started doing props during that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they have.
Speaker 1: It was like a no brainer because you booked me into a college where it's like I would say, it was like Show and Tell with liquor because they're.
Speaker 6: And they can't focus.
Speaker 1: But then I've got stuff like show and tell, like look, I'm holding a bong bong with.
Speaker 6: Whatever the joke it was.
Speaker 1: But I worked well for colleges because the attention span even now worse is they would pay attention because it was something you know, they could see, right.
Speaker 5: So Scott was was making I mean, he was so successful in his twenties at that point.
Speaker 3: It was incredible.
Speaker 5: And then he goes to Vegas and I know, Jason wants, why don't you talk about the respect. We can launch into that for a minute, about the prop comedian thing, and that Howie I never realized. I've worked with Howie a long time too, that it really bugged him that he would didn't get the respect of his peers, his fellow comedians. And he said, he talked to you about it because you're one of the most successful comedians out there now.
Speaker 3: And yes, it's as.
Speaker 1: Comics go, as we all know, like especially when we start out or even whatever. Now I'm old as hell, but you always wanted to have the respect from your peers. And so Howid Mandel is one of those guys that I you know, I grew up. It was from Carlin to Cosby to you know, Howie was one of the guy who did the you know, some props and Galla Gallagher, who I do like I do like a thirty minute tribute to Gallighery and you was a weird thing, is I give him all this love and my show. But he hated right, But he was like he was any guy. He was not a Gallagher, you.
Speaker 6: Know, Like, didn't he hate you? I'm like, yeah, but I give him like all this love and so it's weird.
Speaker 1: But but uh, you always wanted the respect and stuff from from uh, from from your peers and and doing what I do, which is weird as a comic. When you first start up comedy clubs, the thing that fear of the most of us that you're stealing someone's act, right, That's that was the number one at least when I remember I started.
Speaker 6: They were like, you know, you can't do other people's material.
Speaker 1: And I'm thinking, well, no one's holding up a rubber chicken and a tennis racket, so I'm doing my own thing, So they can't be mad. They can't be mad about me stealing something, So why are they so mad at me for doing what I did? Like I didn't care what they were doing, and I just did my thing. I never I came off stage every time thinking I did okay.
Speaker 6: I was proud of what.
Speaker 1: I what I brought to the stage, and it was what I thought of on my own.
Speaker 6: I didn't take it from anybody.
Speaker 1: Of course, emulated people like Gallagher, but would never try to do his act.
Speaker 6: Yeah, never, never, never, And.
Speaker 1: So that's the way and by the way to answer kind of a fun question, So Vegas is the weird thing. So I was doing Regis and Kathy Lee. God Bus Regis and he my number one fan.
Speaker 6: He was like, you come out with this. He was crazy.
Speaker 1: Because I do so well on that show in the audience that you probably know that that audience is like not my own. I mean that is now that I know that. But when I was a young, stupid you know, I had ever come out looking like this, and I've got you come out with these jokes and they're like they're like ninety years old, and Regis would so anyway, at the end of my very first performance on Regi's, Kathy Lee's manager walked over and said, wow, like, you must kill in Vegas and I said, I'm no, I've never played Vegas. And he said, you're kidding me and I said, no, never played Vegas. He said, if I book you in Vegas, will you do it, and of course I'm you know, we're comics, were horse. Of course, of so I did it and then we never looked back. It was like it's been thirty some years.
Speaker 3: I thought you didn't want to do it, for I read that you didn't want to do it at first. You turn them down.
Speaker 6: Oh no, I did not want to do Vegas. No, no, no no.
Speaker 1: I fought it and fought it and fought it, and it was like, well, as you said earlier in the month about a desk job, and I kept.
Speaker 6: Feeling, it's going to be a desk job.
Speaker 1: It's like I'm going to the same theater, and it's like I'm a road guy, you know, I'm on a bus and I'm on the road, and I'm a rock and roll And so I took the deal and did it for a year, and it was horrible. It was the worst year of my life. And I don't know if it was just because I was so young and I didn't know how to do Vegas or I didn't know how to figure out. I still don't know what I'm doing, but I finally figured out, like the Vegas thing was such a different thing, and it finally one day clicked and it just now it's I would never trade it for the world, you know.
Speaker 3: And you just moved to a bigger theater too.
Speaker 6: Oh No, same theater, same thing.
Speaker 1: Every time I say Jay, Lena goes hey, he's in comments and Vegas and out.
Speaker 6: I said good, and he says, and how big is the room? Again? I always say I was like five, it's five hundred. I get him.
Speaker 3: Every time.
Speaker 5: We saw you were we were with f We had a weird We did a live shar in Vegas at the Plan in Hollywood and we shared the stage with Holly Madison and you and that that was dressing him that night. It's just you, it's Holley Madison. It looked like if Hollywood Squares was on drugs.
Speaker 3: It was weird people. But you were very sweet to come say.
Speaker 6: They were on drugs.
Speaker 2: By the way, But Scott, I really want to do I want to really get into this with you for a second. We know there's a harp on it, but so I I tried my hand at a sort of stand up comment. I was playing a character, you know, and doing a sort of a scripted show in the guise of a comedy show.
Speaker 4: And we did it in Vegas, and.
Speaker 2: I did an eight week run, I believe, and I, like you said, of your first year in Vegas, I hated every minute of it. I didn't like doing the show, I didn't like living the lifestyle. I didn't like any of it. And unlike what I do in the theater, I went into acting in theater because of the community that I would step into every time. There's like a group of actors and musicians, and you know, they become family. But when you and I asked Jerry about this years ago too, when you step out, it's it's you and the audience. But it's you. You're a company of one and you. I know the show has changed over the years. I know you put new stuff in and out, But the act of getting to the theater, prepping for your show, getting in front of that audience all by yourself, dealing with that audience, dealing with the I'm sure of the meet and greets and all that stuff day in and day out, over four thousand times. Does that not take a manyute emotional toll on you. Because I I couldn't do it, I'd be out.
Speaker 1: Well probably I have people dress me though, so that's nice.
Speaker 3: But unless you actually drop you and clothes.
Speaker 1: Now I pick out everything myself. You know what's really weird and that you bring up set Jason, your question is brilliant because that was that was the thing that I didn't want to do when they when they asked me to do it. H twenty three years ago, I said, I don't want that. Get I don't want that.
Speaker 6: Exact thing what you just mentioned.
Speaker 1: And then when I started getting into and I finally got into the rhythm. Now it's kind of I don't know how to describe it, but it's weird, and the shows are at nice and you kind of have to your old days is around getting ready for your show. You know, hey, let's do some blow and no, I can't do. I'm going to do a show, so I would you know, you wait all day and then you get there at five point thirty and you get ready and you meet and greet, and then you get.
Speaker 6: Your thing and you put a new joke. I try to do one joke a night.
Speaker 1: I don't care if it's a if it's if a visual, or it's a stand up or it's a it's one thing each night, whether it bombs or does great, it's just it's just it's just something I have to do for myself to kind of and then it evolves. It works, it's great. But then the music comes on the thing and you're getting dressed.
Speaker 6: I always make a joke.
Speaker 1: I got to go turn into Carra top, put on my stupid stripes and polka do odds and and then I and then I get ready and I go out.
Speaker 6: It's a new different night. I don't know. Every night is a is a different night.
Speaker 1: I've I love I love that, but it took me a long time to get to that comfort zone because you're right, it's it's just a strange.
Speaker 6: It's a strange. It's a strange job, you know.
Speaker 1: And it's also fun to see how one night the same joke, like this theme joke will work one night and the next night no one gets the joke. So you know, there's a hotel called the Jockey Club, and it's brand new joke. No one's laughed since I've done it, like a week and a half. So I said, my favorite hotel is the Jockey Club. Now a picture of the Jockey Club comes up, right, and I said, always wonder what the showers look like? And there's a picture of a shower, and of course the novel comes down. You know, at the bottom it's a jockey, nothing nothing.
Speaker 6: And they're short.
Speaker 5: There's and you get mad on stage. You actually say I've seen you do that, going I've seen you do I.
Speaker 6: Get mad, I get mad in a funny way.
Speaker 3: I never, I never, but that's you.
Speaker 1: So I mean every comic gets mad at stage. I mean that's you know, that's part of the comic.
Speaker 4: Wit.
Speaker 5: Can I go back to something you said that and this is I think I remember you saying this a while ago, because you just joked about blow.
Speaker 3: No, I can't do blow.
Speaker 5: I remember when you first buffed up and everybody was shocked because all of we remember Scott looking one way and the next time he's on no Schwartz and the you're gonna go, oh my god. And I think what you said to me was, if you're in Vegas, you can do a couple of things. You can do drugs, you can lose your money gambling. There's so many vices here that I decided to do this and this would keep me focused. So I got addicted to this rather than all of that. Because I know a couple of people.
Speaker 6: Was that accurate You're absolutely amazing.
Speaker 1: I mean and that you remember now, what I normally say now is just I'm carrying all my hate mail.
Speaker 6: That's where I say that.
Speaker 3: But that so that is accurate. You just you saw that you could go down.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I had nothing to do all day long for like, you know, all day, so I said, instead of going and doing something dumb, I'll go to the gym.
Speaker 6: But so I just started working out and just doing just working out.
Speaker 1: But you never want to go to extreme because then you become Joe Piscopo and then you're that guy. So that was that was me. That was me, by the way, as Trump doing Piscopo. You don't want to be Bisco Bo.
Speaker 3: But not that.
Speaker 1: It's like you know, and I'm I'm like my my weight now was like I'm one fifty five. I'm back to my fighting weight. But people just always want to say, like, dude, I thought you were bigger.
Speaker 6: I'm like, yeah, I thought it was.
Speaker 5: So you stopped working out, you stopped the gym.
Speaker 3: Oh, I don't.
Speaker 1: I mean, I still work out, but I don't. I'm not extreme. I just I just do to just you.
Speaker 4: Know, just trying to build size anymore.
Speaker 1: What are you trying to say when you're fifty eight, I'm just trying to stay not dying.
Speaker 5: You don't think of you fifty not that that's all, But I never think he was fifty eight. I think of you was like eternally.
Speaker 6: Than now look at me.
Speaker 2: So I'm gonna I'm gonna go back to your show, because again I am fascinated. Do you ever if you could, if you could snap your fingers and have a partner on the stage, would you do it at this point?
Speaker 4: Or do you like working in one?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 6: My god, you know it's really weird.
Speaker 1: I was a Carson fan, of course, probably a lot of comics were, and I I don't know where it came from, and I'm sure it came from watching Johnny Carson. But I do is a thing, and everyone every night says, who are you talking to? So I'll do some not every joke, but I do a thing and I always do this, do this reference over to the side of the stage myself. My guy that does all the video does and he's not even listening. He's like, have we started? He has no idea this, So I just a thing and I just gesture like Johnny would do. I say, I said, you know, someone's gonna walk up.
Speaker 6: And then even when my own mother came and.
Speaker 1: She goes, who are you talking to? And I said, I'm I don't know. It's so I don't know if I want an actual person. I love doing the show by myself.
Speaker 6: I feel like.
Speaker 1: Although you know, in Vegas, every night some audience member wants to help out.
Speaker 6: And I always say, you know what, I got this and I wrote it without here. I wrote those without you. But if I need you, I promise you.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I don't know, but it could be fun to have someone who's goin to riff off.
Speaker 2: Well that's the thing about so when you talk for a second, because I think it's in, I think it's genetic.
Speaker 3: I did. I did.
Speaker 2: Used to talk to Jerry Seinfeld about you know, he loved doing our show together, but he loved.
Speaker 4: Being in one. He liked being the only guy.
Speaker 2: What what was because I don't know what was the moment where you go I'm going into I'm going to try comedy.
Speaker 4: I think I'm going to try this.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, another great question. It's like you prepared for this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. I mean, I didn't come from showbiz family. My father worked at NASA, and my brother went to the Air Force Academy and became an F sixteen fighter jet pilot. And then you know, I've got.
Speaker 6: Duck Pape tool walker. I don't know where I came from.
Speaker 1: I really don't. I mean, I really don't, but I mean, I always wanted to be a comic. But my dad used to say when I was a little kid, you're not funny.
Speaker 6: And I said, no, I know, no, he really did.
Speaker 1: So we we went and saw a Gallagher right yeah. And so when the Gallagher shi was done, there was a line to meet him and I went up and I shook his hand and I said, I was like twelve or something and I said, I this is what I want to do when I get older. I want to be a comedian. And he said, you know, that sounds great. And I tell my father that, I said, you know what I want to do when I get older. I figured it out and said what's that? I said, I want to be a comedian and my dad said something something like you know that.
Speaker 6: You do know that's never going to happen.
Speaker 1: And I thought, kind of weird, but it was kind of He's like, you know, you're not funny and you're just whatever. But I'm you know, twelve, And then a couple of years later go by, so I said to my dad, I said, if you you know the whole comedy thing, what do you want me to would you like me to be when I grow up in good older? And he says, I want you to work at NASA and train astronauts like like me and my first I remember saying to him, you do know that's probably never going to happen, like the same exact line, like I'm not you, I'm not my brother. So you know, they never really were behind me, but they were when, of course, you know, the night you call them and say, hey, I'm on the Tonight Show and they're like, what do you mean You're on the Tonight Show?
Speaker 6: Like I'm on the Tonight.
Speaker 1: Show, Like I'm on with like Leslie Nielsen or you know, I think I was done with oh my god, Charlie Sheen.
Speaker 6: It was somebody weird.
Speaker 1: And I said, I'm on the Tonight Show with with you know, and and they're like, what like thet I said, yeah, and you you stand there in that.
Speaker 6: Little gold Star where Johnny.
Speaker 1: Stood, Yeah, and it's just the most surreal thing. And then so that was legitimately the moment I think I realized that I was doing this. But of course the journey to get to that point was a long time. But I think I think I was probably twelve or thirteen, and I wanted to be a comedy. I would pretend to be George carl and I would pretend to be Richard Cryor, and I knew Eddie Murphy's you know that one's album by Heart, so I would stand in the mirror and pretend.
Speaker 4: I was them.
Speaker 5: You know, said Scott. Scott was appearing in a I think it was a club, and you'd already done TV. And there's a fire and he lost his Oh he lost his entire act.
Speaker 4: Oh in a fire. Really now here?
Speaker 1: How weird?
Speaker 6: Is this right? So it could be any comic in the world, I mean literally.
Speaker 1: Besides, they just think of another variety guy in whatever, any comic. And there's a fire and the whole, the whole comedy club burns down. It's the number one comedy club in the South, and it's you know, I don't even think about this. So they called, they come to get me, and he said, you know, the club burned down, and all I could think of was like, Bruce, Oh my god, it was.
Speaker 6: The best comic club. So I'm like, oh.
Speaker 1: No, Bruce, and he's like, dude, your act. And it didn't hit me until oh my my acts. And they're like the crime Watch sign that I stole, like all these things that I can never like.
Speaker 6: I didn't even know what I had in my act. And I was like, and I was booked on this night show that Monday.
Speaker 1: It happened on a Friday, So of course, you know, they called Jay AND's like, hey, something, I have.
Speaker 6: Carrot Club burned down.
Speaker 1: So of course when I went back, I had fire, you know, fired a detective in each trumpet and smoked, you know, had It was funny, but it was it was a surreal moment. You know, of all comics. They by the way, they did find Brick Taylor's matches there.
Speaker 3: And he never paid for that.
Speaker 5: There is didn't you pull it together with all this all these guys who reproduced comics, Yeah, all.
Speaker 1: The comics that hated they came back and helped me. It was really it was a beautiful moment. Like literally every comic that were business, see Doug, Yeah, they all came back.
Speaker 6: And said, what do you need. I said, we'll start. You know, I need I need to you know, need a thang. I need to steal a crime watch sign. I needed. That was my first prop on stage.
Speaker 1: I would have a neighborhood a neighborhood crime watch sign that I'd stolen, and my first jokers that had come out and hold it up and I say, how good is there? Crime Watch? And I watched the sign, so it was my first big bang and I said, now I got to go steal another crime watch sign.
Speaker 4: And you did, Yeah, yeah, I can't. I know, I'm harping on it.
Speaker 2: I don't understand the animosity from the other comics.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: The one thing I thought of is that maybe they're sitting sitting there going, you know, I have to rack my brain to come up with I have to write these bits.
Speaker 4: And he just fine, ship and.
Speaker 2: I go, well, that's the same as seeing the potential in something. An a crime watch sign is no different from a commie walking into a thing and going there's something funny here. It's just how you just how you translate that inspiration.
Speaker 1: So my whole career, i'd be in a this is weird I'd be in a big do like a you know, like an not arena, but you know me a theater five thousand, the sold out, great, show standing, inovation, great, get on the tour bus. You're driving down the road with your crew, and you have the TV on or all of these pizzas, and you know, just to just say, like, just say, a late night talk show host would just rip on me or or a comedian with me, and I'm like, and we'd all just go, what the like, we just did like the most remarkable evening ever in like at least in our world, and they still want to just like pound you. So it's weird though. That's what I've said from day one about the style of comedy what I did, let's say the crime watch on you. I don't know how that's different, and I don't know how it's different. I think the animality became more of success. I think I got I made, I got some success. And Jay, of all people, Joleno, couldn't have been nicer. He would always give me a spot. And I asked Jay one time he says, you know how many people come up to me in the airport and go, how come carratop on that though every week.
Speaker 6: And Jay said, because he brings the goods, I would.
Speaker 1: They would call me and I'd say, I've got a Trump you know Biden thing.
Speaker 6: I have it.
Speaker 1: I already have it, you know ready. So it would be topical and it would be you know, Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 6: Helmet, I mean, I gotta do it now. So I would.
Speaker 1: I would show up and it would be It was just it's what I did. But it was the same process as a comic Jerry Seinfeld or a monologist that would write, write out a bit. It was the same as me writing out a bit with maybe sometimes a visual aid.
Speaker 6: Sometimes there's not. Sometimes there's just pure stand up in this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well in your show, I haven't seen it in a long time. But let's talk.
Speaker 1: Let's talk, let's talk more about me.
Speaker 6: This is fun.
Speaker 2: Well, I gotta tell you, I'm not you know, we don't do anything on the show that doesn't make both of us go yeah.
Speaker 4: I'm fascinated by that, and I.
Speaker 2: I I truly am fascinated by your career and a lot of what your career represents to me because I can tell you I know some very talented actors. The bulk of their career has been children's theater, and they get the same sort of well it's children's theater, and I go, do you know how hard it is to entertain children? Do you know how hard it is to hold their attention? To engage them in something? You need the same skills that any fine dramatic or comedic actor needs.
Speaker 4: And by the way, they're an audience.
Speaker 2: And if you want an audience, mister Broadway, you better start showing these kids that they're shotting for them when they go to a theater. So this is a part of our business. And yet those actors get no love. They're thought of as being skillless and hacks. And it has always bothered me, especially with someone like you.
Speaker 4: And I'm not just being sweet.
Speaker 2: You are an immensely talented and original guy.
Speaker 4: You are an original thinker.
Speaker 2: I think what you do is complex and skilled and and as written as a monologust because you have to figure it out, you got to.
Speaker 4: Build it, you got to find you know.
Speaker 2: And it hurts my heart when when how He was here saying, you know, we were talking about how there are comics that just on you, and I go, what how dare they?
Speaker 4: How d?
Speaker 1: It?
Speaker 6: Says he coming.
Speaker 1: From from you, Jason, and and what how he was saying it is weird, And I guess what's what it really comes down to. And I used to make jokes better all, you know, Like I said, I've been in uh, I'll be in comedy forty years next year.
Speaker 6: So after forty years in comedy, at some point, you know, you kind of become.
Speaker 1: Like you know, you're invited to the barbecue, and it's like, we can't, we can't keep on you.
Speaker 6: But I think I think I'm the kind of guy who's just gonna sho I mean until I'm gone. It's just one of those guns.
Speaker 2: Well, because you know what you're there's nobody, nobody has become the new you.
Speaker 4: That's part of the too. So you occupy this very solo.
Speaker 2: Space and so it's easier for them to just keep doing the same rag because nobody else is feeling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I keep saying, where's the next spear top?
Speaker 6: And the people always ask why is there not one?
Speaker 4: Is it?
Speaker 1: Because nobody wants the pain, nobody wants the abuse. Trust me, it's like forty years of But the weird thing is, and I mean this from the bottom of my heart, I don't really listen to that anymore. When I was younger, I did, and it bothered me more. Now I kind of just do my thing and I have some of course, I have to have love, because I wouldn't still be doing this. So the amount of people that love being do what I do and the art, the craft of the art style of it that I've come up with are fans. You're always going to have the nails, and that's just part of of anything. I know people that hate you too. I know people that hate the Rolling Stones and I fuck but they do. So it's like, you know, you probably know. I mean, you know people like this, like I can't stand the Rolling Stones, and I'm like, okay, I don't know how that's possible, but you know these people said that will never I have a Netflix specialist, say for an hour, and I know there's still going.
Speaker 5: To people that go but Scott, that's because nothing's neutral there.
Speaker 3: If it was neutral, nobody would care.
Speaker 5: Once you cut through, man, somebody's gonna hate it, somebody's gonna love it. But your actor, I was gonna say, is thirty minutes of your actor more used to not be with any props too, right, Well, that's the new show is.
Speaker 1: Actually there's there's a lot where people actually been commenting on that.
Speaker 6: They're like, I saw your show, and you don't do that much props anymore.
Speaker 1: I'm like, well, I still do prop, but I've been having fun doing a little more stand up just for myself, not for any purpose of not to prove anything.
Speaker 6: It's just a purpose of just for myself. It's fun to tell a story.
Speaker 3: Isn't that real?
Speaker 5: Funny that they're coming out and I complaining he's not doing props.
Speaker 3: I went to see pros him to see freaking props. He's not doing props? The hell was that? And by the way, children, children's there? How we man done?
Speaker 5: When he was doing live shows for Bobby's World. The first thing he told me that the experts told him when you do a show for kids is start the show will allowed knowing and never forget this. And how he said, why do I have to start the show with a loud noise? And he said to make sure that your audience is all facing the right direction.
Speaker 6: Now that's great, that's so great.
Speaker 1: I love I love this.
Speaker 6: Howie has another one that made me laugh and I don't know why. It's it's not.
Speaker 1: It's just one of his things that I always remember.
Speaker 6: He's on an elevator in Atlantic.
Speaker 1: City or Vegas to say, he's by himself and the elevator.
Speaker 6: And the doors.
Speaker 1: The door's open, and uh, these people get on and they said are you are you Mandel? And he says yes, and he says, how come you're not smiling? And he thought, what the fuck?
Speaker 6: How weird woul that? Being said?
Speaker 1: The door's open, He's like, it's so dumb, and it's right. It's like people always ask me, are you okay? And I'm like, yeah, like you seem sad, I'm like, I'm having.
Speaker 6: Lunch by myself. I'm having I was having more fun.
Speaker 3: And so you talked to me also, are you are you still shy? You used to be very shy.
Speaker 6: Shy. Yeah, I'm very shy.
Speaker 3: Yeah it is sEH.
Speaker 2: No, No, it's I know more comics that are actually and I myself am you know, left to my own devices.
Speaker 4: I'm more more of an introvert than I would appear to be.
Speaker 1: I think I think most are, and I don't think it's it's a matter of trying to be.
Speaker 6: I think you just are your your.
Speaker 1: Your brain's always thinking about other sh like, I don't know, you're trying to think outside of a normal person. So they're all having doing shots and you're just sitting there by yourself, thinking there's something I could put the show about it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, do you? Is there is there an Act three for you? Is there something you want to be doing five ten years from now.
Speaker 6: That I don't know? That's a great question. You've a great question. I don't know if you know. I I've done.
Speaker 1: I've dabbled in some movie stuff and I've done a little, but I love live performance.
Speaker 6: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't think there's any more rewarding than coming off a show where you just get that instant feedback, and especially if it's something you just created and just brought in and.
Speaker 6: It kills and you just feel so proud about it.
Speaker 1: But there's always I guess you never know. There might be something. I just did a film where I get killed.
Speaker 6: It's kind of fun.
Speaker 1: I'd never been killed in a movie, so I played this clown and I'm just they beat the out of me until I die.
Speaker 6: But I had a funny.
Speaker 1: I had to make it funny because I'm just covered in blood and they're beating me to pull to the last you know, the director, I'm gonna die.
Speaker 6: And I finally look up at the director.
Speaker 1: I said, should he like because I had these pearls And I said I should be wearing pearls right, And he's like, I said, well, I'm a clown, but I'm not Cara Top.
Speaker 6: I'm just this guy.
Speaker 1: I said, how about the last line is he's just he's pulling on my pearls and I'm like, no, my grandma's pearls. So it ended on a big laugh. But I mean then he kills me. I mean just literally kills me. And then like two days later, my my cousin sends me my grandmother's pearls and I'm like, what the and she's like what. I'm like, I just did a movie at a joke about grandma's pearls, and you just sent me.
Speaker 4: And put it out there. Man, I've always wanted to do.
Speaker 6: I don't know if there's a chapter three, don't know. Maybe maybe porn.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's always good, especially good for the elderly. I like that.
Speaker 2: No, I always said a a r P. Porn is talking about like death scenes. I've always wanted to do. I've really always wanted to do this a really great dramatic scene. You know, there's always the thing that actors have to figure out when they play a guy that dies on screen.
Speaker 4: Are are you how are you going to do it?
Speaker 2: Are you going to just sort of subtly it's the last breath or somewhere the head leans over? And I thought, I really want to do a dramatic death scene that ends in a fart, my last dying, my last dying gesture, because that does happen, trust me, No, that probably does.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean bowels and bladders let loose.
Speaker 3: You know you'll never hear for that. Well, and excepting the oscar.
Speaker 5: You know, you say right now, but I think that the fart undercuts whatever dramatic death you have.
Speaker 2: That's the idea drama. There's always comedy, and in comedy there's always a.
Speaker 6: Druma no, that's a great that's a great end, and you're like, oh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, by way, by the way, and then in the act Carattop says, amazing, amazing that and by the way.
Speaker 4: A little bit of a call.
Speaker 2: I really don't really call back once I do that far. If the camera pushes in, I can play too far.
Speaker 5: Hey, stop before we go. I'm curious John Rivers. I was very close with Jonah. She played Vegas during the rat Puck years, and all of those people used to go see each other. They all used to hang out together and go to the lounges and see checks.
Speaker 3: Is Vegas at all like that? Still?
Speaker 5: Like, well, Pen and tell the call you and say, hey, let's go see this or let's check this out.
Speaker 3: Is it familiar at all?
Speaker 6: Well, teller doesn't say a thing, so it's kind of boring.
Speaker 1: No, But I I don't. I mean, you know what it might be, but I'm not being invited so that they might be. They might be having these parties and I'm like, wait, you guys have been having lunches.
Speaker 6: But I don't think so.
Speaker 2: I don't think so either, you know, having having hung out with Penn and tell her a little bit, they go home.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, I was just gonna say, I go home, I go home. I'm watching more to the Sports Center.
Speaker 6: Yeah I'm not so, you.
Speaker 2: Know, they may have somebody come back stage. Like when I go, I go backstage and we hang for half an hour, but then we don't go out.
Speaker 5: You know, I just wonder i'd like to figure that that world still exists, that you're with Beyonce in this one and that one going to see other shows.
Speaker 1: You know, No, I think I think I think going like my backstage, you're you're very bove by the way, both of you.
Speaker 6: Welcome to come, but not.
Speaker 1: For thirty minutes. Love love to have you come back and say hi and hang out. But that's that's more of like what I do. We have a little bar back there and we have drinks and then I go home.
Speaker 6: I don't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So anybody there you love that you went to see the Blue your White?
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, I mean of course you see all the big ones. You see the Elton John's and the Stones, and I missed. I missed amazing Jonathan.
Speaker 6: I thought he was.
Speaker 4: He was.
Speaker 1: He was one of a kind again like he was, there was there was no other person that was amazing Johnson. And I'll tell you, I'll give you a stupid ending to this. So see we had this when we did have like a like a lunch back back then. He said I had bought a hummer, like a stupid car. And he said, how do you like your hummer? And I said, you want to? I just bought one. You want to see mine? Now he's playing it straight as he can be, right, So I said, all right, we'll walk out of your hummer. So you walk all out the restaurant all the way to I mean all the way in the parking lot with the side of the world, and he's got his friends sitting on a curb going.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 1: The funniest thing about that is he set up.
Speaker 4: Up to set it up.
Speaker 6: Wait before wait for a half hour.
Speaker 1: I got him.
Speaker 4: I got Oh my god, that's brilliant.
Speaker 6: He had to wait.
Speaker 5: If you don't know the amazing Johnson, I got to tell you the first time we ever saw him, he would put a sheet over his his assistant said, his wife said, and he would hold up an item which she couldn't see, and she would have to guess what it was, and it was scissors, and he would say, what am I holding? And she would say she would say a spatula, and he'd hit her on the head with it and say what am I holding? And she'd get it wrong again, and eventually he would end up stabbing it into her head. They're sticking out and he go, what am I I mean? Oh my god, broke just brilliant. His wife has got scissors her head. I guess what they are, and.
Speaker 1: They had then his staple of her face with the cards, playing cards.
Speaker 3: He was stable of cards that we had. That's true, that's exactly.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: He'll be missed. He'll be missed. Do you like any of the magicians?
Speaker 4: Well, you're in You're in magic Central down there. For God's sake.
Speaker 6: Copper is a good friend of known him forever.
Speaker 3: What's he like hanging out with? Does he make chicken disappear? What you do?
Speaker 6: He should make the will disappear? But he doesn't. I end up paying for it.
Speaker 1: Well, No, he's a he's a guy.
Speaker 6: He's a great guy. He's a he's another guy.
Speaker 1: He's you're you're you sit there with him and you think of this guy is like, it's David Copponfield.
Speaker 6: So he's he's he's.
Speaker 1: Engaged, but he's thinking anything else that they can think of.
Speaker 6: Not talking to you. He's just thinking about his neck.
Speaker 1: He's looking at me and he's like huh, but he's thinking about the trick he's thinking about. He's brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, And it has always been very very nice to me, always been Yeah, I can't think of anyone that that's not been uh, that's been not been helpful nights.
Speaker 6: Everybody's been pretty.
Speaker 5: You are respect see that you are respected by your peers after all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know George Carlin, God bless him, one of my favorite comics. I got to know him a little bit towards the end. And and I love telling the story because it's just so weird. And and and Jason, you'll you'll appreciate this problem because you go. I I had, I had done the same room he at the MGM Grand and I there a night early, so I was on the side of the stage and his manager said, just wait right here. You know he's going to be so excited to see you.
Speaker 6: And I'm like, is he?
Speaker 1: So I'm I hate because I hate coming off the stage and seeing any shy if it's someone I know, it's it's like, it's that that one space where you want to even if you killed or your bomb, you just want to have a moment like I don't want to hear the crowd. I would tell my crew keep the monitors up as loud as I can so I can't hear them. So I come off. He comes off stage, not a not a great He was pissed, like really pissed.
Speaker 6: Instead of the crowd, you know what.
Speaker 1: He says something like, you know, next time you're in Vegas and I can't go to see that or can't get to the buffet, let's go see Karl. I don't ever come to see me whatever. He came off, and I'm like, oh god, I got the hide. I got to get out of here because now I know he doesn't want to see me. I'm like, turn to high round the curtain and he sees me and he's like, hey. I said, hey, George, how much of the show his seat? I said, I thought the whole thing was the whole thing? He said, wait, you mean the whole thing? I said it was great. That means you didn't see.
Speaker 6: The whole thing. I said, no, I saw the whole thing.
Speaker 4: He was great.
Speaker 1: And he said, uh, well that's a bunch of but anyway, and I just love this. He says, this is weird. He says when do you start and I said tomorrow. He's how many shows you do? And I said, I do one every night, but I do two on Saturday. He says, why do you do two? But he's in my face, like, what do you do? Why do you do two on Saturday? And I said, my manager has a car payment, right, just being dumb. And he says, no, seriously, why do you do to to Why do you do two on a Saturday?
Speaker 3: Why just want?
Speaker 1: And I said, again as a joke, I said, well, it's great because I get a second shot at it.
Speaker 6: If I one I got.
Speaker 1: I got like, maybe I'll think I'll do better in the second show. And he literally got as close as he could to my face, literally nose and nose, and he said, never can ever give the audience the upper hand. You do what you do, and you're and do what you do great. Never ever ever think that the audience deserves you do your performance. They didn't get it them and and it was got advice, I guess. And he walked into his dress room and I said to Jerry and his manager, I said.
Speaker 6: Well that went well. Should I hang out?
Speaker 1: And he said, yeah, actually you need to hang out because he loves you. He wouldn't have said that, he would have walked right by you.
Speaker 6: And sure was.
Speaker 1: Five seconds later he said, come in my in my dress room, and I went there and we.
Speaker 6: Didn't talk about comedy.
Speaker 1: At all.
Speaker 6: He just talked about life.
Speaker 1: I want to know where I was from, and you know, not even really the art process of writing a joke. He did like one of my jokes, which is where that he knew my actors is I'll leave you. I keep say I'm gonna leave you on this. It was my favorite prop to this day, probably that I ever came up with it, and George Carlin came up to me and said he liked it, So I thought George Carlin got blessing. So it was it was basically like like a paper cups and string phone right right, and I had paper cups in the string and I said, hey, what's going on?
Speaker 6: I said, you know they've had this for years.
Speaker 1: I said, we need to have an updated version of this for kids.
Speaker 6: So I made an updated.
Speaker 1: Version and it had another cup for call waiting that came out of the cups.
Speaker 6: I got to call you back. And George Carlin's it's weird coming from him. He's like that cup joke and call waiting, how about did you come up with that?
Speaker 1: And I said, oh no, And then I had three cups for conference calling.
Speaker 6: Anyway, went on and on in a clear.
Speaker 1: Cup for caller ID and he just sat there and.
Speaker 6: He says, Dad is brilliant.
Speaker 1: And I said, I pre I mean coming from you, and no, he says, that's great writing. I said, thank you, George, and then yeah.
Speaker 5: So everything you've told us, you know what you have again you got the respect of your George Carlin one of the well icons icons. So guess what, stop thinking. I think you got to rethink.
Speaker 1: Well to put it, to put it clearly. In fact, that's how I kind of started thinking about it at the end. If I would have a Bill Maher or George Carlin or even Richard Pryor shaking his hand on his wheelchair, he's out here a finding kid, you know, that would give me clarification of the validity of of of what I did. And then of course then you get on the internet and you got to get some guy in his bunk bed and iowa in a basement saying, you know, from characters.
Speaker 3: It's not so much more.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you're right. So the end of the day, you're laying you're like, look, Carlin said, I was.
Speaker 5: The biggest of the big except you love you and audiences sell out.
Speaker 4: You sell out.
Speaker 3: Eve Ben there like you said four years.
Speaker 1: I just love doing it.
Speaker 6: I love the art form.
Speaker 1: I love I love coming up with the process of a new joke and creating a new thing and presenting it and being able to do it.
Speaker 4: For too much. And there and by the way, there is that this is a great coute.
Speaker 2: There is the answer to my question, how the hell do you do the same thing for a thousand times? And at the end of the day, when I have left a show, it's because I couldn't find the love for it anymore. I had done it to the point where I was no longer doing it for anything that was invigorating to me. It was just something I was doing for somebody else. And at that point I would say, there's another actor that would love this job. You somehow could be your DNA or your character or whatever it is. But somehow, through the drudgery of getting down to that theater, you're working tonight?
Speaker 4: Are you doing a show tonight?
Speaker 6: No, I'm in Florida.
Speaker 1: I'm off for a week, Okay, I just I just have my bikini wax.
Speaker 4: I feel great, you know what.
Speaker 2: But somehow, at at five o'clock at night, when you go I gotta get in the car and going down to that goddamn theater. You still have something that you love about it, and that's that's how it's done.
Speaker 3: And you know what scene will come see you stay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's nothing. There's nothing that bothers me more in a comic. And I've known and you'll know if I tell them, I dropping names. Nothing nothing more disturbing in my life than a comic saying you had to go.
Speaker 6: And they'll say I got paid right, like.
Speaker 1: Hmm, yeah, I I I do it for the It's got to be which is a plus Enemie, such a perfections. I want to be great every night. If it's not, then to use it. It's also you've got to restart every night. And every crowd is like they want to see the best show that you see. You go up there and you lay flat like and I saw care to hey.
Speaker 4: Man, it's so good to talk to you.
Speaker 2: And next time I'm in Vegas, which probably be a couple months from now, I would absolutely love to come down and see the show again and come say.
Speaker 1: Thank you guys, Jason, thank you guys, brilliant, thank.
Speaker 5: You to see you soon, so real quick before we get to google him and David. The interesting thing for me is repetition. I started thinking about dentists and all these people who do repetition and why we find it so boring. So I did some research, and the interesting thing is we have process so much stimuli, so much stimuli comes into us that the stimuli that it gets our attention is the novel stimuli, because we're built for danger. If something coming in that's different in novel and whatever, and we process it differently and it gets our attention differently, which is why you remember your first kiss, your first this, your first that, because it somehow got your attention. Yeah, because and the other stimuli it can't. You can't process everything, so it pushes the ordinary down and process it. Kind of it is boring, which is why we look at experiences. It's kind of we need new experiences, we need a new rush, because that's not how your body evolutionary processes stuff. So that's that's the boy. Every night we're doing the same thing. And I got to tell you, even while talking to him, I hear you and I still can't get how you do Broadway every night.
Speaker 2: And I know, well, but Broadway is listen, it's the same script every night.
Speaker 4: It's the same show every night.
Speaker 2: But because I'm up there with different people, there are nuances of how the game. You know, volleyball is volleyball, but there are different passes and there's a different angle on the shot and the audience. And this is true for Scott too. The audience becomes a character in that particular performance. What are they responding to, what do they need to hear, what do they live? But it's it's never for me, and this is what I wanted to talk to him about. It's never for me the doing of the show. It's the going to the theater. It's that thing of going. I you know, I've had to parcel out the energy of the day because I got to explode now at seven or eight o'clock at night, and I got to be one hundred percent then. So I've lived monastically during the day and now it's you know, five point thirty, and I got a seven o'clock show, and I gotta get it showered, and I gotta go at the time when everybody's coming home, you're going out, and when you get in the theater, now you're with your community and.
Speaker 4: Now there's the buzz of get But it's the going. It's the getting there google him.
Speaker 7: We got to rap what you got some of the things that you were saying, Peter, as far as the repetitive jobs and what people could do and how long you could do them, And a lot of it has to do of course with tech. Right, we think that tech is good and roll by odds and AI and all these sorts of sorts of things are going to be removing these repetitive.
Speaker 4: Jobs from the workforce.
Speaker 7: But I've compiled a list of some of the repetitive jobs.
Speaker 4: That won't be replaced anytime soon. Buy technology.
Speaker 7: Number one I found is something that the rumba can't do, make your bed housekeeping at the at hotels.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right.
Speaker 7: Another one is you're not going to buy anything from Hal nine thousand, the telemarketer, anything from the human versions.
Speaker 3: Of that either. But that's okay, yeah, that means nothing. Of course.
Speaker 7: How about this one, Robbie the robot, what happens when he gets it wrong?
Speaker 4: The quality control inspector?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you need you need Well, they don't have names now, they're always number three, number six, number nine, don't mess with number nine.
Speaker 3: Sure that whatever tech is doing it right? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, sure, okay? Now, And here's another one.
Speaker 7: You don't want the T eight hundred to check out and clean your nether regions. The caregiving and personal assistance.
Speaker 2: Well, now it's interesting because everything you've mentioned, I have a potential pushback on the housekeeper. I do think what I think housekeeping is going to become is literally changing things out. They'll come in, they'll collect the dirty sheets and the towels, and they'll replaced. But I think there's going to be beds that make themselves. I think there's going to be self sanitizing rooms that are done with some sort of mist I think.
Speaker 3: I also think what's going to happen is what happened in the supermarkets with.
Speaker 5: Self chick out. Yep, they're all going to get together. It doesn't go you know what you do it.
Speaker 2: That's all of technology. All of technology comes down to I don't want to.
Speaker 3: I don't want to, So there's going to see you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you may be right, I mean, you know, I don't know. Maybe the home care caretaker. We do want the human touch. I don't think anyone would would want to sacrifice the human touch. But the human touch is sometimes more capable.
Speaker 5: Of flaws, except when it comes to sponge bath in mynother regions.
Speaker 3: I don't know that I want a robot.
Speaker 4: Doesn't matter to me. I'll take a robot, a good robot.
Speaker 3: Sure, because you're another reagion.
Speaker 4: Doesn't get in there, doesn't really get in there.
Speaker 2: You're another reason with that sense, I just need a robot that gets in there.
Speaker 3: You want anything.
Speaker 2: That's just you, because I want to tell you is something harder to find a human being that wants to get in there in the way that I need.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 4: I think I'm down to you.
Speaker 3: But it does not feel like an out.
Speaker 1: I think it's an ending.
Speaker 4: It is an ending.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no one wants to here. Jason's another region.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't know if that's not no One, but just not no one with a pulse.
Speaker 3: That's funny though, because of you. I looked this up.
Speaker 5: Nirvana didn't want to play smells like Team Spirit anymore. Robert Plant stopped Stairway to Heaven. Stairway to Heaven. Mister Roboti Stick said, no, no way, we're doing it. Bobby McFerrin, I'm not doing be Happy right. I've had it with shiny happy people. Ari Im didn't want to do it anymore.
Speaker 3: It's cracked up.
Speaker 2: Last time I went to a BILLI Joel concert. He's three quarters away through the concert and he goes, he doesn't make any bones, but he goes, all right, okay, everybody, dem.
Speaker 4: The lens, gus, get out your little fleshlank cameras.
Speaker 3: It's five o'clock.
Speaker 4: An he's at it.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because they just can't. They can't do it anymore.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, yeah, yeah, that's what I mean about when you can't. When I'm in a show and I go, I can't find the love for this anymore, that's the time.
Speaker 3: But he used to play.
Speaker 5: He used to tease the audience, play little pieces of it, but go shove it up here.
Speaker 3: I'm not doing it. I'm just not doing that.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: Really, no, thank you.
Speaker 4: You think this is an to become a repetitive job for us? Is this going to be a thing.
Speaker 2: Are we going to be doing this long enough that this is a repetitive job?
Speaker 4: Is this going to be it? Don't do it. I see what you're doing.
Speaker 3: You know what. Honestly, the fast thing you think here is different thing. She's ever repetited.
Speaker 4: You're right, it's never repeted. Let me do the repetitive part.
Speaker 2: New episodes of Really Don't Really drop every Tuesday on the iHeart app, on the Apple App, wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 4: You can go to really noreally dot com. If you want to communicate with us, tell.
Speaker 2: Us how much you love the show, or you know, say something nice about Carrot Top on our show. If you're watching on YouTube, please remember to like and subscribe. That helps us enormously. If you have a really no really that you'd like us to consider, let us know. We'll see what we can do. And in the meantime, I want to thank David, google him or google him as we go, and I actually.
Speaker 5: Want to email and know I get this because yeah, I just think I'm putting a Google on.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's Laurie.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you Scott, thank you, mister Tilden.
Speaker 4: And until next time, We'll be right.
Speaker 3: Here, right yeah moving, I mean I'm going anywhere.
Speaker 1: H