Speaker 1: You found it the Second Date Update Podcast. It's Brook and Jeffrey in the morning. Thanks for being here, especially on a Sunday, you know, and Sunday we've really been using to introduce you to all sorts of new relationship drama segments that we do on the show. And today I think it's the first one we've done on the Second Date Update Podcast. We're gonna do a closure call. Yeah, I mean sometimes, yeah, they really are.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's probably the most serious thing that we do on the show. Yeah.
Speaker 3: It is good serious, yeah, good serious.
Speaker 1: And just emotional maybe is a better word than serious intense maybe, yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't laugh at all.
Speaker 3: Cry, grab your tissues, get ready.
Speaker 1: A closure call is where we have our producer work with one of our listeners to get in touch with somebody from their past. It could be like a family member, a lot of exesmate that just disappeared once. Yeah, which is a hint for what today's is, by the way. Anyway, they come up with questions to ask this person that has broken off contact with them, sometimes like years and years ago. Yeah yeah, and then we read the responses live on air and hopefully at the end, you know, give them a chance to move forward.
Speaker 5: You know, because they don't know they're going to hear this.
Speaker 6: It's not the goal. It's not the goal, but sometimes it does happen. So now you understand what it is. Hopefully you enjoy it definitely. Let us know in the comments. We love reading your comments.
Speaker 1: We got some today.
Speaker 3: Yes, I saw one from So Original. Yes, I'm many o's okay, Yes, who said? My favorite moments are when Jeffrey's genuine laugh sneaks out. It's hilariously adorable.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he tries to suppress it.
Speaker 1: I swear he has to. He works with us because off air jeff laughs so much.
Speaker 3: And I was like, he's those people that makes me feel really good about myself because he laughs at everything you say.
Speaker 1: No, sometimes when we'll go out to drinks, will be like on the first drink and like, are you are you drunk?
Speaker 4: Always look, I don't think he's an alcoholic, but no, he's got.
Speaker 5: One beer in front of him and some good food.
Speaker 1: Happy. Yeah, I know. All right, listen to the closure call. Thanks for being here. We got a brand new show tomorrow of course too, so come back. But hope you enjoyed.
Speaker 7: Who knows you better than anyone else. You may think your mom, or your sibling, or your spouse, but now the truth is, nobody sees you like a roommate sees you.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, you're right, you're my old roommate.
Speaker 5: Probably knows more about me.
Speaker 2: Than my family.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they know all your annoying little habits, your lazy tendencies, and what your soapy silhouette looks like through that shower curtain.
Speaker 5: Wait, what they've seen.
Speaker 7: That's why one of our listeners is so distraught because he and his roommate became real close friends till everything suddenly changed on a random day four years ago, and he has never got the answers for what really happened on that day.
Speaker 5: That's why he's.
Speaker 7: Enlisted our help for a brand new closure call. We're gonna get some answers coming up right after this. Who knows you better than anyone else. You may think your mom, or your sibling, or your spouse, But now the truth is, nobody sees you like a roommate sees you.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, you're right, you're my old roommate.
Speaker 5: Probably knows more about me than my family.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they know all your annoying little habits, your lazy tendencies and what your soapy silhouette looks like through that shower curtain.
Speaker 5: Wait, what they've seen.
Speaker 7: That's why one of our listeners is so distraught because he and his roommate became real close friends till everything suddenly changed on a random day four years ago, and he has never got the answers for what really happened on that day. That's why he's enlisted our help for a brand new closure call. We're gonna get some answers coming up right after this. We've been doing closure calls for a while now, and most of the time when people need closure, it's from an ex boyfriend or a family member, which I know, in Brooks case is sometimes the same thing.
Speaker 5: We're a little confusing.
Speaker 7: But today today is interesting because I'd say not a lot of people feel like they need closure from a past roommate.
Speaker 1: Oh I could see that.
Speaker 5: Yes, I mean I try to avoid most of mine.
Speaker 7: But apparently that's what our listener, Adam is looking for today, closure with one of his past roommates. So, Adam, welcome to the show.
Speaker 4: Hey, oh thank you.
Speaker 1: Is this person just a roommate, because usually roommates are also your best friends and people that you love, you know, and care about.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: He was just a roommate and then we became really close buddies. God, I moved into.
Speaker 7: A house where I literally found it on craigslist, didn't know anyone, and then we became best friends.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, that's the easiest way to be friends with somebody and you know everything about them immediately, you know.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, I mean that's how it was with him. We became great friends really quickly.
Speaker 1: Oh man, But some friends you can't live with.
Speaker 3: It's different.
Speaker 7: And because this is a closure call, how long has it been since you were roommates with this guy?
Speaker 1: Like, he's not in the next room right now, is he?
Speaker 4: No? I wish he's not here. He has been gone for four years now.
Speaker 5: Oh wows.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wait did he move out of your guys's place?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So the way it all went down was things were cool, and all of a sudden he just wasn't there.
Speaker 1: What do you mean, like in the middle of the night he moved his stuff out or what.
Speaker 4: I would get home from work. I worked really early shifts and I would get home around two three pm. And he was there, always there every single day, showed up at home. The door's wide open, there's no note or anything.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: It kind of freaked me out. Kat was still there.
Speaker 1: Wait, his cat? Your cat? Whose cat?
Speaker 2: It was?
Speaker 4: His cat? I mean, I love the cat. You know, I was a cool roommate. I fed the cat, played my cat.
Speaker 1: Was your roommate kidnapped and you never filed a report?
Speaker 7: Yeah, because he's like I just heard help, help, help from down the street.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what I thought. I was freaking out, and I didn't call authorities or anything, and I waited a day or two. So I started asking around to different friends and families, and they were told from him that he just didn't want to be my roommate anymore.
Speaker 7: What I thought you said that you guys were like good buddies.
Speaker 4: We were great buddies. We had movie night.
Speaker 7: Oh man, I can't a movie night anymore.
Speaker 5: This is a tragedy.
Speaker 1: I can't get over him leaving the cat. Did he take his stuff when he left?
Speaker 4: He took some stuff he took like some of his clothes, But he left PlayStation.
Speaker 2: He left like essentials.
Speaker 7: I mean, that's upset about the PlayStation more than the cat got to give up.
Speaker 1: I feel like it sounds for a weekend trip, and it was like, actually this is nicer. I'm gonna say.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I know that I wasn't perfect. There were things that kicked them off. I would eat his food sometimes.
Speaker 7: Well did he label it food?
Speaker 2: Not allowed to do that, guy, there is no labels.
Speaker 5: Well there you go.
Speaker 1: You got there's only two of you living there. You don't have to label it.
Speaker 7: If it's not yours, then if you didn't want me to eat it, don't put it.
Speaker 5: In our fridge. It's a shared space. What you're going la each out of the couch.
Speaker 1: Now, remind me never to be a roommate with Jeffrey. So wait, do you think he was mad at you? Because that's what you're kind of.
Speaker 4: Implying, I mean me eating some of his food every now and then. Or the other big one was that I hardly ever did dishes.
Speaker 1: You didn't do your own dishes and you ate his food.
Speaker 2: Move.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's not that dramatic.
Speaker 4: You know. I cleaned the cat's litter and I held up my end of some of the bargain, and I could do more dishes if that was the issue.
Speaker 1: But he never talked to you about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I couldn't have just been about silly little things like that. And I know it's kind of weird because he was just my roommate and I know it was four years ago, but still it is haunting me that this person would just up and go. And I really would love some closure.
Speaker 2: I would love to know what I did.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 7: Okay, yeah, yeah, So if our audience doesn't know or remember how the segment works, Adam does.
Speaker 5: Obviously.
Speaker 7: Our producers have been working with him to track down his roommate, Roy, and we went to Roy's Instagram. Actually, our producer has been sending him a lot of messaging is and Roy finally responded. We asked him if we could send him four questions from Adam.
Speaker 1: Okay, and these are questions that Adam came up with with our producer.
Speaker 5: Yes, with help.
Speaker 6: When you ask him that, do you say this doesn't count as one of the questions.
Speaker 7: Because he did agree to answer four brand new questions and we got his responses ready Right now, this could get a little bit intense for you.
Speaker 5: Adam, Are you ready for it?
Speaker 4: Did you already read him? Do you already know what he should?
Speaker 5: I haven't read them?
Speaker 1: Now, do you know they're intense.
Speaker 5: Well I'm just guessing, all right, I don't know.
Speaker 7: We're all going to read them together and find out what happened to your old roommate Roy, hopefully give you a little bit of finality on it when we do, what.
Speaker 1: Brook, Can I just ask, where's the cat down? I was wondering that to you.
Speaker 7: If that's not in the questions that was asked, then we don't have anywers the cat.
Speaker 2: The cat is sitting by my feet right now.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, needed to get animals.
Speaker 4: We're on speaker phone. So if it's anything that would really hurt the cat's feeling, okay, well.
Speaker 7: Maybe that cat when we come back and do the rest of your closure call right after this.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 5: If you're just joining us.
Speaker 7: We're in the middle of a closure call with Adam, who, just to recap, had a roommate named Roy, and four years ago Adam came home to find Roy was gone, Yes, along with most of his belongings, left behind his cat and a video game system.
Speaker 1: They were friends. Like, it's so crazy, I am so invested in this. Yeah, that's right, Jose.
Speaker 7: No no orientication as to where Roy went. So Adam has been wondering for years where did my buddy go?
Speaker 5: And who's going to do my dishes now?
Speaker 7: Because Adam, you admitted there were certain things you did as a roommate that were not so good. Certain things were really good. But what was the overall dynamic between you and Roy?
Speaker 4: If I were to paint a picture, we were jokesters. To guess there was a lot of laughter going on.
Speaker 1: That's a good sign. Well, it's so weird because the friends and the family all said that he left because he didn't want to be roommates. Yeah, so it was obviously planned a little bit exactly.
Speaker 7: And before we get to these questions, that's the reason that Adam reached out to us in the first place, because hearing stuff like that must hurt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everybody said the same thing.
Speaker 4: I don't I don't even want to accept that that is what he said.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, say that you're hut.
Speaker 7: All right, Well, let's get right to it, because we have the four questions that you sent to Roy.
Speaker 5: He has answered all four of them. Let's get some question. Number one.
Speaker 7: You said, hey man, it's been almost four years. I still don't know why you moved out without telling me or leaving a note. I felt like we were great friends and I'd like some closure.
Speaker 5: Not much of a question, that's more of a statement there. But you know, I'm not going to critique you.
Speaker 1: That was the end.
Speaker 2: There's no okay, Yeah, there.
Speaker 5: Was no question. It's like, can you explain?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's more like yeah.
Speaker 7: So Roy responded, he wrote, really you have no idea?
Speaker 5: Adam?
Speaker 1: What? Adam?
Speaker 5: Okay? For starters? You stole my cat.
Speaker 1: I what are you talking about? Yeah? You said that Roy left the cat. Is that not true?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: He left the cat.
Speaker 5: Here what he says.
Speaker 7: I was the one who brought the cat into the house and called him Paul. You changed his name to Fluffy Bottoms and even got his tag change to reflect that.
Speaker 1: That's kind of weird.
Speaker 4: First of all, much better name.
Speaker 2: Is a and the cat liked it.
Speaker 1: No, No, I think Paul is actually pretty funny. Yeah, we're gonna I just can't believe you changed. You're starting to switch the team Roy right now.
Speaker 4: I can't believe that he would be holding a grudge for four years over the cat.
Speaker 2: HA been an extra little puzza.
Speaker 7: Well, well, there's there's more to his first answer. He also said you would keep him in your room at night than lock your door and pretend to be asleep when I wanted to see Paul. So that's one example of your incredibly toxic behavior right there.
Speaker 1: Toxic. He dropped the word on you.
Speaker 2: The cat wanted to sleep with me.
Speaker 4: Okay, if you want the cat and everyone locks their door when they go to bed at night.
Speaker 1: Listen, Yeah, we're not trying to attack you, but it sounds like you need to take a moment to take a deep breath and accept some Okay.
Speaker 7: The only person who could honestly answer that is his cat, And so we don't have time to do a whole questionnaire for the cats.
Speaker 5: We have to stick with the questions to Roy.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 7: Let's go to number two. It says, I know I wasn't the perfect roommate.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's good. That's admitting some guilt, therefire responsibility.
Speaker 7: If it was something I did when I lived with you, Could you please give me a specific example that I could grow from.
Speaker 3: Did I get it?
Speaker 1: More?
Speaker 5: Sure?
Speaker 7: But remember when we write these, we don't have the answers back one at a time. We send them all in one mass email.
Speaker 1: Adam, are you ready to hear this? Because it didn't feel like you were ready to hear the cat.
Speaker 2: Now this situation, I will accept it.
Speaker 4: The cat threw me off. That threw me off.
Speaker 7: I feel optimistic about where this is going. So his response was, Okay, you want more about Netflix Sundays. When we would plan on watching a movie together every Sunday, and then once.
Speaker 5: We were a half hour in, you'd pause.
Speaker 7: The film and tell me the ending what you thought it was hilarious, and did that ten times until I stopped watching movies with you.
Speaker 5: Maybe once made.
Speaker 1: Funny.
Speaker 7: Well, sometimes sometimes it's better to spoil the ending so you don't suffer a bad movie.
Speaker 1: He did it before the movie started. You let the man get a half an hour into a film and then ruined it.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, I will say, and I'll say calmly, that is fair. It's not worth losing a friendship over. Okay. I may have told him the ending of Breaking Bad, but it was very funny.
Speaker 5: I still the ending of that.
Speaker 1: Actually, how many seasons into Breaking Bad were you before you ruin the end?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 7: I mean, brook is really offended over the spoiling of movies.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'll tell you there was one time when my husband ripped out the last two pages of a book.
Speaker 4: I was invested in, hystericle.
Speaker 1: It's a sa.
Speaker 5: Maybe if you need a new roommate, Brooks husband could be it.
Speaker 1: But did Roy ever tell Did Roy ever tell you that he didn't like that?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 5: He did, Brook.
Speaker 7: This is not a closure call for you and watching and book reading. This is for Adam with his old roommate and.
Speaker 1: It's not going well. That's the next question, Jeff.
Speaker 5: He's a question question number three that we sent Joy.
Speaker 4: If I need to hear anymore, well, Brook needs.
Speaker 7: To hear.
Speaker 5: We sent.
Speaker 7: I know it's been a long time, but it would really mean a lot to me if you came to my birthday party next.
Speaker 5: I would love to see you.
Speaker 1: That's really sweet.
Speaker 2: I'd like him there. It's my birthday.
Speaker 5: It's a big pew.
Speaker 7: So Roy responded back, saying, are you trolling me with this? Don't you remember the great birthday disaster? You threw me that surprise birthday party but forgot to invite me or did you do it on purpose?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 7: I came home and the party was done, all my friends had left, Then you showed me the picks on Instagram?
Speaker 5: What happened there?
Speaker 4: Adam, that's just okay. I did a lot of work for it, and I went and I got the cake, and I did all the secret invites, shut.
Speaker 2: Up the whole party. And it was an honest mistake.
Speaker 4: I just forgot the one thing.
Speaker 1: Oh wait, I forgot Text him in the middle of the party, tell them to get over to the house.
Speaker 2: We were having fun.
Speaker 5: I'm sure you left him a slice of cake for when he got home, right.
Speaker 7: Roy, What were we talking about?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Roy's birthday.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I totally did not do it on purpose. I know that it sounds like I did, okay.
Speaker 1: And how that stuff that all of his friends didn't stay.
Speaker 4: And just.
Speaker 5: It was a really good party that he's through. Obviously, it sounds.
Speaker 1: Like Roy's not coming to Adams.
Speaker 7: Bird hold on, we have time for one more question here. This could salvage the entire friendship and maybe even have him moving back in with you, because.
Speaker 1: I hope you're learning something from this.
Speaker 7: Adam wrote, no matter what I did, do you think you could ever forgive me?
Speaker 2: Statement?
Speaker 5: Brook doesn't forgive you, But there.
Speaker 4: You know so well. The subtext is there's a question there of do you forgive me? Will you come back to me and the cat.
Speaker 7: The cat you kind of stole and renamed and locked in your bedroom. So he responded, no dot, And I know all this would happen again if we hung out. You're way too immature, and life's a big joke to you, Like every time you'd ask me to stop at the drive through on the way home and pick up food, then you'd call ahead and tell the workers I was a missing person.
Speaker 5: It got old.
Speaker 4: Found that was funny though it was created.
Speaker 7: Even Brooks laughing at that one.
Speaker 5: Every twenty to be actually good.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing, Adam, You've got to balance all this stuff with also some meaningful relationship things.
Speaker 2: I'd think it was balanced, though.
Speaker 1: I feel like you just made his life living hell.
Speaker 2: I'm willing to accept that he doesn't want to come back.
Speaker 4: I'll have to break it to the cat, and I don't know how the cat's gonna take this.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 7: At the end of the day, the goal was to get some closure for you, Adam, about what happened to your roommate.
Speaker 5: Do you feel like you got it?
Speaker 4: You know what I did get closure. Life is a giant joke, and I thought was the jokester with me, but apparently he's taken it all serious.
Speaker 5: To find the middle ground there anyway, go ahead at him.
Speaker 7: Feel free to hop on Craigslist and get yourself a new roommate.
Speaker 1: Hopefully none of them listen to this.
Speaker 5: And happy belated birthday to Roy by.
Speaker 4: The way, if you're listening, I don't wish him happy birthday.
Speaker 2: He's not going to be there.
Speaker 5: It's my birthday.