Speaker 1: Hey, ba fan, Mandy here or Mandra, you can call me Mandra, that's fine. I have a simple request for you, guys. We get so many questions on how you can support the show, and there's really a very very simple thing that we need you guys to do. Open up this app, open up wherever you're listening to this podcast right now, and subscribe if you have the ability, especially those of you who are on iTunes. We're really making a push to get the show more visible. You've seen that we've partnered with a fabulous new network called Westwood One. But we also need the support of our listeners. So if you are a listener, a loyal listener, please subscribe, And if you haven't yet, take a few seconds and leave a five star review, and even a written review would be the icing on the cake. But at least subscribe, leave us a five star review, and continue to support the show. This is so so crucial. It is basically how we tell the Internet that our podcast is worth promoting and featuring and getting charted, and we deserve to be at the top of the charts, just like any other show out there. Can't do it without your support, So thank you very very much. Subscribe, like and review the show, and we thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Hey hey, hey, I always forget this is not the budget, Like, wait, we're back, We're blacken arownd.
Speaker 1: Hey Mandra, Hey, I feel weird that I was just like.
Speaker 2: Dude, I know, Mandra came to my house and you got to meet my Niecy Pooh and my nephew, my nephew Pooh.
Speaker 1: I did well. First of all, it was so good to see you in person, it really was. And even with your gimpy shoulder. I you know, I forgot about your gimpy shoulder, but I was like even before that, I was like, don't squeeze her too hard. But it was really really good to see you. It fed my soul to see and you guys will see that what we were up to. It's been almost six years and we have not had a fresh new luke, as they say, in almost six years for the podcast. So we were getting some new picks taken.
Speaker 3: Yes, and honestly they were. They look fire.
Speaker 2: I'm just really excited because no, they do. Because well, one I brought in my makeup artist, Leela Nima. Shout out to you, Mala, She's l I.
Speaker 3: L I l A n E E M A on.
Speaker 2: Honestly, she's great because she's fast, she's professional and like, you know, Mandy and I could not look more different, and yet the sleigh was was available and attainable for us both, you.
Speaker 1: Know, and I trusted her fully. I was like, because I had to go, you know, I was. I live about an hour away from tiff and so I didn't know anybody locally. So I was like, but I've seen Tiffany, especially lately, and I'm like, she looks good, so I will trust you. Ever has been doing her face, So Leila did it, and she's she's a true artist. And I don't take makeup artists for granted, but she yeah, like you were saying, I mean, she knows exactly what medium you're using and how to make your face up for that medium. And yeah, six years ago, I did not have Alila. I did not have money for Alila.
Speaker 4: I had.
Speaker 1: I had my sad little drug store makeup and make up on the train on the way to Tiffany's apartment is how, you know.
Speaker 2: And I looked at I looked at the picture because I was like, did I get makeup done professionally?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: Because I know that eyelighter. That is a Tiffany special. I was looking at it.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh my god, that's my birds p's lip gloss and that's the eyelighter.
Speaker 2: I know. I was like that I noticed me. So yeah, neither one of us had professional makeup. And honestly, what I love about Leilah because you don't we don't look because you know, she knew we wanted to look natural, but it just honestly, they just look really great the pictures, every picture. And then Tanta, I mean, you just she's an amazing photographer.
Speaker 1: So yeah, black girl magic all the way up down, all the way. I mean, whenever you're around you can't. It was like whenever you're around you and the people us surround world, it's just all black girl magic. So your sister, I'm at Tracy, Tracy el PR publicist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was me, and I'm sur because honestly, my niece and my nephew they don't like people. The fact that like we always showing me Mandy around the house and they were going room to room and they're the time to be like, oh there's someone on foot, let me go hide in the corner. And they were just like in there like, hey, hey lady, I'm like, they must know me rio on you because I'm like, oh, so like you like miss Mandy because y'all don't like nobody.
Speaker 1: She looked like she got snacks.
Speaker 2: So that was really fun. We just honestly, I just it. Plus it was just so empowering because I'm not gonna lie. Those pictures look so gorgeous, you know you Normally I'm just at home looking like how I'm looking, you know, And so when you get to take a photo and you know, with like the best makeup with this amazing photographer, and you look at every picture these are untouched pictures and You're like, is that wah? I mean, I hope Mandy posted one picture that she has. It's like, I'm like, where is the lauriot? Where are where is? I don't even know, like who makes makeup anymore? It looks like for real? I was like no, but meaning like it looked like an ad. You look so beautiful.
Speaker 1: It was like it was coming from the inside. It was the joy I really and I was really down when we when when I showed up, it was not the day in my life when it necessarily would have chosen to have an entire photo shoot and had to put myself on camera like I was, you know, ladies. You know, it was that time of the month, and I was like, why did I plan? But by the time I was by the time I had like my girl Stacy didn't got my curls right in the morning and she lifted me all the way up. I was like a pile of mud in her in her chair and I just shout out to to Stacy for real, because she she started my journey back to myself. And then by the time you get with Tiffany and Tanta with her photography and then Leela with the makeup and all the good vibes, it really came from within and it was, uh yeah, it was just the joy I think of and also just being back together. You have that giddiness of like socializing again.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 1: It was good and I'm really glad that we we captured ourselves. It's been a long time. We've been talking about doing this for months and months and months, and I'll be honest, I used to be like, yeah, we don't really need to do Pansioner because like I've put on some weight since we did the first one. But you know, what screw it. Like I think at a certain point you just have to accept yourself in the in the space that you are. And I think my mind was really in a good place, which made it even more fun. So I can't wait to see for y'all to see the the picks and all the fun stuff we have coming up.
Speaker 2: Yes, speaking of minds and my mindset, so literally I have been really like you know how like you hear all the like mumbo it seems like mumbo jump up, like mindset, change your mind set, change your life, and you're like yah, yeah, yeah, YadA YadA yadasmaa, right, because that's usually what I think. And I'm like, I mean, I I know it, like I do believe, like you know, in the general principle of course, if you're always thinking negatively, negative things come about. But I have been like, that's that's like kind of been the next wave. So y'all know, I'll have a Zion who's my executive business coach. But I also have doctor Green who's who's my professional coach, and she's also a.
Speaker 1: Therapist, and so you're still working with a business coach.
Speaker 2: Som hm. So we have a year contract. So it's up in November. If we decide to move forward, then we will. So I meet with him every other week, and I meet with the same thing. I meet with doctor Green every other week as well. So one of the things that we've been working on, because if we've worked on so many different things, and you know, like me feeling more like in charge of my life and having the hard conversations and me, I've been making progress if I do say so myself, and I do say so myself. So, but then the next kind of step is I've always known, not always known, but you know how you know you have Like I knew I had a limiting my said, because sometimes I just can't see a thing even though like for example, when we had Imman and.
Speaker 3: Christina on oh Yeah, Christina, Yeah Arbager.
Speaker 2: Remember that level of joy that they just exuded, and I was like, I don't think I could get there, because how do you get there? It's like sometimes it's like my mind used to really block that in order to be successful. I had told myself because this is what the world tells you, that you have to work really hard. But then if you want to go to the next level of success, my assumption is like let's just say, like I told you all, last year, my company crossed over the ten million mark, and I was like, and then someone was like, what, You're gonna go to twenty million this year? And I honestly was like, I don't want to because in my mind, it was so much work to get to the ten. The assumption for me was I have to do double the amount of work to get to the twenty. And honestly, Mandy, I have purposely not been doing the work. And if I really look back at it, I remember even when the first time I got all a's in like third grade or something like that, and then my dad was like, great, you could keep this up, and I remember thinking like, I don't want to do the work required in order to do it, because I convinced myself that the more success, the more work involved. And so I've been trying to undo that thinking, and it's been really hard, because the truth is, with the right foundation, I've been relearning that money is not hard to manage or make. It sounds like so crazy and like, of course it's hard to make, and I'm like, no, that's not true, Tiffany. If jay Z wanted to make a million dollars. Today, he can likely just pick up a call and do some sort of partnership and it would be worth a million dollars or more. Money With the right foundation, is not hard to make. And even you might think like, oh, well, of course that's jay z no no. But even me, I remember one time, like this is maybe like four or five years ago, we had partnered with this financial brand that I really liked, and they said, we're doing free investment plans and they said for every person dream that gets a free investment plan, will give you twenty five bucks. And I was like, okay. I went through and I did the investment plan myself because I'm like, I'm not sharing that with drink Catches unless I like it. And I liked it because I had just paid an investment advisor twelve hundred dollars and their plan that I did, like online, was so similar to his. I realized I wasted twelve hundred dollars. So that's it made me say I'm going to share it. So Logan, who's my content writer, I was like, okay, Logan, let's share this, and I said, share the story how I just paid for a plan and it is I would say ninety to ninety five percent what I got what I paid twelve hundred dollars for this free plan, and we sent out that email girl in three days, it generated about one hundred and fifty dollars.
Speaker 3: One hundred and fifty thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: That's fair.
Speaker 2: And that was just you know what I mean, that was just one email. And since then, I mean, I've done partnerships with people. The last one that we did in a weekend, we generated seven hundred thousand dollars. And I'm sharing those big numbers because even though we've done those things, I still was convincing myself the bigger the success, the harder the work, and that's not true because if that is so, then I cannot possibly work any harder than I'm working. Now, does that mean I'm capped as how far? With how far I can take, you know, whatever success I seek. So I've been trying to unlearn that like pattern, and because I had been afraid to dream big because to me, dreaming big met working big, and I don't want to work any harder. And so I've just been like un learning, like you know that that mindset. And I'll give you an example of something where I finally realized, like, Okay, I think I'm getting it. Like a college reached out to me and said, hey, Tiffany, we love get it with money. We bought it for our students, like our freshmen or whatever. Do you have any corresponding curriculum or course? And I instantly got stressed because I was like, oh great, so now after writing this book for a year and a half, now I got to write a course that's going to take me some more time. And I don't have time, and I'm so tired. I was already spiraling when doctor Green was like, Okay, that is the example of that more success college bis the course more work for Tiffany.
Speaker 3: But is that true? Tiffany?
Speaker 2: And I was like, She's like, is there any other instance in your life where there's a course that you did not have to write? That was like and I knew exactly what she was talking about. I was like, Hey, yes, So if y'all know, I have my literature challenges. These are free courses that I have available to everybody at literature challenge dot com. And the last three I hired a course writer named Taylor, who's amazing. Taylor has been with me for like eight years. Started as an intern. Then I taught her how to write you know tale, Yes, I taught her how to write courses. I taught her write for a London Tree exactly. So Taylor was amazing. And then I thought, Tiffany, you already wrote the book. Why not just say hey, Taylor, here's the book. Please turn it into a course. And I was like, oh, yeah, so I I just tailor on Facebook. I think Taylor lives like in Europe somewhere because she's married now to the baby. And I was like, hey, Taylor, because I know before she wasn't doing work and she had just had the baby. I was like, are you still doing work? And she said, yeah, I am now the baby's a little older. And I said, I'm thinking about turning the book into a course. And then I got what I like to call god nod, which is like when you're on the right track and you get a little nod, a little wink from God or the universe, whatever you believe in. And she was like, I already ordered the book.
Speaker 3: I have it already. I was like, oh.
Speaker 2: I was like, can you take a look at it and see what you you know, like create a proposal to turn into a course. So let's just say this college wants to buy the program for one hundred thousand dollars, and I do ten colleges. That's a million dollars right there, And because I already had the foundation. So I'm trying to learn that you can grow without doing this extra heavy left and I just hope that that lands for someone that so many of us dream cheap and small because we have thought that like, the more the bigger the dream, the more the work. And that's not necessarily true. That your dreams honestly should be expansive, expensive and huge, because dreams are free to dream. So why are we picking up our dreams at the dollar store? Like, no, have a huge dream, because you'd be surprised it likely is not as much work as you think. And dreaming small means that you also live a smaller life. And I'm just done with that way of thinking. I want to think like big and expansive, like Iman and Christina, where you can have all the things. They don't have twenty million dollars in their bank account, and yet they're living it up and in Portugal with their amazing daughters and having this amazing life like their dream didn't cost as much as you would think, and here they are super happy. Me and Mandy felt their palatable joy on our on our I don't remember what episode that was, but you guys should look it up. You can actually feel their joy over and over the airwaves. So I just wanted to share that, like that mindset shift, how critical that is.
Speaker 1: And you know, yeah, yeah, I think we've all had those times in our lives where we have let the fear of failure keep us thinking small. And I mean for a lot of for some people, it may just be a toxic personality in your life. I was just on I just saw something like someone had quoted Lady Gaga getting an interview about an ex boyfriend of hers who said she would never have a hit song and she would never do this, never win a grabby, all of her dreams were dumb. And she told that person, you know, forget you. I'm gonna one day you're not going to be able to go to the gas station without hearing one of my songs. And let me, of course, look at her now, she's phenomenal. And I think in our lives you do have like the fit like sometimes it is like an actual person, a parent or a partner, or a spouse or a sibling or whoever is like your negative nancy and always bringing you down and making you feel small. So you have to watch out for them, but you also have to wait to watch out for I think what tif's talking about, which is your internal dialogue, and how you are speaking to your own self about your dreams and what the stories that you're telling yourself about if you have the ability to achieve what you set out to achieve. And I couldn't agree more in the sense that you have a lot of control, even more control than you think, over your own destiny. But you have to look at the fear and understand why you feel that way, and also know that you're honestly the only person who can change the way that you're thinking about, whether it's your career or your relationship or the money you have in the bank. There's so much that you can control, but there's also like physically that you can control. You know what job you have and how much you're saving, but it is your mindset and what you think is possible. And I'll tell you something like I remember, I don't know how many years ago was this it was like twenty four fifteen something like that. I was like, I was in a lull in in my confidence and stuff, and I remember, I don't know if this fun remembers what we were on, like a nature walk or something like that. And I was like, you know what, I'm going to write a book that just says the pow it's the power. It's caught and be called The Power of Mediocrity by Mandy Woodruff. And it's going to be a book all about how people are so unhappy because they keep trying to like achieve these crazy dreams and have the perfect partner and the perfect job. What if we just stop trying? And I was like really passionate, and this person looked at me and he was like, I don't that sounds like good book. People are definitely going to buy a book like that. But I think it was just and I think about that all the time, and I'm like you I was, I was. It was indicative of my mindset at the time. I would not write that book today because I think that was just myself trying to give myself an excuse to be to settle for or not settle, but to be okay with what I what I had versus what I thought I would deserve or what I thought I could achieve. I'm not going to say it was like a one and done conversation, but it's certainly I'm much I'm much smarter about it now. In any time a new whether it's a career change, or it's a new opportunity with brown ambition, or you know, something that comes up in my personal life, if it's new and scary and an unknown, I just try to keep a very open mind. There's no harm that can come from entertaining an idea and letting that idea, you know, being open to it. And if you have that energy of being open to possibilities, I truly feel like and I don't want to get too granola, but you said the universe earlier. I think you attract stuff to you, you know, when you have the good energy and the good vibes, and it really does come from within. How do you get there? Tiff?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: How do the people? How do you get there?
Speaker 5: You?
Speaker 1: For example, business coach, your life coach therapist, life coach therapist have have helped. Yeah, I think for some like what would you say to people who were like I just can't get out of this funk, Like, how do I so.
Speaker 3: Want to change my mindset?
Speaker 2: My friend Jessica and I think hergy is like, it's catch me if you can. So she's the first black woman to ever visit every country in the world and yeah, it like two years ago.
Speaker 3: She's amazing. So I was talking to.
Speaker 2: Her and I was like, you know, like doing the whole Like I don't know.
Speaker 3: She said, Tiffany, You're dope. I'm like, I don't know.
Speaker 2: She's like, girl, what she said, I'm gonna do for you what I do for my other friends. She said, girl, I am virtually slapping you, like wake up. She's like, look to the left and look to the right of youtivity. Who do you see nobody. I was like, oh, don't say that. She's like, I'm sorry, No, you've created a lane for yourself. It doesn't mean that you know that other people are not doing amazing, but this is your lane that you've created for yourself. What you're doing is amazing. Step into that and I was like, I guess and she's just like no. She said, you know what you forgot how to dream? I want you to do this activity And I said, okay, and I want I think we should all do it collectively. When I tell you it's so good, I was like, okay, So she said, I want you to do this activity five to ten minutes. I want you to be someplace quiet, you know, beautiful. Maybe it's your park, maybe it's your bedom wherever, and either on on. You could do it like on in a journal piece of paper, or if you're someone who's a little bit more verbal, you might want to do a voice note and for five to ten minutes. I want you to dream without hesitation or limitation, meaning like I want to have a house to side with Oprah. I want to have, you know, I want to have twenty million dollars in my vacaccount. Like like what it reminded me of is this weekend. I had my niece and my nephew, Rooman and Amelia, and I asked Amelia, I said, what do you want to do this weekend? And she said, I want to go to the farm. I want to go to the zoo. My friend Rihanna has like three cats and the dog. She said, I want to go to aunt Rihanna's house to pet the cats and to see the dog. And then she said something that seems so crazy. She said, I want to go to outer space and I was like what She said, yes, Mars.
Speaker 3: I'm like, Mars.
Speaker 2: She said yes because it's red, because clearly she must have watched whatever on some show and she just decided, ooh, that looks cute.
Speaker 3: I want to be on this red planet.
Speaker 2: And I was just like okay, and she said I want to take a bubble bath and I want to do a picnic. And I was just like, so Amelia is well, she have three she's four, but really verbal. But I just remember thinking to myself, like that's the kind that's when you're doing this exercise, do it with like with a million energy. You want to go to the park, pet the dog, you know, have a picnic, bubble bath, Mars. Everything without hesitation, without limitation. Just let your act as if your your your little self, your preschool or self that didn't have any limitation. Write it down, speak it if that's what works for best for you, because we have.
Speaker 3: Forgotten how to dream.
Speaker 2: Dame Dash has his videos that just came up Mandy that said sorry. It was like Dame Dash, you know jay Z's ex manager. He was like, yo, I'll be out here dreaming cheap as a dream costs money, he said, Yo.
Speaker 3: Dreams are free.
Speaker 2: You know that, right, That ten million dollars dream costs you the same amount of money to have that one hundred thousand dollars dream. So like, why are you going cheap on your dream when it's absolutely free? And that's what I want. And so that's one of the ways to start that, to open up that feeling inside you, you know that, like, let me dream big and huge. It's not about whether you're gonna get it or out. You're just going to say the thing. Because if you can't dream the thing, you certainly cannot have the thing. It's very difficult to have a thing that you that you have not you know, at least thought about. So it starts really from there, and it's just such a powerful lesson and tool, right because it's just I promise you, if you dream small, you live small, because one of the things you will start to realize. I was talking to a young woman today who asked me to be her mentor, and she was was she asking me, She was saying, you know, like, well, I don't know if I can have that, And I said, you know, has anybody else ever gotten that, And she said yes, And so I'm gonna cause she was Nigeriana, Nigeria's well and actually her name was She's the only other adochi As I've ever met. My African name is Adoci and her African name's Adoche as well. And she was like, I said, you already know, Like what what would a Nigerian tell you? She would be like, well, do they have two heads? My dad would say that, like if I came home with a B and I was happy about it, like you're happy about this bee? Did anybody get a? I'm like, oh, Mandy got a? Oh Mendy got an a? Does Mandy have two hits? Because the implication there is unless Mandy has two brains, why sho out here gay a's and you ain't? Meaning aids were being given, sis go get you one, so meaning that like people are making million, sis.
Speaker 1: Go make you some Where's the line though, because we I think we I mean, just to be Devil's advocate, you can it can backfire in the sense of, you know, looking at other people and comparing yourself constantly and never being happy with what you've got. And I think the the pessimist that I was that you know, not nature walk. When I was trying to sell this book idea about mediocrity. I think also there's a bit of there's a bit of a lesson there in that sometimes it's like you want to dream big, but you also have to dream dream from a place of like a positive mindset that you're happy with what you have, like you're you're it's almost like you're you're comfortable and you are content, but you're and you're not dreaming because you're not content with the core what really matters, like your core, you know your core self, like you know who you are, You have your family, you have friends, you have a good support system. You know what I'm saying, Like we're.
Speaker 3: Not telling dreams are not like that.
Speaker 2: When I said, amiliar, what do you want to do this weekend? She didn't say unlike like, well, like my my friend from preschool. I know, she's just pulling from the experiences she she saw out of Space on whatever Netflix things she was watching, was like, that seems cool, want to try that? So she she knew that Rihanna had a dog and that we've been talking about it. That seems cool, want to try that? I think so the key with dreaming. It's not that you're looking at what Mandy has to say I want it because Mandy has it. What you're looking at what Mandy has is the evidence that it exists. You see what I mean meaning that, wait, there are people that have accomplished this that fills me with hope and joy. It's doable, it's doable.
Speaker 1: Or if not that specific thing is doable, something as big or your own version, your own version of that, Like you're not trying to go move to Portugal, No, not at all and have the one anchor garden like Christina Aman. Yeah, but you're you're on your own journey toward because of what it looks.
Speaker 2: Like to me is I didn't like, I'm not interested in moving to Portugal at all. But what I looked at Iman and Christina from our rich journey is what it made me realize is that it is possible to find that level of joy and have done the work and to leave it like Tiffy, you don't got to keep going if you don't want to, like, joy can be found, and I just so it was I looked at them as the possibility of living in joy like that, not that I wanted like their life, not at all, but I wanted to, like they gave me hope, Like this level of joy is possible in this crazy you know, just like topsy Turvy world, we're overworking, you get a badge for doing the most. Here are people who are doing exactly what they wanted to do. They're not doing the least, they're not doing the most, They're doing there just right and are happy with it. So yeah, so I want, yes to Mandy to your point, you're not using other people to make yourself feel bad. It's more so to give you the in the absence of hope, looking to say that there is a version of that life out there. Here's proof. Wow, it's accessible to.
Speaker 3: Me as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it's just like I just you know, wanting that for us because I just honestly, I'm more excited because, honestly, Mandy, up until now, even though it doesn't seem like it, because so much has happened, I really pulled back a lot, like meaning that I could, I could have accomplished much more, but I purposefully do less because I've attached with accomplishing more to working more. So I'm like, no, I'm i gonna do a left.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, and even more so now smarter, not harder.
Speaker 2: Exactly, I want to do go deep instead of wide, Like, Tiffany, how do I do accomplish more while doing less?
Speaker 3: It is more than possible.
Speaker 2: And now that I've opened up my mindset, all of a sudden, many like literally, there are things that have been there. I know Taylor eight years. I'm just now thinking of her, you know, like, wait, all these solutions have been here that I'm just now because I'm shifting my mindset. I'm tapping into already existing solutions.
Speaker 3: Like almost all.
Speaker 2: That you're wanting is right there in front of you, but because of the state of your mindset, you can't see them. Not because they don't exist, not because you have to stretch extra far and wide. It's your mindset has blinded you to the solutions that are right in front of you. And so I'm excited because I don't have to do much more, just tap into what's already there. And I'm like, oh my goodness, Tiffany, this has been here all this time, all this time.
Speaker 1: I'm kind of smiling because I kind of want to break into this one song on Sesame Street that comes on all the time, and it's so simple. But I'm saying I think Sesame Street is having a very good impact on mye. I love that show. I never watched it as a kid. I was more into like Barney and I don't know Arthur, Power Rangers, whatever, but it those messages hit okay, And this one song is it's very simple. The lyric it's, God, am I really going to sing this? Okay? Fine, I'm that parent, Now do it. It's I'm not gonna sing it. But the lyric is I wonder what if let's try? That's the hook and the messages when you have a problem to solve, what do you say? You wonder? I wonder what if let's try? And always it's a it's it's a frustrating problem. But a lot of people and I think this was in your book too. I'm not that you know I read it, just you know most of it. So the piece of it is like people can get stuck in the in the mess, you know, or the problem or the challenge. And I think the anecdote is about your mom being a paper towel person, like, yeah, there's a mess, but let's actually do something. And that message in Sesame Street song too, is just it's such a simple message. And I'm sure if you had asked someone like an adult, what do you do when you have a problem, they'd be like, yeah, you'd figure out how to fix it. But in the moment, I think, I think the difference between people who are successful and then think big and achieve big things is that they don't let themselves get lost in that misery stew Whenever you know, when there's a problem, where there's a challenge, or it seems like the stakes are against you, I mean, you've got to be You've got to build that mental resilience. You've got to And when I say like, I have had some of the biggest knocks in my life the past couple of years, but I have bounced back like lightning, And I look around and I'm like, that's because I have been building the infrastructure of mental, physical, and and emotional well being and resilience, and through therapy, through focusing on my sleep, through physical activity like getting back really into good physical shape, through having joy, like spending time getting really clear on what I value and spending time doing those things, being outside gardening, playing like I play like an eight year old child every day because of my kid. Like, I know, I was late to the podcast. I was walking in the woods, digging in the dirt with my son.
Speaker 2: You're like, I'm in the woods.
Speaker 1: I'm like, this funny, the street lights aren't on yet, the where elside playing.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: I'm I just and I think that that was and thank god. But I'm like, no matter what, I genuinely can feel that now the worst thing can happen and it will be terrible, but I will overcome it. And that knowledge makes me braver. And I think the choices that I've made have gotten bigger and scarier. But I'm I know, I'm I know, I have a soft place to land because I've got like my you know, I've got my survival kit. And it's not money and it's not canned food. I mean, those things are nice. Okay, fine, that's a lie. I do have my emergency fund, which is very very very very nice and important. But I also have my husband who gets on my nerves but he's always there for me when I'm really down, and my my baby, and I have my you know, good relationships with my siblings and very quality friendships and of course my partnerships like Tiffany. I mean you're also a friend, but you're a partner and someone I can you know, lean on. And I know that you talk about financial wholeness in your book, but that's kind of the message too. You know what's in your how how are you becoming more resilient to challenges so that when you're facing with those challenges and maybe when you're in like a negative thought spiral and your mindset's not right, who is it that's around you to help you, you know, snap out of it and get back to your your place of positivity so you can really hit your you know, reach your full potential.
Speaker 2: One of the best guests I ever gave to myself. Like, so I'm forty one now, but right before my fortieth birthday, I said, timpany enough already, and I got rid of the very last of my bully friends.
Speaker 3: Remember we talked about that early, you know, MILLI friends.
Speaker 2: That's like you know people who you're like, that's my friend, but you're like, they kind of don't treat me that great, and you're like, wait, what are they here? I didn't know how to stand up for myself. I didn't know how to say hey, don't say that to me, don't treat me that way. And so I had always since elementary school. Not most of all my friends would be great, but I always had one friend that I allowed to bully me, and it would get worse year after year.
Speaker 3: And finally at forty.
Speaker 2: I was like, okay, you're the last of the Mooheicans and you have to go. And it was not easy, but it was so liberating. And when I tell you, instantly like I felt lighter. I remember I was so afraid of like, what's gonna happen? And am I gonna miss this person? And I can honestly say I don't like, I don't, not even a little bit. Maybe a key key here and there, but no, you know, they took way.
Speaker 3: More than they gave.
Speaker 2: It was it was, you know, and I but I added to that, you know, unfortunate relationship because I allowed it.
Speaker 3: And so I'm just.
Speaker 2: So so what I have around me now that safe space slent every friend, I look like, it's just this beautiful soul. I look at my friend Rihanna, the one who designed my home. She's just the kindest person heart her husband Jermaine, they're like me and my husband's first couple friend. You know, we're like the guy actually likes a guy, the girl likes a girl, and the guy likes a girl. Like literally like all around, we're like we love each other. So the first full fledged couple friends. And they're amazing and kind and giving. Well, my husband you are, you know, it's awesome. Like Mandy got to see him and his super tall selle.
Speaker 3: I forgot how Tlly was and he was so happy to.
Speaker 2: See Mandy, like, oh, it's Mandy and so.
Speaker 1: Me and the kid's just following us around.
Speaker 2: That's really and just like but you know, just kind and generous and and my friend Cabral same thing. When I really look at the reflections of myself that I see out there, it's I have the kindest, most generous friends. I've always had good relationships with my sisters, thank goodness. So that's always been there. But even like probably better and tighter now, my parents were in a really.
Speaker 3: Good space and place.
Speaker 2: We didn't always have like the greatest relationships because you know, teenage years, woof, it was a lot, if I do say so myself, and I do say so myself, and even into my twenties it was a lot. And plus they were so strict. So but now you know as adults, as an adult, you know, I've come to really appreciate them and understand some of that strictness and understand why. But we have such a great relationship now and so myself saved my place to land. Definitely my relationships and just how amazing they are. But what I really learned, and I had to remember this because I had to downpat that I lost them, Like when I first started the budgeteast them and did a lot of reading, and I was reading some random article about the mindset shift from becoming a millionaire to a billionaire.
Speaker 3: Don't ask me how I found this article.
Speaker 2: But I remember being really curious because they found that they had interviewed all these billionaires, and they had interviewed all these millionaires, and they found that the way billionaires dealt with challenges was completely different. They welcomed them and were almost joyful by them, like joy filled literally by them. And I thought, huh, and I remember actively practicing that. And here's why. Because the billionaire saw the challenge as a clear indication that they were moving from one place to the next, that it wasn't the challenge itself, like dang, this really sucks. It was like, wait, am I growing? Yes, I'm finally leveling up to the next level, because this challenge is an indication of that. And I just remember that I used to actively practice that Mandy that like the website is down, Yes, that means we have so much traffic. We need to level up. You know, we need a new email list. Yes, that means we have so many people on the email list.
Speaker 3: This no longer works. So I used to it in the beginning.
Speaker 2: With a budgetista. I was really good at making that connection that, like, you know, a challenge happens, it's a good thing because it meant growth. And then somewhere along the way I forgot and I started to look at every challenge like I normally look at challenges as.
Speaker 3: My life, you know.
Speaker 2: So that's what I would say that I am rediscovering that back again to look at challenges as a clear marker that you're shifting from where you said, where you said that you are to where you're wanting to be, and that this is just the challenge, is just this little rough patch that's the line of demarcation for growth. I was here and now I am here. This is super exciting and so like, yeah, those are the things that that you know, kind of put a little pep in my step.
Speaker 1: I love this conversation and it's an important one to have, but also gives me a pep in my stuff these days, is that I got my second dose of the vaccine and it feels like this pandemonium is finally over. And if nothing else, you guys can like build resilience by knowing y'all made it almost almost through a pandemic. We have all at least got that on our resumes now survived, was resilient enough to survive, and you know, make it through a pandemic, and that was a huge, huge challenge for so many people. So whether you wanted to or not, you were challenged this year, and you know, celebrate that and get strength from that knowledge because even if you didn't quote unquote win the pandemic, you know, by losing the thirty pounds and getting whatever, you know, learning your languages or you know, knill, learning how to knit or whatever activity you were supposed to you know, become a cook or baked bread. You know, just making it through you have become more resilient and even just trying to see the Yeah, flip the mindset. Flip the mindset. It's a positive thing. It's not always easy, it's not always easy, but the people around you, they will help you get there when you are in that negative thought spiral. And I will tell you if there are negative people around you, they will thrive on that. They will thrive on it, and they won't help lift you out of it. So really look a look at yes, people around you, also the you know, the thoughts in your own head and how they may be holding you back. And and just know that it's an ongoing process, right, It's not like you know when there's a when there is another you know, when I lose my confidence, which will probably happen at some point you know down the road, I will be able to lean on my support team, you know, support system to build me back up. So you have to you just just anticipate the life rainy day that it's going to happen, you know, and really try to make yourself ready for that moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, oh this is great.
Speaker 2: This is a little boost, a little booty boosts, a little boost to boost.
Speaker 1: Yeah, second vaccine dose and I feel okay, I'm I'm, I'm pretending like I didn't get it because I just don't want to feel I know, you can feel really fatigued and like some people get really actually they feel sick. But I'm just like just keep going, going, going, go to the park, play pretend like when thing's wrong. But I'm really I feel so relieved. Yeah, it feels really good. It feels like the start of a new a new year. If you got to get help.
Speaker 2: Some other people feel good and take some questions.
Speaker 1: Okay, fine, I was just about to tell you to get your vaccine.
Speaker 3: I know, I am going to get my vaccine.
Speaker 2: You're like, no, I am, because I will tell y'all like I'm started back with IVF and I just called my doctor and I was like, should I get it before?
Speaker 3: She's like, yes, girl, So I oh I do. Yeah. So I'm going to get it in the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: Because how long do you have to wait between many.
Speaker 1: Like a few weeks. I got mine April fifth, and today is April twenty four.
Speaker 2: Nobody's there like a minimum amount of time that you wait between vas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's three weeks. I think twenty one days or something like that.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: Then I got to hurry up because okay, yeah, so if.
Speaker 1: You're if you're planning like a vacation or something, you definitely want to be in the same place for at least a few weeks.
Speaker 2: There's something ye yes, no, because I like with like it like with like I'm going to cycle right now, and like tentatively speaking, there might be implantation like like June sixth, So I'm like, I need to get on it now because I want to have the vaccine.
Speaker 1: Before, you know, before that all goes down.
Speaker 2: Yes, hm, because I don't you know, I won't be able to Okay, well, good to know. So I'm like, okay, I'm gonna I'm gonna call tomorrow.
Speaker 3: There's a bunch of places in Newark. I think they even just like have you.
Speaker 4: Just go.
Speaker 1: Like it's really easy to get an appointment now, Yes, that's what I've heard from different body.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, I'm gonna get my first backs latest next week because Cis needs to make sure we can put this baby ready.
Speaker 1: Okay, but we will get to some questions though. Let's take a quick break and be right back with your questions. All right, y'all, we are back. Before we get into questions, let me just do a quick promo for an event that's happening. So this podcast is publishing Wednesday morning, So Thursday, we are doing an event with The Nineteenth, which is an amazing nonprofit news organization run founded by and run by brilliant minds. Brilliant women founded The Nineteenth and they report on everything at the intersection of politics, race, the economy. They go there and Tiffany and I are joining them for a live event on Thursday at one pm I believe Eastern time. Check out the link in our show notes and register to get your spot at this event. We're talking about how you can be financially resilient in the face of this pandemic, so definitely check us out in support. Let's show them that BA Fam is always there to support. Okay, even though you'll hear from us every week, it'd be great to show the Nineteenth that OURBA Fam shows up for us. So hit up the show notes and register and we'll see you all there.
Speaker 3: Plus it's free.
Speaker 1: Did you mention that free ninety nine? Okay, So let's get into the questions right now. We have hit up our Instagram again, y'all can reach us on ig We are at Brown Ambition Podcast. Just shoot us a DM with your question or hit us up via email Brown Ambition Podcast at gmail dot com, and also call call us and leave a voicemail if you'd like. Our number where you can call. Our text is in our show notes, so check it out there. Alrighty. First question, Hey ladies, I just started listening to your podcast and I love all the content. Thank you. I want to submit a question and hope of getting your input. My fiance and I have paid off over sixty thousand dollars of debt and have forty thousand dollars left. That's about thirteen thousand, seven hundred dollars of student loans and thirty thousand dollars that we have for a truck loan. We want to buy a house in about a year, but we haven't started the saving process since we've been so focused on paying off debt. Do y'all think we should continue to get our debt total down before saving or just go full on into saving mode? So that's first of all, amazing, sixty thousand dollars of debt down doesn't mention having any savings at all, so we don't know if there's like if they're building on top of a cash cushion. But we can make some assumptions, like let's assume they don't have anything saved and are wanting to start from scratch, saving from a house. But they have two types of debt left thirteen K student loans and thirty k for a truck loan with an undisclosed APR.
Speaker 3: Gonna say, what's the interest rate? I'm assuming the student loans.
Speaker 2: Let's make the assumption that your student loans are federal, so the interest rate is, like, you know.
Speaker 1: Relatively now until September, you don't have to pay Yeah, you don't have to pay student loans. You don't have to pay federal student loans or an interest stopped has stopped accruing thanks to the Cares Act through the end of September, so really no one has to pay loans. Let's yeah, we pretend that those are gone. Then it's the thirty k for a truck loan.
Speaker 2: And I don't know, you know, you know how it is with trucks, I mean, with them car loans. It could go either way. She could be double digits, she could be three percent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sod, no, you got.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing.
Speaker 2: My stance on debt versus savings. It's never debt versus savings. I feel like me and manny Al was like debt and savings, you know, because saving especially because it doesn't I mean, we don't know what the APR for the for the truck loaners APR your annual percentage, your annual percentage right sentence read.
Speaker 3: Look, I'm like, this are basically the interest rate that you're paying on that truck.
Speaker 2: My assumption is because you don't have a credit card debt, which is great, So I'm assuming you don't have crazy interest rates. And even if you did, saving, to me is your first line of defense. It's like the lock on the door, you know, on the screen door at that so someone has to bust through the screen door, then get to the regular door, then get to the chain lock, you know what I mean. And so I really I'm a big proponent of having some savings and not sacrifice savings just for to get towards that freedom that it can happen and should happen at the same time. Now, if you're saying that you're wanting to save for paying down a house to buy a house, now that's different because they're saving for like, you know, like emergencies and saving for goal.
Speaker 3: Because here's my worry.
Speaker 2: Let's just say you're like, oh, hey, I'm gonna save as we pay down our loan, and then we also save for a house and you're able to get a you know, a decent loan for the house. So then you use your your savings to buy the house. So now you're back at no savings again. So that's a concern that you should be like set the house to the side for a moment. And if you are going to save, I want you to concentrate that you're saving for emergencies while also paying down your debt. Now anything, you know, anything above and beyond that. You can also save two for buying a house. But you shouldn't be looking at the savings that you're setting aside just for the house. You should also have an emergency fund stashed away, especially if you get a house. I mean, Maddy and I will tell you in a minute how things just be going haywy are.
Speaker 3: Like, wait, what do you mean the plumbing? Wait, what do you mean?
Speaker 1: Why did you say plumbing? Because that's that's always what it is, and it's always before you have a bunch of guests over the toilet overflows like it did for us that fourth of July last year, the year before that, five hundred dollars to get someone to unclog it emergency on a holiday. Okay, sorry, go ahead.
Speaker 2: No, no, go ahead, no, because you know what I mean. So, like I think a lot of people forget that there are levels to savings. It's not just savings to eventually that's like almost like that kind of savings. To me, I call it delayed spending. So you save, save, safe, save, then you use it all for a thing. Well, you've just delayed the spending. You also have to save for savings sake, meaning save for This is my first line of defense. This is a lock on the screen door that someone has to get through before the next door can be can be breached and the next thing can be breached. Like not enough people have enough money set aside for that. And if twenty twenties panting commercial Pandemonium taught us nothing is the value of having like that first line of defense lined up, No matter how little that is, it can give you a little bit of room.
Speaker 1: Panting Commercial that's the name one haven't heard. I was gonna say that. You know, if you're not paying your student loans anymore, you could divert that payment to savings. You know, call it your emergency fund that you're building up while you don't have to, while you don't have the obligation of paying off your student loans. There's really no incentive right now to make payments on federal student loans. You're not saving any money on interest because there is none, and you don't have to like there's no there's no there's actually a cons to paying them. And the con is that you know, you could potentially be earning more by putting your money elsewhere. Even if it's in a really you know, a regular savings account that has very little interest, it's still more than zero. And also it's giving you that added protection. So if you're going to be putting money toward loans that you don't have to, that you're not paying interest on and not putting it towards savings, that could potentially save you if you, you know, have a financial challenge that pops up, it's just smarter to put it away in savings. It's going to protect you. So you could do that, just divert what you would have been paying towards your student loans to savings. And I would also point out, you know, if you're thinking about taking out a mortgage for your future home and you're talking about saving just for the down payment, they're not going to want to see that this down payment's going to bankrupt you. And they're also going to give you a better rate if you have lower debt to income ratio, which is, you know, how much your monthly debt payments are versus your monthly expenses. So it behooves you, sat word, it behooves you to try to pay, you know, down some debt. And also we have some cash left behind, liquid cash, so that lenders are willing to, you know, let you borrow money at all, or even at a more affordable rate than others. Something to consider. But it's definitely attainable to buy a house, and it sounds like you guys are really good at budgeting. I would just say, less money throwing it away at debt, and more towards that savings fund. Okay, how about this one. We've been getting more and more questions about financial advisors, but this listener says, do you have any recommendations for financial advisors. I started with d R. If you don't know who that is, then well whatever, you don't need to know, forget about it. For if I financial education but realized it helps, but I'm looking for something better. I'm currently working with a quote smart vestor pro quote, which is basically an advisor that follows DR's principles. Any advice or info smart vestor pro.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I think we both liked did where'd you find Helen? Did you find here?
Speaker 3: The XY Planning network?
Speaker 1: Is that where you found oh Helen? Yeah, that was years ago. I feel like XY Planning is still around. At the time, it was very focused on literally generation X and Y, and it's a network of fee based or it was at the time. Yeah, I'm looking at the Yeah. So all the advisors on their network are fiduciaries, which means they have to work at your best interest, offer virtual services, no commissions. They're not focusing on selling you products like insurance. They have a CFP license. So yeah, it's still around, and that's where I found Helen. But I actually interviewed I think three My husband and I reviewed three different people, and we settled on Helen after doing those interviews. But yep, thanks Ye Planning.
Speaker 2: And there's also one called the National Association of Personal Financial Advisors. It's like NAPFA. And then there's also this fee only network. So if you go this is a slight book plug but not really. But if you go to a gigao money dot com, there's this a little button that says GGWM toolkit. So because inside like chapter ten, I talk about picking your money team and how I found my financial advisor, So definitely go to xy Planning Network. I put that link there the National Association of Personal Financial Advisors, and there's also the Fee Only Network, but that's not why I want you to go there, because you could just go to those websites. I want you to go there to click that button because I created this work she called the my soul called financial life template, and I use the template to create like so how I find my financial advisor? Angelin is. I created kind of like this template of like my myself, my husband, like what our financial life looked like because I found myself when I was interviewing people forgetting like oh I forgot to tell them this, and I forgot to tell them that. But then once I created this kind of template for myself. I was able to email it to them before we had our talk, so I would not forget to say like, oh, by the way, these are our goals, this is how much we have saved. It's just it was just like such a great like resource. So yes, go ahead, And meanwhile, I'm clicking it now and I'm like, is it not going Let me just tell they no, But.
Speaker 1: That's like a good challenge that you cannot overcome to know.
Speaker 3: But no, but I think that that is Yeah.
Speaker 2: I just I think that it's really it's important to have some sort of like I don't know, like I wanted to have something in front of me so as I interviewed them, they could see one.
Speaker 3: Because it was like twenty.
Speaker 2: People that I reached out to and I gave them kind of like that document so they could disqualify themselves if I wasn't going to be a fit. And then other like twenty people I sent it to, like I think like maybe like twelve, we're like, oh yes, And then I ended up whittling it down to Angeli. But she had so much of the information that she that she normally would ask was in that doc and it just was so helpful so I suggest that that, yes, my soul called financial life it is. It was such a like like I said that Doc really.
Speaker 3: Just was everything.
Speaker 1: So check that out. We'll put that link in our show notes. Cool. All right, well, thank y'all so much for your questions. Hit us up Brandnambission Podcast at gmail dot com and you can find us all up in the socials, but especially on Instagram these days. Brand Ambisson Podcast on ig No.
Speaker 4: But okay, and now it's time to boost break or boost a break or booze.
Speaker 2: All right, let me look at my little blacumen to see what do I have hair? So I wanted to did we ever talk about Patriese colors and like the trouble that she was having with them? No, we have not, So I want to boost for Chese colors. Anyway, She's one of the co founders of Black Lives Matter, and unfortunately a lot of news outlets, including unfortunately black news outlets, were dragging her for having the audacity to earn an income.
Speaker 1: It was truly asine.
Speaker 2: Yes, so I mean, and I mean I'm trying to separate because I know Patrice and I have like I remember or like a Black Lives Matters had been awarded with the Sydney Peace Prize, which is super prestigious peace prize, and I went to Australia and I went with her to Australia when she was she was accepting it on behalf of Black Lives Matter. And when I tell you the I don't know that I know anybody that is more passionate about black lives, you know than Patrice and how she is dedicated literally her life and puts her life on the line. Like the number of like death threats and the number of just like it's crazy how they come for that woman. And so people were mad because they're like, what, you have a house in California. Meanwhile, that's worth I don't remember what it was like, you know, five hundred thousand dollars or one point two million dollars. I don't think people understand if you don't live on the coast, My little rinky dink house in Newark, New Jersey is worth about four point fifty.
Speaker 3: It's not something special.
Speaker 2: I mean it's a nice que house, but meaning that on the coast, what's one point two million dollars in California looks like a regular house. Like I saw that house I was like, this is what y'all mad at. It's because of where, because of coastal living is.
Speaker 3: Way more expensive.
Speaker 2: You're like, do you understand, Like there are people in New York who's literal, you know, one bedroom, two bedroom apartment might be six thousand dollars and it doesn't look like it looks like a college dorm room. Like, so what is relatively expensive to like, you know, in the Midwest is not expensive. I mean it is expensive, but that you're just not going to get anything less than that, especially in California. I mean New York, New Jersey's already bad, but California is literally insane. And Patrese is an author. Her book I remember when we were because I had met her at Essence Fest at first, and I remember she had just written a book, When They Call You a Terrorist, a New York Times bestseller. It sold tons of copies. I can tell you someone who got a book deal. I promise you her book there was bigger than mine, and mine was just under seven figures me with my first like and so Patrice who was huge. I mean, she's still huge, but at that time, so I can only imagine what her book deal was.
Speaker 3: So let's get that clear too.
Speaker 2: Like Patrese is an artist, she has she's had all of these other ways to bring an income for herself, we cannot ask the people who serve us to also be a martyr for brokeness. Like you already y'all already know I'm not with it, Like I'm here to be the budgetista to serve my community assists wants to be wealthy as well, because like I don't.
Speaker 3: I just like I'm done with that.
Speaker 2: Like when I first started my business, I thought that I'm like, well, I don't want to charge and I don't want this because I ought not to have because if I'm going to be of service, that's garbage. The more that I have, I pour from my overflow, the more resources that I have, the better I show up for y'all.
Speaker 3: Because I'm not broke.
Speaker 2: Is why I'm able to do so much for free, because I'm not worried about money, and so I just wanted that to be It's almost like a boosty breaky a boost for Patrese, but a break for y'all. Tried it, not y'all, but y'all, that like asking our leaders to suffer in brokeness and then you know some of these very outlets putting her address online. I mean she already was receiving death threats, putting her life in her family at risk. I just when she has already put her life on the line in response to Black Lives Matter one like, so if you like, there's this great. His name is Matt McGrory m A T T mc g o O r Y on Instagram, and I love it because he posted this letter a statement on false and dangerous stories, right so, he he said. The following statement is issued by Black Lives Matter Global the Foundation in response to the false and defamatory thefamatory the famatory article being amplified by right wing media. Patrise Culors is the executive director of Black Lives Matter Global Network Foundation. She serves in this role in a volunteer capacity. This is from Global Black Lives Matter does not receive a salary or benefits. Patrese has received a total of one hundred and twenty thousand dollars since the organization's inception in twenty thirteen is now twenty twenty one. He wrote this April twelve, twenty twenty one. How many years is that, Mandy?
Speaker 1: That is, when was it founded? Just twenty thirteen seven, eight years, eight years.
Speaker 2: So what is one hundred twenty thousand dollars divided by eight years?
Speaker 3: Let me let's do to that.
Speaker 1: It's not very much. It's less than ten thousand dollars a year.
Speaker 2: I mean. And so if this says for duties such as serving as a spokesperson and engaging in political education work, Patrese did not receive any compensation after twenty nineteen, stop to be abundantly clear, it says as a register of four oh one ced three that this organization cannot and did not commit any organizational resources towards the purchase of personal property by any employer volunteer. I mean, I just And he goes on to say Patresa's work for black people over the years has made her and others who are aligned with the Fight for Black Liberation targets for racist violence. So it's just really really because I can see in her face because for terrees, honestly, if you despite all the bs, she is funny and joyful and lighthearted, I mean, she is silly. And to see her like fighting for her life on insu like I've messaged her several times and just make sure she's okay, but to see I can see the fear in her face, and I see a little bit of the light dim because she's expecting us from the right wing, but from her own people coming for her. It's unconscionable and I just can't imagine putting my life on the line for the very folks who are now putting my life in danger because of lies. And so I just wanted to give her an extra If you want to read it for yourself, I encourage you to do so. Matt m at t mc g O r R Y on his Insta It was posted on like I think, like I don't know, like in April some time, but you can go and read that letter. I think it's important for everybody to see it, to read it. And yeah, she is just an incredible woman who despite all of this still stands in service to black people.
Speaker 1: So this story, I mean, I texted you tip when I saw it, I was like, what the absolute like what it was?
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 1: I'm still so angry on her behalf, because there is this expectation, especially if you're a black woman, that you're not that you're supposed to give everything but not get anything. That the image of you. They want to see is someone who is on their knees crying because their son or brother or husband or nephew was killed, or you know, or with a handout, you know, looking for something they don't want to see you succeed. And it is really sad proof that there is still a lot of audience out there who wants to proliferate this image of black women, black people, you know, suffering but not thriving, and especially for someone who's given so much. I was. I don't even know Patrice, but I was offended on her behalf. And so I'm glad you. I'm really glad you brought this up. And as a former journalist, I will tell you it was the It was the wackiest, thinnest piece of internet crap I've like garbage. And as a as a as anyone who even has a moticum of journalism education would never have published that story. And I'm really sad for a black journalists because you know, as any black professional, when you're out there in the world, you're you have such a razor thin margin margin for error. So when one of us, as a black journalist, as a black journalist out there posting filth like that and nonsense with terrible sourcing or lack of sourcing and no story at all, like even a tiny bit of fact checking could have found there was no truth to this. When you publish that, you you know you're making it harder for other black journalists to be taken seriously. And so that is what I'm offended by. She made me want to like do a talk at the next National Association and Black Journalist conference, like we got to do better out here, and yeah, it was pure, pure garbage. And I hope that a lot of people out there are are smart enough to look at where stories like that come from on the internet and question it and and be critical and think critically about stories that we hear about our leadership, because they they when you succeed as a black woman, that's when they're most fearful of you, and that is when they start putting out lies to bring you down. And even though I don't know her, I feel like that could be me. That could be I'm sure it has been Tiffany. People don't want to see Tiffany do well, you know they want they they like, especially when it's your peers. I'm sure there's there's people who who you know we're talking about earlier, would rather see you struggle to make themselves feel better. And anyway, I my heart goes out to Patrice. I hope she's okay. She has done such good work, and go and get your house's girl, get all the houses you every right to get your house is how many billionaires? Like do you want to talk about? How many billionaires give away money to nonprofits and all their philanthropic good deeds and then turn around and you know, drive gas guzzling cars and have the audacity to go shopping for expensive things and have watches and jets and stuff like. Get out of here. Like it's just complete and utter nonsense. And she did not deserve it for a minute. And I hope that she I hope that the light has not dimmed for too long because she has done so much good work and she needs all the support that she deserves. Right now, what was my booth going to be?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: I know, hold on my computer just died. I went away well really quick, because that was I joined in on that one. But I wanted to shout out things. I wanted to shout out this young woman, and I wanted to shout this out, Tiffany, because I can't stop thinking about your nephew Roman and how he just has this big kid genius energy, big like I mean, he was just fascinating to watch. I could have just I didn't want to be weird, but I was just like really wanting to observe him. He's a mathematical genius. And I saw this story about a young girl who's twelve and how she's attending college this year. Her name's Elena Wicker, and she's soon to be college student, and she wants to be the youngest black woman to ever work for NASA, and she was recently featured in People magazine, and I just wanted to share this little, this little bit of black excellence. And her mother, Diane mccordter, said one of the signs that her child was gifted was she would always organize legos by color and by size and very strategic, and if you took one of her legos out of the set, she knew one of them was missing. But that she's still goofy and she's always you know, she's had a sense of humor, but would like build these crazy you know, like the millennium falcon out of legos and like all these things. So shout out to Elena and Black Girl Excellence, and also shout out to Roman because I feel like he might be like people dot com Black excellent story one day.
Speaker 2: I always like I used to because you know, teaching for so long, I used to always like the joke was that ain't no regular baby. That's what I would always say him like he was one and a half talk about octagon oval. I'm like what I used to tell her. I'm like, mm, sis, I ain't no regular baby, because you know that was her first and she's like, I don't know, don't want in a half year olds name all the shapes. I'm like, no, and if they do, they certainly don't know octagons from hexagons.
Speaker 3: Sis.
Speaker 2: No, And like even now, like you know, Roman is telling time. I didn't not have to tell time until I was like in fifth or sixth grade.
Speaker 3: He's five. Yeah, he's telling time.
Speaker 2: He's doing multiplication and addition reading like all these like signs like we wu walk down the street. I was like, I'm thinking, like he's gonna read the first two lines. It was like no, it said something like it was like a parking site. No, parking police. Try this boy, no parking police towing. I'm like, cause he never heard of towing. But he's like, I can sound it out at five.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: So I always tell her I adn't no regular baby because she was worried. Because for you parents, if you are not up on number blocks and alpha blocks on Netflix, cis you late? It is as a teacher, I'm telling you want.
Speaker 1: To feel attacked because I'm still on Sesame Street again one more time.
Speaker 2: Number number of blocks and alpha blocks. So it is they whoever made it. They are educational geniuses because what this show is like so basically they have turned letters and numbers into superheroes. You so kids feel like they're watching one of these superhero shows, but really they are. They are showing you how to count attract. So it gets with every episode, it gets more complex. In the beginning, you're just doing letters, and then sounds and then words and then sentences. So each episode gets more and more complex. But they do it in such a way that you feel like you're watching like, you know, like Power Rangers, because the actual numbers and the letters. So there's two separate shows number blocks and then there's an Alpha blocks that they they take on the persona of like different like I said, superheroes, but it's so well done. And the repetitiveness, I mean, I like, I'm I'm picking up everything they're putting down. I'm like, ooh, like a million when she was three, just like a few months ago. Do you know how hard a concept it is for a kid to understand zero? Like, think about that many Like how do you explain zero to a two year old or a three year old?
Speaker 1: And so it's me straight they show you that cookie has no cookies.
Speaker 2: I can tell you, and that's so, but it's still really harder of a concept because kids understand numbers. And so the other day I was saying something and then he was like, I'm sad there's zero.
Speaker 3: There's zero left.
Speaker 2: I looked at her, like my sister was like, girl, damn alpha black, those damn number blocks. But I just I share that that because it's been such a great you know, in the world wherever I get it, Like my sister used to be really big on like you know, not too much screen time a girl pandemic. It was like, where are your number blocks?
Speaker 1: Yep?
Speaker 5: Yes, So I was like, you know, tell her to check out the guy on YouTube who excavates for a living, which is where you just dig up dirt and move it to other places hypnotizes my child send me.
Speaker 3: A lake because I will.
Speaker 1: I don't know who it is. I used to roll my eyes, but I will walk in the living room and my husband always watches this guy and he and Rio are on the couch just dead staring watching the sky dig up gravel and it goes a full hour. My toddler did not move. I don't know if he's learning anything, but he likes to. He screams at equipment now when he sees it on the side.
Speaker 3: Of the d but that means he's recognizing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, No.
Speaker 2: I just think that, like, there's are some shows that are so well done and that is number of blocks and alpha blocks there. Like I started following them on Insta just to be like, thank you so much all that you've taught my niece and nephew. It's just great programming. But no, who like.
Speaker 1: It's protect that one. The force is strong with him.
Speaker 2: I tell my sister, my girl, we will all be working for his whatever company.
Speaker 1: But Mimi keeps it spicy. She keeps it like you know, She's like, dude.
Speaker 2: That's what we call a millia mamie. She keeps it allways spicy like girls. She feel like Roman, we're here to have fun you and this. She does like Alpha blocks too, but she definitely is the He's the Chucky and she's the Tommy of a rug Rats, like you know, exploratory, having a good time. And Roman's like, oh, I guess, and like literally he'll build a thing and she will just be like, I'm gonna tip it over, okay.
Speaker 3: Roman, He's like dupe.
Speaker 2: She's like, yeah, exactly, no, But I'm just I'm just honestly, it was nice to have like you like here in my space. I'm like, oh, just fit right in. It was just like nice just to like hang out. I'm like on the couch just talking like adults and having a good time.
Speaker 1: It was a very warm and beautiful homie. You know, I loved it. I feel like, you know, it was it filled my cup as they say, filled my cup up. And I was really low that day. So thank you, Thank you again, and to your sister Tracy and just Superman. I hope his movie Theater in the Basement is coming along well. Excited to hit him up at the twin Is that what the speakeasy is called. Yeah, twins place, Twins place, Okay, twins place the speak that's gonna be fun. All right, Well, I hope we can do. I'm like, what am I gonna see whatever? You guys will see the pictures, So I guess I'll see you get in six years, Tiffany update another time. All right, y'all, we'll take care. Have a good week. Check us out on Thursday with the nineteenth hit up our show notes to register, It's free, so show up and show out for BA.
Speaker 3: Yes,