Speaker 1: Ridiculous crime. It's a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Elizabeth Dutton Zaren Burnett. So good to see how you see? I'm good good. Another question for you while you're on a roll, m H, do you know it's ridiculous? I do I know it's ridiculous? Do you do? You really?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 4: The start of the year always brings a wave of fitness pressure. Don't you think fitness pressure.
Speaker 2: I can recognize from the town.
Speaker 4: But for Natural Light fans, the real frustration isn't the gym crowd. I mean, what would do you think would be most frustrating for fans of the beard, natural Light.
Speaker 2: Beer, God full employment.
Speaker 4: It's not fitness pressure, is that they are months from mowing season. The grass is dormant, the mower is collecting dust, and those who swear by a good backyard cutter left pacing on rubber treadmills, wondering why no one has invented a better option. They really they do, because you know, here's the thing, like, if you want to talk stereotypes, you got the natty light drinker mowing a lawn.
Speaker 2: So anyway, Uh, they really don't know their market.
Speaker 4: No, they don't. What they've done in.
Speaker 2: Order to I've never met a Natural Light drinker who gave a wink about their lawn.
Speaker 4: Oh see, you didn't live down south.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, I'm including that part. There is definitely that. I'm just saying I haven't met them. You have you just you know.
Speaker 4: You got your John D.
Speaker 2: Rad Moor, Yeah, I know.
Speaker 4: Or the zero turning radius where you're like, this is a circle around, you get a couple of natty lights in you you go do that lawn.
Speaker 2: See, I'd like to believe that they drink better beer than that. I know in a bunch of them.
Speaker 4: They don't.
Speaker 2: They don't, Okay, they don't.
Speaker 4: And you put it in a koozie. Yeah, son, listen, listen, bo you've got to put it into koozy or anyway. So, uh, they've developed something. Natural Light Beer is revealing a first of its kind ter treadmill that was engineered to simulate the simple joy of mowing the lawn. It's called the treadmower, and so it's as the favorite beer brand of grass whisperers and garage enthusiasts. It's traditioned for Natural Light fans to crack a well earned natty after mowing those beautiful green stripes into their lawn with the treadmower. Natural light is uniting fans around their favorite pastime, even as the temperatures drop, since it's always summer in the garage, not my garage. My garage is freezing anyway. Kristin Stowe, who's head of marketing at Bush Family and Natural Family Annheuser Bush Yes, said quote, there's nothing like the smell of fresh cut grass and an ice cold natty in your hand after a perfect mow. But winter shuts down the lawn and that's where the treadmower comes in. The garage is where our fans fell most at home. No fluorescent light, it's no crowds, just uninterrupted mowing glory and a cold bear with enrage. Some things like a perfect cut and a natti shouldn't have a season. She needs to be fired. I call for her immediate termination. The thing is, there's only one, there's only one tread mow. Where they just made one.
Speaker 2: Of them was more like bud light to me.
Speaker 4: But it's more of a bud light thing. You can enter to win the tread mower. Why and uh and so you have to be twenty one and over. It's there's only one. If you win it, you get the only one there is. There's a picture of it album.
Speaker 2: There's just one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Zaren, Can I tell you something? I found this in time. This came to us from p Aka Teley Fox on Instagram.
Speaker 2: Hello Pey Fox.
Speaker 4: I found it in time, and you know what I can tell you. I entered you to win it. Hand to God I did.
Speaker 2: Between you and Tely Fox. I'm raising my hand to God.
Speaker 4: How great would that be? If you just, like you know how people have like a standing desk, you're gonna have like a treadmill or recording situation where you're on there, just all chugging back natty lights.
Speaker 2: On and back, trying to forget my life choices. It led me to this, Well.
Speaker 4: If you feel a little crazy, maybe like sprinkle crystal light in one of them, A little taki for you, No for you.
Speaker 2: I don't drink. I just watch, Yeah, I just watch. I know like crystal light.
Speaker 4: Though, so I know I'll lend you one of my little.
Speaker 2: Thank you I'll keep you.
Speaker 4: Run a line of crystal light into it, you rail rail of crystal into the natty you live in the life?
Speaker 2: Son?
Speaker 4: Why yeah?
Speaker 2: That welcome I have so many questions answered.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, you don't even need Elizabeth. Thank you so much for thinking of me and entering me into this contest. Oh my god, honey, No, don't worry about it. Yeah, I can get you the number of that marketing lady too.
Speaker 2: I don't even want to be mean to her, but like, really, this is what you do with your one wildlife.
Speaker 4: Everyone you know what, everyone brings their own gift to the party.
Speaker 2: Sure, yes, this is the worst white elephant party.
Speaker 4: This is what I do.
Speaker 2: So I got some ridiculous for you please, and it's very much in the spirit of what you just said. It me synergy. Yeah. So the lead singer slash rapper for lint Biscuit, Fred Durst.
Speaker 4: Oh my, that's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Roll credits is a production. There's actually way more. I've got a really fun one for you today, Elizabeth. It's Fred Durst Versus the World. I'm gonna need that treadmore and the Natye. This is Ridiculous Crime a podcast about absurd and outrageous capers, heist and cons. It's always ninety nine percent murder free and one hundred percent ridiculous. It's ridiculous it's murder.
Speaker 4: Free. Murder is the case that they gave me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, then you got free of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know that. That's where close your eyes my eyes are closed comes from. I know that you know that snoops, murder is the case my eyes are closed.
Speaker 2: But as you say up top, there's no one big, singular crime in this story. Instead, it's a series of crimes. Micro crimes, yes, summer traditional crimes involve cops and judges. Others are just crimes against good taste.
Speaker 4: I like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I need to ask what are your thoughts about Fred Durst, like back in the day, did you ever see him or worse yet, meet him or has your brother ever shared a stage with him?
Speaker 4: I've not met him. I know they were on the Warped tour when a bunch of my friends were on it, Okay, and they weren't fans of Okay, by the end of the thing, you know, it was that whole rap rock thing I never got into.
Speaker 2: Yes, not my bag the no, No, this is more like rap metal. But yeah, but they were in rock categories.
Speaker 4: You're not wrong, Okay, rap metal.
Speaker 2: Met to set the stage. I want to have Fred Durst speak for himself. Oh no, because credit to him, he's not going to actually be on the show, but he knows who he is.
Speaker 4: I was so scared. I was like looking at the door, I'm.
Speaker 2: Bar the doors, Fred, do you want to come into the room? For instance. Also, you see this red hat bobbing along.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: So, he says the character Fred Durst was a monster of his own making in an interview.
Speaker 4: You know that's that's a good retcon there, of like when you just geeze everybody off and they're like no, no, no, So my character works.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I meant to do that. It's all genius. So in an interview with the music outlet Metal Hammer, Durst said, and I quote, I always knew the guy in the red cap was not me. I'm doctor Frankenstein and that's my creature. Being a breakdancer, a graffiti artist, a tattoo artist and liking rock and hip hop was too much. It was a conscious effort to create Fred Durst, and eventually I had to bring that guy out more than I wanted to. It took on a life of its own. I had to check into that character, the gorilla, the thing, the red cap guy. It's a painful transformation but I do it because that's what I was taught to do when you have people pulling at you.
Speaker 4: This is a painful transformation, right from.
Speaker 2: Doctor Jekyll and mister Hide. It seems to delicate that he's pulling.
Speaker 4: But well he's going from absolute delicate and actual too man who buys loose cigarettes in the parking lot of a gas station.
Speaker 2: It's quite a transformation. So does this that quote make you feel for fred Durst now just a little bit?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 2: No, Well, at the moment, fred Durst is currently battling a giant trying to get some justice, or rather, he's trying to get paid money. He feels he's owed. But you may be wondering, Zaren, who is this giant in this David vers Goliath story?
Speaker 4: The guy from the succession, the tall guy from succession.
Speaker 2: No good guys, cousin Greg? Yeah, No, it's Universal Music Group.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Last year, Headlines reported on the feud between Fred Durst and his band Limp Biscuit versus Universal Music Group Limp Biscuit. They apparently filed a lawsuit against UMG, claiming that the music label had cheated them out of like get this, about two hundred million dollars.
Speaker 4: Two hundred millions. Yes, I mean I believe the cheating part. I mean, hello, but like.
Speaker 2: They rowed two hundred million.
Speaker 4: I guess they did. People did like it.
Speaker 2: I guess right. Tune to two hundred million missing. That's not the total amount of the.
Speaker 4: Mad I mean, you've already bought a lot of ski.
Speaker 2: News exactly, so it's a variety report on the story. Quote Ombiscuit originally claimed UMG designed and implemented royalty software and systems that were deliberately designed to conceal artists royalties and keep those profits for itself. UMG filed its motion to dismiss the lawsuit in November, claiming that the lawsuit is specifically the alleged concealment of royalties was quote fiction. They pulled fiction out on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're like, you're a fictional character.
Speaker 2: Guess what I remember second grade when you learn it fiction and nonfiction were you're the other. So, all right, what's the latest news on Fred Durst? I think that's just the latest news, right, I got way more so I think we should go back to the beginning of this. I'll try to get you on the side of Fred Durst now, pointing out that's not gonna happen.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, it's gonna take a whole lot more than that, I.
Speaker 2: Bet, and that's gonna be Do you know what?
Speaker 4: You may surprise me?
Speaker 2: Who knows? I asked you to consider a simple question. Is Fred Durst? Hmmm, you don't have an answer yet, but I'm about to give you some inklings of one. In nineteen seventy in Jacksonville, Florida, he was born Frederick Allen Maine the third.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, well when he was still My brain is processing a couple things here, fred.
Speaker 2: Main, So Fred Main Third. He was still in Florida, his parents divorced, and then his mother relocated North Carolina. She meets this new guy. They soon get married. His mother renames her baby in honor of his new stepfather, a police officer named Bill Durst.
Speaker 4: His stepdad was a car Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Now the toddler was known as William Frederick Durst drop the third. He's like that's out.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, well yeah, he's not Maine anymore. They don't remember the Main.
Speaker 2: No, not at all. No glory, no wars will be fought for this poet. So his homiestart calling Fred instead of William or Bill. As a kid, Fred Durst was a bit of an audiball. He said off and that he was bullied, and then he was a bit of a nerd. He one of his heroes was Booger from Revenge of the Nerds. He escaped the taunts of Schoolyard by throwing himself into music. Common story. He got into hip hop and break dancing, and he would wrap and beat box. He also did some DJing, but at the same time he was also deep into punk rock and heavy metal and death metal in particular, like Dicide. I think I would have been one of the bullies. So after Fred graduates high school, he joins the navy. He goes out, gets out of Jacksonville, he sees the Warbeth bans his horizons. After his stint as a seaman and a sailor, he came home and lived with his father back in Jacksonville, Florida, mister Maine. The second while he was exactly while, he worked as a tattoo artist and the landscaper because you know, the art didn't pay enough.
Speaker 4: No, he was tattoo artist, you know, not mocking.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not anyway either.
Speaker 4: Professions it's the combo job right there.
Speaker 2: So he starts doing his part. You to beautify the world and give people skin art, and he also begins to kick around the idea another way to beautify the world, or at least make noise. Start the band he's dreamed about from back when he was in the navy.
Speaker 4: If you win the treadmill or will you give it to him, you.
Speaker 2: Share it with him. So Fred decides he wants to combine his two great loves metal and rap. How can he do this? But at this point it's nineteen ninety four. Other people have already done it, so he's like, okay, I have ideas. Oh I can party do it in a new way. So Fred approaches an old high school friend, a drummer, and he goes, hey, you want to start a band? And his friend's like, oh, man, I would love to. I'm underemployed. This sounds like a great idea. So he brings in a bassis he knows, and they'll start writing songs together, but they're missing something Elizabeth. Soon enough, he sees this guitarist performing and he's like, that's the guy we need. Sure, the band approaches Wes Borland and it convinces him join our team. They renamed their new band now Limp Biscuit, which was Fred's idea cause, oh really, name that was repellent to the fans or possible fans, Limp Biscuits. So Limp Biscuit starts to play gigs around Florida.
Speaker 4: That's one of those things like you gotta imagine, like I've had friends with unfortunate band names, and then when someone says, right, when someone says, oh, you're in a band, what's it called gulp Limp Biscuit?
Speaker 2: Oh okay, are you any other bands? First band? Huh yeah, exactly. So Limp Biscut is point. They get some attention in the underground scene. They're really getting a name known for playing covers. They play Paula Abdul songs straight up and choose song with with Scat Cat.
Speaker 4: Right, but no, wait, does Scott Cat in the straight up?
Speaker 2: No? I think so is he? I think he's a I think it's in the other one.
Speaker 4: One step forward, two steps back, we go together, because opposite's.
Speaker 2: A trap there, it is?
Speaker 4: It is so I'm telling you, it's like sometimes you drop the piggy bank and the coins come.
Speaker 2: Out breaks open. So at this point they're also doing George Michael's song Faith the later. Yeah, that becomes like a staple of the screaming. Yes exactly, they scream where George Michael would sing.
Speaker 4: That's offensive into the spirit of Jorge Michelle.
Speaker 2: But yeah, the one comes two bands that we actually like, Sick of It All and Corn. Okay only I like Corn.
Speaker 4: You like Corn?
Speaker 2: I like Sick of it All? Yeah, I like them both. But yeah, so Sick of it All is opening for Corn while they're playing shows, and this is nineteen ninety four. Yeah, right, at this point, Corn is not a big time band. They're still playing shows at small clubs. Like I actually think I saw them on this tour because I saw a Sick of All was opening for Yeah. Yeah, not the other way around. You would think the other way around you would. Yeah, at a show that I saw him at the Cattle Club Sacramento, it.
Speaker 4: Did seeing Sick of it All make you want to punch people?
Speaker 2: Oh my god? Yeah, so good, totally. It was a great show. But Fred Durst does something that I never thought to do. Back in Sacramento. He invites Corn to come back to his house. He's like, you guys should come back to my house and we could jam out. So apparently they they go with him back to his house and while he's there, he plays some Limp Biscuit demo songs. His gambit totally works Fieldy the hip hop loving basis for Corn, he's impressed. He's legit like went to a random kid's house Jacksonville, Florida and was like, that was jam out. I'm telling you this is what before they were big, but they were playing small clubs. You can all sleep in your place, We'll be there. Do you have any natty?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Co Corn now and vice Limp Biscuit, who was not signed on any label, not even a small label, to come out and open for them on tour. The band does well and the first tour goes well, so Corn invites Limp Biscuit to join them on a second tour. So really, at this point, I think we can say that Corn is to blame for Limp Biscuit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I definitely lay it at their feet.
Speaker 2: So Limp Biscuit, though, they also get their final missing piece around the same time. They bring in DJ Lethal as their turntablist, so at this time he was the former DJ turntablist for a rap group House of Pain, who had broken up.
Speaker 4: Wait I did not know this, Yeah yeah, so wow.
Speaker 2: But ever Last went off to the do like his Whitey Forda. So at this point they're doing really good. Ninety six, things are going well for olymp Biscuit. The band's about to become a signed act. But there's trouble for the baby band because Fred Durst gets into it with the genius guitarist Wes Borland and he quits the band. So now it looks like the band will become West quits or the guitarist Wes Borland quits. It's like the known genius of the group, like, oh yeah, he's really talented, so he's out right he's gonna be a victim of Fred's ego. Somehow, Fred's sweet talks Wes Borland into rejoining the band. He does. He rejoins just in time for them to be signed to a label. He may come to him like we're to be signed to get back in the band. He does. They joined Flip Records, which is a subsidiary of Innerscope, which was Jimmy Iovine's label. You know, they were owned by Universal Music Group, which is why they're now suing them for two hundred million dollars. Got It At this point goes primarily known as a label for rap. They're like, they have Doctor Dre, they have showed Knight's label death Row Records, So then when they add Limp Biscuit, it's like why right? The reason is is Jimmy Iovine is some other music industry think that gangster rap is kind of getting passe and getting passed by by this new sound known as what Elizabeth new metal.
Speaker 4: New metal. Yeah, it's not retal exactly metal.
Speaker 2: So now we both know I like new metal. I will. I'm a car Deftones Rage against the Machine, I still listen to the sound.
Speaker 4: I don't even feel like Rage against the Machine transcends that I don't put them in the new metal.
Speaker 2: Because of the actual political content of their songs.
Speaker 4: Well, it's almost like they feel like more shouty punk to me than rap.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I could see that they're not like that. His lyrics are pretty good when its amazing I think as a rapper, just in particular. Yeah, Also, do you know the soundtrack to Judgment Night has all the like rock grips going paired with a rapper. Yeah, anyway, since the mid to late nineties when New metals blowing up. So at this point, I know you're more punk rock than I am, So I'm just gonna give you some brief overview that you don't really care. So back to fred Durst. In ninety seven, they released their first album, three Dollars Bill, y'all not a big hit. The audience is like, what else you got? So band regroups that get back in the studio. In nineteen ninety nine, they released a second album, Significant Other. This is the album that has break Stuff and their track Nookie. It's the one that blows out all of a sudden. They become staples on MTV's Total Request Live the TRL. This is the start of their rising fame right so, and also it's pretty meteoric because that album was nominated for Best Rock Album at the Grammy Awards that year. Nookie gets nominated for the Best Hard Rock Performance with the Grammys.
Speaker 4: Sure the Biscuit, who else was nominated.
Speaker 2: They lost in both categories. They lost to in Best Hard Rock Performance to Metallica and they lost Best Rock Album to Santana and his album Supernatural.
Speaker 4: Oh No is that all smooth.
Speaker 2: Yeah at this point ninety six, is that like Saint Anger, I'm sorry ninety nine, I'm sorry ninety nine. Yeah, yeah, I don't know what album that is. Yeah, So anyway, nine, it's a huge year for Biscuits, Garbage, Metallica at that point. Yeah, short Hair Metallica, so exactly anyway, Yeah, so they get invited to perform this hugely anticipated concert Woodstock ninety nine, which is we've mentioned you were at written about your time spent at the superfund waste site. Yes, known as Griffiths Air Force Base. I have to assume that you rushed over to check Limp Biscuit set. How was it? I mean, like, was that like, what's your third favorite moment?
Speaker 4: You know what I was doing during Limp Biscuits set?
Speaker 2: No, I don't running for it? Why?
Speaker 4: That was when all the riots started, Yes, and everyone was setting things on fire. And at this point I'm with Mother Jones magazine. So I'm surrounded by boxes and boxes of magazines which are very flammable. Yes, and I've got lots of like sun burned like sun poison drunks running around. We can see things starting to like come up into flames. And uh, everyone's tearing it stuff and it was like that's when I said to all my people, like, load up your bags, we're out of here. And we ran from where we were to the media tent to the parking lot and then by that time the Chili Peppers were on and we were out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that that is pretty much. Do you remember that? You probably didn't because you weren't at the limp biscuit part. But AKA Mini Me for the Austin Powers movies, he's the one that came out and introduced the limp biscuit.
Speaker 4: Oh sure that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, And the backstage you would have found, like Jonathan Davis, a Corn, Jennifer Aniston, kid Rock Diddy, was that they're chilling. They're all bumping their heads to limp business together. Well, hair, let's pause for a second through the madness of Woodstock because I'm having put a pin in this and come back because there's way more to talk about Woodstock ninety nine. Okay, back in two and two, Elizabeth Zaron, We're so back. I got way more limp biscuit for you. So picking up with Woodstock ninety nine, which is a really important moment in the culture, and specifically for Limp Biscuit and their whole personal mythos and for me and for you as well, and for Elizabeth and for Elizabeth. Now when the crowd, it was like first respondinglymp Biscuit as like a you know, they begin to mosh because that's the thing to do, right, And so fred Durst tells the crowd. They want to ask us to ask you to mellow out a little bit. They say, too many people are getting hurt. Don't let anybody get hurt. But I don't think you should mellow out. Mellowing out that's what a lot is Morris had you do if someone falls, pick them up. This is his as you said, things are going crazy, this is his advice right before the flames breakout. Is like, hey man, you guys don't need to mellow out. Actually I can't.
Speaker 4: I can't over like I cannot express enough the atmosphere of this place of testosterone and like teen and twenty something men slash boys, men man boys who were so inebriated and so angry. Yes, and to be a woman in that environment was terrifying, really absolutely terrifle.
Speaker 2: I can imagine, I mean shocked.
Speaker 4: It was like you know, I just think about how it had reached a fever pitch by that point. But then these kind of roving bands of guys, and you know, I was like in my little protected area with my people, and but you know there were girls there, women there who really just wanted to have a good time, and we're getting I would see them getting groped and treated like subhuman and attacked, and then you think, like, so this line of his what's alonis more set wanted, And it was just like the whole time, You're sitting there and you're thinking, I know that you have to have contemporary music for Woodstock ninety nine, but this is so far from the spirit of Woodstock.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it was.
Speaker 4: It was. And I've gone to crazy punk shows, I've gone to crazy metal shows, and I have never felt that uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: And it was it. I blame Fred Durst. The moment where everything like the Damn breaks is literally the song breaks stuff. He he channels the basically as you describe it, the simmering rage of all the concert gars and at the breakdown of the song, Fred tells the crowd time to reach down deep inside and take all that negative energy, all that negative energy let that out of your system. You got girl problems, you got boy problems, you got pair problems, you got boss problems, you got job problems, you got a problem with me, you got a problem with yourself. It's time to take out all that negative energy and put it the out. Yeah, that's like the biggest recipe, Like if you want to charge some of them with inciting a.
Speaker 4: Ride, right, but more so than you know, if you went to like any kind of you go to. Let's say you go to the warp Tour and you yell that you know it's the people at Woodsuck. The difference in reaction is that they had been there for three days. You couldn't bring your own food and drink in, and the prices were exorbitant, like even on today's standards, you'd see it was like five dollars for a bottle of water. And then at this point, like halfway through the last day, the ATMs all ran out of money. And so you know, you'd have everyone's getting and that we smuggled all of our stuff in because I just refuse, you know, like one way or I'll figure it out. But I'd see people who are desperate, they were hungry, they were thirsty. They're like, well, I'll just pull out more money. Money they probably could ill afford at this point because the tickets were so expensive and it's.
Speaker 2: On a really huge slab of cement.
Speaker 4: So oppressively hot, so hot, and so muggy, and they weren't picking up garbage. Yeah, the porta potties are overflowing. There's piles of trash everywhere. People are hungry and like there now there there's no money in the ATMs, and they didn't take cards back then, and so it was just like everyone's mad, just so mad. And so either they were just leaving and saying this isn't worth it, or they're listening to this ding dong up on stage who's like, do you hate everything?
Speaker 2: How mad are you mad? Now, all fifty thousand of you here, you can hear my voice. The crowd starts to tear the place apart, literally, like now they're not washing. The fistfights break out, crowd members tear the perimeter fence apart. Some folks tried the crowd surfwood. I'm sure you probably we could see it.
Speaker 4: And we could see too, like there were the towers for the lighting rigs.
Speaker 2: And stuck in a lighting sway.
Speaker 4: Yes, And that was kind of when we were like, we got to get out of here, but I.
Speaker 2: Had to be evacuated. Those towers, they had to be evacuated. Yeah, so the camera people's sound people, they all fled the scene.
Speaker 4: When we were making a run for it, we ran by these two kids who were probably eight ten years old or something, and they had like a baby doll they'd rip the head off of and they were they just look like they're out of their minds on something kids. And I was like, this is this is so bad. We've got to get out of here immediately, like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, after break stuff, that song's over. The concert promoters tried to regain control because they actually made the band pause while medical staff could clear out the wounded like it was a gladiator pit. Nuts right. Fred Durst does his part to kind of calm the anger he's unleashed because he sees it right, and the band starts to play their other big hit and Nookie, and Fred tells the crowd, we already let out all the negative energy. It's time to reach down and bring that positive energy. This it's time to let yourself go right now. Because there are no rules out there. He really just bad at.
Speaker 4: The peace and the love or just shining out of that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So at this point he climbs aboard one of the plywood panels and tries to CrowdSurf this writhing crowd, and the security is like trying to stop him, like Fred, and he's like, I gotta be me, man, and he just goes out there and crowdsurfing. Right when the band finishes their set, police officers approach Fred and they're accompanied by the band's manager. They all tell Fred about all the damage he's caused. He's nonplus right. In an interview after the fact, Fred Durst exculpated himself by saying, I didn't see anybody getting hurt. You don't see that when you're looking out on a sea of people in the stage is twenty feet in there, and you're performing and you're feeling your music. How did you expect us to see something bad going on the same scene that you've described. He claims that he could not do that.
Speaker 4: Well see it, Well, it's just ignorant nihilism.
Speaker 2: I think it's a lie. I think it's a lie. So now, months after the concert, Trent Reznor, front man for zine Inch Nails. He leveled some criticism at fred Durst because a lot of people were like a lot of people were blaming him, and so even people who were at Woodstock ninety nine they're like, no, it was like Jonathan Davis of Corn he blamed fred Durst. Yeah, Trent Reznor told Rolling Stone his unvarnished opinion of fred Durst. He said, fred Durst can serf a piece of plywood up mile. Now. Years later, one of Woodstock ninety nine promoters, John Sheer, Yeah, you had this to say fred Durst, who, if I haven't said in enough times, is a complete a moron. He was completely out of his mind.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So this performance and this all around debacle, this becomes like the nadea of Limp Biscuits, like not standing in the culture, but like an example of like, this is what this band is about. If they spend the rest of their careers trying to basically prove that they are not this share media is violent.
Speaker 4: They were trying to prove that they were like rebels and bad boys, and they didn't have anything lyrically, no, that was backing that up.
Speaker 2: No or musically.
Speaker 4: They weren't innovators in that it sounded like basically everything else that was doing that, and then so here like, oh, this is how I'm going to prove that I'm a bad boy, but I don't have the stones to stand up for it, you know what I mean. And if you're a real like rebel or bad boy, or if you were a real contrarian, you'd stop it, stop what was happening and like call it out.
Speaker 2: As if you were, as he says, a formerly bullied kid, you might be a little more sensitive to I mean.
Speaker 4: You think about when the you know, musicians that I've I've read interviews are ones that I've even known when they talk about like a crowd going south and the choices you have, and like, you know, uh, one of the ones that I love is the drop Kick Murphy's that when they really started standing up politically in this latest you know, Hellscape, they had some fans who were opposed to what they were saying. You know, we're right leading fans, and rather than ignoring it or stopping it, they just confronted it and we're like, we're not going to stand for that. We're not going to stand for any kind of like fascist symbolism.
Speaker 2: Or that kind of stuff.
Speaker 4: You know, you gotta you gotta be brave, and Durst is not brave, No.
Speaker 2: Not particularly. He's also kind of doing it, you know, essentially for the reaction. It's a very adolescent response. Yes, so at this point the music community starts to respond to him like you have Like he gets into a feud with the band of slip slip Knot. I'm not sure if you remember Slipknot. They were the new metal band that looked like they'd let a classroom of first graders make masks of a bunch of stuff. They brought it home from home. Yeah, like, oh those pipe cleaners.
Speaker 4: So the story I can't get with that, but I at least have more respect for that kind of experimentation.
Speaker 2: Oh sure, yeah, there's some artistic quality there. Yeah, now the story goes. Fred Durst said that Slip Knots fans were quote a bunch of fat, ugly kids, which reasonably pissed off the front man of Slipknot, This cat named Corey Taylor. So the formerly Bullet Good now acting as the boy. So Corey Taylor offers a teach bread Durst some lessons in civility. In ninety nine, the front man of slip Knot went on stage and said, Fred you may have a lot of money and being all over the world, but when you talk about Slipknot and our fans, we will kill you. Who chase there's any mistake about his intent. When he was later asked about the band's feud with Fred Durst, the frontman of Slipknot, he looked at a camera on a different show and as if like Free were talking to fred Durst, he screamed, we will come there and we will kill you. Oh God. So yeah, he was like Florida on Florida Violence right. As much fun as it may be to picture it, the mass musicians of Slipknot never did beat up fred Durst, which brings us to our next fred Durst strangeness. Elizabeth, see if you can do this. I wanted to try to imagine Fred Durst and Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt at the House of Blues in La hanging out together, getting high in a back room.
Speaker 4: I don't know if I wanted to do Okay, I can do this.
Speaker 2: This place called the the Foundation Room. I've actually been in the Foundation Room. It's this upstairs private club inside of the House of Blues, and I didn't get there because I was specially I got there because my friend was a waiter there. My friend's style was a weight at the House of Blues and around this same time, actually he'd bring me in and the security would let me be in these types of secret spaces and because I'd hooked them up with weed or whatever, and it was like I was go, was dope. I gotta se Johnny Cash perform at the House of Baaloesa and yeah, and it was like one of his last public shows. Also, my boy style once he stole Rosa Park's fork when she came in and ate at their weekly Sunday.
Speaker 4: Brun out of her hand.
Speaker 2: No, no, like when she was done, he like poinked it and he kept it as a souvenir like I've got Rosa Parks for I lived with that at the time. We were so proud we put it on like our band toll exactly. So anyway, this story is best told by Fred Durst as he told it on his own short lived podcast, and I quote, I went to the premiere of rock Star. I'm friends with Mark Wahlberg and he had this movie coming out, so I'd go to the premiere. And at the premiere before the movie, I met Jennifer Aniston and somehow ended up telling her I was a fan of her husband, Brad Pitt. I think it was her husband boyfriend something like that. But she says, no way, he's a fan of you and your band. You got to meet him, and I said that would be awesome. So she says, after the movie, mean set the House of Blues at the Foundation Room. We're having a private little party. I was like, dope, So there's the setup, right, didn't happen? My husband and I saw you from across the bar.
Speaker 4: Always a huge fan of yours. Here meet us at this fun party.
Speaker 2: So Fred Durst. He goes back to Fred and I quote. So after the movie, I drove over to the House of Blues on sunset and I was kind of late, and I went up to the Foundation Room and it was empty. Just the bartender was there, and I sat there for a little while. I had a couple of drinks and I was like, damn, man, they really pulled one on me there. So he thinks he's been stood up by Chen and Brad. Brad and Jen. As much fun as it is to think that they actually punked Fred Durst. It turns out he wasn't getting punked. He just didn't know that there was a secret room inside the private club. Because the House of Blues is supposed to be like the speakeasy, like an so it's got all these like secret rooms in private clubs. So back to Fred Durst and I quote then the secret door open and a bouncer or a bodyguard or somebody said are you Fred? And I was like yeah, and he's like, they're waiting for you in here. So I went in this private, little hidden room, and of course it was the after party, very small, really intimate. There was Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt and some other people, and I said hello. We were like hanging and laughing and having a really cool time. He couldn't have been cooler and she couldn't have been cooler. It was very very special for me. So at this point though, it goes more full on Fred Durst and he finds a way to ruin the moment. Yes, back to Fred And next thing you know, somebody's passing around to joint and I don't smoke weed, but I'm a little buzz and I'm like, all right, I'll just go at the flow here and take a little puff. And I guess I took more than a little puff. I guess because I was out of my mind all of a sudden, like whoa. And all I remember was that after that feel like making Love from Bad Company was playing super loud, and me having Brad and Jennifer and like a headlock. Jennifer's on my left, Brad's on my right. My arms are around their heads and jumping up and down, screaming the song at the top of my lungs. Sure if they were singing with me or enjoying it, but I do remember that I was like, whoa. I was so embarrassed. It's this story is wasn't cursed enough. Later on, Fred went to the set of Mister and Missus Smith What the movie where that Brad made with Angelina Joel had destroyed his marriage with Jennifer Aniston, and Fred apologizes to Brad for being a douchebag. With Brad and Jen back of the House of Booze. So apparently, unlike me, who would have told him he's the reason why I got divorced from Jen. Apparently Brad was chill about it. Fred says that that he this is what he said to Brad quote. I said, hey, I just really want to apologize for this moment back in the day at the House of Blues, and he was like, no way, bro, that was awesome. You were killer. We had so much fun. And I was like, no, I'm really sorry. I wasn't myself. I'm sorry I acted that way. So he has Brad Pitt tell him multiple times how cool he is. He threw other people, never himself.
Speaker 4: Happened. He wound up going to this after party. He sees them, he puts him in the headlock while screaming. Then he somehow I don't even know if he actually went to the set of the movie, like, no one's gonna ask Brad Pitt, can you verify it?
Speaker 2: Can you verify this? Durst?
Speaker 4: So yeah, I went there and he was all, no, bro, you're like my favorite. I loved it. Like, let's say he did wind up on the film set. Annie went up and apologized. I would put money on Brad Pitt having absolutely no idea what he's talking about or who he is, and being like, you know, it's cool, man, you were great.
Speaker 2: Totally, totally cool bro.
Speaker 4: I gotta get going, but you know, oh liar.
Speaker 2: So this brings us to Fred durst feud with Scott Stapp, the lead singer of Creed.
Speaker 4: Oh man, the hits just keep coming.
Speaker 2: Totally right, like I hammered to the head. June of two thousand, during the era of huge summer concerts. I guess Limpbiscuit was invited to join like Ozzie and the Deaf Tones and Godsmack at something called Dysfunctional Family Picnic, New York, right, and another band on the bill was Creed, which just makes for a very weird show. Absolutely Anyway, when limp Biscuits on stage after showing up an hour late, Fred Durst leans into the mic and tells the crowd, I want to dedicate this next song to the lead singer of Creed, and the song was their hit break Stuff, which everybody knew had the good connotations to Woodstock. Mattis right. So before the band starts into the song, Fred goes on to say that guy's an ego maniac, he's a punk and he's backstage right now, acted like Michael Jackson. So when Creed he says this on on stage before he plays the song. Dedicated to the guy he's running down Classic, which obviously he did not mean. But when Creed Lynn later takes the stage Scott's stab, he doesn't run down Fred Durst, which would have been, you know, really easy to do. Instead, he just says it takes a lot more guts to say something to somebody than behind their backs. So he man's up on him. So this isn't the end of it because Fred isn't done. Later on Fred's on MTV's TRL aka Total Request Live and he addresses his new feud with frontman of Creed. Fred says to MTV, for one thing, the guy's out of his mind. The guy thinks he's better human than everybody. You walk by his dressing room and his people look at you and go. You do not approach the band, You do not talk to the band, You do not look at the band. Now. I don't know if he was jealous of their popularity without having to be Dix to everyone all the time, or it just remind him of people who bullied him back in high school, or like being excluded. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I feel like, you know, I think if Jimmy Creed was his.
Speaker 2: Name, he was the singer Scott's Day.
Speaker 4: If I'm him and I go out on stage after having fred Durst run his little mouth, you don't say anything. And then if someone says, oh, why didn't you respond like, oh, I'm sorry, I wasn't listening when they were out on stage.
Speaker 2: I don't listen to I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: I don't know anything about that, but it gets what I to your question. I do wonder was fred Durst always the bully not the bullied? No, I think it's this is like perpetual bully behavior, though I don't think.
Speaker 2: He understands the limits of it. A bully like how to be a tolerated.
Speaker 4: Why pick on the dufices.
Speaker 2: And creed it's you kind of called him. The late nineties had a lot of agro. This is like, you know, an era of like hyper masculinity, but done is like I'm a dick. You see that I got in your face? Right? So it's really like it's the most toxic of he expressed it the most fully, and he was getting a lot of money and prestige for it. So he's just gonna go bigger and bigger until the balloon pops.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's what happened with people I know who had run ins with him. Is he wanted to start fights and there's who are you? I don't even know?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, well the balloon keeps inflating. He's trying to start fights. You know. Creed invited him to fight, like actually like a boxing match for charity, and then Fred he did not show up.
Speaker 4: He was like, yeah, wait, so he starts all that and doesn't show up.
Speaker 2: He's like, I'm on tourcals, I can't do that now. A few summers later, Fred Durst is back in the news after he makes this spectacle at another summer concert, the Summer Sanitarium to headlined by Metallica. Knowing that Olympisco would be one of the acts of the summer concert. This local radio DJA he urged all his listeners in the Chicago Land area to let Fred Durst just hear it, mock him to his face, hackle him, throw stuff at him ways on stage for days and days, possibly weeks. He's telling his listeners just do not give this guy a nice welcome to Chicago.
Speaker 4: They're giving him exactly what he wants. What he wants the attention. That's what all of this is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this two thousand and three, that the era is starting to change. Right Limp Biscuit. They take the stage in Chicago, the crowd starts chanting Fred Durst, Fred Durst, over and over again. Right that does the trick. Is twenty minutes into the set, fred Durst throws down his mic and he flees the stage in anger. He just ran yeah. According to MTV dot COM's account, he continued his profanity lace tirade from off stage with shouts about how the band would be back and boasts that we are the greatest band in the world. The abbreviated performance caused a ninety minute delay between lymp Biscuit and headliners Metallic. So he pisses off everybody all the way around. Oh my god. Now I found someone who was at the show who allegedly at least they wrote a review on a fan site, and I quote, I always knew Fred had an ego problem. At the concert in Chicago, he had totally lost it. When he came out, the fans were booing him and whipping like the three dollars water bottles and six dollars lemonade bottles at him. He got really pissed off, called them, then started calling everyone from Chicago. He was telling everyone they could. So this is like his approach to being like the star. There's mark because the same fan ended their review with a choice quote one last thing. In between songs, he went and got a shotgun and was firing it into the air. I don't know if that they were real bullets. I was wondering if he shot it at other concerts too. On the other hand, Lincoln Park and Metallica rock. So there's that now. There was also around the same time the Fred Durst in two thousand and five. Two years later, was back in the news after a sex tape he made was online. In my list of things I'd never ever ever want to see, I think fred Durst's sex tape is definitely high on that list. But I guess the folks did want to see it, and so it showed up on ten different websites. So what is fred Durst do? He sues them now. According to Billboard, the lawsuit, filed in Los Angeles federal court last week, seeks more than seventy million dollars in damages and any profits the site operators reaped in recent weeks when the three minute clip of Durst and a former girlfriend began appearing on the internet, So I don't know which part is funnier to me though the fact he sued for seventy million dollars for the fact that his sex tape was three minutes long. Now, according to Billboard and the complaint, Durst contends the two thousand and three video was never meant for public viewing. It was stored in Durst's home computer, but hackers managed to break in remotely and make a copy. According to the lawsuit, hackers, I was hacked. Do you believe this? No, not at all.
Speaker 4: Attention boy, he wanted attention.
Speaker 2: When news broke of the sex tape. Gocker rep Gocker. They published a video from the sex tape that showed Fred Durst and a full on shot of his little Fred Durst, and the post was removed. But then hours even they were like, this is too much, too far. We may be gawker, but this is crossing a line. So the damage is done though, so fred Durst lawyers they joined the ranks of folks who were suing Gawker. Oh no, yeah, I guess when Fred Durst here's about this, he reverses his lawyer's action and he according to Gawker. Quote. Durst sent Gawker flowers and a note that explained he quote never wanted the suit to include you guys.
Speaker 4: He's like, I want more attention.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I couldn't find the verdict on the lawsuit against the ten websites. Yeah, but I have to assume they settled out of court. All Gay, you know what time it is. It's time to take another little break after these messages. I'll tell you one of my favorite stories about Fred and his legal troubles. No Rebacca, Elizabeth.
Speaker 4: Yes we are.
Speaker 2: Are you ready to hear my absolute favorite Fred Durst and Limp Biscuit story? Sure? Good good. In the biography Eruption in the Canyon two hundred and twelve Days and Nights with the Genius of Eddie van Halen, the books author Andrew Bennett, he recounts this gem of a story where Eddie Van Halen goes over to Limp Biscuit's rented mansion and like Beverly Hills to like jam out with Fred Durst after the guitarist Wes Borland had quit the band once again. Okay, he does this often. He quit, comes back, comes back anyway, I guess Fred Durst wanted to give Andy van Halen an audition to replace stock Wes Borland on guitar stop. Can you imagine being Eddie van Halen and hearing Limp Biscuit wants to give you a tryout to join the Why even.
Speaker 4: Go over there? Was? He just like morbid curiosity?
Speaker 2: He does it? I don't know. He goes to Beverly Hill's house, he jams out with Fred Durst and trust Fred was well aware of the irony of all this. He told the author with this guy Bennett, that would be absolutely hilarious if quote, the greatest guitar player ever plays with the worst band ever. He's not switches a bit. Remember before they were the greatest band.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So anyway, the author Bennett added his take, saying that the jam session with Eddie Van Halen must have quote been like a scholar amongst kindergarteners. So can you imagine how that jam session must have played out in real life? No, because I got three words for you. Close your eyes, my eyes. I want you to picture it. It's midday and Beverly Hills and you are passed out on a couch and the rented mansion of Limp biscuit. You spent the last few days here because you are a limp biscuit groupie can generally make terrible decisions with your life. Anyway. You're violently awoken when you hear the band start jamming. But there's this one sound that doesn't mesh with all the other noise you hear coming from down the hallway. It's a beautiful guitar fighting against the heavy, chunky, new metal sound. You know to be nim biscuit. You get up from the couch and pad down the hallway to see what's making this beautiful sound against the racket you know and love. The end of the hallway is a converted garage. It's been turned into a home studio. When you open the door, you see the source of that beautiful noise. Is that, yes, it is. It's Eddie van Halen of the band Van Halen. He's playing his iconic red guitar with all the white and black ribbon mines all over it, and he seems to be enjoying himself. As Fred Durst freestyles on the mic, how crazy you think to yourself? You take a seat on a couch in the home studio. Soon enough, the band stops playing to take a break. They join you on the couches. This whole moment is surreal. Fred Durst ask you for a lighter. You scrounge one from your jean's pocket and hand it over. He lights a join and starts to smoke. But there's soon a problem when Eddie van Halen comes over. He says he's in recovery. He doesn't like to be around drugs. The band thinks he's kidding. He is not soon enough. Eddie van Halen cusses up a storm, then storms out of the jam space, slamming the studio door behind him. You think that's kind of weird. The next day, Elizabeth, you're again asleep on a couch and the rented mansion of Lynbiscuit. You hear a phone ring and ring. No one is answering it, so you do. If the other end is Eddie van Halen, and he is still pissed. He shouts about how he wants to come get his guitars and his amps from next studio space. You tell him your gift, Fred the message. You hang up the phone and you go back to bed on the couch, and you probably forget all about the call. The next day, you get again, wake up on the couch in the same rented mansion of Lynbiscuit. You hear people shouting about something. Don't they know you're trying to sleep. Clearly they don't know, or they don't care because they have more pressing matters. Eddie van Halen is outside and he's driving up to the mansion in a military assault vehicle, one that looks like he bought it directly from the US Army. He pulls up to the house, drives up onto the lawn. This thing is a beast. It has a gun mount with a machine gun. Clearly, Eddie van Halen means business. You go to the window and watch Eddie van Halen hops out of his military assault vehicle, which he leaves running on the lawn in case he needs like make a speedy exit. Eddie van Halen huffs it puffs as he walks up to the front door. He's not wearing a shirt. His jeans have no belt. Instead, he has a rope where a belt should be. He's wearing combat boots fastened together with duct tape, and his hair is piled atop his head like a Samurai top knot. He looks a mess. Oh, and he also has a gun in his hand. You see Fred Durst go to the door and open it to greet Eddie van Halen. When the front door swings open, Eddie van Halen lifts his gun and he aims it right at Fred Durst's red hat and he barks at Fred, where's my Fred looks at you and says, tell Peter to go get Eddie van Halen. You don't know who Peter is, so you just shake your head. Fred calls out, Peter, get Eddie van Halen's guitars and ams from the studio and bring them out here. Satisfied, eddievan Halen lowers the gun, but just so he can light a cigarette. Once he screws that litzig into his waiting face, he raises the gun and points it again at Fred Durst. The two men stand out front in the Beverly Hills mansion in the middle of the day as they wait for Eddie van Halen's music gear to be delivered out to them. The assault vehicle idols in the background. Neither man talks. Once the assistant guitar tech Peter comes out with the stuff. You watch as Eddie van Halen personally calls it to his waiting assault vehicle. No one helps her load it. Once he has all his stuff, Eddie van Halen tucks his gun into his jeans with the rope belt, climbs into his military assault vehicle with the machine gun mount, and he drives away. Is that not the best?
Speaker 4: His outfit is amazed? This just sounds so rad his hair all up top. Was Valerie Burton Ellie like at the catbird seat shooting the gun.
Speaker 2: She's like, yeah, she's in the driver's seat, she's waiting. Then she positioned, repositioned in the the mount, she's aiming the gun. Sixty col. So now, I'm sorry to make you a groupie for lymp Biscuits, but I wanted you to have a front roast scene, low point in their lives. So that one's wild, right, Yeah, I've got a couple more. This next one is another one of my favorite fred Durst stories. Did you know that in twenty fifteen Fred Durst was banned from Ukraine?
Speaker 4: Band from Ukraine?
Speaker 2: Why was fred Durst banned from Ukraine? But that's not all, Elizabeth. There's a related question. Why was Limp Biscuit and fred Durst banned from Estonia in twenty twenty five. What great questions, Elizabeth. I know it all comes down to something Fred did back in twenty fifteen. You see, Fred Durst decided to wade into international relations and share his feelings about Russia violently annexing Crimea from Ukraine. So the recent news hook is that in November of last year, twenty twenty five, the show promoter, Baltic Live Agency, canceled a Limp Biscuit show scheduled for May of this year in Talline, Estonia. According to the Estonian news agency er R, the promoter put out this press release stating that quote, we inform you that, due to circumstances beyond the organizer's control, the Limp Biscuit concert plan for May thirty first, twenty two, twenty six is canceled. Our apologies exclamation point.
Speaker 4: They're all on their knees, all across Estonian bruising. Wait, what is it? What does it have to do with Ukraine?
Speaker 2: I'm going to tie it all together for you. So that same Estonian news site they clarified that it wasn't due to the fact that it wasn't two thousand and two anymore, and there was no demand for tickets, but rather that the canceled show stemmed from Fred Durst holding up a sign back in twenty fifteen that read quote Crimea equals Russia. Now this was one year after it was Russia annex Crimea from Ukraine? Like not like before one year?
Speaker 4: Was it like standing with the people of Ukraine.
Speaker 2: No, he was standing with the Russians. Oh, Fred, No, Elizabeth, you may be wondering, why would Jacksonville, Florida is fine as Fred Durst have strong opinions about international relations in Russia's seizure of crime questions doesn't normally expressed political sentiments about the USA. No, Well, from the articles I read, the credit for Fred's political awakening dates back to his marriage to his third wife, Russian makeup artist Kenitsia Brerozina. So you see, back in twenty fifteen, the same year he held up that sign Crimea equals Russia, he also publicly expressed his interest in buying a home in Crimea. Not only that, he also publicly expressed his interest in getting into the Crimean film and TV industry and making movies over there. According to Billboard Magazine, which cited this Russian newspaper that reported that Fred quote said, sent a leather Crimean authorities in which he said that he was interested in spending half of the year in the region producing films and TV series that would take Russia to a new level in the industry, also working for a great future of Crimea and Russia.
Speaker 4: No I just.
Speaker 2: Once spread durs wants to get his foot in the door in the Russian film. He also reportedly told the same thing to Spotneck International, another Russian news outlet. He added that he was hopefully he could get a Russian passport and to sway the Russians in his favor. Fred apparently wrote a letter to Crimean officials in which he lauds Vladimir Putin and referred to him as quote a great guy with clear moral principles and a nice person.
Speaker 4: Did he land an ambassadorship this time around?
Speaker 2: No, I mean Jordan cabinet position. W Bush said he saw his soul, and he saw his soul or the soul of Vladimir Putin in his eyes, right, And so I think he's trying to piggyback off that kind of leg. But he's just like fifteen years late on this, or you know, I guess fourteen yeah, so between the sign he held up his comments on Vladimir Putin's fining qualities as a human being. The Nation of Ukraine banded Fred Durst and Limp Biscuit their music Yeah Right Buddy, which brings us to the canceled twenty twenty six show in Estonia. After Fred's comments about Putin being a nice guy resurfaced online, the Estonian Ministry of Foreign Affairs publicly noted supporters of Putin and his invasion of Ukraine were not welcome in Estonia. Nice. But that's not all because for those who still followed Limp biscuits musical output, there was also a music video that muddied the waters as well, because in twenty twenty three, Olympis Get put out a music video for their new song out of Style just says it all. I assume it's a commentary in the fact that over the years the band has refused to change in style or sound. Sure, anyway, I watched the music video because I know you wouldn't the first Woo girl, it is something. The video features the reunited band like Westborland is back.
Speaker 4: At the bed, Yeah, Eddie van Halen's Hole.
Speaker 2: They're performing in a suburban garage just starting all over again, right, like the garage.
Speaker 4: Jars men, Yes, grown men who have to get prostate exams. Yes, grown men with sciatica.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's like fifty two to fifty three years old at this point. But the band they don't look like themselves, right, because I think they know that they look like people who have sciatica and need prostating SAMs. So instead they have deep faked faces, right, they have like fake faces like the computer enhanced ye every.
Speaker 4: Place, the reverse aging like from the Irishman.
Speaker 2: The fred Durst has made it look like Vladimir Putin.
Speaker 4: No no, no no, it's.
Speaker 2: Still wearing his trademark red hat, so it's Putin wearing fred Durst like red hat. Quite the look. Then there's the guitarist West Borland. He's deep fake to look like Joe Biden and he even like falls off a kid's bike, which to make fun of the fact Joe Biden fell off a bike at the time. Then there's the turntables DJ Lethal who looks like Vollitimayer Zelensky right, and the drummer he's made to look like Jijinping, which I don't even want to get into the whole implication to that it's all in hinge, right, it's not kind of un it it's all unhinged now, Elizabeth, let me tell you. Seeing Vladimir Putin and Fred's distinctive red hat while he's air scratching the turntables inside the suburban garage is just a wild image to content. I'm good. There's also the shot of Vladimir Putin's aka Fred holding up a beer bong in the garage while Joe Biden aka Wes Borland and DJ lethal Is Zolensky and the drummer Zijongping. I'll cheer him on to drink it. Another wild moment in my life to consider.
Speaker 4: It's really incisive political commentary that.
Speaker 2: He gets clear, you get the message. This is up there with like Genesis and yeah, yeah, but I haven't gotten to the lyrics of the song.
Speaker 4: They are cool.
Speaker 2: Sorry. Expecting Time is a production of Fred sings I've been asking for something, asking for something. Well, I'm asking for nothing. Ask him for nothing. When's it gonna change? Hurts me in a loving kind of way. I'm gonna celebrate. Yeah, And then he goes on to wrap It's time to rock this because I'm always out of style. Never changed my style because my style is kind of fresh. You asking for a sound check check one two? You barely touch the ground. Yeah, so there you go.
Speaker 4: That's not enough for political insight.
Speaker 2: Totally looks and goes, I wish I had that talent. Now I have one more fun fact about that music. It was made in twenty two twenty three, which was five years after Fred divorced his Russian makeup artist w Didncia Bitterzino. They split back in twenty eighteen, so we can't blame his wife for his pro putin content. And I've really never liked to do like blame the wife or blame a woman for what a man does. But point of fact, it was Fred all along. So which brings us to my last Fred Nurse tuita another personal favor because it evolves the band Insane Clown Posse.
Speaker 4: Are You kidding?
Speaker 2: Aka? The other Wheeze?
Speaker 4: Are there Furries? Can we just can we go all in?
Speaker 2: So the story goes back in twenty eighteen when Limp Biscuit was performing in Camden, New Jersey at the Rock Allegiance Festival. Their co headliners were The Insane Clown Posse featuring rappers Violent Jay and Shaggy two Dope. So they were backstage while Limp Biscuit was on stage doing their set. The bands are running through their cover of George Michael's song Faith m you know, the scream singing affair, and I guess Shaggy Too Dope had the same kind of reaction you have and it just said had enough? So what does he do? Question? Listen. Yes, Shaggy Too Dope rocks up the nerve to go out on stage mid set and he attempts to do a flying kung fu kick at Fred Durst.
Speaker 4: He just couldn't take it anymore.
Speaker 2: No, he's like, I gotta kick him off the stage. Yes, I say attempt because his take off with not Queen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I could imagine this estimation.
Speaker 2: Of his kung fu skill was overblown, his desire far away his skill. What must have been a great idea when his brain came up, when it turned into a pathetic attemp in his body execut.
Speaker 4: It's like when children are like, watch this and in their mind they're gonna like fly through the air. They're gonna be like some sort of anime figures.
Speaker 2: So you know, and then it's just Shaggy too dope. Gravity disagrees, another victim of gravity. So Fred is on the mic, singing with Shaggy two Dope emergents fight his stage. He sort of half runs out on stage, leaves into the air sideways to perform his flying kick, and then gravity humbles him. He slams at the stage before making contact with Fred Durst. So, as music outlet Metal Sucks reported, oh and I quote. What's not presently clear is whether or not mister two dope sincerely intended to hurt mister Durst. One concertgoer, noting that the two have collaborated before, says that Durst quote shouted out ICP earlier in the set, and two dopes body language is throwing horns, running blacks of days, et cetera, does not suggest any earnest aggression.
Speaker 4: So what if I'm him and I meant to kick him right in the head and lop his noggin off and have it rolled across the stace. I missed two three feet, I'd like I meant to do that.
Speaker 2: I was just play acting, man, me, I'm crazy. How funny is that insane clown? Posse? So, after his flying kick fails. Fred Durst dressed in a by the way Bo Jackson raiders Jersey and a wide brand Wow, dare you gamo hunting hat? And I don't know dirt bike gloves, He proudly says to the crowd. What he couldn't even pull it off. And at this point security team drags Shaggy Too Dope off stage. I couldn't find any reports of any criminal charges filed against mister two dope. And after that, Elizabeth is where we will leave it.
Speaker 4: He should then Bo Jackson should have come out on the stage and just ended him.
Speaker 2: So what's ridiculous Jackson Jersey?
Speaker 4: Mmm? You know, I thought we were friends, but you.
Speaker 2: Do all these mashups at me. So I had to Fred Durst at you.
Speaker 4: I think I think I will call it even though, So what's yours takeaway?
Speaker 2: I was surprised when I was doing this research that he hasn't spent much time behind bars or had very serious charges. It's mostly him doing adolescent antics in an embarrassing way and then running off to the next place he can get attention and then doing it again, wash rants repeat. I was just like, you know, and like I'm pulling for the guy. Honestly, Like, I'm like reading these stories, I'm like, I want you to overcome your fred durstness, kill the monster that you created fred Durst. And he just refuses.
Speaker 4: Can I just keep waiting for him to pop off to the wrong person.
Speaker 2: I think he's done a good job of picking people who cannot find his home address, or if they are, and they show up with just the most insane stuff and just out.
Speaker 4: Crazy, like you know the Creed dude, Jimmy Creed. He's like, oh, you want to fight, well, let's do this for charity and we'll wear boxing gloves. Yeah, he's not going to go out and actually do it.
Speaker 2: No, he's not going to like lace up gloves and swing those things. Tell you in the mood for a talkback, believe I figure you need it desperately. Oh God, I want.
Speaker 5: Hi. This is Anna from Texas and I wanted to tell you about my ridiculous family. In the late eighteen hundreds, my Italian immigrant family came to Vicksburg, Mississippi, and started a little grocery store there, and they almost completely burned down the entire block because they were trying to ripen bananas by candlelight in the middle of the night and that is just ridiculous. Thanks for the great show.
Speaker 4: Candle Light Banana ripening is so I want to know the uncle or grandfather who came up with that.
Speaker 2: Everyone's like, yes, we get a lot of candles.
Speaker 4: And then they find out you just put them in a paper bag.
Speaker 2: What what now? No? I like, we got all these candles. We know how hard it was to get all this.
Speaker 4: That's ridiculous and I love it.
Speaker 2: Thank you for the As always, you can find us online Ridiculous Crime on Blue Sky and Instagram and was it Fangle and the other ones? Yes, And also we have our accounting Ridiculous Crime Pod on YouTube. You can listen to us there. We can watch the animation. It's kind of cool. And then also uh oh, go go to the the Apple Tunes or Apple iPod app and you leave a review, leave us a comment. We like reading what you guys have to say, or at least being told about it. We also have our website, Ridiculous Crime dot com. The website offers you all sorts of beautiful visual art and just I'm talking to chief gifts right, and then also some merch and by the way, Elizabeth the website was just nominated as the new ninth planet in our solar system. I'm very excited about that, right hope we win Fingers crossed. We also obviously love to talk back, so go to the iHeart app download it, leave us a talkback. Maybe we'll hear your voice here. We'd like to hear it. And also you can email us if you want at Ridiculous Crime at gmail dot com. Thanks for listening and we will catch you next crime. Ridiculous Crime is hosted by Elizabeth Dutton and Zaren Burnett, produced and edited by Eddie Van Halen's personal stylist Dave Houston, and starring Annaly's as Judith. Research is by Lin Biscuits, Deep Fake Tech team, Marissa Brown and Jabbari Davis. Our theme song is by the actual Greatest band in the World aka Thomas Lee and Travis Dutt. The host wardrobe provided by Botany five hundred. Guest hair and makeup by Sparkleshock and mister Andre. Executive producers are the former promoters of Woodstock ninety nine, Pen Bowl and pen.
Speaker 3: Bowl Browns QUI Say It One More Time Crime.
Speaker 1: Ridiculous Crime is a production of iHeartRadio four More podcasts, My heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.