Speaker 1: I am all in again.
Speaker 2: Hello, let's just you.
Speaker 1: I am all in again with Scott Patterson and iHeartRadio Podcast. He Everybody, Scott Patterson, I Am all in Podcast, one of them productions iHeartRadio Media. I Heart Podcast Season two, Episode nine, Runaway Little Boy. November twenty seven, two thousand and one, was the momentous date that this originally aired, and I am joined by very special guests. Mister Everywhere, mister everything. You see him in every scene. Just about Robert Lee, the famous Robert Lee. Hello, Robert, how are you?
Speaker 2: I'm doing great? How are you doing?
Speaker 1: I'm doing okay. You are credited for appearing in Good Trouble, to Pit, ex Pat's, Gray's Anatomy, Call Me Kat, and so much of Gilmore Girls, And I'm thrilled to have here. We're going to dive into this, but before we get started, you were on the Pit, the hottest show right now. So how was that? How was it different from Gilmore Girls?
Speaker 2: That that was a great show. The working with John Wall's production and Noah Wiley and the wonderful actors on set. They had a great crew. It was a little crazy. I played a gentleman that was having a heart attack and they were moving crazy fast to save my life. But that was a wonderful experience and the crew was welcoming. The actors are great, fantastic.
Speaker 1: Now let's discuss the episode Romeo and Juliet. Here's the synopsis. Dean gets jealous when Rory and Tristan are cast as Romeo and Juliet in the school play, which is fifty percent of the overall grade, and Luke Teas's Laura Ali for dating a younger man. Director Danny Leaner writer John Stevens. Paris is directing who else would be directing? She's in charge, and Rory's kisses Juliet and Tristan is Romeo. She feels Rory does inclined to tell Dean about her kiss with Tristan at that party in season one because Paris is making them do rehearsals in Stars Hollow at Miss Patty's when Dean insists on watching Rory's rehearsals. She asked Tristan to keep their kiss a secret. But during the rehearsal, what does Tristan do? He does Tristan things. He reveals that they had a kiss before, and that's right in front of Dean, who insisted on being there. Later, we find out that Tristan's dad has pulled him out of school for bad more bad behavior, you know, fulonious behavior, breaking into people's safes and taking money out. You know, any other kid would have gone to jail and been prosecuted. But so Tristan goes to a private military school in North Carolina, and then Para steps up to inhabit the role so fully as Romeo. In the final performance, Robert is Dean being overprotective? Was he justified?
Speaker 2: Well? I mean I have to say that Dean was pretty annoying in this episode. He was being extremely needy and insecure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but don't you think Tristan was even being more annoying? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yes, he absolutely was. He was egging danon every step of the way, and it just wouldn't. I mean, the episode itself is so well. I mean, the dialogue that we had in the diner with you you just slinging those mad You had great lines.
Speaker 1: Good stuff, good stuff, good stuff. So they're teenagers, how was Dean supposed to act? I thought he acted pretty grown up for a teenager.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he wasn't too bad. He wasn't too bad. It just it just some of the things. The pushing.
Speaker 1: I mean, men do that, right, they do that. That's the same scene that has been played out time and again for thirty plus forty plus men. Yeah, I think I should be there. Yeah, I think I'm crazy. Right. Yeah, someone's always getting in between Dean and Rory.
Speaker 2: Right, Yes, it's always trying to get in there.
Speaker 1: So, but do you think he went too far? Do you think Dean went too far?
Speaker 2: I think it's kind of normal for his situation in a small town. You know, you know people you're you're afraid the the implication of you know, he's rich and you know from the school, and you know, it's it's just that normal teenage anks.
Speaker 1: You think it's more that he doesn't it's not that he doesn't trust her, it's that maybe he really doesn't trust Tristan, Like that guy is manipulative, diabolical, and you know he's up to you, right, he keeps showing it at every word out of his mouth, right exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that encountered that they had at Dozes market place. You know, he was just every little needle nigging on.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think if anybody ever deserved a sock in the jaw is that character Jesus. Let me ask you this. If Dean was a little more chill right or stand offish with Rory, I wonder if she would have stayed with him. What do you think you think she there's a part of her that liked him being a little overprotective. Did that make her feel safe or did that make her did that turn her off a little bit?
Speaker 2: I think the drama, the this situation was very overwhelming for her and that was not the experience she was looking.
Speaker 1: For, right right, Obviously we know that Tristan has feelings for Rory, right it was a very sweet goodbye after he's carted off to military school. I for want am not sad to see Tristan leave the show. I think this is the last time we have to deal with us. What would you have liked to see it happen between Tristan and Rory.
Speaker 2: Well, Tristan just wouldn't learn. Would I would have liked to see an actual you know, his character was a good character, and if we could see him grow from learning from his mistakes rather than just constantly repeating mistakes over and over asking for that attention. If he kind of like put two and two together, says, you know, I could be a better person. I could grow or if Amy decided to have him grow in that character, he would have been a really awesome character to continue with the work.
Speaker 1: So you think he was redeemable. There's there's some redeemable qualities here.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean he the dialogue when he said goodbye to war kind of im just going.
Speaker 1: Man, just what how do people evolve like this? Let's let's say twenty years later, these people have an epiphany at twenty five and they say, I don't want to be this person anymore. How do these people end up? What do they do? Are they redeemable? Do they turn into like the opposite of what they once were? Are Are they as obnoxious on the other side, love bombing people all the time and trying to get everybody to fall in love with them? And I'm a great guy, And.
Speaker 2: I think the energy just kind of starts coming down, and then you kind of settle down, and you kind of well that, you know, you can't put that force, that much energy into being that character all the time, and chill kind of settle down.
Speaker 1: Well, maybe maybe the reason he's like that is because he has no idea who he is, yes, right, yes, anyway, all right, well that's for the bigger minds to ponder. All right, let's talk about lorelized date. This was This was a very This was hysterically funny. The payoff for this was really great. She's at business school. She's asked by one of her class names made. Paul is very young looking, youngish looking. Although we don't see the date. She opens up about how she enjoyed the idea of a dating life, not necessarily thinking her and Paul are a match. But you know. Then he shows up at Luke Steider with a baseball cap, one that made him look like he was seventeen. Oh, he looked like a college guy. It was really funny with his parents and he's full of enthusiasm and oh, it's just great. This was probably the funniest scene in the show.
Speaker 2: I love the lexuses line. I always wanted a little brother.
Speaker 1: She had.
Speaker 2: Again, like I told you before, you just had some great one liners, telling Laura she'd she should have a hype bar.
Speaker 1: R right, right, right, Rory had some good one liners too. I mean she had some singers. You know, she mocks her own mother. She always had a little brother, so Luke is a little salty towards Laura. I mean he's kidding her and teasing her, but then he gets a little you know, he says, you know, the turn is it's embarrassing that she's running around with a kid. I mean, right, is Luke jealous? No?
Speaker 2: I think Luke is he is generally invested in Laurali and he thinks she can do better. I mean she is literally I think he is literally embarrassed for her because he thinks that much of her and that she can do so much better.
Speaker 1: Right, I'm going to say, you know, to answer the question, is Luke playing the right game here? I think for him to remain unbothered by it could come off as uncaring, right yeah? Oh yeah, and he cares. He cares deeply.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I think another way of him showing his feelings for her is to be a little critical and to be like, you know, to take on the friend roll, like what the hell are you doing? What are you thinking of it? I mean it's a bad look for you, you know, I mean, come on, step up, I mean, without you know, pushing himself. But yeah, I don't think ice and unbothered and not engaging in it is possible for him, you.
Speaker 2: Know, I mean he wears his heart on his sleeve and he shows it all the time by showing his emotions of when he's bothered and when he's not bothered, when he's generally happy and proud of Orri, and when he's frustrated by the antics that laurel Lie sometimes does.
Speaker 1: Should he have gotten together with lorel I sooner? Is this? Is this proof that it's being dragged out too much and that the fans are getting frustrated. Like it's almost like the writing is so artful that they want the fans to give up hope, they want them to settle on. Oh, they're just going to be friends. It's never gonna happen. And then when it does happen, it's like, wow.
Speaker 2: No, it's it's it's truly a great, great slow burn. And you know Amy just writes so well and had this run out so well that yeah, I think it would have been the payoff would have been better, or had been was better by making it longer.
Speaker 1: Friendshit, there is Paul too young or you know, I don't know Laurrea Lash she date who she wants right, right? Isn't it a good idea for her to tipper tone in the dating pool again, I mean, so what, he's so he's young.
Speaker 2: So what, It's just her track record, it's just her choices in her track record has just not been sterling of late.
Speaker 1: She's in a tough spot, right. It's just such a tough to be a single mother and dating a what a minefield that is. You have to be so careful who you bring into your world. And now that you know, Rory is on her way to you know, some Ivy League institution, Let's face it, she's going somewhere. She's doing great at Chiltern, you know. Yeah, you got to take a little me time.
Speaker 2: Right exactly.
Speaker 1: And she's you know, she's thirty what, she's thirty three now, she's thirty two. At the beginning of the show, she's thirty three season two, so she's thirty three. Yeah, why not? Right?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, gotta get out and live. And I think I think Suki was right, like get out there and like, you know, anyway, is it better for Rory or Luke to make fun of this guy's age?
Speaker 2: I just well, it's just both. I mean, Rory just shows the camaraderie, the the the love and that level of kitting around with your mom and being her best friend, and then Luke just being there as as a truly good friend, going holding up a mirror and saying, what are you doing? Look at this?
Speaker 1: But you know this is very North of Eastern kidding each other, teasing each other. It's very you know, it's what It's how I grew up. This is what you do. You just bag on people you know, and it's just constantly. It's fun. Why Why do you think Luke isn't making a move just yet? What is it? What is he waiting for? Robert?
Speaker 2: I think he's a good friend. I think he's truly a good friend. And and if it comes down and he's looking for what's best for her, if someone else else turns up that he approves of that is best for her, he'll support it. But if someone like this little boy comes around and he's going to say no, this is he'll he'll he'll he'll criticize it and tell him that's not good enough. And I'm not sure he's decided that he's also putting his hat in the ring. He's truly a good friend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess he likes his routine. I think he's I think he's a little afraid of breaking up his routine. If it didn't work out, it would blow his whole world apart. If it does work out, it blows his whole world apart. Right, So he's he's I think he's hanging on with, you know, one hand plus three fingers on the other hand, and he's got a pinky and a thumb available maybe for this relationship. Boy, that didn't come out right anyway.
Speaker 2: So his I mean, his life is a little bit on the rocks because of the news of his nephew Milo coming into his life, you know, right and upsetting that card. So he's got issues.
Speaker 1: Right right, right, all right, So let's discuss Robert, if you will indulge me. I know you're busy. I know you have to be in several places at once. You're mister everywhere, mister everything. Sixth, seventh and eighth Man of the Year. Lorel I approaches Luke at the diner and she says that she doesn't have many people in her life that are permanent, and and she brings it up as an example that that could have been. Then she says she has roy Suki this town. And then last but not least you know the gipper there, Luke, and then he says that you know she has him right exactly. Let's talk about Lorelay saying that she doesn't have a lot of permanent people in her life. Did that hit you emotionally? Definitely?
Speaker 2: Oh, absolutely, because Lorela does. She is looking for stability, and she's looking for the people that she can count on, and she doesn't. She is way too scared to screw that up. And you are one of Luke is one of those you. Luke is one of those people that have been rock steady in her life.
Speaker 1: M hm. Yes, it's nice to hear, right, It's nice to hear that absolute. Yeah, So I think it maybe gets him. I think that scene maybe gets him to the starting line again in the you know, and that the kathlon that is laurel I's heart, right, he maybe wants to step up and vuy for that trophy, right, maybe? Maybe?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What do you think of all this? Do you think one of the reasons laurel I has such issues with commitment? You think it's it she's commitment phobic.
Speaker 2: Well, she's definitely admitted that she sucks at dating, right, and that you know, when she dates a man romantically, it's gone bad for her. So she's getting a lot or a little or a lot gun shy on the whole romance title. And she doesn't want that title to be put on someone that she can count on because she always loses them.
Speaker 1: Do you feel that on a psychological level, maybe she feels she isn't worthy of that type of permanence that she liked, Like she had her shot, but now she's got bigger fish to fry with her daughter and her daughter's future and that's really the important thing, and that she's made it this far and she runs her own business and she's she's an independent woman. Does she really need a man right now? I mean that's that's really the question I think this show is posing. Do you really need a guy by yourself? Maybe nice to have one if it works out, But I mean she's perfectly capable, right I'm not arguing against the relationship, trust me. The Luke LARELEI think is wonderful. But it's like she's a very capable person. She's figured it out at sixteen years old. She had to figure it out. Imagine being sixteen and having to do that. Now she's still she's she's still young, thirty thirty three years old. Yeah, but there's nothing wrong with wanting to have a partner. Nothing wrong.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: You know, she's going to be an empty nester in a couple of years, so it's like she's going to be so young still as an empty nest or she'll be what thirty four, thirty five, thirty five years old? That's really young, kidding me, right, So it's a real dilemma, you know for single mothers.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think that she's understanding that there is the next stage in her life is coming up. She's dipping her toe in the water and damn it, but it's you know, working out like it did before. So something's got to change, and she's trying to figure it out. And admitting that she sucks at dating goes a long way to I think, establish and maintain her friendship with Luke.
Speaker 1: She also includes the town like the town really is her rock. It's the collectives, it stars hollow, that is her permanence. Yeah, that's her safe place. That's where she found herself and raised her daughter. I mean, she's never going to leave that town. She's a lot like Luke in that way. I think when you know, that's why maybe these two are faded to be together because they are both that town. Yes, you know, he grew up there, but she adopted it. And I don't see her leaving, right, No, I don't see her leaving. Do you see Luke and Laurel eyes there together? Right, They're there forever in that town and they'll always be you, it will always be on. Yeah. When Luke said you have me right, you have me pretty good line.
Speaker 2: Huh, that's a great line. I mean, it just shows you that you can be a good friend, you can have a relationship with a guy and not screw it up, right, And I think that's what she needs to know, right.
Speaker 1: The inevitability of this relationship. It's inevitable, right, Yes, that's great writing. It has to feel inevitable if you want this thing to work, it's got to feel inevitable. From the first scene that we see them together, there's got to be a spark, right, There's got to be something there, you know. It seems like the writers they just they just they never give us too much. They give us just enough. Right that The magic of the show is that the magic.
Speaker 2: Robert no writing is the magic of the show it is. I mean, it's so well written. This was but second season. This is the beginning of me working on Gilmour Girls. I think it's the fourth episode that I've done as a busboy. Overall, I think I've done about ten episodes so far. And I mean, I'm I'm still finding myself in the role of the bus boy and still try not to laugh on camera when you guys boy again, you and Roy with the one liners and Liz Torres coming in, Liz Liz coming in.
Speaker 1: That's right, you had to really repress your laughter.
Speaker 2: Yes, Oh my god, God, what you read to go There was a huge difference between reading the script or the sides that they give you. So okay, I know they're going to say this, but then when you deliver and then Liz delivers and Suki delivers those lines, it's like, shit, that is way funnier than I read it.
Speaker 1: To me, it's a very heartfelt scene, very sweet little scene. Yes, And I gotta tell you my reaction to it when I first read it at the table read was you know, it gave me. I think it was the first time I felt secure that I was going to have a job going forward. Yeah, you know, because I was always a little like God, they're throwing so many guys, and I wanted to believe that this couldn't possibly.
Speaker 2: End.
Speaker 1: But you know, everybody's expendable that isn't like a Gilmore. And this is the scene that gave me that confidence, like I think I'm going to hang. I think I'm going to survive this if this sort of this merry go round of boyfriends.
Speaker 2: That is really funny. You say that because working background on the show, the ads in the first eighties were looking for a spot for me very kindly, and I was a towny walking around driving a car, and when that scene came out, going wow, I could They're gonna make me the bus boy. I guess I can do. The bus boys going to be the job that I'm going to do. And that's what it grew into that I was always in the dinerize the busboy, because you we're going to be there forever, you know what.
Speaker 1: Let's let's I want to ask you a couple of things about about how you got involved with Gilmore girls. You remember your first day on set?
Speaker 2: Wouldn't say I remember literally remember the first day on set, but I do remember coming in the first couple of times, and Carla was the first a d and she was saying, well, I'll find you something, you know. Was it going to be a teacher. We didn't know if Chilton and the teachers were going to be seen a lot, or were we going to be at Chilton mostly where we're going to be in the town generally mostly And later on as we just talked about, we found out that one of the primary sets would be Luke Steiner and we're going to be in there so much so trying to find out generalized essentially, it was first generalized that you're just going to be a towny and we'll see where it goes from there. And slowly certain specific things started coming up, like working in the diner, in which we had not just ask one or two principles, you would have up to six five six principles in and you needed someone or they needed someone to be reliable and do the background without screwing it up, you know, make the takes not about the background making mistake, but about the actors getting the work done and getting the best possibles work out of you guys. So I think this is probably one of the starting episodes one of the first episodes where they're going, oh, Rob's doing good at these complicated scenes.
Speaker 1: And can I interject something here? Days when I would be standing next to you, and you are always very friendly with everybody and very respectful and reverential. And one of the things we appreciated so much about you and the work that you were doing was that you took it so seriously like you were a member of the main cast, and that I was standing next to you one day and it was pretty early on and yeah, a lot of people were in the diner and it was kind of a hot day and we were all dressed for winter and all that, and you were sweating your brains out and I could see the moisture on your shirt. I could see the coming through your shirt, the sweat stain. And you were just like focused every single take, focused, ready to go, ready to do your thing. And if somebody, another extra wasn't doing their job right, you would go over and you would you would tell them in the night nicest possible way. It's like you were the captain of the extras and you were making sure that it was the most believable background scene. And I just I just respect you so much for the work you put in. Because you put in the same amount of hours you put your work was maybe even harder because you know, you had to focus and listen to every line of dialogue to know exactly when to hit your mark on the other side of the din, when to pick up the plate, when to I mean, you had to do all of that stuff, and you know, we really marveled at your dedication and your skill at doing this. So good on here for that.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: No small job, no small job to work in that diner, you know, you know right, because those scenes were very, very complex, and the blocking was very complex at times.
Speaker 2: You guys had so much dialogue to do, and I respected you guys so much, and I understood that I can't be There's just I just could not be part of the problem. I needed to be part of the solution because you guys were getting your damn you were getting your lines last minute all the time. And I saw it. I heard it. I heard when the Blues and the Pinks came in. I'm just going, are you kidding me? They're changing it again? All that dialogue that you guys have to do, and I just had I just felt that it was really my responsibility to be part of the solution and never the problem.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll tell you you made that a very well oiled machine in that diner. When we were working with you, it was a well oiled machine. We had the utmost confidence that we were working with somebody who was truly a pro, who took it very seriously, and we I just want to say how much I appreciated. I know everybody else did too. And if there was some kind of an award for extras, you would be getting the Emmy, you'd be getting this Screen Actors Guild. I mean, you're just wow, really great job. Do you ever get recognized by the way as as tell us tell.
Speaker 2: Us, I wouldn't say I get recognized on the street so much. But when we when I was working with you at the Holidays made here event at Warner brother right with the absolutely wonderful and truly great Gilmore girl fans.
Speaker 1: Oh god, yeah, yeah, they.
Speaker 2: Were recognizing me left and right, and absolutely absolutely was happy, happy, happy to oblige and you know make I mean being there and having stars Hollow recreated in person for them, I'm sure it's so great and seeing someone that they've seen on TV and they wanted to be part of that. That was at that you know there absolutely and if I probably went to a convention maybe, but fortunately, fortunately out in the public on the street, I get to remain anonymous.
Speaker 1: Right, and you're working over there now, right, you're over there at Warner Brothers. Now, No, that was a temporary Oh that was temporary.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, that was just for the event.
Speaker 1: Okay, what about what about this? What about this coming year? You're going to be there again? I don't know, back by popular demand? Come on, man, well I know that.
Speaker 2: I haven't in I know some people on the lot, so I'll be able to get on the lot for free, but to actually work the event, I'm not sure if they want would want me to be there.
Speaker 1: You're too famous. Now that's a problem. Yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly kind of a problem. You know, you're causing riots, little little mini riots all over the place.
Speaker 2: It's almost like you're kind of hired to do a job, you know, so stand over your job, but you're attracting all this attention. Yeah, so, you know, it was it was a weird kind of like I'll do the job, but I'm also trying to be that.
Speaker 1: Well, let me tell you something. You're an asset to any organization. Thank you that is smart enough to hire you. It's been great catching up with you, and I know we'll see you again real soon. Robert Lee, the best extra any production could ever hope for, best in the business right here. All the best to you and the family, and we'll see you real soon. And thanks for downloading. Everybody, best fans on the planet bar none. We saw you five thousand at a time at Holidays Made Here. Get ready for the twenty twenty five, twenty fifth anniversary extravaganza over at Warner Brother Studios Holidays Made Here. Robert, you know it's going to be off the charts. Oh yeah, and it's going to be a real hooton Nanny as they say. Anyway, all the best and remember where you lead, we will follow. Stay safe everyone, everybody and TULUSO again. Follow us on Instagram at I Am All In podcast and email us at Gilmour at iHeartRadio dot com.