Speaker 1: What's up?
Speaker 2: And welcome back to another episode of No Sellings Podcast with your hosts now fuck that with your loaw glasses Malone.
Speaker 3: We don't ask me no money questions.
Speaker 1: Why I can't ask you no money questions?
Speaker 4: Ask them all the questions. Nah fuck that, Ask him all the questions and let him, you know, let him cut.
Speaker 1: It's crazy.
Speaker 2: Is I didn't even have you here to ask you any questions. I was gonna share a conversation with you on game banging, personal politics or no overall, just overall, I don't. I might care about your personal trip. We all got our own personal trip.
Speaker 3: I'm just not trying to my thing right now, my microphone, you know, like right now, Mom is telling me to stay clear of all this internet controversial bullshit.
Speaker 1: No, I don't do that. That's not what I do.
Speaker 2: That's not what no Selings is about, right, No Sillers is like like a like a like a like an exploration in a dark cave of culture all the time. Right, And it ain't like like you see on the internet people like I don't that does no good for me, Like I spend more time getting in trouble for explaining to people how much is like Friday versus boys in the Hood. I mean, how many days it's just kicking it and chilling saga. You grew up in the eighties, you know what it's like, no ladies, and you know what I'm saying, it's the same thing. And I was I always tell Pete this, and every time Pete is on the podcast as somebody else making me think I'm crazy, and I'm like, I don't get what the fuck everybody talking about. You know what I'm saying is like, don't get me wrong, Kiki, Like it was a question asked to me, and this You're the perfect person I had this conversation with. They wanted me to say that violence is a part of game banging culture and I told him it's not.
Speaker 5: Did you hear how.
Speaker 3: That answer was the circle?
Speaker 2: But the circle is even a press, right, It's like even a put on, it ain't quite what everybody make it like it is.
Speaker 3: Nah, But you know what, by the time a put on come on, you've been involved in some shit or depends on who you are, because really a put on most times comes about because niggas don't like you and somebody trying to bring a new nigga.
Speaker 2: In and I said the same thing. I explained that, like when I got put on, I don't have to get put on. I was really already from the seventh right, because I grew up all the hummies is my hoummies, and I'm like, even today, they put me on with Moto recipes, look Jay, and then they put me on.
Speaker 1: They wasn't trying to hurt me.
Speaker 2: To me, it was more or less them trying to show me some punk shit, really being funny, and they wasn't trying to knock my head off because these dudes. I've been knowing these dudes since we was little. But I was trying to explain this to somebody that it's not a part of the culture. Now, Key, I'm not saying it's not a part of the experience, saga. I'm not saying it's not part of the experience, because oh, I'm not saying violence isn't part of the experience of being a gang member growing up, right, That's not what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you it's not a culture.
Speaker 2: There's no part of this thing that says annually you're supposed to get your glass. Key, even even a put on, even a put on is overstated and it's done and properly to certain people.
Speaker 3: Now, yeah, but at the same time, though, who you are in your community is really gonna be based on violence, very rarely is based on popularity. That's money is involved. Then that's a whole other another different thing, which violence still is undertone right there.
Speaker 2: I'm not disagreeing for sure, there's a there's a benefit in being a trooper for your community, right just like no different than a soldier, right if you, if you if it's.
Speaker 3: Bench, but it's it's a blessing in the curse because you can be a savage and you the niggas that they donna kill, they ain't gonna fight.
Speaker 2: So facts facts. So again, it's still a bunch of networking. Now the people who represent here's another question, this is this is a bigger conversation, right this again, this ain't like a personal conversation with Kicky logo and glasses and.
Speaker 1: Saying and Pete and Cauzo like. This is a different conversation.
Speaker 2: This is about me trying to explain to people all our days when I saw you growing up, you know, by the time at this point you've grown man, you know what I mean? You got your you live with you and your lady living on the end. It wasn't a fight every day. It's not a shooting every day. And it's overstated that that don't.
Speaker 1: Mean to me.
Speaker 2: This is what I was saying, Keith, be Cuz, like the moments that it happened become a looming presence on our existence, like today Moto got killed. I remember being a kid when Nut got killed, like and I wasn't even like off the porch like that, but I remember how everybody felt, and those looming presence days loom over your head. But for like for months, I mean, you don't notice it in real time, right like when Moto got killed. I did notice it in real time, but I didn't realize how I was hurt all the way probably until two thousand and eight, and that Nigga got killed in two thousand or ninety nine or ninety eight, you know what I mean. But it was such a traumatic situation that you don't take it like that, so you still live your life and find it some level of joy and just existing, you know what I'm saying. But I really tried to tell them, like I get why even some people that's homies they feel like it's a part. It's like violence, And I'm like, that's not a part of the culture, even even like a discipline, right, like a DP is it Is it violent to whoop your kid? No, but it's but it's violence, But is it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's So it's prison violence.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you ain't gonna get in prison and survived.
Speaker 2: No, no, nose not not not. What's happening sometimes people fighting? I'm saying, is somebody putting you in prison for committing to crime violence even though it hurts you.
Speaker 3: Now, that's not violent, but it's restricting you.
Speaker 6: I think that's finance as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but right, so when so let's have a greater conversation, even greater than that.
Speaker 1: No ceilings. What's haddening?
Speaker 2: Me and my brother Peter in the house, got my old g homy kik loko, my nigga, saga, my brother saga.
Speaker 1: Cousin, cousin, what's your name?
Speaker 2: Chef, bro chef chef like cook fire chef, cousin, chef, cousin chef. So it's important because this Black History Month, we did a conversation about our teenage using the N word last week.
Speaker 1: This time we're doing a game bang. We're gonna do hip hop the following week.
Speaker 2: I need to get your set up in the studio so you could be on the hip hop when I think people would love to hear your opinion on hip hop. And I know people have been reaching out to talk to you about gangs and stuff like that, but that's not what Like I said, again, that's not what I do.
Speaker 1: Like I be really trying to.
Speaker 2: Tell people some of the ways they see how we grow up in this street urban culture. Life is confusing, and like I was last week, was talking to people and I was telling them, like.
Speaker 1: Friday is a game.
Speaker 2: Maker movie, but nobody thought it was because they only think of Ricky getting killed in Boys in the Hood.
Speaker 1: That's game banging, that's it.
Speaker 2: They only think of the violent parts of it as game bang. Like somebody you know getting gain a vengeance for her friend, or somebody going too far over a conflict.
Speaker 1: They only think that as gang banging. But can you know.
Speaker 2: More than me that really you don't seen all kind of Let's even pull our prospective neighborhoods out.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about just other neighborhoods.
Speaker 2: Most of the time, people just building with each other all the time, They just building with each other.
Speaker 1: Right, like you you had a chance to watch.
Speaker 2: Hbone Homeboys, right homes that it ain't a fight every day. It's a bunch of people building and trying to figure stuff out together. Now, I'm not painting it in the positive light. That's not what I'm saying. I'm just saying factually, what's happening. Factually, even when you saw me as a little kid, nobody was kicking my ass every day. Right, I'm trying to figure out life. I'm trying to forry how to make some money. I'm trying to figure out how to not get fucked over by the monas of the carvers. I'm trying to figure out how to go to the pink stow and niggas don't want to kick my ass and give me no respect. I'm trying to build a car. All of these same things are the daily occurrences. Now, there are the moments you know we're being the seventh Street could have got me killed. You have more apart when the largos get there's times, but that's not all the time, even when the conflict with your hommies is not all the time. And I just don't like that people painting like it's this savage thing. All the time I told the story, it was a it's gonna sound hello weird. There was a time where it was a specific gang in Washington had grenades, you know, the gang, and they were selling greenades. And I remember I went to my older hommies. It was like, Man, I'm gonna buy two and we're gonna throw them at these niggas. The look of disgust on them niggas face when I said that, this moon man, you're gonna do. What imagine if I was like, you know, we had our social issues with the carvers, and I was like, y'all finna go poison the water at the pool, you know what I'm saying. Like so when they go swimming the next day, think about how think think about how Plucked would have looked at me? What about the game and told you that? Because So to anybody out there that don't know Key Loko, that'show on the West Side he from a gang roll the thirties, that's where he grew up his whole life.
Speaker 1: That's where he's from.
Speaker 2: But Kiki, as an adult man, he got him and his old lady was together. They had a house and watched so Keiki has known me since I was probably twelve. Imagine glasses at eighteen where it cames like, Yea'm finn to go buy this poison. I'm gonna put it at the pool and Carver. So now when they go swimming in the summer, you feel me, they gonna die.
Speaker 4: They gonna that's work, bro, you know.
Speaker 1: What I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Imagine if I'd be like me, I'm gonna go to the remember they had the little hot links and chicken lynks. I'm gonna go poison to supply meat so that way the meat that that did get disseminated throughout the neighborhood. You would have been looking at me crazy as fuck. You might have punched me in the fucking face. That's how violent it is.
Speaker 3: Not right.
Speaker 1: Violence is a real thing.
Speaker 2: And don't get me wrong, by the simple definition like racism, like me and Pete talk about it. The simple definition of racism right big on me is okay, if you discriminate against somebody, or you think superior or inferior based on somebody based on their.
Speaker 1: Race, means you're racist.
Speaker 2: But we know when we use a turd racist were talking about a much stronger systemic issue that allows you to kind of oppress people.
Speaker 1: Right, we don't mean that basic Western version.
Speaker 2: So like when we say violence, I'm not talking about are there conflicts where you have to fight somebody. There's conflicts where people decide to settle disputes. You know what I mean through through permanent solutions. I mean permanent solutions may be death. I'm saying violence for real, if that makes sense, Peach.
Speaker 7: Real quick question though, just to try to navigate a little bit of that. You started off with a list of things that defined kind of your lifestyle coming up, right, and it didn't involve violence, but you mentioned the looming threat of violence in the first three things that you said, what.
Speaker 1: You mean, Well, so you see what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: No, but I'm saying, but this is because my brain works this way, because I'm like, wait a minute, you talk about when I was talking about poisoning the meat and stuff.
Speaker 7: Before that, like the first like the opening sentence, oh put on and stuff like that before after that, but you were saying, like, you know, going to wherever and not getting jumped by the mona parks or not having to deal with or logos or logos which everyone's over there, and you know you said, like going to the this store or that place or whatever, just to go to do what you know, to get the hamburger, have a good time, or whatever is you're trying to do. But you preceded each of those sentences with or close these sentence with the suggestion of a potential threat of violence, even though that the saying even didn't happen, but it's predicated on them.
Speaker 2: Even those are overstated, right, those are over sales right where we just what he's saying is because I'm saying that that means when I went to Mona Park to play basketball, go swimming, was I always worried about getting jumped? No, I probably never worried about getting jump because by the time I would have got jumped, I knew not to take my andset there.
Speaker 1: When in those moments, those is bad moments. I mean when when.
Speaker 2: You know something happened between somebody from your community and somebody from their community had an issue. Yeah, that might not be the best time to go to the park. That might not be the time. You know what I'm saying that that's probably the wrong time because people gonna affiliate you with the person that you you know that you spend all your time with so. But no, if I'm being honest, there was no real looming presence of me walking to the pig store in the Imperial Courts and randomly people jumping on me.
Speaker 1: It's not impossible, but it wasn't probable, gotcha.
Speaker 5: Let's trying to figure out, like within the spectrum of.
Speaker 3: Not talking on that money what you said, let me add this to that. I heard, I hear what you're saying. He did say that. Let me add to that. Even though he said for him it wasn't necessarily looming, but let me say this, he still knew that it was a possibility. And that's what the stick mind is being put because really, unbeknownst to our parents and anybody this in the gang culture, they're not they're lying. The most times they were, really the most volent times were school, because shit happened to school on the way to school, on the way hall from school that unbeknownst to our parents never knew ever happen in niggas garages and all kinds of crazy ship. That's that's probably how you started affiliating with the community because of stuff like that, and then because you knew when she was in certain ship wouldn't gonna.
Speaker 2: Be Yeah, And and I don't have nothing to do with gangs as much as just the nature of poverty. And what he's saying, Pete, is that's why people end up getting in games. It's because you're just in this poor situation where things people people shout out to the home because I just told me raise his own chickens, be slaughtering deers and ship to eat and all that. Right, But it's the same thing, right, It's like like for some reason and the wild things pray on the week. Like if you got rid of he said, he said, if you got all the grocery stores, Pete, what would what would this America be?
Speaker 5: Like we go back, we would have.
Speaker 1: Two things.
Speaker 6: You're gonna be eat off the land. After that, you're gonna have to eat off the land.
Speaker 4: And if you could do it, you could do it, then you're gonna be surviving and you're gonna be throw here.
Speaker 1: You're about to go crazy.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm saying. Yeah, And it'll be violence. And that's what that's the whole thing.
Speaker 6: It's not about. And it's like separations. It's just the circumstances that create this.
Speaker 1: And that's what I'm saying, is that is the jungle violence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the nature of where they stay.
Speaker 6: That's the nature where they live. Here's the thing. It depends on what we're doing at the time.
Speaker 1: Y'all know.
Speaker 2: I'm y'all because y'all, Mike will come through it one time and I can't separate your vocals.
Speaker 8: People think about it like in the wild, if something is taken like you you may be a mom and you got your ducks or something like that, and all in the pond and the big ass fish come up and smack and eat one of your babies. That's the nature of your life.
Speaker 1: That's not violent. That's not violence.
Speaker 6: That's that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: What I'm saying is when we classifying something, let's are we just it's violent. It's a violent act. And when we're saying violence, so it's violent. Look, this is what I'm saying. Like an eruption, you know, a violent eruption, It just is what it is. It's not that we're trying to pervert it and say this is a bad thing that's what happens in it.
Speaker 6: It's not.
Speaker 4: It's just more like this is just very this is this is an active nature that has a violence to it.
Speaker 6: But that is a degree that we're not.
Speaker 1: Negative loans with the word violence.
Speaker 2: I understand that, and that's important right whereas like we're saying unnatural or unnecessary occurrences right when we say vioce. Now, violence is very simple as just something that. But if racism is simply oh, if you judge somebody either be inferior or you're superior based off race, that's not how we understand true implication of racism. So what I'm saying violent, I'm not saying can something happened action and they cause pain purposely? Is it a necessary action? Is it an unnecessary action? It's a necessary action. Like again, a wolf eating a deer to me, I wouldn't consider that viobing.
Speaker 5: But the occurrence nature outside of humanity are very hard to find it.
Speaker 7: So again the same way as like like humans and dolphins I believe are the only two animals known to science.
Speaker 5: That have sexual intercourse recreationally.
Speaker 7: Similarly, human beings are only very very rare case like if wolves like this happens, when they reintroduce the wolves into the Rockies, they would get into confined areas where there would be livestock, and they would just start killing all the livestock because they just see one and they think of it as opportunity, whereas in reality, the rest of them would be able to run away. They would kill the one they could get and eat it there. But since they can't run away, they just kill the ones. See the next one killed, you know? So then and that's an even because the confine that's unnatural.
Speaker 6: So in.
Speaker 7: The state of nature, there's really no other species that does have superfluous violence in its existence other than us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well what about I was going to say, That's what I was going to say. So, how does you said, a lion killing the deer?
Speaker 6: How would it? How would it kill it? Right? Grabs it by the neck, just chase it down, dive on it, clawed.
Speaker 4: To feel like like either the suffocates I saw the suffocates or leads it out right?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 4: So is this violent for the hyaenas they chase down the ox, grab them by the nuts, take them down and eat them from the back kinds they have to do to get that much meat?
Speaker 6: Is that violent? Though? This is when they could kill it another way?
Speaker 5: They can't kill it another way. And what's the definition of violence?
Speaker 2: Is the question you have to bleed And that's a good point. He brings up a good point. What's the definition of violence? And that's my point to humanity, we're not in nature, they are necessary violent acts or what we.
Speaker 1: Would call violent acts.
Speaker 2: Yes, then I'm separating it key from how we grew up because a lot of people feel like again, like I heard people recently refer to game Bag as a serial killer, and I'm like, a serial killer used to mean more like now they take the definition.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, if you killed six people, give me your serial killer.
Speaker 2: But we wouldn't call the soldier who was in he did six different tours a serial killer.
Speaker 1: So it's a lack of respect.
Speaker 4: On wars, Yeah, like that World Wars.
Speaker 6: It's the same. I mean, you just you're just classifying the same.
Speaker 1: But it matters.
Speaker 2: It matters in prestige, it matters in respect, it matters in society.
Speaker 6: It doesn't matter.
Speaker 8: And the same way you're saying in the same way you're saying, oh, well, is that violent?
Speaker 5: That the hyena grab.
Speaker 9: That that that bore whatever, body balls and what's it cause it is it violent? For me to set in a fucking tree stand where he can't see me, and they're just lollygagging on their day and I'm sitting here with my four fifty and our blasted ass and he drops right there and they didn't even know I was there.
Speaker 8: Say that violent because I'm I'm hunting to eat too.
Speaker 6: No, I get what you're saying.
Speaker 4: You're saying violence in the sense of the bad act is a negative connotation to it. No, you're hunting, You're going to get food. I know exactly. That's why it's all in the same. That's what I'm saying. So when I'm saying violent, I'm not putting the connotation on it, the negative aspect of it, like this is a bad act. I'm just saying what the nature of it is the same, like oh, this is hot, this is cold, like when when when the volcano erupts, It is common to to to classify it or describe it as That's all I'm saying. I'm not saying that. I'm agreeing with y'all on Yeah, it's not a bad act. It's not this negative thing, you know, it's it's so so when you're saying, yeah, it's violence a part of the gang culture. I don't agree with that in that because of what violence is, you know what I'm saying. It's like, it's like, yes, it's aspects of life, but when you come to like the gang culture and in different ways that you know, things can be perverted just on the pursuit of whatever you think you're pursuing. Where that just life, it's an aspect of life. You can look at the dude, the CEO. He not from no gang. He was walking down the street about to go to a conference, and.
Speaker 2: And you see a population of people identifying life right right. You see a population of people identifying with this life based off of what they feel like they deny. Yeah, so again I agree, violence is a perception thing once you get past the killing unnecessary, I think is what violence is. When we talk about killing, like if somebody's finna blow my head off and I shoot them, I just wouldn't relate that to violence as simple like the it's a violent act. I get it, but the connotation that comes with the term violence is different.
Speaker 1: So that's what I was saying.
Speaker 6: I get that. Yeah, I totally agree with that though.
Speaker 2: So it's like, but if you think about it most days, Like right, you only get one put on?
Speaker 1: You only get one put on? Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Like, and if you're in good standings, if you don't be no buster, you stand up for yourself and you don't let people just run you over, that probably be the only time your homies beat you up.
Speaker 1: Right, the homies don't beat you up annually.
Speaker 2: You don't have a foot on celebration on September ninth, kick your ass, that would be time to get up and just.
Speaker 6: Make it look crazy.
Speaker 2: Even even like I said, the DP is it's all of this stuff is supposed to be done with love. I don't quite know what's happening that makes people think I'm crazy.
Speaker 1: I don't get it because it's.
Speaker 2: Like I don't know, like there is don't get me wrong again, Pete. There are some unsavory characters, but I can't imagine even people before that though I would be worried about going. I remember we start going to Victoria Park. So when you grew up in so obviously everybody know my story. My dad mom broke up when I was three. My dad moved to watch with his new wife. My mom stayed in competence, so I experienced both life equal. I would go to a Victoria Park. That's whereverybody from cont to go swimming at because really no crip parks had a pool. Only pool at one park, right, which is looters. I mean, that's that I could think of. There's probably more. I just a Mona, there's a Carver, but that was like far out, so everybody would go to Victoria Park because it was close. I never thought it was no problem about going to Victoria Park until the day Victoria Park, you know what I mean, Like niggas was from the Russians because we wasn't from Carson and they wasn't no game members.
Speaker 6: That's crazy.
Speaker 2: That was just some poor bullshit like the poor kids up here swimming in our pool.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: For real, like you with violence, We got a gun and shit, I got a gun after that, right, I got a gun because after that the seven Old set after the US and seven o's. It's cool now, but back then, them niggas pulled a tech out on us and stuck it out the window.
Speaker 1: I was thirteen.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's wild.
Speaker 2: Work, I mean, and I remember we went back up there. I didn't even want to go back swimming up there until I turned about sixteen. I got a license and I had a gun. Them niggas tried to chase us and beat us up, and we got the popping on them niggas out the window, even at sixteen.
Speaker 1: That's how I go three years later. So I don't, I don't know. Like again, it's like the pursuit of life.
Speaker 6: Right, it's like so violence wouldn't be considered, so you wouldn't.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't even. I wouldn't even. That wasn't even no game maker ship, right. I was just some y'all ain't from around here ship.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: We didn't say we was from some community that they don't get along with, or we just from any community for that.
Speaker 1: But they didn't even hit us up. That's wild. Just get them niggas.
Speaker 6: Just Yeah.
Speaker 4: Now, I remember one time this is we was in the we was all in the Denny's off of Paramount. This is when after a show, and it was like right when it was this new you know, new young.
Speaker 6: Game they had came. It was coming up in the Long Beach and uh they rolled right by. Huh was it two years who?
Speaker 4: No, it was the it was the Uh they hit us up with with the babies.
Speaker 6: Babies.
Speaker 2: They all hit us, they all hit us up when they first they first started. Yeah, and nigga from babies is what about?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Probably probably psych is probably not the first generation baby, you know, is he is he baby? I don't think baby young not babies. Babies might be like thirty five.
Speaker 4: Not that I'm not that I'm not babies. Yeah, baby from babies. No babies, babies, Nah, not like that. Not you gotta trade, you gotta you gotta ask him.
Speaker 3: I'm not.
Speaker 6: I don't even speak on speak for both of them on the story.
Speaker 4: But but as far as that, the story was like we were just chilling and it was just a moment of you know, these people, you know, you're chilling car works, rows by, and it just you know, we just minding our business. And then we just got you know, they got hit us up and we was just looking at it. But the but the response it wasn't like a violent response. It was a you laughed. Actually, it was like these little young niggas out here crazy right right. And then everybody else at the table and everybody went about their business. So it's like when it comes to that violent nature, it's like when the stakes are high, you're going Sometimes it happens, I ain't gonna knock it.
Speaker 6: Some shit happens, like ship should go up.
Speaker 4: But for the most part, it's like stakes are high, and you really it's more of a life situation than it is just niggas is going out trying to be the most monstrous. Yeah, I'm gonna destroy your mom's house. I'm gonna destroy this. Someone destroy that, you.
Speaker 1: Know real quick?
Speaker 2: Manny How a baby started and what like like late nineties, thirty two thousands, it came from babies, right sight is a young.
Speaker 1: Fred?
Speaker 2: Fred is from young too, So babbies is what thirty four oldest?
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe like.
Speaker 6: Two thousand and one two so.
Speaker 1: The oldest baby.
Speaker 2: So the oldest baby's gonna be a nigga about thirty four thirty five and that's.
Speaker 1: The oldest yep.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I ain't think babies.
Speaker 1: Yep, Okay, my nigga, I hit you back.
Speaker 6: Yeah, shout out to psych and shout out the tray shot. So no.
Speaker 2: So it's like, I guess what I've been trying to convey to people is the experience saying what everybody wanted to be. That's not to say I'm saying it's not a traumatic experience, Kiki, like growing up poor. I'm saying it's not what they wanted to be. It's not quite what they make it out to be. And this being a game maker, growing up around game baggers, my whole life, all that is not what they make it to be. And when you start to suggest real violent acts, most people are gonna check you. Right now, I'm sure I had a homeboy and maybe if i'd told crazy because that he'd I'm like, fuck it because he was actually like really like on some shit like that, Like that was one hummy that was on some shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: See, I'm not gonna speak on watching politics, but you know, I know people that's skin about some violence on some crazy shit.
Speaker 2: No, no, it's always a homie like that. But that's not the culture. That's not the culture of a rolling thirty. That's not the culture of a seventh Street. That's not the culture of a West Side eighty or insane the like. We're not taught at this the innate behavior. Now, we're taught that these are the responses to to offenses, right, but we're not taught like, you know what, key, you got to go kill somebody on Thursday, Friday, Saturday something and the person like the movie New Jack City, but they shot that nigga, Mama.
Speaker 1: That's violent. If you shoot a motherfucker that's trying to kill you.
Speaker 2: I get it. Yes, by definition, that is violence. But I'm saying we need to get real with that definition. Like like we're talking about right now with cousin.
Speaker 7: How about this, you know we just discussed a few minutes ago, how like maybe the creation of gangs is predicated on the potential for violence at and to and from school, right, some people sure to a degree, Perhaps maybe a better word than violence That is a pretty gratuitous word. Maybe maybe danger might be a better term.
Speaker 1: Definitelyous elements, Yeah.
Speaker 7: Or is it might not define It's not the action you're participating in and pursuing it every hour of every day. But it is a consciousness and it's an underpinning.
Speaker 6: It's just on the spectrum of danger.
Speaker 2: The possibility of suffering harm or injury? Is that my mind state every day?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 1: But I could be ignorant, So you're probably right.
Speaker 2: Do you think when you was growing up he you felt like you could suffer harm and injury every day?
Speaker 1: That was a possibility. Yeah, so yeah, he probably felt like that.
Speaker 4: I felt like, but I don't even bang and I feel like that, So what does that mean?
Speaker 1: Really? Y'all just felt like y'all was gonna get harmed being where y'all was at.
Speaker 6: Well, I just I don't feel like that. I don't feel like harmed.
Speaker 4: I feel like more so, the world is what it is, so I'm gonna protect myself.
Speaker 6: No, no, not the possibility, you know what I'm saying anywhere? So yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Said not that I'm saying. But I didn't grow.
Speaker 2: I didn't walk down to seven thinking I could suffer harm every day. I just didn't see it that way.
Speaker 3: Well, it's good that was pulled over your eyes, but you was in constant danger every day.
Speaker 6: Damn level. That's real life. That's real life too. I definitely I can.
Speaker 4: I can recall moments fel that way all over all around.
Speaker 2: The moments that's crazy, the moments that I knew. I knew, like when shit happened with nothing and Lorgo, I knew at that point and zone. There was moments that I knew that was lingering. But I just felt I never felt as comfortable as I did being on the seven or being in the forums, like even out here, like I always feel like this is gonna sound weird, Like I feel like there's the same looming presence that I felt in Watch until the thing is, I don't have those moments where it's on with them or them or that, you know what I'm saying. It's just like you know what I mean, it is.
Speaker 1: What it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe this is where that math part come into too, a math part of it all. Did you ever feel a looming presence you never thought nothing will happen to you? Peter in Newport?
Speaker 6: Not much.
Speaker 7: No, there's certain I mean sort of like that scuffle or some nonsense, But no, I mean I don't cruise around with that thought in my mind. Though when I go to other places, I have a different sense of conscious you know, awareness.
Speaker 1: So maybe that's the thing.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's just based off of that, like you just feel like something can and always will, it could happen.
Speaker 1: I feel like that now.
Speaker 6: So do you think you felt so?
Speaker 4: Were you saying like you felt like a sense of protection that's why didnt feel like nothing's gonna happen to you?
Speaker 1: Or do you feel like it was comfortable with Black people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but that's I think that's because you saw the community.
Speaker 6: That's that's what you see.
Speaker 4: You see community, that's true, and then you see what it is and it's like you don't see you see him as aunts and uncles, you see him as cousins, and then you don't really see it exactly. And it's the first time I'm not thinking about it, like I'm about to be in trouble.
Speaker 2: The first time I got jump was at Monta Park. I didn't think it was gonna happen. What is playing basketball? I don't know if I would have went anywhere.
Speaker 1: Somebody else was telling me that that people be so scared to live in the community.
Speaker 6: I wasn't ever scared, though.
Speaker 1: I don't recall that.
Speaker 2: I just don't think I met nobody in my whole life that was like, man, I'm trying to make it out of here.
Speaker 1: I mean, like, don't let me wrong. Everybody want nobody want to be broke.
Speaker 2: But I never heard heard, no homie ever confided me like, man, I need to make it out of here.
Speaker 1: I need to get away from me here. Man, I don't want to be here. I never had that key.
Speaker 4: You mean, nobody wants to make it out of where, like out ofots really like just not really nobody.
Speaker 2: Never I just was telling somebody that, like, I never heard nobody's like I'm trying to make it out the hood.
Speaker 1: The hood was just that.
Speaker 5: More emblematic than geographical and the expression see.
Speaker 2: What you're saying, but I'm saying I never heard nobody do that though, Like I only heard people say they want to make some money.
Speaker 1: I think they wanted nicer things. But I never heard people people say they want to make it out of Michigan.
Speaker 6: Bro, I'm really small. That's what I'm saying. That people are.
Speaker 5: Sure from I mean, but it's not hard to make it out.
Speaker 8: It's just the fact that you just, I mean, some people just want to be around their family for the most part and just don't know how they get away.
Speaker 1: But I'm not from no big place, bro.
Speaker 9: It's just even while I went back, it's because you know, home is always going to be home.
Speaker 4: People want, But do you ever have you run into like people they leave he said.
Speaker 2: What he's saying is different. It is because they're trying to make it out of a small town in a big city.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you feel me that, Like it's you're you're you're gonna want to experience like I said, Shoot, I mean obviously you got grand rapping in the Kalama Zoo.
Speaker 5: I mean, but I'm three hours from Detroit.
Speaker 6: Are you for.
Speaker 5: An hour from the western side of Michigan?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm based at the bottom right around by it. I'm about an hour from western.
Speaker 2: H Did you ever had that thought, Key that you want to make it out? No, I just want to make money, right.
Speaker 3: I just wanted to be able to survive and take care of myself and they stay alive. Because it was a dangerous time, you know, in the age you know, y'all.
Speaker 1: Time definitely is a lot of dangerous than marrows.
Speaker 3: I'm trying. You could have been on the bus stop it's been walking to and pro. You could have been at the mall. You could have been you know, he could have been anywhere. You could have been somebody at your friend house in another whole different community. It's sitting outside with him and some shit happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know about that. So the eighties was different.
Speaker 2: They got some money and people got some different type of guls and people just went crazy. I always think that was more about like people fighting for community and having too much money and now having access. I read this story about some dude that was from the West Side.
Speaker 1: He was a don move and so they robbed him for a pair of rim I think it was Dayton's or something.
Speaker 2: But he was like the first person that went to jail for killing people with a oozy or something. It was like a crazy story though. Did he wasn't off Comfort Boulevard. No, This was in south central Soral.
Speaker 4: Was a shooting off of I used to stayle Cuver. It was a shooting right off of Compton Boulevard. An occasion the liquor store.
Speaker 1: It was a shooting.
Speaker 2: It's like one of the first liquor store. Now is it occasion or that's what the court building now it's past the case Orleander.
Speaker 4: Whatever, it's Condon Boulevard right across the street from that a n p M from that arch Logic Boulevard go the same way. Yeah yeah, but right now it's the cleaners. But it used to be a liquor store. That's right the court, out of court. But it's a couple of blocks, A couple of blocks yeah west, A couple of blocks west.
Speaker 1: So it is Compton, yeah, Leander because bear is where it's not what is I used to have a house.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, yeah, uh that's uh Palmers Yeah yeah, yep.
Speaker 6: So like that was like one of the first movies.
Speaker 7: Like North South Compton Avenue the l a one that ends into Centennial. It doesn't go on the south end of the high school like dead ends into it and that's the end of it.
Speaker 5: But the.
Speaker 1: Right exactly. Yeah, Corton Boulevard east to west. Compton Avenue goes south.
Speaker 5: And north, but it doesn't go south of Centennial.
Speaker 1: No, Compon Avenue don't go through Compton.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it goes too not through it stopped right there.
Speaker 4: Turned into Rodondo. Oh, Compton Avenue turns to Centennial.
Speaker 1: It's Compton Avenue.
Speaker 2: So like like when you come to watch Compton Avenue go the same way, like like like Wilmington.
Speaker 5: Like Central between Wimington and Central.
Speaker 2: Ye north South yeah yeah. So I just I just it's just hard to explain this. And and again, I think the presence of those days are so looming, and the presence of those days are so looming that they're overstated.
Speaker 1: A lot of times. Again, I'm not saying go join the gang or this.
Speaker 2: That third I'm just telling you we're not as horrible in our lives and as miserable as it seems. That's what I think I'll be trying to express more than anything, is everything we go through is not horrible. Like people like there wouldn't be culture if people that make a positive or pride out of it, right, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like you just find the best of the situation.
Speaker 7: And just like on a quasi best related note, like the outs like the way outsider perspective.
Speaker 5: Yeah, of the community.
Speaker 7: If that, if it was as true as they perceived it to be, I'd have been dead twenty years ago.
Speaker 1: Why would you have been dead twenty years ago?
Speaker 5: Look at how.
Speaker 7: Like people perceive like South Central com of that area as being I think they perceive it as being like every day you're gonna be Reginald Denny again. Right, sure, I'm down there too. Like you, you would want to interact with gang bangers. They're gonna you know, rob you, they hate you to all this other shit. I know too many of them personally as my friends. I wouldn't have survived long enough to have a conversation.
Speaker 1: That was the Yeah, that's the Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's just hard trying to convey it because like I'm trying to be more fact based, right sega than perception based.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And but the problem is the violence is when when something does happen because there is violence that happens because there's unnecessary you know, there's unnecessary actions that cause pain and injuries. Yeah, when they happen, you know what I'm saying, They are so traumatic, those experiences loan over your head for a long time and they're dampened two three hundred days for some people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I mean. So like they'll just see it completely different.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's just a part of life.
Speaker 4: Its Yeah, I mean, like I said, I've I've grown up around it and had family members in it in the whole nine Homies, my brothers, you feel me. So it's like like you said, it's like looking at it from that point of view is a whole other aspect of seeing like camaraderie and seeing different aspects of just you know, people coming together on a common and not having malicious hearts. I've seen people have who have malicious hearts who I thought shouldn't have malicious hearts. You're not in no type of gang. As a matter of fact, you're a business owner. You know, you're somebody who should be upstanding showing me the way. And it's like, so I've seen it on both sides. So when it comes down to it, when you just try to label gangs at something negative, it's just a cop out. It's almost just like when you say it's a lazy it's like lazy saying, uh, it's this is West Coast music. It's just as lazy to label a gang. This is what you're You're a gang, You're you're violent, you're this or that, when i'm this is a group of people put under certain circumstances who are gonna respond just like anybody else probably would.
Speaker 1: That's what all.
Speaker 6: So what are we really talking about?
Speaker 4: And at the end of the day, but it's easy to classify it and point the finger and then you know, you can get robbed in the streets, so you can go to a business meeting to get ribbed with a smile on your face. So it's like when you have a different when you have an aspect of seeing, oh it's good and bad, you can kind of break sit down a little better and just be more accountable for what you're doing and what everybody should be doing or what everybody is doing end of the day, because it's not like, oh this you're looking at this one group, you're gonna you're gonna be asked out thinking, oh, they bad because they might be the one group that saved your ass that one time, just because you're going this is a gang member, gang member, naw this this dude right here, Just you catch Kiki on a on a good day, on any day. You catch Kiki on any day, this nigga's gonna save your mom from getting her back snatched.
Speaker 6: So what are we talking about? You feel me?
Speaker 4: And it's like same with you, Like it just is kind of like when you label it. It's easy to do that, but it's lazy to do that.
Speaker 2: And I guess that's that's that was my thought coming into this conversation that it was always like this perception, like the worst thing is being online sometimes and seeing people saying, y'all kill over property that don't belong to you, And I'm like, do y'all really think this is about property?
Speaker 1: Like do y'all think it's about the color of a bandanna?
Speaker 2: Like I get it, they saw the movie Colors, But I'm like, you don't think it would be like more nuanced things happening. What's driving people to be this angry, not just somebody chose a color of a bandanna. They can't help it. They like, yeah, nah, this is what it is. And I'm starting to believe for some people that's inside of it because, like I said, back to the conversation we was having about hip hop, there are a lot of ignorance that's even in people that's playing in the sport. It's a lot of ignorance and people that's in the middle of it. Like you don't have to know. But when you at the forefront of knowing what's happening, it's your job to tell people the truth, even if they fight it. That's what I always tell here. My job is to make sure just like I'm telling y'all, there's no West Coast sound that don't make sense. You know what I'm saying, There is no fucking.
Speaker 4: You gotta expand the perspective and open Yeah. Really, it puts space into the whole. It makes more room in the space for you to see things a little more clear, Like open your eyes a little more so.
Speaker 6: You can understand what's going on a little a lot more.
Speaker 1: And the worst part is you have to inform people that half as a part of the coaching. Yeah, right, now, I can see if I was just talking to Pete.
Speaker 2: Is Pete somebody who's been around, But I could see if I was talking to a stranger that never met anybody from the culture at all. These street are culture lifestyle at all, but it'll be people who half ass grew up around us. People grew up where they just allow other people outside of it to shape their narrative. Don't get me wrong, man, I genuinely believe like my dad and never been riding motorcycles for as long as I can remember, since the sixties and seven. I mean my dad's how long my dad been on the right sixty seven maybe eighties at the latest.
Speaker 1: He been on the bike forever.
Speaker 2: When Sons and Anarchy came out, that made more people in the community want to get bikes. Sure, right, I was asking og Homi, like people had low right here, they was low riding in the eighties, you know, I mean it was some people, he said. But when boys and Hood came out, people in the culture was like, oh, I'm gonna give me one two because they're looking for outside validation, So they really try to validate it to the person that's next to them when it becomes accepted. And that's what I'm saying back to that point where I'm saying with somebody like Birdy talking about making acceptable music when that's not the foundation of what hip hop is. Hip hop just happened to make music that people can relate to. It's not about can people relate to the music. It's actually about telling the story for people you know that didn't have a voice, that most people don't connect with. And then you realize that these group of people you do have some kind of common theme or you respect something about how they survive. Like Pete always say, I don't want to hear about your trauma. I want to hear about your durability. I mean, how much stuff can you go through? I don't want to hear you talking about how bad it was what you went through. I want you to show me how you overcame from what.
Speaker 6: You been did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's real, that's the story they want to hear. That's the story that people want to hear.
Speaker 2: And so that's why I don't That's why I don't get on drill rap like that. People hear drill rap like, oh, I killed thirty people, now people did, versus somebody said, I'm still right here in the middle of all this shit.
Speaker 1: I did everything I had to do. That's how it comes to my ears.
Speaker 2: I don't hear it like I killed thirty people I shot because it's Tuesday.
Speaker 1: I don't hear it.
Speaker 2: I hear it like, man, we beef it with them niggas. I pulled out and I got off on the niggas and I'm still here. And that's why niggas be bragging about surviving. That's also why niggas be high, because they be trying.
Speaker 1: To deal with all the ship.
Speaker 6: Questions. Shadow.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think obviously like one kind of lesser discussed topic and now we have like a multi generational panel, so it kind of clears some of that up.
Speaker 5: It is like how.
Speaker 7: Much of a factor time is and the evolution of culture and landscapes and society over the course of you know, decades. Do you think like it in like in its infancy, there would be a scenario where there's like a turning point where one point, okay, you could put you know, color band Dan out of your pocket or not. Is it more more likely that somebody would be like, oh, he's part of such and such. I could see it from that thing over there. I'm not gonna try to get over on that guy. So there was an advantage of doing it. And then you get to a point beyond that where, like say five ten years later, the landscape's changed. Now you have a band Dana hanging out of your pocket and you're now you're a target. So it went from being a deterrent to being inviting the nineteen seventies hypothetically, or.
Speaker 2: It carries the first thing. Yeah, the first thing stays through. Most people don't want to fuck with other people that's gang man. You're gonna find a very select few people that's just determined to press somebody that's a gang member.
Speaker 7: It have to be obviously at that point, like somebody from over there did something to one of us.
Speaker 5: So we got to find somebody from over.
Speaker 1: And it got to be somebody that's really some shit from over there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, every bad every Das's persson from over there ain't gonna press they learn.
Speaker 6: Sure.
Speaker 2: You know what's funny, pe I went in this podcast, but I want to start doing for the podcast. I want you to ask a question based off everything we talked about. I want you to ask a question to the people who enjoy No Sentner's podcast so they could leave an answer inside the actual comments. So is there a question that you feel like people if you want to ask people questions?
Speaker 1: I know that's a hell of a pop up thing, but that is.
Speaker 5: A pop up thing. I feel like you have a better question on deck than I would have.
Speaker 4: Well, I have a question, after like all of everything that you just heard, Pete this or you Pete, after everything you just heard, what would you what would your like, what would would you have any questions in regards to like the whole violence aspect of it. What would your approach be as of right now? Do you still believe like it's still a violent thing where it's like a kind of like what's your what's your pov on that?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 7: To me personally, like my take is that most of this conversation, in my opinion, centers around a pretty big gray area and conversations that get looser and looser with the language like say, the difference between violence and danger, you know, right, stuff like that? Right, I would say in general speak, I just want to know from the audience they wanted to leave comments or feedback, like what is their perception of danger versus violence like in their own lives and the decision making that they make, whether you decided you wanted to be part of something or if you didn't, and was that a consideration or was it not? Like how has that kind of interacted in your own thought process in your own life?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 2: So, so you want them to say, do you want them to say how they how do they see the difference between violence and danger?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Or if they see a difference between.
Speaker 2: Lead and It's much love and looking out for tuning in to the No Sellers podcast. Please do us a favorite, subscribe, rate, commentist share. This episode was recorded right here on the West coast of the USA. They produced about the Black Effect podcast network and not Hard Radio.
Speaker 6: Yeah,