Speaker 1: From UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn the stuff they don't want you to know. A production of Iheartrading.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome back to the show. My name is Noel.
Speaker 3: Our colleague Matt is on adventures and will be returning soon. Shut out as always to our super producer Paul Mission control decond. Most importantly, you are here. That makes this the stuff they don't want you to know, we're addressing. I think in a larger sense tonight an old question, an old chestnut. Does money make people happy? It's puzzled humanity since the dawna currency. No, you know this well, well, I.
Speaker 2: Mean it's kind of kind of easy answer. And then I think it's like multi pronged where money can afford you the ability to buy things that might potentially make you happy, but they will not solve any existential problems. In fact, it is more likely to create further existential problems if you're not careful and don't keep that I need to have as much as the next guy. Impulse in check a.
Speaker 3: Yes, keeping up with the evil of the Joneses. It's funny because I read a number of years ago an excellent study. There's a ted talk about this as well, about the idea of a threshold of happiness here in the United States. A few years ago. It turns out that exhaustive studies had proven after a certain threshold, money doesn't buy happiness, but until you get to that threshold, money does buy happiness. Some religions call the love of money the root of all evil, not money itself, but as you said, the love of it. And then some obviously some amazing MC's believe an excess of cash creates an excess of problems. Do you like I'm dancing around?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, no, it's I mean, I think was it? Jay Z said more money, more problems? Didn't he say that? Now? He said ninety nine problems? He said more biggie. Maybe it's just a thing that's been floating around the hip hop community for Yeah, it's also a biggie thing. Yeah it's a big but you know, there's some truth to that, because every time you you level up, if you continue down that road, there is sort of like a I don't know, sort of like an always chasing kind of quality, and it's always you know, further things you have to service, and then further amounts of paranoia, and then the idea of like what if everybody's just after me for my money? And what if nobody actually likes me and they're just hanging around, And then before you know it, you're surrounded by people that you exclusively.
Speaker 3: Pay yes inspiration as addiction. That's fascinating. It is an open secret here in the United States and indeed across the planet that people with a lot of money, a lot of financial heft, often end up above justice. At the same time, to your point, these individuals can often end up being targets of insidious conspiracies. And this is what brings us to tonight's episode. A billionaire who one day simply disappeared. Not super widely reported in the West, but we want to give a special shout out to our brother Matt Frederick who suggested this idea. Can you know you're better with these accents than I am? Can you do the name?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: The Danish is definitely its own thing. I do believe it's Karl Eric Bjorkigren. There might be an accent on the keg, but I think it's And there's the umlaud over the oh, which makes it a buk. It really is spelled like the famous Icelandic. You know, it's an incredible singer, songwriter, artist, producer Buurke, but most people say Byork, so I believe it would be Bjorkki grin.
Speaker 3: Yeah, umloud over the oh.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: Well, dug. This guy became a billionaire, a legend in his day. Look upon his works. He mighty and despair until he ghosted. Here are the facts. All right, let's call him Carl, lest we offend with our accents, Noel, can we learn a little bit more about Carl.
Speaker 2: I think he's actually Carl Eric is probably how he would be referred to. And if it is a hyphen it, you know, I'm gonna I'm gonna prefer to him as Carl Eric.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: He was born on October ninth, nineteen twenty in Esluv, Sweden, to Karl Byerkigrin and Judith Janssen Hansen. It's a jay. I think it's a soft h sound for in Swedish, but I think it could be wrong.
Speaker 3: Well, Carl Eric served in the Swedish Army and he did pretty well. He ultimately attained the rank of lieutenant in nineteen forty four, he leaves the military. So World War two is happening. He leaves the military and he goes to school. He pursues a degree in economics at the Gothenburg School of Business, Economics and Law. He's there for quite some time. He graduates in nineteen fifty three. And when he graduates, he becomes a sort of starting level dare I say, infantry level accountant for an engineering company called Sandvik. And this is honestly, this is a real started from the bottom story. Carl eric Of eventually becomes the CFO of the company in nineteen sixty one, and just four years later he becomes the CEO. It's nineteen sixty five by this point, and he continues as the CEO of again this international business, all the way up until he retires in nineteen eighty one. Super financially successful, not the best guy ethically. He gets convicted on some stuff.
Speaker 2: So in nineteen eighty two he is convicted of the all too common financial crime of insider trading. In this case, he was the ultimate inside man with the inside info. He essentially purchased stock in his own company and didn't tell anybody because he you know, he had advanced knowledge, I guess that the company was failing or what like, you're you're allowed to purchase stock in your own company, But it's what's the inside.
Speaker 3: He was moving money in crooked ways if you look at the financial ups and downs of the company, Like he knew when improvements were going to happen, or he knew he knew before the public knew that that the value of the company would increase, and so he's able to buy in he might have I don't know. Insider trading is tricky, right, yeah, because.
Speaker 2: I mean CEOs have stock in their own companies all the time, and in theory, if you're a good CEO, you're you're gonna kind of know when improvements are coming quote unquote. But the improvements that you might think are improvements necessarily always equal. A stock shift is usually something catastrophic or like an acquisition or something. But typically, you know, an insider trading scandal would involve somebody knowing a company was going to tank.
Speaker 3: Right or maybe no, you know, maybe knowing a pandemic is going to occur and you are sleeping with a congress person and insider trading doesn't apply to them anyway.
Speaker 2: It's very interesting. The laws about it are somewhat murky. Yeah, and a boy. Carl Eric also has a rocky personal life. He has five children and four ex wives all told, that's four marriages. All this news it didn't sink him. Quite the opposite. In fact, when he retired in nineteen eighty one, that's when his fortune really took off. Chairman of the board at several companies, huge investor in manufacturing and real estate. He controlled or owned all sorts of things. He was kind of playing monopoly, like you know how a monopoly you go across the board. You buy houses, then you buy hotels. He owned all these hotels. I would say, at a certain level of money, you kind of lose your nationality, you become international or globalist. He had homes in the United Kingdom. He had home that we know about. Really weirdly, he had a nice home in Florida. I didn't know that something that people in Sweden aspired to. Yeah, almost like to the point of that too big to fail kind of situation, like an economy of scale in human form, right. Yeah.
Speaker 3: One of his compounds in Sweden was a mansion. He lived a very extroverted extravagant lifestyle. At his highest, as far as we can tell, his net worth in the late nineteen nineties was around two point five billion kroner Swedish growner, which is over seven hundred million dollars, and he was close to being all told a billionaire at this stage. In the money game, people also to collect art. I thought of you researching parts of this because we talked about Picasso recently in Strange News, and he bought a lot of actual Picasso and he once said, this is a true story. He once said, you buy art with your own money, you make investments with other people's money. Very Bernie made off.
Speaker 2: It is a little bit. And you know, Picasso is one of those kind of crown jewels of any art collection. You got your Picasso, maybe a Warhol or two. He also had Shagall, an artist that is very famous and collectible. One or Joan Miro, a Spanish artist who I was not familiar with until I just was in Barcelona and went to the Joan Miro like institute or whatever. It's kind of in the really high Castileee part of Barcelona. I believe it's called mont Jaique. There's also a Goudy Park that's right up there as well, but really cool sculptor. I would hazard to guess that Tim Burton was really into Joan Miro and his like kind of Beetlejuice esque sort of macabre, weird, freestanding sculptures. He also had, Ben, you'd love this a fountain filled with mercury. Not an actual art installation, but it's it's encased in glass so you can't get splattered or going to breathe in the fumes, but it is actual mercury and was one of the coolest things I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: But shut exactly so I don't think he had that one, but definitely had some pieces by some pretty high dollar collectible artists.
Speaker 2: And that that quote you mentioned Ben is peak ostentatious, Like what's the word I'm looking for, Well, luxury, you know it's that, like, you know, opulence, that's the word.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it. And the issue is fortune has proven ever a fickle mistress. In the late nineteen eighties, the Swedish housing market collapses. Our buddy Carl Eric is over leveraged. He loses everything. Turns out his real estate empire is propped up on loans. He's robbing Peter to pay Paul.
Speaker 2: Hmm, there's that more money, more problems there, it is. He's rearing its ugly head alright, yes, sir, Because once you get to a certain point, if things don't continue to sustain themselves, you've painted yourself into a corner, you know where in order to continue, right, do you have to just keep going up and up and up. It's just like a stock price of a publicly traded company. If you don't show growth year over year, then that like is bad for your brand. That's bad for everything about who you are, what you represent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, my personal net worth, it depends on how I feel it that day, exactly.
Speaker 2: Your net worth is your network? Ben heard that.
Speaker 3: So uh, he had no money to pay off these immediately do loans in the wake of this collapse, and so he does something that is pretty dangerous and litigious in that country. Bankruptcy is kind of more of a big deal in these parts of Europe than it is in the United States, And bankruptcy sucks in the US.
Speaker 2: Why do you think that is?
Speaker 3: It?
Speaker 2: Does? It always occurs to me that like tax money in other countries much more valuably used, I guess for the individual and the system of finance seemed to me to be a little more like benefiting the individual, whereas over here it just seems like it's only benefiting the super rich. And obviously our tax dollars don't really go to much that we can see benefiting us. So I'm wondering why bankruptcy is such a harsher, you know, I guess penalty over.
Speaker 3: There, I would advance to you it's because there is a better rule of law.
Speaker 2: I think that's It's what I guess. That's what I'm describing overall, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I an accountant friend, I would say that a financial enthusiast acquaintance, very well read on US law once told me that after a certain threshold, bankruptcy is jazz in the United States.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's the same with tax loopholes over here. I just don't picture those existing quite as prevalently in other countries. But also it seems like the tax system might already be a little more fair and a little more designed to help out individuals. You know, there's money put away that helped people retire with dignity, whereas, like over here, if you don't have some sort of like gold platinum, you know, healthcare plan through like a corporate entity or what have you. You're going to be scrapping. You know, social Security isn't enough to pay for people's retirement anymore. I mean, it's just anyway, I'm sorry, I'm not to get on a.
Speaker 3: These are these are a political points. These are financial observations that you're making. I would argue. The main thing you need to walk away with from this part of the story, folks, is that the Swedish government after the bankruptcy declaration, seized Carl Eric's art collection and then they also seized a lot of his real estate properties. We're not saying the guy was a knucklehead though. Before he declared bankruptcy, he transferred ownership of some of his most valuable art, along with a little seaside estate, to one of his daughters, and because she owned it, it meant the Swedish government couldn't take it. He also started a secret Swiss bank account, a numbered Swiss bank account, so he was living high on the hog despite being over the equivalent of three hundred and fifty million US in debt and every so often. Oh he also had a butler, which would be weird to anybody who has had to deal with bankruptcy in the United States. He also had a butler. He had two butlers, but his second butler is the guy he hung out with a lot of His first butler was in the shop, so he had to So, yes, you had another butler. Weirdly to the we're pulleyed a lot of sweetish sources here. The translation is something like ground service because he was he was a little it was a little two hands off to do a lot of, uh, you know, around the housework.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you do start describing from some of these sources, like some of the things the butler was responsible for. One of them included the lawn. I just thought that was that. Didn't that seemed outside of the realm of the butler, a little more like the groundkeeper. But it does seem like to your point, and even that term ground does make me think more of groundskeeper. But it sounds like this guy was kind of a Swiss army knife type character. You know, he did a little of everything.
Speaker 3: Is kind of a dog, he's a driver, he was sort of a valet, right, yeah, yeah, yeah, a second, he.
Speaker 2: Get his hands dirty, you know, he cooked meals, he was like, yeah, he would do the housework and then he would apparently go hang out with his kid, which I think is very interesting, this idea of the life of a butler. I always think, like, what do they do when they're not buttling?
Speaker 3: You know, we should also do a ridiculous history episode on the ridiculous history of buttling.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, even the I just want to know more of the origin of the word but to buttle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you also like butt lingon.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, but what how does one buttle? It seems to encompass quite quite a lot of different disciplines.
Speaker 3: I have research on this. There is a prestigious school of but ling, of butlery. It's in the United Kingdom, and it's sort of the feeder school to serve aristocrats, to serve the royal family. All right, I'm getting on attention.
Speaker 2: Did mister Belvedere go to that? I have to know in the in the no, But I mean, you know, the act of service is an art in and of itself, and even like a really really good waiter, there is a certain art to that. So we're not here to mock but butler's or the art of buttling, because it is very much a certain set of skills.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't come for us, big buttle. We also, well, I love that we're establishing this trust relationship. So a lot of times when people have that close familiarity, they build rapport and trust. So it came to pass that with this secret Swiss bank account, every so often Carl Eric and his butler would travel together to Switzerland from Sweden to withdraw money from this numbered bank account, and some times, nol Carl Eric would just send his butler, who has not currently been identified officially due to Swedish law.
Speaker 2: You just send him to do the banking.
Speaker 3: So we know. The first question that we always have, and you'll see as we get into it, is the name of the butler. On June second, nineteen ninety four, Carl Eric disappears vanishes.
Speaker 2: Ben, I have to just go ahead and let it out right now. We were talking over text before we recorded this episode, and with the whole butler ness and sort of foul playness of it all, it's starting to feel like a clue scenario, you know. Yeah, So on June second, nineteen ninety four, Carl did in fact disappear the butler who was on the way back to the house after renting a lawn more like you said. Arrived of the house. Notice Carl had packed a you know, a I guess the overnight bag situation, and laid out an overcoat because it was raining events at the time. At this time, Carl was his itinerary indicator that he was going to fly to Stockholm that afternoon to finalize I guess this would be his fourth divorce with his lawyer and was going to also be in the company of one of his daughters.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and he was gonna meet with these folks in Stockholm. Carl Eric is very much alive. At this time, the butler speaks with Carl Eric, and when the butler later talks with Swedish investigators, he says, you know, guys, seem fine. I made him breakfast, I mowed the law and I told him that I have to go hang out with my daughter. I have to keep an eye on my daughter basically for two hour time window, and I will be back this afternoon to drive you to the airport. And so when the button returns, Carl Eric has vanished his bag they mentioned earlier, and his overcoat. They are still at the house.
Speaker 2: But his passport is no longer there. Now, we can't say for sure whether he clocked the passport the first time around, but a passport, like you know, I keep it in a very specific drawer. I would. It's something that you know, if you're traveling in Europe a lot where during this time, where you would need a passport, even just to you know, go a relatively short distance, that's an important piece of paperwork that your butler would probably know the whereabouts.
Speaker 3: I would, especially if you knew about your secret Swiss bank account.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Probably butler definitely knew where his passport.
Speaker 3: Was, right. It's so uh investigators fight look for these kind of relevant documents. Nothing is missing except for the passport and the person, Carl Eric. As of tonight's recording, Carl Eric has not been seen in any provable way. So our question tonight, what happened?
Speaker 2: We'll get right to that after a quick word from one of our sponsors.
Speaker 3: Here's where it gets crazy. At this point, no one knows, well, I don't want to say, no one knows.
Speaker 2: No one's talking, no one's telling right right.
Speaker 3: Those who do know are not saying, and some of those people who do know may be dead. We should look at the theories. All right, here's what bugs us about this. Initially, Carl's family assumes that he just skipped down like Lord Lucan after that guy killed I'll say it, Lord Lucan killed people and got away with it and vanished. They're assuming Carl Eric's family is assuming that he has just fled his crushing multi million dollar debt. And they waited two weeks before they reported Carl Eric missing. And when they reported the guy missing, everybody in Sweeten knew about this dude. When they reported him missing, the police said, oh, yeah, he ghosted because he is kished by that guy was a dirt.
Speaker 2: Bag kind of money all over town. It's like the big lebag he kidnapped himself. He's like the big Lebowski kind of situation, owed money all over town. Yeah, it is a small community. I mean, you know, he's a high profile figure. And there were various I guess versions of where he might be.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, more than else.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean. He's in a hotel and oman getting a hair cut somewhere in Granada perhaps, no way, shopping in Stockholm for a new born. No wait, it's like a piece, It's like a footstool I'm still getting up under waterfall in Paraguay, you know, with some sort of backpacker type scenario. There we go.
Speaker 3: I like it. That's a verbatim quote from Swedish investigators. Right.
Speaker 2: The Aeguwazu Falls and Paraguay are beautiful actually that time of year, so it's like cooler even than Niagra fall something some do.
Speaker 3: The issue is none of these reports have at this point been substantiated. We also know that no money seems to have been withdrawn from this numbered Swiss bank account since Carl Eric disappeared. Nothing again is missing except for the guy's passport. To public knowledge, he has not contacted anyone in his family since nineteen ninety four. Since the moment in June we describe, nobody saw him leave his house. His car was still there. His safe, however, did show signs of unsuccessful tampering. Someone tried and failed to break in. Interesting, Okay, I wonder what that looks like, the tampering. And perhaps I don't know, like maybe it was drilled into you know, I mean it's scratch marks. Yes, yeah, it's not really It's not easy to break into a safe unless you're you know, you've got the tools and or the skills which you got to have the guy the guy.
Speaker 2: But I would think, you know, it depends. There's the integrity of the safe. I guess maybe he dictates exactly how intense the process is. I think that it is possible to do it just with like the little little stethoscope, you know, where you just listen for the clicks or whatever, and that though, wouldn't leave any evidence of tampering.
Speaker 3: And that that's also true.
Speaker 2: Some safes also have mechanisms that will show you know, someone has has tried to break into them, But in any case, we don't have those details. So these little bits of evidence do lead us to a couple of theories, one of the most popular of which was that he was just flying the coup, as we previously suggested, due to some serious financial pressures.
Speaker 3: Let's just say, yeah, which makes sense. The best evidence for him escaping self disappearing, we could call it, is that missing passport, right. He clearly did not commit pseudo side, which is the fancy word for faking or death. That's very difficult, even I don't know, it's way easier. Back in the mid nineteen nineties.
Speaker 2: So much was histories were a lot more fun back then, you know, because of the lack of the you know, everything being on camera, the degree to which we can you know, track people down. It's just there's no more mystery in the world.
Speaker 3: Yet he couldn't He would not have needed a passport to travel to Stockholm if he left, or if someone wanted it to look as though he voluntarily departed, Why would he leave his bag and coat? We have to keep in mind to your point that the nineteen nineties were a long time ago. It was still possible to travel in front of international legal notices.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: These are the days when you could get in trouble with interpool or something and you would have those intense conversations where you would say, we have two hours to get to the to get to the airport, Yeah, to Xville. And so, with this theory again the primary evidence being that the passport disappeared as well as the person, the speculative thing we could say here is that he could have leveraged various European travel agreements to kind of daisy chain a passage through different countries and then only need to use the passport when you get to the waterfall in Paraguay.
Speaker 2: There you go, yeah, and he would have made a stop off at that Swiss bank in advance of that, you know, which you know, he wouldn't have needed to show a passport for that action, right, and just some account number exactly. But it was really quickly been. We have this notion that the butler could have been sent in his stead, you know, to get money from this account, don't I mean, maybe I'm watching too many like Jason Bourne movies, but typically when you go to withdraw money from these types of accounts, don't you have to like be the person or have like an ID that matches your face or it almost feels like it would have had to have been a special arrangement or something, you know.
Speaker 3: Interesting to my knowledge, at that point in the nineteen nineties, before Switzerland's laws really changed in regards to banking, you just needed the account number.
Speaker 2: That's you know what, Now that you mentioned I'm thinking back on more movies. There certainly are also examples where they just write it down on a piece of paper and handed to somebody and then that's no questions asked kind of situation, which I guess is the feature, not the bug, of these types of accounts, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: And this leads us to our second theory. What if the guy did not disappear himself. What if someone wanted Carl Eric dead. If we're looking at suspects number one with a bullet is the butler, we're still trying to find his name. Turns out this guy kind of a shady character, no offense to anybody else who rents lawnmowers. But in addition to that, he had previously been convicted of frauds and scams in the past. He's also the last person to have provably or allegedly seeing Carl Eric alive, which.
Speaker 2: Is usually the first person that people look at. No one else that we know of so far actually spoke to Carl on June. Second, if he was killed, it's possible that he was killed before or after that disappearance or when this disappearance was reported, and that the butler would have used his daughter the two hour window of going to check on his daughter, which again to me, always seemed a little suss for a butler. I just think of a butler as like being like living or whatever. Maybe this was not unusual, but just to say it out loud, it almost does feel like, see look at my ear's my alibi. Check it out. It's what we don't particularly like about this guy is that he apparently used one of Carl's watches and a painting to settle one of his own debts. Though this is, if I'm not mistaken ben unproven. It's just sort of.
Speaker 3: Hearsaying, yeah, it's a rumor. There are a lot of rumors with this because no one can prove what happened to Carl Eric. We do know to your earlier point, this butler had provably withdrawn money for Carl Eric from that Swiss bank account in the past. Another rumor, locals familiar with the situation say this butler seemed to be living extravagantly after his employer disappeared. However, in defense of the butler, we do have to say there was no money withdrawn from Carl's Swiss account in the two weeks before he was reported missing, even though the butler could make withdrawals. If money was a motive, why not get in front of that and withdraw, withdraw the cash, withdraw the funds while your employer is alive. Keep in mind, this is a secret Swiss account. These are the glory days of financial o Shenanigan's. So Carl Eric could not report a crime if someone emptied his bank account, he could not go to the authorities because he is not supposed to have this money. It should have gone all to his debts, that's right, So.
Speaker 2: That there wouldn't have even it would have been so under the radar that it's not like the authorities could even have monitored the secret account as a as a red flag situation.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, that's the idea that he squirreled away a secret horde of treasure essentially. And if the problem with criminal funds is again that it's like anybody who's been in a local drug deal got wrong. What are you going to call the cops and tell them someone sold you fake weed?
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, exactly. You're telling on yourself at that point, right well, speaking of telling on ourselves, at this point, we've got to tell you about a word from our sponsor, which we're going to do right now, and then come back with some more conspiracies about the disappearance of Carl Eric.
Speaker 3: And we've returned. I wanted to take a moment and tell you what a beautiful segue.
Speaker 2: You know it. It was a reach, but it needed to be done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just like bankruptcy in America for the wealthy.
Speaker 2: Like jazz, you just did it, You just did it. It's like a cosmic gumbo. It does move to the beat of jazz.
Speaker 3: I just free watched that sketch. All right, here's the idea. Another theory. Theory three. The cartel or a cartel, a criminal cartel, killed our buddy Carl Eric, because the rumor has it. God, I'm reminded of the Adel song. The rumor is it?
Speaker 2: I don't think I know that one.
Speaker 3: Wait, no, it's a different rumor, has it? A someone right in? Please help us conspiracydiheartradio dot com. I'm not going to try to sing the melody, but all right, we'll get to it. The idea is that, aside from owing a lot of money to business partners and banks and swindled investors, it seems that Carl Eric had personal loans to the sum of two hundred million kroner. The idea is that he may have had these personal loans to criminal organizations. So one of the going theories is that people showed up to his house while the butler was gone, and they demanded money. They tried to break into a safe. They probably tried to rough them up and they accidentally killed him. And this is based on witness testimony of a guy who has provable ties to a cartel. However, other than that one guy's testimony, there is no corroberating evidence that this is true. The only thing we know that is true is that Carl Eric pissed off a lot of people.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. I mean, like you know, he clearly was overextended. There comes a point where you can no longer get legitimate loans, and therefore you're either dealing with loan shark types, you know, with the higher viig or dealing with illegal you know, drugs or laundering or whatever it might be. And presumably we're talking about like you know, European drug syndicates. And I mean, I don't want to speak for anybody else who's less dim than me, but when I hear cartel, I often think of South American or like you know, Pablo Escobar, that part of the world. But of course a cartel is just a syndicates, a conspiratorial organization that involves the sale of illegal materials, whether it be weapons, guns, what have you.
Speaker 3: People, And of course fine art shout out to freeports, so always, always, that's one of our main things.
Speaker 2: His pieces or any collections now or if they're still kind of being held somewhere privately, it would be interesting to do a little follow up and see because that's exciting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we also know, okay, we also know. An alternate murder theory would be the legitimate business partners. Would you know, at a certain level, at a certain financial threshold, the difference between criminal and legitimate becomes a little muddy. Would you agree with that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, absolutely, I think that's sort of the crux of this whole story in many ways, Like it's just the the the abundance of money past a certain point can just create, you know, kind of an avalanche of complications.
Speaker 3: And this is where we get to one of the fascinating claims. There's a journalist who publishes an article on her blog in August of twenty twenties, so not too long ago. Her name Elizabeth Holgland. She says, years ago, an acquaintance of hers told her the truth about Karl Eric's disappearance. However, she was not able to share that information because it would result in that guy's death. So when she publishes this stuff, in twenty twenty. She essentially argues, the guy is on death's door. He's on the way out like hospice level. He's riddled with Alzheimer's, so she would not be endangering him if she shared his story. And let's imagine this story, Paul, can you throw some helicopter noises in here?
Speaker 2: Perfect. She was told that Carl owed money to former business partners, which I think we made it clear isn't really that much of a surprise, and that they had him. They paid to have him kidnapped on June second and brought by car to Stockholm, Sweden. Once he was there, he was maridered most foul y and then flown by Choppa equipped with pontoon boats for making a water landing over Stockholm's scared. Scared? Is that like a body of water?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay. It's also a fabulous acting dynasty starsgard.
Speaker 3: So according to the story, this helicopter, we're not familiar with helicopters. Let's picture puddle jumping aircraft. Like if you've ever seen the aircraft that can land on the water, These pontoons are generally cylindrical things.
Speaker 2: That will float.
Speaker 3: Airplane nailed it. We didn't even need me to say all that you should like, Yes, floating skis so the according to this story is reported by this journalist, Uh, Carl Eric's body was placed upon one of those pontoons, and when the helicopter reached a certain distance in the water, they maneuvered sideways, so they kind of shrugged and they dropped the body into the water, never to be seen again.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: That's a lot for a legitimate business partner to do. That's more a cartel move.
Speaker 2: I was absolutely no business or or business partners hiring somebody from you know, a criminal enterprise because hid in hand. I think that might be it. And honestly, Ben, I mean this certainly feels a lot more plausible than the butler did it, as much as I love saying that out loud, like perhaps in the drawing room with the candlestick, even it seems like the amount the butler would have been more like the maid stealing the silverware type situation, Like his level of like using this individual for money would have been more I think relegated to that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: Several Swedish investigators call into question the butler's alibi. However, I think it's safe to say were a conviction possible, the butler's name would be published, it would have been convicted. Again, Sweden does have rule.
Speaker 2: Of law, absolutely, yeah, and it seems like whatever they had was flimsy at best, or otherwise we probably would have heard that part conclusively added to the story.
Speaker 3: Also, yeah, this is interesting because we were texting each other a lot about this. Carl Eric was nothing if not a planner, and we've been circling around.
Speaker 2: You don't stack that many ducats unless you're relatively good at planning at the very least.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, planning and prevarication. So if we admit that, even back in the nineteen nineties, most people are trained already to keep their passport on their person such that when you move, your passport moves, it is entirely possible that our buddy Carl Eric planned his own disappearance in advance. It is also, unfortunately, entirely possible that he was kidnapped and murdered. One thing we can say with near certitude he is probably dead at the time of this recording. He would have been as of this year, one hundred and four years old, which is old fruit even in Sweden.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, yeah, where they you know. Oh that SNA really does tend to be good for the skin and the lifespan, but not if you're doing business with bad people.
Speaker 3: He was declared dead official legal purpose, Yeah, officially November eleventh, two thousand and five. At that time, were he's still alive, he would have been eighty five years old, which is possible. His seaside house was sold by a bank at about.
Speaker 2: The art band that he sold the seaside villa. The seaside villa went to his daughter along with the art. I want to know what happened to the art. Maybe she still got it, I mean, certainly, you know, we know that historically art is a great way of holding value in a very relatively small package, much more so than real estate, or you can move it around. No shade on the unnamed daughter here. But if it were me and I saw the walls closing in, yeah, you know, and I want to protect myself, I might just keep one Picasso just as an insurance policy.
Speaker 3: And just what you could have one Picasso as a treat. So here's the deal, folks. Right now, as we record the case of Carl Eric Buyorck Grenn, the disappearance remains unsolved. The one thing we can say with absolute certitude is there was something they don't want you to know. And we would love to hear your thoughts about this right in tell us, especially if you are from Sweden or familiar with this story, familiar maybe with Denol's earlier point some of the art. Where did that end up? That might be a good lead.
Speaker 2: The funny thing is, but I googled this guy's name, and like you, I like to look. I'm a visual learner. I like to watch documentaries and try to find thing on YouTube, and there was nothing in English language about this case at all on YouTube. I did find a podcast episode of a show called Mysterious Circumstances that I wasn't thus far familiar with, but there's a pretty decent little kind of episode about the disappearance of Carl Eric bjorka grin.
Speaker 3: But yeah, precious a little out there about it. And thus we pass the torch to you. Be it yours to hold it high if ye break faith with those who die. Oh gosh, I'm not going to quote any more World War poetry.
Speaker 2: You may all out, oh not to me, but you know it's.
Speaker 3: Called flanders Field. It's a really good pull up anyway, find us online, tell us your thoughts.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. You can find us in the handle conspiracy Stuff, where we exist on Facebook, where we have our Facebook group Here's where it gets crazy, on XK, Twitter and on YouTube, where we have video content rolling at you on the regular, on Instagram and TikTok. However, we are Conspiracy Stuff show.
Speaker 3: Hey, also, Noel, Are the rumors true? What if someone wants to call us on a telephonic device.
Speaker 2: I'm afraid you're out of luck. We don't have a recourse for that. I'm just joking. You know that's not true. You can, in fact reach us at one eight three three std WYTK. You got three minutes, leave yourself a voicemail, give yourself a clever nickname, let us know what to call you on the show, and if it's okay for us to play your comment on the air, and you never know, you might hear it on one of our weekly listener mail episodes. In Flanders Fields, the poppies blow between the crosses row on row that mark our police, and in the sky the larks still bravely singing fly Scarce herd amid the guns below. We are the dead short days ago we lived, felt down, saw sunset glow, loved and were loved. And now we lie in Flanders fields. Take up our quarrel with the foe to you. From failing hands. We throw the torch be yours to hold it high. If ye break faith with us who die, we shall not sleep though poppies grow in Flanders fields. All you have to do is send us a good old fashioned email where.
Speaker 4: We are conspiracy at iHeart Radio.
Speaker 2: Stuff they Don't want you to know is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows