Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to another episode of Snake's Territory, part of the Foul Territory Network. Be sure to like this video, subscribe to our YouTube channel, maybe leave us a five star review wherever you get your podcast. I am Jesse Friedman alongside Jack Summers and Jack A couple hours into the Diamondbacks Sunday finale against the Reds, the vibes were not high. Reds put three runs on Mitch Bratt. D Backs looking to be on the verge of maybe a series loss. That would have felt really rough on a number of different levels. But the Diamondbacks come back. They score one run in the sixth, four and the seventh. It's a five to three win and really big on a lot of different fronts. Jack, and also the Diamondbacks thirty ninth comeback win this season. That is second in all of baseball.
Speaker 2: Come back today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, technically, yes, the Cubs now have forty, but I feel like it shouldn't count because they were down to nothing and they won nineteen to two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well then that would constitute a comeback win, but not of the same milk as what happened with the Dbacks today. And your words of you know this team is never as good as you think it is, and it's never as bad as you think it is. Just keeps ringing in my head. I was thinking about that all afternoon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is kind of the theme of the season. Just when you're sort of ready to count this Diamondbacks team out, they go out and they do something like they did late in this game, And just when you're starting to feel confident, more guys start getting hurt and the Padres and Phillies keep winning. And we'll get into some of the injury stuff a little bit later, but it was a really, really big win.
Speaker 3: Jack.
Speaker 1: It's hard to describe how brutal a series lost to the Cincinnati Reds would have felt that this weekend. Diamondbacks come through. In the seventh inning, they were down three to one. They got three guys to reach base to start that inning, James McCann takes a walk with the first two guys on, and later in that frame, Ildemar Vargas delivered what felt like one of the more important hits for the Diamondbacks this season, a two run triple. It flipped a three to two deficit into a four to three lead, and the Diamondbacks led the rest of the way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even like the inning before that though, you know, it was Corbyn Carroll really that kind of lit the fire again. You know, hit his sixteenth triple of the season. He's really going after that twenty twenty twenty twenty thing, you know, twenty stolen bases, homers, triples and what's the fourth.
Speaker 3: One, doubles.
Speaker 1: I think it's doubles, which feels silly because twenty doubles is not like a huge accomplishment, but it sounds better when you say twenty twenty twenty twenty. So yeah, he very much has a shot at that for sure.
Speaker 2: So you know, he scored on Gabby's sacrifice fly and you know, which was a kind of interesting play. But in the end of the day, like that really is like, okay, it's a three to one ball game, you know, and you still got a chance here. Now wait, wait a minute, we were flat, we were dead. This game's over, the season's over because we lost the seriesly the Reds and then all of a sudden, like you know, with I even jokingly posted the old Undertaker meme of him sitting up upright suddenly off the mat, you know, and it just really felt like that like, Okay, they could come back here. I had a sense of that when Corbin did that. So that preceded that seventh inning comeback winning rally. But it was kickstarted by Corbyn, I think. And the bullpen, of course. I mean, you know, the bullpen. We're going to talk about Mitch Bratt, but the bullpen was fabulous today. I mean, they give him six scoreless innings, kept that game right where it was and gave them a chance. And so like the real heroes, the real goats of this were the bullpen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 1: The Diamondbacks bullpen has on the whole been an asset for them this season. It continues to be one of the most baffling things about the twenty twenty six Arizona Diamondbacks is their bullpen. I think pretty clearly has helped them win more games than it has lost for them, and it's just been enormous this season. Harado Correo the first man out of the bullpen in this one. He gives up a ground row double, comes back and strikes out three straight reds hitters in pretty dominant fashion. I know he did issue a couple of walks in the next inning, and that's been a trend with Herado Correo, but hey, he was I think he arrived at seven am this morning, he said after the game, and it was just be ready sort of situation, and he was ready. The Diamondbacks needed him, and it's good to see him back in the big leagues.
Speaker 3: Jack.
Speaker 1: I know the circumstance are not necessarily ideal. We'll get into those a little bit later. But Coreo was really effective for this team when he was up in the big leagues earlier, and he kind of set the tone for the Diamondbacks bullpen in this one.
Speaker 2: I'm going to sell you out here a little bit, Jesse, and I just want everybody to know that he does get emotional sometimes over certain things, not as much as I do usually, but I think the career send out was a tough one for you to swallow on a lot of levels. And behind the scenes, I got to see a little bit of a Jesse that you guys don't usually see. He did not like that move. So seeing him come back and pitch, well, I'm sure that made you very very happy today, my friend.
Speaker 1: It just yeah, I continue to say that the guy at a zero point six six era and usually you don't get sent down when those are your numbers, especially when the underlying stuff, you know, just from a rass stuff standpoint, is what it is with Careo, his stuff is maybe as electric as just about any Diamondbacks reliever. So anyway, Herado Coreo is back. Taylor Clark followed that up with an inning and a third clean there. He was very efficiental he needed ten pitches to get those four outs. And then it was Jonathan Mawiseiga in the seventh inning, Juan Mario in the eighth, Brandon Garcia in the ninth inning. I guess the one note there is Garcia allowed a bass hit with two outs in that frame.
Speaker 3: He looked sharp.
Speaker 1: He was throwing ninety nine miles an hour, kind of just a chopper single up the first baseline that got through, and Tory was very aggressive in that spot. He had Kevin Ginkle ready to go for Dane Meyers, who's a right handed hitter, doesn't really have much pop at all against righty's much better numbers against lefties this season, and even as good as Brandon Garcia has been this year, Tory pulled him in that spot. Kevin Ginkle came in, Ginko got a ground ball. Unfortunately, Yodamar Vargus not able to make the play game glass to face another batter, and it took a while, but eventually he wore down Tyler Stevenson and got the final out. I thought it was an interesting managerial.
Speaker 3: Move, though, Jack.
Speaker 1: I was surprised at how aggressive Tory was in that spot, and frankly, in the moment, I was a little puzzled by it. I think personally I would have just rolled with Brandon Garcia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was fine with it. You know, they showed him a little bit earlier, starting to warm up, get loose slowly in the bullpen, and I was like, okay, that's interesting, you know. So clearly I had a little bit of time to kind of wrap my brain around what Tory was thinking there. And then I'm looking at the lineup and I thought, okay, well, if anybody gets on bass, he's definitely not going to pitch to Myers. He's going to bring him in. So, you know, you look at Myers' track record, I mean it's quite a bit worse against right hand to pitching. And also, let's be honest, I mean, as good as Brandon Garcia is and as nasty as as stuff is, he has had some command issues lately, and so you know, instead of pushing him to go to the fifth batter and deal with that, you know, he brought in a fresh Ginkle and it worked. So look, we're all being results oriented. But at the time, I mean, you know, I was texting with you, and I was texting with our good friend Jeff Irving, who hopefully is listening today, and you know, back and forth with a few different people, and I was and also of course our guy Alex Deegostino. So I had like multiple text threads going and everyone's like, what is he doing? What was he doing? And I was telling everybody. I was like, I'm okay with this, I really am. So you know, for me, it's fine.
Speaker 1: I know Ginkle is before the fact, yeah right, fair enough, fair enough. Yeah, Ginkle has looked pretty good as last couple of times out. He's had a rough month of August on the whole, so I think, you know, maybe I was sort of thinking through some of those moments, and you'd hate to have a game where Gang just has an off day. He's forced to face the minimum three batters even with two outs in the game.
Speaker 3: But all is well. That ends well.
Speaker 1: D Backs were likely to win this game no matter what Toy did in that spot. Just felt like an interesting aggressive decision on his part in that moment. But yeah, offensively, Diamondbacks able to push across enough even though things were pretty lean throughout most of this game. Ildemar Vargas. I mentioned the defensive MISSQ and the ninth inning, but that was really a footnote in what was by and large, a really good game for him. Jack two for four, two runs batted in, He had a double and triple in this one, and he just continues to be a god send for this team. He can play all over the place. Despite the MISQ and the ninth He's been great defensively at a variety of different positions, and I feel like we have to continue to sing the praises of Ildemar of Vargas because I don't know where this team would be without him. The number of gaps that he has managed to fill and his ability to transition from billing, you know, a first base gap, to a second base gap, to just moving around the diamond in the way that he does it has been invaluable for this team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I of course, you know, I had another anti moment where I commented on Twitter that, you know, after hitting those two home runs in Atlanta had gone on to go two for twenty one, and then then his next at bat he doubled, and then two at bats later he tripled in for the game winning hit. So you're welcome, folks. I'll take credit for that.
Speaker 3: That's how that works for sure.
Speaker 1: A good game from from Vargas, good game from Corbyn Carroll, as you referenced earlier, a double and triple in this one. I guess we should talk about Mitch Bratt at least a little bit here, Jack.
Speaker 2: While while we're on offense, I just still want to bring up Tim Tala. Two more hits, two hits run scored. I mean, you know, what can we say, Tim Tala just hits?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I know that he's been pretty streaky. It feels like he'll string together a few really great games and then things can be a little rough for him for a few days after that. But his OPS is now up over seven hundred on the season. The defensive versatility is very much there with him as well. He's done a good job at first base, so yeah, he continues to help this Diamondbacks offense stay afloat. On the pitching side, Mitch Bratt was not great for the Diamondbacks in this one. Just three innings, five hits, three runs, three walks, three strikeouts. The walks are well documented, Jack, his command just seems to kind of fall off at times, and sometimes it's several walks happening in a short period of time, and we saw that again in this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I mean he had what twenty seven pitches I think in the first inning, and then he had an eight pitch second inning, and those pitches were all pretty competitive, but it's the bottom of the order and then he just got whacked. I mean, you know, double single, double strikeout, base hit, you know, to give up the three runs there. He ended up, you know, struggling to finish up the third inning with another walk, so you know, he walked three in all. I don't know, I don't know what's going on there. I mean, I think Jeff Brantley said something on the broadcast, which really, you know, everyone talks about mechanics, but Brantley said, every single pitch he's throwing looks like max effort, and that really rang true. You know, sometimes when somebody articulates something that you're seeing with your eyes, but you not sure what you're seeing. And when he said that, it's like ding, That's what it is. I mean, here's the guy that throws, you know, eighty nine to ninety ninety one on a good day. Looks like he's trying to, you know, max effort every pitch to try to be able to compete at this level. And you know, I mean it's hard to blame him. It can't really survive in Major League Baseball with the eighty nine mile an hour fastball these days. So you know, he's trying to hump it up to ninety one ninety two consistently, and that's what he's doing. He's overthrowing. It's not the purouette that's causing It's not the purouette that's causing him to miss his target because that happens after the pitch. It's the max effort.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's a that's an insightful point. Definitely tracks with what we've seen from Bratt this season on the whole. It's a four or five four e er. I think you can you can still stomach that. I mean, he's he's been at least viable for the Diamondbacks, but there are you know, this is back to back outings of only going three innings, So if if that trend can killers, Yeah, if that continues, then I guess the word viable is not really fitting there anymore.
Speaker 3: I know he had a couple of.
Speaker 1: Other really good starts earlier this month, but the Dbacs could really use some more consistency, especially with some of the injury news that we're going to get into later in the show. Before we do that, the first couple games of the series, Jack, let's hit on those real quick Friday not competitive Diamondbacks get out in front in the first inning, Gabby Moreno hits an RBI single, They tack on several more runs in the front few frames there. Eduardo Rodriguez goes out there five and two thirds innings, no runs allowed, on a day where he still didn't have his best stuff, and he just continues to impress. It was a great day for Jordan Lawler in particular. That was good to see after a rough showing in Boston. That was one of the more complete wins this team has had this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you look at that, you say, Okay, nine to nothing. Look at the way they played, you kind of hopeful, Oh, we got Soroka going the next day. You know, there's a chance that they could sweep this series. And you know, it sure felt like that after Friday night. Unfortunately, Saturday night happened, and Saturday night happened with a short outing from Michael Soroka, you know where he left the game after just three and thirds innings. He gave up, ended up, giving up six earned runs, left a couple of inherited runners out there that both came in to score, and you know, just did not have any Really, he wasn't sharp. He just wasn't didn't have his command, didn't have his stuff. We later found out why, but that was really disappointing in the moment. The team did try to come back, but they weren't able to. Torri went to Zach Lttel in that game with you know, two on him and one out in the fourth inning, and a lot of people criticize that move, I think, you know, especially because of the results, because Hotel immediately gave up a hit, he walked a couple of batters, you know, and by the time that inning was over it was six to nothing. But I want to point something out. Already down four to nothing in with one out in the fourth and runners two runners on the Diamondbacks win percentage was already down to eleven percent. Yes, technically it's a winnable game, and a lot of people will shout that at me, But that game you're not gonna win more than one out of every ten times. And so to argue that Tori should be using a high leverage reliever to you know, in the fourth inning of a game you're losing four nothing with two runners on base and only one out, it's just not a good argument. It's not how teams and bullpens are managed. Sorry, yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Agree with that.
Speaker 1: I think in the moment it was easy to criticize and be like, oh, you know, you're waving the white flag or whatever you.
Speaker 3: Want to say.
Speaker 1: But you know, Zach Lytel entering that game, it had one really good outing with the Dvacs and one really bad outing with the Dbacs. So you know, maybe it comes in and does what he did in his first outing with the diamond against Colorado, maybe dials up a double play and is able to keep them in the game for a while. So unfortunately it was it was not that type of day for Zach Lateel. He ultimately is designated for assignment, and we'll dive into some of the roster news a little bit more later in the show, but before we get into all of that stuff, we are going to talk a little bit of katel Marte. There's been some more news here in the past few days. The Diamondbacks also had their meeting with katel Marte since our last episode. That happened on Thursday, so we'll give some updates there, and then we'll circle around to Lttel Soroka, the latest on Corbyn Burns, a lot of other interesting roster and injury updates, so don't go anywhere. We'll be back right after this here on Snake's territory.
Speaker 4: One of the things that I wasn't very good at, well, it's playing Major League Baseball. One of the things that I'm really good at is sweating. Even now when I'm not playing, I need hydro. I need to make sure it's convenient.
Speaker 2: That's why I choose Quins.
Speaker 5: Yep Quints electrolyade stick packs to the rescue krats. They taste great and the zero sugar options are Stevia free. They're Keto approved, naturally sweetened with fermented rice, and like everything Quince does, they're thoughtfully made and priced well. At twenty dollars for thirty servings, they're less than half of the leading brand. Give your body what it really needs to stay hydrated. Go to quints dot com slash foul for free shipping on your order and three sixty five day returns. That's qui Ncee dot com slash foul for free shipping and three sixty five day returns quins dot com slash foul. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Speaker 1: We are back here on Snakes Territory. We really appreciate all of you being here with us. If you haven't already, be sure to drop alike on this video on YouTube while you're at it, subscribe to our channel, hit the bell icon for notifications so you never miss an episode of the show, and if you're joining us on Apple Podcasts or Spotify. We say this a lot around here, but we really would appreciate it if you would leave us a five star review. It's a really great way to support the show. And if you want a cool hat or shirt like those that Jack is sporting today, you can find those over on Sneak's territoryshop dot com. We also really appreciate you supporting the show in that way well, Jack Cotel Marte continues to be a storyline with this Diamondbacks team since our last episode. The d BACS had a three hour meeting with Katel Marte on Thursday, talking about the details of his disappearance in Boston earlier in the week. Marte was also, as I'm sure everyone is heard by now, he's been placed on the ten day injured list with knee inflammation. That continues to be a storyline. Will be monitoring as he tries to work his way back. Seems like it might not be too too long for Katel. But the big storyline Jack on Friday was that Katel Marte was seen at a casino out by Salt River Fields and this happened during the Diamondbacks Friday night game. I don't think you or I thought this was as much of a story as it was, but we should hit it nonetheless, Jack, what did you think?
Speaker 2: Well, I just kind of want to roll back a little bit. First on the injury part. You know, because I was in a room with Tory on Friday, I'm sure many people saw the snippets here and air the videos, and I did write an article if you happen to catch my article about it. But the key point that I want to bring up is that Tory indicated that Kattell's biggest issue, at least with the team was the handling of the injury and a communication around the knee injury, and that's what his frustration revolved around, according to Tory. Now we haven't heard from Catel yet, but that's how Tory characterized it. At the same time, he expressed his own feelings of frustration and he used the word betrayal. He felt very betrayed by the whole situation, so that was a very strong word, all while at the same time refusing to say specifically what was said during the meeting, but obviously he got some things off his chest. He said that he did say that Kutell acknowledged where he was in the wrong as well in this situation. So that's kind of the gist of it. If you want to see my article on it, there is one if you date back a few days now with regards to the casino thing. Look, I was surprised by it. My initial reaction was probably the same as ninety five percent of people, like, oh, could tell, what are you doing? Man? But the reality is this, and a lot of people really aren't clear on this. Very few players are hanging around the clubhouse or the team while they're on the injured list. They'll come in and out from time to time, as will come in, they'll show up. Sometimes a pictro will come in to do a bullpen session at Chase Field, but for the most part, they go to Salt Riverfield in the morning, they work out, they get their work in there, and you don't even see them at Chase Field. We go. I mean, maybe they come in and out when we're not around, but they're just not around very much. That's normal. That's the normal thing. Now in this situation where they're trying to calm everything down, the last thing that they needed actually was could tell in that clubhouse or sitting in that dugout while on the injured list on Friday night. That would not have been what they needed or wanted. However, I'm sure nobody also wanted to see him out at night at the casino. It's just the quote unquote bad look. It didn't look great. But as Tory said, he didn't break any rules. He wasn't doing anything wrong. His free time is his time. He could go to a movie, he could go to a concert. He chose to spend his time at the casino his wife, and you know, it's it's not a great look. It's probably would have been smarter and better for him to just stay home that night instead of go out that night. But that's what he chose to do. As Toy said, he's a grown man. But that's not the reason to be upset. We could tell if you're upset, we could tell it should be because he didn't show up on Monday in Boston. Period, that was the issue.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I totally agree there.
Speaker 1: I think if you, if you buy into could tell Marte having a knee injury that has put him on the injured list, then there's nothing wrong with him doing this in that sense.
Speaker 3: Is it a bad look?
Speaker 1: You could make a case for that and I probably wouldn't disagree with you. This is what Tory Lavello said the day after the incident. He didn't say a whole lot about it the night of, but the next day he said the optics weren't very good. It's not a choice I would make. I'm sure it's a choice a lot of people in this room wouldn't make. Couldtell is a grown man and he can make his own decisions. He did not break any rules. He was fully able to go there and do what he wanted to do. Like I said, he makes his own decisions when he's here in the clubhouse. We work together on a lot of things, not just him, all the players. They have their own lives and they can do whatever they want in their free time. So not a great look, But yeah, Cautel Marte did not break any rules by doing that, And I think there's still bigger questions to answer about exactly what happened earlier in the week. I think that's where the focus really should be, as well as him working his way back from this knee injury and hopefully making an impact on this Diamondbacks roster before too long? Do you have anything else to add on the Katel thing, Jack, before we move on to some other stuff.
Speaker 2: I would rather just talk about baseball. Look, I know everybody wants to know what I think, well, obviously, what I think is it really sucked that he didn't go to the ballpark Monday, and I think that the communication around that was bad. I'm happy that he didn't have some kind of crisis issue that would endanger his life or anybody of his family, and then whatever else it is has to be worked out. How he's gonna walk back into that clubhouse and you know, talk to his teammates and smooth things over, and you know how he's going to respond when he gets booed his first at bat, because I think there's going to be more boos and cheers, and you know what the pressure is going to be like on him, how he plays when he comes back. This isn't going away. We're gonna have to deal with this. So enough for today. I don't want to talk about it anymore today.
Speaker 1: That is very fair, And with that we will move on to some roster news that we got before Sunday's game. Around eleven am, the Diamondbacks announced that Dre Jamison had been reinstated from the fifteen day injured list. They designated Zach Ltel for assignment, as I mentioned earlier, and then shortly before game time just about twenty minutes or so before first pitch, the DBACS recalled Harado Correo from Triple A Reno again. He arrived around seven am this morning, and then they put Michael Soroka on the fifteen day injured list with right arm inflammation. Sounds like Soroka did not report any issues after his start on Saturday night, but this issue popped up today and the Diamondbacks wind up putting him right back on the injured list. Of course, he was only able to make a few starts in between there. Yeah, it's just kind of been the story of Michael Soroka's career. Jack durability has been a challenge for him. Unfortunately, that's been the case this year. The silver lining here is it sounds like he's by no means done for the season. It sounds like he could be back before too long, maybe around the minimum fifteen day stay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well Toy said that, but don't believe it. It's just that simple. He says that on half the injuries, and it never It's never true that Dback seven had one player this year come back at the minute him stay on the il, not one and yet on the lea. You know, some of them he'll say, oh, this is going to be weeks, not days, But on many of them, I'm hopeful that it'll be yeah, well whatever, you know, I'll believe it when I see it.
Speaker 1: Yes, he doesn't really have anything to lose by saying that to the media, right. I'm hopeful it'll be as short as possible. I'm hopeful it'll be, you know, right after the minimum stay or whatever. This is from our good friend Alex Weiner. After the game today, Tory Lavello said about Soroka, He's going to hopefully be ready on day sixteen. The plan is to get him a couple of days down, get him back on the bump, and miss as few days as possible. You mentioned earlier Soroka was clearly not at his best in that game on Saturday, and I guess this inflammation helps explain that maybe a little odd that Zach Lateel was designated for assignments pretty much at the exact same time. We talked just a few days ago about how Latel had a shot to step into the rotain if the d BACS had a need. But you know, after he did what he did on Saturday, you're looking at an era over seven in his three games with a Diamondbacks. So I don't know how they're going to fill this rotation spot. But it's hard to make a case that, like Zach Lttel was an awesome candidate for.
Speaker 2: That stealing a line from one of our listeners in a very good friend of mine to Ltel too late.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's unfortunately it was not a great stay in Arizona for Zach Ltel. There was some good vibes with his first game against Colorado, but yeah, I think there's no reason for us to be like really surprised by this. I mean, this is a guy who was designated for assignment by the Washington Nationals earlier in the season, a team but has a real pitching problems this season. So it's unfortunate that latel didn't work out because the Diamondbacks absolutely could have used some more length in the bullpen. His ability to step back into the rotation, and now without Lattel in the picture, without Soroka for the time being, lining up a rotation for this upcoming week is going to be quite difficult for this Diamondbacks team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know, in this case, this picture isn't very pitching very well this year at all, and probably just doesn't have it anymore, and so good that they cut bait quickly. But yes, they are desperate now for pitching and they're really up against it. This coming week.
Speaker 1: We'll dive a little bit more into that later in the show. We're going to try to like fit the pieces together and figure out what on earth the Diamondbacks are going to do on Saturday when they have a doubleheader against the San Francisco Giants. Not a great scheduling situation there. The corresponding moves, As I think I mentioned, Harado Correo is back up. He looked good today in his outing on Sunday. Dre Jamison was expected to pitch in Reno on Sunday, but because of these circumstance as the Dbacks bumped him up and brought him back to the major So Dre Jamison back from the injured list, and you look pretty good at times earlier in the season. We know he can give the Diamondbacks more than three outs, which has a lot of value for a team that doesn't have a whole lot of length right now in the starting rotation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean right now, at least they have two guys that they feel like they can go multiple innings in Jamison and Correo. So now Correo's only been pitching like every four days, so I don't expect to see him, you know, before Wednesday or Thursday, you know, this coming week, probably Thursday, so you know, Jamis is probably gonna have to do some work this week in the CUB series.
Speaker 1: Well, Corbyn Burns is like coming back soon. Question Mark Tory Leavello gave kind of a surprising update there. We have some updates on some other injured players as well, so don't go anywhere. We'll be back on snakes to right after this. Well, if you've been watching or listening to Snake's Territory for a while, hopefully you know that Sea Geek is the place to go for all of your baseball ticketing needs. With over thirty five million downloads, see geek is the number one rated ticketing app and there are more than seventy thousand events listed on the app, including concert, sports, festivals, and more. It is not just for baseball, although it is very good for that as well.
Speaker 3: They have this lovely.
Speaker 1: Rating system where you can see, on a scale of one to ten, just how good of a deal you are getting. And you know how much Jack and I love numbers, and you know comparing people players together, comparing in this case seats to one another, and how good of a deal you are getting. So sea Geek is really an ideal fit for people like us. Plus, every ticket is backed with their buyer guarantee. And of course we have a pro code for you to use. You can use code at Territory ten for ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at se Geek. That's ten percent off any MLB tickets with promo code Territory ten. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so that you can use it later.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: See geek, just a quick word for me, the more bang for you buck using that ten percent on a game. Look, the Cubs games are going to be a little bit more expensive, but you know, so you use the ten percent actually on the higher priced games, you're saving more money. And also the dbacs could really use some support because you know, the cub fans are going to be out in force. So if you haven't yet, pop on sea Geek, use that promo and get yourself out there for the CUB Series. There you go.
Speaker 1: Will be a big one the next few days out at Chase Field, and of course I'm sure there will be a decent number of Cubs fans in the stands as well. I don't think Corbyn Burns is going to pitch in the CUB Series, Jack, but he might pitch for the Diamondbacks relatively soon. Tory Lavello told reporters that Burns through twenty pitches on Friday, facing live hitters for the first time. He is set to go two innings and thirty five pitches at Salt River Fields on Tuesday, and Tory has said the plan is for him to just go every five or six days thereafter, adding an inning and around twelve pitches every time.
Speaker 3: Normally, when we see.
Speaker 1: Starting pitchers go through this, you want them built up to at least like five innings seventy five pitches or so before they would.
Speaker 3: Come back to the majors.
Speaker 1: With Corbyn Burns, though, Jack, it does not sound like that's necessarily the case.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, what the indication here is. First of all, he said every five six days, so Burns is going to have to pitch on the thirtieth Sunday, because there's no minor league games on the thirty first. There's no affiliated minor league games on the thirty first, So if you pitch on the twenty fifth, then he's going to pitch again on the thirtieth. From there, his next outing, conceivably he could be able to go four plus innings, and the question now is that going to be in the major leagues or another minor league outing. Because of where the Diamondbacks are right now, is Soroka just hitting in the IL and some difficult scheduling situations. I think that they're probably going to go ahead and just if those two outings go well, the twenty fifth and the thirtieth go well, there's no issues. I think that they're going to spring him back around September fourth or fifth, to the latest. That's what I think is happening. Ideally, he would have September fourth or fifth to do one more minor league game, but I don't think the TVACS have that luxury at the moment.
Speaker 1: The Diamondbacks are definitely going to benefit from getting the extra roster spot in September. I think that's part of what allows you to do this, like having Corbyn Burns, and you know, maybe Mitch brad States in their rotation is another guy You're not sure you're getting a ton of length from having that extra arm in September really helps. The Dbacks also have a decent number of off days in the month of September. They have a couple of them in the first week of September if you include August thirty first, and then they have one off day and each week thereafter. So it should allow them to be able to deal with with the Corbyn Burns, who maybe is only going to give you four innings in his first appearance. But there are times, Jack where I kind of forget what it looked like for Corbyn Burns to pitch with the Arizona Diamondbacks because we didn't really see a whole lot of it. There are times when I have to like remind myself that he's actually a member of this team and signed the biggest contract in franchise history. But yeah, getting him back, knowing the getting him back, knowing the competitor that he is, maybe it's a big lift for this team. There's also part of me that's like, yeah, he's coming back from an elbow surgery, plus a shoulder injury, we probably should keep the expectations relatively low.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he goes four innings it only gives up one or two runs. Honestly, I mean that's that's where I'm at. Like you said, an elbow injury, a shoulder injury. Hasn't pitched since last year in June. You know, I expect the velocity to be in the low nineties. You know, I don't expect to see ninety five ninety six. Hopefully I'm wrong. That would be a pleasant surprise, but you know, more unlikely, he's probably going to be in the low nineties, below ninety five, just because he's you know, usually this is what we see, so you know, fingers crossed. I mean, Tory did say he's Corbyn Burns, but I kind of almost feel like that's setting expectations unfairly high. I do not expect the Corbyn Burns that was a cy Young contender with the Milwaukee Brewer, or even the guy that, while he was maybe getting a little bit lucky here and there, pitched pretty good for the d Backs, but wasn't a cy Young level Corbyn Burns before he went down with injury. You know, I don't expect that guy at this time. Now. Maybe he gets to that point by the end of September as they roll into the postseason, but certainly not early September.
Speaker 1: Elsewhere on the pitching front, Zach Gallon was scheduled to throw a bullpen on Saturday. I presumably he did that. So Gallan continues to work his way back. We don't have a great picture right now of what his timeline would look like, but for better or worse, jacket, it looks like there's a decent chance the Diamondbacks would would need him, or at least would give him a shot if he were if he were healthy at some point. So he's a name to continue to watch. Ryan Nelson is throwing bullpens as well. He appears to be in probably just reliever territory. That's been our thought here for a while. It's going to be impossible for him to build all the way up to a starter's load, but if he can come back as a maybe a multi inning reliever, a guy who could at least get six or nine outs for you, that could be a benefit. Also on the pitching front, Blake Walston is throwing in another game. I think he's set to make his sixth outing, a sixth appearance in Reno. I have Sunday on my list. Here is Blake Walston pitching as we speak right now.
Speaker 2: I do not know and have to look.
Speaker 3: I guess.
Speaker 1: I know he said earlier that Tommy Henry is pitching in that game, right, but maybe Walston is pitching behind him something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Blake Wilson's coming back as a reliever and now as a starter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, So Walston started the game and went two innings today, twenty seven pitches, one run, one walk, two strikeouts, and then Tommy Henry actually pitched behind Blake Walston is the way that Dbacks have lined everybody up, and is still pitching in that game as we speak right now. So this is Walston's sixth appearance in Reno. And yeah, it was just twenty seven pitches. So maybe he's a factor on the big league roster at some point.
Speaker 3: But we will see cool.
Speaker 1: On the position player front, Jack, I guess there's a few guys there as well. Lordis Gurriel Junior played in Triple A Reno on Friday. I believe it was he is starting to get relatively close here. Of course, lordis very much struggled for the Diamondbacks earlier this season. I think there are still very valid questions to be asked about, like, you know, what could lordis actually bring to your roster in twenty twenty six given what we saw from him earlier. But he is on the comeback trail, and by all indications, the Diamondbacks would give him a shot if if he was healthy enough to do so. Over who, I don't know, that's for them, that's for them to figure out.
Speaker 2: I mean, if he's taking plate appearances away from Ryan Wolfsmith and Jordan Lawler, you know there's going to be writing on the down to Chase Field rightfully. So, I mean that's just where it's at. Look, Lord has made a lot of contributions to this team, and you know, spent many years as a as a very solid hitter in this league. But he has not been that this year. And he's just not dependable or reliable. And if the team, you know, wedges him in there somehow and starts giving him a lot of plate appearances and taking that away from the young players that are performing well, I mean they're just not They're not just bodies out there. They're running around and bringing a lot of energy to this team. They're improving and getting better, you know. And if we start to see you know, plate appearance disappear so that they can play Lords, I'm not going to be happy in neither is anybody else. And I mean, the odds are really against getting good results out of that. So I'll just say it up front. I don't think they should do that. I think that they're going to have to figure something else out.
Speaker 1: I know you pointed out I think this was on Twitter. The Max Kepler has not played for the Diamondbacks a whole lot in recent days. So maybe there's a world where the Dbacks would go to Lordis instead of Kepler. But obviously Kepler is left handed and Guriel is right handed. It's not really a it's not really a match Lordis. Also, I'm looking at his numbers in Reno through Saturday, he was two for thirteen with two walks but seven strikeouts in this rehab outing. Both of those hits are singles, not exactly awesome numbers in triple A.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I don't even pay attention to those numbers. That's not even the point you know, also, I mean Kepler, Like, Kepler's started one game out of the last seven. He's not playing. He's already been marginalized. He's probably going to lose his roster spot some point very soon. But when he comes when if Lords comes back and say he takes Kepler's place on the roster, that's you know, who is going to get Max Kepler's at bats which are almost non existent. Are you gonna just sit Lordis on the bench? I don't know what they're gonna do there with that even yeah, just because rosters expand, like how do you give the rosters expand? But the number of positions in the lineup does not.
Speaker 3: That's a great point, be nice if it did, maybe I guess.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: Tommy Troy is maybe another name we should mention here. He faced Corbyn Burns on Friday, was set to play in a facility game on Saturday as of that's to where Levellows updates on Friday at the beginning of this Red series, So so Tommy Troy may be getting close here as well. He is a type of player where even though he he's another right handed bat who has much better numbers against lefties, but he's also the fastest player on the roster if you go by sprint speed. I think he's even above Corbyn Garrel if you can believe that. So that's an element of his game that you could see being handy, especially late in games, if you want to pinch run him or whatnot. And he can cover a variety of positions as well. So maybe Tommy Troy winds up being a factor in this thing at some point.
Speaker 2: Second base, Yeah.
Speaker 1: You hope they could tell is back here before too long and that doesn't wind up being in a flux for too much longer. But as of right now, Eldamar Vargas holding down the ford over there, very very good game on Sunday. As we referenced earlier looking ahead here, Jack, the Diamondbacks have a bit of a mess in front of them. We mentioned it. There's this double header on Saturday. The Giants schedule got weird and it required the Sunday game to be rescheduled to Saturday as a double header. So the Diamondbacks, they're pitching rotation lines up fine for Chicago. They've got Meryl Kelly, Brandon Fott, and WARDA. Rodriguez lined up there. But then the Thursday game against San Francisco. Roster resource has Cold Drake listed right now. We think that Jose Cabrera from from Reno we saw earlier this year. We think he is also very much in that conversation. And then Mitch Bratt would line up to go on Friday. And then you've got Saturday, where yes, MARYL. Kelly could pitch, but Brandon Fott could not. So the Diamondbacks really have two question marks over the next week. Who's gonna pitch on Thursday that in that spot maybe Cole Drake, maybe a Jose Cabrera. And then who's gonna pitch on Saturday, presumably behind Merril Kelly or in front of Meryl Kelly.
Speaker 3: I don't I don't know what the order would be, but.
Speaker 1: Kelly could start one of those games, not both, and with a doubleheader, you probably don't want to run a bullpen game out there for either of those.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're just shorthanded here, you know, and that that bolt, that double header couldn't come at a worse time for the Diamondbacks because of where they are with the rotation and Soroka injury and Burn's not ready to come back yet. They do get to bring up an extra pitcher, you know, for the doubleheader. So there's that, but you know, they excuse me, they also have an open spot on the forty man roster, so they could also add a pitcher to the forty man roster. Maybe there's somebody that they feels pitching well enough and performing well enough that they could bring them up and try to get three four innings, I mean a triple A. You also have human Lynn, Dylan Ray, Tommy Henry who's pitching today, you know, so there's guys that they could maybe stick on the forty even if it's just for a day. But then you know, if you got to turn around in DFA and to make room, that's that's not great. So you know, you start with the forty man roster options and then go from there. They're at thirty nine right now, but they're gonna need to add had Corvin Burns relatively quickly, so that brings you to forty.
Speaker 1: It is a mess. There are no real easy answers there. Jose Cabrera has not pitched great lately in Reno. I think he gave up like eight runs in his last outing, a pretty short one for him. But you look at his strikeout and walk numbers in August, He's at nineteen strikeouts to four walks, So at the very least you feel like he's putting the ball on the plate. He's challenging hitters and Reno. Certainly, bad luck is a very real thing there, so looking at the underlying stuff, it feels like Jose Cabrera would would maybe be the guy that they would want to go to here. Cold Drake has really struggled his last couple of times out in Triple A. I believe it's nine walks in his last two outings there, so the command has kind of backed up on him the past couple of times out there. So no easy answers for the d Backs on the pitching front this next week. They need some length at as some of these guys, and they might need someone to step up that we didn't really expect to see here in late August with the d Backs in the middle of a playoff push.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, shame on me. I should have been looking at the waiver wire as well, see if there's anybody else out there who's the next Zach Lttel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is also totally possible. I mean we saw Nebil Chris Matt and make a bunch of starts for the Diamondbacks down the stretch last year, and it wound up being actually really good after they traded Meryl Kelly at the deadline. So we'll see what happens on that front. A big story to watch over the next week. And speaking of big stories to watch, the Philadelphia Phillies Jack may never lose another baseball game as far as I'm concerned. They won their ninth consecutive game on Sunday, completing yet another sweep. This time it was the Saint Louis Cardinals and they were down sick or they were down four to nothing with a runner at second and two outs in the bottom of the ninth, and they came and won the game by a final score.
Speaker 3: Of six to four.
Speaker 1: That's just what the Phillies do, at least that's what they have done here over the past couple of weeks. The padres here at seventy one and sixty. They continue to win games as well. They complete a weekend sweep of the Minnesota Twins, and they stay two games out in front of the Diamondbacks. The d Backs two games by San Diego four games behind Philly, and then the Miami Marlins also won a third consecutive game today over the Washington Nationals. There now just a couple of games behind the d Backs and four games out of that third wild card spot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know, one thing is that it's been talked about a bit lately, is you know, who knows maybe within a week or so, it's going to be the Braves that are going to pop up in this wildcard race table, not the Phillies. That'd be pretty wild Yeah. Yeah, d Backs up against it. I talked about last show how I've projected that they're going to need to get to eighty eight wins, and you know, right now the Padres are on pace for eighty eight wins, So even that might not be enough. I mean, the Padres just you know, are too hot, They're playing too well. I think that Fangrass is behind the curve as far as how many games that they're projecting the Padres to win this year. But you know, can the d Backs get hot enough to get to eighty nine ninety wins? I don't know. That seems really almost out of the realm of reality for what this team is. I mean, they haven't been more than eight games over five hundred at any point in the season, and they only reached that level twice for very brief moments in the very recent past, and really seven to eight games above five hundred in total has been their high water mark since the end of May. So I don't know how the Dbacks are going to all of a sudden, you know, get to ninety and seventy two or eighty nine and seventy three and somehow piped the Padres. That seems not very realistic, especially with the pitching injuries that they have. However, they play the games on the field, not on our computers and not on our podcast, and we promise to dive into everything that possibly gives any hope that they could do that.
Speaker 1: The Dbacs went three and three on their road trip to Boston Atlanta, which again going in would have been like, yeah, you'll take that against those two teams on the road. They just won two out of three at home against the Cincinnati Reds. Not awesome, but like, yeah, that's fine. If you do those kinds of things over the course of a season, you feel like you're gonna end up in a good spot. And yet over these last nine games, the Diamondbacks have dropped in the standings right Just this past weekend, they lost a game to the Padres.
Speaker 3: They lost a game to.
Speaker 1: The Phillies as well, both of those teams pulling off sweeps. San Diego is playing at a one hundred and six win pace going back to the All Star break. There are twenty three and twelve since the All Star Break. The Phillies are now nineteen and fourteen. The d Backs are twenty and fifteen, which is good, but it feels like it just hasn't been good enough compared to what these other teams are doing right now. So it's gonna be an uphill battle with just a little over a month to go in the season. But hey, we're just all thinking about that three game series against San Diego at the end of the year, three game series against Philly at the end of this month. Feels like those are kind of gonna make or break this thing for the Diamondbacks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they're gonna have to win two out of three from the Cups first. They can't lose the series. They can still lose ground, they just can't give up any more ground.
Speaker 1: So, in conclusion, the d Bacs just can't lose another game the rest of the season, and if they may.
Speaker 2: Can't lose series.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's fair, that's fair.
Speaker 2: They need to reel off like seven series wins in a row, or they need to go on an eight or nine game winning streak their own, I mean something like that. They've either got to win seven series in a row or they've got to just rip off a seven game winning streak like right now.
Speaker 1: That is definitely what it feels like. And yet baseball is weird, and sometimes teams that are super hot and look undefeatable, like the Padres and Phillies right now, sometimes they hit a roadblock, and who knows what we could see in the next month plus. But we are excited to follow it along with all of you, and we very much appreciate you being here on this episode of Snake's Territory. If you haven't already, be sure to follow us on Twitter. I am at jesse En Friedman. Jack is at sho Wizard fifty nine. Our show is at Snake's Territory. Do all the things we said earlier. If you would be so kind, drop alike on the video, subscribe to our channel, hit the bell icon for notifications. Those things really really help us out. And of course you can find Jack's written work over at Arizona Diamondbacks on sid Jack. Any final thoughts before we get out of here and head in to what should be a fascinating week for this Diamondbacks team.
Speaker 2: Not a whole lot to add. I think we've said enough for today.
Speaker 3: Thank you again to all of you for being with us.
Speaker 1: We really appreciate your time, and we'll be back on Tuesday night. It looks like it'll be Tuesday night, a postgame show after that Tuesday game against the Chicago Cubs. That'll be live on our YouTube channel, and so we hope that we will see you back here then