Speaker 1: Hey guys, welcome to I've never said this before with me, Tommy de Dario. If you are not watching nine one one on ABC, you are seriously missing out. The show is so phenomenal that it has been renewed for an eighth season. And my guest today, well, he is phenomenal as well. In fact, he is on my show because of you. I saw all of the tweets, the dms, the emails, all of it. So like a genie in a bottle, your wish has been granted. The talented actor Ryan Guzman stars in the Smash Shit Firefighter drama series nine one one, and audiences fell in love with his character Eddie the moment he debuted in episode one of season two. Man he has become a staple on the show and fans have been rooting for Eddie throughout the years, and Ryan plays each moment of Eddie's journey with such care and vulnerability and truth. We have a lot to cover today and I have a feeling you were going to really enjoy this fun but also personal and deep conversation. We do dive into some very serious mental health conversations. So after the interview, I will be providing resources for anyone struggling with their own mental health. This is one of the most powerful interviews.
Speaker 2: I have ever done.
Speaker 1: And I really thank Ryan for opening up in the ways that he did today because I know that he is going to help so many people out there feel less alone. So let's see if we can get Ryan to say something that he has never said before. Ryan, my friend, how you doing today?
Speaker 2: I'm good, Brodd? How are you? I'm good?
Speaker 1: I know you have been working your butt off. You were just saying you were filming all night. Are you exhausted or you're on like adrenaline right now?
Speaker 2: A little mixture of both, you know. I got a little coffee pumped through my system. But yeah, we've been I think I worked six out of seven days this last week. We've been doing around fourteen to fifteen hour days. And I just got off last night around in the morning, so got home around two thirty. But we're here, we're here.
Speaker 1: Well, you were putting in the work. Congratulations to you on all of the success with the show. It's of course now on ABC. People are loving it. The numbers are going insane, and you've always been a fan favorite from day one. You know, when you have that first scene of you putting that shirt on in slow motion and your body was glistening, and what a man was playing. People just fell in love with your character. But that's not just why they love your character. I mean, over the seasons, people have found you so relatable and really really are truly invested in the role that you play. Why do you think that is? I'd like to say that.
Speaker 2: I mean, I try to play as grounded as I can, but I think the story itself, it's just the way tim Inar writes the character, and I think he's always had a special connection with this kind of character, so just indebted to how he writes and the connectivity between Eddie and his son. I mean, it's just like it pulls the heartstrings, you know, And that's always been a fan favorite as well, So you know, I'm living in gratitude for everything that's been written for that character, and I try to do it as much justice as I can.
Speaker 1: Well, you're nearing the end of season seven, and past seasons for you have been a bit heavier, a bit more intense. You've really gone through quite a lot of things that we'll touch on a bit later, which I know is also part of the reason why so many people relate to you. Are you enjoying this journey this season?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what, I haven't really been able to kind of flex my humorous side and just kind of lightheartedness, kind of vibe about Eddie, and I love that aspect of him. So while everybody else is kind of going through chaos, well Cap is going through chaos, Eddie is kind of, you know, trying to keep everybody together while you know, Chimney and Hen going at it during the whole tsunami and beside an adventure, Eddie's just you know, being there for everybody as much as he can. So you're not to say that he's always going to be happy, because Tim always has this thing about saying, you know, if I just let your guys be happy, then there'd be no story. You gotta have some kind of drama. Nobody wants to show up just for people smiling all the time. But yeah, we've got some things in store for the rest of the season, and from what we've already shot, I've been super pleased about, you know, this new way of life, Freddy.
Speaker 1: Like I said, the things you've gone through are intent throughout the years. Do you have any fears stepping into this role or any anxiety before you had to film some of those more intense scenes because it's a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what, prior to nine to one one, I might have had some fears about the depth of a lot of the things that we shot, And I honestly didn't really call myself an actor until like maybe three and a half years ago. No, yeah, yeah, I thought I was just fooling everybody, trying to get jobs and land the movies that I was getting. And then I think somewhere around the third season, a co star of mine kind of like metaphorically slapped me in the face and said, you know, let's let's really get into this man. You've got some really good opportunity here. So that's when I started call myself an actor. But to be honest, the depth of Eddie in the past three four seasons has been amazing. As just a I don't know, a class, it's been class for me. It's been an opportunity to flex these emotions that I don't get to flex in my day to day life, and to access certain things and see how far can I push Eddie. How you know, in the scene where Eddie is just losing his stuff and he's breaking everything in his house, like obviously I've never done in my house. But how do I get there? How can I allow the audience to feel what I'm feeling? And that task itself becomes a challenge, and I really love that type of challenge. So again, living in gratitude for all the little things that Eddie presents that you know, I haven't really been presenting my own life.
Speaker 1: That being said, is there a storyline that's particularly special to you for any given reason?
Speaker 2: I kind of lean automatically towards the military PTSD just because I have a cousin who served six tours, and you know, he shared with me and I actually, oddly enough, during the episode of Eddie Begins, I brought him on as a military tech and he helped out everybody in the production. His name's Randy Hudson. I you know, I love that guy to death. But yeah, he's shared with me a lot of his issues that he's gone through and a lot of the obstacles he's gone through in his day to day life and what it's like to be a military vet coming back and kind of assimilating back into civilian lifestyle. So that storyline always kind of held a special place in my heart, just because it was very close connected with me and my own family, and I always hope that you know I did it justice enough for everybody that has that story ingrained in them.
Speaker 1: I think you definitely did. I saw a lot of comments when I announced you as my guest saying that that was a very meaningful part of your journey on this show. I'm so curious. You know, quite often in television, it moves so fast, there's always rewrites, there so much going on. Was there ever a story that you wanted to come to fruition that never did.
Speaker 2: I hated the fact that we killed off Shannon so quick. I know she wasn't a very likable character for so many different reasons. But I always loved working with Devin, so I would love to explore a little bit more with that. But yeah, there's always beauty and chaos a little bit. So I would have loved the relationship mother father parenting style aspect of Bettie's life to be a more explored, but unfortunately that can't happen anymore.
Speaker 1: There's always so many things going on, I'm sure it's hard to fit them into each episode, and I'm sure things to have to get cut because major things keep happening episode after episode, one of them being recently, of course, Buck realized he's by and that's a storyline everyone's going crazy over. Did you see that coming where you like, I think one day this is gonna happen for him?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean it's always kind of been in the ether. Everybody, you know, all the fans, you know, have their speculations about Eddie and Buck, and you know, for the longest time, I think Oliver and I again had light heartedness to it. We always kind of like saw it as like, oh well, at least they're so interested in our characters. Thank god, they're interested in our character, right, you know, not ignoring us. And I don't know if either of us had a pinpoint, you know, idea on which character or if any character would actually lead in that way. But again all credit to Timmneer. He's the one that knows the way, so he chose Buck's character to explore that route, and now seeing it happen in front of our eyes, it makes so much sense. It just the way him, Buck and Tommy are getting together and the way they're exploring their own individuality and personality. It's beautiful to watch. I was very excited to see you know that episode specifically just for the fact that it was such a moment between you know, a friend and another friend who had held this huge secret and how do you come out to your friend? You know, because I know I've had this actually in my own personal life. I've said this in prior interviews. I had a friend who was at least scared of coming out to me, and I realized that that moment itself wasn't so much the journey for me, you know, it was this hard journey for himself, and all I had to do was catch I just had to be there for him. And I was like, that moment itself is so beautiful. I can't wait to do that scene. I can't wait to, you know, show the world like this is how you you be there for your brother. Wow.
Speaker 1: How cool that you could pull from your real life experience and make that scene even more special, which is why I think it came off so incredibly powerful. It really was so cool to see, and the reception has been absolutely incredible in terms of people feeling like, you know, they're scene through that character and it's on primetime TV, and you don't see a ton of that, which is still kind of crazy, but you know, and of course there were some negative comments, which blows my mind. I mean, I'm sure that blew your mind too to see that, because who cares.
Speaker 2: Right, Honestly, I've got this now filter for negative comments. They just kind of seep right through, and I don't even hold onto anything. So all I've seen is really really good comments. And one of the best parts is actually have gone to work and Oliver himself has been like telling me these stories of people saying, man, I did not have the strength to come out until way later on in my life. So I'm like, oh, man, could you imagine twenty thirty years of holding onto this repressed thing and then it just eating way at you and not being able to say anything, even to the closest people, and then seeing something on television to inspire you that kind of thing is just like WHOA, Okay, We're doing something much greater, much bigger than us.
Speaker 1: He's not the only one inspiring. It's characters like you, because you're showing you know what an ally means. And I think that's really cool to see this, Like macho cool guy that's just like cool, like who cares, and that's also equally as powerful and as important. Before we put a pin on this, you know, part of the conversation you mentioned you never know what the writers are going to do, and I think there were talks at one point if possibly Eddie being the one to come out in some sort of way. Do you laugh and have fun with all of the fandom's obsession with you as Eddie and Buck getting together? Like is that something you guys always are seeing and hearing and I know everyone brings it up to you, and it's something that's always looming, Like how do you react to that? Does it ever get tiring for you?
Speaker 2: Again, if the fans are interested, we're doing our jazz. So I love the love and I mean, unfortunately I'm not the one that writes it, so it's all up to Tim. But me and Oliver have a really good time with the fact that, you know, people are so invested into these storylines, and in fact, they're so invested they're creating their own storylines. They're us you know, clips and edits and videos, and you know, every now and then Oliver will show me something, I'll show Oliver or something like, did we actually do this in a scene? This actually had because they cut it so well together. Yeah, so yeah, I think at the end of the day, you know, we just love the love. We're here to entertain and tell the truth. If it's true to the character then Yet.
Speaker 1: You can't predict the future. Nobody can on this show. But if the opportunity one day happened to come your way where they were like, this storyline might be explored between fucking Eddie, would you be open to that storyline and in the future, I see you smiling, I said. Oliver had the same reaction, a big as grint on his space when I asked this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, like I said, it's got to live in the truth. And I think right now we live at a moment, or me, I live moment to moment. So I love the fact that the biggest plot point between these two characters is one happens to be by one happens to be hetero, and they have this vulnerability towards each other. And that is the truth to me, is it's the fact that you have such a safe space and it doesn't matter your sexuality, that you have a safe space to talk to this individual and he can fully accept you. If we can stay with that, then whatever happens happens. But I don't necessarily want to push the fact that because you're vulnerable, you have to be one way or the other in your sexuality. That I would hate to you know, have a lot of other men who are struggling mentally and not sure about Oh do I even open up? Will that make me something that I'm not? I would hate to push that narrative. So if we live in the truth, whatever happens happens, and again, I'm here for it all.
Speaker 1: Whatever happens happens. That's a nice way to put it. And I agree with you. I think there's power in both, right. I think there's power in showing a strong friendship that you don't always get to see, and then there's power if something eventually does happen. So whatever happens happens. I like that.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: What can we expect for the rest of the season with your character? Is anything you can tease the finales coming up? We have a couple more weeks. What can we expect?
Speaker 2: What can we expect? Well, we can expect that Eddie Smiles might turn to frowns. Oh no, or at least confusion. Maybe we'll start to see, you know, has he gotten past certain traumas or is he just kind of pushed them to the side and acting like they're not there. You know.
Speaker 1: I have to say a lot of people are still holding on to hope that we're going to get that karaoke scene.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, we had such a good time playing that karaoke scene, and it was kind of a letdown a little bit to know that it wasn't going to be in there. But now again, looking at the episode itself, as fun as it would be, the main story was Chimney and the way Kenneth Troy played Chimney and that episode specifically. I mean I think he got you know, performance of the Week for that, it would have been a disservice to add, you know, a three minute scene of us laughing and having a great time and being drunk saying karaoke and take away from that performance. So I'm glad that Tim made that decision. And I don't know if he has any plans on showing that later on or whatnot, or having some extended clip version, but I could tell you this much, everybody from the cast, to the crew, to the background had a wild and crazy time doing that scene.
Speaker 1: And I think what I just heard you say is you might accidentally drop it on your Instagram very soon.
Speaker 2: I might get fired if I do that. All right, well we'll see.
Speaker 1: I'll talk to AIRBCPR No problem. What do you want to see for season eight? Like, are you thinking about the future is? They're like, okay, if I could have my way, I absolutely want to explore blank.
Speaker 2: To be honest, there's so much going at us, so rapid, so fast paced. At this moment. The scripts are getting handed in like quick as can be, so we have a moment's notice to kind of know what we're doing and where we're going with our character. From what I know, from what I've shot thus far, I think next season.
Speaker 3: Will literally be a refresh button to Eddie and starting over in so many different ways, so many new ways in which Eddie has never looked bored, and we've never seen Eddie explore.
Speaker 2: He'll be He'll be on his own in a lot of areas.
Speaker 1: Speaking of that, I have to bring up season five the mental health breakdown. Man, that was Oh that was intense, and a lot of people felt very connected to that. How was it stepping into that scene for you and that storyline, because it's pretty powerful.
Speaker 2: Thank you man. That was cathartic, to be honest, it was I've gone through my own mental health issues as far as, like, you know, my own depression and anxiety, and and you know, I was raised in an age where men aren't vulnerable and aren't allowed to show feelings. So that kind of repression is like a ticking time bomb, you know, especially for a person in Eddie's life or his lifestyle. So to kind of relinquish this boundary of who Ryan is and step into Eddie and just kind of just full on dive deep into this well of emotion, it was it was almost like therapy. It was crazy because you know, from the second they started to say rolling, it's like I just started to, you know, start balling and crying. And when Buck comes in and you know, he's trying to check in on me, and the whole room is just all scattered around and I'm losing it. It's just like there was no semblance of Ryan anymore. It was just all Eddie and it was just lost. And that's what it is. It's like if I were to look at my son, you know, five year old son. That's kind of what we revert back to is just this child that is just so scared and not having any sense of direction and our hope that anybody will ever love him or ever see him. And it's just these like you know, existential fears that come out within those tears, and that my goal to portray that whole scene and then the scene following it, so to get there was just let go, just let go.
Speaker 1: Well, the work you did was clearly honest and raw and vulnerable. You can't fake the work that you did in that, and it was really powerful man for many people to kind of go through that with you, and for people who have had their own experiences and you're right, like, I'm from an old school Italian family and you know, you grow up thinking men don't go through that and men don't show those emotions. So to have that on primetime TV is huge.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I hope that helped out a lot of people. I hope that people were actually able to see that and at least, you know, go to their best guy friend, and you know, I think that's what really needs to happen as far as men. We need to lean on each other. You know, women have thought their own issues and they have their certain way of connecting with each other. But there's a special connection that you can have with your brother. And I give so much credit to quite a few of my personal brothers in including my actual brother, for allowing me to run to them in my moments of need and my moments of feeling lost, and them, you know, being men themselves, not having to say one thing to me or they can just you know, if they see me in a moment of you know, deep into a problem, they have the ability to say, well, here's a solution. And since i'm you know, of like mind, I can be like, okay, you know what, thank you forgiving me some kind of direction. So yeah, I implore all men out there to kind of at least have one or two in your corner, you know, because we can't get anywhere without community, lean on each other.
Speaker 1: That's certainly a good way to take care of, you know, our own mental health is have that community.
Speaker 2: It's so important. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: What have you most learned about yourself through playing this character for so many years? You know, you joined in season two, It's been a lot of years now under your belt.
Speaker 2: Have you thought about that?
Speaker 1: Have you learned anything through playing Eddie?
Speaker 2: I've learned a lot through Eddie. I've learned patience. You know. He has a sense of patience that I didn't have in the beginning, even prior to being a father, you know, and then kids itself, they teach you how to be patient. So yeah, I've learned how to be there as a father. Kind of oddly enough, it's just living as one on screen prior to actually being one in real life. It gave me, say, practice, I get to practice on television what I get to imploring with my own children. And you know, even if it's the worst thing for Eddie, you know, and I see him doing something horrible, at least I come back home like, well, that can't happen. I can't do that with my kids. So yeah, and in so many ways it's helped me grow as a man, let alone a father.
Speaker 1: That's pretty awesome when you can take things away from your job like that and become a better I love that so much. Can you believe you've been on the show for so long now, do you ever think like, damn, that's that's not normal. That's the rarity in the business. So is that a cool feeling for you?
Speaker 2: Yeah. I literally just had that moment yesterday when he was filming a scene all of us, the whole cast, and I'm sitting outside, Oh, I can't tell you the location that's gonna blow something. I'm sitting outside one of the sets, and I just had that moment to myself. I'm like, oh my God, like I'm actually here, Like how did I get so lucky to be on not only just a television show, the number one television show out there, where we're in our seventh season and we're making we're creating numbers that people don't even get in their first season. So again, if there's a moment to tap into, let's get into that gratitude and again and just be super thankful that I was lucky enough to land there.
Speaker 1: That is so cool and that's why I no doubt you'll continue having so much success in your career and in your personal life because you keep bringing up gratitude and it's very evident that something you lead your life with. And in fact, I saw a recent Instagram post where you give a beautiful tribute to Twitch and you credit him with being able to form connection with people in your life now and to different things and places, and I thought that was such a beautiful way to show people that you're working on yourself and you're a work in progress, and that he helped you kind of open your eyes. So that was a really cool moment for you to also reveal thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I believe so much of the world right now is showcasing a polished version of themselves, And to be honest, I did it myself for so long that I've become tired of it, and I would much rather get to the raw, the raw, the unfiltered, the you know, the mess ups, the you know. I've stuck my foot in my mouth too many times. I've done, you know, stupid things in my life, and I never want to present myself as a person that does everything great because there's so many things I suck at. So I think there's an opportunity within that rawness to invite others to become raw themselves and for us to see that, you know, we're not competing with each other. We're competing with ourself and our own image of ourself. And friends like you know, a brother like like twitch, you know, and not understanding what he was going through and that lack of connectivity that I always you know, felt but never acted on, which again I felt imposter syndrome for so long of calling him my brother. It really struck a chord in me. And now I can't go backwards. Now I'm propelled forward to be like, is this conversation authentic between us? Or are we just kind of saying what we have to say just so we can pass on to the next person and create whatever that is. And I'm not here for that. I would much rather have that depth, and I'd much rather have that.
Speaker 1: Rawness beautifully said and a perfect segue. And so what I want to finish this conversation with, which is based off the title of the show. I've never said this before. So I'm wondering, is there anything that comes to mind that you want to share today that you've never shared before?
Speaker 2: Uh huh, Yeah, you know what, I've been thinking about this for so long, and there's so many things, you know, that come to mind, one specifically, and it's been hesitant to actually say any of this for so long because you know, it's been years upon years, about six and a half seven years ago, and I've really never said this out loud, especially onto a public platform. I had my own mental health crisis, and I tried at one point in time to take my own life.
Speaker 3: And.
Speaker 2: Luckily it didn't work. Luckily I got a second chance, by the grace of God, and from that moment forward, I've taken each step as an opportunity to erase what got me there and build on what allowed me to live forward. So I would say that that moment itself, in addition to what happened to my brother twitch are probably the two biggest fundamental moments of my entire life and have allowed me to have a deeper sense of mercy and empathy towards every individual. So I would implore that all men renounce this fact of you know, you're a man, you have to hold all this sin, but lean on your brother, really lean on your brother. And if your brothers aren't being there and the way they need to be, find some new ones. That's another thing. If you don't have the people that are conducive to a healthy livestyle, you're keeping onto them because of loyalty, let them go. There's plenty of other people. There's people that have been through your situation before that are willing and more than willing, you know, to help. So yeah, that was a big one man.
Speaker 1: First of all, thank you for sharing something so personal and close to your heart with me today. I feel honored that you did open up and share that, and I'm truly god this could be another half hour conversation, so I'll keep it short, but I'm truly grateful that you are spreading that message today for anybody listening, because you know, mental health is a crisis, and I think people sometimes look at you, they look at me, they think everything's perfect. We are, you know, in this public space and what can be wrong, And when you humanize real shit like that, it makes people feel less alone. And you got through it, you realize that wasn't the right way to go about it, and your life forever changed for the better. And I'm truly grateful that you put that message out today because you have no idea how many people you're going to be helping with that, and I truly know that that's something that's not easy to get off your chest. And for that, I thank you, and I know so many people will be thanking you, and I hope you feel kind of like a little bit of a weightlifted that you share that hopefully.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of hard to understand what I'm feeling at the moment, but I hope in what you've said is true, and I hope that again I would love to do more for mental health, especially for men. I mean just in general, to be honest. But yes, I hope that there is a new wave out there that's kind of taking over that we can actually, you know, have some cohesiveness and connection and true understanding what connection is. Let's revisit that, so this issue isn't a common issue anymore. If we can take that down, then let's do it.
Speaker 1: I'm here for beautifully said, and thank you again for sharing that. I could talk to you for hours, especially leaving with that. I think you're such a cool person, and you know you watch people. I get to talk to people all the time, but this, to me was a real conversation, and that's what I value. That's why I have a show called I've never said this before, and I want to talk about the projects that the fans love, but also leave room to talk about things that matter. I don't think there's enough of that, So I truly thank you for hanging out, for coming on, for talking about the fun of nine to one one, which we all love and it's killing it in every way, but also sharing a little piece of view. I hope you enjoyed the conversation as much as I have.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me, my man. Yeah, I had a great time.
Speaker 1: Thank you, and remind everyone where how when all the things about your show?
Speaker 2: Yes, please watch Thursdays at eight on ABC.
Speaker 1: All right, and stay tuned for the karaoke scene that you just promised you will be dropping.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe when I'm fired again.
Speaker 1: All right, man, until we meet again, Take care, all.
Speaker 2: Right, brother man.
Speaker 1: If you or someone you know is struggling with the suicidal thoughts, please contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at one eight hundred two seven three eight two five five. You can also text strength to the crisis text line at seven four one dash seven four to one, or go to Suicide Prevention Lifeline dot org. This information is all in the description on my episode page. So I hope you use the resources if you feel like you need to. And man, just another note. By Ryan sharing his truth, I know that he will help many people feel less alone and hopefully feel the same kind of safety he felt in asking for help.
Speaker 2: If they are struggling.
Speaker 1: I've Never Said This Before is hosted by Me Tommy de Dario. This podcast is executive produced by Andrew Puglisi at iHeartRadio and by Me Tommy, with editing by Joshua Colaudney. I've Never Said This Before is part of the Elvis Duran podcast Network on iHeart Podcasts. For more, rate, review and subscribe to our show and if you liked this episode, tell your friends. Until next time, I'm Tommy de Dario