Speaker 1: Calls for a ban on TikTok surface once again, the new iPhone app to help you clear out duplicate and blurry photos. The new website that lets you search through millions of old newspapers. Plus your tech questions answered. What's going on on rich dmiro and this is rich on Tech broadcasting live from Los Angeles, coast to coast. This is the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer your questions about technology. I believe that tech should be interesting, useful, and fun. Let's go ahead and open up the phone lines at triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Give me a call. If you have a question about technology. Email is also open. Just go to rich on Tech dot tv and hit contact. We've got some great guests this week. Jose Brionez is a digital minimalist. He literally gave up his smartphone. He now runs a website called dumbphonefinder dot org. We will talk about digital minimalism and what you can do to spend less time on your phone. Yanco Rutgers, author of the low Pass newsletter, is going to talk about the Roku message that surprised many users, how Max is cracking down on passwords, and why you should download a video app called VLC. And I've got interviews from Rivian's R to launch, including the CEO and head designer. They came out with quite the nice car. This week, I finally got my hands on a review unit of the Apple Vision Pro, and boy do I have some thoughts. So it is amazing. I will tell you that this is the first product that I am at the same time in love with, but I can't fully recommend purchasing it unless you've got four grand burning a hole in your pocket, then by all means go ahead. So if you're not familiar with the Apple Vision Pro, it's a headset that combines virtual reality and augmented reality, so you can either see screens and apps and entertainment and content kind of projected onto the world around you, or with one turn of a wheel, you can be completely immersed in a virtual digital world. So I've tried a whole bunch of things for starters. The headset is definitely heavier than I remembered it when I did my tests. It can be kind of uncomfortable to find just the right fit and the position to wear it and sit with it. But this is mostly due to the first generation of this product. This thing is going to get lighter, it's going to get smaller. I did drop the battery pack one time because I kind of forgot it was sitting next to me. It is tethered to the pack or to the headset, I should say, And yeah, it fell off the couch and onto the floor. No big deal. The software is incredible. This is where Apple excels. This is where they are literally just showing off. They have thought of everything. You are inside this helmet I call a helmet, and it's kind of like Disneyland. It's so magical. But it's also quite limited. So for instance, if you search the app store, we're used to finding any app you can imagine on your iPhone. Not many streaming apps inside. I couldn't find Netflix, I couldn't find YouTube. Now there is Max, and there is Disney Plus, and of course there's Apple TV Plus. But when I tried to log into Max, because I was like, let me try watching a movie on Max, it was nearly impossible because it wanted me to type this super long password that I have on my account into this virtual keyboard, which required looking at my phone to get the password, which I had to have off to the side, and I couldn't see because my helmet was on or headset, whatever you want to call it. But once I ended up watching a show on Apple TV Plus, which is what they wanted me to do, right. I watched the show called Hijack. It was great. The picture was bright, it was crystal clear, the audio was just incredible. The screen rivaled in imax. It was huge, at least to my brain. But I did struggle to sort of get comfortable to watch this show. Towards the end, I found myself like itching to be done. Now. I did use the device as a spatial computer, which is what Apple is saying. This thing is really good at that's what they're calling it. It's really really cool, but again it's exhausting. When you look at your Mac computer screen on your desk, the vision pro uses AI and it recognizes that, says, oh, this must be a computer, and it says do you want to project this screen onto my virtual screen? And you say yes, Then your laptop screen becomes a giant screen in a virtual world, and you can have a whole bunch of windows and things happening and make it large. It's really cool, and you use your physical laptop, keyboard and trackpad to control it, and you're controlling it in any sort of environment you want. So again, you turn that dial. And I was checking my emails in the middle of the Joshua Tree desert. I was surfing the web and planning this radio show a top mount hood, and I could even hear birds chirping in the distance. It was very relaxing, but the image wasn't as razor sharp or the use as straightforward as using my MacBook. So what I do? I switched back to my MacBook.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I did do a FaceTime call with some folks from Apple who are showing me how to set things up. That was pretty cool. But then my wife called on FaceTime, which she never typically does, but I said, hey, call me on FaceTime. I'll take it inside the headset. And her reaction was pretty wild. She was like, why do you look so weird? I said, that's my persona, a digital representation of myself. So you take the helmet off. I keep calling it a helmet, it's a headset, whatever you want to call it, and you take pictures of yourself with the three D cameras and it stitches them together. It says, Okay, smile, don't show your teeth, blink, don't blink, and then it stitches all this stuff together to make this kind of floating head of yourself. If you've ever been on that ride at Disney, the Haunted Castle, Haunted Mansion, that's what it looks like. One of those little floating heads, and that's you, except you're not dead. You're very much alive. Uh, but this is what people chat with on FaceTime.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: Apple pushed out a software update yesterday to make this better, so I haven't tried that, but hopefully it's better. My kid really wanted to try the headset. It's not meant for kids under thirteen, although I'm sure many of them will be using it. He loved it. His reaction was priceless. Just he was like, wow, think about it. This is a technology that ninety nine point nine percent of the world has not tried yet, so it is really incredible when you put this on, because it's unlike any entertainment form you've ever seen. It's like imagine being inside of a three D movie. That's what it feels like so he was playing with dinosaurs and the coolest thing, and this is a representation of how cool Apple is with their software and how they nailed it. He was able to figure out the hand gestures and the navigation within seconds, no teaching necessary. Now the headset is paired to you. It's got some sort of like optical sensor to like unlock, just like your iPhone does. You can use a passcode or optic sensors, but you can also put it into guest mode so someone in your house or a friend can try it out. Now, guest mode is kind of tricky because you have to put the headset on, unlock it, snap it into guest mode, and then take it off within five minutes and hand it to someone else. They put it on, they go through this whole setup routine of you know, adjusting the inside lenses and looking at things and selecting them so it knows how to track your eyeballs. It's kind of an involved process, and once they take the headset off, they've got to do it all over again to try it again. So if you've got multiple people in your house, I'm sure there's a way to set up multiple accounts on this thing. But for guests just giving them a look inside this, it's kind of tricky, but again their reaction is priceless. So overall, my journey with Apple Vision pro has just begun, and I think so has Apples. This is a really emerging technology and I think Tim Cook kind of nailed it when he said this is tomorrow's technology today. I think the price tag reflects that it is thirty five hundred dollars. It is not something that most people can just go out and buy on a whim. Even if you come to my house and say, rich, this is the coolest thing I've ever tried in my life. I want this. With other forms of technology, you might be able to get it. With this, you're gonna think twice, you're gonna think three times, and you're gonna say, eh, probably not. Now. I want this to work. I want this technology to succeed, and I have no doubt it will. I have no doubt that one day you're just gonna put on a pair of glasses. You're gonna watch a movie, You're gonna check email, you're gonna make FaceTime calls or some sort of video chat with people. You're gonna use AI to talk and interact with different things. But that moment is not here just yet. It is, but it's not attainable for most people. This is a rare anomaly. Anomally, did I add an extra syllable to that word? See? Even vision pro can't fix my speech? Maybe it can. This is a rare anomaly where the virtual technology is here. The technology is here, and it's really really good. But it's going to be a matter of time before the world catches up to this technology. My advice, do yourself a favor. Go to the Apple Store, make an appointment first and set yourself up for a demo. You have to see this technology to believe it now. I'm not expecting you to get this today, tomorrow, the next day, even in a year. This price really has to come down to a place where someone sees this and says I want that now. I don't know what that price point is. Maybe it's under one thousand dollars, but a lot of people, you know, their main thing right now is getting a phone every couple of years for one thousand bucks. That's tough enough. And so imagine trying to layer this on top. Imagine trying to layer a computer on top, and so it does all these things in a really interesting way. But does it take over something that you already have and replace that. Not yet right now. This is just to value add on. Is it really cool to watch movies inside this thing? Absolutely? It was it really cool to have my computer screen inside this thing? Absolutely? Was it cool to have a web browser and some music off to the side and have a bunch of windows on top of a mountain in Hawaii? Absolutely? Was it cool to sit on the moon and watch a TV show? Yes, it's very cool. But again, this is brand new. Apple has done an incredible job, and I think the halo effect here is going to be real. We're going to see more of an interest in virtual reality. We're going to see more applications for this, and you know what, I am here for the ride, But I will say my initial thoughts on this remain the same. It is incredibly cool, but it's incredibly expensive, which makes it a really tough recommendation unless again, you've got that money to burn, so applevision pro I will continue to check it out. I'm going on a flight soon. I will take it on the plane. I'll tell you what that's all about, and continue to update you on the progress with this amazing technology. All right, coming up, will TikTok get banned in the US. The chatter is happening again, But first it's your turn. Your calls coming up next at Triple A rich one on one that's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. You are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you talking technology at Triple A Rich one O one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. The website rich on Tech dot tv. Anything I mentioned on the show, the links are there. Just look for the big red banner at the top that says heard it on the radio. Click here and you'll get the links in real time. You can follow me on social media. I am at rich on Tech. So once again, the fate of TikTok is up for debate in the US. This week, the House Energy and Commerce Committee voted fifty to zero to advance this bipartisan bill that would require byte Dance that's TikTok's Chinese parent company, to divest its ownership of the app within one hundred and sixty five days. If this bill passes still needs to be introduced into the Senate before it reaches the President's desk. But this is interesting. President Biden has kind of said, yeah, he would support the bill that would result in this nationwide ban if it's passed. But what's also interesting is that the White House recently joined TikTok in an effort to reach young voters.
Speaker 4: HM.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, former President Trump, who previously pushed for a TikTok ban back in the day, now opposes that. He says he thinks Facebook will gain from this ban and he doesn't like that idea. Now, opponents of the bill, obviously, there are many of them civil liberties groups. They argue that it would infringe on the freedom of expression and violate the Constitution. And of course TikTok does not like the idea. You think. They actually sent out a push notifications to push notification to users warning about this potential ban, and they said, you know what, why don't you call your representative and they gave them the info on how to do that, and many users flooded the phone lines in DC and they actually had to turn off the phones for a bit in some of these offices there because so many people called so obviously a lot of people use TikTok not just for fun, but also for business, artists, creators. There are so many things that ride on top of this. It is an interesting debate to watch. I have my thoughts on TikTok. I think, of course, it's incredible for self expression and to be able to go viral and to build a business, and I know so many people that have done that. But at the same time, you know, there's a lot of junkie junk on there, just like there is any other social media platform. And does TikTok get more information about the American people than any other app out there? No, but you have to wonder where this information is going and how it could be used. So there are some real interesting debatable areas of this whole thing. But we've heard it once before, no doubt we're going to hear this once again. Something to be aware of. Let's go to Janice in Redondo Beach. Janis you're on with Rich, Well, Hi, how's it going? It is going?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 1: What can I help you with?
Speaker 6: I got the new update on my Apple Watch and nothing works the same way as it used to. Is there any way to go back to the version before or somehow learn all the little intricacies of this new update.
Speaker 1: There is no way to go back on the Apple Watch to previous software. Apple does not let you do that easily. Now, yes, is there a way, of course, there's always a way. But is it easy for you, Janie to do this? Probably not unless you have a lot of knowledge about techie stuff and you know, it's just one of those things that Apple is kind of like a one way street. Once you upgrade, you are upgraded. So, yes, everything has changed on the Apple Watch, and I am still annoyed by it myself. When I tech. There's only two buttons on my Apple Watch, and every time I press the wrong button because it's not what I want to do. So here's the best thing to do. Now, do you have an iPhone?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, you've got an iPhone? Obviously you probably do if you've got that. Okay, So the best thing to do is open up There is a books app on the iPhone, and you open up the books app and type in and I hope I'm doing this in real time? I hope, yes, Okay, it is there. So you open up the books app and then you search Apple Watch and this is probably the best kept secret of Apple in the world. But Apple actually posts and creates a really good user guide for every operating system that they come out with, whether it's the one for the Watch, whether it's for the iPhone. And so you search Apple Watch and look for the user guide that has the latest Watch OS, and so I've got to figure out which one that is. But right now I see nine point four. I think the latest Watch OS is ten. Let's see if they've got that, So search that up and of course I'm not seeing Let's see. I got to make sure which Apple Watch, which one it is? The late Yeah, Apple Watch OS ten. So if you go into books and you look for Apple Watch OS, Apple usually publishes a user guide, and so that's what you want to look for, and that's what you want to have as your guide for this. Now I'm looking right now it says Watch OS nine point four, eight point six, five point two. Definitely don't want that one four point three and six point two. So I don't know if they gave up and they just stopped putting these things out, but I'm not seeing the ten just yet, which is kind of odd. Obviously, there are many third party books on the Apple Watch. But what I would do is first search for that Apple Watch user guide no matter what version of Apple Watch you're using. They don't have it just yet, they will soon, but I can tell you the side button and the top button look on the Apple They've run a great Apple Support website where they have a lot of interesting tutorials and things. That's going to be the best way to learn it. Also, YouTube is your friend. Go on YouTube and just search Apple Watch new os or OS ten, and you will see all of the interesting tutorials that people spend a lot of time making that will give you the basics. The basics have changed what the actual buttons do on the watch, but the watch functions in mostly the same way. But I get it. It is frustrating. This is why people don't do software updates, because they are so worried about what it's going to change, and they're worried about being able to operate these things just when they figure it out. Thanks for the call, Jannis. Coming up, digital minimalist Jose Brionez is going to talk about why you might want to ditch your smartphone. You are listening to Rich on Tech. What's going on rich Tomuro here Rich on Tech, welcome back to the show. Joining me now is Jose Brionez. He runs a website called Dumb phone Finder. He is a digital minimalist. Jose, welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 5: Rich, you embraced.
Speaker 1: Digital minimalism a couple of years ago. Tell me why and what that journey's been like.
Speaker 2: So for me, I think the idea is that I was spending too much time online, and that's because I went from one environment to another. So I got out of college, I went to university, and I had a very structure life, going to school, going to work hours, and then going home. But then I went out of that structure life to the life that I had to build myself, and I found myself spending too much of that lifetime online.
Speaker 3: So when I got my first.
Speaker 2: Job, I was spending roughly about twelve to thirteen hours online work and leisure all together. And I did not want to do that. So I started to find alternatives in my life that will allow me to live what I call a better life, a more balanced life, and interact with technology but not be overcome by it.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the first thing you did in this journey I assume was get rid of the smartphone. What tell me about that aspect you switched. What did you try to do, like, what was your goal in Did you try to reduce your time on the smartphone or just get rid of it all together?
Speaker 2: So I think at first I was trying to keep my smartphone and use the tools that are with it, so screen time or other you know, kind of like little hacks. But at some point in time I realized that I am not a smartphone person. If I have something available and I have the technology available to me, I want to use it. If I have a smartphone in my hands, I want to use it.
Speaker 1: I want to.
Speaker 3: Get the most out of it.
Speaker 2: So taking that and going to a simpler phone at the time, I tried a light phone too, which has been my device for the past four years, and it had enough. It had enough things that I liked, I liked the company, and it wasn't perfect, but it had the things that I wanted and appreciate it, and I started to look for alternative ways to do all of the other smart things that I had become accustomed to.
Speaker 1: And real quick I have tested the light phone. It's basically a Kindle like a Kindle screen on a phone. It's really small, it's very minimalistic. It's not a color screen as far as I know, the one I tested wasn't and it's very basic. I mean I had a couple of functions on it. I can't remember everything it did, but you know, you could text on it, you can make phone calls, and I believe Verizon for a while was allowing you to add it as a secondary line, so theoretically you could have your smartphone during the week and then your light phone on the weekends or nights when you go out to dinner. What has been the biggest challenge in trend positioning away from a smartphone?
Speaker 2: I think the biggest challenge for me is that you have to relearn how to operate in the twenty first century but with twentieth century principles.
Speaker 3: So when you go to a restaurant and they have a.
Speaker 2: QR code, you need to ask, hey, can I get a paper menu? Or when you go to the airport, instead of having the QR code ready for you to use and board your plane, you have to be mindful of printing it at home or going to the kiosk and talking to somebody so that you can get those things. And of course navigating that's a new thing, right, Like you know GPS, so we don't have the bulky ones anymore, so you kind of have to go back a couple of years and say, Okay, I'm going to bring this bulky GPS on my car instead of having my phone with Android auto and everything really nicely laid out. It's difficult in the beginning because we're used to all of this convenience, but over time you start finding and you start asking more questions, and you find the alternatives that you need to find for the things that you need to do, and you live normal life as normal as it is. It's definitely simpler and less convenient. But for me at least, it has been quite an improvement in my personal life, my relationships, and my.
Speaker 3: Work as well.
Speaker 1: What have the improvements been.
Speaker 2: I think the main improvement is that I can have a conversation with my wife and not be distracted by the notifications on my phone because I'm not deeply attracted to it anymore.
Speaker 3: Even when we go on a trip.
Speaker 2: I do have a smartphone that I keep for international trips because when.
Speaker 3: I'm international, I don't know the language.
Speaker 2: You know, I may not be able to figure it out all the things that I have figured out here in my local context, but even when we go international, I'm definitely more present, more available, you know, in my personal relationships. I can go to a place and not take my phone and I don't feel wow, oh my gosh, like what's going on in the world out there, because I get to cherish the experiences. When it comes to work, I finish quite faster, you know, just because I don't have a lot of distractions pinging me or grabbing my attention. You kind of remain more focused in your work, and you do it faster, and then you get more time for relaxation and other activities that I want.
Speaker 1: Do you ever feel like you're missing out?
Speaker 2: I do miss out, But I think that's a mindset that you had to accept. I did not start this in order to have the niceties of the twenty first century and the principles of the twentieth century and then you know, kind of like interact back and forth between them. I started this as a lifestyle change. I wanted my lifestyle to change. I wanted to start interacting more with print media. I wanted to kind of have a little bit more of a slower life. So, yes, I am missing out, but I'm okay with that. I have accepted that, and that's one of the hardest parts.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: I've missed out on a couple parties that my friends organized because I'm not in the group message or I don't have that app that everybody has. I missed out on quote unquote posts that are important, and one time I did miss out on some email communication that was pretty prompt.
Speaker 3: It wasn't a super emergency.
Speaker 2: Because this is something that I tell everybody, if it's a true emergency, somebody will find you somehow someway. They will call you, they will get your coworker, they will try to find your family member. Because when it's a real emergency, they will do that.
Speaker 1: You run a website called dumbphones dot org. Tell me about the website and what that helps people do.
Speaker 2: So about three years ago I started this website and the animus or the idea was to help people find their perfect phone. When people hear dumb phones, they usually think, oh, it's an old flip phone, it doesn't have any capabilities, but actually they do. It's just that you know, it's not in the media as much. You don't get the shiny new announcement from Samsung or Apple out there. So if you go to the Dumbphone Finder, you can find the perfect phone for you. So the website just runs different filters and you can explo and it has a lot of other useful resources for people to start the journey.
Speaker 1: What's a dumb phone run these days? And do you have a top pick?
Speaker 2: Yes, I do have three top picks, and they all range from different price points. I think most people associate the sub one hundred dollars, but they can go all the way to three hundred dollars, like the light phone. You know, the light phone is more of a minimal device, you know, something that you really want for a lifestyle change. The Cats twenty two flip is more of the smarter device. You can still have apps and you know, all of the nice city and convenience of the world. That one runs you about seventy nine to one hundred dollars, depending on the condition. You can get them on Amazon. And then something more like in the middle will be a Nokia. You know, there's still Nokia devices out there. The twenty seven to eighty can run you eighty bucks or so, and there is everything in between. You know, different companies are coming out with different concept and I'm really excited about the space growing in the next few years.
Speaker 1: If I'm not ready to give up my smartphone and I'm not ready to get a dumb phone, give me a tip to sort of be more intentional and have less screen time. I'll give you two quick tips.
Speaker 2: The first one is give your screen time password to someone else. So that's one of the biggest things that has helped me. Whenever I go, you know, and I have to use my smartphone for whatever reason, my wife has set up the screen time passcode. So if I try to bypass it, I can't because I don't know the passcode. And if I really want to do it, I'll have to factor reset, and I really doubt you're going to do that.
Speaker 3: The second one is find an app that works for you.
Speaker 2: There's one that is called unpluck with a queue or Brick, which is the Brick app. They both lock you down with physical devices. You tap the physical device and it blocks everything from your smartphone, and if you tap it again, you have access to it again, so you can leave it at home. You can have a relaxed day. You come back, you may not need to have to check email. You tap and then you have access to all of the things again.
Speaker 1: All right, Jose, this has been great. Tell folks how to how to find you online.
Speaker 3: So the best way is to go to the don't phone finder.
Speaker 2: Dombphones dot org is my main website where I run all the things for digital minimalism. I also have a personal website at Jose brionez dot org and you can find email and different ways in there to contact me.
Speaker 1: Jose Brione is a founder of dumbphones dot org. Thanks so much for joining me today. Thank you for having me. All right, I will link up all of Jose's websites on mine. Just go to rich on tech dot tv. Lots to unpack, their lots to think about.
Speaker 5: Could you give up your smartphone?
Speaker 1: Give me a fall Triple eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one. You are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here talking technology at triple A rich one oh one. Phone number for the show is eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. You can also go to the website richon tech dot TV. Hit contact and that will send me a message. Let's go to Rod in Los Angeles. Rod, you're on with Rich. Hey, Rich, you're doing I'm doing great.
Speaker 8: So I use one of the well known anti virus programs, and they're often trying to get me to buy additional services from them, right, And I was kind of wondering if you have any opinion on the value of these things, Like they've got dark wed monitoring, they've got one that's the driver updated, and I think they've got one that does registry updates.
Speaker 1: I think the the dark web stuff might be useful, the registry updates, and what was the other one you mentioned, the driver updates in you're on Windows. Yeah, I mean a lot a lot of that stuff is like built into the operating system, so I wouldn't I wouldn't worry about that too much. Are you having a lot of issues with your computer.
Speaker 8: Other than just slow but it's necessarily small processor and that's really the main thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, so that's the thing. Yeah, So these things sort of prey upon you know, every computer user has issues with you know, whether it's slow startup, whether it's things not working perfectly. So of course, you pay, and you pay, and you pay, and doesn't get any better. So I think that you could probably ignore most of those things. I do think that the when it comes to the actual dark web stuff and all that personal information stuff, that might be worth it because there is surprisingly a lot of information about us on the dark web, and just in general. Have you done the Google results about you yet? Okay? So if you look up Google results about you. This is a free service that Google offers where it will search on the web for public displays of your name, your phone number, your email address, anything like that that's been involved in some sort of data leak or on one of those like data websites like a you know, name shopping website kind of thing, and it will offer to take those down for you. Now, it only takes those down from Google search results. It does not actually take it down from the website. So if you want to take that down from the website, there are tools, probably this Dark Webfinder tool that you're talking about will assist you with that. Mozilla also has one which is called Mozilla Monitor that's brand new. You can check that out and they will help you get things down as well. You can also go through and kind of diyatt too, so you can go through, there's a website just delete Let's see, it's just delete me. And I got to always find this such a bookmark this, but they have if you look up, let's see it's I think it's just delete me DIY. But there's a way if you look up, like you know, any of these websites that offer to sell your information. Towards the bottom of the website, there are instructions for how to opt out of that, so you can do that as well. But those are the things that I would recommend. I also did an article for KTLA about starting the year off with a clean computer, and basically my general steps are to uninstall any programs that you no longer use, look at your web browser any extensions that you no longer use. Obviously, check all of the software updates, whether it's for the system or for the apps, clear your browsing data, and get rid of anything in the trash and that should go a long way to make your computer running better. If The other thing I would check for you is to see sort of what programs are starting up when you start up your computer. So if it's a program that just keeps opening every time you open up your computer. That's using resources. So I would get rid of those as well if you don't need them to open up as soon as you do that. But yeah, these programs, they will sell you on anything, believe me. You know, they make a lot of money. You see them on the news all the time or you know on TV where it's like, hey, you know, speed up your PC? Do they really work? So sometimes they do more damage than they actually help. Let's go to uh Mark, Mark and Lake Elson or Mark you're on with Rich?
Speaker 9: Yeah, Hi, Rich, Hi, I get the cell phone issue. When it's a little coiler there we go like normal. I'm on about the two years of the life of my cell phone. I'm having issues with the screen. I want to upgrade it. I really don't want to spend another thousand bucks for a song for two years. Been shopping for other stuff, and you know, I'm looking at phones for anywhere from one hundred and fifty barks up. If I go with something like a Motorola I think it was a five G five What am I going to lose in quality and stuff versus going with the newer Samsung you know the S series.
Speaker 1: Well, you're going to lose a lot. So Number one, I don't think that everyone needs the Samsung S series of phones, which are you know, Samsung has the premium s, they've got the budget A and then they've got the foldables which are their Z line. So I don't think that anyone needs or that everyone needs the S lineup, you know, the Samsung Galaxy US twenty four, Ultra S twenty four, S twenty four Plus. So I think really what it comes down to when you get these budget phones, it comes down to the processor. It comes down to the quality of the materials. A lot of times they're plastic versus you know, glass and metal. The camera is really where you take a big step back with a lot of these cheap phones. Software not only the blow on there, but also the updates that you get like how long is this phone supported? And also you know the memory, the RAM, so whether it's two gigs or maybe four gigs, you're you're probably gonna get less of that. So my advice when it comes to these budget phones, I would actually go with a brand like OnePlus. So they've got a great series called the Nord series. Have you heard of that?
Speaker 9: No, not at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So this is a this is a company that's a little bit off the radar. A lot of people in the tech world know about it, but the one plus Nord is just a great value. It's like probably the favorite budget phone out of most reviewers out there. So what I like about it is that not only is it less expensive than the big phones, but it's the software is really good, and so I think that's a big advantage here is that your phone is not going to low down. Now, I will say Motorola, I will give it credit. They actually do a pretty good job with the software on their phones because they keep it kind of clean, but I think it ends there, like the cameras on the Motorola phones have really just not been that great, even for their higher end phones. Now, the phone that I would recommend without any hesitation immediately is the Pixel seven A or the Pixel eight And those two phones they're gonna be a little bit more expensive, but I think the reality of those phones, like especially if you got the Pixel eight mark, they are supporting that phone for seven years, so you're talking you would not have to worry. I mean, yeah, is it going to slow down in the next seven years, Probably, But you've got software support for seven years, So do the math if that phone costs you. Now that phone, the Pixel seven A is about five hundred dollars it goes on sale. I would definitely recommend waiting for it to go on sale. The Google phones always do. The Pixel eight is a little bit more expensive. I think it starts at six ninety nine. Let's see how much that is, and I know we're getting up there in the price. Yeah, that's six ninety nine. But again, you know, if you do that math over seven years, that is a pretty good deal. And again that will go on sale. So my advice, look at the OnePlus Nord, look at the Pixel seven A. I think that's overall your best bet for a budget phone that is not going to give you any grief, and it has an incredible camera up and amazing software. Those are my recommendations. But I think that a lot of these budget phones give people more headaches. They save the money in the short term, but they give them more headaches in the long term, So just be aware of those limitations. Great question, Thanks for calling in today from Lake Elson or all right, rich on Tech website, richontech dot TV phone number for the show Triple eight Rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Coming up, I'll tell you about the big Meta outage this week and what in Instagram is doing to upgrade messaging. Welcome back to Rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology at triple eight Rich one O one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Did you survive the big Facebook outage of twenty twenty four? It happened. Uh believe it was this week now now I'm trying to remember. Was it this week?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: It was this week? Yes, sorry, it was Super Tuesday. That's right, Okay, thank you, Bobo. Uh get my weeks mixed up here. So this was a global outage that lasted over two hours. Everyone was freaking out. It actually started with my mom. She texted me and said I can't log into my Facebook and I said that's odd, and then the flood of message I mean, I'm talking everyone emailed me and was like, Rich, what's going on. I can't get onto Facebook marketplace, I can't get onto Instagram. I can't do this. And I said, well, why are you emailing me? What can I do about this? But that was enough to set the wheels in motion for me to figure out what was going on, which you know, looking at the Facebook status pages, the meta status pages, and yeah, it was. It was a big outage. Everyone of course wondered was it due to hacking, was it due to cybersecurity. There was lots of reports of various things. You know, they've got three billion users for Facebook, Instagram, Meta Quest, WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger. There are so many people that use this stuff, and everyone went to Twitter. That's where people went. Everyone went to Twitter to complain and to talk about it. Of course, Twitter owner Elon Musk took a job at Meta saying, if you're if you're reading this, our plur if you're if you're seeing this, our servers are working. And you know, the funny thing is that Twitter probably had the most issues back in the day when they were just starting that they had this thing called the fail whale, and whenever Twitter wasn't working, you would just see this picture of a whale that was failed. And that happened probably the most out of any platform I can remember. But the difference now is that these platforms are bigger and bigger and bigger, Like we saw with the AT and T outage huge affects large swaths of people because these companies keep getting bigger, so when they go down, more people are affected. So what was this all about? A technical issue? They said, some sort of software technical issue caused it, and that's it. There's nothing you can do. You can't file your grievances because it's all free now. Instagram did roll out some major updates to their messaging this week, so a couple things to know. Number One, if you send a direct message to someone, you now have fifteen minutes to edit that message, which is kind of cool. So just press and hold on the message. You'll get a little edit icon. You can tap that just like I message. You can edit that message for fifteen minutes. And you can now pin up to three chats for quick access up at the top of your messaging you know the messaging screen on Instagram, So if you always message no your partner or your group or whatever, you can pin those to the top, press and hold press the pin. I don't know if that is available just yet, but it is coming soon, so go into your messaging and just let's see if I can do that. Nope, not there just yet. I think you have to swipe on them to do it. It's not available on my app just yet. And then the other thing is read receipts. So you know how when you look at someone's you send someone a message in that you see that little scene at the bottom where it says they saw the message. You can turn off that ability for someone to see if you've read their message. You can go into your read you can go into your messaging settings, and so how do you do that? Go to your profile, Tap the three lines in the upper right hand corner, Tap settings in privacy, tap messages and story replies, tap show read receipts, and you can toggle that off. I know that's a lot, but if you want to see those instructions, just go to my Instagram and look for the one that says new Instagram feature. You can now turn off read Receipts. The downside to this, if you toggle this off, it's a two way street. If you toggle off read Receipts, you will no longer be able to see when people read your messages. So they kind of made that as an incentive for you to leave it on, because you can't sneak around Instagram thinking, oh, nobody could see when I read my messages, but I'll see when other people read them. Uh huh, doesn't work that way. Let's go to Let's go to Jenny, Jenny and San Diego. You're on with Rich Hi there.
Speaker 4: I'm going to France and Netherlands next month, and I just got new phones from Spectrum which they do not have an international plan, and I'm on TEAE with them, so I don't believe that I can use an ETHM. So I've been looking online for different like pocket Wi Fi, like hip pocket and some other things on Amazon, and I was just wondering if you had any you're familiar with hip pocket, or if you have maybe there's something else I'm not thinking of.
Speaker 1: So hip Pocket is a is a Wi Fi rental. I'm actually not familiar, but I've heard of the the you know the way this works. These used to be very very popular. So you rent the Wi Fi over in Europe and then they ship it to you here in the US, so you have it before you get there.
Speaker 4: Yes, you can either do that or you can like reserve it and when you get to the airport, or they'll send it to your hotel. But I have enough time where they could ship it to my house and then when I get there, me and my husband, you know, to connect on it because it said it could connect it to like kid devices.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a hot spot, so it'll you know, it'll connect any of the devices that you know, just like any other hot spot. So I'm looking at their plans, so you can get a fourteen day rental plan which includes delivery to the US. So it seems like the more you pay, the more they'll deliver it to the US. Right, So if you're getting like the cheaper plan, you have to get it delivered to your European hotel, which I personally think that would be a pain to do because you're going to want your connectivity from the airport the second lang yep, yep.
Speaker 4: Because you're going to have to, like if you're going to do uber or exactly figure out where you're going and things like that.
Speaker 1: So I'd rather have it at your house, you know. So it looks like for fourteen days rental in Europe, they're looking at ninety six euros, which is probably what a little bit about one hundred dollars in US dollars.
Speaker 4: That would actually cheaper than when we had Verizon. They would charge you ten dollars a day, you know, So it's expensive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it is. So there's a couple of other ways. Well, so what I used when I went to Europe, I tested a product called Solace Wi Fi s O l I s H. But this is something that you purchase, and so that's the so that these Wi Fi rental hotspots used to be super popular, Like any country you went to, there used to be one hundred different companies that would rent these things out. That has gotten way less over the years because people have hot spots on their phone, they have the e sims, they have the international calling plans, so those are all things that have have lessened this product. So while I can't vouch for the hip pocket Wi Fi, it's definitely an idea that has been around for a long time and it's been very successful. I have done it in the past. The company that I used in the past is no longer around due to these you know, it's just the demand for this is not as great as it used to be.
Speaker 4: Okay, And then what if I have a phone that that when I replaced it, I have like an old note Sansung Note twenty that's unlocked. It's and I don't know if if I don't know, should I or I could take that.
Speaker 1: There, Yeah, use that as a hotspot and use.
Speaker 4: That and then use that phone as a hotspot for our phone.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: That that's just I thought of that and I wasn't sure if if that would work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that'll work. I would do that. So if you have that old phone, I mean that's a you have a note, that's a pretty big battery on there, So that's gonna work pretty well. Uh yeah, I don't I don't see any problem with doing that. So you set up the phone. What I would do is I would format that phone, like I would clear it out, like I would do a factory reset so that there's nothing on it. Set it up fresh, you know, get the E sim on it. I like RL A I R A l O. There are others. But you can get that. You can get a you probably want a pretty big allotment on there, and then you can flip that into a hot spot. The only thing is that's going to be just a little bit trickier, and that's going to be a little bit more unknown and a little bit uncharted than the hippo. So the Hippo is giving you one hundred megabits. Let's see if high speed four g l t E unlimited internet and unlimited data in Europe, so you're getting unlimited for about one hundred dollars. You know, travel is expensive to begin with. I think one hundred dollars is pretty reasonable. Are you going for more than fourteen days?
Speaker 4: No, they're going out just under okay, twelve days.
Speaker 1: I mean I think that this little hippo thing is probably a pretty nice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just put I'm kind of leaning towards but I just I'm so glad I got to talk to you because IVE been thinking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just I would. My only thing is I would I would try to find some real reviews. I'm just looking at the website, which looks legitimate and it looks fine. I would just try to find some real reviews from people on you know, maybe search, you know, just search the web for some good reviews from like actual travelers that you trust, people that run a decent blog, and just make sure that this is legitimate. But it seems like it is, and I love the fact that they will deliver it here to the US. You have it, you get off the plane, you turn it on, your phone's are already linked up to it and it works. I've had a couple of trips in the past, Jenny, where I've landed and my phone does not work, and it is the most frustrating thing you could ever imagine. That trip from the airport to the hotel is probably the longest trip of your life when that's happening. So make sure this works. But I think that's a good way to do it. And the other phone would work as a hot spot, but it's a little bit more involved, and I would say it's probably not worth the headache, to be honest, because.
Speaker 4: It's it's kind of an older phone. Yeah, all right, well, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: All right, Jenny, thanks for the call, and have fun. I'm jealous. We've been trying to plan a trip to the dream trip to Paris and London with the kids, and it's a lot. You know, travel it's expensive. I used to travel when I was coming out to California, when I was just myself, it was one ticket. It turns out when you have a family of four and you're traveling, you're buying four tickets and that's just the entry price. Travel gets very very expensive when you have a family, and believe me it is. Travel is not cheap, so enjoy it, have a great time, and stay connected. All right. Eighty eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Give me a call if you have a question about technology. Coming up, I'm going to tell you about the new website that lets you search old newspapers. Very cool. You are listening to rich on tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you talking technology at triple eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Let's go to uh Craig in Des Moines, Iowa. Craig, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 10: Yea, that's how you're doing Rick.
Speaker 1: I'm doing great.
Speaker 10: I have a Dawnton S twenty four, one of the new phone, and I want to know, Yeah, I can get the website like poor emudgency, like the enderware or whatever the phone got.
Speaker 1: Oh good question.
Speaker 10: I don't have the one with the dialist Okay, so't have that one. I have the little one.
Speaker 1: You've just got a standard Samsung S twenty four, which is a great phone, brand new. It's it's uh you know, it's the smaller of the Samsung's. So the Samsung devices, they're actually lagging a little bit in this emergency area, which is not very good. So if you look at the iPhone, they've got not only the newest models, have emergency satellite service, so if you are in the middle of nowhere and you need help and there's no cellular, they will use satellite to get you help. That's incredible. But they also have fall detection and they've got car crash detection. So those are some really useful things that will help you get help in an emergency. Now, the Pixel does not have this. That's Google's phone. They do not have the satellite service, although it's rumored that it is coming soon to the Pixel, perhaps with the next model. But they do have car crash detection, and so if you're in a car in a crash, it will attempt to dial nine one one. And the Watch also has fall detection. So when it comes to Samsung, they have something called Emergency SOS and that is it basically. But as far as I know, none of this is automatic, and so that is the thing that you need to know is that you can set up the emergency SOS feature on the Samsung, but it's not gonna be automatic and it doesn't have satellite, so you are going to be at the mercy of the cellular networks. So to set this up, go into settings Safety and Emergency and look for something. There's a couple of things that you want to fill out. Number one your medical info. Number two your emergency contacts. Number three emergency SOS. Get familiar with that, and that involves turning on the feature and when you press the side button five times in emergency, it will call the emergency number and it will send an SOS to your emergency contacts. And then the other thing they have is called emergency Sharing, and so emergency Sharing is another feature on the Samsung that will share your location another info with your emergency contacts if you need help. So you can share with your emergency contacts that you set up earlier, and it will actually share a picture of your front and rear cameras and include them the message and also a five second of audio if you ever need to activate that feature. So it's not as automatic as some of the other phones, but that's the feature that you get. I think that because Apple has had this SOS feature now for two years on the last two phones they've put out, the iPhone fourteen and the iPhone fifteen. That is a huge feature. And there are some third party products that would give you that feature, notably the Motorola Defy satellite link. But the problem with that is the company that makes it is I believe they filed bankruptcy. They licensed the Motorola name from them, and I think the company that puts this out is trying to reorganize or something. So the fate of that product is up in the air right now. So where does that leave you, Craig. That leaves you with setting up the emergency SOS feature once again. Go into settings, look for safety and emergency and just go through all of those settings and get that set up because that is very important to have that on. Great question. Thanks for the call today from des Moines, Iowa. I always feel like I'm gonna say des Moin wrong because it's looks like des Moines. All right. My Heritage has launched a new website. This is pretty cool. It's called oldnews dot com. This helps you explore historical newspapers. They have scanned millions of newspapers from various countries, including the US, and you can search for them. You can search a name, you can search an event, you can search all kinds of stuff. I've had a lot of fun with this website. This week, I searched my own name. I found an article about myself from two thousand and seven in some newspaper from Maine. I was on the Today Show showing off an antenna actually our guests last week, and you know, we were talking about anyway, there's an article about how that went viral back in the day and they were selling out. But it's cool because it shows you the actual newspaper article and it highlights your search term in yellow, so you can see what it looked like on the page. You can download that newspaper page. And what's this good for? This is good for obviously ancestry reasons. You want to look up obituaries, you want to look up birth announcements, you want to look up events. You want to look up your hometown. You want to look up your high school, anything that happened in your hometown when you were young. It's really cool, it's really good. I don't know how thorough it is with the newspapers, but it looks like it has a lot. It is not free, but they do offer a free seven day trial, so if you want to try it out, I recommend signing up for that and canceling immediately so that you don't get charged, no surprises, and then if you want to later on you can sign up. If it's really amazing, you can sign up for an annual plan. The problem is they don't offer a monthly plan. They only offer an annual plan. It is ninety nine dollars for the year, twenty five percent off for the first year. Again, the website is oldnews dot com. You can find a link on my website go to richontech dot tv. All right, coming up, we're going to talk the future of streaming TV and why you should download an app called VLC. You are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you talking technology. Triple eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. We've got some lines open, so if you have a question about technology, give me a call. If you want to link to something I mentioned, just go to richon Tech dot TV. Yanco Rutgers is author of the low Pass newsletter. He has written about TV and our changing world and streaming for many many years now. Uh Janko, welcome to the show. So tell me about the newsletter real quick. What do you write about.
Speaker 11: I write about a VA streaming, all the fun stuff that's basically on the intersection of technology and entertainment.
Speaker 1: It's so wild because you know, I just find got my hands on the Vision Pro in my home and I watched an episode of Hijack, like an Apple TV show, and it was quite incredible. Like I was like looking at people's faces and stuff. I'm like, this is like extremely clear and vivid and pretty amazing. It's just so darn expensive that it's like, are people going to experience this anytime soon?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 11: It's a I think it's gonna stay a small, small footprint device for some time to come until they come out with somebody said the vision on Pro.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we were debating names today. Maybe it's gonna be like Vision Vision plus Vision Pro. So we'll see. But they need they need different pricing tiers for sure. Let's talk about the story this week. I always know something's the story when people email me A bunch and a lot of people are very upset about this Roku situation. I guess they saw a message on their screen that said, we have some new terms of service and people just figure, you know, you can cancel out of it. You couldn't, You couldn't proceed unless you accepted this.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and all companies do this all the time. But they sort of revised the terms of service, or in this case, it was sort of the dispute resolution terms, basically saying you can't sue Roku, but they decide to put it front and center and you had to agree to it right then and there on the TV screen, and that ended up being a major hazard for many people because you know, if you build up your TV system, maybe you have a sound Ball, maybe every Universe or remote, maybe even use the other device to reallydo all your streaming and connected Xbox, and you don't even touch the Roker remote anymore. So some people didn't have the remote anymore, and then they couldn't agree to this, and they couldn't access any of their other stuff anymore either. They've basically been stuck for like days in this weird limbo of having to agree to these terms that they can't agree to. So they really messed up how their world is out.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I didn't realize that aspect of it that people were you know, yeah, that's so true. Like if you didn't if you don't have your remote handy, if you're using like a third party device and all of a sudden, this pops up on your screen and you just want to be like, please dismiss, you know, like you want to use your voice or something. But that's wild. Now people were saying, you know, I saw an article that says the only way to opt out is to write Roku's lawyers a letter. Do you think that's worth it?
Speaker 9: Here?
Speaker 1: I mean, is there any reason why someone's going to sue Roku? Like they don't like to show they're watching and they want their money back.
Speaker 5: I mean, so here's the thing about this.
Speaker 11: Roku is a streaming device maker and now they make TVs as well, but they make all the money with the advertising and with the advertising that comes from downsides when it comes to like profiling collecting data on people. So sometimes people do get upset about it. And there's try lawyers obliviously who want to make money with that, collect make class action lawsuits. And this was all about Rocu saying no, you can't do a class action lawsuit against us for any of those things because you have to go into arbitration. And again, a lot of companies do that. You know, maybe it's not the greatest thing for consumers, but it's just the wealthy we live in today.
Speaker 5: But in this case, they just messed up the role up.
Speaker 1: Ah, that makes sense, okay, because they do collect a lot of data. Speaking of data, So Walmart bought Visio and Visio actually I feel like they had a big class action lawsuit over their data collection practices a while back, So this is a big data play, right, Like Walmart, why are they buying Visio.
Speaker 11: It's basically the same story for Visio and Roku, all these companies that make relatively affordable TV. So you can go into a store right now and you can buy like a fifty five inch TV for three hundred bucks, which is insane, right because ten years ago you had to spend ten x as much. So TV prices have gone down completely. They're not making money on hardware anymore. Everybody's making money on advertising. As soon as you turn these things on as ads on the home screen, you get a lot of free channels on there. All of them have advertising, any third party ads or do any of those TVs has to share ad revenue or slots with them. So that's where the money is. And that's why Walmart also wants again and they want to grow more revenue. They don't just want to sell your stuff, but they want to then have a way to make money with that stuff that they already sold you every month for years to come, and TVs are a good, good avenue for that, so that's why they wanted to get into this space.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's pretty wild. I don't think people realize just how much these TVs collect. I mean, everything's a smart TV now and they're all collecting so much data that is monetized and you know Roku and all these things, like they make a cut on even the streaming services that they have on there, like you think I downloaded you know, HBO Max or whatever, like they have these deals that they somehow get a little piece of the action for ads that are even served up on these third party services.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that's right, and I mean, to be fair, it's the only way that can make money. And we all like GPS, right, so that's the downs that we have to accept with that. And to be fair, if you buy a really expensive TV, if you go out and buy Samson TV for two thousand dollars, it's still gonna have the same ads on there, it's still gonna have the same services, and it's still going to collect this type of data. Now, some of these team makeers, you can actually opt out of some personalization.
Speaker 5: If you google that.
Speaker 11: There's articles that tell you how to opt out of a lot of the data collection. You're still going to you know, there's still some service level profile. You never can completely opt out of it unless you like go back to DVD's correct you over the antenna basically.
Speaker 5: But that's just the world we live in these days.
Speaker 1: And I guess you could disconnect it from Wi Fi if you're not using it as your you know, primary uh streaming service like my tea. I just got a TV and I opted out of all of the uh, you know, the data collection stuff. But they make it sound really scary. They make it sound like your TV is not going to work, you know, like we make your experience better and we make sure you know. They they at one point tried to sell me on they scan what you're watching to adjust the TV picture to look its best or something, and I'm like, oh, come on, like give me a break. Okay. So Max is the latest to say they are going to crack down on password sharing. This has gotten really bad, I mean really sad for us, well people who people have been sharing their passwords for a long time, and I know a lot of families and households and things. You know, no one ever enforced it, and now they're enforcing it in a pretty big way. And Max is the latest to do this. When's that starting.
Speaker 11: They haven't put a firm data on it, but they have said later this year and possibly up into twenty twenty five.
Speaker 5: And it's all because Netflix.
Speaker 11: Was the first company to come up with this, and obviously they have the biggest streaming company, they have the biggest footprint, so they also were at some point seeing, oh, accounts aren't beingly growing anymore in the US, but people are still obviously streaming a lot of a lot of different households, so they start to experiment with it, and actually it turned out to be really successful for it. Netflix added like thirty million around thirty million subscribers last year, which was like almost ten million more than the year before, primarily because of this aicond sharing stuff. So now everybody else is trying to do it as well. Disney is trying to do it, Hulu is trying to do it. I think YouTube with their premium so has started. Now Max is going to be the next one. It's somewhat under standable. I think for these companies they do have to make money somehow, but I think it really comes down to how they implement it. With Netflix, you can decide to either like spin someone out, so if somebody is used your account and they have profile data and then they're like, oh, okay, I guess I have to pay now. They can actually take so all the stuff that you're collected in the past, like they're watch listens of what to that new account, which is quite quite nice. And you can also decided, you know, if it's your parents and they're maybe not technical savvy and they don't want to set up there on Netflix account, you can pay to keep them on your account.
Speaker 5: That's a pretty way to do it.
Speaker 11: I don't know the details and how Max is going to do that, and I think the devil is always in the detail on how they rule it out, how they frame it and really how consumer affact did they make it?
Speaker 1: So in your newsletter this week We've just got about a minute to go, you mentioned you kind of had a deep dive on this app that is kind of the Swiss Army Knife of video apps called VLC. So why do you think someone should learn about VLC and download that app?
Speaker 5: App?
Speaker 11: It helps with playing anything that you might have on your heart drive, any old family videos, any videos you may have downloaded somewhere years ago and you can't really quite figure it out. It can play any video file, basically any music file. It's just a really good thing to have, and it has been downloaded five billion times. It's available fourmacs, four PCs, so people have a Linux system. It's mobile apps spread so basically anywhere. It can play everything. It's always a good thing to have in your back pocket.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's always been something that I've had downloaded, and it's surprising sometimes. I mean I think it's even available for like iOS and Android right right, right right, so you can it's just yeah, like all those weird formats that like maybe you have like in your Google drive somewhere that you're like, how do I open this? Like nine times out of ten. It just figures it out exactly. And is it open source?
Speaker 11: That program it's free, it's open source, and it's basically one of the most popular open source projects ever. Point it's around, been around for twenty years. They just had a big open source community around that supported it. Yeah, and that's been going strong.
Speaker 1: And the it's like video land player, I think, like the website is a little bit it's like video land dot org. So don't get thrown off by the website. But it's VLC is the media player. All right? Tell folks how they can find the newsletter.
Speaker 11: It is lowpass dot CC, so that's l Owpass dot CC and otherwise you can also just google it, all right.
Speaker 1: Yanco Rutgers, author of the low Pass newsletter, thanks so much for joining me today anytime, all right, more of your calls coming up next at triple eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. I'll tell you what's new with Rivian and what's new with iOS seventeen point four. You are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you talking technology at triple eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Let's go to h. Richard in Lancaster. Richard, you're on with rich.
Speaker 12: Hello rich Hi, thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what can I help you with?
Speaker 12: Okay, I have a Window seven computer and I need to get security software. Do you have one that you recommend?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 1: What do you what do you mean by security software?
Speaker 12: Well, like I've been using McCafe okay.
Speaker 1: So like antivirus kind of software. Yeah, oh okay, so Windows seven. You've had this computer for a while huh yes, and you're not you're not ready to give this up?
Speaker 5: Huh correct?
Speaker 1: Why is that just curious?
Speaker 12: Well, because it satisfies my needs for what I do on the computer. First of all, I won't tell you. I don't do any banking or online purchases on it. Just search the internet.
Speaker 1: Okay. Now I'm curious because I don't have a Windows seven system anymore. But does like Chrome and all these are I mean, what do you use like your web browser? And is it still supported with updates?
Speaker 12: It notifies me that it will not accept Windows.
Speaker 1: Seven also, Okay, I was curious because I'm looking at this, so there's a good website endof life dot date and I'm looking up Windows seven, Windows seven Service Pack one, so let's see it was released, Oh my gosh, this was released thirteen years ago. The software support active support ended, let's see here ended nine years ago, and then security support ended four years ago, so not too bad with that. But that means that this computer has not gotten any active software updates with relation to you know, software, but also more importantly security for four years. So what does that mean. I'm sure you're aware, but that means that any exploit that has been found with this software could be used and there's no patch available for that as of this point because the security updates ended on January fourteenth, twenty twenty. So it's a good it's a good idea to eventually upgrade this and to start planning for that upgrade, mostly because you know, you don't want to be put in a position where someone is able to access everything on this computer or can exploit some sort of security issue with this system that is that is in the ut wild. So what happens is anytime you have software that's been around for a long time, it's no longer actively supported. You know, there's there's forums and things that percolate with this information and people know like, hey, this is a known exploit of this software, let's find machines that are running it, and let's actively, you know, explore it. So with that said, I did a quick search of antivirus. So the way I usually look up antivirus software as I go to avdash test dot org. I like their ratings of antivirus software and a vast is typically highly rated, and I searched a VAST for Windows seven, and it turns out they say this is They actually have a whole landing page set up for this. It says, protect your Windows seven PC with a VAST free antivirus. Microsoft no longer supports Windows seven, but a VAST does. Our top rated antivirus protection will stay fully updated on Windows seven, and that is a free download. A Vast obviously has paid services, but you can get the free service as well. So I would probably say go for that and download it. And in fact, they have a whole fact on this page faq is Windows seven still safe to use? And it says Microsoft doesn't provide updates anymore? How do I protect Windows seven from viruses? But I would go with this, So a VAST Windows seven antivirus looks like it's still supported, but I would again think about getting this system updated in the near future. So good question, Richard. I understand there's a lot of hesitation to upgrade things, but because they people want things to work the way they've always worked, and if it's working for you, why not. But you have to remember that there are people that are looking for these exploits, so keep yourself protected there. Thanks for the question. Triple eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Rob says, I'm an Android user from day one. My oldest daughter now works for Apple and her position involves travel to China, so she purchased an iPhone fifteen Promax for me for Christmas and she would like me to switch over, as any good daughter that works for Apple would. Is there any app that will transfer my text messages and associated foot potos from my Samsung to the iPhone without losing the texts and the photos. Apple actually makes their own app called move Let's see. It's called Move to iOS and you can download it on the Android device. So if you go on the Google Play Store, you can download move to iOS on that device. It will create an ad hoc Wi Fi network that the iPhone will then latch onto and transfer all of your stuff. So what will it transfer? Let's see it will transfer. I got to find the information here, message history, contacts, camera photos, videos, photo albums, files and folders, accessibility settings, display settings, bookmarks, mail accounts, WhatsApp calendars if they're available on both Google Play and the App Store. Some of your free apps will also transfer, so this is probably your best bet. That is the official way move to iOS app. If you want some unofficial ways, there are some apps Doctor Phone, dr Phone, Foe from wonder Share. We'll also do something similar in an app called any trans a n Y t r A n S. These are probably just a little bit more full featured, a little bit more robust when it comes to what you can transfer and the control that you get. The Apple one is going to be very basic. It's just going to move things over and it's going to be a very basic way to do that. But there you have it. Three good options. But hey, kudos to you for having such an awesome daughter to work for Apple and get to travel to China. That is super cool, very very cool. All right, speaking of iOS iOS, seventeen. Update this week new Emoji podcast transcripts, So if you have iOS seventeen, you can download it for the iPhone ten s and later. Those are the phones that are supported. There's new emoji. I don't get excited about these, but you can do a mushroom, a lime shaking head. Apple podcast now has transcripts, So if you want to follow along with a show like mine, search rich on Tech and you can see the full transcript of the show. And if you're interested in your battery health in the settings, you can now see more information about your battery cycle count, manufactured date, and first use. That's only for the iPhone fifteen and fifteen pro eighty to eight Rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four to one zero one. More rich on Tech coming your way right after this. Welcome to another hour of rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology at Triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Coming up this hour, we're gonna talk about the Rivian. This is a hot car, the Rivian R two. I was at the launch event this week in Laguna Beach, which by the way.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 1: There was a TV show, what was it, Laguna Hills or Laguna Beach Laguna Hills that I actually watched at one point, and I still didn't realize how beautiful that area was. It's really really nice down there. It took me a couple hours to get home from there, so that was, yeah, not easily. I guess you can't get there very easily if you're driving in the afternoon rush hour after a long day. But with that said, it was amazing. Let's see talk about tech. I'm gonna tell you how you can get ESPN Plus included if you have Spectrum TV. At this point, the FCC is warning that the Affordable Connectivity program is coming to a close, and oh my gosh, I have a list of stuff. I've got literally one hundred things still to tell you, so we'll try to get through as much of that as possible. The website for the show rich on Tech dot tv. If you need a link to something I mentioned, and while you're at it, go ahead and follow me on Instagram at rich on tech is where you can find me. I often post a lot of stuff in my stories throughout the week that will end up making its way to this show and the newsletter. The newsletter is available. It's free. I sent out my third issue today, So if you listen to the earlier part of the show, at the beginning, I talked about vision Pro. That was a lot of that was in my newsletter. So just go to richon tech dot TV and look for the newsletter pop in your email address. It is free and I will send you a little updates throughout the week. Let's go to Kathy in Denver, Colorado. Kathy, you're on with Rich Rich.
Speaker 13: Thank you so much for taking my call. And I want to thank one of your prior callers, also named Rich, because he asked you a question about Windows seven and some antivirus software. I too have a Windows seventh laptop and I wanted to find out if I can upgrade it or if I just need.
Speaker 7: To go out and buy a whole new laptop. So that's my question.
Speaker 8: I wasn't I'm just not sure what to do next to get it upgraded.
Speaker 7: Can I upgrade it?
Speaker 1: It probably is upgradeable, but it's probably not easy at this point. So it was free to upgrade these computers. Let's see, I'm trying to see let's see a Microsoft's free upgrade offer ended on July twenty ninth, twenty sixteen, so it's been a while. Let's see the installation path to obtain the Windows seven eight free upgrade is now removed as well. Upgrades to Windows eleven from Windows ten are still free, so it doesn't look like it's free anymore. It also, when you go into your settings, does it allow you to update or no, to say, doesn't say Windows ten or eleven anymore?
Speaker 13: Huh no it doesn't.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so don't paying for it. I just didn't know if I could update, you know, update my current Lenovo, or whether I have to spend the bigger bucks and go buy a new laptop, or whether the constant of being about the same.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I let's see here. So Windows seven to Windows ten upgrade take place in your existing device, although Microsoft recommends using Windows ten on a new PC to take advantage of the latest features and security improvements. So that is the main thing. I think with Windows ten, they introduce some new security like some there's like two types of computers, some that take advantage of these new security systems and some that do not. So the older computers are not and so that's probably where yours is going to fall into that category. So my advice, if you can, I would say it's probably a good idea to get a new computer. Does that mean you can't upgrade from Windows seven to Windows ten or eleven? No, But is it going to run very well on your computer? Probably not. You're looking at a computer that is pretty old at this point, and so these modern operating systems, you know, they take a lot of resources, and so I just don't know if it would be the best experience to do that. With that said, if you want to go ahead and try it, you can, and you probably will have to pay, So I will post the instructions on you know where to look to do that on the website in the show notes rich on tech dot TV. That's probably where i'd go. But I think at this point it's, you know, again, you're talking something that's very, very many years out of date. And I know that a lot of people did not want to go to Windows ten at the time because they were happy with Windows seven, and there were some holdouts. But at this point, Windows ten, Windows eleven is the way of the world for Windows and it's probably a good idea to either get the modern machine that can handle that, or see if your machine can upgrade through the Windows website. So I will post the link on that when I have a little bit more time to get that for you not live on air here. Thanks so much for the call. Kathy in Denver, Colorado. Do appreciate that if you have ESPN or if sorry, if you have a Spectrum TV, if you're paying for Spectrum TV, you can now get ESPN Plus included at no extra cost. So, I don't know if you remember, a couple months ago, I announced that Disney Plus was free for Spectrum TV customers. So now they're doing the same thing with ESPN Plus. They said they were going to do this, and now they're actually doing it. So if you have a Spectrum TV Select, then you can get this ESPN Plus. So ESPN Plus what does it have? It's usually ten dollars a month, ten ninety nine a month, as over thirty thousand live events, UFC, NHL games, college sports, just a whole bunch of stuff to watch if you like sports. So how do you get this? You have to go to the website Spectrum dot com slash ESPN Plus and just like the Disney Plus and the Disney Plus is still that offer still stands as well. So if you go to Spectrum dot com slash Disney Plus you can get that. But ESPN and it looks like it's the plus sign. It's just kind of weird. Let me just make sure. I just want to be sure that I'm sending you to the right website. Let's see here, ESPN YEP, ESPN and then the plus sign after it. So ESPN Plus it says now available with your Spectrum Plan start. If you're on the Spectrum TV Select Plus plan, you can sign in with your ESPN Plus account. And I would read all of the questions and answers before you do this, because there is some confusion if you're already paying for it. If you already have a sign in, you're gonna need both sign ins. You're gonna need your Spectrum sign in and you're also gonna need your ESPN Plus account. So just read through everything before you embark on this. But if you're paying ten nine a month and you're also paying for Spectrum, you might as well get it. So it's a nice thing they've been doing there. Speaking of internet, FCC is saying the Affordable Connectivity Program funding is out and that program is going to end. So I don't know if you remember this, but this was during the pandemic. They rolled out this thing called the Affordable Connectivity Program and they put a bunch of money into it, and they were giving out discounts on your monthly internet to eligible households. It was thirty dollars a month discount and it was if you were on different government programs, you would qualify for this program. So a lot of people took advantage of it, and now that funding has dried up, and so according to their surveys, they said more than two thirds of ACP households had inconsistent or no connectivity prior to enrolling in the program, and more than three quarters will have a service disruption if the program ends. So what's going to happen is all the people that were on this program, they are going to pay either thirty dollars more a month, which is going to bring their bill up, or they're not going to be able to continue because they're not going to be able to pay this. So what's happening, Well, there are some senators and representatives that have introduced the Affordable Activity Program Extension Act, which would give an additional seven billion dollars in funding for this program, but they have stopped accepting new applications and the last fully funded program month is April. So at the end of April, there will be some surprises for people in May, either their bill will pop up or they will have to cancel this. But I have a feeling that there will be a continuation to this program, just because it is such a big program. The phone Affordability program has been going on for a while and now they've got this Internet. It's one of those things where you know, you've got to get people on both sides to agree to say yes, and it does help a lot of people. And I believe the funding is through other people's bills. Don't quote me on that one, but I think that the funding for these programs comes from the people that pay their bills, and there's like an extra couple of dollars a month. I don't know. I don't you know what strike from the record on Usher if that's true, but I think that's how they do it. All right. Let me tell you about this cool app called clean my Phone. So if you have an iPhone and you've got all these pictures on it that are always cluttering up your storage. Everyone's always asking me for a way to declutter and optimize the storage on iOS. So this is a new app called clean my Phone. It evolved from Gemini Photos, another popular app I recommend it for many years, that was launched in twenty eighteen, but this one is kind of a new version of that. So what it'll do is scan your camera role for duplicates, blurry images, screen recordings, and anything else that might be unnecessary. Uses AI, oh there's that keyword AI to analyze and organize photos into folders based on themes or subjects. Whether you need it or not, I don't know. And then it has a it's kind of weird. It's got a network module which lets you test your Internet connection speed inside the app. So the app, again is called clean my Phone. I expect it to be very, very popular. It is twenty five dollars for the year, but they did a three day free trial and I did download it. I did sign up for the twenty five dollars for the year, but again you just cancel as soon as you sign up and you can still use it for those three days. You could do a lot of cleaning in three days if you want to organize your camera role. So again, it comes from a trusted publisher called MacPaw, who I like very much. They're actually based in Ukraine. They develop a lot of software. Another program I like called Clean my Mac. Now they are making clean my Phone. So if you want to download that, I'll put it in the show notes. Rich on Tech dot tv is the place to look for the show notes. All right, let's give you the phone number one more time, eight eight eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one, the website rich on tech dot tv. Coming up, we are going to talk about the Rivian R two launch. Seventy thousand reservations for this new electric car overnight. I'll tell you why so many people are liking it. That's coming up right here on rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology at triple eight rich one on one eighty eight seven four to two, four one zero one. The website rich on tech dot tv. You can hit contact and send in your messages. I'll get to the feedback segment at the end of the show. So if you have a comment about something that was mentioned here. Submit it now, go to the website richontech dot TV, hit contact and I will read it at the end of the show. You can also submit your questions, which a lot of you do. Let's see Shamika says, I need to know the best audio transcribing device for a conference room to record then type texts, to word documents to take notes. Well you're in. Look, there's lots of ways to do this these days, especially thanks to AI transcription tools. I will tell you my favorites. So number one, I mean, the easiest thing you can do nowadays. I mean, there used to be apps like Otter otter ai, o t t er Ai and that app would transcribe things for you, and you know, but it was only give you like a certain amount of free every month. But now the new phones have a lot of transcription built in. So if you have a Samsung, the latest SAMSUNGS, the S twenty three, the S twenty four will give you transcription built into the recorder app. The latest Pixels also give you transcription built into the recorder app on those phones. iPhone does not have built in transcription, but you can use the audio app on the iPhone to record the meeting and then you can transcribe it using one of these tools. So on Mac, my favorite tool is called mac whisper. And on Windows, oh my gosh, I'm trying to remember I the name of the app is evading me right now, But there is an app on Windows that will give you the transcription as well. I'll think of that in a second. But those there's also another app called descript D E S c R I P T, and descript will give you transcription as well. If you have a membership to Office three sixty five, there's actually a tool inside Office, inside word that will let you upload an audio file and it will transcribe it there for you. So there are many, many ways to transcribe things, and so many of them are free, and so many of them are really good because of because of the AI systems that they use on the back end. Oh, here it is. It's called buzz Buzz. So buzz is in an It's powered by open AI's Whisper, which is a same one that mac whisper does. But I'm not kidding. Transcription used to be such a chore and it used to be so expensive. I now transcribe every single thing that I do, every interview that I do, all my radio shows, all the podcasts, anything, if I'm in a meeting, I will just record it and transcribe it because it's so easy and it's so simple now, and then you can just throw that transcription into AI and it will summarize it for you. And some of the phones, like I mentioned the Pixel and the Samsung, they will summarize that for you as well. So so many ways to do that and it's just gotten so much, so much easier. Story this week about thieves using Wi Fi jammers to break into homes to disable the wireless smart home security systems. So there's multiple reports. There's one out of Los Angeles, there's one out of Minneapolis, there's one out of Arizona about these Wi Fi jammers to block signs. And I'm not telling you this to scare you, but it's just kind of to know what's out there. It's not really a whole lot you can do about this. I mean, the recommendation is that you can go with a wired security camera system, but that's not very realistic. But some of these, you know, many of these security devices, these cameras use radio frequencies like two point four gigahertz, which can be overpowered by these jammers that send a signal on the same frequency. Now, these jammers are banned in the US by the FCC, but that doesn't mean people don't get them from other sources, especially online. So apparently these burglars research houses online before they burglarize them, and they target the primary bedrooms and steal high value items from there. So just be aware. A lot of people are blurring out their homes on Google Maps and things like that. I mean, you can do that, but just be aware of this stuff. And I think having lights in a system and you know, signs will really go a long way. Rivian this week unveiled a new suv that's smaller. It's called the R two forty five thousand bucks. It's set to launch in twenty twenty six. This was great. They did this in Laguna Beach. I was there. The pricing is right, forty five grand for a small electric suv. But here's the thing. It doesn't come out for another year and a half two years. A lot can change in that time. But that did not keep them from getting a lot of reservations. Sixty eight thousand reservations overnight for the new R two. Reservation is one hundred dollars. It's a deposit that is refundable. They expect to ramp up these cars when they start making them a normal Illinois that's where the plant is. They're expecting to make two hundred and fifteen thousand vehicles per year there. That may sound like a lot, but when you look at what Tesla's selling, they're selling a whole lot more. All right, coming up, I've got interviews from my event at the Rivian launch event in Laguna. We're going to talk to the CEO. We're going to talk to the head of design and some other folks all about the Rivian R two. Coming up right here on rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich On Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you talking technology at Triple eight Rich one oh one. So this week I went to the unveiling of the new Rivian electric vehicles. The company was expected to announce one smaller suv. They surprised the world by announcing three new cars. The R two, which is a smaller version of their suv. It's expected to go over three hundred miles on a charge, and it's going to cost forty five thousand dollars. It is a five seater small suv. So first up, I talked to Rivian's head of design, Jeff Hamoud. They kept saying throughout their entire presentation that Rivian is all about adventure, So I asked him how do they design for that.
Speaker 14: When you think about adventure, we really have to think about broad strokes.
Speaker 5: What adventure could be.
Speaker 14: I mean with obviously answer are things that we've shown on our one is whether that's camping, kayaking, surfing, things like that. But adventure could be many things. Adventure could be moving to another city. Adventure could be taking your kids off to college, or as I just said, adventure could be going to Ikea. So we really want to look at what are the things that people do and try to make their lives easier.
Speaker 1: Two models of the Rivan, both the pickup truck and the suv, have been out in the wild for a while. I next asked Jeff how they learned from that experience and what they improved on these new cars.
Speaker 14: Well, with R two being able to scale and get a lot more people in our brand obviously is trying to get something that is more affordable. The size of the vehicle as well, while having the vehicle be smaller, more more notevable, and more athletic. But there's things that we also carried over from our one that we really appreciated in our too. We got a lot of positive feedback and have some of the details. As I've mentioned, is the map pockets in the door. You know, how do we use our UI screens? We still have two screens. We still think that's really important. Proved on things like our steering wheel controls because I think there's was room for improvement on that for our one, and carried over some of the core features of accessibility, but with it with R two we went even further with It's like, well the car is smaller, but we know that we had a lot of feedbackward customers. We're using the vehicles to sleep in it, but with this smaller.
Speaker 5: Wheelace, what do you do?
Speaker 14: So that's why the seats are able to fold flat completely, including the front front road.
Speaker 1: Next to those curious who the R two is for, I think that RB two could be for everyone.
Speaker 14: Honestly, That's that's really what we're doing, and it's people that resonate well hopefully with our brand. You look at the EV space, there's a lot of vehicles that have a lot of similar feeling, and I think for EV adoption to take off is the ability to have choice, and for Rivian having that very two box suv, higher ground clearance, more capability off road or an inclement weather. Being able to have that confidence really expands sort of the market offering out there and helps differentiate us from others, but still gives the customers the ability of choice.
Speaker 1: Rivian recently had layoffs, the stock price was at an all time low recently, so many are saying that this is sort of a make or break moment for the company.
Speaker 14: I think this product is very important for us to scale. Absolutely. I wouldn't call it our make or break moment, but it's the ability to make Rivian become a global brand, to really expand our volumes and get the brand to more people. The price point of our one, it's an excellent vehicle, but it's going to limit the amount of people that can afford it, or even limit the amount of see it people that see it, so it has a lot of reminiscence obviously of Our one, but that's something we really wanted to build off of because this could be the very first experience that a lot of people have with the Rivian product. So we wanted to build off of what was great about our one, but offer it at something at a much more affordable price point so we can get more people into the brand.
Speaker 1: This is one of the first electric vehicles I've seen that actually has Tesla's charger built in Natively, that means you won't need an adapter to use a Testless supercharger. So I asked Jeff if he thinks that's going to make a big difference here.
Speaker 5: I think it will.
Speaker 14: Test has obviously got a very amazing charging network and being able to utilize that is going to help not only Rivian, but all the other brands that have signed up to do that. And that's something that I think is really helpful for everyone to get ev adoption. We really need a lot of charges everywhere. With that, we're continuing to build out our adventure network, which is something we continue to add sites every day, which will also help with.
Speaker 12: A lot of that.
Speaker 14: So being able to have options I think is what's most important to people. Being able to charge at home is a huge one. I think if you've got the vehicle at home, being able to plug it in and just drive off.
Speaker 1: My wife first time, first time EV.
Speaker 14: Owner was with a Rivin R one S and her being able to charge charge at home and never having to go into gas station again is a really great experience. And I think the more people will get to live with these vehicles and vehicles, whether it's an EV or whether it's a Rivian or any other AEV, the really starts to find the benefits of actually dry and owning an evy.
Speaker 1: Next up, I spoke with John Reddinger. He is a popular YouTuber and he happens to own two Rivians.
Speaker 5: I mean, I love it.
Speaker 15: I've got thirty thousand miles on my R one T the truck. My wife has the R one S about twenty thousand. I've had mine for two years, year and a half. It's been perfect. I just put my first set of tires on the truck after thirty thousand miles, which is incredible. And I think the R two looks like a baby version of the R one S like everybody's expecting, like Rivian's model why but I think what they delivered is more of a Wrangular Bronco competitor kind of off road but with some luxury inside the price of forty five thousand dollars if it actually you know, prices are subject to change, right, if it comes out at that price, I think we've got a home run on their hands. I think there are two people buying.
Speaker 1: Tessels, right.
Speaker 15: They're those that are very into Elon, and they're those that just want a cool electric car. I think for the folks that want a cool electric car, they're options from and I think this is going to be one of those many, many options.
Speaker 1: I'd get some time to chat with Rivian's forty one year old billionaire founder and CEO RJ Scringe. I was impressed not only with his presentation he did the entire thing without a teleprompter, but his enthusiasm too.
Speaker 5: Beyond excited.
Speaker 16: I mean, we've been working on these for years, and I think people expected to see R two, but it's sibling platform variant. The R three was like to show that. We were so nervous it was going to leak over the last few months. But I mean, it's such a cool product, so we're really excited.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I asked r J, how did you keep this so quiet?
Speaker 16: Really carefully, really carefully. We don't put him out on public roads. We keep them even in the studio. There's lots of security around not showing them. We had the same thing with R one where we didn't want it to leak. There was a few leaks around R two, but nothing with R three, which is great.
Speaker 1: I asked RJ, what do people need to know about this brand?
Speaker 16: You know, when we think about Riven as a company, so much around the product is built around creating these experiences. So every decision, the interior, the package, the powertrain, the efficiency is designed to create amazing experiences to really drive massive adoption electric vehicles. And the market needs choice. The market needs lots of interesting choices, so we need lots of successful car companies making lots of really interesting products. So we hope these help give customers a choice to move from the combustion world into the eving world.
Speaker 1: Finally, I was curious what keeps RJ going?
Speaker 16: I mean, the team, the products, and then the importance. I mean, we're at such a critical juncture where we do have to electrify the world, and you know, how lucky are we to be in the middle of that where we can help drive that change.
Speaker 1: Now, for a little perspective, I talked to Abigail Bassett. She is a freelance journalist who is covering the Rivian event for The Verge.
Speaker 17: It's a little bit, it's a little bit of a difficult time right now. They're sort of in the ev Valley of death, if you will, where their production costs and their demand are geting each other. They can't make those things meet at this point. They've got some production issues with their factory. They're building a new in Georgia. We're really hoping that we'll be able to see these vehicles because there's a lot riding on them.
Speaker 1: I was curious what she thought of these cars and how they compare to the Teslas of the world. I think the R two is really competitive.
Speaker 17: If you look at the market right now, you've got things like the Mustang Mode, You've got the Tesla Model Wide, which all come in around that level at forty five thousand dollars. Now, of course, you're talking about a base level, so in order to get like all wheel drive and a bigger battery pack, you're probably going.
Speaker 1: To have to step up a little bit more. So, I would expect, like if.
Speaker 17: You want the top of the line features for the R two, you're probably going to spend around around fifty thousand dollars to get there, and then of course with Rivian, it's inevitable that they'll probably offer a whole lot of other features, things like bike add ons. You know, they had the camp stove and the R one T which they've since sort of discontinued to reconfigure, but you can expect a whole lot more features that are available or coming for the R two. I would say this is for a different demographic. Ultimately, if you're a Tesla bar buyer, you're buying into sort of the Elon Musk infrastructure. You're buying in to his persona, You're buying into a lot of that environment.
Speaker 13: RJ.
Speaker 17: Rivian, the whole environment that they're building.
Speaker 15: Is very different.
Speaker 17: They take a different sort of software approach to their consumers, so it's a very different buyer I think. And I think given sort of the politicized environment we live in and the way that we express to our politics is through what we buy or what we don't buy, I think this will just be another option for folks out there who want something that's adventurous, off rody.
Speaker 1: And a lot of fun. You can put a reservation down for the R two right now. It is one hundred dollars and it is refundable. The company says they got over sixty eight thousand reservations in less than twenty four hours. The R two is expected to ship in the first half of twenty twenty six. The R three and the R three X expected to follow after that. Coming up next, it's the feedback segment or rich on Tech coming up right after this. Welcome back to rich On Tech. Man, I'm still recovering from that tap dancing. You know what, Once in a while you're really thrown for a loop, and why not? I welcome it all right Before we get to the feedback segment, just two more items of no. Apple this week launched new fifteen inch MacBook Airs and thirteen inch models with a new M three chip. So I'm actually gonna buy one of these. I was at the Apple store yesterday making my decision. I bought the I think I got like a fourteen inch MacBook Pro or something like that, and I just I've hated it since day one because the screen is just too small. So I got to get this fifteen inch so I can have more on my screen. Here anyway, these things are the new kind of go to MacBook. Airs got support for up to twenty four gigs of memory on board. They support two external displays when the laptop lid is closed, and they've got Wi Fi six E, so that's a little bit faster download speeds than the previous generation. The thirteen inch model starts at one thousand ninety nine. The fifteen inch model starts at twelve ninety nine. They do have education pricing available. Don't forget about that. My color is the Midnight looks pretty nice. The only problem is, even though they said they put this coding on it to make the fingerprints less of an issue, there's still a fingerprint issue. Out of all the colors I looked at yesterday in the store, the Midnight one still has the most fingerprints on it. The guy at the store said, Oh, it's just because a lot of people touch it. I don't know about that. Dreamscape is closing down their immersive VR experience. This is kind of a local story in LA but they did have locations planned or in other places, but that's it. They are closing down the Century City Mall location. If you follow me at all, you know I love this experience. Dreamscape in Immersive was there for six years, and this was kind of like a movie brought to life. So I did like the Dinosaur one, I did the Aliens one. I did the How To Train a Dragon one. You put on all this VR equipment and then you go into this little room and you kind of walk around the room for the adventure, and it was very realistic. It was very cool, but it was very expensive and it was very tough to kind of scale because you had to have a backpack on with all this VR stuff. It took a long time to set it up and it was very ambitious, and I just don't think they could ever scale it to the way they wanted to. AMC Movie theaters had like an interest in it. It just never really worked out. So now they're going to focus on education. They are partnering with the Arizona State University to launch Dreamscape Learn, So a lot of the company and a lot of what they did will be existing, but in a different way. So it's closing on March tenth, so not much time to see it, but if you saw it, it was really cool. I always recommended people do that. All right, Now, time for the feedback. Segment feedback plus the mailbag equals feedback. Let's see what you had to say. Ken says, switching from Android to iPhone, even with Apple's transfer program, is never perfect. Be prepared for days of frustration and save your Android phone for data that didn't transfer. Just because the app was created does not mean the data will. Learning the iOS system is another issue, absolutely, Ken. That's why I always recommend that you really just don't do the switch programs. Just try to move things over on your own accord. Gail says, Yo, Rich, another great show. You just did it again. Transcription. Let me get on this. I'm going to your web page right now. I take a lot of notes as a producer reporter on hundreds of stories. This sounds like something I need immediately. Keep teaching me, and oh, keep teaching all of us listeners. Gail, That, by the way, is Gail Anderson. I work with Gail and I love Gail at KTLA, and I'm not kidding. Every week Monday morning I walk in and she's like, Rich, we got to talk about your show for like an hour. Neil on Broadcast HD. I was there when it first started, and he got pretty decent signal on the main channel, although early football was a bit blocky until they figured it out. However, if you go there today, you'll find they've split their channel into multiple sub channels where only a tiny bit of the quality goes to the main and they have a ton of really low quality subchannels for various reruns. Why did they do this? Probably advertising anyway, Sorry for the grump, Thanks for your service, Neil in Ohio. Yeah, that happens, Tom. When you discussed HP ink cartridges subscriptions today, I don't think you mentioned the big downside. If you sign up for automatic ink shipments for your new printer, they remotely disabled that printer's ability to ever use aftermarket cartridges. You're forced to only use HP OEM cartridges for the life of the printer. They don't make this very obvious. I suspect a lot of users are caught unaware. It's buried in the fine print and seem somewhat deceptive. This was the case when I bought my last printer a couple of years ago, and the reason I may ever buy another HP printer. Huh Okay, that's interesting. I did not know that, Pete says Rich. I understand that TikTok is directly associated with the CCP, China's Communist Party, Why then do you even mention its use. I personally wish it were banned completely from its access on US soil. I don't think it's owned directly by the Chinese Communist Party, but yes, it does have connections to China. It's very complicated and I don't think anyone knows the specific answer, but byte Edance owns TikTok. They both have offices in China. They also have something in the Cayman Islands. They also have an office in Los Angeles. This is why there's a lot of debate around TikTok. There is a lot of unknowns and I don't have a good answer for you on that, but thanks for the feedback there, And okay, I think that's it. Oh, let's just end with Bruce love your show, Bruce and Claremont. We'll leave it there, all right, if you can believe it, that's going to do it for this episode of the show. If you want to find links to everything I mentioned, you can go to the website. Just go to richon tech dot tv. I keep really good notes something new I'm doing. If you want to check out the show on YouTube. I'm actually putting in some time codes on YouTube, so if you want to skip to a particular topic or a guest, you can go into the show notes on YouTube. You click the time and it will bring you directly to that area of the show. It's audio only, but some people like to listen on YouTube. Even though it's YouTube's primarily video, the show is just on audio. Of course, you can find me on social media. I am at Rich on Tech. Thank you so much for listening. There are so many ways you can spend your time. I do appreciate you spending it right here with me. Thanks to everyone who makes this show possible. My name is Rich Demiro. I will talk to you real soon.