Speaker 1: They're coming for you.
Speaker 2: Seriously, they're on a heat. Tyler Phillips representing them today for us and back on FT Tyler, good to see it. Let's start with the headliner. What's going on with you guys out there right now?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: Did? I don't know?
Speaker 1: The boys are swinging the bats well, pitching.
Speaker 4: I mean we've we've had a few meetings talking about just trying to win four games a week, and I guess we just like really took that to heart, you know, like you win four games a week, that's that's two series wins, you know.
Speaker 1: So I think we just took that to heart. The hitters or whatever meetings they're having. I'm not allowed in there.
Speaker 4: I've been trying to get in there, but uh no, they're just they're just doing everything right, man, moving the ball forward, run the base is hard, playing awesome defense. I want to give like credit to like Kyle Stowers. I've been just thinking about them right now. Now guy's moved over to first base and I think he's making unreal plays over there.
Speaker 1: But it's such full team round man. Everyone's doing their jobs.
Speaker 3: That's good man. How's everything going, bro? You look good?
Speaker 1: It's it's great. It's good to see you. Man, was happy to see your name on there.
Speaker 3: Bridy you keep working, dog.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it. I appreciate it.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, ty hang on, can we can we go to our full shot here? Because wait a minute, Like you have never once talked about Tyler Phillips one time and now it comes on the show and you're like, yo, this is my guy. Bro Yo, this is yo yo. For where are you back in Jersey?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you want to know about That's.
Speaker 3: Just it's just it's natural.
Speaker 6: That's how it goes, that auto connection, man, That's how that's how it is.
Speaker 5: Okay, So do you know Todd as Little League World Series champion or Home run Derby champion. How do you know Tom?
Speaker 1: Here we go, dude, I mean, honestly, both of them.
Speaker 4: But we were in Texas together, man, we were spring training. Here's here's a funny story. Todd come in obviously always confident.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: The thing that like really threw me off is that he brought his son in. It's my first spring ever. Son comes in. We're all playing cards, gambling stuff like that. Whatever comes in first hand of blackjack takes a hundred bucks for me.
Speaker 1: I was like, what the heck is going on here? Man?
Speaker 4: And Todds just like he's being the man over there, dude, like good energy, son brought it in. So h I wish I wasn't the scared player that I was back then because I think we would have had a really good time.
Speaker 3: No, you weren't scared, bro, Listen, listen.
Speaker 1: I got I was scared. I was scared.
Speaker 3: No besides me, stop it. Listen, dude.
Speaker 6: I love all the younger guys and just like Cratzy too as well.
Speaker 3: Dude.
Speaker 6: We tried breaking you guys in a little bit so you felt comfortable.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 6: It's a different ball game up there, dude, and especially you know with the times of what was going on and what was that two thousand.
Speaker 1: And that was twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: Man, there's twenty twenty, yeah, right on the dome.
Speaker 6: So listen, if you ever felt scared, I wish you would have came to me a little bit more. But you look like you knew what you were doing. Even if you were scared.
Speaker 3: You acted like you belonging where you started and where you're at now.
Speaker 1: Dude.
Speaker 6: I'm proud of you, man, because I know you're an absolute beast, and I'm sorry my son took the hundred bucks from you.
Speaker 3: We'll get it back to you.
Speaker 1: Hey, I'm I'm not playing with him anymore.
Speaker 3: Let me.
Speaker 6: I want to talk about trust too. I mean, you're talking about being scared and trust. You talk about how you know one of your coaches is really helped you out a little bit with your catcher in that kind of game. You know, I understand as a pitcher's perspective, the trust you have with your catcher has to be spot on and for you sometimes you know, you want to do a little bit too much, or you want, hey, maybe this and there, but you have to let go and let your catcher do his job. So talk a little about that and how you've gotten more confident in that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course then.
Speaker 4: I mean I think it was against the Athletics my last out two outings ago, kind of had a little hiccup. It was the fourth thing I went out there, men got on base, and being a sinker ball guy that I am, being the contact pitcher than I am, you know, obviously I don't want to the guy advance. So so I had to swallow my pride a little bit and say, like the next day.
Speaker 1: There was some fear there of letting the runner advance and letting guys get on.
Speaker 4: But I got a Joe mack here who's unbelievable behind the dish, and uh, that's like the very first thing that we talked about, Like I was being way too quick to the plate, and that was taking a hit on my stuff. It was taking a hit on my command. And then I just ended up giving up free passes. So Joe can't even do a job at that point anymore. And they said, hey, man, like nobody's running off of this guy. You got to understand that. And when people do run, he's he wants them to. That's something he always talks about, is I want people to run. So I mean, that's just helped me build a lot of trust in there and me and Joe. Whenever he isn't playing, we'll talk on the bench just if I ever do get into a jam, ways that he can help mechanisms he can use to to get me to just stay confident. But the end of the day, when you have a guy that's gonna throw somebody out, whatever percentage he's throwing out higher than a lot of other guys, makes me feel better. You know, just do my job, throw the ball over the plate. If they want to run, please please give it a chance, you know, give it a try.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 5: Talk about Joe Mack. Talk about him because people that they are not Marlins fans or Catching fans, because if you're catching fan, you should know who Joe Mack is. Like, Yeah, this dude is the real deal. But talk about him as a rookie having these conversations with you behind a dish.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, gosh, guy is a goofball. I'm gonna I'm gonna put it right out there.
Speaker 1: He's a goofle Love him, Love him to death.
Speaker 4: Though, And that's like the energy that I want because him being a goofble on, him being like a little bit naive if you will, that makes him eager to just continue to learn.
Speaker 1: You know. That's the thing that's that's cool.
Speaker 4: Yesterday in between innings, you know, we're watching, we're getting excited for runs, whatever it is. But then out of nowhere, we'll just start talking about like, hey, this is what I need you to do, this is the setup I need you to give me. Or he's talking about like what he sees from the base runner on first just like the most random stuff you could think of. But he wants to get better every single day and he wants he wants to serve.
Speaker 1: And that's I think that's the biggest thing that a catcher.
Speaker 4: Could could want, you know, when you're talking about the best in the game.
Speaker 1: It's something that I've learned back in the day.
Speaker 4: It's always like, hey, we're here to serve, you know, like you have to be selfish in this game. But at the same time, as a catcher, you're there for the entire team. You're watching the whole rest of the eight guys, you see the whole field. You're there to serve, and especially for our pitchers, just being able to get us on track. That's that's gonna be the biggest thing for him to just continue to learn, is how to go and talk with the picture in between innings or when they get into a jam.
Speaker 5: All right, Well, you talked about his throwing ability, and I'm going to swing another question. Have you seen anybody throw like him in the game? Because right now, Joe mack leads the league in caught stealing, not percentage, but in guys thrown out. I think he's got like seventeen dudes Hey's thrown out and he didn't get called.
Speaker 1: Up till May.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Have I seen anyone throw like him? I mean, obviously I was around JT was. He was awesome to have. But Joe does some some different stuff, man, Like I remember seeing a video of him in triple A, like he was looking at third and he somehow like did like a little snake guys moving through it.
Speaker 1: The second. Got a guy.
Speaker 4: A few games ago against the Cardinals, I was pitching, I was out of the game at this point, did a backpick the third. It's just like you don't even see it, like from the sideline, you know, Like it's just the quickest snap throws.
Speaker 1: It's the quickest pop time I've seen in a long time.
Speaker 4: And it's a lot of fun to watch, at least, I guess if you can't see it, if.
Speaker 5: You so so, my question to you is, I'm not sure if you were going to come on here as a starter or as a lever, so as a catcher. Are you different personalities, Because for Joe Mack being a rookie, if I'm like constantly catching all Tyler Phillips starts, since you've been a starter since most of his Big League time so far, and then all of a sudden they shift you back to the bullpen. Is he gonna have to look at a different guy? Is he gonna have to approach you different?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 5: What is what is this energy that you're putting out from from both sides of your pitcher persona.
Speaker 4: I mean from the bullpen. I do feel like an animal coming out of the gate there. I don't know something about the adrenaline, Like if you ever seen the movie Split, Like I feel like the Split guy just like getting bigger, you know, like you coming out of that Gate's it's a different feeling. But we do try to be the same every every time. I know that's like a kind of a boring answer, but the same thing out of the As a starter, we're trying to preach me feeling that animal the whole time. Granted, bullpen, you're throwing one to two to three innings starting, you're trying to go five, six, seven innings, so it is a little bit harder to sustain and like maintain that mentality.
Speaker 1: You get tired. It's like kind of a mental grind.
Speaker 4: So they've been challenging me to check in and check out in between innings when there's two outs, it's like back to that animal mindset.
Speaker 1: But those first two outs, when we're sitting in the dugout.
Speaker 4: That's when Joe has this opportunity to come in and get whatever out.
Speaker 1: Maybe we'll joke a.
Speaker 4: Little bit, but when once there's two outs, it's like, get away from me. It's like just lock them back in. So, I mean, dude, we're we're all we're all really close here. I think we're really typed that team, and we're all the same guy every day. Even if guys are struggling, we all come in and we're having a blasts.
Speaker 1: That's the number one thing.
Speaker 5: Take us through the conversations, but then also the physical ramp up to go from a reliever at the beginning of the year. The role you had last year was way different than what you're doing right now. So is this a conversation in spring where they go, hey, we could possibly do this since we bought brought Pete Fairbanks in, but then they just had to transition you because to build up to be a starter in the regular season in the big leagues is no joke.
Speaker 4: Take us through that, yeah, you know, I mean, it's a tough game, man, Obviously, we had a few injuries, some of our some of our death down at the lower level. Some of the guys that we thought were gonna be ready went through tj uh and that's that's tough, man. I hate to see that. But in spring I was throwing one to two innings, you know. I think there was one outing where they wanted me to go three. And that was a grind too. Just off season, I wasn't necessarily preparing for that. It's preparing to be just like a short burst reliever. During the season, though, I was getting tossed into that, like the I don't want to call it the mop up role, but it was kind.
Speaker 1: Of like a mop up role.
Speaker 4: You come in games, kind of in a gym and you're in a buying and you gave up, like you're losing by five or winning by five, something like that. You don't want to waste your your leverage arms. I was really good at just being efficient and going through adage quickly, keeping the pitch count low. And then once they just kept getting injuries, they just pulled me in the office one day and said, hey, like, you cool, if we just let you start.
Speaker 1: You've been going three Ning's pretty much every time anyway.
Speaker 4: So then at that point it's just it's a matter of just going out doing the exact same thing, some minor tweaks and to the starting plan.
Speaker 1: But I've been pretty much treating my day to day like a reliever.
Speaker 4: Like obviously, like the lifting schedules different, the conditioning schedules a little different, but mindset wise, preparation wise, I've been treating it pretty much the same as I would when I was a reliever, And all I'm doing is going on a few extra innings.
Speaker 7: Hey, for the families out there looking for a different path to help your child succeed at home, looking to K twelve powered schools, K twelve offers tuition free, accredited online public education for students in case through twelve, all in a setting that works for your family. Todd Father, you've done no homeschooling thing in the past.
Speaker 1: I know you liked it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did. I liked it a lot. All my kids have done it before.
Speaker 6: It's an opportunity for them to stay at home and enjoy school just as much. They learn a lot. And this is an opportunity for families that are on the go too as well. They have to understand, listen, can't be at a regular school at all times. I need my child to be doing this, whether it's an athletic career or whatever stature they are at. And we loved every second of it, and I think it is an easy opportunity for some children.
Speaker 7: See how K twelve parate schools can help unlock your child's full potential. Enroll today at K twelve dot com slash foul. That's the letter K, the number twelve dot com slash foul. K twelve dot com slash foul.
Speaker 1: All right, take us into the clubhouse.
Speaker 5: Right now, the Marlins are tied with the Phillies right now, trade deadlines looming. How much do you guys talk about trade deadline? I know teams that I was on that we were in the playoff hunt, or we were actually in you know, a wild card spot or division lead. The conversations in the clubhouse were very few and far between about trade deadline. Because if you're like, bro, we need to pick up another starter, And you look across like your locker next to you is the dude that's the fifth starter. You're like, I wasn't talking about you, like you feel like you're almost hurting your teammates. How is that conversating and what do you guys talk about?
Speaker 4: And to be honest, I haven't I haven't heard any chatter about trades. And maybe I'm just like maybe I'm just like not paying attention to anything. But I wouldn't even have been able to tell you what our record was, you know, Like, I know we've been playing well, dude, we get in that clubhouse and it's just like we're just looking to have fun.
Speaker 1: We've been We've been switching the vibes up a lot.
Speaker 4: On my start day, I know that we've been going with a lot of like some soul music I like, I like Rick James. I've been putting a lot of ham on. We've been kind of going with a little funky fish vibe. Guys have just been enjoying that. We like to dance around, joke around. We got got a few games in the clubhouse. Everybody's just competing. Nobody's really talking about trade deadlines or where anyone's going. Like, see the injuries suck, but like nobody really talks about that.
Speaker 1: We just keep it keep it light, keep it loose.
Speaker 4: I don't know if the team would appreciate me saying it, But like I have a we do have like a little extracurricular in the clubhouse next to my locker where we all just like gather around after games. Uh you know, I have a little have a little drain ski and we're just on really well, like there's no there's no talk about trades, there's no talk about records.
Speaker 1: We just go out there and we're just having a blast.
Speaker 4: That's really just That's why I said I think I said it the other day, like it feels like high school or college, like you don't even pay attention to what's going on.
Speaker 1: You're just having fun with your boys.
Speaker 5: Is it celebrating? I mean you celebrate after win. Liked you boys, because I've been on teams where we take tequila shots after a win. We do different types of What is the routine after Marlin's win? Who leads it? What are the chants? And is there a certain music that's played?
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, I mean we there is definitely a routine.
Speaker 4: We all get in there, we all gather around mister Fairbanks.
Speaker 1: He grabs the.
Speaker 4: The game log and he's going over all the all the positives from the game. Who's gotten hits, who pitched well, like obviously we all pay attention, we know what happened in the game.
Speaker 1: Just honor all those guys.
Speaker 4: And then we have this like wwe like Marlin's belt hand that out to the player of the game, usually like we're just screaming at him, like telling him to say it, to do a speech, and when he's about to start doing his speech, we just keep screaming at him, keep like tossing stuff at him, and then they'll do his speech, usually something short and sweet like hey, let's go get another win tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Bump the music up.
Speaker 4: I don't know what the music vibe is, kind of just like stuff that we like, and then eventually we get back into that funk vibe. But then over by my locker, we do have we do have the curtains, we pull them open. I got a bunch of polaroids in there with guys. After the wins, we take pictures with them, and we definitely do sweep shots and most of the pictures will all gather around there, you know, position players, they got stuff to do the next day.
Speaker 1: Pictures is a little bit of a different animal, but.
Speaker 4: Usual together around have a drink together, just decompressed talk about the game, whatever it is, and you know, it's just like I said, just keeping it tight knit, keeping it close, and just bonding, man like, just hanging.
Speaker 1: Around each other. Like those are the teams that are going to be successful. I love that.
Speaker 2: That's awesome, And I hope people know what goes on behind the scenes to help build the camaraderie because that's important and you can see it with the way the team's playing. So I have a question in terms of how to appeal to the fan base. I lived in Miami, and there's just so much competition down there. There's so many people that aren't born there right that go down there. They're fans of other teams, the whole deal. So my question is, how do you organically produce more people like you who are so good on interviews like this, Like, are there any players on the team that you're like, hey, you can give give a little more crack some of these jokes to the media to help fans, casual fans catch a viral moment, because you know how it is. It's like in Miami, you could basically be the best team in the league, but then still if there's not some viral moment or some star name who's a Hall of Famer. It's just hard to break through the noise.
Speaker 1: That's just what it is in that city.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean there was so much other stuff going on. Like I know, we have a fan base. I just I would love to see him come out to the game. I know Marlin's and network they DM me the other day they got like forty thousand followers. Asked me to just do a little video, try to encourage people to come out, do a little takeover.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: I mean, we just got to keep lying. Well, just hand handle what we can control. Control, you know the cliche answer. But I do encourage guys constantly, Like obviously I've talked to the pictures. Gosh, I haven't even talked to some hitters here and there, like early in the year.
Speaker 1: Just about like presence on the field.
Speaker 4: The two guys that stand out to me the most, Like obviously Pete knows what he's doing, He's.
Speaker 1: Got he's got mound presence.
Speaker 4: Two guys that stand out to me the most are Michael Peterson and Kate Gibson. Like these guys they come out there with some fire now man, Like early in the year, even last year, a little bit like you. You have that little rookie like that sense that I'm a rookie. I don't want to show anyone up, you know. And gosh, I dealt with that too, and get to the point where nobody really cares. Like the other team, they don't. They don't care. They might remember it, they might want to get some revenge on you, but it's the same that, like we have the same thing, you know. So I've been encouraging them, like, hey, man, go out there, show some fire.
Speaker 1: People want to see that. So I got I got kid Gibson.
Speaker 4: And uh, gosh, you can't say his name, Mike Peterson, and I got a nickname for him. It's like his alter ego. But like I can't say it's it's I'll tell you this. It starts with an MF and then it goes Mike. But uh, they've been throwing the jacket on after outings, you know, like after they walk off the mountain, like they get out of a gym, they're tossing the jacket on. I'm like, oh, that's sick, man. Like they're they're just like jawing at themselves. They're john at the other guys. They come in. You can feel the energy when they're coming out of the bullpen and they come into the dugout, like people need to see that.
Speaker 1: That like gives me I got chills right now just thinking about it.
Speaker 4: And we got a lot of guys like that, man, like even the hitters, Like we do this stuff in the dogout now where Brian Navaretto.
Speaker 1: He's some of the best energy I've been around in this game.
Speaker 4: We got our h one of our shrink coaches, Daniel Vega, Like they start to do this like number they're like five six, seven eight, and we do this like well, we're all snapping and clapping and dancing around and they got the fight and fish h like bottled girls service thing and we're just like dancing and chanting around like people probably hear us from the other dog out and like what in the world is going on over there? And like that's the fun that that we have. That's like the viral moments that I wish people could come out to the stadium and see. Like I I think there's like a few like the season ticket holders that are behind they know, but but like that's the stuff that that gives me chills just seeing these guys, like seeing them blossom and get away from from like that scared kid that I mentioned to Todd earlier, Like that, I felt like I was nervous to do.
Speaker 1: Something wrong, like, oh, I don't want to get in trouble.
Speaker 4: I don't want to be viral, Like I wish guys would say, like, dude, don't be viral. Yeah, we're playing baseball, But I do think that there is a sense like we're still entertaining at the same time, you know, like people want to see that. That's how you're gonna get fans, and the more fans you get, the more the more incentive there is. Just don't play hard, you know, like it feels good having that having that roar behind you.
Speaker 5: Cap I've been looking for the best deals for the All Star Game tickets and Philly, where are you going to get some tickets from?
Speaker 8: I'm going straight out to Rife Field. If Harper and Schwarber both joined the home run derby, I want to be catching the hometown guys hitting them. So I'm going out to the Rife Field kind of where I think I could get the best chance of catching one of those home runs.
Speaker 5: Maybe in the second deck. You can go on the app and you can look to see what your view is going to be because the boys are going to be launching them Jones and with over thirty five million downloads, see Geek is the number one rated ticketing app. There are more than seventy thousand events listed at seekik, including concerts, sports, festivals and more. And of course I have a code for you all. You can use the code territory ten for ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at Seakeeek. That's ten percent off MLB tickets with promo code territory ten. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so you could use it later. Thank you to sea Geek and we'll see you at the game.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 6: Broh, you fire me up. I want to go put an uniform on right now and go play.
Speaker 1: Hey, come on down, you know I would.
Speaker 3: My last question to you for me.
Speaker 6: Red Sox still have not taken off from last night's game and they're still sitting in Chicago when they have a game at seven to ten in New York. If you're a starting pitcher today, if you're not, still haven't taken off you're not supposed to land until after four thirty five o'clock. Are you losing it a little bit? Are you like, ah, whatever, let's just let's let it roll whatever.
Speaker 4: I think at that point, like you probably go through the four stages, you know, like the despair, like the yam me like all this stuff. You probably go through the four stages and then you get to acceptance. I know it's if it's me, i'd probably just be like to whatever. Man, Like I think when we were in Saint Louis, two outings to go for me, like I was talking about, I was just going in survival mode, like my body felt terrible, it was super hot day game. It's probably where I would be at that point. I'd be I'll get me wrong, I'd be pissed. But again's control what you can control. That is insane. I didn't know that, but uh yeah, just go out there, do your job the best you can.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Everybody's everybody on that flight's gotta gotta play the same way, you know.
Speaker 4: Anyway we joke about how our bodies feel constantly here too, Like like Max Meyer, this guy, I think he's got He's probably throwing more innings this year. Than he has his entire career combined, so like obviously his body's gonna be feeling it.
Speaker 1: And we're always.
Speaker 4: Joking like, oh, dude, I'm shocked, like I don't know if I can pitch today.
Speaker 1: And then we go out and you know, he'll go out and throw seven. You know, I think at that point you just go into survival mode and go compete. Man, That's all. That's what it's all about.
Speaker 5: Oh, who's the biggest freak on the team. Who's the guy that you're like, whoa if people knew about this guy, like this guy talking about like talent wise on.
Speaker 1: The field, he's freak on this team.
Speaker 4: Dude, I gotta put I gotta put Mike Peterson up there, man, Like he he locks in that mental side.
Speaker 1: Dude.
Speaker 4: He's seven. He's got Nigerian blood in him. His middle name is like Ketichuku. He's this six foot seven guy. We call him the pie thrower too, because he's got this long arm action like it you probably like in the box, you can't see he's throwing twenty one vertical movement fastball?
Speaker 1: Is it ninety seven to one hundred?
Speaker 4: And like I said, like he when he comes in like we had a conversation earlier in the year in La where like I could sense it was like a back to back day for him, and I could sense that he was like kind of stirring a little bit mentally, and uh, you know, it wasn't the ideal out and for him, and I just pulled him to the side in the tunnel and I had this I had this long just like rant to him where I was saying, like, dude, those guys do not care about you. They will hit a line drive off your forehead. They'll probably take a step back for a second, like, oh man, I hit that guy, But then they'll keep rounding the basis, you know, because that's their job.
Speaker 1: And I think he took that to heart.
Speaker 4: And now I see him come out of that pen man, and you can see that he's seeing red. I can see steam coming out of his ears. And man, if I was a hitter, I would not want to be in the box against him. I think that's like the physical specimen. He has the stuff, and I think the mindset is right there, and I just want him to keep it there.
Speaker 2: Epic, epic love the combo, dude. We love catching up with you. Yeah, And hopefully Marlins fans you hear about all of this, so love the personality.
Speaker 1: Chat Tyler.
Speaker 2: Great to catch up with you, man. Enjoy the break too, and we'll catch it in the second half.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, I come down. We got a jersey for you bro.
Speaker 3: Alright kid, I'm ready, ma