Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. This is the Bloomberg Daybreak You podcast, available every morning on Apples, Spotify or wherever you listen. It's Tuesday, the ninth of April in London. I'm Caroline Hepkea.
Speaker 2: And I'm Stephen Carroll. Coming up today, Bloomberg counts the cast of the G seven increasing defense spending as Germany orders more hardware.
Speaker 1: Former Federal Reserve official James Bullard says he expects a trio of rate cuts this year.
Speaker 2: Plus computer says no technical difficulties hamper elon Musk's live stream on x while he's saying how well the service works.
Speaker 1: Let's start with a roundup of our top stories. Germany is expected to order seven billion euros worth of ships and armored vehicles this quarter. The purchases are part of a sweeping overhaul of the country's armed forces. The news comes amidst a global effort to rearm, with NATO officials saying member states military spending they need to reach up to four percent of GDP now. Bloomberg Economics has calculated that that would mean ten trillion dollars of additional spending for G seven countries. NATO Sexuary General Yen Stoltenberg says allies are increasing their commitment to spending on defense.
Speaker 3: We made a pledge in twenty fourteen, when percent Obama was present of the United States, to ensure that all allies spent two percent of GDP on defense.
Speaker 4: At that time.
Speaker 3: In twenty fourteen, only three allies spent two percent of GDP on defense. This year, we expect around twenty allies two thirds of the allies to spend two percent as a huge difference.
Speaker 1: That was the NATO Sexuty General Yen Stoltenberg speaking to Bloomberg last week. With its latest commitments, Germany will meet NATO's goal of spending two percent of GDP on defense this year for the first time since it was agreed in two thousand and six.
Speaker 2: Former Federal Reserve policymaker James buller It says his base case is three interest rate cuts this year. He cited successful policy and a strong economy, but said more data is needed before multiple cuts.
Speaker 5: Some people are saying that the next report will lead to core PC being only two point six percent on a twelve month basis, So you're starting to get close enough. I think you have enough data in hand right now to justify the first rate cut. Maybe not a whole string of rate cuts, but you could certainly justify the first rate cut now based on the data that they have.
Speaker 2: Former Saint Louis FED president James Bullard there speaking to Bloomberg. His comments are in line with the current head of the Minneapolis Fadnil Kashkari, who says he thinks US inflation will continue to fold this year. That's ahead of the latest CPI print you out tomorrow.
Speaker 1: More UK firms are being tipped as take over targets this year, according to a Bloomberg survey of risk arbitrage desks. You imparts reports now on why rock bottom valuations could be set to and M.
Speaker 6: And A boom, Virgin money, packaging company D S. Smith and house builder Red Road just some of the fourteen UK firms that have received takeover offers so far this year. Bloomberg's informal survey of traders, analysts and risk arbocharge desks have found that British stocks account for seventy percent of companies mentioned at least twice as possible takeover targets, and with the foot C three fifty currently trading out of forty five percent discounts to the MSCI Ward Index. It's not hard to explain the interest together with a prospect of easier money when the Bank of England starts to cut rates and you have a juicy backdrop for private equity firms on the prowl in London, you and Pots Sploomberg, Radio.
Speaker 2: Ryld Geigo, the bellionaire owner of Luxetan International, and Blackstone are nearing a deal to take the skincare company private. The asset manager may provide debt financing.
Speaker 7: For the buyout.
Speaker 2: People with an aledge of the matter of say an announcement could come as soon as the coming days. Blackstone has been considering a bid for a Luxit ten and conducted preliminary due diligence in February. Represents of four black z Own declined to comment, while Luck's attend didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.
Speaker 1: Bloomberg has learned the Jeffreys and the law firm Akin are representing Thames Waters investors in any restructuring talks. Lenders and bondholders have started to coordinate after the utility Giant's owner, Kember Water Finance, defaulted on a loan last week, James Wilcock has more.
Speaker 7: Last year, Thames made a thirty million pound loss on two point two billion of income after paying seven hundred million pounds financing costs. Yet it's now proposing to double annual capex to three point seven billion. Oh and it's in debt to the tune of fifteen point six billion. This explains why no one wants to put money into Britain's largest utility, not a shareholders or the government or bill payers, and now its creditors are lawyering up for a potential restructuring. All parties declined to comment when contacted by Bloomberg, but that's not stopping the storm. At negative headlines in the UK prep Yes in London, James Wilcock Blinder Radio.
Speaker 2: Tesla's battered share price jumped by more than five percent on Monday after Elon Musk promised that the electric automaker would unveil a Robotaxi in the coming months. The stock closed last week as the worst SMP performer of twenty twenty four, but Musk batted away suggestions of market trouble and a discussion with the head of Norgeous Bank Investment Management one of Tesla's biggest shareholders, Musk took part in a live streamed chat with CEO Nikolai Tangan on his social media platform X but it didn't exactly go to plan.
Speaker 4: So we are super piece that that we have you on and indeed on your X platform.
Speaker 7: How cool.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's pretty cool. Yeah. I mean we have like lots of people from all around the world simultaneously do effectively a real time podcast and it works pretty well. And the syvalogical computer old human brains that are thinking, and that's a pretty static. That's not amina Ilini, You're still there.
Speaker 6: Elin.
Speaker 2: This is the second high profile live stream and musks platform to have tech issues after Rando Santas's campaign launch flopped on the site.
Speaker 1: And those are your top stories on the markets this morning. Your socks fifty futures are sinking down by three tens of one percent, the MSCI Asia Pacific Index currently is up by eight tens of one percent, and tenure US treasury yields this morning trading at four point four one percent, down one and a half basis points.
Speaker 2: Those are your top stories and the markets. In a moment, we'll get more on our story on European defense spending and how much an increase to four percent of GDP could cost the G seven nations. But just to bring you some breaking news from the Middle East, where Turkey has announced restrictions on exports to Israel. It's going to apply to fifty four products as of today, and that includes things like construction materials. So that is the lates announcement that we are here from Turkey. This is after they had vowed yesterday to take measures against Israel over Gaza aide drops.
Speaker 1: Now let's turn our attention then to our investigation at Bloomberg. Russia's invasion of Ukraine, war in the Middle East and concerns about China's rise are spurring G seven countries to invest more in their militaries. Bloomberg has calculated that if they've raised defense spending to four percent of GDP, as some are suggesting, that would add up to more than a ten trillion dollars of additional drain on public finances basically over the next decade. It is a huge number. It underscores the difficult trade offs the countries are likely to face between national security, other spending priorities, and debt sustainability. Joining US now is Bloomberg's Global economists Berghavi Sakteville, who's been key in doing some of this research. Good morning, Bugave, thank you for being with us. I mean, firstly, I suppose what's driving the increase in defense spending around the world. It's been very pivotal.
Speaker 9: Thanks Caroline. Well, while defense spending reached a record two point two trillion dollars last year and lately in Europe, Russia's aggression in Ukraine has been a wake up call and after years of limited defense spending following the Cold War, more European nations are stepping up in there, spending more. Around twenty of NATO's thirty two allies are expected to spend two percent of GDP on defense this year, and that's up from like four the year before Russia's invasion. On the other side, we've also got China's rising military might, which is gaining attention amid a looming square of paiging potentially moving on Taiman. So all of this is indeed driving the increase in defense spending.
Speaker 2: So what scenarios could play out from here and how will that impact debt around the world.
Speaker 9: To statement, we at Bloomberg Economics, we examined two specific scenarios for defense spending, one in which the US and its partners spent at least two percent of their GDP on defense, and we looked at a much more extreme scenario where they raised defense spending to four percent, which is the.
Speaker 10: Cold War levels.
Speaker 9: For countries like Germany and Canada with relatively low levels of forecast the debt and fiscal headroom, this highest spending may be painful, but it's feasible. But for other governments, especially Japan, Italy, and France, they would struggle to increase defense spending substantially without taking additional spending cuts, borrowing more or eraising taxes, or some combination of all of these. More specifically, France, Italy and Spain would be particularly exposed if the extra spending is funded by borrowing.
Speaker 10: So we expect the US, which.
Speaker 9: Is already spending three point three percent on defense, they could see debt increase one hundred and thirty one percent over the next decade from ninety nine percent this year.
Speaker 1: Okay, but what about actually just reaching the two percent goal, Because that's the main target, isn't it? For native countries is to reach defense spending of at least two percent of GDP.
Speaker 10: Absolutely so for some people.
Speaker 9: Some officials have been pointing to the Cold War levels right when NATO allies spend about three to four percent on defense. You are a particular they need to catch up as an industry is shrunk after years of low spending on defense.
Speaker 10: In particular, there have been new styles of war that have been.
Speaker 9: Stained in Ukraine, especially in air defense and ammunition, and allies will have to invest.
Speaker 10: More on this in light of this.
Speaker 9: Also, there have been plans for NATO to put as many as three hundred thousand troops on higher readiness, and all of this is going to cost a lot more money.
Speaker 10: The two percent scenario.
Speaker 9: Might not be sufficient to meet these challenges, and in the four percent scenario, we calculated that this might actually lead to more than ten trillion dollars of additional commitment over the next decade.
Speaker 2: What are the financing options for governments if they want to try and increase this spending.
Speaker 11: Well, policy makers, they actually they face difficult trade offs between choosing whether they want to fund defense and other priorities like social programs, because on the one hand, governments have to do a major overhaul of the defense.
Speaker 10: Sector while also maintaining a clee. But on the other hand, they have other.
Speaker 9: Priorities like social programs and economic growth, so spending cuts and higher taxes may not be acceptable at this time, especially when these countries are facing additional social spending demands. These are driven by aging populations, pressure to spend more to address climate change, and also people are interested in reducing the tax burd but this just leads them with more borrowing. And during this prolonged era of higher interest rates, that's also very difficult because higher debt is going to push up borrowing costs, suppress economic growth, and further squeeze garment budgets.
Speaker 10: Essentially does leaves garment in.
Speaker 9: A difficult positions on what they need to prioritize and which is more important for their countries.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, it's going to be faced with some difficult choices. Thank you so much for being with us. Sploomberg's global economists Bargove Sakteville then on her research and this whole issue around defense spending. You can read more on this story. G seven faces a ten trillion dollar reckoning as the world races to rearm. It's on the bloom terminal.
Speaker 2: Well, the former Saint Louis FED President James Bullard has told Bloomberg his base case is still three interest rate cuts this year, but conviction in markets for three quarter point rate cuts is quickly dissipating. Tenure Treasury yields are a whisker from the four and a half percent level, and the first fully priced in rate cut has been pushed from June to September. Joining us now to discuss is our executive editor for Asian Markets, Paul Dubs And Paul, great to have you on treasury yields reaching their highest level of the year in trading on Monday. What's driving it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Hi, good morning, And I think the driver is still the follow through from the payrolls data that we had at the back end of last week that you know, was overwhelmingly positive for the economy, but also pointed to the idea that the Federal Reserve is going to need to keep those interest rates higher for longer, so driving a little bit of setting and pushing those yields higher. I think probably another question might be why didn't yields go highest still? And I think that what's kind of also interesting here is that we're starting to see more buyer accumulation wanting to come in and pick up those bonds when the yields get to these kinds of levels to lock in those higher interest rates. So we're a little bit of a sort of equilibrium perhaps in the market at these levels where there's where there's more demand, but also that continuing push the more positive economic data we get and the more inflationary the outlook. Plus we were just hearing about the outlook for government spending as well. That's one more factor to consider all of those pushing those yields up as well.
Speaker 1: What is the expectation then for Wednesday CPI data. We've seen some more inflationary pressures in the US. How significant will they be?
Speaker 4: I think I think that those are really good questions. It's probably too early to say. The market is just now waiting for the CPI figure, which isn't aunt all tomorrow US time, but the market is really just waiting for that CPI figure out. I'm very nervous about it as well, and I think that it's not just because the impact that it will have on treasury yields, but the implications that it could have for currency markets as well, which are at some very important sort of levels, particularly the Japanese yen trading against the dollar just below that one p fifty two level. If it weakens further and goes through that, then it could create more market turbulence. There's some big options expiries in the lights of the Australian dollar as well, all pinned around that event. Now, the data is supposed to show a slowdown in inflation, but the question is, you know, given all of the positive economic data that we've seen, particularly in terms of industrial production, manufacturing, those kinds of things, will we actually, you know, see that slow down, And even if we do, is that going to be enough to persuade the market that we're on that glide path to lower inflation? The Federal Reserve wants us to believe in so that it can begin to cut interest rates. So when you hear the Lights of Blood talking about three cuts this year is still the sort of benchmark the point that you want to measure off. At the moment, the market is icing in less cuts than that, and I think that's right. The market is expecting that the Federal Reserve might have to shift its view if we continue to get these economic surprises.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting to hear how how federal and rebserve policymakers current ones as well have been slightly shifting their narrative. Is there any indication that they're catching up with the marcuts joining the market and their views.
Speaker 4: It depends who you listen to. I think that some of the core policy makers, the likes of Mary Daily, the lakes of Lorettamester, have been on that same sort of line that the Blood was talking about three cuts is the baseline, which is right, you know, that's what they said in the dot plot, just that they're they're still counting in the possibility or the likelihood of three cuts. And I think the Powell has been queuing to that line quite closely as well. And I think that's why, you know, this inflation number could be quite important in change net. We do hear from, you know, others like Nil Kashkari who was saying, maybe we don't need to cut at all this year. So there is that sort of background murmuring going on, if you light, but it hasn't yet kind of come to the foreground in too much of the Fed speak. And that's why this number could be pivotal.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Daybreak Europe. Your morning brief on the stories making news from London to Wall Street and beyond.
Speaker 1: Look for us on your podcast feed every morning, on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: You can also listen live each morning on London Dab Radio, the Bloomberg Business app, and Bloomberg dot Com.
Speaker 1: Our flagship New York station, is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty. I'm Caroline Hipka and.
Speaker 2: I'm Stephen Carroll. Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg day Break Europe