Speaker 1: This is the Meat Eater Podcast coming at you shirtless, severely, bug bitten, and in my case, underwear listening podcast.
Speaker 2: You can't predict anything.
Speaker 1: The Meat Eater Podcast is brought to you by First Light. Whether you're checking trail cams, hanging deer stands, or scouting for ELK. First Light has performance apparel to support every hunter in every environment. Check it out at first light dot com. F I R S T L I T E dot com. All right, everybody, my wife's here. She wants to call this episode a pussing the pot. A pussing the pot.
Speaker 3: Definitely didn't want to call it that.
Speaker 1: Also joined by Andrew Rajalowski, who uh has then this is your what year?
Speaker 4: Fifteenth consecutive year.
Speaker 1: Fifteenth consecutive year being the camp cook, the camp cook at our fish shack.
Speaker 5: Yeah, fifteen years of cooking, i'd say, camp manager.
Speaker 1: Camp manager.
Speaker 6: We're still looking for an andy over for our place.
Speaker 5: Yeah, taking a week, Yeah we can we can talk later.
Speaker 1: Most eligible bachelor on San Juan Island.
Speaker 7: We're gonna pach it.
Speaker 1: I'm coming for fifteen years.
Speaker 3: I don't come. I don't come to the fish Shack without Andy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he doesn't like it come without Andy. Andy thinks people like him. They think people like.
Speaker 3: Him not only the best, the best guy to just be around and hang out with. He also like makes the experience because of the food.
Speaker 1: We're going to run through your repertoire of dishes keeps everybody happy. We're gonna run through your repertoire of dishes because you have like a you have a someday we're gonna we should do a book called Meals from the Coke. Yeah, oh, that'd be a good ideas and the very short cookbook.
Speaker 8: Yeah, just like two weeks worth of of dishes.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh man, Yeah, it's a great idea. There you go, pushing the pot. We'll get to.
Speaker 7: Questions. I can't.
Speaker 1: Well. I was also the episode Tickles Touches Takes either one of those Tickles Touches and.
Speaker 3: Takes, anything with tickles fish.
Speaker 1: Fishing, Tickles Touches and Takes a fishing show. I like that, you know, because there's tickles. Yeah, when you're fishing, there's tickles, there's touches, there's takes. So tickles touches and takes, there's also like.
Speaker 8: Like grabs and nibbles and smacks and bumps.
Speaker 3: Or pushing the pot, and especially because you're saying.
Speaker 1: Well, I had to say it that way because yesterday I'm gonna tell this whole story. It's a great story yesterday. So now and then I'll say something to annoying my wife and it won't take. So we're pulling shrimp pots and I was expressing my enthusiasm to catch an octopus, and I said, I hope we get a big octopus. Then a while later I said pussing the pot and she had zero response. So then I had to say at which point then she got annoyed, so I had to like, soup it up.
Speaker 3: I was annoyed, and I got the.
Speaker 1: Response I was. Then I got the response I was after, which was annoying.
Speaker 6: Do you hit that line every once in a while when you're out there.
Speaker 1: Just to see if it's still So I've been saying, I've been saying, uh, seth ye, owner of the part partial owner of the Rotten A Frame, his co owner Kelsey Morris, a co owner wife Colin, her wife Kelsey Morris, of the Rotten a Frame, and also the wonderful art gallery in three Forks, Montana. Boom, Yeah, plug the gallery. I've been telling you. She come on and plug your gas.
Speaker 7: Yeah. Thanks. The studio gallery and Three Forks literally the only art establishment in town. Three Forks, Montana. It's just my little studio and gallery. Imagine that.
Speaker 1: Kelsey used to be a like a you were like a fertilizer salesman.
Speaker 7: I sold agricultural implements.
Speaker 1: Yes, she sold agricultural implements and wanted to. You know, every artists dream of quitting their day job. Self taught painter quit her day job, but like built up to it. Yeah, did started selling work and doing commissions.
Speaker 7: Yep, did it all on the side for a very long time until it, you know, got to my wits end and just made the leap and then.
Speaker 1: Left your jade day job, opened a gallery where you sell your own work the works of others. Yes, and you work in there. And when people are in Three Forks, they can come in. You'll be in there working, yeah, and then you can see you. You kind of like them to watch you work.
Speaker 7: Do you people come and hang out and watch me work all the time. You know. It's kind of a cool experience because you just walk in the front door and whatever I'm working on them there. And then the gallery where I represent nine other really awesome artists. Is just right around the corner. So it's like a separate room. You can go in there and take your time and check it out, and you.
Speaker 1: Know, and you have your own work in there.
Speaker 7: Yeah. I have a wall, and then everybody else is kind of spread out across the other walls. It's not a huge space, but it's I've curated who I think are really a talented, talented collection. So everybody's different, nobody overlaps and subjects, so it's you know, that's awesome in my opinion.
Speaker 1: No, it's great. It's beautiful, and your work looks great, yeah all the time.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: My daughter's close on.
Speaker 7: Your heels is we're gonna work on that.
Speaker 1: She's an inspiring painter.
Speaker 7: I brought her some supplies.
Speaker 1: And also joining us today is my son, Jimbobwey. How you doing, Buddy Good? I told him to keep his answers very brief and to be very respectful, didn't I Yeah, see, Ill Good have a job he's doing That would have normally taken him a long time to say all that, but he got it done quick.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 1: So here, we're gonna talk about a couple of things and I'm gonna tell my my amazing octopus story with witnesses.
Speaker 7: I haven't heard this yet, by the way, So get ready.
Speaker 3: There's a couple of versions. I have a feeling already what versions of the octopus story?
Speaker 1: No, this is one version.
Speaker 7: I'm imagining the Kraken.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was like.
Speaker 6: That, like Steve has a couple of like a le Biathan, No, he has.
Speaker 3: You have your version. I have a feeling my version will be slightly different.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, because your version was experienced from as far away from the octopus as you can get.
Speaker 3: We had different motivations.
Speaker 1: Well, in the back of the boat.
Speaker 2: Mom's was also more of a near death experience, and yours was try to get in the boat. And Mom she.
Speaker 1: Was picturing us dying, and yeah, I was picturing us coming into the cove as heroes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, Mom was expecting you to not return to the cove.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 8: The fact, the fact that an octopus can give you the feel the fear of death means yeah, for this story, it was a lunker.
Speaker 1: Uh, and he just got back from Spain wherein he was eating octopus.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we ate a lot of octopuses.
Speaker 1: They obviously haven't caught on to that my Octopus Teacher movie over there. They haven't translated that to Spanish. We'll cover all things octopus. Oh and also when we talk about octopus, I want to talk about that story from Puget Sound, which was probably touched on it before. I'll tell it later. Yeah, Uh, Maui, this is an interesting story. You know what when UH programs like Hunters for the Hungary and other programs where you are able to donate wild game and then the wild game will go, they'll usually grind it to burger. Generally you donate dear me, dear mea gets ground to Burger and it goes to families in need. Oddly, in Hawaii that was not legal, so they have this. They have a what some people regard to be what I'm choosing my words careful here, what some people regard to be a problem with way too many access deer. So that would mean in the eyes of everyone who doesn't hunt access deer, there are too many access deer, and the eyes of people who hunt and eat access deer, they probably have a feeling that things are just right. So they have a lot of access deer on Maui. They're trying to incentivize and help lower numbers. It's a non native of course, access deer. I know this just from when I hunted access here in Hawaii, where a gift from someone from the Indian subcontinent where they're native to had given them to like King Kameya Kamea the third gave them some access to deer, and now they're running all over, holy hell, all over the Hawaiian islands.
Speaker 7: They have no predators, right.
Speaker 1: No, nothing. So up until HB one three eight to two or Act fifty four, nonprofits were not allowed to donate game meat to under resource communities, including the homeless. But Governor Josh Green, who I know nothing about, just signed a law saying that now you can donate the meat. The problem now they have the bottleneck now is they just don't have a lot of processing capabilities, and people have touched on the fact. People have touched on the act of Hawaii's food. We're gonna there's another story I want to talk about that gets into this too. Hawaii has very low food autonomy. They're heavily reliant on outside resources and they don't have a lot of in state capabilities to process meat. But they're sitting on some sixty thousand axes deer, plus wild hogs, goats and sheep. They have people who are underserved and in need of food, and so they're trying to clean up a system or develop a system, and clean up the legal obstacles to being able to kill access deer and get the meat to the needy. You guys will think anything about that, Jimmy, what do you think about that? Buddy?
Speaker 2: I don't really understand it.
Speaker 1: But okay, there's an island, Yes, it has a bunch of deer on it.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're in.
Speaker 3: When we went to MAUI spent time with.
Speaker 1: It was illegal to shoot a deer and donate the meat for a nonprofit, to take deer meat and donate it to people who don't have enough food.
Speaker 2: Well, I understand that part of it.
Speaker 1: Now it's legal.
Speaker 3: What's the uh?
Speaker 1: So you do understand?
Speaker 3: What's the argument against doing that?
Speaker 1: I have no idea.
Speaker 5: I know, in just being in the food industry, you butt up against a lot of legal stuff when you're trying to give people food, just because everybody's so happy to two eat each other, you know, I end up with a lot of leftover stuff. But anything that's been pre cooked or out of the package is just a no no because you don't know where it's been or how it's been handled. And I kind of treat it the same way if people say, oh, we have all this leftover stuff. I don't know if it's been sitting in the trunk of somebody's car for two days, and then I serve it to people and then you get, you know, three hundred people sick.
Speaker 4: So it is I understand that.
Speaker 5: But if there was a facility that was set up specifically for processing that went right to you know, like you said, they need to clean up that system and be able to get it directly to the people that they need to.
Speaker 4: Get it to.
Speaker 1: Funny you mention that because this article goes on to say how federal regulations complicate the situation. Because wild animals such as deer are considered non amendable species, federal officials won't inspect them for free. Yeah, However, they'll inspect cow's, chicken, pigs, and other farm raised meat animals for free. So someone's selling wild game commercially. Now, there's two very different things we're talking about here. I am, generally, I'm not a subject matter expert on what's going on in Hawaii. I am generally absolutely opposed to the commercial sale of the commercial of hunter harvested wild game. Sure not the donation of but they're talking about anyone interested in selling wild game commercially has to pay hafty inspection fees, like they have to foot the bill on the inspection fees hundreds of dollars per hour. And in Hawaii they don't have a lot of people interested in going into the meat processing business. Now this ties into another point made by somebody else. An article just came out in the What are is this? In the Independent? So the Independent, which is weird because it's a brit publication that seems to cover a lot of US wildlife issue stuff. Oddly, in the Independent, there's an article about a landlord in Brooklyn, New York, who has put in a prohibition from their tenants cooking meat. You can only cook vegan meals in their apartment build.
Speaker 7: On what is that?
Speaker 1: You can order taken you can order take out with meat, You cannot cook meat in their apartment building. Exactly why they are vegan. There are fourteen protected classes of people in New York, and food choice is not one of them. You can't discriminate by age, religion, gender, but you can discriminate by what folks like to eat for supper.
Speaker 3: What if someone, though, had like a really serious peanut allergy, like those people on the plane that you can't even you know, when the stewardess comes on, she's like, there's someone with a very severe allergy.
Speaker 1: So these people identify as full freaking be Vegan, right.
Speaker 3: But what my question is is if somebody is if you're a landlord and you live in a residence and you're super you have a super sensitive food allergy, could you say you.
Speaker 1: Can't Well, yeah, because there's no there's no law saying that they can't say this.
Speaker 3: But would that be I mean that it sounds ridiculous.
Speaker 1: It sounds ridiculous, but they're totally covered. And I don't and I don't think that. I don't think that this is one of those areas where my personal feelings about food go up against my feelings about personal liberty.
Speaker 7: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: I don't think it should be illegal. I think that a landlord should be able to have much more latitude than they do have about who they rent to. So I'm not arguing that a landlord like I would say, if you own a home and you're renting it out that people can stay there, I would think you should have massive latitude about who you choose to rent it to. And I would even open up the idea that some of these things that are prohibited by the law should be fair game for a landlord to choose who lives in their place, just as a person who believes in some level of like like a high level of personal autonomy about what you're doing, what you're doing with your property that's not having a downstream effect on destroying other people's lives.
Speaker 3: Surprising to me that you would be on the landlord's side here.
Speaker 7: I think on that flip side of that, there's definitely a handful of tenant potential tenets in New York people that would be like, that's my jam, sign me up, I'll pay you know what I mean, Like, we view that as a total negative, but I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, people would pay a premium for Yeah, I don't I don't like it, But I'm just saying I would never say I like, I think to myself, that's that's disdainful. But I wouldn't come and argue that the law should be otherwise because those sorts of liberties mean as much or more to me as does what you have.
Speaker 7: What's the threshold for you to change your mind? How many land lords would it take? I own my home for you too? Well, I mean just for the folks out there you know that are renting, Like what, at what point does it limit housing for.
Speaker 1: I don't foresee that becoming a problem.
Speaker 3: Sure, Steve, though, when we lived in New York up until eight years ago, we rented, and nine years ago, I guess we rented every place we ever lived in, and you broke every.
Speaker 9: Rule that.
Speaker 3: The landlord gave you, like don't store stuff in the basement, We like colonize the entire basement with all of our stuff.
Speaker 1: The squirrels have we caught in our own yard?
Speaker 2: We did?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't even check about that rule. I was assuming that wasn't a rule. A guy and the guy that rode in with this. So a listener named Jake sent in that story and went on to say he's experienced this. He had a place, he was a renter. He's a spear fisherman from Hawaii, once rented the house in Heilo is helo Am. I saying that right, that would that they didn't want anyone cooking any meat or fish. Okay, because they said they did this landlord didn't wanted to cleanse the house of foul smells to keep foul smells away. And he goes on to bring up this idea about in Hawaii. Hawaii has very low food autonomy and everything comes in. There's a huge business to it coming in. A lot of money is made in transporting storing food. So he said, if you in this idea of counter culturalism that comes from being like Noah cooking of meat in my home, he said, the most punk rock thing you can do in Hawaii. If you're in Hawaii and you really want to stick it to the man, he says, support your local farmers and harvest your own food in whatever means you have is the way to stick it to the man in Hawaii. And thinks that this person who doesn't want them a spear fisherman cooking the fish he killed, has it all wrong.
Speaker 7: Mhm.
Speaker 3: I'd be curious to know with the with the food program, if there's anyone that is opposed to it, Like, I wonder what Kimmy thinks about that. I wonder what Danny thinks about that.
Speaker 1: Oh, you mean the oh back to the the first No, I think it's one of those. It's probably one of those issues. We had a guy on the episode called the Lung King. We had a guy on who he's a doctor, and one day he uncovered. So if you go back in the scroll back in the episode, you'll come to an episode called the Lung King. We recorded that at the height of the Liver King's uh popularity, so we called the Lung King.
Speaker 8: For his downfall.
Speaker 1: Uh. Just a physician was on in. The physic had taken an interest in eating organs and cultural biases around organ consumption and the hagas a very popular dish in Scotland which has lung in it, and realized that the sale and distribution of lung in the US it's illegal really, and he has well, why in the world would that be? And it was based on this very antiquated understanding of disease transmission that doesn't hold up. It was like based that it was just had been in there once, it was put in there at some point. Under this idea which has been is not in fact true, that lungs were like more likely eating lung was more likely to spread disease than X, Y and Z proteins, And it just was a law. And he's been lobbying to get the law overturned and had some success. At it was just something was sitting on the books, and whoever put it there has sort of lost track of why it was there.
Speaker 7: There's a ton of stuff like that.
Speaker 1: And and so this this Hawaii situation probably something at some point in time someone said you shouldn't be able to do that, Yeah, for sure, and then they sort of forgot what it was that happened.
Speaker 3: What's the organization that's doing it again, that's cool, it's cool.
Speaker 1: I don't even know who's doing it. It's just the governor signed a law saying you can't that non I don't know any of the nonprofits that are fixing to do it, but the governor signed a law saying that they can sell it.
Speaker 3: I feel like though I saw something about this on Tim Ferriss's Instagram.
Speaker 7: I think there's a private company that's doing it.
Speaker 1: They're trying to sell it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, so that this is totally separated.
Speaker 1: This is more like Hunters for the Hungary.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was a whole other movement to try to shoot it and sell it. But this is trying to shoot it and donate it to God God it got it, which were allowed like here here in the on the mainland, even though we're not in the main right now down there on the mainland, that's very common that we have a ton of programs where people can get venison. If you're if you're trying to lower dear numbers onto your property, you can get venison. Donate that venison to a food bank. They will pay for they generally will pay for processing. They have it all ground up, and then that ground meat can go into various communities in need.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: Here's a crazy one. This was reported in time. Remember those guys, I didn't know. There's still an action. Uh insane. Thirty seven this is great. Thirty seven people, uh, thirty seven people bitten by sharks so far in twenty twenty three on the on the Atlantic seaboard. Is that a lot real ordered to New York? Thirty seven? Bites?
Speaker 3: How many fatalities I have?
Speaker 1: I'm not reading about any fatalities. Bytes. That's just the Atlantic New York to Florida.
Speaker 7: What's the what's common? Like, what's an acceptable number? Is that more?
Speaker 1: I don't know that that's unacceptable, and I just know that it's that I feel like a lot. It's a real spike. They say that, you know, like every article, and this isn't the I'm not dogging on climate activists, but climate activists like to take anything and make it about so this is y. It's like it's hot. Since it's so hot, more people are going to the beach.
Speaker 3: So it doesn't they're not saying there's different activity in sharks because the.
Speaker 1: Well, no, here's what's going on. They're not making that what's going on with sharks is finning has been banned for a couple of decades. Now it's like after so when we used to have a poison campaign on we used to fund at the federal level the poisoning of predators. And now when you look in mountain, lion populations are expanding and growing all around the country, and they're colonizing new areas. Black bear populations expanding and colonizing new areas, wolf populations expanding, grizzly bear populations expanding. You're still feeling that, You're still feeling that chain that the effect of that regulatory change to stop the poisoning campaign of predators and other predator protections. So when they banned finning, like in international waters and some state waters, you used to be able to go out and just collect shark fins, which are valuable. Then they changed it where a vessel. I might have my numbers wrong, but it's something like a vessel that's transporting shark parts. Fins can only comprise I don't have the numbers exactly right, but fins. It's something like this, fins can only comprise thirty percent of your total shark part hall that you bring into port, which makes it economically like infeasible to effectively shark. Other states have outright said other states of outright just done away with any kind of commercial shark harvest. So you're seeing just shark numbers. We're seeing the effects of all the all the shark protection where this recovery and expansion of shark numbers. But this is trying to make a hook. So this article in Time, No, this one's from Bloomberg to I'm looking at two articles, one from Time talking about a lot of shark bites, one from Blueberg that they're expanding the drone fleet in New York, which looks for sharks. So they're gonna spend a million bucks deploying forty two drones to scout beaches so you can put a drone up in the air and scout for sharp arks. And they're saying, how say they wanted to see for you folks who didn't study journalism when you were youngsters, you need a hook. So yet not for fishing sharks, but for journalism your hook would be I was almost confused there, why now? Why now? Right? So you go to an editor, if you're a writer, You're like, hey, I want to write a thing about cattle rustling and they're like, well, why, now, what's the hook? Well, this is hyperlinked record shattering heat driving lots of people to the beaches where they might get bit by a shark.
Speaker 3: I mean that is terrifying though. Yeah, man as a mom too, having kids in the ocean.
Speaker 5: So if they collecked all this edit from the drone footage, then what's the.
Speaker 1: Solution there to close? They just use it to watch for sharks cause they got to close the beach.
Speaker 5: Are they beaches or do they just close them all? Close them?
Speaker 1: They're putting a drone up when people swiming, they're putting a drowne up to watch for great whites and stuff coming in.
Speaker 2: Wait, great, why great whites? Aren't they like the least of like likely to attack people's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're bad muthered liquors, and so, I mean there's probably other sharks as well, but I think that's a real scary one. That's not who's biting folk.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Yeah, I think it's like.
Speaker 3: More Jimmy, you were just swimming with smelling your own over here?
Speaker 1: Did you pause? No, you're still wrong.
Speaker 3: I think we could probably take a little break to make sure the shark's not gonna explode.
Speaker 1: It's not, because if it was gonna blowup, it already would have done it. Because the pilot.
Speaker 2: Lights lit kind of looked.
Speaker 1: Here's a correction, not a correction on a recent app. So, my lovely bride and I years ago this you might remember this. This is the kind of thing, you know, you remember this long ago? We were in Salta, Argentina, yep, And we went to see those inc and yep children that were killed and sacrificed on a high mountaintop and they were perfectly preserved. And I believe the one that was on display when we were there had been struck by lightning.
Speaker 3: Yes it was the girl.
Speaker 1: So okay, so way back picture that. Whoa, it's sort of like it's not really but kind of like this okay, fourteen ninety one, sure, okay, so you're it's this last glimpse of the Incan Empire pre European contact. And they had these children already told this story once to bear with me if you've heard it. So they were able to get stable isotopes on these children, and these these children that I'm speaking of, these three kids kind of my kids ages.
Speaker 7: Better watch yourself.
Speaker 1: Stable isotopes from their bodies suggest that they had lived on potatoes their entire life.
Speaker 3: You about the propane smell, Sorry, I feel.
Speaker 1: Like we're list.
Speaker 3: I mean I feel like it's like valid enough to check out.
Speaker 1: I had to change propane tanks. All of the pilots went out. I was trying to get the burner lit. I was, oh, the tank's out. So I opened two doors for cross ventilation.
Speaker 3: Should we open up?
Speaker 1: When in lit? The pilots heated up. This reheat coffee. There's a residual, there's an additive and pro paane. What's that stuff called?
Speaker 3: To make you smell it, so you don't.
Speaker 1: Like you wouldn't smell it. There's an additive. And one day my buddy, my late buddy who just to bring this full circle, his picture is hanging above the vacuum steeler over there. He one time was in which I think I believe he was in Wichita, Kansas, and the whole town smelled like it was going to blow up. And it wound up being the place that makes the ship you put in pro paane to give it its smell, had had a leak. They leaked the stuff you put in propane to make propane smell. So he said, it gave you the unnerving feeling that you were going to blow the entire planet up if you lit a match.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm going to open up the other door because I feel like maybe it's psychosomatic, but it is hot here too.
Speaker 1: Where was I James? Or was I stable? The children child are eating potatoes. So these kids had just eaten taters, it seems, and then they had experienced months of this very diet full of meats and fishes and things, and they had these children were sacked and buried in this little rock cavern with literally hundreds of emblems and little treasures and carvings and gold and ivory items, and it seems as though they had selected some children for whatever however they selected them. They had selected some children and taken these children on a tour through the Incan Empire, and throughout this tour were regaled with with all of these treasures and offerings. Then the children were taken up to this peak like fourteen thousand feet and gotten. They got them drunk on a rice. They got them drunk on a nut rice. They got them drunk on a fermented potato beverage I believe, I can't remember what it. A fermented corn drink. They were giving them cocoa leaves, which helps with elevation. They got them drunk, and it seems like the thirteen year old girl maybe realized what was going to happen and didn't like it because they had struck her in the head, But the other younger kids were just fine. It seems they got them wasted, yeah, arranged them in this rock cavern on top of this peak, and just left them there as offerings.
Speaker 3: I thought the strike in the head was from the lightning. No.
Speaker 1: Then, over the subsequent centuries, at some point in time, one of them was struck by lightning.
Speaker 7: How were they so well preserved?
Speaker 1: Just we're getting to my correction. It's so cold. And I had years ago, when I was working on an article about freeze dried food, I had read up on sublimation, and I had later read that the moisture and that they sublimated, meaning the moisture in their bodies went from a frozen to a gaseous state and never melted. So you could still see like they were buried with feathers and things, and it's perfect. You could recognize the child. They only they're only allowed to display one at a time, and it's like you're looking at a it's like you expect the child to wake up.
Speaker 7: That is freaky geez.
Speaker 1: Very well preserved, but centuries old. Right. So I had talked about how they were sublimated, and some person wrote in with a very intimidating correction that they were not in fact sublimated. And I read that correction and I took my lumps and said, okay, at doing took my lumps. Then a guy rode in to say, that guy doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. God, they did sublimate. He said, you can go watch. Go out on a dry winter day. He points out to Montana Souse. I live there, he says, go out and watch on a dry winter day, snow on a hillside. It never gets it never gets above freezing, and snow on the hillside it does vanished. Nothing's wet, it just vanishes. You're watching that, So that snow sublimates. That could be like not melting, it's just evaporating.
Speaker 3: That could be a new game. You know how you like the game alive or dead, and you talk about that or alive. This could be like sublimated.
Speaker 1: Yeah, talk about a freaking thing and then talk about whether it's sublimated or not. Subamate shams all the time. This guy's saying, so take that.
Speaker 3: So you take yeah, the think I am or you mean that guy is?
Speaker 1: Oh, the guy that wrote in is me and him are right?
Speaker 3: The last guy. I want the first guy to jump back in right now.
Speaker 1: You'll hear from him. Here's the thing that has nothing to do with anything. And if someone wrote in about an interesting thing and I don't think they really get what I'm talking about, but it's still interesting, does that make sense? Yep? The streisand effect.
Speaker 7: Mm.
Speaker 1: Okay, you've familiar with this.
Speaker 7: I can't define it for you, but yeah.
Speaker 1: And we have covered exhaustively and will continue to cover the Wyoming corner crossing case because of its implications to land access. Meaning there are millions of federally managed public lands that you can't get to. But if you were allowed to corner cross meaning you picture a checkerboard land ownership, and the black squares are public and the white squares are private. If you were if it was legal to without stepping on the white, to step from the black to the black right, that would open up millions of acres of access. It's a contentious issue. So we've covered a case that the whole world is watching. Well, that's say the whole country is watching. The whole country is watching this Wyoming corner crossing case. And I have repeatedly over the years of covering this brought up that I equate them, and then I apologize for the analogy. I like to point out that they were not.
Speaker 3: That.
Speaker 1: Initially I thought that the Missouri hunters that did the famous corner crossing in Wyoming which led to this big legal challenge, I thought that they were activists, I assumed they were activists who were trying to get arrested in order to test something in the courts. And I had said I had imagined them as being a Rosa Parks like figure doing civil disobedience. But they were just dudes from Missouri who thought they found a sweet hunting spot. Oh no, this guy's comment does make a little bit of sense. They never had the intention. And we were talking about how now this landowner, No, this guy's exactly right. The more I think this through and I'll get to it, the landowner used to have a problem with four dudes from Missouri now and then corner crossing onto his place. But this guy now is gonna have it's gonna you know that famous picture during the Alaska Gold Rush of people coming out of wait here and going up that going up that mountain to get into the Yukon. That's what this dude's corner is gonna look like from now on.
Speaker 7: The stris in effect, is like when you draw attention to something, all.
Speaker 1: These guy's exactly right. Had that guy just shut up, yeah, instead of those Missouri dudes, listen, I see what y'all are up to here, And once you come over and have a cup of coffee. Let's just keep this between us. You keep hunting because if this gets out, it's gonna be a shit show. Yeah, but it's out. So Barbara Streisand I'd never heard this. Barbara Streisand long ago was in a had a photo of her home in Malibu taken. It was about coastal erosion. So a journalist was covering coastal erosion and catches a photo of Barbo Streisand outside her home in Malibu, which was suffering from coastal erosion. She wanted it taken down. It somehow had wound up in the public record, and she wanted her photo of her outside of her house in Malibu not part of the public record. She takes it to court. Prior to her taking it to court, the story even though the photo was part of the public record, the photo had been accessed six times twice by her own lawyer. Okay, after the lawsuit became public in the news, it racked up hundreds of thousands of downloads. That's the Streisand effect that Also guy wrote in speaking of we talked about we had the guest on David Grant, author of the wager, making another one of David Grand's books, Killers of the Flower Moon into a movie. Stgel Simpson is in that movie, and someone wanted just let us know that Stgil Simpson was also in a zombie movie in twenty nineteen. Thanks for the note called the Dead Don't Die. Big thing about another starvation experience, We're not going to get into. And the last thing I want to cover is this, And James, I think you'll take great interest in this. Ready for this, yep, especially because buddy, you don't know this because you were too little. You know that photo on our fridge. You guys always putting the magnets over everybody's body parts. Oh yeah, because your kids are all skinny. Dipping in the river right there, This what he's talking about was right there in Caliicoon on the Delaware River. We used to fish there a lot, and you like to fish there when you were super little. I grew up. This is a guy right in what's his name, Dan? I grew up along the Upper Delaware River between Callicoon and Hancock. That was our float. We would float from Calicoon to hand Hancock, a stretch of river in which we caught nine species of game fish. My grandfather first started tapping for bullhead in the river back in the nineteen forties. He would get so many bullhead that he would sell them to local bait shops who would buy them, who would sell them to small mouth bass fishermen. Three to five inch bullhead, he says, the best small mouth bass bait, and he would tap for him. Now you probably wonder what that means. Yeah, what that means, I'll tell you. It involves waiting in zero to eighteen inches of water along the bank zero and you gotta get a big hammer. Okay, walk up to a rock. Let me know when you raise your hand. When you know this is going Andy and Seth have raised their hands. You walk up to a rock with a big hammer, I imagine, yeah, or.
Speaker 7: Another rock because it's underneath what.
Speaker 1: Then you flip the rock. It will stun the bullhead and knock it unconscious. Its white belly will be turned up, scoop it up, put in a perforated bucket that's out sitting in the current, and if within a few minutes, you'll be woken up and back to fine.
Speaker 4: Oh there, I guess that hot little tip stunner.
Speaker 1: He says. Wally dogs and eels won't lean the loone either. He has poked around online and has never ever found anyone talking about tapping bullheads. Tubers, kayakers, canoers from the city come by, see you out there with the hammer, and they just look at you.
Speaker 7: I imagine.
Speaker 8: So I used to fish in Delaware a bit, but it was further downstream around stocked it and then Washington's crossing.
Speaker 1: Oh what fish there? O patriotic?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What if you just like hit the rock too hard with the hammer and just kind of crushed the bullhead?
Speaker 1: Well, I think you ought to walk out the door here and get a hammer and go see if you can tap some sculpings.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you can some.
Speaker 1: Extra tools and then leave your tools down below the tideline. Then I find them later and scream at you once. Yeah. Jimmy the r day lost a pair of my fishing flyers, and I got a text from Brody who's up here with us, And Brody said, Jimmy deep six, you're fishing plyers and sweating bullets. Yeah, I was down here at the end.
Speaker 6: We're working on stuff at our place, and Jimmy paddles over and he goes, hey, Seys, I got a.
Speaker 1: Question for you.
Speaker 6: I was like, what, he goes, what would you do if you lost your dad's flyers?
Speaker 1: And Jimmy went to multiple neighbors. He went and asked our other neighbor, what advice did he give you?
Speaker 2: To be up front and he won't be mad, but he first offered just to give us new pairs.
Speaker 7: Of flyerst sneaky.
Speaker 1: Uh, this we haven't covered. This is an old story now and it was covered on the meat eater dot com. But I just wanted to touch on it real quick. This would be a good one. This is for James. New Zealand has a feral cat problem. James and they and they every year they try to kill some millions of cats or whatever. They used to have a thing where they would get a bunch of youngsters from school to go out and kill cats. It's a biosecurity issue.
Speaker 2: Probu well.
Speaker 1: The one piece of advice to the youngsters don't kill any people's pets.
Speaker 2: What how would you really tell the difference.
Speaker 1: You win money killing cats. Collar is proud of the difference. Animal welfare groups have shut it down. They would prefer professionals be out killing those cats and not kids.
Speaker 3: I just.
Speaker 1: For why in the world. Kids wouldn't be allowed if the country's trying to get rid of cats, that they can't do their patriotic duty and get rid of cats.
Speaker 3: Because I feel like there's like a slippery slope.
Speaker 7: Killing cats is like the number one sign of a Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, Steve, you used to kill cats for cash. Yeah, so that's probably why you feel like.
Speaker 1: I used to use some cat work. But it's important to point out cat work for dairy farmers.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm not saying that you were in this latter category. They were just talking about like sociopathic children that were just killing cats.
Speaker 1: Five bucks cat for dairy farmers who were trying to keep to control feline distemper.
Speaker 2: I feel like, how do you.
Speaker 3: Tell a kid like go out and fill that cat but not another cat? Like, wouldn't that be confusing?
Speaker 2: Well, first off, I'm a kid, so I can say this. Yep. Kids are dumb, especially when you were to give a kid a weapon and tell him to look for something on a cat that would make it different from another cat. Like, I don't think that they'd be very good at following those rules.
Speaker 1: You guys aren't ever gonna be on this show again.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not saying anything against it. I'm just saying that.
Speaker 7: Accurate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, organizers, where do this?
Speaker 4: Where's this article.
Speaker 1: From BBC h organizers of the North Canterbury Hunting Competition announced the cancelation of the cat event on Tuesdays, saying they had received vile in inappropriate emails, probably one probably for my wife. We are disappointed and apologize for those who are excited to be involved in something that is about protecting our native birds and other vulnerable species.
Speaker 7: This is a it's a tough one. But do we have to involve the kids? It's my question, like, you know.
Speaker 1: If only people who knew the damage wild cats cause around the place one local route, they also affect our farming. Goes on to point out all the right and now the author of the article in the end even comes around to the recognition that they should kill these cats, but they would like to see professionals killing.
Speaker 2: How do you be a professional killing cats? Doesn't seem like I don't.
Speaker 1: Know, you just call yourself, I don't know.
Speaker 2: You just got like kids name tame the little badge owner that says, I'm appreciate.
Speaker 1: They start trying to buy it back and then adding cats to the hit list, though, is a politically contentious issue. It's not a question of whether these invasive felines should be cold, but who should do the killing. Then they go on to have a nice little cliche. It's not rocket science. Not rocket science cat killing. It should be undertaken only by experienced people using approved and proven humane methods, certainly not children.
Speaker 3: How young is too from.
Speaker 1: Handling, handing them guns and desensitizing them to animal cruelty. We should be teaching them empathy toward animals.
Speaker 3: How young is too young to kill a cat?
Speaker 7: Steve?
Speaker 1: How young is too young to kill a rat? I remember your kid being killing a rat? So young he shot in his underwear. Yeah, I got him out of bed. We got him out of bed to get it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was like five or six.
Speaker 1: And look at how pathological he is now.
Speaker 3: I'm asking a legitimate question, like.
Speaker 1: How how old was he then? He was? He was in bed before it got dark out. When was the last time you did that?
Speaker 7: Two weeks ago?
Speaker 3: Sticking in the summer times exactly?
Speaker 1: Alright, So I'm gonna tell my I'm gonna tell my octaal story, all right, So pulling shrimp pots and uh, the other day we got a small octopus pulling shrimp pots, and we went out. We were having a hell of a terrible pull. One pot had I don't know what happened. One pot had You never see this zero had nothing in it? Not a hermit crab. Really, that's rare. I don't know what happened. I feel like it landed on something or.
Speaker 3: I don't know the bait was not.
Speaker 1: I can't forgot bait untouched. Not a hermit crab. It must I can't picture what it landed on. It must have landed on. Like I don't know nothing. You get irish lords. Here's what all you get. You get squat lobsters, Irish lords. I've seen rockfish come up in them. Uh, starfish, juvenile tanners, sea stars, starfish, hermit crabs, molluscs, coon, striped shrimp, spot prawns, you name it, different, box crabs.
Speaker 4: Anything down there that's hungry.
Speaker 1: Nothing come up in this thing. And I got to saying, if we could get a big octopus. It turned this day around. And then I said, you know, so we're pulling pots, and I love my my shrimp. And Mentor Ron Layton once told me pulling pots always have a gaff ready, because he said, now and then a big puss.
Speaker 3: I know, it's just it's speaking of pathological A.
Speaker 1: Big octopus, thank you. What's the diameter of a hole on a shrimp pot?
Speaker 4: Andy? Oh? Yeah, what is it? Two to three inches?
Speaker 1: Two inch diameter hole? A big octopus? You got a twenty pound octopus get into a shrimp pot by putting one arm in and then they squished their head in and they bench. You get all their arms in there, and they'll get in there, and a lot of times you'll pull it up and the octopus just be in there and you it defies logic how he can wiggle himself in there, but they can just get in through the funnel. But my shrimping mentor taught me that. Now and then you get a big one and he'll ride the trap up, and it's good to have a gaff so you can get him and drag him in the boat. And he in particularly, would would make a wonderful smoked octopus. And he would jar it, and he would jar it without member, not a lot of liquid. He would like tenderize it, boil it, smoke it. He'd smoke the arms, cut the arms up and then and then jar them, but only like a quarter inch of liquid. It Basically you could rattle it around. The octopus pressure canned octopus, very good dish. His mother was Simshian, that was her uh native Alaskan. So he always told me that we're pulling pots, and and I'm always stand up on the bottle of the boat and stare down and see the pot come up. I don't know why, and I can't even make out what I'm seeing, like it's like it doesn't like what I'm seeing doesn't register. And what happens is a pot comes up and it is draped with an octopus the likes of which I have never seen in my life.
Speaker 7: What color was it?
Speaker 3: Orange?
Speaker 1: Orange?
Speaker 7: Bright like bright orange.
Speaker 1: That's cool. Can you check me on this? If I was holding the end of one of his arms right here, yeah, Jimmy could get not to that counter over there, but a good way toward that counter, and he'd beholding the other arm.
Speaker 7: Geez, oh my god, I wish I could.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll get to what all how strong this thing was?
Speaker 8: That's like what sixteen eighteen feet now on that big.
Speaker 1: But way the meat of Jimmy.
Speaker 7: How big was the head like that's what pull the.
Speaker 1: Man on it like Seth's waist, you know, maybe like my weight. Just understandything like it? I mean arms like like arms like my thighs at the base.
Speaker 5: I'm not ye the video that I saw where it came off of the main body, where all the legs came together.
Speaker 7: We have a video.
Speaker 3: I'm massive, Katie. Yes, I were you freaking out?
Speaker 1: I didn't know they got like that. I grabbed the gaff.
Speaker 3: No, could you see all this whole? Like my fishing mentor always told me to have a gaff ready. The gaff was not ready. You did not have the gaff.
Speaker 1: I did grab the gaf. I gaffed it.
Speaker 3: No, you said, hand me the gaff, and then the gaff was stuck, and you give me.
Speaker 9: The damn gas.
Speaker 7: So you did not have the.
Speaker 3: Gaff ready when you were standing at the.
Speaker 2: Front of the boat.
Speaker 1: Left so much chaos. Always say to have.
Speaker 3: The gas ready, yes, which you did not.
Speaker 1: Well, not that big of a boat, he.
Speaker 3: Said, hand me the gas, and then we got you the gas.
Speaker 1: I left detail. He was carrying shrimp under his arms like person hall in firewood. The first thing I was doing was getting all of our shrimp back because she was like unfurling himself from the thing, and I'm throwing shrimp into the boat. He's got like remember that time one thing he opened up, Tell what happened?
Speaker 5: He was so he just yeah, I had a whole cash of all kind of stuff that.
Speaker 1: Was he snag on accident.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I pulled that thing up and went it unfurled it. Yeah, I just had a cash of all kinds of.
Speaker 1: Goods like stuff he's bringing home with him. This guy, I'm like, he's all tangled and everything, and I'm just fireing shrimp into the boat.
Speaker 9: True, that's true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 7: I have a question about carri shrimp.
Speaker 1: Everybody's got them all wrapped up?
Speaker 7: Were his eyes and how big are they?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 7: How big?
Speaker 1: So if my fist is his mantle, his eyes are like.
Speaker 7: Here, how big were they? You have a visual. I'm just trying to it happens looked.
Speaker 3: Happened so quickly. But also also I was a little bit reluctant to give you the gaff and I realized what this is is I'm gonna really, you know, cast myself here as someone who is a show an anime of the show. But after the cat conversation. But I like my initial instinct was not like to kill him gaff that thing.
Speaker 1: She thought it was a bit much. I was like that a little octopus, but she thought that this was a large I was totally.
Speaker 3: In awe of it. And and also I was like I said to you, I was like, what's the what's your plan? Like, what's your plan? What are you going to do?
Speaker 9: Like get it into the boat?
Speaker 3: And then I mean this thing was like as big as the boat, and so like he was thinking like next step, like grab it, But then it was like, well what if it grabs him? What if it like.
Speaker 7: Pulls him in?
Speaker 3: You know? And then I'm like, also, like that's a huge octopus. Do we need that much octopus? That we're really going to eat that much octopus?
Speaker 1: That yes, you're saying all this. I told her I'm going to smoke it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So she's like, not gonna do this, and I'm like, maybe we just like watch it, yeah and then let it go.
Speaker 7: That might have been my reaction, but I have no idea what I would.
Speaker 1: Honestly, I'll get to it. That's all right, that's not now for all you people who are all hopped up on the octopus teacher, My octopus teacher. I'm gonna tell you something. We catch you you. How often do you catch octopus with all eight of his arms? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Not that often.
Speaker 1: They always losing their arms. I think, Hell, but tear them all.
Speaker 3: Some asshole with a gaff.
Speaker 1: No, I want you to know that this story, Like, just to be clear, octopus can lose his whole damn arm. We recently called an octopus that was running out of arms. Were you there for that?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: He had like missing one, he had a half of one.
Speaker 7: Look rough, they regrow, right.
Speaker 1: They regrow their arms. He's unfurling himself and I'm trying to get our shrimp back and whatnot. And then I take the gaff. And so this is a hal of a gaff. And imagine a night stick, like an old fashioned cop from an old fashioned cop movie from back when they had like Union Busters and whatnot, like an old fashioned cop night stick, a little mini baseball bat, and out of it, at a forty five degree angle is a stainless steel spike about three eighths diameter at the base maybe comes to a fine point. No, barb, what's that spike? Seven inches long? Eight inch spike coming at a forty five degree angle and it's you into a fish. I take the gaff and I and he he's got these big, meaty arms, and I fought into the base of one of his arms, okay, and I'm trying to get him in the boat. But you can't budge this thing because at this point he's latched on to the underside of the boat.
Speaker 7: And probably so strong to.
Speaker 1: The point where I've got a foot over the boat. I'm straddling the gunwale trying to use one of my feet to get his arms freed up.
Speaker 7: So he detached from the pot and attached to the boat.
Speaker 1: Yes, stuck like all over the boat, and I'm trying to pry him free.
Speaker 3: He's looking he's looking back at me and Kate and these guys are He's like, so you're just gonna stand there, just stare, just stand there, and we're like, what do you want us to do?
Speaker 1: So then finally her friend also named Katie, springs into action and she grabbed was a harpoon shaft. But we don't have my big dive knife that I keep strapped to the boat for bleeding fish. That's not in there. Because I wasn't in my normal boat. We don't have the harpoon head. We just have a harpoon shaft, and we're trying to use the harpoon shaft to pry him off.
Speaker 7: But you don't have eight people.
Speaker 1: The next day, this morning, I realized I could have just started harvesting the arms one at a time.
Speaker 3: That would have been so upsetting.
Speaker 1: Which didn't occur to me at the time. Just to start harvesting arms, yeah, growing back and do catch and release. That's like a sustainable harvest. So I got him, and he's working his way down away from me under the boat, and I am giving it all of my power holding the scalff handle.
Speaker 3: Well, then you gave the gaff to Katie, you said, the whole and then she was holding that.
Speaker 1: I was trying to pry him free. Yeah, and then she couldn't hold it any longer. I grabbed it strong, Yeah, and I grabbed that, and the octopus is now going down down the skiff in a way, and I got where my arms are underwater and you can't get a grip, and eventually I just he overpowers me. Jeez.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the last we saw him was just all what I don't know what. I have no idea what the thing Wade it was was. He ain't, he ain't. At a point gone, I got to think I might catch him. Tonight we got we have.
Speaker 2: To take Halbert slime all around the entire boat to make a slick and carry hand grenage.
Speaker 1: I'm never play the pistol.
Speaker 3: I think the story ended the way it was supposed to. I know that kills you.
Speaker 7: But you know he's down there. That's the most exciting thing today.
Speaker 1: I dropped the and I go with duh pus in the pot.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, stop saying it. But seriously, I don't think. I think if we had gotten it in the boat, we.
Speaker 1: Actually would have had a tussle on our hand. Yeah, yeah, absolute. I showed you that picture that when we got a couple of years back. That was big.
Speaker 3: That was a fraction of the side.
Speaker 1: Here's what my shrimp and mentor taught me. This is gonna be upsetting to some people, so turn the show off if you're going to be upset by this. My shrimp and mentor, Ron Layton, taught me this. He can very quickly invert. He turns the mantle inside out and it works good. You can turn the mantle inside you. I've done it, the one I showed you in that picture. Andy is taller than me. What does that do to you turn the mantel inside out? It basically shuts it down and you just take a knife. And how does that cut its brain right off? Well, how does that dow does turn?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can just invert it, you turn it right inside out.
Speaker 3: But that wouldn't That would mean that you would have to it was really strong, and that would just assume that you would be able to get a grip on it to be able to do that, which I think might have been harder.
Speaker 1: I believe we would have had a fight on our hands, but I believe we would have gotten to take care of.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 7: Andy.
Speaker 3: When I came back and told you what happened, you told me a story that you had heard.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I've seen a couple of different I've been on a boat where we actually snagged one with a mooching rig and very similar.
Speaker 4: It came out. It was early days.
Speaker 5: Actually we were fishing in a canoe out on the west side. Well, you had actually fished in that canoe, yeah, And we had actually hooked a big one and it came up and launched itself to the side of the canoe and the same thing but it was still attached to the hooks. So we had pliers in that trying to grab the hook out of this thing because we're you know, didn't want to lose our rod.
Speaker 1: Set handle in the canoe.
Speaker 4: No, no, God no.
Speaker 5: And actually had a hold of with the pliers on the hook, and that same thing started moving along side of that boat, and it was so strong that it basically pulled itself right off. You know, it was close to losing the pliers, but the point where it just got almost out of reach, it ripped the webbing out of it, and it same thing that just disappeared, right. But I was also talking to an old time fisherman at one point where he similar story where they he got it on the board. I think he was some sort of if he was saying it or whatever. But that then came up and wrapped around a leg and an arm, so he's actually fighting this thing, and then another arm got a hold of one of the controllers, smoking the block of the the net, and so he almost lost his whole boat because all of a sudden, Yeah, he's pulling he's pulling hydraug arms that aren't supposed to be, you know, in gear. And luckily he had access to a knife where he got it off his belt and yeah, started hacking at this thing or else he could have could have been about all eight arms going at one time, and they're strong.
Speaker 1: They're powerful.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so you could get a little overpowered and in a situation. But yeah, I guess the knife would would handle that.
Speaker 3: Also, Like let's say that it had gotten up in the boat and it wrapped itself around you and it pulled you down into the Yeah, we don't know, Katie and I don't know how to drive a boat like.
Speaker 9: Everyone the rock she told me she did.
Speaker 3: So maybe we would have made helme, but then we would have lost dad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that should be the first year.
Speaker 1: Off had we were drifting out there for an hour.
Speaker 3: No, I mean everything about it. I still I don't know, man, it was.
Speaker 7: Where's a lot of what if you know?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think if it were to pulled down the water, I don't think it would take the time to wrap dead up in its arm and drag him all the way down.
Speaker 3: I think you had your leg over the edge. No part of you was worried about it wrapping itself around your leg because it you wouldn't have been able to let go, and it was strong enough to go down like it could have pulled you down.
Speaker 1: Man, if that had happened and you like down the road, you know, after a respectable period of time remarried. I don't mind you to go to bed every night thinking about me just vanishing through the depths. Might just smiled with my knife, with my gas fighting that oct Man, I'd be worth it just to have that haunt.
Speaker 6: Well, just waiting for you to pop up like a rock fishing and splatter out.
Speaker 1: Well, that's what I'm mainly worried about now is now there's octopus with a gas. We were joking about siving around down there. I'm gonna be out there and all of a sudden that gas spikes will come up to the botto of the boat.
Speaker 2: Middle.
Speaker 7: You know he still has the gap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it't They won't stay in him because it's like angle, there's no bar. But he's gonna have it with him now. Whatever he's doing, he's gonna bring that gaff with him.
Speaker 2: Me and my dad were joking about this morning. That thing's gonna gonna be pulled upon. It's gonna ride the pot up, get jumping swinging club my dad in the head, grab and jump overboard and.
Speaker 4: Sink that gaff.
Speaker 1: And in hindsight, I wish we would have not have tried to tangle with him, knowing that he got away.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, but if.
Speaker 2: You if you pull them up again, would you find them again?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Would you try to get your gap back?
Speaker 3: Is that gonna make you feel? Are you gonna have different things in the boat like you didn't have? You had a pocket knife yesterday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they gonna have a I'm gonna get a shoulder holster shot.
Speaker 4: I like the ide octopus spray.
Speaker 1: We get some kind of concoction like bear spray, but octopuses start putting pots out. Man. Now, two quick things. This year you were here for this. I found a dead octopus this spring. The commercial shrimpers were working our area and I found a dead octopus with a cut open mantle. And they just catch them and kill them. Why do they do that because they cause they get in there and steal all your shrimp competition. So it's common to kill them and not harvest them. And here's the funny story. I was gonna tell you that not funny, but this is a little thing about human nature. Uh. There's an essay about this. It was called like a Tale of Two Octopuses. And I can't remember where they appeared. I think it was maybe the New York Times and the New Yorker. Either way, this is in Puget Sound. One. There was a kid who took ah. There was a kid in high school and he was a diver, and he was in some food class, and so for his senior project or something, he was gonna be that he's gonna catch an octopus and cook it for his senior project. And they sign off on this, and he goes down to a beach and goes out with his dive gear and hauls up an octopus. And people in that community have a fit where he hauled the octopus up on the beach, to the point where they're trying to get the state Fish and Game Agency to ban the harvest of octopus at that location. They were so traumatized. And this is being covered in the Seattle newspaper, and the Seattle Times is being covered with a sympathetic ear to the community. At the same time, a new seafood restaurant opens up in Seattle and their specialty dish is octopus, which gets a rave review in the same newspaper. It's like, especially try the octopus. Yeah, in the newspaper at the same time that they're condemning the high school kid forgetting the octopus. It just shows like a little bit of the out of sight, out of mind, yeah, and that dish. And they confirmed that dish is specific octopus.
Speaker 7: So was there any exposure of the hypocrisy there?
Speaker 1: The article The Tale of Two Octopuses was an exposure of the hypocrisy. It was very similar to a thing that we covered we touched on Brooklyn earlier. The writer, the Southern writer Ericard Builder wrote in The New Yorker he was profiling young youth youth in Nevada training to be professional bull riders. Okay, so he's hanging out with ranch and rodeo families and these little kids who are being groomed to become bull riders and so half but he lives in Brooklyn. He lives near Prospect Park in Brooklyn. So in his article he's juxtaposing these communities where in this community in Nevada, they're training their children to be bull riders. And in his community where he lives, they have installed real rocks in the park, and the people in the community trying to get the rocks removed because someone could get hurt. And this person's like, I assumed they were fake rocks, And when I went up and saw they were real rocks, I was appalled. Do you realize how bad someone could get hurt on these rocks?
Speaker 3: Do you remember when we used to when we lived in Brooklyn, we went to that park all the time.
Speaker 1: It was like a community movement to get the rocks out of that park where someone banged their head on the Meanwhile he's like hanging out with like youth bull riders. So just funny. Yeah, our tendencies, Andy Yep lay out your meals from the cove.
Speaker 5: Well over the last fifteen years. See how this is a very remote facility. You kind of have to get creative as far as what you're bringing in and make sure that you have all your ingredients lined up before you get here if you actually want to do conpost meals.
Speaker 4: So I've kind of laid out.
Speaker 5: Some blueprints over the years of how things work up here. So I do a lot of repeats just to make my life easier as far as shopping lists go, and.
Speaker 1: Just ease of the dish.
Speaker 5: You know, we have a fairly decent setup here, but you know, pot space and and you know, burner space and and oven space is kind of a at a limited capacity.
Speaker 4: So if you get kind of.
Speaker 5: Creative, but obviously I've got the cream of the crop when it comes to seafood access. I kind of joke sometimes about at any given night, there could be two thousand dollars worth a fresh seafood on the table that's never even hit the fridge, you know, straight from the flay table, crab and shrimp and halve it and salmon, and if you put that to a market octopus, if you put that to a market value, sometimes it's a little overwhelming to think that we're really living in the spoils here, But yeah, I try to do the crowd pleasers. Fish tacos are always a hit, and that's usually a repeat from year to year because everybody kind of knows that. And as the years have gone on, the fine teal has kind of changed up here. You know, We've gone from all kind of thirty something adults to heavy, heavy booze and heavy hitting uh, hard charging folks to everybody's bringing kids up here nowadays. So it has been an interesting transformation of you know, make sure that everybody enjoys the food. But that's kind of what I do, is make sure that kids are happy when they're eating.
Speaker 1: So uh some of the ore day asked because we brought some fish to the neighbors and they said, how does he fry his fish?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well that one I kind of joked as start by calling catching really small halibut.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they were so tender. We wed got into a pile of fairly small helbot. And I really think that those filets, I mean, they were just so delicate coming off the off the fish and you can.
Speaker 1: See through them almost they're so small, but the flesh is clear.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, and they're actually the right uh thickness. That's a big key to frying fish is having the right cut of fish as far as how thick you cut.
Speaker 4: It, Because too thick, you're.
Speaker 5: Your outer crust is gonna burn a bit before that fish is fully cooked. And if you're cutting just if you're just like using little tail pieces, you don't have a dried up piece of fish before you even get get to where you're going, you know. So those were actually the perfect perfect thickness as far as frying goes. My little trick is about two hours before I'm about to fry them, I actually season them, and I actually throw just a spoonful of mao in with them and just a little bit just a kind of barely coat them.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 5: I usually like zest a little lemon zest and season them pretty good right right in with the raw fish and let those sit for about two hours. But then I don't I really do the batter. If I'm doing kind of a Baha Baja style taco, I'll do a real thin batter with them. But this I do actually the flour egg wash, and I make a crumb mixture panco flour. I throw a little corn starts in there to kind of give it that little crispiness. And then it's all about seasoning.
Speaker 4: All cooking.
Speaker 5: It comes down to being able to season stuff properly. That's why that kind of had that nice But I'm telling you that that was some of the most tender hell but I've ever cooked.
Speaker 7: It knocked our socks off over there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the.
Speaker 4: Place was top Yeah, I was, I was.
Speaker 5: I was secretly giving myself a little laugh about this one like that.
Speaker 1: Another favorite of mine that you do and you might be the only one that doesn't, is a green seafood enchilada.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that one just kind of came out of came out of a lot of leftovers. You know, I tend to cook a little too much from night to night, so there's always a little bit of leftover cooked fish hanging out, and you got to kind of get creative with how to use cooked fish and shellfish without overdoing it. And that's kind of the perfect application for that. So I just kind of mixed lunch cooked al butt, salmon, crab, shrimp, mix that all together with you know, sauteed onions and green chili's a slancho and lime and make a little green enchilada sauce and whipped it all together. Traditionally, seafood and cheese aren't kind of paired normally, but it works out pretty good. It's a very rich, rich disc dish because it's got you know, it's got the heavy, heavy base to it, and it's got cheese in it, a little bit of sour cream, but good. Yeah, we might revisit that one tonight. Made a little too much.
Speaker 1: Assemble it and form it up.
Speaker 5: Well, I make the mixture and then roll roll them into as you would at any angela. I roll them into tortillas and then kind of saw some cheese and pop in the oven.
Speaker 4: Just let them get nice and brown.
Speaker 1: They're good, man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was gonna say. Brodie's son Conley has been talking about those for a year.
Speaker 4: Since last year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and like the day we got here, he's like, what are you going to make?
Speaker 4: And I think I think they're even better after the fact.
Speaker 5: So yeah, we've got a couple of pans left over, and actually just carve out those little squares and then pop them back in the oven real hot, and they just get like nice crispy edges on it because they're set now, you know, like that filling has cooled down and kind of solidified and all yelled together. Cut little squares and christen back up. I think they're better on the second day then.
Speaker 1: Ever year you do a seafood chowder's way right Wait, yeah, the chowder and the curry. I interpted, you haven't hit curry yet?
Speaker 6: NOPEA yeah, we we had your hurry last year.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that was Yeah, amazing that we're still talking about that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this year, well, you guys might get lucky, and it's coming around week two. Oh, we did a chowder a couple of nights ago, and that's just kind of a classic chowder. But yeah, when you're working with all the all the goods around here, put crab and shrimp and I think I had salmon and cod and halbit all mixed in there.
Speaker 3: What did you put on those scallops last night.
Speaker 1: That we want to get the scalp I want to talk about. I want to talk about the cut, but you can talk about the sauce now, I'll talk about the cut.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that one, I man, I just whipped up kind of looked around what we had on hand, and there was some oranges for the kids, some of those little cuties or the the small little oranges, and I used some of that juice with a little some lime juice, a little bit of soy sauce, a little bit of sesame oil, some really fine mince, ginger and garlic in there.
Speaker 1: We're all getting scalps. He started grilling the kids about how many oranges they'd eaten.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well yeah, yeah, Mine mind was turning because you need some sort of cidic. So basically, yes, Steve was out and and Jim, we're out harvesting. Oh and Kelsey, all three of you guys were out harvesting. Uh, some beautiful rock scalps. And yeah, what are their silver dollar size? I mean they're about some of them. All the actual the actual meat.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, like a really skimpy sausage patty, a really skimpy breakfast sausage patty, a chicken nugget, A big one is about the size of a chicken nugget.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's good, good size, it's about right round. But cutting them, you know, super sharp knife. I went out actually the flight table, and I surveyed every knife in the house and found the sharpest one out there. And you go against the grain like you'd be cutting.
Speaker 4: Just coins off the top.
Speaker 5: Like so you can just picture putting that thing on a slice and just cutting paper thin shaves from the top to the bottom and being that thin and using the sauce that I did, and that has just that slight acidity to it with the with the juice of.
Speaker 11: The lime and the or the lime and the orange just gives it enough to to start to give a little cook or a little marinade to where it's kind of takes the edge off of that rawness.
Speaker 7: And so you're making like a.
Speaker 1: C type barely.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's not like where you'd go heavy lime juice, where you're actually cooking that fish and limes just enough to kind of and man, they pick up flavor really quick because I literally cut them, put them on that plate with it with the sauce, and instantly they picked up that flavor. I mean, the soy sauce and sesame oil is very strong, so it picks that up pretty quick, but just paper thin, and man, they're good.
Speaker 1: They're just We had a friend not We had a friend up here who was not aware of when you see a scallop what you're seeing.
Speaker 7: I was surprised.
Speaker 1: She had been always seen scallops and restaurants or whatever, but never realized what it was that you're looking at. We don't eat muscles and clams because of paralytic shellfish poisoning. There's no testing on our beaches for paralytic shellfish poisoning, so it's a little bit of a gamble. But I'm not making advice to listeners, but I'm just saying how we've come to a decision that we have is that an acquaintance of mine who's a doctor, he's done a lot of research on this, and just no case or the adductor muscle, which is all I'm gonna get to. What you're eating on a scallop when you get scallops is the adductor muscle. Everything in the scallop is edible, but we eat the adductor muscle because there's no known cases where add doctor muscles from scallops have ever transmitted ps and people know the term bivalve. It's like it's got two shells like a clam Like a clamshell, it's the muscle is just attached to each shell. It's just what holds the shells together. It's got a hinge apparatus, this weird, crazy purple thing that functions as a hinge, and then that muscle is stuck to the center of each shell. So when you clean it, you're just getting in there and scraping the muscle free from each side. And it's just that little deal. And you're talking about laying that little muscle down like how it would be it feels in its shell, you're laying it down and just cutting, like, like I said, cutting coins from top to bottom. And that made a big difference because the thing that used to before you started getting into that, it's just meaier than a bay scallop.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, it's grainier.
Speaker 1: And then I would cut them the other way, so I'd lay it down and cut slices off it with the grain, and that was good, but not nearly as good as that cross grain.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I'd be like cutting a piece of meat kind of the wrong way with the grain and you get that long chew to it.
Speaker 4: Kind of the same same concept.
Speaker 1: Oh, they're good.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Jimmy, what's your favorite thing that you've eaten this week so far?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's amazing.
Speaker 7: Yeah that What was that sauce that you made with that? That white sauce.
Speaker 5: For the Oh, it's just kind of a tartar check charter sauce.
Speaker 1: Whatever people were talking about it went missing, It went over to the neighbors. Oh, because I heard people talking about what happened to it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we ate it on everything.
Speaker 6: Yeah, No, that was just a it's just a kind of run sud on breakfast Britos we're.
Speaker 1: Putting on.
Speaker 7: You know, we're not shack we'll take whatever we can get.
Speaker 1: So James, to close things out, what is your favorite actvity that that that you engage in in these parts? What do you like the most? I have two main Like I said, nope, two fingers.
Speaker 3: What do you feel like doing to dad right now? One?
Speaker 1: Okay, go on, see how much better you sound now.
Speaker 2: Two things. I can't really decide between either diving for scallops and just looking at a little shrimp and rock crabs, and how everything kind of lives underwater where you when you're fishing out here, you really don't know what's beneath you, r what's happening. That's kind of the mystery of and that's what makes it fun that diving here in Alaska. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I can't speak, so that's one of the things.
Speaker 2: And then fishing link cod.
Speaker 1: Fishing, Yeah, and pull them up gigantic calib it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, jim caught a real nice Yeah, got a big one.
Speaker 1: Jimmy got a giant.
Speaker 7: It was.
Speaker 3: It was cute the other night when it was the first or second night we were here, and Matt whispered to me, He's like, I want to go around the table and everyone has to say what they like the most about Alaska and what it wasn't fishing specific or activity specific. But you had a really nice answer, Jimmy, do you remember what you said?
Speaker 2: Like the family that you build up here is kind of like there's like you get to know everybody so much better and get to like be close to people and kind of get to like share an experience you don't really get to share with people like more up here, and you get to like really learn about everybody. I just think it's cool that you get to spend that time with people and not have to worry about anything.
Speaker 1: Definitely, what I shared around the table is that in John mcfee's listen hear me out. In John mcfee's Pulitzer Prize winning Annals of the Former World, his Pulit Surprize winning work on American geology, there's a couple of nuggets in there. I'm gonna get to the main nugget, but I want to share a couple nuggets in there. At one point in that book, he says, if I was going to sum this book up in one sentence, it would be that the top of Mount Everest is marine limestone. He also points out that if you imagine the world's history as being a timeline stretching from the tip of your finger to the other tip of your finger. With your arms spread out, you would remove human history with one stroke of a nail fire. And he also says that he explains how in eighty million years, Japan will have accreted all of the Aleutian Islands into one big land mass, and that land mass will dock up against Alaska. And what's cool about that is it Alaska formed the same way it was accreated archipelagos that formed in a big glob of like just islands accumulating together, and it docked up against California, and that's what caused the gold that became the California gold rush in the Sierra because that stuff, like all that stuff that went under the plate, you know, bubbled up like that out there. But then this big blobbed it's Alaska, shot up against the California and then road and is riding a transform fault and so far it's ridden north to where it is now. I think about that. It's pretty wild.
Speaker 4: That's what you're most thankful about. The cabinet.
Speaker 1: That was, that was that was before that octopus. Now the thing I'm most thankful of is that I might catch him to night round two. Yeah, alright, guys, we're gonna wrap it up. Yeah, high tide right now.
Speaker 8: Actually I think it's on the fall.
Speaker 1: Thanks for joining, Jimmy. Yep, you got in a lot of trouble this week, but you did a great job.
Speaker 2: What I controle for you know, losing flyers, Jimmy, here's a lot of spinners.
Speaker 3: He's in a weird he's in a weird stage between being a kid and being an adult. He's thirteen, and you're expected to now go. You know, your little brother and sister get to run around and just be little maniacs all day, and you're expected to help in a different way. And I'm sure that's a hard transition, but a necessary one.
Speaker 1: And if your little brother lost my spinner, I wouldn't even have a question for him.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I know a lot of becoming a man of the sea.
Speaker 2: It doesn't.
Speaker 4: But you're learning.
Speaker 1: You learn a lot of stuff.
Speaker 6: Though pred you'll be taking the skiff out by yourself or with buddies, and.
Speaker 3: That is so scary but killed me and everyone on the boat.
Speaker 2: No, you did.
Speaker 3: You did a good job. Yesterday when Dad jumped over to Brody's boat. Oh that was you talk about that.
Speaker 1: But that's too embarrassing, he thought.
Speaker 3: For Brody, you also were like, it's a fish, it's a fish.
Speaker 7: It was.
Speaker 1: Oh, I heard and was telling us about that. You have to bring this up. It takes so long to explain what happened. Okay, we had two skiffs monkey together. I very strong current, so strong that the buoy is like throwing ripples, like a rock in the middle of a river. Right, a big incoming tide. Anchored a boat monkey to another boat off that by tying it off behind that. Okay, then on the same ridge line anchored another boat, three boats, two anchors. Brody's fishing out of the boat that's tied off on my boat, which is anchored in place. He's jigging, and your jig is way out yonder because it's two hundred and eighty feet of water, So by the time you know you're jigging at an angle, he feels as though he snagged something. But here's the deal. Andy's boat in the current is putting so much pressure on his anchor that when Brody's lifting up with his rod, and it's like eighty pound braid. He's lifting up with his rod and it's lifting the anchor out of its bed. He's anchored on my anchor, so he's not moving. But when he lifts up because he's taking he's hooked an admiralty anchor and is pulling it out the other direction, which is causing that skiff to just a little bit move down. And when it's going, and I'm like, you've got to be snagged on something. And I eventually climbed into his boat and grab that rod and I'm like, I don't know what's down there, but it's alive because you be home dead still like you're not moving, that thing's going and with the same like a shake, then I'm like, you gotta be on a fish. It's under something like he wrapped on something like he's wrapped on a rock. I don't know what, and that's what it feels like. But eventually it's like not his way off in some other direction, and I said, let's pull that anchor and find out what's going on. It was on the anchor.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, you're in charge of it, and Jimmy was doing an excellent job driving the boat.
Speaker 1: You wanted to get into the mix.
Speaker 3: Well you didn't. You the boats were getting too close and you reversed it and you did a good job. You did a great job.
Speaker 1: Yeah you wanted to get in on the fight.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's good.
Speaker 1: You can't watch that kind of stuff go down way over far away. Well I said, I said, what I said? What he did?
Speaker 3: He had a sting ray theory.
Speaker 1: I had a sting ray theory. Well, now and then we'll hook something and you can't get it up, and eventually get it up and it sees huge rays. I've seen that right here on this chart.
Speaker 7: I saw that one.
Speaker 1: Number.
Speaker 3: I'm just looking at that hook next to your face. That doesn't feel like that's circle hook.
Speaker 1: That can't get you all rightybody, thanks for joining, See you next time later.
Speaker 6: Oh, ride a.
Speaker 2: Ride on on the seal gray, shine like silver in the sun.
Speaker 10: Ride, ride de on along, sweetheart. Were done beat this damp horse to death, taking a new one. Ride. We're done beat this damn horse today, So take your new one and ride on.