Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: I'm delighted to be joined by the one and only Larry Fink of Blackrock. Larry, thank you so much for joining us. First of all, happy anniversary. There was that prospective. So first of October nineteen ninety nine, we're Blackrock Republic.
Speaker 1: So you're twenty five years young.
Speaker 3: That's great reading, wasn't it. Yeah, it's a really good day for us. It's our twenty fifth anniversary. It's our day that we are closing GIP and right around this time we're going to have our thirtieth anniversary here in Germany, so it's a good day. I'm very pleased that our stock performance is up close to eleven of thousand percent over over that time, actually twenty times greater than the S and P.
Speaker 1: So the market has changed so much in that time, and it's amazing.
Speaker 2: In twenty five years, you know, there's a lot more private there's a lot more credits, you're gone into infrastructure. I'm not going to ask you twenty five years to come, we'll bring But what are you most optimistic about in the next three years.
Speaker 3: Well, I think one of the reasons why our stock has done so well is I think we understood that more and more of the global economy will be moving to the capital markets. And I think all those things you suggested is just an indication of all the movements towards the capital markets. And I think this is going to be broadly a world event. We're seeing more and more countries focusing on their capital markets. A great economy is an economy that has a strong capital markets and a strong banking system. We've seen here in Europe historically a strong banking system and a weak capital markets. That's changing right now here in Europe, but in other countries like Japan, you had the Kashia government doubling down their retirement tax deductibility for a product that they have a desire to building out their capital markets. In India, Prime Minister Modi is focusing on retirement to building out their capital markets to broaden their entire economy. And I think that's the movement for the next twenty five years in front of us, a further broadening of the global capital markets, whether that is private debt, infrastructure debt, private equity, venture capital.
Speaker 4: And I think this is important.
Speaker 3: And if I look back over the twenty five years, one of the strengths that I see is because of the strengths of the US capital markets. The US influence in the world has become broader and greater than it was twenty five years ago. And that is because of the depth of the capital markets.
Speaker 2: In all of this, there where do you find the best deal? So, for example, infrastructure, if you look at the closure of GIP It's today.
Speaker 1: This is a massive play. What does it mean for integration?
Speaker 2: What does it mean for actually have fundraising for infrastructure?
Speaker 3: Well, GIPS in the midst of closing a twenty five billion dollar infrastructure product, the old Blackrock, our infra team is going to be raising another ten billion dollars, and then we announce a partnership with Microsoft, Navidia and MGX. We have aspirations of raising thirty billion dollars of equity and then beyond that more debt associated when we build out these AI data. So to me, this is the dawning of infrastructure. When I look around the world today, I see the inadequacies of infrastructure in almost every country. So we need to be decarbonizing, we need to be digitizing, we need to be moving forward. We need to be building out more and more. And I think this is one of the big issues. As I wrote in an editorial a few months back, to the FT and I spoke of the G seven. I spoke about every economy needs to focus on growth. There's too much focus on should we lower taxes, should we raise taxes?
Speaker 4: Not enough how do we stimulate growth?
Speaker 3: And I think infrastructure is a major component of how we stimulate growth, and we don't because of the breath of the capital market. We don't have to rely on federal spending or state spending. There is enough capital in the private sector that we'll be able to fund these new projects. And so to me, this is the dawning of the new reality that we're going to see broadening of public and private investing for infrastructure.
Speaker 2: Is there a worry that it becomes quite political? So there are a couple of projects Malaysia and Minnesota that have been politicized.
Speaker 1: Is there a danger that infrastructure becomes a new ESG.
Speaker 3: I see a very different outcome of that. This is helping government build out their infrastructure. There is no question there may be one project or another project that may be politicized for one reason or another, but overall, in my conversations with politicians worldwide. They know they're in need of more private capital. So I dearly hope it's not politicized. If it's politicized in one location, it means money's going to seek another safer spot, and so you always have those type of risks. But capital is free moving and capital is going to be seeking a safe, sound investment. We are the largest retirement manager in the world. Our job is to try to be finding investments on behalf of our retirees, to find safe outcomes over a long period of time.
Speaker 4: So if there is an event that.
Speaker 3: Politicizes that money will leave and money will seek another destination.
Speaker 2: Where does the smart money stay away from? Is writ anywhere in the markets where either something price perfection or it's too risky.
Speaker 1: I know we talk about commercial real estate.
Speaker 4: Markets move up and down. You always see you mentioned like commercial real estate.
Speaker 3: You see too much money moving in one to one area, then then it runs away from it.
Speaker 4: I think that's that's what markets do.
Speaker 3: We test the outer boundaries of pricing and it becomes maybe a level in which that we don't find it's a great outcome for a long term investing it, and then money moves to another destination. I think that's a natural movement, so I'm not worried about one area versus another area. Then one other thing that I think everybody asked me, is you know, is a market so pricey and yet all this geopolitical issues. I would argue today, because of the expansion of the global capital markets, we're diffusing more risk than everything. There is actually less systemic risks today than ever before.
Speaker 4: You mentioned private credit.
Speaker 3: Private credit is chiefly matching a liability and an ass together. It's not leveraging eight to one like in a banking system. That's a good example of diffusing some systemic risk. But as more and more capitals broadening out how they invest where they invest, that actually reduces less concentration in one area. Of course, we've seen, especially in cities, a decline in commercial real estate, but that's a natural process, but there's nothing systemic about it. You may lose money on one building, but you're moving into other destinations like data centers. You're moving into different cities that may have rising population growth. But you know, you can't fight demographics. So there's some cities that are shrinking. Obviously, commercial real estate in those cities are going to be declining with that declining population, lar.
Speaker 2: What's your play in private credit? How much bigger do you want to? How much do you want to?
Speaker 3: We have large aspirations, as we wrote about it last year, and we continue to be building out a private credit area and there's more to come. We're very excited about our position. If you just think about the role of infrastructure debt. If you think about what we announced with MGX and Microsoft raising thirty billion dollars equity, but we're going to have to We're going to raise one hundred to one hundred and twenty billion dollars of debt associated with those data centers. So I actually believe as we move out in building out more and more infrastructure investing, you're going to see more infrastructure or private credit associated with that. And so that will also represent a great, great opportunity that you have a hyperscaler like a Meta, like a Microsoft, like an Amazon, that you have their credit that you're going to be able to leverage it up and provide returns, stable returns over fifteen twenty years, because that's what those leases will be these data centers, and so you have a great opportunity for long term.
Speaker 2: Investing US economy, and we talked about US exceptionalism. Do you worry that Actually there are two very different outcomes with the US election that could bring the economy in different ways.
Speaker 3: Both candidates have in many cases very similar views on making the US even stronger. Both candidates and their interpretation how that they happen, it may differ. Our job is to work with any political position. Our job is to be working with the US government, like we're here in Germany. We're working with the German government. There's going to be election here next year too. Our job is to be working with societies and building a platform together. And so we're not trying to make any judgments.
Speaker 2: But you deploy capital differently under President Trumps and under President Harris.
Speaker 3: On a margin that much, No, I think we over conflate what it means. I mean, I don't think the US is going to be pivoting that much depending on one outcome. You know, we're not focusing on the day to day movements of markets from focus on is a US and exceptional place to invest for five years, ten years, twenty years.
Speaker 4: That's what we're focusing on.
Speaker 3: Yes, there may be moments where you could have a ten percent or even a fifteen or twenty percent downdraft, Does that represent a major shift or does that represent an opportunity?
Speaker 4: And so you have to look at it that way.
Speaker 3: In most cases, over the last thirty years, anytime you had a ten or twenty percent downdraft, you wanted to be there standing by and buying, and those who ran away over a twenty year horizon have lost a lot of possible return.
Speaker 1: Are you optimistic about Europe?
Speaker 2: So you're one of the biggest shareholders and unit credit, you're one of the biggest shareholders in the commerce bank. Yes, does a combination needs you know? Does it make a bit of impetus for Europe? Does it make sense?
Speaker 3: I am a very large believer on a banking and a capital markets union. I think that's the strength of the United States. Europe needs to do that. I've read a Droggy report because we are large sareholders and both. I don't talk about any any activity about one organization versus another, but technically I look at the strength of the United States and much of the strength is because of the strength of our capital markets and our banking system. Europe needs a stronger capital market system, and it needs a more unified banking system, and I think that's going to be urgently necessary for Europe to go to the next step.
Speaker 1: So as a shareholder, you don't get involved. Have you spoken to the chief executives?
Speaker 3: I talk about it. And two, I don't do any of the voting at Blackrock myself. That's not my responsibility. Let me just say I speak to a lot of executives on this. I speaks a lot of politicians on these matters, and that's between me and the politicians.
Speaker 1: What's your take on China right now?
Speaker 3: I would have said before these Chinese actions of last week, in terms of the massive fiscal and monetary policy shifts, China was going from bad to worse. I think they recognize now that their economy was, you know, descending quite rapidly. There was a lack of confidence and I think we're gonna have to wait and see is this enough to stabilize the I would say the failings of confidence. And as I spoke to more and more executives in China, there was a fear that, you know, we haven't found the bottom yet.
Speaker 4: Could this be the bottom for China?
Speaker 3: You know, I think systematically, you're going to see more and more companies diversifying their supply chains, and you're seeing that. You're seeing India is a great destination. You're seeing Philippines and Vietnam as great destinations. Closer to the United States, Mexico has been an incredible destination for more and more.
Speaker 4: Manufacturing, and so that's not going to change.
Speaker 3: We are going to see a systematic change in how we manage supply chains. I think COVID taught us a lot of lessons on two larger dependencies. With all the disruptions and supply chains that everybody's waking up to, we need to.
Speaker 4: Have more resilient supply chain.
Speaker 3: Just before COVID, we talked about we need we need, you know, the most efficient supply chain. When you have those issues, efficiencies didn't work and we had real big disruptions. And every company's focusing on a more a broadening, a more diversified supply chain so you don't have these tuff of disruption and that's the fit that's going to.
Speaker 4: Be a down draft for China. So that's not that will be continuing.
Speaker 2: You seem very bullish about I guess the next two to three years.
Speaker 1: But there's a lot of.
Speaker 2: You know, there's China, there's a lot of unsettled politics. There's AI, which I know you're playing through Microsoft and data centers. Is there anything that unsettles you that the world is moving through.
Speaker 4: Look, I think every moment it's unsettling.
Speaker 3: The war in Ukraine, which we haven't talked about, is incredibly unsettling and very destabilizing for Europe. The war in the Middle East right now with Lebanon and Gaza is very unsettling. At the same time, as I said, we are broadening the capital markets. Even with these type of disruptions. We're not seeing disruption in the energy market, and we're not We're seeing more diversification, and so the markets are able to overcome some of these. Now, if they create more supply chain disruptions, they create supply chain disruptions for energy that changes the whole ecosystem.
Speaker 4: But right now, I don't see.
Speaker 3: Anything that really, to me, is going to be disrupting this tremendous momentum. The amount of trillions of dollars that are going to be necessary for infrastructure investing is going to be vital to uplift the economies worldwide. And this is why I'm still urging more and more economies to focus on growth, focus on how to build out their infrastructure that will lift up the economy and create great jobs.
Speaker 2: When you look at the US E commy, you're not you're expecting a soft landing or is there danger actually that we get?
Speaker 4: I don't see any landing.
Speaker 3: The economy is going to continue to grow at two plus three percent.
Speaker 4: I don't even know why we use a landing.
Speaker 3: Landing last time means it goes to zero, it goes you know, I don't, I know we use those words. It's really fun to talk about. I've been very consistent. We are not We're not going to have a hard landing. But I don't want to see a soft land We're going to continue we continuing to move and navigate it.
Speaker 4: That is.
Speaker 3: But despite all that, there are segments of the economy that are struggling. There are segments of the economy that are doing really well. We are you know, we spend so much time focusing on the segments that are doing poorly. And I'm not trying to suggest that's not the right thing to do, but we're not looking at in the holistic way that other parts of the economy are doing really really well. Look at corporate earnings overall, they've been very strong, and I think they're going to continue to be very strong. We have, you know, we we do have segments of the economy that are very strong. And I think that's why. I don't know why we talk about a harder soft line and we're continuing. We're going to grow it two to three percent.
Speaker 1: It's the FED watchers.
Speaker 2: Blame the FED watchers because they're all who are they?
Speaker 3: I don't follow them, By the way, let me just tell you why to the right.
Speaker 4: Let me just tell you. I think the forward curve is wrong.
Speaker 3: We're not going to see and I think the Chairman Palace said that yesterday. You know, we're going to be patient as we I think the amount of easing that's in the forward curve is crazy. I mean, I do believe there's there's there's room for easing more, but not as much as a forward curve would indicate.
Speaker 1: And this is what a flaw in the markets. A flawns markets.
Speaker 3: Markets move, they have to readjust and I think yesterday was a small readjustment. I mean, I don't look at this as a problem. You're talking about the TikTok on the market. I don't spend any time on the TikTok on the market. I'm aware of it, but I'm not you know, whether it's you know, the consideras are tightened, I mean, ease is another one hundred, one hundred and fifty.
Speaker 4: We'll see, we'll see. I mean, you know, I think we are.
Speaker 3: I see more policies by more government that tend to be more inflation ay than deflationary. And so with that in mind, it's hard for me to see another two hundred base of points of decline insure rates.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna use that.
Speaker 2: You know, the TikTok of the market is fine, but secondary Larry, as always, thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 1: Larry Fink, Black Rock Chairman,