Speaker 1: They Around the NFL podcast spent too much time in the sun. Welcome to another edition of Around the NFL. I am Dan Hans's I have a reddish hue to my pale skin tone, joined as always by a man who always looks a little pale on camera, Greg Rosenthal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've changed the locations. If you watch us on YouTube, you can see my new garage setup. But I still haven't found the correct lighting to give me the color that I truly have.
Speaker 3: You do get quite dark in the summer there, Danny.
Speaker 1: I do. I do. Let's see if we can do better. Though. Let's welcome in another man who has to be very careful in the sun, and if you have to be careful in the weight room when he's around you. Yes, one of our favorites. It's a great Nick Shook, what's up, Bud?
Speaker 4: I am wearing a hat because I was not careful in the sun in la last minute.
Speaker 1: There he is, Shookie Shooky, of course, is invaluable on our Sunday flagship programs helping out watching games, talking about him and that will be coming back, and my goodness, less than two months, and Shook, it's great to have you here. I have to say you come on a great day for the NFL, on a great day for Commanders fans, because yes, it's happening. It's over today. According to PFT and other outlets, the owners will vote to approve the sale of the Washington Commanders from Daniel Snyder to Josh Harris. It's happening. There's a vote going down in Indianapolis. So it is a bright horizon for the Commanders and the NFC East Heads up, guys, it's about to change, because well could change, could it be worse? Shook? The Commanders are about to be free of Snyder.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, stop new stadium. Everything's looking up for them. Maybe we'll see, but I mean to eliminate what was essentially an albatross from them in the form of ownership. It's great, it's fantastic. You don't have to worry about it anymore. Now you can move forward, start the new era.
Speaker 2: I mean, they could go six and eleven, and I feel like this is gonna be the greatest year for the Washington franchise since the nineties. Like, no matter what happens, and they might be kind of frisky, maybe maybe we'll even get to that. But they might be, they might be frisky, and as recently as a week ago, there was some thought this could get gummied up and messed up at the last second. So hopefully we're taping this before that official meeting. Hopefully they don't bang us here. But we've celebrated this a few times now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this time I think it's gonna happen. And it comes a week after I don't know if you guys talked about it last week, but the ESPN deep dive on how Snyder nearly survived but made a few crucial missteps in the last couple of years that opened the door for the owners to finally make the move. So Josh Harris is about to take over the Commander's kind of the Big News today and with Nick Shook here, you know, I mentioned Gregy or I pulled out some of my father's old LP albums on the Monday program, and I thought with Nick here because Nick Gregy has, as we say, play such a vital role on our Sunday night shows. But I think it's important that the audience gets to know Nick more. Do you agree with that.
Speaker 2: Greg, Yeah, it's a weird thing where he's like a relief pitcher that we only bring in during the World Series, like in our biggest, highest octane moments, but for some reason he doesn't get enough regular season.
Speaker 1: It ands I with you, Manuel class a type that's a shock to us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, except I have a slider and not just a cutter and a fastball, and I mean I have some more breaking stuff, not just one hundred and three miles an hour.
Speaker 1: So instead shook of me sharing some of my dad's old records, please share with the audience and us your top three Desert Island albums. If you had to take three albums records with you for the rest of time, what would they be?
Speaker 4: Well ahead of the time, as anybody has it has experienced when they've considered this scenario, you need something that has longevity, something that you can listen to no matter the mood, something that could potentially set the mood get you through one more day out there on the Desert Island. Right, So we're going to go first off the top of the list, a semi recent album. This is Tyler the Creators I think it was twenty seventeen album flower Boy, which is wow masterpiece front to back. You can debate me on it all day. It should have won an award. It was nominated, it didn't win the Grammy it deserved because Kendrick Lamar happened to release an album that year and it went to him. That's his best album top front to back. It's fantastic here is that at any time. Number two on this list, we're gonna come out of the same collective of sorts, the La Kids ego Death by the Internet, a group that has since gone on to do their own step deeps. This is also another great album front to back. All these people in this group individually talented. This is the same collective that Frank Osin came from too, not the Internet specifically, but Odd Future, you know, as a whole. So that's a great album as well. I highly suggested. And number three Good Kid, Mad City by Kendrick Lamar his best album, an album I saw perform live in college because he wasn't big enough to get outside of Kent State back in the day. A fantastic album as well. Tons of bangers on there love.
Speaker 1: It, beautiful choices there, Shook and perhaps an all time backfire for you. Greg. Famously Greg likes rap and you've had that corner I mean, you've been on that corner for this program, and now here comes Shook, not just with like basic stuff, but kind of going deep and showing his knowledge of rapp and hip hop culture. You're a little upset, I know, impressed probably, but also maybe deep down it's bothering you a little bit that Shook just dropped the hammer on your ace.
Speaker 2: I mean, I feel like it's bothering you. You're the one that put me on the Greggs rap corner. You're right, Uh, Shook Legs rap bother me. There's no way I'm going all three rap albums on my desert list. So so I think Shook officially likes rap more because he's talking about setting the mood, I mean, setting the mood for what a little like self love if anything. Then you want a little variety, You want a little variety. But but uh, Ego death by who is that again? Because I'm gonna I'm gonna listen to that album and I'm hoping, even though it hurts that you're taking that corner that you add to my my musical enjoyment this week by listening to some internet the.
Speaker 4: Internet, you'll find, uh, You'll find that it's not. It's more like it's it's almost neo soul, not quite there. It's a it's a blend between that and hip hop.
Speaker 1: So there's perhaps we learned today that Greg likes rap. Well, we knew that, but Shook loves rap.
Speaker 3: I do like Tyler though I'm a big I like that album. That's great.
Speaker 1: Let's do some news. Raven's trying to end it here. She'll tell you step so Colton.
Speaker 4: Pros it's complete cultortd Tyler Toyd.
Speaker 1: Tons down remarkable. The Cincinnati Bengals have stunned this crowd. Any Dolty delivers he has. We learned on Monday that there's at least one player in the NFL that've used Andy Dalton as a future Hall of Famer. That's my favorite Dalton Bengals memory. Twenty seventeen, knocking the Ravens out of the playoffs in Baltimore, putting the Bills in for the first time in a couple decades with that miracle strike at M and T Bank Stadium. Shook he might not be making the Hall, but he'll always have that moment, driving a stake through the heart of the Baltimore Ravens as a Browns fan, I'm sure you enjoyed watching that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because the Bills ended up getting back to the playoffs before the Browns did at that time. The Browns most recent time was two thousand and two. So understanding the drought and what you go through in the in the pure joy when you finally get through, when somebody else helps you. It was a great moment. And yeah, if it happens to a division rival, as it did, yeah, it just cherry on the top.
Speaker 2: One little note here is just like if someone were rude enough to try to make the case against Andy Dalton as a Hall of Famer, you know, if he does come up, I do think you could point out he's zero to four in his four playoff games. The highest his team scored in any of those games was thirteen points. He's had one touchdown and six interceptions and took twelve sacks.
Speaker 3: I don't know why Andy thought they need to do that.
Speaker 2: I just I just drew it up and I was like, well, we can't get a better moment than Andy Dalton.
Speaker 3: But no, actually that was the best moment.
Speaker 1: That was just totally unnecessary.
Speaker 4: Greg, what is this the Basketball.
Speaker 3: Hall of Fame? It was worse that I thought though.
Speaker 2: I was just like, I've just thought i'd bring up the old postseason game lag.
Speaker 3: I was like, was it really that bad? And it's like, yeah, was that bad?
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness. You know. I went to just pull up some news on Zach Martin, the star guard of the Cowboys, who may be holding out instead, I accidentally pulled up a NFL dot com article about Zach Martin joining the ninety nine club for Madden What. I understand that things are slow right now and they're just starting to pick up. The Jets reported for camp yesterday speaking of the Browns shook Mia with the opportunity to report, choosing to instead rest on their laurels on last season's success. Apparently. I don't know where you come down on that, but yeah, can we calm down with the Madden rankings and using that as news fodder and listen, we do a podcast throughout the off season. I understand it's hard to come up with content, but Madden Video game developers choosing the number and then us doing tons of articles and conversations on it on sports shows. Do we need it? I don't think we need it.
Speaker 4: I feel like this is planned because I'm here because this is my corner and I'm leading this coverage and working with EA on this. Like this is just I mean, not you.
Speaker 1: Know, unintentional shook, but maybe important that we're having this conversation.
Speaker 4: I went out there and played the new game last month in their studios. I know, yeah, I'll tell you, Dan, it's awkward. We're supporting them, you know, let's get through this awkward moment together. We're supporting the league's official product, the official licensed video game of the NFL, MAD NFL twenty four, available in August.
Speaker 3: WHOA, that was weird.
Speaker 2: He's officially the first guard ever to be ninety nine. Well, this is this is back to our metric days. It's the same reason why Terrell Pryor got a lot of articles. Those Madden articles do great.
Speaker 1: They do great. The Peyton Hill is the number of articles written about Peyton Hill is being the Madden cover boy in twenty twelve. I have carpal tunnel syndrome from it. Still anyway. Six time All Pro, eight time Pro Bowl guard Zach Morton reportedly unhappy with this current compin and will consider skipping training camp. According to ESPN's Adam schefter, a source also told Schefter that Martin believes quote he is woefully underpaid relative to the market. Shook, you do great work in addition to your tireless efforts promoting the Madden brand, and it's a yearly product. You know the meat and potatoes of the game, the trenches better than anyone. Is certainly better than us. Tell us about what makes Zach Martin special and whether you think he deserves more money for what he does.
Speaker 4: Consistency more than anything. Guys is frequently available, and this is an offensive line that's undergone a ton of changes. Not only that, but he's playing at a high level when he's available throughout his career. Number of all pros as he just listed Pro Bowl appearances. Guy gets the ninety nine rating for a reason in Madden because he is one of the best and has been one of the best for quite some time now. And I think you should pay somebody like that, especially when you lose your left tackle every other year, you lose your right tackle every other year. You have to shift the offensive line, and one guy you don't have to really worry about moving around for Zach Martin's gonna always be a good guard.
Speaker 2: I'd like a little extra like drama heading into Oxnard. You know, they always have the It's like other Cowboys are getting off there playing in ox Snard. It's a big day here in southern California. And now, like there aren't many holdouts anymore in the NFL. But if you're gonna hold out, if you can do it when you're like a future Hall of Fame guy who's already made twenty million dollars, and you know that the Joneses would never hold it against you. They're never gonna actually find him because and he knows that, and so he's gonna skip it if you can.
Speaker 1: And that offensive line shook has regressed in recent years. It was one of the best in the league. So Mart seen more in part important because he is the anchor there. He doesn't miss much time at all. He's only missed eight games in his career. So you know, at a time we'll get to a little bit later, you know, the running backs and that ongoing storyline this summer, use your leverage when you can. And the Cowboys they'd like you know, unlike some teams, they sometimes go out of their way to take care of their stars, even if it hurts him. In the long term. So I think Martin's probably making the right move, making noise while he can.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean he's nearing thirty three, turns thirty three in November, so like there's the time to cash in is now. This is the moment to get your last big contract and you know, maximize your value and play good football until the wheels fall off, because offensive line is one of the toughest positions, and it's there's a reason that we pay attention to Jason Kelsey, whether it's coming back every year. Yeah, he still plays an elite level, but he's old. It's hard to stay in the league that long at that position.
Speaker 1: In other news, Greg, do you remember Draft Night? I want to say the pandemic year.
Speaker 3: I know, where are you going with this? And yes I do.
Speaker 1: Yes. My father in law a great man, raised an incredible woman, my wife Emily Bob Bates dds he retired. He came on our program on Draft Night at the end of the conclusion of the twenty twenty draft and the Jets is selected why receiver Denzel Mims out of Baylor, and my father in law was raving about Denzel Mims and his abilities and his production while with the Bears down there in Waco and said he'd be a star. And I have to connect with g Bob for official comment on this. It never worked out for the Jets. He's totaled only forty two catches for six hundred and seventy six yards without a touchdown in three years, and yet because of his pedigree second round pick, he stuck around well no longer. The Jets moved him in a trade to the Detroit Lions. The Lions sent a conditional sixth rounder for the Jets seventh rounder in twenty twenty five, per rap sheet, And we learned today that the Jets or the Lions only have to pay up their draft pick that conditional pick if Mims makes the team, which is no guarantee. So Denzel Mims joins the Lions, but we'll see if he makes the team and the Jets wide receiver room continues to evolve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Lesser remembered for good reason on that night, was was me supporting your boy, Bob Bates.
Speaker 3: I can call him your boy. Can you call your father in law your boy?
Speaker 1: I would not, It seems a little overly chummy. Uh, he's more a figure of respect.
Speaker 2: Right if I if I called Watson Abvis on that, actually I may no longer be in the family.
Speaker 1: You bring great disgrace to the family.
Speaker 2: I supported him on this. Denzel Mims take. I like Denzel Mims coming out of college. I should have known Baylor wide receivers coming out of college. For whatever reason, Uh, it just hasn't worked. I hope Taekwon Thornton breaks that streak for the Patriots, but so far, not so good. Corey Coleman was kind of a bus There was one more too. I guess Josh Gordon should have been good.
Speaker 1: Uh player.
Speaker 2: I hate my least favorite thing about stories like this is everyone being like, hey, you gotta hand it to Joe Douglas. You gotta hand it to Yeah, he always gets some value always.
Speaker 1: That's really a thing that seems a little strong man.
Speaker 2: Yeah out there he got the A six to seventh round pick is nothing.
Speaker 3: It doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's fine, it's better than not getting anything, but it's as little as you can get. Once you get in the middle of those draft, they're trading those like seventh round picks around like Pez Dispenser's.
Speaker 3: It doesn't matter.
Speaker 4: Isn't it fun that a Jets team that was lacking for receivers just a few years ago is now just jetsoning receivers in the offseason left and right because they they've upgraded. They're better now. They don't need those guys that didn't produce immediately.
Speaker 2: Well, Cory Davis actually sticks. That's my one thing I want to say, and this makes.
Speaker 1: Sense, I'd say that I have, you know, concerns that Elijah Moore reaches his potential in Cleveland. It's certainly possible. He's very talented, so I would say I'm a little worried about that. I'm not so worried about mims teaming of a Jared Goff to Wreek havoc in Motown. But we shall see the Steelers doing some business. Alex high Smith had a breakout season in twenty twenty two, and the Steelers have agreed to terms with the pass rusher on a four year, sixty eight million dollar extension. Rap Sheet reported on Wednesday. The team confirm the news. High Smith was entering the final year of his rookie deal in twenty twenty three, and now shook he is among the top highest paid pass rushers in the NFL. Your thoughts on high Smith and the move.
Speaker 4: Fourteen and a half sacks in a year in which he operated largely without TJ.
Speaker 1: Watt.
Speaker 4: That's pretty good numbers. This is a guy who I think had the raw ability and needed to just kind of acclimate and getting a full NFL body. He looked really good at the combine and given the opportunity to really show off his skills without Watt on the other side, he performed. He produced, and now they're gonna get wapped back and we got two really good edge rushers, so they're gonna pay him as such because again they're not paying a quarterback, so they have a little bit more money to spend.
Speaker 2: I do like when teams have like a consistent profile and them having two great outside linebacker edge rushers has basically been the story of the Steelers for most of the last fifteen years. And high Smith steps right, and I feel like not a lot of people know him. He got better and better every year. Wasn't that, you know, highly touted coming out of college and laugh year was awesome.
Speaker 1: And finally in the news yes, I went with an Andy Dalton highlight for the news drop today. Perhaps Chad Johnson deserves love too, he was a big time performer for Cincinnati in the previous decade. Dalton Love thrown to Chad Johnson or Chad Ocho Cinco, and he will be inducted into the team's Ring of Honor on September twenty fifth, the team announced Thursday. Also being inducted is Boomer Siason, former league MVP Nearly took the team to an incredible upset victory over the forty nine Ers in Super Bowl twenty three. Frankly and I love Boomer. He went to the Jets. He was declining at that time, but he was a fun player to watch and a real New York guy. Grew up in Long Island in West Hempstead. I don't know why he wasn't in the Ring of our Honor already. I don't know if there was some heat between Cincinnati and Boomer at some point, but both men go in two rock solid additions, greg because Johnson and Boomer very memorable players in their respective eras.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm like, is there a backstory if I'm if I'm if I'm Boomers Sias And I'm almost annoyed that, like, I'm going in the same time as Chad Johnson. I think it does have to do with Assias and asked for a trade out of Cincinnati. You know that he forced his way out. He set the playbook that Carson Palmer would later follow, and grumbled a little bit about ownership.
Speaker 3: So it took a while, but it's good to see.
Speaker 1: I have some info just so we're this is very Cincinnati as well, although of course they've kind of gotten their act together now they have a potential Ring of Honor quarterback in his prime right now. But Cincinnai didn't even establish their Ring of Honor until twenty twenty, so okay, maybe Boomer should have been part of the first class or whenever that was, but yeah, that or twenty twenty. But yeah, he got in in one of the first groups. So I guess we could stand down a little bit.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say it felt like Burrow's arrival woke up the Bengals to the fact that they're an NFL franchise, and they've been steadily improving their club since then. They renamed their stadium with you know, they got the corporate dollars, the build the practice facility. Now they're doing the Ring of Honor. You know, they're getting up to speed now.
Speaker 2: One of my favorite parts of this, and it makes me feel a little old at like Chad Johnson is old enough to do this, because I do think people remember him more for changing his name and the touchdown celebrations and kind of forget he had about seven seasons where he had Hall of Fame production. I think he's a legit Hall of Fame conversation, He'll probably be on the edge, but like thirteen hundred yard type seasons a.
Speaker 3: Year after year.
Speaker 2: But this also reminded me that Corey Dillon absolutely destroyed Mike Brown like two weeks ago for not being part of their Ring of Honor. I don't know if he knows they just started a few weeks ago, but on this he called it BS and he was very upset about being held out of there. He said, I'm pretty sure they will put effing John Kittna in there before they put me. A matter of fact, Scott Mitchell will end up in that mother effer before I do.
Speaker 3: That was Corey Dillon. A few I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Why I challenge, Why challenge a team to hold you out? I'm gonna name some guys. This is good stuff here from the Athletic Paul Denner Jr. Who has been on the show. I believe correct, Yeah, yeah, here are some guys if they're assuming Cincinnati goes with two guys a year in the Ring of Honor. Some names that are out there Corey Dillon obviously, but it might have to simmer down a little bit. Uh. This is for Chris Westling's brothers back in the West Side of Cincinnati. Jim Breach, James Brooks, Chris Collinsworth, David Fulcher, Tim Crumrae, Dave Lapham, Max Montoya, Lamar Parrish, Bob Trumpy, Reggie Williams. All will remain from the original list of nominees. Those are some guys capital esque capital G.
Speaker 4: I was thinking TJ. Housman Zata might make it in there. I don't know, maybe not.
Speaker 1: Yet on the list, but will be on the list eventually when they hit whatever. You know, maybe it's five years.
Speaker 4: Like they can all second facade within the stadium where they put the names on right.
Speaker 1: Geno Atkins, AJ Green, Andrew Whitworth all feel like future additions, but they are not eligible yet. So we have you totally covered on the Cincinnati Bengals Ring of Honor beat.
Speaker 3: I'm glad.
Speaker 2: We threw it out there six straight eleven hundred yard seasons and most of those four of those were over thirteen hundred yards.
Speaker 3: That's pretty good, jud Jets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Boomer was unbelievable. In nineteen eighty eight, he won League MVP and I still, yes, I still picture his final pass of the Dan Reno fake spike game going through the back of the end zone and through the uprights at Giants Stadium, kind of rubber stamped, like his legacy in New York being the QB of that team in that game. However, you know it worked out for Boomer, who's a fantastically successful radio guy in New York and obviously get paid, gets paid a lot for by CBS as well. Boomer's doing all right, all right, We're doing all right. Let's take a break. We'll be right back.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to Around the NFL. This is our last remote show. I'm in Jersey. I'm in Jersey. That's my Springsteen. Greg back in California, Shook in Ohio. We'll all be back next week. I've booked by the Way Gregy, one of our favorite guests and one of my favorite segments. We'll be back at Connor Orr will be joining us next week for Team Slogans for twenty twenty three, so make sure you're there for that. Everybody.
Speaker 2: It's Big Monday, Yeah in the studio, and I guess we assume Sessler's you know, we'll return from his family trip, but you never know.
Speaker 1: It's just an assumption. And as you might expect, the Hard Knocks podcast will also be returning in a couple of weeks. That just so happens that the New York Jets are the team, so kind of works out nicely there for Zeuser getting an entire sub podcast series based off coming off the Around the NFL Tree. Connie and I will be doing weekly recaps every Tuesday, and we'll be doing a preview show that's gonna land soon, so that's exciting housekeeping. Finally, this is the Nick Shook episode this summer, and we're getting to no Shook. We have a segment that's a playoff is name, which is just spicy as hell, Gregy whenever you could play off one of the great last names in the industry. But before we get to that, we heard his three Desert Island albums, very hip hop heavy. He loves rap, Greg likes it, Shook loves it. That's been noted. Now it's time for Shook's three favorite sitcoms of all time. Now, what era we going? We're going all time, Shooky were going retro era decades.
Speaker 4: Tell me what you guy, Now, we followed your suggested format of nineties, two thousands and two. And there's gonna be a little bit of blurring at the lines here because some of these had been running for quite some time and could you know, encompass multiple decades. But starting with the nineties, what choice is there other than Seinfeld, one of the greatest sitcoms of all time, dominated the decade, incredible ratings. In the final episode. People were watching it in Times Square when they had ctvs that were jumbotrons and big squares. It was great. It's a great show.
Speaker 1: I still watch it all the time and Shure, you're you're significantly younger by I think, like a decade of Greg and I something like that. I remember that night specifically, when Seinfeld went off the air in May of ninety eight. I had a baseball game. I was a high school senior, and everybody was like racing back from the baseball game to get home to watch the finale of Seinfeld, and it was, you know, not the best, but it was a very Looking back, it's very hard to close out a show like that with that amount of hype around the finale. But I also remember Frank's and I died that night, and it was like this huge cultural moment where maybe the greatest entertainer of the twentieth century.
Speaker 2: I think you just broke the news to shook based on the look on his face, Frank Sinatra is dead.
Speaker 1: It's Frank Sinatra. Sinatra dies the same day Seinfeld ends, which is the last great sitcom of the twentieth century.
Speaker 4: That's you know, that was a big day, harrowing news from the ABC News.
Speaker 2: I love that you threw that out there, but it does remind me of one of my all time favorite or are you kidding me? Segments where Connor just spent ten minutes destroying Seinfeld saying that it was overrated. Yeah, it was terrible, and that people like yourself, and I'm always shocked our friend Sean Kelly, who's one of the production people NFL, who's in his mid twenties, huge Seinfeld fan. I'm almost surprised how much it's connected with the youth.
Speaker 1: I think it's a bit of a tired take, and I've gone a O'Connor every once in a while when when his his takes seemed just designed to to to shock an awe uh. Going after Seinfeld is not being as good as people say it. I mean, I feel like just people showing their ass and not realizing what that show was doing and how different it was in its era. That's my two cents.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's no Skip Bayless, though he believed it. He believed That's why I loved.
Speaker 1: It all right.
Speaker 4: Number two show number two, we go to the two thousands, and although it is still running because it came back a cousin of Seinfeld Curb your Enthusiasm. Okay, great show with both.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, kind of the same genre basically, yes, yeah, I kind of a spinoff in a way. Really, it's kind of yeah, kind of.
Speaker 4: I'm a genre guye. This show gives me a lot of anxiety because I don't like conflict that much, and so I can't watch it before bed like I do watch Seinfeld. But when I'm not going to bed, I enjoy it very much.
Speaker 1: Great show, probably should probably should go away, but it's fine, right, Larry David could do whatever he wants.
Speaker 2: I feel like I'm the ultimate. Yeah, I don't think this was the intent, but it's like people fight over credit a little bit. Everyone wants their credit, like different coaches want credit. Larry David doing Curb sort of was the ultimate, like I'm gonna go win five super Bowls on my own when I won three with you and prove who is the real the real there is.
Speaker 1: There are some Brady Belichick parallels with Brady to the Bucks being curb your enthusiasm.
Speaker 4: Which is crazy because if you think about it, Seinfeld would be Brady and Belichick would be Larry David. Literally number three and finally number three the twenty tens. This is a show that actually started in the two thousands, and I watched this from when I was in high school and I still watch it. It's always sunny in Philadelphia. Now, this show has lost some steam in recent years and this new season right now, it's hit or miss. One episode is hilarious, another episode I could do without. But the earlier seasons were premiere just top notched that like Seinfeld was doing something different in the nineties, always Sonny was doing something very different when they first came around and with no money for a long time, and it has remained very popular.
Speaker 1: I like this because I understand your sensibilities now shook, and it is a great choice. I do agree. I love the early years, especially when the show in addition to all the characters being grimy, look grimy, it just looked cheap. And now I've when I stumble upon a recent episode, I'm taken aback by how they all kind of look like TV stars and the lighting is better. But it's followed that always sunny. Excuse me, it's followed the curb format. In fact, I think in an interview one of the guys said, like one of the tenets of the show continuing as long as that has been is like Larry David was like, you don't have to end it. You could just keep things going. You could take a couple of years off. Don't have to end of show, dude, as long as you want. I saw a recent episode that the Chuck E Cheese type episode, which I was funny as hell. So they still have they could reach back and hit ninety two on the gun every once in a while, but Pek always sunny. Yeah, that I'll laugh my ass off on that show.
Speaker 4: I like how they stay topical too, Like they even made an episode related to the chest cheating scandal that happened last year where Frank ends up getting inserted into the chess tournament. And yeah, it's just hilarious. St hilarious.
Speaker 1: Greg, we're learning about him.
Speaker 3: I we need to do this more.
Speaker 1: All right. With that said, I feel.
Speaker 3: We learned that he liked F one.
Speaker 2: By the way, everyone should check out his his podcast that combines football and F one, the grid Iron Podcast, which I have to admit, Shook, I've seen you promote on Instagram and everyone and I thought it was a combined football weightlifting podcast and that the Iron men, because you guys, you know, you're a big guy. I don't know about your co host, but so I thought that's a weird angle. The weightlifting football podcast F one makes more sense to me.
Speaker 4: It's a new segment idea. Why not let's incorporate Wait.
Speaker 1: How about this? How about this? You're knowledgeable in all three fields, So grid represents F one pumping that would be the weightlifting component, and then Iron for football Grid pumping Iron. That's just keep on drawing this out and adding elements of the show. It's a it's a three.
Speaker 4: Header grid pumping sizzling iron, we get cooking involved, you know, just keep going, going and going till it's a giant mouthful like you never get out.
Speaker 1: All right, Nick Schuck has a great name, a great last name, So we just built an entire segment on it. With training camp and a new season upon us, it's time for us to share what has a shook in the NFL right now? And it's uh. I think it's it's pretty self explanatory, like things that are just gnoying at us a little bit, things that have us a little annoyvous. Perhaps you annoy us about certain things. As the season kicks off.
Speaker 2: I feel like Shuk's last name has been the subject of many different segments, like I've seen it on NFL Network, but none of better than what hasse is Shuck. This was there the whole time, Shuck. You could have taken it.
Speaker 3: You blew it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good morning football. If you want to have Nick on, there's a free bee for you.
Speaker 4: I don't have any agency over my name. In fact, I just push people away from using my name because this is the first reply I say something on Twitter, I'm shook. Would you see that? But here it's fine?
Speaker 1: All right? Great, and again sorry about the cross contamination with your Madden business relationship. That was totally unintentional.
Speaker 4: You know how many emails I don't have to send? Now, Dan, everybody back into good graces.
Speaker 1: All right? So why don't we get it started with Nick Shook? What has you shook about the NFL right now as we enter a new season.
Speaker 4: Maybe I'm just off base, maybe I'm out of touch, but I find it hard to believe that Ron Rivera would tie his future in the NFL as a head coach to a quarterback who played just one games rookie last year. That seems to be the prevailing wisdom. And if that actually does happen, I'll be shook because, quite frankly, you couldn't choose a less stable way to go about trying to keep your job, especially with Jacoby Brissett on the roster. I mean, that's why you go sign the guy right security? He went and played pretty well in Cleveland last year in a team that was influx. This team has talent at receiver, has talent running back, still pretty talented upfront as well. Why not go with the veteran when this could be your last year. Don't be the savior, Ron, save yourself.
Speaker 2: It has been a little surprising that coming out of the offseason workouts that there doesn't seem to be a battle. That it's one of the few big surprises of the ota season, like that actually they gave Jacoby Brissett all that money, more than any other backup in the market got, and that he's not going to get a chance to compete.
Speaker 3: But I'm not shook about this.
Speaker 1: I like it, all right, Yeah, I am. I'm definitely shook about it. Talked about it on the show. It seems like Ron is just in a vulnerable place. We led the show today obviously talking about the sale of the franchise and the inevitable transition and that comes with new ownership. And I feel like Ron is kind of in a knowing situation here unless something really unexpected happens, like Howell plays his ass off. That's like the is that the only way Ron keeps his job here? They got it. Howell plays his ass off, surprises a lot of people, and they have a winning record. Otherwise, you just I just assume that that they're gonna want to totally clean slate after you know, no organization's been dirtier than the Commanders than this team, so they're gonna want to start over, unless to.
Speaker 2: Hell Mary, maybe I think they got to make the playoffs. With a new owner, you have to make the playoffs. It's his year four. I think it's a decent looking roster. I did the NFC East preview actually with Mina Kimes on her podcast people to check that out, and like, I went back to watch that that Howell start in a little bit of his preseass. I know it's just one start, but I'm very intrigued. I think he went through his reads quickly. I think he passes the baseline of NFL quarterbacks, which is if you protect him, he's gonna be fine. And then I think he has the plus traits that you don't see necessarily out of like a Desmond Ritter. Certainly, like that one start he made getting to his second read really quickly quite a lot of times. And then we know he can run. He's a little smaller. That worries you that he runs too much, but he can run, and he can throw a very pretty go ball. Like there's some plus traits. I'm excited to watch it. It's made me more excited to watch.
Speaker 1: The Commanders than I have been such a I get it, it's good and obviously good to watch a tape, but one game is such a small sample size that you know the opponent, how they good.
Speaker 2: In the preseason two I would say like, yeah, I know it's not that much, but I'm but I'm saying that one game.
Speaker 3: I was thinking about it.
Speaker 2: I went back and looked at I did little grading the QB Index stuff, and it's like it was probably better than any start Daniel Jones made his rookie year, or like Drew Locke made his rookie year. I was trying to think of like mid level quarterbacks, and like it was a really good performance.
Speaker 1: That's all I think.
Speaker 4: Go ahead. If you're worried about your job. It's such a risky play, and with new ownership, you can almost guarantee that you're gone, unless, like you guys said, you make the playoffs. Putting writing with that, I mean, you're being the caretaker of the club that's probably not going to keep you around if you're just trying to develop this guy.
Speaker 2: If I was Eric b Enemy, I'd be a little shook too that this is his big chance. But I think they think they're gonna win with running defense.
Speaker 1: We'll see it just kind of similar this topic, so this will be a good sag. I part of me likes, like if I'm a Bucks fan, part of me likes their decision to not say, oh, well Tom's gone now Tom, by the way, you know, he lost thirty million dollars in the collapse of FTX thirty million, and I know he's got a lot of money, but he's also you know, getting divorced or just got divorced, Like thirty million. That hurts.
Speaker 2: I think I think that is a level that is a significant amount of pain for Tom Brady.
Speaker 3: Okay, I don't know how rich you have to be for that not to hurt.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you what if if you called me and said you're you just lost thirty million dollars, yeae, I'd be shook.
Speaker 1: Would it be enough for Tom maybe to end up playing another year. It's the only way for Tom Brady to make thirty million like that is just to play one more season in the NFL. I don't know, it doesn't matter, or it does, we'll see, But the Bucks did make this decision not to just start over post Brady, and I don't necessarily agree with it. But at the same time, if you're a Bucks fan, you look at this division, the NFC South, they say, all right, I can talk ourselves into this. But what has me shook is the pivot. I don't think Baker Mayfield could play at this level in a consistent basis. I've kind of thought that for a couple of years, and sometimes he'll drop a game that will get you excited, and he does have that sizzle and that he there's a Q rating with Baker that I think far exceeds his abilities as a quarterback. So I'm shook if I'm a Bucks fan that like you do this. You bring back Bulls who obviously I think needs to make the playoffs this year, and you bring back a lot of the veterans on defense, and you keep godwinning Mike Evans when you probably could have started looking toward the future and made some trades this offseason potentially, And now it's Baker. And if Baker falls on his face like he has every year the last three or four years, it's Kyle Trask, a second round pick who you're obviously not too fond of or high on at this point based on some decisions they've made. I just, you know, i'd be a little shook if I'm a Bucks fan, happy that we're not, you know, tanking, but a little concerned about the overall plan and what Todd Bowles can do with a quarterback like that.
Speaker 4: I think the circumstances that give the Buccaneers fans hope with this situation, like oh, the Baker just needs to be like average and we have enough talent around him to win, is the same circumstances that leave me shook, which is that if he's not that guy, everything's falling apart. I mean, cleaning house top to bottom. That was what would leave me very word going to the season. No longer can Tom Brady protect you? And he did his best to protect you last year and you barely got to the finish line. I mean it was it was a rough year. I can't imagine it's could be any better this time around. It's a tough scene and perhaps, like you said, Dan, before long they're going to be starting over.
Speaker 2: I'm so there. The odds makers most likely team to finish in the cellar in that division by far, like it's the other three, the Falcons and the Saints especially are way ahead of them. I don't see it that way, but I do totally agree with you, Dan, because I look at it like which teams potentially are gonna be I sores for me personally, like four or five weeks into the season that I'm like getting tired of watching them, and it would be a bummer to be watching like a one in four Bucks team with Baker and Todd.
Speaker 3: Bowles is miserable.
Speaker 2: And all these guys who won Super Bowls are just like slogging through a bad season. They are high up there on the like potential unwatchable teams, So I hope they at least can just like stay mediocre.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, I know Brady finally did regress last season, and I would say, like, I don't know if you guys agree, but the last season of Tom Brady, if that was, he was maybe a replacement level or a touch above because of obviously his genius knowledge of how the quarterback position has played, and he still had an arm. It just it wasn't happening. But remember how how much of a slog they were to watch with Brady at a lesser, lesser level or closer a league average level. Now, if you took this team and gave them a below average or a maybe even a bottom five quarterback room, yeah, this could get very grim. So I am shook. I'm officially shook. Nick shook two for two. All right, greg Ee, you're.
Speaker 2: Up, Okay, I'm shook that the Packers are behind the Bears in the preseason odds. I'm leaning hard on the preseason odds. Like I'm shook that the expectation is that the Bears are going to be much better and that the Packers are this disaster team that's gonna be in the cellar there. Not like the odds are too different, But this makes no sense to me. Not just like looking at which team has won more games over the last two or three years, Like I think that's a factor. Like a lot of the same players are there on both teams, But just looking at Green Bay's defensive roster is money. I think the coaching staff, the coach, the offensive coaching staff is money. I think the offensive line is a little boom or bust, but it could be really, really good. And it's just like all on the quarterback combined with the Bears lost a lot of close games last year, but I think they have a long way to go still on their defense, I want justin Field to be good.
Speaker 3: I hope he's good.
Speaker 2: But the optimism I've seen from Bears fans this offseason, where they just they think it's all happening right now, worries me a little bit. It has me shook that they're gonna be disappointed, and especially for the rest of the division. Who thinks, Okay, Aaron Rodgers is finally gone, like we can finally do our thing.
Speaker 3: I don't know, man.
Speaker 2: I think Jordan Love has a chance to be good, and more importantly, the rest of the roster is good, and they're they are not going into the cellar.
Speaker 3: I'm shook.
Speaker 4: Yeah. For as much as we depend on quarterback value quarterback in this league, at the same time, if your team around it is around that quarterback is much better, I think you have a better shot. I mean, we've seen teams go win Super Bowls with you know, average quarterbacks. Great, that was a while ago, but it happens. I'm not saying they're going to win a super Bowl. But the Bears were not a good football team last year. They had an exciting quarterback, but they had a lot of you know, ground to make up and one exciting offseason of moves and suddenly the optimism is you know, at a fever pitch in Chicago. I'm right there with you, Greg. I am also shook at by the fact that Bears fan I mean, maybe they just need a reason to get get up for the season. But it's not gonna be an overnight success, at least not in my opinion, and in comparison to the Packers, I think that's going to be a tough frog to leap.
Speaker 1: We are all in lockstep on this one because one of my possibilities here, if it hadn't been brought up, was me comma and Bears fans Comma are over our skis with the Justin Fields type because you can and I'm sure you guys have seen it as well when you if you read about this team, you could pop the hood on a lot of fields as stats and beyond the playmaking, there's reasons to be concerned about his development as a passer. And I know he's out there in the media now and you know Eric Kramer finding Eric Kramer has the team record for yardage in a season three eight hundred yards and Fields of saying, oh yeah, I'm breaking that this year four thousand yards. I'm being the first Chicago Bears quarterback in history to do that. We kind of have to see it. We have to see that development from that side of the game. We also have to see him stay healthy. He plays a very physical brand of football obviously. So while I am in on the Bears, maybe I know the Lions are kind of the favorite in the division and the Packers, I agree, are kind of overlooked right now as a team that has a real chance to come out of that division on top. While I see the Bears could be the team that has the biggest jump win loss record. There's also another side of this, and we can't ignore everything that we've seen with Fields and only study on the electrifying side of his game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, our friend Adam Rank, you know, big Bears guy, I had them going twelve and five on his.
Speaker 3: That's what I mean.
Speaker 2: It's like, just be careful, you're setting yourself up here, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Chuck, give us another one, Bud, all right.
Speaker 4: I am shook by the idea of playing a Super Bowl in Las Vegas. I'm shook by the the the challenge it will be not to not have a good time, but to not have too much of a good time for some of the folks that will be involved in the super Bowl weekly festivities. You know, no, no, come on now, I'm I'm a mature adult and a professional. But I don't know if everybody else that's around the super Bowl is gonna be it's gonna be a mad house. I mean, bottom line's gonna be crazy. Everything's gonna be condensed. You know, We're not gonna be all spread out like you were in the Phoenix area last year, like you were in Miami. It's all right there, and I don't know. I just some interesting things have happened since pro sports have moved to Vegas, putting a super Bowl there, It's gonna be quite a spectacle. But behind the scenes, I don't know.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, we got through the Draft last year without incident. Obviously, that's a different vibe, far less parties and things of that nature. I have to I have to be honest with you guys. I well, a little bit of personal news, family news. My my father injured his achilles a couple of weeks ago and needed to undergo surgery. So Keith is, you know, down right now, and he's got a rehabit in front of him, and you know, yeah, the Super bowls in February, and you know my team that I love is oh all right. And here I am thinking, if the Jets ever made the Super Bowl in my lifetime, I am not not watching that game without my dad by my side. And I'm thinking about my dad's rehab and I'm counting the months and I'm saying, okay, is this even? Is this? Am I jinxing the Jets by even trying to figure my dad's rehab Achilles schedule? And February I just got to get Keith to Vegas if it ever happened the unthinkable. So that was ad has Mesha that that whole situation. I'm less worried about the things you're worried about, Shook, but I hope everyone is responsible. I mean, you're not a father Shook yet. But this really shows that you will be a good dad, Nick, because you know, you think about these things.
Speaker 4: Get the bet on time kids a lot, by the way, like one of those things that you put on the wall to count down by them by the second to kickoff.
Speaker 2: Feel better, Keith, I, I didn't know that. I know he's gonna have a heroic recovery in time for this Jet super Bowl.
Speaker 3: What a story that would be.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's the real you know hero here of the the Around the NFL podcast. That would be an amazing plot line. I'm not as worried about, uh, the Vegas, but you're just because it's going to be crazy. And I'm all about Nick like at this point, not saying we've done everything, but we've been to a lot of super Bowls in this seems so different from any super Bowl that we've ever done.
Speaker 3: That that excites me.
Speaker 2: But I also hear you that six seven nights in Vegas feels feels like too much. Probably yeah, any recommended maximum for anyone. Uh and this is the year. Actually I promised Walker that he would make his first one. It's it's close enough, you know, they can get there quickly. So my son will, I hope, see his first super Bowl in Las Vegas.
Speaker 1: That's beautiful. Yeah, we're we're getting old, Greg, and our kids are starting to grow up. I've thought about that myself, about when we're fortunate enough to be able to take people to the Super Bowl when when the games occur, that's cool, all right, Now, I'm up one more from me. I'm a little bit shook that the report that came out of the jets of band cameras from filming cuts on hard knocks in general. I'm a little shook about hard knocks in the future of hard knocks, but I'm not going to go down that road.
Speaker 3: Have any team ever done that in the path?
Speaker 1: I think there are been teams that may be more on the it wasn't kind of reported because this has become like the story around the season is that the team doesn't want to do it. So I think there's more reporting around this season for that reason. But I think it's definitely been de emphasized but not entirely eliminated for the most part. And we mentioned Chad Johnson one of the most memorable hard knocks and it's an unfortunate storyline around his NFL career. But when Chad Ochosenko with the Dolphins during the Joe Fildman era was on that show and he got arrested for a domestic violence incident, they had the cameras in camp when Phildman and Jeff Ireland, I believe it was let Johnson go, and it was obviously an emotionally charged moment for this great player who was seeing his career end in an unceremonious fashion. I don't know if It's career actually ended there, but his Dolphins career ended. That will not be part of things in Hard Knocks. But I guess what really has me shook is all these running backs reportedly on a group text chat talking about revenge or plotting some type of to borrow a sessler'sm kudeta against an NFL that has turned its back on them and financially penalized them for the position they play. On Monday's program, we talked about the franchise tag deadline for long term deals, and sure enough, Josh Jacobs, the NFL rushing leader, last year a truce titan of the position. Talks never even came close. Between the Raiders and Jacobs, the Giants and Saquon Barkley, talks stalled over a report out there is a two million dollar difference, but the I said, now we're walking away from this. We're just not going to do it. Players like Derrick Henry and Austin Eckler had extremely pointed commentary on Twitter, and then there was that report that they're all conspiring on a text chain. Wouldn't you like to be on that? Let's listen to Saquon Barkley by the way, just to give you an idea of how upset these running backs are. And I know Greg poopu the whole thing on Monday and then said, you know they're damn millionaires, So why did say that?
Speaker 2: I just was like, this is this storyline has gotten a lot of airtime, that's all.
Speaker 1: I think it's deserved. I think it's a very a just cause that these running backs are are speaking out on because it is bonkers to me, the point that it's gotten to. Anyway, here's Saquon talking about his situation on the Money Matters podcast. I would say cut the giants.
Speaker 5: I'd say to my teammates and be like, you want me show you my work? I want to show you how much how valuable I am to the team. I won't show up, I won't play it down. And that's a that's a that's a that's a play I can use do I anybody knows me knows that's not something I want to do. But like it's something that has It's something that crossed my mind. It say, I never I never thought I would ever do that, But now I'm at a point where it's like Jesus, like I might have to take it to this level, And like, am I willing? Am I prepared to take it to the level?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't think Barkley will hold out. I think he's even saying it there like because he's not h he's not willing to do that to his teammates and and disappear for a long stretcher the whole season. And we saw with Le'Veon Bell what happens sometimes or potentially if you walk away for a year. Greg Pro Football Talk, your old boss Florio had a good post about what what actual what can running backs do? And he pointed out that a holdout after year three, if you're coming off year three, is really your only chance because they you're far enough away where they it can't be a situation where they're just gonna look to tag you after year four or year five. If you're a first round pick and if you're coming off that big third year. Zeke Elliott was able to turn that into an extension. Barkley to use him as an example, that's when he tore his ACL so he had no leverage. He wasn't able to do that. So if you have a big third season, you could turn that into a payday. Otherwise, once they get you to that the end of that first contract, they're just gonna play ball like this with you. Whether you like it or not. It's just become the way the league is being run business wise.
Speaker 2: Right, I mean, I think Jacobs and Barkley are in Pollard to a lesser degree, are interesting examples of that. They didn't have that leverage they've they had up and down careers coming off year three. Like that's I don't think it's overheated. I think it's an interesting conversation. But like Joe Mixon, Dalvin Cook, Alvin Kamara, all those guys actually did get paid because they were consistently.
Speaker 3: At a high level.
Speaker 2: And when you look at the salaries or running backs they're similar still, Like even though they've they've stagnated, there are in the ballpark of tight ends and safeties like no one no one's crying for the safety market getting overlooked in free agency every year, And that kind of makes sense to me that those three positions would be a little lower. The problem is, and I hope all this attention uh raises light to it is in the CBA in that like, I don't think the rookie contracts, the way it structured, how you're stuck on the team and how low those rookie contracts are is probably unfair in general, but it's especially unfair to running backs because that's when their careers peak. And I do think there's probably something that could be revisited. Unfortunately for the players not for a long time, like they like agreed to this CBA and it's a totally different NFL than it was before this rookie raid wage scale came in. And I think the rookie wage scale was so far in one direction for the top players that they they probably over corrected. And it's almost insane how great a value any rookie is on a O contract, and especially running backs who burn out quickly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think about you know, you talk about that year three Mark. I think about a DeVonta Freeman, you know, he drafted in fourteen, extended in seventeen and the Falcons regretted it shortly thereafter. I mean, there's there's been enough lessons in the last decade or.
Speaker 2: So, right, Cook didn't get to the end of that contract. These running backs usually don't.
Speaker 4: Neither did Zeke obviously, Yeah, yeah, and Girly kind of a similar case as well.
Speaker 2: See they did mix in for that matter. He just got he had to take a pay cut.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So it's it's really tough to be a running back. And this is very legion of doom though this this text chain, I like this. I liked them sitting around and speaking with you know, I don't know lawyers or we're all gonna because by the time that CBA comes up, they're done. But maybe they're going to pass it on to the next generation and get theirranks out in the meantime.
Speaker 1: And Derek Henry, who did get that second contract with the Titans, and by the way, he's performed well throughout the life of it as the entrance his last year four years fifty million. Like that money though, Greg like that puts him like in line with what like number two wide receivers, get right, I mean he for so, what these true star players are saying is like, if you're gonna pay out a wide receiver, I think that's the closest positional group in terms of playmaker on the offense that makes the team go. Why are we not getting paid like these wide House or even guys that are below the top tier white House? Why we in a in a lower class. It's just a positional group screw job. It's like the Montreal screw job of a roster payout.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think people, I think the fact that it's not just PFF, it's people who think like PFF that work for NFL buildings just think wide receiver is twice as valuable a position.
Speaker 1: Hmm. I don't think that's true, but Okay, that's the way.
Speaker 2: I just think that's the thinking that has gone into it, that they just think wide receivers are more important.
Speaker 1: All right, give us one more Greg, here we go, baby, Okay.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm a little shook about the Cowboy offense in general, the way Mike McCarthy talks in general, the fact that he hired Brian Schottenheimer and Mike Solari. Schottenheimer enough said. Celari has been on the Cowboys coaching staff previously. It was under Tom Landry. That's how long their offensive line coach has been around. Like this is as old school as it gets, and then specifically when it comes to McCarthy a little shook. How they're like looking at this offensive line right now. Tyler Swift was probably the best left tackle that was a rookie in the league last year, better than the two top ten picks, and they're probably gonna play him at guard because like Tyron Smith doesn't really fit at right tackle and he's a future Hall of Famer, And then they have Terren Steele who's coming off right and they just think, like, Okay, we can get our best five out here if we put our rookie back at guard. It just it all feels a little weird, like conservative thinking. And if you've got a rookie left tackle that plays that well, moving him around because of like an oft injured couple of veterans doesn't make a lot of sense, And just in really supports the conservative thinking. I would say that's going on in Dallas has me a little worried, has me shook.
Speaker 4: I mean, they kind of ran into this situation last year. This is what they dealt with. I was the succession plan. All right, he can play guarden and then Tyrann's going to retire and Tyler's going to take over, and you know Rench was thrown to the plans. I agree with you, but I also see their logic to get the best five out there. My only thing is that Jason Peters ended up in this starting lineup last year because of this, Right, Like, you got to plan a little bit better than they have for similar scenarios when you have an oft injured tackle like Tyron Smith. So I yeah, I'm more shook about the fact that Mike McCarthy's calling plays than anything that he's taking over the offense and decided to split with Kellen Moore in an acrimonious way, and we already know that he struggles with managing the claw sometimes. So it's I mean, you're on the line. Now, Wait are they gonna run more?
Speaker 2: He talks like they're just gonna run more, but they already were running too much ineffectively, and now they don't really have any depth behind Pollard, who's coming off a serious injury.
Speaker 3: It's a little weird.
Speaker 1: We'll see Zeke's gonna end up back there. It feels like, right, just feels like for a team that is conservative and how they're kind of rolling this plan out wouldn't they bring back the guy that knows their scheme that they could trust to, whether it's blocking assignments or know, you know, how they like to run the football. Maybe it's Stafl. Cook, as we talked about a Monday, but Zeke at a much reduced rate, giving them a little security blanket feels in line with the kind of ethos of where they're at right now.
Speaker 2: Offensively, I'd feel differently about them if they signed Cook. I think that'd be the best spot for him. Maybe Kareem Hunt even, but someone one.
Speaker 4: Of those guys makes sense.
Speaker 1: We'll be doing our annual head coach hot butt rankings in a couple of weeks, and McCarthy's an interesting one because I'm just one thing I'm not sure about is what constitutes an acceptable level of success for McCarthy to have another year on the sidelines. Like what is Jarah expecting from this team? I mean, he's expecting a super Bowl because he's Jerah, but like what would be deemed a fireable offense in terms of a bottom line result for the twenty twenty three Cowboys. Kind of stick a pin in that. But I think it's a nice little plot line in the NFC.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think getting read of your offensive coordinator exposes you to that and makes it something that we definitely have to watch for sure.
Speaker 1: Good call. That is one of those things like when you're trying to figure out how safe a coach is if they made a coordinator change, that's kind of using their mulligan, if you will. That's their little protection card, and once that's done, you're more in the firing line. All right, shooky, damn man, you said it all. I feel like we learned a lot about Nick today, Greg. I feel I feel closer to Nick, and I feel like we should keep Nick in the mix to be on the Sunday Night flagship program based on I just I like the guy. I don't know, I just like the guy.
Speaker 2: I mean same, I don't know if people don't. We go back pretty far with Nick. How when when were you hired Nick?
Speaker 4: I mean the first time or the second time?
Speaker 2: The first time, because I believe I was the one who did the hiring.
Speaker 3: Hired. I hired Nick shook back in the day.
Speaker 4: Way back in the year twenty fourteen.
Speaker 3: So like we've got that's what I realized.
Speaker 2: Like Dan, we've been around at this company long time, you've you've been around even longer.
Speaker 3: But we've both both been there, been doing this job a lot.
Speaker 2: Like I still think of shooking Patrick Clayban, for instance, as like, oh, yeah, they're kind of new arrivals. It's like, no, it's been nine years now for both of them.
Speaker 1: We're like two like old ass like Gandalf wizard types, just like survivors that see everyone as kids at this point, right.
Speaker 2: But the reality Shook's been in here, been there that most of the time we have too.
Speaker 1: I'm shook by the passage of time about that.
Speaker 4: When I walk in the newsroom in the one time I go out to LA every eighteen to twenty four months and I see one of the younger DCPs, I am also shook because that was what's me.
Speaker 1: I remember Shook. You know, you might have hired Shook NFL, but I also signed Shook to a softball contract and his lovely are you guys married now? I know you're you're engaged now or yeah, married as soon to be wife when they were just young pups, like just falling in love on the softball field and saying, wow, these kids got a chance as we h you know, just roared to our second consecutive championship in Los Angeles.
Speaker 4: I was going through some stuff in my basement a couple of weeks ago and pulled out my jersey and my championship.
Speaker 2: Gorgeous were we were actually the free agent class. You were like, you were like, I'm trying to think of a great GM in history. You know, you were making some great sign means that year. Me and Schuck really added to the added to the mix, mading sure you didn't fall off.
Speaker 1: It was you know, it was That's why I always called Wes, Mike and Siglieri, because we put a little more thought into the roster construction than people might have realized during work hours. Probably you were the boss at the time, Greg, so we probably hit it from you. But you know, there was, you know, a lot of discussion what's the best version of the team. And when Shook hit the scene with those shoulders and the biceps, you're like, oh, we just found our number five hitter. We just we just found a middle of the oner presence. And then your your fiance, she was an athletic a woman is like, oh, we just found another winner here. So it was like a double ringer signing of the Shook family package deal.
Speaker 4: But I have one question for you, Dan, when you were working with WESN really charting this out and envisioning a championship, not only winning but defending roster, were you a spreadsheet guy or were you a magnet on the board type of magnet on.
Speaker 1: The board big time. Yeah, we don't. We don't pop the hood with softball. We just said, who's a good hang who played sports at any time in their life? Who can we count on to.
Speaker 2: Coming off the bus that's going to intimidate the other team exactly?
Speaker 1: A big factor, A big reason for the Shield success was we were not a twenty five cabs twenty five guys at the end of the day type team, and Shook you a great addition.
Speaker 4: I always happy to be part of it.
Speaker 1: All Right, that's it for another edition of Around the NFL. We'll be back, Like we said, first show in first week in a while, Greg, We're going to be doing three shows next week as training camp kicks off in earnest across the league. So make sure you're there for that. Any oh final ooh, just in time before I say goodbye here, guys, I have an official statement from Bob Bates DDS retired on the Denzel Mims era in New York. You guys ready for this, all right, official statement. I'm really surprised and disappointed he didn't make not only a big impact on the Jets, but also becoming a big time star. I hope the change in scenery with the Lions will give him a shot of becoming that star. With Mims' size and adequate speed, he should help them. I haven't given up on him.
Speaker 4: There it is, I gotta say evidence.
Speaker 2: If you're Bob Bates, the Lions might be your number one draft pick. If ever, there was a spot that Mims could make the team, maybe make some impact. With Jamison Williams out at the beginning of the season as kind of their their deep threat guy, this is his chance. But I guess I'm not as optimistic. But I hope I'm wrong.
Speaker 1: All Right, There we go, and it should be noted on the way out the door. Eric Roberts just chimed in our producer myself a Randy, big Randy behind the scenes, and Sean Kelly won the softball champion Chip last season with the NFL two squad. How about that? So the next the next generation carries on the dynasty. Unbelievable. Thank you.
Speaker 2: I want to know who is the George Seaffert to year Bill Walsh, Dan.
Speaker 1: Good questions question another time, another discussion. All right until next week.
Speaker 3: He's a call.