Speaker 1: What's going on? Everyone? Welcome back to the Fantasy Rose Football Podcast. Today. I'm your host Derek Brown and with me as Andrew Erickson. We're recording live from the NFL Combine. We're gonna be giving you these microcasts today and tomorrows. Stay tuned to the feed today. For this episode, we're going to talk about the tight end position and what these guys did and didn't do at the NFL Combine on Friday night. And before I get Andrew in here, who talk about a disappointing night. I mean it was bad. You had guys running slow forties. You had guys that were tweeters. We're gonna talk about you soon here, Fan and Junior, and guys that really really face planted didn't help their NFL draft stock. But we are going to talk about a few guys that might be rising at the board ericson. I'm gonna get you in here, man. I mean, look it, I know we both kind of were sending in the stands and we felt like overall it was a disappointing night. Before we get into players' specific takes here and talk about writers and follers, what were your overall thoughts of Friday Night's NFL combine for the tight end position.
Speaker 2: Overall, thoughts were pretty underwhelming to say the least. You know, we were thinking that we would get a really fast four yard dash time from hail Fan and Junior. That ended up not being the case whatsoever. We figured, Okay, this guy can break at least four seven and run into low four to sixes, but that ended up not being the reality. So however, we did get one surprising guy that kind of popped off that will break down a Oregon duck, so someone that Bonix used to throw the football to. So he was a really surprise and kind of a pleasant surprise in that aspect. But the main three guys that were kind of most excited about for fantasy football purposes, between Royo, Loveland and Warren, none of those guys tested, and those are gonna be the first three tight ends drafted, and the guys are going to probably be most fantasy relevant. So disappointed that they didn't get a chance to really show, okay is what they can do, but they were wise and Spirin Oleven was in a sling, so there was no chance he was going to be testing or I was also dealing with something as well, but looking forward to chopping out though.
Speaker 1: Without further ado. Man, let's jump into this. Terrence Ferguson tight End out of Oregon. We got to talk about him because he blazed some really impressive combine numbers. I know you haven't gotten to his film yet. I wrote him up already. I'm gonna go back and amend some of my write up, but talk about Terrence Ferguson what he did and what do you think this did to his NFL draft talk.
Speaker 2: Well, he's going to probably be drafted, I would say on day two. Now. He was kind of on the fringe. You've looked at mock draft database in terms of them aggregating all of the consensus big boards. He was a player that was constantly going inside the top one hundred picks, but it was on the fringe. And I think that he's at least solidified himself, if not, you know, in early round four selection, but someone that can be drafted in the beginning or middle of round three. You know, you look at the measurables that he posted. Basically, he led all tight end in four yard dash time, he was first in the vertical jump. He had a great ten yard split in the ninety first percentile. So we've written this all up in our article if people want to go check out every single metric in terms of how he performed. But he was fantastic and he really showed that he could be above his athleticism. And I think it's interesting to bring up one of the comps that you had Debro before the NFL combine. You comped him to Kate Aughton. So Awton isn't really noticed as a player that's like over the athletic, like he kind of does what's asked of him as a tight end, and it's like, are we getting a potential juiced up Kate Auton with Terrence Ferguson. It's like okay, like like a we can potentially work with that. So yeah, he's someone that I'm excited to kind of go back and see, Okay, is this athleticism on his tape as well? You know? Is he making it in part of the Oregon offense. So someone that we need to take a looker deep at because he has those efficiency marks too, fourteenth in your arts out run fourteen and PFF for steven grade thirty yards after the Cats per perception, So he's really checking off every single box that you're looking for. Where the analytics are there, Yes, the raw counting stats weren't really there, but everything else, Ferguson is looking like a nice sleeper tight end prospect.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. I mean I agree with everything you outline there, and I think like to add on to this and just looking at the overall landscape of the tight end position in this class. Now we're maybe talking about Terrence Ferguson considering some of the guys we're going to talk about in the followers section that honestly face planted, Terrence Ferguson might be the tight end four when it's all said and done in this class where he goes in the NFL Draft and where teams are going to rank him and move him around their boards considering what he did and what other players didn't do at the NFL Combine on Friday night, and I want to zoom out just thousand foot view on this NFL draft class. We discussed this in the Riser Follower article depending on when you're listening to this on fantasypros dot Com right now, but the overall thoughts of this class, I think that Friday night, before we get into our second riser. I just got to talk about, man like, these top three tight ends and specifically talking about Tyler Warren tight end out of Penn State, Colston Loveland tight end out of Michigan, and Elijah Royo tight end out of Miami. They pretty much distanced themselves as the top three tight ends in this class without even testing. Man Like, they're probably gonna be athletic if they test okay, if they test good, they're gonna hold their stock. And the divide between those top three guys and the rest of this class probably widened. I didn't think it was gonna be that wide, but again, you had the guys in that second tier. Gunner Helm's a name we're gonna talk about here in a little bit. Harold Fannin Junior another guy we're going to discuss in a little bit. But those guys were in that tight end three need a tight end five kind of conversation. I mean, do you look at do you see this any different ericson where it's like, do you think that this is a wider divide now or do you think these guys can still be bunched up or maybe Terrence Ferguson can put himself inject himself into that conversation as we move along.
Speaker 2: I think, if anything, he maybe just cement himself atop the next tier, or maybe now he's not someone that we're just totally writing off, but now okay, he is in that next tier with Harold Fannin. It's interesting because Fannin, I think had the most to gain from a strong forty yard dash time where he would be cementing himself within that top tier with those three other guys, like he had a chance. If he had run out gone with a four to six or something along those lines, well we would be talking about him. Oh, he is that fourth tight end in that tier one. But because of how he tested, which again relative to the other tight ends that also tested like he was actually pretty good. But comparing him to the top of the class, well, don't think it's going to shake out that way. And obviously we'll dive int him a little bit more specifically when we're talking about some of the folloers.
Speaker 1: I agree with everything he laid out there. And the next guy we got to bring up here, the last riser for the tight end position for Friday's NFL combine, has to be Joshua Simon tight End out of South Carolina, and I'm going to keep this a bug, dude. I'm going to be transparent here. I have not gotten to Simon's film. I hadn't even looked at his analytics. And so after Friday, this dude went out and put on a show Eric sent for a guy that, like, you look at expected draft positions, you go to mock draft database and.
Speaker 3: You're like, this dude is sitting get tight End twenty two. You got to scroll down for a while before you get to his name. I wasn't familiar with his name. It's like the Shack gift for the meme where it's like, excuse me, I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with your game, sir.
Speaker 1: But looking at Joshua Simon and what he did on Friday night, like we got to talk about him, dude, because again other guys face planting and guys that we're seeing that maybe hoped in the ranks and on some draft boards depending on this testing, Joshua Simon has put himself in the mix for a Day three pick for a player that he went out ran a forty yard dash at four point sixty five, seventy eighth percentile, his vert was ninety third percentile. Also his broad jump ninety first percentile, ten yards split eighty six percent percentile, eighty six percentile. Excuse me, I mean check, check, check, just all the boxes are being checked. And then when I pulled up his analytics as we go to like research and write the article for the site, I'm like, ooh, this dude's also was twenty fifth in yards per out run against all FBS tight ends with twenty or more targets last year, and ericson he was seventh best in YAK per reception. Dude, my spider sense is tangling with this guy. I mean, just based off the analytics, the testing, I hadn't gotten into the film. So unless the film is just terrible, I love this guy like he jumped out the freaking gym and put himself on the map. So if you're sitting in dynasty rookie drafts, especially in tight end premium formats, maybe this is a guy you're ear marking for that fourth round pick. Assuming that he goes somewhere say round four, round five, I even ge him round five draft capital, you need to consider him and keep him ear marked in your queue when he gets the Dynasty rookie draft season, Eric's and anybody anything else to add on Simon?
Speaker 2: Well, like you, I had not really had much exposure to Joshua Simon, did not know much about him. And it's now, okay, we've seen him test. He has this athleticism to him. What are we missing here? You know, why haven't we been talking about him enough? And is this enough to get start talking about him? And I'm just looking at some of his career numbers here, looking at some of the raw stuff where you know, South Carolina in these past two seasons and you know, caught Dyne touchdown like this past year over five hundred receiving yards, seven touchdowns, forty catches, So clear the guy, you know, can go out and catch the football. But he's been in college for six years, so he's he's been he started Western Kentucky in twenty nineteen. So this isn't a player that, oh, well, you know, we'll give him some time. He's had time. So that is one concern. You know, how does he do as an older player? But we've kind of seen these work both ways, where players that are older and more experienced. So I'd come in and kind of hit the ground running. You know, I don't think that he is this like ugem necessary with a amazing talent per se and like how high is his ceiling, But given how experienced he is, well he can probably pick up an NFL off. It's a little bit faster than some of these more younger, younger tight ends that are relying more a little bit on skill, where Simon has a lag up with the experience and obviously now the athleticism to kind of help that along.
Speaker 1: And just to bookend this, Joshua Simon right now, at least the ages that I can find, he's only twenty four years old, so he's not the Tyler Shuck of tight ends. Let's just throw that out there, guy, Yeah, I have to throw that out there, just because we are talking about how long he was in college for getting off the olds and getting into the new of We got to talk about followers here, and I'm gonna lead this off Ericson because this is my pain train, this is my anti love letter. This is a guy that based off of the film and based off the analytics, I was really considering to push him into tight end three. Like my first set of rankings that came out on fantasypros dot com. He was my tight end three in the battle based off the day. It could be a Royo, it could have been gunner Helm. Dude. It was a painful day. Pet Friday was pain, all pain, all the time. We're sitting in the stands and we got there a little bit late, just just to let people know how this all unfolded. We got a little bit late to the stadium. Gunner Helm had already run his first forty. I get a text from friend of the show, Brett Whitefield, and he said, oh dear, You're not gonna be happy, and I'm like, what what happened? Oh gosh, what happened? Gunner Helm goes out and he runs a four to nine to three. Yes you heard me, correct people, a four nine three forty in his first attempt. Didn't get much better in his second attempt because he couldn't clear four eight, and he decided after those two bad attempts he did not want to run a third time. This this is me working this out ericson. I'm working out pain here right on the show. And it was it was tough to watch this because I'm running this through my head and I'm watching him and put up these numbers. And all I'm screaming inside of my head and to anybody that would listen to the sands, was why why is he running? Why is he testing? Why is his agent not saying do this? You should be doing this. This is bad, don't do this. But it happened, so we got to discuss it. And I'll say this, and this is exactly what I put in the article, and I stand by it. Four point eight or higher and a forty yard dash is a coffin nail for fantasy. You can name the guys on one hand over the last ten to fifteen years that will put up productive fantasy seasons. That list gets even shorter if you talk about multiple productive fantasy seasons. Basically, it's Kyle Rudolph and there's nobody else. It's end of list. And now, if gunner Helm somehow becomes a productive asset for fantasy, he will be one of the most massive outlier of outliers. And it makes me so sad because I loved this film, was really high on him entering this process, but now ericson like he's basically undraftable unless we get just massively different numbers, or we get some kind of news that comes out that gunner Helm was running with one hamstring. I don't know what's gonna change it, but something would have to change it for him to become a draftable player in Dynasty and Redraft after these testing numbers. I'm just gonna turn this over to you because and I'm gonna go get some ice for all these wounds and some band aids.
Speaker 2: Right now, I think to answer your first question, why did he run well? Dude, haven't you been paying attention to all these Texas receive everyone's breaking in the forty yard dash time. We just wanted to get it on the fun Isaiah Bond talks about he's going to break the Ford that way Xavier Worthy set last year, Jaden Blue, he's going to run four to two, and gunner Helm, I get another Texas guy. Just wanted to get him on the funy and you want to be left out. And now he's going to be remembered for all the wrong reasons by running basically the worst time and being the least athletic tight end that tested during the twenty twenty five NFL scouting combine. So we'll always have that and if anything, now I have one less tight end that I have to watch because I know that Gunner Helm is not going to be someone that we're going to draft for fantasy football purposes.
Speaker 1: So sorry man. And just because I talked about his forty yard dash before we move move on to Harold Fanning Junior, just so everybody can contextualize this. Gunner Helm forty yard dash four point eighty four, thirty third percentile, his vert thirty inches seventeenth percentile, his three cone fifteenth percentile, his ten yards split twenty twenty fourth percentile. There's nothing good to see here. So with that, we are going to turn this over to Harold Fanning Junior. And Fana Junior was a guy that I thought had a solid, not spectacular mobile. I talked about this on previous shows with Seth on the NFL Draft Show. If you're listening to this, you need to be subscribed to the Dynasty podcast feed and tuning into the NFL Draft Show. The entire the entirety of the NFL Draft process, we are going through everything with magical guests. But Fana Junior, I was worried about could he how was he going to come out here and test ericson for a player on film that it was like, Okay, the short area is there, the short area of quickness is there. But considering his size, because he did weigh in here at the combine at two forty one, I'm here to tell people that does not freaking matter. Because he was two thirty eight at Senior Bowl. The three pound difference does not matter. If you've ever weighed yourself in the morning and gone back and weighed yourself in the afternoon, you can bury five to six pounds. Who knows. So I don't care that he weighed in a little bit heavier here at the combine. He's still the same height. He's still the same archetype player, which is a tweeter. I know. In our conversations here at the combine I evoked the name Jaheim bel a Ton because I am worried. Although the testing wasn't as terrible as maybe I was worried about, it also wasn't amazing. Erickson and I know you're gonna run through all of this, but tell me what are your thoughts about Fan and Junior. I'm worried after and you're gonna lay this all out. I'm worried after this. NFL combine showing with the archetype of player that he is. He's not an inline guy. He's coming from a smaller school. Now you add in the testing help me feel a little bit better about Fan and Junior and the fact that maybe he doesn't fall into the back end of round on four, maybe round five taugh me off the ledge here.
Speaker 2: I think that the issue with with Fan and again, he's already a very polarizing player where you know, he didn't play in line a lot. At the college level, he's going to have to be used more as a receiving tight end. That's going to be his primary focus. That's kind of where he is at the tweeener. But we've seen this with players a lot of the time where they're not big enough to be a full time tight end, but they're too big to be a wide receiver. So it gets confusing based on what type of usage, and you're just hoping that, oh, he goes to a team that knows how to take care of him and use him the right way. So I think that just based on because overall, his his vertical jumps broad jump both in the sixty fifth percent diles ten yard split was actually really good one point five six eighty nine percent dile. It was the forty yard dash that kind of was a little bit eye eyebrow raising where sixty fifth percentile four seven to one and leading up to his forty yard dash, I mean, we were hearing things that this guy is gonna be running in the four sixes, like he was clocked with one of the fastest times at the Senior Bowl that obviously did not translate on Friday, and you brought up the point where he says fastest at the jump, and then he continued to slow down as he was going. Maybe he was not used to carrying all this weight on his body that he magically got just in time for the for the weigh ins. I think that it's not all lost on Fannin because I think that if he doesn't with a creative schemer, I know, we talked about Denver Broncos, like their team that wants to draft the tight end, whether it is Fannin now that he falls, I mean we talked about who could be you know, this year's Troy Franklin. Well, maybe it's Aryl Fannin and he ends up falling today three and who would end up taking him a team like the Denver Broncos who took Troy Franklin and then so those are kind of some of the scenarios I'm thinking about with Fannin.
Speaker 1: You have much more of a glass half full approach than me. For Fanning right now, I'm going to leave the light on for him ericson. I don't know if Fannin's gonna answer the call, but we'll see. Man, I'll maintain some sliver of hope. But so with all of that, we got risers, we got followers, we got testing for tight ends on Friday night. Don't worry, We're not going anywhere, people, We're gonna be back here with the quarterbacks, running backs, and wide receiver testing with another micro cast here for the show. You gotta stay locked in as well as if you haven't heard, we're on Twitch. Baby, we got to Twitch live stream. We're gonna be live nine to thirty pm Eastern on Twitch for Fantasy pros as well as a ton more content. We got updated Dynasty rankings. The Dynasty trade value chart will be out of the first of the month, as well as risers and folloers article on the site for quarterbacks, running backs, and wide receivers. So for Ericson and myself right now, we are out of here. Stay locked in. We're gonna bring you home for the NFL Draft all the time on Fantasy.
Speaker 4: Pro Thanks for listening to the Fantasy Pros Dynasty Football podcast. If you love the show, the best freeway to support us is by leaving a positive review on Apple Podcasts or Spotify. Follow us on x, Instagram, and TikTok at Fantasy Pros, and subscribe to our YouTube channel at YouTube dot com slash Fantasy Pros