Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is mick Shots, streaming live on dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys have now Here are Bill Jones, Savannah Humoller, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 3: And finally, finally we got rid of the other guys. This is Mickshots. This is Bill Jones along with Savannah Humoler as Everson is out today and who knows where Micky, Oh, Mickey, Mickey showed up. Wow, Mickey finally showed up for the show. How much of a fine Savannah do you think that should be?
Speaker 4: I don't know, But Bill, I thought we were gonna have to carry it on the rest of the day.
Speaker 3: No, it wasn't that we were gonna have to carry it on. It was that we get to carry it on.
Speaker 5: To the day.
Speaker 6: There's practice going on.
Speaker 3: Did you notice there is practice going on? I did notice, and he was peering out anything out there. Well, I noticed that you were watching practice. That's right along with Brad Sham and Brad had one last question, one last question, and I answered this question, unlike Mike McCarthy, what was the question, did you hear the press conference?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Did you hear Brad's question?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Tell the rest of the class.
Speaker 8: So Brad asked Mike McCarthy, so are you get are you getting Tyler Smith? And he snaps in practice at left tackle and.
Speaker 6: He kind of mumbled something that was inaudible.
Speaker 8: But it was I don't need to answer that.
Speaker 7: How would parcels answer it?
Speaker 6: It's none of your business. Qut nosing around in my bill.
Speaker 7: Let me just give you the scouting report.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, And I think that's what Mike said.
Speaker 8: Yeah, like I don't need to provide a scouting report.
Speaker 7: All right.
Speaker 3: I saw you and Brad alongside each other looking at practice. Were you talking about the Cowboys or Missouri football? Because you've got a huge game this week against Vanderbilt.
Speaker 6: Eleven and a half point favorites.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, I don't like to hear that. And it's on the road, I think, Oh no.
Speaker 6: In the world.
Speaker 7: Did you go to Nashville and win?
Speaker 6: Oh my?
Speaker 8: But we were also talking about the Cowboys, okay, on their recent acquisition.
Speaker 3: And last time the Cowboys were in eleven and a half or twelve and a half point favorite. Oh.
Speaker 6: I don't know it was.
Speaker 7: It was Sunday.
Speaker 6: I thought it was nine.
Speaker 3: No, all right, they surprised a lot of people, they did.
Speaker 7: That's right.
Speaker 6: Either some people want a lot of money or lost a lot.
Speaker 3: By the way, I think I saw either the NFL or Fox put out a tweet or post or whatever you call it these days about the Kansas City game against Chicago being like the most watched three twenty five or four to twenty five Eastern Time game in the history.
Speaker 7: Of football or whatever it was.
Speaker 6: Oh, it was yeah this week.
Speaker 7: Yeah, last on Sunday.
Speaker 3: Sunday's game the cheap because Fox had the Cowboys Cardinals, which went to a portion of the country, but the most of the country got Kansas City and Chicago.
Speaker 8: Because they were hoping that to get a shot at Taylor Swift.
Speaker 3: And so so then the post comes out that it was the most watched game in the history of.
Speaker 7: Football or whatever.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 4: Not only that yesterday, there was also another post that Travis Kelsey Jerseys went up by four hundred percent in sales.
Speaker 3: Okay, but let me burst the bubble on the TV ratings and how Taylor Swift increased the TV ratings so much so that it was the greatest game television wise ever. Well, it was thirty four to nothing at halftime, and they switched to the Cowboys Cardinals game only the Chicago and Kansas City markets in the second half. We're getting the forty one to seven blowout win. So it was America's team. It was the Cowboys, but everyone talks about it.
Speaker 6: It was Kansas City that was part of the rating in that slot, right.
Speaker 7: So they switched.
Speaker 3: It was in that same time slot, and nobody would have been watching the game unless they just showed shots of Taylor Swift and.
Speaker 4: The that's funny in the suite, right.
Speaker 3: But so in all Oh, the Chiefs, the new America's team, No, the old America's team is the reason that rating wits through the roof.
Speaker 8: So anyway, you got to give Belichick some credit for what he had to say when they asked him about He said something to the effect that Travis Kelsey has had many big catches in his.
Speaker 3: Career, but this might be the biggest one.
Speaker 4: That was good.
Speaker 6: That was good.
Speaker 8: So anyway, so all right, so Billy Price, the Cowboys signed a veteran center to the practice squad and a guy.
Speaker 6: That has played a lot in the league.
Speaker 8: He's going on twenty nine years old. And when I saw him yesterday six four three oh eight. So he's big, bigger than that Harlow guy.
Speaker 7: That you had it two hundred seventy three pounds or.
Speaker 6: Something eighty five I think whatever they listened.
Speaker 7: Which is what he was when he was a junior.
Speaker 8: And do you think the Cowboys put in their roster just said, Okay, let's let's do that with a former weight. Let's so Billy Price. Did Harlow get any bigger? So six puts some pounds in there?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 7: All right? So what do you make of that we were looking? What do we read into that?
Speaker 8: They were looking for somebody with a little bit more experience and if Tyler Biattish isn't healthy, then they do need a backup center.
Speaker 6: And this guy has.
Speaker 8: Started forty five of sixty nine games he's played in the league, three thousand snaps uh and last year, by the way, with Arizona, he started eleven of eleven games played. And in twenty twenty one, after three years with Cincinnati, he was with the Giants and.
Speaker 6: Started fifteen of sixteen games.
Speaker 8: So that kind of beats anything the Cowboys have from an experience standpoint.
Speaker 3: Also gives the Cowboys four first round draft picks right the exactly offensive line room twenty first pick overall in twenty eighteen. It's been around the block a little bit in these five years. Cincinnati for the first three seasons, the Giants in twenty one, practice squad with the Raiders in twenty two, then with Arizona as you mentioned, and practice squad this year with the Saints and Remington trophy winner out of the Ohio state universe.
Speaker 8: That means they've got two trophy winners. So anyway, that was one of the moves they made, and Brad I was filling in Brad on the guys a little bit of his bio. So Cincinnati didn't pick up his fourth his they didn't claim his option year, I guess, and then he became a free agent and the Giants picked him up, and then Arizona actually he was traded to the Giants by the way from Cincinnati. So anyway, that you know, we didn't get any clarification on the injuries just yet. It said basically that Tyron Smith, Tyler Biattis, and Zach Martin would be with the rehab group today and so we'll see where that one goes.
Speaker 3: So my question also on Billy Price, and I have to do the research myself on it, is does he also Now usually those interior offensive linemen have some position flex right where they can play center or guard, and so the question I would have are they adding because there are no tackles out there to add to a roster to speak of. You get a veteran, former first round draft pick who depth to your interior where you also have a starting left guard who's a former first round draft pick who started the most every game last year at left tackle, and it gives you the option to kicking him out to left tackle if you need him at left tackle if Tyron.
Speaker 6: Can't go right. And you also have the.
Speaker 8: I guess ability if you get one of those guys back, like if Zach's ready to go, then you've got TJ. Bass that could play He and Richards and Chuma could play left guard if needed, if you had to move Tyler Smith to left tackle. So there's some line moves and they're just kind of fortifying what you know their options are and they need options.
Speaker 6: So anyway, so.
Speaker 8: That's kind of the status of this this offensive line going forward. We'll probably no more tomorrow when they actually practice in pads.
Speaker 3: But they clearly felt like they needed to fortify the.
Speaker 7: Position on the offensive line.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and I don't think they liked the idea of Harlow being the backup guy, even though he was on.
Speaker 6: The practice squad.
Speaker 8: And I guess they would have had an opening on the practice squad because they sign Goodwin to the fifty three on Saturday, so they had an open spot his spot on the practice squad.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, Savannah's going through your text messages and the mine the podcast text line eight one seven two nine zero three to two, nine to eight. And I don't know if you noticed, Mickey, but Savannah is the talk of social media and people want to know more about Savannah Humoler Oh today her interviewer, and I've gone through the course and we we did talk about Savannah when she first arrived here last week. Whatever, But Savannah, the floor is yours to give us your your thoughts on where the Cowboys are as we enter this week against a New England Patriots team that has a Ezekiel Elliott coming here. Jerry was on the radio talking about Zeke's homecoming.
Speaker 6: Was he on the radio or the app.
Speaker 3: He was, well, he was talking about I saw the post about it.
Speaker 7: Yes, so I didn't hear it.
Speaker 3: I did wherever it was okay, talking about Zeke's homecoming and that okay. He was asked, will there be some sort of tribute to Zeke, ceremony whatever, and he doesn't want to let the cat out of the bay, don't want to spoil the surprise. And I'm like, speaking of Parcels, I'm like, what would what would Parcels say if you're talking about the return of a former player and paying tribute. What is a homecoming court? We're gonna have a homecoming court, gonna crowning the homecoming king.
Speaker 6: Anyway, dress up for the game.
Speaker 4: Honestly, we should just be glad that they don't have the Salvation Army buckets out at the stadium.
Speaker 3: Kettle on the Patriots. Good thing, he's coming on October first and not on Thanksgiving.
Speaker 8: Nay, exactly, You're an opponent would have the nerve to jump in one of those that would maybe Zeke would do it with a smile.
Speaker 7: In a space.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, But anyway, what do you think things are with this team coming off that loss?
Speaker 4: I'm more concerned about the defense right now and them getting on the same page. So obviously Cowboys the pass rush. They're going to face Mac Jones and right now, he is a total of six sacks on him so far this season, he's ranked eighth in the NFL and passing yards, four touchdowns, two interceptions. So I think our defense really needs to get on the same page because they are going up against Mac Jones and I believe he's going to make some throws this Sunday.
Speaker 3: What concerns you about the Cowboys defense right now coming off that game against Arizona.
Speaker 8: Uh, They're gonna have to show me that the run defense in this last game was an anomaly, that it was just one of those things and it's not like, Okay, here we go again against a running game, and you know they're gonna want to run the football, right and you know this last game, you know Zeke Zeke actually got sixteen carries for eighty yards, five yards of carry and touch four first downs. By the way, he also had has six catches this year for twenty one yards, so he's touching the football and I would imagine they'll understand how motivated he is for this game. So they're going to see a little of that, and they're also going to see if these Cowboys can set the edges on the run game on that defensive line much better than they just ignored in the game against Arizona.
Speaker 3: You know Ramandre Stevenson, he had nineteen carries for fifty nine yards against the Jets. By the way, that game was played in the rain, yes on Sunday, and Stevenson's yards per carry is way down compared to the average in the league. Right now, well, do you know what I figured out in compared to what he did last year? He averaged five yards of carry last year at a thousand yard season.
Speaker 8: Which, by the way, the Cowboys, after that deplorable performance against the run against Arizona, are now ranked twenty fifth against the run in the NFL, and thirty four percent of the three hundred and ninety four yards they've given up rushing belonged to quarterbacks. By the way, quarterbacks have gone twenty four for one thirty four against the Cowboys.
Speaker 6: Now I'm thinking Mac Jones.
Speaker 7: Minus forty four. That gets you down to the right.
Speaker 6: Well, no, and then minus what was oh no, that was a I'm just taking one playout yeah, that was a pass play.
Speaker 8: I was thinking the sixty eight yarder against the Jets.
Speaker 3: See, I think on the whole run game, and we talked about it the last couple of days. It's the aggressive mentality, right, trying to create habit, create turnovers. And I think it's just basically you don't have to take away from that, just you have to be fundamentally.
Speaker 7: Sound, gap integrity and be able to.
Speaker 3: There's some responsibility that comes on the way to sacking the quarterback.
Speaker 6: Right, you know.
Speaker 3: And the other thing is sacks usually occur when you are ahead of a game, not when you are even or behind in a game especially, And so the Cardinals I think they were just very prudent in the way that I mean, they knew exactly what the Cowboys are prone to do, pinning their ears back coming after the quarterback, and they took advantage of that in that game. And I think they set the Cowboys up perfectly with the first two plays of the game because they everybody's like, Okay, they're going to run the ball.
Speaker 6: They're going to run the ball.
Speaker 8: Well, the first play of the game, they threw the ball right, and then you're thinking, okay, but now they're going to get James Connor get going in this game, and they fake the handoff to him and Dobbs keeps the ball and Micah Parsons is tackling a ghost because he didn't have the ball, and there goes for forty four yards. So I think they set up the Cowboys quite well in that early possession.
Speaker 6: But the one that just hurt and hurt and hurt was.
Speaker 8: Allowing Rondell Moore to go forty five yards for a touchdown without being touched.
Speaker 6: He didn't even have to make a move. And that one, there's no excuse for whatsoever.
Speaker 3: All Right, we're just getting started on this edition of mix Shots. We will take your text and with Mickey's permission, we'll take a phone call or two at eight eight eight eight five five two two nine seven. But we aren't sure if Mickey is granting permission yet. We'll let you know and we come back here on mix Shots.
Speaker 6: I'll think about it.
Speaker 9: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they.
Speaker 7: Snapped the press down. Who looks right, it's not there.
Speaker 6: He escaped left.
Speaker 9: He'll look for a first down, just like football when it comes to crypto it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 3: Prescot's gonna rub this ship show, run it up the middle Andy Scores.
Speaker 9: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, they've got you covered. What are you waiting for? Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 2: You know that sound anywhere. It's the crisp crunch, that first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection. That's what we're looking for. Add a delicious, refreshing pepsi, and we've achieved absolute nacho nirvana. Because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory topping, there's no topping of cool pepsi. Finish nachos better with pepsi.
Speaker 10: That's what I like. The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor. Museum will be a place to presus, serve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 5: Cowboys Football and Miller Lite. What a pairing can cracks a kickoff tailgates going waypast postgame Sunday night overtimes, followed by Monday Morning Swagger, Brisky and the Smoker. Miller Lite and the Creek, America's team playing America's Greatest school. Miller Lite the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football taste like Miller Time, Celebrate Responsibly twenty twenty three Miller Brown Company, fort Worth, Texas, Demitt.
Speaker 4: Shuts Kpost Roofing and Waterproofing, the official roofer of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: All Right, Patriots Week is officially underw way here at the Star in Frisco inside the SWBC podcast studio, Bill Jones, along with Savannah Humoler and Mickey Spagnola Everson on assignment throughout the week, apparently.
Speaker 6: And I think he goes to New Mexico.
Speaker 8: Okay, it's kind of you know, all that secret stuff that happens in New Mexico.
Speaker 3: We'll I have to ask you what it comes back here. Okay, let's talk, let's go. You got a text let's let's talk. Let's get get this podcast text line going here and get some involvement here from some of the listeners.
Speaker 4: And we're going with running backs here.
Speaker 7: It works, It works.
Speaker 4: This isn't necessarily a statement. We have someone asking if you know the Cowboys should bring in a bigger, more physical running back. But Tony Pollard he is just doing great for us right now. If everyone is following. He leads the NFL with sixty four carries and has seventy four touches and through his first three games of the season since Zeke, who was coming back on Sunday, a bigger back, had seventy six touches in his first three contests of his rookie season in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 3: Well, how about that, Yeah, that is a timely question a bigger, more physical back.
Speaker 7: Is that the way it was phrased.
Speaker 3: I like what we're seeing out of rico'dowell so far and in that game against Arizona, caught the touchdown, he created the touchdown, caught the ball, and I like the power that he's running with the play that he made and the second half an incredible run after you catch. But I like what we're seeing out of Rico Dowell. And by the way, Daryl Johnston on the television broadcast more importantly said that he likes these backs the Cowboys have, and.
Speaker 8: We saw in short yardage situation what Hunter Lipke was able to do.
Speaker 3: So But before I'll let you go, Mickey, but having said that, I was a proponent of bringing Zeke back, I was at the right cost, and what he's signed with the Patriots that was I thought the right cost. But the Cowboys had to make that decision earlier. And I do not have a problem with the Cowboys going the route they went, and I think they are just as well off with what I've seen from Doubtell so far. And I love the Douce Vaughn edition as well. And as you mentioned Lipke, I think they're fine in the running back room.
Speaker 7: Now going forward, we're going to see, because.
Speaker 3: Pollard is in his contract years on the franchise tag right now, we'll see what happens.
Speaker 7: But Zeke wasn't going a factor into that down the road.
Speaker 8: No, And so here's the deal. The first game of the season, they had no problems in the red zone or in goal to go situations, and all they had missing on the offensive line at that point was Tyler Smith. Right, they had four of their five starters in the game, and they attacked in two different ways, and I thought it was a really good way to compensate for not having Zeke there inside the five yard line. First of all, Tony Pollard ran right up the middle and scored a touchdown. The second time they had an opportunity, he used his speed.
Speaker 6: To the outside to score a touchdown.
Speaker 8: And on a third opportunity, they had Cavante Turpin lined up as a running back from nine yards out and he sped to the corner outside and scored a touchdown. So they sort of compensated for not having a big brue are in there with their speed. In the second game, there's extenuating circumstances with the lead that they had and basically saying let's just be careful here, let's not do anything silly, and that's not show the next opponent what we have and so they ended up kicking the field goals.
Speaker 6: In that game.
Speaker 8: And didn't do as well inside the scoring touchdowns inside the twenty yard line, going two for six. And in the third game, I just think they compensated for having three backups on the offensive line and they tried, and they had two opportunities to score that could have been touchdowns throwing the ball to Brandon Cooks ended up landing out of bounds and then the interference on Michael Gallup where they should have had the ball at the one yard line and somebody, I don't know what his explanation was to pick up the flag, but they listened to them and there would have been two touchdowns right there. So the weird thing is the Cowboys have had the most possessions inside the twenty yard line. They lead the league with fifteen, so they're getting there. They just haven't punched it in with the going three for eleven on touchdowns in these last two games. So I think we find out more this game if number one, indeed they have their offensive line back out there, and number two that they have a game plan suited for these backups that they can practice all week and not at the last minute, they have to decide, oh, guess what we don't have Tyron Smith. We got to compensate here because we can't do this, can't do that. I just think they need to use their speed when they get close to the goal line.
Speaker 7: I think it's.
Speaker 3: Teams, fans, media, we go through this every year, this early in the season. It's too small a sample size right to know what they actually have. In fact, there's a I'm pretty sure Nate and Frisco believes in this. The September football games, it's like these are preseason games. They really I've heard that there are preseason games that count on your regular season schedule because we're not playing starters in August in pre real preseason games. These have become like preseason games, and you really don't know what you have on the offensive line. And it's the way game, the flow of games.
Speaker 7: We don't know what.
Speaker 3: The Cowboys got up on the Giant sixteen to nothing the first ten minutes of that game in the season opener. They get up on the Jets and so they didn't have.
Speaker 7: To do anything.
Speaker 3: They were fine with kicking field goals against the Jets. The only third way the Jets are gonna win that game is if you take a risk and turn the ball over. Now you get to the Cardinals game and you're playing with three backup offensive linemen, and these aren't excuses, it's just the reality. We don't know. It's a long season. Let's see as we go along the improvements that they make.
Speaker 8: So what I always like to say, do not make season long conclusions after every game. Just like we sort of warned after a two to zero start, seventy to ten, Okay, this defense is pretty good, but let's not call them doomsday just yet, right and now after this loss, let's not.
Speaker 6: Overreact to one game.
Speaker 8: Let's let it play out and see if they have trouble in the red zone this week again, then maybe they've got something that they got to think about. You know, I keep the other thing I keep hearing as well, they're not getting.
Speaker 6: The ball down the field.
Speaker 8: Well, okay, it's raining cats and dogs against the Giants, and they jumped out to a big lead, so there was no need to do that. In the second game, once again, they got out to a lead and the Jets were playing this nice cover two. Then they were saying everything underneath, and that's exactly what Arizona did, and I think people forget that. If I got this right, the first possession of the Arizona game, the Cowboys had two penalties on offense.
Speaker 6: They had all start, a false start.
Speaker 8: Delay a game, and then the third possession they had in the game, I believe there was two more penalties.
Speaker 6: If I'm right, they had Oh where's it at?
Speaker 7: I hold on?
Speaker 6: And then another false style.
Speaker 8: So again, if you're not protecting your quarterback very well, and you got this idea they got to get the ball out, then you're probably not getting the ball deep. And so you know, I understand the wide receivers don't have a touchdown yet, and that's somewhat concerting. But again, the first two games, those things were also in play and no one complained about them because they won seventy to ten.
Speaker 6: So let's just let this play out.
Speaker 3: Man Cooks didn't play the second time, Yeah, right exactly.
Speaker 8: That might have had something to do with not stretching the field. So let's just let this play out and see and not totally overreact.
Speaker 3: Okay, I like that, all right. When we come back, we turn our attention more so to the Patriots. When mixed shots continues.
Speaker 7: In a moment.
Speaker 10: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 5: Cowboys Football and Miller Lite. What a pairing can cracks a kickoff, Tailgate's going Waypass postgame Sunday night overtimes followed by Monday Morning Swag Brisky and the Smoker, Miller Lte and the two America's team playing America's Greatest spool Miller Lyte Leapier of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football tastes like Miller Time, Celebrate Responsibly twenty twenty three Miliberum Company, Fort Orth, Texas.
Speaker 9: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 6: They snapped the fresh guy who looks right, It's not there. He escaped flapped, he'll look full a fresh style.
Speaker 9: Just like football. When it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 3: Prescot's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 9: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, they've got you covered. What are you waiting for? Get started at blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 2: You know that sound anywhere. It's the crisp crunch, that first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection. That's what we're looking for at a delicious, refreshing pepsi, and we've achieved absolute nacho nirvana because while you can pile those nachos high with it every spicy, cheesy, savory topping, there's no topping of cool, pepsy finish.
Speaker 7: Nachos better with pepsi.
Speaker 3: That's what I like.
Speaker 6: Mixed shots.
Speaker 4: Check out the latest and greatest addition to tours at AT and T Stadium and at the Star in Frisco, meet Jerry Jones an interactive experience, get a peek behind the curtain and into the fascinating life of Jerry Jones. With a focus on innovative fan experience. In partnership with AT and T, this interactive technology gives tour goers the opportunity to ask mister Jones a variety of questions. For more information into book your tour, visit dallascowboys dot com slash tours. Nate in Frisco, Bill, you are correct, give this thing some time. We're still in the preseason.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there you go in Frisco, said Nate.
Speaker 7: Next door, Nate and Frisco is who that is?
Speaker 6: That mean Nate and Frisco.
Speaker 7: Right, Yeah, that's great.
Speaker 3: I've been taught well by Nate and Frisco. We all have, right, that's exactly right.
Speaker 7: I love that.
Speaker 3: Keep them coming, Nate in Frisco. All right, this New England Patriots team. And there will be a lot of talk about Zeke Zeke talking today?
Speaker 7: Is that right?
Speaker 6: I think yes, he is.
Speaker 7: Yes.
Speaker 6: Later today conference call at four o'clock our.
Speaker 3: Time, a conference call with the Dallas media later today.
Speaker 6: Nice of new England to set that up.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that is good. That is good.
Speaker 3: It's a Patriots team that started the season against Philadelphia and fell behind sixteen to nothing in the first quarter of that game. Rallied to make it close and lost.
Speaker 7: Twenty five to twenty. That was at home.
Speaker 3: In week one and week two they host Miami and in both these games, Philadelphia and Miami, they had the football basically in scoring position or getting close to scoring position in the case of the Philadelphia game, and weren't able to come up with a big play to put them over the top. They lost to Miami twenty four to seventeen. And why did Miami do The next week? They scored seventy points on the Broncos.
Speaker 6: With almost eight hundred yards off.
Speaker 7: There you go.
Speaker 3: And then last week playing at the Jets, they win fifteen to ten in the rain to make them one and two.
Speaker 8: So they played two five point games in a seven point name.
Speaker 3: Right in the first two games. The two losses are against two of the three unbeaten teams in the league. So are you going to take this team lightly?
Speaker 8: I don't think so, especially after my last performance. Yeah, not whatsoever.
Speaker 3: And they do you think they took the Cardinals lightly.
Speaker 7: No, I don't either.
Speaker 6: I think they got beat that's you know.
Speaker 8: People kept saying that, and I said, do not give them a soft pill to lay their heads on.
Speaker 6: You know, with an excuse that they took it for grant.
Speaker 8: They didn't know, they aren't They did not play assignments sign And.
Speaker 3: I don't think they were full of themselves. I don't think they were over confident or any of that. If anything, it was they were trying to do what they thought has been made them successful. The difference is those things that make you successful when you're sacking the quarterback with a lead in a game. It doesn't work when you're behind in the game or even in a game. And I think they were just too aggressive they So anyway, Patriots are going to have their attention this week. We're going to find out a whole lot more about this Cowboys team this week against New England than we found out last week against him.
Speaker 8: And I think what everybody forgets is the Cowboys had lost six of the last.
Speaker 6: Seven games to the Cardinals.
Speaker 3: Think about the Cardinals are just a juggernaut.
Speaker 8: Well two, but it's always something weird. Two of those losses were in overtime Zona, right, they only beat him. The one time they beat him was in early in twenty seventeen. They only beat him by three points too.
Speaker 4: By the way, James in Midland wants to know what is coach McCarthy's record against Bill Belichick, and I all look up this answer.
Speaker 7: Oh good, let's go for it.
Speaker 6: That's a good one.
Speaker 8: You know, I guess he's playing Bill Belichick the arm wrestle or something.
Speaker 7: Like parcels.
Speaker 6: But you know, I'm sure you know. Here's what I keep saying it.
Speaker 8: What what stands out to me about the Patriots is their defense. They're ranked number five overall ninth against the runs, so they really haven't given up much in the in the running game, and in the passing game they're they're also ranked fifth, so their defense is.
Speaker 6: Played pretty well so far.
Speaker 8: The Cowboys defense has to match what the Patriots do defensively.
Speaker 3: And by the way, the Patriots last year second in the league in takeaways on defense they always and I think the year before they were up there too. Of course, the Cowboys led the league in takeaways each of the last two years. And when you look at the Patriots defense, the only guy really that they lost from off last year's team. Who was a significant player for them was Devin mccordy, who retired. They brought basically everybody back on defense, and they added draft picks as well. Christian Gonzalez from right here in the Metroplex out of Oregon is playing very well. Had an interception in the game against Miami, and he's been matching up against the top receivers for the other teams as well.
Speaker 7: Very athletic guy.
Speaker 3: He was their seventeenth overall pick, number a first round draft pick. Second round draft pick key On White is playing a lot for him as well, and he's a defensive lineman. And so the defense is they're calling.
Speaker 8: Card special teams two, right, don't they have a they have a kick block return for a touchdown?
Speaker 3: Well, you're asking me questions. I haven't researched yet.
Speaker 6: I thought, I want to say, I thought I heard that.
Speaker 3: Well, i'll have it for you tomorrow, Mickey, all right, thank.
Speaker 4: You, okay. Coach McCarthy is two and three against the Patriots.
Speaker 8: Brilliant, yes, so, which means he's two and three against some gibelling tom right, so.
Speaker 4: True.
Speaker 3: And he had some guy named Aaron or if it was prior to that some guy.
Speaker 7: Named Brett Bratt.
Speaker 3: Correct, I don't know when the games were played. Yeah, that can be overrated. Yeah, but I mean you know that. The other thing with the Patriots is with Bill O'Brien's the offensive coordinator. One of the issues they had last year is they were doing it by committee as far as their offensive coordinator goes, and so they hire One of the key things was them hiring Bill O'Brien as their offensive coordinator this year. And if you'll listen to sports talk radio in Boston, they're wondering what's his offensive coordinator doing with this team right now because they're not happy with the results. But again, small sample size and we'll see where they are. They and of course they're getting ripped in Boston because of letting Jacoby Myers go and Juju Smith Schuster has not done anything yet for them, who they're one of their big free agent acquisitions on offense.
Speaker 8: And they're probably getting ripped even more after O'Brien pointed out that they weren't interrogating Will Greer or Ezekiel Elliott about the Cowboys offense.
Speaker 7: Why aren't you.
Speaker 8: Put him in a dark room right light on him. Yeah, O'Brien said, no, we're not doing that. It's like we can scout and see what's going on. Now they'll change. You know they talk about hand signals, Well, the hand signals are on the line of scrimmage, right, those can't.
Speaker 6: Be that difficult to change. The plays come in over the headset.
Speaker 8: It's not like there's some espionage going on.
Speaker 3: But the Patriots are not going to get things going smoothly until they get their quarterback going smoothly. Rack Jones it was two years ago fifteenth overall pick and last year he if heed sixty five percent of his passes for nearly three thousand yards, went six and eight in his fourteen starts, had eleven interceptions and fourteen touchdown passes, and was sacked thirty four times. Look at him this year through three games, two interceptions, five touchdown passes, He's been sacked six times. He has run the ball a little bit, which he doesn't seem like the type that would run the ball. He's running for his life. I would imagine with the eleven carries for fifty three yards five yards of carrying, So that is one thing you would think if you're going to compare what the Patriots do on offense to what the Cardinals did on offense. You don't have the running threat or what the Giants do on offense. You don't have a running threat with Mac Jones a quarterback.
Speaker 8: Right right, and so that's one less thing they should have to worry about.
Speaker 3: But so you can pin your ears back and go after the quarterback then, right, Do not do that.
Speaker 8: Do not make that mistake again, because I'm sure they all have something up there.
Speaker 6: Leave to attack you.
Speaker 3: By the way, there's something I want to get to which we didn't get to yesterday after dan Quinn. I don't think we got to it yesterday after dan Quinn talked Monday on Monday, and it was about Trayvon Diggs and I thought he was very good talking about Trayvon, and Okay, just we don't have access to talking with the coaches or early in the players after Thursday to speak of, and so it was after the game before the players finally were able to media was able to talk to players about the Trayvon injury. And then on Monday we had an opportunity with the coordinators and dan Quinn was talking about Trayvon and just the devastation of that injury on Thursday, and you know he was getting texts from friends saying, okay, next man up. Well no, there's no such thing as next man up when it comes to a player like that, and you see the human emotion, the devastation of Okay, you work so hard for this opportunity and everything is falling into place for a great season, and in one false step, it's taken away from you, and there's no Yeah, it's it's right, everyone says, you know, it's next man up. Well, no, there's no next man up when you're replacing a two time Pro Bowl cornerback like that, who is and he's been paid like it, probably the second best player on your.
Speaker 8: Defense and had gotten off to a really good start if you look at you know already he had to force fumbles, an interception, he had a bunch of passes deflected.
Speaker 6: Let's see where is his line here?
Speaker 8: He had six tackles, the force, the force fumble and then really a forced interception two if you because they didn't give that a fumble, and he had three passes defense and was just playing really, really well. And for that to happen, you know, you're just kind of heartbroken for the guy, and we all, you know, fans and everything look at it as well, Okay, how does this hurt the team? Well, it hurts him most, probably even more so. We forget about the personal aspect to it, and we all get this question of how do they how do they compensate for him? Well, Dan Quinn pointed out one of the three guys that played the best in that game against Arizona was Deron Bland, and if you think about it, he had he had the interference, but after that.
Speaker 6: You didn't see him much at all. On that side.
Speaker 8: They actually attacked Stefan Gilmore more than they Somebody said.
Speaker 6: Why didn't you move Gilmore over there? Well, the problem wasn't over there.
Speaker 3: Well. And then the other thing, when we're talking about the aggressive nature of this defense, when you lose a player like that, I don't, in contrast to the complacency allegations, right, you're actually trying. You can you can be prone to trying to do too much to offset the loss of that place exactly. So they may have been the victim of that more so than anything else. Is you know, a couple of days before the game, you lose the guy that's leads the way as far as takeaways on this team, and now everybody feels like they got to do more than what they normally do. And you and you lose sight of the fundamental defense that you have to play to begin with.
Speaker 4: You're making up for the loss.
Speaker 8: And that's and that's another thing that they had to compensate because they knew for well, they probably knew on Thursday that he was done, but for sure it got confirmed after the MRI Friday to you don't practice Saturday. It's a lighter practice and you didn't have that much time to us everything that. Okay, Deron Bland, you're moving from the slot to corner, Jordan Lewis, you're moving from the bench to the slot, and you have to make a lot of changes. And I'm not giving them excuses, it's just you know, fact of how this thing played out last week. So now this week, at least they've got a full week of practice with Deron Bland at right corner, Jordan Lewis in the middle in the slot.
Speaker 3: So as long as they get through practice, yeah.
Speaker 6: Right, golly, how many guys can you get hurt in practice?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 4: Huh, let's hope not any this week.
Speaker 3: All right, very good, all right, that does it for this edition of a Mixed Shots. Make it a great Wednesday, and we will see you again tomorrow at high noon on mix.
Speaker 6: Shots, Oh Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club
Speaker 8: M