Speaker 1: You're listening to The Buck Sexton Show podcast, make sure you subscribe to the podcast on the iHeartRadio app or wherever you get your podcasts. Hey, everybody, Welcome to the Buck Brief. On this episode, we have Katalina Love with us. She is the founder of the Defense of Freedom PAC formerly ran for Congress in a tough race, and we appreciate her being here. She just got back from the UK. She may be a little jet lagged, so we can talk about some UK stuff too. I just got back from Scotland last summer. I love it up there. But they are communists. I don't know what happened to them, but they're politics great people, beautiful country. Terrible politics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think they're just too close to Russia and all of the mess over there.
Speaker 3: No, they've unfortunately, they've been sucked.
Speaker 2: In by the globalst un type of mentality where they want to be part of Europe, but yet some of them want to be independent and I'll remain pretty Western, especially when it comes to the economic system. But they were just being, you know, unfortunately manipulated a lot.
Speaker 3: Their media is.
Speaker 2: And so if we think ours is corrupted out here when it comes to just liberal mainstream media. Mayhem over there is just beyond horrible. Their government run news is entirely.
Speaker 1: Did you ever did you ever see that exchange from with the BBC presenter and Jordan Peterson where she keeps saying, well, well in other words, in other words, and he's like, no, no, not in other words. You know, they're kind of going back and forth, but she keeps saying in other words to change what he says to be something she can attack, and she does it over and over and over again. I just thought it was amazing that someone could be paid to do something as straightforward as interview people on TV and be as bad at it as the BBC. I can't even remember her name, but she was pretty horrible. I did want to ask you actual it's funny you just came back with the UK about the royal family. First of all, do you watch the Crown?
Speaker 3: I thought some of it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, some of it, that's it, only some of it? Okay, wife and I are watching this thing now all the time. How much have we talked? You've seen like two episodes? What are we talking about?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: I saw the first couple of seasons and I'll tell you why.
Speaker 2: And then I want to hear your perspective, but I, as a British history lover, I believe that sometimes you know, if it wasn't it's not the Tutors. The Crown seemed a little too slow for me. There wasn't enough you know, scandal like the Tutor Court.
Speaker 3: And I don't know how historically accurate it is. So that was my qualms with it, why I didn't watch the whole thing. But what were you going to say?
Speaker 1: I mean, it was I think it's pretty on the broad strokes. The historical accuracy is there, here's what's going on. So, as you know, I do a radio show with my man, Clay Travis, you know, like five hundred stations, no big deal, and we argue about this. We argue about sometimes because he thinks that the British royal family is fascinating and classy, and I think that monarchy is at best quaint anachronism and really more kind of bizarre and something that people need to just like let go of. Now. I'm not going to tell people in Great Britain that they should stop with this bizarre obsession about you know, that's their own thing. But for Americans, I don't understand this at all, Like I'll watch The Crown because it's entertainment, and I think the royal family is for entertainment purposes. Okay, I guess kind of like the Kardashians in this country, you know, or reality TV to some degree. I don't understand why anyone has, as an American any affinity for them. Clay is a big Queen Elizabeth fan. That's how this comes up. I'm like, why what does she do? You know, she shows up and does this sort of little hand wave thing that they do.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 3: Well, you know that.
Speaker 2: They account for billions of dollars of the UK economy, so I think they have a financial reason to keep them around.
Speaker 1: But what do you mean billions? Like how so what billions of dollars? How by selling TV rights or something.
Speaker 2: Yes, the amount they I believe are the number one.
Speaker 3: Like they completely sustain most of.
Speaker 2: The economy when it comes to tourism because Americans are so obsessed with English history as a whole. You go to the UK and you've been all of these castles anywhere that you go, they're all A lot of them are either owned by the family or they're they're pretty much maintained by a national trust, especially parks and things like that, and so I mean they just attract visitors from everywhere because I mean it's cool even where you know, I was spending some time there and you have you know, a Roman wall from you know, nine hundred years ago. No, that's yeah, well that's a lot north. But there are a lot of different like ruin areas.
Speaker 4: And.
Speaker 3: It's I mean, it's so interesting. I mean, there is. It is an interesting thing. They've gone through so much.
Speaker 2: Think about a country that was completely attacked for centuries and they've somehow maintained and were at some point the greatest empire in the world until you know, we came along and destroyed them in seventeen seventy six.
Speaker 3: But there is a lot of history there.
Speaker 2: So I understand why Americans are so enthralled with not only the history, but then the magic.
Speaker 4: Of the You're one of them.
Speaker 1: You buy into this whole royal family, this this whole fable of I mean, it's a mean look at some of the royals. You go back the last I don't know, the last one hundred years or so. You had the abdication king, right, the guy who stepped down who was the brother of the guy who was stuttering, and then we had the whole movie about how he overcame his stutter. I had a speech impedant as a child, So I'm sort of like, yeah, a lot of us overcome stutters. I don't know, it doesn't mean that you're like a global hero, but anyway, so we have we have that guy who we find out is actually a Nazi, not the stutterer, but the guy who abdicated. He's a Nazi sympathizer who wanted the Nazis to put him in charge if they were able to super piece with the British. And then you have Prince Andrew, who we know not good, not good, what's going on there he's in And then there are a lot of people that's I don't even follow the Charles and Diana stuff. I mean, he didn't do anything like criminal or awful or he's not a trader from what I understand, But I don't know. I just feel like these people are are to your point, yeah, Buckingham Palace, keep it as a museum, sure, but do we need people walking around as museum pieces with everyone acting like we should listen to what they have to say like, I don't care what any of these under educated trust fund babies have to say about anything in the British Royal family. And I give you Megan Markle as my final, my final addition to this.
Speaker 3: You know, she ruined that, she ruined the royal family.
Speaker 2: For me, I will say, loved the Tutor era, loved you know, Queen Elizabeth. I first, I think there's a lot to learn from all of their faults in a lot of ways, but there was also again history, I mean when you look at something like the Tutor dynasty, I mean they changed history.
Speaker 3: Henry the eighth broke.
Speaker 2: Off from the Catholic Church, divorced his wife, and that's arguably what created, you know, a sector of Christianity to that eventually came to our country.
Speaker 3: So there's a lot I think. I think I do agree with.
Speaker 1: I chopped off some of his wife's heads. You know, we have a church founded on the family values. As Hitchins used to say of Henry the Eighth, it's probably not a good thing, you know. That's that's pretty intense. Like I've seen some arguments, and I've seen some rough divorces from Afar, but but sending your wife to the guillotine is or you know, to the headsman's acts. That's I mean, it's history. You're right, it's fascinating as history, don't get me wrong. But I don't know if like the Church of England is something that is uh, it's really more of a social club. Now, let's be honest, like the Anglican Church. It's my dad is an Anglican. So I can say this. It's like, give me a break the whole thing, you know, just be Catholics and give it and give it a rest. So all right, so we don't agree on the British royal family. That's one thing I'm gonna need you to explain then to me, because you are you are barely a millennial, right, you're almost gen Z, but you're a millennial where you're like you're like a.
Speaker 3: I think I'm ten Z. Yes, no, I'm a I'm a full out millennial.
Speaker 1: You're a full millennial. Okay, I thought you were like customer millennial gen z. All right, Well you can explain the tailor.
Speaker 3: St today It's okay, there we go.
Speaker 1: You can explain the how do you have to how old do you have to be to run for Congress? Isn't it twenty five?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: It is twenty five?
Speaker 1: Yes, see yeah, so see you could have Caroline Leavitt, I think ram when she was twenty six up in New Hampshire and now she probably going to be Trump's White House Press secretary. So you know, yeah, there's that. I got to talk about a sponsor. He for a second, we come back that you can explain why people So you just tried to tell me that the British royal family Americans are allowed to be obsessed with it because of history, and I'm sitting here like, okay, what I mean? We could go We could go many rounds on this one. I want to know why people should care about Taylor Swift, Travis Kelce and the conspiracies that were around this for a while that we're floating around. Do you buy into any of them? Also, we'll ask you about UFOs and JFK since Front conspiracies if we have time. But first up, do you feel prepared because with everything going on in the country, you should be thinking about defending yourself, protecting your home, and protecting your finances now more than ever. One form of financial protection diversification, gold has often been used to protect assets against inflation. It's a global reserve asset and countries are buying massive amounts of gold as a hedge against financial collapse. It's time to protect yourself and invest in gold. Stop thinking things are going to get better. You need to look out for yourself and your family. My friends at the Oxford Gold will help you understand why you need gold in your four oh one k, why you should have gold on hand as well. It's easy, it's simple. The Oxford Gold Group is there to help. Go to Oxford Goldgroup dot com slash free, or to the Free Investment Guide, or if you make a purchase of precious metals, you can earn up a twenty five hundred dollars in free gold. I've got Oxford Gold Group gold right here in my studio, got it locked away. It's good to have Oxford Goldgroup dot com slash free, Oxford Gooldgroup dot com slash free. Are you a Taylor? What are you a Swifty? A Taylor Swift fan? Is that something that we would say explain to explain yourself?
Speaker 2: Absolutely not, And I'm appalled by the women in my generation.
Speaker 3: That are so obsessed.
Speaker 2: She's like a cult leader for millennial women all the way down to I mean even younger. There's you know, seventy eight year olds that are obsessed with there as much as thirty thirty five year old women are. I don't understand it. I do not understand it. I am not a Swiftie by any means, and I'm sad that this is what, you know, America's culture has turned into. You know, I'm a Stevie Nick Scalp, you know, I was. My heart was born in the seventies, and I just do not understand the obsession with with Taylor Swift nowadays.
Speaker 3: I don't get it.
Speaker 1: But it seems like adults even are are asking all these questions about Travis Kelsey, whom I only know of now apparently he's very good at football. I only know about him because of this Taylor Swift phenomenon because I'm trying to read the news for adults, and the number one thing this is why, like, you know what, You're actually helping me illuminate something that I've just figured out about myself. I like the Daily Mail a lot, but the thing that drives me nuts about the Daily Mail as a news source is there's all this crap about Megan and Harry, you know.
Speaker 4: Harry, who's just like, I'll just do whatever Mugan says. Mgan wolves you know, he's the most boring buffoon the planet. And we just want to privacy. That's why we're doing interviews because of privacy. Uh.
Speaker 1: And then you've got all these celebrity you know, these celebrity things like the tailors. So it's I open daily mail. I'm looking for their good news, and what they give me is a lot of stuff about Taylor Swift and the British royal family. Why why is it? The people don't realize it is a It is a giant waste of time, and people probably tell me it's wasted time for me even talk about it now, But it got so much attention that I'm this is cathartic for me. Why do people waste their time caring about celebrities personal lives? This I've honestly never understood this at all. Like I don't really get it who someone is dating or whatever. Yeah, I wish them well, it's great. I hope they are like very happy, get married and have lots of kids. Why does what explain like to me? Where this comes from? This desire to like dig into the relationship.
Speaker 4: Is it real? Is it just for the cameras?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I honestly think it began in the Kardashian reality TV era, and I do believe that, you know, Rai Dalio a long time said that for so long it was never culture, never ran politics, and now it's the opposite. We're living in a time where all of these cultural things, you know, Taylor Swift now, how she's involved with, you know, supporting Biden.
Speaker 3: It's like the somewhere along the way that impacted our culture and now it's flitting into our politics.
Speaker 2: But I believe that it's just because we're living in this reality TV era where you know, we don't have people that are talking about the substantive issues. I mean, you are, and there are others in you know, our our lane of things that want to talk about things that matter, but we've just become so dumbed down as a society. And unfortunately, I'm embarrassed that a lot of you know, women are kind of that's all that they want to talk about instead of talking about ideas or philosophy or history or you know, politics and things like that. And we're just so this it's again, it's they make so much more money off of it though too. I mean, think about how much money Taylor Swift made off of all of these concerts and these women, these women being obsessed with her and now with her relationship. I believe that it started because of the reality TV era, that once we broke that you know, the proverbial what do they say that, not.
Speaker 3: The invisible hand, but that in a theater.
Speaker 2: Well, yes, once we broke that in reality TV, it completely changed the game. And unfortunately, I don't know if we can go back. You know, you don't see as much reality TV going on, and I guess people still care about relationships and things like that, but now it's just in your face all the time.
Speaker 1: Well, I would understand it if people were generally rooting for others to be happy, but obviously that's asking way too much because people like to revel in the misery of others. Let's actually talk about social media a second, because did you see on Capitol Hill I think it was a week ago all these members of Congress were like, I want accountability for Facebook, and they're like yelling about all this stuff. Do you know what I'm talking about? This just you might've been in the UK when this was going on. But this was the big thing was they were having and then then they have. Mark Zuckerberg was like okay, I'm like really sorry and we're you know, and no, Mark Zuckerberg's worth like eighty billion dollars more this week than he was last week, Like none of this. Let's talk about the social media stuff here in a second. You can agree with me, but I'm gonna let you think about this one. People that talk about banning TikTok, this is just like red meat that's fed. No one ever thinks this through. You're not going to ban TikTok. It doesn't actually do anything. But I know that's controversial and everyone the.
Speaker 4: Rights like book. I thought I could trust you.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about it in a second. I want to talk to you about my friends in American Financing for a minute. They've been helping neighbors save money for twenty five years, and they saved customers an average of eight hundred and fifty four dollars a month last year by letting people tap into their homes that we need to pay off high interest debt. And with mortgage rates stopping into the fives, now's a great time to call American Financing. All it takes is a ten minute call. That eight six six eight nine zero nine three nine two. They never charge any upfront fees. That's why they have over seventy two one hundred Google reviews and a four point seven star rating. They've helped thousands of customers, including me. I got my mortgage from American Financing. They help people save real money and put themselves in a better financial position. Call today to see what they can do for you. Eight sixty six eight nine zero nine three nine two. That's eight six six eight nine zero nine three nine two. American Financing dot net NMLS one A two three three four NMLS Consumer Access dot org APR for rates in the five start at six point four zero six percent for well qualified borrows. Borrowers call eight six six eight nine zero nine three nine two details for details about credit costs and terms. Okay, Catalina Star wars social media isn't making us all dumber, ruining us, and people pretend they want to do something about it in Congress, but they don't.
Speaker 3: What do you say, I believe it? Does you know?
Speaker 2: I was looking at a lot of these studies to bring up you know, women again, it studies show that it's actually made women more depressed, particularly liberal women, because they are actually on social media more than conservative women are.
Speaker 3: And I do believe that it is making us dumber, more sadder.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, it's just you know, it's just destroying relationships.
Speaker 3: It's just a distraction.
Speaker 2: And I know it's so important because in this age of communication, and it's amazing that you can have this medium to you know, share your life or even you know, speak with others or remember when Facebook first came out, how great that was to reconnect with people and all of that. But I think unfortunately it's gotten so big to the point where it's just eating everybody. I mean, it's just it's a part of everybody's life, and we're I think we're taking away from human connection, We're taking away from the realities of life, and it's unfortunately, I believe, really impacting people's mental health.
Speaker 3: But everybody has a choice, you know, you have the choice to.
Speaker 2: Be on social media or spend eight hours a day on it or not. And so I think it's it's amazing what technology has become. But I do believe that it's to the detriment of a human I don't want to say psychology, but I guess human psychology.
Speaker 1: So they keep telling us that they want to ban TikTok, but they never ban TikTok. Right, this is something that's bipartisan now to from members of Congress. I actually think that a lot of the time, when you have congressional agreement on something that's at issue, it's something to be like wary of. You're like, oh, these guys all agree. Something's up, like they're they're getting kickbacks, or there's something to see. There's something that they don't want you to see here. And I've been saying that they're not going to do it because here's here's my theory, okay, and you can agree or disagree with me, but this is but agreeing with me Catalina just means you're a brilliant person of excellent judgment. So I'm going to throw that out there. They say that they want to get rid of TikTok, and it's because they want to show, like, teach China lesson. I'm sitting here like China is engaged in the most sophisticated hacking operations and has been for twenty years in the history of the planet, stealing all kinds of sensitive information from companies, from government agencies, from everything. There's so much that's going on that people aren't even aware of in terms of corporate espionage, all the rest of it. The idea that China is going to be some power that will displace us because they know that I like to watch gun, red meat and puppy videos on my phone is absurd to me. I know, they keep saying, oh, they're going to have all your data, like I wouldn't use a Chinese based chat app. And I know some people are because people can see that. I mean, they'll just know whatever it is you're writing. But I don't understand. I'm sitting there, I'm scrolling through the videos, I watch what I want to watch, and they're like, they're telling me that, oh, they're going to change your mind. They're going to do propagandaity like Google is already doing that. YouTube is already doing that. And they concern me a lot more than China does.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I'm off on my own on this one though, So I'm just going to hand that off to you.
Speaker 3: I do understand.
Speaker 2: So there was actually a bill that they were working on just from what I've heard from the inside on Capitol Hill.
Speaker 3: It was a couple of months ago, and there.
Speaker 2: Were certain provisions that they were trying to do in terms of the security aspect of China, so in terms of them being able to gain access to data and all of that.
Speaker 3: So I think it's a hard one because if TikTok is.
Speaker 2: Just another medium, like you're saying that, you know, you watch things, you do things, and it's actually it's fine.
Speaker 3: You can make your own judgment. I do believe that there's more nuance in.
Speaker 2: The political aspect of it when it does come to data in privacy, and I think that unfortunately, you know, you're right.
Speaker 3: I mean, there are any time.
Speaker 2: That something's not getting passed and yet it could be for the greater good of both sides. To put it that way, there is something a little more underlying there, and I think that it's actually a lot more nefarious than we believe from an outside perspective.
Speaker 1: Do you go on TikTok?
Speaker 3: I don't. I've never downloaded it, but.
Speaker 1: No, it's it is super it is super addictive. I will tell you you can blow through two hours waiting in the airport, you know, for your flight or something. If it's delayed and you're just it can just take over your brain. I mean maybe I'm making a case against it them like I could take over your brain.
Speaker 4: But what were you gonna say?
Speaker 3: I will tell you though.
Speaker 2: It has been a huge success for different companies, especially in the consumer package good space. You look at all these different makeup companies or again you know nutrition or CpG companies. It's been hugely successful to a lot of our companies here in a way that Facebook ads Instagram ads just can't even come because people are spending so much time on it. And when it comes to an advertising perspective, for some reason, you have a higher turnover I'm sorry, a higher successparate and the conversion rate in a product on TikTok then I believe any other form of ad on social media. And so it is very powerful from an ad and a perspective, and also for our businesses. So that's also very tough too, especially in an economy like this where it's traditionally hard to grow some of these industries, and here you go something like TikTok is making some companies or keeping them in a survival state.
Speaker 3: Because you'll have a mom.
Speaker 2: That wants to buy things or you know, makeup brands like I'm saying, I mean, it's just crazy how much money TikTok can generate for companies nowadays.
Speaker 1: And so I think that's an interesting I'm going to cut up some parts of this interview and put it on TikTok. So you're going to be on tiko alright, So assuming assuming this is going to go on TikTok, what is the one bit of health advice that you like to give people. I know you're into a holistic and alternative health. What is the one thing you're like, you need to understand the following about what you're eating or putting into your body or what you need to be doing or whatever. What is the one thing that you would tell as many people as you could via TikTok?
Speaker 3: Stay away from seed oils. Seed oils are destroying our bodies.
Speaker 2: They're destroying our gut, micro bryomes, they're aging us.
Speaker 3: Stay away from seed oils.
Speaker 2: Look at the ingredients and anything that you buy from the grocery store, but stay away from seed oils.
Speaker 1: Number one, And for the younger ladies in our audience who are not yet married and who are out there dating. I know you have a wonderful, wonderful boyfriend in the United Kingdom, have not met him yet, but I hear great things. What is the best dating advice you would give your generation of ladies right now? Like if you could sit them down and say one thing that I think you need to know, or that I wish someone had told me ten years ago, whatever, what would it be?
Speaker 2: Never chase a man ever, men are supposed to pursue chivalry.
Speaker 3: Is not done.
Speaker 2: And timing has a lot to do with finding a significant other. You have to be prepared. You have to be in a good spot. You have to be in your own have a positive sense of well being on your own before you know bringing having a partnership.
Speaker 3: It is all about timing.
Speaker 2: Got to be in the right mindset to want to settle down, have a family, have children and all of that.
Speaker 3: But the right guy will will come around.
Speaker 2: What's meant to be will find its way, and timing is.
Speaker 1: A lot to do with it, all right. See you stay to the end of the podcast, you get some great advice and maybe even some TikTok fodder from that laugh kettle. Thank you so much for making the time. Get some sleep. I know you're jet lagged and we will talk to you again soon.
Speaker 3: Thank you,