Speaker 1: Hey, guys, ready or not, twenty twenty four is here and we here at breaking points, are already thinking of ways we can up our game for this critical election.
Speaker 2: We rely on our premium subs to expand coverage, upgrade the studio ad staff, give you, guys, the best independent coverage that is possible. If you like what we're all about, it just means the absolute world to have your support. But enough with that, let's get to the show.
Speaker 3: You're saying that.
Speaker 2: Israel needs to allow Hamas to stay there. Who's been breaking international law? Of our conplic are twenty years.
Speaker 4: As opposed to Hamas allowing these early government to stay there when they're breaking international law for even longer.
Speaker 2: Than That's not peace. Nobody wants peace. People want justice.
Speaker 3: Oops, it's just war.
Speaker 4: Gauz is unlivable anymore, too bad to cancelfort Palestinian life.
Speaker 3: People are starving. Is just all an accident.
Speaker 2: It's crazy that the numbers are so poor for a country that could kill so many more people. They're doing things that no other countries are in. There's a reason, by the way, which you will never recognize, why all of the surrounding Arab states have a Bean ined the Palestinians too, because their history has been one of violence. That first they've been encouraged by the surrounding nations and used by them, and then now they've been abandoned.
Speaker 3: What's the other nations?
Speaker 5: Happy Friday everyone, or Thursday night if you're a premium subscriber Breakingpoints dot Com if you want to get the show early to your inbox. I'm Emilidrishinski, and you probably recognize the man sitting next to me. We're about to tee up a fascinating debate. I'm joined, of course, also by my co host, my wonderful co host, Ryan Grimm. And these two gentlemen that you see here are not debating for the first time. They debated in the past. Maybe some of you have watched that they sparred over the question of Israel actually earlier this year and then kind of subsequently continued a bit.
Speaker 2: Of a back and forth.
Speaker 5: So we know that we're not going to settle the debate once and for all here today. But I think what we want to do Ryan is really pushed for more moral clarity, push for more contrast as we reflect on just this last week of absolute historic protests, rocking dozens of campuses across the country. So we have two popular proponents of the respective sides here and we're excited to get into it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and to introduce them both. We've got to my right here, Omar bar Dharr. He is a Palestinian American political analyst who's been following a situation in the Middle East for many, many years. On the other side, we have Stephen Banel Junior, who's better known by his streaming name mister Barelli or whatever the or by like a dozen different names from if You If you guys watched the Norman Finkelstein debate that kind of thrust destiny as a streaming name into this conversation to we want to start with the campus protests before getting to the war itself. This week saw a militarized response over at VCU U T Austin Columbia and the kind and a vigilante response at u C l A. Uh So, just curious for your your read in general on these protests as they've unfolded it. Have you seen any double standard when it comes to kind of the free speech warriors that we've seen championing the cause of free expression on college campuses now championing the cause of shooting fireworks into peaceful encampments.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's the double standard is incredibly glaring. I mean you would have to put on blinders to actually miss it. I think that these student protesters are the conscience of this country. We are witnessing an absolutely horrific situation unfolding on the ground, and American policy is to insist on continuing to send endless weapons unconditionally to a military force that is mass slaughtering children by the tens of thousands. And these students are saying, we're taking a stand, this is not okay. If we can't impact the policy makers directly, We're going to make sure that our institutions and the money that we're paying to these institutions is not playing into this kind of mass slaughter and what we witness like, from my perspective, in a better world, cops would be going after the people who are violating American law to make sure that weapons can continue slaughtering children, rather than going after people who are peacefully protesting, overwhelmingly peacefully protesting in order to change that policy, change American investment in it. And you're absolutely right, you have a level of demonization of these protesters, constantly talking about them as if you know, it's just like anti Semitic mobs or whatever that people leading these protests. There's very significant portion of progressive young Jewish people who are the leaders in many cases of some of these protests, groups from If Not Now and Jewish Wars for Peace and many others, and they are on the receiving end of tremendous hate and violence, and nobody talks about that. And as you mentioned, what we're witnessing in the UCLA is absolutely horrifying. These protesters being attacked by you know, bear spray and fireworks and some of them being beaten up and you see like some serious injuries. But because the climate in this country is one in which one side gets demonized, that empowers and emboldens the response not just from police but also from vigilantes. And I just want to know one last thing, just because Steven is here and I think it's really relevant, is there's a person that I know named Simone Zimmermann and who.
Speaker 2: She's intended today for an intercept of that that's right.
Speaker 4: And she's one of the most conscientious and decent human beings that you'll ever meet. And she knows personal people in her life who have lost loved ones on October seventh from the attack that Hamas carried out, and she was horrified by that attack, and she's equally horrified by Israel's response.
Speaker 3: In the mass slaughter.
Speaker 4: And she's one of those people who is fighting for a better future for Palestinians and Israelis. And she was at a passover cedar at Colombia, joining the protesters and talking about how beautiful it is that she's in that setup. And Stephen Coot tweeted that tweet and said that he would like to donate thousands of gallons of kerosy and presumably so these people can set themselves on fire. And it's just such an ugly and distasteful thing to say. And I'm genuinely curious of what you were thinking when you tweet things like that.
Speaker 2: If everybody celebrated Bushnell doing his protest, from more people want to protest that way than God help him, I guess.
Speaker 5: So this is not about Bushnell, though, But let's keep going in response to that, because Omar set up an interesting j justicae position here between anti Semitic mobs and peaceful protesters. So is what we're seeing on these campuses anti Semitic mobs or is it peaceful protesters from your perspectives.
Speaker 2: Even from my perspective, I mean, it really depends on which series of videos that you watch. I think from an American perspective, it really shouldn't matter if they're anti Semitic mobs or if they're protesting foreign policy or whatever. The United States, we don't have hate speech laws. You should be allowed to say really whatever you want in protest, assuming you're not violating any social or whatever the ordinances are. I know, like for some college campuses you're not allowed to block pathways, or you can't protest if they've got events planned for graduations or whatever. And as long as they're not disrupting the piece in a way where you're like, you can't blow loudspeakers. I think on college campuses, as long as you're following lugs, you'll be able to protest however you want.
Speaker 5: But if you are, say what we saw from NYPD and LAPD actually last night, if you're violating laws university rules, even with an encampment, if you broke into the hall like they did and have been barricaded up in there, What did you make of the NYPD response? Just like Columbia for example, I like.
Speaker 2: To wait till the ust settles on this because I hear so many different things about how students were all being peaceful. I've seen obviously the videos of like some of the stuff being broken into. I think that when it comes to an analysis of how to respond to these particular events, I think that the start and stop needs to be what are the rules and regulations in place? Because a lot of people will jump in and start arguing, well, it's a public area, so they could be wherever they want to do wherever they want without even understanding the rules or regulations in place. I think as a blanket rule. I don't know why this particular situation would need any kind of unique analysis. It would be the same as all protests. If you're in a private college, I understanding that they can remove you whenever they want. It's private property. If you're in a state funded or public university, then there are certain areas that are supposed to remain open to the public and they can't remove you unless you are not there in an ordinary manner. If you're disrupting some of their event. I don't say anything about these particulars at a protest that would call for any type of unique analysis that escapes like that fundamental rule to protests in the United States in.
Speaker 5: Your fundamental rule, then, to quote tweet with.
Speaker 2: The Kerosene, I thought it was insane that you had delusional people, especially young children in the United States, that don't know any part of this conflict whatsoever, which is probably the vast majority of people protesting it. That people are celebrating people setting themselves on fire, that is just unbelievable to me. You saw a guy do it in front of a I think one of the New York City courthouses for the Trump stuff. You saw the Aaron Bushnell guide do it for who knows what reason, I guess because you thought the whole world wasn't already paying attention to this issue. And yeah, the idea of people ever celebrating themselves in a democratic first world country setting themselves on fire for an issue that already has an unlimited amount of international attention unbelievably stupid to me.
Speaker 4: But how does it relate to this particular instance. I mean, this is a bunch of Jewish students celebrating with pro Palestinian students Overpassover and talking about a climate in which they're coming together, Like why did you decide to drag the Bushnell thing into this?
Speaker 2: That's the one I think it's funny when people disingenuously load phrases like, oh, all the Jewish people are protesting with these people, there are so many jewishroople. That's not true. The last few research things I saw I think We're twenty twenty three shows like ninety percent of people who are Jewish support the existence of Israel. So the idea that there's a huge group of Israel.
Speaker 4: All over the Jewish people, Yeah, this is not about the existence of Israel. There's no question about the fact that so many of these protests leader are in fact Jewish. These groups, they're not imaginary, They're not a figment of your imagination. You can actually go see them and look at how large their gatherings are, how lot of their voices have been That people who are getting arrested in Congress, so many of them are progressive Jewish organizations that are leading this effort. This is not about some broader what are the views of American Jews about the existence of Israel.
Speaker 2: We're just what now we're protests about.
Speaker 4: The protests are about ending the slaughter of the children of Gaza. That's what the protests are about. What do you mean, what does it look like?
Speaker 2: What is the end condition of the It's not just ending the slaughter, it's also stopping the blockade. It's also reaching a just resolution to the Palestadian conflict. It's also probably the unlimited right of return of six million refugees. It's probably the dissolution of Israel as a Jewish majority state. It's probably the create like I mean.
Speaker 4: You're conflating a ton of different things. A lot of these protesters have varying views about this. Some of them support a two state solutions, some of them support a one state solution. But what's bringing everybody together in this moment is a realization that what Israel is doing to Gaza is absolutely unconfortable. That you slaughter people at that scale, that is is is clearly waging a war on the civilian population of Gaza. That's what these people are upset about, and they want it to come to an end and.
Speaker 1: The specific thing that they're protesting and maybe, well, we could actually find something to agree on here because I've seen you describe yourself as kind of a moderate who tries to balance the extremists on each side here. So the specific thing the protesters are arguing for all of these different campuses is opening up the books of their basically the hedge funds that run their universities, and divesting from firms that are either linked to the war in Gaza or link to Israel. More generally, Brown University reach an agreement with its protesters that they would they would abandon their encampment in exchange for a vote in October to divest from that. That gets to the question of resistance and the right to resistance, And so for years it has been the kind of policy of the right here and a lot of the center here in the United States to make it illegal to try to ban people from participating in boycotts or divestment efforts or lobbying for sanctions against Israel. At the same time, you say, well, armed resistance is clearly off off the table. So if you rule out both, you'd only leave people with one option. So even if you don't support boycotting or divesting from Israel, do you support the right of people here in the United States?
Speaker 2: To to check right explicit for how states have banned some of the BDS participation. As a fundamental right to boycott, I think in the United States you should always have the right to boycott everything except for our currency. I think, yeah, you have the right to boycott whatever you want. I don't know why that should ever be made illegal, but I know that in particular things are we going at that BDS stuff that I think states look at. But yeah, of course you should always have the right. I wish that the people that would talk about conditioning support for Israel, though, would also talk about conditioning support for Palestine, because there are some of the highest recipients of aid in the world per capita, the United States trip it's a lot of that aid. It's interesting to me that it seems like we're always talking about how we need to condition aid in congratulations, Congress just banned all funding of ENRA. So yeah, I have seen that.
Speaker 5: Well so actually, because Stephen raised an interesting point that what's the kind of end goal of the protesters after BDS in the service of what you know, what does.
Speaker 2: That look like to one state solution where Jews of the minority.
Speaker 5: Well, so you said earlier that you know, it's it sort of depends on whatever video you're looking at, that this is an anti semitic mob or peaceful protesters, And I think that's actually true. There's videos showing all kinds of different things, which is part of the issue of piecing together these stories via social media. So if that, if the one state solution is kind of the ultimate goal of the people that are protesting for BDS, what is your like do you think they're fundamentally anti Semitic? Do you think they're fundamentally Are they, from your perspective, just mistaken, misguided, or are they bigoted?
Speaker 2: I don't care. Trying to start out, like the difference between like anti semitism and anti zi is almost impossible, and in practice the two look almost identical sometimes, so the obsession of trying to figure out, like, what is the driving thing here between anti semitism versus anti Zionism, I think in some cases it's good to find differences. So some people are discriminatory against poor people, some people are discriminatory against certain races of people, and figuring out the difference here is really important when it comes to antisemitism versus anti Zionism. In regards to israel I think that the talking points of somebody who's an anti Zionists are indistinguishable from the talking points of somebody who is anti Semitics. So there are a lot.
Speaker 5: Of Israelis who don't support the net Yahoo policy.
Speaker 2: That's but that's not anti Zionism such that they want a one state solution. Even Palestinians don't want a one state solution.
Speaker 4: It's utterly grotesque to conflate those two things. Opposition to Zionism is opposition to the state of Israel the way it came into being at the expense of hundreds of thousands of Palestinians who were driven out of their homes. And there is a different vision that instead of having a Jewish state that privilegius one particular group of people over another, that you have a vision for a state in which everybody is equal. Americans would be familiar with what that vision actually looks like. You remember the era of Jim Crow and what that meant. And people who are demanding a different kind of country in which everybody is equal. That's not the same as being anti white. It's absurd to even put these remotely in the same category. And can I just just if I can finish just on the point of BDS, BDS, also, by the way, has been clear about the fact that they don't take any particular political solution. It does certainly happen that a lot of BDS activists do support a one state solution, but that is not the position of BDS itself as a movement that is calling for boycotts in isolation. And just on the free speech angle, you have states all over the country that are passing laws that basically make it punishable to boycott not just Israel, but Israeli settlements that are built in the occupied territories, and those settlements are war crimes under international law. And so you have a situation in which this country, part of its founding, is that we celebrate boycotts of you know, as part of deep entrenched part of American culture, the boycott of British treat during the founding of the country, the Montgomery bus boycott during the Civil rights movement. And now you're saying that boycotting the war crimes of a foreign country is somehow punishable. People being denied the ability to work with state governments or schools or medical facilities or anything that is affiliated with the state. Those are transparently unconstitutional laws. They have been challenged by organizations like the ACLU, They have been defeated in court in many cases, but unfortunately they keep popping up faster than the rate at which you can challenge them.
Speaker 3: And that's a serious crisis.
Speaker 4: Anybody who's serious about being committed to free speech and saying that Americans should be able to exercise the right to boycott, including when it comes to Israel or Israel's atrocities, that's an absolutely critical issue that we're not talking enough about. That you have the power of the state being used to silence people's right to free speech.
Speaker 3: And I think that's a really important angle.
Speaker 1: I want to move to the conduct of the war by Israel pretty soon. But and the one state verse two state question, isn't it the case that the current Israeli government position is one state? There's a complete rejection across the board of a Palestinian state river to the sea.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I think the Lakud platform is essentially always said as much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So okay, so a more agreement like you're you're you oppose that, you think that why I oppose it?
Speaker 2: He's in favor of the one state where the Jews live as a minority in that state. Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, Just to be clear, Theaho government and the liqud are in favor of a one state in which Jews are privileged over Palestinians, with Palestinians occupying multi tiers. If you're a citizen of Israel, have a certain amount of rights. If you're in the West Bank, you get this many rights. And if you're in Gaza, you're completely under siege and there's nothing that you can do, which is in my country country, my vision of a one state, they have more rights than Yeah. Well, in those countries, you don't permanently occupy those people and prevent them from having any rights and deny them citizenship as well. And that's the fundamental problem is that Israel's vision is Palestinians can never be free, they can get their own state, and they can't live as equals within Israel. So your status is just to be permanently occupied and helpless without rights. And that's a vision that I think is absolutely nobody who has a conscience can actually support. And my vision of a one state would be one in which everybody actually has equal rights and everybody can live equally precisely the way that we live in the United States.
Speaker 2: Which is a really fun position to take in the West when we have like no stake in the game. I think it's fun to scream that at protest. I think it's fun to go on Twitter and do that. I think at the end of the day, that type of rhetoric is ultimately destructive to Palestinians because everybody knows that that's never happening. It's a pipe dream. Less than thirty percent of Palestinians are in favor of a singular state where Jews and Arabs have the exact same rights. Literally, nobody wants that. People in Israel don't want that. It's literally you're just virtue signaling and paying lip service to an idea that is grossly unpopular across the entirety of Israel and Palestine. Not only that, the idea that you would have a singular state created where six million Palestinian refugees are then brought back into the state. There's no shot that any Jewish person living there, who has lived through the second in Nevada, who has lived through Hamas attacks, who's lived through hasib law attacks, who's lived through international support for who the attacks, is going to feel safe in such a state and they know that there would be absolutely no intern national support for them if that state were created. And Jews want to start getting slaughtered en mass there, let's.
Speaker 5: Past it to Omar with that for a response. And also I'll sort of add to that, maybe they narrow it down a little bit. What is then let's say, you know, hypothetically, would take the best faith argument not from net Yahoo, but let's say Israeli citizen who's both concerned about their safety and concerned about net Yahu's leadership. What does the path towards peace from the perspective of an Israeli what does that look like when they see the level of support for Hamas. And we can obviously get into why so many people in Palestine feel like they need to support Hamas.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and a way you're putting your finger on the problem precisely. I mean, Israel is upset that there's so much hostility towards them. But the reason there's so much hostility is because of the way that they have been treated Palestinians for a decade. After a decade, just the level of brutality that Palestinians have experienced under occupation has been absolutely horrific.
Speaker 3: And you know, when you talk about the.
Speaker 4: Prospects for peace, there was a time in which Palestinians recognized that they there's a significant power deferential that they can't actually get freedom from the river to the sea in their own homeland, and there was an indulgence of the idea that maybe we can have a two state compromise in which Palestinians would only get the West Bank, Gaza and East Jerusalem, which is about one fifth of the entire territory of their historic homeland, and Israel gets to keep the other four fifths. That from Palastinian's perspective, is a massive Palaestinian compromise bending over backwards to facilitate some kind of two states. And all what Israel was required to do is not grant Palestinian some sort of favor, but simply comply with international law by withdrawing from the occupied territories that are obligated to do that. Anyway, the occupied territories do not belong to Israel. And during this period, Palaestinian support for peace with Israel was skyrocketed. Public opinion show that their significant support for a two state.
Speaker 3: Solution amass way down. Even though Hamas was trying to destabilize the situation at the time committing acts of violence, they did not enjoy any support among Palestinians. It is only when it became.
Speaker 4: Clear that Israel has no interest whatsoever and allowing Palestinians to have a state and spent the entire so called peace process building more and more and more settlements, just expanding them throughout the occupied Palestinian territories, where Palestinians saw the prospect for a Palestinian state shrinking by the day. On the ground, they understood that this entire process was a sham, and the fact that Israeli restrictions were increasing, Israeli violence was ongoing, it became clear that this was not going to be a path to in which Palestinians can get a real state. And that's when you got the shift in public opinion back in terms of supporting for armed resistance as the only way, because clearly Israel could not be talked into seeing Palestinians as equal human beings and granting them.
Speaker 1: But then what now, Well, a shorter version maybe for Stephen to respond to is that the way to defeat Hamas is through peace, not war.
Speaker 2: What's wrong with that? It sounds really brutal, But the issue is that the unlimited amount of international support for the Palestinians means that the Palestinians will never look to peace. They shouldn't. They always have an unlimited reservoir internationally of people who will encourage the delusions that if they continue to fight, they're going to get a better deal. It's the reason why they walked away in two thousand from Camp David, is the reason why they walked away from the tap of Summit. Is the reason why a boss walked away in two thousand and eight from O Mert. It is the reason why the Oslo Courts were never negotiated in ninety three. That period of violence that he's talking about from ninety three to two thousand, where the Israelis were continuing to expand settleents into the West Bank, is true. But Palestinians also continue to engage in terrorist activities. A lot of people didn't trust Arafat because Arafat would sign on to a deal for the Oslo Courts and then we'd go over to Switzerland and he'd make speeches in universities about how like, yeah, we're good to this now, but you know we're going to get them as as soon as we got a little bit, we're going to take more, which is ironically what they've accused is real of doing for the past one hundred years. I think that in order for this conflict to actually start to reach some kind of resolution, I think that, again, it sounds mean, but Palestinians need to feel like they have something at stake, and it looks like they do. But in reality, politically, Palestinians have never lost anything because people continue to make them feel as though they can always go back to borders that existed eighty years ago. People will constantly say, you just said it here, Well, what's the fair thing? They only want to a sliver of this land, one fifth of the territory. Yeah, they tried like three, four or five different wars to get more and they lost. You can't continue to go back to the first try over and over and over again and demand the deal that was on the table before you walked away from the partition plan in forty seven. You can't go to war five times and then keep going back to another set of borders. There are always one generation behind when it comes to accepting some type of actual peace deal. So as long as Palestinians have people like Ohmar internationally that will support them in an unlimited delusion to fight forever, plistiness will never try to accept these and they shouldn't. They really should. There's no reason to.
Speaker 5: In one sense, if you have public polling that shows some seventy percent this was from a Palestinian polling firm in December, seventy two percent supported what happened on October seventh. So and we can talk about why, and we will, I'm sure. So with all of that said, what now, what if you you know, if you were in charge of Israeli foreign policy in a hypothetical sense, And I think this will be a response to what Stephen just said, what happens now to get to a position where, to your point, there can be justice.
Speaker 4: I'm happy to address that, but it just I have to go back to a particular point. The idea that Palestinians are rejectionist because they have so much international support, I think is just thoroughly absurd. Palestinians are paying an unbelievable cost every single day their lives are completely brutalized under occupation, and the idea that they see no cost of continuing to fighting on forever.
Speaker 3: It's just completely ridiculous. It's detached from reality.
Speaker 4: It's as if you're unaware of what Palatine conditions are under Israeli occupation, the reason why they were willing to bend over backwards. I mean, if you look at the history of negotiations, you look at the Palestine papers that got leaked shortly after I think back in the mid two thousands, it's obvious that Palestinians were bending over backwards to try to make that deal work, and Israel insisted on expanding more and more settlements. And yes, you can say that Palestinian violence was ongoing at the time, but so is Israeli violence. I mean the attack that happened on the mosque in Hebron where thirty Palestinians, nearly thirty Palaestinis were killed by a Jewish terrorist named Baru Goldstein. That happened during the so called peace process, and Israel responded by putting Palestinians in Hebron under curfew to prevent any possible retaliation. Those are theitions, but nobody looks at that incident and says, oh, well, there was Israeli violence, Therefore the Israelis, you know, we're not.
Speaker 3: That's the reason why the.
Speaker 2: Point I'm making.
Speaker 4: The point i'm making is that this is besides the point that, yes, we can point to individual atrocities, and that does not change the fact that throughout the peace process, if Israel were genuinely interested in allowing for a Palestinian state to exist, they would not have spent the entire soul called.
Speaker 3: Peace process taking up more and more and more of the West BacT. So it's the disingenuous.
Speaker 4: Nature of of of of Israeli policy that that's the reason why this is a problem.
Speaker 3: Now to your point of what now.
Speaker 5: Going to say they are genuinely interested in the peace process and you're you're.
Speaker 3: In charge, Yeah, so what do they do right now?
Speaker 4: We have a situation right there is a problem of the fact that the overwhelming majority of Palestinians support groups like Hamas. You have a majority of people in Israel, overwhelming majority support the most vicious policies of the Nathaniaho government and just carrying on, and they think that they're not going far enough in Gaza and so on, and that just it's it's important to note that hatred is a symptom.
Speaker 3: Of the conflict and not the cause of it. People get this stuff backwards.
Speaker 4: When you think of apartheid in South Africa, there was plenty of hostility and we eventually had a reconciliation process between white and black people in South Africa, but only after apartheid fell. That's when you can have reconciliation. But the idea that you can try to work on how people feel about each other in the midst of one side occupying the other, controlling every aspect of their lives and brutalizing them day in and day out.
Speaker 3: There's no surprise that there are hostile feelings. And yes, when Palestinians do respond with violence, Israelis who are out of touch with the reasons why all of this is happening, are going to develop hostile feelings as well.
Speaker 4: This is a moment in which the international community has to step in. This is not about making Israelis and Palestinians like each other right now. This is about making sure that one side does not get to dominate the other until the end of time and the status quo leading up to October seventh is one in which Israel dominated every aspect of Palestinian life. So you can say, yes, both sides hate each other, but one side is in charge of everything. One side gets to decide whether they want to put the people of Gaza on a diet, as they were talking about, you know, when they first imposed the siege on Gaza. Just Palestinians don't get to decide how much fruit Israelis get. They don't get to demolish Israeli homes will whenever they feel like it. They don't get to humiliate Israelis a checkpoints day in and day out. So because there's a dynamic in which one side is imposing an illegal occupation over another people and taking over their land, that has to come to an end, and you can bring it to an end through international pressure, primarily from the United States as the country that has the most leverage over Israel, to say not another penny until that occupation ends. And when that occupation comes to an end, we can talk about sorting out the exact specifics of how we get more conciliation and.
Speaker 3: Cooperation between Palestinians and Israelis.
Speaker 1: And when it comes to international support for Palestinians. There's one side that has had the international support of the world's great superpower and right the political and military support as well Israel.
Speaker 2: What about the Soviet Unius supporting the Soviet Union has had a very complicated relationship unions states before the United States and truly also Aroun until about sixty six sixteen.
Speaker 1: Some union also hasn't been here since nineteen ninety.
Speaker 2: But the conflict also didn't start after the ninety one, after the collapse of the Sovietnion.
Speaker 1: But the point is that Israel has had a lot of agency, and Benjamin Netyaho in particular, as you know, the Prime minister for most of the last what twenty five thirty years, has had an extraordinary amount of agency as well. And I wanted to read to you a piece of an essay published in how Retz recently by Israeli historian Yuval Noah Hararia. He writes, given the murderous nature of Hamas this time, its allies gave Israel free reign for many months to conquer Gaza, liberate the Israeli hostages, changed the situation in the Strip according to Israel's best judgment, and create a new order in the region. The netn Yahoo government wasted this historic opportunity and also wasted the bravery and dedication of the soldiers of the IDF. The net Yahoo government failed to exploit its battlefield victories to reach an agreement on the release of all the hostages and to advance an alternative political order in Gaza. Instead, it decided to knowingly inflict on Gaza an unnecessary humanitarian disaster, and in so doing inflicted on Israel an unnecessary political disaster. One by one, our allies have become horrified by what is happening in Gaza, and one by one they are calling for an immediate ceasefire and even for a weapons embargo on Israel. Even during the worst moments of October seventh, Hamas was nowhere near vanquishing Israel. But the ruinous policy of the net Yahoo government following October seventh has placed Israel in existential danger. So, when I ask you, it seems like a pretty fundamental irony that if Israel had listened to critics like Omar and myself after October seventh, who warned against enacting violence just for the purposes of revenge and potentially for ethnic cleansing, of Gaza, they would ironically, in paradoxly be in a much stronger global strategic political position than they are now where they're facing not just isolation, but charges before the ICJ and potentially before the ICC. So are they making a mistake and following kind of the more bellicose advice that they're getting from their so called allies.
Speaker 2: That's a touching essay. Who was the alternative order politically besides Hamas that would have risen up in the Gaza Strip. If there was an alternative political order, I would love to hear it. Even in the West Bank. There's a reason why a boss suspended elections twenty years ago. Even in the West Bank, Hamas enjoys pretty broad support. I mean their answers to this question, and it's not rhetorical.
Speaker 3: Do you want to take that?
Speaker 2: I mean, well, hold on, wait wait, But before he does it, also to elaborate a bit on the military objectives, I think Hamas needs to go. I don't think that there's any future that happens where Israel can negotiate anything, whether it's peace or war, with Hamas remaining as the government in the Gaza Strip. I don't think any of the surrounding Arab states wanted Hamas to remain as the government in the Gaza strip. It's a disaster. You've had a series of conflicts. In two thousand and eight you had kind of led, twenty fourteen you had Protective Edge, twenty eighteen you had the response to the Great March of Return, and now in twenty twenty three you had a massive attack on October seventh. The idea that you would just allow them to stay here after spending at least a year preparing for what was probably I think the single largest day of violence against Jesus the Holocaust, it would be that's an untenable position. I don't think a single other country, a person in all of the history would be asked to keep a government like that in play.
Speaker 1: Well, we paused for one second on the quote response to the Great March of Return. For people who don't know, the Great March of Return was a civil society led Gaza initiative that was a nonviolent demonstration where every Friday, people would meet and kind of march to the fence, you know, symbolically gazing out at land that had been that they had lost over the years. The idea of responded by killing a pretty significant amount of Palestinians, but also maiming tens of thousands, to the point where.
Speaker 2: The UN.
Speaker 1: The UN put out a report noting that it had become commonplace to see people walking around with one leg missing a leg missing an arm. There were IDF soldiers who said we were told shoot out the legs.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: One guy said he hit like forty plus legs in a single day. Hamas opposed this at the start because it was nonviolent, because it was civil society led. Hamas eventually caved under public pressure and ended up supporting the Great March Return, which I think goes to your question, what is the political order that can replace Hamas. If there is a non violent movement that can gain traction, then Hamas is defeated by that. Hamas is pressured into supporting that just by the kind of public support for it, like happened with the Great March Return. The Israeli response was not to say, Wow, let's embrace this non violent, civil society led movement and marginalize Hamas and reach a deal with this Palestinian force that could even see a unification between the West Bank and Gaza toward a long term peaceful solution. It was let's annihilate this, let's shoot and kill and maim the peaceful protesters, which only then fortifies Hamasa's position and allows them to say that we were right all along. We told you you can't deal with Israel, we warned you against this, that violence is the only way forward.
Speaker 2: That's a fantastic retelling that is almost entirely fictional. For the great margin return, it did start off as a generally peaceful protest. The idea behind the March of Return was returning to Israel. The UN has released a report where they've gone over a lot of the shootings. It's very curious that if you actually read the entire report, you'll notice that almost every single shooting happens between fifty to one hundred meters in range, Which is curious. Why would if these are because I was told I believe by I think Finkelstein himself said, or might have been Raboni, that this was a cracked team of Israeli snipers. What apparently their rifles only worked up two hundred meters. The reason why just lazy, or maybe the why because there is a no go zone between the fence and one hundred meters because when people get too close, people try to cut the fence open, people try to break through, which is what was happening towards the end of the no choice but to shoot all those unarmed people. It doesn't matter if you're armed or unarmed, if you're approaching an area that you're not supposed to be in. And then when people start to try to break into the breakthrough the fence, that's the rules of the border. You try to cross any militarized border, you're probably going to get shot at. Also, towards the end of the Great Marshal Return, there were people that were throwing stones, that were sending over incendiary balloons that were causing like fires to spread on the other side of the fence. All this is documented even by the UN and that was when the majority of the firing from the Israeli police happened. If you want to say that they shouldn't be shooting at people who were close to the fence because you don't like that policy or whatever, that's fine, But characterizing that is like just open firing into a bunch of innocent people that are standing there with the goal of just maiming people. For no reason is the most unbelievable retelling of what happened. Now, it's the end of that event, that's exactly what happened.
Speaker 4: Actually, just to characterize it, just you know, get an even more complete picture. Israeli policy is people in Gaza have no right to go in a out of the cage that they've been placed into, their complete siege, their economies and shambles, because Israel does not allow them to trade with the outside world.
Speaker 3: They can't have an airport.
Speaker 4: Because Israel doesn't feel like they are entitled to an airport, can't have a seaport. You know, when you look at the rates of unemployment over fifty percent in Gaza at the time, And if those people who are trapped in this cage come a little too close to the border, then we open fire at them and kill them, even when they're unarmed, because that's border policy.
Speaker 3: If this is.
Speaker 1: Something that more than If this is something it's more than six thousand, according to the un quote unquote more than six thousand unarmed demonstrators were shot by military snipers week after week at the protest sites and the separation fence.
Speaker 3: There's no denying that.
Speaker 4: Yes, some people try to open up, and some people sent insidiary balloons over the border and so on. But by and large, when you look at the cases, human rights organizations have been clear about the fact that people were targeted when they posed absolutely no threat to Israeli soldiers. So Israeli soldiers opened fire on people and targeted specifically journalists and children. That is, and people are.
Speaker 2: Game that's being played when we say posed no threat to Israeli soldiers. There was one U and Rep that came out that analyzed it that claimed that every single shooting except for one was unjustified. But the way that they got that is they didn't analyze that as an armed conflict. They analyzed that as a policing event. And when you analyze things internationally as a policing event, typically police aren't allowed shootor kill anybody unless they pose a direct threat to the individual who Why would be analyzed as an armed conflict if one side wasn't dark because Hamas was present, it doesn't matter if they were shooting if you've got an enemy. If you've got an enemy military that is present amongst people that are perform that are there was no AMAS is considered oppositional force and if you've got people that are participating, if.
Speaker 4: You don't have guns not, of course, nothing to do clear about the fact that the situation. You can only kill combatants if they're in combat and they're armed. You can't somebody.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, you do not become oystered combat You do not.
Speaker 3: You're not.
Speaker 2: Do you not all of a sudden gain the protections of a civilian if you're an enemy combatant without a gun.
Speaker 4: If you have to absolute film Google, yes, let's let's do that.
Speaker 3: Just to go back to a point that you made earlier about sort of, I just want.
Speaker 2: To just so you're saying that, like if there's a military and you're finding the enemy and you guys, if you just drop your guns, you can just like run back and nobody can.
Speaker 3: If you drop your guns and raise your arms.
Speaker 2: You can't know that surrendering. That's different than running away. You can't drop your guns and just run away, and you can't get shock because you know, fire off.
Speaker 3: If you're a military threat at the time, it's a military engagement.
Speaker 2: That is absolutely not true.
Speaker 3: Okay, I just.
Speaker 2: You have a control room look stuff, But you're wrong.
Speaker 3: That's that's that's a level of detail.
Speaker 4: Again, you start like playing up imaginal scenarios of somebody shooting at you.
Speaker 3: And then dropping their gun and turning around.
Speaker 2: But that's what your rule would lead to. We have to be able to analyze like this is the problem acknowledge like the basic reality conflict.
Speaker 5: This brings up a really fundamental reality actually, because Omar was talking about airports and the seaparts ports, and I think we all agree it would be miserable to live in a territory that doesn't have an airport, doesn't have a seaport.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 5: The argument from Israels of Israel is that if you put an airport and Gaza Hamas would immediately see is it and use it to use parts, use the technologies to kill Israelis.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and nobody asks if you have an airport in Israel, will these yearly government use it to import weapons from the United States that they then used to kill Palestinians. You see, there's an inequality here that we never really acknowledge.
Speaker 2: And I don't think that's unfair.
Speaker 5: I just mean, so, what is like, now, what is the path to creating a guy that can happen?
Speaker 2: What do we think Hamas would use the airport in the support to bring in weapons.
Speaker 4: I have no doubt that they would exactly the same way the Israeli government imports weapons. And so it's massive atrocities terrorism against What can.
Speaker 5: People in Palestine do to create a situation where that's not and what can people in Israel do to create a situation.
Speaker 4: And to Stephen's earlier point, that which we did not address, is like, you know, he thinks the goal of removing Hamass from power is absolutely essential and you've got.
Speaker 3: To do it first. I want to point out that double standardause nobody says we have to get rid of thesesaely government. It's not.
Speaker 5: It's not even by any better better if you're better, and that it's a democracy better in that responds to international global pressure better than that.
Speaker 2: Their goal isn't the entire annihilation of a group of people.
Speaker 4: If you think that the absolutely is their absolute intention is the absolute erasure of Palestinians has.
Speaker 3: Exploded because they're doing it in slow motion.
Speaker 2: There's going the opposite way and you go backwards.
Speaker 4: That's a very very cute talking point, but when you look at what actually Israeli policy has been for literally decades, it's been confining, Palestinians too smaller and smaller areas.
Speaker 3: You can see it unfolding.
Speaker 4: In the case of Gaza, they've just given up on Gaza. They've basically this seized the entire thing. It's a cage. Palestinians can do whatever they want there. They don't care about Gaza anymore, and that's how they wanted to leave it.
Speaker 3: In the case of the West Bank, they absolutely are squeezing Palestinians into smaller and smaller areas. So you can talk about the Palastinian population increasing in terms of numbers, but they're in the areas that Israel is interested in taking over. They're absolutely decreasing.
Speaker 4: When you look at Jerusalem, Jerusalem every few years you look at it in the number of Palatines, and Jerusalem is actually decreasing. It's a deliberate policy of pushing Palestinians out. But so from my perspective, and look, look.
Speaker 2: There are Palestinian is decreasing. Are you saying because some of them are getting citizenship for Israel now?
Speaker 4: Because no, no, no, no no, because Israel is demolishing their homes and replacing them. And in some cases you see it actually on video of Palestinian families being thrown out of their homes in East Rustom and Jews Stetler's come and to take over those is There.
Speaker 2: Is cens available for every person living. Even there's a lot of people you want because they don't want to be part of Israel. And do you think real quick, because you mentioned between the Hamas, do you think if Hamasu ran Israel and Jews lived in the Gaza strip in the West Bank, do you think the situation would look the same or do you think as would treat them worse?
Speaker 3: I have no idea.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't even you couldn't.
Speaker 1: Possibly it wouldn't look like to be treated worse than gods is being treated now.
Speaker 2: A million times. It could be actual starvation, It could be actual dying.
Speaker 3: Is actually actual gods. So people are dying by the dozen.
Speaker 2: I wish I brought a list of me. I have like fifty two different stories between October and now where verge of famine emmited, mass starvation, almost famine about to start. It's been happening for six months, and prior to this people say it's happening for twenty years.
Speaker 3: Those of children dying, you go by.
Speaker 2: Zero reports, the number is thirty two, and that's the most favorable re reporting the gods and health.
Speaker 3: So that's acceptable for you.
Speaker 2: That's the idea that this place has been starved for decades and we have thirty two? Does the show for you're once again conflating not very that you're not going to answer, which is if Hamas ran Israel, do you think that the truth just worse.
Speaker 3: I don't see the point of speculating about things that.
Speaker 2: Because we have no idea what he said that the idea is worse than Hamas.
Speaker 4: Yes, in terms of the scale of the atrocities that committed, there's no okay.
Speaker 3: So in that case, you about it.
Speaker 2: The United States is worse than Hamas and that basically every single large country.
Speaker 4: Is worth because I think I think the genocidal campaign that Israel is currently engaged in Gaza is kind of unique. It's not it's not commonplace for countries to engage in that level of violence.
Speaker 2: When you mayle or let me, let me just I just want to I just want to know.
Speaker 3: So many things. I'm not chase the ball into different directions.
Speaker 2: It's very clear that you can answer everyone. I am saying so many things. I will ask a very clear question, you won't engage, and then you're gonna yeap about a whole bunch of unrelated stuff like genocital campiates to reader one more time, you're not going to answer. I understand. My very clear question was, if Hamas was in control of Israel and then the IDF in Israel was in control of the Gaza strip in the West Bank, do we think that Hamas, who would now own nuclear weapons and a full military and everything, would they be treating the Jews better or worse than the Jews are treating the Palestinians.
Speaker 4: And my answer is, I don't know. You've mentioned that Hamas has to go. I think these early government has to go by that logic. And the question then becomes what cost would be acceptable to impose on Israeli civilians.
Speaker 3: In order to get the Israeli government out of power? Would you impose starvation and all that? Of course nobody would endorse that.
Speaker 4: Everybody understand that's a completely monstrous idea for a government that has committed far greater atrocities than Hamas has. And then you have the second point of if you want to get rid of Hamas, it might be useful to ask yourself how Hamas came into being, how did they come about, how did they get support? And it's obvious that brutality towards Palestinians is how Hamas came in to being, because they created it literally and it's it's you know, even if you want to leave out the part where nathaniaho Is effectually was effectively indulging their existence as a means of dividing Palestinians Israelly. Politicians have been quite explicit about the fact that they see this as a useful policy.
Speaker 3: To prevent a Palestinian state from existing.
Speaker 4: But Hamas gained support as an alternative to the Palestinian authority that was client that was bending over backwards to try to accommodate Israel. And they said no, no, no, we can get you freedom because we're going to fight.
Speaker 3: And that's how they gain power.
Speaker 4: And if your idea is to defeat Hamas and get them out of power by brutalizing Palestinians even more, that's just completely delusional. Even if you get rid of Hamas as an organization, whatever replaces it, whether they call themselves Hamas or not, you're creating another generation of traumatized people who are going to be desperate for revenge and you're just basically perpetuating conflict.
Speaker 1: If however, that was the point that I was making earlier. Some of the founders of Hamas As children lived through massacres in gods In in the nineteen fifties.
Speaker 2: This is well known. History doesn't justify what they did, but it raises questions about whether or not tactically strategically, those massacres worked to Israel's benefit.
Speaker 1: Now, if you are net Yahoo and you want to divide Palestinians and the extremists are good for you, then it does work to their benefit. But if you're trying to defeat Hamas or the ideology of kind of armed resistance to Israel, and if you really want a two state solutions, and if you really want a solution to this crisis, then why would more cow bell like more violence?
Speaker 2: Why would that? Why would that finally work? I don't think more or less violence will work. There has to try less. We've tried more, not less, hasn't of the entire history of the Palestinian people against Israel since forty eight has been one of violence, NonStop, right, so that the idea that like it's if you're just peaceful for a little bit, it'll fix things. Isn't going to work. The Palestinian people don't want peace, they want justice, and in their mind right now, justice has to do with acquiring some amount of Israel. Now, whether that is the entire irony of Israel into a single state, or whether that's a two state solution again.
Speaker 4: Acquiring parts of Israel. If you're talking about two states, that's acquiring occupied territory that is not Israels and Israel has to withdraw from.
Speaker 3: What do you mean it's not Israels, it does not belong to in international law is extremely clear about the fact that they have to withdraw from that territory. Not extremely it is extremely clear.
Speaker 2: You're going to reference a single advisory of pitten written by the by the UN in two thousand.
Speaker 3: And four resolutions that make absolutely clear.
Speaker 2: That resolution story before we get into the resolutions.
Speaker 1: Since you raised the virtue of the Israeli government, I did want to ask if you had seen the plus nine seven two article on the lavender Ai program. I imagine you saw this, so let me read you a little portion of it. So the IDEF used artificial intelligence to identify hamas members. It used to be that you had to be I think kernel or above to be specifically targeted by an air strike, and you had to be and there had to be some precautions taken to minimize the civilians that you might be around. The IDF after October seventh got rid of both of those precautions. They said, any HAMAS member is now able to be targeted by an airstrike, and civilian casualties don't matter. In fact, maximizing civilian casualties seems to be a feature of the program. I'll just read from this if you can put up the nine to seven two magazine article they're write. During the early stages of the war, the army gave sweeping approval for officers to adopt Lavender's kill lists, with no requirement to thoroughly check why the machine made those choices or to examine the raw intelligence on which they were based. One source stated that human personnel often served only as a quote rubber stamp for the machine's decisions, adding that normally they would personally devote only about twenty seconds to each target before authorizing a bombing, just to make sure the Lavender marked target is male. This was despite knowing that the system makes what are regarded as errors in approximately ten percent of cases, and is known to occasionally mark individuals who have merely a loose connection to militant groups or no connection at all. Moreover, the Israeli armies systematically attacked the targeted individuals while they were in their homes, usually at night, while their whole families were present, rather than during the course of military activity. According to the sources, this was because, from what they regarded as an intelligent standpoint, it was easier to locate the individuals in their private houses. Additional automated systems, including one called Where's Daddy, also revealed here for the first time, were used specifically to track the targeted individuals and carry out bombings when they had entered their families' residences, and a nine to seven to two argues that the reason that you've seen so many women and children killed is that they were identifying men. Sometimes something like ten to twenty percent of men and gods are named Muhammad. If you go through the Ministry of Health list of casualties, many of them have same last names because they're from the same family. So they're using AI to identify a particular man and then follow him to his home and then killing him with a bomb in his home. Oftentimes this is an apartment that doesn't just have his family sleeping there, but also has many other family sleeping.
Speaker 4: There, which is where the whereas Daddy name comes from that program. They wait for them to be with their families, and they think it's easier to bomb them in their homes rather than try to fight them in the field. And the words they're more difficult to find.
Speaker 2: So how could the because of the field, like, so, how could this be worse?
Speaker 1: Try to design I could government that behaves in a worse way than obvious.
Speaker 2: Counter is the numbers don't support the idea that civilians are being targeted in mass It doesn't even come close to it. I've seen estimates at anywhere it's like nine to one for civilian to military dost historically in conflict, and the idea that in the Goaza Strip, one of the most densely populated places on the planet, those numbers right now are depending on who's not supposed to go anywhere from two point five the one to like four to one in terms of civilian too militant deaths. So the idea that people doing wiped out with innocent family members. There just don't seem to be any numbers at all to support that. Something that's also very frustrating is Hamas engages in behavior that has been documented by the UN, by Amnesty International, by other NGOs, that is supposed to induce the death of civilians. I don't know why nobody seems to ever care about this. Hamas and the Goaza strip exclusively fights in civilian clothes. Do you acknowledge that there you don't care Hamas will fight from hospitals? Do you acknowledge that they.
Speaker 3: Don't fight from hospitals?
Speaker 2: What happened with the most recent rate?
Speaker 4: Let me let me okay, so you've actually gone no, no, no, I'm going to address You're gonna.
Speaker 2: Address it because you're not. But so let me just get my f he.
Speaker 5: Said, he doesn't think that they know he's he He just said, no.
Speaker 2: He doesn't. But I just want to go. I just want to just for people listening. I guess one of the frustrating things about asymmetrical warfare is that as law arm conflict has evolved past the nineties, the clubs of the Soviet Union States are having to do more and more funding against non state actors, which is post a huge challenge to the ICJ and the ICCM. Termetime he analyze this conflict and the reason why it's such a challenge is because international law only works if it allows countries to effectively operate so that countries will want to follow it. So international law tries to balance for law of ar conflict two very very delicate things. One is the protection of orstick combat peoples, people that shouldn't be killed ever, and then the other is a state's ability to conduct warfare because we deprive either of these. If you don't protect civilians, everybody dies, and if you deprive a state of the ability to defend it, so nobody follows law arm conflict. The issue with hamas as an asymmetrical opponent is every single behavior that they engage in is meant to induce maximum civilian casualty. That means that they exclusively fight in civilian uniforms. It means that they operate out of civilians supposed to be special protected areas like hospitals. The al Schiafa rate recently is a good example of that. They booby trap corpses, they booby trap houses. This happened a lot of protective edge In twenty fourteen, AMBSSY International reports show that there was footage taken out of Al Shifa Hospital in two thousand and eight. MSCY International are on that that there was an interrogation center in there and we saw captured CCTV footags that showed hostages being brought into Alshiva Hospital. That every that Hamas will store munitions, and they will fight even from zones that are supposed to be declared safe, and they store ammunitions in places like mosques or homes. All of these behaviors are designed from the Hamas perspective to induce the maximum amount of civilian casualties. And then when it happens, nobody has anything to say with Hamas, and everybody has something to say with Israel. Why hasn't Hamas, By the way, these are also considered failures to uphold your duty under an auslaw. Why hasn't Hamas tried to protect the civilian population. All those tunnels they built, they couldn't build one bomb shelter. Why hasn't Hamas tried to set up a humanitarian area? Why is it exclusively on Israel and the international community and Hamas can't do any type of collaboration or cooperation to do it because they don't care, because the goal is to induce the maximum amount of civilian coustus.
Speaker 1: One tiny point out, if they did build a bomb shelter for civilians, Israel would bombit and say that the look they're putting, they're putting civilians.
Speaker 2: And if it would happen, that would be the end of the conflict. Because if there is a civilian bomb shelter built and there were no hostenal resort and Israel that over target at that point, who supports it bombing their bombing entire neighborhood to the hospital.
Speaker 4: You've gone through our lengthy record, allow me to do the same. Actually for just one second. One of the things that you had actually said recently, I think it's on the Comedy Seller podcast, is that it is quite blatant to you, he said, parently obvious that Israel is doing everything it can to protect civilians and cause.
Speaker 2: Them or I don't understand. I think said more than any other country ever has in the history of company. Yes, I think, oh, actually it turns out we do have that, all right. It seems if you engage with it honestly, and I hate to say that's summary parties when you engage with honestly, it seems obvious, like parently obvious, that Israel is doing everything they can to minimize casualties. That it's like undeniable because the numbers would be so much different if they were just indiscriminately bombing or carpa bombing, as everybody says. So, but I mean, they still have to manage the pr aspect because at the end of the day, you know, perception is really the only thing that matters in international communities with other countries.
Speaker 4: So frankly, the claim that Israel's doing everything it can to mini my civilian casualties is by far the single most absurd thing that I have heard Stephen say.
Speaker 3: Period, let me run through the record.
Speaker 2: We target a soldier at his house at night, if that was your goal.
Speaker 4: And with the thing that you mentioned with Lavender, it's specifically, yeah, specifically when they're at home, but beyond that, just if I can run through that record.
Speaker 5: Because one second, so quick, do you stand by saying everything.
Speaker 2: The more basically yeah, more back to more than any other country ever has in the history of all of them.
Speaker 4: Conflict let's run through the record. Human rights organizations who are the objective observers on these situations. Every single one of them, in every subsequent invasion of Gaza, including the current one, talk about Israel engaging in massive, indiscriminate bombing of civilian areas. They talk about flattening and entire neighborhoods. They talk also about deliberately killing civilians who oposed absolutely no threat to Israeli soldiers. They go through and describe these incidents, they raise them with the Israeli military. The real military says, we investigated and we saw that nobody no, nothing wrong happened. And human rights organization's assessment of the way that Israel conducts itself is that it's completely in violation of international law and that their self accountability is a complete cham it's not actually serious. And then you look at what Israeli leaders themselves also say. And by the way, that nine seven to two magazine there was an article there is a one that came before it as well, in which they described that Israeli's policy in Gaza is to basically shock the civilian population by doing massive devastation in civilian areas as a means of putting pressure on Hamas. And that included an example that they listed toppling a high rise residential building without warning on top of the people who are inside it. So that's and that's yeah, that's based on power targets. Is a power target? Yeah, And that's based on interviews with Israeli intelligence officers about Israeli policy in Gaza. And it's long been stated Israeli policy. Frankly, if you look at people like gua Island Israeli general who later became the National Security Advisor in Israel, they talk about the policy being to punish the civilians and to induce so much suffering among them in huge numbers, to put pressure on groups like Hamas and Hezbela. And this is not new here, by the way. During yeah, during the two thousand and six invasion of Lebanon, there is an incident in which Israel dropped a million cluster bombs all over towns and villages in Lebanon, prompting a high ranking Israeli commander to say, quote, this is you can find it on ha Itz. What we did was insane and monstrous. We covered entire towns and villages with cluster bombs. That's how they describe what Israel actually carried out at the time. And then you look at current Israeli statements right now from all of this, Benjamin Attaniajo has been quoted saying in Israeli press again talking about what the strategy is with Ron Drmer, and he said, the strategy is to thin the population in Gaza down to a minimum.
Speaker 3: That's what he actually wants to do. He uses genocidal language like the Amalik, which is a quote from the Bible about murdering the children and babies of your animal.
Speaker 2: Like appears out to the hang the idea that is exclusively.
Speaker 4: And you have then Israeli soldiers themselves, so in case there's a misinterpretation of that, celebrating that they're going to kill Palestinians, Palestinian civilians. They're chanting about the Mlek and how we're going to destroy them. And you have people who are actually posting videos on themselves talking about we're killing them by the tens of thousands.
Speaker 3: Isn't that great?
Speaker 4: So though it's the rhetoric of Israeli soldiers themselves on the ground, then they're caught on tape shooting children in the head when they post absolutely no threat. It happened in Janine, even in the West Bank during this current crisis, where he saw two young children being shot in the head with basically very obviously posing no threat. You saw in Gaza grandmother holding the hand of a young child while carrying a white flag, and they shoot her dead while the child is holding her hand, and the child freaks out and everybody else runs away. You have a pattern that is documented on video of these kinds of crimes. You have American doctors who visit Gaza and talk about the horrors they see in hospital, how there's countless children who come in with single sniper bullet wounds to the head. They can't keep track of how many of these are coming in. And you have the President of the United States describing Joe Biden describing Israeli bombings of Gaza as in discriminate the idea that you can look at this amount of evidence between what human rights organizations are reporting, what Israeli leaders are saying, what Israeli soldiers are posting of themselves, and what the American government's assessment of that bombing is, and to say they're doing everything they can to minimize civilian casualties is just so thoroughly dishonest on behalf of an apartheid government that is committing atrocities before all of us. It's just it's it's mind boggling, Steve. You honestly would have to be either naive to believe that or dishonest.
Speaker 3: And you just don't strike me as an IV guy. You're a very smart guy. I don't understand how you can.
Speaker 2: Actually say its funny because the entire like yep, you just did, is completely destroyed by a single question. How do you explain the numbers? What I would explain the ratio of even what Hamas has claimed, I think, how.
Speaker 4: Many percent women and children? How do you explain that?
Speaker 2: I hold, I'm sorry because for children, we're saying eighteen and under as opposed to the traditionally fighting age is what we would usually talk about in these conflicts. But everything you want bombing is worse than fact that even Hamas admitted. I believe that I think it was seventy five hundred or eight thousand other people.
Speaker 3: Killed with I don't remember what they're exactly right.
Speaker 5: I have an analysis from March twelve, so this is from just Security as of this date, the IDF reported twenty nine thousand air strikes in Gaza. At that date, the number of reported civilian deaths in Gaza was roughly twenty nine thousand, two hundred. The number of Hamas fighters killed in action has been claimed by the IDF and Hamas, both without evidence. The IDF claims twelve thousand fighters killed well, Hamas claims six thousand fighters killed. So we can look at those numbers. Given the demographic data from the Health Ministry. Out of twenty nine thousand, two hundred deaths, about ninety seven hundred were men and the rest were women and children. If the IDEAF claim is true, this is equivalent to every man being killed in Gaza being a Hummas fighter and several thousand women and or children being Hamas fighters. This is extremely unlikely, but to be extremely conservative, I will use the IDEAF reported Hamas casualty numbers. Twelve thousand. You give a lower bound on civilian deaths in Gaza. In addition, we need to subtract deaths that normally happened for this population, So about forty nine hundred deaths per year on average equivalent to about eighteen hundred and four point five month period. This gives us a minimum number of civilian or deaths of approximately fifteen thousand, seven hundred based on twenty nine thousand air strikes. That leads to an approximate an average of fifty four civilians killed per one hundred attacks.
Speaker 2: And just lastly, this.
Speaker 5: Analysis goes on to say, despite the alarm over the high rate of civilian dusts in Raka, one finds the minimum equivalent in Gaza, fifty four civilians killed in one hundred attacks is eight times greater than the air wars based estimate and thirty two times greater than the DoD estimate. And recall that that fifty two numbers a lower bound for the Gaza ratio is likely far higher than this. So, Stephen, do you dispute the validity of those numbers?
Speaker 2: What was the ratio of fighters on the lower bound? What was the ratio of fighters to civilians?
Speaker 5: There?
Speaker 3: They say?
Speaker 2: Did I say Hamas claimed six thousand? Yeah? So of the death told at that time was how much twenty thousand? About nine thousand men total? Say six thousand, And it was twenty nine thousand total deaths.
Speaker 5: Twenty thousand, two hundred total deaths ninety seven hundred were men.
Speaker 2: So that's so if you're taking the the that's the Hamas reported number, you're at one militant to four civilians, and that's for the Hamas reported number. How can the ratio be so new or on a genoside can discriminate campaign against Thomas? Yes, be the case.
Speaker 3: They're doing it again in slow motion to give possible that this is happening. It's obvious. Look, they've destroyed eighty percent of the building.
Speaker 4: They have, they've displayed it, they've displayed they've displaced ninety percent of the population. Can you name any other conflict in which he displays ninety percent of the civilian pop now?
Speaker 2: Because usually they just destroyed them. Do you think it dressden they told the civilians to flee. Do you think in the Tokyo fire bombs sakihiroshim did with all the civilians to leave? Can you can you acknowledge what he just was incredibly fucking stupid that No, they don't sell civilians to leave first. Normally, they just kill them because.
Speaker 3: Because because he thinks, because he thinks that that's a clever line. Let me explain something to you. He's not going to I'm going to acknowledge it. I'm going to acknowledge it.
Speaker 4: Yes, they told civilians to leave and then they dropped massive two thousand bombs on the safe zones that they told the civilians.
Speaker 2: Just want to know the feature or whatever.
Speaker 4: There have been countless incidents of them dropping.
Speaker 3: Now you're just flying.
Speaker 2: I looked it up up all the data on all the safe zones. Four hours of roads they make safe per New York they guarantee travels investigation that attack.
Speaker 4: There's a New York Times investigation and there's an NBC investigation. Both of them document the fact that Israel is bombing safe zones where they tell civilians to flee.
Speaker 2: And isigation hold on, it is.
Speaker 5: Really committed in CNN that intelligence indication that these places were safe houses for commanders of the RAF of a brigade of the Hamas Terra organization. This is back in December about bombing areas that were supposed to be evacuation routes.
Speaker 2: Evacuation routes are not safe zones. There's been one official declared they should shouldn't hams not operate from there? I mean, we're talking again, that's a good question. There's one zone I wish I could remember is that ow, it's ol moah something, it's the beach west of conunits whatever, nobody knows of it. It's this is the only singing.
Speaker 1: Told people to go to conunits would be safe there. Yeah, they did not say.
Speaker 2: The cones would be a safe zone. No, that's absolutely why they tell people to go there. Well, initially because most of the where they concentrate them and kill them there. If why else would they say so?
Speaker 5: Then if you're a Palestinian, are we going to see.
Speaker 2: You're going to see twenty thirty forty fifty thousand deaths soon? Then are we about to see like one hundred thousand Palatines go up to smoke? That's what they're doing. They're hurting them all to one, sent the cities so that they can blow them all. Reason, they were going for pausible deniability. Now you're arning them to one dry kills one a blower.
Speaker 4: Yes, And now they're going to tell them that it's time to relocate because we're going to invade offa Hansen into places where there is no food, water, or shelter and have them.
Speaker 2: And they're going to be and then it's starvation and death like they happened for the past five months.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's going to be I'm going killing right, killing them by the tens of thousands, and saying oops, it's just war. Gauz is unlivable anymore. Too bad, it can't support Palestinian life. People are starving. It's just all an accident that they're giving what.
Speaker 2: They're doing an accident. They're doing it because it's crazy that the numbers are so poor for a country that could kill so many more people you have, but they're constantly they're doing things that no other countries on. Do you acknowledge that no other country does leaflets, phone calls to buildings, roof knocking, sirens. Yes, you you get it, No one, no other countries, human rights organizations. You're not going to answer that. Used you see what countries do it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean literally interrupted before we went in to literally interrupt me to tell me I'm not going to ask.
Speaker 4: You were saying no country has done anything like roof knockings and leafless and all that. And when you look at what human rights organizations say about these, they say they're completely pointless because there's nowhere for these civilians to go that is safe.
Speaker 3: So you can drop a leaflet.
Speaker 4: That's it's it's it's a game and right and like the fact that people like you fall for it. It's it's just kind of really embarrassing you have for the wonderful They tell civilians to flee because here we're going to be so nice and make sure that you don't die, and then when they flee, they kill them as they're fleeing, or they kill them.
Speaker 3: Wherever they.
Speaker 2: If you were a Palestinian, what would you do if you lived and probably go south to the whatever the beach was? I wish the name of it right now, but there's there's been one singularly declared safe area, and it's that beach.
Speaker 3: How many how many plasons you want a crowd into that whatever? That small beach?
Speaker 2: One point?
Speaker 3: How many bathrooms are there? How much water is there?
Speaker 2: If you will thea how about just have Hamas.
Speaker 3: Or is it just the top bombing gus to stop attacking enemy.
Speaker 2: That committed the largest terror attack per capital of the history of industry.
Speaker 3: It's a ridiculous double standard.
Speaker 2: Way hold on, you think it's reasonable to tell Israel, hey, Hamas, I know that you guys like did a little bit of a large terrorism against US and have been, by the way, which is a violation of international law, indiscriminately launching rockets for decades from this and every single one of those is a violation of law because by definition indiscriminate, which by definition fail the distinction principle that is essential to law, are on conflict one of the three problems. So you're saying that Israel needs to allow Hamas to stay there, who has been breaking international law of our conflict are.
Speaker 4: Twenty years as opposed to Hamas along with the Israeli government to stay there when they're breaking international law for even longer than that.
Speaker 3: And I want to put a fine, honestly, I want to get an answer to that. Why is it that you think that the Israeli government having committed all the atrocities.
Speaker 2: Because the Israeli government is a democracy that can be reasoned with. Their neighbors have reasoned with them, people have signed peace agreements, and people have reached agreements with them. The Palestinians have not. And there's a reason, by the way, which you will never recognize, why all of the surrounding Arab states have abandoned the Palestinians too, Because their history has been one of violence that first they've been encouraged by the surrounding nations and used by them, and then now they've been abandoned. What's the other nations?
Speaker 3: That's a racist anti Palestinians?
Speaker 2: What happened to seventies Jordan fifty two? Jerusal to go to work with the reason he's a racist?
Speaker 4: Yes, when he talks about Palestinians, nobody likes them and nobody wants them and nobody whatever.
Speaker 3: Absolutely that's a racist description. Don't this this this distinction between like there's a category of people who are racist category of people who are not.
Speaker 4: I think that's a simplistic thing. What he just described is a racist stereotype. There're absolutely no question.
Speaker 3: I don't want to I don't.
Speaker 2: Want to get them to who he is. To a lot of people that are pro Palestinian, understand the history is if.
Speaker 4: You don't understand that the Egyptian dictatorship is collaborating with Israel to suppress anything that is Muslim Brotherhood affiliated. And that's why the reason they're collaborating against the.
Speaker 2: Are collaborating with the with the Israeli government. When they locked all the Gozzins and the Gouzens, strip and didn't let any of them leave.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, yeah, Steve, you do this thing constantly where you bring up random anecdotes that are completely irrelevant to anything that what I'm too.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry to you. The reason why that wasn't random is because you applied today that the dictatorship in Egypt. First of all, you said dictatorship very loaded. Yes, Egypt's had a history of dictatorships. You're implying that they're collaborated with Israel and a part of unique act, like they're collaborating with his own unique way. And even from forty eight to sixty seven, when Egypt had controlled the Gaza Strip, the Palestines were still locked in.
Speaker 4: And let's be clear about whether we're about something or let me be clear about something right now. This rhetoric, I'm gonna let it go for now. The idea is looking at all the Arabs surrounding our government who are collaborating with Israel. It's signed that they hate Palestinians. When you do opinion polling in any of these countries, all of them, including in Saudi Arabia, the overwhelming majority of the population wants to cut off any talk. They want to isolate Israel diplomatically. They don't want to deal with them. The people of the region absolutely oppose what Israel is doing to Palestinians. And the fact that you can cite a handful of governments in the surrounding area who all effectively belonged to the US orbit and operate under and get tremendous privilege and financial privilege and security privilege for collaborating with the United States, and to try to paint that as some sort of validation that they have anti Palestinian sentiment, I think it is completely ridiculous and ignorant of the dynamics that actually exist in the region, a region that I grew up in.
Speaker 3: By the way, what you have I.
Speaker 4: Grew up in Kuwait, Jordan, Yemen, Oman and the United Arab Emirates, and I visited Palestine on multiple occasions.
Speaker 2: Gotcha, you grew up equated in what years? Was that when Arafat was supporting I was Saddam Hussein.
Speaker 3: I was born in Kuwait in nineteen eighty two, when I lived there until that war, and yes, when Arafat made statements in support of Saddam Hussein, that became the reason why many Palestinians could not go back, which was.
Speaker 2: A really big deal too, which is also funny because those Oslo course would point to Israel not being a good part of for peace. The only reason why those Oslo courts were so horrible is because Arafat was desperately looking for a way back into Palestinian popularity after supporting speaking of Oslo.
Speaker 3: Yes, and you know what was also happening, And the reason why Oslo happened is because while Arafat was looking for a way to get validation as the leader of Palestinians and come back, Israel was dealing with the fact that there is a Palestine uprising, the first into Fada overwhelmingly non violent, in which Palestinians were doing civil disobedience, sometimes throwing rocks at soldiers, and Israel was brutalizing them for a year after year after there were they killed so many of them that the Israeli officials started being concerned about the the optics of it, so they just said, don't kill them, beat them up and break their arms instead. And what you ended up with, and what you ended up with, you have to let me finish my thought every now and then.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and what you ended up with murder the children. Understand we gain.
Speaker 4: They started beating up Palestinian protesters and seeing them brutalizing them and breaking their bones on video, and that ended up being an even.
Speaker 3: Bigger disaster for Israel.
Speaker 4: And they did not know what to do with that civil uprising of people who wanted to be free from occupation, and so they struck a deal with Arafat and brought him in to suppress the Intafada on the fake and false promise that they might grant Palestinians estate. Arafat fell for it, and it was all a sham made to suck the energy out of a genuine Palatinian uprising for freedom and to turn it into the fraudulent Oslo process in which Israel had cover to expand more and more settlements and entrench the occupation under the pretensive peace.
Speaker 3: That's the history of what happened.
Speaker 5: So what could Israel have done after October seventh that would have been and I don't want to ump you into this camp. Some people said, it's about proportionality. What could Israel have done after October seventh that would have either been proportional or given some of the legitimate points that Stephen made about a densely populated area where you have a military and a civilian population crowded into hospitals, et cetera. What could Israel have done? What should they have done after October seventh?
Speaker 4: That would have been a just response, And I promised I'll address that directly, but just on the context that you just described before that you have a situation in which there is it's impossible to have a situation which HAMSS is fighting not in civilian areas. I mean when you talk about the difference in power. One side has a full fledged military, as air force has tanks, Hams can just go out in the field and confront them directly.
Speaker 3: So they do so, they do, so they do. Thank you.
Speaker 4: You'd have to let me finish my sentence right now, and then Steven seriously, like judge try, in the words of Norman Ficklestein tried to have the self possession to just listen.
Speaker 2: A little bit more and then a style of norm be wrong of it everything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you have a situation in which the balance of power makes it so that those militants have to effectively use guerrilla tactics, and grilla tactics involve hiding in civilian areas. That's how that actually that happens. And if you're really upset about that and you think that that's a real problem by all means, arm hamasked, the way you arm Israel and then they can have military on military war and we can spare the Palestine and civilians if you think that's really what's the underlying motivation. But of course nobody would ever consider that we only armed the criminals on one side with massive armaments. Now, on the question of what Israel should have done, there's two separate questions that often get conflated. There's the question of is it a just war to begin with, and then there's the question of proportion.
Speaker 3: And you can imagine if people in Gaza were free and Israel was not controlling their lives and deciding how much food they get to eat and whether they can go and come back, and then some kind of attack happened, you might expect some kind of Israeli retaliation, and and then the only conversation would be about propersonality.
Speaker 4: Are they doing it in a way that is that is defensible, and what they're currently doing is I'm obviously not defensible, to be devastating the civilian population in order to thin that population, by the words of the Israel's leader right now.
Speaker 2: But there's which is it comes from the red line.
Speaker 4: It comes from Israeli press reporting on internal strategic conversations. So yes is really yes israelly media anxiety when.
Speaker 2: Then the population has always had a calorie surplus, even even the diets they literally have. That's why when the famine started, when all the people were moved, I believe it was Unra that made the statement that this is a region that.
Speaker 3: Is super experienced before.
Speaker 2: That's that's also why things got mad because if you really wait, these people are starving by what metric?
Speaker 3: That's fine.
Speaker 4: That's what's so infuriating, Stephen, is that you want to start counting calories and try to discover whether they have a surplus or or not, when you're missing the fact that Israel getting to decide what food gets into gaza is itself outrageous. One people does not get to control whether another side gets to have cookies for their children and you know, potato chips or sodas.
Speaker 3: You don't get to do that. That's the level dominant unacceptable.
Speaker 2: But you're not capable of having it because you won't even admit why the blockade exists, so you don't even deserve to be in.
Speaker 5: What do you want?
Speaker 2: I want to why DoD, Why is the Gaza? Why is our blockade and Gaza?
Speaker 4: When you look at the fact that Israel's preventing cookies from going into Gaza, you know that it's not cookies going in and the rockets filled with Yeah.
Speaker 2: With cookies, Yeah, with sugar and fertilizer.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's how they're going to deny Palestinians and Gaza sugar because it might.
Speaker 2: Be used, you know, back in because he's not I know, how to be clear another time, another thing, you're not gonna admit. You know, why does the blockade exist? It's literally just because you know.
Speaker 3: Mass spiders breathe air too. Maybe Israel can restrict air from going into Gaza to make.
Speaker 5: Sure that are He's saying, then the burdens should be on not to use Palistines have no agency is the language of the You.
Speaker 2: Don't they can't help.
Speaker 3: Don't punish the civilian racist to get that military ones. You don't punish civilian population criminately.
Speaker 2: Shooting ten of thousands of rockets decade after decade into Israel like, what does population like like like selling some of the humanitarian food? Population just want to make picking up tunnels of water pipes and using them to fashion rockets, want to all the international Steve did you? Did you, Stephen? Did you say that Hamas is turning cookies into missiles? I understand the reason for the the reason for the restricting sugar based products was that the first generation, I think there were all cassive rockets were built in really crude shops, using combinations of fertilizer and sugars that they would use.
Speaker 1: You know what the primary component of Hamas, What Hamas explosives is now? I think I'm pretty sure now they use more sophisticated stuff, but unexploded Israeli bombs, because they've dropped so many over the last decade.
Speaker 2: I doubt that's true. I'm sure they do.
Speaker 1: With a ten to twenty percent failure rate. Hamas then digs them up that you've seen one O five's that that you see, uh, you know, blowing up.
Speaker 2: All these Israeli tanks primarily fled, but I doubt the majority of them all.
Speaker 3: There's just more so than.
Speaker 2: Cookies tell you to tell you why it exists.
Speaker 4: I'm going to tell you why the block it exists, and the reason, by the way, why it includes banning cookies and soda pop.
Speaker 2: And potato chips going into the gun.
Speaker 4: No, I'm sure it's it's very funny denying children the ability to eat chocolates and toys because they are Palestinie and not Israeli. That's just so incredibly, incredibly trivial, incredibly the emotional and potatoes.
Speaker 2: It's working just we're two more virtuary signals away. You're free. Palestinian people keep doing this.
Speaker 3: It's you trivializing. If it was the other way around.
Speaker 4: If Hamas was imposing a siege on Israel, which is really children not allowed to do any of that stuff, you would not be sitting here making making a lot of it. It would not be trivial to you, because you understand that Israelis are human beings and their children deserve to eat potatoes, potato chips.
Speaker 3: Jewish people.
Speaker 2: Jewish people live in Arab countries around the world, don't they about the knock the expulsion of live in the West Bank after forty Thank you for the deflection, and I understand.
Speaker 5: You're you're answer about why the blockade exists.
Speaker 2: He's not He's got to do the fiftytography.
Speaker 3: Blockade exists. Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Okay, the blockade exists because they want to punish the civilian population in Gaza as an putting pressure on Hamas they're saying, as long as we have a government in Gaza that does not play ball with Israel the way the Palestine and authority plays ball with Israel on the West Bank, the civilian population is going to suffer as a means of putting pressure on them and getting somebody else to be in power.
Speaker 3: The evidence for that is overwhelming.
Speaker 4: Children's toys were not allowed in at the beginning of the blockade, and when Israel came under intense pressure under the flotilla after the flotilla incident, a bunch of activists tried to basically force medicines to be delivered into the.
Speaker 2: Flotilla incident, there were two of five of the ships were empty, and they were aggressive ships that were designed to fight against the IDEF. When they landed, you realize that footage is available and there's one hundred some people on the deck with chairs throwing Israeli soldiers overboard. Yeah, and when they shift weapons at everything too shift weapons y yeah, I know, well that was all they could bring from Turkey with them, I guess because they were inspecting the boats. But yeah, those were not peaceful activist ships. And how the words if you open more than a Figglestein book and read what actually happened, or watch any of the footage, actually actually they were the part of the fighters or were they Listen to yourself, listen listeners of what you can watch the videos.
Speaker 3: There are people who, yes, fought back when Israel bordered their ship in an act of piracy in international water border. The ship because they don't watch gets to god, there you go.
Speaker 2: Because there's a blockade because they announced.
Speaker 3: Don't you need to announce.
Speaker 4: They don't get to impose that blockade. Absolutely, do no more than Hamaskis to impose a blockade on Israel.
Speaker 3: This is ridiculous. Of course, they don't get to decide what ships could get.
Speaker 5: To go on.
Speaker 2: By the here he's saying that the blockade exists because the Thews are evil to their intentionally.
Speaker 4: That's a despicable thing to say. And not say anything about Jews. I'm talking about the Israeli government policy.
Speaker 2: You can't I'm curious. And the second were submersibles or weapons brought in via that via the water into the Gaza Strip. That happened.
Speaker 3: What are you talking say that, We're talking their weapons.
Speaker 2: That were shipped into the Gaza Strip via the Mediterranean and.
Speaker 3: Plenty of weapons were shipped into Israel as well.
Speaker 2: That's interesting.
Speaker 5: So there was so there is it.
Speaker 2: The egypt has been a partner with Israel in that block this inception as well.
Speaker 3: I've already explained to you why the Egyptian government is interested in for twenty.
Speaker 2: Years, they've just been okay, okay, everybody is a this is This is consistent at least with the history that everybody is collaborators with the West and the world, according to the Egyptian dictators. Everybody.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 4: Also, I just want to say something. I just honestly, there's one thing that I think is really really important. This, you know, just saying the Jews are evil. It's such a despicable line. And let me explain why anti Semitism is a very very serious and rising problem in the country, in many other places around the world, and especially in the Trump years, we've seen these shootings that have happened at synagogues, and everything like that, and you have a situation in which Israel's defenders constantly try to conflate those things. Is that you ignore the fact that there is a significant portion of the progressive young American Jewish population that is opposed to Israeli policies. And every time you criticize Israeli policy, people say, oh, you're attacking.
Speaker 3: Jews, And that's exactly what you just did.
Speaker 4: And it's not just harmful to people like me who get smeared by that accusation, completely baseless and really ugly and detestable, but it's also yeah.
Speaker 3: Of Omar, thank you, thank thank you, thank you for that. That's wonderful seculation.
Speaker 4: But it's also actually harmful to Jewish communities themselves that are trying to protect themselves from anti Semitism. To constantly trivialize that charge that you throw it around at anybody who is critical of Israeli policy, anybody who thinks that Palophonians are human.
Speaker 3: Beings who deserve to have rights. You water that charge down so much when you love it all around that real anti Semites get more room to breathe and operate because that charge doesn't mean anything. So even if you enjoy smearing people like me and people who defend Palophonians, that's fine. But if you have any part of you that actually cares about Jewish people in this country, I would strongly advise you to stop throwing that smear around at people, because okay, I'll.
Speaker 2: Do my virtual signs situated yours. I gotta ask an interesting question on my way up here from the is It Max Mac producer Mac not or Not? Max Mac ask me why I was so interested in this conflict. And one of the things that I think is so sad is I think of all the things that I've ever looked at my entire life, this is one where you can pick and choose facts from one side and you can build the most compelling anti Palestinian argument, or you can build the most compelling anti Israeli argument. And I don't think I've ever seen anything where you can have such a one sided telling of the history as I have for this particular conflict. I think the really sad thing here is that I think that there are really good criticisms that can be made of Israel. I think they're really good criticism you can make of their past policy. And I think that the story of the Palestinian is an incredibly empathetic one. I think that there are reasons why you could support violence in forty seven, violence in forty eight, wars in sixty seven. I think you can support all of these things from a really empathetic understanding place. But the issue is that both sides are so invested in telling their story and making money and making videos and making whatever off of their particular side of things that you never will ever, ever, ever ever have that conversation. So, for instance, this is why identifying root causes is so important when we talk about the blockade. The blockade exists because during the set into Fada, there was a lot of weaponry that came in to Gaza from the Mediterranean and from Egypt. This is a problem that Egypt recognized, the problem that Israel recognized. That's why the blockade existed. Especially after the Palestinian authority was not able to bring Hamas under control and Hamas gain control of that region, Israel said, well, fuck this, We're going.
Speaker 3: To one point. I don't want to drupt you. Just there's one thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So when before the flotilla incident, they were not allowing certain food items from going in and children's toys.
Speaker 2: There's two thousand and eight, righteh, we're talking about right, yeah.
Speaker 3: But I want you to explain to me.
Speaker 4: And then after that incident that Israel came under pressure, they started allowing a little bit more humanitarian stuff to go into Gaza.
Speaker 3: Is that because Hamas stopped being a threat to Israel?
Speaker 4: Or is that because those humanitarian goods are actually not a threat and Israel did not give a shit about them anyway, apart from wanting to punish them.
Speaker 2: My guess would be is probably because the Israeli restrictions were too much, and they probably could have calmed the fuck down. Right now, Israel is in the position that it's in because Israel thinks that they can maintain an indefinite status quo and more or less slowly annexed the West Bank. That's Israel's goal. The problem with this conflict has always been that Israel wants to fight forever, because the longer they fight, the more of the West Bank they get to annex. The only reason the Abraham Accords happened was because it was to stave off annexation of the West Bank. And the problem is that while Israel wants to continue fighting to gain more and more. People like you have deluded Palestinians. Anything that they fight, they can gain more and more too. Only one side, only one side of Paliestate. Whatever that means, Okay, only one side in its conflict.
Speaker 3: What does it mean to you Palestinian?
Speaker 2: There are a lot of people became Palestinian after we're depending on what the conflict is. So I don't know what that means. I don't really care that much. The idea that the idea that both sides can continue to fight only serves one side, and that's the Israeli side. The longer the Palestinians continue to fight, the more the Israels is going to get because the reality is is the Arab states around them are bored. They don't want to fight. The leadership doesn't want to fight anymore, not going to they did at one point, which is I think the most tragic thing is that Palestinians were a tool of the surrounding Arab states to fight with Israel. And that's the most they ever cared about. Why, that's why, that's why if you go to these surrounding countries and you ask, that's crazy. There are so many Palestinian refugees here, I wonder why they don't like takingny of them in as like actual citizens. And the reason why is because in the Arab States you're not allowed to. They don't give citizenship to those people because they use them as a tool to fight with Israel, and that's why they're not even allowed to do it. They're banned from actually giving citizenship to end these palatina. So even the whole refugee crisis is inflated more than it should be. But the issue is that when you look at these sides and you go to criticize the policies, Okay, I bring it back to the blockade. That blockade existed because weapons were coming in to the Gaza Strip via the ocean, via the land routes. So if that's the reason why the blockade came in here is I think that you can make an incredibly powerful argument that listen net and Yahoo. If you want to destroy Hamas, that's fine, but one of the conditions of eliminating Hamas has to be the lifting of the blockade, because with Hamas gone, your justification for the blockade is completely and totally non existent in my world. In your world, the blockade never leaves because the only reason is there is to punish Palestine citizens. So if you're constantly screaming in a government, hey you need to take this blockade away because you just hate Palestinian people, why would they never remove it. There's absolutely no desire to. There's no reason to. Why would they. But if the argument is, well, we said that the blockade existed because weapons were going into a hostile administration. Well, now that that hostile administration has gone and we allowed you to remove it at great cost both to infrastructure and civilian life, Well now we can say, hey, they're gone, you have to lift the blockade. Now there's no justification for it. So we have a real analysis of what's going on, we can levy legitimate criticisms, and we can look for legitimate solutions. But if the arguments are delusional, that Israel is here indiscriminately murdering tons of people because they're evil, or because they hate Jews, or or they hate Palestinians or hate Arabs or whatever, or they're racist or is homophobic, there's no solution to be had because because in your world, the hatred runs so degres it's intractable.
Speaker 5: Crystal's look stick just full over.
Speaker 2: That's always really fanny.
Speaker 4: So this is it's funny some bits of that narrative. Actually we're kind of like close to reality. But just let me let me fix a couple of things for you. First of all, if you're saying that a precondition for lifting the seed is that Hamass has to not be in power anymore, you have that backwards. The occupation of Gaza existed before Hamas was created. The occupation created Hamass.
Speaker 2: Wait when the blockade wasn't since the occupation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean the occupation is felthy to and they replaced the occupation with the siege. That's what they did.
Speaker 2: And the blanket started like two thousand and five.
Speaker 3: Yes, so they withdrew.
Speaker 2: It's been occupied since forty eight.
Speaker 3: It remains exactly.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 3: Gaza has been occupied since nineteen sixty seven, nineteen forty eight. What are you talking about? Israel took over Gaza nineteen sixty seven.
Speaker 2: Who took over in nineteen forty eight? The Egyptians did, Yes, so it was occupied by the Egyptians.
Speaker 3: This okay, See this is the I know you don't like to talk about.
Speaker 2: That because it's not convenient, but that's true. It wasn't a Palestinian state, right, who cares? The point is who cares the Palestinians where they had a fake government for one year that was recalled to Cairo and immediately let they became a training bard for Fettiyi.
Speaker 4: Let me, let me then call for an end to the Egyptian occupation of Gaza to oh wait, it ended great. So now let's talk about the Israeli occupation of Gaza. It started in nineteen sixty seven, it has continued, and all Israel did is withdraw settlers out of Gaza and replace that settlers on the ground with an occupation from the outside. That's why nearly every international organization still considers Gaza occupied, even after they with drew settlers then placed it under occupation, according to just about every UN agency that you just the list goes on in human rights organizations as well. And so the idea then that you need something to change and that Israel would lift the siege in Gaza. Frankly, if Nataniahu Caven said to Hamas, if you agree to no longer be in power, We're gonna let Gaza be completely. You can have an airport, it can have a seaport, you can just like have the population live. I suspect Hamas might actually be up for that. In fact, they would consider it a feather on their cap. They can say, see, we've delivered something for you.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, but they won't even go to a permanent ceasefire.
Speaker 4: What would you think that it's changed for Israel ending the devastation of Gaza there they've offered it a million times to release all thestages. Yeah, it's it's it's they've offered it repeatedly, and it's kind of funny.
Speaker 2: It'll me to be clear, you're saying that if Israel said they would end the blockade, that Hamas would step down if.
Speaker 4: They were to leave Gaza. Absolutely, I think that I would actually.
Speaker 2: Are you sure that? Are you sure that the claim isn't that they need to have a ten year truce or that they need to recognize a two states.
Speaker 4: This is them as a governing body early on, when they were signaling that they're actually interested in in in moderating.
Speaker 2: Two thousands. This was before they attempted to coop a boss's palastinia to throw the pill in the West Bank, before the attempted coup.
Speaker 3: You don't know what you're talking about. It's so incredible.
Speaker 4: There was an attempt actually a driving Hamas out of power that they then flipped and pushed the Palistina and authority out as part of a plot that is documented.
Speaker 3: I think it was vanity fair.
Speaker 2: That's true. But you're talking about two thousand and five, and they were there was going to be internet sport for tod yes to the Palastini thirt to the West Bank a few years later when they right after they announced their unity.
Speaker 3: It's great that you've done some reading and you can throw out random factoids, but please.
Speaker 2: It sucks with the history, Like please try to listen to what I'm saying to you so you can actually understand. I'm broken bones.
Speaker 3: Yes, Okay, I'm not.
Speaker 5: I'm not.
Speaker 3: I'm not trying to throw up random facts that I've read.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to explain something to you, and I really hope they would actually just make an effort to.
Speaker 3: Listen to what I'm describing.
Speaker 4: There was an effort by Hamas at the time to try to moderate and how that Micheald wrote a piece in the Washington Post here in the US talking about how, you know, we don't like the idea of a two state solution. But if we put it to our friend themnt Palestinian want it, will accept it and whatever. There's all kinds of stuff signs. And what Israel did is put a suffocating blockade on Gaza and said you have to denounce renounced violence.
Speaker 3: Even though Israel does not renounce violence.
Speaker 4: They said, you have to recognize Israel even though Israel does not recognize Palestine. And they said you have to stick by all previous agreements, even though Israel was obviously not sticking to any agreements they had made with Palestinians in terms of just clearly entrenching the occupation left and right at every opportunity. And so Hamas said, no, those are not acceptable demands, and that's how we ended up being stuck in this situation where Hamas's refusal to accept whatever Israel wants to meet out to them is the reason why that blockade got entrenched and intensed and became more and more punishing as a means of trying to place more political pressure on Hamas, and the idea that now if only Hamas would agree to X y Z, then everything would be great in Gaza.
Speaker 3: There's just no reason to believe that because the occupation and what Israeli military officials and security officials and political officials were talking about when they actually withdrew Gaza was very transparently a plot to deny Palestinian statehood. That they're saying this is a strategic move that will be useful for them.
Speaker 1: Said, you said as much as yourself that the Israel's goal is to prolong the conflict so they can continue to and.
Speaker 3: So he's right about that.
Speaker 5: Well, so what are acceptable terms now? I mean, there are ongoing negotiations happening right now. What should acceptable terms be.
Speaker 2: Right for the end of the conflict or for the actual resolution of the Israeli Palestinian conflict, for the end of the conflict. For this one, Hamas has to go. Ideally the hostages would come back, but I don't even know if we know how many are alive at this point. I think that Israel initially wanted forty and now they I think turned it down to thirty three because they don't think they're enough alive that even meet the conditions that they have. But yeah, Hamas needs to go. I imagine my understanding is Israel still wants to go into Rafa right. I think they've They've reiterated as much I supported. I think Hamas needs to go. I think that's hopefully they do it without great costs of simay in life. But I think, yeah, Hamas has to leave. But I would hope that after Hamas has gone, I think that Israel has to change their approach to the area. I think that Israel right now is on the verge of a very strange existential threat where they're getting consumed by their own I don't know if I would say fear or just they need to In the early history of Israel, the reason why Israel was able to thrive so much and make friends of the West and win wars against the warring Arab states is because they had two arms of military and diplomacy that they wielded both incredibly effectively. Israe was one of the first nations to identify the United States as an important emerging power and to try to win favor with them, like they did a lot diplomatically and a lot militarily. But I think ever since peace with Egypt, Jordan, the abram I think that Israel is just like now, they don't care. They're just going to try to maintain a status quo indefinitely because on a military level, they're really not threatened anymore. They pretend that it's always an existential threat when it comes to conflict, but that's not true. Has Belah, the Huthis and everybody in the Gossa Strip can invade all at once and Israel in battom away. It's not a huge deal. The existential threat I think that Israel phases now is a political one, is a diplomatic one because of the situation. The status quo is not tenable and the conditions are not to Mber seventh were entirely I don't want to say like completely foreseeable, but like, what do you think is going to happen if you're continuing this status quo over and over and over again. And then the really funny thing is we talk about we're so obsessed with the They're trying to ethically cleanse the Gazza Strip. They want to kick Palestiness out of count Jews don't care about the Gaza Strip. They want to kick people out of Judereica, Juda and Samaria. That's what you just really care about. It's that encroachment into the West Bank and we're not even talking about that anymore because everybody thinks that apparently they want to put settlements back on the Gaza Strip, which historically Israel's never even cared about. So yeah, I mean Hamas has to go. I would hope that the blockade and the conditions are lessened there, but there has to be huge pressure on Israel and the Palestinians. There has to be huge pressure on both sides to reach some peaceful, long term agreement because until that happens, I mean, it's just going to happen over and over and over again. It's in nobody's surprise.
Speaker 4: So just when we speak about hostages, I think it's important to note that Israel rounded up tens of thousands of Palestinians, at least thousands, I don't want to say to tens of thousands, but thousands of them after October seven. They are being brutalized in Israeli detention facilities. Dozens of them have been killed, many more have required amputae, and the reports of the torture, of the sexual abuse. All this stuff is happening, and you don't get a fraction of attention to Palestinian hostages being held by Israel compared to the conditions that Israeli hostages are enduring in Gaza, which are unknown. And on top of that, you have an Israeli policy of insisting on this path of vengeance in which they have killed infinitely more Israeli hostages than they have rescued, and to continue down this path. It's quite obvious that the Israeli government and NATANIELO himself does not give a crap about Israeli hostages. So just keeping that in the back of mind now when we're talking about peace, and it's funny. The reason why I wanted to point out that you've said a lot of things that are actually correct, but you're just kind of like missed a key part of it is that, yes, the longer this conflict goes, Palestinians do lose more and more, and Israel sees that as an advantage. Every day the conflict goes on, they get to take more and more of the West Bank, they get to entrench their control of it. And that's why we desperately need an intervention. And if Israel's not going to do it itself, you need it from the outside the way to defeat Hamas. If we're serious about not wanting Hamas to be in power. It's extremely simple. Give Palestinian a path to freedom and they will take it, rather than be driven by despair into supporting groups that insist on doing it the most violent way possible. The truth is Palestinians tried it with a marcher return, They've tried it with negotiations with Israel. They've gone to the UN. The US keeps vetoing every UN resolution that is critical of Israel. They've gone to the International Court of Justice, the ICC. The US keeps putting pressure on the ICC and had to prosecute Israel for crimes. And then when people try to do international solidarity in boycotts, people call that economic terrorism. And you have American politicians trying to pass laws. Just every single method of resistance has been completely quashed, and civil disobedience in Palestine was extremely common against the apartheid barrier that Israel's building throughout the West Bank, and all these people are basically just end up languishing and is reeally prisons.
Speaker 3: You've left Palestinines no avenue.
Speaker 4: And if you want to be serious about defeating more radical organizations that are committed to violence, all you have to do is give Palestinians a path to freedom that does not pushed them in the arms of people who insist that fighting is the only way that has to be stopping US military funding for the Israeli occupation. This occupation is illegitimate, it's indefensible. It's clearly intended to be permanent, and Taniyajo has said so. The way it appears on the ground is not some kind of like temporary thing. We're just holding off until every day they're taking more and more of the West Bank.
Speaker 3: That is what they're doing.
Speaker 4: They're demolishing Palestinian homes, they're pushing Palestinians out of certain areas that Israel wants, just the entrenchment of it. We're watching it unfolding, and there should not be another penny spent in support of the Israeli military until that occupation comes to an end. And that's how you can put Israel finally in a position where they have an incentive to start negotiating in good faith, seeing Palestinians as equal human beings.
Speaker 1: Paradoxically, I think that that actually would be a boost to Israeli society because under the current Israeli politics, you have some who say, we need to compromise. You know, we live here, they live here, We're all going to live here, you know, for hundreds of years. We need to come to some deal. And then you have a faction in Israeli society that says, no, we don't because we have on conditional US support militarily and politically, so we'll we can just permanently quote unquote manage the conflict. And voters look at that and they say, well, it's true the US does unconditionally support, so why should we actually you make any compromises, And it has driven them into this this cul to stack that is potentially suicidal for the entire project.
Speaker 2: I think the issue is that people don't realize that the way that Israeli opinion flipped so hard on peace for Palestinians was after the Second Antefada that completely mind destroyed so many Israeli people. When they saw so many Palestinians across the entire country engaging in violence against Israeli people, a lot of them were like this is like this is apparently these people just don't ever want peace. After that, I think that that's when you saw the government start to shift a lot to the right, and the issue is that you just it doesn't feel like there has been that Palestinian leader that's been ready to come up and actually make brave concessions or strong concessions, because every deal with the Palestinian feels like a concession was not all of Israel. I just don't think Palestinians all.
Speaker 4: The occupied territory is just to be technically which the West Bank, Gaza and East Jerusalem the internationally recognized occupied territories that Israel has to withdraw from. That's what Arafad has said, and that's what Abasa said. I'm a fan of neither of these men, but they're not the obstacle to peace. They made very clear that they would accept the deal if Israel actually ended the occupation in Israel.
Speaker 2: Never accepted a deal. Of course, he has no deal. There are no deals on the table. The deal are the table deals left on the table where the policinems like we would just have accept I.
Speaker 4: Happened to be familiar with a private conversation between Bill Clinton and somebody that I know, an advocate, in which Bill Clinton said that Arafad just kept saying, twenty two percent is my offer, and Bill Clinton had no idea what he was talking about, and the person who was talking to him explain to him, twenty two percent is the percentage of the land that is illegally occupied by Israel, Arafad was telling you. And the occupation of the West Bank Goz in East Jerusalem. That was the counter offer repeatedly.
Speaker 3: In Israel has never it has what do you It's the entire basis of the peace process.
Speaker 2: That was not two thousand, No, absolutely now that they verified in nineteen in the late eighties recognized Israel.
Speaker 4: So he effectively conceded Israel on seventy eight percent of historic Palestine as legally defined, yes, yes, and Israel then if well, if you wanted to call his bluff, all you have to do is end the occupation and see what happens. But Israel didn't. Israel entrench the occupation. That's the pattern. And you're also missing something about the regional dynamic. You're talking about the Abraham Accords and all of that. Just to be clear, the entire Arab world. First, it was Saudi Arabia put on the table something called the Arab Peace Initiative effectively and the occupation.
Speaker 3: It'll get recognition from US. Nope, and then wait, what was.
Speaker 2: The huge part? Wait, what was the huge part of the Arab peace initiative? You're not bringing up there?
Speaker 3: You tell me.
Speaker 2: It was the infinite right of return for every single Palestini refuge You're confused about the negotiating No, no, no, that's a non negotiable. That was one of the reasons. Why why why the after Camp David or missing, after the Clint parameters, after Taba Summit. That was the stamous leak in rejection of the Clint parameters where they said, as negotiators will never give up your ran of era.
Speaker 3: You are want what was offered?
Speaker 4: What was offered in that Rapeace initiative? First of a Saudium that it became the ar League. It said a just resolution to the Palestinian refugees, which is always and that phrasing, No, it has not always meant that that phrasing was specifically designed. When we talk about a two state solution and a just resolution to the refugee issue, it's not saying and the full ride of return that is considered a Palestinie compromise, like many Palestinians are unhappy with it. On the grounds that it doesn't say the full riud of return. It only since it is a just resolution, one one in which it's understood that you would allow for a two state situation to happen, means Israel recognizes that they drove those Palestinians out, a small symbolic number gets to return to Israel proper, and then the majority of them end up in a Palestinian state.
Speaker 3: That was the loose.
Speaker 2: Formula that if you look at it was offered in two thousand that it was not what was offered into that literally was there was an international fund that is what was going to contribute to. There was some number I saw anywhere from ten to one hundred thousand. I don't know what the actually was. There some number that.
Speaker 3: There always entered the occupation. That's basically what Palestinians had been asking for.
Speaker 4: And if you look at actual details of it, and I'm happy again to tweet about it afterwards'm happy to send you all the links that you need, that was what the Latian official position was.
Speaker 3: Actually.
Speaker 1: Let me just respond to one of the things that the point that you made earlier in the form of a question that a lot of people I've seen it out there, So I think it's worth kind of trying to answer directly, said, it can't be a genocide because they've only killed thirty three thousand people. You know, if they wanted to do a full genocide, they have the capacity, they have the bombs.
Speaker 2: To kill all two million plus people.
Speaker 5: So a argument, but five of their population, right.
Speaker 1: Why wouldn't they do it? And so one you'd say, well, thirteen thousand children far too many. But you know, more more importantly than that, you would say they they've killed the number that they can sort of get away with at this point.
Speaker 2: But the goal is not killing in death.
Speaker 1: The goal is domination and the ethnic cleansing of the region, the clearing out, the thinning out of the population. And so you don't actually need to kill two million Palestinians if you can drive hundreds of thousands of them to their countries.
Speaker 2: If you're talking about genocide, you have a genesip with one hundred people. Theoretically, the number of people killed isn't important. The intention is important. But it's hard to make an argument for genocide. Setting aside genocide, Oh sure, well, I mean like the attacks happened in response to that, would that would be the answer to the question, why haven't they killed more?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I guess, but the problem is just absent. Any there just isn't strong. It's the weirdest genocide ever. If you're dropping leaflets saying, hey, flee to the south, most of the military tip is going to come to north, or hey, we're working with fifty two organizations. Try to open up boarders is generally in the south. Why why did they bomb the north? Everywhere? No amass like military strongholder has always been the South. Why did they go to the thought there were literally nine hundred people that they happened to this, by the way, what happened to that three story, three D rendering of a command center that we saw under a Schiffa hospital, the one with the you mean the one where they released the footage of the massive tunnel the bomb shelter.
Speaker 1: There are tunnels, yeah, in Gaza, But where was the command center we're all told existed.
Speaker 2: I don't When you're saying command center, are you looking for like a one? I'm not the one that intelligence has corroborated everything that is real said and they said they arrived at Oh that's nice of it was intelligence. Well, listen, if you can believe Russias instead of the United States, I can't. I can't help hold on if you want to believe paul On. Actually wait, I'm curious if Hamas were to make a statement about a particular thing, would you believe that more than the United States? And the idea of corroborating their statements? Who would you believe more on that?
Speaker 3: I don't think you can trust either of them.
Speaker 2: That's why you look, you think it's equal amounts of trust.
Speaker 3: I think yes, that's about distrust.
Speaker 2: That's unbelievably because because we believe governments generated hold on, who do you trust then? For your for a third party verification?
Speaker 3: Human rights organizations were re report.
Speaker 2: Things from the idea f and from Hamasy.
Speaker 3: Look, and they do independent investigations as well, and they do comparison.
Speaker 2: They're independent investors. Have you ever read how they actually come up with the numbers. They'll call a hospital and say, what's your list of people that are dead? And then they look at the register and they go, oh, well, it seems like the names exist, and then they write it. That's it.
Speaker 4: It's the same thing that you do with polling and population counting and stuff. You take samples, and based on that you extrapolate. You can't go and investigate every single last thing that happens.
Speaker 2: Doing sample working all that that would be interest. That's not what they do. If you read how these engines actually then they include their methodlogyally you can read it. They'll say we contact they'll say this has been third party investigator. Hamas has ten thousand. But also these guys actually third party verified. And then when you read their methodology, say we contacted the gods and help indistry and that they told us as.
Speaker 3: Like you know, I mean, always interesting.
Speaker 4: And you know what's really interesting is that every time the human rights organizations try to go and investigate, Hamass says, we welcome a full investigation, and vidital like government tries to block human rights organization.
Speaker 2: They welcome a full investigation. This is when this is an internationally. Are there to interview people and they say, some of them are kind of nervous to talk to us. Why isn't a mass opening our gives so that we can externally validate what's going on?
Speaker 3: That nonsense? Use pew is just what did I just say?
Speaker 2: That was nonsense.
Speaker 3: Hamas has reported on multiple occasions that they have basically verified the credibility of the people who are talking to them that they are talking to because they have been willing.
Speaker 4: To criticize Hamas and say, we disagree with Hamass doing, we disagree with the firing or prockets.
Speaker 3: They are brutal, they are repressive.
Speaker 4: So they talked to Palestinians who are perfectly willing to criticize Hamas for being terrible. But then they say, but it's not true that they were hiding in our house or used human shields or whatever. So that's how you know that when you compare those narratives, it's these really narrative that is completely baseline.
Speaker 2: Do you acknowledge it? I have somebody that real quick you acknowledge that AMST International has said that they store munitions in houses. I'll take on to that. I'll take on to that. So very important.
Speaker 5: This is from earlier this month, an interrogation of an Islamic Jahad fighter. And I'm genuinely curious. This is not a leading question at all asked by the interrogator of the Islamic israelly interrogator of the Islamic And that's why I'm asking. Yeah, in Israel's attention torture asks which hospitals Islamic, Jahad and Hamas operate in. He says, all of the hospitals now omar to Ryan's point, what's your response, Yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Mean just when you look at the levels of torture that happened inside Israeli, the detention, it's just you can't take anything in base value of what comes out of any confessions that come out from people are being interrogated by Israel, and so that to me is completely meaningless. Yes, if you put me in his really interrogation center on my also confessed to whatever the hell these were the military?
Speaker 2: Do you acknowledge that Al Shifa Hospital was inhabited by a fun ton of fighters a month ago when they did that massive in.
Speaker 3: Habit of buy a ton of fighters? I think I can't verify.
Speaker 5: And they were not inhabited by any fighters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there were nine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And there were there were mass graves and near the unless or hospital that were filled with people who are wearing.
Speaker 2: One set where people have been buried there four months earlier.
Speaker 3: They're hands tied behind their back, zip tied. Can you can you explain to me what threat people who.
Speaker 2: Have zero actual and totally by people that were Geolocator is an ocent account on Twitter that like has looked at a ton of videos. You can go and you can look through every single video.
Speaker 3: Two is who debunked those?
Speaker 2: Is that is that we're doing to buy a Twitter account? You can look at all the videos yourself. If you don't, you don't trust the id F, You don't trust the United States, you don't who do you trust?
Speaker 4: And trust human rights organizations whose job is to investigate these things.
Speaker 2: I don't think any human rights organizations said one percent we found Ala zero.
Speaker 4: They can't say it's one percent because Israel will not let them in and they can't actually go on.
Speaker 2: Ad INURR act ward zone for Al Shifa? Do you acknowledge that there was a huge two week fight there between the IDF and militants, Yes.
Speaker 3: Near Alzhiva Hospital.
Speaker 2: I think there was a fight and Al Shifa hospital.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I don't know that it was inside the hospital.
Speaker 4: Certainly there were there were horror stories of what was happening inside the hospital.
Speaker 2: Two weeks fight. You think there were civilians there are two weeks.
Speaker 5: There's a very clear, I think disconnect here. That is probably a good point to start getting to, not start getting to. But like if we want to wind down here, Stephen, you said that Palestinians fundamentally don't want peace. It sounds to me also Omar, like you think fundamentally the Israeli government as it is right now does not want peace. I think we can both agree that there's civilians in the Palestinian territories and in Israel that would like to live in peace.
Speaker 2: Can I can? I mean, just real quick, if I've said that it's not peace. Nobody wants peace. That's a thing that we say in the West because we have no concept of what anybody's looking for. People want justice. Right in Ukraine, they could end the war right now for peace, but they want their territory. They want justice. Palestinians could say, listen, we're going to go with the whatever plan where we're broken up into twenty enclays and of peace. They don't want peace. They feel like they've been expelled from their homelands with international support or for no reason. They want justice. So to be clear, you want justice, right, they don't want peace? Yes? Well, what does the MLK quote, like the White Matter one that says where some people prefer an uneasy peace or whatever, to an uncomfortable tension or whatever. There's there's ways to make things peaceful, but people want more than that on both sides, and they should.
Speaker 1: I just think that, and I think it's you in the end agree with the point that I was making, because I haven't heard a counter to it, that the way to defeat the ideology of Hamas is through peace, not through war.
Speaker 2: It's a Now I will sound racist. I don't want to sound racist. There's a fundamental misunderstanding of the way that Arab states and Arab people in the Middle East view Jews and Israel. And to just assume that being peaceful as then there is a whole mythos, a whole telg This would have been super fascinating to listen to Finkelstein expand on if he was capable of more than insults and atoms. But there is a completely and totally different retelling of history from that region, if from the eighteenies and onwards, and as long as those histories are separate from each other, there is no reconciliation that can ride.
Speaker 1: I shouldn't even take this seriously. But if Arabs are just fundamentally racist, wait, hold on, I just I mean the citizens that live in these places. If the citizens that live in these places are just fundamentally racist, why is it the case that when peace is close at hand, support for hamas and armed resistance plummets. Because I think that if they're fundamentally just opposed, fundamentally, when they.
Speaker 2: Look at Israel and the Jewish people there, the view.
Speaker 1: From a lot of Arabs is why does their view change when peace gets wouldn't one of the opposite if they fundamentally just want to fight with Israel, wouldn't they actually be more blood thirsty as peace approached. Yet, opinion polls consistently show that support for armed resistance plummet as peace becomes more possible. That is the reverse of what would happen if they were fundamentally a violent There's two things.
Speaker 2: The one you said it correct earlier that even though countries have foreign peace, a lot of the Arab sance countries still don't like Israel and still don't like the Jews. So that's one thing that even through peace, that opinion has remained consistent. You said that that it's.
Speaker 1: True chomping the bit to normalize with Israel. What these Arab countries are chomping at the bit to normalize. You're going to say it's the leaders.
Speaker 3: That's true in your case. Also, the contradiction is quite palpable.
Speaker 4: Which is on the one had everybody in the regions just fed up with the Palestinians and they're just eager to make peace with Israel, And now.
Speaker 3: It's like the problems that the people in the region just don't like Jews.
Speaker 2: No, which one is it? Well, it's it's both. I think that over time, sure, So one is sometimes brave leaders are the people that are needed to make progress towards peace. This might come in the form justice or peace, towards justice, whatever, towards like.
Speaker 1: You haven't answered that question though, which when when peace becomes closer. In the moments where there's news that a deal is getting closer, yes, support for armed resistance among Palestinians goes down. Agree, that's the reverse, yes, of what would be the case if they just fundamentally hated Jews and just wanted violence And you have that.
Speaker 2: We've heard the teas apart. When I say that they fundamentally have these opinions, I don't mean that they want to fight and go to war. Forever. I'm just saying that there is an Arab mythos around Jews that all of them basically believe in in terms of they're in the European transplants that have unlimited support from the West for whatever action they want to do, and they don't belong there, and then there's like a different telling of historical events that have happened. That doesn't mean that he's impossible. It doesn't mean that there's not ways to work out. We've seen peace of treaties have happened. They just require very strong leadership and sometimes those leaders even have to pay the price. So for instance, when Saddat made peace with Israel, he was assassinating because they thought it was a Western sellout like and it happened to the to the Israeli leader as well, who was also assassinated for by a fariziois for that peace deal. So peace is possible, It just it takes really strong, great leadership. It Arafat was never that leader. You should feel that especially.
Speaker 3: Certainly was not a rejectionist. That's fine here, what I want to test.
Speaker 5: To Omar for closing thoughts, and then we'll go back to you, Stephen.
Speaker 3: Sure Omar.
Speaker 4: All right, So when we talk about just just set up the regional dynamic real quick, you have the region in general. The people of the region are extremely furious by the way Israel treats Palestinians. That is the primary reason behind the hostility that exists towards Israel is because people see day in and day out on their TV sets what is happening. Unlike in the United States, where you can barely see that kind of thing on mainstream media. Al Jazeera does broadcast what Israel is doing to Palestinians, and they get a very very clear and accurate view of what Palestinians are suffering under. And so the people in the region are in solidarity with Palestinians against that brutal occupation, against their displacement, the ethnic cleansing and slow motion that happened and in some cases not a slow motion in particular periods in Israel's history. And they see this fundamental injustice day in and day out, on that level of racism, and they're enraged by it. But you also have a lot of governments in the region that are US clients. They're on the US team in the blue sense of the word, and This is uncomfortable for them. They want this conflict to end because they would rather be on better terms with Israel and the United States. They want that dynamic to end, and so they also want this conflict to end, which is why we had things like the Arapeace initiative. They want to see just an end to the occupation. Just give the Palestinian something, can we please like make this work? And Israel faced that with complete and total rejection over and over again, because you have the political end of the political spectrum within Israel right now is just completely off the charts. Yes, you have some super progressive marginal leftists in Israel. You've got the Palestinian citizens of Israel who serve in the Israeli Knesset and so on, and they have.
Speaker 3: No power effectively in Israeli society.
Speaker 4: And the bulk of it ranges from the Nataniaho Bank Veer coalition, which is stomp Palestinians until no end, brutalize them in the worst ways possible and hopefully throw them out and finish the Nekba towards the other liberal end of the spectrum in the Israeli sense, which is just maintain permanent and occupation, but let it be a humane occupation.
Speaker 3: Let's just you know, control them and let everything be fine. And yeah, we do won't give them.
Speaker 4: Full rights, but they can at least, you know, have some economic activity and whatever normalize a little bit. That's the spectrum, and that spectrum will never allow for peace to exist, because no people anywhere in the world would except to live without the fundamental right to be free. And that's what's missing here. And because you do have a dynamic right now where that cannot peace cannot emerge in direct negotiations between Israelis and Palestinians, because yes, there's a lot of intense feelings right now, but on top of that, there is a significant imbalance of power that if you leave them, you're going to end up with a repeat of previous peace negotiations, which is Israel saying yeah, yeah, let's negotiate, while on the ground they do whatever the hell they want, keep entrenching the occupation, eating up more land, brutalizing Palestinians more but saying hey, we're negotiating. It's just it's all it's all charade, And what you need right now is pressure from the outside. I don't care whether you like Palestinians or hate them, or you think they're this or that, or same with Israeli as it's just it's besides the point. You have a reality right now in which Palestinians are living under a permanent apartheid occupation and apartheid, and this particular episode in Gaza right now is a genocidal episode. As an emergency, we need to put an end to this Gaza episode. But the situation was not acceptable even before the onslaught that is unfolding in Gaza. You have a situation in which Israel denies Palestinians the right to live in their own state and denies them full rights even under the areas that Israel controls. So they're stuck forever either as subject with no rights, and they can either take that and be happy with it, or if they try to fight back in any way, then Israel will just escalate its violence to levels that are absolutely horrific. Those are the choice of the Palestinians face, and it requires external intervention. It requires the world to isolate Israel and say this is not acceptable, This occupation cannot end. You have to end that occupation, and that means that you don't get another penny, no diplomatic relations, no embrace of Israel until there's a change of inn Israeli policy. And when you look at Russia and Ukraine right now, just we've had a very brief episode of that, comparatively speaking, when you compare the two things, there are instances in which Ukraine, for example, I think it was December, fired a rocket at Belgrade and killed a couple of dozen Russian citizens, including three children. If in response to that, the United States said Putin has the right to defend himself and we're going to give him unlimited arms to fight against Ukraine, everybody would just laugh at you instantly, You'd be laughed out of the room because that's such a ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Thing to say. So pointing at hamass violence and saying that the responses we give Israel unlimited weapons to defend themselves when the broader context is Israel is invading and occupying Palestinians and robbing them their basic rights and brutalizing them.
Speaker 4: And killing them and imprisoning them and torturing them. That in this context you're going to refer to Israel's right to self defense is a joke. A home intruder who breaks into somebody's home with a gun does not get to claim self defense when they're inside that house. If the people inside that house get to fight back, Palestinians are fighting for their land that Israel is not entitled to taking. Israel does not belong there, and it's time to isolate Israel until that occupation comes to an end. And that's the only path in which we're going to see Israel moderate. The reason why sentiments in Israel are so extreme is because the US has provided complete and total impunity for Israel. Nobody can ever hold Israel accountable for anything they've done because the US ensures that that accountability cannot happen. And that's precisely why we've seen these reel spectro move to an extreme. And in response to that brutal extreme that is imposed on top of Palestinians, we're seeing more extreme views also occurring among Palestinians. The corrective is incredibly obvious and is impossible to miss if you're being intellectually honest and understand what's actually outful.
Speaker 1: So your last word wouldn't cutting off US military aid and blanket unconditional political support push Israel toward to compromise.
Speaker 2: I don't think we have blanket unconditionals for Rozo. I think they were to do certain things, I think they would lose, they'd lose hit, lose internal support pretty quickly. A lot of the people that you like to quote Harazzer but Salam are literally posted in Israelis or Israeli organizations. Just one thing before my final statement, do you think that October seventh was justified the attack? And do you think civilians were targeted on that day?
Speaker 4: I mean, if you separate it out, the part where they attacked Israeli military could be construed as an active resistance store, but the part where they attack civilians is completely unjustifiable. Of course they attack civilians. Of course that's completely indefensible. So I think that's cool.
Speaker 2: I think that the I think that the big I think the big issue when this conflict is talked about is that it feels like people only ever want to tell one side of the story. That we can't have a conversation on why does the blockade exist, We can't have a conversation on what does some US do to induce civilian death? Because some US wants civilians to die in Palestine more than Israelis do. Why can't we have a conversation about why, I know you're.
Speaker 3: Going to get last or you might find inroject on this point.
Speaker 4: Human rights organizations have also By the way, it was officially Israeli policy to use Palestinian civilians as human shields.
Speaker 3: They've done it in the West Bank for many arguing they have the legal right to do. Yeah, they were arguing for it. The Israeli Supreme Court bandit, I mean.
Speaker 2: To do it is rarely supreme crazy ye, hang on, hang on.
Speaker 3: I'm giving some contest just I think it. Just hear me out.
Speaker 4: This is I thought that I'm going to piece together that I think will be useful for you to to think about a little bit.
Speaker 3: Sure it was official policy.
Speaker 4: There was a case in which a palestine got killed because they do home raids in which the first person knocking of the door is the Palestinian with Israelis like standing behind them with the guns to try to get somebody to come out and cooperate and whatever, and they don't want to be shot at. And when the Israeli Supreme Court tried to ban it, the Israeli military establishment was furious, so this is a really important method of combat.
Speaker 3: It protects the soldiers' lives. You can't ban it.
Speaker 4: And you know Israel that basically disregarded what the military establishment said. It was Sho Mofaz who was the defense minister at Israel at the time all of this was happening. I think it was in two thousand and five. And even though the Supreme Court officially banned it, human rights organizations keep catching Israel engaging in acts of holding Palestinians as human shields, and Gaza.
Speaker 3: And the West bangs it.
Speaker 4: Just yes, it happened, and you see it like there's footage sometimes of holding a Palestinian with a gun over his shoulder.
Speaker 3: Which is which is? Which is the point you're making? You're making my point, Yes, very quickly.
Speaker 4: If the Israeli military things holding Palestinian civilians in front of them where they're fighting with Hamas saves these rarely soldiers' lives, it tells you that they don't believe their own lies about Hamas wanting Palestinian civilians to die, because it would not be useful if that's.
Speaker 3: What they care.
Speaker 2: When the idea was using those human shields, how many how many Muslims were killed. How many Palestines were killed when they were this is the last question.
Speaker 4: I think there was one incident of somebody getting killed erect yes, you know, okay, don't want to.
Speaker 2: Shoot their own No, So it's interesting. So the ideas idea behind that was when they were engaged in this, when they were clearing out houses, the idea was is that if a bunch of ideas shoulder soldiers show up and start banging on your door, it's going to lead to some sort of armed conflicts. So what the idea started to do houses is no, what the idea started to do when they were proaching houses, if they were people in the neighborhood of people walking by, they were like, hey, do you want to walk up and do you want to knock on the door and talk to the sky because if you go in and you talk the gutes, do they want to hand me your wall? There's a reason why. Yeah, you can laugh. But the funny this is like this is the conflict as you leck. Now, more people probably die because that policy is gone because the way that you phrase it is, oh, they got to go to their head, specificly human shield, which I think did happen.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: There's a reason why when you talk about the policy, only one person ever died doing it. It's because it'scause it's a safer way to bring people out of the home in order to like you have an actual battle syndico, knock the doork rather than the idea is bank human shield. That's not a human shield. The human shield. When you say human on the shielding, the other people know it was to shield that the IDF doesn't need shields from the Palestines of the West Bank the.
Speaker 3: Human shields, but you don't.
Speaker 2: The Supreme Court ruled against it because they felt like the the ability for them to truly consent the Palestine is truly consent to knocking in a door was compromised.
Speaker 3: Eventually, Israel said, yes, okay, fine, I want to give me time.
Speaker 5: I want it because Ohmar got a good chunk of time to have final thoughts. So I want to make sure that you get this.
Speaker 2: I gotcha. Yeah. So there's just a refusal on one side, well, really on both sides. Woun't have a crazy ultra side is here except I guess maybe. But generally there's refusal on both sides to acknowledge the trewths of the other side, but the blockade. The reason why the blockade exists is because Israel is evil. Hamas doesn't actually do any things to induce civilians to be killed. Israeli people, Jewish people don't have any reasonable fears of Hamas. That's why earlier when I asked if Hamas was in charge of Israel and if the Jews lived in the Godza Strip, do we think the treat would be the same or worse or better? We couldn't even get an answer to that because the obvious answer is Hamas had probably engaged in a genocidal campaign to kill every actual genocidal campaign, not one where the people are on the verge of starvation for twenty five years while the population increases fivefold. Okay, So this refusal to acknowledge like basic facts of history or the fact that the complication is or the conflict itself is really complicated. This goes back decades in terms of how people are disagreeing over who owns what peace of land, or or who has a right to live in what place, or whether or not there living or apartheid, or what a final solution should look like. The fact that people are incapable of acknowledging both parts of the sides of this conflict, makes it so that when people are encouraging their particular side, there will never be a resolution. If you are a Palestinian and you believe that today you are being subjected to genocide and apartheid, why in the fuck would you ever negotiate with Israel for and and thing and and I think both of you said to yourselves, the international community needs to step in and solve this problem. And as long as Palestinians think that, there's never going to be a drive there to actually reach any lasting solution, because why would you If we're being genocided, we're being apartheided, we live in open air prisons and concentrations. We're not going to figure the problem out. Somebody's gonna come save us. And as long as that is the mentality that is given to the Palestinian people, they will continue.
Speaker 3: To fight negotiating with their oppressors or they could get.
Speaker 2: Where they could where all of the And this is funny too. You can see so many maps in a minute. Yeah, you can see so many maps that are published from negotiations between Palestinian negotiators and Israeli negotiators. All of them are from the Israeli side. There has never been a deal on the table where Palestinian said this is what we want and then Israel didn't accept. It's never been the case that that was it. Negotiations have been horrible. Cushioners talked about a.
Speaker 3: Bus, they recognize.
Speaker 2: Talking about error, fat about a boss. The negotiations just can never be made because there is no negotiating on the Palestinian side. And that's what we see today internationally, that it is encouragement to keep fighting and fighting and fighting until eventually your one state from river to cy.
Speaker 5: So we started this by saying we were not going to solve the problem, and I think that proved to be correct. We did not solve the problem, but what we did say we wanted to do was bring some more clarity about the contrast on both sides. And I do think Ryan, that we saw a lot of contrasts and a lot more clarity in the contrast just by flushing some of this out. So sincerely, yeah, sincerely want to think both of you because this is not always an easy thing to do, and we all are still here.
Speaker 2: So that note, Ryan, any final thoughts, no, no final thoughts.
Speaker 1: I'll just leave it at that because if I say anything, it's just going to and that's right back up, and we've all got things we.
Speaker 2: Got to do, right, that's right.
Speaker 5: So Breakingpoints dot Com subscribe. We will be here, remember now on Fridays, in addition to Wednesdays. Thank you, Stephen, thank you, Omar, thank you, thank you guys.
Speaker 3: Soon