Speaker 1: Welcome to tech Stuff, a production from iHeartRadio. Hey there, and welcome to tech Stuff. I'm your host, Jonathan Strickland. I'm an executive producer with iHeartRadio and how the tech are you? So we have come to the end of the new episodes I had recorded for when I was on vacation. I'm still on vacation as this episode goes out, So we're going to turn to a true classic episode of tech Stuff. This episode originally published way way back on February fourth, two thousand and nine, which means my original co host, Chris Palette. It introduces the show, this is how three D glasses work, and I hope you enjoy. We touched on this on a recent podcast when we talked about cees and then we realize that, you know, three D technology. It's something that has been around for many decades actually, but it's starting to come back now. It's like it seems weird. It's like every like the nineteen fifties it got really big for a little while and then it kind of died away. And then nineteen eighties it got big for a little while and then it kind of died away. And this looks like it's another one of those those moments sort of like the Yo Yo, where it just comes back in vogue and who knows, maybe this time it's here to stay.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we we have an article on the site how three D glasses work that was written by our site founder Marshall Brain. Yes, and it's really fascinating. The According to the article, the Power of Love was the first movie to be done in three D and that was nineteen twenty two.
Speaker 1: It's a curious thing.
Speaker 2: So we're thank you, thanks for the news.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you know, we're coming up on a century of three D you know, video technology, which is uh, you kind of think about it. I always thought of it as a fifties and sixties singer and it's yeah, it's been around for quite some time.
Speaker 1: And you sit there and you think about that, like, okay, so if it's almost a century old, why is it still relatively rare?
Speaker 2: Is it's a pain in the neck to actually make it work.
Speaker 1: Right, and I'm pain on the eyes as well as it turns out. Yeah, that's one of the problems is that there's no For longest time, there was no real easy way of doing this that didn't result in after you know, maybe watching something for about forty minutes feeling like your eyeballs were on fire. It's a little better now, but we'll get to that first. We should kind of talk about why we're able to perceive or why three d's important, and how we're able to perceive it. It all goes down to it comes down to binocular vision.
Speaker 3: You know, I have a pair of binoculars and it doesn't look like I'm looking into three D.
Speaker 1: Right, That doesn't It's not what it means. So we're talking about using both eyes to see objects and then perceive depth using both of your eyes. There's this It's what's called parallax. It's where you're looking at objects and because your eyes are not located in the exact same spot on your head, go figure you can Actually your brain uses the difference in the angles that you're perceiving to create the perception of depth.
Speaker 2: So if you were.
Speaker 1: To close one eye, or if you were to lose an eye, you would not be able to perceive depth the same way someone with two eyes can. You could still do it. You mainly pick it up from visual cues at that point, and your perceptions not as accurate. Most humans have pretty accurate death perception to at least up to twenty feet or so. But if you only had one eye, then you would you know some things that you might think, oh, well, that's closer to me than that other object over there. You might be surprised to find out ooops, I was wrong because you didn't have the second eye to verify the information. So three D movies, three D images, they have to be able to create this sense of of parallax in order for you to perceive them as you know, three dimensional as opposed to two dimensional, to give you that illusion of depth.
Speaker 3: Like a few Master for example, exactly takes advantage of that. It shows you slightly different versions of the same image, right, which create the illusion of depth.
Speaker 2: And that's how those red and blue three D glasses.
Speaker 1: Work, right, It's called anaglyph.
Speaker 3: Images, which uses red in a different color. Right, it's usually blue, but could be green or.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's usually it's usually red and blue. Those are the classic three D glasses that a lot of us think about when we when we hear the three D glasses thing. So you have an image that you're showing on a screen, and it's got say, kind of like a reddish overlay on top of it, and then you have the identical image superimposed or are shown just slightly off to the side. Looks a little weird if you're not wearing the glasses, which is usually in a blue or perhaps green overlay, and then you have glasses with corresponding lenses. Now, the red lens happens to block the red light. It absorbs it straight through. You don't see it. You just see the blue and the blue it lets through the red light, and your eyes see these two images separately, and your brain puts the information together to create the three D image. So your brain is doing all the work, really, and once they figured out, hey, if we just put these two images side by side, really close together and do different colors and have each eye perceive a different color, then we can create the illusion of depth. Then that's when the three D movie craze really took off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's why.
Speaker 3: If you take off the three D glasses and look at the movie, one of the classic anaglyph style three D movies, you'll notice that there's a red version of the image and there's a blue version of the image, and it looks like it's out of register. Like if you've seen a color picture where the printing was just and everything seemed to be shifted in one direction, as just the red or just the yellow, that means that the printers didn't line up the colors.
Speaker 2: It sort of looks like that because.
Speaker 3: One of them will be just a little to the left and one will be just a little to the right, and you're going, what's up with this? Well, because they're slightly different, it allows your brain to make up that there's a three D version of that. But that's not how the newer version of three D works. The newer version uses polarized lenses.
Speaker 1: That's right, now, that's interesting because polarized lenses is all about the angle of the light waves, right.
Speaker 3: True, But it achieves the same effect because the images are slightly different in direction, and by shifting the polarity and using the polarized glasses, it also fools your eyes.
Speaker 2: And you don't have to have red and blue version of the image on there.
Speaker 1: Right, they look more like, you know, kind of dorky sunglasses in general. I guess you could really if you wanted to make a very stylish pair, But every pair I've ever seen looks kind of geeky.
Speaker 2: Well, if you're.
Speaker 3: Gonna go watch Captain EO, it doesn't really matter anyway, because you know, the glass is sort of wet with the movie anyhow.
Speaker 1: Don't be talking smack about my Michael Jackson. So yeah, So these polarized lenses in the same sense that the red and blue only allow the blue and red respectively. Those light waves through the polarized lenses are kind of the same way. They're a line, so that the light the angles of the light waves will only go through one side or the other. And usually you have two projectors projecting at the same time. They're projecting. Each one's projecting a different of what's protecting the same image at the same time, but in a different angle of light waves. So you're getting both sets of images at the same time, but only one eye receives each image, and then your brain does the work again. So it's based on a very similar principle as the red and blue. Now I've heard that people tend to experience less eye strain using this method than they did when they use the red and blue. Have you ever seen a three D movie, like a full three D movie with the red and blue glasses like a full length feature film.
Speaker 2: Dyes, I haven't ever watched anything that long. Okay, the est thing I have seen in three D is Captain Neo now that you mentioned.
Speaker 1: Okay, well I have as and this is one of my childhood memories. So sit back and grab a coke, all right. I went to see Jaws in three D. You did Jaws three in three D and the theater with my dad. Hi, Dad, and Dad and I we sat there and watched this movie and by the end of it, we each had splitting headaches. And also, by the way, just so you know, terrible movie. The only three D effect that was really effective is when someone held a syringe out towards the screen in the way that absolutely no one does and then pushed the plunger. That was actually pretty effective. The shark stuff not so much at any rate.
Speaker 2: But the terror didn't stop at the edge of the screen.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, you knew the tagline, so so any anyway it was, it was. It definitely did cause eye straight Now. I've worn the polarized glasses for short demonstrations, but nothing for really any length of time. So I'm kind of curious to see if it really if it lives up to the hype. And of course there's one other kind of three D glasses we can talk about, the active glasses.
Speaker 2: Oh, yes, those are the ones that you actually saw at CEES.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I saw a couple different instances of active glasses. Now, with these other versions we're talking about, you usually, like I said, have two projectors projecting the images at the same time. It really the you know, that's the best way to show these images. Now, with active glasses, you can have one projector showing or one screen whatever showing these images all together.
Speaker 3: But the difference is in this case, rather than the glasses just being a piece of paper or plastic with the lenses in front of your face, the glasses are doing all the work instead of the projectors.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: The glasses have a shutter where they turn on and off a polarization effect, and they do it at such a fast speed that you would never be able to see it. You can't, you know, consciously notice that they're shuttering on and off. I mentioned that the in video ones I saw shuttered at a sixty hertz refresh rate for each eye. So the screen what it's doing is it's alternating the image at the same rate that your glasses are shuttering on and off, and you're getting these two different images at a rate of speed that's so fast that your brain essentially thinks it's the same it's happening at the same time. From your perception, it's all happening at the same time, even though in reality it's switching back and forth at this incredible rate of speed. So the effect, again is that your brain puts it together and says, hey, there's depth there. It's not just a flat surface. And the effect really is pretty interesting, and that you know, you look at the screen and it looks like you can actually see beyond just that flat surface.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: It's it's there's some effect of the you know, oh, it's coming out toward me. But that's kind of minor in comparison to just this amazing depth of vision that you get in these screens. And you might wonder like, well, okay, so we've got all this technology, where's the big deal. Well, Hollywood is really kind of experimenting with this technology recently. There's been there have been quite a few movies that have come out with that feature this three D tech, and and not only just movies, but also sporting events and concerts that have have shown up either in theaters or on television that use three.
Speaker 3: D, and part of that is made possible by the use of digital video technology, right, I mean, film really didn't give us the opportunity to use it as much as digital does. Right, So that just makes it, you know, easier and cheaper for the studios to do, which is you know, probably a good thing and actually is a good transition in the next part of what I was going to bring up. Although I think you may have answered my question because there's so much three D at CEES. It was one of the big themes of this year's show. I was going to ask you if you thought three D was the next big living room phenomenon. But I want to understand, most TVs that use three D technology use the anaglyph method, use the red and blue glasses if it's a big eye strain, and maybe it's such. I mean, people are not going to sit there and watch TV for four hours a night and get splitting headaches.
Speaker 1: If you wanted to use the active glasses, you would need a special display or special television something that's called three D ready, and there are only a few sets, relatively few sets out there that are three D ready, either as computer monitors or television sets like the Mitsubishi Laser View. I keep bringing it up, but that's one of the ones that's three D ready. Chris and I will be back to talk more about three D glasses after this quick break. If you don't have a television that's capable of doing that, then you're kind of stuck. You've got a really expensive pair of glasses that don't really work very well and make you look like a big dork. So hey, congrats, But uh, if you do have one of those sets, then you can take advantage of this technology. Now, of course, that means you also have to find content that was optimized for that technology. It's not going to just work on anything. It's not like you could turn on any television like, oh way, yay, I get Full House in three D.
Speaker 2: Now that's that might have been scarier than the Jaws.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just sad what that is.
Speaker 2: But they're there.
Speaker 3: Uh, there's a lot of three D stuff that's just starting to, uh to creep in, Like for example, this year's Super Bowl, right, which was you know, absolutely amazing.
Speaker 2: Sure, we say it's record a few days before that, but.
Speaker 3: From what I From what I understand, Pepsi and Universal both took out ads for the Super Bowl, Pepsi for Sovie's Life Water and the movie Monsters and Aliens from Universal.
Speaker 2: Both had three d ads. Yeah, and NBC was so excited about that.
Speaker 3: They're even advertising the ads that they're coming up so you can actually get the glasses and watch the three d ads in time.
Speaker 1: It's getting a little too meta for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now the Monsters Versus Aliens, that's a movie that's coming out later in two thousand and nine, and they actually in three day it will be in three D. Yeah, it's it's a computer graphics animated film and I saw clips of that when I was at CES. That was one of the demos they did with the three D technology, and it looks pretty good. There are several other movies that are coming out either this year or in coming years that are going to be using three D. That includes James Cameron's Avatar, not to be confused with the Nickelodeon Nickelodeon cartoon show which My wife loves, Hello Wife. There's there's a rumored version of a Christmas Carol that may be in three D it's going to use the same creepy technology as Polar Express.
Speaker 2: I bet, I bet it was it Dickens to make.
Speaker 1: I'm sure it was. Then there's a There's How to Train Your Dragon Crude Awakening Alice in Wonderland, which is Tim Burton's take on the classic tale. Johnny Depp will be in that. I think he's the Mad Hatter. If I'm not mistaken, you should.
Speaker 2: Be if he's not.
Speaker 1: The next track film is supposed to be in three D Mastermind, also the one that we Are You and I will be waiting for with baited breath. Yes, the remastered three D version of Star Wars. I saw clips of that while I was at CEES and it was one of the two times I came close to crying.
Speaker 2: Good tears are bad, just tears of.
Speaker 1: Joy to see to see the Karelian starship being chased by that star destroyer and it's looming at me right there, and then R two D two is right in front of my face. Oh man, it's gone bye bye. Yeah, okay, wait wait, I'm back. I'm back.
Speaker 2: So that's okay.
Speaker 3: It'll it'll be twenty more years before George Lucas decides on the final, Final, final three D version, sure, and you know with the refinements in.
Speaker 1: It, and then of course we have the video games that could come out. That's true that Navidia is really pushing for. Navidio's the graphics processing card manufacturer, and they have the g fours glasses. They have a whole list of video games that are already prepared to go to three D. I mean, everything is there. You just have to have the right display, the graphics chip and the glasses and then you're ready to go. And among the games that they say are optimized for this include Age of Empires three, Battlefield to Call of Duty, for Civilization for for you Sid Meyer fans out there, Burnout Paradise for you race car driving fans out there, World of Warcraft. If you're a World of Warcraft fan, you're not listening to this. You're playing World of Warcraft, Half Life two, Left for Dead, roller Coaster Tycoon. Seriously, Yeah, roller Coaster Tycoon.
Speaker 3: Okay, you know you may be laughing at that, but if you think about it, you know that could be pretty pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You get to ride the rights and you get to see your your your amusement park in three D there's some pretty nifty things out there, so yeah, it's it. I think they're pushing for it to be the next big thing. Now here's the question. Are people going to adopt it? And specifically, are people going to be willing to spend money on it, especially in an economic downturn.
Speaker 3: Oh well, I imagine that this is the kind of thing that would cost a lot of money, even not in an economic downturn. Yeah, because this is not I mean, this is using brand new technology that is different from the technology you would see in a standard LCD display.
Speaker 1: Right right, The glasses alone can cost you like two hundred bucks. Yeah, so that's that's before you even get a graphics card or the display or television.
Speaker 3: So that makes the three D super Bowl party kind of expensive. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think the laser view was around seven grand.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's about so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a that's an expensive toy. So it may be beyond our reach for a few more years. Time will tell. I mean, if enough early adopters do go out and buy this stuff, that will drive the price down and then the rest of us can can enjoy stuff in three D as well. And of course you can still go to the movie theater and see a lot of these films in three D. I mean even movies that weren't made completely in three D, you can sometimes see parts of it in three D.
Speaker 2: True.
Speaker 1: So now it's at least the film industry is really trying to push for it. I think that's partly in response to piracy actually when you think about it, because if you can't recreate the experience at home, you have to go to the theater to get the experience.
Speaker 3: But when you can recreate the experience at home, then they're trumped again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you just pirate the heck out of it. Not that you would or I would, but you know, those nefarious people who are not our listeners, because we're all well behaved, we're.
Speaker 2: Good ones in this podcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hope you enjoyed that classic rerun episode How three D Glasses Work. It's funny because when we recorded that back in two thousand and nine, the television industry was really pushing three D TV super hard. It was obviously an attempt to differentiate televisions from one another, as well as to try and cut back on stuff like media piracy. But ultimately the consumers rejected three D TV, and you don't really see it as an option that much anymore, not saying it's totally gone away, but it certainly is not the norm for televisions these days. Hope you enjoyed that classic episode and hope you are all well, and I'll talk to you again really soon. Tech Stuff is an iHeartRadio production. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.