Speaker 1: The Nicky Glaser Podcast, Nicki Glaser.
Speaker 2: Here's Nikki.
Speaker 3: Hello here, I am welcome to the show. It's Nicki Glazer Podcast. Happy Labor Day weekend. I hope you had a good one. I am joined today by Brian Frangie.
Speaker 1: Hi, Brian, Hello, Welcome to the show. Everybody. That's me welcoming to the show. Also, yeah, there you go.
Speaker 3: Noah's also here.
Speaker 2: Hey, Noah, welcome to the shows. Me welcoming everybody.
Speaker 3: And then that's the laughter of my birthday boy, my little baby baby birthday boy, mebe Bb, my boyfriend, my lover, my special guy whose birthday is today. It's Chris Convy.
Speaker 4: Everyone's welcoming you to the show. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And Anya is not here today because she's filming a music video in Rhode Island on a book. Oh wow, she'll tell us all about that when she gets back. We get Chris Convey today. He came to visit me. I'm very excited about it. He came in. What day did you get here? On Sunday? And uh, we have a fun week planned of we have an activity for your birthday and Thursday. This sucks when I have like a birthday present that's coming two days after his birthday, because today's birthday and I literally have nothing for you except kisses. No.
Speaker 5: I think that's fine. Really, I think you've got time to give somebody a gift. Personally, it doesn't matter to me either way, but I think, yeah, how are you supposed to like line up something perfect on somebody's birthday in this day and age?
Speaker 4: Am I right?
Speaker 1: Brood?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: No, it's hard, but I do know that you don't say happy birthday to Chris Convey. Chris Convey says hello to you.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so you know you can't call, you can't text. He's got a you and if he doesn't call.
Speaker 4: You on his let's explain.
Speaker 3: Will you explain it?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I mean okay, yeah, yeah, I can explain this. So, I mean I think when I was younger, this is like twenty years old, this whole thing. People were obsessed with their birthdays and then they were upset, Oh, you missed my birthday, And if you miss somebody's birthday, it's this big ordeal and somebody's like, oh, I'm sad you And everybody just loves their birthday so much. So the deal I was making with my friends was don't you don't ever have to remember my birthday, I will. I will call you on my birthday, and you go ahead and call me on your birthday. So now on my birthday, I'll call you. Know, but basically everybody in my everybody in my phone that I care about, will get some sort of a phone call to be like, hey, you never had to remember this.
Speaker 4: Yep, you shouldn't have to. I'm taking that off your plate.
Speaker 3: Right, and so he it would be it's a funny thing. So Chris would call everyone in his phone book on his birthday, and then if they didn't call him on their birthday, he would have no love lost because that's the rule.
Speaker 4: That's the rule. Like who cares about birthdays?
Speaker 3: Well, clearly, I mean it's.
Speaker 5: And it's it's effectively made my birthday like a very very busy day that you used to hate a lot.
Speaker 3: I used to loathe it because we would just it would be Chris on the It's like what Chris was doing a deal in on Wall Street in the nineties on his birthday.
Speaker 4: Like he was on the.
Speaker 3: Phone on the floor trying to sell and buy all day long.
Speaker 4: I'm not kidding you, all day long.
Speaker 3: We would go to dinner for his birthday, and he would have to step out and just collect these calls or call people all because you'd go through his imaginic going through your whole contact list. Here's most people don't pick up here.
Speaker 4: Here's the Beauty's good. It's good. His birthday celebrations Thursday. Yeah, actually going to work out. It is because I don't have I don't have the time.
Speaker 5: So the beauty of it is, like, I'm pretty bad at keeping up with everybody. I'm pretty bad. I don't I don't love phone calls. You know, I'm not good at responding to texts. But this is one day of the year that I'll just get to say hi to as many people as I can. And we both have laughs about it. Sometimes they won't pick up, and then I just get to leave a message and get to yes.
Speaker 3: But it's, oh, that's sweet.
Speaker 4: There is something beautiful about it that has emerged.
Speaker 1: How many people are you calling?
Speaker 5: You think I don't know my friendship group it's seven seven thousand.
Speaker 1: Wow, it's a lot thousand.
Speaker 3: It's all day long.
Speaker 4: No, I bet it's the it's in the hundreds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a lot of calls, like a telemarketer all day long, Yeah, I should get you a little cubicle, little headset.
Speaker 6: I do the same thing on my birthday at a Chris does, except I do it the day after and I call people and go, oh see, you didn't remember.
Speaker 1: My birthday, did you. I'll look at you nothing, not even a little text.
Speaker 3: How many calls have you gotten today already? Or how many calls? Wait, zero calls today, but I've in some text? But how like, aren't there friends that you don't that you go over a year of not talking to or not even thinking of that you still.
Speaker 4: Love those people?
Speaker 5: Yes, of course yes, And you know it's like it's it's sort of a nice thing to have a yearly check in to be like, hey, we're still buds.
Speaker 3: But some of these people, Chris, you gotta talk like they're dying to talk to you, right, And they're just people that like you. There are some people that you call on your birthday and I know for a fact you're like, I would love this conversation be four minutes long, but it ends up being like forty minutes.
Speaker 5: This is the this is the game we're playing. Nothing, nothing's forty minutes. Nobody does Okay, everybody knows they go hey. Some of the guys will pick up and be like, hey, I know you got a bunch of calls. I'll talk to you later, Okay, cool. Yeah, it's do you.
Speaker 2: Ever get any like passive aggressive responses like oh yeah, it's been a really it's been like a year since I've heard from that.
Speaker 5: No. People at this point, if you're if I'm friends with you, they know they sort of they know the drill, and they sometimes they it's it's funny. They're like they'll pick up and make hey man, I'm heard from you while and I'm like, hey, you know.
Speaker 4: What day it is?
Speaker 5: And they go I forget every year, like they even forget when they're getting the phone call. Or some people pick up and be like I know what this is all about. Yeah, because I don't call anybody. I call nobody ever.
Speaker 3: But if for somebody who says they don't like birthdays, you always celebrate mine in such a genuine way. Are you just doing that because you think it matters to me? Or like do you I think you somebody? I don't.
Speaker 4: It's not that I don't like birthdays, it's that there was an era, like you remember when you were in your like twenties and everybody was so stoked on their birthday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like that was the event of the birthday month when girls would say, it's my birthday month. Thankfully that's that ship is sales.
Speaker 4: So that was me taking the power back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I get what you're saying. It's that was annoying. I don't like when people tell you my birthdays this like they like they're they're like people in their thirties or forties telling you their birthday is this week, like you're an adult, Like.
Speaker 4: Who cares about your li is insane? Nobody cares.
Speaker 3: It's really weird. It's really weird, and but I think it is nice. You know what I like about a calendar year. It is exactly long enough where you go, okay, it's time to celebrate again, Like it is a perfect if it was two days, if it was three hundred and sixty three days, you go, didn't we just do this forever? It's a perfect amount of time where when it rolls around again, you go, this is just enough time that it's time for this again.
Speaker 4: I'm talking Valentine's Day, I'm taking birthdays.
Speaker 3: I'm talking Halloween's Like if you were a month shorter, like let's say, like a couple of weeks short. Christmas. Yeah, I don't acknowledge well Christmas, Yeah, Christmas is. I like Christmas being celebrated a whole month. I like getting into that spirit. I'm not someone who's like, what, they're already Christmas music playing. I'm like, yes, it's playing. Let's get in the spirit. And I know that some people in this podcast are Jewish and are probably like.
Speaker 2: I love Christmas time, you do. I think Christmas time is like a Jewish person's favorite time in America at least, it's so everything's so nice, jolly, and like all of our holidays are like based off of like sad events or you know, like she's overcoming something. But I don't know, just Christmas, I guess I don't really know the full story behind it, but it just seems like very jolly.
Speaker 1: You don't know the full story behind Christmas.
Speaker 3: Jesus, I don't know what.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 5: This podcast just became the story of Jesus.
Speaker 4: What do you think that if he rose or died.
Speaker 1: Or what do you think Christmas is about?
Speaker 3: Well? One knows.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the birth of Jesus. But like the whole thing with Santa Claus. I don't know how he comes into the picture.
Speaker 1: Well, that's just a pagan thing, I think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know about Santa either.
Speaker 6: Every time there's a thing like that is because of the Pagans. Anything anything that's fun, the Pagan's added it at some point.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we just took.
Speaker 3: I want to do a little bit of a if you're listening around children to like turn oh yeah, yeah, because I will just say that one of my favorite things. Well, Chris could tell the story, but first I just want to say I didn't find out about that thing not being what it was, that man being not that man, and maybe two people in kahoots until I was in fifth grade.
Speaker 4: It's something isn't real.
Speaker 3: Yes, but I knew let me just say I knew it wasn't Probably around fourth grade it was confirmed and ever for.
Speaker 5: Me, hold on, I'm sorry, who is listening to this podcast around kids?
Speaker 3: I don't know, Like the people have things on around their kids to school, and they have it on like the morning radio. Oh really, yeah, I'm not like talking about you know, uh d's and b's and BJ's and we.
Speaker 6: Did talk about v's and uh p's and a couple other letters that certainly a kid, I wouldn't want my kid hear, and if I had.
Speaker 3: A kid, I'm sorry. Kids should be able to know about p's and v's, We just should know about them going into.
Speaker 6: Well, they should also be able to know about SC's as well.
Speaker 1: Then if they're going to be known about c's, what you're talking about.
Speaker 3: Oh SC's, Oh yeah, Well, I think that you should tell your kids about sc like almost immediately and say there's this thing that a lot of like, I just think it's the biggest such an I know. And then they ruin it for everyone, you know what, everyone needs to ruin it for everyone because it is an amazing thing to like, like to believe and it's fun. But it's the same as like kids do kids believe cartoons are a real world, and is there a moment where they go, no, it's not real, like they I think in the beginning they kind of assume that this is a place that exists, and then that there there's not a moment wherever we go we have to sit down and tell you that Barney's not real or like Bluie isn't real. So why can't we do that with this where it's like it's just a thing that we talk about, but we don't like sell it so goddamn hard and we keep it and then there's this moment where we're like, we have to tell you Santa's gay, Like we have to sit you down and be like we have to you know what I mean, Like we have to tell you, like it's a coming, Like it's a serious conversation where your parents are like, we're letting you're becoming an adult now and we're ruining.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that part weird for you. I wonder at what age is a good age because if you do it young enough then because you have to take into account you don't want your kid to go to school and be like, guess what, Santa isn't real and all the other kids cry, and it's just you don't want your kid to be that kid. And when you're that young, you can't help it if you have a secret that juicy come on, so.
Speaker 3: You got to parents are like beating their children while also being like and Santa's real. They're fighting with their husband and throwing glasses at him and saying, you motherfucker, you don't do anything for this family, like screaming and then they're also like but Sanna comes down the chimney and like, so kids have to live in this like really real world where their parents are like just guttural alcoholics. And I stole that word from Rachel Feinstein. It's not a real world, but it goes perfect with alcoholic and where are being screamed out every day and beaten and in abuse. Like kids live in like this. Some kids are you know, have to witness horrible things, horrible adult things before they're ready. But then they Santa's reel and you go to school and you make little stockings and you draw turkey in your hand, and it's like, weird, Why why do we keep this up?
Speaker 6: Are your parents getting are you guys getting divorced? Yeah, we're getting divorced. But the tooth fairy is still going to go to bull houses?
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, like when.
Speaker 3: Anyway, my sister found out about the Big O' hoax in third grade and she came home and my parents were kept lying to me. I would confront my parents and say, I know it's not real, Like Dad, it's not And I would see his foot shake rapidly he crossed his leg and his foot would shake and he go, Sant, what do you think it is?
Speaker 4: That's what he asked, what do you think?
Speaker 3: And I go, well, I think it's he's not, and he go, well he is, and I knew he was lying, and I was just like, this guy's full of shit. I can't trust that man for anything. I can't believe I ever let him take me in a kayak and a river, like this guy is not trustworthy. And then I knew he was lying, but I kept it up for my sister. So then I was vigilant about not letting my sister watch any adult TV because I thought adults were gonna give it away all the time. So I kept up the ruse and let my parents believe I believed, and then also so my sister would still believe because she was younger. And so I remember them all being like, let's watch SNL. Like I was in fifth grade, my sister's in third and they're like, we're gonna watch SNL. And I was like, we can't watch it because I was I knew SNL was adult in comedy, and I was like, we can't. And I couldn't say why though to anyone, because I couldn't tell my parents.
Speaker 4: I know so much trauma from Santa Claus so much.
Speaker 3: And then one day my sister came home from third grade because her teacher, Missus Wright, who was a black woman. Because in the black community, they do not lie to those their kids that late, at least in the Saint Louis black community in the nineties, they are not keep or whenever. This woman grew up in the Saint Louis in the nineties, they were not telling their kids into third grade that Santa was real. So she this black woman working in a little like white white, you know school, elementary school. The kids were like, Sanna's coming. And she goes, oh, sorry to burst your bubble. Kids.
Speaker 4: She said, burst her bubble. I'll never forget it.
Speaker 3: And the parents went fuck. She goes, but Sanna's not real. The parents went wild. She was nearly fired. My sister comes home from school, Missus Wright's class in third grade. My mom's at the sewing machine. I'm sitting there watching Save by the Bell or some shit. My sister walks in from the bus and she puts on her back back and she goes, I know Santa isn't real.
Speaker 4: And my mom goes, well, now you know, and I go that was it.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 4: That's all you had to say.
Speaker 3: And I'm kind of heartbroken because now it's kind of very much confirmed. And I was in fifth grade and I had fought for Santa and was embarrassed in front of all my classmates for two years. At that point fifth grade, Tyler Schoonover was like, Sanna's not real, and I was just like, yeah, I know, but it, deep in my heart, I knew that. He was like, it was just this. It was exhausting, let alone keeping my sister from being kidnapped with my which my parents also didn't seem to care about. I was the only one who seemed to care about that, keeping her safe from pedophiles. I was obsessed with it and like, wouldn't let her roam around neighborhood. My parents were like, let her go, and I'm like, she's gonna get kidnapped. I'm smart enough not to get kidnapped, but this little girl, she's too trusting. So I was obsessed with that, and then it all culminates to me at my sister's wedding.
Speaker 4: Oh I'm a little.
Speaker 5: Confused now because I thought you, I thought your sister knew Santa was he.
Speaker 3: Was the one that told me and confirmed it, though I never had real confirmation, but I kind of knew, you know what I mean, Like I knew that I was. I was gasolating myself into believing.
Speaker 4: Still, Okay, okay, gotcha.
Speaker 3: Because I no one ever really told me, but I was like ninety percent sure. And then my sister was one that was like one hundred percent. Backpack on the floor. Santa's not real. Done, deal you, Zach Morris?
Speaker 6: If the reverse would be worse? If a parent tells the kid that Santa Claus is not real and then does all of these things to try to make it seem like it's real, like dressed.
Speaker 3: Like track boots through the house and leave ashes and to all this weird serial killer ship.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but imagine if you're if you see the boots and you see you're four years old, you see the boots, you see someone came in and ate a piece of cookie, and you're like Santa Israel and your parents like, no, he's not.
Speaker 1: I don't know what you're talking about. Wouldn't that be worse?
Speaker 3: No, it is worse because then you put on your usual suspects it and you realize your parents have been doing a lie the entire time, but went to these and they kind of feel bad because you were, like, you realize all the times that you never gave parents your credit for the gifts they got you, and you were like, Sana killed it this year, Mom, you blew it. Like this doll you gave me sucks, But this pizza thrower, teenageing Ninja Turtle's.
Speaker 4: Rules, Sanna nailed it. You blew it, mom, you know.
Speaker 3: Okay, So when we come back, we'll tell you the story that Chris has about me and Santa. And I'm sure we put told it on the pod before, but we need to tell it again because now with Chris. Oh okay, good, all right, we'll be back after this. All right, we're back, Chris. So, what happened?
Speaker 5: So Nicky's sister's wedding, Nicki gave whatever what's the speech there?
Speaker 4: I mean the maid of honor speech, Like.
Speaker 3: It was like a reception for a wedding she had two years prior. That was like a she really shocked what it was wedding. Yeah, it was just a reception. There was no ceremony.
Speaker 4: Oh god, I didn't remember it like that.
Speaker 5: Well, Nicki gave a speech at the wedding and during the wedding, and she said all these wonderful things about Lauren, but about how she was, you know, you know, more advanced in some ways, immature or whatever it was. And one of the things she said at this reception where there were aunts and aunt's children and uncles children, like there was kids. There's kids at the wedding. Yeah, Nicky goes, Lauren found out Santa Claus wasn't real before me, And like moms were like putting their their heads.
Speaker 4: Some bubbles that day.
Speaker 5: First, many bubbles that in the bathroom and it was controversial.
Speaker 4: Kids were crying in the bathroom. Aunts were mad at NICKI. Yep, it was. It turned out to be like kind of the talk of the wedding.
Speaker 3: They had to learn somehow, coffee, They had to learn somehow. I mean, I was making this point about my sister being just like always feeling like an older sister me. She kissed a boy before me, she got a boyfriend before me, she lost her virgin I didn't say the virginity part, but that's true too. She was plucking her eyebrows before me and had to be like, hey, big sis, get over, your eyebrows are problematic, let's like fix them. She was always like it more advanced and wore makeup before me, just knew what to do before me. And then also the Santa Claus thing I just threw in not thinking, but you know what, they got to learn somehow, and this is like, I'll bring it back to something else. People go like, no, spoiler alert, isn't the shock of And I know everyone's gonna say, no, it's not. We want to learn spoilers like in the movie itself the way the director wanted us to learn the spoiler. But let's say I tell someone tells me like, oh, the end of the sixth Sense or whatever is this thing? Isn't the shock of me finding that out? Then? Also the same surprise if I would in the movie.
Speaker 5: Not at all, because if you don't know what's happened and leading up to the sixth the sixth sense is like the perfect example to not use. That's a good boy, because the whole movie is completely ruined if you know.
Speaker 3: But I'm like, isn't this a good surprise too? Of you finding out just from listening overhearing this conversation.
Speaker 4: Isn't that like also pretty.
Speaker 3: Good of like whoa damn you know, like you did. You have to find out the way everyone else did. Now you could have a different experience by watching the whole movie.
Speaker 5: You gave them a gift Christmas came those games.
Speaker 6: You're trying to tell me this all the time that the last few weeks, and I'm not buying it.
Speaker 1: I'm not buying it. Every time I'm like, no, I spoiler thing. I need you to spoiler thing.
Speaker 6: Because Nicky's got a lot of spoilers that she's holding over my head and she's thankfully not giving them up yet because every time she goes can I just.
Speaker 3: Tell you I like spoiling things for people? I really don't, but I do argue that when they come out, I go, aren't you surprised now, just in the same way you would be then, Like, just in this moment, instead of being mad at me.
Speaker 2: I wanted to defend Nikki on this because we do drop a lot of spoilers on this podcast, and some people take the spoiler alert. Some people are like, oh, they give away too much of plot. If a TV show or a movie is good, then the spoilers won't matter. You would still enjoy it.
Speaker 5: Like there's something I forget there's something unforgettable about that moment in Sixth Sense, or there's a moment in The Departed. There's just there's something that they the director intended, Like Brian said that that that we were led into on purpose to elicit a certain reaction, and that that is something that is stolen no matter what if there is a spoiler on a show. Now, some spoilers aren't that big of a deal and don't ruin anything, right, you know. But if you're like, oh, this character dies and you're like, hey, you'll get that feeling early and early on the movie anyway, well then fine.
Speaker 6: But like spoiler alerts, did you guys know that? And dude wears my car? They don't find the car.
Speaker 3: I kind of forget that. But if something happens within the first half hour of the movie, it's not a spoiler. Shut up, like this is that's not I don't think that that's something that people should be able to get mad about.
Speaker 5: Spoiler alert dude wears my car only movie I've ever walked out on.
Speaker 3: Really, yeah, I thought it was pretty funny.
Speaker 5: Were you Just Like when I was with a bunch of friends and they were like, this is terrible, we're out of here and I and I was just like, Okay, I guess we're leaving, and they got up to leave and I will.
Speaker 3: Santa isn't really.
Speaker 4: And then I never. I never.
Speaker 5: I've never walked out of a movie since then, because I was like, this feels wrong.
Speaker 3: I have trivia for Noah, Noah, what's the last movie I walked out of? I've probably said it so many times that I would think, you know, and if you don't know, then I'll say it again, because this is the test of if something's been said too many times on the podcast, you know what, I feel like I know so much about you, but I don't remember this fact. Horrible Bosses was the last time I walked out of him. I was so mad about it because I'm like, just quit your boss sucks.
Speaker 4: This is the I know.
Speaker 3: This is like the thing of like just call him, you know, like when people are in movies where you go you don't have to just go, you know, take a train in the middle of the night to tell him you love him, just like call him and then the movie would be over with these easy fixes. But that movie, I was like, stop killing your boss, just just quit and I didn't like Jennifer Aniston being so sexual I like need It was me being like puritanical about her, of like, I don't like her being such an evil sex pot, right, I just need her the way that I want her. And for whatever reason, it bugged me. And also dinner for schmucks. I almost didn't make it through, but I did stay. But I will walk out of a movie without any problem, No way.
Speaker 1: I rarely, rarely ever walk out of movie.
Speaker 6: In fact, I can only remember walking out of one movie ever, and it is how long ago?
Speaker 1: Was it came out in?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 1: It came out in two thousand and four?
Speaker 3: So I was like a teenager trying to guess what it is?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, go ahead, Okay.
Speaker 3: Is it a comedy?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: Is it starring a is it? Does it pass the Bechdel test?
Speaker 4: No way? Two thousand chicken?
Speaker 1: Probably not.
Speaker 6: I kind of remember us with my high school friends, and I remember we all decided we're gonna we're gonna walk out old school.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 4: Does it star someone that is in old school? Is it embarrassing? Now?
Speaker 3: That?
Speaker 4: Is it like a classic?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 6: I actually you probably should stop guessing, because I doubtly even remember this movie.
Speaker 1: It is called Welcome to Mooseport.
Speaker 6: No, that it was Ray Romano's attempt at making a full feature length film Ray Gene Hackman, and man, I was like, I can't even believe this is on a screen, Like how does this make it to the screen?
Speaker 5: Of course that was that was Peek Romano though, right, yeah, that was like everybody loves Raymonds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everyone loved him.
Speaker 4: But except for Brian.
Speaker 3: I just like, of course, Chris, I don't think you walk out of things. You're a completionist, You like will finish something. Because suits, have you talked?
Speaker 4: Have you guys talked about suits on this podcast?
Speaker 2: I think we have you watching suits. We know you watched four days of television.
Speaker 3: Chris is not added up suits amount of days.
Speaker 4: Chris is not alone millions it is.
Speaker 6: It is one of the most watched shows on Netflix right now. It's crazy and I don't even want to talk about it because I don't want to continue promoting this show.
Speaker 1: I mean, it just feels like insane.
Speaker 3: The one thing I'll say that I love when whenever suits comes up on Chris's show, The Courtney Show, which is a podcast I listened to every freaking day, and I love it so much. But when Suits comes up on there there's someone that like knew is watching it or something because Chris gets people into suits because it's what did you say, It's the center of television kind of like Nxbox twenty is the center of me.
Speaker 5: It's yes, there is like Okay, when you think about suits, you think, is this this is like one of those USA shows characters welcome. You look at it and you're like, is this Franklin and Bash or or like the doctor on like they moved to the Hamptons, but but he got like disbarred, but he like helps rich people like be okay, psych psych. Yeah, notice now you think like, okay, you look at Susan you say, this is just another one of those terrible shows that of course I would never like.
Speaker 4: But if you guys have time for a mini story.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: The way I got into it because I looked at it the same way. I was like, this is going to be terrible, and I just wrote it off as like just a cheesy show. So I was, you know, in twenty seventeen or something. Nicki and I had broken up at that point and I was in the I was in Dubai working for.
Speaker 4: A little while.
Speaker 3: What were you not in Nabu Dhabi for a Nabu jab I.
Speaker 5: Was in n Abu Dhab actually, so it's an Abu Dhabi for what I'm on bumble for what for Abu Jabi?
Speaker 4: Okay, complete the sentence.
Speaker 5: I'm on bumble. I meet this girl. We hit it off a little bit over text.
Speaker 3: Yeah, whoa what just what made you swipe right on her? Was it just her smile? Yes?
Speaker 5: She seemed like she had a good personality fun I'm a personality guy, as you guys can tell. Everybody knows I'm a personality guy. So we so we start talking and I don't know, we get to something where I was like, I was dead. I was like really into Game of Thrones at the time. Brian and I used to have Game of Thrones watch parties. Nicky Nicky was there and would like tolerate it and and bespected perspect you did respect it, which so I was just so into Game of Thrones, was before Game of Thrones stunk. And she's she's mentioned something about suits because I guess we talked about what TV shows. If we're if I'm if I'm matching with you on bumble I'm getting to TV shows at like the fourth text, probably just because I've got nothing else.
Speaker 4: It's all I do.
Speaker 5: Anyway, I say there's some sort of bet where she says I will like Suits more than she would like whatever show I come up with. So I was like, you will like Game of Thrones more than I will like Suits. And I was like, okay, bets on, and I take bets pretty seriously.
Speaker 3: Yes, he does.
Speaker 4: I get into it.
Speaker 5: And so I started watching Suits immediately, and like a week later, I finished the first season of Suits, and she followed up with her follow up whether she never even watched one single episode of Game of Thrones, and so I but by the end of the season, I was like, you win already. You will not like Game of Thrones as much as I like because you liked it. I definitely was like, I can watch this entire thing.
Speaker 6: Are there like focusing on the episodes because it isn't it like a procedural in the background type show. I mean they're like an hour episode, right, Yeah? Yeah, I would say that.
Speaker 5: You know, I was an Abu Dhabi for an Abu Jabi, and you know, like you had a lot of time on your hands to watch did you.
Speaker 3: Say it was your abu hobby. It was not a hobby to watch suits? You didn't have much else to it? Yeah, yeah, no I liked it.
Speaker 5: My point is, don't overlook suits just because you're like too cool like I.
Speaker 3: You know, no, I want to start it too. Don't overlook suits. Hey, what about this? Because you don't like Meghan Markle? And you know what, maybe you don't like Meghan Markle because why, Chris.
Speaker 5: There's a smear campaign by the deep state, the British Royal family.
Speaker 3: Yes, if you investigate why you don't like Meghan Markle, you come up dry. Bitches.
Speaker 4: You come up dry because you.
Speaker 3: Don't really know. It just seeped into your pores. You don't even know why. Oh, because she's stuck up. Why do you think that I'm pissed about it? I don't like it. I'm so tired of people. You know. I was listening to your podcast the other day and there was a guy on who like, should not have any opinion about the Royal family. He's an older man that was in radio uh back with Courtney. His name's Guy Phillips. He's a great radio guy. But he even said, I'm watching suits and I love it even though I'm not. I don't care for Megan Markle very much. And I'm like, why does this sixty something year old man have an opinion a negative opinion about Megan Markle.
Speaker 4: It's because the Royal family.
Speaker 3: One they've seeped and she is a nice girl. She just fell in love with this guy. She didn't try to root And why does any American give a fuck about the Royal goddamn family. He's shut up about it. Why do you care? So I understand Brits like having this work. I don't understand this because it's it's it's almost like growing up in a church, like of scientology, Like it's just they're brainwashed into Karen.
Speaker 4: It is weird.
Speaker 3: I can't help it.
Speaker 5: The idea that there is a queen of another country on your money, like for Canadians and Australians.
Speaker 4: Australians.
Speaker 5: Australians are like, you know, they're very laid back people and they're not worried about it. But from from our perspective to be like, you've got the Queen of England on your money, yes, this is bizarre.
Speaker 3: And then I love Doug stan Hope's point about like well, the British people always say, yeah, it's the royal family, but they don't really have a say in politics or anything. It's like, well, then why do you fuck them? Their defense is always like but they don't really do anything. It's like, well, then what is going on here?
Speaker 4: People should google Doug stan Hopes stand Oh.
Speaker 3: I played it on the podcast before Ages Ago, and we have a lot of new fans since then. So if you haven't heard it, go listen to Doug stand Hopes rant against the Royal Family. It really like solidifies how I feel.
Speaker 5: But to close the loop on suits close listen. I'm not saying everybody's gonna love it. I'm saying give it a shot because you might casually like it and be surprised by it. There's good like there's like if you like watching shows where there's like a good looking people that you can like kind of have a crush on, there's there's somebody for everybody.
Speaker 3: Oh that's cute. I like that. Yeah, who are you crushing on?
Speaker 4: Markle? You are a Mark Mark?
Speaker 3: When I the Royal Family got me, I used to be a Mark, like a skeptic Marko's charming on the show, and I used to be like, Oh, do you like mak him because he likes suits before anyone else, And I go, oh, is she like so hot? Like you're probably so into her. I was like kind of jealous, And now I'm obsessed with her and I think she's the coolest and the smartest, and I really am just such an advocate of spreading the word about how great she is. She was recently seen at the Beyonce concert and people were just like, oh you at Beyonce. It's like she can't do anything and people.
Speaker 4: Are gonna be mad.
Speaker 3: Although I will say I saw a clip of Timothy Schalomey spoiler alert with Kylie Jenner. They made their first public appearance together at the Beyonce concert, either yesterday or the day before, and he was smoking a cigarette in the Sofi Center and ashing over the ledge, which I found to be insane. But they're they're out and they're together, and that's weird.
Speaker 4: It seems so bizarre. Yeah, it makes it like I remember when.
Speaker 6: Kylie Jenner is part of the other royal family. Yeah, that people care about.
Speaker 3: But people, well, that's the weirdest one too, because people seem to like always hate the Kardashians. But then why are they so popular? You know, like everyone seems to just not like them, but we can't stop consuming them.
Speaker 4: Right at the end.
Speaker 5: I mean it's like Brian said, it's they're like the They're like an American royal family. Yeah, that's true, But I like shallow may I'm a shallow may Man.
Speaker 2: Together, I was enchanted by, like, how people so famous? Yeah you think it was Instagram?
Speaker 3: Yep. I think it's always dms for celebs, or it's like you know, or they're friends of a friend, gives a text or something, or.
Speaker 4: They're like backstage at fashion week.
Speaker 3: That's it. That's one hundred percent backstage at fashion week. It's always stage at fashion week. Oh my god, that's so true. It's so cute to me to picture Chris on the apps. Do you ever think about your boyfriend like being out there, like trying to meet people, like just like being like, I think it's adorable. Just you were like swiping and like had to make first moves, like and like just do cute things and like have a one liner like to get in, and then you were talking about suits and making bets. I think it's so adorable. Where's that spark. Go.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it's when you call me adorable and cute.
Speaker 3: It's so cute.
Speaker 4: No, you don't like me call cute. It's I didn't think it's patronizing.
Speaker 3: Yes, really, yeah, oh I think it's it's I think it. I don't mean it that way like makes it. It's endearing to me. Like how when you were just a single guy. I like that guy.
Speaker 6: I understand it because you're like rooting for the person and they're like in a vulnerable position trying to find someone, and you really want them to succeed, and you're like I can help you, but I'm not there to help you.
Speaker 4: You guys, I think are looking at it from a different perspective.
Speaker 3: He's just a hardy guy and a.
Speaker 4: Girlfriend. He was not like Brian.
Speaker 5: What you guys are saying like, it's more just like oh, I'm bored and don't know anybody in Abu Dabi, like let's see what's going on.
Speaker 3: You know why I like it, Chris, it's because for me, when I first met you, I would have never thought when we broke up the first time, I would have never thought.
Speaker 4: You would get on the apps.
Speaker 3: Because you're a guy who like doesn't do what everyone seems to do. And so when I found out you were on the apps, I was just like, wait, you made a profile and had to like scroll to find your age.
Speaker 4: You had to like answer these like hinch youah.
Speaker 5: My profile was blank forever. I think my profile just said like, you know something, just like one thing that.
Speaker 3: I like, like pizza.
Speaker 5: Oh, I think it's as soft rock. I just had no profile anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I was just like this, because you got a face that.
Speaker 5: Can carry thing that is about. This is humiliating, it really is. And I think I think I wrote maybe for a while, something like not as tall as I look, right, something, something to take it down a notch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, literally, yeah, a few notches. So Chris is visiting in today's birthday. We have a special thing planned on Thursday.
Speaker 4: I like how you say we like it's like.
Speaker 3: We're both doing it. We're both going does Chris know what it is? No, No, it's gonna be a surprise. But before that, we're going to look at dogs.
Speaker 4: We it's your birthday present.
Speaker 3: I know. I was like, for your birthday, we're gonna go do something. We're gonna go look at dogs and shelter. She just texted me about it. Actually, the girl that's helping us look for dogs because last Natalie for Mayday Rescue, Natalie for oh yeah, she's been on the podcast before. Natalie from Mayday Rescue is going to go meet us and we're gonna make maybe make a video at the shelter with some dogs and give them.
Speaker 4: They'll be like, oh, I'm going home.
Speaker 3: We're like, no, we're making a video with you, bitch, get over here and go back in your cage. Just using you for content.
Speaker 5: If people like like, that's like half the reason I got on social media was to like look at the Dodo and things like that. So people like, you know, dog rescue people should follow may Day Rescue.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she does a really good job of place animals. And it's just so nice when you see a little scruffy dog that is covered in like a bath mat of fur, and then they look like a different dog once they get a makeover, and then they end up happy on a couch licking someone's face. Scosted.
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 3: So the other day, though I got really close on a dog, I didn't even tell the girls chat because I'm tired of like, the last time I got close on the dog, I like announced on the girl's chat and then I had to like tell everyone that I didn't get it, and it was just so sad. It's I don't mean to relate it to people telling people they're pregnant and then losing a pregnancy, but it just it's it's felt.
Speaker 4: The closest I've ever gotten to that.
Speaker 3: What was that.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what I thought of. I was like, Oh, she's just it's like having a miscarriage. It felt like that's the closest version.
Speaker 4: It is so funny. So I don't mean, please know that.
Speaker 3: I don't. I don't think it's the same at all. But it's like the closest I've been able to feel to that where I like start like looking at dog toys and stuff and like imagining the future of my life with this animal by my side. And I'll say that like I can see the animal. It's not like I like it's there. I met it, I hugged it, I carried it. I like it licked my face. I thought I had it. So last week on Tuesday, a woman died and the next day her or that night, her friend posted on Instagram, I need to find a place where my best friend died last night. It's so tragic, like it was. She had a heart condition and she went in to go have a thing put in and it didn't work out, and she she died tragically. And she had a five year old dog. I'm looking, I know, it's so sad, but she but the doc I will say that the there was she went into the thing knowing, like I think it was like a twenty five percent chance that it was maybe gonna end this way, so it wasn't completely like, which is still tragic. I mean, you would think you have a seventy five percent chance of it. It was awful. It's awful, but people die. It's part of the story. I'm not trying to make it about that, or I'm not also trying to not make it about that because someone died in the story. But her dog was then you know, didn't have an owner, so they Her best friend put this picture of this dog online and then it got posted by someone else, and then Anya saw it and she sent it to me and she was like, this dog seems to like meet all of your needs. It's this many pounds, it's this it's five years old, it's cute. And it does. It seems to not have a barking problem or this like some perfect dog. So I went and I messaged the woman immediately. I asked Chris first, and I was like, this dog seems kind of perfect. Do you think we could maybe do this? And then you said, you know, go for it, and I was like thanks. And then I wrote to the woman and I said, listen, I travel a lot. I want a dog that I can travel with. So I just want to be upfront, like, this dog is going to travel, because some people might not want that for their dog. Just say that if you don't want your dog to travel, this is the because then she wrote back and said, we don't want this dog to travel and sorry, we're gonna meet other people, but thank you so much for your interest, very polite about it. And I was really like, oh, sad about it. And then I was like, wait, I feel like I don't know, I feel like I can convince this woman because I'm not I'm not gonna do something to a dog that's gonna make this dog's life worse than someone else. I'm giving this I would give the dog the best life possible because just because it travels with me, I do a thing.
Speaker 4: You're putting the dog under the plane. Yes, I think sometimes that's yeah, you're so right.
Speaker 3: So I made that very I said, I'm just gonna shoot, want my shot one more time.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry to bother you.
Speaker 3: I know you're grieving and like, I don't want you to have to read a bunch of text, but I'm just saying, if you the fact that it would travel with me means it would travel under the seat in a carrier. It would be I would be checking on it constantly. It would be safe. I've traveled with dogs before. I would never do anything to an animal that would cause it anxiety if it does. If it would have anxiety and wasn't go traveling, it would stay with my boyfriend, or it'd stay with my family who has dogs. It would always have people to take care of it. And I said, here's the other thing. It sounds like it's a bad deal with this dog traveling all the time, But what that means is I don't have an office job. I'm not leaving my dog alone in a cage seven hours a day, which I guarantee you whoever this dog ends up with, it's gonna spend a lot more time alone than what if it was with me, And maybe that's what they want for the dog is like it's okay being alone, because it turns out this dog, I guess is okay being alone. But I was like, this dog will never be alone. I'll always be with it. It will it's tiny, it will always be with me. And if it's not alone, I don't leave. I don't allow my dogs to be alone for more than three hours. I would never. That's like the most before I had someone come and walk them or something. And if you leave your dog alone for more than that time, I don't think you're a bad person. You do what you can. But I don't believe dogs should be left in cages at home alone for more than like I think the I would say, Pete says, like more than five minutes.
Speaker 5: But some people leave it at home, not in a cage for a law periods of time.
Speaker 3: Yes, but sometimes they like the cage, like and they need the cage like the dog likes the cage. Yeah. So I don't mean to say I'm adding cage to sound worse, but sometimes I mean that's like a better scenario than just like on your couch. But some I've heard people leaving seven or eight hours and the dog just has to like hold it. And I think it gets worse than that. When people have you, you just are a little bit more negligent. I think it can be worse. So I was just saying, like, this dog will always be with someone. So she then reconsidered and said, yeah, come meet it. Actually this is you know. I plued my case and I said, I'm I'm a vegan because of animal rights, Like I'm not going to ever make this a dog feel unsafe or have anxiety, Like I will do everything to make it comfortable one hundred percent of the time. And she she bought it. Man, she bought it now. So she let me go meet it and I held it and it was so cute and so nice, and I loved it so much and it was so calm and sweet, and I you know it, I just I loved it immediately, and I was like, this dog is like this is happening. Because the girl, the woman was really cool and she's a writer. We connected and I just felt like we had a good talk. She also we were talking about having kids and how I'm like, I don't plan on having kids, and she was like, she gave me some advice on that, which was really awesome, but I don't want to say what it was in case she hears this and she's like, you betrayed my trust by I'm not revealing who this woman is. But she was awesome and we connected. We walked the dog and I felt like, Oh, this is gonna happen. And then I was on the treadmill like an hour later, and like in the middle of a workout, I just get a call and I'm like, oh, and then I get them. I let it go because I was like panting at the time like a dog. And then she was like, she was like, I'm nearly crying because I have to tell you. We are just we want the dog to be local, because I guess the woman's family wants to maybe like see the dog and they don't want to be all the way in Saint Louis. So I didn't get the dog, and I was so sad for like a day because it was only like a day that I thought it was less than a day that I thought I was going to get it, So it wasn't like super seeped into my consciousness.
Speaker 5: But I was like, but I had like the fact that you were going to see it, like I had already started like being like, okay, our life with Hobbs, Yes, And I was excited about.
Speaker 4: It, I know, and we had to talk about what we had a time.
Speaker 5: I almost messaged that lady to be like, hey, you're doing the right thing by seeing NICKI, like, because you know Luigi. The first day that Nikki had Luigi, you know, everybody said it was a mistake.
Speaker 4: Luigi was like.
Speaker 5: Scared and barking, and then and then and then bit Nicki and and like we were like what is going on?
Speaker 3: And she was like you were just you would have been like this dog, there's nothing. It's going to be troubled the whole time in a corner, shivering all day long.
Speaker 4: And you're like, this is a disaster.
Speaker 5: And Nikki loved it into being submission, into submission.
Speaker 4: Luigi's like the great It's just the greatest dog.
Speaker 5: And then Nikki did it again with Mary, and so I wanted to tell this lady like, hey, Nicky's gonna love this thing, like in a way that's extraordinary and it's gonna have an amazing life. But I also understand, like, you know, if that if that woman who died has siblings and that dog makes them feel close to their sister, then it's like, okay, I as hard as it is, Yeah, that he's not he doesn't get to be ours. It's like, Okay, this guy's this. This dog might give these people comfort over the next few years, but it's still hard.
Speaker 3: I put my woman, I put myself in that woman's shoes or like the brother's shoes of the woman who died.
Speaker 4: That you're gonna say I put my woman pants on.
Speaker 3: I did put my woman pants on that day.
Speaker 4: I hate I hate it when people say.
Speaker 3: I was embarrassed because when I met when I met the dog, I was We were like, it was very hot outside. We were on the sidewalk and we sat down on this like you know, gray pavement to like play with the dog. And when we got up, I had sweat so much so that there was like wet stains all over the ground and it looked like I had like pissed everywhere, but it was just me sweating, and the woman had left no stains, so it looked like I could just like so I might have not gotten the dog because I had a puppy pad problem and but I did, Like I think, you know, if my sister died and all I had was her dog and I had I couldn't take it, but I wanted it to find a home. I'd want the dog in Saint Louis. I wouldn't want it to go to California. Yes, like I just even if I wasn't gonna see the dog, because I don't think the guy is going to visit the dog, I would just want it in the vicinity. It's like you just gotta and so, and I always believe everything happens for a reason, and like there is now there's a dog out there that I wouldn't have that I'm gonna get. And when I get it, I'm going to be like, I can't believe I almost didn't have you. And I know that dog is out there right now, shivering in a cage somewhere.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, there is.
Speaker 3: That's what.
Speaker 2: Also, you and Chris had a conversation about having a dog because you guys are living together now.
Speaker 3: Yes, we had a conversation for that.
Speaker 5: That's exactly right, Like we're we wouldn't have had the conversation if it wasn't for this dog.
Speaker 4: And now we're ready for whatever that next.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we had a really good talk about like what the expectations were with the dog. Like all I wanted Chris to say was like, I just with Luigi Marian it was always Nicky's dogs, even though he was like very present in their lives, and it always kind of like I just was like, man, I want it to be our dog, you know, like I just want him to say my dog, and like then I have this thing with the person I love, like that gives me kind of the thing maybe that a maternal instinct where you're like making something with someone and so for this, I was like, you'll be just as accountable as you were with Luigian Marian, which was like very helpful, but not the not the number one Like I'm always I will do the most of the work because I that's what I want to do. I really do, Like I want if I'm getting this dog, like I know that I'm taking responsibility for it, but will you just say our when you.
Speaker 4: Say it on the radio.
Speaker 3: And he was like yeah, I can do that, and aw And Chris is also the as I've said on the podcast a million times, the best part about him is like if I ever need anything. This guy does it literally anything. Uh, he will make sure it happens with no questions asked. No, like you forgot that, I gotta mail it?
Speaker 4: Like no, I always thought the best part about me was my jawline.
Speaker 3: I mean, you're forty two now, baby, I know it's not looking.
Speaker 4: No, your jawlines has never been better.
Speaker 3: Actually, I took a picture of you last night that really made me laugh where he looked like he was just making a bad face and I was like, happy birthday, baby.
Speaker 4: I love his smile.
Speaker 3: It was so funny. But no, I I grew up in a house no offense, dad, if you're listening, But like and my mom too, where every like if something if like my mom forgot something at home and they were trying, it'd be like, Julie, why did you forget that? Or like e j, you should have remembered the fucking garage door. And it's like, ah, I did not repeat that. In my relationship, I have a relationship with someone who doesn't go like why did you do this? Like it's always just like okay, we can go back. Oh that's it's like it's like a compassionate, like that sucks, but like we'll take care of it. It's not like a punishing What were you gonna say, Well.
Speaker 5: No, I thought I thought you were gonna say that. I was really responsible. And when I was here last time, Brian, do you know this. I ran out of gas in Nicky's car. Heard it's not his fault though I've never run out of gas before. The car was faulty. I've never been in a car that ran out of the car is faulty.
Speaker 3: You saw it.
Speaker 4: No, it is.
Speaker 5: It's not as like obvious as when other cars run out of gas.
Speaker 3: It tells you what's set when you have seventy miles left and then it abandoned the there was no other warning until you're out of gas.
Speaker 4: That's a faulty Mercedes. And Nicky was up. So we started the car and I was like, I gotta throw some stuff away. You're going to see Barbie.
Speaker 5: So I drove, like, you know, like twenty feet away in the parking lot where there was a trash can, and I went and put I put something in the trash can, and I came back in the car with.
Speaker 3: The car starts like shuddering, like it's about to start sobbing. It's like.
Speaker 4: And I'm like, what's happening? The car's going like and then all of a sudden, damn, and I was just in disiplaine, and.
Speaker 3: I go, did someone go to the Reagan Museum a little time?
Speaker 1: I went to the seventy miles? It's not enough.
Speaker 6: No, It's like telling your kids when they're six that they're going to hit puberty one day, and then when they turn thirteen, you're just like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like, what's happening here?
Speaker 3: And so today Chris was like, when you have to work today, like, uh, maybe I can just I can go do my own thing. And I go, uh huh, just s up, keep an eye on that gas gauge. Happy birthday, all right. We're gonna take a break and come back after this. And we're back. So does anyone know anyone who's at Burning Man right now?
Speaker 1: I mean I don't, but yeah we do.
Speaker 4: We do know people. You just don't know that they're.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you just don't know that they're there. There's seventy thousand.
Speaker 4: This guy Glenn has got to be there. Mike is there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I feel like, yeah, definitely, A dude named A couple guys named Glenn, are there for sure?
Speaker 4: You're right.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: It's surprising though that you don't know anyone, like off the top of your head who's at Burning Man, because it seems to be the kind of thing that people talk about all the time.
Speaker 5: If they're going, oh, yeah, it's like it's a CrossFit or yeah, birthdays.
Speaker 1: So you know what happened at burning Man, right, rain?
Speaker 6: Yeah, so everyone got rained for days and then it got all muddy and then people one person died and people weren't allowed to leave Burning Man.
Speaker 4: It's that it could be like drug related.
Speaker 1: Or sure somebody died, but they.
Speaker 3: Someone think at least one person a year died. Yes, it does.
Speaker 6: Seventy thousands people doing drugs in the desert. I mean, it seems like there would at least five deaths a year.
Speaker 5: But it's like, what it's like the Kalis's wedding.
Speaker 4: What do they say. It's like, if I.
Speaker 6: At least yes, if at least two people don't die, it's a dull affair and a doth Raki wedding.
Speaker 1: That's a Game of Thrones lore.
Speaker 6: Spoiler alert. Several people die at the doth Raky wedding, and is.
Speaker 3: That the Red Wedding. I saw the Red Wedding.
Speaker 5: That's not that's a real spoiler, but that's Ago cal Drogo.
Speaker 4: Was she topless for it? No, she was topless that night. Cool.
Speaker 3: Nice, nice.
Speaker 6: So it rained a lot at burning Man and it got really muddy and it got so muddy that they had to shelter in place and they weren't allowed to drive home. So some people including Chris Rock and Diplo, had to walk six miles in the mud to leave burning Man. Which I know it's in the mud, so that makes it more difficult, but walking in a six mile.
Speaker 1: Hike is not that long, not at all.
Speaker 6: But still people were then posting to social media like it was more like a flex and like a and it's also like.
Speaker 3: A straight line. It's not like they're going through mountains, right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but with the mud, I can understand it being a little difficult. They probably didn't have like proper gear to like hike, but like six miles you could do, you know, in like a half a day.
Speaker 1: And people were like posting.
Speaker 6: On Instagram and the other social media that like this. They were like refugees from Syria, you know, they did they just got out.
Speaker 1: And also how.
Speaker 6: Amazing transformative experience it was, and like they were expecting to get some sort of what's the word, uh, people people caring about this people, what's the word trying.
Speaker 1: To think of?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, female sympathy.
Speaker 6: They're trying to get some sympathy for this and and try to seem cool. But instead everyone's just like fuck you, fuck you, fucking losers.
Speaker 5: They are gonna be insufferable every all seventy thousand people that were at this thing. It's it is gonna be like we're gonna hear stories about it for the rest of our lives. We're never gonna get to We're never gonna hear the end of like.
Speaker 6: Oh I was at the burning Man well, and imagine next year is burning Man when you have new when you have people at burning Man next year and they're like, yeah, but I was at the one last year. It was when we were in the Mud, and when I'm a better person than you because I was in the Mud one, it's just gonna be I.
Speaker 2: Don't know if this is true or not because I read it on Reddit, but apparently there is a private plane at burning Man that people take just so they could join the Mile High Club. It's like one of the attractions there. Sure, that's like, come back down. Yeah, it's just a theme park.
Speaker 6: It's become like maybe in the eighties when they started Burning Man, it was like just a bunch of hippies trying to figure their shit out. But now it is just a theme park for the rich where people not everyone's not.
Speaker 3: It does sound transformative and fun. I've been sold on it slightly by people, and I was the biggest like, oh god, Burning Man. I don't want to go because it's camping and it's muddy and it's like communal, and I don't want to have to like talk and hug a bunch of people and people be like what's up, man, and like share my food? Like everything's there's no money, it's all bartering. Yeah, yeah, there's no money. Everything's bicycles. And that was like, sold to me, is like a good thing. I'm like, no, I.
Speaker 5: Don't know who's selling it to you, because it does not seem like a thing that you would have a good time at.
Speaker 3: Enna I can't. I'm just saying like I don't. I have some people in my life who I think are cool people that like it, so I don't think it's that lame because I just trust these people to be not as lame as the type of Burning Man person. But I will say I do know someone who's there who I really don't like. And at first I was like, hah, this bitch is stuck in the fun. And then I go, oh, Fox, she's gonna have this stuff. She's going to be worse than anyone. So it's like it's almost like it's it's a better for them than if they just had a great burning Are you kidding me?
Speaker 5: The people that go to Burning Man just want to talk about Burning Man, and this gives them this license.
Speaker 6: It becomes their life, like as their personality now is that every year they go to burning Now.
Speaker 5: That being said, I'm very interested in going. I think I would do better at it than you would. I'll go with you.
Speaker 3: That's only cute, Yeah, sorry in a good way. That's sexy. Yeah, you'll like you anymore. You'd never have I just found out. But yeah, I'll go with you. I would, I'll go. I feel protected by you, right because you protect me from things that I don't care for In situations like that, You'll make it as comfortable as possible. You feel like I got your charger hooked up here, and I'll do this ystent a cord. I got this frisbee that lights up. We'll do that, Like he'll bring side a lot.
Speaker 4: I like a lot of light up Frisbees.
Speaker 3: And you went to ari I the other day and he got it. There was a sale. He got me a blanket.
Speaker 4: I love a sale at ur It just.
Speaker 3: Gets me little gifts and like it's I didn't know it was my love language till I till I knew. So he got me a beautiful little blanket that is just like a thing you can ball up into like a really nice pillow or use a blanket. And he got me a light up frisbee. That is fucking cool. It's for us, got us a light up frisbee.
Speaker 4: Well yeah, and for like you know when you're here, like if you want to go.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But also this thing that I think might be.
Speaker 5: Good for a lot of different people to travel a lot. It's only ten bucks. It is a uh it's like a scale that you hold in your hand that you can weigh your luggage before you get to the airport, so you don't have that like panic for two hours before you get to the airport to be like, am I at fifty three pounds?
Speaker 4: Are they gonna bust me on this? Am I gonna look like an idiot?
Speaker 3: Unpacked my bag vibrator out? Yeah?
Speaker 4: So it's like.
Speaker 3: Rator. I mean, the magic wand is industrial. I guess it's probably one point five pounds at least. But yesterday I was like weigh my leg So I was like laying in bed and Chris was just like hooked it to my leg and I was just like just lift up. So we were weighing my legs. They both weigh the same. Yeah, twelve point five. Just about would you you guys would go to Burning Man?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 5: I mean I know that we all make fun of it, and we should. It deserves to be made fun of, but it still looks cool and fun. Does av want to go?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: No, really, but he likes our cultures and he likes rescue. But it's not like it's not an outdoor outdoors thing. It's it's more about like being artsy and like eclectic and on drugs and the whole bartering thing.
Speaker 6: Like I would want to go to Burning Man just so I can justify my hatred for it, Like I would go and be like, now I know for sure that I hate this. This sucks the people here, they're confused and flailing.
Speaker 5: That's what's happened, taken to a different world. So like I loved Sleep No More in New York, that thing where it was like you go in, I love that, And then like Beyonce's like a concert recently. Yeah, it's just like you get taken to a different place for a short period.
Speaker 6: Fake place that costs millions and millions of dollars but purporting to be an anti capitalist utopia. Instead, it costs several hundred million dollars to make, and the CEOs and the top ten people make over three hundred k a year to put it on. It is a hypocrisy, It is a farce, and it has become it has become a playground for the wealthy to destroy the environment essentially and and post something on Instagram that makes them feel like they're superior to people who don't go.
Speaker 1: That's what I viewed as.
Speaker 2: And I thought I thought it was free, but ticket prices start at five hundred bucks and vehicle passes are one hundred and year.
Speaker 6: You spend thousands of dollars to go, so This is not if you are It's like, if you are an actual person who lives in the desert and lives in a yur you cannot afford to go to Burning Man?
Speaker 3: Yeah wow, okay, are there scholarships and then?
Speaker 6: And like I understand the transformative experience in taking you to a new world. I'm not saying there's nothing good about Burning Man, but I do wonder for these people who have transformative experiences. Is Burning Man transformative? Or is doing shrooms and transformative?
Speaker 3: That's what it is?
Speaker 1: Is it because you did DMT? Is that why you're thinking.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's a cool place to do DMT, that's for sure, But I don't think Burning Man is a requirement to have a transformative experience on shrooms.
Speaker 5: I agree, But there you're also with like minded people, so like you're with you feel like you're in this ultimate safe space as like minded people, because that's the brand, you know, is like we're coming here to be like one hundred percent ourselves in some way, and then we have to go back to our lives.
Speaker 6: Except we know, I mean we're not. We're we know enough to know that if you get seventy thousand people in a spot you are not in a safe space. Out of those seventy thousand people, there's at least twenty five thousand people.
Speaker 1: Who have who are just weird.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and there is ten thousand people who have malicious intentions, not like I'm gonna kill you, but like I'm gonna try to fuck your girlfriend. And then there's gonna be five hundred people who probably are evil. That's just humanity. And now you're putting that's all together with no rules in the desert, there's no water, and you're setting things on fire and doing drugs and you're telling me this is what you want to spend three thousand dollars in a labor day weekend on.
Speaker 3: We need some one who's been to Burning Man on this show to speak, And.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I am sort of like having their back in some reason the way I mean I mean safe space, like emotionally, I don't mean like physically. But I will also say that every institution that has ever existed, whether it starts with you know, good intentions or not, becomes perverted by people who will get into that institution and make it way worth I mean, I mean, you look at our government, you look at basically every religion, like all of those were probably started with the best of intentions and then have been perverted into something where it's like it all ends up being like, because we want to just make money and have power, you want anybody who wants to make money and have power will will seek an institution right that they can manipulate so that they can have power and make money, and burning man is no exception.
Speaker 3: Final thought. I was listening to this interesting podcast called Stuff You Should Know that I go to sleep listening to almost every single night, and it always helps me to sleep. But then I also learned something and it takes me probably like four weeks to get through one hour episode because I always fall asleep. But then I I slowly absorbed the information and there was this one episode about the Bilateral.
Speaker 4: Fuck.
Speaker 3: I forget what it was called, but it was something about how like when our brains when we snapped into consciousness as humans, there's a theory that before we had consciousness and had like our thoughts in our heads that we knew were our thoughts. We thought this is thousands of years ago. Before consciousness began, humans thought that thoughts in our heads were God or a ruler talking to us. So if you had the thought of, like I'm going to itch my leg, there wasn't the thought of like this is my leg, I'm itching it. It was God is telling me to itch my leg. It was. Any thought you had in your head was just God or the ruler, the ruler of your little before religion.
Speaker 1: So it was it was.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 5: It was like basically, after you're smart enough to to like be aware of something before we were aware intelligent enough that we had like our own agency somewhere in between that in evolution.
Speaker 4: Yes, it wasn't.
Speaker 3: It was. It wasn't like a god like they didn't have.
Speaker 5: And Ronald was the one telling us to scratch it. Well you should not bad.
Speaker 3: That was really good. So it was it was an idea of God, of being like a supreme being. Like they didn't really have religion yet, but it was just this supreme being or they thought it was the voice of the ruler, the guy that was in charge of everything, like the kid that was in charge of the whatever tribe you were in. So no one was like I'm hungry. It was like God's telling me to eat. I'm just like it's almost the way I feel about free will where it's like their brains weren't them.
Speaker 4: They weren't like I am.
Speaker 3: It was just like I'm a robot operating on this system of someone's just feeding things into my brain and I'm acting on that. So that's what they all quote unquote thought, because thoughts weren't really what they were doing. They were just kind of working on this automatic response. Then at some point they became intelligent enough that it was around the Bronze Age, I believe when we started working with tools and it made our brain smarter because they figured out a way to make bronze that we snapped into consciousness and all of a sudden, it was like I like, I like, our brains became on one side of your brain and the other side of brain started working in tandem, and that became consciousness. I'm really like butchering what this means. But pretty much religion was invented for a nostalgia for that supreme being that used to tell you what to do. So these people suddenly were like, now I'm responsible for everything. I don't like this. I now need to invent a god because I miss the glory days of when I was just an automaton that was walking around like a zombie being told what to do by this god. And in religion, then this is all a theory based on like some anthropologists back in like the you know, in the twentieth century that came up with this theory. But it kind of all jobs together because it's like religion came right after consciousness probably showed up, and so we missed being just told what to do automatically and not having to like take accountability for our own actions, and so we invented religions to give us some sort of like pathway. And I just thought that was pretty interesting. And I love this show and it like, is is there anything that always puts you guys to sleep like this show? I don't know what it is. It reminds me of maybe my parents having a party in the living room. I was here like kind of muha voices or.
Speaker 1: Gates like the fall sleep.
Speaker 6: You're at a sleepover when you're a kid or something and you're and there's you're at camp and there's just two people chatting and you're just kind of listening, and it's just a safe place to be because you know, if there's two people having a casual conversation, then everything's probably pretty safe and you're not awake.
Speaker 4: Enough to fight off intruders.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and also there are probably people.
Speaker 3: To a caveman sense. Yeah, that's so funny. Abviy.
Speaker 2: We were on a road trip and then you know, like he he really likes history, and you know, like we'll watch documentaries and I'll always fall asleep. We were on a road trip once and he was listening to book on economics because that was his major, and he's like really into that stuff. I could not stay awake, Like I really tried to listen and synthesize, but I think it's so much information that my brain just shuts down and then I fall asleep.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think any kind of like knowledge, like when you're that, I think that's what the show is. I always pick a subject matter where it's like the you know, there was one about the end of the Bronze Age, which like the collapse of this like the world was doing great during the Bronze Age for like there was like societies and there was kind of beginnings of governments and everything, and then all of a sudden things started to fall apart and the society completely collapsed. And I'm kind of interested in that, because it seems to be what we're on the cusp of pretty soon, and I kind of want to hear how it begins and like how it starts and trickles down until everything is just chaos and ruined, because that's what happened, like everyone died off, all the society like there was obviously some people survived because we are here now. But so I'm just like, have you guys read the book Sapiens?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: I tried reading it.
Speaker 3: You love it? I tried.
Speaker 1: I just couldn't get.
Speaker 6: I tried to listen to it speaking. It's pretty dense and like, I don't know. I I tried to listen to it. I'd rather just get This is one of those instances where I'd rather just get a blinkst summary of it, because he just kept going on and on. I was like, do I really have to read all of this in order to understand what they're trying to say?
Speaker 1: Like what's your what's the point?
Speaker 6: I usually love shit like that, and I just couldn't get through Sapiens.
Speaker 3: I think I'll like it because it's linear and it like will take you because I feel like when I learn about history, it's like these moments, these little like batches of history, and I go, but how does that fit into the rest of it? Because I don't know, Like when people here's the dumbest question I've ever asked, maybe on the show, when people say B C E is E different? Does E add something different to BC? No, it's just ERA. I think, really, why are we throw it on an E?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 3: One needs that. Stop making it. You sound smarner than everyone else. So is the world just a D zero? And then BC? Is that all we do? Or is there something before BC?
Speaker 6: No, that's just it just keeps traveling back into eternity? Okay before Christ anodonomy, right, Louis. You know Louis.
Speaker 1: It's such a great joke because.
Speaker 3: He talks about like people in BC didn't know the date was like eighty BC, right, and then it would be weird, like on New Year's Eve they'd be like, and now it's seventy nine.
Speaker 4: He's like, what are we counting down to the fear of being like, wait, what is this all leading to?
Speaker 3: They didn't know Christ was coming and there was no date before then. It's such a brilliant it's.
Speaker 5: Such a ridiculous thing too, that like that we started time two thousand years ago. I mean I know that, like the Chinese calendar is on, like what is it like four thousand, seven hundred and ninety or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that huge calendar also is good.
Speaker 2: Oh really yeah, I think it's like fifty five hundred and change.
Speaker 1: I'm so ignorant FI or something. Three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did feel smart this weekend on the on the crossword puzzle.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, crossword puzzle.
Speaker 3: Like Brian, me and Chris have crossword competitions where we time. We know they're timed anyway, but we're trying to like we do like every every I would say, Monday through Friday. We send each other. Most of the crosswords has been a couple of weeks now and and see who wins. Brian is probably winning at this point.
Speaker 1: I've lost quite a lot. I mean just yesterday was a huge victory for me.
Speaker 3: Huge He beat me by like Chris and I did twelve twelve something minutes half.
Speaker 4: The time you did twelve. I did fourteen, And Brian died in the sevens.
Speaker 3: In the sevens on a Monday. It was really embarrassing for us over here. But I don't understand it because we are in love.
Speaker 1: There are people who can do next to.
Speaker 3: Each other and just staring at eyes were getting lost, so that if you you got to have Ali do it next to you too and see.
Speaker 6: If she doesn't do them at all. There are people who can do, especially the Monday crossword, in like under four minutes, like a sub four minute mile. And I don't even understand how you can type them in that fast.
Speaker 3: No, I know, because it if I even have a typo, I go I'm done. Yeah, like I'm gonna.
Speaker 4: Go I've screwed everything.
Speaker 6: Yes, if you're just reading the answers from an answer key typing it in, I would still think it would take four minutes.
Speaker 3: There are sometimes on a crossword where I feel like, oh, this one I got lucky because I remember in sixth grade we had someone come to talk to our class and he was from Berkina Fosso. Oh yeah, oh, otherwise I wouldn't know what Burkina Fosso was in a million years. And we had a hint the other day that was like country Burkina blank, and I was like, Fosso. That would have been one that I just was like, what the hell is this?
Speaker 4: You slum dog millionaireed it and.
Speaker 3: There are a lot of sports references where I go, well, Chris is gonna have the advantage here home court.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Every time I see some sort of variation of a sport one, I'm like, there's how does Nikki ever get this? And I know that's like the point of crossword puzzles is that well the other letters?
Speaker 3: The answer is Untold, the documentary documentary series on Netflix that I am very much into, and I I have a lot of information about a couple certain things Malice at the Palace. If you want to know anything about the Ron art test fight in the stands, I got you. Johnny Manziel, I know all about him and Mantiteo. The I love sports like Jordan's Jordan, Oh my god.
Speaker 5: Well, I had a bit of a some something where it's like the only Nikki can only get into sports if it's like fifteen years ago present day sports. It is like not interesting to Nicki at all. It's like she needs to hear the story, the drama.
Speaker 3: Sure moments, I mean, I got I was very much involved in the Tanya Harding Nancy Kerrigan thing when I was in fifth grade. I was because it was captivated the nation. I mean there was crime involved. That was It was in fifth grade, and I was like, I knew all about it. My mom was, you know, up on it. My mom was a big Court TV watcher, even though that wasn't on Court TV or whatever, but she's just that kind of woman. I knew all about the OJ scandal. I was in sixth grade. I had strong opinions about OJ. But I love these sportsocks. If you guys have any suggestions listeners for good sports documentaries for me, please send them my way. We're gonna go back through thirty for thirties tell us which thirty for thirties are the best ones to watch. Chris does have an ESPN dot com subscription because he is a boy.
Speaker 4: Last night, I go, let's watch thirty for thirty.
Speaker 3: We were looking at one that we used to watch that we made fun of called Broke, where the whole time guys are just like man. We were spending. It's all about like diamonds, how true athletes go bankrupt fast, And the whole thing is just them being like man. We had cash flowing, strippers, cars, watches. They just listen and.
Speaker 4: The money wouldn't stop.
Speaker 3: It's a half hour of them listing things.
Speaker 5: They yeah, yeah, boats, boat yeah, cars, and it never ended, and we thought it would never end, and so we kept buying things shoes.
Speaker 4: Watch it.
Speaker 5: We're like, okay, cool, where's the story and they're like man, man. And then I kept buying things. Ever, I was buying things for my family.
Speaker 4: And the ground picks are all like money flowing down and like cleaning supplies backing up.
Speaker 3: It's like the dumb It's like v h one, like I love the nineties, but done ESPNS. It's so funny. So I go, we should watch that again, like we watched it in twenty fifteen. We've been making fun of it ever since. We didn't even finish it. I don't think we were just like this is ridiculous.
Speaker 4: It was just so I was like, we should watch it again, and last night I.
Speaker 3: Go, it's on. I go, we gotta buy it though it's ESPN dot Com And Chris was just like, babe, I don't think you said babe, but what were you said?
Speaker 4: I don't remember what I said.
Speaker 3: Do you think I don't have an ESPN dot com subscription? What do you even think of me?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: We do? Think you're driving with right now? I go a guy that does it. That's about to run out of gas.
Speaker 4: We won't need it at burning in this relationship.
Speaker 3: All right, Chris Convey, Happy birthday, than Thanks for spending your Thanks for waking up early to do the pod on your birth.
Speaker 5: Wouldn't have it any other way except except that I would be.
Speaker 4: Yesterday.
Speaker 3: We slept till we were in bed. You can get two two o'clock. We really did it. It was awesome.
Speaker 4: And then I will say we went to maybe we'll talk about.
Speaker 3: Tomorrow going to the Middle Eastern restaurant because I made you laugh by being myself.
Speaker 4: Oh I don't remember what you did?
Speaker 3: That's what do you do in there? Come on a little bit more.
Speaker 4: Does that ring a bell?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: What is that?
Speaker 3: Sir? Come on, you can do better. Okay, that's a teaser for tomorrow. All right, guys, thank you so much for listening to the podcast. As always, check out my tour Nikki Glazer dot com. Chicago Theater coming up September fifteenth, and you're in the Chicago area. If you have friends in the Chicago area, send them to my show. It's going to be so much freaking fun. Yes, Chris Convey's brother Tim is going to be opening for me on you will also be there. It's going to be one of the greatest shows of my life because it said this huge, amazing theater in Chicago where I just feel so special and I want you there, I want my besties there, and then the rest of the t is going to be so excellent. I'm so excited, but pale in comparison to the Chicago one. Yeah. Wait what No, Once I get to Chicago under my belt, which is the first one, the rest will feel much. They will, I will, I will. I'm gonna feel so good at any point in the tour you see me, I'm going to be I mean, I'm I'm cooking with gas right for my stand up.
Speaker 6: You're you're like building up this stuff. You're gonna go out there on this tour and you're gonna have so much new material and it's just going to be.
Speaker 1: You're so ready to go out on tour again.
Speaker 3: It's crazy, I know, and I thought I wouldn't be because I've been stagnant for two months. But I am ready. We gotta go. Thank you guys so much for listening. We'll see you tomorrow on the Poscably Cast. Don't Beka and just what.
Speaker 4: Give some more? I mean, you can give us some more, but that's not enough. Wait, what do you do with the eet see you tomorrow?